Honor First, Honor Last, Always Honor

Printer-friendly version

________________________________________

Honor First, Honor Last, Always Honor.
The Beth Pruett Story
by Beth Williams
Copyright 2010, 2011,2012, 2013

________________________________________________________________

A Story of Love, Medicine, the Military, Orphans, and Viet Nam
________________________________________________________________

Caution: A small part of this story depicts events related to the sexual abuse of a child - me. No, it didn’t happen exactly the way written, but close enough I still, have an occasion, flashbacks. ________________________________________________________________

The Chief sort of wilted. “I don’t know how to say this gently. The first BabyLift flight out of Vietnam crashed. It will be on the news tonight. Already the Mayor, and worse, the Newspapers have been clamoring for their favorite Emergency Medical Technician to help. So… you’ll be packing your bags. The Mayor talked to the Governor. The Governor called the President. The President called the Pentagon. The Pentagon called the Governor’s Military office, repeatedly, then the General called your CO at Moffett Field, and then your CO called me. As of 0800 today, you have been federalized.”

Very brief note: some of this contains material originally in “Between Christmas and Hell,” and “Angel of the Bay.” 85%+ of it is brand new. The repeat is meant to set the stage… If you want to jump ahead, you can pick up the totally new (as opposed to stuff I’ve rewritten/edited) at Book Three (grin). This single story has taken more time than anything else I’ve ever written. This is also the longest novel I’ve writ-ten at 361 pages in Microsoft Word. You are the reason. I hope you enjoy. Oh, and remember, this IS fiction. FINALLY, I’ve posted this as a single story. If it’s too large, please let me know and I’ll start breaking it down into smaller files.

Merry Christmas, and I pray/wish you have a prosperous New Year!

-Beth

Book One: Between Christmas and Hell

Chapter One: No Love, No Friends, and No Hope, Oh My!

My name is Beth Pruett

I should be dead.

Fortunately, I’m lousy at suicide. Besides, looking back it turns out I’m not so bad after all. The holidays are completely crazy around here. Besides Cindy and I, and “our” husband Dick and My Mom and Dad, and my Biological Mom, and my Godfather, who was also, sort of, my husband, all live in our multi-generational home. I've seven loving and responsible kids, the three I gave birth too, who had lost their first mom, and the three birthed by my wife, and I delivered (yes, in answer to your question, my three oldest children were born to Me — the female me, and their other Mom, Mary (a woman I deeply admire, even though we’ve never actually met face to face) and my Godfather. My Momma and Daddy, and Dick’s parents. I almost forgot Priscilla and Trang and their three kids. Add in any given weekend and the number can climb, a lot. For instance, our kids’ could add eight grandchildren, or my brother and his brood of four kids. Confused yet? I promise, it’s really quite proper. It’s just one of the mothers is what you might call “not all there.” You’ll find all the answers to these truths later on. Finally, I’m married to the most a wonderful, caring spouse; she's shared my ups and downs for over 30 years. We’ve both had great careers; good retirement; and two brand new grandbabies.

As I look around, even with our setbacks, I have to say I am truly blessed. It wasn't always that way.

In 1969, I was Seventeen years old, and I was quite close to killing myself. I was depressed all the time. I didn't know what to do. My mom would stay up late at night making sure I got home safe. She knew I was down, and she often blamed herself. I'd cry myself to sleep, begging God to change me; make me man or a woman, just please Dear God, don’t let me stay a Tween, as in between. I knew I was a girl and it was tearing me up inside. Oh, let me explain. I’d been born as Robert Williams. Yes, when I was born the doctor told my parents they had a little baby boy. They just didn’t have a clue. Trying to live as a boy started killing me slowly from the day I was born.

I had been cross dressing since before I was five, when my babysitter, her boyfriend, and I would play “games,” That episode in my life ended when my mom finally understood the truth I’d been trying to tell her for more than three years. Mom should have guessed something was wrong when she found her un-derwear under my bed. When asked why it was there I told her:

“I don't know, Lisa (my babysitter) always dresses me up in her clothes." Mom just brushed it off until later when I asked why girls died if boys didn't pee in them?”

That got her attention. Under questioning that rivaled the FBI, it came out that Lisa not only dressed me as a girl, but had played some pretty sick games with me and her boyfriend. Games I really don't remember. Thank God, my brain won't let me. Instead, I have memories of memories. I would “pee” into Lisa, then Lisa would dress me and I would go out with her and her boyfriend where I became both of their toys.

My mom listened intently, and then dismissed it as the overactive imagination of a child; right up there with my imaginary friend. Why is it adults don’t want to listen to the truth? Then when it bites them in the ass they blame the victim. An overactive imagination? I knew better, but then I was just a child. No child could imagine what I went through. Mom found out about it at the drive-in theatre, but I’ll save that story for later; I shouldn’t get ahead of myself.

As I grew older, I continued cross-dressing. I knew what I was, but had no idea what to do about it. I'd dress in my mom's clothes — so what if they were too big? I would dress up whenever I could — especially playing with my female cousins, snatching a pair of panties that I’d wear 'til it was time to leave. But it was ALWAYS kept hidden. The pain I'd endured with Lisa and the punishment I'd received from my fa-ther left their mark on me: DON'T GET CAUGHT!

Twice I almost was. The first time I was in sixth grade, my mom, (not thinking about the past), suggested I dress as a girl for Halloween and go to the Halloween fair the school was having. Then to go trick or treating with my friend Joelle, a girl friend (as opposed to “girlfriend”) who lived right across the street. The night before Halloween my mom and her mom, and Joelle were trying to convince me as I stood there, made up and wearing one of Joelle’s dresses and a pair of heels, though they could not have possi-bly been as high as I remember. I refused, as I was blushing, dancing from foot to foot, stuttering, crying, and arguing against it so strongly that Mom gave in. Thank goodness she didn't see my eleven year old erection. She asked Joelle to go with me up to my room and see what she could do. If nothing else, be sure I didn’t mess up her dress.

Joelle knew how to get to me. She always know how to get to me. She argued that, if a mere girl could do it all the time, then I should be able to do it for a night. Joelle could clearly see my erection. I think she had far more than dressing up in mind. Joelle and I ran away to my room, I was scared and embar-rassed. Come to think of it, maybe Joelle did notice. She initiated a hug pressing our hips together in a very different kind of way. Then she kissed me. I exploded, messing up a pair of panties. In that brief instant, I was hooked on girls. We kissed for a few minutes, then she showed me one way to pleasure a girl. Both of us were clumsy, but decided it was a very good thing anyway. She asked if I really wanted to stay home from the party. I stuttered and stammered. She promised to make it worth my while. I smiled, then she smiled. I decided facing down the entire sixth grade class was a small price to pay.

Joelle ran across the street and brought back a different outfit. A “push-em-up bra that was padded while looking “au naturelle.” A blouse, a poodle skirt and a pair of saddle shoes that weren’t quite so high. A piece of bubble gum, found inside the vinyl handbag became part of the costume. Joelle wore an identi-cal outfit. To complete the look, she had a pale blue scarf in her hair and I had a pale green scarf. We were nearly identical; that was what made the costumes so special. The two of us won the best costume prize at the school fair. After trick or treating, one weekend when we were the only ones home, back in my room we explored each other. It was no trick, and it certainly was a treat for her as well as me. She and I enjoyed each other, though we never actually had intercourse. We were able to get together occa-sionally. We learned a lot from each other.

The second time, I was 15, still wearing my mother's clothes on the sly. As I started to apply makeup, my adopted sister walked into the house. I ran from the bathroom to my room screaming for her to stay out. I managed to change before she could catch me. For months, I lived in fear that she had seen me — and would expose me. I got my revenge by slipping the lock to her bedroom and wearing her clothing when she was away from home.

Still, I knew what I was. A girl trapped, unable to get away. I still didn't know what to do about it.

In high school Billboards appeared advertising a movie I thought might contain some answers. So… in a supreme act of bravery I snuck out of my second floor bed room and went to see the late showing of “The Christine Jorgensen Story.” I was totally scared to death of what my father would do if he knew, so I pushed my Honda 90 motor cycle a couple of blocks down the road before starting it, and rode to a nearby town - riding to a theater that openly catered to queers. There was even a gay bar next door, “The Monkey Pod.” I was scared spit-less. I wasn't queer; I was a girl in a boy's body. I guess I looked like fresh meat. A couple to guys tried to talk to me in the ticket line, their attempts turned to taunts as I stood there, head bowed ignoring them till I could purchase my ticket. Inside, I felt safer, but sat in an aisle seat away from everyone else in the sparsely attended flick. The movie wasn't very good, but I learned more than I'd ever even dreamed of.

That fall I was a sophomore in college. The school offered counseling services as part of the Student Health Center. So … I mustered my fear and turned to a college counselor for help. She wasn't very helpful. She told me I was a homosexual and I about died. I tried to correct her, but, she kept blathering on that I subconsciously tried to express homosexual feelings through the clothing I wore. Finally in an-ger and frustration I left. On the way out she suggested seeing a doctor or psychiatrist.

Just freaking great! If I went to the doctors, all I would get, as my dad constantly told me, was a shot in the ass and a bottle of pills. So I went to the shrink anyway. The school also offered genuine psychiatric help through the student health services. The psychiatrist and I spent several sessions through the semes-ter. The sessions seemed to always be the same damned litany of questions:

“Why do you think you're a girl?”, “Have you spoken with your folks?”, “Why can't you just admit you're homosexual and then we can work on curing you.” Yadie, yadie, yada, over and over again.

It came down to a simple fact. I liked girls. Period. It all came down to If I mentioned it at home, my old man would blow a gasket. His response would have been somewhere between disowning me, or kicking my ass, or hell he might even put a bullet through my head. He was sure one loving and supporting bas-tard. Maybe he’d offer a cigarette before the execution. I wondered if he’d give me a blindfold. When I was fifteen my brother and I argued about who would wash a dirty skillet. My dad in frustration and rage, took the pan, and threw it into the back yard where we argued. We turned to see who threw it. It was aw-fully heavy, we stopped, stunned when he lifted a shotgun to his shoulder and shot the skillet. Don't get me wrong. I loved my old man more than I could (or would at the time) ever say. But, when he was drinking, frustrated, or angry, I knew to stay out of his way. Crap!

At the time, my mom wouldn't have handled it any better. When I was about 17, after a glass (or 3) of wine she confessed to feeling terrible because I was so “different.” She had apparently read a story of abnormalities being discovered in children whose mothers took drugs (in Mom’s case it was ampheta-mines and DES) during pregnancy. To control weight gain, her doctor prescribed truly massive amounts of amphetamines to keep her weight gain to 20 pounds. To be sure the baby was born she was given DES. Gee, I thought, maybe there IS a reason. Before I was born I was a druggie; a tweaker from before birth; that'll screw anyone up. Born into this world a tweaker, shaking from more than just the average birth trauma. A year later she reminded me of the repeated abuse by my babysitter. She blamed herself for it. And I started to see a pattern.

I suppose I should round out the years before this came to a head.

Like many kids, I'd played sports growing up. I loved baseball, and played well. I hit the ball well with a .360 average — mostly multi based hits. I never hit a homerun, but had more multi-based hits than anyone in the entire baseball league. The only trouble was I couldn’t run worth a damn. My dad, coach of my Little League team used to sarcastically call me “lightning.” He would constantly taunt me at practices and at the games. If he wasn’t calling me “lightning’” he would shout at me “You run like a damned girl!” I’d ask what he meant, and He had one of the other players run past me, then he told me: “See, Steve runs on the front end of his foot. Try running that way.”

So, I’d try running on the front end of my foot, which caused another painful round of name calling. “Robbie, now you run like a ballerina, a pink frou-frou ballerina.” No matter what he said or threatened I could not run faster. Many, many years later my orthopedic surgeon pointed out my legs were both slight-ly deformed. Below the knee they bent outward about 15 degrees. So, I ran like a girl! No duh! If he on-ly knew. Maybe my Dad would have helped; maybe he could have arranged for surgery or something! Maybe he would have... it probably wouldn’t have made any difference.

I did manage to impress my dad. I could shoot. In fact I was good, very good. When I was eleven my dad took me to the firearms safety course for kids; we were going hunting, and he wanted me to have a license. That way we would be able to kill and tag twice as many deer; at least that was his idea. I’d been playing a shooting game, winning milk shakes every week at a mini-mart up the hill from where we lived. Dad figured that meant I could shoot. The instructor made us shoot from three or four different positions. One was kind of sitting and kind of kneeling. You had to twist and turn to get in position. The instructor turned to my dad and said,

“Your son’s doing great, he hits what he’s aiming for every time and usually it’s only girls that can get into all the positions so easily.”

My Dad turned red, I hung my head, but inside I was happy. I didn’t tell anyone the reason I could do what girls could do was because I was one! On the way home he kept muttering about doing it like a girl, and I must be weird, that’s why I got teased, that’s why I couldn’t run. The teasing he took care of. My father enrolled me in aikido classes; it was learn or get a beating. The beating would take place in the do-jo, and if that didn’t have the desired effect dad was always willing to go another round. In sixth grade, I didn’t like hunting or killing things, I really didn’t fit in, and I didn't like to fight. The assholes took ad-vantage of that last. Still, it was one or two blows and the fight was over.

Then they decided to “teach me a lesson.” One afternoon, the last day of classes, on the way home someone knocked my books down the steps of the school. Then as I bent to pick up my books someone kicked me in the testicles. I bent over and they knocked me down on the cement steps. Then someone banged my head against the concrete, repeatedly. The lights went out.

About half an hour or so later I woke up in the nurse’s office. The nurse glowered at me. “Why do you kids have to keep on fighting?”

You know that camera effect where focus went in and out. That’s what my vision was doing. “I don’t know ma’am. I don’t even know who did it. I was just walk…”

“I don’t give a damn about anything except because of you I’m going to be late picking my kids up from school, and late getting home, and late with Claude’s dinner. All because some pissant kid gets what’s coming to him.”

“But…”

“Right now, I don’t care about anything you say.” She turned her back on me and I blacked out again. When I woke up my Mom was there, and my time in elementary school was over.

Jr. High sucked. I couldn't seem to do anything right, and hung with the geeks out of self-defense The trouble was, after I put down the first three bullies they got together and pounded the hell out of me. In High School, the specter of Jr. High followed me. I got ganged up on. I managed to survive.

It was important to my father that I play football. He'd played in the very same High School, and I was expected to follow in his footsteps. I didn't really want to. I wasn't really big enough. Nevertheless, there I was in football camp, suffering twice a day morning and afternoon in the arcane rituals of high school football.

Camp finished, I quit, and there was hell to pay. My dad looked at me as though somehow I wasn't “man.” —Duh, get a clue yet Dad? Mom was more subtle, and that made it feel even worse. Unable to take it at home, I returned and begged the coach to let me play. He'd seen it before, and kindly reopened the doors to Hell. The next year the school district changed the district boundaries and I was transferred to another school. There I played, well only actually practiced, on the Varsity team, again subjected to the rigors of Hell. This time my brother got to join me as a freshman sacrifice on the altar of school spirit. After a few weeks he quit. Being somewhat tougher than I, he managed to make it stick in the face of my father's wrath. Tables were turned when we discovered the kid had mono. He was off the hook, so the honor of the family rested solely on me - again.

Now I want it understood, I wasn't very good. Strong — well sort of, coordinated — very, but I never put it all together. I never looked like a football player, and I never really bulked up. Another fact haunts me, my father came to two games. In three years as I maintained the familial glory, my dad didn't really seem to care. I HAD to play football, He didn't have to watch. Fortunately, my senior year, I was injured suf-ficiently that the coach dropped me from the team, and more importantly, my dad didn't throw a fit.

The rest of the year the school jocks played smear the queer, and I was IT. The hell of it was I wasn't, and “proved” it by their standards the last day of school. As a senior, with everything done, I challenged the biggest bastard who'd bothered me the most, and coach, laughing all the way, got out the boxing gloves. All the pent up anger and hate rose up and I lashed out. I pounded his ass. Second Round, 15 seconds in, he turned and ran. Oh, the coach stopped laughing, but that was later …

I survived the last year through hiding in the science classrooms. Girls were important, but I never seemed to have anything other than girl friends. The girl I took to the Junior - Senior Prom my junior year, was my father's boss's daughter, yuck. My senior year I took a girl I barely knew (as a favor to my best friend), and found myself running away when she told me SHE was the victim of sexual abuse. Her father made sure she knew just what to do to please a man; and “would I like to take a shower with her?” This was after I’d taken her to see the movie “Hello Columbus,” with Ali McGraw’s shower scene. The idea was if I took her on a date the week before Prom then it wouldn’t seem like a mercy date for either one of us. I didn’t really care what anyone said, but my best friend was paying so we went out that one time — with my friend and his date. Oh, click, his girlfriend’s best friend was my date. …take a Shower with her? Like in the movie we saw? Then maybe take her to bed? I just wouldn’t or couldn't put it to-gether. Besides, there was something vaguely disturbing when I thought of taking her to bed. Her lack of kissing skills could have been the subject of a book. A THICK book. The all plastic waterproof edition; no wood in the book (or me) at all.

My first year in college I went to a great school as a scholarship student. I flunked one course after de-veloping pneumonia. Argh… After 14 days of suffering alone in bed, staggering downstairs to the cafe-teria to eat, my girl friend asked why I hadn't called her. I told her I was sick and she said she would have stayed with me and nursed me back to health. How could someone so smart be so stupid with girls? Oh, forgot for a minute, I am one. So there I was, if the depression deepened much more, I'd wind up dead — I'd kill myself. I sometimes thought, would it be a better statement if I jumped from the top of the girl’s dorm, it certainly was high enough! Or should I jump from one of the Academic buildings? My dorm was only 3 floors. I’d figured out how to get around the locks to the roof my second week on campus. The problem was the height. I didn’t think it was high enough that I would go splat and not survive. If I told my folks, I'd wind up dead as my dad “fixed” his queer son. If I talked to anyone else, I'd most cer-tainly have been outed, and, and if lucky, thrown in jail for trying to avoid the draft (Oops… did I men-tion Viet Nam?).

Still, I was getting very desperate when my shrink came across an article on the transsexual. He told me about something called the “Standards of Care.” Finally, maybe, I had an answer. He consulted with an endocrinologist, and blood was drawn. Then, together they prescribed the hormones suggested. Like my dad said; “a shot in the butt and a bottle of pills.” I'd decided to pick a fight with my folks, get thrown out, and pursue my dream, or at least survive. What was my dream? I don't know if I'd really sorted that out. Babies were in it, I loved the little critters. I'd babysat since I was 11 and loved it. I guess my ideal job would have been child care — at least till I had my own. But I knew it was a dream I'd never fulfill.

I'd had my second estrogen shot in November. It was the first week of Winter Break. I really wish I could remember everything that happened, but my emotions were really swinging, though paradoxically the estrogen helped to keep me more “stable.”

Quietly I gathered a few very basic pieces of clothing. These I hid in my car, an Opel cadet. If you don’t remember those, they were so flimsy and hit a dog, you lose. I started leaving my guitar in the car. I played pretty well, having played off and on since I was 12. I hoped I might be able to “sing for my sup-per” while waiting. I installed a CB radio in the car; the CB craze was in full swing! But remember, back then, there were no cell phones.

“Christmas is a week away,” I told my mother as I placed my presents under the tree. “I really want to go camping with my new girlfriend for a week or so, up in Yosemite.”

My mom was really upset with this, as “Christmas was ALWAYS Family Time!” (You could hear the cap-itals in her voice). That was just what I'd hope for. We argued and screamed at each other while I quickly packed a duffel bag with things and clothes I thought I'd need; some clothes and toiletries. I grabbed a couple of sleeping bags out of the garage along with Dad's brand new self-standing tent for four. I laughed as I thought of his anger. At least it wouldn’t be directed at me after I was gone. I drove down to the bank and withdrew the $2,720.73 I had in my savings account, and cashed in 18 $100 savings bonds, one for each birthday, was the sum of my savings. I stopped at a camping store and bought a week's worth of freeze dried food for me and my “girl friend.”

My dad had been home just long enough to hear the story from my mother, drink half a glass of his favor-ite beverage (Jim Beam) and start in on a slow burning anger. He started going ballistic as I walked in the door.

“What in the hell are you doing, boy? You go and some slut comes along whispers in your ear and sud-denly you're all hot and bothered to get your rocks off! Who is this slut and HOW can you forget about your family and Christmas? Go to your room, you're not going anywhere!”

I was feeling pretty bad at the way I’d screamed at Mom, but on the other hand he WAS treating me like a kid. I'd rather walk out over this than to tell them the truth of my problems. So, I let go with my final shot.

“Pop, I'm outa here. You treat me like a five year old. You call my girlfriend, and your possible daugh-ter-in-law, a slut. You send me to my room? Well I can't take it any longer. You KNOW I've been seeing a shrink. You KNOW that I've just been hanging on by the skin of my teeth. Before you guys kill me, or I kill myself, I'M OUT of Here!”

Wow, what a speech, what a performance! I practically skipped out of the house, slamming the door on my way out. I quickly started the car, and I was gone. Well, first I stopped by my shrink. I told him my plans. I admit he wasn't happy, but he recognized the truth. If I continued the way I was going, the only way he'd see me was in a grave. It was a few days early, but Dr. Saunders went ahead with my next shot. We agreed I'd be going to the Stanford area, and finish the paper work enrolling me in their transgender program. I left with a bottle of hormones, and a bottle of anti-androgen pills. I promised to call him eve-ry week until I was firmly established at Stanford Medical Center. He promised to write my folks, telling them in outline what was going on, he would also drop them a note each week.

I took off north from San Diego on highway 395. In Escondido, I stopped at Sears for a little shopping. It was nothing fancy, a pair of bell bottom jeans, a tie dyed shirt, some undies, and a cardigan. In the mall, I stopped at May Company and had my ears pierced. It was after the Summer of Love, but earrings were still the sole provenance of women. No one said anything. My long hair, fair and hairless face combined to convince the woman at the jewelry counter; and my ears were pierced with a snap. As I was leaving, I dared to stop at the cosmetics counter to buy a lipstick, nothing outrageous, basically a neutral color, maybe even just a little redder, but it did wonders for my confidence.

Back on the road, I drove north through Los Angeles, stopping at the top of the Grapevine. I found a cheap motel (would you believe $7.00 for the night?). Yum, freeze dried dinner, and a Tab from the vending machine. I left the next morning, wearing my new clothes. The drive was boring, I was driving north. At the bottom of the Grapevine, I branched off Highway 99 onto the brand new highway, Inter-state 5. This was almost 200 miles of arrow straight “super highway.” North to Highway 152, just west of Los Baá±os, West over the mountains to Gilroy, then north on 101 to Palo Alto. This would be my new home.

HOME?

Merry Christmas… Tears began to fall. Was it too late to go back?

Chapter Two: A Reason for Loving

Sunday December 16, 1970

I dried my eyes and pulled into a gas station. After filling my Opel, I looked in the phone book for an inexpensive motel. Driving on, I pulled into the Motel Sixâ„¢ I'd found. It was a Sunday, and I figured I'd not be able to find any permanent place to stay, or to work. I unpacked the car, and spent some time planning my afternoon and plucking my eyebrows. I looked into the mirror, and saw a rather plain look-ing girl. Since I was stuck until Monday, I thought I should look into some more clothes, and the things I'd need to live so I headed for the closest Goodwill. With Christmas only ten days away, the store was open, and busy. I won't bore you with the details, but, I wound up with a few outfits. The mall was my next stop.

I suppose I should take a moment and give you a brief description. At the time I was 5' 10”, and about a size 12/14 overall. I have green/hazel eyes that appear to change color depending on what I’m wearing. I’ve an oval face, and hair that reached my shoulders. I know men often have a hard time passing as women. I've never had that problem. Before moving to the San Francisco Bay Area, I had been dressing as a girl whenever I had a chance. I suppose in some ways I was reckless; any of our neighbors could have seen me, and I’d not be here had they told my parents. I wrote of almost being caught. What I did-n't write about were the times I dressed and went out for the day. Sure, the first few times my heart flut-tered it’s way to my mouth, but I quickly realized there was nothing to fear. I started going to this coffee shop/smoothie bar at a teen club in a town 24 miles away. I made friends there. I’d be studying, and nursing a coffee or coke along while I studied. After a while I was part of the scene with the local kids who hung there.

When you act appropriately to the time and place, walk like a girl, talk like a girl, look like a girl, and smell like a girl then you must be a girl.

Fear meets reality, and reality wins. It helped immensely of course that I was a girl. I think most of “passing” is attitude and being appropriately dressed. Little things, like, you don’t wear Anime “school-girl” clothes to church. Nor do you wear skirts that went down to your knees. My friends practiced the fingertip rule (your dress/skirt can’t be shorter than the tips of your fingers). They got a couple inches shorter skirts, just by practicing having shorter arms. Of course it didn’t much matter for me. I didn’t get to wear skirts anyway.

There's also an immensely important fact most pass over. Women come in all shapes. Men are basically rectangular, oh some have a big belly, but that’s about the extent of body types. Women can be shaped like an hour glass, or an apple, or maybe a pear, or a triangle, broader at the top, or at the bottom. Our butt might stick out — or not. We may be well endowed, or flat as a board. There is endless variety.

This is one of the reasons we love shopping. There's the thrill of the hunt, and the euphoric feeling of winning the Lottery when we find something That.Fits.Just.Right. All of which is compounded when you can find it on sale or have coupons that reduce the price by some ridiculous amount. FYI, do NOT get in the way of either my wife Cindy; my Mothers; or me when there's coupons involved. Savings are a mat-ter of pride. Usually Cindy beats us all by a significant amount. I don't mind THAT much, as she fre-quently gets away from the grocery store with her loot, having saved 25-45%, sometimes significantly more. Cindy recently went clothes shopping with $200. When she got home the house trembled as she danced her way up the stairs. The final total: 5 complete outfits; plus a jacket; and accessories; and 4 pair of shoes — and she had money left over...

Sorry, back to the story, back to the mall.

I entered the mall, and went straight to the directory. I struck gold when I discovered two salons. With my hair in a ponytail I entered the first and asked if they had any openings? Of course they did, but I had to ask. I undid my pony tail and asked for a haircut. Gayle, the stylist, clucked over the condition of my hair, but accepted my story I'd been camping and had singed the ends, which I had to cut off without a mirror. She asked what I'd like her to do. I told her I'd like to keep as much length as I could, but could she feather it to frame my face? Gayle smiled. I was asking for the same style many of her customers were wearing. It was basically straight, but curved in gently around my face. And I still could pull it all back into a pony tail. She insisted on washing and conditioning my hair, telling me it was dreadful what I'd done to it. My hair was thick and full on its own, almost too thick, and Gayle asked about thinning it a bit, but professed enjoying working on such luscious hair. I just smiled.

I was really happy with my cut, and I didn't mind paying extra for the salon's hair products, and a curling iron. I walked on to the next salon. I didn't want to be too obvious in my personal makeover. I asked for a manicure, and nail extensions. The manicurist also managed to up sell me to a pedicure. Here again I caught hell for the condition I was in. Like Madge on the detergent commercial, she set my fingers to soak, then pushed back and trimmed my cuticles. She used fiberglass extensions but I won't bore you with the details of her work on my nails. The pedicure was great! I'd never had one. It felt heavenly. My feet were left to soak while she finished my hands. She then began on my feet. She scrubbed my feet, removing all the dead skin. Then, like my hands she groomed the cuticles and toe nails, and then applied several coats of a pearly pink polish that matched my nails. Ah… bliss.

Floating on cloud nine I walked down the mall, window shopping, looking for a dress I could wear to a job interview or a social event. I got distracted passing the Merle Normanâ„¢ store. Walking in with my plain face, gorgeous hair and killer nails made the sales lady drool, relishing a sale. 30 minutes later, with a fresh makeover I looked GOOD! I even bought the cosmetics to repeat the look.

Someone had raised my cloud, so I'm sure everyone was looking up at ME as I floated by (or at least I hoped so).

Back at the motel, I hung my meager wardrobe, and put everything in the room's drawers. I walked down to the office and asked if they had a weekly rate. The manager looked up at me, did a double take and smiled.

“That's quite a difference, Hon.” She asked that I twirl around, “I was worried about you, earlier, we sel-dom get single girls your age staying here” she said, and we began to chat.

I found out her name was Noreen, and that she and her husband, who was a Palo Alto policeman, owned this Motel. She asked what I was doing in Palo Alto, and I told her I hoped to enter a medical program at Stanford. I discovered she and her husband were from Tulsa, Oklahoma, which was just 50 miles east of the little town my mom grew up in.

She smiled and said, “That’s nice,” but every time the conversation wound down Noreen would pick it back up. Her husband Rex walked in as she mentioned, “Oh, my favorite show is coming on,” she said, walking over to the TV, changing the channel.

”Rex, why don't you go get Pizza, so we (we??) don't miss our show?"

Rex asked what I liked and I replied I like Hawaiian - pineapple and ham, wondering what our “favorite show” was.

Rex had been gone about ten minutes, we were watching Wonderful World of Disney when the front desk bell rank.

“Okay Hon, here's your first customer!" Nor said as we walked behind the counter; it was two adults and two children. The children were, I'd guess, nine months to maybe a year old for the baby and the other about three, and whimpering nonstop. What did she mean, “My first customer?” I figured it best if I con-tinued to play along with her.

“Merry Christmas! How can I help you folks tonight?” I asked. The man was in cami’s and wore railroad tracks (captain’s insignia). He said they'd be there until the day after Christmas when he was to catch a Military flight out from Moffett Naval Air Station to Vietnam. I filled out the paperwork. Then, while they were paying for it I took the littlest one in my arms.

“What's her name?” I asked.

“That one's Jillian, named after her mother, and her sister is Amanda." After a few seconds Jillian stopped crying, deciding pulling on my hair was more fun. I handed Jill back to her mom, and placed the bills in the drawer.

“If you'd like to one night I could watch the little ones and give you guys some time alone together…” Nor smiled at me and nodded.

The captain, obviously wary, asked “Why would you do that? You don't know either of us …”

“No sir, I don't, and maybe it's a bit old fashioned, but I believe we should support our service men.” It was obvious he hadn't heard that in a while.

“We might take you up on that offer, but believe me; the offer alone has made my day. They took their key, and found their room. In the meantime, Noreen took me into her arms.

“Thanks Hon; that was a very sweet gesture.”

About then Rex returned. ”Hey, I thought you guys were watching TV.”

“Yep, then the desk bell rang and I had Beth take care of an Air Force captain and his family. She even offered to watch the kids before he shipped out to ‘Nam. The poor guy started leaking tears.”

“Did NOT,” I protested.

“Beth,” Nor reached out to take my hands. “Maybe you didn't see it, but he was definitely crying. Sol-diers aren't very welcome in the Bay Area.”`

“Well, that sucks!” We went back to the TV and our soda. Sensing my funk over the soldier, they didn't bring them up again.

Disney was over, so we changed it at 8:30 to Mannix. I enjoyed the way Rex made fun of the detective hero of the show. He laughed at it, even while telling us just how bad the show portrayed law enforce-ment.

I enjoyed sitting with Rex and Noreen. It wasn’t the programs, it was the honest love and amusement. In bed I marveled at being taken in. They were caring, open and honest; completely the opposite of my fam-ily. I hoped and prayed that night I might someday be part of a family like that.

Monday, I dressed early, wearing a blue skirt and a cable knit sweater. After drying my hair, and getting it right with the curling iron, I grabbed my purse and headed out. I had a quick breakfast at the Sambo's next door to the Motel. I felt ready to face the day.

The first thing I did was open a bank account. The account had the names Robert Williams, and Linda Elizabeth Williams. The checks were all made out to Linda Elizabeth “Beth.” I drove over to the Stanford campus only to find it closed tighter than a rain soaked drum. There was NOBODY there, except the li-brary. The campus police were helpful, AFTER I'd purchased a parking permit day pass. I managed to find the housing office, which was closed, but, there were several listings of private houses with rooms to rent. With hope, I dialed the 8 or 9 listings I'd copied. Most were gone, and of the few I did reach, all were taken.

Discouraged, I bought the paper (The San Jose Mercury News). There were a few jobs flipping burgers, but that was about it, unless you were willing to work construction, or some other food service, Hey here's one, ticket taking at the movies. Argh … I was really miffed. After all, this was the Big City, part of the San Francisco Bay Area; and not just any City, but THE CITY, San Francisco. Undaunted and determined not to waste the day, I got directions to Foothill College. Whatever else, I planned on taking classes and working on my degree — whatever it might be… They too were closed, but I was able to pick up a catalog, class list, and book list. Finally, I visited San Jose State College, also closed for the holidays. I drove around, and came across a movie multiplex. It surprised me that “The Way We Were” was still showing. I needed distraction so I pulled in to watch it. A small popcorn, large Cokeâ„¢, ticket, and two hours later I felt refreshed. I was really worried about what I would do, but I wasn't getting ready for a panic attack. On the way out, I bought two tickets for Thursday night and a gift certificate for popcorn and Coke.

That evening I stopped in again to chat with Noreen. I learned she and Rex had been married for twenty six years and had no children. Every summer either she and Rex, or sometimes just her by herself, trav-eled to Oklahoma, or her sister and nieces would travel to California to see Noreen. She enjoyed her ex-tended family. Five brothers and sisters, and her Mom all lived within twenty-five miles of each other. Family had always been important in her life. Not being able to have any babies of her own, her nieces and nephews were really important to her.

Noreen then introduced me to one of her passions, Scrabble. It was fun, but I got creamed. Noreen was a Scrabble genius. While we were playing I told her about Thursday evening, that I had bought tickets and snacks. I asked if I could watch the kids at her place. Noreen hugged me, and said she'd love to help. Nor asked me to help with dinner, When Rex got home he was impressed with my plans and suggested dinner at a local place I knew nothing of.

He took out one of his business cards and wrote something on the back. I guess I was too curious. “Yes, curious cat, you can see it,” he said. On the back, he wrote: “Pedro, please serve Captain Edwards and wife whatever they would like, Appetizers to Dessert. My daughter bought tickets for them to see a mov-ie, and she is going to babysit their children; so I immediately thought about you — Rex. I’ll pay you Fri-day, Nor, our daughter, and I will be in for dinner.

I started crying, “You can’t do that!” I said between tears.

“Why not?” Rex asked.

“It’s not true!” I gasped.

“What? You did buy tickets didn’t you?”

“Yes, but…”

“You did say it was for dinner, didn’t you?”

“Yes, but…”

“You are going to watch their children aren’t you?”

“Yes, but…”

“Oh, I’ll bet it’s because I made plans for Friday without asking you first.”

“No, that’s really nice of you.”

“Then what’s wrong?”

I really started blubbering all over myself. “You told them I was your daughter!”

“What? Noreen said they think you are our daughter. Right?”

“Yes, but…”

“You don’t want to be our daughter?”

“Stop it Rex, you’ve teased her enough.” Noreen opened her arms and I let him push me into her hug.

“I’m sorry Beth. It’s so easy to tease you, and you’re such a delightful make believe daughter.”

He opened his arms to me and this time Noreen pushed me into his hug.

After a hug, and a chance to clean up my tears, it was still relatively early, so the three of us went out on our mission of mercy.

Fortunately the Captain and his wife were in. Like proud parents, Rex and Noreen pushed me forward.

“Captain Edwards,” I began. “I had the opportunity to pick up tickets to a really romantic movie that I'm sure your wife would love to go to, along with snacks for Thursday evening. Noreen has agreed to help me keep an eye on the kids and Rex has suggested a really romantic dinner for the two of you. I'd RE-ALLY like to do this for you. I think more people should be thankful for our men in the service. Can I watch the children for you? What do you say?”

He chuckled. “Thank you, young lady; we'd love to take you up on your offer. But, I have to ask, what IS your name?”

I was mortified and felt about 12 yrs old and began to blush really bright red. “Oh, I'm sorry Captain, I'm really nobody, I mean, my name is Beth. Well, actually, it’s Linda Elizabeth, but everyone calls me Beth.”

Captain Edwards, with his wife beside him turned to Rex and Noreen, “You must be very proud of your daughter.”

With a twinkle in her eye, Noreen said “You have No idea how much.”

Thursday I again called the houses I had not yet been able to reach. Nothing. Either they didn't answer or the room was no longer available. I was getting scared, and had a crying fit. I picked up a paper at the office where Noreen noticed the red rings around my eyes. She invited me to stay and help pick up for the kids. There was an entire bedroom that we cleaned out. We made up the bed, and moved it so that two sides of the bed were against the walls, and the end blocked with a dresser. Nor pulled out a box of toys they kept around, and I washed and dried them before putting them on the bed.

A little before six o’clock the Edwards showed up to drop off the kids to play. Boy, did I need those kids. That evening I cheered up a bit playing with the babies. After they were asleep, Mary Tyler Moore, and Carol Burnett were on TV. About eleven the Edwards returned, a smile on both faces. Both were grateful for the night out. After hugs, they left, and a few minutes later I said good night to Noreen and Rex, then went back to my lonely room. The next day would be better. It HAD to be.

Nothing. No one was home. I wound up going to Smart and Finalâ„¢ with Nor. She was all bubbly and I have to admit it was infectious. With nothing really to do I agreed to go to the mall with her. It was weird. She'd point out a dress to me, and it was YECH. I'd point one out to her and she'd look at the hem and blush down to her ankles. At least we agreed (sort of) on shoes. Nor had to find a present for Rex. We wound up in “Things Remembered” where she picked out a pair of bronze baby shoes. She wouldn't let me see what was engraved. She just told me to mind my own business; it was going to be a surprise and she didn't want me to accidentally spill the beans. We had a light lunch at the food court, half a sandwich and cup of soup each.

I wanted to stop at TOYS R USâ„¢. Inside I found a couple of soft plush animals that would be nice for the little Edwards girls, since they were going to be here for Christmas. I asked if the motel did that with the guests who were staying with us over the Holiday. Noreen answered that no one had ever asked that before. Noreen said she would think about it. We then headed back to the motel. I helped her unload the car; she insisted I stay for dinner. The menu? Meatloaf and baked potatoes. It was incredible. We traded recipes on meatloaf, using mine for dinner, and she showed me how to use a Radar Range. It looked like something from Mars. The range hummed like a plane taking off, but the potatoes only took 6 minutes each. Together we cut vegetables for a tossed green salad in a big bowl. I made a pitcher of sweet tea, and dinner was ready.

Rex walked in, still in uniform and stopped dead in his tracks as his nose sent heavenly messages to his brain. Rex changed, came in and hugged Noreen, and asked what smelled so good, and I thought we were going out? Nor just smiled. I helped bring the food to the table. Inevitably, I suppose, and I'm sure you've guessed it, the meatloaf was a hit. We sat around after dinner. They told me of the many places they'd been, the baby they'd lost, and the joy they found in each other. Half the time I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Rex turned on the TV and I helped Nor pick up, (can you believe they had a dishwasher?) I walked on down to my room, got into bed, and prayed for my friends, and their poor little one who never had a chance to live.

We finally went to dinner on Saturday night. The Italian restaurant was wonderful, though it wasn’t very big. Pedro treated Rex like he was some big shot, and fussed over me and Noreen. My family almost never went out to eat. I wasn’t used to the service, nor the quality of the food. It was heavenly to be treated like I was someone important. That’s not really the right word, maybe worth something.

I got up and dressed as nice as I could. I was going to church that morning. After all, Christmas was in only two days. I wasn't a religious fanatic or anything like that, but I thought it was the thing to do the Sunday before Christmas. I looked in the phone book and chose Peninsula Bible Church in Palo Alto. It was by far the largest church I had ever been in! Imagine my surprise when I discovered Noreen and Rex were there. Noreen made room for me between them and gave me a little hug as the service began. I started crying. I'd just realized Nor had hugged me more in one week than everyone else in the previous year. I got a strange look or two from Rex, but Nor just held me closer. As the service began, I finally managed to dry my eyes as I enjoyed the Christmas Hymns and found myself relaxing for the first time in weeks. After the service, Noreen and Rex insisted on my going with them to lunch.

We dropped my Opel off at the Motel and Rex took us to a “Sizzler,” kind of a fast food steak house where everything except the steaks was served buffet. I wound up with a petite fillet mignon, broccoli, cauliflower and a baked potato, with a Tab to drink. Nor and Rex both piled it on. Rex really opened up a lot, explaining He'd met Nor during the army just after returning from Korea. I mentioned my dad had been in Korea, serving in I Corps; Rex continued, talking about witnessing several of the atomic tests. As he said that, a cloud passed over Noreen's face. They were going to have a baby, he explained. When the baby was born it was seriously malformed. All because of the tests Rex had been ordered to observe. Rex then mentioned their child would have been about my age had she survived.

I mentioned I too had been born with a birth defect, which was the reason I was going to Stanford. When pushed, I admitted my defect had to do with my reproductive organs, and that even with the best care I'd never be able to have babies. At which point both Nor and I began to weep. Rex sat looking dejected. I had an idea. Noreen and I excused ourselves to the ladies room. I asked if they would like a “family por-trait” if they didn't mind my sitting in for the child who had passed away. Noreen was ecstatic. Rex wasn’t given a choice. We walked down the mall to the Sears photo studio. On the way Rex, of all peo-ple, suggested matching “Mother-Daughter” dresses, and by the way, he would pay. Now I won't say we were quick or anything, but an hour later we were sitting for a portrait. Rex and Nor sat, while I stood be-hind them. It must have been a miracle, neither of us cried.

All of us were thoughtful on the way back to the motel. There were a lot of telling glances taking place in the front of the car. When we arrived, Nor went inside. “You two have a good chat,” she said, leaving Rex and I in the car.

“Beth,” he began, “Life has not been nice to my Noreen. Now as I see it, for whatever reason, you and Noreen have clicked together. This is good. She NEEDS a daughter. I just want you to know how I feel. I think you're a sweet girl either running from, or running to something, maybe both. As long as you are honest with us, we'll treat you like the daughter we never knew. If you try to use us, or hurt Noreen, you'll be looking at a world of hurt. Do you understand?”

“You should also know I’ve checked your car out; I was surprised to see the name on the title. I never would have guessed. I think there’s something you need to tell us, but I’ll wait till you’re ready.”

That scared me. He knew about me? He KNEW about me?? I looked somewhere down around my toes while shaking furiously.

Rex reached out reassuringly, “I know about the Stanford program for people who are in the wrong body. All I ask right now is your promise not to lie and not to hurt my Noreen.”

Finally I nodded yes.

“Is this something you'd really want to do — not just pretend, but actually be our daughter?”

“Yes, I'd like that very much,” I heard myself say as I looked into his eyes. I realized I’d had more genu-ine love and affection in the past week than I've had in forever. “Why me?” I asked, tears rolling down my cheeks, staining my new dress. “I'm a nobody who checked into your Motel,” I sobbed.

“Because you are who you are.” I looked puzzled as he said that. Rex chuckled as his tears began. “I could say you remind us of our daughter. Or that you seem like a desperate girl on the run who needs someone. Or maybe it's a Christmas Miracle. I don't know why, I only know what is.”

I puzzled through that and found it matched my own feelings. “Daddy … Yes?”

It was his turn to search my eyes. ”Okay, we’ll keep the secret between ourselves, but you are going to have to tell your mother soon.”

I nodded, too scared to speak.

“Okay, Princess, let's go tell your mom.”

‘God,’ I prayed silently, ‘don't let me screw this up!’

Nor was puttering around the apartment. As we entered, she turned quickly to Rex, who nodded. “Yes!” she screamed, running across the room to take me in her arms. This was going way too fast. I'd never been shown this much honest affection before. In my birth family no one got hugs; no one showed love, it was almost as if it were a forbidden topic. But first, they deserved to know the nature of my birth de-fect. I decided I couldn’t keep it a secret.

“Mom, before you say yes, you need to know something about me. I won't blame you if you decide you don't want me. Please let me tell you my story. I told you part of this, but you have to hear the rest.” I don't know what it was, maybe the pleading in my eyes, but they sat close together each holding one of my hands. “When my mother was pregnant with me the doctor tried to keep her weight gain down to 20 pounds. To do that, he gave her amphetamines. Lots of amphetamines. The amphetamines along with a chemical DES were given to help my mother have a healthy child. I think it damaged me in the womb. When I was born, the doctor saw nothing wrong. He thought I was a boy. I don't really blame him, there were no outward signs of the defect, so I was raised a boy. This was absolutely the wrong thing to do,” I started to cry.

Nor and Rex watched my familiar face disappear, as it became still, pale, almost mask - like. They say I looked almost like I was in a trance, if you didn't count the tears.

“From my earliest memories I knew I was a girl, so I thought it great fun playing dress up with my babysit-ter Lisa. It was the fall of 1960. I know the year because I remember seeing one of the political conven-tions on TV at Lisa's house. This fun didn't last for long. It was my sixth birthday when she introduced me to tampons. Lisa told me now that I was older I had to wear one 3 days every month or I would get really sick. When I asked why, her answer was, that's just one of the things we had to put up with, being girls. I didn't believe her, and I got sick, it was the mini epidemic of 1960-61. LOTS of GI tract misery. As soon as I was well enough for her to babysit again, she said, “I told you so. Next time it could be worse. I never doubted Lisa again. Every time she told me to put a tampon in, I did. Much of what she told me I'd not heard before, but I was a girl, and I knew my body would change as I grew older. I could hardly wait to grow my own boobies, and I didn't want to get sick, so I did what she told me. I was un-comfortable at first, but after a few times, I found it felt strangely pleasurable. I suppose it was pressing against my prostrate or something.

“Things got worse. She would give me a shower, always talking about how soon I'd grow my own boo-bies. She never made reference to my genitalia except in female terms. This made sense to me. I was a girl. Of course I would grow my own “boobies” It never occurred to me that Lisa was anything other than my babysitter and my very best friend. She thought it funny that with falsies, and makeup, I could pass as a young teen. And that led to my next step down the stairway to hell. Lisa would sometimes have me tag along when she went out with her boyfriend. She was supposed to be watching me, and I guess you could say she did.

“I was taking a shower when she told me her next lie. I'd just gotten out when Lisa told me it would soon be time for me to find a boyfriend. I told her I didn't want a boyfriend. Lisa looked at me with absolute terror on her face, “OH NO” she said and started crying. “Don't you know girls have to have boys pee inside them? If not, they get sick and die. I started crying too, and asked Lisa to help me. Lisa asked about my mom, and I told her my mom kept telling me I was just a boy, but I wasn't, what was I going to do? Lisa wrapped me in a towel and said of course I was a girl, and she'd help me. Maybe her boyfriend would help till I was old enough to find my own. I threw my arms around her crying and thanking her. Her boyfriend was all too willing to help. Looking back I guess they made the whole sick thing up.

“They did play a lot of really sick games with me. I trusted Lisa. I knew that even if I didn't really like it everything would work for the best. She showed me how to lick her boyfriend’s thing until it was hard and white stuff came out. This was the stuff girl's needed. Lisa would NEVER do anything to hurt me.

“Everything collapsed one Friday night. Lisa and I got dressed, skirts flared out with crinolines, and lightweight cardigan sweaters. A little makeup and we were off with Steve, at least that's what I think his name was. He took us to a drive in. Instead of getting in the back with Steve, Lisa stayed in the front seat, watching, but also keeping watch. Steve kissed me, which was okay. Then he kissed my boobies. That felt better. He reached down and took off my panties. “Please Steve, I don't want to die, please come inside me. Then he did. It felt like I could feel him all the way to my belly button. It hurt worse than anything I could remember. I screamed, I pounded against his chest, I cried but all that just seemed to make him more excited. After forever it was over. If this is what it took to stay alive, I thought I'd ra-ther die. I pulled up my panties and just huddled in the corner while they talked about it. Lisa got really pissed when Steve told her how tight a fuck I was, and how she should take lessons.

After a bit, I told Lisa I had to use the toilet. As soon as we were outside, I started crying, and Lisa started looking really sad. She took my hand and led me to the ladies room. I got really scared. The white pee was dripping, but so was blood. I screamed and Lisa came in. After using the toilet and some wet paper towels I got pretty cleaned up.

“Lisa and I started to make our way back to the car when we ran into my mother, and another man. “Li-sa! You're supposed to be watching Mi … Michele? Is that you honey?” I just looked down at the ground. “Glenn, hon, you've heard me speak of my kids. Well, this is Michele, and her babysitter. Could you give me just a couple of minutes?”

“Sure Teeny, I'll just get some sweets and popcorn for us all,” he said watching as he walked into the snack stand.

“What the hell is going on here?” she demanded.

I thought she was talking to me. “I keep telling you I'm a girl, but you won't believe me mommy. Lisa told me about how girls HAVE to have boys in them or they'll die! Lisa helped me so I wouldn't die. YOU DIDN'T! Don't you love me anymore mommy? You were just going to let me die!!” I screamed.

“Oh, baby, of COURSE I Love you.” She took me in her arms and held me as we both cried. Then she stood up and asked Lisa if I had anything in the car we were in.

Lisa told her, ‘No’, then my mom did something I'd never seen before. She wound up and slapped Lisa so hard she fell to the ground. “Is Tommy still at your house you slut?”

“Yes, Mrs. Williams.” By this time the man who'd brought mom to the drive-in was back and mom said we had to go RIGHT NOW. The man was mad, but I don't think it was at mom.

As we started to leave Lisa told my mom, “Mrs. Williams, please don't do anything rash. Remember I saw you at the drive-in with a man is not your husband.”

Mom just hauled off and hit her again, even harder than before. “You stupid little cunt, that's my brother-in-law. My sister's in the car.” She leaned down and said something I couldn't hear, but Lisa turned abso-lutely white. “Glenn, would you take Michelle to the car, then come back here? I need your help. After having seen his little sister-in-law deck the much larger girl, he cracked his knuckles, grinned, then took me by the hand to the car where I saw my Aunt Betty. Aunt Betty was surprised, but she got a good look at me, and pulled me on her lap. “That's a very pretty dress, honey. What's your name when you're all pretty?”

“Lisa calls me Robin.”

“Who's Lisa, Robin?”

“Lisa's my babysitter and my bestest friend in the whole world.”

“Where's your mom and Uncle Glenn, honey?”

“I think they're talking with Lisa, and maybe with Steve.”

“Wow, you have a lot of friends. Who's Steve?”

“Steve's the guy who saved my life. He came inside me and gave me the white pee that girls need to keep from dying. Lisa told me all about it, and we came to the movies so Steve could come inside me.”

“For some reason Aunt Betty turned white, pulled me closer, and started to cry on my sweater. “I don't understand Aunt Betty, why are you and mommy so mad at me? I'm a girl, but I got the white pee inside me, so I'll be okay. It hurt a lot, but it's getting better; and I'm not bleeding as bad as I was. Don't worry, Aunt Betty.” She just pulled me closer. She began to hum a lullaby, and rocking back and forth. Mom and Uncle Glenn must have gotten into the car 'cause the next thing I remember we picked up my brother and went home.

Things just got worse when years later I finally realized exactly what had happened. Lisa was not my friend. She had lied to me. I'd been raped. In my mind I knew only girls were abused or raped. Just like what happened to me. Mom never said anything to dad, so he never knew about it.

My mom went away one weekend for a PTA meeting. My Dad, not knowing about the problem with Li-sa, called and had her come to our house to sit with my little brother and me. I tried to tell my dad the Li-sa wasn’t a good babysitter. He just laughed and said everything would be alright. At first, everything was okay. Lisa brought clothes to play dress up in. I tried to say no, but she kept at it till I gave in. About an hour later Steve came by. As soon as I saw him I started screaming. I ran into the backyard and hid in the big brick barbecue. People could hear my screaming and eventually the cops came. My dad got home about the same time as the police. Pulling me out of the barbecue, he saw me in a dress, thanked the policeman threw me in the shower, and ripped the clothes off of me and left me there.

Meanwhile, Lisa was telling my dad she didn't know where I got the clothes. My father paid her then came back to me. He started yelling at me, calling me names and sent me to bed without any dinner. My mom came home later that night. She screamed at daddy, told him all kinds of things. Soon after, my mom and dad split. And for me, it was from the frying pan into the fire.

My parents refused to acknowledge what had happened. I knew I was a girl and continued to dress as one whenever given a chance. Though my folks got back together, my life kept slipping downhill, and during High School and college, I began to think of suicide, a lot.

At first my psychiatrist kept telling me if I'd just acknowledged that I was homosexual then he could start at “curing” me. Then he read about a program at Stanford for people who felt trapped in the wrong gen-der. Surgery would correct as much as possible. I started seeing a psychiatrist and an endocrinologist, trying to correct the damage done at birth. Three months ago my doctor started me on estrogen. I'll never be a mother, but I could adopt. At the same time things kept getting worse. My father's idea of a cure would be to beat it out of me, or maybe even kill me. So I had to leave or die. At the beginning of last week I left home. I screwed up, not really thinking of when classes would be out of session. So here I am. This last week I even discovered I wanted to live. I wouldn't blame you if you hated me, but you've been so nice I had to tell you the truth.”

With that, I ran out of the room and back to mine. I threw myself on the bed, bawling into my pillow.

Later, Rex told me what happened after I ran out. He’d turned to his wife, “Well, you were right, she does need us, badly. I thought it was something like that. But Lord! How could anyone possibly hurt that child so cruelly?”

“I can't see any boy at all in her, can you?”

“Honey, whatever quack that said she was a boy ought to have his license revoked!”

“Sweetie,” Noreen teased her husband, “Can I keep her?”

“Nor, you can't just “keep” people. But the two of you seem made for each other. You know she looks a lot like you did at her age. I'll be proud if she'll have us as parents. We better get down there before she does something foolish.”

“Thanks, Rex. And you look as handsome today as you did when we were married.”

There was a knock at my door. “Beth Honey, please open the door.” I could hear Noreen calling through the door.

”Young lady, please listen to your mother. We'll make it all work out.

‘Both of them? Could they really mean it?’ I opened the door and they both were there.

“Beth, let's go back to the apartment and talk. Their apartment was spacious. A full sized kitchen, living room, two bedrooms, and two baths. I hadn’t noticed it before but one coffee table had a ceramic Christmas tree, with Candles around it. Nor lead me to the back were I'd kept the Edwards babies. “How about we move you in here?” Rex asked. Nor nodded. “You'll have your own bathroom and bedroom. If you want, we can re-key the back door to give you a private entrance. Rex left us there talking about how to fix the room up.

A minute or two later Rex called both of us. “When your mother became serious, like last Wednesday, wanting to adopt you, I figured out how we could solemnize it. So we all understand what it is we are do-ing.” In front of a little Christmas tree, with its lights twinkling was a large new unlit pillar Christmas can-dle, surrounded by three lit candles, two pink, and one blue. Under the candles were note cards. In front of the candles was a family bible that Rex said had been passed down four generations on his father's side of the family.

“It's a lot like a marriage, but even more so, for you carry on for those who have come before, and pro-vide meaning for those who follow us. Please, there is an index card under your candles. Take a second and read it. If it expresses what you feel in your heart, you’ll have a time to read it aloud, or change it.” Noreen and I read through our note cards. We both began to weep.

Then my new Daddy began. “I, Rex Morgan Pruett, ask you Linda Elizabeth be my daughter. I promise to love you, to care for you, to guide you, to protect and if called on, to lay down my life for you.” Rex took the blue candle, and held it in his hand.

“And I, Noreen Constance Quayle Pruett ask that you Linda Elizabeth join our family. To be my daugh-ter. I promise to share those things passed from my mother and my mother's mother with you. I promise to nurse you in sickness, to guide you in all things, and to love you unconditionally.” Noreen picked up the pink candle and held it in her hands.”

“Beth, it's up to you hon. If you need time to think about it, take it. Your Mother and I will always be here for you.”

With that, I picked up a pink candle, and the note card that was under it. “I, Linda Elizabeth Williams, accept you as my mother and my father. I promise to love, honor, and cherish you. I will always seek out your wisdom.” Then I added, “You have given me back my life.”

With the last commitment made, Rex indicated we should join our candles in lighting the white pillar. Then one by one we extinguished our candles, and in the family bible, in the lines for the offspring of Rex and Noreen, he wrote:

“Amelia Constance Pruett. Born August 22, 1952, Died August 22, 1952. Below that

I wrote: Linda Elizabeth Williams Pruett, Born August 22, 1954.

Rex went to their bedroom and returned with a small jewelry chest. “Honey, these would have been Amelia's, or the oldest daughter in the family. We'd given up hope of passing these on. Please, open it.”

The first thing I saw was a lovely locket. I pulled it out and opened it. On the left was a picture of a much younger Noreen in a lovely white wedding gown. Wow! I DID look sort of like she did. On the right was a handsome man with a chest full of ribbons. The insignia of a Colonel, an eagle on his shirt collar.

“Mom? Dad?”

They both nodded. I handed it to my new daddy to fasten. Momma smiled as the two shared memories became one.

“Honey, are you willing to work in the motel? I can pay $5.00 an hour, plus insurance.” That being about twice what I'd expected, I started tearing up. “But, but you guys hardly know me!” I protested, over-whelmed.

“Well Sweetheart, that comes with having a police Lieutenant for a father. I checked out your car, then checked you out. When your Mom got serious, Monday, I called your high school. I was glad to see my “daughter” was interested in law enforcement, (It was true, I'd spent a year as a police cadet in High School, as well as Home Ec). By yesterday I thought I was getting to know you pretty well. Your psychi-atrist was glad you'd found a safe and stable environment. He said to tell you he was no longer speaking with your “real” parents after his one and only conversation.

“I also think I might just be able to provide you with a new birth certificate, and a new driver's license. “After all,” he grinned, “nothing is too good for my daughter.”

Christmas Morning

I got up early to make coffee, only to find my new folks had beaten me to it.

“Merry Christmas!” they shouted. I sat down on the couch as mom handed me a cup of coffee. Her smile nearly split her face in two. I wasn't sure what to expect, and neither were they. Mom pulled a package out and handed it to me, I pulled a package out from under the tree, and handed it to my new-found mother. She watched as I opened the package which contained a Barbie.

“I figure every girl should have a Barbie to play with.” I just laughed.

She opened hers to find a Christmas sweater, and inside a finger painted picture of a Christmas tree. To: Mom, Love: Your daughter Beth. It was really corny, but she began to weep, then wrapped her arms around me.

“I've never had refrigerator art before. Thank you so much!”

Daddy came over and hugged me, whispering in my ear. “Ya’ done good, kid!” Both of them made me feel good about myself.

Then Dad handed me a package. I opened it and found a new wallet. Inside the wallet were all the doc-uments that make us real to the world. Driver's license, Social Security Card, CPR, First Aid, Bank Americard, Sears card, and in the billfold area, a birth certificate. All in the name of Linda Elizabeth Pruett. Now it was my turn to cry.

“How did you ever get it all done so quickly?” I asked.

“Oh, Christmas Elves I guess,” he replied. “After all, my daughter's name should be the same as mine, don't you think?”

This time it was me doing the hugging, “Thank you, Daddy,” I said. He just glowed. I looked closer at the driver's license. “Hey, I'm Legal!” I cried.

“Well, Princess,” (I grinned at the nickname), “I know your mom said you could work at the motel, but I thought you might like to work as a policewoman.”

Mom just shook her head.

Mom reached under the tree and handed a package to dad. Inside were the bronze baby shoes we’d pur-chased at the Mall, inscribed:

To my loving husband, this time she came home.
Born: Linda Elizabeth Pruett, Christmas 1972

Chapter Three: New Family

It was a wet, gloomy March day in 1972 and I was a woman with a mission. My advisor at the Medical Center suggested I might find friends at the Q Student Center on the campus of Stanford University. Still, it was way cool for me, a 19 (well legally 23) year old to be here. I was told to look for it in the basement of the humanities building. The Q (gay, lesbian, and others) clubhouse had this cartoon of a very femmy gay man being kissed (or maybe mauled would be a better term for it) by a very stereotypical bull dyke.

The artist labeled it “The Den of Iniquity.” I wasn’t sure if I should enter, or run away! I entered. It turned out that as I was transgendered, it kind of made me an honorary member no matter my orientation. “Hey you,” didn’t do much for my self-esteem, but after a week or two, the inherent group inertia of the place kicked in. I wound up with a name button that had a picture of a very puzzled pelican delivering a baby. The pelican, with a big magnifying glass, was looking in the diaper of the baby. Under the picture was the name “Baby Dyke” followed by a bunch of question marks. Someone had started it as a joke, and then it morphed into this cutesy little name tag someone made for me. I decided it was easier to let it go than to protest it, besides, I thought it was cute. I felt wanted.

Later on, when they found out, they decided it really was good for me to be around. Seems it was useful to have a cop or soon to be cop hanging around the Den. The group felt kind of like I was their own “get out of Jail free” card with the Palo Alto Police Department.

And me not yet really twenty! I had two birth certificates, and both were mine, legally. According to one I was nineteen and male, but the other was the “official” one now. According to that one I was female and twenty-two. It was all a matter of perspective. When you are transgendered perspective counts for a lot. I look, act, and have lived as a woman since the day before I moved to Palo Alto. It just “happened” that my first birth certificate got the details “wrong.” I was blessed to find a father who knew people; and some of those were friends of my Dad, and some of THOSE were the ones who recorded birth certificates. Kind of like the Federal witness protection program, only local and friendlier. So… thanks to my Dad I was legally nearly twenty three, and don’t forget female. Was THAT a giggle or what?

I’d moved to the Bay Area to participate in the Stanford Gender program. I am, thank you very much, going to be fully, functionally, finally, forever, female in about three months’ time. Well as female as I can be. I’ll never have my own babies, and that hurts, but NOT as much as living and pretending to be a man did.

Early along the way I met my parents. It truly was a Hallmark Momentâ„¢. I’d checked into a Motel on a Wednesday and “lightning struck.” Mom was running the place. She just looked up, did a double take, and kind of adopted me on the spot. Daddy took a little longer, you see he knew I used to be living as a guy, uh, like the day before, and didn’t want Mom to get hurt. It took him till the weekend, and my meat loaf recipe! We really came together as a family on Christmas Day, 1973. Mom wanted me to continue as her apprentice in managing the motel. Daddy had other ideas. He had sent for my school records. When he found I’d taken police courses, he offered to sponsor me for the police academy.

Being one of only two Captains in the Palo Alto Police Department Daddy got away with all sorts of things which were not standard operating procedure. NO ONE wanted to argue with my Dad. But, between Christmas and the resumption of classes I earned some real and some not so real college credits that Daddy taught or knew I could learn at home, with him and Mom. Most of those were about various emergency services and procedures. He took the time off from Christmas to the end of January to run me through a VERY accelerated course of study to be sure I could cut it when the new semester started.

For five weeks, two hours every day he required that I exercise alongside him. That broke down to stretching, followed by the Basic Ten (you all know what I mean, jumping jacks, setups, pull-ups, ad nauseum). Then we ran and if I slowed him down we kept on running. I was exhausted, but he didn’t let up on me. After the run it was fun time (his words, not mine). I’d taken some aikido, and karate, in the Shotokan School; It’s a balls to the wall style that concentrates on quickly overwhelming your opponent, and putting them in their place, (ie: flat on their face). Dad’s teaching had no name, but I’ve never seen anyone stand against him.

To say my Dad did not cooperate with the known martial arts has to be one of the world’s great understatements. He’d stand there waiting for me to do something. Then, when I finally committed, he would maybe move his hand whereupon I found it impossible NOT to slam my face into the mat. It wasn’t easy, he was a master of some weird judo/aikido/karate hybrid, but I learned. I came to enjoy the half hour of running everyday with my Dad, and his hand-to-hand training, only one or the other each day, Please?? Sigh. Still, he never belittled me, never called me names, he would just help me up when I fell and push me to my limits.

On February 4, 1974 I entered a class of 40 that had been training together since September 1973. It was highly irregular for someone to join halfway through (much less a woman). I was tested, mentally and physically. The coach in charge of physical training “invited” me to lead the first run of the new semester. I asked how long and how far. The training coach told me five miles, no more than an hour, and as fast as I was comfortable with. I had scouted the area with a couple of runs with Daddy, and I set a brutal pace. I finished in just under 32 minutes. It took the stragglers the rest of the hour to trickle in. No one ever asked me to lead a run again.

On one hand, no one complained that Captain Pruett’s daughter received special privileges; everyone could see I worked hard, and trained hard; on the other hand no one wanted to mark me down. If I had a test come back with less than a “B” the instructors opened up after hours tutoring. It was optional for the class; for me it was required. They kept me, going over the material again and again, until I could get a better grade. Mind you Daddy was not happy about low grades. It only happened a handful of times, and I heard about it for days, each and every time. He wasn’t pleased with me, and it was worth more to study harder and get less sleep. I guess that was his intention. Prioritize my time and use it wisely. He was even unhappy with the instructors who were coaching me — not that he stopped them. When I had a bad day, or a doctor’s appointment, the instructors cut me way too much leeway. Still, with Daddy looking over everyone’s shoulder I graduated (honestly) in the top 10% of the class on June 14, 1973. Two weeks later I went to work for the Palo Alto police department.

My Dad was a master at making the “system” do what he wanted. He helped sort out my draft status by enrolling me in the California Air National Guard. “Officially” I was to serve one weekend a month, and two weeks every summer. Basic training was waived in lieu of the Police Academy. My college “degree” — the Police Academy, some college classes, and later Advanced Medical Technician training were smooshed together as the four year college requirement and was accepted as “sufficient,” to sneak me in the OCS program. Dad ran me through what I really had to know, and I was sworn in as a second lieutenant. In reality, I spent way more learning time than that. Essentially, I did whatever my CO or Daddy told me to do. What I didn’t realize was Dad and my CO had pegged me for para-rescue. Most of my training was focused on making that happen. I’d spend a week or two at some training event. Then it was back to work, uh, I mean my “real” work.

It was during this time that I found the Q. Outside of work I was wore a skirt nearly all the time; and the first few times I went to the center I got hit on by the lesbian crowd. Then carelessly, I let slip, I was in the Stanford Gender Program — but I didn’t say which way I was going. So I had some of the guys, and more of the girls wanting to go out with me (a year later there was no confusion, I’d grown into a set of beautiful “34B” boobs).

I just didn’t know who I wanted to be dating, so I tried to be an equal opportunity date. If I went out with a boy one week, I’d be sure to go out with a girl the next week. Not necessarily the same girl or boy. Not everyone who came to the Q was gay. I was so wrapped up in figuring out just who I was; the dating thing just wasn’t important. Let me clarify one thing; I’ve never thought I was pretty, or even just beautiful. In spite of my own doubts about my looks, I never lacked a date if I wanted one. Really, I just wanted a place where I could meet people; people who didn’t scream at me that I was “going to hell” for living the only life possible to me. On the gripping hand being popular was something I’d never been before; and I discovered I liked it, I liked it a lot.

I don’t want to leave you with the wrong impression. While I suppose technically I did spend more time with Daddy; I also spent as much time with Mom as I could. Most of what I did with Mom was softer, more feminine. That’s not really the right word, but it was very satisfying to my soul, and I didn’t have to prove anything to anyone.

If I wasn’t working, or behind on my school work I’d be helping her around the house or with dinner. I REALLY learned how to cook from her! If I had homework, as likely as not I’d be working the front desk at the Motel at the same time. Many nights I would cover for her so that she and Daddy might have some alone time together. That they were just a room away made me feel protected. Yeah, I know, that sounds terribly insecure, and there’s a simple reason. When I first got there I WAS terribly insecure. I was still scared that my biological Dad would find me, and beat the hell out of me, or kill me. So those first months, while I was still settling into a new life, I needed someone who would be there for me, to protect me. I found them, and I wasn’t letting go. I was certain no one would harm me. Yeah, I got a lot better, and faster than I would have believed possible. THAT was because my Daddy and my Momma WOULD protect me. If for no other reason, I would love them forever for that acceptance, protection, and love.

I learned most about who I am from my Mom. In retrospect, I learned most of what it meant to be a woman from her. She kept her promise and passed on to me things from her mother and her Mother’s mother. I learned from her things simple and complex. Things I’d never dreamed of before I left my birth family. Much of it was mundane, like how to sew. Some of it complex, like taking care of a household. Some of it, like making a quilt, hid how to interact with others behind the façade of sewing. However simple or complex in appearance I loved the time we spent together. For Daddy, it was tediously complex and boring; I thought it was great! Whereas Daddy was the master of the open hand, Momma was the mistress of the open heart. She had so much love to give, and it was burning all the brighter because she had long before given up the hope of having a child. Mom taught me of the love in the Bible, of Ruth, of Sarah, of Mary and Martha. Her lessons helped shape me as a woman of God.

I’d been unofficially adopted and Mom decided it was time to meet my Grandmother. Over the Easter week break Mom took me to meet her mother. The memory of that meeting shines bright in my memory. We had flown to Tulsa, Oklahoma, and Grandma met us at the gate. She hugged Mom, then turned to me, and took my face in her hands. “So, you are to be my granddaughter,” she said. Then she looked straight into my eyes. I know it couldn’t possibly have taken hours, or even minutes, but she looked through my eyes and into my soul. Pulling me into a hug, she whispered in my ear, “Darling girl, there really is no boy in there, I was afraid there might be. I’m glad you found your Momma, and your Momma found you. You will always be welcomed and loved by me!”

Releasing me from her hug she loudly introduced me to my Aunt Mary, “FINALLY, I have a Granddaughter!” she exclaimed. I’ll never forget those penetrating eyes, nor will I ever forget her warm and loving introduction to the rest of the family. To this day I do not know if any of my 3 aunts and 2 uncles knows the truth of my birth. What I do know is from that moment onwards there was never any question as to who her granddaughter might be! That week was a loving break in my training. Perhaps that’s not right. Maybe it WAS training, in a very different sort of way. I instantly loved that woman who gave birth to my Mother, and I loved her to the end of her life, and to the end of her life, she loved me.

Professionally I split my time between patrol duties and more schooling. Daddy made me learn how to jump out of a plane; when I racked up 20 jumps I was sent to Fort Benning for more training, including HALO and some low altitude jumps. Then, once he knew I could get back on the ground if something went horribly wrong, he helped me get my private pilot’s license. Most of the time Daddy or Mom went with me when I went out of town; for the first time in my life I felt I really had someone who loved me, and was willing to show it to the world.

That first summer I attended the Combat Medic course at Fort Sam Houston in Texas. As soon as I returned home, I started the Advanced Medical Technician classes. I’d work in the morning, attend class in the afternoon/evening, and then finish my eight — ten hours in the evening/graveyard shift.

When Daddy told them I was SCUBA rated they paid for me to take the Scuba Rescue classes, followed by six weeks of United States Navy dive school at Pensacola, Florida; by the following June I could save a life as well as take it. Professionally, by the end of July, 1973 I was as well trained as the Department, my Air National Guard CO, or my Dad could want. That meant I spent a lot of my time working with other departments. The department decided to increase my pay and rated me as their one and only Para-Rescue Jumper. It didn’t take long before I had my first rescue; and it was a bad one.

Chapter Four: Down the Wire

I was working the mid shift 1500 — 2300 hrs. I’d no sooner left roll call when the PA system called out for the “Para Rescue Jumper” to proceed with equipment to the heli-port. I admit; I was too new and too excited to know that information saves lives. I scooped up all my gear and headed to the helo. Dad had also suited up, and was in the copilot seat. The difference; Dad had picked up maps of the island I might be jumping onto. I learned a lesson that could have cost me dearly. As the helo spun up Dad was all business, “CoPilot to PJ (pj??) We’re 39 minutes from the zone. I suggest you get into your gear. Moffat had pictures of the island. It appears to have a rocky beach on the western side. Moffat sent pictures which I have on flimsies. The Coast Guard said there are bodies in the water; some are still alive.”

He called me to look over the maps. He was not pleased I hadn’t brought them with me. Barren, rocky, and filled with seals, the map labeled it as a restricted wildlife sanctuary. It was apparently a seal rookery. “Jumper, I’d suggest you go first. If the pictures are right we can both go down the wire and then land the equipment and the rafts.”

Dad agreed, “If we drop first, and stake those rafts as they come down, we’ll have a surface not covered in seal shit. You’ll have a “hut” for treatment and a “hut” for shelter. The rafts were new, and had a sort of tent over the top providing protection from the elements.

“While I do that, would you inflate the Zodiac and check the floating bodies? Chief, how long is your hook?” I asked.”

“I’ve 50 meters rated at 500 kilos PJ.

“Pilot, what about wind and Sea? “

“PJ the wind is driving out of the west at 4 knots-10 knot gusts, the waves are at 1 to 2 meters and waning, water temps about 64 degrees. And gee, imagine that, the air temps also 64 degrees.”

“Crap”

“Hey I didn’t know female lieutenants could talk like that.” The Pilot quipped on the AC1.

“Oh? And how many other female lieutenants do you know?” my Dad responded.

“Well, come to think of it none.”

“Hey, I’m only an ossifer in the chair force!” I protested. “Do we have other assets at this time?

“Sorry PJ but you and jumper are it. Coast Guard’s busy.”

“Roger that. Uh, busy doing what?” I giggled, earning a sharp look from my Dad.

“Lieutenants are NOT supposed to giggle,” he said, and then he laughed too.

By the time we approached the west side of the Island Daddy and I were ready. There weren’t any surprises. It looked like a great big cabin cruiser had run into the rocks. The pilot dropped to 25 foot.

“Jumper,” I asked, “do you want to go first?”

“Yes Ma’am,” he said. When I looked at him he was grinning, “can do, PJ,” then he was going down the wire and on to the rock.

Going down on the wire I asked “Pilot, can you light up the area for me?”

I started down, and suddenly, everything was in sharp relief. The big light on the chopper turned the darkness into bright noonday sun. Even so, every place I staked, I set a Snap light. A couple of the survivors helped and we strung a tarp upwind, and then popped the tabs on the inflatables to provide some minimal shelter.

Jumper had the Zodiac moving towards the bodies in the water. While he did that I helped 6 people from the edge of the rocks, and the boat, to my little work area.

When Daddy pulled up, he had a couple of guys who were seriously cold. He gave each of the girls a blanket and we put them in a raft “shelter,” with chemical hot packs. I began triage. We wound up with 14 people, 9 men and 5 women, two of the women were DOA. All of the women were seriously cold, and one had a nasty broken arm. The men were all Hispanic or Oriental, and nothing seemed to be wrong with them.

A tall blond girl, was the one with a broken arm, and she was screaming in pain. It looked like when her arm broke, one end of the ulna broke through the skin.

I pulled it just enough to stabilize it while Dad held her still. I was afraid of infection. The little piece of rock they had chosen for their impromptu swim was horridly dirty. Apparently, seals don’t really care about wallowing in their poop. I washed it out using sterile water, then spread KlotQuik and an anti-bacterial powder over the wound. I gave her one of the large ampoules of Morphine, splinted her well, and then signaled the chief to lower the basket.

I sent her up to the chopper, and then the other four girls.

About the time the chopper nosed over to head back to Stanford Medical Center one of the 9 men went berserk. At the same time two others ran. I’ve no idea where they thought they were going; the rock wasn’t all that big. I hadn’t searched anyone so far. I mean there wasn’t anywhere those girls could have hidden a bobby pin — those bikinis were hardly there! I guess Dad didn’t either. The first guy (I never knew what his name was), pulled a wicked looking little automatic pistol out and shoved it in Dad’s side. Daddy was going to get seriously teased for this! Anyway, the perp shoved the barrel into Dad’s side, and started shouting in broken English to get the chopper back, muy pronto! I looked in Daddy’s eyes; it was clear what he wanted me to do. El Pistolero was waving the gun back and forth, he pointed to the radio and pantomimed calling on it. I turned around as if to pick up the radio. As I did so, I reached into my jumpsuit and pulled my .45 out. I turned, and fired twice as Daddy dropped down and away from the man.

Now I am NOT a marksman, but at less than five yards it was hard to miss. Dad flipped over and kicked the gun away and came up in a crouch, ready to fight. Not needed. There were two holes; one to the center of the body, and one through the neck. He was dead before he hit the ground. Dad picked up the dead man’s pistol. I turned in the direction the two had run and began working around the north end of the Island. Dad handcuffed the other six together, back to back. Then did a quick search for other weapons. I then went due east over the spine of the island and started north. I heard the two scrambling over the rocks, still ahead of me. I called for them to surrender, then someone fired, the flash nearly blinding me. What was worse was the pain in my thigh. I fired in the direction of the flash, and heard a man’s scream. “Daddy, in case you didn’t know, one of the two are armed, I broadcast over our common channel.

“No shit Princess, just be sure he doesn’t hit you, your mom would be terribly miffed at me.”

I laughed at his reply, “too late Daddy, I’ve been hit in the thigh, then stumbled over to the survivor.” One was trying to stop the other from bleeding. I pointed my gun at him, and he began babbling and pointing at the man on the ground. “Looks like I hit another one. He and his partner are about five feet in front of me. Daddy, you might want to hurry, I’m bleeding, but not a lot, I think.”

I stopped transmitting, all of a sudden I began to hurt, bad. It couldn’t have taken him more than a minute or two to get to me. I was still holding my gun on the two who had tried to get away.

Dad handcuffed the one who was trying to help his brother, then checked out the one I shot. “No pulse, PJ. He’s dead.” Then he shone his Maglite over my body. “Princess, he scored on your thigh. It’s kind of bloody. Dad pulled a Kotexâ„¢ from the first aid packet he carried in a pocket on his flightsuit. He wrapped it snugly around my thigh with an Ace bandage. “Let’s take the live one back, and get you cleaned and bandaged a bit better.” He turned to the handcuffed one and we retraced my path back to the zodiac, shelters and the six who had the brains to not do anything stupid.

Dad separated them then handcuffed them separately. He put the three into one of the shelters, and I went into the other.

Much later, when Dad reviewed the whole bloody mess he asked about the first man I killed; specifically hitting the neck with my second shot. Sheepishly I admitted that shot was a miss. I’d tried for the center of mass but I jerked the second shot up from the body.

Dad checked that I wasn’t bleeding around the wound. Then he decided to leave it be and gave me a large ampoule of morphine. My world quickly became less than clear. Then I started crying. It must have looked hilarious from the outside. A gnarled older man and a crying girl holding a gun in a death grip, sitting on a spray soaked rock in the middle of the ocean.

And I cried.

About an hour later the Coast Guard showed up.

I was leaning against Daddy, and I think I fell asleep. Daddy woke me up as the coast guard helo arrived. I just had time to run a comb through my hair and I tried to club it together at the nape of my neck. I couldn’t, the pain was too much. A Coast Guard Lieutenant Commander jumped down while the rotor kept spinning.

“Whose mess is this?” He barked. His attitude was anything but cordial, until he saw my Dad and me; then what he was, was confused. “Excuse me Sir!” He said, saluting. “I was told a local police department was handling this accident; not the Air Force. I’m Lieutenant Commander Richard Hodges Sir,” he stammered looking suddenly unwell.

With perfect panache Dad answered him, “well Commander, I’m General Rex Pruett. The Officer In Charge is this PJ right here, Lieutenant Beth Pruett. Yes, she is related; she’s my daughter. She came down the wire and I kind of tagged along. She’s a lieutenant in the reserves, and I’m retired, and work with the California Air National Guard. While we are both Air Force, we also work for the Police Department, City of Palo Alto. This is the first incident she is OIC of. I “suggest” you to treat her with the respect she deserves. She earned a hog’s tooth twice tonight; if you know what that is.”

“Yes sir, I know that tradition.” Commander Hodges looked at me with renewed interest.

“I know you guys do it different, but I can tell you, she lives the motto (That Others Might Live). If you have any doubts, I call your attention to her jump suit. That hole, just above her belt is courtesy of the gentleman with the holes in him. The hole on the other side, the one with the blood on it is courtesy of the dead man north of here, in the rocks. The holes weren’t there an hour ago. She saved my life.” I looked down in horror, not having noticed the second hole before. ‘Oh My.’ I thought, ‘The Morphine is taking hold.’

“I have complete faith in her. FYI She’s made it through the pipeline for the PJ certification in the Air Force, she’s an Advanced Medical Technician, Combat Medic, and she’s been through a California Police Academy. She will follow that with either pilot training or combat FAC. She’s also Palo Alto’s only PJ. She is going to be one of the finest officers in the Air Force, even if she is my daughter,” he said with a smile.

I started studying my boot tops; I didn’t realize there was a reporter there until his camera’s flash went off. Then another reporter tried to “interview me” there in the middle of the water on a pile of rocks slimy with seal crap. I tried to be polite to him. Where do they get these people? The Coast Guard officer rescued me from the reporters.

“Well Lieutenant, show me what you did, and what your resources here are and how the Coast Guard can help.”

“Yes sir!” I gave him a short brief of the situation, including some suspicions. I’d noticed something white leaking out of the hole in the side of the boat. I reported my suspicion of some kind of drug smuggling, but I didn’t know what kind.

“Color me impressed,” he said. “You really shot this guy as he was holding a gun to your Dad’s side?” he asked. I just nodded. “Then you went after two armed men, and shot one of them? How do you want to proceed from here? Do you want to handle the boat? If you like, we really are better equipped to handle maritime investigations.”

I looked over his shoulder and saw Dad barely nod his head. “That sounds great to me Commander, as long as you keep us informed. Uh, and someone should give these guys their Miranda warnings (you have the right to remain silent…); I don’t think they understand English very well. Oh, and I think there’s something strange about the boat. The hull doesn’t look right to me, and there’s white powder, maybe heroin or something leaking from the hole in the bow, wait, I already said that?” I was losing my focus to the morphine.

“Commander? If you have any questions, how about contacting her tomorrow. I should get her to a hospital and have her looked at. AND, I think her morphine is starting to really hit her.”

By this time the Palo Alto helicopter had returned. One of the reporters said something about deadlines, and climbed aboard the Coast Guard copter. This cleared the way for “our” chopper to pick us up.

“Lieutenant?” the Coast Guard commander called, “you’ve really done a great job here. We’ll clean your equipment and get it back to you, along with copies of our reports. As smuggling is a Federal crime, we’ll transport the prisoners, and the bodies to the correct authorities.” He reached out and shook my hand. “I’ll be sure the other officers on Station will know about you. If you ever need us, I promise, we’ll be there for you. I apologize for my earlier attitude, normally local Police Departments aren’t very competent in handling maritime incidents. I truly regret my earlier attitude towards you. Will you forgive me?”

What the hell? Was he coming on to me in the middle of the Pacific Ocean? I smiled up at him. Dad of course had a beatific smile upon his face as, blushing furiously; I shook his hand, and mumbled something in reply, shocked to the bottoms of my boots!

“Commander?” Dad asked, “You’re welcome to call her at the Palo Alto Police Department, or you may have her home phone number, which is, conveniently, the same as mine.” Dad scribbled on the back of one of Mom’s business cards.”

“Thank you General,”

With that I climbed aboard the helicopter, looked to see if anyone was looking, and snuggled up to my Dad and fell asleep.

Chapter Five: Aftermath

The Stanford Medical Center was brightly lit, with a nurse, doctor, and orderly waiting at the helicopter pad. They rolled me into the ER, gave me more morphine, and generally fussed over me, they cleaned the wound swabbed it out with penicillin and made sure I wasn’t badly hurt, but they put six stiches in to pull the edges of the wound together anyway. They gave me 10 morphine Sulfate tablets, 2 weeks of penicillin and sent me home.

We made it back to the station about 04:00 in the morning. By the time I’d washed and stowed my gear, typed up my reports, and signed out, it was 06:30 in the morning. I rode home with Dad. I had a big bowl of oatmeal and cursed the one that shot me. I really wanted a very long, very hot shower. Instead Momma came into the bathroom with me, shampooed my hair, cleaned me up, and then gave me a shower, sort of. She washed me, being careful to avoid my wound. She slipped a warm flannel nightgown over my shoulders and helped me into bed. I sort of realized the sun was up before I finally managed to get to sleep. Momma gave me another of the morphine tablets, and tucked me in. I think I was asleep before my head hit the pillow.

It was late afternoon when I woke; I had slept through my alarm clock! I scampered around the room; gathering clothes, and trying to dress on the run. The pain brought me fully awake. Mom must have heard. She knocked and then entered, slowing me down and then pulled me into a hug. “Shush Baby, shush; you’ve been given the day off. I turned off your alarm this morning, so relax Honey. Your Daddy told me all about last night. You were so brave and you are so very precious to me. I don’t know how I could ever thank you enough. You saved your Daddy’s life, and you saved your own life. I’m also very proud of you! Thank you, baby girl, thank you.”

