Here there be dragons.

Printer-friendly version

Mark Winchester studied the tape's second airing, noting the time lapse in the right hand corner. He then looked in on the vault the footage showed in real time through the very camera used to tape the proceedings in question. The usual priceless relics, like the crowns remaining from Pax Romana and the left overs from the ancient library were still present, but the centerpiece and the reason for the vault's existence was definitively gone. He turned to the poor technician watching with him, who was on duty last night. The good lieutenant didn't know it yet, but his days at this posting were numbered.

"Sir, The footage can't be right, can it? I mean..."

"Lieutenant Hendricks, Did you not inspect the Vault as ordered?"

"Yes sir, last night as ordered!"

"What did you find?"

"I found a cut in the vault Sir!"

"Show me."

The lieutenant looked at his immediate superior, who was continuing the vault vigil, before leading down the lead sheathed hall. Twenty five meters later they came to the immense vault door which they ignored in favor of another stretch of hall. a quick left led them to the staircase leading to the top of the structure. Once there he simply pointed.

Mark walked upon the roof without fear, knowing the traps were disarmed for the moment. He measured the hole cut cleanly through nearly two meters of lead sheathed reinforced concrete; 3 centimeters by 15.24 centimeters, cut or burned clean through, no evidence of tool marks.

"Have the repair crews been notified?"

"They are waiting in the mess sir." No doubt waiting for him to finish up first before they began their work.

"Alright, we are done here, send them up."

Mark took the staircase in double time; after all, some things you just shouldn't use cell phones for.

It took nearly an hour by chopper for Mark to reach the target location of his briefing; along the way he pieced together the rest of the scanty clues, which amounted to a satellite image and a few air defense radar print outs....and of course, a copy of the tape in digital format. He was out almost before the chopper landed, running straight to the door leading out of the pleasant garden he loved, but had to ignore in favor of speed.

"Hold it right there, major."

"Sigh, you know who I am, sergeant."

"you know the rules major, no admittance without the test."

"fine."

he quickly spat into the receptacle built into the door, while sticking his finger in the hole next to it. Feeling the telltale prick, he withdrew the finger as the door chimed recognition. Once inside the lieutenant in the small room patted him down while the rest of the team covered him. They took everything, only handing back the documents.

"So what's the all fired hurry major?"

"I need to see Redfern now. Call down and clear her."

The lieutenant's eyes widened. By the time he reached for the red phone next to him, Mark was a floor down, taking the stairs 2 at a time.

Which meant of course, he hit the room he normally met Redfern in just in time to wait. The room itself was actually a small chamber, dank and smelling of mold. It only ever had a small uncomfortable chair in it, and nothing else. the chair however, faced a small throne separated from the room by a foot thick pane of what looked to be clear glass...but was not. That was further reinforced by bars that looked to be steel, but were not.

It took almost 27 minutes for Redfern to open the door to the other room and move at stately speed to the small but ornate throne. Mark let loose a small shrug as he bowed then sank to one knee, disdaining the chair. Earlier than he expected.

"You may be seated Sir Bedivere...Your report?"

"Yes, your majesty. It's gone."

"Gone!" she rose, aghast. Never had she looked so old to him.

"Yes majesty, I brought the footage with me, you have my net-book?"

"I do indeed."

"the file marked "bullox", your majesty.

"How apropos sir Bedivere."

She watched in silence.

"No evidence of any other agency acting on it?"

"None whatsoever. All instrumentation in and outside the vault was silent, and of course, yours is the only hand that can open the vault itself."

"So under it's own power then...any evidence on where it is headed?"

"Yes majesty, both a lone satellite image and radar pickets confirm it is headed across the Atlantic at mach 4.5 almost on a direct line with New York city."

"Of course, it would have to be an American branch after all, the blood isn't pure enough here." She sighed, then straightened.

"Sir Bedivere, you are to be on a flight to America within the hour. Track it down, and the one who called to it. Take your full kit and team. All resources needed will be granted you."

"Yes, your majesty." he saluted and left, knowing a dismissal when he heard one. Besides, he needed every spare minute. What to do once he found the person in question, well he doubted even his majesty had the foggiest.

Math is hard. Stupid hard, especially when trying to teach yourself from websites like mathforum...I mean the time I have to actually work on it the teachers and students aren't on to help; makes it a real bear. It gets even worse when you have to constantly be on your guard from those who would want nothing more than to throw you out of the library. But as I constantly tell myself, I'm all about perseverance. And talking to myself.

So there I was, alert as ever, working on problem number 6 that I had set for myself. When Jess walked up.

"Reg there you are; it's been a week, I was beginning to worry! So what is it today?"

"Hi Jess, it's math today. This algebra is a pain."

She made a production of looking over my notes, using the gesture to slide a plastic wrapped sandwich, an apple, and a banana from her cart to the desk. I pretended not to notice.

