Three Points of View - Part 6 (Final)

Printer-friendly version

Three Points of View
A story by Bronwen Welsh
Copyright 2013

Copyright free image from freedigitalphotos.net

 

Part Six    Can you forgive me?


Tina: Thursday 18th July 10pm

What an amazing day it's been. First I had a day off work which I arranged so that I could go to see my surgeon for my six-month check-up. When I first started my transition, I used to be so embarrassed when I had to have an examination 'down there', even though the staff were totally professional and 'matter-of-fact' about it. Now I find that I can be 'matter-of-fact' too. Anyway, Mr Forrest pronounced himself very pleased with how I had healed and said that he would not need to see me again until it was time for my annual check-up.

“Do you have any questions?” he asked, and when I hesitated, he went on “Most of my patients ask if it's alright to start intimate relations with a man, and in your case, it's certainly alright, should you wish to do so.” I hope I didn't blush at his frankness.

“Another thing I'm often asked is can a man tell that you've had an operation and my answer is 'no'. Everyone is different in appearance, including genetic women. Of course, if you entered into a serious relationship the question of you being unable to have children would come up. Who knows, one day even that might be possible, but not as medical techniques stand at present.”

Mr Forrest had answered the two questions I should have asked, and obviously I wasn't the first of his patients who was too embarrassed to ask them. Anyway, I stood up and shook his hand and thanked him for all he had done for me. Then I went to the reception area and paid my bill. After that, I thought I might have some lunch, so I left the building and went to a small cafe close-by. I ordered a salad roll and a cup of coffee, and then from force of habit, I walked to the table at the very back of the room. I used to do that when I was starting my transition and was afraid someone would 'read' me, and old habits die hard.

I was half-way through eating my roll when the bell on the door tinkled as someone came in. I glanced up and froze. It was Paul, and he wasn't alone. A very pretty young woman was with him, and they selected a table near the door, after which Paul went to the counter to order. My heart started to pound. We were the only people in the cafe as it was a bit early for the lunchtime crowds, and there was no way I could leave the cafe without him seeing me, so all I could do was sit still and hope. Fortunately, the young woman took the seat with its back to the door, so Paul, when he sat down, had his back to me. I couldn't help glancing several times in their direction. Was she his girlfriend or even his wife? I felt a flash of jealousy which was stupid. I knew that I should be happy for him. No doubt this young woman was a genetic female and perfect for him. I glanced once more and that was a mistake as I caught her eye, and quickly looked away, hoping she wouldn't think anything of it. I concentrated on my roll and hoped they would not stay too long.

When I heard the sound of a chair being pushed back, I dared not look but almost sighed with relief as they must be leaving. Then I heard footsteps approaching and had no choice but to look up.

“Hello Tina,” Paul said.

“Hello Paul,” I replied.

“May I sit down?” he asked, and I dumbly pointed to a chair. I wondered what was going on. Had his companion realised who I was, and was angry and sent him over to sort things out? The last thing I wanted was to be in the middle of a 'domestic'.

“How have you been?” he asked. I was puzzled. Where was this going?

“I'm fine thank you,” I replied, and then searching for something to say I added, “Won't your ... err companion expect you back?”

“My compan...?” he laughed. “Of course, you've never met. I'll introduce you.” and turning round he beckoned to the young woman. She was watching us and got up in response and walked over. I was frozen to the spot.

“Tina, I'd like you to meet my sister June,” said Paul. His sister! Of course! Now I remembered that he had a sister. I knew I was blushing hotly at my foolishness.

“It's very nice to meet you at last Tina. Paul's spoken so much about you.”

“Nothing bad I hope?” Somehow, I made the conventional response.

“Oh no! Quite the reverse in fact,” she responded. Then turning to Paul she said, “Sorry Paul I have to get back to work. My new boss is rather a stickler for timekeeping, but you stay here. I'm sure you and Tina have a lot of catching up to do.” With that, she kissed him on the cheek and turning to me said “I hope we can catch up again, Tina.” and then she was gone.

