Horizons of the Heart - 4

Printer-friendly version

Horizons of the Heart

By Melange
Copyright © 2013 Melange
All Rights Reserved.

Synopsis

While the rest of the group remain behind at the Green Raven inn hoping to help Oleander, Stann and Jaden head out into the city on errands. Jaden feels he has to do something about his increasingly untenable situation, and does the first thing that comes to mind: he lies.

Flashback: Rhyce wasn't always an adventurer



Chapter 4: Other Faces

Tomorrow will come, no matter what Yesterday did
Worrying about one, and regretting the other
Only hurts Today

RHYCE

Unlike people, arrows didn’t lie. They were meant to fly, and they were meant to strike. The cold air made his breath steam and face tingle, but his hands didn’t waver. His arrows didn’t lie.

The rest of the band broke cover and approached the wagon. One of the horses tried to pull away, but the reins were trapped around the yoke. The other horse was still. It had been one of the victims of the first volley.

Rhyce stepped around the fallen tree that blocked the road. Three men sprawled next to it, their sleeves pushed up. He recovered his arrows. Their message had already been delivered.

“This is a big haul, boys! This family was comin’ back from the festival by the looks of it. Sold all them furs or potatoes, or whatever these here people do.” Their leader pushed a body down from the wagon’s bench with his foot. The fine gown twisted around the dead woman as she fell to the ground. The men cheered. The spoils would see them with beer and wenches through the winter for sure. There were fewer travellers during the snows anyway. Little reason for the band to hide and wait unless they knew someone wealthy was going to pass through.

Rhyce knelt by one of the children. None had been spared. That was the way of Enold’s band. He closed the boy’s eyes. They were brown, too. Just like his own, and just like the ones he had buried some summers ago.

“Did ya find anythin’ innerestin’, Deadeye?” Enold asked, from atop the wagon. When he smiled, the scar on his cheek pulled sideways.

“Yes. Kid had a new knife.” Rhyce noticed it sheathed by the boy’s belt.

“Prob’ly a gift from his pa. Add it to the haul.”

They called him Deadeye. Only partly because of his skill with the bow. He had buried all human feelings when he dug those two graves. Now he was just aiming and releasing, waiting for the inevitable.

Unlike people, arrows didn’t change.

~ * ~

The lights suddenly went out. She couldn't see anything. Until her night vision returned she was an easy target. Instinctively, she dropped into a crouch, and backed up to where the wall had been.

"Ollie, quickly. We need to go!" Jay called out.

"I can't see anything!"

"Serves you right to tease me about my elven eyes. Come on, I'll get us out of here." She felt a hand close around hers. His hand, with those thin gloves. Jay pulled at her, and she followed through the darkness. Suddenly, noise returned from the distance, coming closer toward them at a fast pace.

"Damn, the cultists are catching up to us. Let's go up the stairs. You first. It's just straight up, remember? I'll cover you." Jay pushed at her, and she started quickly up the stairs. She still couldn't see anything, but they had been down this way just a few minutes ago, and she had a very good memory for navigating the city landscape.

She heard him unsheathe his sword, and she quickened her pace.

"They can only come at us one at a time in these narrow stairs. I'll hold them off, just get back to the others!"

Oleander scrambled up the last bit. Why was it still so dark? Hadn't there been windows in the library?

Behind her, she heard Jay cry out in pain.

"Jay! Jay? Are you alright?" There was no one to answer her. She held a hand to her mouth. Jay. She needed to get the others. They needed to come get Jay.

The darkness wasn't as black anymore. Were her eyes slowly adjusting? She ran as quickly as she dared. The hallways seemed longer than before, a trick played by the darkness no doubt. Finally she got back to the place where the rest of the group were going to set up their distraction ambush on the cultists; she couldn't see anyone waiting for her. Where had they gone? Didn't they know she needed them? That Jay needed them?

Her foot stopped against something on the floor. It was metal. Armour. A long braid, matted with blood fell from a pale face.

"No... No, Mirena!"

"Don't just stand there, Red! Run!" By that window she had picked open stood Rhyce, his bow in his hand. He had hardly any arrows left. "The others have already gone ahead. We need to leave now!"

Oleander ran up to him, and grabbed the rope that dangled down to the street. Stann and Kellen stood at the bottom of the alley and urged her on.

