Ashley Phoenix Riley - 7 - Ashley The Phoenix

Printer-friendly version
I first ran away from home when I was 10 years old... my mom had left two years earlier because of abuse from my dad... The first time I ran away, I was caught two weeks later and returned home... The next time I changed my name and I ran away into New York City... I became what we called a street rat; living on and under the streets... that was until I followed this woman Bridgette too closely.
Ashley Phoenix Riley
Chapter 7
Ashley The Phoenix

by Jessica C.

Copyright © 2013 Jessica C
All Rights Reserved.

 


Image Credit: Picture purchased and licensed for use from

123rf.com. The model(s) in this image is in / and are no way connected with this story nor supports nor conveys the issues and situations brought up within the story. The model(s) use is solely used for the representation of looks of the main character(s) of this particular story. ~Sephrena


 
 
Chapter 7
 
Ashley was a little fearful in going to school come Monday, not sure of herself after her traumatic weekend. Supportive words were not reassuring in changing her mood. More troubling new was Johnny, her attacker showed up at school. He was out of jail, released pending reconsideration to his sentence. Ash was scared when he appeared and came over to intimidate her, Johnny said, “Guess who, I am going to get before any decision comes back!”

Her street savvy thinking clicked into gear as Ashley stepped up to his face, “I don’t know if you don’t have your buddies with you; I would guess it must be a little boy or girl you came to beat up. But they would have to be pretty small! Knowing you, if you’re alone you will probably attack them from behind just to have the advantage!” She was forcing herself to laugh and smile in his face.

Johnny lost his cool and threw a punch that I expected and moved to the side. I gave him a push that sent Johnny falling to the floor. “If you don’t stop I’ll have to do something nasty like using my lipstick on you, Johnny.” Johnny was angered by the insult and came charging back and Ash was ready. As Johnny raised his fists to come down on her; she twirled with a kick to his gut and knocked the air out of him. Good to her word, as Johnny went down gasping for his breath Ashley quickly marked his face with some lipstick.

She ran down the hall to Corelli’s classroom, "Mr. Corelli, Johnny Scott attacked me and I’m afraid he won’t stop.” Johnny had not fully caught his breath when he made it to the classroom door, his face scarred with lipstick. Unfortunately or maybe fortunately, the school security showed up behind him and grabbed to take him to the office. Finding out who, he was after the officer said with an attitude, “Miss Riley, it might be better for you to either stay here or have someone escort you to the nurse’s office. We will send for you when you’re needed.”

“I hope you’re going to ask others here what happened.” Ashley snapped back, “Seemingly sending me to the hospital the last time wasn’t enough!”

Julio came into the room looking for Ashley, and was quickly told by the security guard, “You’re not to be here, I need to ask you to leave.”

Julio waved a paper, “I already have the school’s permission as well as her mother’s. I don’t seek to impede your duties, but I'm staying to make sure she is alright.”

Johnny was now getting restless as the guard continued to get angry, “He’s free to be here, as he’s been released pending a ruling on his case!”

“He may have been released pending a ruling on his sentencing, but he’s still a convicted felon of a violent crime.” Julio went on to say, “I suspect if you checked his release document he’s under some restrictions. If he is and you approved him being here, your judgment should be in question.”

Ken heard the discussion as he came into the room with Mo, “Why don’t the adults leave and let us settle the dispute?” He went over to hug Ashley, “Thanks for being on my side, but I don’t need a white knight.”

Mo laughed, “I think that’s why I’m here.” The joked cut the tension and the officer quietly took Johnny down to the office. Julio checked with Ashley and walked with her to the nurse’s office. Joani and Ken were both allowed to go with her. Julio had Ash’s Mom on the phone asking her when she could be there. “I’ll stay around until you can get here or take her home or to a doctor if need be. Your daughter looks to be fine; if anything I may be needed here to protect Johnny from her.” His comment brought a smile to Ash.

“Tell Mom that the Phoenix showed up.” Joani and Julio both hugged her, understanding what she meant. Ken also gave her a hug which was appreciated by Ashley for the affection it held.

