Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2186

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2186
by Angharad

Copyright © 2013 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

Simon had gone by the time I woke at seven, even then it wasn’t very light and my first reaction was to turn over and go back to sleep except the voices on the radio wouldn’t let me. It seems the storm had claimed several lives, so we were very lucky. It was also ironic that I’d not been injured directly by the storm but in attempting to react to it. I’ll look where I’m going in future or get myself a crash helmet.

Eventually, enough brain cells fired to cause me to leave the bed and shower. It astonished me that I could wash my hair without worrying about the injury, which appeared to have healed completely. Sometimes I wonder if one day I shall wake up and find myself in bed, still as Charlie having dreamt the whole thing. What I would do in that event, I don’t know.

I roused the girls including Danni, Julie and Phoebe only to realise it was half term anyway which was why Phoebe had been helping Julie. The younger ones went back to bed and Julie asked Danni if she’d like to do some more cleaning up at the salon for some money and Danni jumped at the chance.

I collected the hormones for her while she was at work with Julie and Phoebe. I wasn’t sure how I felt about her taking them–in fact I was sure–I didn’t like it, but I’d agreed she could so was stuck with it. Life seems full of double binds at times and I’m damned whichever way I move.

I got one or two things as well including some sweeties for the children, some more fruit and some cleanser. Julie is always telling me to buy it through her, except she doesn’t sell the one I like and hers is dearer. I got each of the girls a pack of facial cleansing wipes as they were on special offer, so added a pack for me as well.

The prescription was quite expensive–private ones are–but otherwise there’d have been a query about the child’s name or sex not complying with the list on the local health authority’s list, which could have raised all sorts of problems. I’m sure Stephanie would have dealt with them but it was good for her not to have to bother. As it was the pharmacist checked the age with me. “Is that right, she’s thirteen?”

“Yes.”

“It’s a bit unusual for a child that age to be on hormones.”

“Perhaps you’d like to contact Dr Cauldwell and challenge her right as a consultant to prescribe medicines as she sees fit.”

“I don’t think that will be necessary, you realise you’ll have to pay the full charge for this prescription?”

“I usually do when they’re private.” God, he was pompous and boring and I had better things to do than wait for him to try and humiliate me first.

“And that includes a dispensing fee.”

“I’m aware of that.”

“Good. I’ll get the prescription for you then.”

“Thank you.”

The bar-steward made me wait another ten minutes and I was about to request the prescription back–it was mine after all–when he passed me a bag and bill for twenty-five quid. I handed him my card to pay for it.

“Oh, Dr Watts, sorry, I didn’t realise, I’ll be pleased to assist in whatever way I can in future.”

I said nothing but pressed my pin number and enter and retrieved my card afterwards picking up the bag as soon as I’d replaced the card in my purse. I was pretty sure I’d only use him in future if I absolutely had to.

Instead of returning home I went to the university where Daddy was trying to catch up on his paperwork. Pippa made a cuppa while I went to check the dormice. They were starting to prepare for hibernation and we had a prepared series of holes for them to make their nests in, as well as the required grass and honeysuckle they use for lining it. The temperature is kept much the same as the outside one and anytime now it was likely to be cold enough to stimulate them to go into hibernation mode. I left some dried fruit and nuts for them and went to have my cuppa.

“Sae hoo is Siá¢n daein’ this mornin’?”

“Oh poo, I forgot all about her–damn–I’ll have to go.” I gulped down my tea and raced out to the car and drove home as quickly as I could. The traffic was awful especially near Gun Wharf Quay. There’s no money about but people are still spending–duh.

“Mummy, Siá¢n and Auntie Stella have gone for a walk with her babies and our two.”

I had to think for a moment, two babies–oh yes, Lizzie and Cate. “Thank you, Livvie, did they say what time they’d be back?”

“I don’t know, Mummy.”

“Okay, we’ll just have to wait won’t we? Where is everybody?”

“Trish is upstairs looking for a book, Meems is playing with her dolls and Danni has gone to see either Pia or Cindy.”

“How was she getting there?”

“She’s taken her old mountain bike. She said you’d be cross, but she couldn’t let you know.”

“I had my phone with me, she could have texted or phoned me.”

“I didn’t think of that, I thought it was your phone that was on the kitchen table.”

“No, mine is–” I searched my bag, it wasn’t there. I looked on the table and it was mine. So despite my annoyance at Danni going there without telling me beforehand, it was partly my error, so I couldn’t say very much.

I thanked Livvie and asked her to ask Trish to come and see me in my study. She did and two minutes later Trish was peeping round the door, “You rang?” she said and chuckled.

“Yes, Lurch,” I replied and she walked in like a zombie and promptly fell over the cat who ran between her legs. Fortunately neither were hurt by the experience and she ended up laughing.

“What did you want me for anyway, Mummy?”

“To return these.” I handed her her laptop and phone.”

“Thank you,” she said taking them.

“I’m surprised you haven’t asked me for them.”

“Been reading.”

“Oh, which book?”

In Search of Schrodinger’s Cat.”

“Isn’t that one of mine?”

“Yeah, it’s quite good.”

“If you like Quantum theory.”

“I do, Mummy. Just ‘cos you can’t understand it doesn’t mean we’re all thick.”

“I think you’d better go before I take your electronic toys again.”

“Oh, sorry, Mummy, I meant...”

“I know what you meant, now scram.”

“Yes, Mummy,” she nipped out the door before I changed my mind. As soon as she was gone I sniggered, she was dead right, but if I let her get away with insulting me she’ll be even harder to live with, so I have to pull her up on it. Sometimes I wonder if it’s harder bringing up a super clever kid or a pretty dumb one?

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
217 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Rearing super bright kids ...

is a pain in the butt. Give me the dumb ones every time. You can bull-shit them all the time and it's more peaceful that way. However don't try and teach them anything. It's like pushing butter up a porcupine's rectum with a hot needle.

Pick your battles and battle-fields.

Good un Ang.

Still lovin' it.

Bev

Glitzy girls 7 Oct 2013_0.jpg

Growing old disgracefully. I was NOT pissed, (I don't drink)
I was inspecting the Bike path after trapping my heel in a dangerous rut.

How ironic is that!!!?

bev_1.jpg

We all get stuck in ruts sometimes. Bev

Love you piccies. I think your only stuck rut is on the road. You are too active to be otherwise.

Another great chapter, Ang.

Much Love,

Valerie R

Super clever kids...

are infinitely harder to raise. Especially one such as Trish, with a surfeit of brain smarts and less "street smarts" (though she still has plenty of the latter at times).

Thanks for today's episode.

Just another day in the life

Trish is getting worse and worse. Sometimes you wonder if Cathy is raising a midget. Still on tenterhooks about Sian.

Kim

So Maybe Stella

finds the companion she needs. Danni is not thinking things through it seems like, thought she was going to help Julie, Hmmm?

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

Oops!

Angharad's picture

It's not Danni who's not thinking through, but moi! Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa - mind you I had just driven 80 miles in wind and rain and darkness prior to writing this, perhaps it shows! See if I can get out of it after a day's IT training, my head is full of mush!

Angharad

not the Dreaded IT Training

That can be as bad as the Spanish Inquis, least from my side of it as there are always questions that make me want to revoke their rights to touch a keyboard.

Why can't I find my document? the power was only off for a moment. This after installing a UPS on the server but not in line with any desktops. Not a fun day, the answer is save early and often. As recovery can then salvage some lost parts sometimes..

Oh my Can everyone tell how happy I am that Jas is home just rambling on and on

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree