Leigh Anne - Chapter 11

Printer-friendly version

Leigh Anne - Chapter 11
by Babara Lynn Terry

Part 1 - Discussing practice.

On the ride home, Leigh was thinking about the upcoming match against the Gaynor High Lady Cougars, the practice they did on thcollege clay courts and being asked to be mom's bridesmaid and giving the bride away. I mean, Leigh Anne is only 14 years old. That is a lot on one's plate, if you are a 14 year old. As they pulled up to their house, Leigh didn't hear her mother.

".... Leigh?"

"Huh? Oh! I'm sorry, mom, I was thinking about all of the things that happened to me today. First there was school, then we practiced at Birn College because they have clay courts, then I am asked to give the bride away when you renew your wedding vows, and being bridesmaid. That is a lot to think about. So, what were you saying, mom?"

"Nothing important. All I said was, we're home, Leigh. When you didn't say anything, I looked at you and you seemed like you were in a trance. I asked you if you could hear me, Leigh, and you finally responded.

"Well, I'm sure you will do just fine, dear. You are a good tennis player."

"Yes, mom, and that's what worries me. The squad leans on me to carry them through. But, What would happen, say, that I was laid up at a very important tournament game? I'm just another player on the squad. Mom, would it be okay with you, if I decided to be Leigh Anne for always?"

"Dear, you just be who you are. Son or daughter makes no difference as long as you are all right."

"I agree with your mother, punkin. You are our child, and we love you very much. We will stand with you, so you can be whomever youwant to be."

"Thank you, mom, daddy. That makes me feel a lot better. Will you be there when we play Gaynor? The next game is at Gaynor High and we play on their clay courts. That is why we are practicing at Birn College all this week."

"We will be there, punkin. Won't we, mother?"

"Yes, we definitely will be there. Also, don't nervous because we are there, you just play like Leigh Anne always has."

"Thanks, mom.

Daddy, I won't be nervous, because I want to help the squad go to state. Maybe we can even go to nationals, too, and that is in Jacksonville, Florida, this year."

"We will see, punkin. Let's take one tournament at a time. Right now, you just focus on beating Gaynor high's squad."

"Their called the Lady Cougars, daddy. Which do you think will be more aggressive, daddy, the cougar or the tiger?" Leigh Anne giggled.

"I think the tiger will beat the cougar."

"Thanks, daddy."

Leigh had a big load taken off of her shoulders with her dad's support. One can't help but wonder about the upcoming game. This game will send the Lady Tigers to state. Then they can concentrate on going to the national tournament in Jacksonville, Florida, where they will play many different tennis squads from all over the country. Some of those squads might even be better than the Lady Tigers. We will just have to wait and see. It was time to see what was on the tv.

Usually, that is what the family did after dinner. Since they had dinner out, nobody was hungry. Leigh looked through the channel menu and found Bambi which is shown on cable at least once a year. Bambi was one of Leigh's favorite animated movies. She told her mother and she was told that would be fine. The movie came on in an hour, so her mother said she would pop some popcorn, so they would have something to snack on during the movie. Of course, with Leigh eating like a bird, she may only have a few kernels and leave the rest. When Leigh watched a movie, she was intent on the plot and only absent-mindedly took a few kernels of popcorn. Leigh did this even if she has seen the movie countless times.

When the popcorn was popped, and brought in to the living room, Leigh and her mother sat down to watch Bambi. They laughed at the antics, cried when the hunters shot Bambi's dad, and Thumper, OMG, he was just so darling. With the movie over, Leigh said her good nights and hugged and kissed her mother on the cheek and went to take a quick shower and get in to bed.

The next morning, Leigh was up, bathed, and in the kitchen. She made breakfast for her and her parents.

"Leigh, what smells so delicious?"

"Sit down, mom, daddy, and welcome to Leigh's family cuisine." Her father laughed, while the two women giggled.

"I made waffles, sausages, toast, and coffee. Of course, I will have my usual milk and juice, and mom, daddy, there is a vitamin pill next to your cups. Please take them, because they will give you energy through the day."

"How come I never get a vitamin pill in the morning when you cooked breakfast?"

"Because, dear, you gulp a cup of coffee, swallow a whole slice of toast, then you zoom out of the door. That is why."

"Oh! Yeah, I forgot."

"Are you both going to be at practice tonight at Birn University?"

"Yes, dear, we will be there," her mother answered.

With the morning just starting, Leigh was ready to meet her teachers in study hall, and that was before going to the university. After breakfast, Leigh kissed her parents on each of their cheeks and gave them hugs. After saying I love you both, she left to go to school. Patty and Darlene were just coming to meet her.

