Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1997

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1997
by Angharad

Copyright © 2013 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

I pulled up outside the station and James pecked me on the cheek, “Thanks for the meal and the lift–not so sure about the rant–but when you stop thinking all men are rapists or bastards, give me call.”

“I didn’t mean it like that–I don’t think all men are sex fiends or bastards–I guess I just got a bit het up about the assault on the boys and its consequences.”

“From what I saw, Danny seems to be coping quite well.”

“He still has the odd nightmare.”

“Yeah, not surprising really–but he knows the two who attacked them can’t touch them again–doesn’t he?”

“His head knows it, his body doesn’t.”

James gave me a very strange look–“I’ll have to think about that, my train will be here in minute, I’ve got to go.” He pecked me again and trotted into the station, waving as he turned into the entrance. I locked the doors and started up the engine.

As I turned out of the car park, I saw a melee of bodies on the pavement. The headlights showed two men were kicking someone else who was on the pavement. They saw the white Jaguar slowing down and ran off, I presumed they thought it was a police car. I pulled up alongside the person on the ground. It was a girl–she was dressed like a tart but she was trying to get up and kept falling down. There also appeared to be a fair amount of blood around. Now what do I do? I couldn’t do nothing–which meant I had to do something.

I stopped the car and got out carefully, grabbing a handful of tissues as I did. I glanced around but the two attackers had run off. The woman was now sitting on the pavement. I handed her the tissues. And she held them against her face–it seemed much of the blood was coming from her nose and mouth.

“D’you want me to call an ambulance or the police?” I asked.

“No police.”

“Ambulance then?”

“No–I’ll be alright.”

“You don’t look alright to me.”

“Just gimme a few minutes, okay?”

“I’ve got some water in the car–want some?”

“Yeah–I mean, please.”

I reached into the back of the car and pulled out one of the bottles of water I’d bought earlier. “Here,” I said handing it to her.

She accepted it, asked me to unscrew the top and then washed out her mouth. “The bastards–I only just got that one crowned last week–cost two hundred friggin’ quid.”

“Working girl, are you?”

“No I always dress like this when I go to the dentist, don’t you?”

“No, I always have my kids with me.”

“Yeah, so?”

I ignored the question and considered I should have ignored the earlier one. She washed out her mouth again and spat the water out onto the pavement. Passersby were curious but not curious enough to offer help, they just crossed the road or gave us a wide berth.

I tuned into her–she had a broken nose, two smashed teeth and a couple of cracked ribs. She needed to be seen by a doctor or trauma nurse.

“Let me take you to casualty.”

“No thanks, lady, nice of you to offer–but I’ll be okay. I usually am.” She reached for something on the pavement and I saw her pick up two teeth, she shoved them in her jacket pocket.

Seeing her reminded me of my first meeting with Julie. This was a biological woman, though her frequent abortions meant she was no longer fertile, which might have been an advantage in her case. She wore two much makeup, her skirt was far too short and her shoes were ridiculously high, even with the platforms. I’d let the girls try some on in New Look, the other week and they’d clopped round the shop giggling.

They did finally goad me into wearing some and showing them how to walk in them, which I did. However, I wouldn’t like to walk more than a few yards in them because they were so damned uncomfortable. Perhaps I was just getting old or something?

“If you sit there much longer you’ll get piles,” I suggested to the woman.

“I already got some, courtesy of my kid.”

“Let me take you up to the hospital.”

“No friggin’ way, I’ve had enough abuse for one night.”

“They won’t abuse you at the hospital.”

She laughed at my remark, “Lady, you are so naíve, what d’ya think they’ll do, roll out the red carpet?”

“They’ll stop the bleedin’ and kick me out like they done last time, okay? They don’t want junkies an’ prossies clutterin’ up their waitin’ room.”

“And you come into both categories, don’t you?”

“So? What’s it to you?”

“And what does Emily think of that?” The name just came to me.

“You leave my Emily out of it or I’ll knock your effin’ ’ead off.”

“Gillian, that is no way to speak to me.”

“How d’you know my name.”

“I know a lot about you.”

“Who are you?”

“Does that matter?”

“Too friggin’ right it do.”

“Press hard on your nose–now.” I said quietly but firmly, she did, squealed and then gasped.

“I can breathe again. How’d ya do that?”

“Stand up, Gillian.”

“I can’t ya daft bitch, they done my ribs–I ’eard ’em go.”

“Stand up, Gillian–now.” I clapped my hands and she saw the blue flash and felt something pushing her up from the pavement.

“Geez-uzz, what the freak are you?”

“Your piles should feel easier now–go home, dump the drugs and call this number tomorrow–there’ll be a proper job available–if you love Emily enough to take it.”

“What if I don’t?”

“She’ll be an orphan in less than a year.”

“Who are you?”

“A friend, good bye, Gillian,” I got back into my car and drove away while she looked blankly at the ground and thus unable to remember my car number. I didn’t fix her teeth, although they would miraculously restore themselves if she went for the job. I wasn’t judging her, but as a receptionist, she’d need to have a pleasant smile–the job was at the hotel–I’d call the manager when I got home and ask him nicely to offer her the job on a probationary basis. I knew she was more than capable of doing it–she’d worked at the Grosvenor before she got pregnant.

How did I know all this? I didn’t, it was as if someone was telling me her details as I stood beside her–weird or what? But then I should be used to weird by now. I drove home and went to call the manager of the hotel in Southsea–he’d be half expecting my call.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
227 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Oy!

There's nothing wrong with platforms!!!

Bevs.

XXX

bev_1.jpg

Not if one has flat feet

I hate any heels over 2.5 inches these days.

Kim

Indeed.

It's be a hell of a climb to get on the train without them :)

Robi

A Guardian Angel?

Cathy's got a soft spot as large as a continent. No wonder her family and her 'family' keep growing.

And, I'm down to 3-inch heels ... well 4-inch with 1-inch platforms. It's my concession to old age. I used to wear 4-inch at work, and 5-inch for play, but I've slowed down a lot.

Red MacDonald

Poor Kid.

I wonder if that will turn the kid around or not. I hope so.

Nice epi

Gwendolyn

With Cathy helping young

Gillian, no doubt that those two animals will show up to cause her trouble. Who is Emily's sperm donor? [Any male who abandons the mother of their child does not deserve the title of dad or father.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Miserable Excuses For Human Beings

"Sperm donor" or "birth chamber", neither is what we would call an upstanding individual. Sex and reproduction are VERY serious business. If you can't provide for offspring: physically, emotionally, and financially, do not conceive them!

Mr. Obama's recent remark about it taking a Man to nurture, guide, and protect a child, as opposed to simply conceiving one, is spot on. Teenaged boys and girls can produce viable gametes. That fact hardly qualifies them to be parents.

G/R

Hmmm...

Some interesting things you bring up here... I do wonder, at times.

Some folks who get "down" don't see any way to climb back up and stay down there... A few of them, if offered a "hand" will bat it away. Others will grasp it and pull (attempting to pull others down to their level). While others will grab it and use it to climb back out of the pit they've been in. Which will she be? Time (and the author) may tell us.

As to platforms... I never got into them back in the '70s (though my younger brother did) and haven't really seen any need today... (At 5'8"-9" (~174cm), I really don't need an extra five (5) inches most of the time. And, my legs aren't nice enough for that to help any.)

Thanks,
Annette

P.S. Comment delayed as I needed to think about this one...

Even doing

someone a favour seems to lead Cathy into helping sort out another tragic by product of society , Gillian does seem a little ungrateful at the moment, But i wonder when and if we get the chance to see her later, Whether she will have taken up Cathys offer...Perhaps the fact that she now fees a lot better in herself will lead Gillian to recognize that for once in her life the gods really do seem to be on her side..

Kirri

I MISS THIS

For the years I did readings, it was common place for me to feel the surge of information, to be shared with the people sitting in front of me. I had only two people in 5 years get up and run away, when the information I received got to close for there comfort. I knew I had no way of knowing this information my self, and the contact with the spiritual guides was electrifying. I got lot of feed back from people who did use some of my advice. The guardians did not predict the future this is determined by the persons own action, and understanding the clues offered to them, the clues only they could understand I could only give them a snapshot of the decisions surrounding them, and maybe the best quality's to look for in the decisions.
I just wish I had Catherin's healing connections, it would be an honor to serve, but that is me, and we all know I am a bit Different. (strange)

Huggles
Michele

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif