Somewhere Else Entirely -79-

Printer-friendly version

Garia's investigation into the fighting between her new maids reveals a deeper, darker secret, one which she must drop everything to resolve. Out of her depth, she calls in help from the town assembly. The evil-doers are confronted, but there is an unexpected side-effect...

Somewhere Else Entirely

by Penny Lane

79 - Staffing problems


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2011-2013 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



Jenet knocked at the chamber door and let herself in. Garia and Merizel were just beginning to think about getting out of bed, having talked for a short while after waking.

"Good morning, Milady, Milady Merizel."

"Morning, Jenet," Merizel said breezily. "What's the day like?"

"Fair, milady, with some sun, though the early mornings are getting noticeably cooler now. What has milady planned for today?"

Garia groaned. "More meetings, I guess. There's that letter from the Queen to read and Brydas wants to talk to me about coke-making." She ran a hand through her hair, pushing it off her face. "I need a trim, Jenet. Do we know who does such things in Blackstone?"

"I do not, milady, though I have already seen two of the local girls with hair cut to the same style as yourself. Doubtless Master Brydas may know who provides such services."

"Hah!" Merizel was dismissive. "He's a man. He won't have much to do with the care of women's hair, especially since he's been a widower for some years. You'll get more out of Senidet, I think."

"As you say, milady."

"Oh, there's that business with the two girls to sort out," Garia remembered. "Jenet, you haven't noticed anything between them, have you?"

"They do argue, milady, between themselves. To myself they show only respect and they are both good workers. Between the three of us the work is easily done, we are not overstretched at all." Jenet hesitated before continuing, "There is one thing, milady. Jasinet bears stripes upon her back."

Garia had a mental vision of a strange sub-species of human with tiger-like stripes before Jenet's meaning connected.

"Wait, you mean she has whip marks? Is that right?"

"I do not know if they are whip or rod, milady, or something of the like, but aye, there are at least four marks there. I only noticed them by accident as we worked yesterday."

"My God! Who would do such a thing? And why?"

"None of us, that is certain," Merizel said. She pointed out, "That would explain why she is reluctant to get in the bath with us, Garia."

"You're right." Garia's eyes narrowed in thought. "That might also explain her behavior, if she is being pressured to do whatever she is doing."

She swung her feet onto the floor and sat on her mattress facing Merizel. "Right. What do you suggest we do about it?"

"You were going to speak to Brydas about the problem," Merizel reminded her. "That may still be the best way of finding out more before you have to take any action."

Garia nodded. "We can still do that, but we'll be facing Jasinet before then." She looked at Jenet. "Where is she now?"

"She is filling the bathtub ready for us, milady. It is possible she has already bathed, so as to avoid us seeing her injuries."

Garia considered and then shook her head. "Best we let things lie until after breakfast. There's no sense investigating this until we're all washed, dressed and fed for the morning."

"And which attire shall you choose today, milady?"

"Hmm, that's an interesting one, I think. We'll be doing the Tai Chi as usual afterwards but I want to get to the bottom of this. Find me a normal gown with a big enough skirt I can do the Tai Chi, please, Jenet."

Merizel raised an eyebrow. "Not exercise gear, then."

Garia grinned. "No. I think that today I need to put my Baroness's hat on. Let's go get in that bath."

~o~O~o~

After the crowd now attending Tai Chi had dispersed, Garia asked Merizel and the three maids to join her in the room next to the Womens' Stair she had begun using as an office. Since Lanilla had appeared just as breakfast had started the two younger girls had kept a cool distance between themselves, preferring to conduct their duties in silence. Now they both looked apprehensive as Jenet closed the door on the group, since it was obvious why the meeting had been called.

"It seems there was an incident yesterday while I was out riding," Garia began. "Either of you want to tell me about it?"

"Milady," Lanilla replied, "I was pleating your skirt with an iron but... Jasinet said I shouldn't do it like that. She said there was a better way and she tried to push me off. I had to drop the iron so I wouldn't get burned but..." she looked extremely guilty, "...it fell on the skirt and burned it, milady."

There was an intake of breath from Jenet, who of course had been out with Garia.

Jasinet looked truculent but frightened. "Milady, it wasn't like that! She wasn't holding the iron properly, it was bound to slip from her hand!"

"But you did try to take it from her, then?" Garia asked.

Jasinet repeated, "Milady, it wasn't like that!"

"Okay, let's move on. What happened next?"

The two girls just looked at each other, silent.

Merizel said, "Sookie called me and said these two were fighting. I think it was mostly words but I didn't see so I can't be sure. When I got there both were separated, crying. They both began making accusations against the other but I couldn't make sense of any of it so I decided to keep them apart. In the end it seemed better to send Lanilla home to her parents for the night."

"Why Lanilla?"

Merizel shrugged. "No particular reason, Garia, except that Jasinet seems to be the one who starts these arguments so I wanted her here where someone could keep an eye on her." She thought. "I suppose I could have sent one of them to help Sookie rather than sending her home but I didn't think of that yesterday, I was busy."

Garia regarded the two. Their faces were pale, drawn. They both knew that what they had been doing would probably result in the dismissal of one or both of them, and when the news got out their family reputations would probably go down the pan. Not funny in a small town like this where everyone knew everybody's business.

There's something more going on here. Is Lanilla just too stupid to do the work? She seems able to do whatever Jenet has given her but what do I know? Even after living in the palace for months I still have little idea how this system works.

...Then there's Jasinet. If Jenet has seen whip marks they must be fairly recent which means since she began working here... what does this mean? I'm supposed to be the one in charge and I have no clue how to handle this.

"Lanilla," she began, "is it your wish to remain here with us? Do you find the work hard? Are you not being treated right?"

