Somewhere Else Entirely -78-

Printer-friendly version

Garia and Keren take a ride out for the day, to find out what is beyond the ridge above the town. The answer is surprising to all. Yarling learns about geology while Feteran discovers why no enemy may attack from the north. Their day out is ended by the appearance of some unexpected visitors...

Somewhere Else Entirely

by Penny Lane

78 - The Stone Sea


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2011-2013 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



"This is a curious harness, milady." Lanilla held up the sports bra which Garia had asked her to fetch out of her chest. "Is this what the noble ladies wear at court?"

Garia smiled. "It has little to do with your nobility, Lanilla, and more to do with where you happen to live. Right now, almost all the women who live or work in the palace are wearing them, from the Queen right down to the kitchen staff and cleaners. I'm not sure exactly what's happening in the city but I'm willing to bet that city ladies, noble or otherwise, are putting them on just as fast as they can be made and sold."

"Ooooh." Lanilla's eyes were round. "Do you think..? Would it be possible..? I mean, might I..?"

Garia laughed gently. "You want to try one out? I'm sure they'll reach Blackstone in time. If you end up traveling with us then you might get to wear them sooner. I don't think anyone here has one you might try, though. I'm sorry, Lanilla, you are just so much thinner than any of us."

The under-maid's face fell. "I know, milady. Not all in Blackstone can eat as some do and my family have struggled in years past. I know that they welcome your efforts to bring coin to our town."

Garia held her arms out so that Lanilla could slide the shoulder straps over. "They might not be so welcoming when the town is six times its current size and full of drunk miners. It is possible to be poor even in large towns, Lanilla." She raised her arms. "Now, just hold it there while I lean forward and settle my breasts right." Garia suited action to words and positioned herself comfortably. "Right. Now, you'll have to cross the ties over and bring them round the front. I usually hold one while Jenet walks round with the other."

"Like this, milady?"

"That's great. Now, the trick is to pull evenly and carefully so that the band under the breasts stays flat and snug and then to tie it off under here, like... so. If it's too tight it will cause you to get red marks on your chest or on your shoulders. How do I look?"

"Milady, you look... amazing, as always." Lanilla cocked her head and gave Garia a wistful look. "I wish I looked as beautiful as you."

"Ah, well, it's not all good news should you happen to look good. Looking good means too much attention from the boys and I can use my swords to beat them off whereas another girl might not be so lucky."

"Surely, milady, having attention is not a bad thing? If a freeman or a guildsman, or, dare I say, a nobleman, were to attend me then why would my beauty be considered bad?"

These girls don't have much clue, do they? Let's see if I can improve their chances of survival.

"All right, let's see if I can explain. The tunic next, if you would."

Garia put her head through the neck and then each arm in turn. Gary would have put his arms through the sleeve holes first and then pulled the tunic over his head but her shorter arms and different body shape made the feminine method more logical for Garia.

"You might get lucky," she explained, "and find a good man who can look after you. But if you are too beautiful, that won't stop the other men coming to make their own try. Three things can happen, either your husband wears himself out fighting off other men, he locks you away in your new house so that they can't get at you, or you betray your husband by going off with one of the others."

Lanilla was outraged. "Milady, I would never betray a solemn vow of marriage!"

Garia just looked at her until the girl reddened.

"That's easy enough to say when you're newly married but what about in five years time, when he's always off hunting, drinking with his buddies or spending all his time counting his money? You have young kids by then and you are as bored as... anything. A young man who pays you the compliments your husband has stopped doing could look very attractive." Garia paused as she stepped into her riding skirt. "There are other dangers as well. You might fall foul of a type of man who will just use you and throw you away. Like Trogan and his men, for example. Not being too pretty probably saved you this time." Lanilla's expression became thoughtful as she tied Garia's skirt tapes. Garia added, "It can be worse than that, much worse. Remind me to tell you what happened when Duke Jarwin came to stay at the King's court."

"Duke Jarwin? Who's he, milady?"

"Another time, Lanilla. I think I need to tell that story to Jasinet as well so we'll wait until the two of you are both together and we have a little spare time. What?"

Lanilla's expression had changed when Garia mentioned Jasinet.

"Oh, nothing, milady."

"Nothing indeed! Tell me."

"I mustn't tell tales, milady... but Jasinet wants to argue all the time. We both do all the work that is asked of us but she seems to find fault with everything we do. I don't like that because it isn't necessary so I end up arguing back. I'm sorry, milady, it seems so silly."

"Nonsense! Look, you're girls and that means you are going to have disagreements from time to time. I'm guessing you weren't both friends before you came to the Claw, were you? So, why would you expect it to be any different after? People who disagree have to work with each other all the time and they have to learn to get along. Now if there's a problem between two of my staff, any two, I need to know about it so I can fix it. I'd rather you were both here and happy than having to send one or both of you away."

Lanilla curtseyed. "Oh, thank you, milady! I don't want to go away, I like working here. I've learned so much already."

"That's the right attitude. Good. My tabard comes next."

"Why do you wear this, milady? I have seen tabards worn by cooks and the weaver women when they work but they are not padded like this, nor so fine."

"It's for riding, Lanilla. It gives me a little extra padding if I should fall off and it keeps my body warmer without restricting my arms. When I wear my swords on my back it stops the straps rubbing... my front."

"Ooooh. Aye, I see. I think you're very clever to be able to use swords. I would probably cut myself. Will you need your swords today, milady?"

"Yes, because I'm riding out with the men and it's best to be prepared when you're in unfamiliar country. Now, if you'll hand me that sash we can go and join the others."

~o~O~o~

The courtyard was full again this morning, but this was after the daily Tai Chi participants had dispersed. In fact, there were now so many attending that exercise that Garia had been thinking of moving the routine out into the street to have more room. This time the courtyard was filled with men and beasts getting ready for their first big patrol out into the valley.