"Move, Red!" Rhyce pushed her back against the wall, as crossbow bolts struck the windowframe. One ripped across his hand.

Down the hallway came several of the cloaked men, weapons raised. They didn't make any sound, but the malevolence coming out of them screamed louder than any voice.

"You need to go now! Climb down!"

She looked out of the window. The cousins were fighting other cultists, and they looked to be losing. Kellen was already down on one knee, bleeding from a wound on his head. Stann was swinging his sword in a wide arc to try to keep them back.

"It's no good. They're down there too."

Rhyce fired his last few arrows into the approaching Sons in the hallway. They fell silently to the ground, only to be stepped upon by their fellows.

"Then we go up. Climb back up to the roof." They were both skilled climbers. Oleander could scale any house facade.

She jumped up on the window frame, and crabbed one of the many handholds on the outside. Expertly, she was up to the top in seconds, right where she had been just a little while ago when Jay had held her. Jay.

She leaned out to help Rhyce up. He had already stepped off the window frame and was reaching up to the first handholds. She stretched her arm down to grab his hand. They were going to get away. They were going to come back with as many people as they could cajole, bribe or threaten into joining them. They would save their friends. Rhyce's fingers touched hers, and their eyes met. His suddenly looked surprised, and before she could even open her mouth to cry out he was dragged back into the window, and was gone.

They were all gone. She was alone. So she ran.

~ * ~

The sound of the door creaking open woke Jaden from his fitful sleep. The sky outside had already turned a light rose. Dawn had caught up with them.

“Didn’t mean to wake you, my elven friend.” Kellen sounded absolutely exhausted.

“I’m not an elf, Kel.”

“Just need an hour or two, a little rest, before we continue.” The Northman sat down heavily, not really hearing Jaden’s usual denial, and unlaced his boots. Even rune seekers ran out of strength eventually.

“Is she going to be alright?” Jaden rolled over to face the big, blonde man. Kellen’s normally neat goatee beard was disappearing in the stubble.

“We’ve done what we could for now. We’ll try again in a little-“ The rest was muffled as Kellen fell into his pillow. Rune seekers didn’t expend nearly as much of their own power when casting spells as the rest of the magical societies, being much more dependent on their material foci, but they were still mortal beings at the end of the day. Everyone had their limit.

Jaden watched the Northman for a little while, being lost in his own thoughts about what happened yesterday. Untangling himself from his own bed he got up and pulled the rumpled blanket up over the already heavily asleep man. Jaden tucked his friend in, without realising he had a slight smile on his face

He didn’t feel like trying to go back to sleep himself, so he dressed quickly to see if the others had heard anything more. One pair of socks wasn’t enough, though. His boots kept almost slipping off his feet, and he was sure that if there would be any running, he would trip himself up. A thick pair of winter socks made them fit a little better, but would probably get uncomfortably warm.

Jaden resigned himself to sweaty feet, and stepped out in the hallway. Rhyce was leaning against the wall with his arms crossed. The fat cat that lived in the inn had curled up next to his feet, having the good sense to catch a few more hours of rest.

“Heard anything?” Jaden didn’t bother to elaborate.

“Mirena’s keeping an eye on Red for now.”

“She must be as tired as Kel was. He fell asleep mid-sentence.” Jaden glanced at his door. He could hear the snoring from here.

“Whatever they’re doing seems to be working, though. She looked less worried than before.”
They remained silent for a while. Faint noises from a city waking up reached them. Jaden paced a little. His boots were a little too warm already.

“I feel responsible for what happened, Rhyce. I actually had only one job yesterday. To tell her if it was safe. This was all my fault.” He had forgotten to put on his gloves again. He must still be tired to miss something that important. Jaden kept his hands in his vest pockets instead, for the time being.

“Good,” Rhyce replied.

“Good? You think I messed up, too?” Jaden tried not to whine. He really did.

“A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.”

“Thanks Rhyce. I feel much better now.”

The archer just grunted a little, and shifted his position.

“I’m heading down to see if they started on breakfast yet. I’ll bring you something, if you want?” Jaden began to leave the corridor by their rooms.

“Yeah. Thanks. And bring something for the cat, too.” Rhyce was more considerate with animals than he was with people.

“That cat does not need anything more. The beast must’ve already devoured half the larder,” Jaden muttered, as he snuck downstairs.