I’d started crying as soon as she started hugging me. Both of us stood there in the middle of my room, clothing, shoes and gun forgotten. Everything came flooding back to me. I started shaking at her words. I’d blocked everything out last night. I could see the gun jammed in Daddy’s side; and the silent signal he passed to me. The thought of saving my Dad, of having been in a gun fight, and having a bullet barely miss and another hit me was overwhelming. I could see the first man I’d shot crumple to the ground, and at the end of it all, my Dad looking up at me. About then Daddy came in and joined in the hug.

“I killed those men, didn’t I,” I asked.

“Yes, Baby Girl,” Daddy replied. “You sure as hell did — twice! If you hadn’t a’ killed them, neither you nor I would be here today.”

“Why don’t I feel bad about it?” I asked. It was true, I hated last night; it HURT me. I didn’t like anything about what had happened, but I didn’t hurt about killing those two men.

“Sweetheart,” he replied, “Most likely because you’re a bit numb right now. Some of it could be the morphine. Your Mom was about to wake you to give you time to make yourself presentable. I called your P-shrink, Dr. Campbell, he’s coming over. I think you’ll be better in the long run if you go through it all with him.”

“Crap! I really don’t want to do that,” I replied.

“Yeah, I know. The first time I had to kill a man was in Korea. I was flying a Saber at 25 thousand feet. It gnawed at me, gave me the willies. I finally found a chaplain who helped me work through it. You shooting that man from that close? You better believe I’m going to see that you have someone to help you through it.”

“Did you ever kill a man as a cop?”

“No,” he answered. “And that closeness makes me all the more certain you’ll be better off for it if you talk to Dr. Campbell tonight.”

“Honey, you need to know; the newspapers and television news have been making you out as a hero. They’ve even given you a nickname.” Mom told me.

“Princess, you’re a star. ‘The Angel of the Bay,’ is what the newspapers are calling you.”

“Oh, you have GOT to be kidding me!”

“I wish I were. It’s one of the reasons I called Dr. Campbell.”

“But I really don’t want to talk about it,” I whined.”

There was no way around it, I went and took a shower, being careful to keep my wound dry. Ah well, no bath for this girl tonight. Then I got dressed to face the world.

After dinner I met with Dr. Campbell. We talked it through, and I decided Dad was right. I didn’t want to let it fester.

We were wrapping things up when Mom joined us. She had clipped the articles about me from the papers and had started a scrap book for me. I was really uncomfortable about it, you’d think I was Audie Murphy, Doctor Kildare, and Angie Dickinson from ‘Police Woman’ all rolled up into one. Dr. Campbell laughed at my reaction; I guess I looked like a fish out of water with my mouth gaped open. “Who writes this drivel?” I asked, making them all laugh. I guess it was a bit funny, but I wasn’t certain I’d survive going back to work. As to work, Daddy told me I was to report during the day watch, and to “look spiffy.”

It was as bad as or worse than I had imagined. For a whole week I had to play nice with the Newsies. Every time someone cornered me the television lights would come on and a cameraman would start filming. The cameraman only filmed me as they’d start asking questions; that way the reporter for the TV station could switch in their “star” reporter. I’d had enough when a woman from one of the Networks wanted to “interview” me in a “real life police women’s locker room, just in my underthings; and oh by the way it will go out live! Isn’t that thrilling?” I declined, politely. Then I walked in on the police Chief to let him know in no uncertain terms that I had “smiled for the cameras” and that I had “played nice” with the reporters, but enough is enough! He laughed, and put me back on limited duty, but on patrol.

Roll Call the next Wednesday was nice though. Most of the department showed up. No one had told the reporters about it. The Chief called me up front and read out a departmental citation for bravery. I knew Daddy was well liked and respected. I don’t think anyone ever complained that I received special treatment because he was my father. Still, it was touching; Daddy came up front. He presented me with a Purple Heart, and a bullet from the gun of the first man I’d killed. The bullet had been gold plated, and a heavy 14k gold chain ran through it. Dad presented it to me, to the applause of the room. It was an old tradition, the round in the chamber of the gunman was presented as my “Hog’s Tooth.” It symbolized the bullet meant for me.

It was nice to be popular.

[Note to my readers. The last time I went to the Police Academy the fact was, in reality, 95+ percent of all police officers are never involved in a shooting incident. Of the 5 percent who are, 95 percent leave law enforcement within 2 years. As for the “Hog’s Tooth.” The tradition is real, though it’s normally a bullet from a sniper vs. sniper encounter; here it’s dramatic license.]

Chapter Six: Unsettled Relationships

Momma liked playing the matchmaker. Dick and I dated for a while, but we both knew it probably wouldn’t lead anywhere. It was nice though. I’d assumed I’d eventually find a man to marry — if he could get around the gender issues. Dick even came over for thanksgiving, which was a much larger affair than the previous year.

Grandma Quayle and Aunt Connie came, and Dad had invited his sister Julia with her new husband Bruce. The Police Chief celebrated Thanksgiving with us (Walter “Wally” Montaigne; I later found out his wife had died years ago, and he had a standing invitation to dinner on all the Holidays). I “invited” Commander Dick Hodges. Momma felt it was important. Dick was my “boyfriend” as far as everyone but Dick and I were concerned; since his family lived in Boston, it was “only proper” to invite him. It was a full and festive time at our house! I tried calling the Chief, “Chief.” With a smile he told me when we weren’t working to call him Wally. The first time I did call him Wally, it embarrassed me, and everyone laughed at my discomfiture. I relaxed, and helped Momma finish cooking and serving dinner.

Momma proved she was an equal opportunity teaser. All through the meal she carried on about “Bethy” fixed this, or my “Baby’s all grown up.” She informed the table that “my little Bethy” never wanted to learn to cook, “but in just the last year or so, had taken quite an interest in cooking and everything else about taking care of her home, and her man.” Daddy choked on his wine and everyone else had a good laugh, except Bruce who didn’t know I’d been adopted.

All in all it was a very nice meal, and the company was even nicer.

The week after Thanksgiving I was surprised to be pulled out of roll call, and sent to the Captain’s office. It was Dad, of course. He had a civilian and a San Diego PD officer there. Dad had decided that I would accompany him to San Diego to pick up a woman who had implicated her boyfriend in several murders for hire. Cases the DA (the other guy in the room) wanted solved NOW. This wasn’t unusual. I kept a spare overnight bag in my locker. About all I needed to do was call someone in the Den to takeover providing snacks for the Friday night movie.

Still, it was always a treat to work with my Dad. So I signed out myself and the best car in our fleet, for the trip (knowing everyone else, still in roll call wanted it). Hee Hee Hee. One of these days I’m going to have a proper mad scientist’s laugh, then look out world!!

I tossed my ready bag in the trunk of the Crown Victoria, Checked that we had enough flares, first aid supplies and “sanitary napkins” in the trunk (you would be amazed at what all you can do with them!) I went in to the armory and checked out a Winchester pump action shot gun. I locked the 12 gauge in the car and went back for more. I caught up with Daddy at the armory. He was signing out the big yellow box of goodness (BYBG), which caused my eyebrows to try and climb up off my face. The box contained what passed for “tactical” equipment in 1974. Several kinds of grenades, gas masks, a couple of flash-bang grenades, and two Thompson machine guns, and LOTS of ammo. Things were getting interesting. We locked all of THAT kit down, and Daddy went in for even more. He had decided we would carry a bloop-tube (40 mm gun) and a wide assortment of grenade shells, including High Explosives and tear gas. He also checked out two sets of ceramic body armor, and helmets. In my sweetest voice I turned to him, “Daddy, what the hell are we doing, starting World War III?”

That earned a stern “watch your mouth!”

“But why all the hardware? We have nearly half the tactical weapons and armor in the Bay Area!” (not really, but I thought it properly dramatic).

“I’ll tell you on the drive down to San Diego.”

Dad drove us first to Moffat Field, and picked up two new jumpsuits he’d ordered, one for him, and one for me after I made it clear I wanted a new one without the holes in it. We waited while Leather Velcro Pilot’s tabs were made for over the left breast. Daddy’s always surprised me; I knew he’d been in the air force, and that he’d been a pilot, but a general? A master parachutist? My wings just listed Master Parachutist and Para-rescue jumper/diver, and dinky little airplane pilot (which sucked, but everyone else thought it was funny). We stopped briefly at home, so I could hug Mom goodbye, and so Dad could feed his face. I swear I don’t know where he puts it all!

Mom insisted I take a few “nice” sets of clothes and shoes. Dad insisted we take Air Force uniforms; it was easier to say yes than it was to argue with them. She also insisted I wear the locket I’d been given two Christmases ago.

We headed south on the 101, then cut over the mountains at Gilroy, and proceeded south on the brand new interstate 5. Daddy reached down and flipped the lights on. “Princess, why don’t you see how fast this thing will go, and how long it will stay there?”

No one EVER needed to ask me twice to go faster than the Federally Mandated 55 mph! “Uh, Daddy, won’t we get in trouble with the CHP?”

“Don’t worry, I already cleared it as a training exercise.” He said with a grin on his face.

“Okay, so tell me why all the guns and stuff?” I asked, stepping on the gas.

“Well Princess, I thought it would be fun to run a couple of gun courses while we were down South.”

“Do you know, you don’t lie very well, Daddy?”

“Huh?”

“You’re left eye is twitching. It only twitches when you’re fibbing. Momma told me that a LONG time ago.”

“Damn,” he muttered under his breath. “Women!”

“You love it, and you know it!”

“Okay, here’s the truth. The woman we’re picking up is suspected of being part of the SLA (Symbionese Liberation Army). From the time we pick her up till we get her safely in our lockup we’re going to be armed, and armored.”

“Wow! That’s better.”

“Yeah, but there’s another reason. Your Mom and I have kept in touch with your birth parents through our lawyer.”

“What? After what he did, or would do to me?”

“Yes Babygirl, we wanted them to know you were safe. The first few months the letters from your birth father were pretty bad, but, in the last few months your birth Mom has been writing. She wants to see you. She wants to see you real bad. Your birth dad is dying.”

125 Miles per hour is not the time to have a panic attack. Instinctively I flipped on the siren and started slowing down, fast! “Hey, don’t lock up the breaks,” Daddy yelled

By that time I was at the side of the road, shaking uncontrollably. Daddy turned off most of the lights and the siren.

“That son of a bitch,” I screamed. “Everything in my life is going so well so he has to fuck it up. Daddy I don’t WANT to go and see him,” I growled through clinched teeth.

“Honey, that’s why your Momma and I wanted you to wear your locket. He can’t touch you anymore. You’re Mother and I will protect you, your locket is your shield” he said pulling me into a hug.

I sat there crying and shaking. “But he’s always spoiled my life. He can’t stand the fact I’m NOT his fucking son!”

My real Dad just sat there, holding me. “Princess, I’ll never let him hurt you again. You know that don’t you?”

I nodded.

“How about I drive for a while?” He asked me.

“Just hold me a while longer, please?” I pleaded.

[[Author’s Note: Now this may not seem all that “professional,” or “grown up,” or whatever you want to call it. It’s my life. Like the first part, “Between Christmas and Hell” THIS STORY IS FICTION, - sort of. Much is based firmly in who I am, where I’ve been, and what I’ve done. What happened wasn’t according to a script. I didn’t do things so people 40 years after the fact could criticize me, or fault me for crying. I was too busy living it. What happened is history; this story is fiction. Would I cry today? Damn straight I would. Hurt me enough physically or emotionally and I will cry. Blood is the essence of the body; tears are the distilled essence of the soul. Every tear I’ve cried, and every drop of blood I’ve shed are proof (to me anyway) of my humanity, and btw, the existence of God. EOS (end of sermon) sigh…]]

That “while longer” was closer to an hour and a half. I’d stop crying, and he’d start to let go of me, which set me to crying again. Finally I was worn out. I felt like I’d run a couple of miles, with sweat running down between my boobs. Daddy got out, moved around to the driver’s side and I moved over.

He smoothly accelerated back up to a road eating speed. I just sat there staring at nothing. Sometimes I’d just reach over and lean against his arm. At Los Banos we pulled off the interstate and into the “Pea Soup Andersen’s” restaurant parking lot. I checked myself in the mirror, touched up my lips, and brushed my hair back into a low ponytail.

Daddy opened the door, “feel better?” he asked.

I nodded, “it still hurts, but I have a shield, don’t I?”

He smiled at me, “yes Princess, as long as I live I’ll be there to shield you. Your mother loved you the first time she set eyes on you. I loved you as soon as I tasted your meat loaf.”

“Beast!” I pushed at him playfully, we both laughed. We entered the restaurant, and I went into the ladies room. One nice thing men have is larger bladders. I decided this at least was useful! Still, I was dancing in the stall, unbuckling my gun belt, and pocketing my keepers.

Looking back I’m glad I didn’t have then what I carry today when I wear a gun belt. No taser, no asp baton, only one set of handcuffs, sigh… those were the good old days.

I took care of emptying my bladder, put everything back on. Then I washed, and touched up using the mirror. My locket dangled between my breasts. I think that was when I realized what it truly meant. My Mom and my Dad would always be there for me; my Dad would kill for me. While I knew that, it was at that moment that I realized MY Dad had spent his life preparing to protect his family, and his nation. MY Dad had flown with atomic weapons hanging from his wings, ready to literally unleash Hell to protect what he loved. My birth father? “pfff!” He was a mere nothing. I would see him. I wanted him to see his daughter, and the love she had for the man who was really her Father.

Predictably, two other police, County Sheriff’s deputies were at the table with Daddy. All three stood as I approached. I smiled, and as we sat down the waitress delivered the soup. We talked shop, I really don’t much remember what was said. I’m not sure of what the two County Mounties thought about me. My para-rescue patch told them I couldn’t be an airhead, but I confess, I wasn’t thinking much about anything right then. I’m sure I made all the proper mouth noises, and impressed them with my feminine wiles, but it’s a conversation that was lost in the realization of who and what my father really was. Even sitting there, joking with the County Mounties’ it was clear who the killer in the room was. Oh my Dad was pleasant, and his usual friendly self, but no one else in that restaurant had the look that Dad had in his eyes. I’d never really noticed before. His face may have been smiling, but not his eyes; his eyes took in everything, and gave back nothing.

We made it to Escondido, in San Diego county about 9:00 that night We checked into a motel next to the “Wagon Inn” café [2013: it’s still there, and the food is still good!]. I felt sticky from the long ride, so I grabbed my swimsuit and jumped into the pool. 20 or 30 laps later I toweled off. Dad was in civvies’ so I went into my room and changed into jeans and a tee-shirt and joined him at the Wagon Inn. I slept well that night. We had adjoining rooms with a pass through door, which I kept propped open. It may sound silly or juvenile but I knew my Daddy would protect me from anything. Still, I left my .45 pistol on the night stand.

I woke to the incessant knocking, knocking on my chamber door. “I’ll get ready was my cry,” quoth my Daddy, ‘nothing more.’ I pulled on my sweats and a cotton bra. I wore my gun in a custom holster that hung just between and below my boobs. I’d found it to be infinitely more comfortable than carrying it in the small of my back, covered by my sweatshirt. On a long beaded chain I wore my dog tags and my badge. This I tucked into my shirt.

He locked his room from the inside, and joined me in mine. He made little twirl around motions at me, so I obliged. He then did the same, “see anything?” we said about the same time. With a negative answer, we began our morning ritual. After an hour of running the city streets we finally caught the attention of the Escondido police. We showed them ID, and they drove us back to the motel, and joined us for breakfast.

Afterwards, we dressed for the day. I was going to wear a denim miniskirt, and a green scoop neckline tee-shirt and a pair of green canvas flats. Instead Daddy ordered me ORDERED me! To wear Air Force Khakis. Oh well, my shoes were well polished. And I could wear it with the top three buttons open. That was important to me. My breasts were up to a B+ cup, and I wanted them to be visible enough to eliminate any issue of my gender. I tried to get out of wearing my ribbons; they had gotten almost obscene after the smuggler’s rescue. Everybody decided it was worth the attention from the Ladies and Gentlemen of the PRESS. The department gave me a ribbon, the Air Force gave me a ribbon, Governor Moonbeam (Jerry Brown) sent one by certified mail, even the freaking Coast Guard gave me a ribbon for goodness sakes, but Dad insisted. “You’ll understand later,” he said. Three and a half rows and I’d almost never left the state I was born in! Two years, almost, I’d been in the California Air National Guard, and I had tracks on my collars (lieutenant’s rank badge). It was embarrassing! I carried a purse that needed to be polished. But it had a holster for my pistol built into it. It also managed to hold a can of mace and a pair of handcuffs inconspicuously.

Daddy was the impressive one. Two Stars on his shirt and five rows of ribbons on his chest, (many with stars for multiple awards) bore testimony to whom he was, and what he had done. He looked spiffy. I sniffed and gently teased about having to beat the women off with a stick.

It had been two years; another round of surgery would take place in another few months. I lived in a world far away from where I was going. Daddy had called, and my Mom was expecting us. I turned into the driveway, noting that everything still looked the same. Daddy came around and opened the door for me. Such a small gesture helped me to center myself.

We walked up the stairs to the open porch, Daddy knocked. I could hear my little brother yelling “I’ll get it,” He looked Dad over, then me. He was drooling over my breasts. I reached out and smacked him on the head and said. “My face is up here knucklehead.”

He looked back at me, my face this time, “You’re her, hey Mom, it’s that girl on the TV.”

My Mom walked into the room. I didn’t remember her looking this old; the roots of her hair showed gray, her face seemed to have aged 10 years since I had last seen her. Mom walked into the living room. “Where is she?”

I walked around Daddy and Jerry (my brother), and stood there, hands folded in front of me, I looked at her, “Mom?” I said tentatively.

“Oh my, is that really you Beth? You look so very beautiful.”

“Mom?” I said, searching her face for any sign of the rejection I just knew had to be there. Instead of the rejection that had justified leaving and never looking back, all I saw were the tears that began streaming down her face splashing on the floor. Instead of anger, all I saw were the open arms. I had been wrong. I needed nothing more. I rushed into her open, and loving arms. We stood there, tears mingling, flowing, and washing away all the bitterness and fear I’d expected. I’d thought everyone in this house hated me, and that hatred was the armor I’d built around myself. That armor crumbled to dust. "I’ve missed you Mom,” I murmured into her ear, startled by the truth of the statement. “I’m sorry Mom, I’m so, so sorry; I do love you so much.”

The amazing thing was, as I was apologizing to her she was apologizing to me; she was saying nearly the same words to me.

I could see Jerry and Daddy talking, but I didn’t care, I was in my mother’s arms. All the pain of the last 22 years came pouring out. All I could say was “I’m sorry Momma.” Finally, when all our tears were done I took her by the hand, and introduced her to Daddy. “Daddy, this is my mother Chris, Mom this is my Daddy, Rex.” The absurdity of my words flew right over my head. I knew what I meant.

Dad looked rather sheepish, “Mrs. Williams, it’s my pleasure to meet you,” he said, reaching out to shake her hand.

Momma pulled him into a hug, “thank you so much for taking care of my Baby, and thank you for writing, especially after Doug was such a bastard in his letters.”

“Don’t worry about it. Her Mom and I love her very much, too.

“She’ll always be my mine,” Mom replied with a sigh.”

“Momma, you just said ‘she,’ you knew I’m a girl?

“Of course, you ninny. I’ve known for a long time.”

“Then why didn’t you say something?” I wailed. I don’t know where they came from, I thought I’d cried myself out, but the tears began to flow again. “I was afraid to tell anybody.”

“I’m sorry Baby,” Momma said pulling me back into a hug. “I was afraid of your father.”

I pulled back from her. “Well I’m not afraid of him anymore. Where is he? I expected him to be here”

“He’s not well; he won’t be going any place ever again. He’s dying.”

“He’s that bad?”

“Honey, he’s got cancer from working with the asbestos all his life. He’s wasted away over the last six months. He had to quit working back in July, a medical retirement, thank God, and he went into the hospital two months ago. All they can do is keep him from hurting. The doctors tell me he won’t be in any pain in another three or four months. We’ll go with you to the hospital in a little bit. But what’s this “Angel of the Bay” that’s been in the newspapers.”

“Crap,” I said. “I’d hoped that silly thing wouldn’t be reported all the way down here.”

Mom pulled me over to the couch.

Daddy was smiling, enjoying my discomfort! The rat! “You can be real proud of her Mrs. Williams, she saved seven, or eight people’s lives that night, if you include me. The newspaper guys got it right for once. She really is a hero. She doesn’t know it yet, but her actions have earned her the Silver Star. I’ll have a copy of the citations sent to you.” I stood there absolutely jar, well, ajar. Daddy called out “Attention to orders.”

Daaaady stop, please?” I asked, knowing he wouldn’t. Mom just smiled at me, holding my hand.

Of course Jerry had to get into the conversation. “Really? Is she really a cop and everything?”

Dad replied, “Everything and more! One of the bad guys had a gun pressed into my side. When he saw her, he shot at her, missing her but hitting her flight suit. Then she shot him before he could hurt anyone. Two of the smuggler’s raced to hide in the rocks, and your sister ran after them. One of them shot at her, hitting her thigh, and she fired back; killing him instantly, before he could kill anybody.

I poked him in the ribs, “You promised not to tell”

“What I promised was not to bring it up. He was asking all kinds of questions while you and your mother were hugging. He brought it up, not me!” he said, grinning like a Cheshire cat.

All I could do was glare at him.

He tuned to mom, “Confidentially, she really hates it when I bring it up!” He said. “Thank you Jerry.” Turning to me he said, “Do you want to tell them the story or should I?”

“Okay, we were sent out to rescue a boat that was having problems. The boat was smuggling heroin and cocaine, it ran aground on a pile of rocks. I sorted them into groups. The first group I sent were three women in pretty bad shape to the hospital on my helicopter. Then one of the men shot at me. I shot him, searched the rocks for anyone else. One of them shot at me, I fired back, killing him. Then I turned it over to the Coast Guard, then I went home. End of story!” I crossed my legs and sat back in the couch, arms crossed, hoping he would drop the subject.

“What happened to the boat?” Jerry asked, proving to the world, once again, that sisters have the right to pick on younger brothers.

We sat there till Daddy looked at me and asked, “Are you going to answer or should I?”

He knows I hate to talk about it! I just sat back in the couch, snuggling between him and Mom, and I didn’t say a word.

“Okay Princess, fair warning, my turn, you can correct anything I tell them.”

I continued to glare at him, but my superpower eyes didn’t seem to be working.

He then told them the whole story; the only thing he didn’t tell them was about all of the seal poop on those damned rocks!

Jerry sat back, speechless. Mom was speechless too, looking at me in a new way, “Is that really what happened?” I nodded. “Wow, my daughter the super hero!” She giggled and hugged me again, “You just be careful, you understand?”

“Yes, Mother.”

“Believe me, her other mother and I have every intention of keeping her skin intact. She wanted to learn to fly, so I made her learn how to jump out of an airplane first. It’s little things like that to keep her safe. Where were we, oh yes, Attention to Orders: I’ll skip over a bunch of wherefores and whereases, Lieutenant Pruett then being seconded to the Palo Alto Police Department… hmmm.., here it is, ahem: it is my privilege on behalf of the President of the United States, and a grateful nation to present the Silver Star, for gallantry in action under fire, exemplifying the highest traditions of the United States Air Force.”

There’s another letter here from the Coast Guard, thanking you for doing their job by rescuing the crew and incidentally saving my life. The Commandant of the Coast Guard has instructed me to inform Lt Pruett she has been awarded the National Defense Service Medal, but you knew that one. There’s more awards here, seems everyone wants to jump on the “Angel of the Bay” bandwagon. It must be slow at the Pentagon. Ah, here it is, the most important being that at the direction of the President that on the basis of your particularly keen sense of duty, and being incredibly cute, which is good for the TV ratings, it is the wish of the president of the United States to promote Lieutenant Linda Elizabeth Pruett to the rank of Captain. My Gosh, you must look good on TV.”

“Really Daddy? I mean General Sir.” Mom helped him add the latest ribbons to my uniform.

“And sweetheart, these bars were my first pair, they may be old, but I’d feel honored to pass them on to you.”

I started crying, again, with that gesture he proved again to me and the world why He’s my Daddy.

Before anything else could happen, I excused myself and went into the bathroom. The face in the mirror was the same one I saw every day of my life. Sure, there were differences, my makeup looked great. I’d learned a lot in that short two years. The only things different from when I lived here were the makeup, the pierced ears, more fat on my butt, and a body in far better shape than the last time I looked in this mirror, oh, and the boobs. I took care of the reason I’d entered, washed up, fixed my makeup from my tears, and went out to find Mom in the kitchen. She was doing what she always did when people visited; making coffee and putting together a dessert tray. “Mom, stop! Please don’t make me feel uncomfortable to be here. Daddy isn’t here to make you feel guilty, or to cause trouble, or anything else. We’re actually down here on business, and Daddy sprang this visit on me on the way down.”

“You didn’t know?”

“No Mom, no one told me. I found out while practicing high speed pursuit on the way down here. I stood on the breaks and dropped from 140+ MPH down to stop. Then I started shaking. Daddy had to hold me for at least an hour before we could start up again.”

“Mom, when I left here it was because I was afraid of Dad. If I’d even breathed a word to him a beating was the least I could expect. He might have killed me. Now I’m a happy, well-liked, successful woman. After the first few months I couldn’t have come home if I wanted too, my boobs would have let everyone know I had changed. I guess God really cares about us, at least that’s the only explanation I can find because I met Rex, my Daddy, and Noreen my other Mom the day after I left home. Mom adopted me that first night, and Daddy a couple of days later. I don’t know if I’d even be alive if not for them.”

“You’ll like them both,” I said, “and you have me in common so everything should be great!”

“What about your father?” she asked, searching my face.

“What about him?” I asked, instantly suspicious.

“Are you going to see him,” she asked gently.

“Yes,” I snapped, “I want him to see the daughter he could have had.”

“Honey, your daddy is real sick, I told you, he has cancer. I’m not excusing him at all for any of it. Did you know he beat me too?” That I didn’t know. I had to sit down real fast.

“All I’m asking is to keep your heart open; yes he’s treated you horridly. Still try to find some mercy in your heart.”

I didn’t think it possible, but her message of forgiveness was like someone turned a key in my own heart. “He’ll never accept who I am. I’ll go, and I promise to not intentionally provoke him, unless he starts in on me.”

The drive to the hospital was excruciating painful. I wound up asking Daddy to drive. I just couldn’t sit there, casually observing the background of my life. Since my father was a veteran he was being cared for by the VA. I told Daddy how to get there. We drove by the big General Dynamics plant, and took Clairemont Mesa Blvd. We drove past one of my favorite places growing up; the Boy’s and Girl’s club, and on to La Jolla and the VA Hospital. Being in a police car has its perks; parking out of the way in the emergency spaces was one.

Being in uniform had its own advantages. It was like Moses parting the Red Sea, the people in the halls cleared a path before a Captain and a two star General. We followed Mom to my Dad’s room. I let her, then Daddy enter before me, and Jerry entered last.

The room was meant for two beds, but at that time only one bed was in use, my father’s.

He looked horrible. The fearsome man of my nightmares was wasting away. He certainly posed no threat to anyone. I saw his eyes light up at the site of my mom. Then he stared at my Daddy, and then at me.

“Do I know you?” he asked Daddy. “And since when has the Air Force made captains of teenage girls?” His rheumy eyes focused on our name plates, “I see,” he said, “keeping it all in the family huh? It wasn’t that he was trying to be insulting; he was just unable to keep up with the changes in the world.

I stepped close to the bed and looked at him lying there, “Dad, don’t you recognize me?”

His eyes grew wide with recognition, “Mike?” he sank further into his pillows.

“No Dad, my name is Beth, Linda Elizabeth Pruett.”

“Bah, rubbing lipstick on a dog don’t make it a lady, I don’t care what your ‘oh so high and mighty’ shrinks tell you. You were born a boy and you’ll die a boy. Why are you here anyway? Did you come to gloat over a dying old man?”

“Dad, please listen to me. When I left it was a 50-50 chance that I’d be alive the next day. Yes, most of that was you, well the fear of you anyways. Now I’m a Captain in the Air National Guard, and a highly valued member of the Palo Alto Police Department.”

He turned away, as though the words themselves were battering him. “I came to see you, to tell you of my love, and to grieve at losing the man who gave me life.” I turned to Daddy, “this is Doug Williams. Father this is General Rex Pruett. He and his wife took me in when I ran away from you. Mom, I think this was a mistake. I’d rather not cause him further pain.” I started for the door.

“No, wait” the wraith in the bed called out before I could leave the room. I walked back over to him. “Please sit, would you tell me all about this new life of yours? I may never have another chance to talk to you. I know I’ve been a miserable bastard all my life. It’s how my Daddy taught me. I wish I could do a lot of things over. I didn’t because I don’t know any better. Would you sit with me for a while? You look a lot like your mother did at your age.”

I sat beside the bed giving thanks to God for opening my heart. He reached out and took my hand in his.

I found a father I never knew, and he met the marvelous daughter he’d never have let me be if, I hadn’t left home.

I even told him all about the night on seal crap rock, and the amazing things I had done. I marveled when he smiled at me, he had smiled at ME.

All too soon it was time for one of his treatments, “will you please come back and talk some more? I looked at Daddy and Mom, and turned to him, “I’d love to Daddy.” Then I did something I would have bet money on my NEVER doing. I reached down and kissed him on the cheek.

He smiled, “you smell a lot like your mother too.”

I didn’t know it then, but I spent two more days, sitting with my Father. The trip home was peaceful. We left with our prisoner in the evening, and were back in Palo Alto by 8:30 the next morning. All the supposed threat disappeared. The DA was happy. The chief was happy. Dad looked at me, like he expected me to do something. If it were a cartoon, a light would have turned on over my head. I immediately asked for two week’s compassionate leave. Dad smiled; I’d learned about the system from the master.

Dad and I immediately went to the Moffatt field where I picked up some things I’d need; a new ID card, and some things from the PX. While my new ID was being made, Daddy and I went by the PX. I went to the help desk, showed my orders, and asked for a new name badge, with wings this time. I was looking around, waiting for the gold leaf press to warm up (for the leather badges) and noticed they carried lab coats. I grabbed one that fit and hurried back to the service desk. The same clerk who’d made up the name tags the previous week was working, and I asked her if they did the name embroidery for lab coats. When she said yes I hatched a diabolical plan. I asked her to make a second badge, this time with the caduceus and with M.D. after my name, and oh, by the way, please embroider my lab coat the same way. She looked to Daddy (clerks remember two star generals, even retired ones) and he just smiled and nodded his head. The Legend of Captain Pruett, M.D. was born!

When we got home I asked Mom to go with me. She agreed, of course, and made arrangements for someone to work the Motel front desk while we were gone. I called to make reservations with Western (Western Airlines — “the Only Way to Fly”). The two of us packed, then Daddy gave us a ride to the San Jose Airport (did I mention he loves to park where he’s not supposed to?). I was in uniform with my “Bomber Jacket,” and new name patch. If asked, I did think I looked awfully “spiffy” myself. I mean, four rows of ribbons, two sets of wings and a bomber jacket are just so “de rigueur!”

As we were boarding, the pilot noticed me. I was invited by him to sit in the inspector’s seat. Mom said she didn’t mind. The stewardess seated her in the first row, and then came and showed me where to stow my purse. At 4:45 we lifted off, I was enjoying the heck out of this ride! Then the captain asked if I wanted to sit in the right hand seat! I hemmed and hawed, then admitted my pilot rating was only for “little dinky planes, but I was training on the F-4 Phantom.” The two of them laughed as the co-pilot gave the pilot a $10 bill. Then the co-pilot asked if any of my uniform was real. I just pulled out my ID and my police badge, and told him yes, the rest WAS real. They laughed — again, but there was no venom in their laughs. The co-pilot got up and I was asked to sit there while he used the head. When he got back, I told them about who I was (NOT the transgender part!!), and they seemed genuinely impressed. 30 minutes later, I vacated the co-pilot’s seat, and strapped back in at the inspector’s seat. Two hours later, back on the ground, and after a short taxi ride Mom and I checked into the San Diego motel of the same chain as Mom’s motel.

The next day Mom met Mom (geez this is even confusing to me, and I lived it). The two became close friends. I was surprised at how similar they looked. I pocketed my collar insignia, slipped in the M.D. insignia, grabbed my lab coat and my purse, and we went to the VA hospital.

I spent that week, and the next getting to know the man I almost never knew.

Captain Pruett became something of a fixture at the VA. I always had a smile on my face. The reason you ask? I met a wonderful nurse, Cindy Hayes, while visiting the VA the first time. We actually went to dinner together (as just friends) several nights the first week I was there. I was smitten. She talked with me in a way I’d never known. She was (and yes is!!) wonderful. On the other hand, no doctor had ever paid her any attention before. One thing, as they say, led to another. I think it was the third time we’d gone out I told her ALL about me. She was shocked, and wouldn’t talk to me for two days. By then, I was madly in love. Later she told me those were the longest two days of her life. (Yes, after 2 years we were married — but that’s a different story!).

I thought things got totally out of hand when I was asked to sit in on a staff meeting. I tried to avoid it, but my cover was blown. The meeting was actually with the Chief of Staff (Dr. Ted Stevens) and the doctor caring for my Dad (Dr. Rick Byrnes). They said they had been suspicious since the day I’d arrived. They thought I looked way too young to be a doctor (duh…). But my genuine military ID, ribbons, and lab coat allayed their concerns. When I was asked to draw blood from my Dad, I showed no hesitation. I’d been taught by some of the best in the Combat Medic class, I was so competent that no one else said a word.

It was that damned “Angel of the Bay” crap that gave me away! It seems on the third day the Chief of Staff accidently came across an article in Stars and Stripes. That article was about a heroic paramedic rescue jumper named “Lieutenant Linda E. Pruett.” He started looking into my background. Things just didn’t add up. He called my C.O. who told him yes I was a highly decorated member of his staff, and that I’d just been promoted and my latest decoration was the Silver Star. He told him what a fine officer I was. When asked about what kind of medicine I practiced, my C.O. told him truthfully “emergency medicine.” He called the VA hospitals in San Jose, Menlo Park, and San Francisco; and, of course, no one remembered a woman named Dr. Pruett.

He called my Dad’s office at the Palo Alto Police Department, and Delores, my Dad’s secretary, told him I spent a lot of time working with the Department, and went on to tell him I was “unparalleled” in the practice of emergency medicine. He called the hospital I’d claimed to have done residency in (in Guadalajara, Mexico), and no one there spoke English that day. He kept putting one and one together and coming up with three. Nothing made sense. The “staff meeting” was a smoke screen to see if I’d tell them the truth.

I admitted the article was about me, and asked how much trouble I was in. My Dad’s doctor came to my rescue with this huge smile on his face, saying, “trouble? Trouble for what DOCTOR Pruett?” Again, Fortune favored the Bold (and truthful). They had a good laugh over it. The Chief of Staff tossed my now “official” VA name badge and ID card across the table to where I sat. It was better for them (and for me!!) that no one else knew. There was a price to be paid; I had to tell them all about that night on the rocks, and the whole “Angel of the Bay” story. The Chief of Staff smiled and told me to stick with the Doctor story, it was more believable. I was told I could go anywhere, do anything I wanted; they just asked that I limit practicing medicine to members of my own family, or under their direct supervision. I immediately took them up on it, making the rounds and asking lots of intelligent questions, with both doctors nearly every day of the second week I was there.

One week became two. Once my Dad opened up to me it was impossible to shut him up! He told me of growing up in a family of sharecroppers in a dirt floor “house.” Of the delight he took in going into the bathroom at school. The flush toilets were so much better than the outhouse at his parent’s house. We talked of anything and everything. He delighted in the stories I had to tell. He may not have known how to love me, but he was learning fast. Most days I’d spend most of the morning with him, and then Mom and Mom and I would play tourist in the afternoons when he was taking a nap, or was in the midst of some procedure. I’d go back in the evenings for another hour or two — except for the nights I spent with Cindy.

This was in the days before advanced directives. What the patient wanted was almost irrelevant. If they could ease his pain and keep him alive they did it. Period.

I finally had to go back to work. The Chief was getting mildly miffed.

For me, life had come full circle. My Dad and I made our peace with each other. On Christmas Eve I left the hospital, and went straight to the airport. Mom and I flew back to the Bay Area. The doctors were wrong; he didn’t die at the end of April. I know my life would never have come to this place had I not left home as I did. Nor would it be as full and rich as it has become. I’ve been blessed. My favorite memory of my Father was the music. As I said goodbye to him Christmas carolers were roaming the halls.

“Joy to the World…”

All was right in my world; I was at peace.

Book Two: The Angel of the Bay

Chapter Seven: Little Mary Sunshine and the Divers at the Bottom of the Bay

Thursday, February 20, 1975

My shift change seemed like it would never come. It’s funny the things your mind decides to remember. My own memory remembers the day as being hellaciously cold. It had dropped to less than 28 degrees overnight, and there was ice on some of the roads; which meant setting out flashing lights. It almost never gets that cold in the San Francisco Bay area. I was grumpy and looking forward to one more day of work, then 7 days off, well as far as the Police Department was concerned.

I’d just dragged the last of my gear free from my patrol car, when the PA announced a marine emergency, and that I’d been specifically requested. Crap. Ever since he’d figured out I was good press for his office Governor Moonbeam looked for ways to get me in the limelight. His latest gimmick was the Bay Area Emergency Assistance Resource Zone (BEARZ). It was made up of all the municipalities around the San Francisco Bay. In theory each would share and share alike with resources and personnel. In practice it meant anytime any department called for emergency services, those who had equipment and personnel provided whatever was needed. I called into operations and asked if I had to parachute in, or could I arrive like a proper lady with her own attendant. “Ops, it’s me (notice the excellent radio protocol?), what’s going on, and how do I get there?”

“Beth, it’s a couple of divers working on the Golden Gate. He and his buddy were separated and maybe something about being tangled in debris. They’re commercial divers and have a diving bell. There is air, heat, power, and coms to the bell. The diver there was ordered to remain there. Coast Guard requested you; and, by the way, how was your last date with Commander Hodges?” Carrie, our morning dispatcher asked.

“Like I keep telling you and everyone else, I’m not interested in Lieutenant Commander Hodges, off the record, it was a nice treat, Dick took me to dinner at Alioto’s and a movie afterwards. Can you alert my trusty steed, and get Craig out of roll call ‘cause I’m not waiting, and if he’s not there before me I’ll use his toes for shark bait. Could you also call Lou, the mechanic, and tell him I’m taking the boat?” ‘And why couldn’t they have called fifteen minutes earlier before I unpacked all of my junk?’ I thought to myself.

Craig was a pretty good guy. He was out and helping me shove kit back into the car I’d just unloaded. I tossed the keys to him. “Uh oh,” Craig said. I looked over his shoulder to see Daddy headed our way.

“Do you have updated marine charts for the Golden Gate?” Daddy called.

“Yes,” Craig replied, “brand new from the printer last month.”

My dad scowled, “okay then, let’s get moving!”

“Sir, I can’t”

“What do you mean you can’t?”

“Sir, your daughter told the entire day shift if I didn’t do what she says she will cut off my toes and use them for bait.”

“Really?” Dad asked, obviously delighted. “Well in that case carry on as ordered, sir.”

“Dad, what do you think you’re doing?”

“I thought I’d go fishing from the dinghy while you did your best for our Governor, our State, and our Country.”

“You are certifiably insane.” I told him.

“Yep, I sure am! But I do so love watching my baby at work.”

“Craig, did you bring the barf bags this time.”

“Sorry PJ, I didn’t get the request for bid to the purchasers in time.”

“For a box of barf bags? They are only seventy five cents a box!”

“I know, but the chief decided we should have your logo printed on them, so we were forced to order 500 of them.”

“My LOGO?? What Logo? And it will take 10 years to use that many barf bags, even if I take half of them on the chopper and my jump plane.”

“You know, your personal logo Princess.”

“Daaaddy?”

“You know, the one of the skeleton in SCUBA gear, and “One Breath away from Death.” Printed around the skeleton. I’m sure it was on my desk last month.”

“My question is why I haven’t seen it?”

“The Chief wanted to surprise you?” Daddy asked.

“Well then Craig, I guess there’s no help for it, we’ll have to handcuff him to the steering wheel.”

It was a short drive to the marina where my boat was berthed. It won’t work Beth, he always has keys with him. Hell, we’d lock him up and he’d open the gate to the Marina before we got there.”

I gave a theatrical sigh. “Daddy, this won’t be a repeat of when you hooked that illegal abalone diver will it?” I groused while boarding “my” boat.

“Oh no, I’ve decided I have to use a different gag each time I go along to tweak you and Commander Hodge’s. I like him, I really do.”

“Then YOU marry him. I keep telling everyone we are just friends!”

Daddy did his best Bill Cosby impression, “Riiigght.”
“Great... I’m going to go lay down, prebreathe, and catch a nap if they don’t call me. We’re headed for the south Tower, let me know when we’re 10 minutes out.” I didn’t wait on his reply. I stripped as soon as I was in “my” cabin. It was a great little boat for the kinds of things I did, and the department helped me get it from the Navy as surplus last year. The Navy called it a “Swift Boat,” and used them wherever they needed Brown Water (coastal), as opposed to Blue Water (Deep Ocean) vessels. It was 53 feet long, the deck aft of the cabin had a 6 man decompression chamber; it had all the latest bells and whistles, as befits all good Navy surplus equipment. Then the department put red and blue strobe lights, and the proper decals on it. Governor Moonbeam added a freaking water pump and monitor to the aft deck. So Craig and I had to attend a couple of classes on the proper use of a fire boat. Dick (Commander Hodges) lusted after my boat almost as much as he lusted after my body, which was astonishing. For a dinghy we had a Zodiac inflatable boat. In the bow we had a mount for a .50 caliber gun, and in the back mounts for two more .50 caliber guns, one on each side of the deck. Why? I don’t know. They’ll never let me have more than one, and that only for emergencies.

Though come to think about it I did have the one locked away in the department armory. If Daddy doesn’t have the key I’ll make sure that he teaches me how to pick the lock.

I’d pulled on my sweats, and climbed into my dry suit. I slipped a mask over my face and started pre-breathing a helium oxygen mix. The depth at the South Tower was 160 feet deep. While 160 feet isn’t REALLY deep, I’d rather not take chances. The boat had an on-board compressor that I could use to recharge SCUBA tanks, or power an air-line fastened to my helmet. On my helmet, both lights were functioning well, and the communications gear checked out, as far as I could determine. I lay down in my bunk for a quick nap.

At 40 knots we were on scene in 45 minutes. Which is about what I figured it would take to order up a helicopter, load the equipment, etc. This way, I still had all that gear, but also so much more — and I’d managed a 30 minute nap!

“Oh Princess, sir Galahad requests the honor of your presence,” Daddy teased, waking me up.

I followed him on deck. Dad introduced me to all, “Her Majesty, Princess Little Mary Sunshine has deigned to grace you with her presence!”

I turned to Dick and Craig, “Would one or both of you toss him over the side, or into the brig, or both?” It’s hard to sound serious when you’ve been breathing helium, your voice comes out all high pitched.

“Do we have a brig?” Craig asked.

“No, but we do,” Dick said, and turned to his crew, “You guys know what to do, right?”
The two of them fell to their knees and bowed in the direction of my Dad, “Salaami, Salaami, Bologna.” They intoned, in a scene straight out of an old Popeye cartoon.

“Okay guys, what’s going on?”

“Beth this is Ralph Ledbetter, owner of “Ledbetter Aquatic Inspections,” One of his guys is in the diving bell, and one is apparently trapped in a tangle of old cable and rebar/concrete. His man in the bell says as per instructions when he lost his partner he went straight to the bell. He’s been in communication the whole time. The guy who is tangled we can still hear his breathing, but he hasn’t answered any questions, we really have no idea where he is, or what condition he’s in.”

“Mr. Ledbetter, Hi, I’m Beth Pruett, I’m a pararescue jumper and diver.”

“Yeah, I’ve heard of you. You’re the chick who’s been in the papers. You’re supposed to be able to do anything. You know you sound like Mickey Mouse?”

“Sorry it’s the helium,” I laughed, “but I can’t do everything. Mr. Ledbetter, what can you tell me about the work site?”

“Yeah, we bid on this job, removing metal from around the base of the bridge. Then we were contracted to install modern sinks, to help preserve the bridge structure. The diver’s, one’s my boy Ben, he’s the one in the bell. He learned to dive through a school run by PADI (My stomach began to clench, PADI’s a good course of instruction — for recreational diving only. The other kid’s my son’s best friend Doug. Ben and Doug heard about this contract, and knew they could get equipment cheap. It was all part of the required equipment, along with the communication helmets. I got it all from my brother Terry’s widow. I did have everything serviced and certified. Doug got Ben to take the classes.”

“So both are only PADI certified?” I asked, dreading the answer.

“Yeah, that was one of the requirements for this contract. All divers must be professionally certified. Both are open water certified,” Mr. Ledbetter said with obvious pride.

“Mr. Ledbetter, PADI doesn’t offer professional certification. All they do is train people for recreational diving.”

“Call me Ralph, you mean there’s a difference?”

“Yes sir, a very big difference. How deep were the two boys working, and where did you get the Diving Bell?”

“You’re going to be able to save Dougie, Aren’t you?”

“We’re sure going to try Mr. Ledbetter. What kind of suits were they wearing?”

“Call me Ralph. I bought them both new wetsuits.”

Things just keep getting worse, wetsuits wouldn’t help a lot in the cold water of the Golden Gate. “How deep were they diving?”

“I think the Bell is lowered to 145 feet, and they were working from there down another 10-20 feet.”

“Okay Mr. Ledbett... Okay Ralph. We’re going to do what we can, but you need to know both boys are in a great deal of danger. One of the parts of the air we breathe is Nitrogen. Normally it’s no problem, in fact it’s absolutely necessary for plant growth. But at the depth’s the boys are at it can act like an intoxicant. That may be what’s happened with Doug. He’s happy because of nitrogen narcosis, and the wetsuit he’s wearing doesn’t provide much insulation. It’s why I’m wearing what’s called a “dry suit.” I’m wearing thick socks and a sweat suit underneath it. Bottom line, I’m going to stay warm, Doug is so drunk he’s not even going to notice he’s cold. So we have to make things happen fast if we’re going to be able to save either of them! But we can’t go too fast. That’s how mistakes are made, and I’ll tell you this, we can’t make a single mistake if both boys are to survive.”

“Commander, can you get someone to take Ralph to the galley and get some hot coffee into him?” As soon as Mr. Ledbetter had been lead away, I turned to Dad, “Please Daddy, this is bloody f’ing bad. I absolutely need two navy divers and three sets of their equipment. AS SOON AS THEY CAN GET HERE. Please work the Navy angle for me.” It was gratifying to see him head for the radio room as fast as he could.

“Dick, do you have any technical divers around the bay? Good, get them and their equipment here. Get a helicopter spooled up and get them here - fast. I’m going down with a rebreather to find “Dougie.””

“Beth, that’s against regulations,” Dick said to me.

“Yeah, but that kid doesn’t have the time for any other option.”

“Then I’m going with you.”

“Dick, don’t be stupid, I’ve been breathing heliox for nearly an hour. You haven’t. All I’m hoping to do is put the kid into the bell. I’ll be going in to see what might be done. Keep an ear on the circuit that belongs to Ben. I need to know if ANYTHING changes.”

Dick argued, “you know if anything happens to you, you’re dead. Let me at least go and keep an eye on you.”

“Dick I’ll let you carry a water proof container to the Bell, then do what I ask you to do. After that, you get your handsome ass back to the surface. Watch your times. So get in your dry suit.”

“Chief, can you get one of your men to tie two tanks at sixty, two at forty feet, two at twenty feet, and two at twelve feet for decompression stops?. I hope I’m not going to need any, but I won’t take chances. Tie a chemical light to each pair of tanks. If you’ve a strobe light that can work at 135 feet; that could be a life saver if I need it.”

“Let me talk to the boy in the bell.”

“Ben, are you there? This is Angel. I’m going to try to get you and Doug out, over.”

“Ben, are you there? When I finish talking or you finish talking say “over.” Are you there Ben? over”

“Yeah, I can hear you Angel, over.”

“Great Ben. Are you feeling funny? Over.”

“Yeah, it’s like a good big fatty and a couple bottles of beer. What’s that all about? Uh, over?”

“It’s called nitrogen narcosis, you learned about that during your dive classes, remember? Over.”

“Yeah, totally. How did you know that? Do you have a boyfriend? over.”

“Yes I do, he commands one of the ships here. over”

“Far out dudette, hey, I’ve got to take a leak. Not over.”

“Just pee in the pool. Doug I’m going to have you talk to communications chief Bill Howe. He’s with the Coast Guard. I’ve got to go now and see about getting Dougie safe. Oh, you’re going to hear some bangs or banging on the diving bell. It’s just equipment I’m sending down, okay? Over.”

“Yeah, that’s cool. Do you ever go out with other guys? Like over.”

“Sometimes, but it’s mostly with my Dad, Major General Chip Pruett. Over”

“Wow. Like over and out. Over.”

I turned to the crewman, “Sparks, keep him talking. Make up something about some girl, just be sure it isn’t me. It seems to be his biggest interest. When I get down there I’m going to want him to point me in the direction of his buddy.”

“Yes Ma’am. Can do.”

I watched as tanks with the chem lights glowing began their descent. I was grateful, Dick found a flasher. I finished my prebreathing and started using the re-breather. “Com check, over”

The young communications clerk replied “five by five, Angel”

I slipped a carabineer with a pinger and the waterproof flasher onto the diving bell’s hoist cable and let that go. “Dick, are you ready to go?”

“Roger Angel.”

“Dick, you’re ferrying my med pak that’s rated for 100 Meters, lot’s deeper than this dive. I’ll have to cut through whatever he’s tangled in. Your job is to carry stuff, and make sure you don’t get hurt.”

“Ahh… you DO care.”

“Of course I do goofball, but like I care for my accurized 1911 Colt.”

“Oww… that smarts.”

I just grinned. “Let me inspect you, then you’re going to look at me.”

I inspected as much as I could. He was wearing a three tank combination, he could breathe through it, and it recovered from a free flow, faster than I expected. Then he looked over me.

“Beth, you KNOW I love looking at you, but I’ve no idea what a lot of your gear does.”

“Don’t worry about it. You’ve got a depth gauge, a watch, and a compass, right?” Dick nodded, “Well, this console has all those functions and more. I’ve a short tank of air with an octopus on it. That’s in case I need it for someone else. Sparks, are his coms set to work with mine?”

“Yes Ma’am, that’s your channel one. Your number two connection is Ben, and number three is Doug. Four will be for the navy if they get there, or Coast Guard if the Navy’s as slow as usual.

I took a big step off the dive platform, checked I had no wet spots and waited for Dick.

That was when the news helicopters caught up with me. This was going to be a publicized rescue whether I liked it or not. So I smiled and waved at the helicopter, gave them a “thumbs up,” released air from my BCD (Buoyancy Control Device) and disappeared from their sight. As soon as Dick was underwater I fastened a chemical light to his tanks, and turned my strobe on, slow enough it was noticeable, but not distracting. We went down pretty fast, as fast as both of us could clear our ears. The diving bell was humongous, it could easily accommodate eight divers comfortably. I stuck my head in through the Moon pool. “Are you Ben?”

The kid nodded, “Hey! Like, how did you get here so quick. Where’s your tanks?”

“I have them squished down to this vest pack, but it’s terribly expensive. I need you to tell me, have you any idea what direction Doug went?”

“No Man, I got all turned around.”

“Okay, I’ll be back soon. You wait right here!”

“Cool, you got a beer?”

Finding his buddy was easy enough. I swam up Ben’s umbilical towards the surface to where his and Doug’s air lines separated, then I followed Ben’s down. I had my helmet lights on, and so did Dick. Finding him was easy. Getting him out was gonna be a bitch. His airhose was tangled. If I could get his hose free he wouldn’t be in any trouble, well any more trouble. I could give him my pony tank, but as drunk as he was I didn’t want to chance it. I cleared around him, and it looked like the dangerous part would be the swim to the bell. I tied two 50 meter lengths of parachute cord and had Dick pay out the lines to the bell. I started to cobble a couple of clamps on his air hose and realized he had quick connects. Doug was so drunk on nitrogen he noticed nothing. “Dick, I’m going to pop his air hose loose, then send his happy ass back to the bell. So, climb aboard, hand one line to his buddy. I’m going to tug, hard, then you need to reel him in as fast as you can. I’ll be right behind pushing him. As soon as he’s in the bell get that mask off of him. If I’m not there, open my kit and get the Oxygen tank and mask, slip it over his head and set it to 1 and a half liters. If it all goes right, I should be popping up behind him. If I’m not there in five minutes put your helmet on and try to talk to me. Drop down 10 feet and look to see where I am. If you do not see me, or hear me then you must get in the bell. Dick, do you understand?”

“Can do PJ!”

“Surface, this is Angel, what are the times estimated for additional resources?”

“Bad news Angel. I didn’t know General grade officers were allowed to speak that way. Alameda has a couple of suits, but no guys. Suisun Bay has a couple of very new unopened boxes for two suits, and no one checked out on them. Oakland, ditto. Some chief made Master Chief and as per tradition they drank him into his new rank last night. - over.”

“Let me talk to General Pruett. Over”

“Go ahead Angel. Over”

“Daddy the way I see it is this. I have a need, they have the suits and support kit. I’d appreciate it if you sort of creatively acquired it, and all the support gear, from extra O2 bottles and communications console, to the color coded hoses, manifold, and descent stages. Just wanted to be sure you know what I can use. I could, in my mind’s eye see Daddy grinning. “Can Do PJ.”

“I have never once doubted you Jumper. Do try to shake a couple of experts free.”

“Dick, here’s your one and only chance to bail out.”

He grinned at me, “Seldom did faint heart win fair lady.”

I could keep the teasing going forever, and enjoy every bit of it. That would not be right. I turned off my coms, and Dicks, then held our helmets together. “Dick, in all fairness, I will NOT string you along. It would not be fair to you. My heart has been captured. I expect to be asked to marry someone, very soon. You’ve been such a good friend, I could not pretend any longer. This dive is just too risky. I value your friendship, your service, and your honor too much to play the part of the tease. My heart was taken by storm. It’s now just waiting for the question.”

“Thank you Beth, I knew a couple of months ago, but I wasn’t willing to give up. Perhaps I’ll be one of your bride’s maids,” Dick laughed at the thought. So when will I meet your intended?”

“Richard, let’s get this kid to the bell, we can talk later.” I turned his and my coms back on.

I watched Dick swim to the bell, and could see him through a porthole. I tugged on the lines, and pulled his air-line loose. “Pull him in, and hurry, get the oxygen on him Dick.” I felt it, actually I could hear it as the blocks of concrete moved. One of the big blocks shifted and pinched my leg. It didn’t break the bone, or even hurt all that much, but I wasn’t going anywhere.

“All hands, I am fubar, I repeat, All hands, I am fubar, fubar, fubar. I don’t know if I can get out without cutting something off. Surface, did ANY of those navy diver’s answer your call?”

I could hear Daddy through the com’s mic. His language was “salty.”

“Angel, this is surface. It’s going to take a little bit, so sit back and enjoy the view.” Over.

“Is it going to be a short wait, or am I going to have to start breathing from the tanks?”

“Angel, call it thirty, three zero minutes minimum, over”

“Can I speak to General Pruett?”

“I heard Princess. The helo has picked up two coast guard divers. They are only Dive Masters and teachers, not professional divers, but they are on their way.”

“Damn, how many diving rescues have I done already this year?”

“I know princess, they’ve kept you pretty busy.”

“Pop, in the meantime please lay out the heavy lift bags and half a dozen heavy ropes. Daddy, this one is beginning to scare me. Find the two least inebriated Navy UDT divers and put them on 100% oxygen and get their asses out here. Oh, and please send down my bag of carabiners and the bag with heavy webbing. I’ve a few things to try while waiting. Sparks, can you give me privacy to my Daddy?”

“You’re alone Angel.”

“Daddy, can you call Momma and ask her to pray, please?”

“I’ll do it as soon as I’m off the coms. I love you Babygirl, things will be okay, over.”

“Doug, can you come back out here?”

“He can’t hear you Angel. The Skipper yanked the mic to the diving bell coms too hard, so he can’t hear you or talk to you.”

“Put my Dad on the line,” over.

“I’m here Princess, over.”

“Daddy, can you send my hydraulic cutter down with the ropes, wedges and things? over.”

“How strong do the ropes need to be?”

“Not very. Maybe a thousand kilos, over.”

“Okay, six ropes are on the way, followed by your cutter case in the bottom of the lift bags.. It’s all on its way Angel, over.”

In about five minutes a torch came down to me, and about the same time Dick came out of the bell. “Sorry Angel, I was not pleased to hear you were trapped.”

“You know, I could tell just as soon as you ripped the mic out of the coms to the bell.”

“What should I do Beth?”

“I knew you were going to ask that!” the cutter came sliding down beside me. I’m going to have to cut a couple of cables, and one fairly thick piece of rebar sticking out of that chunk of concrete, right there. Then hopefully, we can tie a lift bag to this chunk of concrete and lift it enough to free me.”

“But, we have to do it in the reverse order. Can you hold the case open?”

There was a loop of rebar sticking out of the concrete and I tied a heavy lift bag to it. A little air, and I could feel the block trying to lift. I reached into the case and pulled out my hydraulic cutter. It was brand new, I’d only had time to play with it, cutting up an old impound car that was going to the junk yard anyway.

“Dick, I’m going to cut all these cables. I’d like you to take a rope, tie it to the cable I’m going to cut, then gently pull it out of the way, okay?

“Yes Beth, what do I tie it off too?”

“How about you loop it through the big hunk of concrete behind you?”

“Gnarly Dudette.” Dick started laughing.

“Argh! From the people I rescue I will, reluctantly, put up with language like that. You, on the other hand, are an officer and by act of congress, a gentleman.”

“Does that mean you don’t want me to talk to you in the argot of the day?”

Dick had the rope tied off and I began the process of cutting the cable. “No, please, I know you are educated.”

“Sigh, you need some help with that?” Dick started to swim towards me.

“Dick, stop, right now! I had you tie the cable off so it wouldn’t hit me. You, on the other hand, I’m not sure of. I’ll let you use the pump next time.” As if to punctuate my words, the cable parted, and whipped toward Dick. Fortunately, he was far enough away. The cable sailed to a stop right in front of his face.

“Uh, you know that is one of the things I do admire about you. Constantly, you are saving me from myself.”

I giggled. “Well, it kind of goes along with all that knightly stuff you were going on about.”

Dick had tied off another cable. “Yes?”

“Believe it or not, the oath between a knight and his lady faire ran both ways.”

“You’re talking about an oath of fealty?” Dick was pumping away at the cutter, “You know, I kind of like being with you like this. The cable gave off a “twang” as it parted, “Oh shucks, I think you are free.”

I turned off my com channel and pushed my helmet against his, “I may be free, but I’m not cheap.” I giggled as I turned my coms back on.

“Well look at that Commander Hodges, I’m free!”

“Let’s get back to the bell. I haven’t as much insulation as you do. Unfortunately, I can’t reliably tell, but if memory serves, your insulation is far prettier than what currently shows!”

I turned and swiped at him, and with that it was back to the bell.

Doug was beginning to stir; the oxygen and the heat was certainly a help.

I opened the hot water valve, wide, and started it circulating around the inside of the bell. I looked at Dick and Ben and wondered why it was men never thought about the little things, like how cold it was! How VERY cold it was. With a sigh, I hung several chemical heaters in the center of the bell. I opened a Mylar “space” blanket and wrapped Doug well. I then yanked the zipper on my dry suit and pulled out a sheet size bath towel and wrapped that around Doug. Next I opened another “Space Blanket. I wrapped him then popped several chemical hand warmers. I gave him one for each hand, and two under each arm. I took his temperature before, then at ten minute intervals. I grabbed a thermos of hot vegetable soup and poured a big mug and gave it to him. “How are you feeling” I asked “Cold and hungry.” Was his reply. Dick started the process of raising the bell back to the surface. I looked at my dive tables, and doubled the time at the programmed stops. I wanted to be certain my two patients decompressed adequately. Besides, that gave me time to do a drawing of the debris field that had tangled Doug, and me up. By the time we reached the surface both boys had recovered enough to want to give interviews, which I promptly squashed. There was an ambulance waiting at the Presidio wharf. They were headed to the hospital for at least 72 hours, observation, recuperation, and whatever else they needed. I tried to slip back aboard my boat unobtrusively, but there was no way the reporters were going to fall for that. The newsies set up a table, with Fort Point and the Golden Gate providing a background. That’s where the Navy finally found us. Two Navy divers, and one communications tech and assorted crew pulled up to the other side of the wharf. All three of the dive team were blearie eyed, but wide awake. They had been breathing supplemental oxygen for the past hour. Oxygen increases the body’s ability to burn up alcohol. By this time they were mostly sober. My dad had them seated at the back of the “audience.”

I told the news crews San Francisco Bay is, for the most part very shallow, often less than twenty feet in depth. Some channels had been scoured during the last Ice Age. Deep channels have been, and continue to be dredged for ship traffic. The two boys managed to get into trouble in one of the very deepest parts of San Francisco Bay. I let them know the boys looked okay, but they needed 24 to 72 hours observation to be certain they had no negative effects from their bouts with nitrogen narcosis. Before they could answer any questions. I gave them a brief description of the rescue, including my getting tangled up with the cable and pinned to the debris. I noticed the more I talked, the bigger the eyes got on the three Navy divers. I finally ended the impromptu news conference with a camera melting smile. I hinted my report would be filed, and available by midafternoon the next day.

The Navy divers were suitably cowed. To be shown up by the rescue was bad enough. Dad’s presence made it even worse. Nor did it set well that I was an Air Force officer doing their job. That I was Pararescue just added insult to injury. My acquaintance with the officers who ran the school in Panama City, Florida was just piling on. They expected to get chewed out. I didn’t need to.

“Chief Jackson, Chief Nakamura, Chief Reynolds, thank you for coming. Had anything else gone wrong I certainly would have been counting on you to rescue all four of us.”

They looked at one another, Nakamura replied, “Ma’am, you should not have had to rescue those two kids. All the petty officers at two bases were involved in promoting one of our own to Ensign.”

“Don’t worry about it. However, there’s one or two things I’d appreciate you “suggesting.” Keep two divers, and their gear on “alert” status. You’re welcome to quote me and my Dad on that. This is a rescue that shouldn’t have happened, no one is at fault, but those two boys could easily have died. Yes, I can, and will continue to do underwater rescues, but I’ve more than enough to do already. Second, if you two could see your way clear to specify two suits of dive gear to your specifications, I’d appreciate it. You might also speak to the “powers that be.” Suisun Bay has a couple of very new unopened boxes and crates for two suits and support equipment. If you could also recommend the Navy provide the equipment and whatever additional training my team needs, you could recommend the training and the equipment could be kept on my Swift Boat. In return, when it’s not in use, I would make my boat and equipment available to the Navy or Coast Guard. It’s already certified for dive rescue; there’s a six man decompression chamber on the aft deck. They shared another “uh oh” glance. “Ma’am that Swift boat is yours?”

I was tired and getting annoyed at their attitude. “Yes, as is the .50 caliber gun, the 40 mm grenade launcher, the advanced sonar, radar, fire suppression gear, and the communications suite. Why? Don’t you think a woman is qualified to pull the trigger? Really! I’m an Air Force Captain, I’m also a certified pararescueman, and have graduated from the Navy’s advanced dive and UDT training courses. I’ve been seconded to the Palo Alto Police Department. I’m guessing I’ve more training in the last year than you’ve had in the last ten years.”

“Yes Ma’am, I’m sorry Ma’am” one of the three CPOs from the Navy cringed. His two colleagues looked at him like he’d grown a second head, admitting anything I suggested. He looked back at them, “You idiots, it’s her, the Angel of the Bay.” All three instantaneously became cooperative and agreeable with anything I asked.

“Whatever, that story just won’t die. I’ve too much to do as it is. I’d prefer to leave the diving accidents to the Coast Guard, and the Navy. Still, I find I use the boat more than enough to justify the expenses. I think we’ve done about one every other week, so far this year.”

The three admitted to having the two dive suits and assorted equipment at Suisun Bay. They promised it would become mine if we took our boat to the dock. It would be easier that way, no messy red tape.

Dad interrupted and ordered all of us to a debriefing.

We went aboard the Coast Guard boat and sat at a seat in the galley. The problem, everyone agreed, was the debris that shifted after freeing “Dougie.” I pulled out the drawing I’d made in the diving bell on the way back up to the surface. Dick had helped, and the two of us agreed the drawing was accurate. I maintained the shifting debris could have been foreseen. When Daddy asked the Navy’s input, they questioned me, and Dick, then stated it was not foreseeable nor in any way culpable. It was an accident, pure and simple. I had tied off more debris than should have been necessary. They indicated I’d tied off more than they would have done. It was their judgment the accident was just not foreseeable. It came about by the whiplash of the last cable cut. I had cleared the debris field around “Dougie” and myself. The block that pinned me chose to act contrary to everyone’s consensus. It was unforeseeable.

I smiled at them again, it was really quite funny, I had a superpower after all! With great power came great responsibility… I smiled and I’m sure, probably giggled sometime during the rest of the debrief. Well except when I was the subject of a question.

Momma was crying as soon as I dropped my gear in the back hall. “Hi Mom, I’m home, again.”

“Baby Girl, you have got to stop doing this. You could have been hurt!”

“Shush Momma, Shush. You know how careful I am.”

“Yes, I know, you’re “careful.” That’s why they keep sending you all over creation. Two weeks ago you got back from that Jungle Jim course your Daddy and you were talking about. If it was so safe, why do you have to go to all the training?”

“Momma, it’s okay, that’s why I train; to be as safe as possible all the time. I’ll be all right.”

Commander Hodges recommended an immediate investigation of the contracts with the divers with a fine toothed comb. Ultimately they ruled the contracts were overly vague. What “professional training” meant was deliberately vague. It was decided the contracting company would pay the price of providing professional training, and a stipend for each family until both boys were adequately competent. The contracting company protested. I mentioned replacing the “sinks” rather than the “zincs.” It was at that point the Coast Guard told them in no uncertain terms if dealing with this case took much more time then fines would be assessed.

Off the record, the contractor that gave the contract to Doug and Ben would have been charged with manslaughter had either of the two died. I told them the District Attorney could still charge the company with criminal negligence, in my opinion. So, play by the rules, period! Additionally, Commander Hodges and I could hold a joint press conference as the Officers in Charge. The bean counters agreed to let the current contract stand. Additionally the two boys were enrolled into the maritime college from which they graduated, 18 months later. Then they completed their original contract, succeeding beyond anyone’s imagination.

The Press, as expected had a field day railing against the poopyheads in contracts administration. The boys would have been sacrificed to the cold heartless contract bidding process. The Angel, as usual (the newspaper’s wrote) saved two lives, two families, and countless other divers who thought recreational diving was the same as commercial diving.

Two weeks later, by certified mail I received the “Order of California,” I guess someone in the Air Force saw the news release, the next day I received the Order of Merit, the real one. That turned into another press release when the Air Force decided Captain L.E. Pruett was due for promotion to Major. It had to be some kind of record. From Second Lieutenant to Major in two years.

Book Three: Honor to Bring them Home

Chapter Eight: Honor First, Honor Last, Always Honor.

“Honor to rule them all, Honor to find them,
Honor to bring them home and in the light unbind them.”

April 3, 1975

It was April 3, 1975. To no one’s surprise, I was called out of Roll Call. Amazingly it wasn’t my Dad. The Chief of Police wanted to see me NOW. It was a short walk, not nearly long enough to find a place to hide. I was still fielding calls about the “Angel of the Bay.” Every rescue came under the scrutiny of the newspapers. I’d go on a rescue, and everyone knew about it. It was getting pretty hard on me. There was an expectation that whatever I did, I had to top the last rescue. I sometimes felt like I was expected to do everything, with nothing, and smile for the cameras while people’s lives were in my hands. Someone had even formed an “Angel of the Bay - Fan Club.” The Chief, Dad, and especially ME were getting pretty darn tired of it. Governor Moonbeam thought it was great. In the past 12 months he had figured out how to send me three different California state medals. It was getting EMBARASSING. My Dad thought it was hysterical.

“Two out of the zone promotions already, and you’ve accumulated enough swag to see you through another out of zone promotion. Kitten, you’ve made it to the big time,” that’s what He said. The rat.

There was also intense speculation throughout the Police Department as to what I was doing any time I was off. This was especially true once I asked to have weeks back to back. I’d work 10 days straight, then have 4-6 days off. Then it would be 10 or more days and 4-6 days off.

Whenever I had a day off, I’d go in uniform and fly to San Diego. Even that started getting easier as I met more and more of the flight crews who worked the San Jose to San Diego route. I’d be waiting in the standby area, but always close to the gate. If it was a crew I knew, more often than not they’d let me deadhead and fly in the inspector’s seat. I learned a Lot about the Boeing 707 from that seat.

Yes, I did get a chance to spend more time with my birth father (see “Between Heaven and Hell” and “The Legend of Captain Pruett and the Angel of the Bay”).

But even more important to me was the nascent romance between Cindy and me. While I still regularly visited the Q, and my friends there, my heart really had been taken by storm. Cindy and I spent every possible minute together, and spoke with each other almost daily. I didn’t want to run up our long distance bill, so I’d call from Daddy’s office at work, or go over to the National Guard office and use their tie line (a tie line was a dedicated long distance line between statewide offices, like the National Guard). It was clear to both of us we might actually have found the love of our life.

Cindy got over the “I can’t be a lesbian” issue by pointing out I had been born male. That I was unquestionably female didn’t really count when it came to marriage. We had talked about sex, especially sex after we were married, and after I’d had SRS (Sexual Reassignment Surgery). It was an acceptable compromise for us. I absolutely knew we could get along without a penis (please, I don’t have to explain do I?).

There was no help for it, I knocked and entered the Chief’s office.

“I won’t stand for it Linda, I don’t know how you did it.” I knew immediately I was in trouble. He only called me Linda when I was in trouble.

“What I do know is you’ve managed to get yourself federalized so you can spend even MORE time in San Diego. Don’t bother denying, I know that pirate of a Dad of yours has been teaching you.”

“Uh, Chief, what are you talking about? Uh, Sir!”

“Don’t play innocent with me. I won’t take if from your pirate Father, and I won’t take it from you either. Just tell me, how did you do it?”

“Honest Injun Chief! (He HATED it when I called him that) I most certainly do NOT know what you’re talking about.”

“You’re kidding. This has your Dad’s, AND YOUR fingerprints all over it.”

“No, really Boss, THIS time, I’m innocent.”

“Hmmph! Likely story. You HAVE heard about the baby flights we’re sending to Viet Nam?

“Yes, Chief, those I have heard of.”

I had. Cindy and I talked about it on the phone the previous night. The government and charities all over the country were trying to gear up their attempts to bring the babies to the States. Many, if not most were the progeny of U.S. service men, and bringing them “Home” had become a moral imperative. No one expected the South Vietnamese government to last very long after the U.S. pulled out of Vietnam; in accordance with the Paris Peace Accords. “Yes sir, exactly what’s going on?” I asked. Letting the Chief meander through whatever subject he wanted was a sure way to spend half the day in the office. Usually, a nice, direct, firm approach worked wonders getting to the crux of the matter.

The Chief sort of wilted. “I don’t know how to say this gently. The first BabyLift flight out of Vietnam crashed. It will be on the news tonight. Already the Mayor, and worse, the newspapers have been clamoring for their favorite Emergency Medical Technician to help. So… you’ll be packing your bags. The Mayor talked to the Governor. The Governor called the President. The President called the Pentagon. The Pentagon called the Governor’s Military office, repeatedly, then the General called your CO at Moffett Field, and then your CO called me. As of 0800 today, you have been federalized.”

“WHAT?” I screeched. “Oh flippin’ Joy. Did they say where they’re sending me?”

“Miramar Naval Air Station. It seems someone has asked for you specifically. You will be working with the medical people stationed in and around San Diego. At least, that’s what I understand.”

Somehow, I kept from smiling. “Well, if you are sure you don’t need me here,” I asked; doing my best to look sad...

“Whether we need you or not at this point is irrelevant. Just call your Boyfriend in the Coast Guard and tell him what happening; and that I will be calling him direct if we have a problem. So, I think we will have to manage. If nothing else, it might give you - and me, and your Dad a little break from all the “Angel of the Bay” nonsense. I had thought you might have somehow arranged it. Not the crash certainly, but this working around my back is not good for Morale, especially mine. Still, just Imagine, peace will reign. So, you are on the Governments time, don’t you think you need to check in with your CO?”

“Chief, he is NOT my boyfriend, how many times do I have to tell you that?”

“Oh really? What about those divers that ran into trouble a couple months ago? Who did they call but our Little Mary Sunshine? And who did you call when you got called out to that boat accident three days ago? I can read between the lines, I’ve worked with your Dad for 8 years now. I know how BOTH of you use your connections shamelessly.”

“Chief, honestly, do you think I would do THAT? Besides, he’s just a friend. We went out a few times. Besides, I think I’ve met my future spouse in San Diego.”

“Aw Haw! Caught you! Now I know why you keep going down there!”

“Please Chief, please don’t tell the rumormongers around this place. I’m working as hard as I can for you, but you know my birth father is dying, and I’m hoping to be able to tell him before he does about me and my friend.”

I’ll say this for him. He can tease with the best of them. “Yeah Beth, (that was his way of apologizing - I was Beth again) I know you work hard. If I’d had a daughter I’d hope and pray she turned out like you. I know you wouldn’t deliberately put us in a bind. Just call the Coast Guard people you know and let them know, okay? You need to get going. I understand you have a two seat fighter waiting for you on the flight line. Just do what you can for those babies. We’ll be okay for a month or so.”

I did something I’d never done before. I walked around his desk, pulled him to his feet and gave him a hug, and a kiss on the cheek. “Thanks Boss, I will.”

Actually, the first person I had to talk to was my Dad. I went by his office, smiled at Delores, and when she just waved me on I entered Daddy’s Sanctum Sanctorum.

“Hi Princess, what brings you to this vile lair of bureaucracy?”

“Daddy, you know about the baby airlift we were talking about yesterday?”

“Yeah, what about it?”

“I just left the Chief’s office, the first flight crashed on takeoff. I’ve just been federalized to help with the program. It’s the Mayor’s and the Governor’s fault.” I said, with a smile just a touch too big.

Daddy started smiling. “Let me guess, you’ve been requested by the quacks at the VA in San Diego.”

“You are right the first time! Well, at least that’s my guess. In any case, I need to pack my kit and get over to Moffatt, and report to my CO, Colonel Thompson.

“You know, you’re going to get caught sneaking off to see Cindy one of these days.”

“Hey, it wasn’t my idea this time. Heeheeheeee... the Legend lives on!”

“Kitten, how’s your birth Dad doing?” He asked.

“Not very good.” In San Diego, the rumors were running wild about my birth dad. His level of care was practically unheard of. He had also been moved to the VIP wing at the local Veteran’s Administration (VA) hospital, a collection of 12 rooms reserved of Field grade officers and above. “Most days Cindy is his nurse. I’m sure the other patients are jealous; especially when, at least twice a month, he also has his own personal physician taking care of him.”

There was a cost. I had agreed to spend at least eight days a month, calendar permitting, in the VA’s ER (Emergency Room). Doctor’s Ted Stevens (the Chief of Staff) and Rick Byrnes (my Father’s physician) scheduled things so my visits and their turns in the ER coincided. Early on, in December before last, they discovered an unpleasant reality for a doctor. A well trained Medical Technician and combat medic knew far more about emergency medicine than most general practice physicians — like the ones who manned the ER. They had a fresh viewpoint on how to treat a patient’s emergency, and both were determined to make the most of it; even if it meant learning from a mere Advanced Emergency Medical Technician. Actually, I was learning way more than they were. We had quickly reached an agreement back that December. I practiced medicine only under their supervision, and they intervened in an emergency only if I gave them the word.

“Doctor Pruett,” was given more and more responsibilities. It was to the point that if I called, they gave the orders and I did the work unless I was totally out of my league; and in the ER they gave me the more demanding cases. Dr. Steven’s sent me home with medical text books, I’d read them and I’d bring them back for more. It caused me to go through everything I’d ever learned, and challenged me to read any medical text I could find, especially about emergency cases. The other “aberration,” I could devour any book in an evening. Especially books on Oncology for whatever reason. By February I was spending one of my days in the OR (Operating Room) and writing scrips on Ted’s pad, and the pharmacy in house was more than happy to accept it. It worked out by helping them; they had an extra physician, (well, not really, but only Dr. Stevens and Dr. Byrnes knew my actual status) they were pushing me to learn more and more) in the ER with them. And for me, I earned, and they reported continuing education points every time I was with them.

Dr. Steven’s in particular wanted me to become a physician. He was determined to get me through Medical School no matter how he had to do it, up to and including kidnapping me and sending me to whatever school would take me. I became close friends with both doctors. I’d already tested out of all the pre-med classes, and was way ahead of every other Emergency Medical Technician in the state in training. Early on Both Drs. were quick to inform me I already knew more than enough to pass the R.N. exam. What they didn’t tell me was they submitted my name and my qualifications to the State Boards. The first week in February I took a day’s worth of tests. The next weekend in February I had another round of tests, and that Sunday I performed as a nurse on one of the wards, with Cindy watching and grading my performance. Cindy was a great audience, and teacher, on all the practical aspects of nursing I’d picked up along the way. The last week of February I suffered through another set of tests. A week later I had a letter, certifying me as an RN. Two days later I found myself granted a license for Physician’s Assistant. A week later I thought they had made a mistake. I was granted a physician’s specialization in pain Management and Emergency Services. All along the way I was reading, and digesting about a book a day.

That weekend, Cindy, Ted Stevens and his Wife Melanie, and Dr. Rick Byrnes and his wife Joy threw a party for me. Both of my Moms, and both Dads were there, and, to my very great surprise my Boss, the Chief, had flown down to attend the party. While most knew about Cindy and me, we played it very cool.

[I know this sounds far-fetched in the year 2013, but it was just possible for a student (a VERY smart one) to challenge tests as is in this story. It was still legal for a person to apprentice herself or himself to a Medical Doctor and later sit the state Medical Board exams. It was also still legal to read for a law degree, and apprentice oneself to a practicing attorney. Sigh, those were the good old days. At 15 I attended some classes, and tested out of others, and found myself in possession of a license as an “Emergency Medical Aide.” It had no expiration date. I was certified through the California Department of Civil Defense. In the years since, the program was replaced and greatly improved upon by the Medical Technician program, which later morphed into the Emergency Medical Technicians of today. EMTs are licensed after a Rigorous course of study. To retain their license, Doctors, Nurses, and EMTs must take a certain number of Continuing education units each year. I also, at that time, was in the Civil Air Patrol, learning and putting into practice Search and Rescue techniques. Though technically an anachronism I’ll be referring to AMT’s and EMT’s all as EMT for the rest of the story.]

They got a trainer. I got nicer care for my Father (not necessarily better, nothing could cure him - just nicer). I smiled at the thought, my Daddy had shown me how to “work the system” and I’d proven an apt pupil.

Doctor Byrnes had told me, “The damage is just too great. The cancer has metastasized and is horribly aggressive. The radiation and chemo make him sick even while prolonging his life. They won’t be effective at all in a few more months.”

“I’m sorry Kitten, I know this is hard on you. Yeah, I know, Cindy’s down there. I’ve got to tell you; your Mom and I are really afraid for you two. If anyone “officially” finds out you two are lesbians, they’ll do everything they can to hurt you. I’m glad the two of you seem strong enough to get through whatever may happen; and Hey, I’m not losing a daughter, I’m gaining another daughter.”

“Daddy thank you. You and Mom have taught me so much. I love both of you more than life itself. Which, if you think of it is only right, you two saved my life.” I began to tear up, and could barely keep from crying. The last time I’d cried in Daddy’s office Delores heard, and came in ready to read Daddy the riot act.

“I’m sorry Kitten. I’m glad you’ve reconciled with him.”

“Me too Daddy. I hated him when I ran away. He was just this drunken beast that ruled his family through fear. “When we went down the first time, to pick up Melissa (Melissa Transiam, a woman falsely accused of having ties to the SLA (Symbionese Liberation Army)), I wasn’t going to see him. Momma was okay. He was the one who drove me from my own home. Momma made sure I would see him. She used some kind of mental jujitsu, and I agreed to see him. Our first meeting started out pretty bad; but since that trip, he smiles as soon as he sees me, and really wants to know about everything that happened the week or so before. It’s like he’s trying to make up for lost time. Does that make sense to you Daddy?”

“All too well Kitten, very much all too well.”

“When we first lost your sister Amy, and especially after the doctors told us to not have any more babies, we never, ever, thought we’d have another child. When you came into our lives, it felt like we had all this living to do, just to catch up on what we’d lost. When your two Moms met they began to see things through the other’s eyes. Your Mom’s began to truly know your whole life. From when you were born to both sides of your life from after you left the home of your birth family. They were able to merge the two different memories and they both came out whole. I’ve benefited from that, you’ve benefited from that, and both of your Moms have benefited from that. So, for purely selfish reasons I’m in debt to your birth Mom. She gave my Noreen 18 years of life. I hope you are suitably impressed with how your parent’s are coping with this situation.”

“Oh I am, Daddy, I most certainly am. I’ve learned far more about my birth father, his background, how he grew up, and how he came to be who he was. And I think that’s the best that could have happened to him, and to me.”

“Still,” I told him, walking around his desk. “I only call one man ’Daddy,’” I said reaching down and kissed him on his cheek. “I’m not going home with you tonight, I’ll call when I know exactly where I’ll be.”

“You want a ride to the base? He asked.”

“I thought you’d never ask,” I smiled sweetly.

He picked up the phone, “Hey Boss, I’m taking the Brat to get her bags to Moffett. Whata you mean good riddance? Oh? Really, Pirates you say, “Aye me hearty, would you be doin’ as asked or do ye want to walk the plank me bucko? After all, I yam what I yam! Goodbye!”

Daddy was laughing as he came around the desk, “Want me to fly you down? I need more hours to keep my rating current.”

“It’s always fun flying with you; but, I still need to GET my rating,” In my best imitation of a little girl voice I asked again (which he hated) “Daddy, can I drive the airplane today? Please?? And can we do Immelman’s again?”

“Do you think you’re ready for it?” He asked. To which I replied, “Oh yes.”

“Why not?” He asked, “that way I can drive you home to get your spiffies on. (This had become a joke in our family. When one of us had to look our best Mom called it putting on our spiffies).

I packed relatively light this time. Just a bare minimum civvies and the rest were uniforms, and nighties/lingerie, that sort of thing. Still, as I would be in the state I was expected to carry my badge and duty weapon, an accurized Colt 1911 .45 automatic. That, while off duty, I (usually) carried in a shoulder holster, and would later carry it in my purse. Two bags were all I took. I had other, less obvious pieces of equipment scattered here and there about my body.

Dad had already pulled on his flightsuit, and was, as usual stuffing his face. I rolled my eyes at him.

“Hey,” he protested, “you never know when you’re going to get to eat again.”

He finished his meal and I started to walk out to his POS (Piece of Sh…) car when Mom poked her head in. “Did you give it to her yet?” she asked.

“I was waiting for you,” he answered.

“Given me what?” I asked. Dad reached into the front closet and handed me a bag like the ones you keep a pilot’s helmet in.

“We thought it was about time for you to have your own.” He said, handing the bag to me.

Inside was a helmet, a beautiful, gorgeous helmet. The first thing I noticed was a flaming sword. It was day-glow coppery pink metallic with my name on it. “Angel” was on the front, above the visor, and “Pruett, L.E.” on the back. Running from the back of the helmet there was a massive sword. Just above the visor there was a starburst. There were even wings airbrushed onto it on either side. It had clear, and gold mirrored faceplates that could be lowered into place, or slid smoothly into the front and top of the helmet. It was clear the bag was custom made for it. A pair of aviator’s sunglasses, and goggles were in the bag, along with an old time flying scarf.

“Wow, it’s so pretty, I love it,” I gushed, trying it on and looking at it in the mirror.

“The coms work, and it’s all to spec. It’s the first pink one the manufacturer has ever made.” Daddy explained.

“Don’t let your father fool you, the manufacturer came to us, seems they wanted to be the ones the “Angel” uses, Mom told me. They would like a picture of you with it at their plant in Sebastopol when you can.”

“I don’t care, I love it anyway! I’ll be happy to wear it for them. Maybe someone can get a picture for me from today’s flight? That would be totally cool.”

Mom and Dad shared a “Kodak Moment” with me before we had to go.

