Alex in Wonderland - 11

Printer-friendly version
Alex always wanted to be a girl.
He gets his wish when he wakes up on an alien world.
Alex in Wonderland
Chapter 11
Tahrin

By
Amethyst
~To be fair,~ Michelle spoke in my mind, ~I would have totally been in on that action if I had known about it or had the coin to bet.~

 
Author's Note: Here's chapter 11 of Alex in Wonderland. Thank you as always to all my readers for the comments, kudos, and thinking that my work is worth reading. Also thanks to the Big Closet team who work tirelessly to give us all a wonderfully supportive venue to read and post TG fiction ~Amethyst.
 


 
Chapter 11: Tahrin

It was two suns after our uninvited guest and I was trying my best to concentrate in my morning Healing class. I was aroused, and it was bothering me. It wasn’t the arousal itself that was disturbing me; it was that it wasn’t Jezz making me feel that way, it was Trevas. I was glad class was almost over, so I could get a break from him. ~What’s wrong?~ Michelle asked, ~You’ve been distracted and horny all morning. It’s not corrune pollen again, is it?~

I gave her a mental shake of my head. ~No, after last time that was the first thing I thought, and frankly it terrified me, but I don’t smell any. It has a very distinctive scent. I thought maybe my sense of smell was off, but it actually seems to be in overdrive. I can smell people’s distinctive scents much better than normal right now. It’s just… Trevas smells good… really good, and it’s turning me on.~

~I thought you only had eyes, and a nose, for Jezz,~ was her reply.

~I know, so did I, that’s why this is bothering me so much. Thank Goddess class will be over soon.~ Class wasn’t over soon enough though, and I was really relieved to leave Trevas behind as Jezz and I walked hand in hand to the library for our other morning lessons with Patar.

~Are you alright my love?~ Jezz’s mind voice sounded concerned.

~Yeah, I think so sweetie, just something off with my nose I think.~ I tried to shrug it off.

~I noticed you looking at Trevas in class. You kept smiling, and then looking at him like you were confused.~ She gave my hand a gentle squeeze.

~That obvious, was I?~ I kissed her softly to reassure her. ~No matter what weird looks I may give Trevas, or any other male, you’re the only person I want.~ As if summoned by my thoughts, Tarn chose that moment to walk by. Then, as if it had been scripted, we both sniffed the air and turned to look at one another. He smelled really good too. I shook it off and we continued on our way. ~That was weird.~

~What was?~ my Cinole lover asked, sounding amused. ~The fact that you were looking at him the same way you were Trevas, or that he was looking at you the same way Trevas was earlier as well.~

I stopped and looked her in the eyes. ~Looking at me how exactly?~

She gave me a smile as she replied, ~Like a starving man at one of your mother’s formal dinners. Really hungry, but knowing very well that they had better be minding their manners if they want to eat. You really didn’t notice? It was written all over their faces, like desire and confusion was on yours.~

~Okay this is getting weird. I think I need to ask my mom about this. I’ll need to break our mental link to talk to her though. Let’s just keep heading to the library and hopefully I can talk to her as we walk.~ I gave her a kiss as I broke the mental link and reached out through the land for my mother. ~Mom? Do you have a moment?~

I could feel her wrapping me in a warm mental hug. ~I always have time for my daughter, Alexis dear.~

I returned the mental embrace as I spoke, ~Thanks Mom. I’ve been feeling really weird all morning, but I’m not sure if it’s a Zenin thing or if I should see a more experienced Healer about it, since Jezz doesn’t seem to know what’s going on either.~

~What’s wrong dear?~ she asked, her voice tinged with concern.

~I was having trouble focusing all through my Healing lessons. I kept getting distracted by Trevas.~

~What was he doing that was distracting you?~ she queried.

~That’s the thing, he wasn’t doing anything!~ I was sounding frustrated, even to myself. ~He just smelled really nice, and Jezz said he kept looking at me too, but I was too distracted to notice. And the same thing just happened with Tarn in the hall.~

Suddenly I felt her giggling in my mind. She must have felt my confusion, because she quickly apologized. ~I am sorry Alexis, it’s just that we have gotten so close over the past few sevensuns that I sometimes forget you weren’t born Zenin, or at least your mind wasn’t.~

~So it’s a Zenin thing then?~ I asked uncertainly.

~Yes,~ she replied, ~it’s the Tahrin. Like your moon cycle you’ll be going through this once every four sevensuns. It means that you are at your most fertile, and it typically lasts about three suns. During the Tahrin you will instinctively want to mate to conceive a child, so male Zenin will smell very good to you. You will also smell very good to male Zenin, and they will have the desire to mate with you. It can be bothersome, but you will get used to it and it does help to conceive children.~

~Oh just great. Why didn’t I notice this when I first got here? I know that was almost exactly four sevensuns ago. You’d think that I’d have noticed being easily distracted and super horny,~ I retorted.