Later that morning Mirena made her way down the stairs, keeping a hand against the wall. Despite whatever holy vigour coursed through her body, it couldn’t stave off all of the fatigue from praying the entire night. Her green eyes looked a little dimmer than usual when she eased herself down in a chair next to Rhyce and Jaden in the common room. They had moved down from the second floor hall when another guest had finally complained about them lurking up there to the innkeeper.

“Any changes?” Jaden leaned forward to keep his voice down.

An attentive maid was already bringing some late breakfast refreshments over to their table, and Mirena gratefully accepted both the bowl of porridge and a fresh cup of tea. She took a long sip before replying.

“We’ve managed to keep the effects of the curse from damaging her too much, I believe. She’s still… trapped inside, but we’ve created beacons of strength in there with her. I’m afraid it’s more or less up to her. One of us will stay by her side, if anything happens. Also, we need to maintain the blessings to make sure the curse won’t regain any ground.”

“Can I help? Any magic I have is yours, if it’ll make any difference?” Jaden balled up his hands to keep from wringing them instead. He would have to deal with the guilt either way, but if he could at least lend a hand it would feel better.

“How much do you know about spiritual wards or sanctuary blessings?” She smiled gently at him, trying to let him down without hurting his pride.

“Not… that much,” he admitted.

“It might be a better use of your talents to make sure we won’t get any surprises from the rest of the world.” Mirena started on her porridge. She realised that she hadn’t eaten anything since last evening, and then only a light meal. She quickly finished her bowl, and asked for another serving. Even tired, and almost shovelling down the food, she made it seem like she was attending a nobility soiree.

While she ate, Rhyce filled her in on what had happened during the time she had been cooped up in her room with Kellen and Oleander.

“We weren’t followed here, or the Sons would’ve paid a visit the inn during the night. I didn’t get the impression they were subtle about how they exact their revenge.” Rhyce pushed the cat off the table. It landed with a heavy thud, and waddled away.

“They’re really not,” Jaden agreed.

“But with their soul magic, who knows what they are capable of? I’m going to act under the expectation of them attacking sooner or later. The Green Raven is barely defendable. We may want to relocate as soon as it’s possible to move Red.”

“How long that will be, I don’t know. I’ll let you know if her condition start to change for the better, and we feel we can risk it.” The knight had finished her second bowl, and hid a yawn behind her hand.

Stann came down the stairs clad in his more casual clothes, a sleeveless shirt and vest, and the heavy wool trousers favoured by the Northmen. The tattoo on his upper arm showed, the one that gave him his nickname. He still wore his sword, though, not willing to abandon that much of his cultural pride to blend in. Stann had been down earlier after he woke up, and had already eaten.

“Morning to you, Rena! Good to see you managed to endure being cooped up with my ugly cousin for that long a time.”

“Are you headed out?” She asked, frowning at the idea.

“Aye, we need to confer with our respectable contact now that we have the… object, after all.” Stann caught himself in time. “We’ll need to know where to drop it off. I’m not keeping that thing around any longer than necessary.”

“Are you sure it’s wise to go alone? The previous owners will no doubt be out there looking for us, and it.” Mirena didn’t like the idea of people going off on their own. Maybe it was because how knights never rode alone.

“Wisdom seldom speaks when my heart make decisions, milady,” Stann declared with pride.

“We know,” Rhyce added his opinion.

“Speaking of going out… I may need to leave for a while, as well.” Jaden tugged on his gloves a little bit, they still fit well enough. “I need to buy something.”

Mirena visibly perked up somewhat. She had very few vices, but filling her travel pack with even more clothes was one of them.

“You’re going shopping?”

“Ah… I need to replace some, uh, magical ingredients. During the fight with the S- with the other people, I ran out of some of my supplies.” Jaden used a little white lie. Lying had become strangely easy lately, something he did not like one bit.

Mirena made a slight face, and wished him a pleasant trip. With Stann going, it was no point in arguing to keep Jaden here as well. Maybe they’d have the good sense of going together. Looking at some of the cities selection of summer gowns would have been lovely, but if the morning would involve poking dried bat wings, she would rather stay at the inn. She had to be available to take over when Kellen needed a break, too, but it was nice to entertain the idea for a bit.

