Dancing Queen: 4

Printer-friendly version
Invitations to lunch and to dance

Ballroom dancing has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember, but I didn’t realise just how important it would become in shaping my future, until I had to take the place of one of my bosses following an accident.


Dancing Queen


A novel


by Louise Anne Smithson

Copyright © 2013 Louise Anne Smithson
All Rights Reserved.

Image Credit: Picture from Wikimedia Commons. Free for commercial and personal use with restriction under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported licence.


 
Chapter 4 —Michelle at work and on the floor

I kept my head down at the word processor doing my usual work for most of the morning, letting Helen or Sarah deal with any clients who came through the door. However, at one point Sarah did ask me to take several packages to the Post Office for her. The prospect of going out on my own, dressed as a girl was not particularly appealing, but I couldn’t very well refuse as this was part of my normal duties and she was clearly unable to manage them herself. In the event the little trip turned out to be less nerve wracking than I imagined. The people I passed in the street and the woman who served me all appeared to accept me at face value and so I began to relax a little more and no longer assumed that everyone I passed would be able to see through my disguise.

By the time I got back Rob had returned to the office.

‘So, Michelle, how did you get on with your little venture outside?’ he asked.

‘Alright I suppose, I’m gradually getting a little more used to walking in these high-heeled shoes.’

‘Good, that was one of the objects of the exercise,’ commented Sarah. Then, turning to her husband, she asked, ‘Rob, have you spoken to Alan yet?’

‘Yes, he thinks it is a totally crazy idea and he also complained that he is always expected to dance with novice partners.’

‘So what did you say to him?’

‘That ‘Michelle’ was a competent dancer who already knew the dances and in any event it was only for this one occasion.’

‘So has he agreed to co-operate?’

‘Not exactly; he’s reserving judgment but has at least he agreed to meet us all at the Dance Studio at 6.15 this evening.’

‘In that case, young lady, you will have to do your best to impress him this evening,’ said Sarah to me.

I didn’t reply, but noticed that Helen had looked up from her work and was smiling at me.

‘I suppose I’ve gone so far with this idiotic plan that I can’t easily back out now,’ I murmured.

‘Of course you can, if you wish, but I hope you will at least give it a try this evening,’ said Sarah.

I didn’t reply as I wasn’t sure whether I wanted to back out or not.

~o~O~o~

Somewhat to my surprise, Helen asked me if I wanted to join her for lunch; something she’d never done before during the six months or so that we’d worked together. Presumably she hadn’t wished to give Mike the wrong idea by appearing too friendly, whereas she didn’t think it would be an issue for her to have lunch with Michelle. I agreed and we went to a sandwich bar nearby.

‘So how does it feel to have become one of us, Michelle?’ she asked, when she was sure that we were out of earshot of anyone else.

‘One of us?’ I asked being deliberately obtuse.

‘I mean a member of the opposite sex. I think you’ve managed very well so far today.’

‘Thanks. I still find these clothes and the long hair a little strange,’ I replied, ‘but I’m gradually getting used to them.’

‘I don’t think you are in much danger of giving yourself away just by your looks alone, but you’ll need to be careful with your gestures and the way you walk and present yourself. Be aware about what you do with your hands as your fingernails are a little bit short, and make sure you keep your knees together when you are sitting.’

‘There seems to be so much that I need to worry about but I suppose it is only for the rest of today and perhaps tomorrow. I’m glad that I don’t actually live in Dunstable, and so I’m not likely to bump into anyone who knows me.’

‘By the way, what has happened to your stammer?’

‘What do you mean?’

‘I don’t think I’ve heard you stammer once this morning.’

‘Most of the time I’m hardly aware that I am doing it. Maybe it is because my mind is concentrating on other things.’

‘Aren’t you a little bit worried about this demonstration dance that you’re due to give on Saturday afternoon then?’

‘It’s still not certain that I shall be dancing; it’ll be up to my dance partner to decide, but if we do go ahead they are two relatively straightforward dances.’