~Think about it,~ she answered. ~Where were you exactly four sevensuns ago?~

We were almost to the library and Jezz gave me a look as I groaned at the memory. ~I was in the Frozen Wastes when I got here.~

~And how long were you there for?~ she pushed.

~I was in the cave and the valley for four days before Patar found me,~ I answered. And then it hit me. ~Oh! I think I get it! My body already felt strange and different to me, and I was focused on surviving. So with no male Zenin around to smell good I just didn’t notice it.~

~Exactly,~ she replied while giving me another mental hug. ~My advice is that if you don’t want to produce an heir yet, try to avoid too much time around male Zenin. The longer you’re with them, the more intense the desire will become in you both.~

~Thanks Mom,~ I said, mentally hugging her back again. ~I should get ready for my lesson and let Jezz in on why I’m acting so strange. I love you, and I’ll see you at dinner.~

~I love you too dear. I’m glad Itari allowed you to become Heir, it’s made us become so close these past sevensuns.~ With that we broke the connection and I breathed a deep sigh.

~So did your mother have an answer for you?~ Jezz asked curiously as we entered the library and her hand gripped mine tighter.

I groaned as we sat down. ~Yeah she did. Michelle is going to love this.~

~Do tell,~ spoke my Drakan’s mental voice, tinged with interest.

~It’s a Zenin thing,~ I reported with all the seriousness I could. ~It’s my other time of the month.~ Both Jezz and our Drakans were confused, so I elaborated. ~Once every four sevensuns I not only get my moon cycle, but also something called the Tahrin. It happens when my body is at its most fertile. My body decides it’s ready to procreate and it makes sure that I, and any male Zenin that are nearby, know it.~

Michelle chortled in our minds, ~You’re in heat! Oh that’s rich. At least you know when the best time is for you to become a baby factory. So are you planning on taking the plunge? You and Jezz would make good mommies,~ she teased.

I quickly shot back, ~We would, but I think we have our hands full with you and Grayle at the moment. More babies will have to wait.~ I gave her a mental raspberry as Jezz and I got comfortable and we waited for Patar to show up.

=^..^=

I was eating a picnic lunch with Jezz, Michelle, and Grayle behind the castle when Patar’s voice slipped into my mind. ~Your Highness, Gella and Iriden have returned from tailing the imperial spy. They should be over the palace shortly.~

~Thank you Patar,~ I replied. ~Could you all come join us out here? It will be more comfortable I think.~

~As you wish Your Highness,~ he responded before leaving me to my thoughts once more.

I leaned down and kissed Jezz, who was reclining beside me. “We’re about to get company sweetie.”

Moments later Runne landed at the water’s edge, accompanied by a massive Radiant Drakan. I had never seen a Drakan that large since coming here. ~If Iriden is any indication sis, you’re going to grow up to be a big girl,~ I teased Michelle.

Michelle snorted as we all got up to go meet the pair. ~It will just make me that much better at protecting you.~

We approached and I gave the unfamiliar Radiant pair a smile as Gella and Patar dismounted. Patar quickly grinned at me, as he gave me theslight bow that seemed to be a habit with him when greeting me. “I hope that you enjoyed your lunch Your Highness. May I present Iriden the Radiant, and his Chosen Gella.”

Gella was a human woman, probably in her early thirties, with long black hair held back in a braid and piercing blue eyes. She was a bit short and looked like she did well to keep herself in shape, but I wondered how she managed in combat with her large chest. I was having enough problems with my breasts being on the large side of average, but hers were huge. She was quick to give me a bow of her own, and a smile, as she was introduced and I noticed that Iriden was doing the same. It seemed like they were a good pair. “It is a pleasure to finally meet you Your Highness. I could not have been happier when I heard that you had been paired with a Radiant,” she said as she turned her smile to Michelle.

I thought I might never get used to people bowing to me. I returned her smile and replied, “Please rise, this is an informal meeting. I don’t think anyone could have been happier than me when Michelle hatched. It’s nice to finally meet another Radiant pair, though I guess there are only three of us, so there’s only one other besides you to meet.” I gestured to Michelle, Jezz, and Grayle. “This is Michelle of course, and her sister Grayle and my companion Jezz, Grayle’s Chosen. How fared your spying on the spies?”

