The Show Must Go On

Printer-friendly version

Teen goes from understudy Romeo to sultry Juliette!

ROCKBRIDGE, IOWA--When fifteen-year-old student Justin McGuire volunteered to work backstage for his school's annual drama club performance, he had no idea he'd soon move to the spotlight...as leading lady!

"Justin was always excited to help out with our plays," says drama coach Helen Spencer, 60. "He auditioned as a freshman, but unfortunately he didn't really have the stage presence for any of the roles. When we offered him the job of technical director, he lapped it up. The next year, when we put on 'Steel Magnolias', Justin was prepared to run everything from the lights to the curtain. Unfortunately, two days from opening night, one of our actresses was in a bad car accident."

When the girl slated to play Shelby, a young beauty queen and bride, broke her legs in a car wreck, the school was afraid the show would have to be cancelled.

"We're a small school," says Spencer. "We had a hard enough time casting the existing parts. There wasn't a girl around who'd be willing to take the part with no rehearsals or preparations whatsoever. That's when we came up with a desperate plan."

"When Ms. Spencer asked me to play Shelby, I was stunned," says Justin. "But I'd been to every rehearsal. I knew everyone's lines, everyone's blocking. I knew if I practiced my butt off, I could pull it off. The problem was, would the audience believe me as a twenty-year-old bride to be?"

"Justin was such a sport," says Sue Jenkins, 17, a fellow cast member. "There are only six roles in 'Magnolias,' all of them for women. Well, we had no choice but to turn Justin into Justine."

show1_0.jpg

Justin McGuire at age fifteen

After an intense couple of days, the girls of the production had turned the awkward sophomore into a stunning actress.

"I wish we could take all the credit, the makeup and costume people did great. But Justin deserves most of the praise. The boy's a chameleon."

show2.jpg

Justin as Shelby

"I was terrified the first time I went out on stage in that dress and heels, and it wasn't just opening night jitters," says the male actress. "It was like the whole town was there, all my classmates, even my parents."

"The boy was obviously nervous at first," says Spencer, "but by act two, he'd found his center. By curtain call, you'd never believe that you were watching anything but a talented young lady."

"My parents bought me a bouquet of roses on closing night," blushes Justin. "The girls in the show invited me to their cast party, but insisted I dress like Shelby. I guess I didn't mind."

If Justin thought his days as an actress were over, he was mistaken. The next year, when the school put on a production of 'The Music Man,' Justin was anxious to land the role of Professor Harold Hill.

"I was all set to audition, when Ms. Spencer handed me the script for Marian the Librarian!" says Justin. "She wanted me to try out for the female lead."

"'Music Man' was a much bigger production, with a lot of singing roles. Everyone agreed, only Justin had the range, the poise, and yes, the petite frame, to make a convincing Marian," says Jenny Peters, another member of the cast.

Since this was no last minute replacement, Justin was forced to undergo months of training. "By the time we got done with him, he looked more natural in those period dresses than any other cast member, myself included," relates Jenny. "When the play rolled around, he was even coming to school dressed like a girl. I think he lost track of where he ended and his character began. Kids teased him a little, but I think most people were impressed at how seriously he took his part."

"It wasn't like that," says Justin. "It's just that it wasn't easy being a teenage boy in the mornings and a twenty-something woman during rehearsal. Dressing as a girl helped me understand my character better. My mom and sisters really helped me out, lending me their clothes and doing my makeup. I think they were happy that I was finally coming out of my shell."

marian.jpg

Justin (left) as Marian the Librarian

'The Music Man' proved to be a huge hit for the drama club. The play opened to a standing room only crowd, most of whom had no idea that 'Justine' McGuire was actually Justin.

Now a senior, Justin is gearing up for his most challenging role: the leading lady in 'Romeo and Juliette.'

"It's going to take a lot of practice, but I think I can do it," blushes Justin, who now only answers to Justine. "I've stopped dressing as a boy, I find it distracting when I'm trying to think like a woman. I asked my doctor to prescribe me some pills to keep my voice from changing. They've had some other effects as well, but that's the price you pay in show business."

Justine will be graduating this spring, but has no plans to give up his desire to be a silver screen siren.

show.jpg

Justine McGuire (right), with her friend, Sue

"I've been accepted into drama schools all over the state, and have had some offers to play in some off-Broadway productions as well. I'm very excited."

And what does the young lady's family think about his rise to stardom?

"Justin will always be our little boy," says Justin's mother, Eileen. "But I don't think there's any stopping him now. It wouldn't surprise me if he brings home the Oscar for Best Actress someday."

up
147 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Marian....

Andrea Lena's picture

...oh to portray a librar-EE-an! Oscar for sure, but I'd really think she'd be more suited to Broadway and a Tony.... Thanks for this lovely story!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Heeeeey ...

… is this a brand new story? If so,WHOOPPIE!
Another masterpiece from the master! Hugx - **Sigh**

Words may be false and full of art;
Sighs are the natural language of the heart.
-Thomas Shadwell

Seems Justin's found his niche in life.....

As Justine, But at what point does it stop being just a role to play and become a way of life. Seduced by the wiles of femininity Justin's changed to Justine forevermore! Nice li'l story Czolgolz! (Hugs) Taarpa

Show must go on...

The story is good. You are correct about small schools needing everyone and such a casting. It would be nice to hear about Justine's feeling, her give and take with his sisters. I suspect he was first shy about being called pretty. They would have taught him to use the make-up when he went to school as Justine. Etc.

Mason City, Ia was the original setting of the Music City of Music Man

Hugs, Jessie

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Love it! Sequel?

Great story and great use of pictures! Clearly justin makes a better girl then he does boy. I'd love to get an update on Justin a few years later. How have things gone for him?