Yarling came through the carriage entrance from the street leading his frayen. Beside him was a local leading his own mount. The miner discovered Garia in the mill of men and beasts and made his way over to her.

"Milady, good morning." He bowed, one hand on the reins. "This is Michen, the local guide I have been using for my survey."

"Master Michen, good morning," Garia said as the man bowed. "I trust that Master Yarling has explained today's expedition?"

"Aye, milady. We are to take the west track up to the crest of the mountain behind the town. It is not a long ride, milady." He looked at Garia quizzically. "I do not know what you expect to find, milady. I know that Master Yarling seeks the lines of coal but there is very little for anyone else to see up there."

"Just call it curiosity, Master Michen. I'm the new landowner and I want to find out what's here, that's all. It's also an opportunity for us to take a ride."

Michen glanced around the yard. "So many men, milady? We are unlikely to be attacked on our ride, however far we might go."

"It's an opportunity for the men as well. There's only so much drill and standing watch anyone can do without getting bored or jaded. My commander will want to come to get an idea of the country with a view to defending it." She held up a hand as Michen made to speak. "I know, we won't be attacked, but he's my military man and that's his job. I would rather he found out how any enemy might approach the town and find ways to defend it than just have them suddenly appear with no idea how they got here."

"As you say, milady." That was from Feteran who had arrived during the conversation and now saluted. "We are about ready to leave, milady. His Highness and Mistress Jenet are already mounted."

Merizel appeared then. "I wish I was coming but I understand why I should not, Garia. Take care."

Garia smiled at her friend. "Another time, Merry. You'll probably go out for a ride with Sookie later?"

"Almost certainly, but we won't be going far if you're taking the whole garrison with you today."

Garia considered, but it was too late to change the arrangements now. Two armsmen had been left behind and together with Jarrin and Durko, the two wagoneers from Dekarran, they were the only 'guards' who would be around to look after the Claw today while the rest were riding. However -

She smiled. "I'm sure you could convince Master Brydas to accompany you. I doubt even a grakh would tangle with him!"

Merizel grinned. "Aye. He seems to spend much of his time at the Claw now that Senidet is helping Sookie, doesn't he? I wonder who is giving her the most help?"

"Brydas, I would wager, since Senidet spends some of her time going over that steam engine. Look, Merry, they're waiting, we'd better go."

"As you say. Fare you well, then, Garia."

With everybody mounted Yarling and Michen led the way out of the courtyard. Following them was Feteran and Bleskin, who had seized the opportunity to take an interesting ride. Next came Garia and Jenet, then Keren, Brazan and finally their men. The procession turned right and headed up the street through a thin crowd of onlookers before reaching the cistern building.

"Straight ahead, milady?"

"Yes, please, Yarling. I want to have a look at the coal workings as we go."

Despite the fact that this end of the town was a little way above the valley floor the slope here was still gentle and so the 'coal workings' were more of the nature of a quarry than a pit. It was difficult to get an estimate of the thickness of the seam but Garia guessed something between fifteen and twenty feet. She could see that the seam was so large that, as Yarling had previously said, there was little chance of the townspeople exhausting their supply any time soon.

The procession walked carefully beyond the quarry and then Yarling came back to ride beside Garia.

"Milady, for the first consignment we have little option but to take from the existing workings. I know that you wish the quarry left for the townspeople so I suggest we open a second quarry face beyond for further consignments. As you can see, the seam remains as thick for a significant distance."

Garia nodded. "That's more or less what I had thought, Master Yarling. Did you plan to run the wagons through the town?"

Yarling looked at Garia and then down the slope to the headwaters of the Bray. He nodded.

"Considering the quantities you speak of, milady, perhaps that is not the best idea. There would be nothing but wagons endlessly going through the town. You are thinking of making an access road below?"

"To begin with, yes. We can talk about that when you present your report."

"Aye, milady."

Ahead the track faded into rough grass and the valley side began to bend left to create the huge bowl which constituted the head of the valley of the Bray. The land had been extensively grazed so that there was no difficulty finding a way around the head of the river, which had been Garia's chief reason for choosing this route. As they rode their path gradually came lower and lower until, opposite the rough jumble of rocks that gave birth to the Bray, they were almost on the valley floor.

Their route took them near one of the two smallholdings right at the head of the valley and Garia opted to call at it on their way. By the time that they arrived the occupants, man, woman, grandmother and three small children, were lined up outside bowing and curtseying low to their visitors. Garia, Keren and Michen dismounted while the others waited.

"Good morning to you," Garia greeted them. "We are just passing through, no need to worry yourselves. We're just going to ride up the ridge and take a look around. We'll be returning this way sometime this afternoon."

"As you say, My Lady," the husband replied.

"Are you well?" she asked. "Is there anything we can do for you? Anything you need?"

There were tears in the man's eyes. "Thank you for asking, milady. There is nothing presently but we will call at your residence if we have need."

Garia smiled at them. "Then we'll be off and get out of your way as soon as we can. Good bye."

"Fare you well, Highness, My Lady."

The three mounted again and Garia turned to Michen.

"Which way, now? Over there?" She pointed to the steep slope.

"If we were on foot, milady," came the reply, "then we could go that way, but it is not so suitable for our beasts. We have time, if we ride yonder we may find a smoother path."

"Lead on, then."

They soon found the bottom of the narrow track and began to ascend it in single file. On the way up Yarling called back to Garia.

"Here, milady, is the same coal seam as we passed the other side. It is barely two strides thick here but still workable should we require it."

Garia had envisaged the head of the main valley as looking like a tub of ice-cream with a scoop taken out, but as they climbed up she could see that the valley edges, which looked so sharp from below in the town, were nothing like that at all. Gradually and imperceptibly the slope changed to near horizontal and stretched away in front of them, any detail being concealed as yet by the curve of the slope. The track became wider, too, so their men came alongside and began to spread out ready for possible trouble. The terrain was rough here but the grass was close-cropped proving that pakh came here regularly.

