The Death of Angels - 5

Printer-friendly version
Karl’s hand crashed across my face and sent me to the ground and stepped to go past me as I rose and lunged at him with my sword…

You and Michael upset some powers greater than Karl’s wrath…

Glory would soon know of her unknown angelic powers. The first arrow she shot would strike down her intended target…

The Death of Angels
Chapter 5

by Jessica C.

Copyright © 2013 Jessica C
All Rights Reserved.

 


Image Credit: Picture purchased and licensed for use from

123rf.com. The model(s) in this image is in / and are no way connected with this story nor supports nor conveys the issues and situations brought up within the story. The model(s) use is solely used for the representation of looks of the main character(s) of this particular story. ~Sephrena


 
Chapter 5
 
 
The following day Karl tried to influence John Martin Michael’s boss to fire Michael and after he failed he came to the Cook’s house and threatened to walk over me to hurt Anne. I stepped back and reached over my head and began to draw a sword from my back.

Karl’s strength crashed across my face and sent me to the ground and stepped to go past me as I rose and lunged at him with my sword. He dropped to the floor bleeding as I withdrew my blade from his side. In his hand was a message that would implicate Levi; he had dropped it as he ran off.

Beth had entered the hall from the second floor above with a shotgun in her hand. I called out Suzanne’s name knowing she would hear me. I knew the trouble was not over. What I did not know was Levi had left Karl Conrad.

Levi had gone to Michael and Mr. Martin knowing Karl would make a threat against Michael. Michael and Levi had arrived at the house together. And the police would soon arrive at Mr. Martin’s request. Levi and I were able to convince Michael and Beth the problem was not over. We were sure the authorities would not take Levi seriously enough, but we're sure Karl would seek his revenge; I knew something worse than Karl would not stop either.

It was too late in the day to leave for our home near Salem. We did not want to be on the road if trouble came. Michael, Anne, Beth and I were prepared to stay awake through the night, but the small still voice within said: “You are protected, be at peace tonight.”
 
 
Come dawn we were packed and on the road and come noon we met Daniel and Susan on the road. We all returned to Salem. We all agreed we were better off on our own turf. I felt secure but my stomach was still sour. Michael would not tell Beth why, but he was surprised to see Carol at the house when we arrive home that night.

Carol asked, which made us think as well, “Why wasn’t Marie with us as well.” Carol used her gifts to ascertain where Marie was, having correctly thought she would likely be trying to run away. Carol had Marie choose the ports of Salem for her run and Carol met her in route and brought her to us, the Cooks. We apologized for not seeking her out and leaving her alone.

“We are sorry Marie; we think you are safest here and should not be alone.” Beth took Marie with her and Anne to sit down. A bed was brought into the main room so Marie could rest and yet remain in sight. Beth was nursing Anne. Dad and Michael went to take care of the livestock as well as to secure the horses.

They do not have Mom’s gifts and ability to meet spiritual adversaries. “Mom,” I spoke up, “Margie and I sense that Karl Conrad is in the area but he is holding back for some reason.”

“You are partly right; Karl is in the area and staying back. But it is because he may be the owner of a business but he is not boss in what is happening here. You and Michael upset some powers greater than him. But we have a surprise for them.”

“What’s that Mom,” Glory asked?

“Meric and at least one other angel are going to be here, so they will not be ready for their downfall. Especially since they don’t know you and I are also angels, nor about Carol’s abilities. ”

Carol contacted others in the Wiccan community in the area to either stay out of the dispute or help her us if they would. She had the agreement of all but two in the area and in her words. “I know their abilities and how they usually operate in case they decide to help the other side.”

“They are not likely to be in league with the spirits helping Karl Conrad, as those spirits are evil forces of death. Most Wiccans know better than to deal with them as they could as easily be a victim. Most Wiccans can be trusted to act according to their word that is not so with the dark spirits of death.

Many of those coming against us are either Karl’s workers or recruited thugs. Karl had brought along some young women to help motivate the men doing their nasty work as well as Karl’s attempt to snub Michael and his pesky sister Glory. Karl had plans to celebrate his victory spoiling me, Glory, transforming me into one of his sex slaves.

It was just before the attack would begin and things would get ugly. The thugs were sent around to attack from another side of the farm. Karl decided to show his men some of the prizes his men would get to enjoy as the spoils of their victory. What he did not know was one of the girls he recently took under his control was a young teen runaway who was trying to get back at her parents. Not having given her real name nor knowing Karl was her Dad’s boss; both father and daughter were surprised when they saw each other.

