A Darker Shade Of Red

Printer-friendly version

A Darker Shade Of Red

By Melanie E.

A note of caution: this is a much, MUCH MUCH, darker piece than I typically write. I may even take it down eventually, and I'm definitely not linking it to the rest of my stories. So, be forewarned.

To say she was surprised by the outcome would be a lie. Upset, yes. Disappointed, even. Surprised, no.

She had learned a long time ago never to be surprised by a worst case scenario.

In truth, she thought to herself, she should have known better than to come to this part of town, at this time of night, in this outfit. She did know better. And yet... and yet, when she had been invited out by her friends, with their laughing, and smiling, and happy acceptance of her, she had ignored the warning sirens in her head, and dressed up in her cutest minidress, with her best makeup and her hair piled attractively in an out of the way but still flirty style.

All it had taken was running into one person who knew her other persona to shoot everything to hell. Her friends had run the instant they had stepped outside and seen the knife, just as she had tried to. She had been his target, though, and it had taken no time at all for him to catch her, do as he pleased with her, then slice her open with that same manic grin on his face.

She had screamed, but in this part of town, that was little more than background noise.

Hollywood had it wrong, she realized as she watched the blood pooling around her, almost detached from her body. They always showed blood as this bright, vivid crimson, spraying everywhere with each stab and stroke of the blade.

In truth, it was a much darker shade of red than she had expected.

She would have giggled at the way it contrasted with the sweet yellow of her dress if she could have worked up the energy. Instead, it was all she could do to keep her hands on her stomach and pray that someone found her before...

Before...

Before.

up
87 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Balance

A "slice" of life.

Maybe not the sweetest piece of pie, but tasty.

Jill

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Wondering what brought this on?

D. Eden's picture

A very good, if (as you warned) very dark piece. I can only wonder Melanie what brought this on - what caused you to think along these dark alley ways in your mind. Most of us have them, but all the same, most of us avoid them as a matter of course. That is, until something, some happenstance, or even some small piece of food that doesn't sit quite well changes our track down one or another of those dark, cobweb strewn streets in the back corners of our minds.

I have more than my fair share of them myself, and they tend to come out to play periodically at night - although they have been known to bare themselves at the worst of times without warning as well. My therapist refers to it as PTSD - I have other names for it when it happens.

Either way, a very good piece.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

A writing exercise, more or less.

I couldn't get inspired to do anything else, so *shrug* I wrote this.

It got me in the mood a bit, anyhow, so now I'm working on other, more fun things.

Melanie E.

Sorry,

I just don't get it.

T

A Cautionary Tale

joannebarbarella's picture

And particularly relevant to people like us. Be careful out there,

Joanne

Maybe it's a timely reminder Rasufelle

Be carefull girls, with whom and where you associate with!

So sad but too common.

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Scary

Just plain Scary WOW

Dark yes but,

Leigh Veritas's picture

I like it, it speaks of the darker side of humanity. You did it in such a way I felt I wanted more after I had finished.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear.
Mark Twain.

Leigh Veritas