Twice Removed... 2

Printer-friendly version

Author: 

Caution: 

Audience Rating: 

Publication: 

Genre: 

Character Age: 

TG Themes: 

Other Keywords: 

Permission: 

landing.png
Xia Phar had a good life for a human on Saer’kah. She didn’t wear a restriction band and the Saer’khi family that had raised her since the Migration treated her like one of their own. Others humans on Saer’kah though had no reason to love the Saer’khi . At least Xia had some semblance of freedom. So when the humans decide to rebel against the Saer’khi and she discovers the real reason for the presence of humans and other aliens on Saer’kah Xia decides to take action. Enlisting the help of her family and her friend Tarek she forms a plan to get everyone out of the alien barracks without arousing suspicion and get them off Saer’kah on one of the newly built colony ships. Sounds pretty easy right? Now Tarek’s crush on her is the least of her problems and leaving Saer’kah is just the beginning.

 
 

Twice Removed
Chapter 2
Catching flies with honey

By
Amethyst
My friend merely nodded in agreement as the pause ended and Jared spoke again. “It is time for us to face reality! For years we have been held captive on this space rock, slaves toiling for the benefit of the bugs who would crush us under their boots!”

 


 
Author's Note: Warning: This chapter begins with a brief flashback that could be triggering to some people. Nothing is directly mentioned although it is implied and it gives some insight as to why Xia distrusts other humans. Thanks as usual to my readers and of course the Big Closet team who work tirelessly to give us all a great place to post and read TG fiction. ~Amethyst.
 


 
Chapter 2: Catching flies with honey

I was dreaming and I knew I was dreaming, but even knowing that I couldn’t stop the memories from washing over me. It was the day that I had come home to live with my new family. When I had been ready to leave the research lab I wasn’t sure I wanted to live with my adoptive mother and her family, it felt like I would be intruding so I had asked to be placed with some of other humans from the second Migration ship who were awaiting transfer to other cities on Saer’kah. That had been a big mistake; I should have accepted her offer. I know it’s cliché but honestly sometimes mother does know best. To some at the transfer centre I was a curiosity, but to most the fact that I was part human made me even more alien than the Saer’khi. To them I was a freak, a threat to their own humanity, and they made sure I knew it.

Before she had left me there Khella had given me something she called a mental amplifier and showed me how to turn it on, telling me to use it and call out to her mind if I needed her. She might not be able to understand my thoughts but she would come, and so she did. It had barely been two days when I used the device and she came to the transfer center to find me hiding outside in some bushes shaking and crying with my wings missing. I had been caught alone and the three men wouldn’t take no for an answer, they had held me down and cut off my wings so I couldn’t get away. I began hurling anything I could at them with uncontrolled bursts of telekinesis and ran while they were distracted.

That was all past though and now we were in the transport heading to my new home. “We use mental communication for everything at home Xia,” she warned me. “But we will attempt to use both telepathy and English spoken language with you to help you learn.”

“Thanks,” I said uncertainly, “For getting me out of there and… taking me in. I’ll do my best to learn quickly.”

“You are my daughter Xia, I will do everything I can to keep you happy and safe. But I do not think you should give up on all humans. Sarah was very understanding and perhaps others will be as well once they get to know you. We will find you clothes to help hide your Saer’khi features when you must interact with them,” she offered as she set the transport on auto pilot and took me in her arms. She held me the rest of the way home.

Unlike my fellow humans my Saer’khi family welcomed me with open arms. Seeing my condition though, they tried not to crowd me while Khella took me inside and treated what injuries she could. I may not have been able to understand their thoughts but I could feel their deep concern and anger over what had been done to me. It was only thanks to my nanites that I had healed up so quickly from that incident; my wings had even grown back over the next few weeks. The emotional wounds would take much longer to recover from.

* * *

The sound of knocking at my door and a simultaneous ping from my mother interrupted my dream. I must have dozed off. Reluctantly I answered, *Come in.*

Mom stepped into the room bearing a tray with two bowls and made herself comfortable on the end of my bed. *I know you said you weren’t hungry, but I thought we could both eat and talk. Hased made tingeku and it’s always best when eaten hot.* Tingeku is a Saer’khi dish made with meat, fruit, and grains sautéed in a honey sauce. It’s sweet, filling, and one of my favourite Saer’khi dishes. Once I managed to twist myself around and into a sitting position she handed me one of the bowls.

We were over half finished the meal when I finally asked, *What do you want to talk about?*

She didn’t bother asking how I was feeling since she already knew the answer to that. Instead she simply asked, *Did you really think his feelings for you were going to change?*

*Yes… No… I don’t know, I was hoping so.*

*He cares too deeply for you,* she replied. *You care deeply for him too, and there is nothing wrong with that.*

*He’s not human,* I argued weakly.

