nobility?

Printer-friendly version

nobility?

We all have days where we loose our way.

Where we get wrapped up in the wrong thing.

Where stop being and merely exist.

On these days, we need to step back

We need to step back.
Out of our own....
Being, mind, heart

And figure out.
Not what we want.
Not what we need.
But...

What we believe in.

What we want to represent.

What we want to be, on a fundamental level.

THEN, and only then can we figure out, truly....

What we want,
What we need,
What to do,
And where to go.

This is where we can make the right decision for us.

Because if we do not know ourselves,
How can anyone else?

We can ask for help,

We can ask for direction,

We can ask for a miracle.

But until we find that core, of what we are,
which no one can help with, no one can provide insight to,
How can we let anyone influence anything,
Without living a lie?

......

Living this lie makes a lot of us selfless.
Wanting to help everyone.
For no regard for ourselves.

To give anyone "deserving" everything.

To give them, money, support, anything we can, even if it hurts us.

To protect them any way we can, no matter what, even from themselves.

This makes us good people?

Does it?

Is the person that kills 1 innocent to save a hundred, thousand, million innocents a good person?

This is no different,
This is one in the same.

This is no regard for oneself.

We merely survive in the hope that we can make something meaningful,

Of the nothing we feel ourselves to be,

With the addition, of our warped sense of logic, and honor.

"Okay I put myself in a bad position to help a friend, a stranger, or anyone worthy, at the sacrifice of myself, which isn't worth much"

That is the mindset of both these scenarios.

This is the mindset of the martyr,
The noble,
The fool.

To put no worth in oneself, this
Is evil in itself.

Needed, sometimes, in extremes, maybe, but still evil.

How can we weigh the lives of everyone if we don't include ourselves in that equation.

"All men are created equal".

Okay but more to the point, gender bias aside,
"All PEOPLE are created equal".

.........

But if we are all created equal, how can we put a value on anything?

............

Your life means more than mine so i will give you everything to make yours better (selfless person giving everything to a .... "Love", friend, family, lover).

I will hunt your enemies, I will do anything so no stain sets on your soul, and you can LIVE.

Or....

You are an innocent but I cannot protect you, there are many others I can protect by sacrificing you, and thus my soul.

Where is the difference?

In this ones mind, there is none.

But this ALL makes the equation unequal.

To break it into simple algebra, we are trying to a make an equation of X + Y = Z when there is a Q variable in there.

We are the Q.

We are the variable that wants to remain hidden? Why?

.......

Because that is what we feel we should be.....

We are the noble. The martyr. The one that protects everything we can.

But we are wrong. We don't figure in Q.

We are worth it too.

So what do we do? Move on?

No.

We have to step back and find that core.

We have to decide, x+y=z+q
Or x+y+q=z
Or q=x+y+z

Who are we, and are we worth, anything but being a martyr?
On any level?
........

We are higher because we ask ourselves this question regularly?

No, we do what we need to,

What we need to, me damned the consequences.

As long as it is "right".

up
70 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

interesting poem.

thank you for sharing it, and welcome to big closet.

DogSig.png

Great First Posting

Very insightful and timely. I love to see this type of sharing on the board because it helps so much for all of us to share these type of deep thought.

Welcome to the board and I am looking forward to seeing more of your witting, thank you for sharing.

Huggles
Michele

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

"Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead." I heard that in a

movie once. Welcome to Big Closet.

What you have said here is true. We must be true to ourselves, because nobody else will be. Actually, though, I think it is z+x-q=y. Why? Because we are who we are and just because we are there for others, does not mean we are in the right, because we might have ulterior motives, and those ulterior motives are wrong. Okay, enough of pondering one the human condition, or is that the core we need to find? Well, whatever, you did a very good job at making us all think and that is a good thing.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

That Was Thought Provoking

That was certainly thought provoking. It also got me leafing through Steven Pinker's 'How The Mind Works', which is never a bad thing.

It seems we're hard-wired to be altruistic. I'll watch your back because mine might need watching in the future. And on that occasion it just might be that my survival depends upon it.

According to Pinker, reciprocal altruism is the source of many of our emotions - sympathy, gratitude, anger - as well as the ultimate source of morality. The Golden Rule: do unto others as you would have them do unto you. It really does help your survival chances. Or should I say it helped your ancestors' survival chances, which is why you're here today.

So I think the missing variable has been factored in, thanks to good old natural selection.

Is the person that kills 1 innocent to save a hundred, thousand, million innocents a good person?

A very good question. If you could travel back in time to Braunau am Inn, Austria, on April 20th 1889, would you kill the new-born Adolf Hitler? I know what my answer would be.

Ban nothing. Question everything.

Thank you!

I am amid writing the final poem of twelve for an anthology, and this was exactly the inspiration I needed (though mine needs to be in alliterative verse). Thank you so much, a beautiful poem. :)

thank you

Thank you all for your comments.

Im not much of a writer, especially poetry, its been 15 years since I have written a poem. Its really surprising to me that my first post is a poem because I have a story that i have been working on for 3 months, but a couple of drinks, a bit of inspiration and 20 minutes later I have my first post.

I am glad you all injoyed it, again thank you.

And my much shorter version

Just so you know I'm not just purloining your poetry, here's what I composed with its inspiration. :)

Sága’s Prayer for a Higher Path

A goal that gives, three generations
Reason to praise my name.
A hoard of hearts, inspired starts,
My footprints bloom in blessings.

You honor me with that. I

You honor me with that.

I don't know that I am a gifted enough author to inspire anyone, especially with my eclectic format, but i believe that does capture what i was after.

lifeline

I have a story i have been working on for a while, i have the backround set up but i don't have the direction of where i am going.

1 i need an editor. I already have enough for probably 3 chapters at 10,000 words apiece on just the set up.

2 i need ideas of where to go with it. I can still do just about anything. And i just don't know where to take it. Maybe i just need to scrap it and start again.

Ps if my typing is horrible i broke a nail and its killing my typing.

[email protected]