Lanilla fell to her knees. "Oh, My Lady! I like it here with you! I have learned so much and I want to go on learning." The tears started to fall. "I beg of you! Please don't send me back to my family!"

Garia remembered that Lanilla had more or less admitted that her family was one of the poorer in the town and that finding a position for a daughter probably meant more food for the rest. Sending her back would not be a charitable thing to do to any of them. Besides, Lanilla wasn't the disruptive party here.

"Rise, please. I have no intention of sending either of you home, at least not until I have figured out what is really going on here."

Jasinet looked even more frightened as Garia switched her attention to her.

She is frightened... but not of me!

Garia opened her mouth to speak but stopped, shaking her head.

"Merry, I don't know how to do this."

"If you would permit me, Garia?" Merizel turned to the girls and addressed them. "Milady Garia finds this business hard to handle because she is not a noble born. Where she comes from, far away, they have no nobles at all and therefore no servants or retainers either. I, however, am familiar with the customs of Palarand since my father is a baron. Girl!"

Jasinet's eyes widened and she sank, soundless, to her knees.

"It has been said throughout the building that you are awkward and argumentative, seeking to find fault with your fellow under-maid's work whenever you can. What have you to say for yourself?"

Jasinet trembled. "Milady, I tried only to do the best work I could. If there is anything I have done wrong I am sorry for it. Lanilla doesn't... Lanilla doesn't know how to do many of her duties properly so I have tried to help her."

Merizel's eyes flicked to Jenet. "Jenet, what is your opinion of Lanilla's work?"

"Milady, I can find no fault with it. The work that both girls do is certainly adequate for our present circumstances."

Garia took that to mean that, considering they were new hires and just learning the business far from the structured environment of castle or palace, she was satisfied with what they did.

Merizel continued to Jasinet, "I have heard that there are marks on your back. How did they come there?"

Jasinet looked absolutely terrified. "Milady, an accident. I shall be more careful in future."

Garia was beginning to fume. Jasinet was patently attempting to cover something up, but what?

"Okay, I think I've heard enough," she said. "Everybody upstairs, now, our bed chamber."

"Milady?" Jasinet was fear-stricken.

"Get off your knees, Jasinet. It's time for the truth."

The five trooped up the Womens' Stair and into Garia and Merizel's chamber. Once the door was closed Garia turned to Jasinet.

"Right. Strip."

Horrified, Jasinet backed against the wall. "Milady, I dare not."

"Girl," Merizel commanded, "Your liege has bade you remove your clothes. Do so now."

Once Jenet had helped Jasinet out of her gown and bodice she stood in front of them wearing only a pair of tie-side panties. The others stared in horrified silence at the weals across her back and down her buttocks.

"Who did this?" Garia grated out.

Jasinet shook her head, the tears streaming down her face. "Milady, I dare not say."

"Girl," Merizel said, gently, "you are a sworn retainer of Baroness Blackstone now. You have been greviously assaulted. An assault on you is an assault on her honor. Do you not understand? She will protect you, as will I." Fiercely, "As will every man under this roof, do you understand me? Tell her who did this thing to you."

Jasinet broke down completely, sobbing into her hands. Garia strode across and comforted her. Her first touch made the girl flinch but she did not resist Garia's embrace. Jenet came and wrapped a fluffy robe around Jasinet's shoulders to try and keep her warm.

After a while Garia spoke quietly. "You are not to blame, Jasinet. If you are being forced to do something against your will, you cannot be to blame. Now, was it your own decision to become a maid here with me?"

Jasinet nodded without looking up. "Aye, milady, it was."

"Then who beat you? Does your family disapprove of you coming here?"

A quick shake of the head. "No, milady, my family wanted me to -" She stopped.

"Did they want you out of the house, perhaps? One less mouth to feed, is that it?"

Another shake of the head. "No, milady, just the opposite. They were proud for me to take service with you. They wanted me to -" Again she stopped.

Garia was puzzled, and by Merizel's expression she couldn't work it out, either. Then a realization began to come.

"Wait a moment." She stood away from Jasinet and looked the girl in the eye. "You wanted to be the only maid we took on, right? That's why you kept finding fault with Lanilla's work, wasn't it?"

Jasinet nodded silently, her expression miserable. Jenet handed her a cloth to wipe her face with.

"But that was not your idea, was it? You were just happy to be here. So, was it your father beat you, then? Made you try and get rid of Lanilla?"

Another shake of the head, but the expression was uncertain. Wondering, perhaps, if she had made a mistake by not confiding in Garia from the beginning.

"Your mother?" Merizel asked, incredulous. "Your mother did this to her own daughter?"

The tears came again, in floods. Jenet made Jasinet sit on one of the beds and helped wipe her face as the girl, clearly distraught, continued sobbing.

Garia turned to Jenet. "Jenet, go and get Sookie to make us some pel. Bring it up yourself, please."

Jenet curtseyed. "As you command, milady." She went out, closing the door behind her.

Garia sat on the bed beside Jasinet, putting an arm around the girl.

"Now, we're going to find out what happened in the end so you might as well come clean right away. I mean, tell us everything. I don't know what you've heard about the way nobles behave but I've no intention of beating you to make you talk. Now, it's better that you tell us so that we get the facts right and don't go accusing innocent people of things they haven't done. If you're being forced to do something you don't like we can fix that. If there's somebody who is doing bad things to you it is better that they are stopped now before they do bad things to anyone else, isn't it?"

Jasinet nodded. "As you say, milady." But she was clearly unhappy about implicating one or both of her parents.

"Okay. Let's take this slowly. I know it isn't going to be easy for you to tell us what you need to."