"Hey Darlene, hi Patty, well today we get to practice our spins. Do you think we have the lobs and aces covered?"

"I don't know, Leigh, I am hoping we do. But, you are right, we need to practice our spins. I wonder if we could practice all three at the same time."

"That is a thought, Dar," Patty interjected.

"Yes, I think we could fit the spins in with the lobs and aces. Gaynor will not be expecting us to be able to play on their clay courts. But, we have a big surprise for them."

"Let's see what we can do at the college. I think if we show them a few aces and a few lobs, we will catch Gaynor off guard. When that happens, we will have them right where we want them."

Part 2 - Pactice at Birn University.

As they neared the school, they saw Mrs. Madison waiting for them.

"Ladies, we have been given the entire day to practice at the university. Gloria has arranged for us to eat lunch in the university's cafeteria. I already have your homework assignments, all you need are the books you have homework for. The bus should be here any moment, so, here are your assignments, so, go and get the books you will need."

Of all of Leigh's teachers, only three had homework for Leigh. The rest of the work, was just reading. With her books in tow, Leigh went out to the waiting bus. After she was seated, the bus left for Birn University in the next county. This was a twenty minute trip, so the girls decided to sing. The first song was one of Leigh's favorites by Trisha Yearwood; Walkaway Joe. The next song was a more traditional bus ride song that you would sing going to camp; John Jacob Jinglehiemer Schmidt. After this song, they were at the university.

Gloria Edmonton, the university's gymnastics instructor and the girls basketball coach, was waiting for them. She greeted each of the girls as they got off of the bus.

"Ms. Edmonton...", Leigh was interrupted by Gloria.

"Please, just call me Gloria."

"Gloria," Leigh continued. "We were talking, and we think we should practice three different plays. I think we should still practice our lobs and aces, but add spins, too."

"That sounds like a plan then. While you are playing, you can practice all three in the same game. So, who is going be the first two to
play?"

"Leigh," Mrs. Madison said, assigning the first two players. "Mary, you're up first. Now, remember what I said about clay courts. Also, do not lob the ball or try for an ace, unless you are sure you can make the point. Alright, start your game. Leigh for this first game, I want you facing the sun. Gaynor's courts face east and west, so, you are going to have to get used to playing with the sun in your eyes. You may wear a visor or a cap to shield your eyes. Leigh, you serve first."

Leigh tossed the ball up, and then hit it with authority. It was an ace and the score started out 15-love. Leigh's next serve was returned, and the volley lasted for eight minutes, giving Mary the next point. I was now 15-15. The next serve was called out, and Leigh served again. Mary returned the second serve, and hit the ball past Leigh. The score was now 15-30. Leigh's net serve ended in a volley lasting nine minutes, with Leigh hitting the ball out. The score was now 15-40 in Mary's favor.

"Okay, Mary, this is your double match point. If you get this point, you not only win the game, but the match, too. Leigh go ahead and serve."

Leigh served to try and stay in the game, but the first serve was called as a fault. Leigh's second serve was returned and the volley lasted for eleven minutes, when the ball hit Leigh's side of the net, making Mary the winner.

"Leigh?" Mrs. Madison inquired. "Are you feeling all right? You seemed a little off your game."

"I'm okay, Mrs. Madison. I guess the upcoming game against Gaynor has me a little on edge. I will be fine once this match is over."

"Leigh, don't let them bully you in to doing something you might do to lose. We haven't even played yet, and already they have their claws dug in to you. Just relax, and take this one day at a time."

"Yes, Mrs. Madison. Thank you."

"Alright, I think you can talk among yourselves for a bit, and get a little strategy going. You are going to have to put what you practice here into real playing when we go against Gaynor. So, ladies, let's play a little tennis. Dorothy and Patty, you're up next. I will flip a coin to see who faces the sun. Patty, you call it, heads or tails."

"Tails."

Mrs. Madison flipped a quarter, and it landed on heads.

"Dot, it is your serve first. Patty, you face the sun."

The girls took their respective sides of the court. Dorothy served her first serve and it was an ace making the score 15-Love. The next serve was returned, but, it was Dorothy's point.

"30-Love," Mrs. Madison called. "Patty, a little more aggression when returning a serve. Remember, Gaynor is going to snicker at every error we make. Be alert, and make sure you are positioned on the court to where you can get to the ball, no matter where it lands."

Dorothy served again, and this time, Patty returned the serve. The volley lasted about ten minutes, when Dorothy hit the ball out. It was now 15-15. The score ended up, after 20 minutes of play, at 30-30. Dot's next serve was returned with the volley lasting almost fifteen minutes. Patty hit the ball out making the score 40-30. The next serve ended up as a double fault, tying up the score.

