Masks Chapter 18

Printer-friendly version

Masks Chapter 18

*Before….

Mark’s there setting down tea stuff so we can make our own. “That’s the night that after the cops and Aunt Els got you home, you took the pills right?”

What?

“Oh…oh shit M.J…..” I’m freaked, floored and I’ve never heard any of this….

“It just hurt so much!” She wails. “They…they were supposed to be my friends! But they…they just turned their backs on me and called me slut and witch!”

......

That gets a sobby wet laugh from Mary Jane and I hug her tight, really tight and stay there. “M.J.?”

(Sobby-sniffle.) “Yeah…?”

“You never, ever fucking do that again you hear me? I can’t make it through this fucking curse with out you.” I sobbed out that last half of it.

She turns and she looks at me.

Yeah more tears are rolling down her face and she swallows a few times and nods. But instead of talking because we just can’t yet we hook pinky fingers again.

*And Now…

It’s so intense this whole afternoon and everything…I mean it’s been a super intense couple of days but this.

It’s other level stuff. I mean I get why they moved, I get why Mom and Dad are good with me and M.J. being girlfriends.

This stuff with her, it wasn’t that long ago.

It wasn’t that long ago that she tried to overdose and kill herself.

The thought, the thought of losing her, the though of losing my best friend, the best friend I have always wanted squeezes my heart so hard it hurts me physically just to think about it.

I can’t lose her, I just can’t.

I wouldn’t do something stupid but it really does feel like it’d kill me.

I’ve been so alone in this dark place for so long…

Which is why we’re pinkie locked and holding each other and both doing the full on ugly cry over each other.

We’re like that for awhile and it’s like sort of out of nowhere that Mom’s home and she’s rubbing my back and M.J.’s and making soothing noises and I’m looking at her and she’s wiping at my eyes and Mary Jane’s too.

“So now you know.” She says to me.

I hug M.J. tighter and nod. “Yeah…God Mum, why?”

I can feel M.J.’s breath catch too.

She looks at us both and it’s as intense as I’ve ever seen her. “Honestly?”

We nod in stereo.

“People can suck, they just can. What they did pure jealousy ad spite and being cruel little assholes just because they could.”

“Mom?” I’m kind of surprised.

“It’s never easy to be a decent person especially when all these others aren’t doing it.”

“But people can be nice just because and sometimes we have to work at it…but it’s worth it girls. I promise you decency’s worth fighting for.”

I hug her and she gives me that Mom kiss on top of my head before doing the same for M.J. I notice her looking over to the kitchen island and Mark’s there with Jenn and they’re cooking or making the rest of the stuff.

Well Jenn is and Mark’s doing what he’s told along with eating choice bits to go along with the supper we’re having. It’s our usual salad that we have with every meal like this and just about every meal actually.

My folks were raised on cheap stuff and while we’re not into all the fancy stuff. There’s a huge fridge in the kitchen and they’re usually full and we have lots and lots of fruits and veggies.

Not because it’s good for us but mostly because they never had it.

But Jenn’s salad looks really good. Romaine lettuce and some baby spinach with slices of cucumbers and zucchini… (We grow em.) but she’s putting in shaved turnip and carrots but green apple and red pears too and some jarred artichokes she’s grilling on our Foreman grill or Mark is while she uses the seasoned liquid from the jar as the base for a salad dressing.

Mark looks happy and they’re talking Harry Potter stuff and she’s quizzing him in I think what sounds like chemistry stuff.

Mom looks at us. “Okay, time for a break how about you two explain the stuff on the sketches?”

Mary Jane… (Sniffle) “They’re good aren’t they? Steph’s a good artist.”

“Really?” Mom looks pleasantly surprised.

I blush and shrug. “Just messing around, I think some stuff stuck with you.” (Sniffle)

She smiles. “C’mon we’ll go and check these out in the studio.”

“I…uhm okay…”

Mom takes my hand and I take Mary Jane’s and we head into the studio and I feel like I’ve skated two ends without a break. I had no idea that being a girl and living as one and more importantly feeling as one could be this hard.

It’s like I have shoved and bottled away all this stuff and when I’m just being me there’s no big guyboden wall that’s keeping me from crying and feeling and letting all of this stuff out or even experiencing it.

Pardon the pun but I feel rubbery.

We head into Mom’s studio and she takes us over to her window couch. It’s supposed to be one of those window seats only Mom actually had Dad remove all the platform stuff and set in a love seat in there about a foot off the floor and the rest of the room is this big side parlor like room that’s got high ceilings and a fireplace in one wall and is otherwise pretty non-descript except the walls are randomly and overlappingly decorated with posters ranging from her favorite bands to stuff playing in town and playbills from the theater here in town and anything and everything else that she thinks is interesting at the time and she usually just staples it up on the walls when she gets them.

Mom’s got years of like local event ads or well history here.

The rest in her workbench and her painting easels and she has a whole bunch of her paintings piled up against the wall mostly stuff that she has done for fun or she did on a whim and some are waiting for her next sale.

She did some gallery stuff but mom paints on anything sometimes and she will do her own sales around Christmas and stuff and sells them fairly cheap for a painting because she thinks that everyone should be able to afford a painting.

She donates some and she trades other artists in town too.

We still have tons of honey from some beekeeper she did paints of and his farm. Plus a whole lot of handmade candles from one of her friends she’s traded with.

Between that and commissions she makes some pretty good money and then you add in Dad who makes really good money and we’re really well off.

But I inhale once I’m in here and between her natural herbs and pigments and the paints and all the paper on the walls plus the fireplace it has the scent here. Like a painter’s place should but also that wood smoke hint and almost this old book smell from the papers and just the hint of herbs and stuff.

It’s like a sorceress’s workshop in here and feels like it too.

I used to do my homework in here while I was little and I’d be in that whole staring fascinated at both my Mom because I felt something even then and in awe because watching her make stuff was magic to me.

She spreads out our stuff and we take some time to explain what we want to do or to try and do with each of them and Mom being a Mom she does something that hadn’t occurred for either of us and she starts to make lists of the stuff that we’re going to need for both sets of costumes.

And we’re brainstorming about all of that too and the mood is slowly lightening as we’re starting to get into it and excited by it again.

Mom looks at me. “You really want to go to the dance as Alice?”

“Uhm…yeah a dry run?”

“Okay though it might ruin the surprise with the contest.”

“But other people in town won’t know that it’s me.”

“Okay, good point I think it’s a good choice.”

“I thought so and M.J. has the red hair so we can so use that in like the mad hatter costume and we can do the crazy make up stuff and even color it some like Johnny Dep did for the movie but like a girl cosplay version of it.”

Mom’s nodding and grinning. “Actually I think that both of this stuff rocks girls.”

Aunt Elsbeth comes in quietly and sits on the other side of Mary Jane and gives her a nice long squeeze and kisses the top of her head and just sits there and holds her. We end up kind of sharing eye contact and it’s one of those things that cuts through my teenagerism and I get that there’s stuff that’s just as messy and just as hurt and just as important as me.

And that I’m important to them but for reasons that aren’t as selfish as mine are.

It’s kind of humbling in a good way I guess.

She looks at our stuff too after a while and she says that we’re doing a really good job and that she likes the designs and stuff.

It’s kind of surreal.

I know what happened with them.

I know that she knows that I know.

But it’s not like she’s faking that all that stuff didn’t happen but it’s kind of like somehow she like rolled with it and she’s actually good.

No, maybe not good but she’s okay.

God how can I be like that to just go through stuff and come out of it Okay?

Being okay would actually be pretty good.

We even share a smile before Dad shows up and watches us and is leaning on the doorframe. I like that he’s sort of like taking a minute until the others catch on that he’s there.

“Ladies, supper’s ready.”

It’s so… Mom saying and including me in ‘You girls’ and now Dad with ‘Ladies’ it is such a small thing really but it really helps.

And he actually stays there as we get up and he waits until we all go passed him before he follows. I mean it’s like just Dad and like really casual but it’s still like ladies first and it’s still pretty cool to me.