Things weren’t the same for all the workers when one of Karl’s victims was Max’s own daughter. Max, the father of the girl snatched his daughter and separated his daughter and himself from the group. Karl was furious and demanded others seize Max. Three of his co-workers took his side and stopped the others.
 
 
A school bell rang as the signal for the beginning of the attack and to Karl’s frustration his forces were diminished and disorganized as the attack began. Carol was prepared to seize the fruits of the division she had orchestrated. She met Max and promised to protect his daughter, suggesting it would be in their interest to make sure Karl was defeated. Though they were only four, they knew the plans and how to disrupt the attack.

Max and his friends were not interested in fighting against co-workers so they attacked the thugs from their flank. The Angel Joan and Susanne, Glory’s Mom Susan appeared to the hired thugs as warriors larger than life. Some of the attackers feared nothing thinking they were but ill-prepared women. Others fled in the direction of Max and his men to run around the large warriors. Both groups were running into trouble they were not prepared for. The wide swath of Joan’s sword cut through two men in one swing. Susanne threw a fiery ball not at the attacking men, but at a dark spirit hovering over them. Upon contact, it destroyed the spirit and send hot embers falling down on several of the men. The embers killed two and sent another retreating.

Susanne being of quick wit and liking to punish in accord with the crime she tossed three embers to hit three thugs just above their belts and falling into then pants. The men did not react in time to protect their private part.

The Angel Meric stayed with Glory, her dad and Michael to combat the forces coming from in front. There was a screeching howl above the attackers. The dark spirits had rallied other forces to attack in added strength; they were twirling in the air like tornadoes and intended to cast their fury upon the house as well as level the barn.

Meric and Glory both were armed with bows and Glory would soon know of her unknown angelic powers. The first arrow she shot would strike down her intended target, but the arrow had split off to become three arrows striking men on each side of her original target as well. Michael and Daniel had both looked in amazement. Meric’s arrow became two flaming arrows each flying high in the sky setting two tornados aflame, soon to lose their power and to fall to the ground as ashes. Ruach and another angel came as storms of wind and rain sending the remaining tornadoes off course and crashing into a group of attackers killing six of their own fighters. The rain was heavy enough to quickly make the farmstead a muddy yard.

Meric and Glory drew their swords and attacked walking above the mud. Their slashing swords were not seeking to kill or injure as much as to disarm the attackers stuck in the farmyard as well as to stop those retreating.

As the fighting subsided Carol brought forward Karl Conrad bound in rope with the troubled women under his control. One of the spirits that were caught and tied by Ruach screamed a curdling curse at Carol, “How dare you wicked witch cross us. Two of your brethren are in league with us and you betrayed them fighting with your adversaries! We will escape and seek revenge upon you and your family!”

Carol twirled and in doing so grew double in size, “You couple yourself with but weak learners. You are my adversary and your lack of discernment is your own undoing. Please, Ruach binds this one and cast it before your Prince that it may trouble us never again.”

With that Ruach grabbed the loose end of the binding rope, twirled the spirit and threw it high and out of sight, “Go into the presence of the Prince of Light and never cast a shadow on earth again.”

It was almost funny as the last words of that spirit were “You can’t…” All guessed the spirit was wrong. Soon from the back of the house Susanne and Joan appeared with seven of the hired thugs who had surrendered. From the West came Max and friends bringing but one survivor of those who tried to escape. Max said, “Two of their men are dead in the woods to the west, but three just vanished as they fled; we couldn’t find them nor their trail.”

Meric spoke up, “You couldn’t find them because they were not men at all but demons as three of these capture thugs.” With that, Meric threw a fiery ball at one who quickly became ashes. Two others disappeared and fled away, but Meric threw a fireball that hit one on his retreat and there was but a small explosion.”

Glory was back to her normal size and dressed in her normal clothes but as she saw Joan and realized who she was she bowed with a curtsey in recognition. The Angel Joan was the one Susan had mentioned as Joan of Arc.

“Don’t bow to me dear Glory, you have shown yourself to be a worthy warrior. How did y0u like killing those evil men?”

Glory without pause said, “I didn’t, I thought revenge would be sweet but it tastes bitter and I feel stained though no blood splattered on me.”

“Thus please never bow to me or anyone for doing that which is bittersweet. It might be needed and some might say righteous, but I look forward to a day it all ceases.” Joan took off her sword and as she laid it to the ground she became radiantly beautiful.

Joan turned toward Mom and pointed toward Carol, “You have convinced me that some perceived adversaries are but friends we do not understand. We like humankind create in our thoughts as would be enemies.”

Two men came out from the barn and looked to Carol like scared sheep. She addressed them, “You pathetic would be wizards: I would encourage you to leave this area or to stay away from me until you have become fitting to have a Wiccan identity. You heard the angel, learn who your real enemies are. If you come against me it will be you who taste the bitter end of my wrath.”

Dad got his cattle wagon and upon signing a confession Karl was thrown into the wagon along with his surviving workers and hired help to go back to the city to stand trial. Max and his friends were asked to identify any of the womyn they knew. They were allowed to take those identified back to the city to be rejoined with family or friends. The remaining two women were given the choice of staying with Carol or Susan. They both chose to stay with Carol whom they saw as their liberator.

They were asked to stay with Carol to learn skills and be educated enough to be on their own. One would become a Wiccan in practice, while the other a strong independent woman.

Mom and the other angels were off alone in my room so I went and checked. They were tending each other’s wounds to my surprise. I never thought of angels getting hurt, but they spoke of barbs that dug into them and were diminishing their strength and spirit. It was almost painful to see two barbs that had to be taken off my Mom.

I know she is actually Glory’s Aunt and not my Mom, but she has fully become my Mom. I was tearing up and about to cry when Joan took a hold of me and told me to cry. I wasn’t sure if I would have fainted or become sick, but I knew Joan’s presence made a difference.

As Mom sat up and moved to a chair, Joan asked me, “Glory I would like you to lie on your bed face down if you would.” As I did, I asked why. “Seemingly shock has kept you from noticing that you too have been hit. It has already started to fester in your tender skin.” There was a knock at the door; Margaret was checking on me and wanted in. Mom waved her in before I could say, ‘I didn’t want her to see me hurt.’

Margie was around the bed and holding my hand as Joan was tearing my blouse to get to my wound. “Ewe Glory that is nasty; I didn’t even know you were wounded.” She kissed me on the cheek and sat down next to me. “Is it okay if I stay here with her, she’s my best friend? But I will get something anything if you want.”

Joan smiled, “You two remind me of your mothers’ friendship. I am glad you have friends like each other.” Joan cupped her hands over my injury and I could feel the bar lifting out of my back and the feeling of warm water wash my wound. Joan asked, “Don’t move as I believe there is an even deeper barb that needs to come out.” I could feel her hands over the same area of my back. The second barb seemed to have a life of its own and struggled to stay in and tear at me. I heard a scream though it was muffled by Joan’s hands.

“Ewe, was that thing alive?” Joan closed her hands over it and rubbed her hands till sparks flew and smoke was all there was when she opened her hands.

“Yes, you were in for torment if it had its way with you,” Meric was now speaking and Mom was sitting alongside me.

“You shouldn’t have been fighting. I should have demanded you to stay in the house,” my Mom said in anguish.

Meric spoke up, “You know better Susanne. If it had been your husband or son the wound might have been fatal. Plus our part of the battle would have waged on longer if she had not fought for us. Trading her injuries for your husband or son or both was no small sacrifice but it was hers to make and she did well.”

Margaret asked, “Could you check Michael and Beth’s baby; I am not sure but I am worried something happened to her while we were in the house; though I couldn’t find any injury.” My Mom quickly opened the door and asked Beth to bring in Anne to show to the angels. Meric took hold of Beth and her baby as they entered the room.

Beth was startled and afraid, but her instinct told her to remain calm. She knew they were safe in Mom’s presence. Meric took the baby in its hands and laid Anne on his stomach and began to massage its back. Margie instinctively put a tub under the baby’s mouth just before something liquid dripped out into the bucket. Meric had been talking though seemingly the rest of us did not need to hear.

Meric turned Anne over and cradled her in his arms and gave him back over to Beth. “Beth, let me congratulate you, you have a little angel in Anne.” Beth thanked Meric while the rest of us looked to Meric to say more.

Meric asked in a gentle tone, “Beth, would it be okay if we placed our hands on you and the baby and asked God to bless you both?” Beth smiled and agreed with a calm spirit. Meric surprised Margaret and the rest of us by asking, “Margaret, I would like you to participate if you are willing.” Margaret looked like a kid in a candy store, though there weren’t many in the 1850s.

Margaret looked to my Mom, Aunt Susan do you think it would be okay with my Mom?” Mom shook her head up and down. Meric anointed Anne and Beth with oil though I was not sure where it came from. Then Meric began a prayer and my Mom ended it. The room brightened and the wind blew into the room.

Mom touched Beth and calmly said, “Beth, when Meric told you Anne’s an angel he wasn’t just complimenting you.”

Beth looked up to Mom and smiled, “Mom, I know. I’ve suspected it for a while but I didn’t know how to tell Michael as he says he is not.”

“I am glad to know I am not going crazy.” Joan hugged Beth and Anne lifting them up in her arms. “When you were praying and the room brightened was that God in the Holy Spirit?”

Mom asked, “Were you able to see the spirit fall upon you and Anne?”

Beth responded, “I didn’t understand why me too?”

Joan answered, “You may not be an angel but nevertheless you are a precious servant and child of God.” Joan looked toward Margaret and then me, “You two are sisters of the spirit; I charge you Glory never to allow the ember of your relationship ever grow cold. If you ever think you are too busy, please take that as a warning that you are growing weak.”

I was embarrassed that Joan felt a need to tell me this in front of Margaret and the others. But, I sensed Joan knew my ego for I did think I would outgrow our friendship. I understood what Joan said was important for me to take to heart.
 
 
It dawned on me that everyone must be hungry and we womyn were all in my room. No preparations for a meal had begun. I spoke, “Mom, we need to get a meal together and we haven’t even begun.”

Mom laughed and looked to the others, “We have a banquet set up in the barn and we are just waiting for the Evans family to arrive.” I stood up and went to get one of my two remaining blouses to wear. Margaret stared at me and as I began to button my blouse I realized my breasts had developed more since I was visiting Michael and Beth. I smiled back at Margie and once I buttoned my blouse I gave her a hug.
 
 
We took hold of each other’s hands and ran out of my room and out the front door to the barn. Sure enough, a feast of two turkeys and some fish were being placed on the table by people I did not know. There were bowls of blueberries and blackberries as well as corn and garden vegetables. Dad came walking from the milking parlor with two buckets of milk. I asked, “Where did these people come from who prepare the meal?”

Dad smiled, “I guess you would say your Mom’s other family.”

Something inside of me tingled and I looked around. I was looking for someone I had never seen, though she gave Glory life. The other side of the barn was a woman watching us. She looked like Mom, but also like me but older. There was a girl next to her about my age. I ran to her and her arms opened to embrace me. “Mommy is that you,” I asked though I knew?

My Mom felt damp, but today was the last day she would feel that way. Seeing Glory today closed the chapter on the day she was drowned at Salem and Glory went to hide under the blankets of the bed.

Abigail, my birth Mom introduced Gloria and I knew I was looking at the great ancestor of Gloria Peace, a girl Ronnie knew in the 1950s. Here I was talking of Ronnie as someone else and not me and thinking of Glory being me.

Gloria spoke up, “I know my Mom has been waiting to see you and that you are her daughter from long ago. I do not understand how God does things, but I know you being alive gives our Mom great joy.”

“I know in a way we are sisters, but we need to act like cousins.” With that Gloria gave me a hug and I began to cry as my arms embrace her as well. “I hope some summer or holiday you can come and stay a while.”

Mama embraced us both and while I was yet crying I felt Mom Susan giving us a hug as well. I felt the warm drop of tears falling on my shoulder.

Here I was a child of a home torn and broken by abuse; now cuddling in the arms of two mothers who love me. I was a boy of the 1950s but now a girl in the 1850s. Chills ran down my spine with the thought of what if God would want me to go back to being Ronnie. But then there was the hopeful thought: but God has called me to be an angel. Surely God’s plans have something good in store for me.

Mom, Susan, whispered in my ear, “You have a life to live here and Joan has charged you to remain as Margaret’s sister.”

There was a tap on my shoulder and it was Margaret. I reached into my blouse to get my handkerchief to dab my eyes. “Mom… Aunt Abigail, I want to introduce to you my best friend Margaret Evans.”

Abigail looked at Margaret, “I knew of your Great-Grandmother Carolyn.”