I could feel her mentally rolling her eyes. *We both know that is ridiculous. Living with us and being a part of our family for so long you of all people should know that love is not species dependent. We love people for who they are, not what they are, so what’s the problem with Tarek? Are you still trying to deny the bond you share? Or did you realize just how much you missed him?*

*No, Tarek’s not the problem,* I quickly denied before correcting myself. *I mean that he’s not the only problem. There’s some trouble brewing among the humans at the alien barracks.*

*What type of trouble?*

*The type that could potentially turn violent,* I answered seriously. I quickly mentally relayed all that I had learned from Sarah and my discussion with Jake.

When I had finished there was a confused look on her face and the feeling was mirrored in her mind. *What does this word ‘slave’ mean?* Did she really have no concept of slavery or was it just one of those words that doesn’t translate well in mind speech?

I thought carefully for a moment before finally answering, *Slavery is when one person or a group of people has absolute power over another person or group of people. The slaves are the people who are being controlled. Their freedom is taken from them and they are made to work for the sole benefit of those who have power over them and are often mistreated and punished if they are not thought to be working hard enough. It's not like the Saer'khi males who give of themselves willingly, these people have no choice in the matter, they are forced to serve others.*

My mother was appalled at the mere idea of such a thing existing and I could feel it in her thoughts. *You have this slavery on your world?*

I shook my head vehemently. *Not now, at least I hope not. But many various ethnic groups have fallen victim to slavery in the past, including mine. That’s why some of the new people who don’t know your species are unhappy with the way things are here. Many of us are violently opposed to slavery and the current conditions at the alien barracks seem a lot like it to some people.*

*But that’s not what we’re trying to do! This is for their own good,* she argued.

*You’d be surprised how many times those words have been used in the past to condone slavery,* I countered. *We have a saying on Earth: If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it’s a duck. That means that if something looks or sounds like something then it probably is.* I could sense she was about to protest so I cut her forming thought off with my first argument. *You have made it so that aliens can’t leave the electromagnetic field around the barracks and the surrounding area. Is that not taking away their freedom?*

I could feel the guilt in her mind but her next words were a surprise. *When we first started bringing aliens here for the colonization project the Saer bees killed many of them and several others were killed by predators in the jungle. The electromagnetic field that keeps them inside resonates at a frequency that keeps Saer bees out. It’s for their safety.*

I let out a long sigh as I pondered that. *Why am I allowed to run free then?*

*You have been taught how to survive in the jungle and you are half Saer’khi. The Saer bees know on an instinctual level that we’re related so they leave us alone. It’s why you were given the job of collecting honey for the barracks.*

*Okay then, how about the work you have the aliens do? How is that for their own good?* I countered.

*They are learning skills that will be useful and all the work they do is for the benefit of themselves and the other residents of the barracks. The food they gather and prepare is for them to eat, the clothes are for them to wear, and all other tasks are the same. We are teaching them to rely on themselves and one another,* she was quick to respond, and I could tell that she believed every word of it.

*What about the starship parts they have been constructing? How do those benefit them?* As I sensed the truth in her words I was becoming less defensive and more curious.

*This is all a part of a project we have been pursuing since we first encountered other species in our travels to other solar systems. Almost all of our species face populations that are too large to remain comfortable on our respective home worlds for much longer. We want to establish colonies on other planets built together by members of all of the races we have encountered where we can all coexist in harmony. Those ships are colony ships and the residents in each of the different barracks are colony groups. All of the barracks are nearly full, that’s the reason we’re not taking any more Migrants, Earth has sent far more than any other planet and we are at our limits to care for them, the colony ships must leave soon.*

*Why wasn’t I told about this before? Why weren’t they?* I asked.

My mother shook her head sadly. *I brought you here so that our people could learn to better understand yours. I had no intention of sending you as a colonist unless you showed an interest, especially once I made you my daughter. As for the other humans, your governments should have told them when they agreed to come to Saer’kah. It was part of the Migration agreement.*

I snorted in disgust, *It figures. It’s just like the government to leave out important details, especially when they don’t have to deal with the fallout. And now we’re stuck holding the bag.* I could both sense her confusion and see it on her face. I had apparently used another confusing human phrase in my thoughts. *Sorry Mom, I meant that we have to deal with the consequences of their inaction.*

*I will speak with the Council tonight and we will send representatives to speak with the humans in the barracks here and all the other cities,* she replied simply. *I will also send word to our embassy on Earth about this.*

I cupped my head in my hands as I groaned. *Mom, you are missing the whole point here. Sure send representatives to all the other cities’ barracks, they might be able to salvage something if they tell the humans why they’re there, but here? I don’t know about the barracks in other cities but from what I’ve heard many of the humans here don’t trust Saer’khi or any aliens and might react violently, which will only make things worse. They won’t trust you if you say you’re going to put them on another ship to start a colony somewhere, they’ll just think you’re up to something. The only people they’ll listen to are other humans, and the only reason they’ll get on another ship is if they think they’re escaping.*

*You are certain that they will not listen to us?* she asked sounding disappointed.

I shook my head. *Some of those from the first ships like Sarah would, but from the sounds of it Jake and his father are doing their best to make sure nobody else will. Can you get me in to see the Council with you tonight?*

*Certainly Xia, it is your right as a Ji’turi, but why?*

*Something Tarek said earlier has given me an idea. I have a plan, but we’ll need to put it into action fast if we’re going to salvage things.* She wasn’t going to like it, hell I didn’t like it, but I thought that if it worked we might just be able to prevent a riot and make this colony idea of theirs work.

* * *

The Council was of course resistant to the idea, but they were also well aware that I knew humans better than they ever could. Finally they gave in when Mom reminded them that I was older than I appeared and extremely intelligent. If things at the humans meeting the next night went as badly as I feared I would have to put the plan into motion. I would also have to do most of it myself since Saer’khi are inexperienced with subterfuge and outright lying. I’ve tried to teach some of them but since all of their communication is mental it just doesn’t take. Maybe these people would be better off without me on their home planet; I was a bad influence on them.

I arrived at the barracks an hour before everyone was scheduled to return from their tasks for the day and left the mag-transport just outside the electromagnetic field. I had wanted to fly there under my own power but I figured that it was safer to use the transport in case someone saw me coming and to keep up the pretense that I was a delivery girl. I headed toward the barracks and straight for the kitchen. As usual the kitchen was a flurry of activity with Sarah at the center of it all. “Hi Sarah,” I said with a wave.

“Xia it’s good to see you being social,” she said with a cautious look around.

“Well, I finished up early today,” I said with a smile. “I thought I’d catch up, and I was wondering if we could talk alone for a few minutes, I really need your advice on something.”

“Sure thing Xia,” the chef replied. “Okay everyone keep an eye on the stew and the bread and I’ll be back shortly.” Then she took me to the empty dining hall where we both sat down and gave me a serious look. “This isn’t your normal delivery day Xia, what’s up?”

“I came to attend the after dinner meeting Jake and his father are holding tonight,” I replied.

The chef frowned at that. “Xia, trust me, you do not want to get involved with those two. I thought you knew better than that.”

“I do, but the way Jake was talking last night has me concerned. He made it sound like this was a planning meeting for a revolution, possibly a violent one. They are planning something very soon; you know that, you’re the one who warned me. I want to make sure nobody, human or alien, gets hurt, I’ve got a plan in case things are going in that direction but I’ll need your help with it.” I quickly outlined what I had learned and the plan that I had come up with and when I had finished she was staring at me like I was going to do something really stupid.

“Are you insane?!” She barely kept herself from yelling and took a quick look around to make sure we were still alone. “I warned you so you wouldn’t do something idiotic and get hurt. You can’t spend that much time around humans, you’ll be found out sooner or later. The rest of us don’t have it as bad as you as we can manage it for quite some time before people start noticing that we aren’t aging but you might as well be wearing a target if you decide to live with humans full time.”

“They won’t trust the Saer’khi,” I pointed out to my friend. “And Jake invited me which means he doesn’t know about my connection to them so I’m probably the only one who can make this plan work. I’m going to need your help though. I want you to tell all the aliens and the other firsts that you trust about the plan so they know what’s happening when the time comes. I’ll also need you at that meeting tonight and to have my back when things get moving.”

Sarah didn’t like the idea, it was written all over her face, but finally she nodded. “You know I’ll always watch your back, so what’s your plan for tonight then?”

“I’ll hang around here and be unsociable in the dining hall until the meeting and then we’ll sit in on the meeting and if it looks like things are going south I’ll put the plan in motion,” I replied with a shrug. “After that I’ll slip away to ‘find a quiet place to sleep’. If I can’t slip away then I’ll stay around until everyone is asleep.”

“If you have to do that then you had better come to the women’s dorm and take the bed beside mine where I can keep an eye on you. Rosa won’t mind moving to one of the other empty beds for the night. Now I had better get back to the kitchen so people aren’t getting suspicious.” She stood up and headed back to the kitchen, leaving me alone in the dining hall to wait.