"Deuce," called Mrs. Madison.

Dot's next serve was an ace, giving Dot the advantage.

"Advantage, Dorothy," Mrs. Madison called, acting as the chair referee.

Dot served again, this time Patty was ready and returned Dot's serve. The volley lasted quite a long time, about twenty minutes. Dorothy hit the ball on her side of the net.

"Deuce 2," Mrs. Madison called.

Dorothy served again, and Patty ended up with the point, after completing a successful spin.

"Advantage, Patricia."

Dot's next serve was called out. Serving again, Dot hit her side of the net making Patty the winner.

"Ladies, Gloria just told me that it is lunch time, and the college has reserved our seats for us. Let's get some nutrition in us, and then we can resume playing."

They went inside the Student Council building, and right to the cafeteria. There was a roped off area and Gloria said that was where the Lady Tigers would be sitting. College cafeterias are set up the same way as high school cafeterias, so the girls knew how to get what they wanted to eat. The only difference here was, the college had a wider selection to choose from. As they went through the line, each girl took what she wanted, and then went to sit down. The lady at the cash register only added up what each girl took, so she could give the receipt to the office.After each girl was seated, Mrs. Madison told the girls that the lineup would resume after lunch was over.

"Ladies, you did good out there, this morning. This afternoon, we will let the others practice, too. Enjoy your lunch."

"Mrs. Madison," Leigh said, mockingly. "The only thing I will miss is the wide selection of food here." The girls all giggled.

"I'll bet," Mrs. Madison replied.

With their lunch finished, Mrs. Madison, Gloria and the girls all went out to the tennis courts. Cheryl Masters and Dorothy Winston will play against each other. Cheryl, you will be facing west and will serve first. Ladies, take the court.Cheryl and Dot took their respective sides. Cheryl Threw the ball up for her first serve. I was returned for an eight minute volley, when the ball was called out on Cheryl's side, giving her the first point.

"15 Love," Mrs. Madison called. "That was a good volley, but watch how hard you hit the ball. You don't want to be hitting the ball so hard as to give them the point. Resume play."

Cheryl served the next ball for a fault, and served her second ball which was returned for a twelve minute volley, when Cheryl hit her

side of the net.

"15 all. That was a good volley, ladies, please continue."

The next serve was for an ace, making the score 30-15.

Cheryl's next serve was returned and Cheryl tried to spin it over the net. Dorothy returned the ball, and the volley lasted for about fifteen minutes. Each girl practiced her spins to see just how good at spinning the ball she was. The volley ended with Dorothy hitting the ball at Cheryl's feet. Cheryl couldn't return it and the score was now 30 all.Cheryl served the ball and tried to spin it, but Dorothy returned it. The volleys between these girls lasted for several minutes. Mrs. Madison and Gloria Edmonton just watched as the two girls played. The next serve lasted for eleven minutes, before Dorothy hit her side of the net. It was now 40-30. Either the next serve would make Cheryl Masters the winner, or would end up in deuce. That is 40-40 for the uninitiated. Cheryl served the ball for an ace, and Cheryl won the game. Bth girls shook hands at the net, and then went by the rest of the squad.

"Ladies, you all did wonderful. Now we need Donna Sanchez and Patricia Langston are next."

Patty and Donna played like they had ants in their pants. They were all over their sides of the court. Donna was serving, and the volleys between these two girls lasted for several minutes for each serve. Patty returned the ball in such a way that it just tipped the top of the net, giving her the first point. It was Love-15. Donna served again, and this time the score was 15 all, because Patty hit her side of the net. The next serve was for eighteen minutes, making the score 30-15. Then Donna hit her next serve for an ace, making the score 40-15 and giving Donna a double match point, if she won this next point. Donna's next serve was for another ace, just inside the line on Patty's side of the net.

"The game goes to Donna Sanchez. You both played beautifully. This is what it is going to take, if we plan on winning against the Gaynor Lady Cougars. Alright, next we have Susan Winters and Mary Withers. Mary, you serve first taking the west side of the court. Remember, Gaynor's courts face east and west like these do."

Mary served the ball and the volley lasted several minutes before Sue hit it past Mary, giving Mary the first 15.

"15 - Love," Mrs. Madison called

Mary's next serve was an ace, making the score 30 - Love. When Mary served again, she put a little spin on the ball, but Susan returned it like a professional tennis player. This volley lasted several minutes, and Mary hit the ball out, making the score 30 - 15. Mrs. Madison couldn't help but be proud of this team, because they played like they were professioanl tennis players. As the game wore on, Mrs. Madison talked to Gloria about the upcoming match against the Gaynor High School Lady Cougars. Mrs. Madison trold Gloria that her girls were ready to take on the Lady Cougars. Gloria agreed.