Rhyce got to his feet as well, unnoticed by the others, but went out the back door into a small enclosed area behind the inn. There was a small backyard here and a well the Green Raven shared with the other nearby houses. If he was going to keep watch of the inn by himself when the others were running errands, he had to make some preparations.

~ * ~

Tier was a huge city, arguably the largest one on the continent. While Etrana or some of the other capitals approached it in size, the mix of travellers and different cultures meeting in the arcades made it seem almost endless. You could walk the streets of the golden city for days and never have to retrace your steps. There was a local saying, ‘anything you desire, you can find in Tier’. Jaden hoped this would be true.

Stann and Jaden headed toward the large Inland Street that would take them all the way through the city toward the west gate. The locals called it the Tradegate for a reason. The city taxed permanent structures more than temporary ones, and that had naturally caused a large number of tents and market stands to spring up just outside the western gate. Over the years, it had sprawled ever larger, and was now bigger than most small villages. If you were a canny bargain hunter, you could find some really good deals out there from all over the world.
When they had first met with their contact, a representative of the Temple of Kuros, they had used one of the more discreet drinking tents outside the Tradegate to avoid being overheard by any agents of the Sons of Husk.

Almost noon, the streets were bustling with people heading out for lunch or enjoying a mid-day stroll. When the sun stood high above Tier, it really brought out the rich colour of the stone used in many of the buildings and the inner walls, giving it the name ‘golden city’.

As they passed a familiar tavern, the Moon and Keg, Stann stopped and looked a bit wistfully at the door.

“Stann, you had breakfast just an hour or so ago. You can’t be hungry already.” Jaden made as if to continue down the street. “And we’re not making a beer-stop either.”

“Do you think she is still working there?” The Northman asked as he caught up. He was subconsciously tidying his short beard a bit.

“Who? Oh, no, not another one of your elven barmaids. Stann, honestly?”

“Her name was Belane, hair as dark as midnight,” Stann sighed with one last look at the alehouse before they rounded the corner. “You know, since you’re both-“

“I’m not an elf, Stann. Leave it alone.”

As they passed the bored-looking guards who had sought shade under the arcs of the outer wall, they stepped outside the city proper. There were still as many, if not more, people around, but stone and wood buildings gave way to large tents and wagons.

“Well, little brother, I’m off to see our associate. I probably won’t be long, though. Shall we meet up for a lunch about town afterward?” Stann patted Jaden heavily on the shoulder.
‘Little brother’ was his favourite nickname for the Mystic. Jaden guessed it was endearing.

“Did you have a specific place in mind?”

“Perhaps. I might.” Stann glanced back at the gate, not a single guilty bone in his body.

“We should probably return to the Green Raven right away. It’s not fair to leave everything to Rhyce.” Jaden did not want to end up as the ‘elven wingman’.

“You’re right, of course,” Stann admitted grudgingly.

They parted ways, with Stann heading off in a different direction from the general market area. Jaden felt that this would be a good time to look for something he had been considering for some time now. His clothes were starting to hang quite loosely, but that could be refitted or exchanged. What couldn’t be altered was his height. Jaden estimated that he had lost a good inch or more since last autumn, and even if it wasn’t immediately obvious he couldn’t be certain it would stop any time soon. His friends were no halfwits, either. They would pick up on the changes soon, especially if he kept wearing heavy clothes into the summer. Magic was the problem, so magic would be his solution.

Jaden took a deep breath, and headed into the sea of stands and tents.

~ * ~

It didn’t take Stann too long to find his way to the matronly woman selling bouquets of spring flowers. She wore a small brooch with the symbol of Kuros, the Sheltering Hand, as a clasp for her light cloak.

“Imelia, good to see you!” He inspected the wreaths with feigned interest as they spoke, pretending to be a customer.

“Well met, Northlander. You look to be in good health. Did you find anything interesting on your last excursion?”

“Aye, we came across some interesting glassware from our farming friends, but one of us cut herself during our visit.”

“I’m sorry to hear that. The Sheltering Hand will provide for her, I’m certain. Oh, our mutual friend asked me to pass along that you’re ‘welcome to visit the flower sanctuary’. Here, take a nice bouquet of red mariganas for your injured friend.” She handed Stann a bundle of flowers of a warm red hue, almost orange, with long petals.