* * *

During dinner I sat and ate with everyone else but made a show of not being sociable with anyone but Sarah. If others tried to talk to me I would either keep my responses to one syllable words or ignore them completely as I concentrated on eating my dinner. The stew was delicious and served with fresh baked dinner rolls, salad, and Sarah’s take on tingeku. With Sarah here cooking the meals, the food was one of the few things Jake and his ilk didn’t complain about.

Once dinner was finished the alien races and the less than a quarter of those from Earth left the dining hall to find ways to entertain themselves until lights out. Sarah and I found a place near the back and I leaned casually against the wall, ignoring the discomfort of keeping my wings tied down so that they wouldn’t give me away. This isn’t good; I thought as I scanned the crowd, over three quarters of the humans here are willing to listen to whatever Jake and his father are going to propose. It was then that an older man bearing a noticeable resemblance to Jake, though a bit overweight and several inches shorter, stood up on one of the tables and addressed the dining hall. “Fellow humans! Now that the aliens and bug sympathizers have left, let’s discuss the reason we’re all here.” He appeared to think of himself as someone important and paused for what was probably meant to be dramatic effect, though to me it came off as smug self-importance.

“Get on with it Jared,” Someone nearby grumbled loudly, “We don’t have all night.” I smiled at that. He might have gotten most of the humans together for this little planning session but he was not liked by all of them, and I could use that.

Jared scowled in the direction of the man who had ruined his moment but did get on with it, sort of. He raised his hands in the air like some sort of tin pot dictator or televangelist as he addressed us again. “My people!” Cue another theatrical pause.

“Damn I hope these people don’t take him as seriously as he takes himself,” I muttered in an aside to Sarah.

My friend merely nodded in agreement as the pause ended and Jared spoke again. “It is time for us to face reality! For years we have been held captive on this space rock, slaves toiling for the benefit of the bugs who would crush us under their boots!”

“Does he even realize the irony of that statement?” I muttered, rolling my eyes.

“And he must have different definitions for time and work than the rest of us,” Sarah replied in a whisper. “He’s only been here for a year and from what I’ve heard from the others, the only time he does any actual work is when he’s working on the starship parts and has a Saer’khi working with him and checking his work.”

I shook my head sadly and turned my attention back to the yammering idiot. “… so I propose that we stop working and barricade ourselves and all the other slaves here inside the barracks! They’ll send people to get us back to work sooner or later and when they do we will fight back! We’ll get them to tell us how to unlock these slave bands and then we’ll go and steal a ship to get off this rock, and we’ll kill any bugs that get in our way!”

“That’s your big plan?” somebody scoffed. “That’s just going to cause a lot of injuries and probably deaths on both sides. We may have to work and not be able to leave, but this is still a hell of a lot better than what a lot of us had on Earth. The bugs see to all our needs and they’ve never mistreated us.”

“That is the mentality of a slave!” Jared responded to some applause as he tried to work the crowd. “We need to shake off the bonds that hold us here! We need to work for our freedom! This man may be happy being a slave, but what about the rest of you?!” Sadly a lot of the people were buying what he was selling.

The mystery man spoke up again though managing to get heard above the crowd. “I didn’t say I was happy. I just said I don’t like a plan that’s going to probably end up with a lot of dead and injured on both sides. You talk big but we’ve all seen how you avoid real work. You’re probably planning to do the same here, get us all to follow your plan and risk injury and death while you sit back and wait for the rewards, only coming out of hiding if you think your mob needs some direction.”

“He’s a bug sympathizer!” Jake yelled. The sentiment was quickly echoed by others.

The one man who was making any sense was now a target and Jared tried to turn that to his advantage. “You don’t like my plan but you haven’t offered an alternative. If you have a better plan I’ll gladly consider it,” he claimed. “Do you have a better plan? Does anyone here have a better plan?!”

The smug smile on his face as he waited for an answer, that he obviously didn’t expect to receive, was all the incentive I needed. Still leaning casually against the wall I called out. “I do.”

Jared just stared at me from his spot atop the table for a moment as others turned to see who had spoken. I couldn’t read what was in his thoughts from where I was but a person didn’t need to be a telepath to see the debate going on in his mind, it was written all over his face. He was trying to decide whether to have me prove myself an idiot or just dismiss me as a child. Apparently he decided on a mixture of the two. “Okay girly, why don’t you tell us why we should listen to you.”

I shrugged as I stood up straight and looked across the room straight into his eyes, “Because I’m the girly who can remove the slave bands, get us a ship, and get us off this space rock.”