Daddy packed everything in the trunk of his car and after a hug from Mom we took off for Moffatt.

We got over to the National Guard Air Defense office. Daddy knocked on it with two quick raps. From the other side of we heard “Enter!”

As soon as Dad walked through it, one of the Air Defense pilot’s hollered

“Attention on deck!”

Several men jumped to their feet in response until Daddy told them to stand at ease.

Some of the men began paying more attention to Me than they were to him.

Sometimes you see the iceberg about to sink your ship, and sometimes you don’t. This one guy was oblivious till Dad managed to get his attention.

After reading his name Dad started asking him questions. “Lieutenant, you seem to be finding my aide more pleasant to talk to than I am. Isn’t that right Lt. Morvino? "

“Yes sir!” the lieutenant replied. His attention firmly fixed upon me.

“Do you think it proper for a major to date a jackass?”

“Yessir!” he answered, totally clueless.

“Well then, Lieutenant, would you compare the name on my nametag, and that of my aide?

“Err... What sir? Yessir, YESSIR” quietly, but quite clearly he whispered to himself, or maybe his buddies, “I am so going to get reamed.”

“The woman you are staring at is my daughter. You might also note that she earned, in ground combat, a Silver Star not to mention all the other decorations in her fruit salad. Do you really think you have anything she would be interested in?” “No sir, Sorry Sir”

“I’ll talk to you after I’m done with the Colonel.”

I was doing my best to keep from laughing at the poor guy. As we entered the Colonel’s office I could see he too was trying hard not to be seen laughing.

“Excuse me Daddy,” I turned to Mike, “Major Pruett, reporting as ordered, Sir.”

“So I see,” he replied closing the door and blinds to his office. “That was classic General. I’m going to remember that one for a long time. Beth, I’m sorry if that Jackass was bothering you.”

The three of us relaxed, finally giving into the laughter we were trying so hard to resist.

“Do I really have that effect on men? I never noticed it before.”

“My dear, you most certainly do!” Dad told me. Turning to Mike he said, “So, what is the game plan for Beth.”

“General, I really don’t know. The only two things I know is she’s supposed to fly into Miramar, where there will be someone to meet her. She may go to the Base Hospital at Camp Pendleton. Oh, and Beth, you’re out of uniform.”

“What, where?” I questioned, looking down the front of my uniform.

“Well I see you haven’t updated your ribbons, you are only showing three rows. You should have almost filled four. I know you’ve at least six more ribbons than I see now. Oh, and give your Dad back his gold oak leaves.

“What did I do? Why the demotion?”

“Who said anything about demotion?” he answered, looking to Dad.

“Don’t look at me, I don’t know anything about your plans for her, this time” Daddy told him, while looking at me.

I could see Mike was the bearer of “good news” as if!

“Oh no, No Way,” I could tell I was screaming too loudly by the clouds of dust surrounding the window blinds, and every other smooth surface in his office.

“There is NO FUCKING WAY you are promoting me, AGAIN!”

I lightly rested my gaze on Mike and pointed at his chest. “YOU are NOT promoting me again. What is it with you and everyone else? You keep playing pin the tail on the donkey, Me! Why can’t I just be left alone? I never wanted to be in the military anyway.”

Mike turned to Dad, “General, I believe this comes under your jurisdiction?” he replied weakly.

“Mike, I have to live with her. Besides, this is more in line with you and the Governor’s office.”

“What the hell did Governor Moonbeam do to me this time?”

“Well, Beth, it’s like this, you’ve been promoted. Because you are THE ranking EMT/Pararescue type officer in the Military Department of California, and we’ve got all those children and refugees coming in, it was decided you needed the rank to make your decision’s stick. So… you’ve been promoted to Lieutenant Colonel. The Pentagon told me to tell you that if you object to this you will be pulled into the regular Air Force and then ordered to accept your new rank and assignment.”

“Daddy, can we do some live fire on the way south?” I asked, sweetly.

“Uh, why’s that?” he answered cautiously.

“I want to strafe that miserable son of a bitch we have as Governor. We’ll crack his windows with a little sonic boom then strafe the son of a bitch when he comes outside to see what happened. Then he won’t be able to make my promotion stick.”

Mike interrupted, “Uh, Beth? I have orders to follow if you try anything like that.”

“Yes?” I replied warily.

“You will still be brought into the regular Air Force, as a fast tracked Lt. Colonel, with a guaranteed duty station in Adak Alaska, and promotion to full Colonel within a year. Hell, the way you’re going you’ll make Brigadier before I do anyway.”

I turned my back on the two of them, fuming.

“Honey, think about what that would do to a certain someone, you want to, you-know-what with.” Daddy cautioned. “This way you’re pretty much guaranteed to make flag rank before you retire. And think of all the bennies that go along with the job.”

“Such as?” I grumbled.

“Since you already have your pilot’s license, you’ll be sent to AF Pilot training, next summer. Hell, maybe we can get them to accept the instruction by Mike and me in lieu of flight school. You already have enough time in the F-4 to solo” he said. “I’m also sure we can find a P-51 with low hours and in prime condition, with two brand new motors still in the shipping crates that will just go to the Guard where you’ll be the only bidder when it’s declared surplus the day after we get it.”

“You can get away with that? Wow!”

Colonel Thompson was agreeing and he was writing as fast as Dad could speak.

“What else?”

“Med School?” he guessed, “Same as the academy, teacher’s tutoring until you pull at least “B’s” in every class.”

“Okay,” I gave in. “But only ‘cause I know you know where the bodies are buried around here.”

“Geez, General, she takes after your side of the family I presume?”

Daddy smiled, ruffled my hair, and agreed with him. “She looks more like her Mother but she is certainly my daughter, and I couldn’t ask for a finer one.”

He turned me around and took out his gold oak leaves, and inserted silver ones. “Same thing Pumpkin, these were mine. Wear them proudly.”

I pulled him into a hug and just stayed there for a couple of minutes, against his chest. “Hey, you ratfink, you knew. You knew and delivered me over to them!”

“Honey, I was ordered not to tell you. I found out while you were packing. I’m sorry.”

I fumed for another minute or two then grudgingly accepted his apology. “It’s okay, I’ve learned a lot about discipline and honor these last two years.” Honor first. Honor last. Always Honor. “I’ll do it, I guess I have to. Just make sure the Governor knows THIS IS THE LAST TIME.”

I sighed. Then in a small voice I told myself, “I hope.”

A few minutes later we left Mike’s office. The officers in the outer office were studiously looking in any direction other than mine. As we were leaving, Mike shouts out, “Thank you General, congratulations Colonel. I’ll see you both on the flight line.”

I heard one of them say, “I’ll bet she’s a real ball buster.” I stopped. The grin on Mike’s face evaporated into thin air. I turned to the mouth. “You want to be my gofer for the next 2-3 months? My new position allows for an aide. I’ll have you federalized and working for me in less than an hour,” I read his name tag, Captain Blanton. “Do you have a problem with that Colonel Thompson?” `

“No Ma’am, if you want him, he’s yours.”

Captain Blanton’s face became a sickly white as the blood drained from it.

“Well Captain? You want to spend the next two or three months, might even be for a full year. I’m just beginning to get a handle on things. What’s the matter, cat got your tongue?”

“No Colonel, thank you just the same I’d rather stay here.”

“Then keep your opinions about superior officers to yourself. Is that understood Captain?”

“Yes sir, I mean Yes Colonel” he stammered.

Daddy and I finished leaving the office to the audible sigh of most of the men present. We walked around the corner and I began giggling.

“I thought I told you officers don’t giggle” Dad teased through his own “chuckles.”

“No, you said “Lieutenants don’t giggle.” You didn’t say anything about Colonels.” I replied, with great satisfaction.

Chapter Nine: Getting Ready April 4th

We went to the Security office, the clerk there gave me a quizzical look. “Back so soon? What happened, did you lose your ID?”

“Nope; new promotion.” She carefully scanned my DD-213 and gave it to one of her worker bees. “What, you’ve never seen an officer jump two grades in the course of a month?”

“No Ma’am” She just went back to what she was doing while her office processed my new ID card.

At the PX I went up to the special requests desk, here the reception was far friendlier. “Hi Alice, I need new tabs again.” I could see the curiosity in her eyes as she read my DD-213.

“Yes, they did it again, this time to Lieutenant Colonel. I found out if I make a scene they’d make me a light Colonel anyway and ship me to Adak, Alaska, so I didn’t argue much, this time.”

“Do you want multiple sets, like last time Beth?” Alice asked.

“Yes, I’ll need a new lab coat too, and can you add the VA logo? So, I guess I need new Velcro name tags; one tab normal as a Lieutenant Colonel, with pilot and parachute wings; on the second set to also add Dr before and MD after my name. I also need one with both sets of wings, MD, add EMT, and Pararescue. And while you’re doing that, is there anyone who could measure me for a new set of Blues, with pants and skirt? And, since the Air Force demands it a set of formal white dinner Mess uniform, with slacks and skirt. And I guess I need to add to and adjust my ribbons.” I grumbled.

“Only you Beth would take the wonderful way you’ve been treated this year and make it sound like a Courts Martial,” her laugh was clear, bubbly and sweet.

While I was getting fitted, Dad had gone over to the Met (Meteorological) desk and filed the appropriate flight plans, then he loaded my baggage in the small compartment the F-4 had for storage. Dad and I would take one Phantom, while Mike and whoever he selected would pilot the other Phantom. Both were to be waiting near the hanger that housed the Air National Guard Unit. Dad managed to do all that while I was “shopping.”

Alice was a civilian worker, so she felt free to talk to me. “I’ll measure you myself, while Toni does the patches and things. Just WHAT did you do THIS time Beth? Been appointed white house surgeon?” I giggled.

Alice turned the name tags over to another clerk and grabbed a cloth measuring tape and a clipboard.

“No, nothing like that,” I told Alice, “you’ve heard about the baby flights from Viet Nam?”

“Yes, I think it’s wonderful the U.S. is bringing them home.”

I told Alice about the crash of the first ‘Operation Baby Lift.’

“It’s not on the news yet, but the first flight crashed this morning. Someone in the powers that be decided they needed an EMT, a rescue EMT at that, and I happen to be the highest ranking one in the State.

“Oh my gosh; those poor babies, you must be real excited being able to help.”

“I am, and I’m also going to be “out of sight, out of mind.” This whole ‘Angel of the Bay’ nonsense has been driving me, my family, and my friend’s nuts!”

“Beth, you have to admit, you’ve had some spectacular rescues.”

“Yeah, I suppose. But so does every Coast Guard pararescue jumper.

“But you’ve captured the public’s attention. Kind of like the girl next door makes good stories, or the romance stories we all dream about. And you just look like the ‘girl next door.’”

“By the way, I saw your new helmet; the company that makes them did a great job on it. The airbrushed wings make it a work of art.”

“I can’t believe how pretty it is. My parents surprised me with it today. The artist took the ‘Angel’ idea and came up with something I really like.” I told her while she was measuring me for the new clothes. She suggested that I take a couple of pairs of BDU’s (Battle Dress Uniform) so I piled those up on the counter, along with a new shiny pair of boots. “As soon as I know I won’t need it I may ship it back, but do you carry a battle harness? A new K-bar?” I sighed, a Lot. Do you stock a Medic’s field bag? How about the doctor’s version? Oh gosh, with little kids? I need a new Ophthalmoscope and an Otoscope in addition to everything else. Extra bulbs and a giant economy supply of speculum. A military holster for wearing outside of a jumpsuit.

“I know I’m not going to need all of it. Probably 90% of this will be shipped back to you.”

“Will you be flying or anything while there?” she asked.

“Yes, but it’s not like I’ll be out of touch with everyone and everything. You know they do have PX’s in San Diego.”

Alice smiled at me, “but then I wouldn’t get to hear about your adventures from you.”

I didn’t know what to say, so I pulled her into a hug instead.

“I promise, when I get back you will be one of the first ones I tell things too.”

“You promise you’ll tell me before everyone else in the den?”

Suddenly very wary I asked her, “What den are you talking about?”

“The Den of Iniquity,” she answered, “You’re a kind of a hero there, you know. I mean if one of us can, while in the closet, can make it to Captain, not to mention Lieutenant Colonel in the Air Force, then maybe someday one of us who’s out of the closet can do it too.”

“Alice, don’t you dare breathe a word of this to ANY one. My entire life would come crashing down.”

“Don’t worry silly girl. We take care of our own. Besides, maybe I’d like to date you sometime, I blushed from my neck to my hair. OH MY GOSH! Already? Who is she, or he? Or it?? Is it anyone from around here?”

Alice took her break, and I stressed again how important it was to keep it secret. Then I told her my whole story. When I was done she looked at me with a profound and undisguised admiration. “Your body was borne wrong and you’ve been working to correct it. The first day you meet the Pruett’s and she adopts you on the spot? My God Girl, you’ve done things most of us would kill for.”

“I know, Alice, but I’ve also paid a price. I still have nightmares about killing those men. I can’t stress enough how much an accidental slip could cost me if you should choose to go blabbing that the “Angel of the Bay” is a transgendered Lesbian. You’d kill my relationship with Cindy, as well as my Mom and Daddy. If you tell, I’ll probably have to put a bullet through my head.”

I couldn’t take anymore this morning. I put my head down on my arms on the table, and cried.

Alice came over and started rubbing my back and shoulders. “Please don’t worry, I’d never tell. Just let the tears flow, you’ll feel better afterwards. “

She pulled me into a hug and rocked me back and forth. We must have been like that for close to an hour.

Daddy finally tracked us down. “Hey Baby Girl, are you alright?” he asked, seeing where my tears had made lasting tracks on the white blouse Alice wore. I nodded, turned to him, and snuggled into his hug.

Daddy looked at Alice, “What’s wrong? Did you do anything to her?”

“No sir, General. Please calm down. I recognized Beth from “the Den” on campus. I don’t think she realized how well known, and liked she actually is.” Looking back to me she said, “Honey, you will never need to worry about me, nor the others at “the Den.” We take care of our own. Though you might think your relationships through. Some may not be reliable. Some, like me, are! Your fiancé should be told all these things before the two of you go any further.”

I nodded my head as I wiped my eyes, and the three of us went back inside. By then all my name labels/patches had been finished, all the clothes had been folded and placed in a luggage bag. The resulting total had been charged to some AF National Guard account. One of her associates had gone power shopping, and had picked up a white medical style dress, white panty hose, and white shoes. I was assured my ribbons had been properly displayed, the set I wore replaced with a larger fruit salad, and I was assured there was another in the bag, as well as the miniature medals the ribbons represented. Those two had been set to a rack that took all of the bother out of wearing them. A new, high end stethoscope, a Welch Allyn otoscope and ophthalmoscope and two changes of batteries were, I was told, in the Hi-Tech doctor’s bag. Alice confessed, she had to call the Medical supply office at Stanford about what should be in the bag, and Stanford offered to set one up, the best there was, and most reliable. I was asked to let them know if I needed anything. Alice assured me there would be no problems with items charged to that index number. And I believed her; they would come through with anything I needed.

After getting properly kitted out, I told Alice goodbye and gave her a hug, and a kiss on the cheek. I also gave her my birth families address as a “ship to” location. I was finally able to get out of there. Daddy was waiting with brand new flight and a g-suits for me.

“Hey, this pressure suit doesn’t stink, I thought that all of them were supposed to stink,” I crinkled my nose at Daddy.

“Well Princess, your Mom and I decided it would be better if you had your own g-suit to go with the helmet.”

“I can’t believe you and Mom really got me this new helmet and G-suit. They’re wonderful! After I’d pulled it on, we started to preflight the F-4 we would be flying. While doing so, Mike and Captain Big Mouth showed up.

Mike started talking before I could say something. “Colonel, I’ll be flying as your wingman. Captain Blanton here has something to say to you.”

“Ma’am, I am truly sorry for my words and attitude earlier. I’ve since been corrected. I’ve read your citations, and the news clippings Colonel Thompson has saved. I was WAY out of line. Had my wife, or my mother, or God-forbid my grandmother had heard me I’d be wearing a full set of knuckle bumps. All I can do is ask for your forgiveness. If you really need me, I’ll volunteer to be federalized. It will play hell with what my wife expects this year, but, if you need me I’ll volunteer. Today I’ll be the Wizzo for Colonel Thompson. When we get to San Diego I’ll call my wife, and you’ll have your aide. Besides I would feel truly honored. I really can’t believe I said what I did earlier.”

“Wow. Captain your mouth went off at a particularly unpleasant time. I’d just found out I’d been bumped to Lt. Colonel, and was Federalized for an indefinite term of servitude. You’re forgiven. I’d ask the same from you. Can you forgive me for exceeding the bounds of military courtesy?

I giggled to myself as he couldn’t accept my apology fast enough. I was sure I’d be seeing more of him.

We sat down and reviewed the flight plan. “Fred, this is a training flight for Colonel Pruett. Her wings are for little dinky planes I shot my dad a scathing look that, if not incapacitate would at LEAST make him uncomfortable. Nada. Nothing. Sigh

“She now has 98 hours as the primary pilot and about another 75 hours in the Phantom doing makee-learnee, so today she will be the leader of this flight of two Phantom aggressors. This is also her F-4 Solo. Per regulations, I can sit in the Wizzo seat, I just cannot, except in case of emergency, offer any flight instruction. We will head 60 degrees true till we see Lake Tahoe, run out of gas, or run out of mountains. When we see Lake Tahoe, we’ll swing around to 150 true and scoot down the eastern side of the Sierra Mountains. We’ll then hit the box from the southeast and hope someone tries to jump us. Colonel Pruett will then do her best to keep us all alive, while Colonel Thompson serves as her wingman.”

“After fun and games are over, we will come around for a straight flight to Miramar Naval Air Station. Colonel Pruett will get out there. Once we refuel, I hope to troll the same ground we are to get jumped on. This time I’ll take lead and Captain you will do your very best Wizzo sorcery. I would like to find someone all fat and sassy over the “easy” kill on our trip south. I would surely love to jump ‘em so hard they won’t know if we’re 2 or 10 once we’re in the box. Afterwards we will scamper all the way home at best military speed, or as close as safety warrants. Any questions?”

“Uh, just one thing General Daddy Sir,” I heard snickers from Mike and Fred Blanton. I could actually hear Daddy’s scowl. “Yes Colonel?”

“What is my primary mission; to beat up the Navy; or to get us and our “payload” safely through their security and on to San Diego?”

“Very Good Princess, I was hoping you’d catch on to that. Your mission brief places no value on anything but getting YOU through. Everything else is gravy”

“What are the defenders flying?”

They’re flying A-6 Intruders.

“They fly good down low; but they don’t have look-down radar worth a damn,” Captain Blanton told me as he joined in the conversation.

“So, exactly where is their kill box?” I asked, closely examining the map.

“It’s a rectangle with the corners from Lake Isabella north-east to Death Valley, and from 10 miles north of Barstow north-east to Baker. So you have a nice big sand box to play in.”

“So,” I asked, “what if we…”

“Angel flight, you are cleared for takeoff on 140 left and 140 right as per your flight plan from Moffett to NAS Miramar Takeoff at full Military power, this is a scramble exercise. And folks, I just found out a bunch of gyrenes are going to be looking for you. I’d surely love to see y’all kick some Yankee, uh, Marine, ass.”

“Roger that, Angel flight rolling in three, two, one, rolling,” I answered. I felt the acceleration grip me in it’s soft embrace as the Phantom II roared down the runway at her maximum military thrust.

Meanwhile…

An element of VMA-214, “the Black Sheep,” 2 A-6’s were practicing CAP, or combat air patrol somewhere in the middle of the Mojave Desert. The Crusaders scanned the sky from their perch at 30,000 feet above the sand of Fort Irwin. A cloud, or puff of smoke caught their attention, but the direction was all wrong, and whatever it was, it dissipated when it hit the thermals of the Eastern Sierra Nevada Mountains. The Air Force was flying in from Moffett, which almost always guaranteed an “attack” from the Northwest.

“MMmmm… I sure like getting a suntan” a soft, sultry, and very definitely feminine voice came over the designated common channel for this exercise.

“Turk, you see anything?” Snoopy called out on the common channel.

“All I see is you Snoopy, but I’d sure like to get to know whoever that was on the radio.”

“Well, Snoopy and Turk, I just love a man in uniform. Where are you guys stationed?”

“Whoever this is, you need to know this channel is for official use only.”

“Well, Snoopy, I am definitely official, officially female that is. So, Snoopy where are you from? Oh, please do forgive my manners, my name is Angel.”

While this conversation was taking place, Angel flight had been hugging the ground; they had started north of Bishop and followed the contours of the land. When the hills ended General Pruett and Captain Blanton caught a small tendril of emf, and from that, they pointed their search radar and swept the sky for less than a second. From that brief “hit” on the other fighters they knew where their opponent’s in this airborne game of tag were flying -- A good 28,000 feet above them As they had passed under the Crusaders Snoopy spoke “ah crap, someone just painted me, Do you see ANYTHING Turk?”

“Not a damn thing. Light up the sky and see if you can get a hit.”

VMA-214 was headed on almost the reciprocal heading of Angel Flight. There was no way they could see, much less get a missile away at Angel Flight. They couldn’t see Angel flight, nor would they see them screaming towards them.

“Hey Daddy, do you think we can do an Immelman and light ‘em up from the top of the loop?”

“Why not, since they’ve been hitting on my daughter. Hey Lockjaw, Immelman coming, on countdown angels 35 then coast to the top, when you come around light ‘em up and let ‘em feel the love. “

“Roger that Jumper.”

“Well boys, I think I’m going to have to go now, I’ll see you on the ground.”

“Snoopy, where the hell is she?”

Switching frequencies to their private channel Beth counted it down, “three, two, one…”

“Now!” Two Phantoms pulled into a gut wrenching vertical climb on afterburner. As they reached their agreed on tip over point at 35,000 feet Angel flight came down at the two Intruders straight out of the sun. General Pruett lit up the Blacksheep and as soon as she had a lock, Angel called out, “Fox-two, Fox two away. Fox three, fox three away; closing with guns. Colonel Thompson took the second Intruder, and he too “launched” missiles while the marine pilots were still looking for them, “Angel Flight” went to afterburner close enough to scorch the crusader’s paint. All four of them hoped the gun camera had recorded their kills correctly.

Half an hour later, two very embarrassed Marine pilots met up with Angel Flight. Beth extended her hand. “Hi guys, I’m “Angel” Otherwise known as Beth Pruett, and this is my Father, General Rex Pruett. Those two are Captain Fred Blanton, and Colonel Mike Thompson, Lockjaw and Dusty, or dust bin, I’m never quite sure which.”

“Oh my God, you’re her! I’m Snoopy, otherwise known as Captain Ted Schultz, and this reprobate is my wingman, Turk, otherwise known as Captain Joe Foster, friend and all around good guy,” he enthused almost ripping my arm off while shaking my hand.

“Ted what the hell did you mean It’s her?”

“This is the PJ that’s getting all the press in the bay area. I didn’t know you’re a pilot.”

“Well, after today I hope you still respect me in the morning.”

Everyone laughed at the lame joke.

My Dad cut in, “she came up with and initiated today’s strategy; a regular chip off the old block.”

“Oh man, that means you are Brigadier General Chip Pruett! Wow. It’s a mighty small world.”

“I’m just glad she’s on our side, I mean, some of the thing’s she’s done.”

“Guy’s, I’m not really sure who’s doing what to whom. My guess is I get to play medical logistician.” I’d skinned myself out of the Gee suit, and jumpsuit and ran my brush through my hair.

We traded veiled innuendo back and forth. About 10 minutes of that, and a butterbar came roaring around the wall in what looked like a brand new 75 Mustang. The Mustang was gorgeous. Painted in Air Force Blue and Gold, but no “Official Use Only” or “Air Force property” tags could be seen. Instead, it had federal License plates front and back. The appropriate site tags were there, along with General’s stars. The young looey (lieutenant) looked real relieved.

“Hey, I’m looking for a real bad hombre, supposed to give him the new Mustang. Does anyone know where I can find a pilot/pj with the improbable moniker of “Angel,” a Major L. B. Pruett, who has an uncle named Brigadier “Chip” Pruett.”

I reached around him and took the keys to my car. “Gimme, and he’s my Daddy, not my Uncle. Thank you, how long is it mine?”

With perfect savor faire the young Lieutenant replied “Ma’am, it’s charged against a senior officer’s code assigning it to you. It has already been fully expended. You own it permanently, excepting upkeep and maintenance. Those will be provided free of charge as long as you own it. A singing telegram goes with it.

The young man began singing:

Beth we both laid bet against you once before

Yes We both bet against you, And we hope the ‘stang’s a gift you

You Will enjoy, like the new one that’s in store.

He quit singing and spoke while handing me a message form.

“Colonel, do you really have to call me Governor Moonbeam?

Please call me when you get this., Thanks, Jerry Brown”

The note was from the Governor, himself, and the Commanding General, Military Department of California. I was out of my depth and a bit confused. Daddy laughed loudly at the incident. He guessed there would have been a much more sedate ride had they not waxed the Crusaders. The singing telegraph officer pulled a bike out of the trunk, and pedaled off into the distance.

The Marines were busy looking at the car.

“Princess, it appears the Governor Is aware of your name for him. I think he wants to bury the hatchet. In exchange for accepting his citations, you are forgiven your “les majesty” and he will think twice before he sends medals - for a while anyway. I can guarantee he knows you’re on the ground. If I were you, I’d go knock politely at the office in that hanger, call the base operator, and tell her you’re returning the Governor’s call and that you will wait for the Governor.”

I called out, “Bye guys!” as I’d started walking, as Daddy more or less lead me to the office, and I made the call.

“Governor, who am I supposed to report to down here.”

“Dr. Lt. Col. Ted Stevens. I’m afraid I’ve one piece of bad news. Ted insists you are the single best person in the state to head this mission up. He had a number of conditions to get a complete senior medical staff moving to Guam. One of them he would NOT compromise on. I just got off the phone with him, again. He’s even more stubborn than you are. First, and I’m really sorry on this, but he…, I can’t get him to compromise, he absolutely demands you outrank him.”

“Governor, I’m too young for the rank I already hold.”

“Beth, may I call you Beth? He’s being backed up on this by the State Medical Examination Board. Your work as “Doctor” Pruett under the direct supervision of two clinicians, and ALL the ER Physicians with whom you have worked as “The Angel,” and frankly, the sheer number of lives you’ve touched, has given me little choice but to use you. Whether Military or civilian every doctor you have worked with they all agree you are the best there is. So I must use you in a very unorthodox way. Under the direction of the Air Force Chief of Staff, you are hereby appointed to the rank of Colonel, which may or may not revert to Lieutenant Colonel, Captain or Major, as prudent, as the circumstances dictate.”

“You do understand I’m afraid of being pushed into making a decision I’m not capable of making.”

“I’d brought that up already. They ALL have confidence in you. Frankly more confidence than they have in me. If I didn’t know you were real I’d suspect you were a character in a comic book. You are just too good to be true. On the unanimous recommendation of the Medical Examination Board of the State of California, and the VA, you are Awarded a Doctor of Medicine degree from the State of California's Medical Teaching Hospitals, most of which you've managed to visit during Angel flights. Now you are a Doctor of medicine, and licensed in the State of California. Laughing the Governor continued. You are, in fact, as of two hours ago, a Medical Doctor, even before you go to Medical School. I can’t wait till I hear about your first day when and if you decide to attend. You are covered by a hold harmless clause as an officer of the State. This waiver of liability will expire when you are released by the Federal Government and are back in the State. ‘You’ are expected to listen to your Chief of Staff Lt Colonel Ted Stevens M.D., Captain Cindy Hayes, R.N., your Chief of nursing services, and your Chief of Medicine, Major Terry Williams M.D. It’s an excellent team, a lot of your field teams are from the Guard. Right now they are afraid to do anything. That airplane going down totally screwed up everything. You need to bring order to that effort. You are going to be a great commander. As I understand it. You will be carrying orders that will override any of the local commanders, including the admirals, and generals you encounter. So please, just take the damn promotion and get on with it!”

I looked over at my Dad, he looked very pleased with this change of events. “You want to go with me Dad?” I asked.

“Princess, if you can get me Federalized I’d love it. I can be your advisor.”

“Governor?” “Of course” he answered.

“General, what about the National Guard?”

“Colonel, I’d already made the recommendation to the Pentagon. I’ve been up since about 3:00 this morning. Colonel, you have all the right training. You have the most recent “field time” of any Military Doctor or EMT in the state. Everyone agrees you are the best we’ve got. I hate like anything to drop you into this mess but you and especially you with your father have the experience necessary to sort it out. Your dad will be your advisor on Military affairs. You have a great staff.”

The Governor came back on the phone, “This is one of those “once in a lifetime opportunities.” You have improved the face of rescue medicine in most of the Bay Area. You have also, single handed I might add, improved relationships between the Local Police and the Coast Guard. That may have been the deciding factor is using you. You also have the most face time with both Federal and Local rescue officials. Everyone I spoke to today has sung your praise.”

“Governor, please, just stop,” I told him. “If you’re going to talk to me, then please, just talk to me. Don’t try to sell me something.”

“I’m sorry Beth, a politician’s bad habit. The bottom line is we need you.”

“I heard that, and I’ll do it. I won’t do it for you Governor; I’ll do it because my own honor demands it. From the first words you said, I had no choice. I am proud to wear the uniforms I wear. I am proud to stand between my people and the wolves of the world. To refuse to go would be to break faith with everyone who’s ever gone into danger before me. I could never do that. Honor First, Honor Last, Always Honor.”

“Beth, I hope you believe this, I am really looking forward to meeting you in person. I’m sure your parents are very proud of you, I am. Good luck, and Godspeed Linda Elizabeth Pruett, goodbye.”

The general was still on the line, “okay, where am I to meet everyone?”

“Well, we’d assembled a field hospital, from Texas, and it’s been in Guam this last month. The equipment, doctors and nurses, and your junior staff members have already been staged in Guam for the last two weeks. There’s an Air Force VIP plane waiting on your decision. I was sure you’d need some time to say goodbye before you left. Captain Hayes refused to leave without you. She should be at your hanger by the time you get off the phone. I want to add that I’ve never been so completely humbled by anyone. Honor, I’d almost forgot the meaning. You are everything I was told to expect, and more. The way you spoke of honor,” his voice seemed to fade out as if he remembered something from long ago.”

“It’s what defines us sir.”

“Good Luck Colonel, trust your instincts, I also look forward to meeting you. Goodbye.”

Chapter Ten: Love and Layovers

“Daddy, should we fly ourselves there? Or get acquainted with everyone?

“Baby Girl, I think you and Cindy need to talk to your birth Daddy. Then get on your staff plane. I’ll meet you there.”

“Oh, I picked these up for you. I had a hunch I’d need them someday, I just didn’t know it would be this soon.” With that, he changed my insignia from Lieutenant Colonel to Full Colonel. “There are no words to describe how proud I am of you. I would have given you mine, but I pounded those into the lid of your sister’s coffin.”

My sister was Amelia Constance Pruett. She was born exactly two years, to the day, before me, but officially two years after me. Amy never left the hospital. She had been born with a lethal gene defect. She died the day she was born. The doctor’s told Momma and Daddy it was most likely the result of Dad being an observer at nuclear tests.

It’s often a private graveside ceremony. The officers present remove a piece of metal from their uniforms, usually their current rank insignia. The insignia are pounded into the lid of the person (or the child of a VERY well loved Commanding Officer,

“You are making me cry Daddy, thank you for telling me that.” I hugged him. About the same time, we were joined in the hug by Cindy.”

“I heard that, it was a sweet thing to do. Hi Daddy” Cindy said from the other side.

“Hey, since when do you call me Daddy?”

We were alone in the office. Cindy walked over to the door and locked it. Then she came to me, and knelt on one knee. “Linda Elizabeth Pruett will you marry me?”

All I could do was stare at her, then nod my head trying to hold back tears as she slipped a ring on my finger.

I helped her to her feet.

“Well, what are you waiting for,” My dad asked me.

“Bu.. bu.. but I, I don’t have a ring for her,” I sobbed.

“Please tell me I’m not going to have to show you how to change a baby,” he said. “Fortunately I do think ahead.” Daddy handed me a ring, “It was your great grandmother’s, my Grandma. Your Mom and I thought you might need it sooner rather than later.”

Then I knelt before her, I gasped between crying fits, “Cynthia Margaret Hayes, will you marry me?” It was time for her to turn on the waterworks as she nodded her head.

“Okay, I now pronounce you husband and wife. You decide which is which. You know your mother’s are really going to want a big wedding. Think about THAT on the flight to Guam.”

“Okay, there’s one thing that I have to do. We’ll be back in about an hour. Oh, and Dad, would you call the special order’s desk at Moffett and have them send the packages on to Guam? And could you call my Mom and be sure she’s at the VA as soon as she can, and do you think you can get the new Velcro patches I need?” I think that all came out as a single stream of consciousness blurt.

Without waiting for an answer, I ran to my new car and unlocked the door. I opened the door for Cindy, and Cindy reached across the seat and opened my door for me, and it was off to VA hospital. There were two reasons for going there, the first, totally bogus, was to fill my new doctor’s bag with assorted this and that. That took fifteen to twenty minutes. Then I went to the pharmacy, and picked up a little more this and that, I still had space; so I grabbed a bit more of that or this. We then went to my Father’s room. Mom had arrived before us.

My Dad looked horrible. It was clear he was fighting to live, and time was not on his side. “Mom, Dad, I asked you here today to tell you Cindy asked me to marry her, and I’ve asked her to marry me. Did that come out right?”

My mother hugged me, and then Cindy. I hugged my Dad. “You’ve made a wonderful choice. I wish, more than anything, I could go back and do everything the right way.” He took a deep breath, sighed, and smiled, “I see they promoted you again, or is this one more of your adventures?”

“No Pop, it is for real, the State even confirmed me as a medical doctor. I’ll be working on the Babylift out of Vietnam. I’ve a flight waiting for me and Cindy, but I had to tell you. I’m glad Cindy felt the same way.”

“Make room for me,” Cindy ordered, laughing, she leaned over and kissed him on his cheek. “I’m sorry we didn’t do everything right. I’m supposed to ask the bride’s father for his permission to marry his daughter.”

My Father looked up, asked if she loved me, and could take care of me, Cindy told him she certainly did and certainly could. Pop grabbed our two hands and put them together. “Yes, I approve, you two are going to be so good for each other. Now go along you two, I doubt I’ll be here when you get back. Beth, Honey, you gave me a gift beyond measure. Thank you for seeing me that day in December. I know I wasn’t very pleasant. I want you to remember this about me. In the end, I tried to set things right.”

He smiled and wistfully told me, “You still smell like your mother. I’ve been blessed having you for a daughter. Thank you for what you’ve done to extend my life. All that time, I learned so much about the daughter I almost never got to know. Never doubt I love you.”

“I love you too Dad. I hope and pray you’re here when we get back.”

Those were the very last words I ever spoke to my father. To the end he was still fighting for his life. That end came about two weeks later. I missed his funeral. I was way the hell and gone somewhere in Southeast Asia.

Cindy and I went to the plane waiting for us. Daddy had brought over my luggage, flight gear, and the new name tags from the PX. As we boarded there was enthusiastic applause. The single bed on the plane was mine and Cindy’s. Someone had laid out a light meal, and champagne was on ice. The paper sign taped to the rear door indicated it was the Bridal Suite. “Daaaddy, you’re not supposed to do that.”

“Relax Pumpkin, Everyone here knows who you are, and who you used to be. Argh, and they also be knowin’ it’s a long way down from cruising altitude!” With that he shuffled forward. Dropping the pirate voice he told me “Oh, btw, you’ve a fighter escort. It’s your friends from the Marine Corps. And yes, you’re seeing right, both are armed to the teeth. The missiles? Those are war shots. The Governor again “when you care enough to send the very best…”

I wandered up to the cockpit, and saw the Governor came through again. Ahead, two Marine A-6’s and a couple of my Western Airlines friends were flying the 707. “Geez, look who the rat drug in John,” the co-pilot pointed at me.

“Naw, I saw her walk in with some other dame. One of them’s the head honcho on this here mission of mercy.”

I couldn’t help it I giggled. “Nice to see you guys in a real uniform for a change.”

I waved Cindy forward. “Cindy, I’d like to introduce you to two of the finest pilot’s Western Airlines employs. The guy on the left is named John, apparently he’s a Major though he never believed my actual rank, the right one is Jay. He believes the stories I tell, he just doesn’t believe I’m the one doing them.”

“Hi Guys,” Cindy smiled at them and that just about melted them to their seats.

“So, what’s our flight plan?” I asked.

They had just started to answer, and the stewardess was about to close the door when Fred Blanton staggered in under the weight of two duffel bags. “Wow, I wasn’t sure I’d make it. Colonel Thompson sends me with his blessings. I bought everything I thought I’d need. When I called my wife you’d think we’d just come into a bunch of money. When I asked what she thought, her words were: “Work with the Angel??? Are you crazy? Yes, it’s your duty. You HAVE to take it. Otherwise, you’ll be sleeping in the Garage.” I didn’t know you even knew her.”

“Well then Captain, welcome aboard. I’m going to go and see how much time we have between here and there, And Fred, my name is Beth, that’s what I expect to be called; and I really don’t eat junior officers. Oh, and I’ll tell you later how your wife knows me.” I turned back to the pilot’s.

“So guys, you were saying“

Jay just looked at me in shock. When he recovered he told me. “We’ll land at Hawaii to replenish and for mandatory crew rest. A second flight crew may join us there. They are also from Western, when I told them who they might be carrying they both started laughing. They know you, which may have prompted the hysterical laughter. Seems they had trouble believing you were even a Captain. Much less you were a bird Colonel. We’ll be on the ground for crew’s rest. A minimum of about six hours, and then we’ll take off for Guam. We’ll refuel again at Midway Island. Hawaii National Guard will fly escort into Guam.”

“‘k. If you need me I’ll be in the “Bridal Suite.” So, it follows, please don’t need me.”

“Hey Colonel, you want to drive? Maybe the takeoff and up to cruising altitude? Might as well add “Western Airlines” wings to every other improbable thing you’ve done.”

“Guys, I’d love to, but what would they do without me in the back?”

“Get some sleep? Do cross-word puzzles?”

“Okay, you got me, get out of that seat Jay. Oh boy! It’s a red letter day! I had a GREAT flight down from Moffett, flying a Phantom II, I actually got to jump and kill the two Marines who were the opposing force; and now I get to lead the parade!”

They laughed. “Hey Colonel, you just have to tell us when you’re telling a whopper, Jay will believe anything.”

“Oh you are so in for it. Let me tell you a truth, I never lie.” I switched the secondary radio to the correct band, “Angel actual, Marine Birddog flight, com check.”

“Gee, and I was just about to think you didn’t love us anymore.”

To the stunned pilots I remarked, “That was Turk, a really nice guy, for a Marine.” I answered, “Nah, when it comes to jarheads you and Snoopy are my one and only true loves. You will always hold a special place in my heart, I’ll always savor my first six aerial kills. I can’t wait to see the gun camera films; I think I killed each of you twice with guns twice with Sidewinders, and twice with Sparrows. I’m hoping to see the film after going to 20 mike mike.”

“That’s just harsh Angel, and after all we’ve done for you.”

“Angel, are you really the one in charge of this brouhaha?” Snoopy asked. Before answering I mentioned how Snoopy was the brains of the daring duo; to the incredulous pilots.

“That’s what they say Snoopy, that’s what they say.”

“Hey, and we get to carry real live weapons, I guess someone wants to keep you from getting lost.”

“Can you guys deliver McDonalds on the way?”

“Sorry Angel, no can do.”

“Sigh, and I thought you loved me too.” I heard John on the other radio, Miramar Tower, “Angel Flight, 707 heavy with two Intruders direct transit Miramar to Hickam.”

“Angel Flight, you are number one, no inbound flights at this time. Proceed with flight plan climb to Angels 45, transit direct to Hickam Field, handing over to ATC West at this time.”

“Well, you two get to go first Birddog, we’ll be right behind you.”

“Colonel, it’s your bird.” It was the stuff of boredom. I know. But it was MY first time. I know I had a silly smile on my face. John was a great teacher. I was only in control for maybe 45 minutes, but it was incredible.

I climbed out of the seat, “Thanks, guys that was fun.”

They looked at one another, and chuckled, “you take it Jay, I’ve got to use the head.”

I waited until John was gone, and asked Jay politely if he’d like to do an Immelman, or rolling scissors? He just looked at me in terror.

I walked back into the cabin, and Dad asked was that me. I just smiled and nodded my head. “Hey everyone, I’m gonna get a bit of rest, I’d like to set up a meeting as soon as we leave Hawaii.” I walked to Cindy and asked her if she’d like to join me? Her smile lit up the cabin, “I thought you’d never ask.”

“Hey Colonel, I hate to interrupt, but I have to give you this first.”

“Oh, hi Ted” “Hey, I’m mad at you Lieutenant Colonel DOCTOR ALVIN THEODORE SIMON STEVENS.”

“Yeah, I expected that. All I can say is you’ve earned every promotion, every ribbon, every medal you’ve ever been given. I know you don’t believe that. That’s because you are a very very brave, and capable, and young woman. Yeah, I know you’re younger than your “official” age. I know all you’ve done. You deserve the rank. You are the only Doctor in California who is also an EMT, and certified as a Pararescue jumper. I absolutely fear that last will be important.”

“So, be mad at me, I sure as hell deserve it for the ways I’ve gone behind your back to get you named as the head of this mission in the last twenty-four hours.”

I deflated. “I couldn’t stay mad, but damn it, you could have asked. I would have done it If You Had Only Asked. I didn’t have to be beaten over the head, or bribed or ordered. All YOU had to do was ask.”

“And NOW, you’ve made me cry in front of Cindy TODAY!” I took the briefcase and fled to the back of the plane.”

“What did I do?” he asked of Cindy.

“I asked her to marry me and she asked me to marry her less than two hours ago. I better go see that she’s okay. She’ll be better in the morning.”

Behind the open cabin was a work space and bed. I sat down still sniffling and looked into the briefcase. The first envelope had my name on it.

I cracked the sealed wafer and opened it. Inside were several file folders. The first labeled “Mission” inside was a disingenuous statement, “repatriate orphan children suspected of having American fathers in South Vietnam to Zone interior” (military speak for get as many babies back to the United States that you can).

The second was labeled “Resources.” This was followed by “Means” then “Contingencies” and finally “Orders.” The last I opened almost without thinking. Inside were separate envelopes, one of which was “General Rex Pruett.” There were a couple of dozen different theatre commander’s names on the rest of the envelopes. I opened the Contingency file. One in particular puzzled me, I looked at what had hurridly been typed. It had my name on it, and was labeled “Case Yellow” under that was written “For use at your discretion if resistance by any command occurs.” Read soonest.

I opened the bulky envelope, a jewelry box fell out, along with the most chilling words I’d ever read.

“Commission dated April 4, 1975 to Colonel Linda Elizabeth Pruett.”

“Greetings, you will take upon yourself the rank of Lieutenant General, United States Air Force with all rights and privileges thereto appertaining…” It went on for several paragraphs. At the bottom were the signatures. The Secretary of Defense, the Air Force Chief of Staff, and the President of the United States of America, and eight others. Damn, they woke the president of the whole friggin’ United States of America to sign this.

Fortunately Cindy chose that moment to open the door.

Unfortunately Cindy chose that moment to open the door.

“Bloody Fucking Hell, DADDY, PLEASE get Ted and get the F’ing hell in here!! “Fred, you too.” I turned to the air vent and started breathing deeply.

Cindy, bless her, sensed something was dreadfully wrong. “What’s wrong?” I just pointed to the piece of paper.

At the same moment Daddy, Ted, and Fred, carrying a notebook and pen, entered the cabin. I motioned to shut the door. Then I had Cindy read that damned warrant.

Ted turned white, Cindy started tearing up. Daddy started laughing hysterically. Fred, well, he just looked bewildered. John came over the interphone, “Angel Actual, please pick up the interphone, Angel Actual, pick up the damn phone!”

I handed Dad his orders while I continued to try and catch my breath. Without thinking I picked up the phone, “You okay back there Angel?”

“Yeah, just an unexpected twist the two of you together won’t believe.” I put the phone down.

Daddy picked up his envelope; “Aww Damn,” he said. He handed Cindy a box and asked her to pin them in place as he pulled his single star out. Cindy found the pair of two Stars, and pinned them on him.

“Argh, Hoisted on me own petard am I. What sez I would cause them to do it? Blackguards one and all.” He sat down heavily beside me.

“Fred, you can go now.”

“Two stars for you, I’m glad Daddy, and you deserve it. Are we really so transparent they know what we will do? Do either of you two chuckleheads have any idea of the trouble you’ve caused? I was scheduled for some very important surgery.”

I’d been scheduled for the last bit of surgery that would get rid of the last traces of boy bits and in the process the surgeons were going to finish making my labial folds. I’d waited so long that any delay seemed terribly unfair.

Ted spoke first, “Beth, I am so sorry. I didn’t even think about it.”

Daddy spoke up, “uh, what surgery are you talking about?”

I looked at him, with a “why did you spill your milk” kind of look on my face. Sometimes I wonder about him. No matter what’s going on around him his brain is percolating all the time, recirculating over and over and over.

“Daddy, it’s the one they do after the tunnel and getting rid of the junk in the trunk. They were going to finish whacking my tallywacker off.”

“Oh,” he gulped. OH!”

He caught the message and turned a bright red. Quickly he changed the subject before Cindy and I beat him to death — a sub-prime outcome.

“Baby, there’s a cost to those to stars. I’ve been recalled to active service. I’m back in the damned Air Force and promoted to Major General. I could wear two stars when I was with the National Guard, the second star was a going away present. They’ve made it clear by awarding the second star that I am, again, in the regular Air Force.”

“Are we so transparent?”

“I’m so sorry Baby girl, I never anticipated this. You and I are honorable, and dare I say noble people. We believe in honor. There is right, and there is wrong, and there is chaos. Sometimes life hands you situations where there are no good answers, and sometimes no good choices. So we do the best we can, and pray what we do is right. Honor First”

I continued, “Honor Last,” and together we finished the Mantra that governed our lives, “Always Honor.”

“Come on Ted, I suspect they should be alone for now. Ma’am,” Dad braced to attention, “We will not disturb you before landing at Hickam Field for anything less than an emergency.” For the first time in his life he saluted me - first.

Honor for Honor; Honor first, honor last, always honor. I returned the salute, “Carry on General.”

Then I crumpled onto the bed. Honor first, honor last, always honor. That may have been the point where everything changed. The “torch had been passed…” and all that crap. I thought I had known fear before. Nothing ever scared me as much as the first time my Father saluted me.

Cindy sat there, waiting patiently for me to gather my wits. She rubbed my neck, my shoulders, my back, stop, repeat. “I don’t know if I can do this.”

“I know Honey, I’m here, and I’ll always be here.”

“I guess there’s something I have to do, would you come and just be there with me?”

“You know you didn’t need to ask.”

I stepped into the Main Cabin. “Ladies and Gentlemen, I apologize for my outburst. Going from Major to Lieutenant General in one day will do that to you. Still, my outburst was uncalled for.”

I looked at Fred, “You want to grab a pen and some paper? I’ve some thoughts for when we get to Hawaii.”

“First, can you check out of the armory enough 45’s and at least two magazines per pistol for everyone on the plane, and a couple of extra 45’s. I’d also appreciate gun belts and combat harness. Count the number of people on board, and check out one M-16 and a normal load-out of magazines for each person, plus a couple of extras. See if you can get two M-16’s with bull barrels and the best scopes they’ve got. If you can get ‘em, I’d like two boxes of fragmentation and smoke grenades. And at least a couple of the 40mm grenade launchers for under the barrel of the M-16s. And I guess a couple canteens per person, and I know this is pushing it, but K-bar combat knives would be great. I suppose you should pick up helmets and if they have it lightweight body armor.” I saw Dad looking at me, silently mouthing the word “Bloop-tube,” I nodded he mouthed “Claymore,” and I think I just crossed my eyes for a moment to see if that would clear my head. It didn’t. I just looked at him and nodded.

“Ladies, and gentlemen, I know all the rules for carrying a weapon as a non-combatant. That having been said, I will insist that each of you carry a minimum of a pistol at all times you are on a flight to or from Vietnam. I’ll be happy to discuss this in private. If enough of you can convince me that I’m wrong, I’ll be happy to implement a different plan. It’s no secret, I’ve had to use a weapon during a rescue. I took a bullet through my thigh. It could just as easily been through my heart, and I’d be dead right now. It was a choice between me, and my father, or the perp. I killed two men that night. If you need familiarization with a firearm, I’m sure Captain Blanton can provide basic instruction. Or, if you like, ask my father; he’s a true expert and teacher of armed and unarmed combat. I’m not asking you to do any more than protect yourselves, your patients, and each other. Keep in mind; you are NOT going into a situation where we are at war with any of the combatants. It is also a place where the law is coming apart. Yeah, we were friends with the South, but we are not fighting for them anymore. People will be debating the rights and wrongs of our decision for years. Personally, I think it sucks that our country is abandoning an ally. Yeah, I know our moral compass is adrift, but grade school 101 teaches that you don’t give up on your friends, and you never give in to bullies. And please, I don’t want to go into it any more than that.”

“Beth,” If you don’t mind, I want to visit the armory with Captain Blanton. Sometimes being a general has its perks.”

“That would be great Daddy.” And to show how much it pleased me I gave him a kiss on the cheek. I then asked, “And would you get all the chocolate bars you can beg, borrow, or steal?”

“Any questions anyone? Suggestions? Okay then, I am going to try and get some sleep. This has been a truly memorable day. Since I woke this morning I’ve been promoted, sent to San Diego, Soloed in the F-4 and killed two marine fighters, promoted again, said goodbye to my father, logged time as the pilot of this plane — from parking to runway to rotation and then to thirty thousand feet, asked Cindy to Marry me, after she asked me to marry her, ”

Cindy and I made our way to the bridal suite. Surprisingly, there were no catcalls.

I grabbed my toothbrush and cleaned my teeth. Cindy had taken advantage of the shower. At the last minute, she reached out and GRABBED me, and I enjoyed a brief shower.

April 5, 1975

Much later we spent our night in matching nighties. Sometimes my Father was way too efficient. Her’s and Her’s nightgowns were only one example. I had a delightful night. It’s so much nicer when there’s someone to share it with. I was surprised we were already on the ground when I woke up. Cindy came in bearing breakfast. She smiled at me, and all was well in my world. I asked how long had we been on the ground? Cindy laughed. It was, too me, as though a thousand silver bells rang every time she spoke.

“Uh, we’ve been on the ground, for almost 6 hours. It took that long for Captain Blanton and your Dad to get back to the plane. They’ve kept us waiting, the Army wants to question you, and CINCPAC would appreciate you taking the time to talk with him.”

“Honey, can you get out our spiffies? You and I are going up in the world.” I stuck my head around the door and called for my father. “Daddy, you, Cindy and I are going calling. Ted, you too. It seems CINCPAC would prefer speaking now rather than later. I have my “commission” in my briefcase. Cindy gets to act like she is my secretary. Daddy you can come along as yourself, and I sure don’t know who or what I’ll be when the meeting is over.”

I looked out the window at the army jeep waiting at the base of the stairs.

“Am I in any trouble?”

“No, it was all legal and above board, except something called a “Bloop Tube.” Do know what that is?”

I just started laughing. “Oh Yeah! Honey that will stop anything short of a tank.”

Cindy looked at me, suddenly sober. “This really is dangerous, isn’t it?”

“If it wasn’t do you really think anyone would Shanghai me or turn my Dad loose in an armory with no spending limit and a shopping basket? Cindy, honey, I’ve been shot at, so’s my Dad. We have both killed. I did not enjoy it. Sometimes it eats into my soul. The only thing worse than killing would be my Dad being dead, or not being here with you.” With that, I started crying, damning all hormones, Governor’s, and anyone else I could think of; rocking back and forth, I then I spoke the hardest words of my life. “If that is too much, and if you truly love me, run away from me now.”

Cindy put the breakfast tray down, and joined me on the bed. “I’m just glad you’re here, and so am I. She started rocking, and matched me. Soon her arms were around me, rocking with me. Then, with our tears mingling she quoted from the Bible.

“And Ruth said, Entreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God.”

“Linda Elisabeth, I love you with all my heart. Like Ruth said, we are one. I will never leave you or forsake you.”

I think the tears washed away the memory of that cold night on seal crap rock. Well, not the memory, but the hurt was fading; that was when I finally quit having nightmares of killing. We were in love, truly, madly in love. I never expected it to be like this.

Chapter Eleven: “CINCPAC“ Apr 5, 1975

Cindy took my breakfast plate, still uneaten forward to the galley. The Stewardess offered to zap it again in the on-board microwave oven (I still couldn’t get over how amazing those things were). Cindy declined. She had, none too discretely suggested I get dressed, and oh by the way Daddy brought you a present from the armory and it’s on your desk. Knowing my father, and knowing where he’d been sparked a curiosity that would wait on nothing. Inside the case was one of my absolutely favorite weapons, a brand spanking new, Heckler and Koch MP-5 SMG. I had one in the Palo Alto police armory, but hadn’t thought to bring it along. For the unfamiliar, the MP-5 was a “personal defense weapon,” with an attitude. Capable of firing automatically, or semi-automatically, it gave an opponent pause before continuing. A couple of gun fights I knew of had stopped before really getting started simply from the sight and sound. It convinced more than one “offender” it was time to just give it up. It came with two 30 round magazines, and fifteen to twenty boxes of ammunition, a second box contained a couple more 50 round magazines, thoughtfully pre-loaded in the 9x19 mm, 158 grain FMJ that I favored. Inside was a card from Daddy; ”Late Merry Christmas or Promotion Present (‘s) (‘s) (‘s)’s Princess. I pray you never have to use it, but if you do, use it to its best ability.”

Cindy returned to find me pouring over the manual. I was checking to see if there were any new modifications I should know about. It was nice to see an improved trigger group, with two and three round bursts in addition to semi-automatic and full rock and roll. I looked up at her with a huge grin on my face. “Honey, I’ll probably never use it, but survival just went up 200% if I do.”

When I put it that way, Cindy gave me a little smile in return. “Well Honey”, she said, “when you put it that way I’m glad your father found a way to “acquire” it”.

It took twenty minutes or so getting dressed and looking well enough to pass Dad’s inspection. “Remember Sweetheart, YOU not ME are the one in charge. Be ready with your letter. I’ve never met Admiral Young. Remember, he’s got to be good to hold this post. Also, he’s going to be wearing three or four stars. At best you’ll be equal, more likely, you’ll be junior to him in rank AS IN EVERY OTHER THING. Princess, you are going to him, hat in hand. I know you’ll be tactful, but don’t hesitate to bring out that commission and his letter. He can hinder your performance; hell, he can shut you down. Just remember, He’s the biggest fish in the pond, but you have some pretty fierce teeth. We headed east into the hills above Pearl Harbor. His office building was incredible. The surrounding country was absolutely gorgeous. Our driver let us off at the entrance after telling us there were always vehicles available to take us back to our plane. At the front desk, Admiral Young’s office was advised we were in the building, and told someone would be right down to show the way.

That someone was suave beyond belief, more handsome than any man I’d ever met. I found myself reacting in ways I’d never expected. I wanted him to want me. That’s not quite right. I wanted to rip his clothes off and have him make love to me all night long. I looked at Cindy and noted she was reacting much the same way. More than anything else, THAT helped me start breathing again and reached out to shake his hand equal to equal, not man to conquest. Still, it had been close. I was glad that Daddy and Cindy were both there. I was going to want to examine what just happened in the cold light of morning — assuming I got there.

“Hi, I’m Linda Elisabeth Pruett, I’ve been assigned to restart Operation BabyLift. This is my advisor, my father Rex Pruett, and Cindy here is my chief of nursing services.”

I was so grateful when he spoke. He sounded just like Gomer Pyle, USMC. “It’s my pleasure to welcome you to Hawaii,” Cindy took his arm, “and, the Admiral asked that I take you to the Flag section of the dining room. He likes doing two or three things at the same time. Follow me please. Oh, my name is Commander Bob Vigoda. Where did you’all come from?”

Thank you Cindy, keeping him away from me just added another reason for why I’m madly and passionately in Love with you.

The dining room was on the 4th floor with a beautiful view of Pearl Harbor. The Admiral was alone at a table set for six. ”Ladies, Gentlemen, please join me, I’m Roger Young.” he stood and held a chair out for me. “I was initially confused as to who is who. It referenced a letter for me, and a commission for yourself. Have you read those letters Colonel?”

“Yessir. I’ve read and chosen Case Yellow, and my orders under it. I’ll be happy to hand over the letter addressed to you, as well as mine. I have NOT read your letter sir. If you’ve any idea as to a better way to accomplish the tasks set before me I’ll be quite grateful. Initially, both letters were meant to overcome any opposition. However, the more I think about it, the less I like my other options.

“Okay then, why don’t we both read our orders. I took the liberty for ordering for all of us. The first course is a salad, much like a Caesar salad, that’s followed by a “poo-poo” platter that is served with fried rice and a fried noodle dish. My chef is wonderful, I promise you’ll find something to your taste.” As he talked, he was working through his salad.

“Well, my orders are simple enough, cooperate with you and help get those kids out of Vietnam.”

“Let’s see that letter you’re carrying.”

The poo poo platter was brought to the table.

He filled his plate with several small sumptuous selections, “May I suggest some of this Beef lo mein? He added a couple of spoonful’s to my plate. “This is one my favorites, sweet and sour Chicken.”

“Admiral, I’ve actually read mine enough to memorize the places the typist erased a mistake.”

“You’ve the advantage Beth. Oh pardon me, may I call you Beth?”

“Please do sir.” I handed him my letter.

He read through it, and the first time, he stopped several times.

“Well Beth, what we have here is a set of orders, covered in an enigma, surrounded by a mystery. You have me at a total loss for words Ms. Pruett. Your thoughts, if you please?”

“My initial estimate is this whole thing may be a stalking horse, something for the public so we can say we tried. Unfortunately, I have no intention of failing.”

“Good for you! I promise, you will receive all the help I am able to provide you with. Do you have any preliminary requests?”

“Yes, as many inspectors for the C-5 as can be scrounged from throughout the Asian commands. That’s my first bottleneck. Someone has deliberately grounded those aircraft. I believe that to be CINCMACGUAM. I want to identify the who. I want to discover the most likely reason for that plane that went down. Get the planes working, my guess is the next closest airfield is Clarke/Sasebo. Unload the kids there or Guam. Triage. As that is happening I want them printed both fingers and feet, names, as much ID info as possible. Then move them into the pipeline. Ideally I’d like to fly them out of Clarke for San Diego and San Francisco. I believe we’re going to need an intermediate site. My first choice is Guam:”

“They have a hospital, and a field hospital.”

“They have lots of potential volunteers.”

“Lots of resources.”

“My second choice is Midway there are some facilities already there. It’s also secure. It’s a tiny island in an American Lake.”

“Admiral, I’m going to need some shooters. Real shooters, not Doctors quickly trained to pull a trigger. I also need a staff that understands the way the military works. My Father will make a great Chief of Staff. But I need a staff that can reliably guess what the North Vietnamese” will do.”

“Do you include yourself among the shooters Beth Pruett?”

“Yes sir. I am Air Force Pararescue. I AM a shooter who happens to be a doctor.”

“You are also out of uniform.”

With a sense of déjá  vu, “I had hoped to avoid that.”

“Ma’am, I would prefer to avoid some things myself.” Seeing a moderately filled dining room he called out, “Attention to Orders.” “Oh crap” I muttered under my breath. I stood at attention as he began. Orders given. As of this date and this time, Linda Elizabeth Pruett. As per orders dated April 4, 1975, from the Air Force Chief of Staff, Washington D.C. You will immediately take upon yourself the rank of Lieutenant-General, United States Air Force with all rights and privileges thereto appertaining. Your initial mission is to repatriate the children of US Service personnel. Signed Gerald Ford, President and a dozen other politicians, ranging from the Secretary of State, Secretary of the Air Force, the Chairman of the Joint Chief of Staff, and others. Published, witnessed, and endorsed by me 1335 hours, April 5, 1975.”

John and Jay happened to be in the room, after also being invited to lunch. I looked at them and called out, “See!” For a moment I feared Jay would drop his tray

“I agree with your choice of Case Yellow. I see 4 viable action plans among those given you:

Round-up Interdiction of PRVN troop clusters. Surround all sides then begin the systematic closure of the kill zone. Cluster bombs and fuel air bomb Hanoi and troop concentrations

Blitzkrieg Restart Arc Light, again from Guam, Sasebo, Cheong Chee, and Anderson. B-52’s targeted to destroy military installations and troop concentrations. Hanoi and troop concentrations primary and secondary targets. Interdict NVA forces moving south past the DMZ.

Forge and Hammer Nuclear Option, Tactical strikes against NVA military targets

Apollo 1 Fast and Furious, Scorched rice paddies in North Vietnam. Destroy foodstuffs.

“My first choice would be Blitzkrieg. Fuel the bombers and arm them. That is what finally brought them to the table at the Paris Peace Accords. Have them ready and on the flight-line.”

“What I’d like, is a seal team, half a dozen pararescue jumpers, and a staff. The Seals to provide groundside security. If their cover is blown scatter towards the DIA compound at the airport and/or run to the coast. I want to use two or three AC-130 gunships in a racetrack flight pattern centered on the Saigon Air Port. The pararescue to cover any boo-boos. Cover the kids, cover the repatriation as long as we can. Rather than the piecemeal of a flight here a flight there I’d like to go in groups of 5 to 10 planes. I believe this will lessen the possibility of someone taking a pot shot at any one plane. It also provides enough shooters, masquerading as crew to get the entire flight off the ground. If things hold together, start evacuating American and friendly foreign nationals, and South Vietnamese. I’d like to set fall back points from which we can continue the evacuations.

“I want, if you can provide it, complete CAP covering 100 miles to the north of Saigon to 100 miles south of Saigon; and from 20 miles west of Saigon to beyond the coast.”

“What I intend to tell the US ambassador is that we want, demand, and will enforce our right to repatriate our citizens from Vietnam.”

The Admiral wiped his mouth, finished chewing while folding his napkin. He then began to clap.

“Beth, you’ve no idea how much I appreciate a young person with such clear and well thought out ideas. If I may make some comments?” He paused, as though waiting for my permission to continue. I nodded.

“First, the idea of your plans and mission as a stalking horse. I don’t think anyone in Washington D.C. is as duplicitous as your stalking horse idea presumes. Now, don’t get me wrong. President Ford is so far out of his depth that it is frightening. Henry Kissinger has the balls to do it, but I don’t believe he trusts the military. Additionally, he knows, beyond all doubt, US foreign policy just simply couldn’t stand another blow; we don’t dare be caught abandoning friends or allies, and most certainly not those babies. Whoever planned “Babylift” really had no clue what the repercussions would be. When President Ford committed to 30 flights out of Saigon for the purpose of rescuing babies, even if most of them had American GI fathers, he blundered, horridly. I believe he did the right thing, but in terms of international “real politik” he committed the US to something that could easily be impossible.”

“But, thank God, he did commit us to it. What I would propose is start the process of Arc Light, and or Linebacker II to get the attention of Hanoi. You are right. Bombers fueled and waiting on the flight line make one hell of a statement. Make it very clear to them, this is going to happen. If you interfere then we’ll beat the crap out of you. Not because of some lofty idea, but because we can. Just let us pick up our toys and friends, and go home. That’s a message that Hanoi will agree to. Let me start some things then we can get back to this delightful lunch.”

“That was to be my argument to the US Ambassador to Saigon. Assuming of course he has the means to get a message to Hanoi.”

“General Pruett, sir, I assume you’ll function as her chief of staff? Good. Our paths have crossed many times we’ve just never been introduced to each other. So, you’ll be chief of staff. Next, a brigade level Army officer. Hey! Vigoda, what’s the status on Nicoli Williams?”

“Well Admiral, as I recall, he was doing some pretty intensive physical therapy. No problem being assigned to Babylift, he can continue PT at the Hospital on Guam.”

“Call him up, he’s ready for fun. He’s an old Vietnam hand, and a canon cocker. Talk it over with him. I know we still have pre-positioned artillery to the South of Saigon. We were going to leave it anyway; that would give you a Brigade’s Artillery power. Staked and ready for fire plans. Hell, the US may no longer be in Vietnam, but by damn most of the US Military would still like to bloody somebody’s nose.”

“Next, from the Navy, I’m thinking of sending Admiral Ed Henry, he commanded USS Independence’s flotilla, and you’ll want a brigade level Marine Officer, I’ll need to look into who’s available.

“From the Air Force we’ll scrounge:”

“6 pararescue jumpers. Your daughter has great instincts by the way. Using the pj’s as troubleshooters gives any group they join up with a big tactical advantage.”

“Base Hospital, and a field Hospital. Medical COS Lt Col Ted Stevens.”

“Phantom II’s from the Air Force pool in Guam.”

“B-52’s staged out of Clark and Anderson Air Bases.”

“A-6 Intruders, the A-6’s can be augmented up to an alpha strike by the five close-in carriers.”

I interrupted, “five close in carriers? I’ll have five carrier groups? Wow! I had no idea. I’m speechless.”

“They didn’t tell you that? Why am I not surprised? You have the USS Midway, the USS Hancock, and the USS Enterprise. Two others are being selected. For troops, even though neither of us are going to use them, I’m sending the III Marine Expeditionary Force. It also makes a lot of noise and any possible enemy is going to have second thoughts about acting up. Along those same lines, I’m going to try and get either the 82nd or 101st mobilized, again making all the noise we can. The 82nd and/or the 101st can deploy to Midway and help SeaBees fix up the buildings there. What the NVA fears the most is American intervention. I want them to think their worst nightmare is coming straight at them.”

2 Huey’s my latest intelligence is there are 6-10 Embassy Marines left. This provides your own flight element. They can give you good lift capabilities, and they make one hell of a gunship.”

“From the Navy: 1 - complete Seal Team. Number three has the most workups. That gives you 45 shooters, an HQ element to make you familiar with them. They also carry their own weapons and things that go bang.”

“Five Aircraft Carrier Groups. We’ll interdict the coast. If we need too, we’ll punch them in the teeth.”

“Brown water Navy. We’ll see what’s left of the fastboats. I’d like to run patrols for close-in retrieval of downed aviators and of refugees up and down the coast of South Vietnam.”

“Air America. Beth, I’ll probably get in trouble over it, but Roger Norbert and Art Kleinfelder will be joining your staff as your intelligence and intentions team, they can work directly for your father. They also have “resources” in Cambodia, Laos, and Thailand. They can double as photo recon. But apart from a crystal ball they are the best in figuring out enemy intentions.”

“Chip, you know this will probably be the only mission they ever assign your daughter too. There’s just not that many 3 star field commands out there, and I really doubt they will ever assign her to a “lower” command level. About the best she can hope for is early retirement.”

“Admiral, you don’t know it, but she has three more full time professions. She’s a physician, she’s a pararescue jumper for the city of Palo Alto (well, actually the whole Bay Area), and she’s a police officer. Everyone keeps underestimating her, and the news people have been driving her (and her Mother and me) completely crazy. She’ll be perfectly happy. Noreen and I adopted her. I had too many atomic tests for my wife and me to have children. We have a pneumonic we use to check in with each other: Honor First. Honor Last. Always Honor. She means that. So do I. We’ll do the job, then worry about what it means to us personally afterwards.”

“Chip, I know it’s very parochial and old fashioned, but I truly wish I’d a son of marriageable age. Everything you say about her raises my estimation of her.

“I’ve two C-5’s decked out as office and communications platforms. It was part of a feasibility study. Together they provide a command and control headquarters.

“They also have the room, barely, for a Huey gun ship. The Huey’s are fitted out with three .50 mini-guns; one controlled by the pilot, one on either side of the ‘copter. They’ve also been equipped with missile pods on either side. There’s also sleeping quarters, and are designed to work in tandem as a temporary medical facility. You also get a kitchen, but you’re not getting my chef! One of the units has been set up as a bedroom/office for the commander. One of the units has an operating room. In the other there is a shower and a berthing unit.

“Chip, though I haven’t known your daughter before, everything I’ve heard from anyone who knows you two gives me a high level of confidence that you’ll get the job done. Keep Beth informed, my gut level reaction is if you do, Beth will do better than anyone could possibly hope for.”

“Well, this is convenient. Seal Team Threes commander just walked in. This gives me a chance to introduce you. Bob, would you please ask Don Ramsey to join us?” Bob intercepted a naval officer and brought him over to our table. “Don It’s my privilege to introduce Lieutenant-General Beth Pruett, and her Chief of Staff Major-General Chip Pruett.

“Ma’am, sir, it’s my pleasure to meet you.”

“Don, Beth Pruett is taking on overall command of Babylift. I’d like your team to help her. She’s a “shooter who happens to be a doctor.” I’m still thinking of who else to send with her. Maybe Nicoli Williams, he has an artillery background. Maybe General Abernathy Tamakhana, USMC; and from the Navy, I’m thinking of sending Ed Henry.”

“Comments commander?”

“All three are solid. I’ve worked with Nick and Abe, I’ve only heard good things of Admiral Henry. Can I assume they’ll provide staff? What’s my role?”

“Beth, it’s your show.”

“Commander I want half a dozen shooters on each aircraft of a 5-10 aircraft flight. If things go in the toilet I want a rear guard that can appear to be flight crew, and cover the C-5’s. Then make a run for the coast. I also want each aircraft to have at least one PJ. That’s my background. If each group of 6 contains 1 PJ I can practically guarantee a successful egress. As for me, triple canopy was my latest SERE course. And yeah, if one of my teams has to run to the coast you can bet I’ll be on Jolly Green to meet them, hell I’ll jump in with a combat team if I have too. I will not leave anyone behind. If someone else gets hurt, I will get them out.”

“Are you a fire eater Ma’am?”

“No, I only fight when there’s no other option. I didn’t choose it, but I take the motto seriously, you might understand why my call-sign is Angel.”

“Ma’am I think I’ve found another General Officer I just might trust.”

“Commander, I’ll be piloting one of the F-4’s, in fighter support, on the first Restart C-5. Seems I have to meet the Ambassador and explain the new rules.”

“New rules Ma’am? Wait, you’re a PJ, and a Doctor, AND an F-4 Fighter Jock?”

“Essentially correct, except I don’t need the jock strap.”

“Oh yes Commander. If someone even thinks of pointing a gun at any of my aircraft it’s open season, and there is no bag limit. It’ll be open season, BUT, you have got to do it my way. Same in the air. Someone on the ground shoots at a C-5, I’ll have two AC130’s to change his mind. I’ll have a minimum of 6 Intruders overhead. If someone even looks like they want to wave at a C-5 my shooters will have orders to open fire. Do those sound like reasonable ROE’s” (Rules of Engagement) “to you Commander?”

“Damn, Admiral, why didn’t someone send her over here when she could have done some good?”

“You don’t think being a woman will limit her?”

“No sir, anyone who does, well, I will, remonstrate with them vigorously. If the Pentagon chose to send a competent three star then who am I to doubt her. And she’s a PJ! Do you really know that that means? Those are the craziest MOFO’s in the military. They send their washouts to be Marine Recon. And the Rules Of Engagement? Hell, I and most of my men have been waiting a long time to be told that it is open season.”

“Just one thing Commander, I don’t WANT trouble, it’s just if it comes, kill it. Dr. Kissinger’s signed off on my appointment. I’ll back you up to the hilt. In other words if the bad guys behave we will behave. But if they mess with us, they’ll be pulling back a bloody stump. One last thing. I will have standing orders that will go into effect if even one GI is killed. An alpha strike and B52’s will make one high altitude pass over Hanoi. This will be a “peaceful demonstration,” just to remind Hanoi what’s coming if they don’t straighten up. One unarmed iron bomb with the new guidance system will land in the intersection of the two busiest streets in the center of Hanoi. This will be the first and last warning they will get. No one gets abandoned, no one gets left behind. A second flight of B-52’s will be ready on the flight-line to begin saturation bombing of government and military installations in Hanoi, and targets will be selected for their value to the NVA. NCA will not be vetting each and every target. I will, in conjunction with my advisers. No chicken shit bombing some symbolic bridge. NCA, and State have decided to draw a line in the sand. Even if it’s too late.”

“Jolly Green will be flying the coast and if needed I’ll be with them. If I have to, I’ll ride the penetrator, or jump to get one of you out of there. There is no power on this planet, apart from killing me, that will keep me away from my men.”

The Admiral spoke up, “I wish I had a reason to keep you, but you need to be moving on. The longer people hear you talk the more volunteers I’ll have demanding to work for you. Commander, how long would it take to load your team?”

“Two hours sir.”

“How long for just you Don?”

“30 minutes.”

“Well General? Do you want him now or later?”

“Admiral, the minute I pass up on an opportunity like that PLEASE relieve me of command.”

“Don you’ve two hours to get to her plane. Have your XO pass the word to get ready to go. Your team will leave sometime tomorrow or the next day. Carry everything you might need. Jack, I also want you to keep her safe. Please get ready, see me before you go.”

“Commander, can I give you a short shopping list? I’d really like to have them available.”

“Ma’am?”

“I want either a .308 or .50 caliber heavy barrel, Match Grade if available, with match grade ammunition. I want the best optics system available on short notice. By preference I’d like Leopold, but I’ll take what I can get. That one’s for me.”

“If you can acquire them, either Match Grade whatever’s or enough bull barrels for ten M-16s, along with match grade ammunition and optics so that each 6 man team has one. I’ll want one of you on each flight to find a nice hidey hole on the C-5 where you can reach out and touch someone. Admiral, any thoughts or suggestions?”

“Uh, no, I don’t think so. I prefer to do my killing from a distance. Don here has been up on charges several times. Always when the sun comes up, the charges are dropped (snicker, snicker, cough, laugh). I hear it’s an old family curse. But if anyone can get those guns for you, it will be Jack!”

“Yes sir!”

“Don, if you think you can swing it take the whole two hours, if you can’t, see if your XO can do it by his takeoff time.”

“Beth, I believe this is the start of something big.”

“Pop, any thoughts?”

“Short term no. You’ve requested inspectors, they’ll probably trickle in over the next two or three days. You’ve asked for shooters. I assume that will mean when we get there, the very first task is to find the roadblock and remove it.”

“Chip, you think it’s a someone?”

“Admiral, from the sketchy information we currently have in hand someone ordered that grounding. By itself it raises lots of questions. “Why was the whole fleet grounded?” “Why the deliberate way in which it came down?” “Who might stand to gain if that plane, or others were unable to fly?” Those are the things I will find out tomorrow.”

Pop continued; “And if it’s not a single roadblock, we’ll deal with them as we go.”

“Beth, I’m also sending a communication and cryptography team, so you’ll have your own staff. I don’t know what all else I’ll send, but your new staff will join you in Guam. Probably day after tomorrow, or maybe the next day. They will ride in on the C-5’s. I may be coming with them.”

Admiral Young and my Father went on and discussed staffing. Me? I was thinking while Cindy played footsie with me under the table. This job just kept getting bigger and bigger. I greatly appreciated Admiral Young, and his advice. Still, everything he said just made it clear there was more going on than getting a bunch of babies out of Saigon.

In another two hours we were back in the air, in route to Guam. Don had brought a gun case and a heavy box. I was looking forward to seeing what he had picked up for me.

“Time to go to bed.” I announced, then wondered “where is Cindy?” I went through the door to our bower. She’d beaten me to the shower, again. I guess I’ll just have to get used to this. I knocked on the door.

Cindy stuck her head out, “Close the door Hon, I intend to work my evil ways on you again!

Oh Goody, I’m going to get ravaged! I quickly took off my clothes, “Oh Help,” “Someone help me” I spoke low and plaintively.” The door opened and Cindy pulled me into the shower.

I really could get used to this. Like the previous time it was a quick soap up, then a quick loofah scrub, and rinse while the water was still hot… I patted down Cindy while she was drying me. We slipped into bed. It was so very nice. We’d not had sex on the plane, maybe that sounds weird to you; we were far more interested in just being together. And we couldn’t get any closer than skin on skin. It was very, very nice (that you could also hear everything in the main cabin; and vice versa also put a damper on any amorous activity).

I woke up at Midway Island as we landed. Cindy and I dressed and decided to look around. The pilots supervised the refueling. I think everyone got out to look at the water (it’s wet), and the memorial. I got a pleasant surprise when I looked at the buildings still standing. Almost all of them were in pretty good condition! Most just needed a good cleaning and a coat of paint. I could visualize what a group of SeaBees could do with a few days lead time.

I spoke to the Island’s Navy Commander before we left. He assured me several hundred children would be no trouble, they’ve a desalinization plant, and had emergency foodstuffs available. I made a note for stocking the island with Vietnamese foodstuffs. I suggested he might inventory and begin cleaning the buildings. He would receive orders within 24 hour hours. I would be flying in a SeaBees team to rebuild, refurbish, and set up the pads for a tent city. He could also count on a civil affairs and Military Police unit. The MP’s and other units would start arriving in the next week. I requested they start repairing and painting them now, starting with the one’s in best condition. I told him to keep me appraised. Even one or two buildings could mean a great deal. My guess is they were all getting a bit bored. The Naval Air station would start immediately. I smiled my thanks.

Some interminable time later the aircraft were fueled, the light was fading, and we needed to be moving.

People settled in, we had another eight hours air time. I suggested everyone try to get a bit more sleep. We’d be landing in the morning. I wanted at least two hours to sit down with everyone, and at least guess what would need to be done.

With two hours left before we made it to Guam our stewardess served Breakfast around the conference table in the front of the plane. I asked everyone to join me, and we ate as we finished waking. Gwyneth Peters, of the International Red Cross was hitching a ride with us. She was very very British. I welcomed her input and thought she would be a great asset, and invited her to sit in and contribute. She had visited the facility on Midway Island with me. She was enthusiastic, it was far enough away the refugees would be able to unwind, and start adapting to American Social normality. We talked about what the Mission was, and what it was not. We strategized what we would be doing when we arrived. Preliminary triage when the children landed and then housing an indeterminate number was going to be the biggest task to set up.

I told Gwyneth we would probably make her uncomfortable and made it clear I would be speaking about the military operations. She chose to stay. I emphasized the trust I would be exercising. If she revealed things that were about to be discussed it could cost lives, the largest group at risk would be the children. My briefing contained a congressional and presidential finding that the Church-Case Bill did not apply. Ideally, I wanted an ops team on the ground in Saigon, small enough to not be conspicuous, but big enough to get our people safely away. I absolutely insisted we had to carry at least a 6 man security team on each plane. I don’t want anyone thinking we were restarting military operations in Vietnam. Don began to understand what I wanted, he started calling it “the Alamo.” He suggested ways to be sure the ground team would have the equipment if we found ourselves at the Alamo. Don suggested the shooters work with the inspectors and real air crew. To work any observers must believe they belonged on the flights.

This was way too much for a mere Colonel, even with the advice of a Major General. I really might need the rank. Wait, did “I” really just think “that”?

“Don, I’d like you to coordinate security around our perimeter area. At the same time Fred, I’d like you, John Jay, Snoopy, Turk and Don if he’s free start looking around Guam. I need to know who the players are. You might try the “O” club, make friends, buy them beer or something. I’ll pay the bar tab. Please, nurse your beers along. I may need you sober at any time.”

I walked to the cockpit and clicked on our private channel, “Hey Snoopy, I hear you’re the brains of my Gyrenes?”

“Well, I think Turk has finally figured out how to tie his boots. What’s up?”

“Well, I’m throwing a kegger at the O Club, I’d like the Green Machine present and un-accounted for. I figure if you two, John and Jay, and Fred, and Don can’t figure out the layout of this Island from the O Club then I’m in deeper trouble than I already think I am.”

“Well Ma’am, I’ve never had a General Officer who properly knew where all the good intel on the base can be found. At the bottom of a glass of beer.”

“Yeah, yeah. Just keep this in mind. One beer is okay. Two is the limit, one more with lunch. You may also invite your brothers in Uncle Sam’s military service to share in my largesse. Just figure out where the bodies are buried soonest.”

“Aye, aye Ma’am”

Chapter Twelve: General’s, Admirals, and Plans

April 6, 1975

The first thing I noticed about Guam was the ungodly number of aircraft, everything from what looked like Cessna’s and F-4’s to C-5 Galaxy’s, Globe masters, and B-52 bombers. Some of those were mine.

Don went down the steps first, dark sun glasses and weapons clearly visible. I waited for his okay, then walked down the ramp while he did a walk around inspection of the plane and location. My Khakis were starched so stiff you could cut granite with the creases. I had Twin sets of Wings, pilot and master parachute jumper; 26 ribbons on my chest; the crest of the 129th Air Rescue Wing on my left shoulder; the badge of a Pararescue Jumper (with the hard won mission statement, “That Others May Live,”) on my right shirt pocket; my name followed by those precious initials M.D., and three stars on both sides of my shirt completed the bits of metal and cloth on my uniform shirt. Most of those I had (more or less) actually earned. To me, THAT was Mind Blowing, Totally. My Spiffies were exactly that. Colorful Bits of ribbon and metal that tell the story of the officer wearing them. USAF on the shirt. My brain trust followed me down the ramp, and I came to a lieutenant that must have had a busy day, he certainly looked like it. Reading his name I asked, “Lieutenant Jones, do you know where this group is to be housed?”

“No, and given the urgency of some General’s mission why are you even parked here? His unit is supposed to be based here. The General, and his staff will be here very soon, so please tell the pilot to move this plane.”

“Unm… Close your eyes Lieutenant. Do you know my name? Or rank? Tell me who I am.”

“Why would I know that? Your plane is in the wrong fucking place. This spot was reserved for some Hotshot General, not some bimbo!” One of my staff muttered “oh shit.” My Dad, unfortunately for Lieutenant Jones, overheard that last remark.

“Lieutenant! Come to attention in the presence of a superior officer.”

“Sorry sir, I was trying to find out where you were, but your secretary is too busy playing games!”

“Oh you are so deep in shit,” I muttered to the poor kid. He just looked confused.

“Did I ask your opinion about anything? I believe my last command to you was to come to attention in the presence of a superior officer. Are you blind, or deaf, or just plain stupid?”

Oh my, Daddy was really mad. The Lieutenant dropped his clipboard, came to attention, and said nothing.

“That’s better.” My dad finished walking down the stairs; he walked to a point directly in front of me and came to attention and saluted, “Sorry for interrupting Ma’am.”

The Lieutenant’s eyes looked like they were trying to bug out of his head.

“That’s alright general. Some puppies need to have their noses swatted every now and then. Lieutenant puppy, have you even looked at my rank? Have you noted my ribbons, I assure you each and every one of them (I crossed my fingers) was earned. Do you even know what the Silver Star looks like? Or, Lieutenant, were you staring at my boobs?”

Daddy kept a perfectly straight face, the rest of my staff looked on mildly amused. “Boy, if you have two brain cells to rub together you better answer her truthfully. I’ve seen her kill a man who underestimated her before. She shot him because he didn’t like having to wait for a helicopter; her first shot was through the heart, the second through his neck, severing his spine, then she just stood there and watched him fall. Y’all better know that WOMAN can kill you as easily as look at you.”

“No Ma’am, I mean yes Ma’am.”

“Slowly Lieutenant; now answer my questions one at a time.”

The Lieutenant looked down at the gun belt I wore. He began to turn an interesting shade of green. “Just one at a time if you please; I’ve already fucked one captain this morning, and that’s usually my limit for a day. Behind the kid my staff stood there mouths agape; except Cindy who smiled and blushed prettily at the same time.

“Ma’am, no I did not look at your name; nor your rank nor your ribbons; all I looked at were your boobs.”

“See, this isn’t so hard. Now, I want you to take General Pruett, Colonel Stevens, Major Hayes and I to see the area commander.”

“Yes Ma’am.”

“Then make it happen lieutenant.”

“Yes Ma’am!”

The Lieutenant picked up his clipboard and motioned us to follow him to a jeep.

Fred looked inordinately proud to be given his assignment. I set no limits to his research figuring he’d been in the Air Force long enough to get to the source of all relevant information, the O-Club.

I told him “Just bring me the receipt and the change Captain.”

“Don, I’d like you to do the same kind of thing for our HQ area and meet with me late this afternoon or this evening. I’d like your report on security, starting at this plane outwards. I want a secure HQ area, and plans on how to expand out from here. Ideally, I’d like the two C-5’s set up directly in front of the hanger. You know my thoughts I’ll be talking to the area commander, but I’d like a secure area, with room for up to 100 Officers and Enlisted, please include your team in that estimate.”