Peg, the school nurse, excused Joani and Ken back to class and asked Julio to wait in the hall as she visited with Ashley and examined her. The trauma of the event was the only concern of note. The nurse discovered, Ashley’s foot and ankle possibly had a small sprain by the kick but not noticeably so. Nurse Peg did ask if she was taking precautionary measures regarding sex. Ashley shared confidentially that she and her doctor had visited about it but wanted her because of her surgery to wait until November before she prescribed anything. “I guess I will need to be a good girl at least until then.”

Nurse Peg gave Ashley the option of going home, but Ashley opted to stay in school not wanting to get further behind in her studies and getting used to school was too important. Ashley knew before the nurse suggested that she check her makeup and hair. Though she hadn’t cried, she redid her eye makeup and spruced up her appearance to be better than when she came to school.

Julio was there to escort her to her class stating, “The Police have taken Johnny into custody. I suggested if they needed to talk to you that they should send Officer Tracy to speak to you after school. If Principal Hadley wants to visit with you; I ask that they just call you to the office, call me as well and not allow security to be part of the meeting.” Ashley was relieved and happy to get to class as it was already into the second period of classes. “I’ll be somewhere in the neighborhood having coffee for a few hours to make sure you are alright.” He gave her a hug before Ashley went into Mrs. Crowley’s class. Between making new friends in her classes, she was the talk of the school for putting Johnny down. Ashley was focusing on her classes and enjoying the remainder of the day. Other students gave a mixed review on lunch while Ash thought it was at least as good as the street vendors. Bad food was what she had when she was a street rat.
 
 
Her Mom was there just before the end of school as Ashley had an appointment with Dr. Ann Akers. I saw Mom through the window as she was coming into the school. There were mixed feelings of excitement and joy and that of an embarrassed teenager. Ryta was sitting behind me and said, “Isn’t that sweet, your mom’s here?” She squeezed my shoulders letting me know she cared.

“Thanks, if you want we can give you a ride? You know it’s a help knowing you and Joani are here.” The teacher must have gotten a note on her computer as she said, “Ashley you are needed in the office.” I asked if Ryta could have permission to go with me.

When I saw Principal Hadley standing with my Mom, I was sure we would be talking before I got to go home.

I told them, "I asked for Ryta to be with me as we meet." Principal Hadley asked, “Ryta did you see the incident?”

“You know me well enough that I would have jumped in and helped to send that Scum-Bucket where he belongs. I hear Ash showed a lot more restraint and good judgment than I would. I hope you give her a medal.”

Ms. Hadley smiled, “Yes that would have been like you, you’re that kind of a friend. While off the record I might share your sentiments; I don’t think there will be an award assembly. But I do want to hear from this young lady and go from there. While fighting is not condoned, I understand the need to protect oneself. I heard you did use good judgment and restraint, I thank you for that.”

“Mom’s friend Julio shared a thought and I was wondering if Johnny really was wrong in being here? I’ll admit I’m scared, especially if he brings friends.”

“I suspect you know I can’t speak about that more than to say we will address things concerning your wellbeing and security on the school grounds. You did give me a thought and I will ask the police to address the concern to include Johnny’s associates as a possibility of a group coming onto the school property.” Ms. Hadley turned to my Mom, “Ms. Riley, you are doing quite well as a single parent and I think how well Ashley is doing in making the adjustments. All that reflects nicely on you and Miss Riley.”

Mom turned to me and glanced at Ryta; she wanted to address how I was really doing but wanted to make sure I was comfortable with Ryta being there. I nodded that it was okay. “I agree, I think she is doing fine, especially for all she is going through. She has been through a lot for a young teen. She is neither superwoman nor always calm as she appears to be. She was on the streets for years. Showing emotions or confiding in others goes against how she's used to doing things.”