By the time Jenet had returned with five cups of pel they had the gist of it. Her father, the town's shoemaker, was on the town assembly and her mother fancied her family as one of the movers and shakers in Blackstone. When Garia had need for extra domestic staff her parents had seen their daughter as a way of gaining influence with the new liege lady. A maid inside the camp would provide them with valuable intelligence they could use to perhaps manipulate their fortunes in the future.

Just as they had manipulated their fortunes when Trogan had come to town.

Garia suddenly had a nasty taste in her mouth, one the pel didn't quite get rid of. Mother, father or both had deliberately forced their daughter to take a maid's position so that she could gain both inside information and increase the influence the parents might obtain through having her in place.

It looked like the parents had tried the same system on Trogan to avoid the worst of the excesses he and his men had visited on the hapless locals. In that case Jasinet's older brother had been the one chosen as a means to buy influence. By sucking up to Trogan they had profited from the town's misery and protected themselves from his depredations.

They had never realized, though, that Trogan was an imposter. All along they had thought he was a legally appointed official with the power to do whatever he wished. All that had ended when Garia had come to town. Once the dust had settled and it became clear that she was genuine, they had switched their attentions to her.

Garia sighed. "Jasinet. I dare not send you back to your parents, given the circumstances. If you wish to remain in my service you may do so."

"Milady, I do! Whatever the desires of my parents I came willingly to work for you."

Garia held up a hand. "If I keep you, then you and Lanilla must make an agreement. No more fights or arguments about how to do things, understand? If there is a problem, then Jenet shall give the answer and she will be obeyed. Is that clear?"

Jasinet's lip trembled. "As you command, My Lady. It was all I wanted to do anyway." The girl turned to Lanilla, who had been silently watching the whole mess unfold. "Lanilla, I never wanted to cause you harm. My parents -" she licked her lips. "I want to serve My Lady the way she should be served, not the way my family insisted I behaved. I was wrong to argue with you and I am sorry for what I did."

Lanilla replied, "I have seen the stripes on your back and I do not blame you for what you were forced to do." There was a twitch of a smile. "There were times that you were right and I was wrong in any case. With Mistress Jenet to guide us we shall both learn the proper way to serve milady."

Garia said, "Thank you, Lanilla. I don't expect you to become friends but at least you can learn to work alongside each other. Now, I think it is time Jasinet put her clothes back on. Unless -" she looked a question at Jenet. "What do you think? Should she have some ointment on those wounds?"

"They do not hurt so much, milady," Jasinet said. "It is three days since they were made."

"You are sure? We can give you something, cover it all up with a bandage?"

In the end Jenet smeared some ointment on the marks and wound a strip of linen round to prevent it coming off on her clothing. Once Jasinet was fully dressed again Garia was forced to consider the next step.

"I don't suppose I can avoid facing her parents, can I?"

"No, Garia," Merizel judged. "As I said earlier, one of your retainers has been physically assaulted, aside from any other consideration. It is up to you how quickly you wish to handle the matter, and how." She frowned. "I don't think I know how such a matter should be judged, though. I can't think of a similar incident my father had to handle. Perhaps we should speak to Master Brydas and Master Jepp?"

"A good idea. Let's go and find them. The sooner this business is dealt with the better, I think."

When they reached the courtyard Brydas, Bleskin, Feteran and Keren were talking in a group which also included Stott, Tedenis and Briswin. The latter three were holding longbows of varying lengths. Brydas came across to Garia when they appeared.

"Milady! Good morning to you, and to you, Milady Merizel. I understand you wished to see me urgently." His eyes looked over the maids, not failing to see that the two young girls had been crying. "Something is wrong, milady?"

"Something is very wrong, Master Brydas. I'll have need of you, His Highness, Captain Bleskin and his son and we'll also need Master Jepp, if somebody can run and fetch him."

Ten people somehow found space in the room Garia used as her office. She outlined what they had discovered. Keren winced when Jenet described the whip marks and the other men were definitely shocked.

"What do I do?" Garia asked. "I need advice."

Jepp was the first to speak. "Milady, you are right, this is a clear assault upon one of your personal staff. Even though she was assaulted by one or both of her parents they have no authority for such an action and must be punished for the crime."

"Do not parents have authority over their own children?" Feteran asked.

"The maiden Jasinet is accounted an adult, commander. If she had not taken service with the baroness then her parents would ward her until she took a husband but that does not give them authority to strike her. Because she has taken service with the baroness they no longer have rights over her at all, those rights passed to Milady Garia when Jasinet made her oath."

"This is true of all her retainers, Master Jepp?"

"Aye, commander. That is the basis of noble custom and law."

Feteran made a wry smile. "Life was so much simpler when I was just a guardsman at the palace. It seems we all have much to learn."

Bleskin said, "You must needs sit at court, milady, and judge this matter."

"I know, captain, but I don't know the procedure or what the penalties might be or anything like that."

Keren said, "You dealt with those bandits easily enough, Garia."

"That was different, Keren. It was fairly clear what they had done and what the penalty would be. Those were..." felonies. "...state crimes against state organizations. This is a mother beating her daughter."

"It's also a crime against your honor, Garia," Merizel pointed out. "It's not just a simple domestic problem. You can't afford to let anyone get away with doing something like this."

"She's right," Bleskin agreed. "It strikes at your authority, milady. To attempt to suborn a member of your staff is a serious matter."

"But what should I do?"

"It is Jasinet's mother we accuse with this crime? Not her father?"

"No, sir," Jasinet confirmed softly. "To my shame it was my mother did this deed."

"Not so, young woman," Bleskin said stoutly. "The shame is hers, not yours."

"I think," Jepp said slowly, "that we must take into account that our liege is young and female." To Keren's raised eyebrow he explained, "Were Jasinet the servant of such as the Lord Trosanar or even the Lord Gilbanar then one could imagine they would use the full force of their position to exact a suitable punishment. Time in the cells, perhaps. A flogging of her own, in public. The effect of such a punishment should Lady Garia decree it would be different since many would see it as the capricious whim of a young woman. In their eyes she would be little better than the bandit Trogan."