Paul was looking at me now. “Did you think she was my girlfriend?”

“Well, I didn't know what to think and I certainly didn't want to cause you trouble,” I said.

He looked very serious now. “The fact is I don't have a girlfriend. I did once and like an idiot, I broke up with her. It was the biggest mistake of my life.”

“Why didn't you contact me?” I asked.

“Well, I thought you would tell me to get lost, and you'd have had every right to. I thought you might tell me that just now when I walked over.”

“But I didn't,” I replied

“No, that's true, you didn't,” he said quietly, and then he reached out and took my hand where it rested on the table. I realised how much I had missed the touch of his hand on mine. It felt so good. “Tina, do you believe in second chances?”

“Of course I do. Goodness knows I've made mistakes too. The biggest one was waiting so long before taking steps to become the person I really am.”

“I understand that now,” he replied quietly, and I believe that he meant it. “Look, I hate to say this, but I have to go back to work now as I've got some appointments, but I must see you again soon — please? Perhaps tomorrow or Saturday for dinner?”

“Well, I'll have to check my diary,” I said teasing him, but when he looked so crest-fallen I knew it was a mistake and immediately said, “I'm sorry Paul, I'm pulling your leg, tomorrow evening would be fine.”

He beamed and said “It's a date then. Shall I pick you up at seven o'clock?”

Yes, I was teasing him, but there was a reason why I talked about checking my diary. I don't want to seem too easy to get, even though I know that Paul is the man for me and always will be. Nevertheless, I want him to woo me as a woman should be wooed, yes wooed and won.

Well, I've already decided what to wear tomorrow evening, so now it's time to get my beauty sleep.

Paul: Saturday 20th July 8 am

What an amazing couple of days I've had. Surely fate took a hand, and I will be forever grateful that it did. It started when my sister June rang Thursday morning and asked if we could meet up for a coffee at lunchtime. She's only just moved here and wanted to ask me something about the electrics in her new apartment, me being an electrical engineer. I didn't have the heart to tell her that she really needed an electrical contractor. Anyway, I told her about a small cafe which was about midway between our respective workplaces, and we actually met at the door. June took a seat, and I ordered coffees and rolls at the counter and sat opposite her and facing the door. As we discussed her problem I sensed that she was not really concentrating on what I was saying.

“Paul,” she said, “There's a young woman sitting at a table at the back of the cafe and she keeps looking at us.”

My heart thumped as I said, “What does she look like?”

“Well she's in her early twenties I'd say, very pretty with long black curly hair and she's wearing a green dress.”

Green! Tina's favourite colour. June looked at me. “You think it's Tina don't you.” It was a statement, not a question.

“I can't turn around, that would be too obvious,” I said.

June smiled. “Allow me to show you my secret weapon,” she said, and reaching into her handbag pulled out a small powder compact. “Here's a mirror,” she said flipping it open. “Just hold it discretely to your side and you can see her for yourself.”

“Supposing she looks again?” I said.

“She won't,” said June. “I just caught her eye and now she's determinedly not looking in our direction!”

I took the compact and angled it towards the back of the cafe. One glance was enough — it was definitely Tina.

“Paul, I never did find out why you two broke up,” said June. “Everything seemed to be going so well and then suddenly you weren't going out anymore. What I do know is that you still care for her very much. If you ever want to get back together again, now is your chance. Call it 'woman’s intuition' if you like but I suspect she still has feelings for you, otherwise why did she look over at us, and I'm sure it wasn't the first time. Anyway, you're the man, it's up to you to make the first move.”

June was right of course. I've been a wimp most of my life, but if I didn't take this chance I'd regret it for the rest of my life, so I stood up and walked over to where Tina was sitting. When she heard me approach, she looked up and my heart nearly stopped, she looked so beautiful. For a moment I was afraid she'd tell me to 'get lost' but she didn't. Instead, we talked and even though I couldn't stay long because of work, we arranged a dinner date for last night, and what a night it was.

I managed to fit in a haircut and even pressured the local dry cleaners to clean my best suit in record time, so I was as spruced up as I could manage when I called for her at seven o'clock with an armful of flowers. My heart was pounding as I waited for her to open the door and I confess I was nearly struck dumb when I saw her. “Beautiful' doesn't describe it. She was wearing a green silk knee-length dress and her hair was piled high on her head, something similar to how she looked when I accompanied her to the wedding. She loved the flowers and asked me in while she put them in a vase, and then we were off to the best restaurant in town.

It was a fabulous evening. I picked a restaurant which is famous for its food and also has a small band for dancing. To be honest I could have been eating fish and chips. Just being with Tina again was all that I wanted. We talked and we danced, and while we danced we kissed, something I thought was never going to happen again.

When we sat down again, I knew it was now or never, so I took a deep breath. Tina's hand was on the table, so I reached out to hold it as I looked into her lovely eyes.

“Tina, I have to be straight with you. I don't want to just be your friend. I love you. I knew that when I thought it was too late, and you've been on my mind ever since we broke up. I want to marry you, I truly do.”

“Paul, you realise that while we can now get married, I can't have children?” she said.

“Yes I do, but I can live with that,” was my response. “Perhaps we can even adopt a child if that is what you would like?”

She smiled at that. I think she realised that I was serious.

“Well, we'll see,” was her response.

When I dropped her off at her apartment we kissed again — a full-on kiss that held so much promise of things to come. She didn't invite me in, but that was alright. I'm determined not to do anything to risk my second chance. Tina can call the shots and I'll go along with anything she decides.

Tina: Saturday 20th July 8am

What a wonderful evening with Paul I had last night. He looked so handsome when he called for me and bought me a beautiful bouquet of flowers too. I spent so many hours getting ready, but the look on his face made it well worthwhile. Somehow, I wasn't surprised when we went to a restaurant with a small dance floor and a trio. The food was delicious and of course, we danced and even kissed while we danced. The most important thing though was Paul told me that he loves me and wants to marry me. He didn't exactly ask me, and I was glad of that as it's still too soon, but the time will come when he does ask me and I will say 'yes', I know that.

We've arranged to have dinner again next Saturday, and who knows, I might be ready to take the next step.

Paul Monday 22nd July 8 pm

I've taken a bit of a chance today. I just rang Tina and asked if instead of having dinner in town, she might like to go away for the weekend with me to a lovely place in the country that one of my workmates told me about. When she sounded a little reluctant, I hurriedly said “We'll have separate rooms of course”, and she laughed at that and said, “Well alright, I'd love to go.”

I feel as excited as a schoolboy on his first date. This woman does something to me that no-one has ever done before.

Tina Monday 22nd July 9pm

Paul is such a sweet guy. He just phoned and asked if I'd like to go away with him for the weekend. I was taken by surprise, and I guess I must have waited a fraction too long before accepting as he hurriedly said that we'd have separate rooms! Well, I'll have to think about that. Is it still too soon? Maybe not.

Paul Sunday 28th July 7am

I can hardly believe it. Yesterday we drove up here to the resort. I was fully prepared to take two rooms, but they also had a vacant one-bedroom chalet and Tina said: “Why don't we take that instead?” Of course, I was more than happy to do so.

We both felt a little shy, and getting ready for dinner in the restaurant, I went for a walk while Tina dressed, and afterwards she sat in the small lounge room while I got ready, which of course took a lot less time. I'm not complaining of course, Tina looked so amazing in her evening gown, I was literally speechless for a moment before I managed to find some heartfelt compliments. She blushed of course, but I could tell that she was really pleased with my reaction.

The dinner was superb, and I was tempted to ask her to marry me while we were dining, but somehow it didn't seem quite the right moment, so I decided to wait just a bit longer. After all I didn't even have a ring to offer her.

Afterwards we returned to the chalet. I think a couple of glasses of wine each had broken the ice because we both knew what was going to happen, and we both wanted it. It was Tina's first time of course, and it felt like my first time too, realising what I had been missing before. What happened next will remain in my heart forever.

