Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2164

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2164
by Angharad

Copyright © 2013 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

“Who was that putz?” asked Julie.

“A man from the local child protection charity.”

“So why was he here?”

“Because-a me,” suggested Danni.

“I think he was using you to get at me. There is this mythology that persists in suggesting I turn boys into girls.”

“I wish you could, Mummy,” sighed Danni. Julie raised her eyebrows and gave me an old fashioned look.

“I’m going home now.”

“What’s going to happen with Mr Creepy?”

“I don’t know, but I’ll ask Jason to take control of everything.”

“Does that mean, Swithinbank?” asked Danni.

“I think so.”

“Oh good,” she smiled and then went back to sweep up some more hair.

“How’s business?” I asked Julie.

“It’s okay, though I could do with another stylist.”

“Ask Stella, she’s done hairdressing.”

“I doubt she’d help out.”

“No but she’d be chuffed to be asked.”

“D’you think so?”

“I know so, especially as it’s something I can’t better her at.”

“Is she that in awe of you?”

“That’s a strange thing to say, Ju.”

“But it’s true.”

Was she correct? Did it matter? I suppose I’d have suggested that sometimes she was jealous of me, I have a husband and she doesn’t. I have a job and she doesn’t–but if she accepted Julie’s offer–she could have, a part time one at least.

“I have to go and speak to Jason.”

“What about Danni?”

“Oh, you mean how will she get home?”

“Yes, Mother.”

“Okay, give me a ring when she needs picking up and I’ll come and get her.”

“Okay, you gonna say bye to her?”

“I suppose I better had.” I went in and she was sweeping up hair and emptying the pan into a black rubbish bag. I gave her a hug and a peck on the cheek and said I’d come and get her when Julie rang.

I gave Phoebe a hug and kiss and then did the same with Julie before getting in the car and driving home. Then I had to explain to everyone there what had happened. On reflection, I was quite impressed by the way that Julie and Danni had handled themselves and it was only after they answered back that I did so myself. I supposed I’d made up for my diffident start and now speaking to Jason was sorting things out on a more permanent basis.

He was quite looking forward to investigating this man Curry whom he wondered about a relationship with Swithinbank, his arrival was too neat to be unconnected.

I got lunch for everyone as David was still trying to sort his car out and I’d just cleared up from that when the phone rang.

“Mum, it’s Julie, that lunatic teacher is outside haranguing Danni, who’s hiding in the shop. It’s embarrassing and I’m afraid it will lose us some customers.”

“Get a photo of him there and call the police, he’s probably causing a breach of the peace.” I put the phone down and grabbed my coat calling to Stella to keep an eye on things. A minute later I was heading out towards the salon.

By the time I got there the police were talking to a rather large man in a sweat shirt and trackie bottoms. Julie was standing inside the locked front door but she obviously opened it to let me in.

“Where’s Danni?”

“In the back with Phoebe.”

I wandered through and found the two sitting together. “It’s not fair, Phoebe, I’m not hurting anyone, am I?

“No, kiddo, you’re not.”

“So why is he out there ranting and raving at me?”

“I dunno–he’s probably got a tiny dick or something.” They both laughed until they saw me approach. Danni flung herself at me and began sobbing.

“As soon as he’s gone I’ll take you home, girl.”

“Okay,” she held on to me as if I was keeping her alive or afloat. Perhaps I was, or perhaps it was just that I’m her mum and we always feel better when mum or dad arrive, like the heavy cavalry.

One of the coppers entered the shop and took a statement from Julie with corroboration from Phoebe that Swithinbank had entered the shop and demanded to see the girlyboy who was helping out. He could only know this from Curry, so I would have his employer suspend him at the first opportunity and probably sack him after an enquiry showed how he was pursuing his own agenda not that of the charity.

I would also get Jason to complain to the headmaster about Attila the Hun and his attitude to gender different children. The copper asked to speak to Danni and was really very gentle with her asking if she knew the man and then to confirm why she thought he’d abused her. He didn’t bat an eyelid when Danni told him she was a boy. He shrugged and muttered something about it was her choice not some psycho games teacher whom they’d sent away on the threat to take him into custody if he came back and upset people again.

“If he comes back, I’ll put my hair straighteners on his dick,” said Julie which made the copper smirk but then advise against such waste of electricity.

I took Danni home and she sat anxiously in the car all the way there. I half expected social services to show, instead Stephanie was waiting to talk with Danni, Simon having phoned her just in case she was available.