Keren nodded. "I see what you mean. I cannot deny that Garia and I are judged differently since we are both so young and inexperienced. Have you a suggestion?"

"Perhaps a stiff fine, Highness. This will demonstrate that milady does not take the insult lightly but shows she is not vindictive."

"Agreed," Garia said. "We have to remember that both father and mother plotted to gain influence and a fine would hit both in the pocket. Uh, I mean it will hit the finances of both. If they stop, good enough, but if this continues then they can't say they weren't warned about their conduct. When shall we do it? After lunch? And where? Do we want to set up in the courtyard again?"

Jepp shook his head. "Milady, that will not be necessary. The whole town had an interest in seeing Trogan and his men brought to justice which was why we used the courtyard. I believe your common room will suffice for this afternoon's court." He smiled. "Besides, it will be warmer."

~o~O~o~

Garia's men took station inside the cleared common room. Two took position either side the front and rear doors while the final two stood behind the principals at one end of the room. Keren and Garia were both wearing their sashes and badges of office. On the bench either side of them sat Bleskin, Brydas, Jepp and Fedren, the last three being there as town representatives. There were a few locals sitting on benches facing them since rumor had gone round that something interesting would happen this afternoon. Seated to one side behind a table was Merizel, who was waiting to take notes with reed and paper in front of her. Jenet, Lanilla and Jasinet were concealed in the cubbyhole from where Sukhana usually served out the drinks. Sukhana was with them, protecting them in case anything happened. She couldn't fight the way Garia did but a lifetime's experience of the caravans meant that she had a few tricks of her own should it become necessary.

The front doors opened and Briswin entered, followed by Jasinet's parents and then Tedenis. Garia had opted to send the two boys to summons the shoemaker and his wife in order not to alarm them. They had merely been 'requested to attend a session of milady's court' at the Ptuvil's Claw. When they entered the room they saw only what they expected to see.

The two walked towards Garia's bench and made obeisance. Both were dressed in their best clothes, the father in a smart tunic of expensive cloth with his Shoemaker's Guild chain proudly displayed around his neck. When he removed his cap Garia could see that he had spent some time attending to his hair, presumably to project the effect he wanted of a prosperous town tradesman.

His wife was dressed in a sumptuous gown of deep red satin. Unfortunately the effect was somewhat spoiled by the design which even Garia could tell was dated. She had seen enough styles in the palace wardrobe to have gained at least some idea of how fashions had changed in recent years. Out here it would have been impossible for the woman to know that. There was a thin, jeweled silver band holding back her carefully-coiffed hair, elaborate earrings sparkled from each ear, her wrists both had golden bracelets and a complex necklace of gold studded with gems lay on her ample chest.

"Milady," the man said, bowing again, "thank you for inviting us to your court. We are pleased that you are able to find time to meet the people of Blackstone, and that we are among the first you have invited."

"Thank you for coming," Garia replied.

"As you know, our daughter Jasinet has taken service with you as your personal maid," the man continued. "I trust you have found no fault with her service? We have brought her up to faithfully do whatever duty we have asked of her."

"If you will, I shall speak of your daughter's conduct in a moment. Regrettably I have a particular reason for requesting your presence here today. One of my retainers has laid charges of assault against her person by your wife."

There was shock and bemusement on the man's face and disbelief from the woman.

She spoke. "Milady, there must be some mistake! Whatever can you mean? We have barely seen any of your retinue, none have come to my husband to have work done. Surely your informant is mistaken?"

Garia sighed. This part of the confrontation had been worked out carefully to try and box Jasinet's mother into a corner.

"The informant, as you put it, is your own daughter Jasinet." The woman's eyes flared with anger. "I have, with my own eyes, seen the marks on her back where you whipped her. There is no mistake, mistress."

There was a gasp from those other townspeople in the room, followed by a general murmuring.

"Those are old marks, milady! The girl was untidy, it was necessary to chastise her."

Garia called, "Jenet, come forward."

Jenet came to the bench, curtseyed, and stood sideways so that all could hear her voice.

"Jenet, tell us what you found when you examined Jasinet's back."

"Milady, there are seven marks that are clearly visible, some across her back and others on her buttocks. It is possible that there are older marks as well but they are not clear beneath the bruising. The marks appear to have been made by a thin stick or rod, milady."

"How long ago do you think the marks were made?"

"Three days perhaps, milady. No longer than four, I am certain."

"What have you done to them?"

"I have applied ointment, milady, and wrapped her in linen to protect her body and her clothing."

"Had the marks been treated before you discovered them?"

"No, milady, they had not."

There was another gasp from the onlookers.

Garia said angrily, "Jasinet is sworn to my service! It is for me to decide whether she requires punishment, not others. By assaulting this girl you question my honor. What have you to say for yourself?"

The man had blanched but his wife was red-faced. "The girl refused to do what was bid of her! I could not let that stand, I am her mother, I have the right."

Garia's voice was cold. "Any right of punishment you had over her ended the day she turned sixteen, mistress. She is an adult, she is answerable for herself to the laws of Palarand. The day she swore an oath to serve me I took responsibility for her conduct and I took responsibility to protect her as well. You have assaulted a member of House Blackstone, mistress, and I cannot let that pass."

The woman kneeled. "Milady, I forgot myself, she is my daughter, I forgot that responsibility had passed to another. I only intended to make sure she served you as you deserved."