“Jim and Jay, can you two see to the servicing and replenishing the supplies? Figure having the needed crew rest, heck, you might as well go with Fred. Fred, wait! When my Marines get situated, and their Intruders tied down, have them join you. Please also talk with Fred, I need to know how long all of you are mine.”

Daddy sat in the front seat, which I thought apropos. Cindy, Ted, and I squeezed into the back. I had that damned briefcase, and hoped I wouldn’t need it. Mentally I tried to prepare myself for the worst, and have to browbeat cooperation. Hopefully if wouldn’t come to that.

The Base HQ 1030 hours

Lieutenant Puppy pulled up to a modern building. Inside he escorted us to the office of the Base Commandant, Admiral Levi Roberts. The secretary, waved us in. He obviously knew my Dad, “Chip, it IS you,” he exclaimed.” He walked around his desk and shaking Dad’s hand, “I see they finally decided to be smart and gave you another star.”

“Levi, it is great to see a friendly face, I’d like to introduce you to the head of this Mission, my daughter, Lieutenant General Linda Elizabeth Pruett.”

“It’s a genuine pleasure to meet you, your father and I go way back. You look so young, and already a medical doctor and a General? Chip, have you been pulling strings?”

“It’s a pleasure to meet any friend of my father, Admiral. Please my name is Beth; and while Daddy could have pulled strings, it’s more like I was drafted, kicking and screaming.”

He laughed at that. “Really? I hope you know how highly your father was thought of when he was on active duty.”

I replied, smiling, “I’ve always thought he was the greatest general in the Air Force, though I admit to being a bit prejudiced where he is concerned. Admiral, I’d like to introduce some of my staff. This it Dr. Ted Stevens, Medical Director from the VA hospital in San Diego, and my medical Chief of Staff. This is my very good friend, and head of nursing services Major Cindy Hayes.”

“General, please call me Levi.”

“Levi, is there any change of status with BabyLift, and are the C-5’s still grounded?” I asked the Admiral.

“No to the first, yes to the second. I guessed that might be the reason they recalled you Chip, and I’m sorry, but I had no idea you were coming Beth. I read General Pruett, and my brain saw your dad” the Admiral replied. “Are you carrying any written orders or instructions for me?”

“Admiral, I have envelopes for most of the flag officers in South East Asia. My orders are to get babies out of Viet Nam. My instructions give me carte blanch in how I execute those orders. This has become a major political issue, which is one of the reasons my Father is here; to help me navigate the chain of command. I will give you the written instructions I have for you. Please, don’t shoot the messenger. I was literally pulled out of my civilian job, bumped up in rank, and told to get babies out.”

“While I don’t know what your specific instructions are, please remember, it is a contingency plan.” With that I handed him his envelope. Dad decided to take some of the heat off me.

“Levi, Beth is telling you the truth. I had one of those damned envelopes too,” he said.

The Admiral sat back in his chair, and we all sat down. I kept my silence, allowing him the time to read.

“I’ve never seen anything like this,” he said. “You actually have a Presidential Appointment Letter promoting you to Lieutenant General?”

“Yes Admiral, it is NOT something I wanted to do. I want to work with the chain of command. My orders are non-discretionary. If I have to grab a boat and troll the beaches for babies then that’s what I’ll do. I hope like hell I don’t have to do that.”

“I would not want to be in your shoes. How did they choose you?”

“I am supposed to be the top rated EMT in the Western United States, and a Pararescue Jumper. I also have combat experience, my dad can tell you the details, he was there. I’m also a doctor of medicine, accredited by the State of California, and by the VA. I’ve specialized in emergency medicine, and pain management. I was told the number of people I’ve pulled out of every damned fool way they could get in trouble was a factor. Truth is, I didn’t count, but Ted here made it his business to know. Truly, I was drafted.”

“May I presume the ribbons are all real?”

“Yes sir, I’ve tried to keep a low profile. If anything, I’ve maybe two or three ribbons more than displayed. I also have several civilian citations that are approved by DOD, but, I’ve too damn many of the things as it is. It’s embarrassing. I guess in some sense I’m a prodigy. I won’t toot my own horn; my Father does it far too well for my own good.”

“That, young lady, demonstrates a great deal of wisdom.”

“Thank you sir. Who or what, from your point of view is the bottleneck in getting the flights back underway.”

“Damn, you do move fast, don’t you?” The Admiral replied, “As I understand, the current problem is aircraft. The C-5’s are all grounded, we’re scrambling to find cargo aircraft.”

“Can you tell me who is in local command of MAC?” I asked.

“Chip, you’re not going to like this, it’s Jim Lewis. He has not mellowed in the five years since you were last in the field.”

“That Son of a Bitch. What’s his current maladjustment? Baby Girl, you just inherited 20 years of trouble. Aww Damn.”

“He’s insisted on grounding the entire fleet of Galaxy’s. Preliminary evidence is explosive decompression. Probably brought about by someone, yes that someone, allowing a hanger queen to be put into service without insuring every part taken was replaced with a new identically specified part. Somehow, the rear cargo ramp was released, shredding the lower rear fuselage. Captain Jack Edwards just “happened” to be loitering close to the flight path of the Galaxy and says the ramp failed and flailed around beating the shit out of the Galaxy. Rather than focus on checking the point of failure on other aircraft Lewis grounded the whole fleet of C-5’s. At least those under local control.

“We just don’t have enough seating on the other Cargo birds out here. 138 people died. 85 of those were children. 30 something were Embassy people.”

“If the President said we’d be sending in 30 flights, works out to something like what, 200 people per plane?” I asked, shocked at the two flag officers candor.

“You need to understand the C-5 was never meant to be hauling babies and little kids. Artillery, yes, tanks, yeah. Roll-on roll-off” (I must have looked a question), “Ma’am that means it can be unloaded and loaded at the same time.”

“Admiral, how good is your encryption?” I asked.

“Good enough that no one around here is gonna break it. The North Vietnamese, the Chicoms, and the Russian “volunteers,” can’t touch it Ma’am.

“Admiral, is your Chief of Staff around?”

“Sure, I’ll have him come right in.”

We were soon joined by his Chief of Staff. He was followed by a female and a male naval ratings.

“Caleb, this is General Chip Pruett” Caleb looked a question at his boss, “Yes, THAT Chip Pruett. This is his daughter, Lieutenant General Linda Elizabeth Pruett. These are two of her officers, Lieutenant Colonel Ted Stevens, and Major Cynthia Hayes. Ladies, gentlemen, this is my Chief of Staff, Captain Caleb Miller.”

“Admiral please excuse me.” Looking at the stenographer I said, “Would you, at this time begin transcribing this session?”

“This is Lieutenant General Linda Elizabeth Pruett, United States Air Force, serial number AF73209831, convening this meeting of Task Force Angel. Present are, state your names please:

“Major General Rex Charles Pruett, AF51940329 Military Advisor, Task Force Babylift

“Admiral Levi Samuel Roberts, USN, Commanding Officer, Naval Forces, Guam

“Captain Caleb Gustav Miller, USN, Chief of Staff, Naval Forces, Guam

“Lieutenant Colonel Theodore Simon Stevens, United States Army, Medical Corp, Chief of Medical Staff, Task Group Babylift.

“Major Cynthia Margaret Hayes, United States Army, Chief of Nursing Services, Task Group Babylift.

“Pardon my saying so Ma’am, but aren’t you awfully young? And your name plate says you’re a Medical Doctor? And how in the hell did you qualify as a pararescue jumper??

“Captain? Yes I am young, yes I am a Medical Doctor, and yes, I am pararescue. Had you read my ribbons you would also know I hold a Silver Star, Joint Services Commendation with oak leaf, and the Legion of Merit. I’ve a purple heart from taking a bullet to save civilians, and my father. We’ve been over some of this ground with your boss, and you are not going to believe the rest of the story.” I smiled, I hoped reassuringly.

I was happy to have a minute or two to gather my thoughts.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, after consultation with CINCPAC I have chosen to implement Case Yellow.”

“Admiral, General, at this Time you are instructed to carry out your orders under Case Yellow.”

“You are further instructed to convene a panel of at least 3 flag officers for a special Article 32 hearing of General James Lewis. In spite of this, there is no presumption of guilt. General Lewis is not to be given any advance notice other than he is needed to appear here, in the most suitable and secure room in this building. You are also, at this time to secure that room. I would like a marine detachment to be present at all times between now until after the section 32 hearing.”

“Regarding Captain Edwards. Can you arrange a meeting with him, soonest, without rankling any feathers? While I’m at it, will you and Major General Pruett discuss an immediate panel of Flag officers that can be convened before 1000 tomorrow? Finally, can you get someone from signals in here? Preferably not someone from the Lewis’s command? Aww crap,” I asked with a sudden sinking feeling, “how many stars does General Lewis have.”

Bless him, the light bulb went on over Levi’s head, “Ma’am, he’s got two-stars, like your Father, or me, a Major General.”

“Are there any officer’s in Guam with three or four stars?”

Levi smiled, “Ma’am you are now the ranking officer.”

I gulped reflexively, then relaxed. “Well then Admiral, You are specifically instructed to carry out your orders contained in your briefing under Case Yellow. Under my preliminary instructions to my staff, I was going to worry about triage and housing the children that would be arriving. Suddenly, that task may be of less importance than the political one I’m going to have to navigate.”

“Has anyone any suggestions?”

No one said anything, I suppose shock was setting in.

“Colonel Stevens, can you and Major Hayes (would someone get her some oak leaves?), get together with Captain Miller. I need to know where we are going to be setting up a temporary nursery. Captain Miller, can you put out a call for volunteers from the Guamanian people and US Dependents. 1000 babies take a LOT of care. I hope some of the Red Cross, and a host of other children’s agencies can take on the ultimate care of the babies. I’ve already been in discussions with the International Red Cross and Crescent. One of their senior International Red Cross officials flew in on my plane.”

“I’ve various estimates of between 1500 and 2000 babies and small children. From what I’ve learned, the number maybe three or four times that. What I hope to do is this. I want the Civil Reserve Fleet shuttling between here and Tan Son Nhut. At the same time I’d like 5 of the planes shuttling between here and CONUS, with translocation camps located here and maybe on Midway. My reason is Midway is a secure location in a big and secure US pond. Finally, I want to shuttle from Midway to San Francisco and Miramar. My communiqué will spell this out for POTUS, the Pentagon, and MAC.

“Admiral, can you be sure the Lieutenant who drove us here is part of the security detachment for this building for the next two days, which is about the period of time I expect the security on these actions will hold together. Can you trust your staff with this? I don’t need someone prematurely blowing the whistle. Where’s Fred when I need him?” he would have been aghast at the thought. “Admiral, would “you please send for a cipher clerk? I need someone who can keep their mouths shut. While we wait, I’d like to ask some pointed questions.”

“First and foremost. Is there a flag officer in the Air Force here at Anderson Air Force Base you trust? If so, can you send for him, request a meeting for some time this afternoon? Next, from the Judge Advocate General’s (JAG) office. Can you request four senior officers in the JAG join us on or before 1500 that knows Military Law, and be willing to put his career on the line by acting as prosecutor in an Article 32 hearing, of a General Officer? I do not intend to put Major General Lewis on trial; certainly not here, and certainly NOT now. What I want is a legal means of relieving him of his command, and to send him packing. Certainly Admiral Kimmel at Pearl Harbor provides precedent. Whether he is culpable I can’t say, but it happened on his watch, on one of his aircraft. Based on my orders and the testimony of two men I trust, he is NOT the man who should be in command here, at this time.”

“General, you could speak to Air Force Major General Tim Tyner. He commands the Air Force assets, apart from MAC, here on Guam. I know your father knows and trusts him. For that matter, so do I.

“Then what I want to do is this. I want General Lewis out of the way. I will ask the President through the Secretary of Defense, that he sends an immediate Call for thirty 747, and or equivalent type aircraft from the Civil Reserve Air Fleet. I know it’s too much to ask for, but CINCPAC agrees I should ask for at least that many. Each of those planes can carry a minimum of 250 people AND the adults needed to keep the chaos to a minimum. 10 flights each, and we are, in theory done. This will not, I believe, be the case. I have reason to believe I will be tasked with helping evacuate American civilians, and probably other foreign nationals.”

Daddy and Admiral Roberts kept exchanging these conspiratorial smiles.

Captain Miller replied first. “Every time I’ve had any dealings with General Tyner, he has been cordial, and helpful. He is not a political hack, no offense ma’am.”

I smiled, “None taken. However, if you EVER believe I am falling into that category you are requested and required to tell me so, clear Captain?”

“Damn, uh, yes Ma’am. I never had a superior ask to be treated like that before.”

“Captain, I’m here to cut through the tape, not play favorites, not hold grudges, nor indulge in vendettas. I’ve at least three thousand babies to get out of a country that is falling apart.”

“Admiral?”

”I agree with Caleb, totally. Tim Tyner is a good man, and a good officer. I also believe him to detest Jim Lewis. You will be doing him a HUGE favor.”

“General, I know him quite well, on a personal and professional basis. He has a solid reputation, I would trust him with my life,” my Father told the group.

I looked over at my Father. I knew it, something’s going on, but he doesn’t want to tell me. He caught me looking and just smiled at my unspoken question.

“Okay, I think I see my next stop. Admiral, can you call General Tyner, introduce me, help facilitate a meeting ASAP (As Soon as Possible)?”

“Certainly General, before, after, or during Lunch?” he asked.

With a smile I replied, “Yes.”

“You really are a breath of fresh air General, regardless of anything else, the Pentagon set a fox in the henhouse this time!”

“Thanks, I think,” I said laughing. “Actually if you could arrange lunch with him, here; then I think we could cover a lot of ground together. Do you think that’s possible?”

“Oh yeah, I can’t wait to see his eyes when the two of you meet.”

“Then I will consider that done.”

“Ma’am, I turned to the stenographer, how soon can you transcribe this? Three copies if you can do it.”

“By 1600 hours General.”

“Thanks that would be great!”

To the cipher clerk I turned next. “Are you ready for your turn?” I smiled as he took up pad and paper.

To: SecDef, SecNav, SecAir, SecState, CINCPAC; cc: General Laurence Hams, POTUS.

1 - I have initiated Contingency “Case Yellow” in consultation with CINCPAC, Rear Admiral (Upper Half) Levi Roberts, and Major General Pruett. STOP. Preliminary information strongly suggests Major General, James Lewis, USAF, MACGUAM overreacted in the grounding of C-5, Aircraft. Galaxy C-5a Tail Number 68-0218 has been characterized as a “hanger queen” and should NEVER have been used in Operation Babylift. STOP

2 - As per resources Option Seven Request SOONEST thirty 747 type/capacity passenger aircraft. STOP.

3 - First Passenger Aircraft must arrive no later than April 8, 1975. STOP.

4 - First reports suggest Minimum number of babies/small children will exceed 4000 (Four Thousand) rather than the first estimates of 1500 (One Thousand Five Hundred). STOP.

5 — After Consulting with CINCPAC, Action Plan BLITZKRIEG. STOP. Repeat BLITZKRIEG.

6 — CINCPAC, my staff and I will: a) Coordinate Plans and Operations re: BLITZKRIEG.

7 — CINCPAC will provide staff for future operations. a) Housing of children and other transients from Vietnam. b) Help in establishing possible translocation camps: i) on Guam: for triage and Quarantine, ii) on Midway if feasible: Housing in prep for arriving CONUS, and iii) one to be determined; Probably in CONUS, options iv) Greater San Diego area, housing at Camp Pendleton; v) Presidio, San Francisco. STOP.

8 - It is my opinion and that of my staff, with concurrence of CINCPAC, and Major General Rex Pruett that minimally armed teams must accompany flights into Tan Son Nhut dressed as flight crew. STOP. Submitted by Linda Elizabeth Pruett, Lieutenant General, United States Air Force. STOP Expect More information by 1730 hours, local. STOP. END OF MSG.

“Okay folks, it’s why I called you here, any Changes or corrections you see?

Admiral Roberts spoke up. “Damn, you don’t mince words, do you?” Can we discuss “minimally armed teams?”

“I apologize, you’re right. I’ve talked it over with CINCPAC, and my staff on the flight in. With the assumed anarchy as the government in Saigon begins to break down, I am anticipating person or persons to try and force their way onto outgoing aircraft. All I want to know is we’ve enough fire power, at the scene, to cover those kids. I’d like action teams of 5 to 6 shooters who can convincingly look like Aircrew.”

Captain Miller spoke. “Are you crazy? You could get us right back in a shooting war.”

“Captain, Admiral Roberts is correct. I do cut through red tape. EVERYTHING I am doing was given to me by the President in consultations with SECSTATE and the Joint Chiefs of Staff. One of my options, SNAPDRAW calls for the use of a tactical nuclear device. Please don’t tell me I’m immoderate.

“Uh, you said to point this out. Do you think a political appointee should be making these decisions?”

“Caleb, you don’t know me or my father. He has always drilled me on the meaning of Honor. Honor First, Honor Last, Always Honor.”

“My appointment may have been political. In History some of our greatest soldiers were political, George Washington comes to mind, not that I would compare myself to our first president. My contingency plan speaks to your issue. I am empowered to order any attack on North Vietnam I deem prudent and advisable to deter action on their part as we conduct the evacuation of babies and children, and others. I’ll carpet bomb their concentrated military formations if I have too. That is BLITZKRIEG. That one carries a caveat. I have to coordinate with CINCPAC and General Tyner’s Operation and Plans. THAT is a primary reason I met CINCPAC face to face 16 hours ago. We now have three aircraft carriers closing in on the coast of Vietnam. Two more are 24 hours away. The First Marine Expeditionary Force, an “air mobile” brigade with its equipment are now traveling in company with the Midway; they will go to alert status. USS Midway is now at Yankee Station, The USS Hancock will be due southeast of Saigon sometime today, ditto the USS Enterprise. The B-52’s at Anderson Field, and Clarke Field in the Philippines will also go to alert status when that message gets to CINCPAC, and the Pentagon. Those are the preliminary actions under BLITZKRIEG. USS Midway, the USS Hancock, and the USS Enterprise will provide Combat Air Patrol cover from Tan Son Nhut to Guam and/or the Philippines. All have full stores of armaments. All aircraft will be carrying war shots, air-to-air, and air-to-ground. Despite the fact the Paris Peace Accords guarantee the Sovereignty of both North and South, the north is blatantly violating them.

“CINCPAC ordered the movement of a US Army Battalion’s NCO’s and Officer’s to Guam, traveling as civilians. At my discretion, they will travel in Mufti and activate a staked and ranged 105mm battery. This over strength, enhanced Battery consists of equipment already given to the South Vietnamese, and officially they will operate it. The ARVN lost this “misplaced” equipment tomorrow. As soon as the last child is out, any advisors will conclude their tour of lovely South Vietnam, and the artillery will be released totally to ARVN control. They are staked and ready for fire orders. We’re not here to go to war with Hanoi again, but they will by God understand this mission will be completed, regardless the cost. And that means a quick trip to Saigon for me to meet with the Ambassador. Unlike previous military officers, I won’t be going to him hat in hand. I will “advise” him as to what CINCPAC’s, and the government of the United States, and I intend to do.”

“I can NOT emphasize enough, the American public, as a whole, would willingly reduce North Vietnam to a parking lot, if that’s what it took to save those babies. This has become “a moral imperative,” Does that clarify things for you Captain?”

“Yes Ma’am it does. I see a woman unfit for command making jingoistic statements and posturing in a way that will involve our country in a shooting war. Again.”

Admiral Roberts turned to his aide. “Captain, please consider your words well. I like you, you’ve worked well with and for me. You may not like the options before you. Older and wiser heads have charged General Pruett with this task.”

“Older? No way in Hell! Besides she’s a woman! What the hell does she know of the blood and pain of war?”

Admiral Roberts started to defend me.

“Admiral, may I?” I interrupted. “Captain Miller, you don’t know me. You’ve yet to work with me. I’ll grant that I look far younger than my ID. You said, “She’s a woman!” as though that in and of itself made me incompetent. Yes I am a woman. You then ask what I know of blood and pain. When I’m not actively serving in the Air Force I work part time in the ER as a doctor. I am also frequently the first person on the scene the likes of which would probably make you puke. I am a certified EMT II, I’m a graduate of the Air Force’s Pararescue program. I’m told I’ve the most experience, and the most training of any emergency services personnel in the Western United States. Some of those incidents have involved combat. Of the rest, if you can think of a damn fool way to get hurt, I’ve probably seen it. Last year, I went down the wire into a scene from hell. There were fifteen people there; both men and women. There was also one male and one female who were already gruesomely dead.”

“Things went sideways. My helicopter had just cleared the area when one of the remaining men pulled a gun from somewhere and told me to call the ‘copter back or he would kill his hostage. I turned as if to pick up a radio and pulled my sidearm out of its shoulder holster. When I turned around, Dad fell to the ground as I shot the man in his chest. I’m told that shot blew his heart apart.”

“He still managed to fire back at me. My second shot was to his neck. I damned near took his head off with that shot. In the time between the first and last shot the man had fired at least twice.”

“My Father came up ready to kill the bastard with his bare hands. It wasn’t necessary. I didn’t know it, the gunshots merged together in my mind. The perp had hit me, well my suit anyway, I retired that flight suit. My mom laundered it, then carefully embroidered around the holes, front and back. Three inches separated those holes from my heart. She then put it in a picture frame. It hangs in my bedroom. Please don’t tell me I don’t know death and destruction.”

“Admiral Roberts started to read Captain Miller the riot act; I interrupted him, “please, let me finish.”

“Two other smugglers ran. One fired at me, hitting my thigh. I returned fire, my first shot killed that gunman. The other surrendered without further struggle. Everyday I’m reminded of what I’ve done. Every night, I’m reminded that I’m a killer. Unbeknownst to me, my father took the next round out of that man’s gun. I wear it around my neck.”
“That’s MY hogs tooth. Do you have one? I’m reminded day and night that I’m a killer. The department of the Air Force awarded me a silver star for heroism under fire. You might note the rest of the ribbons. I’ve earned each and every one of the damn things. Most of the time, my life was in danger. Have you ever watched a man that you’ve shot die? How about a three year old little girl, bleeding to death in your arms and there’s nothing you can do? Or the 9 month old infant in a van that caught fire. For whatever reason they had removed the bonnet covering the engine. It was a big fire, it burned everything. The car seat was melted but looked empty. No one could find the baby known to be in the car. The Forensics’ team found her, she was encased in the synthetic blankets and melted car seat. It took me 6 hours to extract the body, and I cried the whole time; I’ll never be a mother, an accident of my birth. I could go on with more of the same. You charge me with being a woman. Thank you, I’m glad you’ve noticed. Perhaps you don’t know it, though you’re certainly old enough to, a woman in childbirth goes through a hell of a lot of pain and blood with every birth, then there’s our “monthly visitor,” and the physical pain and bleeding that is part of it. Did you know that some women are almost debilitated for a couple of days each month, from the cramps, the bloating, and the bleeding? Yet most women hide the fact from their families and “soldier on.””

“I’ve also had the privilege of being the daughter of one of the country’s brightest military minds. I’ve read the books for every class in the entire syllabus of the War College. I’ve had the dry and dusty words brought to life by my father. I have the “book learning.” I’ve participated in every exercise the service can provide, and the everyday experience of making life and death decisions.

“If you cannot in good conscience help me, then I will remind you of your oath, and you are dismissed, without prejudice, and I will be certain nothing adverse goes in your record. That’s my promise to you. I can only assume, since the President, the Secretary of State, and the Secretary of Defense shanghaied me, they have confidence in me, and my decisions.”

“General, I didn’t know. Please, I’m struggling with a lot of preconceptions; preconceptions that are, at least with you, apparently wrong. Let me redeem myself.”

“Admiral, your call.”

“Caleb, I’ve always known you to be a wise and honest man. Please, don’t let me down. Stay or go, your choice. Personally, I find the General a breath of fresh air. She knows and understands her orders. We’ve provided additional information. She chose an option, based on our knowledge, and is implementing it. I’ve seen nothing but an honorable person doing her best in a horrible situation.”

“Admiral, General, I’m sorry. I really would appreciate staying, if you’ll let me.”

“Caleb, let me tell you one more thing about me. My word is my bond. If I err in anything it’s this: I trust almost everyone until I’m proven wrong. Then God help ‘em.”

“Folks, if there’s nothing else? Anything else? Okay, you have your orders. Captain, if you can get away, would you guide my staff? An experienced set of eyes will be valuable. You Ted, and Cindy can talk over the things I’ve tasked you with. Admiral, do you have a couple of offices and a workroom I can use. Me? I’ll be looking around, and thinking.” I pulled a windbreaker on, covering the stars.

Caleb laughed, “Uh, Ma’am? I don’t think that windbreaker’s going to do much good. At this point, anyone who sees you is just going to KNOW you’re in charge.”

“Thank you for that Caleb. Amongst ourselves, my name is Beth. Please use it. Before you leave could you request Captain Edwards meet me here as soon as convenient?”

I borrowed a jeep and a driver. I had the driver swing by my transport. The stewardess was the only one there, and she was pissed at being left behind. The Pilots, Fred, Gwyneth, and my two Marine Pilots had taken off, theoretically to take in the lay of the land. I pulled off my jacket, and sat down with her.

Her eyes bugged out and she blurted, “I thought you were a Colonel?”

I couldn’t help but laugh; “Well I was when we left Miramar, CINCPAC agreed with the Pentagon that I needed more rank. Things like that happen around me, a lot.” I’d not spent any time with her before. She was, she explained, regular Air Force, a First Lieutenant and engaged to be married. Oh, and she mentioned almost as an afterthought, her name was Joyce Sullivan. I asked if she had her Class “A” uniform with her. “Of course,” was the reply. “I never leave home without it.”

“Joyce, can you act like a secretary?” She smiled, “I worked my way through college as a secretary.” “Well then Joyce, if you’d care to, I have an opening on my staff for a confidential secretary. I don’t know how long I’ll be on active duty, but when you see Cindy, ask her for her Captain’s bars.”

“What?” she screeched. “You can do that?”

“Yes, I can. It’s done. Would you like to accompany me to a working lunch?” She nodded.

“Then Joyce, get changed. I want to get rid of this gun belt.”

I went and took off my gun belt. The .45 I holstered in my customized bra. I put the MP-5 and four magazines in my briefcase. I’d spent time on the flight out to create a couple of double stacks, two magazines taped side by side and one turned end for end. That meant I could fire the contents of one magazine, then turn it over for another full magazine. Not that I thought I would need it, but the first time I forgot it would be the first time I REALLY needed it, things just happen that way.

Fred had found the O club. He with my Marine airmen, and the pilots of my transport plane were enjoying a round or three of beer. The five of them compared stories about me, while inviting anyone within earshot to tell them all about Guam and the officer’s there. In their stories I was raised to almost mythic stature. Fred may not have taken notes, but between the five of them they skillfully interrogated each victim, noting a name here or there. On their own initiative, they prodded their informants about attitudes toward women. When they returned to my plane late that afternoon, they sat down and transcribed their notes to paper. It turned out to be an invaluable guide for me in the coming weeks.

Joyce and I returned to Admiral Robert’s office, about 1100 hours. Dad and Levi were reminiscing. I introduced Joyce as my confidential secretary. Dad didn’t bat an eye. Admiral Roberts was charming, if I didn’t know he was happily married I’d think he was on the make. Joyce ate it up with a spoon.

Captain Edwards arrived shortly after we did. He looked the worse for wear. I was in the office the Admiral had lent me, and Joyce closed the door behind her leaving the two of us alone. “I never did ask if you enjoyed “The Summer of ’42.””

He blinked a couple of times, “I didn’t believe it could really be you,” he said. “The last time I saw you I thought you were a very nice, young girl. That was only what, 3 years ago?”

“Yes Jack, four years ago I was. It’s not been the time, it’s been the bumps, lumps, and bruises from the road since then. I’ve seen too much blood, and pain; of grieving mothers, husbands, and wives; I’ve learned so much, and seen so much since then that it almost seems like three or four lifetimes ago. Now, for good or ill, I’ve been given command of Operation Baby Lift. My orders are to get those babies out of there.”

“Wow, and I thought the war had changed me.”

“How is your wife, and the babies?”

“Louise is, great. The girls are six, three, and the newest, Lizzy just turned one.” He pulled his wallet out and showed me their pictures.”

“Aww… they are so beautiful,” I cooed. “Hey, Lizzy?”

“Now I see the young girl I knew. Yes, we named her after the girl who was too shy to tell us her name. What did you say? “I’m a nobody?” You have certainly become somebody now.”

“I’m still in here, down deep inside. I’ve been pulled into the Air Force for this mission because I was considered to be the best trained, and most experienced Medical Doctor, who also had combat, and emergency management, and pararescue training. I’ve been pretty busy the last three or four years. I’d love to just visit, but time is short for me right now. I need to know what happened when the C-5 crashed.”

“I thought that might be the reason I was summoned here. I was watching for the Galaxy to take off. Officially I wasn’t supposed to be over Vietnam. No one had actually ordered us to stay away. It was just “understood.” I was curious, and needed the air time to keep my flight status. I heard the tower clear her and I’d just approached from 085 degrees true and had turned around behind the Galaxy as she took off. I was maybe half a mile away, and maybe that far behind. All of a sudden the ramp came sliding out the back. The Galaxy began to slew back and forth, and then the door latches failed. The ramp came off tearing the shit out of the C-5. The elevators, rudder, most of the ailerons, and the tail were torn away. Still, the pilot managed to turn around and line up on 25 Right. That damn ramp nearly hit me, I was that close. She must have hit a wind shear. Towards the end, she dropped from about 4000 feet finally flaring at about two hundred to two hundred fifty feet. She was about a mile short, hit a rice paddy and bounced back into the air. From there she went Charlie Fox. She broke into 4 parts when she hit the dike around the rice paddy. I’d called in a Mayday, and circled, dropping smoke to show her location. That pilot deserves some kind of award. The only way he could have navigated was to have balanced the engines and the spoilers to make that turn.”

“Have you been to the crash site?”

“Yeah, General Lewis,” he spit out the name, “officially reprimanded me for it. I landed and rolled to the end of the runway. I jumped down and ran to that damned dike. There were a lot of bodies, adult, children, and babies. I picked up one little girl who reminded me so much of Lizzy I started crying. Blond haired, blue eyed, she was the child of an American, had to be. She hurt, and was crying. I tried to comfort her, rocking back and forth, then she fell silent, and smiled at me. That’s when I saw the light go out of her eyes. I am so fucking angry with the way we’re running away. I thought “maybe” we might be able to do something for the little ones.”

I walked around my desk. This was no longer a time to question, but to return Honor for Honor; First, Last, and Always. I pulled him to me, and hugged him while he let forbidden tears fall. I had evidence. Nothing further was required for me. James Lewis was toast. To reprimand a fine officer under these circumstances was unconscionable. I know why the cosmetic companies make waterproof mascara, it’s so we can cry and pretend otherwise. It was just before noon when we came out of that hug. “Captain, are you in a billet that would be bad to leave?” I asked.

“Not really. There’s not much demand for a fighter pilot when there is no war.”

“Could I do a little career mending?” He looked at me, questioning. “Let me put it another way, would you mind working for me for the next few months. Oh, by the way, General Lewis will soon be leaving, as in tomorrow or the next day for CONUS. And yes, that will be my doing.”

“Where do I sign up?” he asked.

“You already have, welcome aboard Major.”

“Ma’am, did you read my rank wrong?”

“Nope, it’s effective as of right now. Congratulations.”

“Is this legal?”

“Yes it is Jack. I’ve a great deal of discretionary authority. You’ve joined my staff, where you will serve as chief investigative officer. Nail the bastard. Anyone who would allow children to be hurt because it would make him look bad doesn’t deserve to wear the uniform.” Honor Last. “Okay, I’m not sure if there’s enough to go around, but would you like to join me for lunch, along with General Tyner, and Major General Chip Pruett?”

“Yes Ma’am, I think I would like that very much.” I smiled. “There’s the girl I remember. Uh, I’m sure Louise will agree, hell she’d probably kill me if I didn’t ask, would you like to come over for dinner some night?”

“I would love to! So your family is on Guam?”

“Yes Ma’am they are,” Jack had a great smile; “and I know Lizzy would love the girl she’s named after.”

“At one year old?”

“Well actually she’s an 11 month old chatterbox, of course no one knows what she’s saying, but she sure doesn’t care.”

I gathered up Joyce, and with Jack I walked to Admiral Levi’s office. “Admiral, I’ve asked a couple of my staff to join us, if you don’t mind. You must be General Tyner,” I held out my hand, “Please call me Beth.”

“Young lady, you have a ferocious reputation for someone your age. I’m pleased to finally meet you.”

General Tyner reminded me of the grandfather everyone hopes for. “It is my pleasure. May I introduce my secretary? This is Captain Joyce Sullivan. General, I’m sorry if I seem to be poaching, but I’ve known Jack Edwards for several years. I would like to have him working for me, if it isn’t a breach of protocol?”

“I suspect that’s polite speech for I’m grabbing one of your men, don’t like it? tough.” He laughed.

“Sir, if you objected, I would honor that. As it is, I’ve the nucleus for a staff that is going to be far smaller than it should be.”

“Go ahead Beth, I’ve looked at his jacket and he’s one hell of an officer, I don’t care what Lewis says.”

“I owe you a huge favor General. Thank you very much.”

“Well Beth, if all your decisions are this palatable I doubt I’ll ever call in that favor; and please, amongst us, my name is Tim. Welcome aboard Major.”

Jack sat down, hard, “How did you know sir?”

“Let’s just say she has a habit of finding the best around her, and promoting them into the right spot.”

“Joyce is it? I’m very pleased to meet you.”

“Dad, I’m sure you remember Jack.”

“I do indeed. I owe you a great deal sir. I’d like to sit and talk to you if my daughter can spare you.”

“General, I’d love to. If I’d known who you were at the time, I’d know why a girl would be willing to baby sit for an unknown officer.” Always Honor.

“Admiral, I’m sorry to bring extras to the party, I seem to have a way of picking people up.”

“Beth, don’t worry. The chef can always make the portions smaller if nothing else.”

We sat at a rectangular table, the Admiral sat at one end, Dad at the other. I sat next to the Admiral, and across from General Tyner. Jack and Joyce sat opposite each other; Joyce sat next to me.

General Tyner asked if we could say grace. No one objected and secretly I was delighted. After his prayer, the salad course was served. “Beth, what are your basic orders? Your Dad and the Admiral refused to give me your brief. I understand you’re new to your rank. Why don’t you tell me about that also?”

“I suppose I should start with your last question first. Lady and gentlemen, please, what is said here stays here.” I looked around, and could see everyone would keep things to themselves.

“More than four and a half years ago…”

“Beth! Not that far back.” My Dad scolded.

“Yes Father, it’s important here and now. I was a runaway. I was clinically depressed. Suicide was a very real probability. I had paid for a room in a motel my Mom and Dad own. Over the course of the next week my Mom and my Dad and I came together and became a family. They gave me love. It’s the strongest thing in the world. I think Dad decided to adopt me the first time I made meat loaf for him (I said this as he was sticking a fork full of salad in his mouth).” I smiled, remembering that night. “A couple of months later, Daddy had pushed me out of an airplane fifteen or twenty times, while I finished at the police academy. The week after I graduated, Dad sent me off to Fort Benning and the advanced jump school. When that was finished I went to work for the Palo Alto police Department. I’d also joined the National Guard, commissioned as a second lieutenant based on my theoretical four years of college. Please note, under my grueling taskmaster I tested out of each and every one of the classes required for my degree; including all the nonsense or “fuzzy” classes. I am a master parachutist. I’ve jumped from over 30,000 feet, breathing oxygen, then deployed my canopy at under five hundred feet. I went back to work sore for a week after that one. That summer I spent working for the National Guard. Essentially that meant I went where my CO and my Dad directed. That first summer was Fort Sam Houston where I attended, and passed the advanced combat medic course. That fall, while working full time I took, and passed the new Advanced Emergency Medical Technician course, EMT I and II in California. Somewhere during that first year I managed to squeeze in Rescue Diver classes and certification. I also learned to fly, out of self-preservation. I can tell you why my Dad was never shot down. He bounces all over the sky. Mind you, I was working full time while doing that. That winter I did my first SERE course, the last of the unholy three for combat pararescue. Just before Christmas the second year my beast of a Father insisted I accompany him to bring back to Palo Alto a suspected Symbionese Liberation Army sympathizer. It turned out she wasn’t, but that was later. The real reason was to make me reconcile with my birth family. It was a Hallmark moment. Some of what I thought was wrong. Most of what they thought was wrong. It was important. My birth father was in the VA hospital in San Diego. I kept sneaking in to see him, pretending to be a doctor. That lasted for two weeks. The Chief of Medicine offered me a deal I wasn’t allowed to refuse. I’d continue my medical education, and he would see my birth father had the very nicest of accommodations, and participate in any clinical trial that had the slightest possibility of keeping him alive. I also discovered I loved my birth father. He’s a terminal cancer patient, we’ve managed to push the cancer back, and for a while we thought it was in remission. This time, I don’t think we’ll be able to do any more for him. His life expectancy is now measured in weeks; though he’s survived far longer than the doctors thought he would. Over two years longer, but there was a fundamental change a couple of months ago, and he’s on an inexorable slide to death.”

“Meanwhile, I’d made my first combat rescue. I know, women aren’t allowed in combat positions. I made that rescue going head first down the wire while my Huey hovered overhead. My Father, who also worked for the Palo Alto Police Department went with me, so I suppose you can’t really call it a solo. I did what needed to be done. That night I killed two men. The first had pulled a gun from somewhere and jammed it into my Dad’s ribs. I turned around to reach for a radio and grabbed my gun instead. I turned, quickly fired twice, and the man went down. Either of my shots would have killed him. Two of the other men ran off while my Dad and I were distracted. I took off, after the two who had decided to run. One fired at, and wounded me in the thigh. I returned fire, another smuggler dead. The newsies were riding with the Coast Guard who showed up an hour later. They wrote a piece, on the first page, above the fold about “The Angel of the Bay.” What a load of crap.”

“At the same time, I’d been serving in the guard, and had by the end of THAT week been promoted. I think Governor Brown of California has a pin fetish and I’m his favorite target. The rescues kept coming, and I kept getting medals. The SOB loves sending them to me, certified receipt, with a copy of the press release he gets to send out.”

“Then this blew up. I was ordered to duty, and my status changed from Reserves to Active duty. I was promoted and sent to San Diego. When I landed at Miramar, the governor was on the phone. My Chief of Medicine refused to go unless I outranked him. The governor (after talking to the Pentagon) told me I’d been promoted to Bird Colonel. I said goodbye to my birth Dad, and boarded my jet.”

“When I went through my contingency files I came across Case Yellow. Frankly it was not my top choice. I didn’t want or ask for this latest promotion; someone has to lead the band, and the Pentagon chose me. My thoughts range from they’re actually serious to “Oh Look, a Fall Guy.” I will NOT be a “fall guy.” I do not intend to fail.”

“General, you have a right to see who signed off on my promotion me.” I pulled out my Case Yellow binder, and opened it to my promotion orders while I looked for his envelope.

“Damn,” he said. I would later find out it was the most vulgar thing he ever said. “General, I’ve never seen that level of appointment before. I assume that envelope is for me?” I handed it across.

“Okay, finally someone in DC has their head on straight. Beth, I’m inclined to believe they’re sincere. If not, it won’t be because of you. You will have my absolute cooperation.”

“Thank you for that General. I promise it won’t be a bad decision. I understand the main roadblock right now is General Lewis and his grounding MAC’s aircraft.”

“Ma’am, that is my belief as well.”

“It is my intention to convene an article 32 board against him. First for having a “hanger queen” at all; second for sending that hanger queen on a life or death mission; third for trying to conceal the first and second charges. Fourth Conduct unbecoming. Jump in people, I NEED your input.”

“Beth, I would treat any daughter of mine the same way. By the way, did you know I’m your Godfather?”

I just looked down and sighed.” “Please tell me it isn’t so.” I looked around at Daddy who was sitting there looking smug. His smile just kept getting bigger.

I know I looked shocked, “no, I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Your string of luck just keeps on rolling aces Beth. You have some sisters who are going to Love you to death.”

"Your Dad, the admiral, and I have been close friends for more than twenty-five years. When your sister was to be born, I promised to take care of her, when she died the next day I took leave and was with your Mom and Dad for a few weeks. Any girl who has lived with him as his daughter has to be a winner.”

I looked at my Dad. “What can I say, he’s right Pumpkin.”

“But where did the M.D. come from?” Tim asked.

“I tested out on the state board of examiners requirements. Dr. Stevens and Dr. Byrnes sponsored me. I’m actually certified as an Advanced EMT II, a Combat Medic, an RN, a Nurse Practitioner, a Physician’s assistant (with physician’s certificates in trauma and pain relief), a Combat Pararescue Jumper, and a Medical Doctor. I helped teach emergency medicine at the VA.”

“Governor Moonbeam developed a “Bay Area Rescue Team,” to help coordinate emergency responses in the Bay Area. Each local Police and Fire Department were strongly urged to contribute resources, and somehow I was named as the only Pararescue Jumper in Northern California. So every time the Rescue Team went operational, I got called out to help. That’s another one I owe the governor.” I said through gritted teeth.

“Guys, did you notice, she really doesn’t like our governor in California,” my Dad said. Everyone laughed.

“So, the Medical Board can allow you to do that?” Tim asked.

“Yes, if you have the knowledge and skills they really don’t care where you learned it. They just want to be sure you know it. So, if this building collapsed I’d be able to pull you to safety, perform the necessary first aid, take you into surgery and repair what you’ve got broken, nurse you back to health. And send you my bill.”

That earned laughs around the table.

“Spoken like a true Doctor, Princess,” my Dad chuckled.

“I still need your input.”

Joyce raised a completely different sort of charge, “Can we get him for pinching or smacking my bottom every time he walks by.”

“Certainly, we’ll list it as Conduct Unbecoming.”

“Ma’am,” the Admiral started, “do you really intend to file charges?”

“Yes General, I do. I hope to give him an out. Not for him, but for expediency. I don’t have time to deal with that piece of human waste. I’ll take his letter of resignation. Either way he will NOT be able to secure another command.”

“Chip, it’s like looking at you twenty-five years ago if you’d been female.”

“And guys, watch out. She’s always armed, as am I; but who would suspect it? There’s not enough fat on her to have a baby; much less a pistol.”

“Dad! Stop.”

“Beth suppose I told you there were bad guys in the hall, what would you do?” Admiral Roberts asked.

I used a whisper that was more like a shout in that room. “Everybody get down, away from the door, as I grabbed my MP-5 and magazines, and pushed Joyce to the floor and then started working the room. Using hand signals only, Dad and I cleared the room, checked the windows, and then checked around the door with a mirror from my compact. He went through first to the right I went to the left. The next room led to a hallway. I checked the situation with the mirror. It was clear. One last step. He jerked the door open this time I went right and he went left. We worked like a well-oiled machine. I called out “Clear.” He affirmed my decision “Clear.” With that we returned to lunch. I cleared my mp5 and shoved the last bullet back into the magazine.

“Any questions Admiral?”

“I had no clue,” He looked admiringly at Dad and I. “Chip, where did you get that gun?”

“Levi, if you don’t know, you can’t tell.” Dad joked, showing him the holster he kept in the middle of his back, under his shirt. “I’ve another pistol with me, and a combat knife. I’m a good example of why you always check completely if an enemy might have a weapon. Beth is even worse. I didn’t know she had an MP5 with her, but I know she also carries an accurized Colt .45 1911 with her everywhere. She sleeps with it I think. Beth honey do the twirl, see if they can spot it.”

I did as I was asked. No one noticed anything.

“Admiral, I never, ever, joke or pretend when it comes to a possible threat. What you saw was exactly what I’d have done had there been an actual threat. I will never “suppose there were a threat.” If you use that word, I am trained and will respond to it. “Supposed” or not.”

“Honey, I know you hate to show your holdouts, but I think just this once it would be a good idea. These people need to know what you’re capable of.”

“All of them?”

“He nodded to me, this one time, yes, please.” I put the MP5 on the table. I also put the Ka-Bar and two grenades, one fragmentation, one smoke on the table. I popped two snap down buttons grabbing the .45 that hung from its custom holster hanging between and below my breasts; one extra magazine from under each arm. I smiled, as though that was all. “Come on Baby Girl, I know you’ve got more than that.” I sighed, Men. I pulled three throwing knifes from their holster between my shoulder blades. Reached down and pulled out my .380 Beretta from its ankle holster. Dad was looking impatient. I reached into my bra, and pulled out a .45 caliber Derringer. From a hip pocket I took out a wallet that contained a pair of handcuffs. From my other hip pocket I removed a flat pack of alternate .45 caliber rounds. I looked back at Dad hopefully. Sigh. I pulled an asp baton from its hiding place inside the waistband in the back of my pants. “I’m waiting,” Dad said. I reached further into my pants and brought out a can of Mace, and from my right ankle my small Med pack. Finally, I slid the small, thin bladed knife from its concealed location in my belt.

“Good Lord, expecting trouble?” Levi blurted.

“I’ll never be able to look at a woman the same way again!” General Tyner exclaimed.

My Dad smiled, the proud and indulgent Father. “She still hasn’t shown you her most deadly weapon. For that she’d have to strip. The most dangerous thing about her is her. Her training has made her more deadly than the weapons she carries: three pistols, one submachine gun, five extra magazines, two Grenades, five knives, one Baton, Mace, Handcuffs, Med Pack, I still don’t think she’s laid out everything, but that’s pretty normal for her. Me? I only carry two pistols anymore. I’ve a knife or two, but she’s the arsenal. She is deadly. Armed or unarmed she can kill when the situation calls for it. She has. I’m very proud of her; she’s become my heir in Martial Arts. She doesn’t like it when I say that. According to her my forms are a mishmash of Aikido, Shotokan, and alley rock. If she’s in the room, you will be as safe as anyone could make you. She would willingly lay down her life for any of you. Honor First!”

I replied, “Honor Last.” Dad joined in the refrain, “Always Honor.”

“Do you suppose I can get dressed now General Daddy sir?” I asked shaking my head. The rest of the room broke out in laughter. My Dad just smiled and nodded his head.

“Ma’am, you’ve said that before, may I ask where it comes from?”

I blushed, flushing from my breasts to my hairline. “I made it up.”

“Really?”

“Yes sir. When my Mom and Dad first adopted me, he spoke of honor. I looked into my own heart and I found I agreed wholeheartedly. From a baby’s first cry, to the last breath she takes, honor affects the way she deals with others, and others deal with her. My Dad and I speak of it often. I’m convinced there are only two constants in our universe, one is good, and the other is evil. Everything else is chaos. Children are taught the Golden Rule, “do on to others as you would have them do onto you.” The Bible teaches the same thing, using different words. Even the Ten Commandments embody how we deal with others, and with God. The life of Jesus is the very embodiment of honor. He didn’t have to do anything, if you are a believer you’ll understand He did what He did, died on the cross because it was His purpose, His honor, He came to redeem us from the sin, the honor we had lost in the Garden. I believe He is who He says He is. The resurrection is the very heart of honor. Whether you believe in God or not, honor is what makes us put on a uniform and stand between the wolf at the door and our children. So I came up with that mantra. Honor for Honor; Honor First, Honor last, Always Honor. Daddy and I use it sometimes to let the other know we understand, or how we feel. It’s why I’m here. I’m not here for glory, I’m not here because someone told me to. I’m here because my own honor demands it. I was told I was needed and I was the best. From that moment, it was settled. I will take on a task no twenty some year old girl should ever have been asked to do. I will complete it.”

Everything went back into its various places. I picked up the buttons, and snapped them back in place; then threaded the belt knife back into place. I Stretched. Everything settled back into place. I smiled, and put the grenades, the MP5, and the K-bar back into my briefcase. “Satisfied General Daddy Sir?” I asked. “Gentlemen, that’s’ one Lady’s secrets I ask you to keep. Hideouts aren’t hideouts if others know they exist. If you reveal them, there is a chance you could be signing your own death warrant. I can’t keep you alive if the bad guys know I’m carrying a weapon.” I looked around the room. They seemed deep in thought; from Dad’s knowing smile, to Levi and Tim’s thoughtful expression, to Joyce’s outright admiration; and Jack? He sat there in shock.

“Oh, and General Daddy Sir, I still had two more weapons!”

“Folks, I’m still the same incredible happy bubbly woman I was fifteen minutes ago. Weapons are just tools. Like a hammer or a screwdriver.” Still, however they might try, there would be no going back. They were suddenly and brutally aware I was a killer.

General Tyner spoke for most, “that was an incredible demonstration. If I had had any doubt about your combat competency before, you have just proven you are far more than capable.”

“Thank you Tim. I think that’s the politest way anyone has ever called me a very dangerous woman.”

“Ma’am, I certainly hope General Lewis has the two required brain cells needed to fear you. In light of this, I’m more inclined to grab General Clayton, a Marine, and Maybe Victor Harris, if he’s in port and get this done today, or first thing tomorrow.”

“There is nothing I would like more than to settle this today. However, I will not rush things to the point of giving General Lewis grounds to appeal any decisions. My preference would be to hold an article 32 hearing and if the facts are what I believe then he must be given the protection he is guaranteed under the law. Gentlemen, can we hold an Article 32 hearing tomorrow morning?” I looked from Dad, to Tim, to Levi. “Okay, I think we’re in agreement. Dad, do you know either of the gentlemen mentioned?”

“No I don’t Princess.”

“Tim, can you two get those gentlemen here by 1000 hours tomorrow?”

“I’ll get the jarhead, if you’ll grab Admiral Harris.” Levi told Tim. “Beth, you need to get together with the JAG people and get the Article 32 indictment written. As soon as I get off the phone I’ll help with that. Tim, can you order Jim Lewis to be here?”

“Yeah, but ideally it should come from Beth. I wouldn’t use your name, just initials. Amongst other things, he’s a Neanderthal when it comes to women.”

“Thank you for that information.” Turning to General Tyner I said. “I’d like to meet with your highest ranking Air Police officer by 1600 hours. I hope we can draw up at least a preliminary bill of indictment, err… Article 32 hearing I mean. I want a warrant for his arrest as soon as possible. My reasons include giving his counsel time to initially address the issues. I want him relieved of command as soon as possible. The Air Police will take him into custody this afternoon. Tim, do you think your XO could take over MACGUAM?”

“I’m sure he can, but how will it appear if someone notes General Lewis was replaced by her Godfather’s executive officer? I would suggest having his XO take care of the day to day operations and having him report directly to you, or to me. In either case I would strongly suggest you bump this up to CINCPAC, and SecDef.”

The stewards removed the salad plates and served the entrée. I had never had lamb before. I wasn’t sure if I liked it or not. Mint Jelly? Whose idea was it to smear jelly on a piece of meat? Still, I ate enough veggies and risotto and a few mouthfuls of lamb to make it appear I was full. The conversation began to lighten. Joyce wanted to know if she could learn some self-defense. I smiled, “Yes you can, certainly. But let me tell you what it took for me to get to where I’m at. For the first month I had to run at least 2 miles every day. Then another 3 hours additional exercise as I learned to move and relearned to breathe. Then I spent a year of at LEAST an hour every day working on the moves, counters, and take downs. If I were not at home, then I’d practice using katas — formalized moves that are almost like a dance. Then you’ll be close to where I was two years ago. If you just want to learn enough to protect yourself and your future kids, then take self-defense classes through your local YMCA. You’ll be pretty good after a few months.”

“Would you teach me?” I looked around, I saw Dad smile just for me, as he mouthed the words, “Honor Always.”

“I’d love to Joyce. I guess you’ll need to stay with me for longer than BabyLift.”

“Thank you Ma’am, thank you very much.”

“Joyce, call me Beth, I’m not old enough to be “ma’am” I told her. “Be ready to run in the morning. I’ll only ask you to run as far as you can with the group.

“Dad, can you run trail and help Joyce like you did me until she can keep up?” Dad just smiled, then nodded his head.

“Dad will keep you going. One thing you must do. Keep running. When I first started, if I slowed Dad down, he’d just keep us running further. When you can do that, then we’ll teach you to dance with the Katas. At the same time we’ll start you on other things. Of necessity, if you want me, you also take my Dad. I haven’t, yet, written everything down. I’m lucky to get some of the katas down.”

By the time desert was served I was feeling guilty of not doing something RIGHT NOW. I knew I was building relationships that would be necessary if I were to succeed. The planning, the schmoozing, and the rest of it was something I’d always hated. Still, if I had to, these gentlemen were worthy schmoozees.

I was distracted from my thoughts by the heaven sent scent of chocolate. Blame it on a bad influence, blame it on the hormones, blame it on whatever you want to, but since I had been living as a woman I have craved chocolate. Milk chocolate, dark chocolate, chocolate milk, chocolate Easter Bunnies, Chocolate whatevers; if it had chocolate in it I’d eat it.

The Admiral, who had set up this lunch, smiled indulgently when he saw my reaction. I know my nostrils flared, and my attention was immediately drawn to the dish before me. The chefs had served a HUGE very warm chocolate brownie, sitting in chocolate syrup. On top of the brownie was a big scoop of vanilla ice cream (a nice way to clear the palate), the ice cream was covered in hot fudge, topped with gobs of whipped cream, peanut pieces and a cherry on top of it all. I inhaled; oh my, this was going to be good!

It was. I’d tried to eat it slowly, but I couldn’t help myself. I was scrapping the bottom of the bowl, licking the spoon to get the last morsel.

“Beth, I noticed you didn’t eat much of the lamb, and so you had to make up for it with dessert. I can clearly see you were famished, but much too ladylike to say so. How would it be if I had the chef bring out another serving?”

He must have ordered it while I was inhaling my first serving. The steward took my dish and spoon away, I watched as he placed it in the dish tray, being co-mingled with lesser dishes. “Uhm, what did you say Levi?”

He smiled indulgently, “well I can see we’ve found Beth’s Achilles Heel.”

Tim replied as the steward brought me another dish, this one with extra syrup. He also brought a second serving to Joyce. “My wife was the same way. Do all women feel that way about chocolate?”

I looked at Joyce while she was looking at me. “Men.” She said. That pretty much summed it up, I thought.

With supreme self-control I deigned to answer him. “Tim, some research has shown that chocolate reacts with a woman’s hormones. These reactions also help in creating additional endorphins which react with the pleasure systems of the brain. We can’t help it.”

Joyce looked at me with an exaltation that comes with putting a man into his proper place. She smiled.

I smiled. This was good. No, it wasn’t good it was GREAT. I was blissing out, all other matters forgotten in the moment of a chocolate high.

Somewhere in the distance I heard my Dad laugh, saying: “She’s just like her mother and won’t be good for anything for at least twenty minutes. Why don’t you two contact Admiral Harris, General Clayton, and the MP’s while she’s recovering. That chocolate must have been the pure quill. It normally doesn’t hit her quite this hard.

I was content with my chocolate. If Dad had tried to repeat the earlier exercise I’m not sure I’d have had the presence of mind to respond correctly. It was good. Joyce and I traded glances. She had (and I’m sure I did too) a goofy grin on her face. Still, every good thing comes to an end. My chocolate was all gone. For a moment I thought of asking for some more, but I managed, at the last second, to maintain my control. Joyce and I excused ourselves and went in search of the ladies room. Fortunately it had two toilets and we were able to relieve ourselves at the same time, and spent a few moments at the mirror.

“I think I ate too much,” she said, a grin still on her face.

“Is that possible with chocolate?”

“I don’t know, but I think I’d like to try and find out.”

“That was so good. I didn’t much care for the lamb, but that chocolate? That was heavenly.”

“Thank you Beth. I know you didn’t need a “confidential secretary.” I realized, even as you were doing it, you just care enough about everyone that you try and make things good for everyone.”

“Don’t worry about it. I will truly need a larger staff. You’re getting in at the ground floor, so to speak. If you can keep my secrets, and I can take care that you are happy, then we both win.” I smiled.

“I don’t know if I should do this,” Joyce said, and pulled me into a hug.

“Hugs are always appropriate; at least among friends. Are we going to be friends?” I asked, searching her face.

“I’d like that Beth.”

“I’m glad. I find I really have very few female friends, except Cindy, and you know about her?”

“I’ll never tell. I know the two of you are very much in love. I don’t understand it. I like men. But I can see the light in your eyes when you see her, and in her eyes when you enter the room. I see men I respect, from your Father, to the Marine fighter pilots, which accompany you. Each believes you are a very competent, and very honorable woman. If I’ve heard it right, you’re also a fighter pilot?” I just blushed, “Wow. So, I’ll respect both of you, pray for understanding, and serve you the very best I can. This I promise.”

“Wow, yourself!! Thank you Joyce; let’s rejoin the hormonally challenged and see if we can’t save some babies.” We left the ladies room chatting, laughing, and sharing intimacies as only women do, and returned to the planning session.

Chapter Thirteen: Plans

“I see you’re back from the land of Nod, Princess.”

“Levi, my complements to your chef that was wonderful. Thank you all for allowing us our chocolate high. I just worry one of these days the Treasury Department is going to try and regulate chocolate. I would ask for that dish for my best Friend Major Cindy Hayes. She would LOVE it”

“We’ve been able to contact Admiral Harris, and General Clayton. They will be here in the morning. JAG will be here soon, 1330 hours. MP’s will be here no later than 1445. Ma’am, we’re on task, and on target time wise,” Tim informed me.

“If there are no objections, I’d like to turn to the bigger issue, getting babies out of Saigon.”

“Captain Miller has been in contact with various orphan care agencies both in and out of country. The people are waiting on planes.”

“How many passenger aircraft are currently within reach, excepting those anticipated by Case Yellow.”

“Not many; maybe a dozen with a passenger capacity greater than 50. Those are all Navy assets.” Admiral Roberts informed me.

“All we have on the Air Force side are the C-130 and C-141 aircraft flying supplies into Vietnam. But there’s no real seats or seatbelts adequate for young children.

“With the C-5’s grounded I’ve got nothing that would be suitable for young children.”

“If things break the way I hope, how soon could the C-5’s be ready for flight?” I asked.

“Twelve to twenty-four hours, more or less. The point of failure appears to be the rear ramp.”

“Admiral? Can I say something here?” Jack Edwards asked. When the Admiral nodded Jack continued.
“Based on my observations, the entire ramp, AND rear door assembly must be inspected. That’s a lot of inspecting to do. Can General Pruett call in additional inspectors?”

“Good question, CINCPAC has promised to get me every qualified mechanic within the next three days. Does anyone knows where to find qualified mechanics that he might miss?”

“Sasebo, Japan, and the 374th Tactical Airlift Wing at Clark Air Force Base, the Philippines, have full maintenance teams. I also think we have mechanics in Adelaide, Australia. They’re conducting tests with an eye on purchasing Galaxy’s.”

“Okay,” I said, “Who do I have to speak to? CINCPAC was going to get all he could find. I still want everyone they can spare.”

“I better call, you’re a bit disconcerting if you aren’t introduced,” Tim said.

I laughed, “Now there’s an understatement. I think Joyce and I will retire to “my” office, and get prepared.”

“Uh, Beth, before you meet with General Lewis you may want to put a skirt on.”

“Ah poop! Jack you got a jeep or something? I need to get back to my plane.”

Jack drove, Joyce and I held on for dear life. He was as wild driving as my Dad was in the air. Ten minutes to the plane, I grabbed my Blues planning to move my ribbons. “Here, let me do that,” Joyce said, “you get into nylons and your skirt. Where’s your blouse?” I pointed to the closet, she grabbed an iron and smoothed the wrinkles out. I pulled on nylons, pulled my heels out of their little protective bags and slipped into them. I pulled out my shoulder holster from my garment bag and slipped it on, my .45 went into it.

Meanwhile Joyce had moved my ribbons, and badges, then helped me into my jacket. I slipped a garter holster up to my thighs and moved my .380 into it. The trouble with a lightweight silk blouse is it’s practically transparent; kind of hard to hide weapons in. “Oh damn. I’ve got to change my bra. This one shows through. Off with the jacket, the shoulder holster, the blouse and the bra. On with a clean, plain taupe bra, blouse, shoulder holster and Jacket. The K-Bar I slipped into my purse, along with mace, and a .380 magazine. I slipped the extra .45 magazines into my briefcase. I grabbed one of my shoe bags and wrapped the knife and magazines in it. I stuffed an extra pair of pantyhose in the other shoe bag to keep them from getting snagged. Looking in the mirror, I decided I looked somber enough for a General, though I did spritz a little cologne behind my ears.

“Here, I’ll carry that General,” Joyce said half joking, leading me off the plane. We were back before 1330 hours. We had just settled into “my” office when two men from the Judge Advocate General’s office arrived.

Joyce knocked at my door. “Ma’am, JAG is here.”

I stood as a First Lieutenant and a Captain walked into my office.

“Gentlemen, I’m Lieutenant General Beth Pruett. Thank you for coming so promptly.”

The two men stood there stunned.

“Gentlemen, is there a problem?”

“What are you doing wearing those stars,” the lieutenant asked.

From the doorway my Father yelled, “Attention on Deck.” The two snapped to attention.

“Thank you General, but that wasn’t quite necessary. I’m sure I’m the first female lieutenant general they’ve ever heard of, and I’m certain I’m the first lieutenant general they’ve ever seen. The fact that I may bring them both up on charges of conduct unbecoming notwithstanding, I’m sure they were about to salute and report as ordered. Isn’t that right Captain?

“Yes Ma’am.”

“Now for the mouthy Lieutenant; you misspoke, didn’t you Lieutenant?”

“No I did Not, I don’t know who you are but you have no place here,”

“Lieutenant, shut up,” the Captain said.”

“But,”

“That’s enough Lieutenant.”

“But who is this Bitch?” and he reached out to grab me.

I threw him, hard, over the desk and into the wall. When he finally looked up it was into the barrel of my .45 pistol. “The next time you touch me I’ll kill you. You have two, and only two choices. The first is to apologize and await my displeasure. The second is I have you up on all the charges the Captain here can come up with. You will then be tried, convicted, and sent to Leavenworth prison for many years. I’m not a vindictive person. I would take no joy in sending you to the stockade. You are in a world of trouble. Now, stand up, slowly, facing the wall. Interlace your fingers and place them behind your head.”

I heard more people entering the room. I reached into my purse, took out my handcuffs and cuffed him. I stood back and ordered him to turn around. It was dramatic. He saw not only My Father, but also General Tyner, and Admiral Roberts. Jack Edwards was trying to crowd through the door. “Lieutenant, you will notice three other flag officers in my office. Please count their stars, out loud.”

He muttered something under his breath. “Now! Lieutenant!”

“One, Two Ma’am, all three have two stars.”

“Very good; now count my stars. How many do you see?”

“Three Ma’am.”

“You’re getting better. Now, in the Air Force what do you call a three star General?”

“Ma’am, a Lieutenant General.”

“You are doing better, maybe the bump on the head helped you think more clearly; who is the ranking officer in this office? And can you read any of my ribbons?”

“Ma’am, you are. I read a Silver Star, The Order of California with V device and oak leaf cluster, California Medal of Merit with 3 stars and 23 others ranging from good conduct, to Legion of Merit?”

“Wow, I didn’t really expect you to know the California ribbons. Where are you from?”

“Los Angeles, Ma’am.”

“Well, that would explain it. Governor Brown issued five of those, two were directly from the President of the United States. Others were… well that’s not important now.”

“Have you anything else to say to me, since you have Nine stars watching.”

“Ma’am, I’ve made a terrible mistake. I apologize for my language. Please Ma’am, don’t send me to the brig. My record is spotless. I just saw a woman abusing the uniform Ma’am. I didn’t even know there were female General Officers.”

“Okay Lieutenant. I’m going to remove the handcuffs. Till I say otherwise face the wall. Do you understand?”

“Yes Ma’am, stand still, face the wall.”

I removed the handcuffs. The Captain looked like he was going to lay an egg, he wanted to talk so bad.

“Okay Captain, what would you like to say?”

“Ma’am, he’s only been here for a month. He’s a 90 day wonder. If you could see your way clear to not pressing charges I’m sure he’ll make a fine officer one day.”

I looked from My Dad, to the Admiral and the General. “Gentlemen, do you have anything to add?”

It was humorous. They looked from one to another and slipped back out of the room. Jack looked a question, I shook my head and he too left the office. “Joyce, can you come here for a moment?”

“General?” she asked.

“Do you suppose you could rustle up some water and coffee service? And if I’m lucky some tea?”

“Certainly General.”

“Close the door please Joyce.”

“Well Lieutenant. It seems you’ve been abandoned to your Captain and me.”

“Ma’am?”

“Sit down Lieutenant. You too Captain.

“Let’s try this again. First, what are your names?”

“Ma’am, My name is Captain Luis Camacho. This is Lieutenant Al Reynolds. How may we help you?”

Gentlemen, before we go any further, I wish to dispel any lingering doubt that may be lurking in the backs of your minds. These are the orders commissioning me Lieutenant General. You are particularly invited to note the names approving this action.

I let the two of them take a moment and read. I stepped into the outer office as Joyce was returning. “Cover for me Joyce, I need to straighten these damn pantyhose. I think they twisted half way round my body when I threw that Lieutenant. I then proceeded to lift my skirt and made things a bit more comfortable. “Oh, that is so much better. I’ve noticed it seems to happen anytime I have to pull my gun out and move at the same time.”

“And that happens to you enough to notice? Uh, maybe I ought to reconsider working for you.” She spoiled it by giggling. Still, she had a point.

“Gentlemen, may I offer coffee or water? Joyce will be taking notes.”

Both of the JAG officers took coffee, black and sweet.

“Now, for the record; Having examined my warrant, and after having time to discuss it do either of you still have any reservations about who I am, and what my rank is?” Lieutenant, please state your name, rank, serial number, then your answer.”

“My name is Albert H. Reynolds, first Lieutenant, United States Air Force, serial number 64-3987987. I have absolutely no doubt the officer before me is Lieutenant General Linda Elizabeth Pruett.”

“My name is Luis Camacho, Captain, United States Air Force, serial number 54-9983775. I have complete faith the officer before me is Lieutenant-General Linda Elizabeth Pruett.”

“Have either of you any questions regarding my warrant? Geez, I hope that’s the proper term, I don’t know anything about law, well this type of law anyway.”

“General, may I speak freely?”

“Certainly Captain, what’s on your mind?”

“Warrant is an okay term, though kind of old fashioned. What I have to say is I’ve Never, not even once seen promotion papers with that many signatures. You’ve got the President, the Speaker of the House, the President Pro Tempore of the Senate, the Secretary of State, the chairman of the military appropriations committee, the chairman of the Senate select intelligence committee, the Secretary of Defense, and the Secretary of the Air Force. I’ve never even seen one signed by the President. What did you do? Knock over Fort Knox? Discover J. Edgar Hoover’s secret files? I am so far passed impressed I may never wash my right hand again.”

“Captain, when this is all over, when I’ve removed as many babies from Vietnam as I’m able to, then look me up. I promise I don’t bite. But right now, I’ve work for the two of you. I wish it were otherwise, but I’m in one hell of a hurry.”

“Gentlemen, Admiral Roberts and General Tyner have assured me of your discretion. This is so far above discretion you’ll get a nosebleed just for listening. I need to convene an Article 32 hearing in less than twenty-four hours.”

“Oh shit,” the Lieutenant whispered.

“Oh shit, indeed Lieutenant. You see, the officer is a Major-General. Major-General James Lewis.”

The Captain’s eyes lit up. “Really, and you’ve been on base for how long?”

I looked at my watch “5 or 6 hours, why?”

“I’ve had CID going through paperwork for five weeks. I’m interested in your points.”

“As I see it, I’ve grounds for an Article 32 Hearing. The points to be proven are:”

“Specification One: General James Lewis did knowingly approve of and participate in collusion. Having an operational aircraft routinely stripped for parts. A Hanger Queen. Specifics Galaxy C-5A Tail Number 68-0218. Records to subpoena: Maintenance Logs, Parts orders. Bank accounts of General Lewis, and John Does to be named later.”

“Specification Two: General James Lewis knowingly Sent Galaxy 68-0218 on a critical Mission knowing non-standard parts were routinely used to allow specified aircraft to maintain an appearance of airworthiness. These actions lead directly to the deaths of 138 persons. Of that number, 35 were Defense Attaché Office personnel. Another 75+ were orphan children entrusted to the care of the United States Air Force. Testimony Major Jack Edwards, USAF.”

“Specification Three: General James Lewis then knowingly tried to cover up specifications one and two.”

“Specification Four: General James Lewis is charged with Conduct Unbecoming an Officer, see Specifications one through three.”

“Specification Five: General James Lewis treated women under his command with Conduct Unbecoming an Officer, testimony Captain Joyce Sullivan, USAF.”

“Specification Six: General James Lewis profiteered from Specifications One through Three. Subpoena accounts of General James Lewis, and John Does to be named later.”

“Those gentlemen are the high points. And I’m willing to plea bargain with him. I won’t prosecute in return for his immediate resignation.”

Captain Camacho began a stream of consciousness rant. “Son of a bitch. I bust my friggin’ ass for six months investigating that bastard, then you come on base and in six hours you’ve managed to summarize all of my thoughts and evidence which you haven’t even seen and boil it down to an Article 32 Hearing with six specifications from memory. Ma’am, I’m convinced. If you say the sun won’t shine tomorrow I’ll be heading down to this bookie I know and placing my life savings on your statement. What are you? Some kind of Witch? Do you have a built in lie-detector? I can’t believe this. Thank you. Please, please don’t plead him out on the whole thing. Offer to take specification two off the list. That’s the only one that carries the Death Penalty.

Captain Camacho took a breath. “Please don’t limit it to all 138 known dead. Some are in hospital. If they die we can reopen section two. We can hang him with the rest. This may lead to the biggest overseas military malfeasance case in US history. General, I don’t know how you got here, but thank God you did. You deserve every star you’re wearing, maybe even another one. Al, we’ve got one hell of a lot of work putting the forms together. Can we borrow Captain Sullivan?” The first thing you are going to want is an arrest warrant. We’ll get that done first. Do you have a panel of officers selected? Of course you do, could you please let me know who will be on the panel.”

“Slow down a bit Captain, I’m having a hard time following you.”

“Yes Ma’am. I’ll have an arrest warrant by 1530 hours. From this point, we need to be scrupulously legal and above board. I need to call the JAG office and request two criminal defense advocates. I’d like one of them go with the team to arrest General Lewis, then accompany the General to the Brig. We open the process up to them from the beginning. I’ll be calling CID and adding their investigators name to the potential witness list. Ma’am, have you thought of having a couple of bright, intelligent lawyers on your staff? If you haven’t, please, think about it. If you have, I’d like the job, and so would Al, despite first impressions.”

“Captain, let’s get this done first, then we can talk about it.”

“Ma’am, that’s fair. Thank you for this. Thank you very much.”

“Joyce, can you work with these two? Or is there something more on my Calendar that I’ve forgotten.”

“Let me check for you General, but first I’d like to get these two a big table with a couple of typewriters.”

“Joyce, what would I do without you?”

I sat down and closed my eyes for a minute. Things were moving fast, even for me.

I must have dosed off. The next thing I remember is Joyce knocking on my Door. “General, your 1445 appointment is here. For your information JAG has sent over two defense advocates, who have helped with the specifications and arrest warrant. Captain Camacho assures me he will have the arrest warrant ready within the next fifteen minutes. Major Hayes, Captain Miller, and Lieutenant Colonel Stevens are working with your legal team.”

“Thank you Captain.”

“Gentlemen, report.”

“Yes ma’am. My name is Edgar Brown, Captain, United States Air Force. With me are Sergeant Major Tanaka, and Sergeant Shepherd. The rest of the team is outside, along with Lieutenant Victor Knott. I’ve a reinforced platoon. All combat veterans.”

“Never let it be said you didn’t bring enough dancers to the party, a reinforced platoon? Never mind. Stand at ease gentlemen, have a chair. This is somewhat convoluted and complicated.”

“An Article 32 hearing will take place tomorrow at 1000 hours. The officer involved is Major General James Lewis. He does not yet know of the allegations against him. In (I looked at my watch) 10 minutes you will be given a Warrant for His arrest. You will also be carrying the front page of his Article 32 charges. At no time is General Lewis to be alone prior to the Article 32 hearing; if he goes to the head, someone is to go with him. Consider him a potential suicide. He may not use his phone. He must not have the opportunity to destroy any of his files or notes. His office and his quarters, and work areas are to be sealed and 2 of your men are to suitably armed and stand post at each location, at all times. He is permitted paper, pen, and one or two books.”

“The only persons allowed into his quarters, office, and other work areas will carry specific instructions from me. I’ll provide you an exemplar. The following people are specifically approved by me, in advance: Lieutenant Albert Reynolds, Captain Luis Camacho, Major Jack Edwards, Major General Tim Tyner, Major General Rex Pruett, Lieutenant General Elizabeth Pruett, Rear Admiral Levi Roberts, General Lewis’ Defense advocates, and CID agents in the company of one of the officers mentioned, or CID agents carrying hand written permission from me or any two of the flag officers mentioned.”

“Major General James Lewis is to appear at the Article 32 hearing in this building at or before 1000 hours tomorrow. He may return to his quarters to change clothes. At that time see that he has his shaving kit and a Class “A” uniform, and His used clothing is to be bagged as potential evidence. In deference to his rank, allow him to keep the uniform he is in. His advocates will be seeing him tonight.

“Captain, do you understand these orders?”

“Yes Ma’am”

“Do you have any questions Captain?”

“What are we to do if he refuses to cooperate?”

“You may use any necessary force, up to and including the use of pain compliance techniques and or carrying him. If he in any way does not comply with orders, then he is to be handcuffed and brought to the hearing using any passive or pain compliance techniques needed to force him to appear. Please, if pain compliance is necessary, I want you, and at least one of his advocates to supervise its use.”

Captain Luis Camacho chose that moment to knock on my door. “Enter,” I said in a loud voice. Luis handed over the warrant, and cover page of the Article 32 hearing documents.

“Sit down for a moment Captain. Captain Brown, this is Luis Camacho who heads my legal staff.” I could see Luis visibly swell with pride. “Captain Camacho, this is Captain Edgar Brown from the airbase Military Police. Captain Brown, please examine the warrant carefully, and ask any questions you might have. Would it distract you if I speak with Captain Camacho while you read? No? Thank you.”

“Luis, how is the paperwork coming?”

“Ma’am, we’re doing great. Major Hayes, Colonel Stevens, and Captain Miller are a huge help. The two JAG advocates have helped enormously.”

“Excellent, when you go back to your workspace could you ask Major Hayes to step into my office? I would also like for you, and at least one of the General Lewis’ advocates to accompany the MPs as they serve the warrant.

“Yes Ma’am.”

“Well Captain Brown, is everything in order?”

“All I need now is your signature Ma’am.”

I hastily signed the Warrant as “Lieutenant-General L.E. Pruett.”

Captain Brown do you have the ability to videotape General Lewis and his behavior?”

“Yes Ma’am.”

“Please do so.”

“Captain Camacho, do you have the same capability?”

“Yes Ma’am, may I ask why?”

“Because if this son of… Well, excuse me. If General Lewis is guilty of the specifications of this Article 32 hearing, I do NOT want him to somehow wiggle free.”

“Gentlemen you have your orders, carry on.” The two saluted and left my office.

A few minutes later Cindy walked into the room. She locked the door. “Awww… is my poor baby having a bad day?” Cindy was in the room!

I walked over and took her into my arms and we kissed. “Sigh, no, just very busy juggling all the pieces. So, how’s our hospital?”

“You don’t want to know. Ted and I will be kicking asses starting tomorrow. We may need you before everything gets done right. The tents are up, the equipment is in place, it’s just the people are so lethargic. They set everything up then just sort of went to sleep. The feeling is there’s nothing to do.”

“There will be, possibly as soon as day after tomorrow. IF things start to happen tomorrow, would you fly with me into Saigon? I have to meet with the Ambassador, and if there’s time, some of the orphanage people. I’ll grab an F-4 and you can ride in the Wizzo seat!”

“I’ve been meaning to ask, what’s a Wizzo?”

I smiled, “He’s the WSO or Weapons Systems Officer. Wizzo is sort of a contraction. What about housing for the kids? How many can we hold at any one time?”

“That’s one of the problems. We only have accommodations for 500, maybe 600 kids.”

“So we’ll need to have Sea Bees or Air Force construction crews working on accommodations, and build more, or move them out in a day or two.”

“I am so screwed. What am I going to do with a thousand babies/toddlers? Oh no, how many diapers does that take? 5 a day? Minimum. More like 8 a day. Okay, first find the diapers, second, laundry detergent, third big washing machines. “Moan…” Bleach. Baby food! Formula. Volunteers. What, like one volunteer per every four or five babies? What’s that? Something like one hundred twenty five for a four hour shift; two hundred fifty for eight hours; 750 I guess we’ll need per day. “Honey, sweetie, would you like to handle staffing the nursery?” I asked in the sweetest way I could.

“No way young lady. You made your bed and now you have to sleep in it. If you had just said no you wouldn’t have this problem. So, unwed mother or not. YOU DON’T even know his name! And of course you’re going to want to bring them all home. No, they’re YOUR babies, deal with it!”

By this time we’re laughing so hard I hadn’t kept track of the time. It was 1645 and Major General Lewis was in custody. Captain Brown reported to me. “Ma’am. Major General James Lewis has been combative the entire time he has been in our custody. He is now being processed into the Brig.”

“Very good Captain Brown. In the morning, please escort the General to the waiting room next to where we will hold the Article 32 hearing. Post 2 guards. He is not to leave that waiting room except to use the toilet. One guard is to stay with him at all times. He is NOT allowed to close the toilet stall, I do not want him to have the opportunity to take his own life, no matter how remote it may be. We’ll begin promptly at 1000.”

“Ma’am, I’d be failing in my duties if I did not report to you General Lewis’ words to my Marines. Looking at his notes he reported, He called one man, who transferred to the Air Force after World War II, Sergeant Major George Tanaka, a man who was a member of the 242nd Regimental Combat Team; he will retire in October after 32 years of serving a government who’d imprisoned his entire family. He will retire as the Regimental Sergeant Major. General Lewis called the Sergeant Major a “Jap Bastard,” and that “if he had been in charge we would have burned the entire country to ash.” Corporal Juan Rodriguez traces his family to landed nobility. They were the original Spanish settlers of California. General Lewis, called him “a wetback,” and told him to “go back to your own third world shit hole.” He called several of my detail, including me, ‘niggers.’”

“Captain Brown, I may ask to include statements from the individuals involved as another, separate charge of Conduct Unbecoming. I hate to do this, but please, ask, not order, ask if the individuals would make a written statement, then a video statement. For my part, I apologize to you and your team for a General Officer of the United States Air Force. I hope to remedy Major General James Lewis’ influence on this base shortly. Please see that I have the original of the video tape you made. Please make a copy for your files. Captain, thank you for performing an odious assignment with dignity and grace.”

“Ma’am, thank you, from me and the rest of my team. So often, assholes get promoted just because they’ve been around a long time. I’m fortunate to know that is not the case on your part. I’ve seen how women are often treated in the military. I’m grateful you’ve made it as far as you have; it gives me hope things really are changing. Please feel free to call me anytime you have a ‘problem child.’ Captain Brown came to attention and saluted, I returned his salute.

“Honor Captain Brown. That’s why you and I wear the uniform, we are keeping faith with those who have gone before. Dismissed.” Always Honor. I thought for a second, “Captain Brown?”

“Yes Ma’am?”

“I don’t know if it’s acceptable practice, so excuse me and let me know if I offend. I’d consider it a personal favor if I could buy you and your men a coke, coffee, beer, or something else to drink?”

“Ma’am, I don’t rightly know. No one’s made the offer before. Just knowing you want to treat my men appropriately is thanks enough.”

“Well Captain, how about you and your off-duty men, out of uniform go to the O club about 1730, and I’ll just happen to wander by. The club is going to need to set up a tab for me and visitors. I’ll need to test that out before bringing CINCPAC by and having difficulties. You could help me test it out. I’ll be happy to buy a cup of coffee, or a soda, or even a beer, just to test it out you understand. If there’s any trouble with bringing enlisted men to the club, just tell them I sent you.”

“Ma’am, if you’re really sure you need the help, I’m certain my men would consider it a huge honor to help you.”

“Captain, Let’s make it a date, and Captain, please be sure your team knows they are welcome to talk to me, or ask questions.”

General Tyner came by as the Captain was leaving. “Why don’t you go change Beth, back into Khakis, or civies. The Admiral has invited us to drinks and dinner. And his chef is a wonderful cook. I understand it’s a “Meet Beth and her staff, but watch out she’s VERY good at poaching.” Any sting in what he said went away at his smile.

“Why thank you kind sir.” I did a very sketchy curtsey. Hey, do you know if any State Department people are here on Guam? If so, Please ask them to join us.”

“Oh my gosh!” we don’t even have places to stay yet.”

“Beth, How about I take care of that? I can have some men erect some wood and canvas “Houses” for your staff, in your hanger and office. I can assure you, they will be private spaces and have real beds. If there’s some area rugs in the PX we’ll put them down. If for no other reason I’d do it for men of mine killed by that jackass. Maybe some lamps. How many people are we talking about?

“My staff has grown a lot since I left San Diego. I’ve two pilots of my aircraft, and two pilots of my escort, I’ve Cindy, Myself, and Joyce, and My father, Ted Byrnes, Terry, Jack Edwards, but don’t worry about my legal Team. Captain Camacho and his partner Al, they have quarters already, and come to think of it so does Jack Edwards. Ooops, uh, who do I ask, to have Captain Camacho and Lieutenant Al Harris transferred to my command.”

“Ma’am, since you are the highest ranking officer now on Guam I don’t think you have to “ask who.”

Admiral Roberts told me he’d see to it for me.

“My preliminary number is 20 for right now, please, instruct transient housing to tell my people there’s no room in the Inn. Oh my Gosh, I forgot I’ve some staff, communication, intelligence, and others on the way. They’ll probably be here tomorrow or the next day. The C5’s they are flying in on have bunking, showers, a kitchen, several offices, a conference room, and an operating room/clinic. There’s an office in the hanger itself. Perhaps we could get a few desks put in there? I’m sure my people are going to need a place to rest, breathe and write reports. Any amenities would be great. My people think I’m going to push them HARD. Little do they know.”

“Another thing. Toilets and showers. Does the hanger have any? If not we’ll need some port-a-potties.”

Tim who cut in again, “Beth, slow down. Let me and my staff take care of it. I’ve housed one or two officers in my time,” he said smiling. We’ll scale your apartments up or down as needed. “You need a time to unwind. If anyone had said a young girl will clear the C-5’s for the Baby Lift flight’s less than 24 hours after she arrived on Guam, I’d be seeing about a strait jacket for them. Yet, you’re doing it. You are a VERY formidable and remarkable woman Beth Pruett. But, for tonight, let go and watch what others can do.”

“I wonder Tim, can we dress like regular people for the evening? I’m about ready to strangle the next person who reacts more to the uniform, or my boobs, than to me.”

Dad and Tim laughed at that one. “No, really, there’s this Lieutenant at Moffett who couldn’t look me in the face. Unfortunately, before I could come up with something Dad jumps in. I think that Lieutenant may still be there, facing the wall in the alert response room. I’d like to not do THAT tonight. I saw children at play when I had a brief tour of things. Tim, are your girls here? I’d like to meet my sisters.”

“Beth, let me go talk to the Admiral. Maybe we can do it at my house instead, it’s more spacious than most houses on Guam.” Tim was back in almost no time. “That’s fine, this way we can have our families.

Jack drove us back to my plane. I asked for a short stop at the Officer’s club. My Military Police were all there, and as I promised, I paid for a round of drinks for them. I had a Tab and I put it on my tab (yes, my tongue is firmly in my cheek). Captain Brown’s men were trying to act in a manner suitable to an “officer’s” club. I played a round of pool with the Captain, and dangled the “how do you play this game?” gambit in front of him. We “bet” a quarter on the game. I let him win the first game. I put down two quarters to match the “bet” he’d left on the table. I got to break the second game and ran the table. Captain Brown knew he’d been had, but knew it was all in fun. As soon as I could, I broke away.

As we climbed up the stairs of my transport plane, the sound of heavy snoring filled the air. I slipped into the cockpit, and located the emergency klaxon. I motioned Cindy and Joyce, to cover their ears then turned it on. All 5 of my "flight" staff tried to get into the cockpit at the same time. That didn't work. Finally John pushed his way in and turned "that damned klaxon" off.