“Listen kid, we don’t have time for your little fantasies so unless you can prove what you’re saying go play somewhere else and let the grownups talk,” he taunted.

I refused to allow myself to get angry. The best way to get back at him was to prove what a moron he was. “You want proof?” I kicked off my boots and stood on a table. “Look, no slave band. The Saer’khi have given up on having me wear one because I always get it off,” I lied. “So they decided to have me be useful in another way. They taught me to pilot the mag-transports so I could make deliveries to the barracks and such. Ask your son, he’s seen me pilot one.”

Jake looked from his father, to me, and then back again. “I’ve seen her get in an empty transport and leave the barracks Dad and she does deliver the honey.”

“Just because she’s not wearing a slave band doesn’t mean she can get them off us,” Jared argued.

I grinned at the older man. I had prepared for this and I motioned for Sarah to sit with me on the table. “Sarah, let’s get that thing off of you.” My friend gave me a questioning look but did as I asked. I took her ankle in my hands and stared at the band in question and began touching it, running my fingers along it in nonsensical patterns, giving it a series of finger taps and just basically making it look like I was entering some sort of code for the next minute before finally reaching out with my mind for the locking mechanism.

The band fell to the table with an audible clank in the now near-silent dining hall. “I can do everything I said I can, all you’ve got to do is follow my plan. Now are you interested? Or should Sarah and I leave this planet without you?”

I could see it in Jared’s eyes, he was not happy with being shown up by some kid at his own meeting but he knew that if he challenged me now he’d only end up losing support. For now he had to follow my lead and somehow make it look like he was still in charge. “Please, tell us what you have in mind.”

“First,” I stated clearly, “This is an all or none breakout. That means all humans and aliens in the barracks who are wearing a band are coming. If you can’t agree to everyone getting free then Sarah and I will leave on our own.”

There were only a few grumbles at that and Jared, while he looked fit to be tied, nodded his assent. “Fine, all of us who want off planet can come.”

“Okay then,” I said with a smile, “Now that we have all agreed on that, here’s what we’re going to do: Everyone is going to keep acting normally for the next three days. On the following morning I am scheduled to fly a transport to one of the new ships in orbit to bring up colonists and crew. I will tell them that there is a problem with the transport and that their departure will be delayed, and instead of picking them up I will come here to release you all from your bands and take you up to the ship.”

“Why can’t you remove the slave bands now?” Jared whined like a petulant child.

“That’s obvious,” a ginger-haired woman who looked to be in her early forties replied for me. “If we were all suddenly walking around without the bands the Saer’khi would know something was up.”

I smiled and nodded at the woman. “Right, which is why I’ll have to put Sarah’s back on.” Then I turned back to Jared and looking right at him I added, “But also, I don’t trust you to not do something stupid and jeopardize the plan if you’re running around on your own. Everyone here wants off planet so I’m not willing to take risks.”

“Yeah, well how do we know we can trust you,” Jared countered.

“Because I just stopped you from going through with an unbelievably stupid plan, and probably saved several lives by doing so,” I snapped. “Also I wouldn’t be here if I wasn’t willing to do everything I said, I could be happily somewhere else on my own right now if I really wanted, but I’m here with you. Now if you’ll excuse me I have a breakout to prepare for, I’ll see you all first thing in the morning in four days so be packed, waiting here in the dining hall, and ready to go.” I snapped Sarah’s band back on with an apologetic look, and stormed out of the dining hall and the barracks to go home.

* * *

My entire family was waiting in the common room when I arrived home. I had barely sat down when my mother asked, *So how did it go?*

*Some humans can be so stupid,* I replied with a growl while gathering my thoughts in the deeper recesses of my mind. Finally I added, *It was as bad as I thought. The self-styled leader of this little insurrection is an intolerant prick who doesn’t care who gets hurt. I got them to listen to me though, and I convinced them that I can get them off Saer’kah, so the plan is in motion.*

*Does it have to be you who does this?* Hased asked. There was concern written all over his face and his thoughts were tinged with worry.

