Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2209

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2209
by Angharad

Copyright © 2013 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

I was busy making bread–the machine was going to be–I was filling it with various ingredients in the hope that come breakfast, I might feel more like eating. I thought I heard my mobile peep for a text. Assuming it was one of the hotel mob, I picked it up and opened it up.

‘Message from Jacquie’ it said. I opened the message. ‘We’re ok. Jx’

I sent a text back asking where she was. I received no reply. I went and saw the policewoman who called her superior. He wasn’t long in arriving.

“I’ve spoken to your network and as far as we can ascertain, it was her phone that was used, but it was too short to check for positioning.”

“In other words anyone with access to her phone could have sent it?”

“In a word, yes. I’m sorry. It might mean she’s okay, it might mean anything.”

“I’m really worried about the little one. The milk I expressed has been used but she’s not eating solids yet, so she might be hungry.”

“We’re doing all we can. The trail seems to have gone cold.”

“I know you are, I’m sorry, just very worried.”

“I’m sure you are. This girl, Jacquie, wouldn’t have harmed them would she?”

“No.”

“You know about her previous life because we arrested an ex colleague over it.”

“I know all about it and she was set up. I am sure she hasn’t done anything to harm them.”

“I had to ask you the question.”

“Fine.” I switched on the bread machine.

“Nice machine, my wife uses one, a smaller version than that.”

“Size is important when you have to feed the five thousand.”

“Ah yes, I see your meaning. If that’s it, I’ll speak with you later, Lady Cameron. If you have any further communication from Jacquie, let us know immediately–and I mean immediately, time is of the essence.”

“D’you think she sent it?” I asked.

“I don’t know at this stage.”

“Cate is crying,” I said.

“She very possibly is.”

“She is, I heard her.”

“Look, why don’t you go and have a lie down, you look all done in.”

“You don’t understand.”

“No I don’t.”

“Simon,” I called and he came rushing into the kitchen.

“What’s up, babes?”

“I heard Cate crying.”

“What outside?” he walked towards the door.

“No, inside–inside here.” I indicated my heart.

“I suggested your wife should take a rest, Lord Cameron.”

“I heard her–there she goes again.”

“I couldn’t hear anything, babes.”

“Of course not, you’re not her mother. Oh bugger, I’m leaking. Excuse me, Inspector, I need to express some milk. She’ll need it, that little Lizzie.” I shooed them out of the kitchen and began expressing the milk. I hear her crying again this time there were two voices. I knew they were still alive but I needed them to show me where they were.

I sat with my eyes closed listening and pumping the milk out of my swollen breasts. I tried to visualise where they were but all I got was blackness. That frightened me for a moment then I realised it was dark outside, so things would be dark, wouldn’t they?

Did this mean they were outside somewhere? Was Jacquie alright? It was so confusing. I continued to express. The cries continued, so why couldn’t I tune into them? I cursed my bad luck then seemed to wonder if I was doing things wrongly.

I put the two small bottles of milk into the fridge and heard the cries again. I walked to the sink and rinsed my equipment and heard them again. I worked out what I needed to do. The babies were calling to me. A shiver ran up and down my spine. I needed to hurry.

I put my shoes back on and got my old coat from the utility room. It was very thick and warm. I also pulled on my old woolly hat and some gloves, grabbed my handbag including my phone and LED torch and slipped out of the door. So far so good. I headed up though the orchard, the moon being light enough for me to see where I was going. In the distance I heard the helicopter still searching for my family. I hoped they were still okay. I’d taken a drink before I left so by the time I found them, the churns should be filling up again–I had spare pads in my bag just in case and a couple of disposable nappies. Not exactly eco friendly, but these were desperate times.

Once clear of the house, I stood quietly and listened. I walked towards the crying. Half an hour later, I was heading towards the town centre pausing before picking my direction. Once I must have been distracted because I had to go back on myself. On occasions the traffic noise made it difficult to distinguish direction but once in the back streets of old Portsmouth town, it was relatively quiet.

I walked past a house and the cries stopped. I turned to my right, then right again and walked back. After about twenty yards, they sounded behind me. I turned and retraced my steps. The cries stopped abruptly again. I stepped sideways to face the house and they sounded in front of me. It was ten o’clock and I knew where my babies were. I’d have to prove it before the plod would help me and that would require a combination of sleight of hand and old fashioned brute force. I wondered how many people were in the house. I couldn’t know without entering and counting them and anything could happen if I did get in.

I noted the name of the street and number of the house. I programmed my phone to send the details to Simon with the message - HELP! at the press of a button. Now to continue my reconnaissance.

Two houses further on I turned into another side street and to my delight there was a lane behind the houses, I quickly walked down the lane and counted the houses along. The door to the garden or yard was locked and the wall was at least six feet high. I tired the gardens on either side, those doors were locked as well.

The houses were large Victorian terraced ones with three storeys. I certainly wasn’t planning on climbing up any dirt pipes on this occasion. To start with I couldn’t effect an entry into the garden let alone the house. Just as I was about to feel despair again a cat walked up to me and wrapped itself around my legs. I absently stroked it and it purred then walked ahead of me as if waiting for me. When I hesitated it came back and encouraged me to follow it. Was it trying to tell me something? It stopped and sat at garden door as if waiting for me to open it for her. I lifted the latch and the door opened, and in the moonlight I could see the dividing walls were much lower. I was going to stroke my helper but she’d disappeared.

I felt alone again then spotted her on the dividing wall I made my way towards her and pulled myself over it and crossed the garden. She trotted off to the next wall showing me where to scramble over it. A security light came on and I dived behind a bush. I saw a curtain move and the cat walked back across the garden. The door opened and a male voice said, “Oh it’s some bloody cat. Go away puss.” I reckoned I had one more garden to cross before I was in the right one. Unfortunately, that was the one with the dog in it.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
211 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Cathy's at it again

D. Eden's picture

I was wondering why she couldn't hear the kids or find them - like Cathy, I guess I was looking at it the wrong way. As a mother, she needed to use her heart to find her babies. I should have known that.......

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Spooky!

"I worked out what I needed to do. The babies were calling to me. A shiver ran up and down my spine. I needed to hurry."

I think this is one of the more interesting cliffhangers in the story... gave me a chill as I read.

Will Cathy get more help from the cat?

I suppose the cops had to ask but Cathy knows Jacquie.

So summat is up.

Once again, we'll just have to hang by our fingernails or whatever. Another coat-hanger ending me-thinks.

Still lovin' it Ang,

Thanks again.

Bevs.

bev_1.jpg

So it is a straight kidnapping is it?

I wonder if it is one of those fanatic religious plunkers? Good job on hanging us by our thumbs ! :)

Gwendolyn

Really hope that

Jacquie is okay. The babies seem to be fine to a point as they are the guides.

Thanks dear Ang

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

Could it be another

god from ancient history helping Cathy in her search?.. the ancient egyptians at one time worshipped the cat goddess Bast who over a period of time became the deity representing protection, fertility, and motherhood, So its kind of apt that Cathy has been receiving help from one of her furry friends...

Quite what she will find when she gains access to the house is anyones guess, But i would certainly hate to be in the way of Cathy and her babies if anyone tries to use her family for there own uses...

Kirri