I smiled as big as I could and asked if they wanted to attend my promotion party. There were certain to be lots of young women there. Some of the Chammoros were being invited, and possibly even some women from the State Department, and you KNOW how they are. I pulled my jacket off, and there were those bright, shiny polished silver stars.

John turned to Jay, "Pay up bunkie," and held his hand out. Jay passed over $10.00. John turned to me, "I bet him you'd keep at least one star today. After that thing with the Marines, and then meeting them, I'm a believer. Is there anything you cannot do?"

I just shrugged my shoulders

Cindy, Joyce, and I went to the "girls only" section almost giggling all the way aft. I wanted something a bit less constricting then a uniform. Cindy and Joyce agreed, and Cindy, Joyce, and I changed into something more relaxing. It’s hard being a General, all the time, and I haven’t even been one until a day and a half ago. For me, I chose a light blue colored cotton dress with an empire waist that I wore with a white slip. I liked it because it was so billowy and the cloth had lots of little eyelet holes in the material the dress was made from. I slipped into sandals and was nearly ready to go.

Cindy and Joyce were astounded. “Where are all your guns and such?”

"Oh, here and there. As a lesson to the student, I'm not going to tell you! However, if you ever hear me yell "catch" you had better be ready, 'cause you've got a weapon coming to you. I'll try to save that for a last resort. But do keep it in mind. Joyce, do you have a swim suit along? I'm told General Tyner has a swimming pool. And I almost can't stand the wait. I've three sisters I've never even met!! My announcement rolled off Cindy like water off a duck.

Okay, it’s no surprise to Cindy, when...

Cindy interrupted. "Oh no. This is the first I've heard of it". She began to loosen her fingers up. Turning to Joyce she asked a simple question of her; "Tickle her or bash her with pillows?” I quickly agreed to tell them what little I knew."

"Joyce, the following is a classification higher than Top Secret, it's "Eyes Only, Women! If I tell you some things my beautiful spouse or I would just as soon nobody else knew. You will hold the very lives of four General Officers, Cindy and I, and others in your hands.”

"I took my turn in front of the mirror, and applied a light blue eye shadow, added a little more blush, a brighter lipstick brushed my hair out of the bun I normally wore it in, and turned back into the teenage girl that Cindy loved so much. As a final touch, I daubed Channel #7 (it has more floral notes than #5, and Cindy likes it more). Then I made way for Joyce. "I just hope that doesn't looked rushed.”

"Honey bunch, she's to be our confidential secretary. I suppose she's technically mine, but I don't mind sharing.

"Cindy?" I left the question open ended.

"Of course, I've known her longer than you have by at least 15 minutes?"

"Joyce, we have to trust someone. We choose to trust you. Please, don't allow this outside of people who already know.

"First of all, my age.” Joyce interrupted, “Yeah, I know you are not the 25 in your records! My guess is 32 maybe 35.”

"Uhmm..., I looked at Cindy at the mirror. “It’s the other way actually. My sister would have been 23, she was born August 11, 1952. She died the next day. To combat the very real possibility of the discovery, my "Official" age is based on my real birthday, August 22. But, the age was adjusted by moving the year back to 1950. So, in reality I just turned 21, last August 22, and officially I'll turn 26 this year. Cindy and I are just a month apart in age."

"Wow." Joyce kept shaking her head.

"How are you doing? I've two more pieces that you should know," I turned to Cindy, “Okay Honey? These are "our secrets.”

“Go ahead love.”

“Cindy asked me to marry me the day we left. She did it the right way, she asked my Birth Father if she could marry me. My birth father said Yes! My real Father, Major General Rex Pruett had already expressed his approval.”

Now to the grand finale. "When are two outwardly Lesbian women are not Lesbian, and when can a woman be drafted?"

Joyce puzzled over it then answered "When one of them is not Lesbian or a woman?"

"Very good Joyce, almost right.”

"During my gestation, the doctor managing Mom’s pregnancy didn't want her to gain any more than 20 pounds. To do that her doctor prescribed a freaking ton of amphetamines, DES, and crap. My birth defect is I was born male, according to the doctors. Nothing was ever said about it to me. Everything was going to be "Normal." “Male, normal.”

"It wasn't, not even close."

"From before 2nd grade I was one of the designated victims. The charge? I walked like a girl. Yes, I knew I was a girl. I’ve known since I was three or four years old. I remember one day in particular. We had “dancing” lessons. Square Dancing this particular day. I remember because I desperately wanted to not be teased about walking funny, or being queer. I could NOT figure out how to walk like a boy. I couldn’t do it. The harder I tried the worse it became. I remember crying my eyes out as I ran up the hill to the principal’s office.”

“That’s terrible.”

“Growing up I was the designated victim any time someone wanted to beat someone up. Eventually my parents stepped in and I was enrolled in Aikido, and judo. It stopped the bully's because the first blow by a bully was his last. The last two years of High School got worse. There is always a group. Sometimes they're called the "Cool," or the "in group" they used different rules, I didn't know these rules, but they were there. Please, I don't see a conspiracy, but every school has a group who consider themselves superior to everyone else. I never was in that group. Science Fair, Chess Club, Home Economics, all the Math Classes, even my senior year as a police cadet, I did things. I joined clubs. I did everything to be someone."

"My father ruled his "Kingdom" with his fists. I kept going down in depression. Suicide moved from being a remote possibility to a real probability. I read everything I could about how to kill yourself. I found a psychiatrist, but he kept trying to get me to confess to being queer, so he could cure me. There wasn’t a mean bone in his body, it’s just that was all he knew.” Sigh. “Finally, he came across an article. Stanford was the place for me to go to get help. Instead of being homosexual my shrink diagnosed me as being Gender Dysphoric; I was transgendered; I was ecstatic, there was hope for me."

"Every time I saw my p-shrink, my Dad went ballistic if he found out. I was afraid of him. If he found out I was transgendered, He'd kill me."

“So, I ran away. Such a small statement. “I ran away from home.” I never ran away from God. I never doubted His wisdom or plan for my life, I just wanted him to show me how. I just wanted to be the girl I was. God, in his infinite mercy lead me to my parents, General "Chip" Pruett, and my Mom, Noreen. Between then, and especially during the first Christmas together, we became a family. He is the only man I call Daddy. My training and education went into high gear. At the same time Momma showed me love and helped me become the woman I have always been. You heard my story from there earlier.”

“Then one day, Daddy insisted I become reacquainted with my biological parents. Actually that’s not right, he tricked me into going to San Diego to pick up a prisoner with him. On the way down he told what was going to really happen. Beast. I slammed the brakes while doing somewhere over 125 miles per hour. Not considered a good way to drive.”

"You know most of the rest; enough to start an investigation if you told somebody untrustworthy. Enough to ruin My Dad, both my Mom’s and completely destroy Cindy and me (Cindy gave me a touch so I’d know she would NEVER leave me). Now about Cindy, we are both completely, desperately, madly in love."

"And that Joyce brings us to you. Did you get the captain’s rank insignia from Cindy?"

"Yes I did. Thank you for the promotion, and the truth. You’re a tremendous example for other girls. I always wished I’d, well, be as special as you two are. I’ll never betray your trust. But you knew that, didn’t you? I smiled and nodded my head.

“Well ladies, I suppose we've stalled long enough,” I said with a giggle, hoping to lighten the conversation.

“You know, I think Fred will do well. I'll "let" him carry the briefcase, like the president has with all the plans he’d need at hand.”

“heeheehee I wonder if they're still on the plane?" I snuck a quick look.

"Ladies, let us make our entrance." We walked to the top of the stairs. I motioned Joyce, then Cindy to go on down the stairs, then I followed. At the bottom were My Dad, Jack, John and Jay, all Air Force Pilots, and 2 Marine Pilots, Captain Ted Schultz, and Captain Joe Foster. Lieutenant Colonel Ted Stevens, and Major Terry Williams M.D. Their casual wear was a riotous collection of colors and patterns. Ted was sporting Bermuda shorts and a hang ten tee shirt. The three of us faced them and curtsied then basically danced our way on to the bus.

Chapter Fourteen: The Welcoming Line and the Slumber Party

April 6. 1975

Tim's house was the "Government House" from when Spain controlled Guam. Everyone from the Article 32 hearing was there. The remaining people were a mixture of wives, kids, municipal officials, all the flag officers on Guam and their wives. Jack had brought Louise, who flatly refused to believe him till she talked to me. When she walked up I was facing the opposite way. Jack cleared his throat, and when I turned around, there was Louise. I pulled her into an embrace, and thanked her for all she’d done for me. Somehow, she didn’t see it that way. I promised we could talk it over, and she invited me to dinner. When I told her Jack had already invited me, she looked at him and smiled.

Someone had instituted very simple "Hi, My name is John Doe...” name tags for the guests.

I wish mine was that simple. No, The first initial on each word of "The Angel of the Bay” was "illuminated." This was followed by “Lieutenant-General Linda Elizabeth Pruett,” again with the first letter illuminated. These two lines were encircled by a humongous halo.

Under that were "Apprentice Angels." These were a wallet size photo with the name of the girl underneath. Twenty-eight girls who were apparently my "apprentices." At the very bottom, a baby with her eyes closed,

My Angel

Amelia Constance Pruett August 22, 1952

My Dad came over to "help me." In words not much louder than a whisper, “Honor First," I whispered back "Honor Last," together we finished "Always Honor." He then issued an ultimatum; a very rare event. "You will NOT Disappoint those girls."

"I know Daddy, but how do they know all this "Angel of the Bay" nonsense?

“You will, by now, have figured out Tim and Mary Tyner are our oldest and dearest friends. Your mom, innocently enough, shared all about the "Angel of the Bay" and how happy her baby (that's you by the way) made her. So, anytime there was a piece about you in the newspaper, your mom sent an extra copy of the article on to her best friends. This includes your grandmother, uncles and aunts, your biological parents, Tim and his family, and Doug and Sharon Trask. Please, don't be upset with your mom. You know she's never had newspaper clippings, except for Amy’s death notice, to share. Anything you can, will, or might do for these girls will make your mother very happy. If they ask for an autograph, please give them one. If they want a picture, make a list, and we'll see about sending them autographed pictures.

“Baby Girl, I'm asking you for this, I believe if Amy were here she'd feel the same way.”

I pulled him close for a hug, more importantly so his tears didn't show.

"I love you Daddy, I'd already figured most of that out. No one's ever died of being embarrassed. So my "meet and greet" may turn into a slumber party before the nights over. Hmmm... Are we going to have a "receiving line"?”

"So I understand.” He did NOT like the smile on my face.

“Okay, you, Cindy, Joyce, Ted, and Fred, and I will line up After Tim and Levi and his wife.

These Illuminated letters. With this humongous Halo. Sigh… Tim came up to me a few minutes later.

"Your Dad, said to tell you: you are to "to play nice.” The girls spent all day working on your name tag, and "If you let those girls down” he'll be wearing a sandwich board with your name, and all the medals you already have been awarded. What you don’t know is your Father has been creative in awarding you more medals.”

"Personally, I think, of the two, having a fan club is just a little less embarrassing than having each ribbon explained in detail by your adoring father."

"Noblesse oblige," I answered. Honor first, Honor last, always Honor.

"Yes, Beth, you've come a very, very long way from who you were. So wear the name tag and all the love that goes with it."

"Tim, I had no choice before you even said anything. Honor is so very important to me, I will wear the name tag, and smile at any adult who sees it. I'm not so very much older than these girls. I couldn't crush their feelings, it would violate my own sense of honor. Now, would you help me pin it on? Oh, and as my Godfather please tell Daddy he has to tell EVERYONE who asks, just how I earned my silver star, and especially WHO I was "saving."” Tim wandered around the place with a wicked smile.

So I and some of my staff lined up for introductions. If it were one of my "Apprentices" I made sure the staff photographer got a good photo, black and white, and color.

When the reception line was over, and we'd sat down to dinner, I was sure to sit to Tim's right. “Tim what would I have to do to give each of my "apprentices." a short flight, I'd prefer a Phantom, but I'll settle for whatever isn't tied down.

“Just schedule it, I've a few pilots who would be grateful to take the kids, I’m sure the Navy and the Marines would probably be happy to contribute to the festivities. I think that’s a wonderful opportunity.”

“Then I leave that in your hands, oh Chief of Staff. You might want to move on it sooner rather than later.”

“Tomorrow, please could you order a Phantom for me? Load everything on it, air to air and air-ground. I want all the 20mm the techs can stuff into it. Please, can you also order an ordnance package for my two Marine escorts? I want them obviously loaded for bear, both air to air, and air to ground. I also want 2 AC130 gunships to make circles around Saigon then continuous race tracks circling Saigon at all times. I’d like to have in-flight refueling. I'm on a mission; getting kids out of the country. The AC's are to orbit Saigon. I need to meet with the Ambassador. I'll be absolutely pleased if I get one Galaxy in and out tomorrow, ecstatic if I make it to two, any more than that and I’ll probably be doing cartwheels in front of your office building.”

“I have a note for the ambassador. He’s been told to do what I say. I intend to let him know my intentions, and the options available to me. I will, if pushed, tell him I will fill the fucking sky with every usable gun at my disposal. The North Vietnamese have never faced the full force of the United States Military. If the North Vietnamese are violating the accords, and they are, then I can too. It is exactly this new “diplomacy” that has emasculated us. For them this is real current “Politik.””

“Ma’am, you are surely going to create a ruckus. The US military hasn’t fared well in Vietnam.

“I tried to tell her that Christmas 1971, when she offered to watch our kids while General Pruett and his wife looked on. I still can’t believe how fast you’ve grown, and how high you’ve reached in the military.”

“Tim, Jack, I believe that to be the result of a series of missteps by the American government, especially the micromanagement by the Johnson administration on the conduct of the war. You could also go back to the end of World War II when the United States allowed the French to reclaim Vietnam. Ho Chi Minh was one of the Allied Combatants. He worked with the US and others. He promised and delivered attacks on the Japanese during the war. He was promised an opportunity to form an indigenous government. The world in general, and the United States in particular, betrayed him in order to “help” the French. US policy has been one mistake after another when it comes to Vietnam and South East Asia. If the military were allowed to prosecute the war within reasonable oversight by the president we wouldn’t even be having this conversation.”

“Wow, how old are you? You have the perspective of someone much older.”

“She wasn’t that way four years ago when I first met her.”

I let a little giggle out and told the people at our half of the table, that Jack and his wife named their youngest for me.

The stewards began to clear plates. “Ladies and Gentlemen. Our dessert is in honor of General Beth Pruett. My chef calls it “Death by chocolate.” I had a delightful time of watching her after Levi’s chef served a delightful chocolate dessert. Gentlemen, I caution you, after one bite your escort will, if you are lucky, only break your arm if you attempt to remove her chocolate. Please, enjoy! Oh, I should tell you, my Chef has prepared exactly one for each of the male guest’s, and two for each of the ladies, if they should want them. This I’ve been told to do by the ladies in my house. Beth, your sister’s are eating desert right now.”

“For those who didn’t know; Beth is the second child of General Chip Pruett. Their first child, Amelia, died the day of her birth. I was her godfather, and I couldn’t do anything to help or save her. I promised Chip and Noreen I would be there for any future kids they might have. And please, Beth has only learned today she is my goddaughter. Beth doesn’t know it, but my daughters happen to be Chips goddaughters. Now I’m going to, as her chief of staff, tell you all to feel free anytime to talk to her. If you are part of Operation Baby Lift, you’re birds are or soon will be free to fly, so if you’ve got the crew, and can complete a mission tomorrow, or at the latest the next day, some significant award, to be named later, will be yours.

“By the way, I will be putting in for an award for Beth. After the crash CINCPAC predicted two to three weeks to restart Babylift. Beth, will convene an Article 32 hearing tomorrow morning that will, most likely, cashier James Lewis. At her command all mechanics from Sasebo, Japan, and from Clark Field, Republic of the Philippines are on their way here. These mechanics will assist our own. CINCPAC has already ordered all he can scrounge to be here on the soonest available transportation. The plan calls for stem to stern inspections. If a bird is NOT able to fly, we HAVE TO know. Beth is not here to place blame, though she is proving able to do that. She is here to bring those babies home.”

“Now, does anyone have questions for Beth?”

“Ma’am what security will be arround Tan Son Nhut air base?”

“Spooky will cover all landings, all the time while on the ground, and all take offs. As of midnight three aircraft carriers are on station under my under my standing orders. In a few days two more will arrive. Until our job is done we own the skies. I need to coordinate with the three carriers now in our vicinity. My intention is to run this task with nobody dying. Tomorrow I will be meeting our ambassador to South Viet Nam. Dr. Kissinger will be presenting an ultimatum to Hanoi. The North Vietnamese will be notified of our pending actions.

I don’t want to increase the military presence for its own sake. What I will do is provide cover to our aircraft. And future equipment failures had better damned well be exactly that. I have directives from POTUS; SECSTATE; JCOS; CNCNAV; CNCAF; CENTCOM all the way down the food chain to a woman who should be maybe, if I’m really good that day, a major. But it is my responsibility, my honor, and that of my baby sister who will always wear wings. My Dad did that pounding his wings barehanded into her coffin, and it’s the honor of a family who has bravely served our nation. My rank, my honor, my family’s honor have brought me here, to this place, and this time. I’ve been told the US military has run from Vietnam. I’ve been told that I can’t make a fuss, it would cause problems for the diplomats. I’m not a diplomat. I’m just a woman trying to do the best I can. Please, let’s at least bring those babies home.”

My impromptu speech must have hit a nerve. I think they finally found out who I was. They stood up and applauded my words

I looked down at my half eaten bowl of chocolate goo. Still a couple bites made me long for MORE!

I gathered Cindy, and Joyce with a glace. Just before I got to the house, Daddy pulled me up and took me into his arms. “Baby Girl” you never cease to amaze me. You done stirred up a hornet’s nest, that’s for right sure. You could go and tell them, Drop one bomb, and they would.” He stopped, looked into my eyes. He could see the bomb falling there.

“Son of a bitch, they gave you the release codes. Those fucking gutless wonders in DC not only gave you the option, they gave you the Nuclear Release codes. Ah shit! THAT’S the reason they were willing to send a 25 year old into this cluster fuck. THERE IS STILL A “CHANCE” TO SAVE South Vietnam — I can hear Henry Kissinger testifying before Congress. Nuke Hanoi. They don’t believe ANYONE could get those kids out. They don’t think it can be done, so send in a stalking horse. “Tell her “she’s the ONLY ONE who could do it. You have GOT to bring the BABIES out. THAT is the ONLY WAY YOU will be judged by the Military, the Country, and yourself. THEY ARE COUNTING ON YOU RELEASING A “LITTLE” NUCLEAR WEAPON. Fucking Nixon and ALL his Fucking Secret Plans. And Ford’s a REMF that will go along with what Kissinger wants. Tell a lie big enough, and often enough and the people will believe you. Those no good Rear Echelon Mother Fucking Bastards. I can’t believe this, and I’ve been part of some weird assed plans. Sons of bitches; they took Amelia’s life with nukes, and now their counting on YOU being broken and thrown away. YOU will be damned to the same hell I have every time I see a new born baby, and now YOU will know how it feels. Oh damn Honey. Suffer a nervous breakdown before releasing those codes. Pack it in, tell ‘em you’ve got the process running, and go home. Grab Cindy and run to Canada. DAMN them all too hell. I’ve been through three wars. Isn’t that enough? PLEASE GOD, I’ve already paid in full measure.”

I leaned against him. I could hear his heart pounding, I began to hum a hymn My Mamma taught me in his ears. Cindy joined that hug. Joyce, Fred, Don Ramsey and my two marines were suddenly holding weapons. Discretely to be sure, but I did not know any of them were armed, they formed a protective arc around us. “Daddy, ssshhh… people are beginning to guess something’s wrong. Let me go into the house. Go back and schmooze like only you can. His frown became a smile, and he called back to me, “Princess, Remember you change back into a frog at midnight. Oh, wait a second.” He ran back to where he was setting and grabbed a pool type tote, and brought it to me there. “Elves again. You’ll find assorted nightwear both Pajama’s and nightgowns and robes for you, Joyce and Cindy. On the bottom is your MP-5. I’m staying here, so it wouldn’t be a big deal if you had to meet me or I meet you.

Go, enjoy your slumber party. There’s nothing that will demand your attention for the next few hours. He kissed me on the cheek. “I will do anything to save you from this, I’m so sorry Baby.”

Something cold passed over me. “Daddy, your death would not be a way out for me, or Amelia.”

“Honor first,” I recited to him. He replied, “Honor last,” together we repeated the final clause, “Always Honor!”

He smiled, “You know me too well. No, I won’t do that. What I will be doing I’ll tell you at midnight. Expect a couple of visitors. Also, if you go outside don’t be surprised to see someone in black or dark clothing. Have a good time with the kiddies.”

“Daddy, I may hold the power of hell, but I won’t use it unless each member of my command team agrees. And where in the world did Tim pull out being my Chief of Staff?”

“I don’t know, but, better him than me!”

“Why don’t you and Tim plan on a quick meeting over a snifter of brandy about midnight. Please tell him I normally don’t drink anything, as you well know, sometimes maybe white wine, tonight I’m going to want that brandy.”

“You think you’re in danger in a group of teenage girls?”

“Oh Daddy, I’ll tell you all about it in the morning; that is, if I survive the night.”

I called Fred and my two Marines over to our impromptu meeting. “Guys, keep your eyes open for some shooters. Seals, rangers, Special Forces — recon, pararescue jumpers. Anything along those lines I going to want five per flight. If we get five flights, well you can do the math. CINCPAC has a Seal team coming, but I hope to have at least one flight completed before they get here. I’m guessing a minimum of twenty-five. I want teams of at least one Para-Rescue medic, and 4 to 6 shooters, one with kids, or around kids on each flight. Fred, get a hold of Gwen, set up a meeting with her at my office sometime tomorrow or the next day. One more for your list Pop; we need shoulder holsters or some other way to conceal a 45. and M-16’s; maybe a zipper with their jump suit? If possible, I’d like a .308 with scope and 2 M-16’s assigned to my fighter. If you can figure out how to attach them to my chute that would be a big gold star on your report card.” He knew I was teasing, and his smile broke some of the tension. I pulled him into a hug.

Fred, one more for your to do list, Find me 150 volunteers to go into Tan Son Nhut. I doubt we’ll need them, but I’d like to know in advance of needing them, so start at the hospital.

“So… Snoopy, you and Turk handle the green machine. Jack, I’ll need you to help Fred, supervising his efforts and picking up the slack. I’m sorry, you’re going to be very busy. See if there are any forward combat air controllers. Also, find me some para-rescue types, tri-athletes, anyone with the will and at least sharpshooter or better marksmanship. Pop, see if you can raid the armory for any smg’s. I doubt you’ll find many, if any, and a box of flash bangs would be wonderful if you have to do something around children.”

“That’s all I have right now. I wish you all a good night.”

We entered the house and located the party using sound alone. It was apparently a conference room that had been turned into a giant Bed Room. I turned to Cindy and Joyce. “Ladies I’ve never done this before. Please Help me. If I’m asking too much of you, tell me. I don’t want to and I can’t be Bitchy. Cindy, I have to lean on you, my love, my life. You must tell me when to stop. I’ve just been given the biggest challenge of my life. My mind may not be totally in sync with a party. Just help me, and make sure the girls have fun. I’ll be making an announcement a bit after Midnight. Just tell them it’s an Angel Secret for now. I’m going to see that every kid on this rock gets a ride in a jet fighter in the next few months. I also want to make a “Mini-Museum” with one each of every type of aircraft on this island. Joyce, maybe you could take this one? I’d like to do an air show. Can you help with this? See if they have Civil Air Patrol group on Guam. I think if I order it, every base on this rock will contribute to it.”

Joyce replied, “You are doing great. You’ve delegated, set a time to meet, you’ve gotten down to business in a very professional, “Hi, I’m the highest bitch on this rock. Push me and eat dirt” sort of way.

“Okay my friends. Keep things light if you can. I knocked. Both Doors flew open and we were grabbed into the maw of a slumber party. My well trained senses lead me directly to a counter filled with chocolate in all it’s glory. There was a Coleman Ice Chest, inside in all its gooey splendor were four servings of Tim’s chef’s “Death by Chocolate,” kept cold with dry ice. Other than the “goo” I got one, one for Cindy, one for Joyce, and my second. Each was identical in construction. Miniature walls and battlements. Each of the four corners were filled. One turned out to be chocolate milk flavored syrup. One was filled with “regular” chocolate sauce, one was filled with M&M’s, and the last was filled with Caramel. In the center were little scoops of ice cream. Coconut and powdered sugar was sprinkled over the whole thing, suggesting snow. From looks alone I guessed chocolate brownie, German chocolate, and rocky road flavor ice cream made up each layer. About half way up was a little flag. I don’t know how they did it, but there was a flag, 1 x 2 inches maybe? The flag was light blue with a Golden A surrounded by a halo. Whipped cream covered most of the inside; there was a shallow moat around everything, made of chocolate brownies. There was NO way I was eating all of it. Next to it were a bunch of long spoons. My remaining Ice cream “castle” I put back in the ice chest. It took an hour and eight people to devour it. Cindy and Joyce similarly shared their second castle of the night. It was good. It was chocolaty, just enough vanilla to reset my taste buds. All was good, I’d eaten my fill of chocolate. I’d eaten so much I’m sure I was wallowing around the room.

Someone broke out the nail polish, and I had my first slumber party pedicure and manicure. By the time they’d finished with me I had red, white, and blue toes on both feet. I did draw the line when they wanted to do the same to my fingers, insisting they used a light or dark color, one that didn’t draw attention to itself. We wound up settling on a deep burgundy.

The speed at which these girls moved was phenomenal.

There were skits. There were Games: Truth—or-Dare: I chose Dare.

The dare I had, kiss someone in the room. I was pleased. There was one there I wanted to kiss more so I kissed Cindy! Cindy got nerfed.

Some of the girls had wanted to fit Joyce with a bra that smelled like “white shoulders” and the size had to be 60 some inches, with an incredible bust size.

There came a knock on the door, and two Marines asked me to come with them. The older was a major, who had a look of quiet competence surrounding him. We climbed the stair to a suite of rooms. “Ma’am; at de suggestion of General Chip Pruett you been invited to stay here in Govment House. Two fleet Marines will be outside you door at all times, they will be dress for success. They be there for anyting you may have desire. Your Poppa will be in the suite wit you, along with Major Cindy, and you sec’rtary Captain Joyce. General Pruett has also asked dat we pick up you armory, and clothes from de aircraft.”

I asked him, “Are you Creole?”

“How you know dat.”

“Your accent, Some of the best fighting men I ever saw. Finest kind.”

The Major grinned at the compliment. “Anyting you need Ma’am, we be here to serve you.

A smiling female Lieutenant-Commander Navy MP assured me all my clothing, toiletries, and other personal items were in my bedroom and that she was the only one who’d touched my garments.

She then asked me “I saw your demonstration this morning, do you really need all the guns you carry? And, do you think you could teach me a couple of good places for hideouts for me?”

As a sergeant, she should never have asked such a personal question of me. As a woman, she had basically asked a “beauty” question, well sort of. And frankly having the MP’s being able to disarm a woman like me worked in my favor.

“Commander, I’d be glad to help you. Now folks I have a bunch of girls to calm down. I looked, noted the time and asked one of my angels to take the rest of the apprentices back to the party.

“Okay Girls I’ve got to run for a few minutes. When I come back, I’ll tell you all the secret. Just a Few Minutes and Angel will tell you her secret tonight.”

I was directed to the library, on the third story. Inside was Daddy, Levi, Tim and a Marine Brigadier I’d not yet met. In addition there was a man I assumed was a local, Tomas Sauea who was the Governor of Guam.

Filling my big snifter with brandy, I took a good sip of it, relishing the warmth that hit my stomach and spread through my body. “Has there been a response to either of the sitreps (situation reports)?

“No, but they’re just getting the first about now.”

“Any shooters out there?”

“Ma’am may I answer that?” The Brigadier spoke. Ma’am, my name is David Baker. Baker was a black mountain of a man. Just his raw sexual animalism scared me. He’s turning me on. I don’t know him but good grief. “Can you provide teams of three to eight working as “aircrew” and “ground crew” till I get the babies out? I’ll try to get you R&R as often as I can.”

“Thank you Ma’am I’ll provide your group the muscle and you can provide the tlc.”

“General, I’m sure you think you’re the best, probably better than my Dad, Chip Pruett, almost certainly better than me. We need to settle that. I’ll be right back. I’m carrying too many weapons for a civilized brawl.”

”What weapons could you be carrying little girl?”

“General, ya’ll might consider your words around General Beth Pruett.

Throwing blades suddenly appeared to either side of his head.

“On your head General, where shall I have flowers sent?” I asked politely.

He came at me like a raging bull. I stepped through is first strikes, and He came to the point of my third throwing blade which was just pricking the skin angled up to cut the heart cleanly in two. As he carefully backed way I threw the blade at the chair he had been sitting. Three knives now evenly spaced in a row decorated his former chair. With that distraction, I had my .380 automatic out and aimed between his eyes.

Tim spoke up. “This woman is good, very good. I saw pretty much the same demonstration. When she’s out of weapons, that’s when she’s the meanest.”

“She’s a Pararescue jumper, and UDT diver, and is second to none in killing if it’s needed. She’s also an M.D. — the only Medical Doctor and Pararescue Jumper known to USCENTCOM.”

“So, General?” He turned back when he heard me pull the bolt, to see my MP-5. “So are you going to give up? Or am I going to go physical?”

“Ma’am I thank you for your demonstration, but what of real life?”

Daddy Jumped into the conversation, “General, you know my reputation. I always followed the guns. This “little girl” went out to a drug smuggler’s boat. She visualized the white powder and passed that information to the Coast Guard. Still she went down the wire. I had gone out on this one. It was her solo in terms of managing the rescue. A job she did with grace and style. I just got in the way. The Pentagon awarded the Silver Star with “V” device, she also took her first hog’s tooth and her first gunshot wound.”

“Pull out your tooth Princess. You might recognize it. She fought to secure eight armed Bolivian National’s. As the first chopper load got permission to RTB; one grabbed me, going ape shit. Beth drew her weapon fired twice. The first blew the guy’s heart apart. The second nearly severed his head. He had managed to hit her flight suit. She just watched him fall down and die. With no more feelings than those of crushing a bug. She then ran down two other smugglers. One shot her, fortunately the wound did not incapacitate her. Her shot was the exact center of mass, she severed his aorta. Later the Coast guard pulled 450 kilos of pure, uncut white cocaine, most of which were in a sealed compartment that hung from the boats hull — Beth told them there were two hulls and that the cocaine was in the space between them.”

“She’s been on every single dumb ass rescue from 250’ below the surface to 20,000 feet above it; every one that was alive when she got there she took out and to a hospital.”

“She’s done the Alaska SERE course, as well as others: Triple Canopy, and dessert, and oh yeah, the Marine Alpine School. She is the real deal guys “That Other’s May Live.””

I just watched Brigadier Baker, though I did notice my feet which had not, yet, thankfully, fully flushed in embarrassment. General Baker slowly backed away. When he’d moved to his original chair he carefully removed the knives and laid them gently on the floor. In turn, I cleared my weapons and put them away.

“Pop, my awards are public knowledge. I turned to the Governor, “I must ask for your forgiveness. My name is Beth Pruett, our government has called me to your home, what I’ve seen of your island is a very beautiful.”

I smiled, thinking myself so very multicultural. What came back was a thick twangy southern drawl, “Miss Beth, I’ve spent more time in Texas than I have in Guam. I should excuse myself, as you are a guest in my house.

“While you were busy with the girls I see they subjected you mercilessly to an assault of nail polish. We’ve been discussing the terrible possibility, despite CINCPAC’s contrary opinion that you and your father may be right.” Go back and be at ease, at least for the night. By the way, we have decided to increase security around you and your staff. There’s some people who think General Lewis is a fine, upstanding officer, and that he pays his bribes on time.”

I asked General Baker, “Do you run?”

“Why yes, usually every day.”

“Tim, since you appointed yourself my chief of staff, can I get a wakeup call for 6:00, is there a desk that tracks overnight developments.”

“You’ll have your intel briefing; CINCNAVPAC, will have locations of ships as of 0600; Threats and estimations, and a summary of major CONUS stories. You’ll also get an update on the C-5 inspections and airworthiness. We’ll be sure you get the hospital’s summary, I would recommend seeing to that in the morning.

“Thanks Tim, one last thing guys. I want the local girls to grow up thinking of joining the military when they graduate High School. I’d like to schedule an air show for some time in the next few months. Will you all help me with that?”

“Governor, General Baker, my name is Beth, please use it.”

“General Baker, how about a run 8:00 am, day after tomorrow. I will NOT have worked the sugar out before then.

General Baker suggested, “How about a “combat” timed, run?”

“Ah well, Once more into the breach dear friends, once more into the breech…”

Chapter Fifteen: Angel’s Secret for the Angel Apprentices

4/7/75

About 2430

I entered the room to “Hail to the Chief” played by two rows of kazoos. I just crashed. “I need chocolate, is my butt getting bigger? I’m swearing off any Death by chocolate contests.” I was mobbed on the floor.

“I therefore decree that sometime in the next three months, we will be having an Air Show. Rides will be available. In fact I will be flying my own F-4. You girls get in free, well everyone will get in free, and you’ll get a random number that may mean you get to ride with me! The boys get in, too. Be careful to wash and dry your hair. I’ll be sure to have a number of clean helmets, which I’ll try to save for the girls. Joyce, do you know if my helmet bag was brought over here?”

Joyce did, and brought it into the madhouse and I opened it up. Joyce then did what every excellent staff person would do, they ooohh’d and ahhh’d like it was something wonderful. Okay, I admit, I giggled, I ooohh’d and ahhh’d with the best. “Why don’t you pull out some sleeping mats, I’ve got a lot of work, so, why don’t we do this again in two weeks? Then we can have time to talk about your 10 ten most Memorable sleepover Memories. We’ll take THAT and do a ginormous sleep over probably two to four weeks later. Start thinking now.”

“One more thing. Once the word gets out, I expect a lot more girls will want to be “Angels.” Please, be ladies and welcome them. I’m here for more than just 22 girls, I’m here for whoever needs me.” BIG yawn, “I am getting sleepy. Would General Tyner’s daughters join me and Cindy over in the corner for a couple of minutes?”

I sat down Indian style, “so, How much do you three know about me?”

“Dad’s been happier the last four years since Uncle Rex and Aunt Noreen adopted you. There are all these pictures of you. And a Banner “Our Sister’s Coming Home Soon!””

“And she is here! Your father is my Godfather, and My Daddy is Your Godfather. I am so very happy to be home. So which is which and who is Elise? She was the 6 year old giggle box, freckles and Bright Red hair. I pulled her onto my lap. “Who’s the 10 year old middle child? Amelia, come sit on my lap. You are named after my sister?” I know. Yes I miss her too. In a family of faith, we share the understanding that we will live to see our loved ones again, here on earth or in heaven. We share that! I have always known her, I think. When my Daddy gave me her jewelry, and jewelry box that was always passed down from the oldest girl in the family, to her daughter, it made me stop and think. It would have been Amy’s jewelry box. I have like felt everything I do is compared to what she might have done. And Annette Noreen, the first-born, 12 years old. Always having to lead the way, always trying. I’ll tell you a real secret I’ve lived that life, twice! First with my birth family, and again, when Momma and Daddy adopted me. I think you know my sad story. I grew up in a family where the father was a mean abusive person. At the time, I had some serious issues. I had almost killed myself, and I just knew the next time I would die. Instead, with the help of several doctors I ran away from home. The second day I pulled in to Momma’s Motel where Momma almost instantly adopted me. The next week I asked Daddy why me? He turned it over in his mind. He said, maybe it was a Christmas miracle or Momma and I needed each other. Hey, when all this is completed and I get home, why don’t you and I fly out to meet my Grammy; it will be fun. Have you ever ridden on a horse? Grammy lives on a ranch with two of my aunts and their husbands, they have a LOT of horses. Do you live in Government house? Elise answered “Daddy said he would put your rooms next to ours.” “Lead the way then!” Cindy, Joyce and I turned around, “Goodnight Everybody”

Her dad managed the rooms quite well. We took up the two largest suites in the whole building. Cindy and I had two rooms connected by a bathroom. Joyce got one and a taped on, “sleep till you’re ready for work” sign on it. Dad had the remaining room. Cindy and I took the two smaller rooms, which had a connecting bathroom. Dad and Joyce each had their own bathroom.

It was 0100 before we snuggled down to sleep. Cindy was teary as we got ready for bed. I asked what for? She replied it was because I had so much family, she snuggled close, I told her that was only since Christmas 4 years ago, but she’d already fallen asleep.

O’dark:30. Pop and I were both up and “not so” ready to run at 6:30. I did the twirl, and then he copied me. Neither of us showed our weapons. I had the .45 below my altered bra, a derringer in my bra, and a couple of magazines in the zippered pockets of my shorts. Three tactical knives back where they belong. As promised last night we had Marines join us in our run. I was surprised, whoever put this detail together managed to find two female NCOs. I wasn’t sure how fast we should go, so I asked which way was fun town? We took off in that direction.

I settled into a gentle pace. I figured we would have an easy run and be back thirty minutes, fifteen minutes for Fun Town. So I set out at a gentle and a half minute, mile. No sooner had we left then I started hearing complaints. “I hear once you reach Major your health goes downhill.” “It’s a pity we’re going so slowly.” I looked over at dad and saw the gleam in his eye. “Okay Marines, here’s how it is. I am pararescue and we don’t do that “run to the guns” horse hockey. When we run, usually it’s with a marine under each arm, and we RUN. And we’re running away from the guns. I’m willing to forgo having two of you acting or being wounded though I’d be pissed if you wanted to actually BE wounded. BLOOD IS HARD TO WASH OUT OF BRAS.” The two women NCOs started laughing. Since we’ve only just gotten started we’ll consider this our zero point, you got that Marines?”

“Ma’am, yes ma’am. Hoorah!”

“One last thing, are any of you guys not carrying a weapon?” two hands went up. “Gunny, take their names. Learn this now, Marines. If you aren’t armed you’re a liability because I’d have to cover you or help carry you home. On my watch, NO ONE gets left behind. You Hear that Marines?”

“Ma’am, Yes Ma’am.”

“Okay, you two who “forgot” your guns; where’s your hardware?”

Both answered Government House, “Okay gentlemen, pull your shirts off, drop them here to mark where we are starting from. Leave them here, and go get your sidearms.”

Dad looked at me, “are you slacking off Ma’am?”

“No Pop, too much sugar yesterday.”

He smiled, “I knew that, I was seeing if you did.” We’d been running in place for five minutes when the offender’s got back. “Attitude check Ladies and Gentlemen, time to let me see what you are carrying. Dad locked the slide open and presented it. He was also carried an accurized .45. Then it was time to look at the Marines. Dad called out “Present Arms.”

Heckle and Jeckle, the two without shirts, checked out fine with their .45’s. The first lieutenant “in charge” of my marine detail did not do so well. “Gunny, remind me to speak with his captain. I took his weapon and turned my back on the detail. A little work with a Swiss Army knife and the barrel was clean. Anyone have gun oil?” The Gunny again was the source for basic gun oil. I applied a liberal amount to the slide, and miracle of miracles the slide moved freely. I popped the magazine out. It was too dirty to function adequately. I swapped it for one of my spares and he was okay.

“Ladies and gentlemen, that will not repeat itself. Now I am running late, so, guess what? No mercy. Gunny? If you keep up I’d appreciate you calling the directions. Let’s go.”

We did the first two miles in eleven minutes. “Now we separate the Marines from the girl” And I was off, Pop knew I’d beat him, but he stayed with the pack.

0715 and I was back at Government House, having covered the two miles to get back “home.” I walked around stretching, cooling down while the stragglers trickled in.

“Oh Lieutenant Darnell Johnson?”

“Yes Ma’am?”

“If you will be leading my morning detail then I will accept nothing less than perfection. I want a request from you to have your team’s .45’s accurized by your Brigade’s gunsmiths, today, at my request. Copy my father on the request. When you walk in, tell them it is at my command, and any project, if it is not directly related to Babylift it is to take a backseat to working on your guns. If your brigade gunsmith is as good as say, the average civilian gunsmith, then you will be surprised at the results. You are specifically ordered to tell them what I said, and who I am to be saying it. If they play stupid tell them in my name they are required to speak with Major General Pruett, or Lieutenant General L.E. Pruett. Those .45s are to be permanently assigned to each of your team members, weapon serial number to personnel serial number.”

“We will regularly run through fun town, tomorrow, maybe with Brigadier David Baker, if your scores are lousy now, please, get in some time at the range. I intend to have this team performing to my standards, and I don’t care about any pussy excuses. If you can beat me, I’ll buy you, and a guest dinner at your choice of restaurant.”

“However, I surely do hope General Baker wants to wager on time on target and speed. Now I am certain someone will want to handle “gentlemen’s wagers.” When you find out the odds I’ll bet $100.00 if you guys will kick in at least matching bets. Gentlemen, you will win whatever the odds. Gunny, would you hold and place the bets when the odds are against my winning?”

“IF today’s dismal performance continues THEN I will find ingenious ways to improve it. You will meet or exceed Para-Rescue, at least where it comes to speed and accuracy in the Hogan’s alley. You will meet these standards or beat them, or I’ll send you to an easier assignment, say Force Recon.”

I heard some comments about “I’ll bet she carries some pussy pistol or a derringer. “You, catch!” I shouted. While they were watching the derringer, I pulled the .45 from under my bra. The Marine dropped the derringer when he saw the .45 pointed directly between his eyes. “This one’s for fighting that one’s for fun. Marine, you dropped my pistol. You dropped MY derringer Marine, Do you have any excuse for the way you have treated one of MY weapons?

“Ma’am, uh, no Ma’am.”

“You will correctly ascertain the caliber of the derringer. You will then field strip and clean it. After reassembly; you will then do the math of the caliber times the number of bullets. You will report that number to your staff NCO and you will then perform pushups to the correct number. Oh, to keep it simple, 0.45 will be 45. No decimal BS corner cutting. So it’s 45 * 4 Pushups. Aww Hell, since you didn’t know my standards just do 100 pushups. THIS time.”

“Come with me Lieutenant we need to speak to your Company Commander.” With that the young lieutenant and I walked into the guard room in Government House.

“Lieutenant Darnell, Reporting as ordered by General Beth Pruett.”

Captain Brian Vickers walked around the desk, “mmm and why would a Lieutenant General ask you to report to me, a mere Captain? Would you care to answer that Lieutenant?”

“Captain, I and my detail were told to escort General Beth and General Rex for their morning run. Then some of the men started making comments that General Beth Pruett found fault with.”

“What kind of comments LT?”

“The comments were about age and/or gender.”

“LT, did you know she could file charges against you? Why did two of your team return so quickly without their shirts and leave even faster.”

“Sir, two men failed to start the run with their side arms. When the two men returned, she pointed out issues with several men’s side arms.”

“That’s a wide charge, would you like to point out your problems?”

“No sir I would NOT.”

“Well LT, what was the greatest problem?”

“One gun had a plug of paper that had rendered the weapon unsafe to fire.”

“That would be your firearm LT?”

“Sir, Yes Sir”

The captain turned to me, and asked what I wanted to do?

“I felt it best to be handled quietly at company level, no need to muddle up his records. In my opinion the LT simply should find ways to re-acquaint himself and his weapons. Certainly, if his duty weapon was inoperable it might very well cost his life, or the life of one of his comrades, not even considering who he might have been escorting. I believe that if you were to assign him and this morning’s team to me for my morning runs I may be able to instill my own level of care for his weapon. It is my experience that any mission may quickly deteriorate to need force of arms. For me it happened on a seal infested rock and a group of drug smugglers. I had to get it out of my flight suit. In the process, one of the perp’s rounds went through my jumpsuit at the level of my heart. His aim was so close it still amazes me I am still alive. My first time it was short, intense, and very brutal. Four rounds were fired. First, I hit dead on center of mass, and the second shot cut his spinal cord. I was wounded, but killed two men that night.”

“You hear the Lady LT?”

“Sir, yes sir.”

“Would you do better if I assigned you to her morning team?”

“Sir, yes sir.”

“Ma’am, I’ll leave him to your loving care.”

Chapter Sixteen: Angel and the Would Be Robber

I could get used to service like this. Though I hated the reason for the service. My time was now too valuable to spend doing things like cooking or relaxing in the tub. My Dad had joined me as our breakfast orders were taken; the orderly was back in with coffee for him and an English breakfast tea for me.

The MP Captain found me there, “Sir/Ma’am, Your overnight logs. It is now the fourth day since the accident halted Operation BabyLift. I’d like thirty minutes to an hour of your time General, he stumbled on two General Pruett’s.

“Captain, when the attitude is informal, such as now, my name is Beth, My Dad’s name is Chip, though I couldn’t tell you why. And you are Captain Brian Vickers.”

“Yes Ma’am?”

“Then, Captain Brian Vickers, when we are in an informal setting, you will call me Beth, and my Father Chip, and you are Brian, is that okay with you?”

“Ma’am, if you order it then yes.”

“I do Captain.” I lost myself in the reports. Breakfast was a working meal. It was 0800 or later when I got to the News; then I became agitated.

UPI... (United Press International), re: Operation Babylift:

UPI, San Francisco Bureau: Where is Captain Beth Pruett? — The Angel of the Bay is missing. Other headlines: The Angel of the Bay is found. UPI Sacramento Bureau: The Governor announced that Beth Pruett was on her way to Guam to help repatriate American Babies. “It’s true, I’d like to announce that in conjunction with the Pentagon Beth Pruett, now a Colonel in the United States Air Force, was federalized to help with operation BabyLift.

“Those piddle dicked assholes!”

“Beth, watch your mouth!” Daddy told me.

“Pop, you will not restrain me or chastise me when we return. I intend to strafe that Bastard on the capitol steps.”

“Not if he knows you’re gunning for him.”

“Daddy, it’s already more than justified. Is Joyce up yet?”

Joyce came out, bleary eyed. “I don’t know, is it me or is it Memorex?”

“Joyce, up to some shorthand?” “Sure, just a second.” Okay, when you’re ready.

“To Governor Moonbeam, The Golden Palace, Sacramento, The Bear Flag Republic, Sometimes known as California.”

“Dear Governor Moonbeam, I thought we’d agreed, this medal and press release fetish thing you have must stop. Sir, it was bad enough when I was just a Captain. But now, because of you, and your fetish for Medals; Because of your actions, sir, retribution will be swift and sure.”

“Governor Moonbeam probably has another medal heading this way, it must be stopped!”

“Someone cranky this morning?” Joyce asked, buttering a piece of toast and grabbing a hot coffee.

“Governor Brown issued a statement that Beth was going to Guam.” Cindy replied grabbing the bear claw pastry off of my plate.

“Are you eating enough Babe?” Cindy asked, dishing a helping of sausage and eggs onto my plate. “You don’t mind if I share with you, do you?” Cindy blurred the edges off of everything with her smile.

“That slime mold governor of ours issued a statement that HE and the Pentagon sent me over here to help. That Man would steal candy from a baby’s Mother, giving the baby dyspepsia instead of the natural refined cane sugar which made America Strong, Mother won’t have enough sugars because He’s Stealing the lollipops!”

“Oh dear, when she starts going off on a baby topic someone better snap her out of it. Fast!”

“Hey Princess, look at the readiness numbers. You’ll have 2 planes ready by tonight, and 6 more planes by 1700 the following day. I think I’ll give the gunnery sergeant a $100 myself.”

“Beth you’ve the Article 32 Hearing, you should probably be there before 0930 then you’ve an afternoon appointment at the hospital today: If you are able, your senior medical staff would like to meet with you for lunch.”

The door burst open to calls of “Hi Beth, Hi Grandpa, Hi Cindy, Hi Joyce,” three blurs of energy bowled into Me. “We’re going swimming, can you come with us?”

“I wish I could. I can’t. I’m here to get those babies out of Vietnam. I’ve got to fly to Saigon and see the ambassador. While I’m there, I’m hoping to get two planes off the ground headed for Guam.”

“Oh, and we can’t go with you?” Amelia asked.

“No honey, it would be too dangerous.”

“Oh. I thought we were getting our sister home forever, but we’ve barely seen you at ALL!”

“Honey, as soon as I get the babies out I’ll have lots of time.”

“Yeah, that’s what Daddy said you’d say,” Amelia pouted.

I turned to Elise and Ann. “Girls, could Amelia and I walk around for a little bit. I know, I’ve an appointment at 0930. But I need some time for this.”

Cindy gathered the other two and quizzed them about all the things I should have taken time for last night.

Amelia and I walked out the front of Government House, and we wandered in a different way than this morning. I noticed my Marine detail scrambling to stay in front and behind me. “You okay?” I asked.

Amelia shook her head no.

“Want to talk about it?”

The same shake of her head.

“You know why I’m here?”

“Cause it’s time for you to come home. She said so herself!”

“She?”

“Your sister silly; She talks to me all the time.”

Amelia said this as a simple statement of fact.

“I can’t spend most of my day with you, but, you’re 10 years old now. Would you like to spend part of your day with me?”

“Yes! That would be fun.”

“Okay Amy, then let’s head back. I have a trial to oversee first thing, then I’ll be going to the hospital. We need to get you a pad and paper, and you need a uniform! So let’s tell your Dad you are going to be my Angel in Training, and helper with quality control today!”

Tim was in a meeting, so I would get Amelia equipped with Medical whites, yuck I dressed in my class A Blue uniform, with all my ribbons, including the ones I’d “neglected.” Then we went to the PX. Fortunately, the PX stocked a large range of sizes. I was able to get a dress that fit Amelia. It was longer than she liked, but that could be hemmed later. I picked up caduceus and a cadet insignia for her. We topped that off with a light weight cardigan. Nurse’s shoes and white pantyhose, then I had a name tag made for her, and my “Angel in Training” was ready. On the way out, I bought a notebook, paper, and pen, so she’d have something to do.

I was able to reach Tim, and told him my plans for the morning. He thought having Amelia along would be good for her. He then told me Amelia had developed an “imaginary friend,” her sister “Amelia,” when Mary died. “Amelia,” she said, was my dead sister.

Amy wanted to get something to drink. We pulled into a quickie mart, and walked inside. My escorts waited outside while we went in. Amy looked through the drinks before choosing a cola. I grabbed a Tab, and we started towards the front, via the candy aisle. A white boy came through the door and tried to hold up the place. I grabbed my 45 and moved Amy to the farthest end of the aisle. “Wait here,” I told her.

I moved back down the aisle. Allowing the shelving unit to hide me as long as possible. I was less than 6 feet away when I asked the clerk “How Much is This?” in as vapid a way as possible. The kid turned to confront me. I stepped inside his reach, and struck, breaking his collar bone. As the pain caused him to turn into himself I plucked the gun from his grasp, “you really don’t want to do this. Be glad it’s me and not my security team. They wouldn’t have let me take care of it, instead they would have blown you into dust bunnies.”

“Amy, would you get the LT for me?”

Amy scurried out the door and the poor kid didn’t move. The entire security team came bursting through the door. “Whoa guys, he’s going to’ hurt a lot, but he’s not going to hurt anyone else.”

I had the cash register clerk to call for an ambulance, and the MPs. Then I went outside to see how Amy was doing. “Did you see that Amy?”

“Yes, and all she did was touch him once… No, she didn’t hit him, all she did was touch him then she took the gun…. No I wasn’t! She was there. No one could hurt me while she was there… Silly, of course.”

“Hey little sister, you okay?”

“Hi Angel, Amy and I were just talking about how you touched that man.”

“Amy, you know who I am, don’t you?”

“Oh of course, you’re The Angel, Beth”

“Honey, I’m Beth, people just call me Angel.”

“shh… I won’t tell.”

”Oh Honey. I really am just Beth Pruett, I’m your oldest sister, remember?”

“I know silly, she just says that so people let her alone.”

“Honey, I’m going to ask the gunny to stay with you while I talk to the MPs.”

“‘s okay Beth.”

Inside the kid who’d tried robbery was in the hands of the paramedics.

He was in a lot of pain. “I’m a physician, can I take a look?” The EMT looked up at me, saw my uniform and let me in to the kid I had stopped.

“Hey, my name is Beth, I had to stop you before you hurt someone. My little sister and I are escorted everywhere. Can I take some of the pain away?”

He looked up at me, and smiled, “You’re Her, the Angel. I’ve heard about you.”

I took that as agreement. I reduced the clavicle, grateful it was a clean break, I had the EMT cut the shirt off and with him and taped the kid back into place with a figure of eight bandage.

“That feel a bit better?” He nodded. “Please, I have to tell you, anything you say to me can be used in a court of law.”

“I don’t care, I got to meet the Angel. Will you visit me in the hospital?”

“I couldn’t help smiling, what’s your name?”

“Seaman 2nd, Anthony Sivichi, Ma’am.”

“Tony, why?”

“Ma’am, I’ve a habit. I wanted to be career Navy. Some of the guys on the cruiser I’m on use a lot of heroin. I’ve used up my money, and I need some bad. “Ma’am tell me I can be free.”

“Tony, who do you think I am?”

“Ma’am, everyone knows you’re the Angel of the Bay.”

“But I’m not in the Bay right now Tony.”

“No Ma’am. God sent you special to Guam. Do you think I could be the reason?”

“Tony, I’m here to bring back home with me GI babies from Vietnam. We’re going to find them new homes in the United States, but I pray with all my heart you come out of this clean, sober, and that this will be a teaching moment in your life.” I looked down, and instead of pain, all I saw was joy in his eyes.

The “gun” turned out to be a BB gun, which had no BB’s. It sort of tried to look like a Colt Model 1911 .45, and was grained in a way that kept it from being fingerprinted. The EMT’s hauled him to the hospital. I didn’t know what to think. When he left it was as though he had been healed by an Angel of God. I went out to my ride. “You are right Amy, she IS an angel. Could we get our cokes now?” Amy asked me. I took the money out of my purse, put my gun away at the same time, and sat there watching Amy skipping hand in hand with the Gunny. The MP’s took my statement. I kept it brief and very much to the cause of my actions. Amy and the Gunny got back, and we headed off, to keep my 10:00 court appearance.

Chapter Seventeen: Article 32

4/7/75

I walked down the hall to my “courtroom.” Admiral Roberts, General Tyner and two other flag officers were waiting behind a table. I introduced myself, “Good Morning Gentlemen, I’m Lieutenant General Linda Elizabeth Pruett. You must General Richard Clayton, and Admiral Victor Harris. Since I had to bounce one “advocate” off the wall in my office I want you to look at my promotion order, I did not want this, I tried to get out of it, but I will perform my duties. I have an envelope for both of you. I do not know the specifics of your orders. My orders, which I will carry out, call for me to get orphans, the progeny of American Service men out of South Vietnam. I hope this Article 32 hearing will clear one roadblock in carrying out those orders. My letter went from one to the other. General Clayton whistled, Admiral Harris eyes got huge, but he made no sound.

“Admiral Roberts, I thought you’d serve as president of the Board.”

“Sorry Beth, you’re the senior, it’s your job.”

“Yes,” General Tyner confirmed.

Two tables were set up opposite the judges. At one was captain Camacho with his buddy lieutenant Al Reynolds. Behind the other table, the defendant’s advocates. I introduced myself. Major Ted Hopkins introduced himself and his associate, Captain Larry Gregor. I thanked them in advance for their service.

A court reporter was seated between the two groups. My father sat to one side. Marine sentry’s stood at either end of the court. Flags were lined up behind the officer’s table. For the first time I saw that I did have a flag, Air Force Blue with the three white stars. Such a little thing, but it made me feel special.

Behind the “bar” were the witnesses. Far more than I’d expected. My legal team was certainly earning their pay today. As I walked to the table, Pop called out, “All rise.”

I took my place. “Good morning all, please be seated.” Addressing the advocates and other members of the court I asked. “Okay Gentlemen, I will request and require that you advise me as we go along. This is not my field of expertise.”

Suddenly Dad’s function was clear. He would serve as the bailiff. I addressed him as such. “Bailiff, you will bring General Lewis in now, please release him from his handcuffs before you bring him in.”

I learned later that Daddy had a short little talk with General Lewis: “Jim, you’ve screwed the pooch this time. There’s no one to help you out of this little predicament. The president of the Board is a woman. She’s tough as nails. I’ve seen her gun a man down because he didn’t want to wait his turn. Frankly she scares the hell out of me, and she’s my daughter. Yes, my daughter! She is the most highly decorated woman ever to wear Air Force Blue. She’s not supposed to be in combat, but she has a knack of finding it, or it finding her. She has never lost at anything in her life. She’s a fucking prodigy. It took her two and a half years to finish her M.D. She ran the gamut for Combat Pararescue, highest ranked officer to ever run the course, and she finished first in her class. When whoever designed the Pararescue Course Pipeline they decided to exclude women, they never gave a thought to someone like her. She got around the checks that were supposed to exclude women by taking each of the required core courses. Hell, she took every flippin’ course required or suggested for a PJ, THEN she went to Pensacola and did the Navy’s’ Diving course, UDT and all! After all that she went through the “gatekeeper” course. With all the women’s lib crap, they figured it better to just let her in, then wash her out. Better that then suffer from a targeted campaign by the National Organization for Women. Unfortunately she didn’t wash out. She graduated top in her class.”

“She already has two aerial kills to her name. Seems a couple of SU-29’s flew a bit too far across our exclusion zones over the North Pacific. Both of them, the second . Then she took her F-4 Straight up topped out and pulled the nose, way the hell and gone. Later she told me the G-forces caused her to grey out. Still, she came back at the third su-29 right out of the sun like an avenging angel. Two had gone down, the other was making its fastest time to their side of the sky, while the pilot kept yelling “Tovarish, I no Amerikanski air space, over and over again till he was certain she wouldn’t kill him too. Both Russian pilot’s had good chutes and were picked up by one of the destroyers on picket duty. The Soviets, very quietly got their two pilots back. She laughed when her CO criticized her. Her comments? “They were in the airspace I’d been charged with defending. What did you expect me to do? Ask them to take me out on a date? Her CO laughed so hard he gave up on chewing her out. Instead she received a commendation.”

“On our way from Moffett to Miramar we went by way of the Fort Irwin kill box. She lured the Marine Opposing Force into a bad situation, popped up to 40 thousand feet nosed over then she rolled over in the direction of the A4M’s turned at the top; pointed her nose down and then lit the Marine op force up like a Christmas tree. She “hit” each of them with AAMRAMs and sidewinders. Then she decided to kill them, again, this time with guns. The film from the gun camera shows she hit both of her targets with 20 mike-mike, then she killed them both all over again. She then split the space between them, closed on them and went to afterburner just as she was threading the needle. Burned the hell out of the A4M’s paint jobs, if you don’t believe me, just take a look at the Skyhawks on the flight line in her bivouac area. Parked next to them is her F-4, all nice and shiny. Two Soviet flags, and her two Marine Corps pilots painted four Marine Corps flags for her kills. You might have gotten away with your little sideline business; but the moment you killed those babies… well She’s planning on you dancing Danny Deever. She is a killer. I heard her say if she could save one child by doing it, she’d take you out back and kill you herself, probably with her K-Bar. I’ve seen the evidence. You’re a dead man. Jim I wish I could help you, I really do. You’ll never hear her raise her voice. About the only thing she and I agree on is Honor. If you’re offered a deal you’d better take it. Especially if she drops the death penalty charge. Of course it’s your choice. I know we’ve had our differences, but we both wear the blue suit. Come on, I have to escort you to the court. She’s got armed fleet Marines all over and around this hearing. I almost wish she’d become a jarhead. When most girls had pictures of the Beatles on their bedroom walls, she had three poster sized pictures. Albert Einstein, George Patton, and Chesty Puller. She thinks like a Marine, like one of those who lead the march out of Chosan Reservoir. Hell, she’s even on track to equal his number of medals. I know he is one of her favorite General Officers. Take a deep breath, blow it out. Okay, one more time, deep breath.” He then signaled the Marine guards to open the doors.

My first impression of Jim Lewis was of a weasel; a pasty faced, anorexic, weasel. He was scared; almost to peeing in his pants scared. I wondered what Daddy had said to him. As cold as I could make my voice I turned to Dad. “Bailiff, swear in the tribunal and witnesses.”

“Everyone in the room, please rise and raise your right hands. Do each and every one of you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?” This was followed by everyone answering yes.

“Mr. Prosecutor, have you provided a copy of the charges against General Lewis to the defense advocates?”

“Yes Ma’am before 1700 yesterday.”

“Major Hopkinson, have you reviewed the charge sheet with General Lewis?”

“Yes Ma’am.”

“I will remind everyone that that this is not a trial. This is much like a Grand Jury in the Civilian world, except in this. This Board can accept a guilty plea, and then sentence is mandatory under the Uniform Code of Military Justice. There is a presumption of innocence for the defendant. These proceedings will be videotaped as evidence to be used in the courts martial, if any, and constitute part of the official records of this hearing. This hearing satisfies the requirements of Article 32 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice, and will serve as the basis for a Courts Martial, if in the opinion of this Board, the specifications are proven to be substantially true to a simple majority of the Officers of the Board. I will cast a vote only in the case of a tie. Bailiff, please read the specifications against Major General James Lewis:”

The bailiff stood before me and read.

“Specification One: Major General James Lewis did knowingly approve of and participate in collusion. To wit, having an operational aircraft routinely stripped for parts; a Hanger Queen in the parlance of air crew. Specifics Galaxy C-5A Tail Number 68-0218 Records to subpoena: Maintenance Logs, Parts orders. Bank accounts of General Lewis, and John Does to be named.

“Specification Two: Major General James Lewis knowingly Sent Galaxy 68-0218 on a critical Mission knowing non-standard parts were routinely used to allow specified aircraft to maintain an appearance of airworthiness. These actions lead directly to the deaths of 138 persons. Of that number, 35 were Defense Attaché and other Embassy Officials. Another 75 of the dead were orphan children. American citizens entrusted to the care of the United States Air Force. 28 of the dead were Air Crew, military and civilian volunteers who responded to help care for the babies and children. Many others have been badly hurt.”

“Specification Three: Major General James Lewis then knowingly tried to cover up specifications one and two.”

“Specification Four: Major General James Lewis is charged with Conduct Unbecoming an Officer, see Specifications one through three.”

“Specification Five: Major General James Lewis routinely treated women under his command in a lewd and lascivious manner. These actions include but are not limited to unwanted physical contact with the victims; routine sexual assaults against women in his chain of command. At least one allegation of rape with violence. Two cases of simple rape. Innuendos aimed at women in his presence, with and without others present. These actions, under the Uniform Code of Military Justice constitute Conduct Unbecoming an Officer, with special circumstances, to wit: the charges of rape with violence. The special circumstances make this a capital crime, punishable by death.

“Specification Six: General James Lewis profiteered from Specifications One through Three.” See Bank accounts of General James Lewis, and other John Does.

The Bailiff sat down, looking at Major General James Lewis with sad mournful eyes.

As coldly as I could, I just looked at Major General Lewis for a minute or two; “Is the defendant ready to answer these charges?”

Lewis and his trial advocates asked for a short recess to discuss the specifications one more time.

Later I’d hear what Cindy saw and heard. Cindy was seated right behind the Defense table; accidently on purpose. She could feel the fear in his voice, she said she could even smell it. A sickly sweet musky odor. Surprisingly, he admitted that all the charges were true. He went so far as to tell them he’d hoped the plane would come apart over deep water, where even Navy divers would not be able to find the wreckage.

Lewis whispered something to his Advocates. The three men had heated words, finally, the Chief Advocate asked if the President of the Board could meet with General Lewis and his advocates, in chambers.

I adjourned for half an hour. I asked Captain Camacho, and Lieutenant Al Reynolds to join me there, with the recording equipment.

I walked to my office then sent for General Lewis, and his advocates. I let his lawyer broach the subject of a plea. I asked what he had in mind. He then pointed to the list of specifications; making the claim I would not be able to prove any of it. I stopped him for a moment and called Captain Joyce Sullivan to join us.

I asked her if she, and others, were prepared to provide testimony on the Conduct Unbecoming section five, and the special circumstance of rape.

I asked if she was willing to testify to the truth of the specification in open court; she answered affirmatively. I asked about the rape charges and she claimed to know three women who were raped by General Lewis, and all would love to have the chance to testify at the Court Martial proceedings. I thanked her, excused her, and returned my attention to Lewis and his Advocates.

“Gentlemen, I can prove each and every charge specified beyond all reasonable doubt. What is there to discuss? He caused the death of babies, small children, volunteers, Defense attaches and air crew, air crew who would have been critical to the hearings had General Lewis not been the subject of an ongoing CID investigation. Their sworn statements are enough to hang him, in, and of, themselves. I ask you again, why did you want to see me? No more playing games. I’ve not been shown any contradictory or exculpable information.”

“General, we would like to enter a guilty plea to some of the specifications, but not to sections two and five. What are you willing to offer?”

“Willing? Who do you think you’re talking to? A first year law student?”

“But you’ve got to give something if you want a guilty plea.”

“Major Hopkins, I don’t have to give anything. Personally, I want to be there when the trap door is released and your defendant hangs by the neck until dead. But that’s my personal wish based on the crap I’ve had to wade through in preparation for this Article 32 hearing. Tangentially, it is the reason for the video recording. I want proof that I treated General Lewis fairly. My personal opinions will not be the grounds for a dismissal.”

“And to seal the deal, I’ve a witness who overheard the General, in a public venue, talking about some of these specifications. As you know, that would constitute Hearsay evidence, and in a civilian court would be thrown out. In an Article 32 hearing, hearsay is admissible. What I will do is drop the witness who heard him.”

“Captain Camacho, what are your thoughts?

“General, what if we take the death penalty off of Sections Two and Five, for any and all deaths that have occurred up until the time he pleads Guilty?”

“But most of the dead were just gooks, I should get a medal for killing them, especially since I killed them before they could grow enough to kill one of us!”

“General, shut up, Gentlemen, muzzle your client before he talks himself into a grave. General, speak only through your advocates. Another outburst like that and I’ll add another specification which carries the death penalty. I will also ask competent authority to try, regardless of today’s discussions Article five, with particular emphasis on the charge of rape. I will suggest, strongly that the penalty be death.” Lewis turned white at my words.

I sighed.

“Gentlemen, I will accept a guilty plea of all counts, excepting sections two, five, and six, but section two will be modified only as far as concerns the death penalty, which will be removed for all deaths prior to 1100 hours today. That is assuming a higher authority does not overrule on any leniency at all. Is that acceptable?”

“General, if that’s the best, I’m tempted to take my chances before a higher court.”

“Major, that is your defendant’s prerogative, talk it over with him. I will remind you, the General is still the subject of an ongoing CID investigation. Had I any time to spare for this matter, I’d wait another two or three weeks, until their investigation is done. I’d also line up his victims in specification five. Then Article Six would be included.”

“Consider this. I’m a police officer by training. I know how to investigate. I read people for fun. I knew the officer causing the grounding of the C-5’s 15 minutes after I began looking into things. An hour later I had a damned near airtight case on Section one, Section two, and Section three. Two hours later the other specifications were established to my satisfaction. My legal team has been busting its ass putting it all together, and lining up witnesses. Until I am done investigating I won’t guarantee more charges will not be filed, even if you were to convince the Board of the defendant’s innocence, I have ordered the General’s quarters, his office, and his work spaces sealed. CID, and I will go through his files and take testimony from everyone who has worked for him. By that time, he will be in CONUS.

Regardless, his words in this discussion demonstrate his complete incompetency to handle the evacuation of American citizens from Vietnam. Regardless of any Article 32 hearing or courts martial James Lewis will never hold a command position again. At this time, I want to speak to your Advocates in private General.”

“Lieutenant, please turn off the recording equipment until we reconvene in open session. Thank you. You and Captain Camacho are dismissed until I reconvene the Board.”

I turned to the Marine Sergeant. “Please take General Lewis back to the waiting room. Same rules as before, he is to leave that room only to use the bathroom. One Marine is to watch the General at all times. I’d hate for him to take the honorable way out. General Lewis may meet with his advocates in private. Sentries are to be posted outside his meeting with the Advocates. ”

“Major? Captain? It’s just us now. I realize it’s “contrary to good military discipline,” but when we are in chambers please, call me Beth. What are your thoughts?”

“Smiling, Major Hopkins answered “I’m Ted, my associate is Larry. Do you play poker Ma’am?”

“I think I’ve played maybe two or three times, why?”

“You’d be good at it. You haven’t broken your coldly professional demeanor once.

I smiled. “Before you start complimenting me, I do have additional credentials you should be aware of.” I passed the notebook with the letter in a plastic slip sheet. I assume it was either my Dad, or Janet, but a second plastic slip sheet contained my citations and awards. Areas of my life were quickly becoming public knowledge, against my personal preferences.

“Oh My God. Not only are you incredibly talented, combat tested, and a stone cold bitch to negotiate with, you’re backed up by the entire Cabinet, the entire Pentagon, and you are the personal choice of the President of the United States.”

“Well, there are some who don’t think I’m the one for the job,” I said laughing. “James Lewis is probably one of them. Like I said, you deserved to know who I am. I could just shoot the son of a bitch, but I'd prefer to avoid that. Make no mistake though; I could convene a summary court martial. I am empowered to do just that, if in my judgment, it will speed up getting those kids out, AT ALL. We all know what the outcome of that would be. What do you think would be equitable?”

Captain Gregor spoke up. “I sure as hell would like to see that son of a bitch swinging from the end of a rope. I was about to walk out of your court General.”

“Beth, you’re holding all the aces. I’ve been hearing more than hints around the base of some of the problems. There’s even other things the bastard’s guilty of. I’d prefer to use the normal channels, and I can wait. After reading your orders, you can’t. He’s over a barrel. I agree with your proposition, and would ask you to drop, without prejudice Articles five and six. I know that’s the heart of the CID investigation. He gets a life sentence now, subject to review, and the way is open to nail him in other ways as they come to light.”

"I can live with that. My only hesitancy comes from the appearance of “Justice delayed is justice denied.” The women he abused, AND the abuse he gave to the arresting MP’s must not be allowed to go unrecognized and unpunished. Come on, let’s give him the bad news."

I banged the gavel down on the table. “This hearing is ready to hear the Defendant’s plea at this time.”

“Ma’am, I am directed to plead guilty on sections one through 4 if the Board will agree to the term on section two and section five as we discussed in chambers. That is:”

”Guilty on all specifications of Section One.”

“Guilty on all specifications of Section three.”

“Guilty on all specifications of Section four.”

“Not Guilty on specification five.”

“Not Guilty on specification six.”

“Guilty on Section 2, as agreed. The death penalty shall be waived in this case as pertains to all deaths prior to this time and date.”

“The Board is recessed to consider your motion.”

I banged the gavel down on the table.

The five of us went off to a side room. Someone had thoughtfully prepared coffee, soft drinks, and snacks. I grabbed a Tab, and sat down at the table.

“Well Gentlemen, what is your pleasure?”

“General, do you always deal with issues this quick?”

“That’s what they tell me.”

“I’d surely thought this was going to kill my day. I’ve been here less than an hour and you’ve got that fish ready to jump right into your net, General.”

“General, it’s all in the bait you use. Earlier yesterday I found the source of the blockage on getting children out of Vietnam. It was James Lewis. I’ve since learned the, who, what, when, where, and the why of it. Yesterday morning I asked the only direct American eyewitness of the C-5 accident what happened. I asked for his testimony, after removing the emotional content of it, I put that together with something else I heard, innocently. By noon I’d determined this Article 32 hearing was required.”

“I’m already convinced of the facts of this case. If he didn’t plead out I’m certain each of the facts would prove him guilty of all counts.”

“So, anyone else?”

“It’s not germane to the subject, but I’d surely like to see ya’all in action.”

“You may get your wish. That’s one of the reasons I’m here. There is speculation that I might need to go in and get someone out of a free fire zone.”

“Ma’am, I really don’t want to argue with you, but you’re above all that now. You’ve already cleared the way to getting those kids out of there. You really don’t need to be in combat.”

“Spoken like a true Marine?” I smiled at him. “Yeah, I know, I’m the “weaker” sex. But, in three years I have not lost a single patient that was alive when I got there. If one of the personnel under my authority needs medical help or extraction I will get it to them, and I will get them out. No one will be left behind. Don’t get between me and someone I’m trying to rescue. It would almost certainly be fatal.” I took a deep breath. “Please pardon me. I most certainly do not want you to think I’m going to just jump in. Obviously, if I don’t have to, I won’t. I’ve just had my fill for the day dealing with Neanderthals, not that I’d include any of you in that Admiral Harris. It’s a hell of a long trip out here and I’m cranky.”

“No Worry’s Ma’am. I do understand Jet Lag. I’m impressed as hell with you, I suppose what I was trying to express is you have now reached a rank that, by necessity lift’s you up, over the fight. Because it’s only there you can see how all the information you’ve been told relates to the real world.”

“Admiral, I would love to sit with you sometime soon, and listen to your lessons, it’s something I’m sure I need to learn. I grew up next to Camp Pendleton. It’s no secret my Daddy and Momma adopted me. My birth father was a Marine, and I grew up hearing about Chesty Puller.” I looked over at General Clayton “One of my favorite Marines was Chesty Puller.”

“Levi, Tim, your thoughts on the case? Admiral Harris, I would like to talk more about anything you want. I am not dismissing anything you say. One of the reasons I’m here is I KNOW I can make mistakes and can be wrong. I will not dismiss any critique or lesson. It’s one way I learn. I’d also like to talk about Tan Son Nhut later today if you are available. I’m flying in there tomorrow, I have to meet with our ambassador.”

All four began laughing. General Clayton summed it up, “Good luck with that; the man’s a blivet.”

“A Blivet? What’s that?”

Tim answered for the four of them, “It’s a popular term right now. A Blivet is sixty pounds of manure in a fifty pound bag.”

I couldn’t help snickering, “Oh.” Everyone else laughed.

“General, you already know my thoughts. You’ve mastered this case, and its management.”

“Admiral, do you have any more to add?”

“No Ma’am.”

Does anyone desire written ballots, or are you comfortable with a show of hands?”

“Hands, I’d like to get back to my plans for the day.”

“Yeah, you just want another round of Golf.”

“Yeah, and if you want to join me, I’ll whip your Yankee ass again!”

“All in favor of accepting the plea offered by the defense?” Every one raised their hands.

“Do we need to discuss the sentencing? By their agreement, the General’s advocates have agreed to a life sentence. Any dissent to that?”

I rapped on the table.

“This Board will come to order?”

“This Board, by unanimous decision, has agreed to accept the plea and terms as offered by the Defense. Would the Defendant please rise?”

“James Lewis, in accordance with your plea agreement, this Board accepts your plea of guilty on specifications one through four. Count five, and Count six are dismissed, without prejudice. Mr. Lewis that means some other board, or court may indict you and convict you on the charge of profiteering, rape, and on the charge of Conduct Unbecoming of an Officer, including the special circumstance of rape.”

“Regarding Specification two. In accordance with the meeting between myself and the defendant, you will not be subject to the death penalty. That abeyance applies ONLY to deaths which have occurred prior to this date. That means you may still be tried, by a Court Martial, for the Capital Crime of murder on any future death, determined to be caused by your actions.”

"You are hereby stripped of all rank and privileges. You forfeit all monies, and retirement. You are sentenced to life without parole. You will be sent to a place of confinement where you will be held until suitable transportation is available to take you back to CONUS, and the Federal Penitentiary at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas."

“Bailiff, please take the prisoner away. I will note, for the record, the plea agreement, and the actions of this Board have been video-taped, and a transcript of the video, as well as the raw footage of Mr. Lewis’ arrest, and the actions of this Board will be part of the record of the action of this Article 32 Board. Article five and Article six remain open, and will be referred to CID for further investigation and prosecution.”

“This Board is dismissed.”

I watched as a broken man was lead from the courtroom.

I felt nothing for the man. What I felt was an intense sense of urgency. I had so much to do.

Chapter Eighteen: Enabling Babylift

4/7/75

I turned to Tim, “Can you get those maintenance people here as soon as possible?”

Tim smiled, “they’ll be here by midnight. You might be able to start your airlift out tomorrow, certainly the day after.”

“And Beth, you did a very good job. I know you didn’t like it, or want it. You would have done anything to have avoided it. That’s what command is all about; knowing what has to be done and then doing it to the best of our abilities, regardless the personal price we pay. I suspect that’s an area you don’t have much experience with yet. Let me try to explain another way. As a doctor, you do your very best, each and every time. Sometimes you have to remove a leg, or an arm. You know your patient is going through a horrible adjustment. But removing that leg is necessary. If you don’t, your patient is going to either bleed out or the leg will develop gangrene. In other words, it hurts like hell, but you have to do it.

General Dick Clayton joined the conversation “Listen to your instincts, and listen to your father. He’s one hell of a man. If he wanted to I’d take him in the corps with maybe another star to boot, I’d take you too, but you’d have to drop a star or two. I’m sorry, that is just the way the Corps is, Hell I’d take you in as a Brigadier in a heartbeat — you would be the highest ranked woman Marine. Your Father is uncannily lucky, like you are. He’s incredible disciplined, which I strongly suspect you are. He’s wise. You need to develop that wisdom. You are already wise beyond your years but you’ve still got a ways to go.”

“Would you gentlemen like to join me for lunch? I looked up and Amy was smiling at me, “Uh, I’ve an apprentice today, if you don’t mind.” The two Admiral’s, Tim, and General Clayton graciously accepted my invitation. Of course, that meant imposing on Levi and his chef, again.”

The three officers treated Amy like a princess. It was clear they knew her well. It also helped me out. I had forgotten Amy when I extended the invitation to lunch. They took it in stride, and complimented Amy on her new “uniform,” and, I found out, the “Angels,” idea originally was Amy’s. There was a depth to Amy I would need to be careful of. It’s so easy to disregard kids. This was an example of why that is a bad idea.”

[As I look back on this, It struck me, I had never thought of it before; but so much of what I did, and accomplished happened immediately before a meal, during a meal, immediately after a meal, or over a snack. It seems to be a recurring them in my life back then.]

It was a little after 1300 hours when Amy and I were tracked down by Joyce. “Boss,” she grinned at me, “Your staff is awaiting you for your 1330 staff meeting.”

“Why the big grin Joyce? Is something going on?”

“Yes Beth, you might say that. Ted asked me not to tell you beforehand, but, yes, I will confirm that “something is going on, we need to get you in your white straightjacket.” Joyce had brought my white medical dress uniform, and had apparently picked up a complete set of badges, ribbons, and insignia. All I had to do was change.

Have I mentioned I really don’t like the whole white dress/pantyhose/shoes thing? I would have been happy with just my lab coat. But no; Joyce, apparently in collusion with the rest of my staff, had determined I would be properly attired, no matter what I wanted.

I walked into my office, changed, and emerged almost a twin of Amy. Two (or more) could play this game. I’d brushed my hair out and into a pony tail. I changed my makeup a tiny bit. A little too much mascara, a bit more blush, and a brighter shade of lipstick. I covered my ribbons with a light weight lab coat. When I was done, I looked to be 15, or less. All I needed were braces! Joyce almost fell down, she was laughing so hard when she saw me. I asked her to bring my khakis, and boots; I’d almost certainly want to change back; the sooner the better. Amy thought I looked “really neat.” I went right up to Lieutenant Darnell Johnson and all he saw was two young girls. Everything else was wiped out of his perception.

“LT, you ready to go to the Medical Center? I’ve a thirteen thirty hours staff meeting.”

“uh Ma’am?? Yes Ma’am, Sorry Ma’am.” He escorted me out to my jeep, and Joyce, Amy, and I climbed into the back seat.

“Hey LT, where’s the Boss? I thought we were on her detail.”

“Hush Willans, she’s” and he pointed to the back seat.

Willans thought he was pointing to the building, “Okay LT, someone else staying with her?”

“Willans, she’s in the back seat.” Willans took a closer look and tried to sit at attention while driving.

“Yes sir, I see now.”

Joyce was laughing so hard she couldn’t breathe.

“Hey LT, is this going to be a problem?”

“uh, I don’t think so Ma’am. It’s just you look so, uh, you look so young!”

“Thank you Darnell, a lady likes to know people notice.”

“Ma’am, what I meant is you look, uh, too young to be in the military.”

“How sweet of you to say so, thanks.” By this time I’m laughing almost as hard as Joyce. Even Amy figured out the joke and was giggling.

The Lieutenant just turned around in his seat and kind of hunkered down.

When we arrived at the hospital I spoke to the lieutenant. “LT, before I go in. I need you to do some things for me. Could you to find some of my staff? I need Captain Fred Blanton, my Marine pilots; Captain Joe Foster, call sign Turk and Captain Ted Schultz, call sign Snoopy, Commander Don Ramsey, and Major Jack Edwards. I need them to meet me at 1630, my office. If they can’t make it, take down their locations and a phone nearby. I need Jack Edwards soonest. He needs to order three F4’s full combat loads, ground and air, and secure the services of two whizzos.”

“Please ask Admiral Roberts, Captain Cobb and General Tyner and General Baker with their XOs at that 1630 meeting. Present my sincere apologies, but can we use Admiral Robert’s Dining table and chef? If possible I’d like to have dinner catered for the Hospital staff. Whatever he has on hand is fine.”

“Thanks LT, I should be finished here by 1600, so if you need some target practice time, here’s your chance. And LT, sorry to tease you so badly, but you left yourself so wide open.”

Amy, Joyce, and I entered the hospital, and got directions to the conference room. There was a candy counter, so I spent a nickel on some gum, I’d want it when I was in the air tomorrow. I popped a couple of pieces in my mouth and offered some to Amy. I told her where we would be and asked her to get me a washcloth. I started chewing, loudly. Joyce was laughing again. At first no one noticed me. Then the whispers started; especially after I took the chair at the end of the conference table.

Ted noticed me and began laughing. “Ladies and Gentlemen, let me introduce you to Lieutenant General Linda Elizabeth Pruett.” And Ted sat down on the other side of me from Cindy.”

“You’re looking rather fresh and youthful today,” Cindy said. She leaned close and whispered to me, “I don’t know why, but that look is just so damn sexy on you.”

The room broke out in applause. I took out the gum, wrapped it up in some paper and spoke up. I looked at Ted “So, what's going on?”

“Your patient is resting peacefully, some might say beatifically. He's got this silly grin and has been telling everyone how he “went to the Quickie Mart to rob it in order to get some heroin.” The Angel touched him and took the plastic pistol from him. Then she laid hands on him, put his shoulder back in place and touched him again. Then she prayed God would make him clean and sober.”

“Here’s where it really gets strange. We x-rayed his shoulder. Everything looked good. There was a break, but it looked to be fully healed. If you broke it then you sure as anything healed him. There's all kinds of deep tissue damage, and swelling like you’d expect with a clavicle break, but it all looks 5 days to a week old. We're holding him for 72 hours observation. He specifically asked that we not administer any narcotic pain medicine. Aspirin is fine. He says he feels great! “The Angel Healed Me.” “He uses that phrase over and over. So now you’re a healer, in more than just the medical way!” He handed me the X-ray film, and I stood to put it up to a light box. The break was clearly there, but it was also clearly, fully healed.

I sat down hard. “Wow! Please, send someone up and tell him I’m asking that he not talk so much about attempting armed robbery or heroin. I’ve got to stop by and see him.”

Amy, found me and I wiped the excess makeup off, I undid my ponytail and wrapped it back up in the bun I normally wore while in uniform and returned to my real age (well official age, more or less). Amy took a seat behind me, and looked ready to take notes.

“Ted, let me introduce you to Amy Tyner, one of my “Angels in Training.” Amy, this is General Ted Stevens. Amy, is named after my sister who died the same day she was born. She speaks to Amy all the time. Amy is also the daughter of my Godfather Major General Tim Tyner USAF. Amy, this is General Ted.”

I turned back to the room. We were all seated around a big table. I asked Amy to write down their names, then have them write down their specialty, and the phone number they can be reached at.

“Amy will be by taking down your names, please tell her your specialty, and phone number. Please be polite and helpful to her. She was at the scene of this morning's activities.”

“Good afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen. My name is Lieutenant General Beth Pruett, M.D., USAF.

“I apologize for the “youthful look.” I was told Ted was waiting for me, and my secretary refused to tell me what was going on, but insisted I needed to wear medical whites. Her non-stop, one might say hysterical laughter caused me to be cautious. Ted has a wicked sense of humor. I decided I’d twin up with my apprentice. This is Amy Tyner. If you haven’t been told yet, a number girls have decided they would be the “Angel of the Bay’s” apprentices. I’m from the San Francisco Bay area of California where I’ve had a number of high profile rescues over the past few years, and have been dubbed, “the Angel of the Bay.” That publicity has not been welcomed by me or my family. These girls will be wearing nurse’s whites with a cadet insignia. You may ask them for help in any capacity you believe age appropriate. They’re here to help, they want to help, so please let them. But, please don’t misuse them.”