Gella stood up straight, and I forced myself to focus on her eyes rather than her chest, as she began to speak again. “They never noticed us Your Highness. The man we were following met with a strange craft that picked him up and carried him back over the mountains. They seemed rather relieved to hear him report you to be an ‘imbecile’, as he called you. The craft they took him away on seems to be the first of its kind, and they are hoping for enough time to create many more of them, but larger and for carrying troops. From what they said the craft took a lot of work to build, and a good deal of kida to enchant it to fly.”

I frowned at that, “I’m not sure I like the sounds of that.”

She nodded her head. “Aye Your Highness, a lot of those craft carrying troops could easily attack from anywhere in Azure, even the capital.”

I shook my head as I looked at her. “I was already half expecting these crafts, or something like them, and I think countermeasures can be found. What I don’t like, is how they’re so concerned about me. I’m only the heir; if war came it would be my mother and father who would lead us, and they are both powerful Thaumaturges. Maybe the Empire knows something we don’t.”

Patar nodded grimly. “I will double the guards on the walls and the gate, and I will post guards outside both your rooms and the Queen’s rooms.”

I didn’t think there was much else we could do besides that so I nodded. “That sounds good Patar. Gella, do you think you could draw what the craft that they were using looks like?”

The Chosen in question looked to Iriden, and then back at me. “I think we can do much better than that Your Highness.” The large Radiant laid his head on the ground and seemed to focus on a spot in front of him on the lake’s surface. The air looked hazy and a shape started to form. A moment later there was a slightly translucent boat-like object, roughly twenty feet in length, resting on the water’s surface. It appeared to be mostly wood and of poor construction and three men sat in it, one of which I recognized as my good buddy Don.

I reached out tentatively to touch it, but my hand passed through it. “Wow, cool hologram.” Pretty much everyone except Michelle gave me strange looks at that and I quickly corrected myself, “I mean, that’s a nice illusion. I hope Michelle can learn to do that, it could come in handy. Are they always slightly see-through?”

Gella shook her head. “No, they can look as solid as you or me, but it takes more concentration for the Drakan, especially with something as large as this.”

I nodded absently as I thought about the possibilities. “This could definitely be useful. I take it from the size of the occupants that this is full size?”

“Yes Your Highness, as I said they seemed to be testing this one before moving on to building much larger ones for their army,” she replied.

“I see,” I said as I examined the boat, but I couldn’t seem to find anything scientific that might account for its flight. “So it will likely take them some time to construct the larger ships, and some time and effort to enchant each one as well.”

She nodded and signaled to Iriden and the boat vanished. “That is a reasonable assumption Your Highness, though it may be worth it to have me and Iriden, or Kalem and Parol, try to fly over and see if they have begun construction already, and possibly get some additional information if we can.”

I sighed as I considered that. “It would be good idea, but I’m not sure I’m willing to risk you yet. Michelle and I won’t be able to fly for a while which leaves only two Radiants we can use for border patrols and spying missions. Perhaps though, we could send in a Shadow pair for a night reconnaissance?”

Patar nodded, looking thoughtful as he replied, “That would be a good alternative. We have four Shadows that are flying and they should be able to remain undetected if they go in at night. If anything goes wrong they can escape quickly enough that people probably won’t realize they were there in the first place.”

“Okay then,” I replied, “let’s run the idea by Mom and Dad tonight and see what they think." After that was decided we talked for a bit longer and Iriden had Michelle display her invisibility skills. He seemed impressed with her development so far, and by the fact that she had noticed the spy’s invisibility trick. He did offer her some advice on creating illusions though, since she hadn’t begun to work with them yet. Once we were all finished talking, Gella and Iriden headed home to get some rest before going back out on border patrol and Patar pulled out a map of the continent of Gaje and began our afternoon lesson.

There were some survival tips involved in the lesson, but mostly we learned about the Lharusian Empire. From what he told us, the lands surrounding the Gate to Earth used to belong to the Zenin and was called Tarsa. Then when Humans started to arrive around three thousand years ago, those druids were just travellers and explorers and interacted peacefully with the local Zenin. But around a thousand years ago, more and more Humans came through the Gate, intent on settling in the Greylands and fleeing persecution from their own kind. The Zenin welcomed them and helped them to start a village, but the Humans kept taking more and more land and begin to expand as their population grew.

Then Lharus began giving those who craved power Gifts and the Gift War had begun. Great Thaumaturge battles were fought and Enchanted items were used as weapons of war. Humans began to see the other races of the Greylands as a threat, and we Zenin were forced to flee our ancestral home as the Humans took over and started killing non-humans on sight. We made our way north over the Great Sands and into Azure, as the Humans claimed what was once ours and began their expansion though most of the continent.