Ryta looked at me and drew me in with her arm around me. Ms. Hadley spoke, “I learned about her being on the street when she and others helped at the school in late July and August. However, I didn’t understand how it might impact Ashley as a person and as one of my students. I might suggest we set up some study groups or tutoring assistance for study periods. I would also appreciate your feedback during the year on how we can help Ashley.”

“That sounds good and we will get back to you but Ash has an appointment to get to, so we will need to be going,” I told Mom, I promised Ryta a ride. Mom agreed it would be okay and added, “Ryta, I would like to have you over for dinner some night this week, if it is okay with your parents. You could stay overnight if you two would behave,” she said with a smile.
 
 
We dropped Ryta off and were to Dr. Akers on time for the appointment. “Ashley, please tell me about last Friday or today, starting wherever you want.”

“Today, I went to school afraid about how well I would do. I was more afraid I wasn’t going to do well and that my life would unwind like a loose thread… Johnny, the guy who jumped me and whom I thought was in jail came to school and threatened me.”

“I was plenty scared but I wasn’t going to show that and I was angry. He spoke to me quietly to threaten me ‘saying he was going to hurt someone.’ He did so others would not hear. ‘I asked him if he was going to hurt a little boy or girl out loud. He lost his temper and charged me. He had his hands up to bash me good, but I sidestepped him and pushed him down. When he got up I was scared and he knew it and charged me again and I timed things to kick him in the gut. He went to the floor gasping for breath. Then I ran to Mr. Corelli’s room and asked for help.”

The security guard finally came but he was upset with me as well as Johnny. Julio, one of Mom's friends, soon came as well as others and I knew I was safe. I became pissed off that I was under suspicion for causing the trouble. Julio and I spoke up and I soon knew I was safe for now. The rest of the day went well. I think it helped me out of what was troubling me.”

Dr. Akers complimented me, “I am impressed with how you handled the situation. You appear to be more like the Ashley I’ve come to know. Your sense of insecurity is, however, something we needed to talk more about.”

“Friday, I was exhausted from school and when I helped Mom deliver textbooks to the Star Academy and we saw the girls there. I was overwhelmed and thought I could have easily been there, more likely someplace worse. That was when my emotions were ready to come crashing in. I was briefly afraid my life was going to unravel. I had thoughts like I was going to disappoint my Mom. Soon I calmed down and I knew I was no longer Jack.”

“Come to the end of the day, not only did I do well in learning, but I was looking at the other girls. I wanted to have more fun in learning to be Ashley. I think I have some makeup ideas.”

“Ashley you talked of a girl named Mace at the Star Academy. I wonder how you would feel if things didn’t work out at school. Maybe it is Mace and not Jack you are afraid of becoming again,” Dr. Akers said and then came a long pause of silence.

I wondered how she knew, but I didn’t know what to say and sought to stay quiet.

Dr. Ann asked, “Ashley, why are you crying?” I hadn’t noticed until she mentioned that I was crying, and now profusely.

I asked, “How did you know?”

“You told me; it wasn’t with words but a mask of fear came over your expression as you talked of Mace. Mace was a street rat like you, yet different. Seemingly she’s tough, but it didn’t protect her from becoming gruesomely scarred. I suspect you saw Ashley in Mace.”

“No its worse, Jack was the street rat, Ashley would be dead or a bad excuse for being alive,” I responded with broken speech mingled with crying.

“So should we talk to your Mother about you not visiting the Star Academy?”

“No, I think I know how to banish that fear.”

“And how might that be,” Dr. Ann asked. I knew my statement surprised her.

“I read a story about President Lincoln going to a social event in Washington, D.C. during the Civil War. During the evening he was seen talking to a man from the Carolinas. Shortly thereafter he was being chided for talking to the enemy during a time of war. President was reported to have responded by saying, “Do you know a better way to do away with the enemy than to make him a friend?”

“Like, with Cody, Norm, and Jeff, I hoped to become a friend to Mace and the girls at Star Academy.”

“You realize that if you are going, to be honest with them sometime you will need to reveal you were a street rat and not just be a recipient of their stories. Sometime down the road, you might want to even share with an individual or two that you were Jack or a boy.” I kind of looked off to the side and smiled.