Around the party the horizon opened up until they were riding beneath an open sky with sun and clouds and a tolerable breeze from the east. Ahead was a slight rise that concealed the land to the north and the party rode on to see what there was. When they finally reached the crest Garia stopped in confusion.

"A wall?"

"It's not what you think, milady," Michen explained. "From here it seems a wall but when we approach you shall discover the truth."

Ahead of them what appeared to be a regular wall blocked their path as far to either side as they could see. The stones were tumbled and overgrown and on seeing them Garia had immediately applied the word Chivan to them. The connection seemed stronger when they saw a ruined stone building to their right, just short of the wall. From the inside several pakh peered at them over the waist-high blocks. At the west end, nearest to them and against the highest of the remaining walls, a lean-to had been built consisting of dry-stone walling, turf, roof timbers and thatch made from the grasses Garia could see growing on top of the long wall. A thin wisp of smoke curled out of a chimney at the end of the building. Asleep in a chair in front of the lean-to was a very old man.

"Milady, I'm not sure what he's going to think of so many coming to call," Michen said quietly. "Normally he just minds the wool-beasts and enjoys his solitude."

"We'll set up camp over there, then," she decided, pointing the other way. "Let him doze until our activity wakes him naturally."

Feteran and Bleskin joined them.

"Your instructions, milady?"

"We're in your domain now, commander. What do you suggest?"

"Three men each way a mark or so, milady, to test out the land. Master Michen, what lies over this wall? Can we get over it?"

Michen smiled. "It is no wall, commander, but the edge of the Stone Sea. You may consider yourself safe from that direction but doubtless you will need to make your own judgment. The ground beyond is not suitable for frayen, however. They will be in danger of breaking their legs should you attempt to take them over."

"The Stone Sea?" Feteran frowned. "What is that? I have not heard of such a thing. Father?"

Bleskin said, "This is the border of the kingdom, Feteran. Milady, this rock barrier, which appears a wall to us here, is the northern limit of the Kingdom of Palarand as well as being the boundary of your lands. It is a strange kind of rock which is extremely difficult to cross on foot or by beast. In the Palar valley, the river has breached the boundary and provides a passage for the caravan route to Tel Botro, but here as in most places you should consider it impassible."

Keren had caught the explanation as he arrived. "Impassible? How? Or should I say why?"

"Let's get the camp set up," Garia suggested, "and then we can explore. Commander, send out your men. How long did we take getting up here, do you think?"

Feteran scratched his head. "Two and a half, maybe three bells, milady."

"Then we'd better make sure we start down early enough, that's all. I don't want to be stumbling through that bog below the town in the dark."

"As you say, milady."

All the men were of course well-trained, being either current or former members of the Palace Guard. This meant that patrols were sent off, the remaining frayen were picketed and a simple camp-fire was soon established with little fuss or noise. While they were standing about speaking in low voices Bleskin spoke.

"Highness, the ancient wakens."

"Ah." Keren looked at the others. "Let me handle this, if you would."

He walked over to the lean-to and crouched down so that he was on a level with the seated man. He was the oldest person Keren had ever seen, lined with exposure to sun, wind and rain and dressed in clothes that were little better than patched rags.

"Grandfather, do we disturb you? We did not know that any lived up here."

The eyes that looked back at Keren were bright. "I prefer the sound of my own voice, lad, but today your party makes a welcome change." His eyes flickered at the men working behind Keren. "Why so many men, lad? Are you afraid?"

Keren grinned. "Nay, grandfather. This is just a welcome ride out for the men. There is only so much polishing and cleaning a guardsman can do. Do you mind us here? We shall be gone by mid afternoon."

"Do as you will, lad. I do not mind. I have heard that the town has a new liege."

"That is not my lot, grandfather. Your new liege is the small girl with the swords." Keren pointed.

The old man regarded Garia for a moment then nodded. "Good. She has fire, she moves with purpose, I like that." The gaze swung back to Keren. "She will be good for the town and good for... you."

"Grandfather, I -"

"I once rode with your grandfather, lad," the old man said. His eyes went to Keren's sash. "When he wore the colors you now bear. I fought beside him at the Battle of Perent River."

Keren's eyes widened and he stood abruptly before bowing low to the man.

"You are worthy of my respect, grandfather. Would my father know you?"

"He might, lad. Tell him that Larsenar of Teldor still lives, though I am no longer the man his father knew."

"I shall tell him. Have you a mug? We are about to brew pel."

"Aye, lad. Inside the door on the shelf. I appreciate your kindness."

Keren returned to the group at the fire carrying a rough pottery mug.

"What did you find? Is he all right?" Garia asked.

"I think so. Garia, he is the oldest person I have ever seen. He must be at least seventy if not eighty years of age. He fought beside my grandfather while he was still a prince."

Even Bleskin gave a low whistle at that. "Few survive to such an age, Highness."

"Aye, captain. He has no concern with us being here but I would suggest that we try not to upset his flock. Even if he knows them all by name it would take time to collect them should they scatter."

"We will take care, Highness," Feteran declared. "This is his domain, not ours."

Garia asked, "Does he know who we are?"

"Aye, Garia." He smiled. "He approves of you and thinks you'll be good for the town, as he puts it. I'm not so sure he'll approve quite so much once we begin digging out the mountains around him." His expression changed to a scowl. "He also thinks you'll be good for me."

Garia smiled brightly at Keren. "Duh. We already know that, don't we?"

He looked pained. "Don't start, please. We have enough problems as it is."

"Highness?"

Keren sighed. "Captain, there are... personal... matters between Garia and myself." He stopped, struck by a thought. "Perhaps... but this is not the place for such matters. Let us provide Larsenar of Teldor with a mug of hot pel, have our own drink and then inspect this curious wall before us."

When they were finished the group set out to walk the hundred and fifty strides to the wall.

"As I explained, Highness," Michen said, "it is a natural phenomenon. In some places it is above the level of the touching land and in others it is below. The nature of the surface is such that it becomes impossible to walk any distance on it."