"About that," Garia said. "This is not just a question of a daughter disobeying her mother, is it? You put her here with the deliberate intention of getting her to spy for you, getting her to find a way you could increase your influence with me. It appears she didn't want to do that, did she? She was just happy to be here, serving her liege lady." Garia paused. "Happy, in fact, to be away from her overbearing parents. This is less about a mother beating a daughter and more about two parents who conspired to force their daughter to do their bidding while in my service."

"Milady," the man said, "this is fantasy! My daughter has a strong imagination."

"Perhaps, but it was not my imagination that saw her attempt to end the service of my other new maid. Jasinet was instructed to find fault with Lanilla's work whenever she could, in order to make her own position stronger. She might have gotten away with it, too, if we had not discovered the whip marks. Jasinet has confessed everything."

The man was shocked. "Confessed? You have ended her service? What is to become of her?"

"I have not ended her service. She remains as my maid and will continue to do so. I would not think of returning Jasinet to parents who would beat her. Where I come from abuse is considered a serious crime and even in Palarand it is taken seriously. The only question remaining is what punishment should I make on people who are prepared to beat their own children."

The man went to his knees beside his wife. "Mercy, My Lady!"

Garia regarded them stonily. "You didn't show your daughter any mercy, did you? If I had been a more senior noble, a count or a duke, I might have decided to make the punishment fit the crime. I'll show you this much mercy, then. I won't have your wife stripped to the waist, tied to a post and publicly whipped. You appear prosperous, you can have a financial penalty instead."

Garia leaned over to let Jepp whisper in her ear. This had also been pre-arranged but the actual details couldn't be decided until the case had been heard.

"Fifty crowns, milady. Thirty for the assault and ten each for the conspiracy. It will cause his household pain but not very much. As you can see they are not short of coin."

"No, indeed. Thank you, Master Jepp." Garia turned to the pair. "Rise, please. For the assault on my retainer, thirty crowns. For conspiring to spy upon my household, ten crowns each. You have two weeks - fourteen days - to pay the fine."

"But, milady!" the man protested. "I am not poor but I do not have so much coin to hand! I cannot afford as much as you ask."

Garia was going to make a sharp retort but Bleskin pointed a finger. "Master Shoemaker, your wife bears more than fifty crowns around her neck."

Garia nodded. "That's a good idea, captain. Mistress, remove your necklace, if you please. You can have it back when the fine is paid into the court. Master Jepp, when the money is paid, put it into the town fund for the poor, please."

"As you command, milady."

"But, but, I can't -" the woman stammered.

"Considering the alternative," Garia responded, "of being publicly flogged, I'm sure you can, mistress."

The woman was forced to stand, red-faced, while her husband fumbled with the necklace to remove it. He resented being asked to do something a servant should be doing, but there was little alternative. Once the necklace had been laid on the table in front of Merizel he stood back and asked a question, his expression sullen.

"What of our daughter, milady? Are we never to see her again?"

"If she wishes to meet you, then it will be her own choice, not yours. When she does she will have a chaperone and a man-at-arms with her to prevent any unpleasantness." Garia paused. "Anything else? Then this court is ended. Show them out, please."

~o~O~o~

The women retired to their chamber to change for dinner. Garia had decided that, as she was being formal today, she might as well wear one of her full-length gowns to dinner for a change. Her traveling wardrobe wasn't that big and it would give her other clothing a rest. Jasinet went down on one knee in front of her.

"Oh, thank you, thank you, milady! I never thought that you could be so gracious to me. I was just so frightened of what might happen, I didn't think there was any way I could get out of it."

Garia smiled and extended her hands to help Jasinet up. "That's all right, Jasinet. Us girls have to stick together. I know that not everybody has parents that treat them right, I'm glad I could fix this problem quickly."

"They aren't really bad, milady," Jasinet said quietly. "They are very strict sometimes. I thought that all parents were like that."

"And that's the problem, isn't it? You think that the situation you are in is normal when in fact it isn't. It's only when you visit your friends, or when you leave home, that you might, might, discover the truth."

"As you say, milady. I promise to be good in future and not argue with anybody about anything. You are a good person to serve."

"Well, I do what I can, Jasinet." Garia smiled. "And don't make promises you are unlikely to keep! Now, this evening I'm going to wear one of my long gowns, I think. Do you know which chest they are kept in?"

"Oooh! I like looking at those gowns! Do you have lots more back at the palace, milady?"

"I do, but the situation there is a bit strange..."

Ready for dinner, they found Michen waiting for them at the foot of the stair.

"Milady," he bowed. "A brief moment before you go in to dinner, if I may."

"Of course, what can I do for you?"

"The grakh, yesterday. If you remember, we wondered why they did not press their attack. I have spoken to several herders today and what they tell me is that your dranakh currently graze at the top of the mountain. I do not remember seeing them when we were up there but they may have been lying down or behind some rock outcrop, perhaps."

"Dranakh? They would fight off grakh?"

The guide nodded. "Aye, milady, depending on numbers. Two grakh would attack a single dranakh but the draft beasts are formidable opponents. It is said that they would even take on a ptuvil, milady. To succeed against dranakh, the grakh would have to outnumber them three or four to one."

"That's useful to know, Michen. Thank you for finding that out. If we ever go up to the ridge again we'll have to remember that grakh fly over the area. I didn't think about them at all until the alarm was raised."

Michen looked sheepish. "Nor I, milady. As your guide I was remiss and I apologize for that." He bowed. "I had best let you go to your meal now, milady."

Keren was waiting at their table.

"What did mother have to say? Anything important?"

Garia smiled at him. "Good news, of a sort. The palace has had to open a dedicated office just to deal with my income from the various projects. It seems that rumors of my wealth are not exaggerated at all. She sends another draft for four thousand crowns, which I'll pass on to Jaxen to take to Tranidor. That's where we're spending all the money at present."

Keren thought. "You told us of something called a 'bank' the other day. Shall you explain more over our meal? It seems we must needs consider the movement of money in greater detail than we have previously thought."

"If you insist. The principle of operation is very simple but it's all the details and variations can cause the problems. Let's see if we can't come up with some idea that will work for Palarand."

~o~O~o~

The door opened and two men regarded one another.

"Ah! Good master, it seems I have come to the right place. I foolishly caught my boot today and the stitching has parted, see?"

"Come in, come in. Sit down, let me see that."

The shoemaker examined the boot, noting that it was a simple case of worn stitching, the leather, while showing signs of much use, seemed sound.

"This will not take long to do. Can you return in the morning?"

"Uh, they are my only pair, Master Shoemaker. And we will be departing in the morning, I do not know which bell. If I could wait while you repaired it?"

"Of course. Do you wish a drink while you wait? Beer, perhaps? Or pel if you prefer."

"Thank you no, master. I have just eaten."

The shoemaker sat down at his bench and selected needle and cord. He lit another lamp and positioned it so that the metal reflector directed the glow onto his working area.

"You are a miner? One of those who came yesterday?"

"I came yesterday, master, but I am no miner. I drive one of the wagons that will take the coal away from here."

"Ah! A wagoneer, then. This coal will prove good business for you."

"Aye, master. I am told that we will take four wagons a week away from here, for many weeks to come. That will bring much needed coin to your town."

There was silence for a time, then, as the shoemaker picked out the broken threads from the boot and cleaned the holes with an awl. He noticed that some of the stitches had been cleanly cut rather than broken but said nothing.

"I hear," the wagoneer said, "that you had some trouble with the baroness earlier today."

The shoemaker scowled. "Aye. It brings shame upon my family. My wife chastised our daughter, who is newly employed by the baroness as a maid, not understanding that the baroness reserves that right to herself. We are charged fifty crowns for the misdemeanor."

"Fifty? So much? Is she a cruel one, then?"

"I don't think so, friend. Young and naive, perhaps. It is our lot to have such a one of little experience over us. A town like this needs a strong hand, especially once we are beset by miners."

"Still, it is a lot of coin to find."

"Aye. I do not have such a sum. We will have to consider selling something to make up the balance, and I'm not sure I can do that in the time allotted."

"What time would that be?"

"Fourteen days, friend."

The wagoneer whistled. "That is unjust, master. She knows how far we are from Tranidor."

"Aye. But what can I do? Here, that should fix your problem. Look at that stitching and tell me if you consider the work well done."

The wagoneer held the boot under the light and examined it. He nodded.

"It is good work, better than the original. How much, master?"

"For such a small repair, four feniks, friend."

The wagoneer put his boot back on and laced it. He stood then and fumbled, not at the pouch attached to his belt but at another concealed beneath the tunic he wore under his leather jerkin.

"Here, Master Shoemaker. Perhaps I can help fix your problem."

"What's this? Ten crowns? But why?"

"If you will accept it, consider it a loan to help you pay this penalty on time. Ten crowns is all I have with me, I'm afraid. I expect to be back here within the week and I can bring another ten, if that would help."

The shoemaker looked at the man with astonishment.

"You would lend me such coin? A complete stranger?"

"Hardly that, Master Shoemaker. You are a well-known tradesman in Blackstone, after all. I do not think you are going to run away with my money, are you? Will this help you?"

"Aye. Aye, it will. And what do you expect from me in return, friend?"

"Friend is the word, my friend. From what you have said, I gather you do not approve of your new liege."

"I do not! My wife is of like mind, as is our eldest boy. This town is ruled by children and it isn't right. Why, I have seen with my own eyes that she frolics with her men-at-arms each morning, tumbling like some acrobat at a country fair. It is not seemly behavior for one who is supposed to set her folk an example."

"Do you say so? The young are full of energy, it is true, but such a display is not what any honest subject of the King ought to do in public. Is she modestly attired during these displays?"

"Not so, friend! She wears the same as her men do, plain tunic and tights. The skirts she does wear at other times my wife considers too short. What is the world coming to?"

"There may be a way to put this right, friend. Perhaps we can talk about this when I return. Are there others in the town that think as you do?"

"Aye, there are several I can name. But what do you intend, if I may ask?"

"I have no design, Master Shoemaker. This is, after all, only the second night I have ever spent in this town. But with your help, and the help of others who think as you do, perhaps we may think of some way to give your town the liege it rightfully deserves."

The shoemaker was silent for a time. Then, quietly, "You speak of treason, friend. Or are you friend at all?"

The wagoneer spread his hands wide. "Me? Treason? No, Master Shoemaker, I do not go so far. I merely suggest that perhaps a mistake has been made, a mistake that can be corrected and that others will approve of. I have not mentioned anything treasonous at all."

The shoemaker nodded slowly. "As you say. If you would contribute another ten crowns on your next visit I would be grateful, friend. I can manage the rest, barely. In return, I will ask quietly among my own friends if there are any who might be willing to help us and we can meet when you next return."

"Done. A meeting is all I can suggest. It will be up to us at that time to decide if there is anything that can be done about your problem child."

"Agreed, then. But you have not told me your name, friend. How shall I refer to you, should my friends ask?"

"My name is not so hard to find out, Master Shoemaker. All you have to do is to ask any miner, after all. But it would perhaps be best if it were not used among your friends, in case you are overheard." The wagoneer smiled. "I have an idea. Fikt. You can refer to me as Fikt."

up
377 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Oooh, new shinies!!!

Always good to see a new chapter of one of my favorite stories. Haven't read it yet, but I already know I'll like it :D. I'll wait with reading it until right before I go to sleep, that way I can more easily dream about more adventures in Anmar while I sleep.