“Do I take it that someday you would like to tell someone?”

I say, “I’m not ready and I don’t have a trusting friendship with any of the girls at the Academy.” The appointment ended with Mom meeting with us. We shared much of the visit and Mom was pleased to see how well I was doing.
 

=^_^=


 
As we were traveling home Mom got a call from Ryta. Ryta asked, “Ms. Riley would Thursday night be good for me to come to dinner and stay overnight?”

Mom asked Ryta, “Can I call you back in a moment; I need to check with my schedule?” They hung up and Mom told me she had a client that was to come Thursday night.

I was a little disappointed, but agreed, “I understand Mom; I just hope we can do something. We were the ones who invited her.”

“Okay, Thursday you two will come first.” Mom used her voice-activated cell phone connection calling Ryta. “Hello Ryta, I need to change another appointment I had. We will be delighted to have you over Thursday for dinner as well as to stay overnight…” Mom decided to change her schedule for me. “Why don’t you come over between 5:30 and 6:00 and we will eat around 6:15 p.m. We will see you, and take care until then.”
 
 
At the next red light, I reached over and gave Mom a hug. “I don’t make things easy for you but I love you so much. My life is better because you became a Mom in your heart and took me home.” Mom smiled as we continued on home.

This afternoon I had gained confidence in Mom and that I could choose when to open up. Doing my school work that night began to go better. I began to see the progressions of understanding algebra and science, as well as what I was reading for literature as well as history. The help of others was beneficial, but soon would not be as crucial.
 
 
The next two days went better. Among other joys, I was trying new styles of doing my hair and makeup. I enjoyed using blush to sculpt the appearance of my face and to add color.

Word got back to me through Julio that Johnny had earned his way back into jail as he awaited the decision on his sentencing. His actions had even earned the possibility that his sentence could be more severe. The authorities had added the stipulation that whenever Johnny was released or for any reason not in jail or prison that I was to be notified forty-eight hours beforehand. The last stipulation, however, has a history of being forgotten and not kept, especially where it concerns women and children.

Along with my regular classes, I went to choir and was invited to be part of the girls’ chorus. Mr. Heard was the music teacher and while demanding; he was most encouraging and talented in teaching high school youth. Even gifted singers improved greatly under his tutelage; though more than one talented singer or esteemed student thought they were too good for his help.

I wasn’t very gifted but my voice found and held the notes fairly well, most of all I enjoyed singing. Mr. Heard was one of few vocal instructors who introduced singers to jazz and blues music. It compliments Ms. Sands who had developed a jazz and blues band.

Come Thursday, I found groups of different friendships forming around different classes, at lunch and before and after school as well as with choir and chorus. The one problem I was having was many others did not like me being in so many groups with friends outside of their sphere. I, however, didn’t like the idea of limiting who I became close friends with. People like Ryta, Joani, Ken, and Mo were comfortable. Those who weren’t could either grow up or decide if they not wanted to drop our friendship.
 =^..^= 
Wednesday night was cool as Mom had two clients come to the house. This time they were both already in feminine attire. One, however, was more comfortable in his new skin. Miss. Chaise was 6’ 2” and her heels had to be special ordered. She would more easily be seen as a crossdresser and not readily recognized to be Charles. She and I got to visit and it was astounding to hear about the help Chaise and Bridgette had been in the maturing of Charles. While she would remain as Charles, she thought Chaise would remain as part of him and have her own times to help her relax and enjoy life.

=^_^=

Heather at five-five made a very attractive woman, and while she/he had been meeting with Bridgette over a month longer; it was only in the past month Pete started making progress. Even Wednesday night was easy to see Pete still had a bit of an attitude. He snapped at me “Do you want something?”

I curtly responded, “Yes I would like to slap that chip off your shoulder. I would also like your feminine self to get past makeup deep.”