“I’ve found it helps to pass around my appointment letter. Please leave it in the plastic protector. As it goes around, I’d like to tell you a bit about me.”

“First, I am a Doctor of Medicine, I am board certified in Pain Management, Trauma, and Emergency Services, which I have taught at the VA hospital in San Diego for the last year or so. I am a graduate of the Universities of California, plural. I hold a Master’s Degree in Public Health from Stanford University. I am a police officer for Palo Alto, California, and a graduate of the San Francisco, California police academy. I am an Air Force Pararescue Jumper, a P.J. I am also a certified EMT II. I am a registered nurse, having completed all my boards in California. I am a master parachutist, with more than one hundred and fifty jumps, and am a graduate of the Advanced Parachute training program of the US army at Fort Benning, Georgia. I am a graduate of the Combat Medic program at Fort Sam Houston, Texas. I am also a graduate of the US Navy’s advanced diver and UDT schools. I am certified as a rescue diver. I am a graduate of the US Marine Corps Alpine training school and I am an F-4 fighter pilot; I am credited with two kills. I do not make that claim, I am under orders to not talk about it. Were it true, I hasten to add, the two Soviet pilots survived bailing out of their SU-29s.”

“I know that sounds like a lot; I’m sure I’ve forgotten something. I know Ted has it all written up somewhere, and if you ask I’m sure he’ll fill in the cracks. It has often felt like twenty years of training, in reality it was all completed in the last six years. Many of the training programs I’ve graduated from have overlapping training requirements; that saved a lot of time.”

“Why was I chosen? Well, my training, and certifications are the biggest part of it. The rest is my practical experience. I’ve a reputation for keeping a cool head when everything around me is going to hell. Over the past two years I’ve averaged 22 rescues per month. I’m very proud of the fact that 98% of all the patients I’ve reached before they died have made it to the ER alive and stable. You are welcome to discuss with Ted how many patients I’ve operated on, it’s several hundred. I know women are not supposed to be in combat, things sometimes happen that don’t stop and ask whether you are a man or a woman. I am a woman who has been in combat. I hold the Silver Star, with “V” device, the Order of California, the Purple Heart, and the Legion of Merit Medals. I’ve been wounded, and I’ve killed.”

“This place will start getting busy tomorrow. We will bring over five hundred children, infants and toddlers out of Vietnam tomorrow. The next day we will bring in over one thousand. In the next few months we will evacuate over one hundred thousand children, women, and men from Vietnam and Cambodia.”

“My first two C-5a's will be leaving in the morning for Saigon, Tan Son Nhut Airport. That means Tomorrow night YOU will need to triage 500 plus children, separate each according to their medical condition. Then they will need to be cared for. That means at minimum a bottle of milk, formula if necessary, cookies and milk for the older ones.

“You are the medical leaders of Guam. I understand there’s been some friction. That’s understandable. I know there has been some us versus them bickering already. Let me make one thing perfectly clear. I now command every military medical facility on this island; my orders authorize me to take command of any asset, in Southeast Asia. Make no mistake I am the highest ranking medical officer West of the Continental United States. My Chief of Staff is Major General Tim Tyner. My on-site commander is Brigadier General Ted Stevens. My Chief of Medicine is Colonel Terry Williams M.D. My chief of nursing is Major Cindy Hayes. My principle advisor is Major General Rex, “Chip” Pruett. Yes, General Pruett is my father, so you don’t need to spend any time trying to figure that out!” That got a few titters and giggles. “He is also a pilot, and former instructor at the War College.”

“There is a substantial reason these five make up my command team. I’ve worked with Cindy, Terry, and Ted for years. I have the utmost confidence in them. These two facilities have got to merge. There is no other choice. I will go over the list Amy is collecting. Ted, Chip, Terry, and Cindy will try to leave existing command structures in place. There will be times where you will be reassigned. This will not be because one of us doesn’t like you. We don’t even know you yet! Where we need help, YOU MUST TELL ME. My staff knows I have two constants. I will trust anyone until they break that trust; and second I demand perfection. Please, don't cross me. It would not be a good thing.”

“I had a secondary reason for appearing too young to drive a car. To make the point: I look young, I am young; but appearances can be deceptive. If you look at my ID you will find I am 26 years old. I could go on with qualifications. Quite simply I trained to be THE BEST PJ and the best flight surgeon in the Air Force. I’m told I’m the best trained and most experienced Doctor who met all the requirements the Pentagon and Oval office demanded. Overnight on April fourth the decision was made to pull me in from private practice and the National Guard into the regular Air Force. I did not have the luxury of being federalized. I was drafted.” There were people whispering as the letter got to them. “I suspect it’s one of the few documents of its kind. Some high powered people selected me. They don’t care what my age is. What they looked for is who had the experience to get this job done. Extensive experience in emergency medicine and Pararescue. I am new to my rank. I have protested my promotion because I feel too young. It did me no good, and should you make the same protest I’m afraid it will do neither of us any good. If I step on someone's toes, please be patient. Tell me about it. Write me a note, anonymously if you have to. I’ll apologize, publically, if needs be. Talk to me. If I agree I will immediately make what changes are needed. Make a decent case and you'll probably convince me.”

“I've Known Ted Stevens for what seems like forever. He is the reason I'm a doctor today. He will also be responsible for most bureaucratic issues.”

“I've never understood a lot of the political infighting I've seen. Pushing and pulling patients around to make some kind of point? That's not going to work here. I’d like to have an absolute open door policy. I can’t do that. Because of the entire gamut of programs I've had dumped into my lap since 0800 hours three days ago, my time is stretched very, very thin. I won't be around the hospital as much as I thought. I will be spending my time all over South East Asia.”

I need this hospital to operate without a lot of hands on by me. For those who don't know it, yesterday I landed about 0730. I discovered by 1000 the principle reason the first C5 crashed. I initiated Article 32 proceedings against Major General James Lewis. This morning, Mister Lewis pled guilty to a number of charges and is waiting transportation to a place of confinement in the Federal Prison System, for life. After removing Mr. Lewis from command, I have put together a core team of investigators. If there is ANY criminal malfeasance holding up getting those babies, and other refugees out of Vietnam it will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

As far as this facility goes, If there’s something needing done and you see someone standing around, put him or her to work. All personnel assigned to the hospital or field hospital has or will have orders explicitly telling them to help wherever needed.”

“Now I sound like the commandant of a Gulag. If so, I’m sorry. I have one goal, get refugees out. I'm asking you to sign on to doing that. They were fathered by GI’s, and abandoned in Vietnam. You need to know this task has become terribly political. After the Accords went into effect Vietnam was forgotten. Suddenly, Saigon is going to fall and it has become a “moral imperative” to repatriate those forgotten children.”

Do we have a chalkboard? Or overhead projector? (someone went out and brought in an overhead).

What are the problems that I need to deal with? Throw out your ideas please. Problems were brought up almost by group consent.

Lack of housing.

Lack of baby products of all kinds.

Not enough pediatricians.

No quarantine area for sick babies.

Nobody to take care of the babies.

Not enough people here to take care of tommorrow's flights.

Do we have a dietician on staff? Thank GOD!

No facilities for refugees.

Command Structures

“What can we do? Is there a warehouse associated with the hospital? Good, Doctor's you have your main children’s ward. I'll speak to Admiral Roberts today, expect by tonight Seabees will be building multi stacked cribs. Additionally they should have sanitation, air conditioning, and heating provided.

Tables, for infants, if necessary put them into cardboard boxes (yes, put blankets down first).

I'll be sending an SOS to CONUS as soon as I leave here, with a List. Show of hands please. Anyone know where to find pediatricians? How many mothers or others with pediatric experience? Seventeen of those. Who has the most experience? Mothers, would you work together to work out a care plan? You can expect a number of Adults coming out of Vietnam with the babies. Work together please. Where's my aide when I need him? LT, find Fred soonest.

Most days either my aide or my confidential secretary will be at the hospital. If you need something, ask them for it. If it's on this Island we'll have the power to purchase it for this mission, and yes, if we purchase something we will pay a premium price for it - if needed. Please do NOT make enemies of the Chomorro people.

Mothers, I've a group of girls who met with me last night. Yes, the sleepover, I can still feel the sugar.” I will be asking those girls to volunteer to help you. I have good reason to believe they will work tirelessly. Amy is one of those girls. Turning to the mothers, “You are authorized purchase a nurse uniform, shoes, two pair of pantyhose or tights, and insignia for any girl who commits to working 2 — 4 hour shifts per week for a minimum of 4 weeks. Ted, talk with the schools, and get our “Angels” time off for school. Regular nursing staff, do you want to wear some alternative? It might make things less confusing. OR what would you have the girl’s wear? Do you have enough scrubs or khaki’s to give up whites? Again, if you need to, you are authorized to purchase two sets of khakis, or green or camouflage uniforms. Please, get together with Major Hayes and make a decision today. Ladies, please act like ladies, don’t horde. If you need to, wear BDU’s, same deal. Tomorrow night I’d like to see all heads of departments.”

“I’d like to reconvene this group 1 hour before the two C5’s arrive from Vietnam tomorrow night.”

Captain Cobb of Admiral Roberts’s staff will be putting out a request for volunteers. Ladies and gentlemen, you need to pace yourselves, it will be a tremendous temptation to work, “just one more hour.” I love babies, I've three sisters here on Guam. I’ve had almost no time for them since landing on Guam, and I come from a long line of mothers. You're going to have to pace yourselves and work in your volunteers. Also, Ted, if these ladies need help, and ANYONE in the hospital is free, they are to work for the mothers.”

“I'm really sorry everyone, but they drafted me to play Captain Blye, I've GOT to have the hospital working efficiently. Otherwise, it's “Walk the Plank.” I'd love to be in my civilian role, I'm a still little mad that Ted nominated me for this position.

If a space is not being used be sure General Stevens knows about it. I would hope to have one wing of the hospital that can be used for babies.

We also need clean play areas, changing tables, play pens bottles, etc... Mother's team. Can you give General Ted a dream list immediately after this meeting?

Medical Department, what do you see needing. Make me a list. Pharmacists, what do you need? I'd like pertussis, smallpox, polio, whooping cough, etc... Immunizations appropriate to age in CONUS before they leave here.

Workflow:

Record Keeping: Upon arrival each baby will be given a unique name band, hospital ID number, and have footprints and fingerprints/palm prints recorded. Also, right then and there get a Polaroid picture of the child with their ID number. Ted, have someone go to the PX and purchase all the Polaroid film they have, make sure we have a couple of cameras, otherwise buy a couple, Also, take pictures on 35mm of the child with their ID clearly visible.

Get as much information as possible. Someday we will need to track a child. There may be cases where one or more people may claim parentage.

Bath and Triage

Housing or Quarantine

Immunizations

Feed, clothe, diaper, and repeat

“Any other issues? No? I've asked Admiral Roberts chef to prepare an early buffet dinner. I’m free until 1615, and will be available to anyone who wants to talk. I simply must leave here then. I'd like each of you to introduce yourself to me. This is your chance to tell me something you think I need to know.”

“We will have two C-5’s leaving for Vietnam, in the morning, estimated time of departure will be 0630. I will be flying an F-4 escort. I’d like two or three of you to volunteer. Cindy raised her hand, and my heart plummeted. So did one of the mothers to my pleasant surprise. Ladies, do you both have BDU’s? Thankfully they did. I turned back to the meeting. This brings me to a difficult decision I’ve reached though I did get input, and disagreement from some of my staff as we were traveling from California. Admiral Rogers, CINCPAC has reluctantly agreed with me. Each of you who is on a plane to Tan Son Nhut airport will carry, at bare minimum, a service pistol. This is a country falling apart. I am not asking you to fight; I simply don’t have the time to train you. But this is irrevocable. I want you to be able to try and defend those babies, and yourselves.”

“Make no mistake, if you find yourself unable to do so, then you are excused from that side of operations. I truly understand, and will respect you for your honesty. I will be certain nothing negative goes into your record. You see, I’ve had to do just that. The nightmares have faded, but they haven’t gone away. I had no choice. Through a series of events a suspected drug smuggler took my father hostage. I killed two men that night. The Air Force awarded a silver star, and the Purple Heart — yes, I was wounded. You will not be in that kind of environment if I can do anything to help it!”

The meeting broke up, and a 60 something formidable looking nurse was the first to introduce herself to me. Maggie Franklin was her name, and she wanted to thank me for opening combat up to women, and praise me for pushing forward the feminist agenda.

I couldn’t help from laughing a little bit. “You got that from what I said today? That’s not what I meant to say at all! God forbid! What I hoped to communicate was I found myself forced into a deplorable situation, and not the first time. The entire issue on women’s rights should certainly not be settled by my hour introductory presentation. I HATE hurting people. If I never found myself in a life threatening situation again I would be absolutely ecstatic! I agree it’s something that needs to be looked at, and resolved fairly and equitably. There is no reason one person should be paid more, or less, based on their plumbing.” Maggie seemed happy to get that much agreement from me, and I breathed a sigh of relief.

A young woman, Trish “Like President Nixon’s Daughter,” certainly no older than I was, wanted to know about why I’d come in dressed as a 15 year old. “I’ve known General Stevens for a long time. If he’s got something cooking I’ve learned to approach cautiously. My secretary, Joyce, couldn’t stop laughing when she relayed a request that I wear medical whites. It seemed wise to not be too recognizable. If my security team didn’t recognize me, I felt certain I’d have at least 30 seconds to size things up! I answered her with a laugh.

One of the doctor’s asked if I were a surgeon too. “Yes,” I answered. When I didn’t continue, he asked what kinds. “The VA tends to have older, mostly male patients. As you’d expect, I’ve seen more than my share of colon and prostate issues. The only field I’ve really tried to avoid is the brain. I don’t like mucking around in something the consistency and appearance of oatmeal. I don’t mind assisting, but I hate the real probability of changing who someone is, for reasons I can’t point too. I find it a challenge to do thoracic surgery; especially the heart.”

I spent the next hour fielding all kinds of questions, and was happy with the apparent level of buy-in by my staff in what I hoped to accomplish. 1615 hours and I climbed into my jeep for the short ride back to my temporary office.

Amy was still tagging along, and she was good company. She seldom complained about anything. My protective detail dropped us off at the Office Building Admiral Robert's office was in, and found my Dad in my office. “Amy, this is the end of the line today.” All I’ve got to do is office work then I’ll be home for dinner. Okay Honey?”

“Thank you for taking me with you. This has been one of my best days ever.” She turned to me and gave me a hug, and a peck on the cheek.

“Gunny, can you get my co-pilot here back with her other sisters?”

“Yes Ma’am.”

“Thank you Gunny.”

“Having fun?” Dad asked as I walked in.

“Honor First”

“Honor Last,” he responded

“Always Honor.”

“That bad?”

“Worse. Whoever came up with this Charlie Fox of an operation ought to be sainted or shot — maybe both. The Hospital may be a problem. I'm glad you are here. I'm calling Moonbeam.”

Joyce walked by, “his eminence himself?”

“What, oh yeah, could you put the call through Joyce. Yes, I'm sure he's either sleeping or getting ready for the day. I'd prefer he was sleeping.”

It took 22 minutes to get through to him. “Hi Beth, how are you enjoying being a Colonel?

“Why Jerry, how nice of you to call.”

“uh oh.”

“uh oh is right, you went back on our agreement. I read all about you sending a poor but honest police woman to South East Asia, and how YOU were responsible. If I get another ribbon in the mail the next time it comes I'll be giving orders for the invasion of California.”

Jerry Laughed. “I don't think a Colonel could do that.”

“Jerry, I agree with you. But you put things in motion. If you had left me alone, but NO let's grab Beth and ship her off to Guam. We'll make her a Colonel for the trouble. I lasted for less than a day as Colonel.”

“What did you do to get demoted?”

“I didn't”

“You didn't?”

“That's right Bubala”

“What's right?”

“I didn't get demoted, I got promoted.”

“Well, that's only a one more rank bump for you.”

“Think again Bubala”

“They gave you more than one star?”

“Several.”

……silence......

“Yes your imperialness, three stars. I'm reasonably sure I have enough fighters and bombers to make your office a pile of rubble.”

***hysterical laughter***

“That’s not the answer I was hoping for. There's a few little things I need Jerry. I figure you and the Republic of Confusion, err... California have a surplus, so... got a pen and paper?”

“Go ahead Beth, what do you need?”

“It's simple I need six months supplies for at least three thousand infant through 6 year old children. Probably tens of thousands of other refugees. Everything, the whole enchilada, food, nighties, diapers, rice, mattresses, soap, rice, bleach, formula, bottles, everything. Did I mention rice? I am looking at tens of thousands of refugees coming for dinner, and my cupboard is as empty as old Mother Hubbard’s.”

“Why don't you order it through military procurement?”

“Are you freaking high? I need this stuff Last Week. In the next three days would be okay, but then I'm out of everything. I'm stripping Guam like the locust of doom.”

I calmed down as much as I could. I was audibly weeping, “I need this stuff now. If I go through channels they'll laugh at me. There's not enough of anything on this island. If I don't get supplies tomorrow or the next day my only option will be to send babies and other refugees straight from Vietnam to California. I don't want to do that. I'd rather the babies were healthy and had their shots before transporting them on. I literally have no idea of how to take care of these babies with the supplies on hand.”

“Please Governor Brown, I need your help.”

“Beth, I'm sorry, I halfway thought this was a prank call, knowing you. You really need all that?”

“All that and more. I need 6000 ttp and polio inoculations, hell I need an entire pediatric hospital. You are literally the last hope for me.”

“Beth, I'll have something available for shipment at Moffett Tomorrow. More the next day, and then more next week.”

“Jerry, I’m not a politician. You were right in saying that. As I understand my role, they need a scapegoat. A Scapegoat who “just barely” meets the requirements. Unfortunately for them, I do not intend to fail. I never like threatening any one; it always makes me feel that somehow I’ve cheated. At first I thought you were part of the general BS surrounding this assignment. I’m still not convinced they needed a scapegoat. But you can bet on this: I will get those babies out. I will NOT be a stooge for any politician, Governor Brown, thank you very much.”

“Beth, you are one hell of a woman, I look forward to meeting you face to face.”

“If you get the supplies, I'll even take every damn ribbon you want to send.”

“You know, I won’t complain about any of your idiosyncrasies, especially “Governor Moonbeam.” You have earned the right to call me any damn thing you want. Would you be willing to join me for dinner when you return?”

“If you come through on what you’ve just promised, you can take me out to dinner whenever you please! You do know I’m engaged, don’t you?”

“That’s the story of my life, all the good ones are gone.” (I heard laughter from the governor’s end) “Hell, bring him along. I’ll see you soon.”

I turned to Joyce, “That went better than I’d hoped. He’s going to send at least three cargo planes full.”

“I was worried when you started leaking tears.”

1700 hours. After talking to “Jerry” I was emotionally spent. To the best of my knowledge everything was coming together for tomorrow’s flight. Inspectors were working on getting at least two Galaxies ready for flight in the morning. Amazingly, I had the evening to relax, visit with my sisters, and managed to get a good night’s sleep.

April 9, 1975

I was up at oh dark thirty getting ready to fly after five uninterrupted hours of sleep when Amy knocked on the door. She’d bribed one of the duty Marines to wake her as soon as I was up. She came in with the morning’s status report. Reflecting on it, I suppose it was a good thing it was Amy; the inspectors were now estimating late morning before finishing the first two inspections. I knocked on Daddy’s door, then stripped down to running gear. By the time I’d made it downstairs my detail was ready, and we ran, including a trip through Fun Town.

Fun Town was the shooting range. I was pleasantly surprised to find Cindy and Joyce both ran the trail with Daddy, then they had both showed up for target practice. Static and pop-up targets (to stress and “surprise” us, as if) scored the shooter’s accuracy. My detail’s shooting ability was better than I’d feared, though not as high as I’d like. Cindy and Joyce, as I’d expected, were able to hit the target, but would have normally barely “qualified.”

Accuracy came with practice. They would get better.

After breakfast I took advantage of the unplanned office time to meet with my staff and handle paperwork.

I really could get used to most of this, wait, I already said that. Tim Tyner of the Air Force, Levi Roberts from the Navy, General Baker of the Marine Corps, and their adjutants along with assorted aides sat down to lunch. As Levi asked a blessing on the food, I couldn’t help but marvel, again, that each of these men who were all part of an elite team had opened their ranks to me, and were working with (well technically for) me.

General David Baker of the Marines spoke up, “I’ve had two groups of 6 recon Marines on the flight line since 0530. They are carrying smgs (submachine guns).45’s, and M-16s. Two M-16s are heavy with scopes for distance work. The rifles are somewhat concealed. If someone really looks they’ll find them. The men have been practicing since last night, so they should look like genuine crew. You’ll be taking Turk and Snoopy along with you?”

“Yes sir, I’ll have them as a security element.”

Beth, I’d like you to take 4 more A6’s, along with you and your F-4s. That’s enough pilots to let each have a wingman, and will give you enough fighters to take out anything other than a concerted attack. Keep Snoopy and Turk as your alpha element. You might try some formation flying. For God’s sake Beth, if it goes in the toilet I want to strongly urge you and Chip to bug out. If a Lieutenant or Major General gets killed in Vietnam after the Peace Accords, everything and everyone you’ve touched is going to go down with you. Even that piece of offal Lewis may survive if two members of his Article 32 hearing go down. I know you and I didn’t get off on the right footing, I apologize.”

“One of my men overheard someone compare you to the Marines that hiked out of Chosan. I don’t know who said it, but they sure as hell got it right. When I first joined the Marine Corps, there were a lot of “Frozen Chosan” veterans. You’ve earned the right to hold your head up high even in their company. You showed that again twice yesterday. You handled your security detachment with skill and professionalism. You may have saved that young LT’s life and/or his career, and you did it with the minimum embarrassment to him. You could have screwed his career. Instead he’ll come out ahead, having learned from you. Then that damn fool kid at the Quickie Mart. My Marines saw you take down a man with a gun, with the minimum of fuss, and that kid may get the chance to become a man, and again you did it with the least amount of force. My Marines understand injuries, they SAW his broken clavicle, and they’ve heard the rumors already flying through the ranks. If you get hurt it’s going to hurt a lot of people.”

“I know David, believe me I know. But I’m supposed to be a leader, and have to, at least once, lead my people into what may be a combat zone.”

“Ma’am, you bring your pretty little backside home or I’ll come for you, and kick your ass all the way back to the coast; and no, I’m not entirely sure I could. But I’d be happy with you covering my back any day. I’ve heard you’re big on Honor Ma’am. You get it. I didn’t know that the first night. In retrospect I was an ass. I should have known. You are your Father’s Daughter, you proved it. I should have known.”

==========================

“Just because you’re flying in the morning, I’ll give you a couple of days, and then we run the combat course.”

“General, I agree with almost everything you’ve said. But I HAVE to make this trip this way. If I didn’t, everyone would question my ability and right to command. I’ve got to make this trip. You know I’m right.”

“Yeah, but I don’t have to like it,” he said with a gruff whisper in his voice.

I walked around the table and pulled him to his feet, and hugged him. Right there among the other general officers. It was a Kodak moment no one expected. General Baker blushed from his neck to the top of his shaved head. “I promise I’ll come home, one way or another.”

“I will be in an F-4 with Fred. My Dad will be in a second F-4, and Jack Edwards with be in a third, and a friend of Jack’s, Rob Penham call sign “Pinky” will be flying as Jack’s wingman. I thought of going in without missiles, but the racks will be filled for air-to-air, and air-to-ground, and carrying all the 20 millimeter rounds the plane will hold.”

This meal was much more to my taste, fried chicken, French fries, and Double Deck German chocolate cake. About 1230 I went to my office, pulled off the nylons and changed to Khaki’s and pulled on my flightsuit, and G-suit, strapped my .45 to my thigh and grabbed my helmet bag and went back to lunch for a second piece of Chocolate Cake. The chef sent out 8 baby bottles that had been frozen.

“Folks, I guess there’s little left to say, Captain Cobb has enough babies to fill both planes. AC130’s will start their racetrack at 1400, and CINCPAC sends his regards and two flights of A6’s will rendezvous with us just off the coast. We’ll have air superiority from 2 hours before landfall to an hour after the C5’s, and I leave.”

Dad came into the room, dressed to kill, and sat down to more chicken.

“I’m a damn fool, forgetting that little detail.” Dad grabbed two of the bottles and shoved them in the top pockets of my flightsuit. He gave two to Jack Edwards, and took two himself. “Do you have six more bottles for our poor Whizzos? They don’t have to be frozen.

“Beth, you got your diaper?”

“Daaad!”

“Well someone has to check these things out.” The room broke up in laughter.

“He ALWAYS eats before we go flying.”

“I keep telling you, you never know where your next meal will come from.”

“Admiral, will you have your chef save two pieces of that cake? Who knows? Maybe the whole cake if you can. I know I’m going to be hungry when I get back. Levi, your chef is magnificent.”

“Beth, just see that you do get back.”

It didn’t take long to get to the flight line. Fred and I did a walk around inspection of what looked like a brand new from the factory Phantom II, with my name on its side “Lt. Gen. LE Pruett/Captain Fred Blanton.” And below that four “kills” that supposedly happened while doing air defense work. One of these days my Dad’s bragging and exaggeration is going to get me in trouble. Someone had definitely been bragging on me to the crew chief and his men. Turk and Snoopy were my first choice, with my Dad running close behind. Someone had gone too far with the pinup “Angel” painted on the nose.

The flight crews attended the pre-flight briefing. I went through all the details of what was supposed to happen. My last instruction to the group was not so happy.

“Gentlemen, this time we bring those kids home. If it’s a choice between you or a C-5, save those kids and punch out. If it’s a choice between me and you, make tracks, I’ll punch out and beat you back to Guam. Those kids are the reason for all the fuel we’re burning. Bring Those Babies Home. Good Luck, and God speed.”

I had a short amount of time to visit with Cindy. She was wearing her sidearm; one of the enlisted men in her protection detail had taken her the time to show her how to fire it and hit what she was aiming at. There was no place to go for privacy, so we hugged and kissed each other’s cheeks instead. I was so in love with her it actually hurt.

So, even my Aircraft had grown in numbers. I now had three Phantom II’s, six A-6’s, 1 AC130 Spooky (another would rendezvous with us) , two C-5’s configured for passengers, and a tanker for inflight refueling. I spoke to the tower. “Task Group Angel, request permission to roll.”

“Task Group Angel, take off in order F-4’s, A-6’s, C-5’s, Spooky, Tanker. Good Luck Angel.”

“Roger. This is Angel Actual, rolling,” then on our private channel “Hey Daddy, I’m leading the parade again!”

Chapter Nineteen: Saigon and The Ambassador

4/8/75

The trip from Anderson AFB in Guam to Vietnam is a long three and a half hour flight. The A-6’s had taken up their Combat Air Patrol (CAP) stations and the AC-130 Spooky had started her patrol. There were so many of us over Tan Son Nhut that we were under control of the Tower, as well as our Airborne Warning and Control aircraft.

“Saigon Tower, Angel Flight inbound from 70 true, two C-5 Aircraft, four F-4 Escorts.

“Angel Flight, land on 70L, please exit runway and proceed to flight line Alpha three through eight.”

“Saigon, Request landing on 70 L with quick turn-around to 25R.”

“Angel Flight, proceed to land as requested on 70L Understand fast turnaround. Fuel trucks and buses will be cleared to your location as soon as you’re on the tarmac.”

“Thank you Saigon tower, please clear US Consular helicopter to the landing area as soon as all 5 aircraft are on the deck.”

“Roger Angel Flight, welcome to Vietnam.”

“Angel Actual, you still leading the parade?”

“You bet Snoopy, I’ll be back with you guys in a short while.”

“You be careful down there,” Turk added.

“Piece of cake, we’ll be back over Fort Irwin before you know it.”

I popped my canopy and was helped down by a sergeant in the Vietnamese Air Force.

Fred climbed down after me. “I never thought I’d be in Vietnam.”

“Careful Fred, it’s just an e-ticket ride at Disneyland. Keep an eye on things, I’ll be back soon.”

“Roger wilco, Beth.”

“Ewww real World War II pilot talk.”

By the time I was on the ground, a Huey had landed and Dad and I jumped aboard.

The ride took us over the crash site. It was a short flight to the Embassy. Daddy and I jumped out, and were directed to the Ambassador immediately, I insisted the Marine force commander attend our meeting.

The Ambassador was not happy to see us. “I heard the Air Force put a woman in charge of this Operation Babylift. I suppose you’re responsible for the show of force?” He looked at my rumpled Khaki’s, his eyes hesitated a moment on my Pararescue Patch. “So you rescue people?”

“Yes sir. That is my usual vocation.”

“Then why in the Hell are you waving the flag in Saigon. This government is going to collapse soon.” The ambassador was clearly trying to overwhelm me with his first argument.

“My name is Doctor, Lieutenant General Elizabeth Pruett, M.D., and before you ask, yes mine is a line commission. This is my father, Major General Chip Pruett. No, I did not pull strings to get him his rank. I don’t want to waste your time, I’ve instructions for you from D.C.” I handed over his envelope, and handed Major Joseph Terry, USMC, a separate envelope. “Please go ahead and read it, hopefully it will explain things better than I would.”

They both broke the seals, and I could see the Ambassador’s eyebrow try to climb up off of his face. “Someone seems to think you’re the answer to getting the refugees out of South East Asia.”

“Sir, we haven’t ruled out sabotage for the downed C-5. My orders are to do whatever I have to get the presumptive GI babies and refugees out of Vietnam.”

“That doesn’t justify your show of force! Just what in the hell do you think you can accomplish?”

I tried to paraphrase things for a man who was clearly out of touch. “It would be a great help in keeping this from exploding if you could talk to your counterparts in Hanoi. I also need you to pass a message on to whoever you talk to on the NVA side. My orders are very explicit, and non-discretionary. Please pass that along to insure the refugees leaving the country are unimpeded. They need to know I will use every means necessary, including resumption of Arc Light II, Rolling Thunder, and/or Linebacker II, Carpet Bombing of NVA troop concentrations; or strategic bombing of North Vietnam. Please, help me not be forced into something neither one of us wants.”

“There is no way I’ll help you. I have to follow and live with my conscience. That means strict observance of the Paris Peace Accords.”

“Sir, nothing would give me greater pleasure. However, right Now B-52 aircraft at Clarke Air force Base, at Anderson Air Force base, and other locations are being loaded and made ready if I need them. If I get cooperation, or at least acquiescence of the Babylift flights, and other refugee flights, then I’ll be absolutely happy.” I tried appease the Ambassador. “I think we know what happened to the C-5, and I believe we’ve rectified the problem. There is still some evidence the downed C-5 was sabotaged; presumably by VC or NVA. If the flights go through with no more trouble, I’ll be at most an unpleasant memory.”

“You’re pretty damned arrogant for such a young girl.”

“Mr. Ambassador, 18 members of the United States Air Force are dead, along with over one hundred men, women, and children. The president and congress set policy, they have given me my orders. Don’t let my youthful appearance cause you to underestimate me, or what I’ll do if the refugee flights are impeded.”

“What is it with you? Is it the wrong time of month? You can’t threaten sovereign countries this way.”

I interrupted him, “What is it with you? Sir, to this point I’ve been courteous and civil to you. I’VE threatened no one. YOU choose to insult me by calling me derogatory names, you’ve implied my actions are due to my period. YOU’VE accused me of being too young. Are YOU afraid because I’m a woman? I’ve threatened no one. I simply need the NVA and VC to know I have orders to do whatever is needed to get them to leave the refugee flights alone.”

“Little Girl, do you even know what strategic bombing is? Look it up before using the word. Go home and play with your dollies.” Dad came close to killing him right then and there.

“Mr. Ambassador, I do not want to invoke my tactical or strategic options to insure the refugee flights make it out safely. I’ve asked for your input and you continue to insult me.”

I stayed between him and my Dad. “My father has carried nuclear weapons under his wings, protecting our country for over 20 years. I understand very well the concepts of tactical and strategic bombing. I’ve been taught by a former faculty member of the United States War College. I understand I’ve the same strategic weapons he carried. These refugee flights have become a HUGE political issue back home. There is a huge anger building over the refugee issue. Many in D.C., and the rest of our country would prefer I turn Hanoi into a parking lot. One weapon, one city, one career. Mr. Ambassador, have I made myself clear? I have the release codes. I have National Command Authority Permissions to use those weapons, as well as others.”

“You criticize me, you may think I’m a militaristic throwback. I’m not. I’m a citizen soldier, a medical doctor at other times, and in other places. I’m a trained combat pararescue jumper. The only one who is also a medical doctor, or for that matter, a woman. If it helps, tell them there is a crazy woman with her finger on the button of Nuclear Armageddon. I don’t give a damn what you tell them, just be sure they understand I will destroy them if that’s the cost of protecting the refugee flights.”

“You wouldn’t dare. Now THERE’s a contradiction, Citizen Solder,” contempt coloring his every word.

“Mr. Ambassador, excuse me, she will dare. The Silver Star she wears, I was there. She killed a man from 10’ because he thought she wouldn’t dare. He had taken a hostage. She turned as though to get something the man badly wanted, and she turned around as though to get it. When she turned back around she fired twice. Her first shot blew the man’s heart apart. Her second severed his spinal cord. She then calmly watched him crumple to the ground. Once he was dead, she turned and tracked down two more armed men. She was fired at and wounded by a second man. She returned fire, killing the second man of the night. The third man she took alive. She escorted her prisoner back to our op center. Once he was secured, with seven other prisoners, she finally collapsed and allowed her own wound to be treated. Her flightsuit had holes front to back at the level of her heart, and front to back in her right thigh. If the first bullet had been three inches closer to her heart, she’d be dead. Had the second man’s gunfire been two more inches over, it would have severed her femoral artery, and she would be dead. Instead the Air Force awarded the Silver Star and the Purple Heart. She saved nine people, including me with her actions. She’s been given her orders, and the nuclear option’s code words. Those are among the methods she’s been entrusted with. Make no mistake, she will do whatever is needed.”

“I’ll tell the press, the President will be forced to recall you.”

“Sir,” I replied. Respectfully, if you go to the press and try to discredit my mission I would be forced to use one of my pre-planned pre-approved military options. This conversation and your instructions are classified above Top Secret. I would send a Marine recon team to the Embassy with orders to arrest you. You would be removed to Guam where legal action against you would begin. You would be charged with violating the National Security Act before a military tribunal, NOT a civil court. You then would be convicted and imprisoned. I guarantee THAT would make for a story big enough that I would have an easier time carrying out my responsibilities, except for the fact that it would all be classified above top secret.”

“Show him your commission Beth.”

Silently I passed I a copy over. Dad just had to prod the Ambassador a little more, “You might recognize your bosses’ signature. I understand Dr. Kissinger was the second one to sign it.” I almost turned to him and told him not to exaggerate.

4-10-75

“Mr. Ambassador, I take no pleasure in this. I’m fully aware that any active military action against North Vietnam will, in the long run, make me a pariah. It would likely force me out of the Air Force. I’m trying to do my duty and bring those babies and other refugees home. Do you have any questions for me? Do you have any advice on how I can both carry out my duty and not make your job any harder?”

“Yes, keep your damned aircraft away! This country is finished. What does it matter if 1000 babies are evacuated to the U.S.? Your gesture is futile, and you will destroy détente.”

“Mr. Ambassador, I’ve hand delivered your instructions. My Father and I, along with Major Terranc witnessed you reading it. I’ve asked for your advice. You have chosen to be insulting, for the military mission entrusted to me, my service to my country, and for my being a woman. Regardless of anything else, I will report this conversation to D.C. with a copy to the Secretary of State. In the meantime, I’ll be sending Aircraft into Tan Son Nhut. Those aircraft will be accompanied by AC130’s, and a Combat Air Patrol. Anyone so much as look like they want to shoot at those planes is going to buy the farm. That will hold for all aircraft of Operation Babylift.

“I’ve two C5’s full of babies and American volunteers. I know you don’t like me or what I stand for. Fine. I don’t really care for people who insult me because they disagree with my orders to do a dangerous mission. So, we agree we disagree, but we don’t agree to disagree. Go to the press, and you will be arrested for violation of the National Security Acts. But that’s not going to happen is it? That would be a one way trip to oblivion, and I suspect that’s the one trip you don’t want to take. If you will excuse me, I’ve a flight to take home.” I turned to walk away, then told him:

“I wish we could have worked together. I suspect we would find areas we agree on, and could build a relationship on that. That would have been the diplomatic option. Instead you’ve argued that I’ve been jingoistic, and you have threatened me. Sir, you may send information and requests to me at my office on Guam, or to me through CINCPAC. This has been an enlightening conversation.”

I asked the senior Marine officer Major Joseph Terrance to join me on the trip back to my aircraft.

“Ma’am, I’m as sorry as I can be, but if he had twice as many brains as he does have, he would still have half as many as he thinks he has.”

“Thanks Major.”

“Ma’am, one of my marines was on that downed flight. I’ve already heard of your actions and removal of General Lewis. I am in your debt, hell, the entire Corps is in your debt.”

“Thanks, you’ve no idea how much I appreciate hearing that.”

“Don’t worry about anything the ambassador says. He doesn’t understand reality, and he thinks he’s the greatest diplomat since Disraeli.”

I couldn’t help it, I laughed. “If the ambassador takes my conversation, or his instructions to the press, or in any way impedes refugee flights, please get in touch with me. I’ll probably be in my office on Guam. If he shares, or attempts to share information with the press you are requested and required to stop him, and place him under close arrest. No access to anyone. That must generate CRITIC traffic to me. Send to me, to General Baker USMC, to Admiral Levi Roberts, and to CINCPAC. Sending it to CINCPAC will certainly find its way to me. After arrest, send him on the next C-5 to Guam, under guard. I will communicate my orders to you to CINCPAC, and General Baker. Please, at your earliest opportunity send a message to General Baker with your understanding of my orders.”

“Count on it Ma’am.”

“Thank you Major for your help, I sincerely hope he’s smart enough to understand I’m not bluffing.”

We arrived back at Tan Son Nhut to find the last of the babies for this trip being loaded on the second C-5 I ran over to see for myself how the kids were doing. I confess, I was surprised. Two or three children per seat with my Medical and security teams working with adult volunteers the last of the children were being strapped in.

Cindy came over as the others finished up. “It’s been quiet like this the entire time

“Are you okay?” I asked.

“Yes honey, I’m doing fine. I’ll be a lot better when we get back to Guam.”

“So will I, the ambassador was insulting and derogatory to me for being a woman, and being in the military. I worry about ALL the refugees. The problem is far more than the children.”

“You’ll figure it out, you always do.”

“What?”

“You still don’t realize it, do you? I noticed the first day I met you. If you have a problem, you figure out how to fix it. If you need it you ask for advice or for help. I think it’s one of your greatest strengths.”

“I’ve never even thought of it,” I answered.

“We’re going to have a long talk about this when we get back.” Cindy hugged me close, and we again exchanged kisses on our cheeks. “You need to get back in your plane.”

“I know. Thank you for being here, I love you so very much.” I managed to get out just as they were closing the back. I heard the air crew checking each of the locks securing the doors, then I walked back to my F-4.

Daddy was waiting there, “This town is about to fall apart,” he said, handing me a newspaper in English.

“No time for that now Daddy, we need to get airborne.” I folded the newspaper, and climbed into my fighter.

“Angel actual to all Angel units report status,” I asked.

“Snoopy here, we’re all just flying rings up here. I think Turk’s trying to keep track of the number.”

“Angel Airlift One, ready for takeoff.”

“Angel Airlift Two, ready for takeoff.”

“Trails, check”

“Jumper check”

“Tower this is angel flight request permission to take off. Thank you for your hospitality.”

“Permission granted Angel, have a good flight home.” the tower radioed back to me.

“Angel actual, C-5’s, you sure you got those doors locked?”

“We’re ready General, let’s go home.”

“Airlift, go ahead 1 then 2, Trails you bring up the rear, Jumper take the lead.”

“Affirmative, Jumper is number 3, oops number two.” My dad said as the first C-5 lifted off.

“Fred you ready back there?”

“You got it Angel”

Very soon it was my turn, the acceleration pushed me back into my seat. This was something I loved. I’d climbed to about 15 thousand feet, everything had gone so smoothly. That sense of satisfaction that comes when you’ve done everything just right filled me. That was when I heard the one thing I’d never truly considered.

A staccato sound — bullets impacting my F-4 “Incoming fire,” I called out, “Breaking right. Airlift One and Two, get the hell out of here at full military power. Fred, you see anything? Airlift, if you have to divert to Clarke do so and inform me when you make that decision.” I stomped the rudder and yanked the control stick to the right. “Weapons free.” I armed my weapons, and looked for the site the bullets were coming from.

“Trails, stay with the carriers, Skyhawk’s, Turk, anyone see where the fire came from? You are weapons free, repeat all Angel flight escorts you are free to engage if you have positive visual ID on the shooter.” Fred and I loitered for a few seconds, long enough to realize none of the fighters had a clear ID.

“Mayday, Mayday, Angel Two, got smoke, right engine is fubar. I’ve been hit, repeat Angel two has been hit by ground fire. One engine is out and fails to restart.” Then the radio cut out…

“Daaaddy,” I heard myself scream.

Chapter Twenty: The Luck Runs Out

“Don’t shout Baby Girl, I’ve still got one engine, I’ll make it to the ocean before I have to punch out.

“But you know how much you hate to swim.”

“Yeah, but I’ve got a wizzo to help.”

I made it to Dad’s plane in less than a minute, “You’ve oil leaking out your right side. I see no flame. Dad, you copy, no flames. I rolled inverted up over him so I could look at his condition, and the condition of his Wizzo.

“Yeah BabyGirl, no flames. I’m hurt, I’m hurt real bad, I didn’t notice at first. I think my WSO is hurt worse than I am. I can’t get him to talk to me.”

‘Daddy he won’t be talking to anyone ever again.’ I thought to myself ‘He looks real dead from here.’ Then I thought I saw him move, so I stayed overhead and watched some more. He twitched. I was never so happy to be wrong. I rolled down and to the right, and had a real close look at Angel Two. It didn’t look good, there was a great big hole where the engine joined the fuselage, and part of the tail was missing. “You’ve got maybe half an engine, you’re not going to make Guam. There’s lots of oil and maybe hydraulic fluid. Breathe very easy Pop. Your seat, at pin seven is damaged. Your radio is real weak. Let me make the call.”

“MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY, this is Angel actual on Guard.”

“MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY this is Angel actual on Guard.”

“Go ahead Angel Actual, please say your emergency.”

“Mayday is for an F-4 type aircraft. Angel02. It caught the golden BB. Pilot reports serious injury, says WSO is non-responsive, possibly dead. I visually checked on both pilot and WSO; I saw what I believe to be movement by the WSO. The pilot’s ejection seat shows damage at pin seven, repeat Angel 02’s pilot has a hot and damaged ejection seat.”

“Copy Angel one. Angel two is hit, injuries on board. Pilot’s ejection seat damaged at pin seven.”

“How close is air/sea rescue?”

“Bad news Angel One, Jolly Green (A nickname for a big green American Helicopter, “the Jolly Green Giant”) went Bingo (nearly out of fuel) 10 minutes ago.”

“How close are we to any Navy asset? We are maybe 2 miles to feet wet (over the water), almost due east of Saigon headed east north east.”

“Hancock has been diverted, Midway launched a chopper, they are 20 miles out, nearly due north. Look for a destroyer, they are supposed to be in the area. Expect Midway Rescue to be on station soonest.”

It’s a poorly known fact (and NOT taught) that you can, in an F-4, at last resort, get out of your seat if you absolutely have to. If you and your back seat driver are nearly gymnasts it’s just barely possible, at the top of an Immelman or other zero gee maneuver to jettison the canopy and trade places. The big problem is if you do, the aircraft will likely spiral out of control in a flat spin. IF you’ve been really desperate the Whizzo is now the pilot. The Pilot, now in the rear seat can then eject. I contemplated this maneuver and decided I was desperate enough.

“Fred, can you swim?”

A few seconds later, “Fred, how well do you swim?”

“Oh no Beth, you are NOT thinking what I’m thinking you’re thinking, are you?”

“Fred, pull your boots off, I’ll buy you new ones. How well do you swim?”

“I won’t drown, I guess I’m about average in moving through the water Beth. Okay, my Boots are off, your turn, I’ve got the plane.”

I cut the laces and ripped my boots off and slipped my feet back on the controls, “Okay Fred, I’ve got the controls, be sure your feet are in the loops. Look to the north, there’s a chopper coming. If it’s on the scene I’ll let them take it. Otherwise, I’ll jettison a perfectly good Phantom.”

“Beth, as we crossed the Saigon River from the airport, Spooky was sure as hell hosing something down. It looks like a beam of light when it fires that 20 mm canon.”

“Thanks Fred, remind me to look those fellows up, I owe them a beer.”

We were cruising at 18,000 feet with the engines providing just enough power to keep from stalling out.

“Daddy, can you come left to true North?” He didn’t answer, but slowly Angel Two pointed the Phantom to the north, and the Rescue chopper. “When I yell eject I want both of you to get out of there. There’s a hell of a lot of oil on your right side. Are your hydraulics still working?”

“I’m sorry Princess, I should have told you hydraulics are gone.”

“Beth, I can see the Helicopter.”

As I was talking I’d rolled inverted, up and over Angel Two, to take another look.

“Beth, you do know how unstable your Dad’s seat is don’t you?”

“Yes Fred, I know. I’m not happy but we need to take a look.”

“Okay Boss, just checking.”

“Midway Rescue to Angel flight, do you copy?”

“Thank God, I didn’t want to ditch this plane. Roger Midway Rescue, this is Angel Zero One. Angel Zero Two is fubar. Pilot and Wizzo are wounded. The pilot is my Father, Major General Chip Pruett. I was preparing to jump when we saw you coming.”

“Are you nuts?”

“No more than any PJ. I was worried I’d be the only Doctor or Pararescue jumper in this area.”

“Angel two, don’t fight the controls so much, let your bird descend. You need to need to get lower. Start descending now.”

“Midway Rescue this is Angel actual, we see you about 5 miles out. The Phantom ahead of me has no hydraulics, the pilot is not doing well, mental acuity declining. As soon as you have him onboard start him on O negative and Plasma expanders.”

“Relax Angel, we know what we’re doing.”

“Are you a doctor? Or Pararescue?” Daddy was able to get down to 7500 feet.

“Yes to both Angel One.”

“Midway Rescue I’m calling the agreed mantra, one or two will make it to the water.”

“Roger that. Let me get something straight, you are an F-4 pilot, and a doctor, and an Air Force Pararescue jumper, and a girl?”

“Yep, and I’ve a line commission. I think I’m the only one there is. Let’s get them out, I’ll be happy to tell all. Lieutenant General Beth Pruett, out.”

“Uh, roger Angel”

“Hey Fred, what was Dad’s Whizzo’s name again?”

“Ozzie”

“Let’s get them out.” I rolled up and over them one last time. Both feet Daddy and Ozzie’s feet were in the protective loops. I could not see any blood on Ozzie. Why didn’t I notice that earlier? What I didn’t want to be is directly in the path of their seats if something went wrong.

“Jumper, Ozzie, feet in the loops, Helmet air connected, close helmet visor and secure your mask.” I got the hell out of their way, “Put your hands on the curtain handles. Jumper eject eject eject. Ozzie, eject eject eject. I repeat Jumper eject eject eject. Ozzie, eject eject eject”

I can’t describe the joy I felt when I saw both of them rocketing out of the stricken Phantom. The parachutes deployed as designed. My Daddy would survive, again. I flew big lazy circles around the descending parachutes. The helo driver took a big risk, coming in within seconds of Dad touching down. I saw three jumpers from the rescue helicopter go in the water. They had both men, out of the water, fast.

“Angel, we’ve got your Dad, he’s going to be okay. The Whizzo’s really beat to hell, I don’t know about him, but he’ll get the best care. Midway Rescue, RTB at this time.”

“Roger Rescue. RTB with pilot and WSO.

“Air Control, can you give me a heading to Anderson?”

“Angel, turn to 85 degrees true.”

“Thank you Air Control, and THANK YOU Midway rescue. I’ll try to be aboard in the next couple of days, then I’ll answer all your questions.”

One last thing, I looked for Angel 02 and the stupid thing was still flying, and now looked to be turning toward the coast. I locked it up and rippled two sidewinders into it. It blew up like a Hollywood prop. “Frank, let’s get caught up with the Galaxies.”

On the private channel Snoopy called, “Hey Angel, how’s your Dad?”

“Doing a lot better, they jumped on him fast. I owe those guys a lot!”

“I’m glad Angel, I’m really glad. You point the way and we’ll follow you.”

“Hey Angel, that makes five kills for you, wadda’ you know, you just made ace.” Turk laughed hysterically.

The rest of the flight was boring to say the least. The only excitement, for me, was Cindy on the private channel. It sounded like she’d been calling a long time. “Angel flight, what’s your status?” 10 seconds later, “Angel flight, what’s your status?

“Angel Actual, Angel two went in the drink. He and his Wizzo are aboard Midway by now, Daddy’s going to be okay.”

I could hear her slump with relief, “Beth I’ve been so very worried.”

“I know Cindy, I know. I damn near jumped from my phantom to go after him.”

“I knew you would, that’s what scared me the most.”

“We’ll be back to Anderson soon, then we can talk.”

“Roger Angel.” I could feel her smile from 50 miles away.

Chapter Twenty-One: Dad, and Dad?

Altogether the first two planes brought out over 500 children. I couldn’t imagine the chaos that would reign in the morning. I never did get a staff meeting. The time spent flying over my dad meant the C-5’s were almost home by the time we caught up. They took first priority. When I finally rolled to a stop, I was met by Tim, David and Levi. “What took so long,” Tim asked, handing me a big slab of German Chocolate Cake.

“I’ll never be a diplomat. That bastard in Saigon hates the military, hates women, and hates bringing those babies out. It was all I could do to restrain my Dad. He wanted to kill him.”

“Speaking of which, where IS your Dad? Daughter of mine.”

“Dad took a golden bb. By now he should be tucked in sleeping on the Midway.”

“Beth, do you always fly barefoot?” Levi asked.

“Oh crap. No, I was getting ready to jump on Dad.”

Fred told the group. “She is certifiable. We’re doodling along at 18000 feet and 359 knots and she wants to go swimming. “Oh Fred, how well do you swim… Oh Fred, can you take your boots off?”

Tim asked, “I know you wanted to take care of your Dad, but deliberately throwing away a perfectly good plane?” Isn’t that’s excessive?”

“Oh no, it was the lesser of two evils. I thought of doing an Immelman, trade places with Fred during the weightless part when the speed bled off, and work the back seat main chute pack out of its canister. Then I’d kick myself free, reattach the chutes anchor points leaving Fred to pilot the Phantom home. I know I could do my part; you put the last pin in and undo the D rings and pull Fred up and then down in the front seat. No fuss, no muss, and the canopy might still close and I’d separate during the weightless part, locate Dad and fly towards his location and pull the chute out. Fly the chute down to 20’, release the catches and drop 15 feet into the water. No problem.”

“Beth, please promise me you’ll never do that,” Tim told me.

“Yeah, but think of what it would be like! No one else has ever done it!”

“Beth,” this time his attitude was stern, “you and Fred would most likely be dead.”

“Oh all right. Geez, what fun is it to be a General if you’ve two Dad’s watching your every move.”

Everyone laughed at that.

“Well, if that’s the case, I’m sure CINCPAC might join the Fatherly Chorus. By that I mean He Himself is here, with two C-5’s for you, 8 pararescue jumpers, shooters, and spooks.” David told me.

“Ah Crap,” I said, “I’ve been so busy I kind of forgot all about them.”

“I doubt very much that you just “forgot” to mention his impending visit.”

“No, really, I’ve not had much sleep in days? Then there was the whole Lewis thing, then dinner and a sleepover and then Amy and the Angel yesterday, not to mention the breaking then healing that kid’s collar bone. Yelling at a bunch of Drs. and Nurses, Damn, I need to get over to the hospital and see if there’s anything I need to help with.” That all came out, I think, as one solid piece of consciousness.

“Levi,” I asked in my sweetest voice, “could you ask CINCPAC if he’d mind seeing me at the Hospital?”

“Don’t worry about that, he said he’ll see you tomorrow. In fact, he suggested you find a certain someone to snuggle with and get a good night’s sleep.”

“Oh My Gosh, do you guys know what he meant?”

“Beth, you’ve a very good group of people working for you. They do talk though; and your command group? Your Dad took us aside and told us your background and that Cindy proposed to you and you to her. Sure, it’s non-regulation, but no one who knows you would ever think of bringing it up, and that includes CINCPAC.”

I blushed from my toes to my hair.

“Oh Look, you’ve embarrassed her,” Fred teased.

“At least I didn’t have to buy you new boots,” I told him in reply.

“Which I suggest you put on, young lady,” Dad2 told me. “Oh Look. There’s a jeep with a driver waiting for you, Cinderella.”

“Ack, I cut the laces to get them off quicker. I can’t tie them right now. it’s after midnight. I’ve GOT to get to the hospital.”

“Who’s going to drive,” Levi asked.

“What, do I look like a doctor to you,” David replied.

“David, I’m sorry I forgot to tell you about Seal team three coming to help out.”

“Beth, don’t worry about it. I’m still going to provide security for you and your staff. I am NOT upset with you. I can only hope I would be able to do what you’ve done with the same style and grace. You are doing a very, very good job.

“I guess I’m elected, come on Princess,” Tim said as I fluffed out my hair. We got into the jeep, which just happened to have two Marines in it. “Ma’am, General Baker asked us to be sure you got to where you need to go.”

“Thank you Marines”

“Our pleasure Ma’am.”

Ted had the ground side medical staff finally working as a team. By the time I got to the hospital, all the bickering that had been there this morning was gone. The second load of babies, mostly toddlers really, were being processed. The volunteers that had come with the babies were invaluable. Their language skills, and long association with the kids made things run smoothly.

Ted later told me the volunteers had all wanted to stay with the kids, so cots were setup in each of the rooms. The kids quieted down as soon as they knew they were not being abandoned.

While the volunteers were showering, the kids were tagged with their name, then washed, photographed, foot and finger printed, and given a quick examination by the medical staff. We had a whole wing on the second floor of the hospital for this first load. The SeaBees had built smooth wooden crib’s 4 high and 5 wide. Each room had two or three sets of cribs. The remainder of the wing had the same sets along the walls. Somewhere, someone found enough crib mattresses for this first group. Tomorrow would be chaos.

Ted caught up to me. “I don’t know how you did it, or who you bribed, but we’ve had people dropping off Baby stuff all day. That’s where the mattresses came from. Every one of the donors has come wanting to help ‘The Angel of the Bay.” Someone called the radio station and asked them to put out the call, “The Angel of the Bay is in Guam to help refugee Babies. She needs whatever you can spare. A couple of churches, maybe more, are scrounging the island looking for mattresses, cribs, blankets, everything. We expect more tomorrow. This group will have to move along or we won’t have room for another 700 babies, btw, by tomorrow night you will have rescued more babies, than President Ford thought there would be.”

I started crying, I turned my back to Ted, only to find Tim behind me, and he pulled me into a hug. “Why me? I’m a nothing, I shouldn’t even be here, I should be dead or something,” I cried. I let Tim take me outside.

“God daughter, it’s that attitude of yours. Honor first, last, and always. You are always putting others before yourself. You always do whatever you can for others, and then believe you are not doing enough. You have constantly, ever since you met your parents, always exceeded every expectation. People told you, you weren’t a girl, and you proved them wrong (no one else knows, by the way). The two most wonderful people I know adopted you. You treat it as though they sacrificed everything when they did. That you were the greatest blessing to come into their lives escapes you completely. I know better. I’ll always treat you like the very young woman that you are. I don’t care what your ID says, you are still way too young to do what you’ve done, and you take it all with a humble acceptance that makes people WANT to follow you. I dare say, should you ever run for office, your opponent wouldn’t stand a chance.”

Ted spoke up. “Beth, listen to him. You are such a mature leader it’s just plain scary. Your reputation makes people believe in you. That kid from the Quickie Mart is still smiling, no pain meds at all. The only reason he’s still in hospital is no one knows what you want to do with him. Your reputation, just doing what you do, caused that kid to believe enough that his body is being flooded with endorphins, no narcotics, and no withdrawal symptoms. He believes you are the “Angel of the Bay.” A real live walking, talking, and healing Angel. Anyway why don’t you…” something over my shoulder distracted him… “uh, never mind.”

I turned to look, and there was Cindy; holding me, kissing me, not the least bit concerned for the consequences. My tears dried. “Don’t you ever do anything like that again without me!” She scolded. You saw the Ambassador, fine. You got the C-5’s going, and you brought home a little over 500 babies. Great, but jumping onto your Dad to save him? That was totally and completely nuts! Still, you are wonderful, and I love you.”

Tim smiled at the two of us, “Beth, please, we’ve got things moving, I understand tomorrow you’ve four flights. NAVCAP is setup, General Baker has six “air crew” for each plane. Levi has “appropriated” four of your new group of pararescue jumpers and given them the mission parameters, assigning one to each aircraft. The crews are all sleeping, they’ll take off 0500.”

Ted asked, “Why don’t you head on “home?”

Tim broke out laughing, “You’ll be up for at least another hour. You have a reception committee waiting up for you.”

I’m sure the look on my face was worth it to him, but he quit laughing and smiled, “There was no way they would go to sleep until they saw you home, and safe. You also need to let them know your Dad is okay. I’m sure Joyce is up with them, and they’ll have something to eat ready for you.”

“Are you coming with us?”

“You know, I think I will, I didn’t get much sleep either.”

“Ted, are you sure you can spare me?”

“Go, you’ve done a hell of a lot today. You should be quite proud of yourself. Cindy, take Miss “But I’ve Got to Do Everything” home, play with your sisters, then go to bed. I don’t want to see you out of bed until you’ve had at LEAST eight hours of sleep; and those are your personal physician’s medical orders! Now scurry along. One last thing, I hope you’re not still mad at me; but I am so damn glad I twisted Governor Brown’s arm and had him talk to the military. I hate to think of what things would be like if you weren’t here.”

“Come on Cindy, I’m out numbered. Ted, could you get the personnel file on my would-be robber? I have absolutely no idea what I’m going to do with him. By rights he should face a court for his actions, but somehow I’m betting that after a night’s sleep I’m going to find the absolutely perfect duty assignment. Everyone should get at least one second chance. I am so tired, let’s go before I find something I just HAVE to do.”

“Goodnight, Boss” Ted quipped, “Thanks for the Star.” I smiled at that, sometimes it really is fun to be a General.

“Staff Meeting, tentatively about 1030 hours, and we’ll see if we can mooch off of Admiral Roberts one more day. See to it Ted?”

“Consider it done.”

I sat in the back of the jeep with Cindy and a Marine. Tim got the front passenger seat. I was happy, Cindy was sitting close to me. We pulled up to Government House about 0045. I dismissed my escort team and the three of us, Cindy, Tim, and I had just reached the second floor when the door was jerked open by Joyce as the three girls jumped out and yelled “Surprise!”

They had indeed set out dinner for Cindy and me, Ann asked “Where’s Daddy Chip?”

The other two girls looked fearfully at me.

“He’s okay. His Phantom was shot at, and at least one bullet damaged the right side engine so he had to bail out of his plane. He got hurt, but the doctor said it wasn’t too bad.” I was surprised to realize I was crying about my Dad, and I was starving. They had saved meatloaf and French fries. The meat loaf made me cry more. I remembered the first night Mom and I had used my recipe to make Dinner, and how Daddy was always eating. The girls had kept dinner warm in a Sterno chafing dish. “When you say your prayers tonight pray for his Whizzo, Ozzie. He was in pretty bad shape before they could transport the two of them to the hospital on the USS Midway, it’s an aircraft carrier.”

Cindy and I sat down to eat our belated dinner when the door opened, and Tim came in with paper plates and forks. “Excuse me girls, but Beth forgot her cake.”

I pointed to the empty chair, “Have a seat Dad2”

“Dad2?” Joyce asked.

“Yep, I am the only Lieutenant General in the entire United States of America Military who has to answer to her Father, and her Godfather!”

“And rightly so, Oh God-daughter of mine!”

“Well, I think it’s not fair. I can’t get away with anything because I’ve got two Fathers to answer to!” I joked.

“And you love every minute of it!” He said with a smile.

I got up and walked around the table to him. Once there, I kissed him on the forehead, “You are so right.”

“Well Joyce, girls, grab a fork and we’ll all devour the cake!”

“Girls, guess how many babies we brought back with us.”

Ann guessed 300, Elise guessed it was more than a hundred but less than one thousand. Amy looked at me, “Five hundred thirty seven babies.”

I was stunned Tim looked worried; how she could know precisely was impossible. “Wow, Amy that was maybe the exact number of babies we brought home. How could you know?

“Silly, Amy told me. See, I told you she wants to keep being an angel a secret; not that we would ever tell.”

The girls wanted to sleep in our bed with us, sort of a mini-sleepover, but I told them my Boss was here, and I had to get a good night’s sleep, but maybe one night soon. They accepted my reason, but it was clear they expected to — soon.

My flightsuit and khakis were rumpled and sweat stained. Tim suggested using the laundry bag in our bathroom; “Just leave it outside the door, laundry is done by the staff overnight.”

I told him “thank you, and I’ll see you in the morning.”

Ann asked when she would get her uniform and be able to help with the babies. Joyce told her she’d take her down and get her nurse’s whites in the morning, then she would help Joyce at the Hospital. Amy told me she would see me in the morning, clearly expecting to be taken.

“What about me?” Elise asked, clearly on the verge of tears.

“Well Giggle Box, maybe you can go in with Joyce, then when you get to the hospital ask General Ted what you can do!” That made her happy.

The girls insisted on hugs, first Joyce, then Cindy, then me. I told Elise, “Goodnight Elise,” only to have her contradict me, “my name is Giggle Box, you said so yourself.”

I smiled at her, “Goodnight Giggle Box,” she giggled and wiggled happily. Tim and his girls left.

I was grateful to Tim for the offer of having the staff do laundry, but there was no way I’d leave my delicates to their care.

Joyce, bless her, figured out my dilemma, “Put all your outer clothing in the bag, I’ll do your delicates in your Dad’s bathroom, and leave them there to dry. “You need your sleep. So, no arguments!”

I told her thank you very much, and goodnight. I went and got in the shower, and Cindy gave our underwear, to Joyce. Then Cindy joined me. It touched my heart, it described all that was good in my life. “Then Cindy Joined Me.” Soon we were drying off. I never had anyone dry my back like that. It was nice; no, it was wonderful.

I still had one thing left to do. I asked the base operator for a connection to continental Long Distance Operator, then asked her to connect me to a number in the Bay Area. The phone rang four times, I began to think she wasn’t there. Then the phone picked up, “Hello?”

“Momma? Hi it’s me.”

“Beth? What’s wrong? Where’s your Dad?”

I sort of smiled to myself. Momma always knew when something was wrong.

“Momma, Daddy’s okay. He’s not here right now. We were flying separate F-4’s and Daddy’s plane got shot at. He had to eject, and you know how much he hates water.”

“Baby Girl, It’s the middle of the night there, I can hear the tired in your voice. Don’t try to cover things up, how bad is he hurt?”

I sighed. “He’s on the USS Midway. I’m told he is doing fine. He took some shrapnel in his butt.”

Momma started laughing at that. “In his ass, you mean he finally got shot in the ass?”

“Yes Momma, He told me it hurt really badly, and he was losing control when I ordered him jump out.”

“When YOU told him to bail out? Since when does a colonel tell a General what to do?”

“Oh.”

“What is it you are not telling me?”

“I’m not a Colonel Momma.”

“Oh? So you got bumped back to Major?”

“No Momma, they decided to promote me.”

“Wow! A general at your age? Your Daddy’s got to be proud. But I thought Your Dad was a Brigadier?”

“No Momma.”

“So, are you going to tell me or am I going to have to drag it out of you? Just what is your rank now Baby Girl?”

“Lieutenant-General Momma. Daddy’s now a Major General. I’ve met Tim Tyner, and Levi.” Cindy started listening in, Momma began to laugh.

In fact, she began laughing hysterically. “Good for you! How’s you know who?”

Cindy answered, “You know who is doing well, Momma”

“So I’m “Momma” now?”

We answered in unison “Yes Momma, we’re engaged.”

Cindy continued, “We’re supposed to be sleeping. But, you know who said she had to call you first.”

“Well then, congratulations to you! Take care of Daddy, and get to bed, I love you both.”

“Good-night Momma,” we both answered, again in unison.

I don’t know how long it was, certainly not very long, but as soon as I lay down, and Cindy joined me, I was asleep.

Chapter Twenty-Two: Dad, and Dad, and Dad??

Ted had been right, I had been up till 0130, and of course he had to work. I didn’t wake till Cindy woke me up at 0930. I started to panic, she just held me and told me to calm down, so I did.

We dressed quickly, Joyce had sent my khakis out to be cleaned, and my underwear was folded at the end of the bed. “You didn’t even hear Joyce come in, did you?”

I shook my head

“Joyce has taken the girls with her to get uniforms, and then go to the hospital.

I admitted I’d slept till she shook me awake. It was nice being taken care of. I really appreciated the little things that others did. It truly helped me make the most of my time. We were both dressed, when the phone rang. It was Admiral Young’s adjutant Commander Bob Vigoda, inviting us to join him and Admiral Young in the Sun Room, and by the way, what would we like for breakfast.

Cindy ordered French toast and bacon for two and two more sides of bacon, orange juice, and whatever fresh fruit was in season. Coffee for her, Tea for me.

The Sun Room was on the first floor. As soon as I’d closed the door to our suite, Amy popped out of the Tyner suite, huge smile on her face. “Good morning Sister, good morning Cindy, I’m all ready to go.” I took the easy way out. “Have you had breakfast?”

“Oh yes, hours ago.”

“Well we’re going to a working breakfast, you can come along, but you’ll need to be quiet, or I can call your room when we’re about to leave.”

“Oh, I should go with you. Joyce got a notebook and showed me how to punch holes in paper so it will fit in the notebook. I’ve the reports from the pilots; the notes I made yesterday, then a lady from Uncle Levi’s office gave me something she call a transcription of some notes and from the Article 32? (I nodded) proceedings, she made me look it up in the dictionary. And I have your briefing from yesterday, with holes punched in it. The lady said she would be sure they had the holes punched in them from then on. So you just HAVE to take me, so I can keep your notes safe. Joyce told me that was part of being a confidential secretary, and I had to look those words up in the dictionary too.

“Okay Amy you can come along,” I told her as we reached the first floor, “Do you know where the Sun Room is?”

“Yes General, right this way.” She said. “Joyce said I should call you General when anyone might be around, because it would make me look more professional (and I had to look THAT up too!), and like I belonged there.”

“You’re doing very well Amy,” Cindy said.

“Yes you are. I’m glad you’re with us today,” that made her smile, a lot.

“Here you go, General, the Sun Room.”

The Admiral and his adjutant stood, “I’m glad you’re able to join us, and who is the charming young lady?”

I smiled, “Admiral, may I introduce one of my Apprentice Angels, Cadet Angel Amy Tyner? I believe you know her father General Tim Tyner.

“Why yes I do, it’s nice to meet you Cadet Amy.”

“I found out, the first evening here that 28 young ladies here on Guam have banded together to help me as “apprentice angels.” You will see some of them working in the hospital helping with the orphans we unloaded last night. They are quite serious in this pursuit, so we’re providing them uniforms. Amy has help from Amelia Constance Pruett, my sister, who only lived one day.”

“I want to thank you for letting me sleep in, I was still quite jet lagged, a short night’s sleep then a long day as my Phantom was one of three primary fighters escorting the first two re-certified C-5’s. I took the opportunity to meet with our Ambassador in Saigon.”

The admiral chuckled, “and what did you think of him?”

“Young company precludes me from using the appropriate language. He hates the military, he hates women in positions of authority, he accused me of being on my period and for carrying through the actions we discussed in Hawaii. I’m jingoistic, and can’t possibly understand the differences between strategic and tactical weapons. He went on to say my mission really wouldn’t matter, and we could find better uses for our resources. He feels my display of resolve will lead to the end of detente, and that my actions would lead the United States back into the armed conflict.”

“Sir, in summary, I believe the man to be the southern end of a northbound horse.”

“I was consistently polite, I did not argue with him, I simply presented him with a fiat accompli.”

I was saved from saying more by the arrival of my food. “Amy, would you like something more to eat while we are here?”

“Oh no Admiral, I’ve already eaten, but if I could get a coke later that would be great.”

The Admiral looked over at Amy, “I’m sure that can be arranged. You are very polite, young lady.”

“Thank you Admiral,” she stammered, blushing.

While the Admiral was talking with Amy the stewards served our breakfasts.

“Beth, I was impressed with the way you handled James Lewis. He’s been a pain in the posterior for years. I’m particularly interested in why you dropped specification six and withheld imposing the death penalty on Specification two and five.”

“You may have guessed, but I managed to snag two very good attorneys. Specification five and six were dropped because CID is still investigating his finances, and other issues. This way eliminated any possible claim of double jeopardy. In other words, he can still be charged.”

“The death penalty in Specification 2 was dropped to speed the process along. I satisfied myself as to the facts, and determined I wanted him out of here as soon as possible. We deliberately left Specification 2 open ended for a year and a day to cover any additional deaths caused by his action.”

“So, Article 32 proceedings allowed me to accept a plea bargain where I really gave up almost nothing, while still maintaining the government’s right to prosecute him as circumstances dictate.”

“You continue to amaze me. You have in five days sent a General officer to the stockade for life, AND managed to restart Babylift. The estimates were that would take somewhere between 10 days and 2 weeks, and that assumed you would figure out in the first couple days that James Lewis was responsible and needed to be removed.”

“So you expected that?”

“Beth, I did. Had I told you my assumptions before you had a chance to see for yourself it may have prejudiced you and THAT might have blown up in all our faces. Lewis was a political officer. He got where he was by kissing ass, a lot of it. I was certain knowing the senior officers in Guam, and your Dad’s reputation that you would quickly handle it, though it might have taken 4 or 5 days longer.”

“That you will have 1200 to 1500 children moved out by the end of the sixth day is a remarkable achievement.”

“Cindy, what were the children like?”

“Much quieter than a comparable number of kids stateside. Their escorts told them they needed to be quiet, and they were.”

“What was their physical condition?”

“What I saw of the kids indicated they were healthy overall. There’s a lot of culture they are going to have to get used to.

“Oh, such as?”

“I’ve not spent enough time with them to be able to give you a meaningful report. What I know is from the volunteers that came with them.”

He left speaking to her to his aide, Commander Bob Vigoda. Later she told me that he pumped her for her impressions of Guam, and the various Flag officers.

I got to be subjected to the Admiral’s curiosity and company.

“But what’s this I heard about your flight home?”

“My Dad went down, as you know. At the time I came up with alternative strategies, which did not count on immediate Helicopter and Pararescue Jumpers, I worked out two actions that would allow me to get down to help Dad and Ozzie, his weapon systems officer, who was more severely injured than my dad. One relied on an untested means of saving the Phantom and getting me in the water. The second is tried and true, me and my Whizzo ejecting, but would not save the Phantom. By hanging around the 10 minutes necessary, I was able to avoid either the high risk, or high cost options.”

“Then what did you consider “high risk.”?”

“Trading places with my Whizzo and kicking myself free of the Phantom with the rear seat main chute at the top of an Immelman during the weightless phase of the maneuver.

“Do you really think you could have pulled it off?”

I mopped my plate of syrup and took the last bite of my French toast. Then I grinned. “I sure do.”

“Beth, I’m done underestimating you. I will endorse your actions, of which I’ve already had several reports. You might like to know your father is causing 17 kinds of hell because he’s stuck on the Midway. His Whizzo is going to make it. He’s going to need several surgical procedures to get him back to duty, but he will make it, the rescue helicopter from the Midway made it very clear that you were instrumental is saving both your Father and his Weapons Systems Operator’s life. They were amazed by you.”

“Admiral Young, all I did was hang around and help Daddy and Ozzie stay where the chopper could find them.”

“Beth I have, a number of unsolicited reports that tell a very different story.”

“This one is from the Pilot of the rescue helicopter, endorsed by all three PJ’s (pararescue jumpers), an F-4 pilot, and the doctor on the rescue helicopter: Your “dogged determination to stay at the scene, to ensure getting the helicopter to the right location… Her visual inspection of the stricken Phantom and crew… Her verbal instructions to both the Pilot, AND the Weapon Systems Operator directly lead a minimal level of confusion and time in the water… Her willingness to stay with the crippled Phantom and talk them through several maneuvers through concise verbal instructions for changing the heading and altitude… Her intimate knowledge of ejection procedures and careful instruction to the pilot and WSO in preparing for and executing the ejection… Her extensive knowledge of hardware… Her demonstrated medical knowledge of the patient’s injuries… Her clear understanding of the mental deterioration of the Pilot and WSO during the emergency… Her clear and concise reports to the rescue helicopter of the patient’s physical condition and mental acuity… All these determined the positive outcome of the rescue. She is the primary reason the pilot and the weapons systems operator lived through shrapnel wounds and their plane being fatally damaged.”

“By the way Beth, the F-4 Pilot on the helicopter has over 2000 hours in the Phantom, He said you were doing such a competent job he would never have dreamed of interrupting you. He also said of the entire incident if he was coaching the crew he was not sure they would have responded the way they did.”

“I also have a statement from the Airborne Control plane: “Had she not fully understood the scope of the damage to the plane and the injuries of the crew it is likely the crew would have perished when their Phantom ran out of fuel. We will be re-evaluating emergency procedures in light of this incident.”

“Your own weapons systems operator says: “Her clear knowledge of the ejection seat was far more than I was ever given. She knew how to exit her Phantom without using the ejection seat, and certainly had no doubts on how to get to the water from 18000 feet. She scared the living hell out of me, but I’d fly a Phantom with her to hell and back, any day; and be certain of coming out alive afterwards.”

“Jack Edwards, who has over 1000 hours in the Phantom said much the same thing: “She was doing such a good job, and demonstrated skill in working with people who were wounded that there was No way in Hell I was going to interrupt her. She did it far better than I ever would have been able to.”

“Her A-4M escorts, reiterated what the others have said, they stayed out of it because she was doing a better job than they could.”

“Well, I see we’ve all finished, here are your morning briefings, and neatly punched to go in your notebook for later reading. I’m sure you want to freshen up, so Bob and I will wait here while you ladies get ready to face the Hospital. Amy, will you stay and talk to me?”

“Yes sir, you want me to talk about the Angel?”

Cindy and I used the first floor bathroom. I had my weapons and my purse. The laundry service had done a great job, I had no issues, at all. Yesterday had been profitable. The day before had been illustrative of what my team could do. “Honey, don’t listen too closely at what they say. I’m still just a girl trying to just do what’s right.”

“You goofess. You really don’t believe what that rescue helicopter said about you, and you don’t believe Jack, and you don’t believe what Fred said.”

She reached over and turned my face towards her. “You really don’t believe what these fine men and the Admiral said. Honey, that’s as bad as the person who brags about themselves and never does anything. I think that’s very sad.” She pulled me close to her. “I’ll tell you what. I’ll read everything written about you over the last three days. You’ll truly be amazed when I read and see and then tell you about it. As far as yesterday goes, Honey you did do an unbelievably good job. And you did it spectacularly. Okay Thelma, let’s go.”

“Who are you calling Thelma?”

“You silly, I figured Thelma is the feminine form of Thomas. So instead of calling you a doubting Thomas, I’ll just call you Thelma”

“This is going to be a long day.”

“That’s right Thelma,” she teased. “I’m thinking of finding that sandwich board and copying everything they’ve said about you.”

“Okay, I get it, it’s already annoying. Let’s not keep the admiral waiting. Should we dance?”

“I don’t think the Admiral is the dancing kind of guy. Straight talk, the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.”

“Aw… Cindy, please?”

“Come on Honey, you’ve got people to encourage, a staff to praise, an interview to do, and lackeys to flog.”

“Cindy! Please??”

Cindy led us out to join the Admiral and Bob (Gomer Pyle) Vigoda.

“What interview?”

“Oh, did I forget to tell you about that Beth?” The admiral asked.

I started to hyperventilate. “Just the details, please.”

Well the local TV and radio station wants to interview you, “The Angel of the Bay.”

“Relax Beth, you’ll do fine.”

“Promise?”

The Admiral laughed, “I promise Beth. If you want I’ll sit in the interview with you.”

“I don’t want to spaz out Admiral, it’s just they ALWAYS want me to smile, and be photogenic.”

“Is that so bad?”

We boarded a mini-bus for the ride to the hospital. Bob and Amy sat at the front of the bus, the Admiral, Cindy and I walked to the back. We were about as private as could be.

“Admiral, I’ve been presenting a cold, unemotional, very professional image.”

“Did you feel that way? Or did you school yourself that way?”

“I guess I got trapped by the Lewis hearing, and didn’t let my guard down afterwards, I think the only real smiles I’ve had since I got here were with the girls, the “apprentice angels,” night before last.”

“Beth, you really should back off the attitude unless you actually need it. You will find yourself relaxing more, and smiling more. You’ve “established your dominance” as the anthropologists would say, when you’ve had to be, you were. You’ve got things moving. You fulfilled your orders. I could let you go home now and you would be a hero.”

“I’m not going to do that. You’ve made yourself indispensable, accidentally I’m certain. I’ve your next mission, you’ll need to do it, along with the rest of the BabyLift.”

“Why am I getting this sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach?”

“Probably because you are a skilled observer.”

Cindy joined the conversation, “Just what do you want her to do?” It was clear Cindy was exercising her own form of dominance, a spouse’s protective dominance. The hackles on the back of her neck were clearly rising.

“Pardon me Cindy, I didn’t mean to seem obtuse. What I want is Beth, and You spearheading Operations Whirlwind and Welcome Home, the evacuation of Vietnamese allies of the United States who want to immigrate to the United States.”

I slumped down into the seat, in a whisper I asked, “How many?”

The Admiral smiled, “Over 100,000.”

I’m sure I turned an interesting shade of very pale green. “Why did I eat breakfast,” I moaned.

“Beth, I’ll not apologize, you are the best for the job, and you’ve proved it.”

“Admiral, do you know how old I am?”

“What I know is you are younger than your ID.”

In little more than a whisper, “Sir, I’m only twenty-one.”

In his first real demonstration of emotion he sat bolt upright, looked back and forth, and then continued in the same way I told him, “My dear, I am so very sorry this burden has been laid on your shoulders, you should still be in school.”

“Admiral, I am ALWAYS in school.” I answered.

“Beth, you know what I mean.”

“Yes, I do. Sometimes I’d like to just run away, Cindy and I, and stay away for a month or more.”

“When the time comes, I would consider an invitation to your wedding something to be cherished. I would love to go, and I wish you could be married publically, openly, without fear, with the honor you deserve.”

Not even thinking I responded “Honor First,”

Cindy stepped in, “Honor Last.”

Together we finished it, with a surprised Admiral, “Always Honor.”

I squared my shoulders, sat up in my seat, and gave the Admiral my answer, “I’ll take your damned job. I have no choice, no choice at all. If it is possible, I will do it.”

“Is your personal honor that important?”

“Yes Admiral, it is.”

“Good. We are in agreement. I will never ask you to do more than I believe you can do. If you do not meet a task, or goal, on my honor, I will defend you. Because I know you will do your best. If you ever believe you cannot complete an assignment, I will trust you to tell me.”

“I suppose I can’t ask for anything more than that.”

“You and your fiancé are incredible women Beth Pruett. Yes, I know. I don’t think anyone else on my staff suspects, but do keep a low profile on that part of your life.”

“We’d already realized that Admiral,” Cindy stepped in. “Neither of us want to be subject to the prejudice so common in our country.”

“Good decision.” He looked to see Bob and Amy were occupied up front. In a small, quiet, almost fearful way he told us. “I’ve had two daughters, the youngest was April. She would be almost your age. She killed herself. She was a lesbian. She was madly in love with a woman. Her mother and I made sure she knew we loved her, and that we would always love and protect her. She and her love, Jenny were always welcome in our house, and they stayed with us frequently. Both April and Jenny enjoyed being there. They’d been at our house over the Independence Day holiday. The next day Jenny was mugged, raped repeatedly and killed in broad daylight on July 8th 1972, almost three years ago. My wife and I did everything we could to get April to come home. She wouldn’t. Two days later April took her own life. She left her Mom and me a note. In it she said she couldn’t always live at home, that she loved us, but she couldn’t live in this world of hate without Jenny. Now you know my deepest, darkest secret. I tell you because you deserve to know, I don’t know if I could live with myself if I didn’t pass my love for my daughter on to others. You two are not the first I’ve nurtured or protected, nor will you be the last.”

Cindy and I turned him into an Admiral sandwich as we all tried to hug the hurt away. I’m sure Bob Vigoda didn’t know what to make of it.

All three of us had “watering eyes,” as we studiously tried to assume an attitude of stoicism. Especially as the mini-bus pulled up to the hospital. 1030 hours exactly.

We walked up and in to the hospital, the children’s wing was as noisy as I’d thought it would be.

“I took the liberty last evening of visiting your hospital/refugee rehabilitation center. We’re meeting in the auditorium, there were too many people to do it any place else. The volunteers all wanted to meet you Beth, and there were others who deserved to be here. I know you’ll be uncomfortable, but, I understand you know that embarrassment isn’t fatal.” He grinned.

“You’ve been talking to my Dad!”

“Yep, I have.”

We entered the auditorium through the stage entrance, Cindy and Amy were led down a set of stairs, I was led up and onto the stage. I looked out over the people who wanted to be here. The auditorium looked to be full. There was a table with a banner behind it, “Operation Babylift.” I heard someone shout out, “Attention on Deck, CINCPAC arriving. CINCRfG arriving.”

The entire auditorium stood up and started clapping. Admiral Young walked me over to one end of the table and had me take a seat. Under the banner stood the National Colors, Service Flags (Army, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard), the territorial flag of Guam, and four flags, showing the ranks of the General Officers present. Several joined me behind the table, Tim, Levi, David and General Clayton, USMC, and Admiral Harris from the Article 32 hearing. The lights on the stage made it difficult to see the audience. I saw a solid line of my “Angels in Training” sitting on the floor in front of the first row. All of my staff were there. It was nice to see the Base Hospital and the field hospital sitting together, Jack Edwards, Snoopy, Turk, and Fred were there. Ted was at the table with me, looking terribly conspicuous with only a single star. A feeling I knew well, was it really less than a week ago? I counted days, six days ago.

Admiral Young stepped to the podium, “please be seated. I’ve asked you here today to learn about some things that will affect each and every one of you. My only regret is Chip Pruett and his Wizzo, Richard Cleveland, are still in the sick bay of the USS Midway. Chip in particular is driving people crazy already.” Several in the audience laughed.

“As of last night, 537 small children and 27 volunteers have arrived from Vietnam. Four C-5’s are currently in Saigon, and will be back in the early evening. As of today Operation BabyLift will have evacuated over 1600 children from Vietnam. Based on performance, this operation has already received a Presidential Unit Citation.” The audience clapped enthusiastically. “Additionally, any person serving Operation Babylift, or subsequent evacuations qualifies for the joint service operations ribbon.”

“We have a new acronym, as if we didn’t have enough. CINCRfG. I’m pleased to announce Lieutenant General Linda Elizabeth Pruett has been appointed the First CINCRfG.” The audience started clapping.” The Admiral tried to shush them.

“One of the nicest things I get to do is recognize units and individuals, handing out medals and citations. I’m here to do exactly that. General Pruett, could you join me please?”

“A lot of you know General Pruett, and her father Chip. Beth, I want to give you, for your father and his Wizzo Richard Cleveland, the Purple Heart.” He presented me with the cases, I smiled for the cameras, and I turned to sit down.

“Uh Beth, I’m not done. You have been nominated by two or more Flag rank Officers for the Distinguished Service Ribbon by each of the major commands on Guam, I have approved those nominations. It is my pleasure to present to you, the Army Distinguished Service Ribbon, The Air Force Distinguished Service Ribbon, and the Navy Distinguished Service Ribbon.. You have also been nominated and confirmed, and it is my pleasure to present to you the Department of Defense Distinguished Service Ribbon, your second I believe?” I just nodded. “To my knowledge you are the first person ever to have been nominated, confirmed, and presented with all four Distinguished Service Ribbons, all at the same time. What you have done so far is frankly unbelievable. I am pleased to confirm these on behalf of the President of the United States, and a grateful nation.”

Applause again was enthusiastic by the audience. I smiled for the obligatory picture, then turned to sit back down.

“Uh Beth, I’m still not done.” This time the audience laughed. “Beth proved to everyone yesterday that she deserves the wings and the stars she wears. She realized, to lead such a group of people as you, she needed to be willing to lead by example. Rather than sit at a desk, or ride into conflict, she lead by flying her F-4 in defense of the restart of Operation Babylift, thus making it clear to Hanoi that while the U.S. is no longer an active belligerent, we will enforce our rights to evacuate our citizens, which we have concluded includes a majority of orphan children in Vietnam, as the children of U.S. Servicemen.”

“After seeing the Ambassador, Beth climbed back in her F-4 to return to Guam. With A-6 aircraft and AC130 Spooky gunships overhead, The C-5’s took off, followed by the F-4’s. Shortly after takeoff Angel 02 took a hit by anti-aircraft fire. The AC130’s suppressed any further enemy action.”

This was not her first time in combat, nor was it the first, or even the 51st rescue operation she was involved in. By her valor, her intimate knowledge of her trade as a fighter pilot and knowledge of medicine, she is directly responsible for saving the life of General Chip Pruett, and Captain Richard Cleveland.”

“Based on the testimony of the helicopter crew, pararescue jumpers, and doctor, the early warning and control aircraft, and the individual testimonies of her fellow F-4 Phantom Pilots, and the six A-6 Intruder Pilots, it is my very great honor to present General Linda Elizabeth Pruett with the Distinguished Flying Cross on the behalf of the President of the United States and a grateful nation.” The audience went nuts with applause.

The Citation Reads:

“On April 8, 1975 after providing armed air cover for the C-5 Galaxy Aircraft an F-4 Phantom II was hit by fire from the ground. The right side engine failed, engine oil and hydraulic oil quickly drained, staining the right side of Angel 02. Of greater importance, the crew were both wounded by shrapnel. The loss of the hydraulic fluid crippled many of the control surfaces and made a water landing of Angel 02 impossible. The safety/firing mechanism to the pilot’s ejection seat was damaged. Angel 01 and Airlift 01 also took hits from the ground. Lt. General Linda Elizabeth Pruett, call sign “Angel” examined Angel 02. While flying inverted in close proximity General Pruett ascertained the nature and severity of the crew’s injuries. Angel 02 only had short range radio. Lt. General Pruett, issued a MAYDAY call on Guard. A rescue helicopter of VNS-51 from the USS Midway was dispatched.”

“General Pruett coached Angel 02 down from 18000 feet to 7500, and coached Angel 02 to throttle back on the remaining engine, slowing the aircraft, and facilitating the ejection of the crew. While again flying inverted over Angel 02 General Pruett ascertained the condition of both members of the crew. Both ejection seats were armed. From overhead she ensured the crew’s feet were in the protective loops that would stabilize their legs during the ejection.

When the Midway Helicopter arrived on scene General Pruett once again flew inverted over Angel 02 and provided critical information about the status of Angel 02 and injuries to the crew. Finally, in normal flight she moved clear of the crippled aircraft. She then ran through the process of the actual ejection. Both seats fired as designed, and the crew’s parachutes opened as planned. The USS Midway doctor on the flight later said her visual medical examination of the crew before ejection provided critical information that directly lead to the survival of the crew of Angel 02.

“General Pruett realized Angel 02 was still maintaining level flight, heading north of the former Demilitarized Zone. General Pruett fired two sidewinders, totally destroying the F-4, preventing classified U.S. Technology from falling into North Vietnamese hands.”

“It is unusual to find unanimity amongst all witnesses to an event. The AWAC crew asked to consult with Lieutenant General Pruett to improve policies and procedures. All witnesses to the rescue including aircraft, the Pararescue Jumpers, the Doctor, and the helicopter flight crew are unanimous in this: Lt. Gen Pruett, with her intimate knowledge of all phases of a rescue, and expert knowledge of the hardware systems used is directly responsible for the survival of the crew of Angel 02.”

“Her actions are in accord with the highest standards and traditions of the United States Air Force.”

I wasn’t sure who he was talking about, I know he started talking about me, but the Distinguished Flying Cross? He must be talking about somebody else.

“Yes, you Beth,” Admiral Young reached out to give me the medal, and I walked over to accept it, but it was like I was only sort of there. He reached out and pinned it to my shirt as the audience erupted in applause. “This honor may be superseded. I have received information and will review it today. That information has to do with the probability of death at any time she flew inverted over the stricken Angel02. In particular the medical doctor on the rescue copter has officially recorded his opinion that it was a very dangerous position to be in. Flying inverted, repeatedly, over a damaged Phantom II, with a damaged ejection seat, to medically observe a wounded crew just waiting to eject is the most dangerous thing he can imagine. When worded that way, all the witnesses agreed as to the danger, and that Lieutenant General Pruett’s courageous actions go well above and beyond the call of duty. I have requested a review of the case, with the witness’s statements being included. She truly is a hero.

You could have heard a pin drop.

Chapter Twenty-Three: Say What??

I was on auto-pilot I turned and smiled for the cameras, and Admiral Young pulled me to the microphone. I know I was beet red. “Thank you.” And I turned to sit down, the Admiral intercepted me and led me back to the microphone. The audience laughed. I realized I could actually see the audience as my eyes adjusted to the lights. I smiled, Fred, Jack, Cindy, and Joyce were at either end of my apprentices, keeping the kids focused.

“I’ve no idea why I’ve been awarded this. I was only doing my job,” I protested, the audience laughed at my unwitting joke. “I am absolutely amazed at how the disparate people and units have come together this week. I can only say I never expected any of this. It was a complete surprise when I was given command of Operation Babylift. I was told this morning the conservative best guess of when we would get the first C-5 off the ground would be 10 days to two weeks, after my arrival. You, each and every one of you, are the reason we cut that time down to four days.”

“I am profoundly grateful to you. You are the ones responsible for the Presidential Unit citation. You are the ones who have taken the children into your hearts, and you are the ones who accomplished a miracle.”

“Thank you all so very much.” The applause was even louder this time. I sat down, stunned.

Admiral Young went back to the podium. “As I said, this is my favorite thing to do as CINCPAC. Thank you for being here.” The audience stood, getting ready to leave. The Admiral said, “Oh, by the way, I was informed earlier today that the second “Babylift Flight” landed safely in Saigon. I was, moments ago, handed a note. Angel Flight zero two has left Vietnam. They will arrive early this evening with one thousand, one hundred and seventeen babies and young children, and forty-three adult volunteers. Operation Babylift has now exceeded President Ford’s estimate of the number of children to be evacuated, and there are so many left to bring home. The audience began to cheer. I began to cry, I was incredibly grateful we’d evacuated that many children.

After the awards ceremony Admiral Young led me off the stage and out in the hall where punch and cookies had been set out, “Mingle for a while Beth, these are your people, let them know you’re here for them.”

So I did. Most of the time Admiral Young was close by, and I watched how he handled it, and tried to do as well as he did. When he wasn’t close at hand Cindy or Ted was. Suddenly, I realized, instead of being a tedious chore it was a pleasure. I got a glimpse of the joy Admiral Young spoke of in recognizing and rewarding others. That I didn’t really know most of them didn’t seem to matter. What mattered is I took the time to talk to them.

I was amazed at the sheer variety of the audience. One of the “volunteers” was actually a graduate student from Columbia University in New York. She had gone to Vietnam to study the interaction between G.I.s and the people of Vietnam, and had fallen in love with the children. She had learned Vietnamese, and was heartbroken at the tragedy that had fallen on the South. I asked her if she would be willing to stay on and help with the impending arrival of refugees. Paid, of course. She asked if she could think about it. I smiled and told her that was fine.

Another, a man, had grown up in Alaska, to a family of traveling itinerate lumberjacks. He had been drafted, and when his service was done had flown back to Vietnam, he was still learning Vietnamese and had been working in an orphanage run by the Seventh Day Adventist Church. He told me he went back to Vietnam because he didn’t want to be cold. I laughed with him at that. He would be traveling on with the children, the Church was sending him to school. He would become a Medical Doctor. To say he was intrigued with me would be an understatement. It wasn’t until ten minutes later that I realized he’d been flirting with me. When I did, I know I blushed from my breasts to the top of my head. It was flattering, really. I told him I was engaged, and showed him my ring. He talked with me some more anyway.

I knew my Dad would be laughing if he’d seen me.

Then of course there were my apprentices. Each now had a uniform on, and each was excited about the babies. Even Elise had found a uniform in her size, though the skirt needed to be hemmed up because it went down to her ankles. And each of them wanted to hug me and tell me thank you.

People began to move away, finally the Admiral (I still couldn’t get myself to call him Roger) pulled Cindy and I aside.

“Ladies, you have a day off. Because I know you have an intense curiosity you may spend one hour looking at the babies, volunteers, and hospital. You may also have 15 minutes to examine your patient Seaman 2nd Anthony Sivichi. That means at 1230 you will be waiting at the front door of the hospital. You will be going with me to lunch, which I am providing at the O club. After lunch, get lost. I don’t want you to burn out from overwork. So, I don’t want to see you on post until dinner time. You will be dining at General Tim Tyner’s “house” at 6:30, along with me and 75 of our closest friends.”

“As my one additional dispensatory indulgence you may visit your 2 new aircraft. All of your aircraft are stationed in close proximity to your hanger and 707. You now have: two experimental C-5 Galaxy aircraft, Three F-4 Phantom IIs, yours has been repaired and checked out. By the way, your crew- chief has also added a US flag with the Phantom II “phantom” to your list of kills, visibly recording your kill of Angel 02. And you have six A-6 Intruders, and 10 C-5a and b variant Galaxy aircraft purposed to carry evacuees, and a Boeing 707 which you may or may not release back to the COMMACGUAM. The latest count is ten 727 type Aircraft en route, due later today. 10 more 747 type Aircraft are being gathered, eta tomorrow. You don’t even want to think about how many people are working for you, the numbers keep going up. It boggles my mind. But, you will finish the BabyLift in another week. Then you need to gear up for the mass evacuation of US, and allied personnel.”

“Your next official meeting is tomorrow at 09:30 in the conference room aboard your C-5. Your chef is laying in fresh supplies for you and your staff, so don’t be stingy with the hospitality. It actually pays huge dividends in the long run. I’ve already told him to lay in chocolate in every form imaginable, and lots of it.”

“You have a jeep and a car assigned to you, semi-permanently. And, unfortunately, you still have your Marine security detail. Go see a movie, find a nice beach, or visit the locals. Just take the rest of the day off and relax. If that means sitting in your room quietly, fine. Whatever you need. I will fill in for you today, applying the same combination of love and quality leadership you provide. I will NOT, however, wear a skirt. Which brings me to my next learning session for you. Tomorrow, you need to wear a skirt, and please apply your make-up with a bit more accentuation. You are scheduled to do an interview for Guam TV and Radio Guam. At the same time you will be taped, and interviewed by Armed Forces Radio/TV. The makeup tip comes courtesy of my female yeoman. She says if you don’t, the TV people will paint you like a clown. Just don’t stress on it. Remember, I could have told you in the morning.”

“Ted is working with your new staff, making arrangements for the dispersal of the kids. Yesterday’s children will be leaving in the morning, today’s children the day after. Good call on his promotion by the way. He was due to get a star soon anyway. Today’s load will fit in the nursery you ordered constructed. I’m guessing that is the absolute limit until we find somewhere else to place them. The SeaBees are turning out six crib sets 4 high by 4 wide per hour. They’re plain wood, but they are smooth, and clean.”

I interrupted him, “I need to tell Ted that the Governor of California is planning on shipping 1 plane filled with Baby Supplies today, tomorrow, and next week. It will be a cornucopia. I was tired, frustrated and in tears when I spoke to him day before yesterday, or yesterday. It was actually a good conversation, my first with Governor Moonbeam.”

“Cindy, I’d like you to be with Beth tomorrow at the TV Studio, same guidelines for makeup, I’d like you to find the two cutest, most loving children among those who’ve been evacuated. A boy and a girl. If possible, I would like one of the children to be clearly “American.” Blond hair, blue eyes would be nice, but not required. I don’t want to seem to be “using” a child, but having a child there who is demonstrably affectionate will go far in helping the ultimate relocation of the children.”

“Beth, you’ve done it. Before we start getting refugees, we will build a couple of Tent Cities. They will be re-located as soon as possible. They will be behind wire, with guards, but there will be no attempt to keep them there, within reason. I expect an open door during the day, closed at night. But it sure as hell beats a bullet or reeducation center. My guess is you have a few more flights of children, then move on to the evacuation of Americans.”

“Do you know what you’re going to do with your Seaman 2nd Beth?”

“I was hoping to be inspired overnight. I really don’t know what I want to do with him. If he stays clean and sober, I want him retained. If he blows it, I’ll send him to the stockade.”

“That’s better than anyone in his situation could hope for.”

“I just pray he doesn’t screw this up. It could be really bad for me. Want to join me, maybe put a little CINCPAC fear in him?”

He grinned like a kid, “Sure, should be fun.”

I found his room, knocked and walked on in. “Tony, how are you doing?”

“Angel!”

“Tony, I would rather you call me Beth. We’ll be working together a lot, and I prefer to keep things as informal amongst ourselves as we can. If it proves to be a problem then I can get stricter, but let’s try it my way first. I’d like to introduce you to my Boss, CINCPAC Admiral Roger Young, and my very best friend, Major Cynthia Hayes.”

“Thank you for coming Ma’am. Sir, I’m grateful for your visit. Ma’am you are so lucky, being her friend and working with her.” He managed to greet all three of us.

“Tony, I just wanted to be sure you understood something. General Pruett wants to try you out in a new program instead of sending you directly to the Stockade.”

“Sir?”

“That’s right. You’ll be transferring from your current billet and be assigned to duties aboard her airborne office aircraft. You’ll be billeted in the On-Board living quarters. You’ll get a new start. But make no mistake, if you blow this chance, you’ll be turned over to the MP’s and in the stockade so fast it will take a day for your clothes to catch up to you.”

“Thank you Ma’am, Sir, I won’t let you down.”

“Tony, understand this. If you blow this, you won’t be the only one who’s hurt. People will look at me and say, “What a fool she is!” Tony you would make it harder to do what I’m doing. I’m willing to go to bat, even get my Boss to sign off on something he doesn’t really approve of, but listen to him well. You’ll be in the stockade, and I’ll be in the doghouse. I’ve thousands upon thousands of people counting on me to get them out of Vietnam. The Admiral told me this morning, there’s over 100,000 people waiting for me to help them out. Please don’t make this harder for me than it already is.”

“I understand Ma’am. You healed me, how could I ever forget that?”

“Tony, only God can heal. I’m just trying to help who I can.”

“Yes Ma’am.”

“How are you feeling?”

“Ma’am, I feel great! All I had for the pain was two aspirin yesterday, nothing today, I don’t hurt, it’s a tiny bit sore, but I feel good.”

“I’ve one more thing to do, where did you inject the heroin?”

“I always did it in my arms. Right here and here.” Tony indicated the inside of his elbows. I looked for tracks, the scarring that takes place when a site is used over and over to inject illegal drugs. There were faint scars, but they looked to be much older than the week since his last fix.

“They’ve healed over. I’m glad Tony. I’m ordering some tests. They will tell me what drugs you’ve used, and when. I need the tests so I won’t make a mistake in the future, questioning you about drug use. For the next few months Cindy or I will be testing you frequently. You won’t know in advance when I might order a drug test. It’s not that I don’t trust you, I want to trust you. It’s just, with your history, I’m going to have to be able to show others you’ve stayed clean and sober.”

“One of the things I’m going to ask of you tomorrow is where you got your drugs, and who gave them to you. You’re not helping anyone by protecting them. But, just maybe, you’ll be able to help someone else. When I release you from service to me, you’ll start with a clean slate. Tony, it’s not many people who get a chance to start over. Please don’t let me, and yourself down. I’ll stop in and see you tomorrow. Plan on moving to your new quarter’s day after tomorrow in the afternoon.”

Tony had started quietly dripping tears. “Ma’am, thank you. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.”

“General, I want to be clear. If he fails, you will not be able to implement this program, nor will you be able to save him. Diverting a drug user to a program to help them looks good on paper. You are going to have to demonstrate that it works.”

“Yes sir, thank you sir.” Admiral Young gave me a ferocious growl and walked out the door. “Now it’s up to you Tony. Tell me about your family.”

“Ma’am, I’ve a Mom and Dad, and two sisters, we, well they live in Queens, one of the boroughs of New York City. My Mom’s a teacher, and my Dad is a police dispatcher, Supervisor. He’s worked for the Police Department for 23 years. I’m the youngest. One Sister is 25 and married. Lucy has a boy and a girl. My other Sister, Alice, is a student at New York City College. She wants to be a teacher like Mom.”

“It sounds like a nice family, one that would be disappointed if you got busted.”

“Ma’am, that’s an understatement.”

“Why don’t you ask the nurse for a pen and paper and write to them. I wouldn’t mention the drugs, but you could tell them you’re being transferred to a new position. I’m sure they would like to hear from you. How old are you Tony?”

“I’m nineteen Ma’am, October 18th is my birthday.”

“Tony, I want to arrange weekly visits with a chaplain, can you do that? I’ll even sit it with you till we find one that can work with us. Will that be okay with you Tony?

“Ma’am, I’m not really any particular church. But if you say so, I’ll meet with the chaplains, just like you say.”

“He’s got to be someone you and I can get along with. I’ll see if we can find one for you to meet tomorrow or the next day.

“Well, you’re getting a new life, and kind of a new birthday. Get your rest. Your new job will be very busy some times, and often boring. You’re going to have to be a self-starter, look around and see what needs doing. Tony, you are going to do so well in this new position.” I gave him a smile, “You’re going to learn many things about me and my staff. Like, did you know I’m also a Police Officer, and a Doctor? Things like that. Well, not a good example, I don’t care who knows about that, but you’re going to hear and see things that you cannot talk about. I think I would be very excited if I were you.”

“Yes Ma’am, I am Ma’am.”

“Relax now and get your rest. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Goodbye Ma’am, thank you Ma’am.”

I walked into the hall, where the Admiral was waiting for me. We followed the sounds till we made it to the Children’s ward. “Admiral, Tony is just a kid, just nineteen years old. I’m glad you had such a great idea. I’m just afraid I’ve brought a puppy home.”

“Yeah, I know what you mean. Is your life always this eventful?”

I stopped, and kind of slumped against the wall. “Yes sir. I’m never bored. Dad fills my “official” time, and Mom does her best to see that I’m a lady during the rest of the time. If nothing else is going on I’ll be studying. It’s like Dad’s plane going down yesterday. The information is all there about the ejection seat, geez the manual for the F-4 is usually in every ready room I’ve been in. I know they only teach the rudiments of it, but I’ve read the whole flipping’ manual. I guess you could say I’m a speed reader. If I read something, I remember it. That’s how I’ve finished the requirements for my M.D. Ted would send me home with 5 or 6 text books, I’d read them during the week. Take them back, Ted would test me on the contents and send me home with another 5 or 6 text books. When I was in the VA Hospital, It was all hands on training. I could count on twenty to forty hours a week in the operating rooms, labs, Emergency Room or doing rounds. It’s not supposed to be a teaching hospital, but it was for me. The reading is handy, but like I said earlier, I’d really like a long vacation.”

“Me too!” Cindy looked embarrassed, “uh… I’m not too enthusiastic am I? I can’t wait for our honeymoon,” she said, grinning at the Admiral from ear to ear. It was nice knowing we had an ally. Someone who cared and would do his best to keep our “secret.”

We opened the door to the ward and the cacophony of sound hit us full blast. Well, considering the number of kids it wasn’t really that loud, kind of like a dull roar. One of the volunteers saw us and we suddenly had a guide. At the other end of the corridor, one of the volunteers was teaching an English class. Other volunteers sort of wandered from room to room, making sure all was well. The teacher said something in Vietnamese to the children, they turned around and saw me. The next thing I know I’m being mobbed by 500 kids who wanted to thank me, touch me, whatever they were able to do, I started leaking happy tears. I pulled out a Kleenex to dab at my eyes, trying to keep from messing up my makeup.

“There you are, see silly, I told you she wouldn’t just leave us.” Amy rejoined us.

“Where did you get off too?” I asked her.

“After I had punch, I went with Elise up to play with the babies. I kept your notebook safe.”

“Thank you Amy. I’m going to be doing a lot of boring stuff for a little while, then the Admiral told me take half the day off. So I think Cindy and I are going to lay out by the pool.”

“What about me?”

“If you want, you’re welcome to stay and work in the hospital, it’s going to get real exciting in a few hours. Four of the big C-5 Cargo planes are bringing in about a thousand babies. I’m sure they’ll need all the help they can get. So, you just let me know, okay?”

“Thank you Beth. Can I stay with you and Cindy?”

I looked over at Cindy, who smiled. “Of course honey. Just promise to tell me if you start getting too bored with the adult stuff.”

“Oh no, we could never be bored if you’re there. Besides, I’ve got two Polly Pockets dolls, and we can play with them.”

I pulled the little girl into a hug, and just held her for a few moments. “I am so glad you’re one of my sisters,” I told her, and I realized that I really was, and not just because she claimed to talk with my dead sister. She was a beautiful soul, and she was totally trusting of me. That was kind of scary.

We left the ward, and went downstairs to the warehouse that would be home to children in just a few hours. Here, I let the Admiral take the lead, he’d been here before. The SeaBees were building cribs about as fast as the materials made it to them. We managed to find the CO, and I asked how they were doing, and if they’d be ready in time.

“Ma’am, the SeaBees motto is “Can Do.” I think we’ll have space for 1200 children by 1700 hours. We’ll be working on it for a couple of weeks, working around the kids. We’ll make it bright and cheery. Thank you General Pruett for calling us in. A lot of our guys have kids. What you are doing is wonderful. We get to do something tangible to help those kids. It means a lot to us.”

“George, the Foreman is turning out cribs so fast we’re having trouble keeping up with him and his crew. We’ll be ready Ma’am.”

“Thank you Lieutenant Clay” I read from his name tag.

I checked in with Ted, and let him know “my” patient was going to work for us, and that I’d been banished for the rest of the day.

“Good. The rest of us have had a reasonable amount of down time; something I know you haven’t had. If I thought I could order more rest, I would; but the reality is if you’re not forced, you’ll work yourself to death. Relax, find a beach and soak up some sunshine. You are far too pale to be on Guam.

“Oh thanks Mighty Leader, but to hear is to obey.”

“Don’t get flippant with me Missy. I knew you when!”

“You’re right, I know it, what’s worse is Cindy knows it. I think we’re going to lay out by the pool at Government house. I’m not a fan of the beach; all that sand! Yuck, it gets in places you don’t want to think about, not to mention not having. It’s compounded when you add suntan lotion. The sand sticks to it for goodness sakes. I ask you, would you like wearing sand paper all day? How could you hug the babies?”

“You’re beginning to babble Honey,” Cindy came over to me.

“You might as well roll me in the sand and throw me at the cribs. Sand paper? What grit, Oh, is beach sand okay? Sure, take me! Anything for the Babies. Just don’t let the sand get on them! Coarser you say? Why you filthy 2#%^” Cindy placed her hand over my mouth. It’s a good thing that she did. I was about to get coarser in what I said. Thankfully she knows when I start babbling about the Babies it’s time to stop me.

Ted looked at me, then at Cindy, then at the Admiral, then at me. “I think I stopped her just in time,” Cindy told them.

“Admiral, as her personal physician, I have to tell you, Good Call. She needs a bit of rest. She’s been running non-stop for at least a month. A half day here, a half day there, she’ll be as good as new.”

“Good grief, you mean she can get better?”

“Sir, yes. When she’s in prime condition she can work 40 out of 48 hours, fly home, workout in the morning then work 10 straight 12 hour days and study at night, fly down to see her Dad and Cindy, and repeat it over and over again.”

“I don’t do that!” I protested.

“Honey, you actually do, do that,” Cindy answered.

“Really?”

“Really” Cindy and Ted answered at the same time.

“Oh.”

“Angel, are they teasing you?” My diminutive apprentice wanted to know.

“No Honey, they’re just concerned that I’m working too hard, that’s all.”

“Okay, uh, Sister? They’re right. Ann and I wondered if you were ever going to have time to just be with us.”

“Oh.”

“Admiral, you have just seen two of the rarest phenomena known to man or beast. Beth Pruett reduced to a single syllable. Then shut out with a slam dunk from the younger generation,” Ted replied.

“Well, then I am indeed a fortunate man. Ted, have you had lunch?”

“I planned on getting something at the Cafeteria.”

“Go tell whoever you need to tell that you’re going to lunch, with Cindy, Beth, Amy and I.”

“Thank you, I’ll meet you at the front door.”

We walked back to the entrance, where Ted caught up with us. With my security detail, and the Admiral’s, it took two jeeps. I asked if we could make a short stop at my temporary office, I needed to see what was happening, (and if I was going to be rescued from rest by some emergency or another).

Joyce was at her desk. She and Fred had made plans to eat with Al and Louis, my erstwhile legal team. “Where are the dynamic duo?”

“They have apparently moved into their “temporary” offices, Louis was talking about the paperwork it would take for each and every refugee to fill out prior to going Stateside.”

“And here I thought they would be lounging around.”

“No Beth, the two are very serious about providing you with all the legal aid you’re going to need, or want.”

“Is there anything pressing on my calendar?”

“Not that you’ve told me. I’ve a memo from the Admiral stating you are “not here” for the rest of the day, and that I’m to contact him with anything pressing. Thank you Admiral, I don’t think she knows anything about taking time off. Certainly not since I’ve known her.”

“It’s a conspiracy! Do all my staff feel this way?”

I had to laugh, Joyce, Cindy, Ted, the Admiral, and Admiral Roberts who had just poked his head in, all piped up, “Yes!”

“Okay, okay, I get it. Take time off. Do nothing and don’t feel guilty for doing nothing.”

Ted looked to Admiral Young, “You see, She CAN be taught.” Even I laughed at his joke.

“Joyce, we’ll be moving into our own offices first thing in the morning. We’ll have lights, running water, my own personal chef, an apartment, everything we could possibly need.” Someone’s stomach was growling. Everyone looked at Amy, who was blushing, “excuse me,” she said.

Admiral Young came to her rescue, “Oh no Amy, I’m sorry, and I said we were going straight to lunch.”

“My fault,” I said. Let’s get Amy where she can get some coke, and something to eat!” We trooped outside, climbed into our jeeps and headed to lunch.

The Officer’s Club wasn’t the dingy, smoke filled cesspit I’d feared. In fact it was quite airy and bright, with a large window on one side that opened on the ocean, and a large window on the other side looking out over the runways. Both windows were open allowing a constant breeze; the club had a mix of aircraft memorabilia and Chamorro artifacts decorating the place. We sat down by the ocean window and looked through the menu.

“If you need any help Amy, just ask. Do you know what you’d like to have for lunch?”

“Do they have tuna fish sandwiches?”

“Yes they do, would you like potato chips or French fries?”

“French fries please.”

“And a coke, right?”

“Yes please Angel, shh… you’re not supposed to call her that. Remember she doesn’t want everyone to know. We’re supposed to call her Beth. I know, I think it’s silly too. It’s because she has to help so many people. Well, duh! Okay, let’s be quiet, we’re doing important stuff.”

Ted was listening to her intently. “Do you talk to Beth’s sister a lot?” He asked.

“Yes, she’s my best friend.”

“Would you mind talking to a doctor friend of mine,” he asked her.

“It wouldn’t change anything, I know she’s there, even if other people don’t see or hear her.” Amy replied, intuitively knowing what Ted was getting at.

“Oh, okay, you don’t have to, I just thought it might be a good thing, I still do, but I would never make you or anything like that.”

“Thank you General Ted. My Daddy has taken me to see psychologists and psychiatrists since just after Amy came. There’s nothing wrong with me. It’s just a problem for people who don’t believe in her.”

Admiral Young looked at Amy, then looked up at me. I shook my head. I didn’t want to talk about her, and I surely didn’t want anyone to say anything that might sound like a criticism to an eleven year old girl.

I turned back to the menu. “I think I’m going to go simple, a cheeseburger, with cheddar cheese, ooh and bacon on it, with onion rings. What are you guys looking at?”

Cindy had closed her menu, “I think I’d like the Cobb salad. I’m feeling virtuous today, and your cheeseburger comes with French fries, so I can have some of those too. That’s okay, isn’t it honey?” She looked at me and fluttered her eyelashes at me.

“I know Mama doesn’t like us to stick out our tongues. She said it’s not very ladylike. No, I don’t think you should say anything!” Amy neatly punctured Cindy’s virtuous feelings. Cindy was turning a bright red. And with her strawberry blond hair it looked like someone had lit her head on fire. I pointedly refrained from saying anything.

“That sounds good Cindy, I think I’ll order that too,” Ted quickly distracted Amy before she said anything else. “How come you’re not in school now?” He asked Amy.

“It’s the Easter vacation. We have two whole weeks off! I’m so glad, this way we get to help Angel!”

Amy apparently didn’t notice she called me Angel.

“Admiral, what do you feel like having?” Ted asked.

“I should be good and have a salad, but I find I’m again in agreement with my protégé.”

“Protégé?” I asked.

“Yes. I can’t remember when I last had an officer who moved so quickly, and so decisively. Why? Don’t you want to be my protégé?” he asked with a huge grin on his face.

“Sir, yes, you just caught me off guard.”

“Well there’s a rare moment. Lieutenant General Beth Pruett caught off guard?” Ted had to tease.

“Not always Ted. Why I remember just a few months ago she wasn’t paying attention and said something without thinking first.”

“Really Cindy? When was that?”

“Do you remember when that Colonel from Walter Reed scrubbed up for an appendectomy?”

“Yes, Beth did that procedure, without help. No one advised her at all, and she did so well in front of the inspector. What happened with the Walter Reed doctor? Tell us more.”

“Well, I was watching from the gallery, and I’m sure I heard her clearly. The patient had just been sedated, and Beth was watching, preparing herself for the operation. She palpitated his abdomen, and before she could think I’m sure I heard her say something about enough lard to cook tortillas. Then she blushed, you’ve seen her blush, it starts about the level of her tummy and goes right on up to the top of her head. The surgeon from Walter Reed laughed out loud, and Beth realized what she had done. It was the first time I’d seen anyone blush all around her mask.”

“I wish I’d been there. I didn’t start watching until she’d started cutting. Are you sure she said something without thinking?”

“Well I really think so. Certainly it was a woman’s voice, a voice I know quite well.”

“Well there you are Admiral, even your protégé can occasionally say something without thinking first.”

I just sat there and giggled through the entire story. Cindy caught me at it though. “You know what your Dad would say, don’t you?” I wasn’t thinking, so I blindly walked right into her trap. I shook my head no.

“Lieutenants aren’t supposed to giggle!” I was laughing by that time, and so was everyone else, except Amy.

“Beth, are they picking on you?” she asked.”

“Yes Honey, but it’s all okay, Cindy’s just having fun.”

“I don’t think she should tease you so much.”

“If she was being mean, Ted, or Admiral Young would have stopped her. I remember when it happened, and it WAS funny.”

The waitress came to our table and took our orders.

“I suppose I should ask, what is a protégé supposed to do?” I asked.

Admiral Young had set me up. “Stop calling me Admiral. It’s Roger, or Rog.” He sat back in his chair with a grin on his face.

“You know what my problem is, don’t you? I’ve always felt out of place when calling one of my superiors, no make it, when senior officers say that.”

“Two Points Admiral Young, One point from the free throw line for General Pruett. Buzzz. Game, set, match to the gentleman from Hawaii.”

I thought for a minute. “I’ll make the ultimate sacrifice then, I won’t argue with you about paying for lunch, Rog!”

That set the tone for the lunch, light-hearted, joking, just enjoying being alive and with friends. We moved on to other, more appropriate targets, starting with the US Ambassador to South Vietnam.

“You are going to have to read his telegram to me about you.”

“You got it already and didn’t tell me?” I asked.

“Yep, and I had a good laugh over it. I wanted to hear your thoughts before you saw it. I’ve also received an endorsement for your actions from Major Terry at the Saigon Embassy.”

“Argh, if I’m to be your protégé, and call you Roger, then you have to stop doing this to me!”

“Doing what?”

“Telling me things you know after you’ve teased my side out of me.”

“Beth, has it ever turned out bad for you?”

“No, but…”

“Do you think I don’t trust you?”

“No, but…”

“Will you grant I’ve more experience than you?”

“Yes…”

“Yes?”

“Sorry, I figured you were going to interrupt me.”

“Beth, sometimes I will know things before you. Sometimes it’s because I’ve sources that I can’t tell you about. Sometimes I want your fresh, innocent view of a situation, or of a person. I knew the Ambassador is a numbnut. His reaction was predictable and expected. If you knew what I thought of him would you have treated him the way you did?”

“Well… I don’t know.”

“If you knew what I thought would you have been as straight, unapologetically civil to him?”

“Maybe.”

“Exactly. I wanted you to deal with him without my preconceptions. It was possible that he would have been, “why thank you Beth, I’d love to help,” and I would have been wrong. It was highly unlikely, in my opinion, but it would have been churlish of me to not give him a chance. You have not had the experience to deal with him, knowing that everyone in the military thinks he’s useless and would oppose any possible move the military could make.”

“Ted, jump in here. What do you think? Should I always tell her everything she might encounter, without any preparation?”

I looked expectantly at Ted. Surely he could put into words the things I was thinking.

“No. Beth is an amazingly brilliant woman, but she doesn’t have the experience to treat him the way she did. Had you told her, she would have let that color her words and actions.”

“Ted! How could you…”

“Beth, think about it. You’ve been there when I’ve told a patient they have a terminal condition. I almost stopped having you do rounds with me when I knew I had bad news, and you knew what that news would be.”

“Ted, I don’t think I do, do I?”

“Honey, listen to Ted and the Admiral. They’re right.” Cindy told me.

I found myself closing my mouth. Three people I trusted were telling me the same thing. That I didn’t realize it didn’t change the truth. If all three were telling me the same thing then odds were that I did exactly what they were saying. “I didn’t know I did that.”

“Beth that is one of your strongest characteristics. When you hear something, you don’t reject it automatically. You are willing to admit you might be wrong. I’m absolutely certain you would not be as effective as you are if you weren’t that way.”

“Can we change the subject? You may be right, almost certainly are, but I need to think through what you’ve said.”

Ted jumped in, “See, you’re doing it again!”

“Doing it?”

“Yes,” Ted and Cindy said at the same time.

The Admiral spoke up, “You are willing to learn from being wrong. You do not defend yourself against all comers, “to Hell with them, I’m Right.” You admit your error, and learn from it. That is so very rare. Most people refuse to ever admit they’re wrong.”

“But I know I can make mistakes. And when I make mistakes, someone may die. So I have to learn, I have to make better decisions. I’m not Superman, I’m not even Supergirl. When I am on a rescue, or when I’m in the emergency or operating room, if I make a mistake I can kill someone. I HAVE killed. Thank God it’s a very small number. But I learn from them and always get better.” No one seemed to understand what I was trying to say. Even Cindy didn’t understand. I know I was getting frustrated.

Amy crawled up into my lap. She whispered into my ear. “Sister, they understand, they are trying to tell you that. It’s not normal for a twenty-one year old to be so mature. They’re trying to help you.”

I whispered back to her. “How do you know?”

“Your sister told me.” She wrapped her arms around my neck and hugged me. Then she said in her normal voice, “It’s okay Angel, they love you.”

I know she couldn’t have heard what Amy whispered to me, but Cindy told me, “Listen to us Honey, we do love you. You are doing very well. That’s all we are trying to tell you.” Then Cindy came and hugged me and Amy, and Amy? Was there really someone in there with her? Sometimes she said things that were so unlikely in a 10 year old girl.

Being hugged made it hard to hold onto what had upset me. I sighed, deeply. “Okay.” I said it just to get them to change the subject. I would be thinking on this for a long time.

“Admiral, sir, would you consider it work if I went to the Midway to pick up my Dad?”

“Okay, maybe I deserved that tone of voice. It won’t do you any good. He’s on his way here. He should arrive in time for dinner.”

“Thank you Roger, thank you very much.”

We were all done eating, Cindy, Amy and I went to Governor’s house. Roger headed back to the hospital, he’d remembered his Aide, and wanted to just look around the Island. He had no plans, apart from checking in once an hour to check on things.

Cindy, Amy, and I went to the pool, where we just absorbed the wondrousness of sunlight. We traded amongst the three of us suntan lotion duties. Cindy in particular, with her strawberry red hair and freckles needed it. She burned really easy. My dark brown hair and Mediterranean colored skin needed it the least. Amy was there, and truth be told, she did most of the rubbing the lotion in. She was also a clock Nazi. Every 15 minutes she hounded us until we turned over. She would then apply more lotion.

I’m not sure Amy understood how appreciated she was. She got her share of lotion, but that girl would have rubbed lotion onto us all day, if we let her. What almost seemed unfair was how much she enjoyed doing anything (or everything, if I let her), for Cindy and me. I had a book I’d borrowed from the library, and I was determined to enjoy it, and read it slowly. I wound up stretching it out to an hour. Then it was time to jump in the water. I’d jumped into the deep end of the pool, expecting it to be six or eight feet deep. I’d not been paying attention. There was a three meter board and a one meter board. It turned out to be fifteen feet deep. Apart from my surprise, it was wonderful. I knew I had a one piece bathing suit in my room, it just seemed too much work to put it on. Consequently, I did no diving. I was afraid my bikini bottom would pull off if I dove. The resultant shock to Amy was something I was unwilling to chance.

So I stayed in the shallow end of the pool, though even that was deeper than expected. Amy swam like a fish.

I was good, very good in the water. You don’t get to be a rescue jumper if you aren’t. Cindy was okay. She swam well, just not as well as Amy, or me. So Amy and I enjoyed a game of Marco Polo, while poor Cindy had a hard time not being “it.”

Then it was back to bathing in the sun’s golden rays of goodness.

Chapter Twenty-Four: Mary

We continued that cycle till about 1700 hours when a group of eight people tracked us down. It was my Daddy. I was out of the pool and in his arms, crying.

“Hey BabyGirl, the bad penny has returned.”

I just kept on holding him. “You scared the hell out of me Daddy.”

“I scared myself too princess. I was sure glad to see the rescue jumpers. One helped me, while the other two worked on Ozzie. Princess, you saved his life, and mine. I wasn’t thinking very well, the doctor on the chopper told me all about yesterday. The gentlemen with me are here to meet you. Seems they have a hard time believing you are real.”

“Hi guys, I’m Beth Pruett. This is my best friend, and my head of nursing services, Cindy Hayes. Are you joining us for dinner?”

“Honey, what’s going on with Dinner?”

“CINCPAC came here to deliver the planes and personnel he promised. We’re up to 1600 babies. He also has a pin fetish.” Daddy started laughing.

“So, what did he give you?”

“You have to understand, he gave them all at the same time, just before lunch. Babylift has been given a Presidential Unit Citation. Operation BabyLift, has been approved as a joint services operation. As it is I’m now CINCRfG. They’ll give me another star in six months. Then he gave me the Distinguished Service Ribbon from the Air Force, and then one for the Navy, and another one for the Army. He also gave me the Defense Department Distinguished Service Ribbon. I was going to sit down, when he called me back. He presented me with the Distinguished Flying Cross. He didn’t mention it, but he slipped in an Air Medal. You, on the other hand received the Purple Heart, and you get to add another Presidential Unit Citation.”

My Daddy just laughed, which was exactly what I thought he’d do.

“Gentlemen, I want to thank you very much for plucking the two of them from the water. Daddy would you introduce us, please.”

“Well, I’ll start with the ones near and dear to your heart. This is Jacob Ford, Tom Meltzer, and William, don’t call my Wyatt, Earp, and they are the PJ’s that went into the water. Gentlemen, this is my daughter Lieutenant General Linda Elizabeth Pruett, who just also happens to be a PJ. I’m willing to bet she’s the highest ranking PJ in the entire US military. Next to her is her best friend Major Cindy Hayes.

“Guys, you have my most profound thanks.”

“Then we have the doctor who jumped on board the helo, something he rarely does. Doctor Kim Trang, I’d like to introduce you to my daughter Dr. Beth Pruett M.D.”

“Doctor Trang, you’ve no idea how grateful I am to you for the care you’ve taken of my father.”

“So you ARE real. With your father I quickly learned to take anything he said with a grain of salt.”

I laughed. “I understand. He’s never lied to me, but he sometimes stretches the truth about me. Thank you so much for caring for him. What were his injuries?” Dad began rocking from one foot to another.

“Your father had a straight through bullet sized hole penetrating and exiting both of his Gluteus Maximus. Not a lot of blood loss, but awfully painful to sit on.”

“Daddy, you got shot in the ass! No wonder I was getting complaints from the USS Midway!”

“Okay, enough of that,” he said, the next person is Duke Thompson, call sign Ducky.”

“Wow, somehow I was visualizing someone much older, how old are you anyway? Sixteen? Or maybe nineteen? Your instructions to the crew of that Phantom were remarkable. Later I found out you’ve only got a hundred eighty five hours flying the Phantom. I was impressed before, now I’m in shock. You did one hell of a good job kid.”

I gave him a hug, “Thank you for that. I’ve always felt like I was in my Daddy’s shadow.”

“The crew chief is Douglas Young. He runs the wire, quite well, as a matter of fact.’

Next up, George Cross, Co-pilot, and coms officer.

And finally Frank Geitz. The pilot.

“Frank, you cut that last maneuver over Dad and Ozzie awfully close. Thank you. I am very grateful for what you all did. Did you guys bring any fancy go to meeting clothes?”

“Just Khaki’s and Hawaiian shirts I think,” Frank answered for the whole group.

“Good enough. You are all invited to dinner with 85 of my closest friends.”

“What’s going on Princess?”

“It’s a celebration. CINCPAC is here to anoint me CINCRfG, an independent command. Oh, and by the way, as of 1800 hours we will have brought one thousand six hundred and seventy-two young children and babies out of Vietnam. Tomorrow’s a crew rest day, and mandatory aircraft inspections. Captain Cobb also needs a day to line up our next flight out of Saigon. We’ll be shipping our current group of children on to San Diego.”

“Damn girl, even I’m impressed. What are you and Cindy doing in the pool?”

“CINCPAC told me to get lost and relax for the rest of the day.”

“I knew he was smart!”

“I guess, I feel guilty if I’m not working on bringing those kids out. How’s Ozzie doing?”

“Doc, come here and answer her question, you two speak the same language.”

“Yes General, how can I help you?

“Okay, first of all, please call me Beth. I was just asking my dad, how is Ozzie doing?”

“So far, he’s surprised the hell out of me, when they pulled him out of the water he was in a coma. That he managed to initiate ejection is nearly a miracle. We poked a hole in his skull and drained off blood and CSF. It was clear the blood was trying to clot. We’re worried about a clot. His head took a tremendous blow. Nothing but clear CSF since we cracked his skull. We cath’ed him, plugged an IV into a vein in both arms, and a picc line into the aortic arch, with ringer’s lactate, and a medium-high dose of Coumadin. He’s bleeding, as you’d expect with Coumadin, but we have plenty of whole blood in stock. He woke up, briefly, remembered what he was doing before the plane took a hit. I left him in the hands of our neurosurgeon. The plan is to start weaning him from the Coumadin starting tomorrow. If he shows no sign of a blood clot in a week we’ll encourage him to wake up. As of my last check on him he was already showing signs of waking up on his own again. He’s probably going to need a shunt to keep the blood pressure from building up between his skull and the meninges for a while, still, I think he’s going to come out of this more or less completely healed.”

“I’ve just one question for you, How in the hell could you tell he was still alive? His head should have been flopping back and forth.”

“It was, but I flew inverted and watched for any sign of conscious movement. He tried to hold his head steady. The signs were subtle, but the longer I watched the clearer it became. It culminated when I told him to put his feet through the protective d-loops. It’s such an ingrained habit, that he had rehearsed hundreds if not thousands of times. It required little cognition, all he needed was muscle memory, when he responded to that, it was clear he was alive.”

“That’s the other thing, you flew inverted over an F-4 with two armed and one damaged ejection seats. No wonder CINCPAC gave you the Distinguished Flying Cross. What do you use instead of blood? Ice water? That is so far above and beyond the call of duty it gives me the willies just thinking of it. You know the most likely form of suicide on an Aircraft Career? They’ll climb in the seat remove the safety pins and pull the ejection handle.”

“Oh my gosh. Well it’s a pretty much a quick and guaranteed way to go.”

“How does a girl, who looks about 16 years old, become an F-4 pilot, and an M.D., AND a PJ? AND a Lieutenant General in the United States Air Force?”

I laughed, “Carefully. No, seriously I was sneaking around the VA hospital in San Diego pretending to be a doctor so I could get in to see my biological father. It wasn’t as difficult as I thought it would be. By that time I’d finished the combat medic course at Fort Sam Houston. He has terminal lung cancer, though he may be gone by now. It’s metastasized and spread from his lungs to other organs. Anyway, I got caught. It seems they’d been trying to find out more about my education and practice. It took so long because they’d talk to one person and be told I was the greatest doctor ever, then they’d speak to someone else, and they never heard of me. I was able to perform any routine examinations, or tests. They’d test me in little ways. I think the first was I was asked to insert an IV line. It was no problem. From their perspective I did everything a doctor would do when they asked it of me. Ted Stevens, my current chief of medicine ran across an article about me in Stars and Stripes. I was called into his office, and all he did was slide the article across the desk to me. I asked how much trouble I was in. The VA chief of staff, the only one Ted had told, wanted to know more about the rescue and Silver Star I’d been awarded. I gave them the full story. Again I asked how much trouble I was in. Ted just slid a proper, validated VA Medical Doctor identification card across the table and asked, “Trouble for what Dr. Pruett?” There were conditions though, unknown to me, Ted and a buddy of his sponsored me with the state board of examiners, and came up with a reading and practicum list. In the last two years, I’ve received my R.N. license, Advanced Combat Medic Certification. EMT level I and II, Physician’s Assistant, Medical Doctor, and completed my certification as a Pararescue Jumper. It’s been hectic. So I’d go through 5 or 6 text books a week, then on the weekend I’d work the Emergency Room, the next day the OR and do between one and three surgeries. If I still had free time I was taken on rounds.”

“And then there was my “occupation.” I’m a police officer for Palo Alto, California, where I am the sole “civilian” pararescue jumper for the entire San Francisco Bay Area. I get all the damn fool ways to hurt yourself from 250 feet below the surface to oh 15 thousand feet or so up in the air.

“It keeps me busy. So, when the first Babylift plane went down, I got drafted. I’m told I am the best trained emergency practices Doctor west of the Mississippi river, maybe the whole country. My mentor got ahold of the State Board of Examiners, and I was granted my M.D., with expert certification in emergency medicine and services. I was also granted privileges in the all the VA hospitals, which in and of itself is a pretty big deal. I’m a pretty good general surgeon, and a good diagnostician, but emergencies are where I excel. Over 30 days I went from a Major in the National Guard, to a line commission of Lieutenant General in the Regular Air Force. I wouldn’t believe it if I didn’t have the commission signed by half the Cabinet, and half the senior staff at the Pentagon. When I get dressed I’ll show you, if you like.”

“If any of you have any doubts, it’s kind of mind blowing to see a commission signed by Gerald Ford, Tip O’Neal, and Teddy Kennedy,” my Dad told the group. “I’m going to be certain she gets it framed, the signatures alone should be enough to pay for her medical texts.”

Dr. Trang asked, “More medical texts? Isn’t it a little late for that?”

Dad began laughing. “Yes it is, but California’s Governor, Jerry Brown, has assured her she can go to the campus she wants, if she wants to get the degree that goes with the title. Right now, her “degree” is from the Universities of California Medical Schools, plural, as in all of them. She is the only MD with that little fact. It’s really going to impress someone someday.”

“Color me impressed, again,” Dr. Trang replied.

“So guys, you want to go to dinner here? I’m sure they will have prepared enough food to accommodate you, though I’m not so certain about my Dad.”

“Hey, that’s slander!”

“Do you, or do you not eat at each and every time food passes your way?”

“So?”

“I rest my case.” I said.

“Did you bring swimsuits? You can use the pool for a couple of hours. Dinner starts at 6:30. I expect there to be a fair number of unattached ladies you gentlemen can show off to. I called out, “Amy, we need to go get pretty before dinner tonight, are you joining the adults tonight? Or will you, Ann and the Gigglebox have friends of your own over?”

“General, we’ll be having some potential Angel’s apprentices this evening, I should go too. Do you need your notebook overnight, or should I place it in secure storage.

A ten year old just doesn’t talk like that!

“What is your secure storage?” I asked.

“No ONE told YOU??” She gasped. There’s a wall safe in your suite just like there is in our suite. Let me come and show you how it works General.”

“Cindy could you tell them a bit about Amy and all my Sisters. Then you’ll need to rush if you want the shower before me!”

“Daddy, are you coming?”

Soon Daddy, Amy and I were in our suite. I realized there was nothing I could touch without getting Suntan Lotion on it.

Amy pulled open a walk-in closet where my team’s personal weapons were stored. “Oh, I see the problem, your safe is behind those M-16’s If you wiggle through you can open it, it’s not very big, but my, I mean YOUR classified papers in the notebook fits in there, and Daddy keeps a few other things in ours, the biggest one being his pistol and duty belt.”

Daddy was watching it all, paying close attention to Amy’s instructions on how to set the combination.

“Thank you Amy, you should probably get a shower before Ann and Elise get back from the Hospital.” Amy clutched the notebook, wrapped in a towel, and dashed off to her room. She met Cindy in the hallway. “Is this a full blown sleep over?”

“Oh yes. We’ve had 15 girls call and ask about helping Angel.”

“No boys?” I called out.

“No Way, that’s gross. Who ever heard of an angel who is a boy? Only girls can be Angels, just Like Angel Beth.” I thought for a moment, ‘if you guys knew I used to be a boy, what would you do? [Survival, Evasion, Resistance, and Escape or “Here Be Dragons…”] Yikes it’s like an old time treasure.’ That’s one secret I HAVE to be sure to keep.’ “Well, I’m sure DaddyChip and I will stop by your soiree. That should be a LOT of fun.” Oh, look at the time, I’ve got to run, I’m sure Cindy and I will stop in and see you, I hope to have Daddy stop by also. I’m late, I’ve got to run, I love you little sister.”

I jumped in the shower, getting every last grain of sand off. Yuck! I wasn’t even playing in the sand. Maybe it’s just the suntan lotion. I was wondering when Cindy would get here, hoping it would be soon. She would get the sand off! At least she’d help me feel squeaky clean. I just leaned against the wall enjoying the warm pulsating shower. I couldn’t have been in there for more than a couple of minutes when Cindy opened the door, and joined me. “I’m so glad you’re here,” I said, “I feel like I have sand all over me.”

Cindy, of course, soaped up a loofah and started scrubbing the sand feeling away. “Did you enjoy your pool time?” She asked.

“It was nice, but I hope you don’t burn,” I said, turning her around so I could see her back.

“I don’t think so, Amy was really good about making sure we turned over every 15 minutes.”

“That “little girl” has someone else with her all the time.” I told Cindy, “she has had answers to questions she shouldn’t even know; she is so “adult” sometimes I’m beginning to believe in her “invisible friend.” I don’t know who or what it is, but there is something there. I’m considering calling for the best “invisible friend” doctor I can find. I owe her that much.”

“Talk it over with Ted. He’ll know someone who is good, but don’t let Amy2 know.”

“Amy2?” I asked her.

“Sure, Amy times Amy is Amy squared, Amy2.”

“Okay, makes sense, but please Cindy, we’ve got to keep our speculations to ourselves.”

“Silly Honey, of course.”

“Cindy, please, Amy uses that word all too much for my peace of mind, can we not use it amongst ourselves, at least?”

“Hon, of course. Yes, there’s an issue here that needs help. I’m not sure I’m ready to believe in Amy2, but I’ll help get her help, and yes, very circumspectly.”

“I’m sorry Love, I’ve grown very attached to her.”

“Me too, that’s what I’m trying to say.

“Oh my gosh that feels good.”

“Turn around and I’ll do your front.”

“That feels good too.”

“Did I get all the sand?”

“Yep, I’m feeling clean all over, I know there was no sand, but it felt like it. My turn,” I wet her washcloth and began to scrub her down.”

“It feels so good when you do that. Where have you been all my life?”

“Looking for you.”

“Well you’ve found me, what are you going to do with me?”

“Well, I thought after finishing this mission we could have a very private wedding, just big enough to satisfy both moms, then take all our back pay and get away for a month. While we are gone, we can see if we can get any use from the sperm the doctor’s collected before my surgery, and hopefully, come back with you pregnant! If that doesn’t work, we can get a sperm donation from my brother and “artificially” inseminate you. Nine months later you’ll deliver the most beautiful baby in the history of mankind. I can get my hormones adjusted so that I can give our baby half of her feedings, more at first so you can get enough rest, then we’ll both take care of the baby. Hey, maybe we’ll have twins!”

“Keep on dreaming those dreams Mommy2.”

“Huh?”

“Well, unless you can figure out a way to skip pregnancy I’ll be Mommy1.”

“Okay, that makes sense. Then the one who feels like going back to work, first, can do it and the other will be content taking care of our Baby(s).

“You just keep on dreaming those dreams, Mommy2, I can guarantee you’ll get your chance.”

Cindy reached past me and turned the hot water off. “Time to get ready,” she said as the water turned cold.”

“Yikes! Hey, that’s cold,” I told her.

“So get out already, we’ve got to get ready and we’ve less than an hour. What are you wearing tonight?

“Well I wore my only nice dress at the last party, so I suppose it’s the blue suit or the new mess whites.”

“No, no, no; you’ve got to look just right tonight. I’ve a white dress, and a peach dress, they’re identical except for the color. You know who else might be able to help you? Tim’s wife, your Godmother.”

“Really, you know I haven’t met her yet? I hope she’s not sick or something.”

“Well girl, let’s go see if she’s in.”

So we walked next door and knocked. Ann answered the door. “Hi Angel, Cindy, what can I do for you?”

Cindy asked: “Is your Mom around?”

Ann began to tear up, “I thought you knew, Momma died three years ago.”

We pulled her into the hall, and into a three way hug. I told her, “I’m so sorry, No one said anything to us except your father was My Godfather.”

“It’s one of the things we thought Momma Nor had done. Daddy Chip came out and stayed with us for a while. She’s sent all kinds of news articles to us. Daddy’s hoping Amy and Elise and I, can go home with you and DaddyChip. That way we could all be a family. He won’t be shipped stateside for at least six more months, and I start Junior High School in September.

“Honey, I’m so sorry I didn’t know. I’d do anything for you and your sisters. But, families come in all shapes. I would love to have you all being with DaddyChip and Momma, but Ann you must know, I’ll be getting married, soon…”

“To Cindy?”

‘I will not panic,’ “how do you know that?”

“Sometimes it’s the way you look at her, or how she looks at you. Sometimes I see her start to hold your hand and then quickly change her mind when she heard someone. Ann smiled, and I’ve heard you both tell the other “I love you,” in a way only someone who’s married does.”

“Ann, please don’t tell anyone what’ you’ve guessed, It could hurt an awful lot of people, including your Dad,” Cindy pleaded.

“And please, please be sure your sisters don’t say anything,” I added.

“Don’t worry, I talked to Daddy about it, and he told me it was private, family business, and not to talk to anyone about it, but I think I can talk to you, you’re family! What did you want to ask Momma?”

“I wanted to ask if she had any dresses that might fit me for dinner tonight.”

“I don’t think Poppa would mind, let’s look, you’re about a size 10?”

“Yes, well actually, I’m usually a 9/11.”

“Daddy left all the clothes still in the closet. You like blue’s, what other color works well with you?”

“Peach, pastel green, lots of things as long as they are not too bright or gaudy.”

As we were talking Ann began setting out some dresses she thought I might like. “Be sure anything you suggest doesn’t have a lot of meaning to your Poppa, I’d hate to hurt him by wearing a dress he thought was “special.”

“How about this one?” Ann was holding up a dark green dress that was so filled with flowers it was hard to see the dark green.

“I like it!”

“Then try it on!”

“We’ll have to go next door, I’ve no underwear, just my robe.”

“Then go get dressed, wear a full slip, and come on back here.” Ann said.

“But what if, oh never mind. Come on Cindy let’s go get dressed. I was out the door before noticing Cindy was still inside. I decided to go ahead and get my underwear on in case Cindy was stalling for time. I’m sure the Marine guards were thoroughly scandalized.

I’d just finished putting on my underwear when Cindy came in, followed by Ann. “Here you go, try it on.”

I pulled the dress on, and found it fit very well. “Wow! It looks like it was made for me!”

‘It was Goddaughter,’ I heard without anyone speaking. ‘You were getting close to the truth on your own, Amy didn’t make me up, I saw my babies couldn’t live without me, or someone like Amy’s “invisible friend Amy.” You’re wearing one of my favorite dresses, though Timmy won’t remember it. We’ll talk some more soon, you’ve got a party to get ready for! Tell Ann “Magera had two sisters, Tisiphone and Alecto.” Thank you for becoming my baby’s Mothers. I know you’re adopted but I see so very much of my old friend Noreen, her love burns bright in you. We’ll talk more later tonight.’

I quickly sat down, in a cold sweat. I thought closing my eyes would be a good idea. When I opened my eyes, I noticed the sun was setting. Cindy was sitting by me, “Are you okay?”

“I think so, what time is it?”

“It’s just after six, are you up to the party?”

“Of course, I had a bit of a shock, but we can talk about it later. My hair is such a mess, help me with it?”

“Sure, why not just pull it back into a ponytail?”

“That might work, I’ve not worn a ponytail much since we left home. It makes me look too young.”

“And I like it that way, Cindy giggled while quickly brushing my hair out.

“I like this color, what do you think?” I asked her.

“Well, I’ve seldom seen you wear green. Overall it’s quite flattering.”

Someone knocked on our door, “Can I come in?” Ann called.

Cindy answered, “Come on in.”

As if on autopilot I said to her, “Ann, Megera had two sisters Tisiphone and Alecto.”

“Momma?” MOMMA!” she threw herself into my arms.

“Maybe, but I know I might know some things for you from her.”

“What’s going on?” Cindy demanded.

“I think Amy is only Amy1 and Amy2 is the spirit of their mother.”

“When Momma got sick, she always said, “I won’t leave you alone. I’ll find a mother for you before I let go. Ann. She’d tell me, the woman I find for you will say: “Megera had two sisters Tisiphone and Alecto” and you just said it to me! When she died, Amy got to have her as her friend, Elise was too young, and I was too old for an “imaginary friend” Is it true?”

“Little one, I’d be lying if I didn’t say I think so. But I need to understand more, and so does Cindy. Can you keep it a secret for now?”

“Yes, Momma.”

“Scootch along little one, Cindy and I have to go downstairs in just a minute or two. You’ve got a slumber party to watch over.”

“’K Mommy, I Love you!”

‘and I love you too, my bright and morning star.’

“And I love you too, my bright and morning star.”

I waited till Ann had left the room. “I do NOT believe this.” Lieutenant General, okay; Pararescue, sure; Lesbian lover to the most beautiful and wonderful girl I’ve ever known, Happily so; but host to Casper the Friendly Ghost? Even I have limits.”

‘Relax my dear. I’ll not trouble you more than you want or need in the beginning. Then I’ll go on to heaven, and wait for Timmy and my babies there.’

“Hurry up, Mommy1, you’ve a party to go to.

“Mommy1 Huh? I thought you were Mommy1”

“Well it seems you’ve accomplished that first, MOMMY1,” Then she laughed hysterically.

I showed my moral superiority by doing my makeup, then grabbed a bag with only the bare essentials (K-Bar, MP5, a couple of flash-bang grenades, flashlight, and my .45 derringer. You know, just the bare essentials for a garden party), and waited for her in the living room. Cindy continued her manic laughter, punctuated by sounds of giggles while she was doing her eye makeup.

“Are you ready my dear,” I asked as she came out of the bedroom. By this time Joyce had caught up with us, in a whirlwind of activity she had come in our suite, changed into a dress and did her makeup while Cindy was finishing up.

“What’s with giggles? Joyce asked.

“I think, this time, I’m letting her explain.”

“Then I’ll have to find out later,” she said on her way out the door.

Cindy had finished up, and joined me in the parlor. “Shall we go my love?”

“Why certainly my dear, have you finished with your madness, or are we to expect more uncontrolled hysterical laughter?”

“Why Mommy1, am I turning our lives upside down? Nay I say, first you had thousands of babies, (she started giggling at this point), and now I find out you’ve three very real daughters, and here I thought you were virginal, without a child one. Shame on you Mommy1,” At this point she was back to laughing fits.

“Oh mother of our children, light of my life, my love, my heart, my spouse. You wrong me, ‘twas not I who suggested the green dress, It was, I believe, you my dearest who slipped the dress of motherhood unto my shoulders. You, and you alone are Mommy1, and all that implies.”

‘Oh dear, have I caused trouble with Cindy?’

I concentrated on my Godmother, ‘keep quiet. You’re going to get me in all sorts of trouble’

‘I’m sorry Goddaughter. I fear, however, the cat is well and truly out of the bag.’

“You were just telling her to be quiet, weren’t you?”

“Yes. How did you know?”

“Maybe because I also touched the dress. I just sort of picked up a little bit up. Let me hug you, that way I’ll be touching the dress also,”

‘Hello Cindy, spouse of my Goddaughter, your guess was good.’ Cindy jumped back, as though she’d been shocked.

“Oh my gosh, she’s real. Oh Honey, I’m so very sorry I doubted you.”

“Trust me, Babe, I fully understand. Hug me please, you know what’s going to happen this time, okay?”

“Yes Honey, but I think we should be downstairs right now.”

“What should we call you,” I thought.

‘Hi Cindy, hi again Beth, my name is Mary. I’ve kept my babies safe since my death. Death is not the end many people fear it is. With Tim gone so long, I had to find a way. I consulted our pastor, and a Roman Catholic priest, and a hypnotist. I had six or eight sessions with the hypnotist, then many, many self-hypnotism sessions, going into trance, emphasizing over and over and over again; Lord, let me somehow remain until I find a Mother for my babies. As the cancer got worse, I told Amy and Ann about my plan, I can feel more than hear Ann. I can hear Amy, and Elise if Amy’s there. Amy I talk to all the time, we came up with the story about your dead sister Amy, for that, I’m sorry for any pain it may have caused you. You two are Godsends. Thank you for being willing to believe. Did you want to ask a question Cindy?’ Oh, before I forget, there are six other dresses that will help you to talk to me, hopefully both at the same time. The tag will have a circle with a red x in the circle. The reason they help is I wore them so often. They were my favorites.’

“Mary, what about Amy? How is she going to react to Amy2 being her mother?”

‘Amy and I have talked about it many times. It’s why she’s been so stubborn with the psychiatrist’s. Someone could tell you a thousand times that your “imaginary” friend isn’t real, and you can stand firm because you know who she is, when she’s her mother. I think you two are going to be great moms.’

“How can you say that?” I asked. “You hardy know either one of us.” I asked.

‘Because I KNOW you. I’ve known you through Amy. I know what Ann thinks of you. As a woman, I’ve seen you care not just for 3 children but your heart is so big you give a piece of it to every one of the children you’ve helped leave Vietnam. And Beth, I know you better than anyone else could know you, you too Cindy. I feel your feelings. I’ve seen your heart, and I know your thoughts. You should never doubt being a woman. Cindy, Beth, you have a bright and beautiful love; and you have a party to go to, since it’s partly in your honor. Just be careful, don’t hug Tim unless you’re willing to be a conduit to some private thoughts, but you will need to hug him sometime, just so he knows I’m okay.’

“Ladies, it’s time to go downstairs. Uh, where’s Joyce?”

“She’s already gone downstairs.”

“That’s a good thing,” I replied.

We got to the door, and three little girls were standing there, most politely, and the youngest asked “Can we come in please?”

I looked at Cindy, and she was watching me, I said “Certainly ladies, please come in.”

The three of them, nicely cleaned up, wearing dresses and stockings and dress shoes, came in and sat all prim and ladylike on the sofa. Elise asked “Beth are you really our Momma?”

I felt terribly on the spot, but told her, “Yes I am Snuggle Bug.”

Elise launched herself at me, “Oh Momma, I’ve missed you so much.”

‘And I’ve missed you, my bright Evening Star.’

“And I’ve missed you, my bright Evening Star.”

Elise was jumping up and down, “It’s true, it’s true, and she knew my secret name.”

“And Amy would you like a hug?”

“Momma, I’ll wait till they’ve all had their turn, you’ve always been with me.”

“Amy, please come here and hug me, I really need it.”

Amy walked over and climbed up on my lap. “Does this mean you’ll really be our mother?”

“That is exactly what I mean, Saturn bright gem of my sky. Yes Amy, I really AM your mother.”

“Thank you Gener… Oh Mommy, I’ve tried to be a good girl, I tried not to give up hope, But it gets so hard to pretend you were just all in my head.”

“She knows, and so do I, Saturn, bright gem of my sky.”

“Mommy, can I not ever call you General never ever again?”

“Honey, you never have to call me general ever again.”

Ann came over “Thank you Momma Beth.”

“Ann, you stood tall, knowing the truth, always waiting, always searching, never giving up, and all along being the perfect lady for your father. Shining always, my Bright Morning Star.”

“Sweetheart, your beauty grows every day. You will know, and be able to tell your sisters how lucky they are, having three loving Mothers. And oh how lucky you are. Your new mothers are so close to you in age. Don’t worry, girls, I’ll still be here with you for a while. Your two new mothers have to go downstairs, there is a party in Beth’s honor there. So scootch along now, go change out of your beautiful dresses, I am so proud to see all my daughter’s standing there, so sweet, so beautiful. Goodnight my darlings, I love you, I love you so much.”

“Big hugs girls, I’ll say goodnight when Cindy and I are going to bed. I love you Very much.”

“Me too, what she said,” Cindy added.

“Mommy, can we snuggle with you all night tonight?” Elise asked, though her words felt more like begging.

“Yes, if we all can fit in the bed.” Cindy answered, giving me another reason for why I love her so.

Chapter Twenty-Five: Mary and Tim

Cindy and I made it to the receiving line, I was wearing my “Angel” name tag. Daddy was in the line, and we snuck into the reception line between Dad, and Admiral Roger Young.

“Good evening Gentlemen, Cindy and I said in unison, and curtseyed.”

“Beth my dear, and Cindy, you two look beautiful tonight.” Roger said.

“Why thank you kind sir.”

“Where have you two been,” Dad asked.

“You would not believe what’s happened Daddy.

“Honor first,”

“Honor last,” Cindy and I both replied.

“Always Honor.” The three of us affirmed.

“That good?”

“Absolutely better, I’ll tell you about it after this is over.”

“I heard you invited more stragglers Beth,” Tim said to me, and he hugged me, before I could stop. “Mary?” ‘We’ll talk later beloved, these two girls are to be our girl’s Mothers. Remember anything we say they can hear.’

“Tim I’m so sorry, I didn’t want this to be a complete surprise to you, and Cindy can hear you too.”

“Tim are you alright?”

“Yes, I couldn’t be happier, and your Daughter has done it again!”

“I’m sorry Tim, I invited the Doctor, the crew, the Phantom Jockey, and the PJ’s who saved my Dad’s life.” I told him. “It was the least I could do.”

“There’s plenty to go around. If anyone is still hungry the chef’s making 10 large pizzas, ostensibly for the girl’s slumber party, but he has plenty of ingredients for that.

This time the Admiral was at the end of the table, I was asked to sit at the other end of the table, tonight’s “hostess.” David Baker sat at my right, and his gorgeous wife “Beverly” to my left, she had the most wonderful café au lait complexion. She was very beautiful, very sure of herself, and she absolutely radiated confidence.

The servers brought out a tossed coconut and coconut crab salad. I’m not a crab person, but, thankfully the chef had prepared a plain tossed salad with 1000 Island dressing.

This was followed by a New York strip steak, and Baked potato (with several potato toppings).

Desert was “A Variation on Chocolate with fruit.” A chocolate three layer cake with a raspberry cream cheese frosting between the top and middle cakes. German Chocolate on the tops, and the sides.

“David I have got to run tomorrow, I’m not so feeling chipper as to want a timed run, but you are welcome to run with me and my detail.”

“Beth, I no longer feel the need to one-up you. I also know you’ve not had a chance to get a “feel” for our Hogan’s Alley. What would you say to backing out of this gracefully, before you kick my ass in front of my Regiment?”

“Hee hee hee, you don’t mind if I gloat a little bit, just to myself you understand.”

“Beth, you’ve earned all the gloating you feel you need.”

“Eeeww… That just takes all the fun out of it”

“My plan bears fruit already. Muwhahaha…”

“That sounds remarkably like the sound of... you’re a gamer aren’t you?”

“Dave, she has you cold.”

“Beverly, I’m not surprised, I told you she is GOOD.”

“So, we issue a joint communique that the exigencies of the service make it impractical for us to fairly do a combat shooting run anytime soon. In the manner of US forces throughout history we are going to run together, and our joint times will set standards for our respective teams.” I asked David.

“Did you just wake up one day and speak officialese?” David asked.

“It does come far too naturally.” Daddy and Cindy were the next two at the table, close enough to chat with. “Hey Daddy, how long have I been speaking officialese?”

“I think you learned it about the time you took the report writing course at the academy.”

“There you go. Nothing uses officialese more than writing a police report. You can’t write, “When we got there, a bad guy started shooting at the police and was shot dead at the scene.” Oh, No, not at all! It comes out something like. “At 1947 hours officers Reedy and Mutton on patrol in radio car Bravo One Charley Seven pulled up on the scene of an apparent homicide. They met resistance when the incident commander ordered the alleged perpetrator (identity pending) to lay down his weapon(s) and then lay face down on the pavement (See addendum two: Miranda warning used by the incident commander; also see California Highway Patrol report 197504003 on weather conditions: It was in the low nineties, with ambient temperature 1” from the surface of 134 degrees, Fahrenheit). Instead the alleged perpetrator turned aggressively towards the incident commander. The alleged perpetrator told the incident commander there was no F’ing way he was lying face down on the pavement. The alleged perpetrator then allegedly fired on the loud speaker, when he realized all he was doing was shooting up unit One Charley Seven (See addendum five: damage to official property, and addendum six: damage to personal property) and opened fire on the combined Law Enforcement Officers (see addendum seven for complete list of sworn officers at the scene and addendum eight for eyewitnesses, particular emphasis is agreed to by all civilian witnesses, summarized by the statement of R.M. Alvarado: “Man there was no fu*ing way he could lay face down on the pavement.) (After-action statement: Unit Beta One Charlie Seven was rendered impossible to drive due to the number of bullets that had impacted the engine. Beta One Charlie Seven was towed to the impound lot where it will undergo forensic testing). The perpetrator turned towards the source of verbal commands. The alleged protagonist was shot by no less than 10 officers from the combined forces of the City Police, San Francisco County Sherriff’s deputies, and 4 officers of the California Highway Patrol (Names to be provided in a supplement to this report, tentatively labeled Report 2-A). Alleged perpetrator was taken to the county morgue for official autopsy and exact cause of death. This is somewhat dicey in that 10 officers shooting to center of mass with Black Talon ammunition left what looked like hamburger. Side note: This officer has decided to forego eating hamburger or any form of “patty” made of hamburger meat.

“Now THAT is officialese at its best! Succinct, illustrative, and informative. No civilian who reads that report would know what really happened. Instead, only Peace Officers, Attorneys, and judges would have a flipping clue.”

“Beth, please, I bow to your superior intellect. All I need to do is tell my bosses is how far we’ve gotten that day, and how many allied troops were KIA, and how many NVA and VC dead were left at the scene, and how many replacements, beans, Band-Aids, and bullets I need.”

“Someday, just for fun, let’s take one of your reports and write it as it should have been written. I’m sure we’d be numbering the addenda into the hundreds!”

“Beth, no thank you. That is in no way something I call fun.”

“Aww… you’re just scared.”

“Damned right I’m scared. If that was the method of keeping records in the Lewis case you’d still be producing prodigious pages of parts pilfered, payola produced, and prices paid per primary part, per product publication page, principally pandering purloined parts and possibly philandering with prostitues.”

“Bravo David, Bravo! That would be a fantastic addendum statement. We’ll get you to speak fluent gobbledygook before I head back stateside.”

Beverly laughed, David raised his hands up in surrender, “That’s a fate worse than being the target of a new Acronym.”

“Ouch,” I said, knowing he was thinking of me as the new CINCRfG

“I’ll make it my personal mission to dumb you down to the average intelligence of the upper ranks of Jarheads.”

“As long as I don’t have to cut my hair, you are welcome to try. Beverly, how do you live with this, this, uh… barbarian?” and I giggled.

“Beth, you’re probably better off not knowing. He has his uses” she said as she seductively slid her arm around his shoulder.”

I blushed RED. “I think I see what you mean, but I don’t know if I’m old enough to use that technique. Uh, is that why he runs so fast? Getting home to you I mean.”

“Darling girl, when the time is right your eyeballs click into focus, and the rest is just pure biology.” “We’ve all got that power over our man.”

I’m sure it wasn’t still in the upper nineties, but all of a sudden I was HOT.

Beverly laughed, “David, when you told me your new superior officer on Guam was a girl, I envisioned a middle-aged battle-axe, not a delightful young girl just past her first blush of youth.”

“Thank you for that Beverly, at least I think I thank you.”

This time it was Beverly’s time to laugh, and my turn to blush and look down to my feet.

“Careful Hon, scuttlebutt around this rock is this girl gets meaner the fewer weapons she has. At least I’ve experienced that to be so.”

“This skinny little girl? David, have you been spending too much time at the O Club? She can’t be carrying anything.”

“Beth, without compromising your hideouts, could you tell Beverly what you’re carrying right now?”

“Well, let me think. Three pistols, three extra pistol magazines, a Submachine gun with two double stack magazines, 3 throwing knives …

“Hon, the other night I got real lippy, she flipped two of those knives at me, bracketing my head with very little room to spare, go on Beth.”

“A Ka-Bar, an Asp baton, mace, two flash bang grenades, a Swiss army knife, I’ve a garrote around my waist, decorated with little flowers and the handles make up the “beltbuckle,” and a few other odds and ends.”

“My God girl, all of that under your dress?”

“Call it 50 % on my body and the other in my handbag. Daddy sometimes calls me a wolf in lamb’s clothing. It started as part of my martial arts training. Then it became a contest. Then it became fun. I could buy any weapon I wanted to, He said he would pay for it IF I could twirl and him not be able to spot it. I’ve often carried 10 to 20 pounds of weapons, though my usual load out these days is about 10 pounds, but that varies with the conditions around me, what I’m wearing, and the color of my lipstick. If Daddy and I were running the hills of Palo Alto I would generally be carrying a .45 caliber, 4-shot derringer, a .45 pistol with two extra magazines, a Swiss army knife, a water bottle and let it go at that. I’ve had a couple of bras customized so the .45 fits close below and between my breasts. The first day I was here, Daddy made me pull out each and every weapon I was carrying and put them on the table in front of General Tyner, Admiral Roberts, and others at lunchtime. Daddy didn’t catch the other two I had with me, so I’ll be giving him a couple of big receipts when we get back home.”

“Bev, that’s what she carries on social occasions. Even I don’t want to speculate on what she’d carry on a combat rescue.”

“That’s easy David, everything I mentioned plus a light weight body armor, M16 with a Bull Barrel and a 40mm tube under the barrel and a good variable power Scope. 50 rounds of Match Grade Ball. 5 rounds 40mm HE, plus medical gear. If I had someone helping carry things, I’d also have 25 rounds of .50 ammo by preference or .308 if that’s all I could get, a match rifle, and a nice variable Leopold scope on it. With that I can reliably hit a 12 inch circle at 1000 meters or a half-mile with the .308, a mile with the .50 caliber. Maybe more, but so far the rule is if I can see it, I can hit it. If I hit it, I can kill it. I’m looking forward to sniper school, either the Army or the Marine Corps version.”

“If you need help on the green machine side just tell me, I’m sure I’m owed enough favors to do that for you.”

“Why thank you David, that’s very sweet of you, especially after our rocky start.”

“Rocky start?” Beverly’s eyebrows rose on her forehead.

“Beverly, nobody thought I was anything more than a political Hack sent out to placate the growing anger stateside. I’ve had to prove myself. I think I took care of that yesterday, quite effectively. Dave was a man of extraordinary honesty, and essentially said I didn’t have what it would take. We’ve worked that out. He now knows I can do whatever I say I can! Our friendship will be all the deeper for it.”

David started to reply, but Tim got up and brought a lectern out. That was Roger’s cue. “This morning I announced a new High level command post. Most of you have yet to hear the word from on high, me. It truly is one of my favorite things, as I said this morning to be able to recognize and reward the people “I have the privilege of commanding. Beth, you’ve hidden behind your dinner long enough, please come here and stand with me.”

“The wheels of bureaucracy have two speeds. One is dreadfully slow, and the other is extraordinarily fast. Beth here embodies the fast side of things. In the six, is it really only six days? Wow! Anyway in the six days she’s been here she analyzed the issues of restarting Operation Babylift. The reason nothing was happening was the officer responsible. He had sabotaged the first flight to conceal his sales of C-5 parts, and replaced them with junk. He wanted to stop Babylift entirely. From the videotape of the Article 32 hearing you can hear James Lewis state he wanted that plane to go down, deep enough no Navy Diver could find it. He did it for money, he sold parts from that plane, creating a non-airworthy C-5. He bragged about killing the children on the flight. Beth on her first day put the article 32 hearing together and by lunchtime the next day James Lewis, a disgrace to the United States Military, was led away in handcuffs. Beth sent out a call for technicians, from whatever branch, who were qualified to come and examine and test the C-5’s from stem to stern.”

“The next day, with the first two C-5’s, Beth proved her ability to lead by example. She piloted one of the Phantoms protecting the Galaxies, her call sign is Angel. While on the ground Lieutenant General and Major General Pruett met with our Ambassador, who displayed a disparaging view of the military, of women in general, and the mission of bringing US Citizens, the babies of US service men, out of Vietnam.”

“The Pentagon and I have determined the sheer number of displaced persons will number well over one hundred thousand.” We have, therefore, created an Independent command, and have named Beth Pruett the first CINCRfG. CINCRfG, a four star multi-service command, will have the authority to commandeer resources from any other command in the affected region, subject to a few well defined restrictions. For now, this is directed towards Southeast Asia, but will, in time, have authority throughout Asia, Africa, South America, and the rest of the world.

“This brings up a sticky problem. Beth has reached a level in which rank is more or less determined by the assignment. Most two, three and four star flag officers move up and down with relative ease. They also have considerable time in rank. Beth has rightfully reached this rank, but does not have the time in rank to move easily back and forth between three star and four star assignments. So, reluctantly, Beth will remain a Lieutenant General for another six months, being trained to be the best military tactician, logistician, manager, and Medical Officer in the United States Military.”

“During the takeoff, small arms fire was directed at the C-5s, and the Phantoms. At least twenty-seven bullet holes were found on the second C-5 though no one aboard the aircraft was injured. Eleven bullet holes were counted on Beth’s Phantom. No one aboard the Galaxies were hurt. They were guarded by the Marine escorts, NavCap and F-4’s which had accompanied them, and two Spooky AC130 Gunships. We believe the gunners who fired on the C-5’s and the F-4’s were entirely eliminated by those AC130 gunships. Meanwhile Angel 02 was critically hit, Major-General Pruett’s ejection seat’s safety system was damaged, and both the crew wounded. The right engine was destroyed. Speculation is one round that hit the engine just managed to hit one of the turbine blades, and was slapped through the side cowling and fuselage injuring Major General Chip Pruett. We believe one or more of the jet blades then broke loose, tearing up the oil and hydraulic lines, the radio antennae, and smacked the hell out of Captain Richard Cleveland’s helmet. Suddenly, General Pruett had a damaged plane she was responsible for, one her own father was the pilot of.

In a move of extreme bravery; bravery without thought of the cost; Beth overtook Angel 02. Knowing the danger of a damaged ejection seat prematurely firing; Beth repeatedly flew inverted over the crippled Phantom. She flew that way until she was able to ascertain the major damage to the aircraft, and the state of the crew. Although Chip Pruett thought his Wizzo was dead, Beth watched long enough to be certain Captain Cleveland was alive. She was also able to discern the pilot was becoming less coherent and responsive with every passing minute, and was also able to see the pilot’s ejection seat safety system had been compromised. Beth took up a position above and to the right of Angel 02. Knowing a helo was approaching from the USS Midway, 20 miles away, she held off having the crew eject.

Fred Blanton, Beth’s weapons officer spotted the helo approaching from about 5 miles. Beth was able to precisely instruct Chip in the movements needed to come to a heading that would intercept that of the USS Midway’s rescue helicopter. After instructing the crew, in the exact sequence they would follow for ejection, Beth again flew inverted over the stricken Phantom, making sure they were both in the correct position, Beth reported back to the helo, turned right side up and moved well away from the broken Phantom. She then ran through her mantra and then she told them to eject. Both officers ejected and were quickly helped by the PJ’s of the Midway’s helo.”

“Today I awarded Beth the Distinguished Flying Cross, not really understanding the terrible probability of the ejection seat misfiring while she was inverted over it. I have also sent a second report with the details of the incident to the Pentagon office responsible for medals and awards. I and an ad hoc committee of six flag officers from Guam, the USS Midway, and Clarke Air Force Base believe her selfless actions were the epitome of bravery above and beyond the call of duty while under fire, and have endorsed the report recommending she be awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor.”

Everyone clapped, soon one then ten, then all of the guests were standing, applauding me. ME? Win the Medal of Honor? How could that happen? I was just doing my job. I HAD to save my Daddy. I began to cry. I turned to Roger and hugged him then turned to the lectern, and tried to compose myself.

“Thank you all, you really are too kind. People keep doing this to me. I really am just a girl who keeps trying to do my best. I am honestly amazed at what’s happened this week. Most of the work has been done by you, and the people you work with. Admiral Young told me after I’d brought back the first flight of babies that his intelligence and logistics people said it would take ten days to two weeks to get the first flight of children out of Vietnam. YOU did it in THREE days! THREE Days. You are wonderful. I am absolutely humbled and astounded to be taken in, listened too, and worked with. We had SeaBees building cribs for the children. The people of Guam have opened their hearts, donating everything from Baby food to Mattresses. Every one of you has worked hard, busting your butts and getting it done. And now the Admiral tells me I’ve been promoted again? How many times can you promote someone? I’ve got to be near the limit. Commander in Chief RefuGees. I keep asking why me? I keep insisting I’m nothing, at best I get to wave the baton. I keep asking you to step up and help me, and you keep doing what I ask, and more. I really don’t know what to say. When the Admiral awarded me with the Distinguished Flying Cross, I didn’t think I’d done anything worthy of that reward. Now the Medal of Honor? I HAD to save my Daddy and Ozzie his Wizzo. In my family, we speak of honor as being the most important quality a person has. There is Good, there is Chaos, and there is Evil. Honor is how we live our lives. Treating others as we would hope others would treat us. We don’t do it expecting reward, it just is. Honor is the difference that separates Man from the Animals. Anyone can go out and do what they want, get everything they can, but they are not living a life of Honor.”

“I’m not a public speaker, and I’m making a hash of what I feel to the very core of my being. I suppose most of the credit should go to my Dad. He’s the man who’s taught me all about honor. And he’s the one in the back grinning, but not sitting down. The Admiral forgot that tidbit of information. Doctor Trang, who treated him so promptly mentioned a bullet sized hole that entered and then exited both of his Gluteus Maximus.’ In other words, he was shot in the butt.” I got to laugh with everyone else as Daddy turned red.”

“Thank you for coming this evening. I’m hoping the chef put my desert the same place he did a few nights ago. I have another group of people who I cannot afford to offend. Those of you who have been to the hospital almost any time since I arrived here have seen young ladies wearing nurse’s whites. These girls decided before I got here they would help. They are the ones who created the modest name tag I’m wearing. They call themselves “Apprentice Angels.” I’ve been told there are another fifteen or twenty more young ladies who would like to join their ranks, and tonight they are having a sleepover.”

“So, everyone please enjoy your deserts. Admiral, did I forget anything?”