‘How will I know whether you are going to be dancing or not?’ she asked.

‘If I come in to work tomorrow dressed as Michelle rather than Mike then I think you can safely assume that I’ll be dancing on Saturday.’

‘In that case I hope to see Michelle again tomorrow.’

I smiled, not sure what I felt about the matter.

‘Unfortunately I’m due to work on Saturday, so I won’t get to see you dance.

‘I expect that someone will take some photographs.’

‘If the demonstration does go ahead will you have to wear one of those long flowing dresses?’

‘Yes, I shall be borrowing one from Sarah.’

‘I wish I could see you wearing a long dress,’ she said.

‘Rob will be bringing it in for me to change into after work this afternoon, so we can go straight on to the dance studio where I’ll meet my partner.’

‘In that case, I’ll have to stay on for a while after the office has closed.’

~o~O~o~

Rob arrived back from his appointment just as we were about to close the shop. He was carrying the dress in a cellophane wrapper.

Sarah and Helen took me to the back office and helped me to get changed.

‘Wow, you look lovely, Michelle,’ said Helen

Then turning to Sarah she asked, ‘Is there anything I can do to help?’

‘You could put some lacquer on her finger nails, whilst I do her hair and makeup,’ said Sarah.

I couldn’t help noticing Sarah’s use of the female form of the personal pronoun, but wasn’t sure whether it was deliberate or not. However, given the way in which I was dressed and had spent my day, I didn’t feel able to make an issue out of it.

‘You nails are rather short. I have some stick-on nail tips at home, which you would be welcome to use on Saturday,’ Helen commented as she painted my nails.

‘Great, bring them in to work with you tomorrow,’ said Sarah without even consulting me.

‘You are rather assuming that this will be going ahead,’ I said.

‘I wouldn’t have gone to this much trouble if I thought the idea would be a non-starter,’ said Sarah.

‘Well, let’s hope Alan is of the same opinion when we meet up with him,’ I replied.

‘May I just remind you ladies that I am parked on a double yellow line outside,’ called Rob from outside the door.

‘Don’t worry, we’re almost done, and most of the traffic wardens will have gone off duty by this time,’ said Sarah.

A few minutes later the three of us emerged and Rob began to help his wife into the back seat.

‘Good luck tonight, Michelle, you look lovely in that dress and I’m looking forward to meeting you again tomorrow,’ said Helen giving me a quick kiss on the cheek.

‘Thanks for all your help,’ I replied.

Rob then proceeded to help me get into the front seat without creasing my dress.

We arrived at the Dance Studio about ten minutes before we were due, so I’d taken off the coat that I’d borrowed from Sarah and had just brushed my hair when Alan arrived, looking smart in his black suit. He was in his late-twenties, fair haired tall and muscular looking. He would have been a popular partner for several of the ladies, if it were not for the fact that he was known to be gay.

‘Wow, Mike, you certainly look the part,’ he said on first catching sight of me.

I blushed slightly.

‘Alan, let me introduce you to Michelle, who I hope will be your dance partner on Saturday afternoon,’ said Rob.

He smiled and took my hand.

‘In that case, Michelle, let us now see how we get on dancing together.’

Rob was a competent amateur ballroom dancer but he was not in the same league as Alan who had an innate sense of musicality and could successfully translate this into movement. He was both strong and yet nimble on his feet, which are attributes that aren’t often found in the same person. From the first moment I allowed myself to be guided round the floor by him we moved together almost as one. I forgot all about my heels or my dress and just followed his lead. We had not been dancing for ten minutes before I was sure that I wanted to be his partner and that together we could lead a creditable demonstration. We then switched from the Waltz to the Foxtrot, and once again it was a new and pleasurable experience to be in the arms of such an expert dancer as we glided round the floor.

At the end of a typical set of dances it is usual for the male dancer either to thank his partner, or else to give her a friendly hug or kiss on the cheek if they were particularly friendly or related to one another.