Supper’s nice too; Mark and Jenn seem to have taken over and it’s actually pretty. They took one of the table cloths that we have and put it on the table and put fall leaves on it and they still have some play in them so their not like dry but still have some play and their just kind of pretty and the eggplant-parme-zgna is on the table and someone had taken one of the many pumpkins and hollowed it out after cutting it in half and had them carved into salad bowls with the salad in one and homemade garlic bread in the other like a bread bowl and there’s even two little small decorative ones hollowed out and has tea light candles inside of them.

And the table is all set and stuff and it looks great and cute.

I can smell something baking too in the kitchen for desert.

“Mark, Jenn this looks really cool.” I can’t help it they did a good job and from the look on Mom and Dad’s face they agree and we sit down to eat and I see the twin and they’re showered and clean and even are at least acting quiet.

Jenn says. “Thanks but really a lot of the work for making supper you girls already did mark and I was just helping out.”

We actually dig in with gusto and there’s passing of plates and smiles and someone made polenta to go with things and there’s a dish of olives out on the table. We kind of really go for stuff like that.

Billy’s looking at me and then Bobby too and both finish chewing their first bites. “Hey…this, this is pretty good Steph.” Billy says and Bobby just nods kind of slow and I’m looking at them with a little bit of…huh?

What did mark say to these too. Okay they don’t look like they were comfortable saying it but they still said it.

“Uhm thanks guys but I had help.”

Bobby adds in. “Yeah thanks M.J. you too are alright cooks.”

They’re guys and fifteen year old ones that’s kind of a really good compliment getting it out of them I figure.

Mary Jane and I share a smile and keep eating and it’s Mom that finally asks what I’ve been dying to know. “So Jenn just how did Mark and you meet?”

She grins. “Dance class.”

“What!?”… Billy.

“Bwahahaha”…Bobby “Dance class!” He snorts at Mark who has this semi-pissed look on his face and that would have been an automatic big brother enforcement of the hierarchy but mark just has this look between him and Jenn and he doesn’t do anything.

She smiles.

Bobby can’t keep his mouth shut and make this. “Whissssp!” sound and Aunt Els reaches over and does that wrist flick slap-snap in back of the head making him go. “Hey.”

Then he realizes that all of us girls are looking at him and he ducks his head and hunches his shoulders. “Sorry.”

Mom just picks the thread back up. “Dance class? Mark when’d you start taking dance? They don’t offer it in school.”

Dammit I sort of just had my hopes up that sounded like fun.

He colors a bit. “I take Sonja there, she wanted to learn and stuff so it’s one of the things I do with her.”

Mom and Dad nod like they knew he was doing that. I imagine they might have had to sign stuff since mark’s only seventeen with the whole Big Brother/Big Sisters thing and all.

I look at Jenn and despite the whole Japanese thing where Asian girls are supposed to be thin or that’s what like the stereotype is. But a dancer…she so has that ballerina build going on.

I ask her. “What are you taking there?”

She smiles. “I help my Aunt teach mostly and I train with her but usually I have to go away to a workshop or something when I want to pick up some more techniques.”

Mom nods smiling. “So you’re that good already?”

She shrugs. “I’m working at it I do want to go and study dance after school.”

Mark smiles at her and he looks a little bit smitten. “She got a gold ticket last year for ‘So You Think You Can Dance.’ So yeah she’s that good.

That’s a reality dance show for like non-professionals that is like the dance equivalent of American Idol and a gold ticket is a call back to go along further that the first auditions to get onto the show. That’s actually pretty damned good.

She blushes a little. “I only got as far as the choreography and I blew it and twisted my ankle.”

Then Dad’s like. “But you might have gone all the way.”

“Maybe sir but the ticket’s the big win for me.”

Mom… “How’s that?”

“It means that I’ll have at least some serious auditions then it comes to go to school after high school.”

Mom… “And you volunteer?”

“Yes ma’am, there and at the food bank and I run sometimes.”

I look at her. “Run?”

“Sponsored stuff like Run for the Cure and the Terry Fox Run.”

Mom’s like…. “That’s a lot of stuff.”

Jenn nods. “Sometimes Ma’am but helping others out is kind of like paying rent on the life I live.”

Oh…Yes, yes that.

Aunt Els is nodding like of course.

I look at Mark and he’s definitely smitten by the looks he’s still giving her.

God I want to be like them…Jenn, Mom, Aunt Els they just seem so with it.

We finish eating after the guys have seconds. I had seconds on the salad. The whole shaved root veggies with the pear and apple was good. I had no clue that turnip was spicy as well as being sweet when shaved thinly, and nuts in a salad of any kind is almost always good.

Jenn and Mark go get dessert…Apple pie but apple pie with maple syrup for the sugar and a few spices but the kicker…Walnuts…like the ones for baking but they’re covered in the appley-mapley sauce from the pie and it’s soooo good.

I only go for a smallish piece but it’s so good with a cup of coffee. There’s a semi collective sigh and a pause after than and I take a breath and get up and start clearing the table.

M.J. gets up and help and Billy sighs and I look at him. “I’ve got this Will you and Rob split wood al afternoon.”

Both of them are staring at me and blinking. Rob/Bobby says. “Uhm…you sure?”

“Definitely, but thanks for offering to help Rob.”

No I didn’t change their names. Technically they’re William and Robert but as long I’ve ever heard Billy and Bobby. It’s a twin thing I think they go stuck with and they weren’t total butts just now so maybe I’m trying to keep the momentum up.

Show them Stephanie isn’t Steven.

Will/Billy looks at me and gives me this awkward sort of smile. I get that. I mean I was to him his little brother and stuff and I am in ‘drag’ so he likely has no idea how to act around me like this. “Thanks Stephanie, but let me and…Rob at least help clear.”

Bobby/Rob nods though he looks sort of pleased at the name thing and we all clear and Mary Jane and I start to wash the dishes then Jenn comes in with Mom and Aunt Elsbeth and some music gets turned on and we get this kind of line thing going with me washing and M.J. is rinsing and Jenn’s wiping and Mom knows where everything goes and she’s putting stuff away.

Aunt Els is helping too and that’s with chunking up the pumpkin bowls and she’s making bite sized chunks with them peel and all. Jenn’s watching. “What are you doing?”

Aunt Els is dumping sweet chili sauce on the bits and some salt and a lot of brown sugar and mixing them all together. She grins at Jenn. “You ever heard of watermelon rind pickles?”

“Sort of is that what you’re doing?”

“Yep a hot spicy version of it.”

I nod. “They’re actually pretty good after they sit up all winter and you have them as a side with like BBQ.”

Jenn looks surprised and she’s smelling it then coughs because there’s a lot of that sweet chili sauce on there. “You guys don’t waste anything do you?”

Mom’s gearing up for more stuff. “Nope and we gift a lot of it out too but we’re a pretty big family so we do this a lot.”

Aunt Elsbeth grins. “It’s good for the planet too. Canning stuff means you can reused the bottles over and over, you’re not running to the store wasting gas and it’s family time done right…I want M.J.; to learn all this stuff too so she can do it with her kids and to feed herself.”

Mom nods. “You never know when hard times can hit too.”

Dad and Mom both never came from money, they were pretty poor and when Mom was pregnant with Mark in college they both stuck it out instead of quitting. I’ve seen some pictures and yeah those were some lean to bare years.

Jenn’s like. “Can I help? Looks pretty neat to learn.”

Mom’s like. “Sure in exchange you can show up some dance steps and help the girls learn how to dance and it wouldn’t hurt me or Elsbeth to look like we’re not all dated.”

Mary Jane squeaks. “Please! We have a dance this weekend and I’ve only been to a few.”

I blush and admit. “I have no clue how to really dance like a girl.”

Mom’s looking at me a bit, her head tilted. “Stephanie?”

It’s this, all of this and I just…I just can’t hold it in anymore…

“This is me Mom, I’m a girl. I always have been…… I’m Transgendered.”

And everyone just stopped...

up
233 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

well it had to come sometime

Well now the cat's out of the bag! Great story and it seems the family may not be as antagonistic as Steff feared.

glad

revolution's picture

Glad she found the moment! Great chapter Bailey!

Allie (revolution)

She had to Allie.

Sometimes it's what you need to do to survive.
*Big Hugs*

Bailey Summers

It's like a dam bursting isn't it?

Once she started letting a little of herself out this was inevitable. After holding it in for years once you start letting go it's just a matter of time before you can't hold it in at all anymore. Fortunately I don't think this will be a big surprise to her parents.

Another great chapter Bailey. Can't wait for the next one.

Fey

Exactly that Feychick.

Steph's been so contained just like so many that when she was starting to be allowed to come out it was a flood she couldn't stop.
*Great Big Hugs*

Bailey Summers

Re: It's like a dam bursting, isn't it?

That is a perfect description of what Steph has been experiencing.

When the dam first cracks, it's like a trickle of water gets through the crack, but that trickle builds up to the point where the crack expands, eventually resulting in a break in the dam itself that allows water to flood through, which increases the pressure yet again. Soon the pressure reaches that point where the whole dam goes BOOM! and all that remains of the dam is scattered piles of rocks in the water.

Steph reached that pressure point and couldn't keep it in any longer, and then we see the admission of her being transgender.

I have to agree that I don't believe the parents will be surprised by this, I think they had some idea of what was happening already.

This is me Mom

“This is me Mom, I’m a girl. I always have been…… I’m Transgendered.”

Cue the sound of crickets....

Way to blurt it out, at least it's in the open now. Hopefully her family can now come to grips with it.

Damn you for leaving a cliffhanger lol, I will be tearing my hair out till the next installment.

Big hugs

Lizzie :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

Not the hair, you've got nice hair!

Took awhile but it's up and hopefully a good answer to the cliffhangery bits.
*Great Big Angel Hugs*
Bailey...The godfather;)

Bailey Summers

Wow!

D. Eden's picture

That really took a lot of courage, to just lay it out there in front of the whole group like that. Yes, her aunt and M.J. both already know, but to just come right out with it like that - well, let's just say I wish I had been brave enough to do that. Even with 40 more years of experience and life behind me I didn't have the courage to just throw it out there like that.

Of course, I didn't have the support either, but it still took a lot of courage.

I really can't wait for the next chapter to see what the reaction to her statement will be.

As usual Bailey, another fantastic chapter.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Steph'd say it was more a blurt out than brave.

But after have the small taste of being her real self and living and breathing for the first time. She just couldn't go back in the darkness and wearing the mask.
*Great Big Hugs*

Bailey Summers

Just wow!!!

Sometimes... its just time and you can't hold it anymore and it spills through your fingers no matter how tightly you grasp the flood of your truth. Looks like Steph's flood just swept away the dam.

Awesome chapter Bailey!

Thank you!

Abby

Battery.jpg

That's so exactly it Abby.

And no it's time to sink or swim with her family and she's soooo scared right now.
*Great Big Hugs*

Bailey Summers

Revelations

This night's an ideal time for Steph to come out - especially since she unwittingly helped MJ share her story of life before moving into the area.

We know for certain MJ, Els and Mark will be fine and accepting; we can probably be almost as confident about Jenn's reaction (once she's processed the information, being the only one present not aware of Steph's daytime alter ego). Mum and dad may ask the obligatory "are you sure?" / "how long have you known?", but there Mark could help Steph out with his recollection of the various pieces of the puzzle he's noticed throughout Steph's life which are only now becoming clear. The twins will take longer to come around to the idea, but between mum, dad and Mark; they'll know better than to do anything but put up and shut up (at least in the company of anyone other than Steph).

Then once everyone's got over that shock, maybe at some point in the future we'll learn more about the enigmatic Sonya... after all, she both introduced Mark to LGBT issues and indirectly lead to Mark meeting Jenn :)


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

It's a night for baring souls then.

Steph couldn't hold it in not with the stuff with her and with Mary Jane and everything was just piing up inside and the return to Steven looming in the morning...she really just broke.

Sonja will be making an appearance I'd say is likely.

*Great Big Hugs*

Bailey Summers

BOOM!

an Steph drops the bomb. the twins are showing early stages of growth. were the salad bowls pineapple or pumpkin? if Mark is reading HP and enjoying it try http://www.tthfanfic.org/Series-2232 its a really good AU Buffy/Charmd/HP/stargate all tied togeather really well in a main and several smaller interconnected stiries. now back to the show, were dad and the boys still there in the room?
great chapter, thanks

The salad bowls were two pumpkin halves.

I think Jenn might introduce him to Slash-fiction first to see his reactions. Nope dad and the brothers were in the other room when Steph blurted herself out.
*Hugs and Howls*

Bailey Summers

ok...

when they start cutting them up, you call them pineapple. that would have made them really small salad bowls.

Fixed.

No idea why I wrote pineapples. Must have been doing a recipe in the same space.

Bailey Summers

It’s this, all of this ...

Andrea Lena's picture

...and I just…I just can’t hold it in anymore. sigh...

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Sounds familiar..

I sprung my announcement on my children in a meeting I called to explain about my position in life - plans for no funeral - where my assets are located - oh , by the way I will live the rest of my life as a woman.

BANG - very little reaction - one said - that explains a lot - & no.2 - said whats on the page is on the stage. In other words just put my wishes in writing & they will see that they are followed.

So it was no big deal & I have never been happier.

Oh, their mother, then had the perfect excuse for our marriage breakup 12 years earlier - go figure.

Great chapter Bailey.

Ruth

May the sun always shine on your parade

Sounds like a really good reaction:)

Not perfect but it sounds a lot better than it could have been. Hopefully this will turn out closely to that for Stephanie.
*Great Big Hugs*

Bailey Summers

Whoa!

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

Danger! Cliff Hanger! Danger!

Okay, that was a pretty sweet meal experience for Steph and the terror twins have clearly undergone some sort of big brother enforced attitude correction (as well as a little sister one with the whole Rob/Will thing) but this is the moment when all bets are off... Still they seem like good people. :-)

Very keen to find out how everyone reacts!!



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

She didn't know she was going to out herself.

And she's so scared right now. Though the Will/Rob thing she's still going to try...Steven used Billy and Bobby so she wants to be different.
*Great Big Hugs*

Bailey Summers

Not Big news so to speak

I am sure that Mom is just going to say "Yes Steph we knew, just needed my darling girl to tell us so we can move along." Still very Big news as she let it out and she will be loved. Thank you Dear One
Um was it pumpkin bowl, tht they turned into pickled pumpkin chips, sounds intresting

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

Nancy is pretty cool.

But it is going to be a little more than that. I'm so glad that you're really enjoying this.
*Big Blessed Hugs*

Bailey Summers

"And everyone just stopped..."

not surprised she couldnt hold it in.

Now, we find out how things will roll ...

DogSig.png

No...no more being able to hold it in.

Steph's just not strong enough, but she is plenty scared.
*Great Big Angel Hugs*
Bailey a proud big brother.

Bailey Summers

Eeps!

The way you wrote the end made my poor tummy clench! They're such a cool family, I can't see this going totally sideways, Steph might even be totally surprised at how supportive her family is. Wow, though, what an amazing end to this chapter, thanks Bailey!

*ginormous hugs*
Jen

*Ginormous hugs* Are awesome Lynx:)

I'm so glad that this had he right fee to it. I really did want the cliffhangery effect.
*Great Big Hugs*

Bailey Summers

OMG! Did I just say that?

Yep Steph, you surely did! And well we were all wondering how long you could hold out not telling us! Ok so the cats out of the bag, now where do we go Bailey? I'm bettin' it's no surprise to all but the twins. More pwease before my popcorn gets cold. Big Hugs, Taarpa

Sigh

That was so full of emotion that tears are pricking at my eyes and my heart feels as though it is overflowing to bursting with emotion. Being more specific is hard!

:)

I wonder how they'll take it? I have a feeling that Mum will be good, but don't know how Dad and the twins will take it. Stay tuned to find out!!

xx
Amy

Thanks Amy, but bring tissues for 19.

I had to do that while writing it and hopefully the after scenes near the end will fit just as good as the chapter's dramatic start.
*Great Big Hugs*

Bailey Summers

Ahh Bailey!!

Pamreed's picture

A really great moment in Stephanie's life!! Now she can begin to live
her life as her true self!! And that is a great feeling!! Mine was 15
years ago and I still get weepy thinking about it!! I am so glad I started
reading this story!! I almost bypassed it!! Thanks Bailey for making a cold
snowy night so warm and comfy!!

HUGS,
Pamela