*We have already discussed this,* I replied sadly. *Patience isn’t exactly a defining human trait. Now that this mob has thoughts of getting off planet in their heads they won’t wait long before trying something to make it happen. I have skills that will be useful to the colony and I was already seen by the humans in the barracks, and Jake in particular, as a form of rebel so I was the logical candidate. At least I’ve given us three days. Even if we did find another first that was willing to do this they would never be able to learn to fly the drop ship, let alone everything else I’ll need to learn. Can we be ready in three days?*

*The colony supplies will all be loaded onto the ship by tomorrow night,* Mom replied. *The ship is being streamlined for a smaller crew as you suggested but I really do wish you would consider a full sized crew.*

I shook my head. *I wish we could have a full crew but until I can explain the truth to them a lot of the humans will be distrusting of Saer’khi and a ship full of Saer’khi won’t help. It’s better to have a few that can stay out of the way and safe in sealed portions of the ship. I’ll tell them the truth once we’re underway and hopefully they won’t be so distrusting of Saer’khi by the time we arrive at a suitable planet. How big of a crew are we looking at Mom?*

*We believe the ship can be safely operated by a crew of five or six,* she answered. *Tarek will serve as pilot; I have found two suitable young Saer’khi males who have agreed to work in engineering; and Galli Thuul’s daughter Tanna will serve as co-pilot, communications officer, and navigator. You and Krie can serve as medical officers and assist other crew members as needed.*

I narrowed my eyes to stare at my mother and sister. *What do you mean me and Krie?*

*What she means is that I am going with you,* Krie answered. *I have been considering going on one of the colony ships for a while now and this could be dangerous. You will need family to watch out for you. Besides, the colony will need another medical officer in case something happens to you. Anything could happen out there and your nanites may do a lot but you still need time to heal from major injuries and you can still die.*

*I know anything can happen out there, which is exactly why I don’t want you coming. It’s bad enough that Tarek has insisted on coming. A lot of the humans on that ship are going to be hostile toward you and the other Saer’khi on board if I can’t convince them that you’re not as bad as they’re being led to believe. I don’t want any of you getting hurt,* I replied morosely.

Krie stood up and pulled me into an embrace that was both physical and mental. *The risk is ours to take, just as you are risking your own safety, so no more arguing.*

*You’ll both need durable clothes for when you reach a suitable planet,* Dhee pointed out pragmatically. *You should prepare for all types of weather.*

Hased gave a mental nod of approval. *Good thinking Dhee, I’ll take the girls downstairs, get their updated measurements, and start on some clothes for them so they can take them up to the ship with them tomorrow.* I mentioned how good a cook Hased was right? Well he did pretty much all the domestic work for our family while Mom worked at the hospital, Dhee worked as a pilot, and Lonin worked in the hives.

*Don’t take too long,* my mother cautioned. *They will need to be well rested. They only have three days to become familiar with the ship and its workings and to learn to pilot the drop ships. And I want to put them both through some photonic simulation exams to make sure they are ready to practice medicine for the colony.*

*Looks like we have a few busy days ahead,* I pointed out to Krie as we followed Hased to his workroom. *You can still back out if you want to.*

My sister put her arm around me and gave a mental shake of her head. *I’m coming Xia, so quit worrying and start thinking about how exciting this will all be. We’re going to be the first to discover some new planet and live on it. Who knows, we could even meet some alien race that we haven’t encountered before.*

Her mind was awhirl with excitement and wonder and I felt bad for pointing out. *Those things could also be exciting in a bad way, as in dangerous.*

*Life can be dangerous anywhere,* she countered. *Besides, if anything does go wrong we are both well equipped to handle it. Now come on and get in the body mapper so we both can get mapped and pick out some clothes for the trip.*

Seeing no point in arguing further about it I stepped into the small room with Krie. Once inside we quickly shed all of our clothes so that we could get ‘mapped’ and each stepped into a booth with a glowing blue circle on the floor. The body mapper was similar to the type we used in medicine to create a body template and calculate the exact dimensions for bionic limbs. This one though was specifically for making clothes and would map our body templates to make sure all our clothes would fit properly and have the sleeves, wing slits, and such in the right places.

Once we were both nude and in place the pressure plates let Hased know we were ready and he turned on the photonic projectors above, below, and all around us that would map our measurements. *Okay girls,* he sent, *Put your arms out to the sides, wings out straight, and stay as still as possible, this will only take a moment.* I closed my eyes and did my best not to move and to ignore the twitching feeling between my shoulder blades until the lights flashed and I heard Hased say, *It’s finished, you can both get dressed and come out now.*

Soon we were once again fully attired and back in Hased’s work room looking over the various types of clothes designs available on a display screen. *I don’t know why you bothered getting an updated template for me, it’s not like I could actually grow or anything,* I complained. Then to my surprise I discovered that Hased had some Earth clothes in the selection as well. *Omigod! Are those sneakers?!* I gave a mental squee as I looked over them and selected a black high top design with hot pink laces and trim. Then I continued to flip through more and more human options. *Where did you get all these designs?*