BTW, I presume that Anmar has no relation to Myanmar? :P

I was right, a few who curried up to the crooks still live...

And whois the crooked *wagor driver*?

Seems to mee the shoemaker has made his choice. One that will have him swinging from a rope by his neck unless he soon repents and confesses to Garia. Plus asking fior a BIGGER bribe invites the conspirator slitting his throat once he is not of use.

BTW who is the *wagon driver*?

ANY who raise armns against Garia AND the Crown Prince will have commited high treason. Treason that has but one sentence...death.

Nice news the draft animals in groups are feared by the flying predators.

Dark days are ahead.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. And setting up the core of a banking system seems necessary. They office at the castle just to handle Garia's royalties from inventions is proof of the need. And for building/expanding Blackstone.

John in Wauwatosa

Fikt on the fly, again!

The plot is getting thicker than split-pea soup! Who does Fikt work for as it seems he would unseat Garia and put another in her place.

Fikt's purpose

That's what he's telling the locals he wants to do. What he actually wants may be something different.

Penny

Fikt's purpose

What you say is true but this isn't the first time his name has appeared in the story. He was involved in Dekarran castle too, if I remember correctly.

DJ

A conspiracy?

Our mysterious Fikt could be part of a conspiracy to oust Garia (c.f. the assassination attempt in Dekarran), which would be treading on very dangerous ground as her capabilities, attitude and agility - not to mention the company she keeps - would immediately make any arranged "accident" look very suspicious.

Alternatively, given that I'd assume at least some degree of vetting happened with the wagoners, he could be the Duchy's first spy / undercover agent - working directly for Garia or (perhaps more likely if he did come on a wagon) Uncle Gil and charged with finding out the degree of resistance / opposition to Garia and their capabilities. If employed by Garia (or someone in her household), it may be in response to / inspired by Jasinet's dad's attempts at spying on the household. His alias may be entirely coincidental, but I can't help but notice its pronounciation is one letter away from an English synonym for "in deep trouble"...

-oOo-

Meanwhile, full kudos to Jenet's astute observations, which have resulted in the dispute between Jasinet and Lanilla being resolved to their mutual satisfaction and the ousting of Jasinet's parents' attempts to curry favour.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Fikt

It appears that I have been too subtle in my plot... or my story is way too long, which is also possible.

Fikt is named and described in chapter 57. It is reasonably plain who and what he is.

Penny

Edit: Vetting? Are you crazy? These people aren't modern, you know. This is just a commercial contract to haul stuff from one end of Palarand to another. It will take some serious incidents for modern attitudes to espionage and assassination to develop. Why, these people don't yet even have passports.

Aha!

So he was a central member of the kidnap / assassination plot back in Dekkaran (possibly working for Yod): Being a local, with access to the castle, even if there were any rudimentary checks on the wagoners (are they local / do they regularly pass this way) he'd have passed with flying colours.

Anyway, the relevant extract from Chapter 57 (discussing what they'd learned of the plot):

"Does this other man have a name?" Robanar asked. "The one that let them into the castle?"

Jokar shook his head. "Not from what we have learned so far, Sire. The man Rathonel was told to refer to him as Fikt if he needed a name."

Garia thought, Fikt. A biting insect. Quite. Typical melodramatic gesture.

"And then?"

"Fikt placed the men and said he would come back with another in their pay leading the young woman they wished to secure and probably her maid. He and Brotho were to seize the women in such a way that they couldn't use their leverage. At that point he and the fourth man, who I assume was your man Dorrin -" Robanar's face twisted at the 'your man', "- would turn and present their swords and the young woman would have to surrender to their show of force." Jokar turned to Garia again. "Milady, it is as well that you refused to surrender. If you had been taken, well..."


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

The Way I Read It...

Re-reading the parts of Ch 57 today, it was pretty clear that Fikt organized the attempt on Garia. Sounds like he's an agent of Yod to me. Thanks to Penny for reminding us where to find him.

Fikt

Is probably a name I should have added to the Gazetteer after 57. I probably did not though possibly due to not knowing exactly where to place him. I think I am going to set up a section of known hostile agents to Palarand.

I wouldn't bother too much

The only mention most 'hostile agents' are going to get is probably when their bodies are examined...

...however, that may be about to change, thinking about it.

Penny

Agents

Well, not only do we have "Fikt" presently operating in Blackstone right now but Serdel is still on the loose. I also added (for now) Trogan's gang to that section since there are still 2 out there. Sethan and his dead cousin I might move to Blackstone if Sethan ends up staying there after his sentence is over. Oh, I am defining Hostile Agent as any person or group attempting to subvert via criminal or hostile means so not neccessarily anyone possibly working for the Ascendancy of Yod, at least for now :)

Fikt Can't Be Real Smart

Some of his guys were caught in the last operation. You'd think that he would change "code names". If someone blabs this time (highly likely as shoe boy asks around), the name will get Garia and Keren's attention.

That's True! He Fikt up!

Something tells me his demise is at hand, much like the miner walking into a coal mine and then striking a match to light the oil lamp (a methane blast) :D

Garia is not complacent and neither are the people she keeps around her!

^^

Sephrena

Too Long!

NEVER! Let this run like Bike. As long as new chapters appear, I'm still alive.

DJ

Garia tending to the staffing

problems seems to have opened her up to a possible rebellion. Is Fikt a spy? If so, for who? Will the Master Shoemaker be her friend or foe?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Well Yod can't attack her

Well Yod can't attack her direct so I did expect somthing along these lines lol but if Jenet or Garia see him it will be for nothing ??? Why not send someone ells ?

I wonder if they have got Rathonel to make a sketch of what he looks like yet ?

Or is it a bluff and he isn't actually the one who attacke Garia but just using his name ??

Can't wait to find out lol I have about 1000 different outcomes thought of but all might be wrong :)

I'm surprised Garia hasn't made a grenade or some sort of explosive yet ??? no one would know what it is yet would give her the upper hand if she was taken by yod or attacked by some animal. With all the extraction of coal and sand stone a thousand sticks of explosive would be good and there were hints of removing mountains ???
It isnt hard to make a rifle and shells to give her guards. lol if I keep going I'll start thinking of Garia taking a few lines off Dirty Harry. "Do you feel lucky punk" and then all the odd looks every one would give her :)

Things are getting messy again, aren't they?

So Fikt is back and still trying to either take or kill Garia again. Yod just doesn't give up, do they?

Nice job of handling the servant problem there, too. But the shoemaker is flirting with what will eventually become high treason if he isn't careful about who he associates with.

Maggie

The plot thickens, some

The plot thickens, some people just can't be grateful of what they have. Oh well too much greed will see them swing from the gallows. Garia was caught flat footed at the festival, in Dekeran she was in unfamiliar company and was vulnerable, I have a feeling Garia wont be as easy to be caught flatfooted again. I wonder if word will spread of an impending conspiracy. Someone somewhere is bound to catch wind of such treachery.

Big hugs

Lizzie :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

Who is stiring up trouble?

Is this fellow just some misogynistic fool, or is this bigger than that? Is some outside force stiring up trouble?

Very nice.

Gwendolyn

Bad Fikt. Bad. No Biscuit.

terrynaut's picture

I vaguely remember the name of Fikt but this story has gone on for too long. I'll have to go back and read chapter 57 again. Thanks for the reference. And thanks very much for another good chapter.

Thanks and kudos as always.

- Terry

Oooo the spy master returns

And I do remember about this low life, which may be a good or bad thing as it shows how much a nerd I am of this story :P

The difference now is that she is on guard and has plenty of support and not merely alone in the hallways.

I doubt even the shoemaker would condone treason so this should prove interesting.

Kim

So Fikt is back...

Perhaps by another name. But still hell-bent on causing trouble.

Fikt and his cronies seem to forget the presence and authority of Keren who is, after all, despite his youth, the second highest authority in this feudal society.

When push comes to shove, it will take a virtual revolution to remove Garia from her suzerainty and while this might eventually come to pass as it did in France and many other absolute monarchies. I don't think it's beyond the wit of Garia to take a leaf from the British monarchy and, despite the hiccup of the civil war, manage the transition reasonably peacefully from an absolute monarchy to a constitutional one.

I sincerely hope that Gary from Kansas has studied British history as a precursor to his own American history to see how the slow but reasonably peaceful transition was achieved.

Yes, I know there were revolutions and riots and even outright civil wars but the British Monarchy has, after all, managed to survive fairly intact by dint of compromise, reconciliation and negotiation when confronted by force majeur. Let's hope Garia has sufficient knowledge of history to examine the British model of a reasonable peaceful transition from Absolute to constitutional monarchy.

The only advantage of a constitutional monarchy over a republic is that it costs less to run a monarch for fifty or so years compared with electing a president every four or five or six or event ten years in some instances. The two are otherwise fairly similar in terms of the civil liberties and rights enjoyed by its citizens.

I love this story and I find the social history aspects more intriguing than the technical and scientific developments.

let's hope Garia can prove the old adage wrong; namely that the only lesson we learn from history is that nobody ever learns the lessons of history!!!!

Thanks Penny.

Bevs.

bev_1.jpg

Away the t'gallants!

Looks like you have a full suit of sail spread there, dear.

...I didn't know you were a captain back in the days of sail...

Penny

Thinking Frayen

We know Snep thinks because he acts as though he thinks but, we have been given a glimps of coherent thought by Tixi. When are we going to get some stable talk among the frayen?

Baronial Residence

With everything else in a whirl, Garia is going to have to commission a Baronial Residence for the seat of government and her residence when in the barony. The Claw just isn't big enough!

79 Kudos

Dear Penny Lane.

I have just sat down and read the entire SEE on my wordpad. Outstanding! Consider this comment the 79 Kudos I should have given you if I read them online. Your characters drew me in and the story line kept me enthralled.

Thanks,
Larimus

Why Thank You!

You have accomplished a difficult and arduous task successfully. Possibly more successfully than she what wrote it...

I'm gratified that you feel my scribblings are worth reading.

Now I suggest you go and lie down in a dark corner until you return to normality.

Chapter 80 is 30% written and Chapter 81 is about 50% written... see my last blog entry. We're getting to the interesting stuff now.

Penny

Yod

It looks like Yod knows where she is now and this isn’t just treason but high treason.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Not treasonous? Hardly!

Jamie Lee's picture

Looks like "the good old days" are sought more than introducing new things to have a better life. Jasinet's parents were lucky the only got fined, instead of the wife getting her own lashes. They are people who don't have the foresight to see that things will change and they'll be left in the dust. Their social climbing attitude is something the town won't miss should they find themselves in a big mess.

So it was the dranakh being in the area which caused the flying shoppers to turn and leave. It's a wonder no human has been given a lesson in manners by these beasts.

Oh great, their going to have another go at Garia. And wanting the shoemaker to get more involved to get rid of her, at least that's what they think.

Not treasonous? How's that not be treasonous? Garia is in Blackstone at the behest of the King, acting as agent for the King. They go against Garia they go against the King, and he just might put in an appearance if anything happens to Garia. And it won't be with toy soliders.

Others have feelings too.

Not Treason?

Especially since they will have to go through the Crown Prince to get to her? Shoemaker had already determined to commit treason when he discovered that he couldn't gain influence with Garia. And of course Fikt showed up like a bad penny... This will not turn out well for anyone!