"I am curious to see this strange soil. Is it like a marsh or bog, then?"

"Highness, you will see for yourself shortly."

"And no man may cross it, you say?"

"Highness, it stretches for many marks to the north. Some parts are more passable than others, it is true, but any man would have to be very determined to wish to cross to the other side. Any man or beast will be at risk of injury to their legs or feet."

"Yarling, do you have knowledge of this Stone Sea?"

"I have heard of it, of course, Highness. I have never encountered it. My duties to the guild and its clients have kept me in other parts of the Kingdom. I am interested to see it for myself."

The wall was about five feet high at the point they reached it but that was no obstacle since the many tumbled blocks provided an easy route to the top. Feteran went first to ensure that the way was clear and the rest followed, to stand in a line looking towards the north.

"You're right," Garia remarked to no-one in particular, "I've never seen anything like this before. No wonder it's impassible."

At their feet the rock was worn by the weather into random blocks of anything from a handswidth to a foot in size, the cracks running in all directions. The blocks themselves were heavily weathered leaving an uncertain surface with random points and dips and deep cracks between. Some of the blocks tipped when stepped upon. In the crevices between the blocks thin, dry grasses issued, the stems reaching waist height. Garia could see green shoots below, but it was obvious that any plants would have a hard time getting enough sustenance to flourish.

As the eye moved away towards the distance the grass stems began to hide the ruined surface and presented the viewer with the impression of a gently undulating landscape which stretched to the horizon. The rise and fall of the ground, as shown by the grasses, showed a perfect impression of a sea frozen at one instant in time.

"Wow. Just wow. So, how far does this go?"

"Anything from two hundred to five hundred marks, milady," Michen replied, "although none have been able to survey it properly for obvious reasons."

"We might be able to do something about that," she said. "There may be ways we can measure this using our new instruments and the stars. I'll ask Master Gerdas when we get back to Palarand. Merry -" Then Garia remembered that Merizel was not with them.

Keren smiled. "I'll remember to tell her to add it to the list, Garia."

Garia looked at her feet. "Now I understand why you can't bring frayen up here, Master Michen. They wouldn't get very far, would they?"

Keren added, "Does that mean there is no life out there? No animals of any sort?"

"There is plenty of life in the Sea, Highness," Michen replied. "Small furry scurrying things, mostly, but of course there are many avians, none of which are bothered by the rock at all."

"Ah, I see."

Yarling bent down and picked up a chunk of loose rock. "Limestone, I think."

Keren asked him, "Good enough to use for construction, would you say?"

"No, Highness, this stuff is too rotten for such work, even a miner like me can tell you that." He considered. "If we were to go much deeper, then we may find better quality stone."

"I'm betting you won't," Garia said. "This surface had gotten like this because the rainwater slowly dissolves the rock, which is why it looks like it does. Deeper down the water still flows through it and the rock may all be as bad as this. Now we have an explanation why there is so little water at Blackstone. It is easier for the rain to go down through this stuff."

"Where does the water go, milady? It can't just keep going down forever."

"Nope, it probably forms huge underground rivers that come out marks away." Yarling's eyes widened. "I'm guessing this is about the highest point of the mountains round these parts? The rivers would come out the other side of this, then." She pointed north before turning to Yarling and smiling. "We can't build with this stuff but on the other hand it will be just the material to go into the new steel furnaces. All we have to do is get it down into the valley below." She had another thought. "We can also grind it up to make mortar. It's probably good enough for that."

Yarling nodded absently, his mind already on the details. "As you say, milady."

Feteran had his telescope out and was examining the plain before them in detail before swinging around and using the vantage height to inspect the valley to their south. Yarling watched him and turned to Garia.

"What does your commander do, milady? Is that another of your devices?"

"Oh! Yes, Master Yarling. I keep forgetting I have this thing with me now."

Garia pulled the cap from the leather tube hanging from her belt and brought out her own small telescope. Keren remembered that he also had one and pulled his own out.

"This is a device which can make distant things seem a little closer," she said. "There are magnifying lenses in each end and if I pull it out," she did so, "you can have a look for yourself. Here. You might find it blurred to start with, you have to twist -"

Garia explained how to use the telescope before handing it over. Yarling took it gingerly and placed it to an eye, waving it about until he found how to focus on something distant. Eventually he gave it back to Garia with a bow.

"Another amazing device, milady. I can see it might have many uses, even for such a person as myself. Might I ask? Would it be possible for me to obtain one of these, or is the use restricted?"

"The only restriction is that of demand," she replied. "As you say, they are so useful many people want one. I might also add that they are being made in a number of different shapes and sizes. This is just a small personal version, given to a number of us as gifts by the guilds in Palarand. You think this might help you in your work here?"

"Aye, milady. To inspect the valley without having to climb for a bell each time would make my work here a little easier."

"Then I'll lend you mine, I think. I keep forgetting I have it with me when I ride so I won't miss it, but I'll want it back before I leave Blackstone, if you would."

Yarling was overcome. "Milady, I couldn't possibly -"

"Nonsense!" She began unbuckling the strap which held the case to her belt. "You have a real need for it at the moment and I don't, simple as that. If I need one I can always ask His Highness."

Yarling reluctantly accepted the case from Garia, holding it in one hand while using the telescope with the other. Once the others were satisfied with what they could see they all climbed down and returned to the camp fire.

"Milady?" Feteran asked. "Do you wish to ride before lunch?"

"I think so, commander. That was the original idea, wasn't it? Let's go over there, it can't be more than two marks or so."

"As you wish, milady."

Feteran began issuing commands. A number of the men remained at the camp site while others made ready to escort Keren and Garia on their ride. They collected their animals, mounted and set off westward along the ridge. As they left the end of the valley the group veered south to follow the ridge along the valley side. Soon they had advanced enough that they faced Blackstone, lying snug under the opposite valley wall.