‘Wow, you really can dance,’ said Rob to me with a degree of surprise in his voice. ‘Thank you very much.’

He gave me a little formal bow by way of acknowledgment.

‘You are most welcome,’ I said smiling and executing a small curtsey in return whilst thinking to myself, ’and so can you.’

‘So what do you think?’ asked Rob as Alan led me off the dance floor.

‘If you can clear things with Sonia, I should be happy to take your place and dance with Michelle on Saturday.’

‘How about you, Michelle?’ asked Sarah. ‘How do you feel about the idea, now?’

I suspect that she was quite confident of my answer or else she would never have asked the question.

‘I think we could make a pretty good team,’ I replied, trying my best not to show too much enthusiasm. ‘So if you’re willing to continue to house and clothe me until Saturday, I guess I’ll do it.’

‘It’s a deal,’ said Sarah, smiling.

Rob looked relieved and left us to go and telephone Sonia and explain the new arrangements to her. He doubted if there would be a problem for the coming weekend. Sonia knew that she was not yet competent enough to be one of the lead couple, but would be pleased to be one of the supporters and also partnered by the chairman of the society.

‘Those two routines are just a little bit dull; now that we both know that the other one can dance I don’t suppose we could try and spice them up a little, to give the spectators their money’s worth?’ suggested Alan.

‘I originally intended to put in a couple of arc-turns and a free spin at the end of the Waltz and some triple steps and a twist turn for the woman in the Foxtrot, but we took them out after Sarah hurt her leg as they are not strictly necessary,’ I said.

‘How would you feel about re-instating them?’ he asked.

‘We could give it a try, if you want.’

‘In that case, let’s see what we can do,’ he said leading me back on to the dance floor.

Next time: Preparations for a demonstration.

Thanks to Bronwen for editing and to everyone else for comments and kudos which are always appreciated. The next chapter should be published on 16 November. Louise

up
253 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

It's Shaping Up As Permanent

joannebarbarella's picture

"Strictly Ballroom" eat your heart out. Michelle is going to be fabulous,

Joanne

Very nice reading for a late sunday morning,

late for me at least. Thank you for this very nice story and look forward to seeing where Mike/Michelle go from here.

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

Oh darn, you mean I have to

Oh darn, you mean I have to wait until the 16th to read the next chapter??? I was gonna pout then remembered I am supposed to be an adult not a bratty kid.. HUH OK I will wait
really darn good story though

And now the scores...

Andrea Lena's picture

...Carrie Ann Inaba? 'Ten' ...Len Goodman? 'TEH-en!' ...Bruno Tonioli? 'TEN???!!!'
'

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

"Wow, you really can dance!"

Of coarse she can, as if there ever was any doubt! I suspect that come sunday morning our dear sweet Michelle will still be here. Thank Louise for continuing with this one, keep'em comin' hon, (Hugs) Taarpa

A Quandary

I love this story! I have the proverbial two left feet and have no rhythm, however I would love to find a dance partner to twirl me around the floor while I am wearing a beautiful gown.

Sigh.

But that's not what I meant to write about, just got carried away.

Do we see the beginning of a quandary here? Helen seems to be enamoured with Michelle and, well, Alan being gay...

Just saying.

Danielle

Interesting...

Though, today short nails are not all that uncommon... To be honest, I should rather say they seem to be quite common. It's folks with in between length that are rare. Mine were doing quite nicely through October when they suddenly started self destructing... An increase in my D (I'm deficient, and when it drops below a certain level my nails seem to be the first to go), and the self destruct stopped, but the damage was done. They're only now starting to grow back out - with the help of Jell polish.

Interesting premise.
Annette

Fist pump !

Ginger and Adele. eat your collective hearts out !
We have a perfect dance pair (roller skating term), A gay man and a tg?
They will float over the floor.
Another 'home run' Louise.

Cefin