“Thank you, I will.” He looked a little confused. He wasn’t entirely sure what the message meant, but would relay it to wiser people than him as soon as they returned to the Green Raven.

They exchanged farewells, and Stann left with his flowers.

~ * ~

“Welcome, dear customer, to Zajid’s Tent of Marvels and Delights! I am, yes, Zajid, and also honoured to provide any assistance you may need to find that special something!” The voice belonged to a swarthy man in a richly adorned robe of an earthy burnt umber. His oiled hair curled down well below his shoulders, and he kept his beard almost as long.

The tent where Jaden had ended up was indeed filled with a splendid amount of trinkets, clothes and various bottled things. He had let his Mystic’s sight guide him along the winding paths of the market to where the largest concentration of magic threads coincided.

Akam sal narot, jiet,” Jaden returned the greeting. “You are a long way from Etria, to bring your wonders to our door.”

The merchant broke out in an endearing belly laughter.

“You speak Estal, miss- ssir?” Zajid corrected himself in time, but still looked a bit uncertain. “What a pleasant surprise! Most customers only know midland Trade. Sit, let me provide you with a cup of finest Etrian tea this warm day, and you can tell me what brings your person to my humble tent?”

They sat down by a small, round table where a kettle was already waiting for them. Maybe the merchant treated all his guests this way?

“Ah, hmm, I am looking for something quite specific,” Jaden began, stopping the other man from adding yet another spoon of honey to his tea.

“Yes? Let me guess.” Zajid inspected the slender, clearly elven… young man? “A gift for a friend? A nice garnet bracelet? Beautiful craftsmanship by the finest goldsmiths in Etrana.”

“While that does sound lovely, jiet, I must ask for something else. Do you sell any mirage veils?” Jaden sipped his tea. It was probably the best cup he had tasted since leaving home. His mother loved Etrian tea.

“Indeed?” The Etrian merchant leaned a bit closer. If the customer asked for enchanted items, it opened up a whole new realm for profit today. “As it happens, I may just have something for you, dear customer!”

Zajid rose to his feet and tapped his lips in thought. Jaden took another sip, and debated whether this was such a good idea after all.

“Something discreet, if it is available? That will allow me to change my looks?”

"Ah, I know what you want, dear customer!" The owner browsed through a display of large cloths before selecting one of them, a rich saffron and cream kerchief with waterfall patterns. "This one was made by Kasmani nymphs. Very rare, very beautiful."

"I realise that merchants embellish on their wares to push the prices up, but really now, nymphs?" Jaden sounded sceptical. He put the empty teacup down on its saucer.

"I swear, no falsehoods, under the eyes of the Judge! Here, smell it! Tell me you can't feel their touch?" The larger man held the cloth close to Jaden's face, and he reluctantly leaned in closer to take a whiff.

It was subtle, that's for sure. It had probably been washed repeatedly by a previous owner, but memories of summer, laughter and love tickled Jaden's mind.

"I... stand corrected, jiet. My apologies for doubting you."

The merchant beamed with pleasure. He obviously took great pride in his wares.

"It is the finest glamourweave you are likely to find this side of the mountains. You will be the envy of your friends, on my honour." Zajid puffed himself up yet a bit further.

"Well, that's a sales pitch if I ever heard one. Alright. What do you want for it?" This was more or less exactly what Jaden needed. Too bad it was a pretty feminine headcloth, but once his magic ran through the glamourweave threads it wouldn't matter.

"Oh, a mere... two thousand crowns?" The merchant pursed his lips, and looked expectantly at Jaden.

"Wha- that's-" Jaden sputtered. He didn't have that kind of money. They hadn't been paid for their recent assignment yet, and they wouldn't until they delivered the skull. He doubted the entire group had that amount put together, in ready coin.

"Nymphs made it," the merchant reminded Jaden.

"I... Yes, they did. But that is still a rather steep price. Especially for a second-hand item?"

"Then what do you offer, dear customer?" Haggling was the lifeblood of any trader.

Jaden had expected a high price, but not more than a couple of hundred crowns. Despite having been away from the isolated life in the citadel for more than one and a half years now, the world still managed to surprise him every so often.

"Will you take a trade-in?" He considered what he had at his disposal: some mementos from Talraman, some minor jewellery that had caught his eye over the years. The merchant was appraising Jaden's outfit as well.