"It looks very small from up here," Garia remarked. "When we're down there in the town it seems so big and busy but from up here it seems little more than a village."

"Milady," Michen replied, "we know our town is but a poor outpost, far from the life and bustle of such places as Tranidor, but we do not expect any more from it. It is enough for most of us and we have almost all that we need." He looked at Garia. "That is why many were surprised when Blackstone was announced a barony. We could not understand the reason unless it was to give some pampered noble a title in name only." Garia opened her mouth but Michen continued, "Milady, we were surprised when we understood just who you were and what you intend for us. It seems our King and his brother show rare judgment in this matter. To give you a title which other nobles consider a matter for laughter means they do not enrage the nobility with accusations of favoritism. By the time the wealth beneath our slopes begins to flow it will be too late to complain."

Keren said, "Aye, Michen, that is what my father and uncle planned. But do not imagine that all nobles are so easily deceived. There will be work ahead for all of us for this project to succeed without opposition."

"As you say, Highness."

Yarling had dismounted and was sketching the town with charcoal and parchment. He looked up at Garia.

"Milady, this is an excellent vantage point. I can see the whole town clearly and it will permit me to consider my thoughts more easily. If I may finish?"

"Of course. We're in no hurry today. The more detail we can get now the less we'll miss later on."

Once Yarling had finished they continued riding along the west ridge of the valley until the ground ahead dipped sharply toward the first of the narrow canyons which cut the valley each side.

"This is about as far as we can go, I think," Garia decided.

She looked west along the narrow, crooked channel cut into the rock in front of them. The mountains disappeared into the distance in all directions, hazy beneath the weakening sun.

"How far away that direction is the Palar valley, do you think?"

"I have no idea, milady," Michen responded. "Someone will have made the journey, no doubt, but not in recent years. Perhaps thirty, even forty marks." He shook his head. "I am but guessing, milady. I know the herders take their flocks along these narrow ways to the uplands you can see beyond but they do not venture far from Blackstone except in high summer."

"Thank you, Michen. Commander?"

"It all sounds safe, milady, but were we to be quartered here permanently I would send surveying parties along all these side ways so that we knew as much as possible about such places. As it is," he shrugged, "there seems little point when we may be needed closer to Blackstone. At any rate I believe that I now begin to understand this landscape. I take it you plan to ride over that side after lunch, milady?"

"That was the general idea, yes." She turned to the other riders. "Have we all seen enough?"

"Milady, there is coal down there," Yarling said, pointing. "The seams are narrow, as I would expect, but I can see at least three from here. We may be able to make use of such deposits. And of course, there is water flowing through this narrow way. That may be the more valuable resource to us in the future."

Garia nodded. "Yes. Water is going to be our main problem, I think. I may have some ideas about that although I don't know how practical they'll be. Let's get back to the camp, I'm beginning to feel as though I need to eat some lunch soon."

They rode back at an easy canter and soon made themselves comfortable around the camp. More pel was set to brew while they began eating the food they had brought with them. Because this was just a short day's ride out the food was cold and mostly eaten in the hand but that was not unusual for circumstances like these. While they sat and ate Yarling had some questions.

"Milady, since you seem to have some knowledge of the formation of rocks, indeed, in many respects your knowledge exceeds my own, I wondered if you had any explanation for the Stone Sea. I cannot think how such an arrangement may have happened."

"What, me? I don't know anything about geology, Master Yarling. Uh, not in the detail you seem to think I do."

Then Garia realized that wasn't entirely true. Yarling and the other miners had practical knowledge of particular rock formations and how to get the precious ores out of them but they didn't have the long view about how the rocks had gotten there in the first place. Garia didn't have the detail but at least she had the long view.

"Well," she continued, "I could make an educated guess, I think. You know how rocks get worn down over many, many years through the action of wind, ice and water? That's how river valleys and all the other features you can see around you get formed."

"Aye, milady," Yarling said slowly. All the others listened intently, since what Garia would doubtless explain would be something else new to Alaesia. Yarling asked, "Exactly how many years are we talking about, milady?"

"Oh, I don't know. It probably varies for all kinds of reasons. We're generally talking thousands, millions of years, perhaps."

"So long, milady?"

"Yes. Look, think of where we are sitting, for instance. Once upon a time that valley, the Bray, wasn't there at all. Perhaps we would have been sitting on a cliff-top perhaps twice as high as we are now. Over there, where the Stone Sea begins, would have been a cliff edge and a long drop to a real sea. We're talking maybe one hundred, two hundred million years ago now."

There was a startled silence as her listeners tried to envision such an appalling distance of time.

"Okay," she continued, "now let's suppose that the whole land begins to sink beneath the sea, cliff and all. Very soon, we're deep under water and the sea is full of tiny marine creatures that live in shells. When these creatures die their shells sink to the ocean floor and over time build up deposits. Are you with me so far?"

Yarling's face lit up. "Ah! Now I understand, milady. We have often wondered how limestone came to be filled with so many tiny shells. You say these are all sea creatures? Does the land go up and down all the time, then?"

"It does go up and down but extremely slowly, Master Yarling. It would take many thousands of years to do that and no-one would really be aware of it. Now, you can see what happens. The shells fall everywhere so they fill up both below the cliff and on top of it. Remember, this takes millions of years so that the rock has time to build up such a great thickness. Eventually the land rises again and sticks out of the ocean forming a new land mass. Then the weather gets to work on it and erodes the top levels away. Eventually, we end up with the situation we have today with two completely different rock types side by side." She shook her head. "That might not be exactly what happened, I'm only guessing. But it is a likely explanation."

"Milady, I am astonished once again," Yarling said. "I am not accustomed to thinking in such great numbers of years but, with your explanation, I can see how what you have described to us may have happened. I had not thought Anmar to be so old."