When Tina said to me “I knew it would be good with you, but I never imagined just how good it would be”, my heart swelled to almost bursting. It was then that I asked her to marry me. It slipped out almost before I realised what I was saying but thank goodness she said 'yes'.

Tina looks so beautiful now as she sleeps, her head lying on the pillow next to mine. I could lie here all day, just looking at her, but there's just been a knock on the door to announce that our breakfast has arrived. We're back at work tomorrow and in the next few days. we are going to a jeweller to find the perfect engagement ring. I want the whole world to know that I have found the woman of my dreams.

Jenny Saturday 3rd August 11pm

It was lovely to have Tina and Paul come to dinner this evening. Tina was so excited as she showed off the magnificent diamond engagement ring that she and Paul had chosen during the week. Paul was bursting with pride as he gazed at her adoringly. It was great to see them so much in love.

Later in the evening when I managed a few minutes alone with Tina, she told me how she and Paul had spent last weekend together.

“And how was it?” I asked.

Blushing, she replied “It was truly wonderful, Jenny. I thought it would be good, but I was blown away with just how good it was.”

She looked serious for a moment and went on “I hope you won't think me cold and calculating, but I knew Paul was going to ask me to marry him, and I had to be completely sure that he accepted me totally as a woman. If I'd had the slightest doubt I would have had to walked away. It would have broken my heart to do that, but it wouldn't have been fair to either of us. Thank goodness though all my questions were answered, and I was able to say 'yes' without any reservations.

I hugged Tina and said “No, I don't think that was 'cold and calculating' at all. After what happened previously, I think it just shows how you have matured as a woman. It's one of the most important decisions you'll ever make in your life. Believe me, I felt the same way when Eddie and I got together.”

When we returned to the lounge room, Tina sat beside Paul and held his hand as they told us about their plans to get married in a few months' time. It seems I am to be 'Matron of Honour' again, and Eddie was asked to be Best Man, and was very happy to accept.

Thank goodness my prayers were answered, and things have turned out so well.

“All's well that ends well” as the poet says.


THE END

I would like to acknowledge that the inspiration for this story came from Louise Anne's story 'Perspectives' where she tells a story from the points of view of nine different characters. I have not been so adventurous and limited my story to three characters only!

Photo credit: freedigitalphotos.net

up
166 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Three Points of View

A Great Story, Thanks Bronwen!

Richard

All's Well

Bronwen,
Thank you for this lovely story, the ending is what we all hoped would happened.
And they lived happily ever after!!!!!!

Love and hugs, Carla:):)

ROO

Lovely!

littlerocksilver's picture

Just what I needed after a long day on the road. A sequel is not needed. Everyone knows they lived happi;y ever after.

Portia

A Five-Hanky Finish

joannebarbarella's picture

But happy hankies. I am a sucker for a romantic ending. Thankyou,

Joanne

Awww - sigh

I'm a sucker for a good romance, and this one is so nice. I can write now I drowned several tissues.I love the outcome. Thanks Bronwen
Joanna

Thank you.

A Big Thank You to everyone who makes a comment - they are so much appreciated. Bronwen

A perfect ending

This was the perfect ending to this story! It was obvious, even when Paul and Tina had broken up, that he still cared deeply for her. He was just too afraid to let his true feelings out. To quote Renee Zellwegger in Jerry Maguire, "You had me at 'Hello'!"

Jenny

Beautiful story

Jamie Lee's picture

This is another story where the title of the story caught my eye. And I'm very glad it did, because this is a marvelous story.

Not only did it have a happy ending but showed how true can over come the most difficult situation(s).

Others have feelings too.

Very romantic

I really love stories like this one.

This reminds me of Tom when he purchased a ring for me. He was and still is so patient and loving as well as extremely patient with me. When he purchased a ring for me, the engagement ring that is, he went straight to his knees and promised to be the best man he could possibly be for me.

I will never forget that day! :}

Vivien

YESSS!!!!!

Great way to end a story that all your readers were hoping would end this way.
Fist pump, and a tip of the hat.

Cefin