The score was now 30 - 30 as Mary hit the ball out again. On the next serve, Mary spun the ball, giving a kind of curve as it went over the net. The ball hit just on the other side of the net, making it almost impossible for the opponent to return it. The score was now 40 -

30. This next point would make Mary the winner or end up in deuce. Mary served the ball, but Susan returned it and the volley lasted for about ten minutes before Susan hit it out of bounds, making Mary the winner.

"Ladies, you both did very well. Now I want to see Susan serving. This will be the last game, as we need to get back to the school. Susan you may serve when you are ready."

Susan served the ball with a slight spin making the ball hit Mary's side with a slight bounce backwards in to the net.

"15 - Love," Mrs. Madison called out.

Susan served another spin, but this time Mary was prepared for it. The volley lasted for several minutes, about fifteen minutes to be exact, when Mary hit the ball at Susan's feet.

"15 all," Mrs Madison said. "Ladies, you are doing well. This is the kind of strategy we need to defeat Gaynor. Please continue, Susan."

Susan served her next ball for an ace, giving her a scor of 30 - 15. The next serve was returned for an eleven minute volley. The score was now 40 - 15. All Susan needed to do now, was serve another ace and she would win the game. But her next serve was returned for a fifteen minuten volley, when Mary hit the ball out. The score was now 40 - 30. Susan still had a chance, though, with this next serve. Susan threw up the ball and hit it for an ace. Susan won the game.

"Ladies, you all did very well today. Tomorrow, we will practice more spins. You all seem to have the spins down, but we need more practice on them. Gloria, thank you for another fun filled day. I need to get them back to Hampton so their parents can pick them up. We will see you again, tomorrow."

"Take care, girls, and see you all again tomorrow." Gloria gave each of the girls hugs as they got on the bus.

With each girl seated, the bus driver started the bus, pulled out of the parking spot, and drove the girls back to Hampton Senior High School. On the ride back, the girls were talking about the strategy they used today and how they could make it better tomorrow. Mrs. Madison told the girls that all they needed to do, was watch the ball. She said s long as they kept wathing the ball and anticipating where their opponent was going to hit it, they could return it. She said that she would go over this again tomorrow on the way to Birn College.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Next chapter: Last day of practice and the Hampton Lady Tigers versus the Gaynor Lady Cougars match.

up
175 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Another Great chapter

Renee_Heart2's picture

Well Barbra you did another GREAT chapter of this exciting & fun story. I feel like with everything going on Leigh is a bit distracted mom renewing her vows & being the bridesmaid & to give the bride away then the up coming game & the girls depending on her to pull them through she has a lot of weight on her shoulders plus facing the sun didn't help either.

I think Leigh will do good though against the lady Cougars & help pull them through. Also maybe she was trying to prove a point to the others too not to depend on one player depend on the others too in order to get through a match.

Love Samantha Renee Heart

The story needs to be

Brooke Erickson's picture

The story needs to be reformatted. It displays (In firefox) as being much wider than my screen (wgich is 1600x1200). In IE it displays in microscopic text and one paragraph displays as two lines, the second of which extends to the edge of the screen.

"Alright, I think you can talk among yourselves for a bit, and get a little strategy going. You are going to have to put what you practice
here into real playing when we go against Gaynor. So, ladies, let's play a little tennis. Dorothy and Patty, you're up next. I will flip a coin to see who faces the sun. Patty, you call it, heads or tails."

The part that starts "Alright" and ends "practice" is the first line. The part that starts "here into" and ends "heads or tails." is the second line.

Rather obviously you uploaded in some manner that retains the original line lengths. This is a bad thing. In firefox, I have to scroll left & right for every single line. Not worth it. And in IE the text is eyestrainingly small. Also not worth it.

Brooke brooke at shadowgard dot com
http://brooke.shadowgard.com/
Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world
"Lola", the Kinks

reformatting the story

Renee_Heart2's picture

Try Google chrome it may be the right medium your looking for. I read this story on my Android & it was OK for me (just saying) So my sugestion try chrome THIS is a good story then again ALL of Barbara's stories I have read so far are good.

Love Samantha Renee Heart

Can't run Chrome on this

Brooke Erickson's picture

Can't run Chrome on this system.

Brooke brooke at shadowgard dot com
http://brooke.shadowgard.com/
Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world
"Lola", the Kinks

Familiarity

Jamie Lee's picture

The more they practice on the college clay courts the more they become familiar with that type surface.

They also become experienced at being able to predict how the ball will react when it's hit to them or they return it.

By the time the meet rolls around, the will have enough experience to give Granollers a run for their money.

Others have feelings too.