"It's right up to this point; you have the X substituted properly, carried on both sides, but down her on step 4 you needed to multiply first."

"Ahh, I see." I corrected it and moved on to the next.

"So I noticed your handiwork; thank you."

"No problem Jess, least I can do for you not tossing me out of here or calling the cops. Thank you for the lunch."

"And that's the least I can do, after all you've likely saved the library hundreds of dollars in clean up."

"Surely it's not that bad, I mean lye soap and water can take care of it with enough effort."

"Just don't let the gangs catch you, they have to be mad about all the tag removal."

"don't worry about it, they won't catch me. You hired me, I'll deliver."

"I just wish you'd take more, you're definitely worth it."

"I really can't; besides, this,' I gestured to the computer. 'is plenty."

"Well, I need to get going before achy Agatha comes and writes me up. You hang in there, math is awful."

With a sigh she headed into the racks, and I resumed both my homework and vigil. Nonchalantly pocketing the food left for me. Of course nearly an hour later as I stared at the last problem I needed in order to complete my self made math course (hopefully giving me a freshman math equivalent). When I spotted the dreaded boss and head librarian, 'achy' Agatha, with a full head of steam already headed my way and at a distance of 100 feet.

With cries of "Young man, stop! I've called the authorities." ringing in my ears, I grabbed my small backpack and ran full tilt into the aisles of books. Agatha may have the front door blocked, but I knew where the basement door was, and of a certain broken window that I could squeeze out of. Being small had some advantages. And as long as Agatha didn't see me leave by it, it was reusable.

Dodging between people and shelves was easy enough, since it was the middle of the day and the place was empty, and Agatha, being somewhere close to 100 years old, just couldn't keep up. The basement, haven of old moldy books no one knew existed anymore. I navigated the maze with ease, and found the sole source of light...the window I was looking for.

And just that easily, I was out into the mid morning sunshine. Can't catch this ghost! Gahh...I put a heavy mental boot to my ego and looked around once I got to the mouth of the alley. No one specifically looking at me, plenty of people pretending I didn't exist...check. No police in sight, though the distant sirens never really seemed to stop here in beautiful downtown Detroit. It was a beautiful sunny day with a cloudless sky, rare enough it seemed. Well since I'd gotten chased out of the library I needed somewhere to go, and something to do, preferably both hidden from prying eyes.

My stomach chose to remind me that now would be a great time to eat, since I'd been 2 days without and actually had real food. I should probably come to the library more often, Jessica would likely find more gainful employment (and food at the end of it) for me. But for now....hmm. The park wasn't too far. I set my course and moved, flowing through the crowd like a fish through water...or a pariah.

"Why did you do that? I just got him back in here! He needs a haven Agatha, not another place to watch his back!"

To say Jessica Hardy was incensed was to say the sun was merely hot. To even think of confronting her superior, who scared the spit from her in the best of times, she was nearly blind with rage.

"After all the help he's given this library, this is how you repay him? He saved the taxpayer hundreds in clean up fees! He's cleaning up the walls every time they get tagged, and risking his neck for it!"

"that is exactly why he needs to be off the street! The proper authorities can help him."

"They will send him back to his parents, which he ran away from in the first place! He must have had a reason for that, he's a good kid! He doesn't even eat in the library, no matter how hungry he is! YOU eat in the library!"

"If there is a reason he ran away, child services can sort it out. The street is no place for a child, no matter the reason."

She sighed and nodded her agreement.

"I've tried to get him to go in on his own, but he won't. He's so very stubborn."

"He's a child...he may hate us for it now, but getting him proper help and off the street can only help him in the long run. I've noticed him keeping up his 'schoolwork'."

"Yes, every time hes in here, it's always for learning sites and school teaching aids."

Jessica resolved to herself to help Glen on his own terms, regardless what 'achy Agatha' thought. It wouldn't stop her from trying to get Reg to come in on his own, but she wouldn't force the child. His mistrust of adults had to have been earned somehow, and wouldn't be helped by more authority figures forcing their way in. She just hoped that he wouldn't stay away too long...each time he came he looked more thin than the last.

Jessica made a mean ham sandwich. I sat there, in my secluded spot which I was pretty sure only I knew about, watching the water from the river flow over the rocks, and eating my lunch. I carefully folded in plastic baggie and put it in my pack, and put the peel and apple core in my pocket. Biodegradable or not, it's still litter, and therefore against the law. I grabbed my metal pot and dipped it into the river, heading back to my spot...a little culvert that was usually dry. I set my sleeping bag out and set the water on my small fire placed there (to boil the water of course) and pulled out the small roll of printed paper I'd payed precious dimes for...another lesson, this one in science.