I was sure I overstepped myself until Bridgette spoke up, “Heather did you hear that now cool down and let it sink in. She has expressed what some of your clients, family, and friends tend not to say though it has been in their thoughts… Your boss says as you’ve climbed the ladder in sales and as a company rep, your image is turning ugly. He said, "You have lost much of what made you so good.”

“I would like you to relax for five to ten minutes. I would like you to see if Ashley would dance with you for a while and see if you two could become friends.” I was not obligated to dance with Heather so she needed a sincere change of attitude if I was to dance with her. It was interesting to see and hear her stay in Heather mode but tell me of what Pete had achieved and liked about his work and family. He had been burnt by a couple of customers and ticked off a few others. It had started to snowball on him.

I was moved by his story but wasn’t fully sure it was all true. Heather began to cry but I felt even more that it was not totally sincere. “What do I need to do to convince you to accept me as a friend?”

“Your wife might not like what I am going to say. I think Heather or Pete needs to go out and find a guy who would love you... Not make love as much as show you that you are lovable. I think you are so uptight that it might take someone… I’m sorry, but you’re still lovable but I don’t think you believe it. I’m just someone open to being your friend, but I think either try too hard to have people like you or you become so sarcastic that you chase people away.”

I felt a need to say more, “Being Heather is like an exercise to let your beautiful and tender self to be seen, but even a girl should not depend upon makeup to portray what is already there.” Now it was me with tears in my eyes as we both hugged. Before Heather left she arranged to go out with my Mom for a night on the town. Mom would not go as his date, but as a friend, for him to meet others.

Mom was glad my time with Chaise and Heather worked out, but she said she should have prepared me beforehand. She stated I had been pretty blunt with Heather and while it worked this time I shouldn’t depend on that style of exchange. I'd have felt for your safety if he had gotten worse.

It was more a matter of feeling bad that he appeared to be going through the steps and missing what my Mom was hoping he would see. Mom hinted that what he really needed was for his wife to love him. From what she said earlier in the evening, I was sure his wife did love him. Steffi smiled saying, “We think he needs to see himself on the receiving end of her love.”

I thought back and I understood. When I was on the street even before when I was home after my mom had left, I was frustrated seeing others were being loved. It was also what I liked in being me, Ashley. Yes, some attention was for looking good, having on a smart outfit or nice makeup and hair accented with perfume, but I found out I was love just for being me.

But I had wished as a boy that I could have worn more attractive clothes. I hadn’t minded the time I dressed with Heidi as a kid. I only felt bad that my dad had stopped it and had gotten rough with me. I kind of put it aside except for dreaming of it after that.
 
 
That night I dreamed of men and seeing them magically transformed to become women. Several times Ken or Jess showed up in my dreams. One time I hardly even recognized Ken until after I found myself kissing Kendra and wanting to do more. Unfortunately, I woke up soon after that.

Thursday I wore a nice mini-dress that barely met the school dress code. I saw Ms. Hadley snicker when she saw me. It was interesting walking up the risers for choir in a mini-dress, but it made changing over for the gym class and back easy. I enjoyed the feeling of how I am filling out my clothes better as time goes by. It is subtle enough so most girls notice and guys notice you but they don’t seem to know or care why.

It was a good day so Ryta and I took our time and walked home from school. We window shopped in a few shops as we made our way to my house. Ryta’s mom hopefully had dropped off her clothes so she could stay overnight. One shop was a woman’s boutique where we were encouraged to try on some clothes, even though they knew we were only window shopping. I found a number of dresses and outfits of tops and skirts that I wanted to come back and get with my mom or her approval.
 
 
When we made it to my place Ryta was happy to see her mom had dropped off her clothes. Mom told me, “Steff and I were here and had a good time with Regina, Ryta’s mom. If Steffi’s not here for dinner it might mean the two of them is going out to eat together.” That would be good for Mom as she wanted to be exclusively with Cathy.

“Steff prefers women a bit older than herself so that could work out well.” Mom turned to Ryta as she came into the room, “Now I know whom you take after, your mother is a fine looking woman as well as a good thinker. She said she was worried however about you being satisfied with only high school education.”