I left her taking to Danni in my study while I drank the cup of tea Jacquie had made for me. They both emerged an hour later and after a drink of coffee, Stephanie went home to her young un, and Danni went up to her bedroom where I was told to give her some space.
I thought back to the first Christmas Danny and Billy had been here where we were worried they’d recognise Trish and tease her. I recalled Danny had been hit in the eye by a lout throwing snowballs with stones in them and how during Trish’s efforts to heal his eye, they’d talked about knowing each other and he pledged not to ever tell anyone her secret. This was the boy who was no ‘poofter’ but who had mascara down his face from crying. He was also the boy who’d been sexually abused by his natural dad which had obviously coloured his early years. I despised people who hurt children.

I brought Jason up to speed and he was angry about the teacher and immediately agreed the two were in league or psychic. He would speak to the school on Monday and persuade the head to suspend Swithinbank, he was also looking forward to doing a character assassination of Curry to his employers. Sometimes I wondered if Jason enjoyed his work too much.

I took Danni up a drink and she was asleep in her bed. I made a cursory check for any pills but decided she was just seeping off the trauma. Trish followed me in and asked to sit with her while she slept.

I left the two of them there with strong memories of the first time I found them alone in his room, those two or three Christmases ago.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
212 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Still lovin' it Ang.

It gives me comfort just to read Bike Ang.

Continuity during these dark hours.

Thanks,

Bev.

bev_1.jpg

EAFOB 2164

I am a writer and yet you get better with each part. Can you please tell me how you do it, your obvious writing talents aside? Maybe you will rub some of your success onto me.

I know how much lonely hours a writer must put into their craft. All your fans appreciate your hard work and dedication. Thank you so much for all your work and effort. We all appreciate your efforts and your fantastic story.
You know how Russian people love loooong stories. Well EAFOB will leave them breathless.

Thank you Angharad

A great episode topped off by Julie's threat to use her hair straighteners on the idiot's nether regions:)

ALISON

Sounds like a conspiracy

and a crazy homophobe. Glad Danni is sleeping but agree with Cathy's checking. Would think she could use the energy to check a little better. Interesting that Trish is sitting with Danni. Is she concerned about something more than supporting someone in difficult circumstances? Is she subconsciously "seeing" something?

Creepy's Charity

I wonder what sort of charity hires creeps like that "investigator?"

Not many years ago, there was a private organization in my state which had gotten itself chartered as a Society For The Protection of Children, which under some very old law of my state, entitled its members to status as Peace Officers. What this meant is they were allowed to carry guns without going through the usual vetting and licensing procedures. It wasn't the only of these organizations in the state, but this particular one was allegedly populated by members of the Mob. They did nothing of what they were purportedly chartered for, it was only a dodge so they could legally carry "heat." Needless to say, the state legislature took a new look at that law and made some changes.

I had the impression that social services in England were generally more developed than they are here in the States. It makes me wonder where and how private children's protection charities fit into the picture.

As far as the story goes, here's my wish for a possible development: It turns out the charity is some sort of fraud, and/or Mr. Creepy is a child molester and goes to jail and/or Danni sues it and wins at least her first year's worth of college tuition.

The main reason these Chaities came about

Sammi's picture

Take danni/y's case being bullied by the P.E. Master, the school part of the state run system as is the social service department, quite a while ago it was found youngsters were suffering in silence because schools, teachers and social sevices would side together.

The charities came about as an indipendant body for the youngsters to goto.

As was pointed out earlier Cathy knew there was something wierd going on as Curry should have been accompanied by the police as the charities have no powers, where as the social sevices do, also the social sevices would have come as a duo.


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

Thanks

Dahlia's picture

As I've said so many time before, thanks for the story and the time and love you put into this story. I will vow that as long as it continues, I will hang on daily for my fix of EAFOB. Then I will go into withdrawal and be severely depressed, possibly needing counseling, knowing my most favorite story of all time is gone. I truly hope this is not for a long while yet. Thank you, thank you and again, thank you!!!

Well, one thing is for certain!

Whatever memories Danni had of loving football are probably crushed and smothered out. If not, they are severely tainted. This incident has most likely thrown Danni onto the girl's side of the fence permanently.

Welcome to womanhood Danni! ^^

Sephrena

I think I know what you are saying

... but girls/women have their own code of vicious social interplay too. Just as impolite and no less vicious then the highly hierarchical male form of enforcing social compliance. But yes, competition due to physical strength is not as much a criteria among women.

Kim

A sisters love

they may have fought in the past , But when she is needed Trish will be there , Just as Danni would be for her..

Kirri