Hased just gave me a grin and my mind filled with warmth at his happiness. *I am so glad that you like them. We thought that you might be missing your home on Earth so, last year when Khella returned to Earth to see how they were progressing with the medical techniques we shared with them, I had her take along a portable scanner and go to some of the shops to get some scans and suitable material samples for the textile nanites to work with.*

*Like them? I love them! Thank you so much for this Hased. I think that the clothes are the thing I miss about Earth the most other than the food.* Other than the sneakers, I chose mostly simple things for my wardrobe: several pairs of jeans, sandals, some shorts and skirts, various tops, underclothes, and cold weather gear and boots for the winter. There were a few things added that I didn’t choose for myself as well. Krie saw the sundresses and fell in love with them and insisted we both get several of them and Hased insisted on a cheongsam to remember both my family on Earth and my family on Saer’kah. The latter was a traditional Chinese dress in red silk with embroidered gold flowers, slits up to the thigh on both sides, and an ankle length hem.

When I saw Hased’s selection I shook my head. *It’s lovely and I appreciate the thought but I doubt that I’ll ever get a chance to wear that. I don’t think I’ll ever get married and there probably won’t be many formal occasions. I’m not even sure why I’m letting you make sure there’s slits for my wings in all of these clothes.*

*I will have it made and you will take it, if only as a memento,* he insisted before kissing me affectionately on the forehead. *You never know what the future will bring, little flower.* He set the textile nanites to work on our clothing selections and the three of us headed back up to finish discussing what we would need to prepare. We stayed up late that night so that Krie and I could spend one last night in the company of our family before we headed off into the unknown.

 © 2013 Amethyst Gibbs
All rights reserved
up
281 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Leaving her family ?

It is sad that she will lose contact with her family. Perhaps she can return in time?

So, the compounds are for their protection then? Stupid humans, I might have known that they would add 2 + 2 and get 7.

I really like your way of being.

Gwendolyn

For the moment

Amethyst's picture

But the plan is that once the colony gets up and running that they will have long range subspace communications so they can communicate with Saer'kah. And once communications are set up there is also the possibility of visits back and forth so long as there isn't too great a distance, They do have travel back and forth between Earth and Saer'kah.

And the compounds were for the protection of the non-Saer'khi species and it will be mentioned more in the next chapter as several things come to light.

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Not that

I'm underestimating how stupid humans can be, but since the government knew the immigration was only a prelude to colonization, I have to wonder how much of this was deliberate sabotage. Maybe just a little monkey wrench to throw into the works while Earth tries to catch up. Never underestimate naked ambition and aggression in humanity either!

There is the very well handled communications problem too! Additionally there is the hive mentality thing which very different from fractiousness humans. There's bound to be problems.

Hugs
Grover

We will see

Amethyst's picture

Just how much of this is deliberate remains to be seen but in the next several chapters we will see just what other problems come from this situation, the communication issues, and how Xia and company deal with them.

*hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Doesn't sound intentional to

Doesn't sound intentional to me. That's just the kind of thing you'd expect the bueraucracy to forget. They'd get rid of their unwashed and unwanted masses. They'd be the problem of the aliens now. Hell, the Earth powers probably didn't even consider that the aliens might not tell their human colononists what is going on.

Many Male humans need physical chalenges

With out them they run a muck. I do not understand just what it is with some of the male population with the absolute need for conflict. It is like ,IMHO, there genetics, and instincts are stuck in the stone age. So if they are not killing of the mega fauna they kill each other, or entire civilizations.

How many civilizations have been sacked over the centuries or Melania for no other reason than a cycle of violence.

Give them physical challenges, like space mining, colonizing a new planet and this energy can be put to safe and constructive purposes.

I am hoping the plan works so the safety of both races can be secured. It is unfortunate that innocent beings need to compromise there lives to save some ungrateful people from lousing there dam fool lives.

Huggles Michele

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

There is often

Amethyst's picture

the kill first ask questions later mentality with humans. Not all humans are like that but there are enough to make any major undertaking with humans involved a bit risky. Then you have the plotters who seek power as well. It is a sad truth that in situations like these the innocent are often whose who sacrifice the most.

*hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Um... for all we know their

Um... for all we know their female counterparts are cheering them on. It's always been part of the human mating system that the females send the males into conflict and reproduce with the surviving strongest.

If we're talking about human archetypes then women are conservative and men are progressive. Men crave change, women want that everything stays the way it is. The safe way.

The idea that violence happens when men are bored is a very... female way to regard human history. I guess it's the female equivalent of saying women are only good for breeding and otherwise useless. As it happens the persons who suffer most from conflict are men after all.

Seeking conflict in the context of this story is actually a very reasonable idea. I mean the people are held in working camps, are told they get killed if they leave, are marked by "slave bands" or "yellow stars" and are left as utterly uninformed workers, when they expected to colonize new planets. It doesn't help that the insects treat them like idiots and that there are utterly loyal (brainwashed) first wave subjects. Anyone knowing anything about human psychology would have figured it was a bad idea to put these people together. On one hand we have Earth's unwanted that the Saer'ki bought as slaves with their technological marvels (that's probably the way they're going to see themselves) and on the other hand there are "the saved", to whom the Saer'ki are the paragons of virtue and goodness and don't want to hear a bad word about them.
Meanwhile our protagonist pulled a Moses, and is assuming that the human populace are all idiots. Hell, more than a few of the rebellious are going to smell a trap.
Bring the most rebellious of slaves into space -> vent the holding area -> problem solved.

And you wondered about doing SF.

Well, worry no more. This is good. Well structured, good aliens (as in their differences from humans) and a really good story to boot. Nice job here and I'll be watching for more of this one.

Maggie

To be fair

Amethyst's picture

I worry about everything I write, often to the point of obsessing over even the minor details. I'm glad that everyone is enjoying it and I hope that it continues to entertain as the story progresses. Thank you Maggie, and everyone else, for the vote of confidence.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Another great chapter!

Xia's plans are coming together nicely! I hope the idiot humans don't screw it up! Thank you Amethyst. Loving Hugs Talia

We'll see

Amethyst's picture

Thanks Talia, next chapter we'll see the ship and what precautions Xia and the crew will be taking. Though one must never underestimate a human's ability to screw things up. Who knows what will happen when things get underway... oh yeah I do ;)

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Hate to Say It...

But I didn't see anything in Mom's explanation that wasn't a justification for slavery.

- Why not just tell the humans that they're in mortal danger if they leave the electromagnetic field, provide a demonstration and then let them decide for themselves? Sure, not everyone will believe them and some will think that it's a set-up on the part of the "slavemasters". But "for their own good" in human history has too often meant "for our own profit", and limiting people's movement has usually meant "keeping them where we can control them." (And then there's compulsory armbands. When has that ever meant anything but a difference in status?)

- Of course they're making the humans work in ways that provide things for their own benefit. What slave colony doesn't? It's cheaper than bringing things in from elsewhere, and the slaves are worth more to everyone if they have useful skills, as long as they aren't skills that allow them to overthrow their oppressors.

- And now their essentially-forced labor is being used to assist in building ships to colonize other planets where "we can all coexist in harmony". Why would the humans think they'll be any freer once that happens? Transport to the American colonies didn't exactly give the African captives on the slave ships a more liberated existence.

- Xia has her relative freedom (after an harsh object lesson that she's better off outside with her new family than she would be with the other migrants). But slave manors have always had their more privileged inside servants -- and they've often included the progeny of the slaveowner. It seems clear to us that Xia's more than that, but she's said herself that she'd have a hard time proving it if her fully human disguise failed. And the fact remains that the purpose of her plan is to convince the humans to do what the Saer'khi want them to. (For everyone's own good, of course. See above.)

Clearly we're intended to root for Xia here, and if the telepathic link really works both ways, she's probably not being duped by the Saer'khi through her good intentions. (Which is what I would think looking at the events taking place.) But it struck me as awfully easy to mollify her fears.

Eric

There are of course two sides

Amethyst's picture

There are of course two sides to each story and Xia is beginning to see that despite her distrust of humans. And it is easy to convince her of the Saer'khi's innocence through ignorance. She knows that they didn't intend it as slavery but she also knows that the conditions are extremely similar to it even if it's not. We get to why it was so easy to ease her fears though in the next chapter.

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

As usual, the loudest,

As usual, the loudest, dumbest one hops onto the soapbox.
The scary part is, as usual, we(figuratively) follow him like sheep to the slaughter.

Karen

: )

LOVE coming across "oldies but goodies"!!! I am hooked!

alissa

I'm glad you're enjoying it

Amethyst's picture

Now that I'm back I'm working on this one as well, since it's one of the ones that I would very much like to finish.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

All mouth and no action

Jamie Lee's picture

Jared is one of those who get others to do the work, or dirty work, and sits back and takes the credit. He's also a very ignorant man, wanting action before dialog. Once they get into space, he should be spaced to prevent any future problems from him; wishful thinking.

With Jared running his mouth, and trying to act like the leader, it's very likely that he'll do his best to disavowal anything said about the ship and the reason for its existance. And the original reason they were brought from Earth.

Others have feelings too.