"You'll have to go back much further than that," Garia told him. "My world is thought to be about four and a half billion years old. There are ways of measuring the age of rocks." Yarling looked interested so she added, "we won't be able to use those techniques for a long time yet, I'm afraid. We'll just have to make educated guesses based on what we see in the field."

After lunch they mounted up and rode east, to the valley ridge above the town. Garia wanted to get a proper feel for the lands around Blackstone Vale.

"I notice there are rock outcrops this side, and going east." She pointed to a clump of rounded reddish boulders sticking out of the turf.

"Aye, milady. On top of the highest coal deposits this side is a cap of sandstone. It is a hard rock most useful for grinding grain and sharpening tools. Although it is very hard it does fracture so can be quarried with some effort. In some places it is used as a good building material, but Bezan can probably tell you more about that when he arrives tonight."

"Is it going to make it difficult to get at the coal underneath?"

"No, milady, we can go in at the edges. Although, supporting such a large mass will be difficult once we remove the coal."

"Would it be easier just to take the whole lot off?"

Yarling stared at Garia, speechless. She grinned back at him.

"Look, you're probably thinking that removing all this would be a big waste of effort just to end up with a huge amount of leftover rock. You've just told me this is useful stuff, haven't you? We're going to need an immense amount of building material to make this project work and here it is, in the way of the top layer of coal. It isn't going to be wasted effort. We can even set up a side industry selling mill wheels and grindstones."

"Milady, once again I underestimate you. You are right, of course."

They rode some way along the ridge at the north side of Blackstone Vale before Feteran looked at the angle of the sun and suggested that perhaps they ought to be getting back. Reluctantly Garia turned and the party made its way back to the camp. Another drink was waiting for them when they arrived, those who had remained at the camp having seen them approach in the distance.

Garia had just finished her pel and was wondering where it might be best to go to let some of it out when she was startled by three pakh galloping past the camp, their necks stretched out in front as they fled. As they reached the point beyond the picket lines where the ridge widened to form the head of the valley the three scattered in different directions. Behind her came a hoarse shout.

"Grakh! Tend your beasts!"

Everybody scrambled to their feet and made for the picket line. Garia didn't need to be told what the consequences might be if their frayen panicked, she had seen the results on Duke Norvelen's leg. When she reached the lines she could see that some of their mounts were already in trouble, pulling at their reins and bucking nervously. But Snep calmed down somewhat as soon as she reached him, putting a reassuring hand on his neck. She noticed that most of the other animals calmed as well when their riders arrived. The only person who seemed to be having trouble was Michen.

Ah. He still has the old-style saddle and hasn't had the benefit of my 'frayen-whispering'.

"Keren, help Michen," she said. "He doesn't have our rapport with our animals."

"Aye, Garia."

Under the circumstances Keren didn't stand on ceremony. He was closest to Michen and moved to assist while Garia did a quick scan of the skies to try and find the threat.

"There! Don't look, concentrate on your frayen. Four of them, coming from the east. Height, I dunno, about five hundred feet or so."

They were still a mark or more distant and looked like tiny black shapes flapping through the sky. They were heading parallel to the edge of the Stone Sea and Garia wondered if they had been seen.

Our clothing is pretty well blended in with the landscape, even the Palace Guard uniforms. The frayen are gray, perhaps we'll get away with this... damn, no, those pakh stand out with their white fleeces and they're scattering from the point where we all are. Nothing says 'food here' like - ah, shit.

She thought the last word as the grakh peeled off like an echelon of dive-bombers locating a target. They had obviously spotted the party.

Now, how do I get my swords out while still hanging on to Snep?

Garia noticed that others, hanging on to their animals and trying to calm them, were also trying to figure out how to make their weapons available in time as well.

Suddenly the line of diving creatures pulled up sharply, scattered in all directions. After some confusion they regrouped and flapped off strongly towards the north-west, ignoring the party on the ground. Garia scanned the skies for another possible threat but could find nothing.

"What was that all about? Why do you think they abandoned the attack?"

"I know not, milady," Feteran replied. "There are few things I know of that will deter grakh and I see nothing in the skies."

Garia breathed a sigh of relief. "I'm glad that's over."

Keren was standing tall, his telescope to his eye, aimed at the departing creatures.

"What do you see, Keren?"

"Fascinating. I have only ever seen such as these from a great distance, as you might understand. They are not avians but another kind of flying animal. Perhaps the ancestors of those creatures came from Earth as well."

"It's going to be almost impossible to find out, you realize. On Earth those things have been dead sixty five million years."

Keren closed the telescope with a snap and returned it to its case.

"I think perhaps it is time we returned to the town, don't you? I can take a hint." He indicated the skies.

"I agree. Commander?"

"Milady, what about the pakh? Should we offer to go round them up for the old man?"

Keren said, "Let's ask him."

Keren and Garia walked across to the lean-to where the man still sat in his chair.

"Grandfather, your flock has scattered. Shall we fetch them in for you before we leave?"

The old man flipped a hand in dismissal.

"You need not worry, lad. I know all of my flock, they will soon find their own way back once the panic is past. They'll be here before dark, I assure you. Do you depart?"

"Aye, grandfather. We must be back in the town before the sun sets. Fare you well."

"Fare you well, lad." The old man's gaze switched to Garia. He grinned. "I wish the girls rode as well as you do when I was the Prince's age," he said. "You stopped your beasts from panicking, too." He nodded. "You'll be good for Blackstone. Fare you well, milady."

"Fare you well, sir."

"Look after her, lad."

"I will, grandfather."

The two walked back to their camp, where the men were packing up the few remaining things and dousing the fire.

"Ready?" He asked.

"Aye, Keren. Let's go home."

~o~O~o~

Crossing the valley floor the grakh were still on Garia's mind.

"Ptuvil?"

"Eh? I don't know, Garia. We'll have to ask in the town, but I don't think there can be any that close to the town otherwise we would have been told. No, I believe they nest in the mountains far to the east of here."

"Far to the east? I thought there was just a couple mountain ranges and then we'd be at the coast of Vardenale."