It was near 3 o clock when Marty Sands looked up and spotted that grungy kid that always hung around his favorite gym. He was here because it was after the lunch rush and before the after work rush, and it was blessedly empty. So there he was, working his favorite speed bag, when he happened to look up and there the kid was...maybe just a hair over 5 feet, dirty, dressed in clothes a size or more too large. He HATED kids, but hated this one more than most; she was so pushy! Always showing up with her hand out.

"Excuse me, sir, have you seen Devon?"

"In his office kid, same as usual."

As she walked by he wrinkled his nose a bit...at least she knew how to take a bath; more than most homeless kids ever managed.

Devon Williams was at his desk staring at the red ink in his ledger; it had a way of creeping up and owning every page. He was just barely making ends meet. Same as most other businesses lately, not enough customers who wanted to learn the fine art of boxing or defending themselves, and too much overhead keeping the lights on.

"You're frowning at that paperwork Devon, it must be a bill. Guess I'll come back later...?"

"nonsense! Won't lie to you kid, it's bad, but that is why I need you. You do janitorial work as well as any professional, and cheaper than anyone. Lord knows this place needs it, buncha sweaty balding guys in the middle of their mid life crises, stinking the place up and not so much as picking up a towel."

A snicker caused him to glance up and see the rare smile, a quick flash of teeth that was gone almost as if it had ever existed.

"Thank that's funny huh? Well one of those sweaty guys complained again that you walked right into the bathroom bold as brass and started cleaning. They were very annoyed that a girl was in the boy's room."

"Ugh, didn't you tell them I'm male?"

"Sure I did kiddo, but they think you're lying to me. I can kind of see their point. I mean I believe you, you showed me. But your voice is just a touch high, your small as hell, and your bone structure..."

"I get it, I get it! You know, most people are able to tell I'm a guy pretty easily. Only a few people get fooled."

"The dumb ones, right kiddo?"

"I didn't say that. So do you need me today? It is Wednesday, right?"

"Yeah I do, and it is. You're a bit early though, library not go well?"

Devon watched as the boy's mood suffered a sea change from only mildly bad to category 4. He ordered his working supplies before answering.

"I got chased out. Agatha wants to send me back to my parents."

"I see. Well the work is ever present, and the fridge and cot are in the back as always."

"Thank you, I'll get started."

Devon frowned again as the kid he knew as Reggie left. There had to be a way to help him without getting the pigs involved...if only he actually made money....

I started with the bathrooms, so as to avoid any more complaints; it wouldn't do to lose gainful employment. First up was the large communal locker room complete with a dozen shower stalls and adjacent bathroom that opened into it. Two stalls with toilets, two urinals, and two sinks, an ancient paper towel dispenser with a waste basket under it completed the first stop.

It took 40 minutes to clean it, but it was worth it when I could see ym face gleaming out of the floor tiles. Bot that my face was great mind you, but seeing anything reflected on the floor was a plus. I skipped out just in time to see that man who defined 'curmudgeon', Mr. Sands, run into me flabby gut first.

I rebounded of course, with a surprised squeak. He glared down at me as I picked myself up.

"What are you doing in here little girl?"

"Sir, I'm not a girl..and I was cleaning. I'll be cleaning in here now if you don't mind."

He peeked into the bathroom.

"I don't mind if Devon doesn't. Wow you do great work. I was just on my way out...see you later kid."

"Have a good day sir."

"Oh and kid, if you don't want to be mistaken for a girl, might help to cut your hair. Couldn't hurt."

"I'll keep that in mind sir."

And just like that I had the place to myself. but only perhaps an hour to clean the locker rooms...I'd have to hurry. Devon however slowed my roll.

"knew I'd find you going at it hard. No way kid, knock off and take that cot offer, after work rush will be starting soon and I'd rather not have you underfoot. K?"

I viewed his best gimlet stare, sighed, and nodded.

"You're the boss Mr. Williams."

I slipped back into Mr. Williams' office and into the combination kitchen and nap room that Mr. Williams had set up for himself, and allowed me to use. Use of the fridge and the goodies inside hadn't been mentioned, so I walked past it, even though I was getting hungry again. The cot was set back in the warmest corner of the first floor, complete with a large comforter that was just perfect. I rolled up in it and was away to my normal restless sleep.

up
336 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

It will be...

...interesting to see where this goes. Great potential. Thanks

Nice beginning!

I'm really looking forward to some of the places this looks like it could go! So, we've seen one Winchester brother, where's the other? LOL!

Hugs
Grover

interesting start

enb4448's picture

This has been an interesting start. I look forward to seeing where this story leads. More power to your pen.

looks good

like the beginning. will be looking for more.
thanks

A great start

Enjoyed this immensely. Reggie is already likable and I'm left extremely curious about him, why he ran away from home and exactly what form his mutation will take. (assuming it hasn't happened already).

From your comment i asume this is the start of a series. Finding time to write is hard enough without writing so many simultaneously haha. Each is great though. So I'll be excited about any post :D