“I don’t like people telling me what I have to take or giving me lower grades because of who I am,” Ryta said. It was a concern that hit Mom’s interest.

Mom said, “You should look into colleges and universities you might be interested in and ask upfront about how they treat people of various lifestyles. You would be able to select your field of study and many have a good selection of majors as well as electives. A good university will be very interested in a student who takes charge of her studies and doesn’t fit into a mold.”

“I am not completely sure of what I would be interested in; right now it would be fashion and design or research in environmental sciences. I am good in both science and math. Everybody says that should target a high paying occupation. But I get really angry because I would forego great pay for a job that really makes a difference.”

“I agree with you Ryta,” Mom spoke up, “some of those willing to pay you high figures will want you to say what they want. What’s worse as you have experienced some friends will tell you that’s what you need to do.”

Ryta asked, “Ms. Riley could we speak alone about being a lesbian?” Mom agreed that after dinner they would take time to visit.

Ryta and I helped to start making the meal but a short while after that Mom told us to take some time for ourselves. Mom added, “You have a couple of new outfits, why don’t you take Ryta to your room and show them off to her.” I took it as meaning I had permission to model them for her as girls often do.

I found myself a bit excited about changing in front of Ryta. Seeing me in my panties and bra Ryta could tell I was getting close to my monthly visitor. I had slipped into my new shimmering blue dress, as well as some jewelry and shoes to go with it. “Woe foxy, that fits you like a glove. I’m not sure I would want to talk you out of that it’s so pleasant to the eyes.” She paused “How soon are you expecting your monthly visitor,” she asked?

I looked at my calendar and realized it was only two days if that. “How did you know?”

Ryta giggled, “You need to have some more mother/daughter talks with your Mom.” I tried to persuade her to tell me but insisted she wasn’t the one telling me. I found out later it was because of the water weight gain that often precedes a woman’s period.

“Ryta probably didn’t want to offend you as many girls and women take it to mean they’re fat. Ryta knew you weren’t fat. She called you foxy because she saw you as being hot.” Mom told me these things later.
 
 
I had tried on my second outfit and was changing into some comfortable clothes for the evening, as was Ryta when we found ourselves again turned on by the other. I walked over and rubbed up to Ryta wanting to hug her. I was giving her a hug as she gently put her hands on my hips and butt. I gave her a kiss as a hand came and was gently touching me over my panties and between my legs. I was sure I was damp and moist. Ryta really knew how to gently touch me so I felt really good and became even hotter.

Mom called us for dinner so I gave Ryta a peck and we both checked our clothes and makeup and went down to eat. Dinner was very enjoyable but the doorbell rang shortly after we finished. Mom checked the door, “Bridgette we need to see you; we don’t know if we have a problem or a breakthrough.” Mom invited them in and they went into her meeting room. It was Ron and Ellen, except Ron came as Ronnie. Ron had been a hard head case. Coming as Ronnie indicated a change and Ellen’s presence meant part of the change was in being open to her. He was daring to be sensitive. Mom called me to meet her outside the room.

“Ashley, I would like you to visit with Ronnie and Ellen. They need to share what is going on in their lives, but they’re looking to me for answers. With Steffi not here I could use your help. If you would, I would like you to listen and facilitate their talking. Show acceptance, share as your heart leads, but let them do the talking and discover their own answers. It is okay to share you are from the streets but I ask you don’t share about your gender change. I don’t want Ronnie thinking that way unless it came naturally from her.”

“Mom why me, do you think they will really open up to me?”

“Honey I wouldn’t ask if I wasn’t pretty sure what would happen. I like what I have seen in you, you will be good. I wanted to talk to you about doing something like this, but this came unexpectedly. If you feel you get in over your head you can call me on your cell and I will respond. But if you can and after they are talked out schedule them to meet with me Monday or Tuesday night. If they haven’t had dinner suggest they go out to eat before they go home,” Mom smiled, stepped away from the door waiting to see if I would go in.