Keren took one hand from his reins and rocked it.

"Maybe, but that still covers perhaps two hundred marks or so. Much of that land is untamed, lying between Palarand and Vardenale. Apart from the trade route which we followed on our way here I don't think many live in those wastes."

"That may change in the future if that is where the coal has ended up," she pointed out. "What is the policy on claiming empty land like that?"

"Father would have to meet the King of Vardenale and make up a treaty deciding who owned what and so on. Before that we'd both have to send out expeditions to properly map out the whole region. That could take years."

"Oh. That's for the future, I guess."

The party arrived at the cistern building just as the sun dipped below the mountainside opposite Blackstone. On the flat camping area a group of men were busy erecting tents beside four open wagons. There was a shout, the party stopped and Bezan walked over to join them.

"Highness, Milady, greetings! Did you have an interesting day out?"

"Aye, Bezan," Keren replied. "Have you heard of the Stone Sea?"

"Aye, Highness, I have, though I have never seen it." His eyes lit up. "Do you tell me it is beyond the ridge?"

"Barely. And we had a fright, four grakh flew overhead just as we were leaving. Who are those men?"

"Ah, Highness, those are the miners and laborers who will dig out the first consignment of coal for the south. We shall begin the extraction tomorrow. Grakh?"

"Aye. We came to no harm. We must needs find out what those in the town know of such creatures. Shall we see you this evening?"

Bezan bowed. "I am at your command, Highness, Milady."

"Then we shall leave you erect your camp and we will take our beasts back to their well-earned rest."

"By your leave, Highness."

Back at the Claw they headed directly to the stables to settle their frayen. While Garia was rubbing Snep down Merizel appeared.

"Everything went well?"

"Almost. Four grakh flew over just as we were about to return. We learned a great deal about the lands around Blackstone, you'll have to come with us up there one day. Yourself?"

Merizel quirked a smile. "Almost. You have some letters from the south, including one from the Queen, nothing serious enough to worry about. I managed to take a short ride with Sookie and Brydas and then after lunch I helped Sookie and Senidet go through the Claw's accounts." She frowned. "I had to send Lanilla home for the night. There was a serious disagreement between her and Jasinet."

"Oh? Lanilla told me this morning that Jasinet argued all the time."

"That wasn't quite the way I understood the situation," Merizel said slowly. "Aye, there was an argument but I have the impression Jasinet is behaving like a labris caught in a trap, which is why she is causing trouble."

Garia finished off settling Snep for the night and then the two walked across the yard to their quarters.

"I'm no good at dealing with this kind of situation, Merry. I've only been a girl some months, remember? Although I am now comfortable in my body here I don't have the experiences that any girl would have growing up. Could you handle this for me?"

"I'm not sure, Garia. I'm a noble and they are commoners, they treat me differently than they would behave with their own friends. I don't know how the young people in such a town as this behave. Why can't you do it? You manage the townspeople extremely well in my opinion."

"Yeah, but they are older, mostly. I have a different relationship with what I still see as adults and of course they treat me differently because I'm not just a noble but their liege. Jasinet and Lanilla are our own age and I'm not finding it easy to figure out how to handle people that age." Garia grinned. "Present company excepted, of course. My own friends, well, that's different."

"It's a different relationship, isn't it? We treat each other as equals but those two girls are staff so of course we see them differently. Back at South Reach I made friends with many of daddy's retainers when I was little but I never forgot that they were staff however friendly we became. It will be the same here."

"Yes." Garia sighed. "I still have much to learn, haven't I?"

"As you say. You haven't been brought up in our society so it isn't surprising you sometimes have more to find out. You are going to bathe before the evening meal?"

"After a whole day riding? You bet. Look, let's leave the problem of our new staff members until tomorrow. I think I want to have a word with Brydas before speaking to either of them again."

"What will you do this evening, then? There is nothing planned."

"We'll all meet in the common room and have a thorough debrief of today's ride."

"You'll need me to take notes, then." Merizel shivered as they began to climb the Womens' Stair. "Grakh, you say? Your travels are never boring, are they?"

up
388 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

New Industries

Thank you, thank, you, thank you! I've been about to have a nervous breakdown awaiting this installment.

If Blackstone sets up a cement factory for the limestone and mill wheel and grinding wheels in addition to the coal mining industry, it should become a very profitable town.

We still need to know what happened to the town mason. Is he recovering at home?

Best,

DJ

Another excellent chapter! It

Another excellent chapter! It was a nice ride, and Grakh, too. The additional industries will be a good start to prepare for expansion and I see the town growing and becoming very profitable. I can only imagine what the two girls are arguing about. I can't wait to find out what Garia's solution will be. I hope we will get filled in to the jist of the Queen's letter and I wonder how Milsy is doing? I'm sure you'll let us know things in time. lol

Thanks again for such a wonderful story and making the characters come alive for us. :D

Mark <3

I suspect...

That their riders reigned them in.

Their riders...

So, are they rulers, or riders? (reigned vs reined... or maybe even rained!)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Sorry

American is not my native language.

Um... American, or English?

Um... American, or English? (I'm not trying to poke fun, I'm trying to clarify)

That set of homonyms is common to all of the English dialects and variants.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

It was a joke.

My native language is English which differs considerably from American. There are just so many differences. Trivial differences but ones with impact.

For example the American usage of "come with" versus the English usage of "come" (imperative command) or "come with me" (request).

There are also many differences between English and Australian but not as many as between American and English.

Churchill had a point when he said that America and England were two countries separated by a common language.

The Stone Sea helps to

explain much of the mystery of Blackstone Vale. But what agency took care of the grakh? Is there a predator out there, or perhaps some sort of alien tech?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Well tnat's the coal and the limestone accounted for;

Now all that's needed is to find a large deposit of high grade iron ore, though the transport equasions will have to be sorted out.