Roger came back to the lectern, “no my dear, you’ve done quite enough tonight.” To the crowd he told the story of me being his protégé! “The only thing I will say about your words is you are terribly humble in the face of overwhelming evidence. That’s one of the things I love about you. You lead by example. Go on, you can’t leave a slumber party waiting. Good night Beth, and thank you.”

The applause was overwhelming, I had to flee lest I be reduced to tears; again. Pop came along, as did Tim. Daddy did his awful Ricky Ricardo imitation. “Young lady, you got some ‘splainin’ to do.”

“Daddy1, Daddy2, can I meet you in the study, I think this will be a record for me. A snifter of brandy twice in a week! I hugged Dad, and I think he was able to hear Mary, but only because he knew her so well. ‘you waited long enough to have a daughter, I’m glad she’s everything you and Noreen wanted her to be. And now, she’s going to wear the Medal of Honor. So proud Chocolate Chips. I’m so very glad she’s yours.’

By this time we were in the building, and had just reached the second floor landing. “Come here Timmy Tommy Tyner.”

“Was that you Mary?” I asked. ‘of course Darling girl, now hug him, he looks scared.’ “Tim, please, I don’t understand what’s happening, but Mary is asking that you hug me.” I reached out to him, and he didn’t pull away. I wrapped my arms around his neck, as a lover might. ‘You’ve no idea how I’ve missed you. I think if Beth let me, I’d do more than content myself with a hug. You ask how. Do you remember in the last few months how I would often seem to be in a trance? I was. Self-hypnotism. I knew I couldn’t do it on my own. Over and over I prayed God would allow it, drilled myself that I would stay long enough for my babies to find a suitable Mother. I left key phrases with each of the girls. Ann’s was “Megarea had two sisters Tisiphone, and Alecto.” There’s a series of things I can tell you, if I have to; so you will know. I’ll see you upstairs, this one, so strong, and so fragile. She truly doubts her own worth. She still has lingering doubts about how she was born. I hope to do something about that. And she’s already married, well technically engaged! To that cute Cindy that’s nearly always with her. But I think you already know it.’

”Chip turn your back for a minute” I could feel her whispering with my voice. ‘Tim, kiss me, you’ll know it’s me.’ I felt all of her need. I felt a place between my thighs that was not completely there yearning for him to come inside me. His lips touched mine; I exploded. You know how in romantic movies the girl always lifts one leg when she finally kisses her man. I did that and more. I discovered I only THOUGHT I knew what it was to kiss and to be kissed. Foolish me. I could feel his lips on mine, his tongue teasing its way past my teeth and dancing with mine. Whew! ‘I was afraid I’d forgotten how Tom Cat. Now let me go, we’ll talk more later.’ I let Tim go, but I had to tell him something. I whispered in his ear, “She loves you very much. I don’t know if she realizes it yet, but she can’t lie to me.” Then I gave him a quick peck on the cheek.

“Okay Daddy, it’s safe to turn back around. Mary was just making sure Tim knew it was her. So don’t you dare be mad at him. I think it’s the sweetest thing I’ve ever seen. Mary can’t hide her thoughts from me. I’ve just finished a graduate seminar in understanding love.”

Cindy came up behind me, and I felt something entirely new. I could feel her thoughts, sort of. “Honey, I’m glad you’re here. We need to see the girls, then I need you to come with me as we talk to Tim and to Mary.” I pulled her into a hug, “I’m so very glad you are in my life. I’ve learned so much today about love, and yes, it just makes me love you more! So let’s see the girls, then face the music!”

Again, we heard the girls long before we got there. This time we just entered, afraid of what they had

planned if we gave them any time. The room was far more crowded than the last time. It looked like all the girls who were here the other night had chosen to be here tonight, plus almost as many new girls.

Cries of “Hi Angel” and “Hi Cindy” were shouted to us. We waved and hugged our way to the middle of the room and just plopped down onto the floor. “So, who’s doing what to who?” Unlike the last time my sisters, no that’s not right; my daughters were very clingy, and even Ann wanted to sit in my lap, whenever she could get away with it. I loved them. I realized suddenly this was the way my Mother felt. I began snuggling closer to them.

If you’re a girl you don’t need another explanation of a slumber party, and if you’re not you’ll never understand.

Chapter Twenty-Six: Mary, Tim, and Daddy

At 2300 Cindy and I excused ourselves. We were both subdued as we went to the Library. Cindy had a glass of Chardonnay, and I had the snifter of Brandy Daddy had thoughtfully warmed. It was just Tim, Dad, Cindy and I. Daddy looked at the three of us, “I’m going to bed so you can talk, Honor first, Cindy and I answered Honor last, and the three of us finished Always Honor.”

Oh my, Daddy was angry. I followed him into the hall. “What’s the matter with you,” I asked him.

“Strange, I was thinking of asking you the same thing. What do you mean kissing a married man?”

“Legally he hasn’t been married for over three years, something ELSE you forgot to mention to me. That was your friend, Mary, “Chocolate Chips.” I guess you’ve always had an eating disorder. I feel nothing but familial love for Tim. MY Godfather as YOU know. It’s not my fault a flipping ghost has taken up residence.”

“BabyGirl that was NOT how you kiss a relative.”

“Daddy that was NOT any of your business. Still, I’ll tell you again that was Mary kissing her husband after HOW many years?”

“You’re impossible.”

“That’s what I keep complaining about. I go out to the end of a limb and start cutting the limb from the tree and you laugh like a jackass.”

“Watch your mouth.”

“Yes Daddy… Ooh, you, you, you MAN!”

It dawned on me we were getting too loud when two Marines came pounded up the stairway and through the doors at the end of the hall.

“You got me there Princess.” He gave me a lazy kind of grin. He had the presence of mind to tell the Marines to stand down, we were just letting the other know how much we loved each other. “It’s a hell of a thing when I start questioning my daughter and one of my oldest friends, either of which would give their lives for me. Not to mention Mary, who introduced your mother to me. For a while it wasn’t certain whether I’d marry Mary or Noreen, or Tim would be first and marry Noreen or Mary. It turned out we both won and lost. For a while, we thought of asking Tim to impregnate Noreen the old fashioned way. We feared we would destroy our friendship. Tim and Mary got the kids, and I got Noreen and you.”

“I’m sorry Babygirl. I should know you by now, and I sure as hell should know Tim and Mary. I choose to trust you, Cindy, Mary and Tim. You two may choose the option your Mom and I didn’t.”

“Daddy, I didn’t ask for this, you know that. I realized just a while ago that however it happened, those three little girls became mine and Cindy’s. Those are MY daughters, not just your Goddaughters any more. They are your Granddaughters. Yes, Cindy and I will have other children, but those girls are MINE. One of the lessons I’ve learned from Roger is families come in all shapes and sizes. I’ll have to tell him of this latest development, but he knows about Cindy and me. He approves, and he’s promised to protect us if he can. He definitely wants to come to our wedding.”

--- sigh ---

Dad came closer to me, “Beth, can I have a hug, I need to apologize to Mary.”

‘So you still eat at every opportunity Chocolate Chip.’

“Mary, I’m sorry, I’ve wronged you, Tim, and what’s worse, Beth.”

‘Rex, all you’ve done is tried to protect the Mother of my babies. They’ve imprinted on each other, like a bunch of silly ducks believing the first thing they see is their mother. You should have seen them, all three girls dressed in their best clothes and Elise asking Beth, “Are you going to our Mommy?” My heart melted. They’ve waited so long for Beth to come. So when you get home, buy a big house! One big enough for you, Noreen, Timmy Tom, Beth, Cindy, Elise, Amy, Ann, and lots more babies to come. You are going to be very busy Grandpa!’ I could hear her voice laughing. I still think Cindy’s laugh is more musical and prettier, but Wow! ‘I don’t know how many more times we’ll be able to talk, but I want you to know, I have always loved you, but Noreen was the lucky one.’

“Oh Mary, and I’ve always loved you. Thank God Noreen’s not here right now, I think it would kill her to lose you again.”

‘Chip, just tell her I’ll be waiting for her. Death is not the end. I’ll have to ask Cindy to help me, but I will get a goodbye kiss. I have one thing I want you to promise me. Try to find someone for Tim. It’s not right that he’s all alone.’

I smiled. I couldn’t wait to kiss Cindy after Cindy had been kissed with Mary. What a wonderful life.

Tim, Mary, Cindy and I sat in the Library and talked. It scared me becoming a mother so suddenly, but the truth of the matter was I had no other choice. Those three little girls were mine, as mine as if I’d given birth to them myself. I wanted to be sensitive to Cindy’s thoughts and wishes, but in truth I was committed to those three girls.

It was time to settle down for the night, and I went back to our suite. There was just enough room to move the bed from one bedroom into and next to the bed in the other room. My Marine orderlies were quite the help. I didn’t even have to pretend being weak and helpless (not that anyone on Guam would believe THAT for a minute!). I faked the top cover to look like it was one bed, I turned down the sheets, and got into my longest nightgown. I brushed my teeth, cleansed my face, and hopped in bed, waiting.

I didn’t wait long. Cindy and the girls came in a joyful group, already in their nightgowns, I was mobbed. Cindy quickly brushed her teeth, changed to her nightgown, and joined us on the bed.

We said our prayers, tuned off the light, more or less, Elise needed a night light and we all went to sleep.

I suppose I should mention my dreams that night. I’d no sooner gone to sleep when Mary came to me. ‘Well Goddaughter, I’ve a gift for you, if you’ll have it. It’s the gift of memory. You have given so much to me, this seems such a small down payment in return. I would give you the memory of the conception, the highs and lows of my pregnancies, and the birth of our daughters. I would also like to take one small thing away from you. I would take your doubts of truly being a woman. I would give you my unique memories of being a woman. It seems such a paltry thing to give one as beautiful and loving as you. Memories of growing up as a girl. Being “Daddy’s girl,” my first period, of meeting your father and your Godfather, and of my very best friend in life, your mother Noreen. I’d not take over your life, but rather give you the memories you should, by right, have. Little things, like my first crush. And big things, walking down the aisle when I married Tim. Well Goddaughter, would you accept my gift?’

“I wouldn’t forget who I am, would I?”

‘No, nor would your love for Cindy change.’

“You promise you won’t take me over?” I asked her in my dream, though I suppose there would have been nothing I could do to stop it.

‘No my dearest girl. You’ll just remember things, with a vivid clarity.’

“And all you’d take are my doubts of not being a girl?”

‘Nothing else.’

“Please Mary, help me be the best mother I could be.”

Mary smiled, and I lived most of Mary’s life. They weren’t her memories, they were mine. I woke, in the midst of my babies, and Cindy, I smiled, content, and went back to sleep. I remembered my labor and the births of my three loving girls. I remembered having Tim inside me, the morning sickness, and how jealous Noreen was. And Daddy… I learned so much more about him, things a daughter should probably never know. I could feel myself blush, though asleep.

That first night was a learning experience. There was a constant movement as one after another (including Cindy and I) got up to go pee. It was a long, somewhat sleepless, and wonderful time.

Chapter Twenty-Seven: Operation on the “Model of a Modern Major General”

5:30 came too soon. I staggered out of the pile of bodies, slipped into my sports bra and running shorts. By 0600 I’d had a cup of coffee, picked up my .45 and headed down to my Marine escort.

“Well LT, you ready to run?”

“Yes Ma’am, I am. I guess your dad’s not coming this morning?”

“I thought he was out here. Stretch it out guys, I’ll be right back.”

I ran up to the suite, there were signs of life, Joyce was bleary eyed, attacking a cup of coffee. I knocked on Daddy’s door. No answer. I opened the door and Daddy was laying there, tossing and turning. I carefully felt his forehead, he was burning up. I yelled out “Orderly,” and one of the Marines that stood post at our door opened it and asked, “Yes Ma’am?”

“I need an ambulance here, stat, err… as soon as possible. While you have the hospital on the line tell them I’m ordering an OR ready for possible gunshot/shrapnel wound. Go!”

“Joyce! Hand me my doctor bag first. Then call BOQ and tell Dr. Trang he is needed at the hospital, STAT, tell him there may be a problem with my Dad’s surgical site, he’s running 103.6 Fahrenheit. I yelled across the suite, Cindy! I need you RIGHT NOW!

“Orderly!” “Yes Ma’am.”

While calling out orders I took his blood pressure and threaded an IV into his arm.

“Knock on General Tyner’s door. My compliments, tell him I need him ASAP,”

Cindy was still tightening her belt, “What’s wrong, Hon?”

“He’s burning up 99/35 and thready. Help me cut his pj’s off, then we need to go over him looking for inflammation.”

It was about then that he woke up, his eyes had difficultly focusing, “Princess, I don’t feel so good.”

“Daddy, where does it hurt?”

“Beth, what can I do?” Tim asked hastening to fasten his pants.

“Cover for me this morning, Joyce has my schedule. There’s supposed to be a staff meeting in my C5 at 0930. If you could, ask my chef to have a variety of pastries, coffee, tea, and soft drinks ready for the meeting, I’ll be there when and if I can.”

“My butt hurts, both sides, but the left one more than the other.”

“Okay Daddy, we’re going to take care of you. Joyce! Be sure they have a portable x-ray machine in the OR, and a fluoroscope would be nice.”

About then the ambulance orderly’s arrived. We picked him up by the sheets and transferred him to the gurney. His bed was bloody. We started him on oxygen. “Keep him face down, that may stop further damage.” Then I grabbed the IV, with ringer’s lactate and pushed 30 mg of morphine sulfate through the hep lock.

“You should be feeling a bit better soon.” Next I gave him lots of Penicillin, and an equivalent dose of tetracycline. Finally, I gave him a couple of chewable aspirin. “That should help knock the fever down.”

“Get him out of here. They are expecting him at the hospital. Cindy, who do you want to watch the babies, you or Joyce.”

“Better be me, Mommy2, I know they’ll be able to take care of him at the OR. I’ll call and have someone sharpen your scalpel.”

“Thanks Honey, I love you. I’m a bit scared.”

“I’ll call Ted and have him standing by for you and Dr. Trang.”

Once again, she demonstrated why I love her so much.

The girls, woken by the noise and clamor timidly looked out the bedroom door. I walked over to the three and hugged them, told them Grandpa was having trouble, but we’re going to try and take care of that right away. “Cindy’s going to stay here, so you can get cleaned up. Then she’ll bring you along to the hospital. Do you want to eat here, or at the hospital? I have to tell you I don’t know that I’d be able to join you for breakfast. I’ll be in surgery.’’

Anne looked at the other two, then answered, “We’d like to be close to Grandpa, Mommy.” I loved it when they said that. “Okay my darlings, scootch along and get clean and dressed. I’ll see you there for breakfast if I can, If I can’t, I’ll see you as soon as I can.”

The OR was in the last stages of getting ready when we got there. Dad was taken straight in, I turned automatically towards the sinks to scrub.

I stripped and put on waiting scrubs, and stepped to the sink and began scrubbing. I’d just finished when Dr. Trang stepped to the sink, I turned to the scrub nurse and she put a gown, hair net, and mask on me. Finally, she gloved me, and I walked over to where Daddy was, noted the blood was only seeping. The anesthesiologist, Dr. Bill Hughes looked over at me, “His pressure has stabilized, I’ve given him two units of A negative blood, and he’s still awake, but only just. We can knock him out whenever you’re ready. Dr. Trang stepped up to the table,

“What’s the status Beth?”

“Kim, He overslept this morning, and when I checked on him he was unresponsive, running a 103.5 Fahrenheit fever, his BP was 99/35, pulse 105 and thready. When we turned him over it was clear he’d been bleeding for some time, I went over him top to bottom, and found no other break in the skin. In contrast, both sides of his buttocks were inflamed. I started an IV normal saline and Ringer’s lactate, and administered broad spectrum antibiotics and morphine. From there the ambulance attendants brought him straight to the OR.”

“Since you’re here, I called you as his surgeon. I’m also afraid I’m not as objective as is needed. You are welcome to continue with him as your patient, or observe.”

“Beth, truth is I’ve had too much to drink. I’m not entirely sober.”

“Nurse, please contact Dr. Stevens STAT.”

“I’m here, I’m just finishing scrubbing.”

“Did you hear what I told Dr. Trang?”

“Yes I did Beth. Why don’t you get out of here? I’ll send for you if I need you.”

“Thanks Ted, I’m glad you’re here.”

“Go on, I saw your girls and Cindy walk in as I went in to scrub.”

I removed my gloves and gown, and left the OR straight into the girls and Cindy. The girls were all wearing their uniforms.

“How’s Grandpa Mommy,” Amy asked.

“Doing well, Dr. Ted, and Dr. Trang are going to take good care of him.”

“Why aren’t you operating?” Asked Ann.

“Because I’m his daughter, if you can help it you don’t operate on your own family. It can cause you to make mistakes.”

“Mommy, you wouldn’t make a mistake,” Elise assured me.

“Gigglebox, even I can make a mistake.” As I’d hoped, she smiled and giggled.

“So, who’s ready for breakfast?” I was answered with a chorus of me’s” “and “me too’s” to be different, Cindy replied, “me three’s,” and the girls laughed.

I’ll say this. For hospital food, it was pretty good. Cindy ordered French toast and bacon for everyone, along with milk and juice. This was a new side of Cindy. Cindy the provider, the “father figure.” I smiled, she meant it when she told my birth father, and she COULD take care of me. I was happy to have her take that role. It made it easier for me to be the “Mommy,” of our brood. When the food arrived, Cindy said grace. I helped Elise, making sure she didn’t get syrup on her clothes. The other two girls were neat and tidy. I smiled, this was our first meal together as a family. “Amy, what’s your Mom say?”

“You are such a good Mommy, Beth. Thank you so much. The two of you are so loving. I heard the “Mommy1” and “Mommy2” debate yesterday. I haven’t laughed so hard in years and years. And I’ve watched the two of you. I could never ask for two more loving people. Timmy also likes you, and will fit in with Your Dad, and Mom, and the kids. Cindy, what kind of people are your Mom and Dad?”

Things went instantly cold. “My Mom and Dad are both dead. I have no family other than Beth and her family.”

“I’m so sorry Dear Heart, I didn’t know.”

“When Beth asked, I just told her they were dead. I guess I was pretty intense, and snapped at her the first time she asked. My father killed my mother, then shot himself.”

I reached over and held her hand.

“Well, now you’ve a bigger family. I hope and pray you find joy and peace.”

“Thank you Mary,” Cindy answered, leaking tears. Elise climbed up in her lap and wrapped her arms around Cindy’s neck.

“Please don’t cry Mommy, everything’s going to be alright.” That, of course made her cry even more, which in turn caused Elise to hold her tighter. I was wagering with myself as to which would happen first; Cindy passing out, or Elise running out of steam.

Cindy was turning red so I reached over and tickled Elise, which brought immediate relief to Cindy.

“Giggle box, you’re going to hug the stuffing out of her that way!”

Ann and Amy were trying to be all ladylike and trying to not laugh. I held Elise out to them, “beware the Giggle Box!” and all three girls broke out in laughter.

I kept looking at the clock. They had been in surgery for an hour. I finally turned to Cindy, “Honey, I can’t stand this. I’m going to scrub back in and see what’s going on.”

“We’ll be waiting. Give your Dad a kiss from all of us.”

By the time I had re-entered the operating room, Ted was wrapping things up.

“It wouldn’t have been any big deal if he was twenty years younger. We’ve cleaned him out, but he’s going to stay flat on his face for the next few days. He’s got a drain in there, and that and antibiotics will keep it from festering anymore. As you’d expect it was a pus-filled mess. I sent a sample to the lab so we can hit it with an appropriate antibiotic.”

“If I gave you a felt tip pen would you draw twin smiley faces on his butt cheeks?”

Kim quipped, “And you really let her operate on people?”

“Nurse, can you get me a felt tip marker, I need to write some instructions.”

Bill spoke up, “Don’t bother Jaime, I’ve a pen for her.”

“Well, she’s usually very businesslike in the OR (operating room) or the ER (emergency room).

“Can you think of one time I was frivolous in the OR?” Bill handed me a marker. I started down a dark path, one which should yield endless frivolity.

“Counting or not-counting the Colonel from the Pentagon.”

“Hey, I didn’t know the mic was turned on, and it was such a little smile for myself.”

“What’s she babbling about?”

“In the OR, we had this observer from D.C., the Inspector General’s office. The patient had a high BMI score. Beth muttered poked him and laughed saying something about rendering the fat and using

it for tacos. Then she caught herself, but not before the Colonel heard and started laughing.”

“You Guys, it happened one time in the 327 surgeries I did at the VA. Kim, Ted knows this. How many surgeries did you do, General Ted, during the same period of time?” I started writing on my father’s back, up high where he couldn’t possibly see it.

“Well, I hate like anything to admit this, but Beth is a much better surgeon, that’s why she’s done so many procedures. If memory serves me right I did 43 surgeries. And, yes, she truly is that good.”

“You really mean that Ted?” I could feel myself tearing up.

Ted took me in his arms and told me “Yeah squirt I mean it, but if you tell anyone I’ll deny it.”

I threw my arms around his neck, “thank you for that Ted. You never give compliments. Truly, sometimes I don’t know what you think of me.”

“Look at it this way Squirt. If I didn’t think you were damned good do you think I’d have busted my ass getting you promoted to head up this mission.

“At least I have Dr Trang for a witness.”

“Ah well, yes, this time I’ll back you up Beth. But only because of the good you are doing for my countrymen.”

I went back to my writing. “I didn’t want to say anything, but I thought you were from Vietnam.”

“Yes, my dear, I am. But my family left with the French after Dien Bien Phu. I am told I was born in French Indo-China, schooled in Britain, moved to the United States where my father did something or other in the intelligence community. I spent High School in Whittier California, and pre-med and med school at UCLA.

I laughed and clapped my hands, “why we’re practically classmates!”

“I can see how THIS is going to go, after all this time it turns out I’ve nursed a viper at my breast,” Ted sniffed imperiously and started to walk away, until he read Daddy’s back. He then started laughing hysterically. “Remind me not to ever have you as my doctor of record!”

For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,

Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century;

But still, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral,

I am the very model of a modern Major-General! (apologies to Gilbert and Sullivan)

“Ahhh don’t go away Ted, I still need to know what to do with Daddy!”

“Pour cold water on him, he’s slept long enough.” He laughed.

“Ted you know what he says about giggling,” I said, giggling myself.

“I’ll see him after he’s good and awake. But I do NOT want to tell him who’s been quoting The Pirates of Penzance.”

“And, I’ve three little girls and one big girl to comfort.”

“So Beth, what kinds of surgery are you comfortable with?”

I laughed, “it’s more of what kinds I’m not comfortable with. I’m VERY uncomfortable poking around in the brain.”

“I enjoy orthopedic surgery, I read what’s out there on being able to reattach a leg or a hand. I’m well read in Thoracic Surgery, and enjoy the challenge of heart surgery. But I still have a LOT to learn.”

“What I really absolutely love is ob-gyn, especially delivering babies. I suspect if I’m ever allowed to just be a doctor in private practice, like that’s going to happen! I’d be happy delivering babies all day long. And, if you think about it, most women are more comfortable with a female ob-gyn.”

“What I hate, with a passion, is cancer. About one-quarter of all my surgical patients have come to me with one or more cancers. Of necessity, the VA has a large number of prostate cancer patients. When I go in, it’s personal, and I’m swinging for the fences. I demand the damn thing die, and leave my patient alone!”

“A lot of surgeries could have been avoided if people just took care of themselves. Most have put dealing with their health on the back burner, then something happens to wake them up; suddenly their health is the most important thing, and all too often they wind up under my knife. Sometimes I win, too often I don’t. But that doesn’t stop me from trying just as hard with my next patient.”

“But, that’s not what I’m doing most of the time. I mostly do emergency medicine in its rawest form. It’s doing whatever is necessary to keep the patient alive long enough to put them back together. Well Doctor, would you like to join us in our first staff meeting? It’s a non-flight day. From here on each flight gets one day of inspections, and one day of flying. I’ve just enough C-5’s to run five to Saigon, which is enough for twelve hundred children, minimum. We’ll have five being inspected and undergoing crew rest. After I go through two full rotations, I’ll feel confident enough to send seven C-5’s per day, with one C-5 as a spare! I also intend to ask MAC for more C-5’s. With three more I could still inspect and fly five per day. Any multiple of three over that would be wonderful.”

“I thought you had three or four girls to console?”

“I do, but I can still make my 9:30 appointment.”

“Why not, I’ve got the feeling it will be very enlightening.”

“Okay, meet me at the front entrance at 9:15”

I walked back to the cafeteria where I caught up with Amy sitting on Cindy’s lap. The other two girls had disappeared. I just about turned around when I heard Amy’s voice consoling Cindy.

“Rex and Noreen were really torn up when they found out they couldn’t have any children. When Amy died they hurt so bad you could feel it. Tim and I stayed with them for a month. The first couple of weeks we just kept them alive. Noreen wanted to die, and Chip was ready to go with her. They tried to keep it away from me, but Nor and I were closer than most sisters. Then Tim, Chip and Nor talked about Tim fathering a child for them. If I had known, or thought of it myself I’d have begged Tim to do it. Chip was so damn noble. He would rather die than hurt our friendship, which didn’t seem quite so crazy then. Looking back, I wish Tim had agreed to help them, or that I had butted in. Then the four of us talked about letting Nor and Chip adopt one of our children. So you see, I’ve some idea of what you went through, and I really think you need to tell Beth, soon.”

“Speaking of which,” Amy was instantly Amy again, “Mommy, how’s Grandpa? Is he going to be okay?”

“Grandpa’s okay. Hey, there’s about a bazillion new babies, why don’t you see if you can help out. Cindy and I just have time to get to our meeting. If you decide you want to go back to our rooms, just ask one of my Marines, I’ll leave word that they are to take you, or your sisters, so tell them too, okay?”

“Okay Mommy!” When Cindy wanted me to know, she’d tell me. I still didn’t know what exactly happened to Cindy’s folks.

I was running out of time, and a doctor is supposed to wear surgical greens once in a while. Ted, still giggling, and Kim met us at the front of the hospital. We just had room to take a jeep with a Marine driver.

Chapter Twenty-Seven: The Student and her Teachers

I hadn’t been to my new home before. My driver dropped us off at the hanger. The entire area was cordoned off and guarded by sailors who I presumed were Seals. They looked more than competent. Well before we reached the C-5’s, Commander Don Ramsey met us and led the way. Both ends of one of the C-5’s were open, men were removing a helicopter, the other C-5 just had the rear and side doors open, with a covered walkway connecting the two Galaxies. Jack took us in through the dining room, then through the kitchen and on past offices, and to a small Conference room, with nearly everyone else there. One of the seamen called out, “CINCRfG arriving, and everyone except stood up.”

“Wow!” I exclaimed, shocked to my core. “You all work for me?” Roger laughed but most of the people didn’t know whether I was for real or not.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, let me introduce you to Lieutenant General Linda Elisabeth Pruett, and the answer to your question Beth is yes. Everyone here, except Captain Vigoda and I are part of your new staff. You are now partially or totally responsible for eight thousand US Navy, four hundred seventy three US Army, one thousand two hundred Air Force, six hundred Marines and 217 Coast Guard personnel; for a grand total of over ten thousand people, not counting the carriers and their escorts. Some of the numbers are “guesstimates” due to multiple command chains. People are coming and going, but that’s the closest I have as of 0600 hours. Still, you’re not in Kansas anymore Toto,” Admiral Roger Young quipped. More people were comfortable at laughing at that.

With that, I found a chair and plopped down in it, wondering how in the world I’d gotten here. “Please, everyone, as you were.” I started to count, decided it wouldn’t do any good, and started to wing it. Can you all find a seat please? I’d like to go around the table, please introduce yourself, your function, and something personal I should know about you.”

“Some of you already know each other, so as the new kid on the block, I’ll start off. My name is Lieutenant-General Linda Elizabeth Pruett. Yes, I look younger than I am, thank you very much. At least I’m not wearing a pony tail. I’m told I look too young to drive when I do that.” There was a bit of laughter at that. “I was given this command because I’m told I have a unique set of qualifications. I am a Medical Doctor; accredited by the State of California and the Veteran’s Administration. I am an Air Force Pararescue Jumper, a master parachutist and a graduate of the advanced combat medic program. I’m also a certified rescue and UDT diver — the Navy wouldn’t let me do one without the other. I’m a pilot. I fly the Phantom II and what my father likes to refer to as “little dinky planes;”” (a little more laughter).

“I was drafted into this position. I suppose it bears repeating, despite the United States policy excluding women from combat, I’ve found myself in combat situations, multiple times. I’m a recipient of the Silver Star, the Distinguished Flying Cross, the Legion of Merit, and was informed last night I have been nominated for the Congressional Medal of Honor/or the Air Force Cross. I really don’t quite comprehend how it’s possible to have been awarded most of the awards I’ve received. In my own mind I’m just a woman trying to do the best I can. I have been chided for that attitude, but I’m still trying to fathom how I’ve arrived here.”

“Something personal. I’m a new parent. I woke up this week to discover my best friend and I had been named to be the mothers of three little girls. The father is Major General Tim Tyner over there. He is a widower, and my Godfather. His wife Mary passed away, the victim of breast cancer. The Tyner’s, the Pruett’s, and the Roberts families have a long, proud, shared history of service to our country.”

“I am here to bring refugees out of the Republic of South Vietnam. That started with Operation Babylift. Admiral Young has informed me I will now be responsible for repatriating United States citizens, and allies, out of Southeast Asia before and after the Republic of Vietnam falls. As a matter of policy the United States government does not talk about the fall of South Vietnam for fear of causing a panic. It is to be understood, by this command at least, the South Vietnamese government will fall, soon. Certainly not this week, but if it lasts more than two months I, for one, will be surprised. I understand I’ve two “civilian” intelligence officers, I’ll let them introduce themselves. One last note. As of tomorrow we will be positioned to fly five C-5 aircraft every day into Tan Son Nhut airport in Saigon. If more C-5’s become available we will push that number higher. For at least the next two weeks we will also have elements of the Reserve Civil Air fleet shuttling between here, Tan Son Nhut, the Philippines, and CONUS. They started arriving this morning.”

“As it stands, by tomorrow we will positioned to bring out over twenty five hundred people a day, we will have fulfilled President Ford’s promise to bring GI Babies home by the end of Next week. Captain Cobb has done one hell of a job organizing the relief organizations and filling the planes when they arrive. One of the questions to be answered today is where are we going to put them all? Initial thoughts are to build tent cities here, at Clarke Air Force base in the Republic of the Philippine’s, and at Midway. I’ve inspected the facilities at Midway, and they can be put in service with a little work. I’ve requested several of companies of SeaBees. One will work on setting up a tent city here, one in or near Subic Bay, and another will be going to Midway to bring the buildings there up to serviceability. They might not be the nicest accommodations, but they are serviceable and available. It’s a hell of a lot better than being shot.”

“I realize I’m not dressed quite appropriately for this meeting. I came here straight from surgery. My father, Chip Pruett, was wounded three days ago. While taking off from Tan Son Nhut we took fire from a ground based position. The two AC130’s accompanying the first successful “Babylift” flight thoroughly destroyed the source. One of the C-5’s, my F-4, and my father’s F-4, took a number of hits. The only serious damage was to Angel 02. Both of the crew were injured. We got them to the coast, and with the rescue helicopter were able to get Dad, and his Wizzo, Captain Richard Cleveland, to the sickbay of the USS Midway. This morning, we took Dad back into surgery. He had developed an infection and began bleeding overnight. He’s resting comfortably now, but he will not be able to serve as my Chief of Staff for some time. I’ll be discussing this with Admiral Young following our meeting.”

“So, let’s start to my left, and go around the table.”

“Beth, I have to interrupt, you have just heard Beth’s introduction. This is typical of Beth Pruett. She has played down her qualifications, and awards. Beth is extremely rare in the military. She is steadfast and forthright, and she is modest to a fare thee well. She never takes a position and refuses to re-consider or change it. I’ve watched as she constantly asks others for input, and changes her mind where it is warranted. On the record I will say I do not know of a single instance where Beth Pruett’s actions or decisions were not the right ones. It’s a miracle that she’s avoided attention this long.”

“About the Medal of Honor. An ad hoc panel of six flag officers, and I, discussed the facts of the award. It was the unanimous decision of the group that her actions, which were in combat — as evidenced by the holes in her plane, while recovering the crew of Angel-02 were so far above and beyond the call of duty that she is the only person I know who believes she’s “just a woman trying to do the best she can.” Beth reported the front seat showed damage to the seat itself. The safety mechanism of the ejection seat was compromised. Beth knew the risks, and had discussed them with her Wizzo, Captain Fred Blanton. She repeatedly rolled inverted, flying over Angel-02’s cockpit to check on and inspect Angel-02 and crew. She did this knowing what a damaged ejection seat was capable of. Beth also prepared to jump from her Phantom during the free fall portion of an Immelman and “fly” from eighteen thousand feet, to be there when Angel-02’s crew hit the water. In the process, she would have traded places with her Wizzo, who was also a pilot. Her solution, was far from doctrinaire. It was audacious and bold, and damn near impossible. In retrospect, I believe, she could have done it. I am absolutely convinced, knowing her, she would have done exactly the same had the pilot not been her father.”

“Nor did she tell you of single handedly disarming an armed drug user two days ago.”

“She did not tell you of the Article 32 hearing she instituted the first day in Guam, in which she presented James Lewis, a politically promoted officer, with a 6 point indictment, two of which carried the death penalty. When all was said and done, she accepted his confession to 4 of the 6 points, sentenced him to life imprisonment, and opened the way for Operation Babylift to start back up.”

“She did this in just over one day.”

The Pentagon, and frankly my own assessment assumed she would need ten days to two weeks just to recertify the C-5’s, and another day or two to fly the first mission. She inspected and certified the first two Galaxies and flew her F-4 with them into Tan Son Nhut in two days.

“She did this in less than one third of the time my staff and the Pentagon estimated. Two C-5’s were in that first flight, then the next day another five C-5’s. Next week she will be running five C-5’s a day evacuating small children, then Americans and finally refugees until Saigon falls. The United States will patrol just off the coast of Vietnam, ready to help refugees who wish to get away.

“She did not tell you that within five days of being “drafted,” she has already brought out more children from Vietnam than President Ford knew of when he ordered the repatriation to CONUS.”

“This is a hallmark of Beth Pruett. She is never boastful, never self-aggrandizing. She consistently praises subordinates while downplaying her own achievements. For you ground pounders: it has come to my attention that someone, a General in the USMC, compared Beth with the officers who led the long march from Chosan Reservoir to the coast of Korea in the winter of 1951. I heard about it from a different Marine flag officer. He has worked with Beth, and absolutely agrees with that assessment. If I order it, Beth will do it.”

“If you’re around Beth for very long, you’ll hear her mantra about Honor. It’s “Honor first, Honor last, always Honor.”

“You can get back to your introductions, but you need to know what kind of officer you will be serving.”

Cindy was next, then Ted. Then the introductions really began.

“I’m Brigadier Nicoli Williams US Army. Technically, I’m unfit for duty.” He smiled at that. “I’m recovering from a training accident. Seems one of my soldier’s over charged a 105mm howitzer. A damn fool kid just stood there as the gunner was preparing to fire. I knocked the kid out of the way. He’s fine, I’m not. Do not be behind a 105 howitzer when it is firing. Damn thing knocked me off my feet, and broke my leg in three places. I’ll be “rehabilitating” for a while longer, but I’m about done with therapy, the rest I can do here. I’m here to help in planning and as a liaison to the Army.”

“I’m Brigadier General Abe Tamakhana, USMC. I’m here as liaison to the Marines, and whatever else General Pruett decides to do with me. But I confess, I’m intrigued, how could a sixteen year old girl be tough enough to be compared to the frozen Chosan?”

“General, I make no such claims. You’ll have to ask one of the Marine officers. I know Dave Baker, his wonderful wife Beverly and I have formed a friendship. And while flattery is nice, I’m definitely older than sixteen. You can ask Dave how we met.” I confess, it was all I could do to not break down laughing. “You are also invited to run with General Baker and I. Then perhaps you’ll be able to make your own judgments.”

“I’m Ed Henry, rear admiral, and CINCPAC’s spy among ya’ all. Till recently, I commanded Kitty Hawk’s flotilla. I may run with you one day Ma’am. I am also mystified by your apparent youth. What did you do since eighteen? You completed a medical degree; normally about roughly eight years. Proficiency in the F-4; another year or two. Pararescue?” I know that’s a two year program, and risen to Lieutenant General? No way you’re eighteen, or even twenty-eight. You’d have to study full time, work full time, and exercise full time? Ma’am I don’t wish to doubt you or CINCPAC, but when did you sleep?”

“Sir, what do I do? Tell them the truth, or tell them the whole truth, or tell them nothing but the truth?”

Roger laughed. “Beth, I suppose you need to tell them whole truth and nothing but the truth.”

“Okay, I was just hoping you could pull another rabbit out or your hat.”

“When I was 17 I ran away from home. My father was an abusive man who beat his wife and kids to “keep them in line.” No, I didn’t join the circus. I ran away to Palo Alto, California. The day after run-ning away I met my Momma and my Dad. They asked if they could adopt me. Dad helped me get into the police academy, and I joined the National Guard. I was commissioned as a second lieutenant. I did three years of college in six months. I went to the jump school at Fort Benning, and then to the advanced combat medic course at Fort Sam Houston. When I returned home to Palo Alto, I worked as a police of-ficer, and studied at Stanford at the same time. My Dad would tell me a day or two in advance to pack a bag, I was going to a: “fill in the blank,” training.”

“The police department I worked for tolerated, and encouraged me to get all the training I could. They received state funds for every class I passed, and I passed them all. By the following summer I had com-pleted the coursework, and seminars required, and received a Master’s of Science degree in Public Health at Stanford. By that time I had a reputation in the San Francisco Bay area. Some reporter had flown with the Coast Guard and covered the story of my first rescue, well, actually, it was my first as the officer in charge. During that rescue I had to kill two men, earning my first Hog’s Tooth (I pulled out my “Hog’s Tooth”). I fired twice. The first shot was to his chest, as I’d planned and practiced. This, was the next round in that man’s gun. The second shot was, from my perspective, a miss. The bullet severed his spine. I only later realized later just how close I’d come to being dead. He fired twice, the second hit my jumpsuit, at the level of my heart. Four inches closer and I’d have been dead.

Two men ran from the scene; I chased them down, and when one turned and fired at me, wounding me in the thigh. I shot and killed him. That proved to be my first, and I hope last, “combat” injury. The second man surrendered without further incident. The President awarded me the Silver Star, and promotion to Captain. The Coast Guard awarded a Distinguished Service award.”

“The next day the San Francisco Chronicle ran a story about “The Angel of the Bay.” Me. It was a story of fact, more or less, that read better than most fiction. It was picked up by the Networks, UPI, Associated Press, and just about everyone else, including Stars and Stripes. They wouldn’t leave it alone, I don’t know how many newspapers and magazines ran articles about that first rescue. Then the Governor of California got involved in my life. Every time I went on a rescue call there would be one or more reporters either following me, or already at the scene. If the rescue was at all unusual the Governor started giving me some State citation, or medal, or whatever. The Pentagon, knowing good publicity cooperated with the Governor. No one asked me. So, something that would often be overlooked was brought to the Pentagon’s attention; either by the Governor or the news media.”

“Then my Dad intervened. Momma and Dad decided it was time for me to reconcile with my birth family. Again, no one asked me. So, I was told Dad and I were going to San Diego to pick up a fugitive suspected of having ties to the Symbionese Liberation Army.

“I went to my birth family’s home, and I saw my mother for the first time in several years. I’d almost forgotten how much I loved her. I learned my birth father had been beating her almost all their lives. I’d expected my Dad to be there, and was vaguely afraid of the encounter. Instead, he was at the VA hospital in La Jolla, California, with lung cancer. He won’t leave the VA alive. We’ve been able to extend his life by more than a year. While I was there, I met Cindy, who quickly became my very best friend.”

“We walked into my father’s room with my Mom and brother on that first visit with my Dad. When he realized it was me he started being very abusive. I turned to leave, and he asked me to stay. It was an uncomfortable visit at the start, but by the time we left my birth father and I were working on being reconciled with each other. I spent three days with my birth father and family.”

“When I got back to Palo Alto I immediately requested compassionate leave, and returned to San Diego. I went back masquerading as a doctor. Ted Stevens was the Chief of Staff. Unbeknownst to me he had been working on verifying my status. By the second week he was stumped. He just couldn’t find anything out of place except I looked so young. Accidently he came across an article in Stars and Stripes about me, it was that “Angel of the Bay” nonsense.

“That first week no one questioned me, or my qualifications as a doctor, or I was asked to do things, things I knew all about. Half way through the second week I was called into the Chief of Staff’s office, Ted Stevens. He had been trying to verify my credentials, and having no luck. One reference would tell him I was fantastic, and the next might ask who he was talking about. By chance he came across the Stars and Stripes article. He still wasn’t sure, so Monday of the second week he asked if I were the L.E. Pruett in the article and how did I really win the Silver Star? I asked how much trouble I was in. He asked if I would tell them the real story. I’ve never really learned how to lie, so I told him all about that rescue, and my real background. Then I asked again, “How much trouble am I in?”

“He looked to his boss, and slid a Veteran’s Administration ID across the desk and asked, “Trouble for what, Doctor Pruett?” Ted then made an offer I was not allowed to refuse. He started by sending me home with a couple of medical textbooks. I finished them in two days. We discovered I read and retain what I’ve read at a phenomenal rate of speed. I had never been challenged in school, and was unaware of it. The next week, he began to send me back with five or six textbooks. Most weekends I was at the VA. I had something to offer: the latest training and understanding of emergency procedures, and was another “doctor” to help relieve the chronic shortage in the Emergency Room. So, I spent at least one day a week in the emergency room, and another day in surgery. Sometimes I’d spend sixteen or more hours in the OR, and wound up doing as many as seven or eight procedures. Several months of this and I started doing surgery’s all alone, or with an assistant who was really there to tutor me. One particular day I did ten different operations in two different operating rooms in a marathon twenty-six hour shift.”

“All together, so far, I’ve been the doctor of record for three hundred twenty-seven surgeries. Three hundred twenty-two survived. It was a very intense time in my life. Somewhere in there I passed the advanced Medical Technician courses. Over the next year I passed the exams for Registered Nurse, Nurse Practitioner, and Physician’s Assistant (specializing in trauma, pain management, and emergency procedures). I didn’t realize it, as it happened, I was too busy. When taken together they comprised most of the State of California’s Physician’s Licensing Board certification exams. Out of the blue, I was informed I was a doctor of medicine under the apprenticeship program. Apparently there is a process in California, to allow a qualified candidate to “apprentice” with an experienced doctor. I was, without knowing it, apprenticed to Dr. Ted Stevens and Dr. Rick Byrnes.

“While all this was going on, I also managed to take three of the SERE courses, obtained my pilot’s license, and began training on the F-4. My dad refused to let me take any flight training till I’d passed my advanced jump school. The way he put it, I couldn’t learn to fly until he knew I could get back to the ground in an emergency.”

“Ma’am, what about your rank?”

“It took me a year and a half to reach captain, another six months to make Major. I received my second out of zone promotion three months later to Lieutenant Colonel. In the last week my Dad went from Brigadier to Major General, and I was promoted to Lieutenant General. My commission is signed by the President of the United States, endorsed by the Commanding General of the Air Force, the Chief of Staff of the Joint Chiefs, Speaker of the House Tip O’Neal, Senate President pro tem, Teddy Kennedy, the Secretary of Defense, and Henry Kissinger, the Secretary of State. If you want to see it, I’ll pass it around. Please, it’s been folded and unfolded so many times it’s getting fragile, so it’s now in a plastic protector. And that folks is how I did it all in three and a half years.”

“One last thing. I did not want this job. I was drafted. I was told in no uncertain terms that I was being federalized and transferred into the Regular Air Force. The only choice I had was whether I would accept this assignment, or be assigned to Adak, Alaska. I chose to go Guam; to be CINCPAC’s protégé, and now responsible for my own joint service Acronym. I almost forgot, Admiral Henry, in answer your question, I didn’t sleep much. Instead of sleep I went through every War College course My Father had taught, and many he didn’t. I hope that will satisfy you? Admiral, do you suppose we can lay these issues to rest once and for all?”

Admiral Young started laughing - again.

The letter made its rounds, and some faces were shocked. I sat back and waited as each read the commission. Admiral Young was doing the same thing, only he kept on laughing. The letter made its rounds, and finally came back to me.

Admiral Henry answered my question.

“Ma’am, I appreciate your candor. If it was a story I’d refuse to believe it possible. I’ve never seen a promotion order with even the President’s signature, much less one with such military and civilian backing.” By the murmurs I heard, no one else had either.

“Okay folks, enough about me, uh, one more thing I have to do today. I see Admiral Robert’s Chief of Staff is here. Captain Cobb, since I have all these fine upstanding military officer’s here, I want you to know I’m submitting your name for the National Defense Service Medal. Without Captain Cobb’s efforts we wouldn’t have the children to rescue. I don’t think what I’m doing would have been possible.”

“Admiral Henry, I believe it’s still your turn?”

I don’t know how I made it through that meeting. After the introductions I called a 10 minute break. My new chef Clarence Langbotham (I only learned later Clarence was a Navy Commander — Roger again looking out for me), took the opportunity to refresh the snacks. I asked if by any chance he might have English breakfast tea in stock. I could have kissed him, he did! He even slipped a chocolate bar onto my plate. Even more of a revelation to me came when he brought out a teapot, cream and honey. Somehow I think he read my mind; it was strong, almost the color of coffee. There was probably more caffeine in a cup of that brew than in a cup of coffee. I shared my chocolate bar and a Danish with Cindy. It was incredible, flaky, with a wonderful raspberry filling, and still warm from the oven; right then I realized how valuable he would become to me.

I was tired, I needed to run. Towards the end I became antsy; while I knew, intellectually, that meetings and relationships were important I still didn’t feel it in my heart. This many people in a meeting was a rarity. If I’d met them one at a time I would have been able to remember their names, but after more than twenty introductions my brain was on overload.

Admiral Henry took on the responsibility of constructing the first of the “tent city’s” we would need. Clarence offered to help with setting up the food service required for the thousands (did Roger REALLY say one hundred thousand?) of refugees. There was a lesson there I needed to learn, desperately needed. A staff was there to take on the myriad of individual tasks I was responsible for. Running a meeting was a part of that. Just because I knew what was happening did not translate into everyone one knowing. I asked my senior staff to meet with me after that meeting. Roger smiled. I passed a test only Roger and I knew. Another facet of my father’s strengths became clear.

Who knew?

Another thing; I would need to learn, how to run a meeting. From an agenda to keeping the meeting moving forward; I was beginning to learn what I needed to learn. I suspected Roger was here to see that I was on the right track. I came away from that meeting hoping I hadn’t been too obviously incompetent.

After “stretching our legs” (is that too obviously a male euphemism?), the seven of us adjourned to “my” office. Amazingly Clarence had already moved the coffee, tea, etc. service into the cabin. I suppose some mention should be made. My cabin was an 18’x16’ room with comfortable chairs and a desk so immaculately cleaned there was no way it could actually be “my” office. “My” chair was wonderful. Not only did it go up and down like a Barber’s chair, it could also recline. What can I say? I’m easily impressed! Against one wall was a floor to ceiling cabinet. I peeked inside and found a queen size bed that folded down for use and up into a locking cabinet during the day.

As soon as we sat down Roger asked what I thought of the meeting.

“First, you all call me Beth. Second, I didn’t realize running a meeting was so important. And no, I’ve no substantial management experience. Abe, Nicoli, and Ed. A week ago I was in the California National Guard. I need you to understand you must figure out what I don’t know, then teach it to me. I was in the position of rescuing Angel-02 because I believe I had to make the statement: I “won’t ask you to do anything I won’t do, and haven’t done.” I don’t have the time for the niceties, if the niceties interfere with the mission. My “mission” is saving lives; getting people out of Vietnam, without losing any of my own people.

“Beth, if I may,” Nicoli spoke up. “You just caused me to lose $20.00.” As he was speaking he pulled out his wallet, removed a $20.00 bill, and handed it to Abe. “I had a bet with Abe. He said you would figure out what you needed to learn before a week was up, I figured it would take longer. As good as you sounded I just didn’t see you admitting you were out of your depth.”

“I am out of my depth.”

“Jumping six ranks will do that to you.” Abe said to me.

“I wish I’d had that bet, I’d have told you it would only take a day or two at the most,” Tim told the group. “While she doesn’t have the experience, she intuitively does what experience has taught the rest of us. I suspect that is Chip’s training. He is one of the most gifted teachers I’ve ever met. This woman is his daughter. She has to be more skilled than anyone who doesn’t know him could understand.”

Roger spoke up. “She has already proven that to be the case. I am going to send a strongly worded memo to the Joint Chiefs and tell them they would be nuts to release him, before he put in more than thirty years, later they would kick themselves in the ass, for the oversight. Sorry Beth, but I’m telling them the same about you.”

“So, I don’t think it would be possible for me to be a figure head?”

“No, Beth that can NOT happen. You’ve proven your skill set. What’s more, you’ve become too prominent. If I assigned someone else to be CINCRfG they would not only have to backtrack, they would be forced to prove their ability to lead from the front. That would be damn hard after you received the DFC (Distinguished Flying Cross), and the Air Force Cross or the Medal (the Congressional Medal of Honor). What we need is “training wheels.” That’s why I chose these three,” he said. “That’s why your Dad was and will be so valuable. He gave you more than enough rope to hang yourself, but you proved too adept in tying knots and used up that rope. So he gave you more, and you used that up too!”

“What you lack is experience,” Ted told me, “and there’s no way to get it other than to grow into it. There’s one theory of teaching, one I don’t particularly like. That’s to throw you into the deep end of the pool; if you survive, great! If you don’t, well, that’s just too bad. The other is to teach as fast as the learner will learn.”

“That’s the method your father uses. Your father never threw you in. You have been growing much faster than anyone could ask for.”

I think Dave felt obligated to speak in my defense. “You’ve learned, and shown an incredible maturity while you did it. Even if you flew your Phantom in just socks!”

I groaned at that one.

“What are you talking about?” Roger asked.

“The Munchkin here was getting ready to go swimming from 18,000 feet.” Ted told him.

“Yeah,” Fred was real quick to interject, “that woman just becomes a part of that plane when she straps it on. We were heading home and she asked me, as we’re flying along ‘Can you swim Fred?’ I couldn’t believe I heard her right. I didn’t answer quickly enough, and she’s telling me to take my boots off, she’ll buy a new pair for me.

“What were you planning to do?” Ed asked.

“She was going to throw away a perfectly good Phantom and go swimming to take care of Jumper and Ozzie.”

“That’s not quite right Fred. At first I was going to trade seats with you then jump with the WSO chute. I know I could have done it, but it just wasn’t absolutely certain you would. I suspected you’d be frozen by shock. It was only after that I told you to pull you boots off.” I replied, setting the record straight.

“Can you do that? I thought you were in a Phantom.” Ed asked.

“I don’t think it would be possible for anyone else.” Tim replied. “Beth could probably figure out a way.”

“What? Why? I figured we’d have at least 30 to 40 seconds during freefall at the top of an Immelman. That’s a lot of time when you know just what you want to do!” I grinned at them, daring them to argue.

“Uh, Beth?” Fred responded. “Maybe you could, but I’m not so sure about me.”

“I figured that out, when you took so long to answer me.”

Roger had a gleam in his eye. “If I arrange a test on the vomit comet do you want to try and prove it?”

There were only two answers, yes or no; fortune favors the bold. “Yes, it would be fun! You want to do it with me Fred?”

“Admiral, what is the vomit comet?” Fred answered, stalling for time.

“NASA has a plane they use to acclimatize astronauts to weightlessness. I think we could get them to test it, I’m just afraid they, or Beth, would express a desire to have her in the astronaut program. On second thought, I’m not real inclined to try.”

“Spoilsport,” I replied.

“So the question before us is what to use as training wheels. None of us has been around her very long. She has this wonderful quality to her leadership style. She always listens to other opinions, and she is never afraid to admit being wrong. She is a delight to work with.” Ted explained. “But once she’s decided a course of action get out of her way, because she’ll run you over if you don’t. But, she will sometimes vacillate, mainly because she is listening to all sides. She needs to learn to trust herself a bit more quickly.”

“Levi, you, Tim and David have worked with her the longest. Do you have any thoughts?”

“Can I take that question Levi?” David asked. “I think Ted is right, but having a senior staff available will take care of most if not all of it. She’s proven able to expand her responsibilities, and to use resources. The other facet of her personality no one’s mentioned yet is how she enables her subordinates. I suppose it’s related to what you said Ted, but Beth had an experience with one my Marines that speaks volumes about her leadership.”

“As a precaution we decided to assign a protection detail to her, separate from Base Security, made up of USMC officers and men. General Lewis has lots of friends, and “associates” here on Guam. My assumption was any “associates” would be from the ranks of the Air Force. The second morning she was here she went for a run. There was a lieutenant and modest detail that ran with her. I don’t “officially” know about this, but as they started she discovered two of her detail hadn’t bothered to carry their weapons. She stopped, sent the two back to pick up their guns. When the two returned, they set off on a 3 mile run. Halfway through the run she told the detail it was “time to separate the girl from the Marines,” and she took off. The detail finally caught up to her back at the starting point. Two and a half minutes after her. She had asked to inspect everyone’s weapons. Everyone was fine, except for the lieutenant. His .45 had a nearly solid plug of paper. Beth turned her back to the group, removed the plug of paper, pocketing it before anyone else saw his soiled gun, finally, she put a new magazine in it turned back around and handed it back to the LT.”

“Many, if not most, officer’s would have chewed out that LT in front of the detail. Beth ordered him to see his Company Commander after the run. She was careful to accompany the LT. After insuring the LT wouldn’t make that mistake again, the CO asked Beth her opinion. Beth told him to basically forget it; assign the LT to her detail full time; more importantly, nothing negative was to go in his record. Very few officers would have cared. Those who do, most of those would have sent him on to somebody else. She may have saved that man’s life.”

“This is not the only example I know of. There was another incident from that same run. Someone, the LT and Gunny refuse to tell me without a direct order, made a comment about betting she carried some kind of “pussy" weapon, or Derringer. Beth shouted out, “You, catch!” and threw a derringer to the loudmouth. While they were watching the derringer, she pulled a 1911 .45 apparently from under her bra. The Marine dropped the derringer when he saw the .45 pointed between his eyes. Beth told him: “This one’s for fighting that one’s for fun.” Those two examples prove two very important traits Beth brings to the party. The first, Beth cares. She makes time, even when it’s not convenient, and takes care of her people. The second, people constantly under-estimate her. People look at her and think: “She’s just a little girl, how could she be dangerous?” Or, “She’s just a little girl, how could she really be in command. Both are extremely dangerous assumptions, in the case of at least two men it was fatally dangerous. She killed them with a pistol. I would avoid fighting her if I had any choice in the matter. The first time I met her could easily have been the last time.”

“If you have ANY contact with Beth Pruett, you will absolutely come away better than you arrived.”

“I’d certainly go along with that opinion,” Levi commented, Tim was nodding his head.

“Here’s what I want for the time being.” Admiral Young told the group. Ed, Abe, and Nicolai. I want you to run interference. If Beth does something that should have been delegated you are to take notes and 1600 each day is to be “Beat Up on Beth” hour. I’d like all of you to also put together a reading list. If Beth’s as competent reading military manuals as she is medical texts she should do well.

Beth, you’ve demonstrated great ability in doing. Now it’s time to learn what not to do. These three are professionals of long service. Levi, Ted, Tim and David, you are also to attend those meetings if at all possible. Your role is to keep it friendly and professional. I don’t want Beth to feel defensive or all alone. If things get acrimonious you are to intervene”

“We’ll operate this way for a week or two. That should give your Dad time to recuperate enough to resume his teaching duties. I’ll be back in two or three weeks and we can review how things are progressing.”

“Any questions? Beth? Okay, dismissed.” Everyone was quick to want to stand up and move.

“Roger, can you stay for a couple of minutes, I’ve something to talk to you about.”

“Certainly,” he moved to one of the nicer chairs in front of my desk. When the door was closed he asked: “What’s on your mind?”

“I really, REALLY don’t know how to tell you something that has become critical to me. I’m more than a little afraid you’re going to think I’ve gone bonkers.”

“You mean about Tim and his deceased wife?”

“He told you?” I was so relieved.

“Yes he did. I might have worried except that I’ve met Mary; and I’m certain that you, Tim, your Dad, and Cindy are not all going to go nuts all at the same time. Amy isn’t having psychological problems, she’s been the receptacle for Mary. Which explains why Amy seems to know things no 10 year old should know. When four intelligent people I respect all believe in the same impossibility then I have to believe what I thought impossible is indeed possible.”

“So you and Cindy are now the mothers of Tim’s three daughters?”

“Yes sir.”

“Will this affect your ability to lead your troops?”

“No I don’t think so Roger.”

“Let’s see how you are doing when I come back.”

“Thank you very much,” I stood and hugged Roger, “I only hope my respect and feelings for you never change. You must have been great father. April must be very proud of you.”

That sudden mention of his daughter, brought unexpected tears.

“How your first family failed to see just what kind of person you are is beyond me. Thank you Beth. It’s terribly unmilitary of me, but I hope you might allow me to be a Godfather to your children. This is something that’s never happened before. I’ve protected young women and young men, but this is the first time I’ve ever wanted, to adopt someone. It may be unfair to you, if so I’m sorry. I believe April would be proud of me — and you. You are and shall be as a daughter to me. When you, Cindy, and your children are in the States at the same time I am, I would count it a blessing if you might choose to stay with my daughter Laura, my wife Rachel, and I.”

I was in tears. “I’ll have to ask Cindy, but I’m certain we’ll be there with the love you deserve.”

“Just keep on doing what you are doing and everything will work out.”

“Thank you Daddy Three.”

“Daddy three?”

“My birth father is Dad zero, Daddy Pruett is Daddy, my Godfather General Tyner is Daddy Two, and so you have to be Daddy Three!”

There was a sudden knock at the door. I asked whoever it was to wait a minute. “You realize everyone is going to wonder why our eyes are red.”

“So? Splash some water on your eyes and no one will think twice about it.” “

“Yes Daddy.” I reached out to hug him, again. This time the hug ended with a smile.

“I like hearing that.”

I smiled and told him, “I like it too. Just please don’t ever let it interfere with the chain of command.”

“I understand you are the only family Cindy has. Please pass on to her that I would count it a privilege and an honor to walk her down the aisle when you two are wed.”

“Admiral that is your message. It would be neither right, nor proper to ask Cindy for you.

“You are so very much like April; many of the same strengths and some of her weaknesses. I should introduce you to your medical and the flight staff doctors on board your two Galaxies.”

So we splashed water on our face, dried our eyes, then crossed over to the other Galaxy and found my medical staff; one dentist, three scrub nurses, and three doctors and half a dozen orderlies — all the enlisted were at least an E4. The atmosphere was relaxed, my guess was they seldom had work for everyone, but when they did it would be intense.

There was an easy friendship between these men and women. Easy, and deadly. They had flown the ass end of the dragon putting troops together from pieces/parts that were left on the battlefields of South East Asia. The doctors, nurses, and staff were justly proud of what they’d accomplished.

“Captain Owens, you suppose you can take care of an irascible Major General who is stuck flat on his face with a bullet through his ass?”

“I wouldn’t see much sport in it.”

“Famous last words Captain, famous last words.”

Chapter Twenty-Eight: Random Notes And Thoughts From My Diary.

I’m going to wrap this up, at least for now. It’s Christmas again. Maybe someday I’ll write again; heaven knows I’ve seen a lot, done a lot, loved a LOT, and managed to save many people from famine, harsh treatment or death on nearly every continent around the world. I want to tie up some loose ends:

CINCRfG grew to include emergency services, materiel, and foodstuff deliveries wherever famine or need occurred around the world. Well at least wherever the locals welcomed our help. It never, NEVER failed to inspire pride in our country whenever I saw a fifty pound sack of grain, rice, or other humanitarian supplies labeled: “Contributed by the People of the United States.” So much of what we did was never reported. But we were there with open hearts.

I simply couldn’t inflict my Dad on the poor medicos of my C-5’s, besides moving him would be painful, to say the least-someone let him in on the Gilbert and Sullivan quote on his back. He knew, without a doubt who had penned it, or is it who felt-penned it? In any case he didn’t speak to me for a whole eight hours. Even he appreciated a good joke. After ten days flat on his face, he was back on the job, though he did need to sit on a rubber donut for a month.

Momma thought it was only appropriate, and congratulated me on a job well done.

Things settled down, a lot. Actually, that’s not quite true. I suppose it would be better to say I wasn’t overwhelmed doing something impossible every day. We were up to ten flights daily, plus the Civil Reserve Air fleet which shuttled between Tan Son Nhut — Guam — Midway — San Diego, did maintenance then turned around and repeated the whole dreary routine over and over again through April 28, 1975. That was the date NVA soldiers started shelling the Airport in Saigon. Two days later, Saigon fell, and the evacuations took on an entirely different character.

For a while, we came close to losing control. During “Operation Whirlwind” I spent the last week of April, and first week of May aboard the Enterprise. It was a good thing too. The all-male ship had no clue how to accommodate the women evacuees. It was somewhat funny, the Captain insisted on posting Marine sentries outside my stateroom. I’m still not certain if he was protecting me, or his sailors, but I did wheedle a few catapult shots from the deck of the “Big E”, though I was more than happy having an instructor who could take over if I started to screw up the landings with the arrester hook gear. Technically, I even soloed.

I’m certain you’ve seen the pictures of the last flight out of the American Embassy. Before “Operation Whirlwind” finished we had to dump helicopters over the side of the aircraft carriers. The carriers simply had no more room. Refugees came out to the fleet in anything that would fly, towards the end they had to ditch the aircraft in the water, then we would pick up the people by boat or rescue helicopter.

I had the chance to visit Camp Pendleton late in June, 1975, while Roger and I were on the way back from D.C. were we spent several days in meetings. The refugee camps were crowded, but manageable. Volunteers from the churches, synagogues, and communities around Camp Pendleton made a difference. THEY are the ones who helped integrate the Vietnamese people into American Life. Throughout Southern California today there are many communities of Vietnamese.

While in D.C. Roger and I stayed with “Mom and Daddy Three.” Rachel, Roger’s wife, and Laura, his daughter took me in and treated me like long lost family. As I suspected, they were as loving as Roger said they would be. I know I’ll never take April’s place, heaven forbid! Still, I think my third family found some closure with my visit. Over the years, Cindy and I stayed with Rachel and Roger often. Usually in the company of our three, four, five, or six children.

By May 15th, Snoopy, Turk, John and Jay had all returned stateside. I found myself really missing those clowns. Fred stayed with me for six months, he was willing, but he needed to return to his wife and civilian life. I never did quite tell him how his wife knew about me, but I think he figured it out on his own. Denise, his wife joined Fred, Cindy and I for dinner at the “Top of the Mark” restaurant in San Francisco while we were on our August furlough.

Joyce asked if she could be my next aide. She held that position (and eventually Chief of Staff) until retiring in 1999 after twenty-five years with the rank of Colonel. Her fiancé decided he didn’t want to stay engaged to someone in the military, and broke up with her via a nasty letter. She felt strongly that her place was with me, he was not willing to accept that. I never asked her to stay, most certainly not when it carried such a high price. I was sad about her breakup, but she was invaluable to me, besides which she’s my friend, and “Aunt” to my babies. It didn’t take her long to find someone who truly loved her, who was also in the military. Joyce and TJ now live in the San Francisco Bay area, and often spend the holidays with us.

Ted and Terry, Cindy and I worked long hours, I constantly had to tell them to take a break! Yes, I did what my doctor ordered and took at least one day a week off, emergencies excepted. I also made it a point to work at least one day a week at a Hospital, wherever I was stationed. Whenever possible, I scheduled my time off to coincide with Cindy’s time off. Being the boss, that wasn’t the hardest thing to do! We tried to take our time off on the weekend (usually Sunday). Though it was nice to just be by ourselves, it’s was also nice to share it with our daughters. By July, Ted and Terry were back at the VA.

One of my biggest challenges was to stay well read in medicine. That and continuing education took far more time than I ever dreamed. The relationships I built with the nurses, doctors, and PJ’s over the years was one of the foundation for my later success. For more than twenty-years I maintained current in Pararescue. I gave it up because of the time it required, and at 45 it was getting harder to keep up. I maintained my flight status to the end of my career. I gave up my F-4 when the Air Force transitioned to the F-15/F-16, and yes, they were faster and far more deadly than my beloved F-4. Towards the end, I spent four years stationed in the Pentagon. My last two years I was the White House Physician under President George W Bush. Alice was right, even though it took twenty-six years to happen.

Cindy continued as a nurse. Her two last years she spent working with me in the White House. Then as now a nurse never lacks for an appointment to any medical facility in the country. Cindy reported for duty at the Honolulu Naval Medical Center two days after our August furlough. Where Cindy went, I went. There was and is always a critical need for an experienced emergency services doctor.

Things were greatly simplified, accidentally I’m sure, by Governor Moonbeam. Until I separated from Federal service (retired), I still had a contract in place with the State of California and Moonbeam’s hold harmless clause (as well as an appointment with the State Police). I wasn’t “back” until retiring in 2006. I finally took delivery of a P-51 when I retired. Jerry had arranged for storage at Moffett field for me. During our August vacation I did go out to dinner with “Jerry,” and Cindy came along. It was fun. Although we differed greatly in politics I found him to be a sincere and caring man. He was far different than I ever imagined.

Jack and Louise Edwards did have me over, often, and I got to meet and play with my namesake. Jack rotated back to the States in August, where he continued in the Air Force. His last assignment was as the CO of a fighter wing during Desert Storm. They live in Indiana, and we still correspond. Lizzie is 38, and the mother of four teen-agers. When I think about it, I feel old. LOL, actually 59 isn’t really THAT old! (Though, confidentially, neither Cindy nor I looks a day older than 50).

By the 28th of April our tent city on Guam had grown to accommodate 40,000. Reluctantly I insisted they stay on base. Guam just wasn’t big enough to absorb so many people. For a while we were shipping people out nearly as fast as they arrived. The 16th stands out vividly. That was the day the USS Hancock radioed they had 35,000 plus refugees between the Carrier and its task group ships. I scrambled to pull the assets together and shipped the 5,000 currently on base on to Midway, then to the Continental United States.

I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention all the airmen, sailors, soldiers, and volunteers who made the evacuations possible. They worked long hours. I never had to worry. Living areas, logistics, immigration and administration, police units, sanitation, food service, all were made possible by the enlisted men and women who made up my command. Morale stayed high. There was an esprit de corps that was humbling. To a man, or woman, they sensed they were part of something bigger than themselves. Whether the 4500 babies and small children of Babylift, or the follow-on/overlapping missions of “Frequent Wind” and “Welcome Home,” virtually everyone pitched in. I had only a handful of problems among “my” people. All together, the final count was a little over 110,000 refugees we processed and moved to their final destination.

Unfortunately one of my few problems was Tony Sivichi. Five months after going to work for me he tested positive for narcotics. I sent him to face an administrative court. From there, he went to rehab, followed by a General discharge (and YES, I know, he deserved a dishonorable discharge). He bounced around from place to place for a couple of years, but the last I heard, he’d cleaned things up, had two children of his own, had settled down in New York City, and reconciled with his family. Last Christmas I had a card from him. He addressed it simply “Angel.”

The International Red Cross/Red Crescent were tremendous. Before everything was done we had babies/children/refugees settle in Australia, Europe, the Pacific, Japan, as well as throughout the United States.

Roger was as good as his word. My command team assigned at least 100 pages a day of homework. Daddy thought it was a fine idea, and continued it long after my first six months. Roger had worked to get my fourth star, until I asked him to hold off. I didn’t feel I was ready. I was able to stall him until my one year anniversary of being “drafted.” By that time, I had relocated to Hawaii, sharing office space with Roger and his command. Roger would not take no, and finally, as one of his last acts as CINCPAC, he pinned the fourth star on me.

I came to enjoy my daily critique. Ed, Abe, and Nicolai were gifted teachers in their own right. There were days when I was criticized for micromanaging things. In hindsight, they were always right. Ted, David, and Levi kept things friendly. When my Dad returned, he referred between critiquing and defending me. I learned to trust my people to get things done, though I never quite lost my “attention to detail” (which, I freely admit, was far better sounding than “micro-managing”).

I can’t express how grateful I am to those six men, Roger, and my Dad. Without them, and their lessons, I would not have been able to do all that I’ve done.

I never received the Congressional Medal of Honor. It would not have been right, and I had my own CMH-Cynthia Margaret Hayes. There is only one woman in the history of our country who has won it, and she was a surgeon too. Dr. Mary Edwards Walker, won the Medal of Honor in 1865 for her service during the Civil War. I “settled” for the Air Force Cross. During my June trip to D.C., the Secretary of Defense made a big production out of it. Actually, I still think that was too much, but Cindy has gone a long way in getting me to believe in who I am, and what I’ve done.

My apprentice Angels. Those girls were absolutely indispensable. By the end of April, 54 girls aged 8 to 18 (plus Elise), had volunteered to help. There were days when they were the primary caregivers with the babies from early morning to 8:00 or 9:00 at night. The schools they attended gave them time off. But each girl had to attend tutoring sessions, and keep current with what they would have learned in class. I know it could not have been every two weeks, but it seemed that way; the girl’s scheduled a sleepover, and Joyce, Cindy and I had to at least make an appearance. After the first month I asked a child psychiatrist to visit the sleepovers. Dr. Carol Engstrom usually had something fun to share. I don’t think the kids ever realized her exercises helped deal with the strong emotions they went through from dealing with the hopelessness they sometimes felt from their constant work with the children.

Trang went back to the Enterprise. He and I kept in touch. So, I wasn’t surprised when six months later he showed up to work for me. He and his wife Priscilla became my fourth set of “parents.” Why me? I still don’t know. As Daddy told me ages ago, it just is.

Momma stayed up very late one night, I think it was about 0200 hours for her. She called to let me know my biological father had passed away. That was the 20th of April. I simply could not leave; I hurt, and felt guilty about it for months. I called my mother almost every day for two weeks. I know in some sense she was glad it was over. But it still hurt. Six months later she packed up everything and moved to Palo Alto, with Momma. Since my father’s death, I’ve made it a point to call my Mom’s at least weekly.

It was July before we finally set up an air show. The Air Force Thunderbirds performed their amazing show. Then all the kids, not just my “Angels” who were large enough (at least 4 foot tall), and wanted them, were given 15 minute rides. It kept Air Ops busy. Both Fred and I piloted F-4s, along with other Navy, and Air Force pilots. Even the Army got involved by giving the smaller kids (actually all the kids) helicopter rides, and a Skydiving Team appearance.

And then there’s Cindy and my babies. I can’t imagine my life without them. Before, I never fully understood what being a parent meant. Instead of just “giving me the memories I should have had,” Mary’s memories tied me inexorably to my babies. It’s impossible for me to be anything other than their mother. I remember, in startlingly rich detail the act of fertilization and conception (Blush), the nine months carrying each child, then giving birth to a new life. Rather than being a burden, they more than anything else have been what keeps me sane in this insane world. For a while, Cindy was a bit jealous about it all. They are my greatest joy.

Cindy finally told me what happened with her parents. She was born in 1954. In 1958, while Cindy watched in horror her father, in a drunken rage, shot her mother, his mother-in-law and his father-in-law, then tried to shoot Cindy. The gun was empty. He then went into the bedroom, reloaded the gun, and put a bullet through his head. A neighbor came to see what the noise was, and found Cindy trying to cradle her mother, blood all over her. Cindy didn’t talk again for three years. She was bounced from one mental health facility to another, then from one foster-home to another until landing with a nurse who was also a single parent. Losing the ones she loves is one of her most primeval fears. While she fiercely loved all of our children, it wasn’t till she physically carried a baby for nine months that she really started to “turn the corner,” and heal.

I came to understand April, and the reason she couldn’t go on. If I lost my babies and Cindy, I fear I would feel the same way. While Cindy and I have yet to experience it, we’ve seen what happens to those who are different, and it’s extremely, very ugly.

Speaking of families. I and my command team relocated to Hawaii in August. My responsibilities had grown to where I needed to be where I had better communications with Washington, and CONUS. Cindy, Tim, the girls, Daddy and I went on furlough for three weeks at the end of August. We all had fun. All ten of us (Both my Moms, both Dads, my brother Jerry, Cindy, the girls, and I) flew “The Only Way to Fly” into San Diego, and yes, I had timed it so the Dynamic Duo was the flight crew. Afterwards they had new stories to tell, of me and my “family.” We all trooped into San Diego Zoo on military appreciation Day (three General Officers and a Major and a Captain, all in uniform, made quite a splash), Sea World (another, different kind of splash), the Wild Animal Park, and Balboa Park, then drove to Anaheim and did Knott’s Berry Farm and Disneyland. (I want to single Knott’s Berry Farm out, they had a ride called the “parachute drop.” That is a lie. I’ve never been that scared when jumping out of an airplane!!). Everyone was exhausted by that time, and we flew back to San Jose in order to get a little rest.

When we moved to Honolulu, the girls started in a new school — and loved it. Two months later Tim and my Dad retired at the same time, and Tim moved in with us. Daddy moved back to Palo Alto, continuing my lessons by mail and telephone. He also retired from the Palo Alto Police Department.

One of my harder tasks during my August furlough was to tell the Chief I wouldn’t be coming back, at least not for more than a year. Unbeknownst to me, the Chief had been following the news, pestering Momma and my Guard CO, Colonel and had a fair idea just what I’d been doing. He came out from behind his desk and gave me a hug.

“Beth, I’m so proud of you. I’ve told you before, I only wish I’d had a daughter like you.”

I wound up crying, and sniffling.

Cindy and I stopped at Moffett Field PX. I told Alice, as I’d promised, all about what had happened, and why I wouldn’t be back for a long, long time. Alice could hardly sit still.

The department even allowed me to buyout their investment in my Swift Boat (at a huge loss by my reckoning). Lou the mechanic for the department had just finished refurbishing everything. The engines purred. When we returned to Honolulu the seven of us (Cindy, the girls, both Dad’s, and I) “sailed” back from the Bay Area. It only took less than ten days at twenty knots. Having four “watches” we were able to spell each other. Towards the end, Ann was also taking a turn (under one of the two Dad’s supervision). I was glad we had two diesel electric engines, I never would have attempted it on just one.

Five years later, Cindy, Dick, and I, along with my parents (all four of them) chipped in and bought what was laughingly called a “mansion” by the real estate brokers, in the Santa Cruz Mountains. Twenty-four miles from Palo Alto. It required a LOT of fixer-upper work. Daddy and Daddy Two worked for months renovating and repairing the Main House, and a couple of outbuildings. We took the girls “home” for Christmas 1981. There was a delightful covering of snow, and we had a “white” Christmas.

Our craziest family situation had to be with Dick Hodges. While Cindy, the babies and I took three weeks off at the end of August I got to spend my birthday with the Daddies and the Moms, my babies and Cindy. They all loved Cindy. We found an “Accepting and Affirming Church,” where we were married (yes, I know it wasn’t “legal,” but it was certainly real. Alice had taken it on herself to throw a Wedding Shower for both Cindy and me. In the wedding, Elise was a flower girl, and Ann and Amy (and much to my surprise Laura) were our attendants. Roger gave Cindy away, Daddy gave me away. Afterwards, Cindy and I spent a week alone.

When we returned, we made a date with Dick, mainly so I could show Cindy off. When I introduced Cindy as my Spouse, and the other Mother of my children. Dick fell down laughing. I was a little hurt, and told him so. He apologized immediately but continued to chuckle. I blew up at him. “Richard Hodges, if you think I’m going to sit here and listen to you laugh at me and Cindy, you have another think coming!” I started to get up to leave. Dick proceeded to apologize, again, then told us he was laughing at himself. He had dated me to conceal his own orientation. THAT did not sound so good either. He then confessed he liked men, as well as women, and dating me covered his butt with his Coast Guard command, and life never lacked adventure when he was with me. We chatted about stereotypes, and sexual orientation, and gender. I finally told him about my birth, and how I came to be. Shocked doesn’t begin to describe his feelings.

Dick showed up in January, he had wrangled a Position in Honolulu. I don’t quite know how it happened, but Dick, Cindy, and I decided we enjoyed each other’s company, a lot. After a few months I think all three of us were surprised to find we had come to care for each other deeply. Little by little we all fell in love. The girl’s absolutely adored him, though Tim initially had some issues, and took a little longer to adjust. Officially Dick and I were married. Unofficially, Dick, Cindy, and I were married. It provided protection, though Dick, to the best of my knowledge, has always remained absolutely faithful to Cindy and me, as we have to him. Besides, both Cindy and I had this “itch” that only Dick could scratch - another “gift” from Mary.

My fourth child was born a year later to Cindy and I, with my frozen sperm, a little boy. My fifth (a boy) and sixth children (a girl), we made the old fashioned way, by Cindy and Dick, though I was the doctor who delivered all three of them, and I took my turn doing the breast feeding. Both Cindy and I volunteered with the La Leche League, an organization that collects and distributes breast milk for women with babies that can’t produce enough (if at all) breast milk. With the babies, we divided the clock into 10 hour days. Cindy usually wanted eight AM to six PM, I took from 4 PM to 2 AM, and Dick got stuck with the short straw, from 12 AM to 10 AM using frozen milk from the freezer, though we all tended to sleep whenever we could, it worked out well. We always had plenty of breast milk in the freezer.

And Mary? She stayed with us. We found a way. As we loved each other Cindy and I found room for her. Amy can still “talk” to her, but only if Cindy and I are both there, though none of us really knows why. It just is.

So, dear reader, my tale, at least for now, has come to an end. Of all the things I’ve done, nothing has been more rewarding than that first week after I was drafted. As I look back at my life, those six words still ring true:

Honor First, Honor Last, ALWAYS Honor

up
126 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

What a read!

Started reading this last night some time, and just finished up. Feel like I've run a reading marathon! Really enjoyable, I loved the story. The first part was just a bit slow at the time, but then you got your feet under you and it was all good! I've a couple of questions that randomly popped up. Back in the first part you have her saying "He helped sort out my draft status by enrolling me in the California Air National Guard." What draft status? With all that paperwork saying she is a girl I wouldn't think there would be any to worry about. I know about going through that. When the Selective Service tried to rope me in when I returned from living in Norway I just showed them my amended birth certificate, my Norwegian Residency card and my nice shiny new U.S. passport, all of which showed me as female courtesy of the Norwegian Govt. In those days the Norwegian government bent over backwards when asked for a favor from a member of the Norwegian Resistance, especially those who belonged to the Oslo Gang, and I had an "uncle" that was. Then after that a helpful member of the U.S. Embassy in Oslo was more than happy to issue me with an amended passport that showed me as female.

And I take it the Su-29 shoot-down was a tall-tale started by her father?

I'd love to know how the Ambassador ended up? I'm hoping he got everything he deserved, plus interest. Seeing him have to eat crow would add a lot of joy to us readers.

Well, if you choose to write anymore of this I would eagerly read it!


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

A Couple More Answers

Karen,

Remember this is fiction (wink wink, nudge nudge), but for anyone who lived during that time who was of drafttable age the "Draft Card" was a sentence hanging over you, depending on where your birthday came up at the annual lottery. It seemed necessary to provide some sort of closure to the risk.

As to the Ambassador. Unlike the actual Ambassador to the Republic of Viet Nam, my fictional one was never appointed to another post. A year, and a bit after this story takes place Jimmy Carter, a Democrat replaced Gerald Ford as the President of the United States. Most of the Ambassadorial positions were given to party loyalists. My fictional one was fired, and went on to teach Political Science at Whattsamatta U. until he was rightly relieved of all duties after claiming two of America's favorite heroes of the 20th Century (call signs "Rocky" and "Bullwinkle.") were nothing more than cartoon characters.

Yes, the Su-29 story was entirely fiction.

Your note about the Norwegian government and the Resistance. Thank you for that personal insight. I'm constantly amazed by how many people who lived through that time have come to live in the US. In my close circle of friends and relatives, I know a woman who lived a couple doors down from Corrie Ten Boom, a man who was the first American soldier to set foot in Japan after the surrender, and have, through marriage, many, very many relatives who died in the death camps.

In very meaningful ways each has personalized the terror that gripped the world during World War Two. Thank you for again providing a human face to the struggle. I'm sure you're quite proud of your Uncle.

Thank you so much for your wonderful note.

With Hugs, Love, and Blessings,
Beth

Words Fail Me

This has been an incredible read and an enthralling story to spend my day and night reading, a most enjoyable 12 hours. Thank you

baby lift

great story. I don't know if you know this or not there was a nurse that was KIA during this lift she the only female that was KIA by the VC

baby lift

Capt. Mary Therese Klinker was not the only woman KIA by the VC or NVA.

Capt. Klinker, a flight nurse with the 10th Aeromedical Evacuation Squadron, Travis Air Force Base, temporarily assigned to Clark Air Base in the Philippines, was on the C-5A Galaxy which crashed on April 4, 1975 outside Saigon while evacuating Vietnamese orphans. This is known as the Operation Babylift crash. From Lafayette, IN, she was 27. She was posthumously awarded the Airman's Medal for Heroism and the Meritorious Service Medal.

If you want to start a saltwater flood, go to http://www.countryjoe.com/nightingale/sisters.htm.

DJ

Wow!

Thank you so much for a wonderful story. I have just spent many hours devouring it.

Katrina

Confusion will be my epitaph...

Andrea Lena's picture

..from a popular album when I was in the midst of confusion in my youth. I proudly went to college my first year only to have my Two-S (2nd tier/Student deferment) revoked along with everyone else in my dormitory. We all were scared as our 'lottery' draft numbers were announced. A few cried and a few smiled with relief. My draft number was 295 and I was never called to service.

In the midst of all that I was also listening to the Beatles sing "you're gonna carry that weight;' that weight being my gender 'confusion.' I only wish I had the courage to step forward as my gender number was being called. But then again don't we all have our what ifs? I know who I am now, and I suppose as disappointed as I am with 1970's me, I'm content with the 21st century version; complete with friends and support and encouragement.

A fascinating story about a time and place I'd shoved rudely into the recesses of my memory but gladly recalled at your story! Thank you!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

It took me

three days to finish this, but I did! It was well worth it to! I very much enjoyed this story and the history behind it. I was just a child during the 70's but I have memories of watchting the 'choppers' being pushed overboard and the events that lead to President Ford assuming his position. :)
Thanks for pointing this out to me!
hugs
Grover

Honour

Great story, thanks for sharing such a great read...

Robyn Adaire

Your story Honor

Beth

I emensley enjoyed your story. While I was in civilian life during the time of your experiences
I certainly do understand your concerns durin that time. Another story seperated in chapters quite
different than yours was equally exciting and interstind also written with feeling, believe the
title was something similar to Air Force Sweet Heart.

I believe for me the most intreguing part is your ability to bring forth the inner feeling of the people
and not spend a whole lot on the specifics of sexual activity but placing it outside of the real basis
for the story. It is so unusual to find folks of your age and interests willing to exert your all and
continuing to believe in the Basic goodness of the American People while admitting there are still many
more concerned with personal advancement at the expence of others rather than the good of others.

I sincerely hope your experiences in the Whitehouse under the George W Bush administration was satisfying.

Bobbie

Bobbie C
Looking for Air Force Sweetheart

Your story Honor

Beth

I emensley enjoyed your story. While I was in civilian life during the time of your experiences
I certainly do understand your concerns durin that time. Another story seperated in chapters quite
different than yours was equally exciting and interstind also written with feeling, believe the
title was something similar to Air Force Sweet Heart.

I believe for me the most intreguing part is your ability to bring forth the inner feeling of the people
and not spend a whole lot on the specifics of sexual activity but placing it outside of the real basis
for the story. It is so unusual to find folks of your age and interests willing to exert your all and
continuing to believe in the Basic goodness of the American People while admitting there are still many
more concerned with personal advancement at the expence of others rather than the good of others.

I sincerely hope your experiences in the Whitehouse under the George W Bush administration was satisfying.

Bobbie

Bobbie C
Looking for Air Force Sweetheart

Always Honor

Thank you for a wonderful story. I can remember the News showing film of ditching helicopters over the side, I didn't realize just how many there were.

I feel like a dishrag - thoroughly wrung out by the emotional roller coaster.

Thank you for tying up loose ends. I hate it when a character appears in a story, then completely disappears.