I took three breaths, got my composure and walked in sharing with Ronnie and Ellen. “Hello Ronnie and Ellen, I’m Ashley, Bridgette’s my Mom and she got called away but she wanted me to come in and visit with you. She asked that you two continue sharing what is going on, and about what brought you here tonight.”

I could see Ronnie wonder about opening up to me. “Ronnie, I know you might wonder about sharing with me; I can only ask you to trust Bridgette’s judgment. If it helps, I was a street rat and Mom helped me to transform my life. I know how good she is and I trust her judgment.”

“I don’t mean any disrespect but you don’t realize who I am and what I’ve been through. I’m not sure you can help me,” Ronnie said. I thought she was about to pull off her wig or open her blouse. I readied myself not to be shocked.

“Ron, I know a little of what my Mom does. She said you and Ellen have had some kind of breakthrough and need to share it and just celebrate what you’ve accomplished. I think she knows your journey is not done but what has happened is positive and significant. So Ronnie if you would just share between the two of you.”

Ronnie looked over to his wife Ellen. “Ellie knows I’ve been fighting this and I know I’ve become a bastard but as Ronnie, I am embarrassed to say: I’ve begun to see things differently. Being Ronnie has helped me to get in touch with the better side of me.” Ellen touches Ronnie’s hand and is affirming what he/she is saying.

“How so,” I ask?

“I’ve been trying to be so strong and my own man. I’ve been talking to Ellen as Ronnie like Ms. Riley has been encouraging me. I dared to tell Ellie I am scared and I need help in turning around. She didn’t laugh at me, tell me the bast**d I’ve been nor did she… she just hugged me and I cried like a little boy. I guess I should have said little girl.”

I said, “Wow what courage that took. I think ‘little boy’ was correct. The little boy knew what the man forgot.” I looked to Ellen, “I think Ronnie opened up to you and you were there for her. How did that make you feel?”

Ellen smiled through her watery eyes, “I am just so happy that she opened to me. Today she stayed home and we made love and talked. I just hope it continues, but I’m afraid if Bridgette doesn’t help us we will wake up and be back to where we were.”

I spoke and asked, “Ronnie do you want to go back to your old ways? Is there something inside that says you need to go back?”

“No, but I want Bridgette to tell me what I need to do to stay on track.” He turned to Ellen, “Ellie, you deserve better than me. I’ve always thought you are beautiful, but I thought that came easy and I discounted your depth by only looking at the surface and seeing makeup.” Turning to me he smiles, “See she can even help make me look beautiful. My old self would have lashed out at such an attempt. But I stayed home to be beautiful and to be with your love.”

I asked Ron, “What do you like about being Ronnie?”

She said in a very tender sounding voice, “I like being pretty even wearing pretty clothes, but most of all Ronnie cares about people and she helps me to be a better person.” Ronnie looks to Ellen seeming to get affirmation to share something. “One of my daughters saw me today; she saw me as Ronnie. Do you want to guess what she said? I guess I don’t know her as well as I should, but I hope too.”

“I’d rather not guess but just hear it from you,” I knew from being a young teen it could be most anything.

“She looked me up and down smirked and said, ‘If that is what is helping you to be a better Dad I’m all for it and I would even go shopping to get you another outfit.’ And then she gave me a big hug and kissed me on the cheek as she does with her mother.”

Ellen chimed in, “I was so proud of our daughter Meg. She’s felt hurt for so long. It was a blessing that she saw it as she did, an opportunity for things to be better. Her Dad may have a white collar job, but he has a blue-collar background and a mean temper. She loves her Daddy but she has been hurt and disappointed by him.”

“What happens when he comes up short again," Ellie asked? I could see Ronnie’s concern rise with her.

“Ronnie, I suspect there is a difference between being imperfect as a loving Dad and going back to being your old self. What do you think the difference is?”

Ron said, “I’m afraid of disappointing her or her brother and sister. I know I can’t go back to my old ways, I won’t allow me to go back there, but I know I’m not going to be perfect.”