Another good chapter Penny, it's fascinationm tracking the classic course of a burgeoning industrial revolution and yet knowing that the people of Paraland will have the benefits of Garia's prior knowledge of environmental and social perils emanating from the advances in science and engineering that are bound to come.

Thanks penny.

Bevs XX

bev_1.jpg

Ho hum...

There's certainly no getting away from the open nature of Keren and Garia's relationship, given even an old pakherd (given shepherd is a contraction of sheep herder, presumably a pakh herder could be called a pakherd) can spot Garia will be good for Keren pretty much at first sight!

Even once industry starts up, given the Stone Sea is likely to extend several Marks in width as well as several hundred in depth, and there are coal seams on the other side of the valley, it's possible that mining / quarrying in the area can be done without disturbing the pakherd's flock.

As the lands are surveyed, in addition to sketches of the terrain, the more abstract view of 'modern' maps would likely prove useful - so improving the local cartography skills may end up on Garia's ever-expanding "To Do" list. Additionally, particularly with the need to feed more water into Blackstone Vale, determining elevation information will be crucial to determine whether the geography lends itself to skimming some water off streams in neighbouring valleys and piping them into the Blackstone cistern (if there happens to be a convenient coal seam between the two valleys, that would be an ideal initial seam to tap, so eventually providing a route for the pipe into the hillside at one end, through it and out the other end).

Finally, there are two more minor mysteries to solve: the squabbling under-maids (Merry's description of Jasinet suggests she's floundering - so the solution may be one of more training, lighter workload or redeployment to other duties) and what scared off the Grakh (perhaps a Ptuvil far enough away to be hidden from view of the ground, but visible from the air; or the Grakh were on a reconnaissance mission).


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Grakh

I wonder what caused them to shear off? Perhaps it was the size of the party? Did they have riders, or were they not close enough to tell? These Grakh sound almost reminiscent to the birds of Gor, perhaps.

I shudder to think of what industrialization will do to Anmar. I was just doing research on the Industrialization of America 1820-1870.

Nice Chapter.

Gwendolyn

It's always the miner details that need to be dealt with

^_^

And she better have a really good system in place before they come en masse.

It really comes down to Blackstone having really good mining resources but it does not seem that water is going to be one of them considering that, correct me if I am wrong, the water is flows away from Blackstone after it goes through the limestone so it is not accessible at the moment.

Garia is continuing to impress the guilds and she will need all the support she can get when she finally has to lay down the law with the miners as to how they can mine.

Oh and she must be a rare noble indeed to have her town people to be moved to tears just by her asking after their well being. I shudder to think how the other Barons are treating their demense.

Kim

A little side thought

In the likelihood that they get married, I think it would be a great way to introduce Earth western music by playing Pachelbels canon at the wedding :) That would be awesome.

Kim

Hmmm, a letter from the

Hmmm, a letter from the Queen, wonder what it's going to say. Looking forward to more, thanks for sharing.

Big hugs

Lizzie :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

You never call, you never

You never call, you never write, what's a mother to do!


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Grand Day Out

terrynaut's picture

Hey! This was fun and interesting. It sounds like Garia and Snep had a grand day out.

I love Thera's comment about the grakh. It rings true.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

Push

They are getting more pushes to just get together.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

New view old lands

Jamie Lee's picture

It's good Garia got out and looked at the land around Blackstone, it gives Garia a chance to see what's there and, as she explained to Yarling, a chance to provide ideas of the why of things.

Keren finding a man who was with his grandfather has to be rare, that the man seems to be doing well even more amazing. The grandfather saw the same that others have seen between Keren and Garia, even how special she is without hearing all that she has done. An old man's eyes are sharper than that of the Queen, as is his vision.

As it's been explained, the flying shoppers aren't easily deterred when then go shopping, so why this time? Did it have to do with the rock sea wall, something that may be buried in that area, or Garia herself? Might the fact that Garia was there be the reason they vered off? Might they know to keep claws off any time she is there?

A letter from mom? Oy, what might mom want? Or might mom still worried about Garia and Keren getting too close? If that, she's too late on that front.

Others have feelings too.

There might have been

Some other interested parties oot and aboot, at least it seems that way to me. As to whom those parties might have been? Time will tell I expect!

I’m re-reading SEE again..

Aine Sabine's picture

I just realized Blackstone will grow in lane area as time goes on. Limestone is used in concrete, so as they mine coal, they’ll mine limestone. As they eat in to the Stone Sea more land area will open. This may be why Miley Campbell is a Countess 300 years later instead of a baroness. Or one of the reasons.

Aine

Actually in JoB lines are

Actually in JoB lines are redrawn a bit and Blackstone becomes a county

The Stone Sea

Actually the Stone Sea is composed of heavily weathered limestone which is almost impossible to travel across. They can and will quarry along the edge of it but getting any distance into that kind of rock will involve some serious effort. It is more likely that limestone for ironmaking will come from other, more easily manageable sources along the Palar valley.

Incidentally, the road north from Tranidor to Tel Botro eventually runs out of valley and has to go across the Stone Sea. The Chivans spent huge amounts of time and effort infilling what is effectively Badlands to make a stable roadway. Some historians at the University suspect that this may have been a factor in the eventual collapse of the Chivan empire.

Thanks for re-reading. I do it myself every now and then and find things I had forgotten writing!

Penny

What I suspect is that the

What I suspect is that the weathered limestone of the Stone Sea _will_ be quarried, and pretty quickly. However, it'll be used for concrete and cement, not for iron. While you can't travel into it, it's perfect for digging into and dragging out, and the weathering will make it easier to crush, if poorer 'quality' than they'd want for steel work. Basically, dig down into it from the 'wall' area initially, then eventually just move slowly out as they fill it with raw tailings, crushed sandstone, etc, and use steam shovels to haul it out.

Part of the concrete could be used _in_ the Stone Sea to build concrete reservoirs to supplement the water supply, part of it for building - especially along the new railroad path - and of course, for paving the wagon roads.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.