Margaret hugged Abigail and she cried, “I think our family is indebted to you for our lives.”

“The mob was set on killing me that day. I was no heroine; I just thought there was no need for both of us to die...” “Glory holds you in the same esteem I held Carolyn. She always had a joyful song to sing, next to Glory it was one of the joys I missed. It is something, Hatred speaks of the stench of one’s adversaries, but it was an injustice that caused Salem to stink back then.”

I asked Mom, “Can my Mama and Gloria stay tonight. They can sleep in my room; Mama can sleep in the bed and Gloria and I can sleep on the floor?” Susan smiled and asked Abigail if they would stay overnight.

“Glory why don’t you set two more places so Abigail and Gloria can sit and eat with us. As excited as you are to see your Mama and your sister I hope you will remember and give attention to our other guests as well,” Mom said it as she pulled me in for a hug.

Susan has been the only Mom I knew who watched, cared and loved me. I knew she felt hurt because I was so excited to see my Mama. I wanted to say something even something simple like: ‘I love you’, but I didn’t. I let go and got busy getting some things for more people to sit on. Then I went into the house and told the others I thought we were ready to eat.
 
 
After the supper, I asked Abigail, “Mom, what was it like to die here so long ago?”

“I was hoping God would miraculously save me and I hoped that someone would find you safely nestled down at the foot of the bed. I had only given birth to you hours before and I was nursing you when I heard our dog bark. I instinctively knew it was not good and I would need to choose between Carolyn and me. I wasn’t willing to be tied to another person’s death.

They chose to use a dunking chair to get me to confess to being a witch or to tell them who was. I was sure either way I would be killed. I had already been held under the water three times. My lungs just about burst the last time and I was becoming weaker. Several stones had been thrown at me before and this time it was a rock hitting my right cheekbone. I was crying in pain and my mouth wasn’t fully closed when I went under.

Joan appeared at my side and she asked me to think of nursing you. I did and when I woke again I was in heaven but you were on earth. God told me you were safe and that we would see each other again, but I had to wait…”

“I was so excited when Susan wrote me saying you Glory were taken by Sara Jenkins and raised to become a fine girl and now you are growing into a beautiful young woman. I hope you will have the joy of knowing love and giving birth and raising your own children.”

“I know you have had the excitement of being a warrior, but I hope you do not need to travel that path again. Joan told me she will be your aunt and talk to you of paths to journey.”

“But I have been a boy named Ronnie and Susan says I’m my family ancestors lost their faith and vision during or after the civil war that is coming. How can you expect me to remain as Glory?”

“God knows the brokenness felt by your family. You need to trust God to help heal and restore your family. It may be soon or in another generation or two, but I believe God will work through you and you will be united as a healing force to your family.
 
 
 
Cast of Characters
 
Ronnie/ Glory

Mrs. Jenkins — the old lady

Susan and Daniel Cook Susanne the Angel

Laddie — Our dog

Abigail — Glory’s mom an angel killed at Salem unjustly

Gloria Peace — A descendant living in Shalom in the 1950s

Margaret, Abby, and Todd- friends at school

Miss Gail — Teacher at Adams country school

Carol Evans — Margaret’s Mom an old friend to Susan

Abraham and Mary — Free Blacks

Russell Cook — Distant cousin and friend of dad’s

Michael and Beth and Anne — My married brother, his wife, and baby

Levi — A friend in Peabody

Meric, Ruach, Joan - Angels


 
 
To Be Continued...
 

If you enjoyed my story, please consider leaving a comment. Comments, no matter how brief, are much appreciated. I also welcome any constructive criticism to help improve my writing. ~Jessica

 

up
80 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The battle between the twain

armies are right out of Christian fiction and Biblical Lore. Most any studio would have fun with the special effects and costumes with actors/actresses and stunt doubles hamming it up. That being said, the link to the Bible is what I like best.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Thanks for your comment

I understand what you are saying, but it is not right out of traditional thinking. I hope there is a significant difference. I do not see faith and beliefs as exclusively of a particular group. I have no trouble embracing what I believe or see in the realm of possibility. But life and friends have helped me to take off the blinders to other possibilities.

JessieC

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Hi Jess!

I finally got around to reading this one. Nice chapter hon. Looks like Glory's starting to understand the family heritage and how she's going to fit in it. Your doing good, keep'em comin'sweetie. (Hugs) Taarpa