Ellie spoke up, “Wait until your daughters figure out Ronnie can take them shopping and get them some things as well. They will be looking for imperfections to take advantage of. Seriously, it would hurt big time if you went back to being your old self.”

I asked, “Ellen what do you enjoy about your husband being Ronnie?”

“Last night when we were out together I enjoyed it when two men tried to pick the two of us up. He and I are coming to see what is possible.” We talked another hour before they were talked out and ready to leave. They chose to come back to visit with my Mom on Tuesday night. They complimented me on helping them.

“Bridgette said, "If you hadn’t eaten yet you should go out to dinner before going home. She also hopes you will continue to relate to each other and work on things until she sees you on Tuesday. She said and I agree you don’t need to ask others for answers. You two are the ones’ responsible for the progress you make. You should be gaining confidence and growing in your relationship.”
 
 
Mom came out and greeted me soon after Ronnie and Ellen were gone, “Ashley, I want to compliment you on how well you did. Ronnie and Ellen did even better and that is how it should have gone. You appeared to be a veteran facilitator; with the session being less about you and mostly about them. A person can guide them to say the right words, but it isn’t until the words, feelings, and understanding are theirs that a step has really been made.”

“Mom, I am glad I could help you and I like talking with you, but I’d rather be with Ryta.”

“She is quite the young woman and I am glad she’s one of your friends. I was wondering if you could handle being girlfriends without getting involved sexually?”

“Mom with Ryta I can be sexually involved five feet away, with a kiss or light touches. Are you saying that if we can’t just be friends we need to break things off? Or are you saying if we don’t need to become an exclusive item and make-out and have sex? Yes, I understand what you are asking of us. I think that is where we are.”

“I’m not saying it will never happen, I think that might be a stretch to promise.”

“You’re right Ashley; I’m not naíve enough to think you two won’t step over the boundaries. But when I pull in your reigns don’t be surprised. I will seek to stop you from going off the deep end and you might get grounded for longer than you like. I won’t be terminating your friendship.”

“Are we done, I want to see Ryta.” Mom giggled at my matter of fact response and wanting to get back to Ryta.
 
 
It wasn’t quite 9:00 p.m. when Ryta and I got back to visit. She had a big smile as she had gotten to talk with my Mom. I found out she didn’t have many to talk to about being a lesbian that understood and cared. “I’m glad your Mom understands me; she knows some places I can more freely be me. She also told me we can be friends but I need you to tell me if I go too far.”

I smiled, “I’ll also tell you not to stay too far away and yet not push me.” I stepped forward and gave her a kiss. It was nice to feel her warmth both in the kiss and our embrace. We got ready for bed and while we didn’t shower together, we were present. She showed me a few pointers on how girls our age did some things differently than Mom.

When Mom came in to say goodnight, she said, “It is okay for you to share the bed, but remember not to go too far.” Mom sat down next to Ryta for a while, and I could by the tears in Ryta's eyes tell it was something special for Ryta.

I’m not the best in sharing my Mom but now and earlier there was joy inside about my Mom being there for my friend. I understood that my Mom was very special.
 
 

up
153 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Ashley/Jack has a lot of

street avvy/wisdom that will help her out as shown when Johnny showed up like a bad penny. Glad that she has the faculty and students support, But there is still Johnny around to trouble her.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Hot damn, Girl

This is a wonderful story. I am truly caught up in it and waiting for more. You are really developing as a writer and it is so good to see. I'm excited for you.

Huggs,

Joani

Excellent Story

littlerocksilver's picture

Please see my PM.

Portia

Like Portia's style

She complimented what she saw as very good and used a personal message to share problems in the writing. I see that as a person with class and sincerely encouraging me to be a better writer.

Hugs, JessieC

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Superb!

Andrea Lena's picture

Thank you, dear heart!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Ashley's really doing well!

Nice to see a new chapter of this one Jess. I think Ashley's going to make a great therapist some day. Keep'em comin' hon. (Hugs) Taarpa