"Hmm, while I don't normally trade with them, I would definitely take that sword off your hands. I would even offer a little something to balance the scales."

"My sword?" Jaden cringed. That sword was given to him by his father. It was enchanted, yes, but not impressively so. He suspected it was one of the older blades from the time when Talraman had been at war with, well, everyone else. It was one of a hundred just like it.

"I'll offer you two hundred crowns aside from the veil, and your pick of any of these rare and precious perfumes." Zajid gestured at a number of small bottles in various colours.

"Were those made by nymphs, too?" Jaden said sarcastically as he unhooked his sword. He really needed that kerchief. He could always get another weapon at the market.

"Alas, no, but by the hands of the blind elves of the Ral Sona monastery," the merchant went on to describe a fantastic tale of how the bottles travelled through the deep Sorun wilderness on the backs of panthers, wrapped in velvet and rose petals.

Jaden tuned it out, having already handed his sword over. What sort of perfume did he want? Why would he even want it? When he left the tent he looked down on a tinted bottle labelled 'violet'.

“Maybe I can give it to Mirena as a souvenir?”

After all, why would he want to keep it for himself?

up
107 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I wonder if hiding himself

I wonder if hiding himself will get Jaden into trouble. I mean his friends might take him for an infiltrator if he changes too much.

Thank you for writing this interesting story,
Beyogi

In hiding

Melange's picture

Sometimes when we're afraid, we do things that might come back and haunt us later on :)

I understand that jaden

I understand that jaden needed that veil,but giving away that sword which was given to him by his father...it makes me sad.Anyway,it was a good chapter and i'm waiting for the next one.:)

But... nymphs made it!

Melange's picture

We've all got reasons for doing the things we do. Bad reasons or good ones, but reasons nevertheless.

Thanks for reading! :)

Desperation

I think you're doing a good job showing the lengths Jaden will go to hide his changes. It also appears that I was right about mental changes. The willingness to lie would seem to come from that spirit and not just simply a feminine addition although the desire to keep the scent might be.

You have assembled an interesting bunch of adventurers here. :)

hugs
Grover

Cryptic replies!

Melange's picture

We are, after all, the sum of all our parts, even the ones we don't like :)

Stann would, of course, either wrestle you or buy you a beer for calling him "interesting" (and then ask if you happen to know any elven barmaids...)

Thank you for staying with the story :D

THIS is getting verrrrrrry interestink

I can see several possible paths ahead, nearly all of them have Jaden as Jade, the Elvin temptress/thief/hooker with a heart of gold type.

In any case seems to me the salamander he is tied to is a female salamander., How else to little salamanders get born/hatched?

The veil, nymph woven? Hum? Mixing his salamander enhanced magic with a magical item made by intensely female spirits.... I suspect Jaden will be Jade sooner than later. And given the troubles Oleander is having in fighting the curse of that death cult statue and Jaden feeling guilty over her plight I am suspicious he will try to help her and in the process speed/complete his transformation into a female.

But is the increasing ease at lying and the possible interest he/she is showing in feminine items --- IE the veil and perfume -- signs she will be a vain and deceitful woman or that she will be a cunning but loyal woman, IE the female is deadlier than the male concept of the tigress protecting her young?

As to the Norse man... hates bathing I presume? Nice twist on the wearing a flower to identify a blind date here or in this case the people how want that dangerous statue.

As to Oleander, dreams of what might happen? The curse of the statue trying to break down her mental defenses?

Nice band of brothers/sisters here. And we have some back story on their master archer and the guilt he feels from his past life.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

All the things!

Melange's picture

More about the unusual relationship between the Mystic and the prime spirit will be revealed as the story goes along, I promise, but for now I have to leave you with your speculations :)

Poor Oleander isn't having too much of a good time right now, Stann is terribly embarrassed with having to carry flowers around town, and Jaden is all kinds of confused. All in a day's work for our intrepid group!

Who knows?

Melange's picture

There could be all kiiinds of reasons, right? :)

Does the linked being change too?

If it's effecting Jay becoming more and more female does the salamander get effected by being more like the other too? Or do they in theory become one being ultimately?

*Great Big Hugs*

Bailey Summers

Hmm...

Melange's picture

Maybe I've been a little too careful with my language regarding Jay and his pacts. I hope I can clear up a recurring misconception in the later chapters :)

Learn by doing, self!