As I thought about that a nagging thought prodded me to reach into the earth and ask Itari. ~How can Lharus plan to use the Earth Gate if it’s no longer complete? I went to some of the Gate sites on Earth before I started college and they all seem to be either incomplete or damaged. I think the Gate that James O’Donnell used was probably the one at Avebury, as it was the most complete, but shortly after he left Earth the locals started destroying many of the standing stones there for religious and practical reasons.~

It was a moment before She responded and I thought that She might be considering whether telling me was interfering in the life of a mortal or not. ~Earth will likely be in chaos when the Gods and magic return and Danu will wish to restore order, but since She will not directly interfere, outside help may be needed. One of the first things that She will do is to restore knowledge of the Gates, and how to rebuild or repair them, to Her chosen followers.~

~And of course Lharus’ followers will be happy to help, just so they can get their foot in the door,~ I spat out venomously in my mind. ~They’ll make allies for their war against us and make the first step toward trying to take over both worlds. We’ll need to destroy the Empire’s Gate.~

~You already knew that, and intended to anyway Alexis, and I can tell you no more without interfering,~ She replied.

~Isn’t giving people knowledge of the Gates and other such things interfering?~ I asked.

~Some people are very close to the divine and certain Gods or Goddesses, and their link to us instinctually tells them what they need to know,~ She admitted. ~Or one of those has placed the knowledge somewhere for future followers of that Deity. You for instance bear a closeness to both myself and Selune, so you would be able to figure out a lot of the knowledge you have received from us on your own, or through your studies, so that kind of knowledge we could share with you. We will not however, tell you things you would not be able to manage on your own. Do not think that your precognitive Gift is Selune or any other God sending you visions. It is a Gift and we cannot control how it is used by you. These dreams are influenced by your subconscious, and your connection to the divine.~

~Okay, so putting my dreams aside, You are saying that it’s okay to interfere if it’s a close follower of Yours with innate knowledge or talent?~ I thought that was a bit shady. Apparently even the Gods’ rules have loopholes.

~It is a grey area,~ She agreed with my unspoken thought.

~Thanks Itari, I’ll talk with You later.~ I sent back, now as confused as ever.

I heard her respond, ~I will look forward to it Alexis,~ as I closed my connection to the earth magic and started paying attention to my lessons once again.

=^..^=

Combat practice was far too long during the afternoon. Not only were Jonth and I both distracted by my Tahrin, but the fact that we were both perspiring a lot seemed to make it even worse than it had been with Trevas earlier in the morning. I was using all my force of will just to keep on attacking the straw practice dummy in front of me. I caught myself looking at him again; his young yet handsome face, his feline grace, and the flexing of his muscles as he would toss a throwing knife. He smelled so nice and this was getting harder and harder to control. Dammit why wasn’t he wearing a shirt?! "Well that’s less to take off," the instinctive part of me said. I snarled as I slashed again at the dummy and tried to keep myself in control.

~Is something wrong Your Highness?~ Lannah asked in my mind.

~Everything is just peachy,~ I answered, trying not to snap at her. This wasn’t her fault. ~What makes you think that something is wrong?~

~Well, you and Jonth are both really distracted today, it’s not like you. Also, you just sliced that poor practice dummy’s head clean off.~ I looked back at the dummy in front of me and discovered that she was right. How had I not noticed that? ~Even if I didn’t have all that to go by, you’re not controlling your empathy as well as you usually do. We’re all feeling your emotions, and they are really chaotic. You’re switching from anger, arousal, discomfort, arousal, doubt, arousal, fear, arousal and joy in less time than it takes to blink.~

~You said arousal four times, I’m really that bad?~ I asked.

~Only to everyone in the practice yard,~ she replied.

~Well damn,~ I said as I looked at the decapitated dummy. ~It’s a Zenin thing. My body wants to get knocked up, and it’s conspiring to make me and Jonth want to jump each other’s bones.~ I received confusion at that and realized that I really have to stop using Earth phrases all the time. Especially in mind speech, since it causes the receiver to just get a jumble of confused ideas. People could think I’m crazy or an imbecile. I quickly corrected myself. ~My body thinks it wants to make a baby, and it’s making me and Jonth both smell really good to one another so we’ll do it. My instincts are saying hell yes, but I’m trying not to give in to them.~

~That would explain why Jonth hasn’t hit his target once today,~ she said with a mental giggle. ~He is pretty cute though, I certainly wouldn’t mind a toss in bed with him.~

~I’m not arguing that fact, but I think Jezz might get the idea I was being unfaithful if I showed up pregnant,~ I retorted. Then I realized what she said. ~Goddess! You’re sweet on Jonth aren’t you?~

I could feel a bit of embarrassment from her as she replied, ~Maybe a little. We’ve been talking while taking care of Snow and Xuth and he seems very sweet, and he is cute too. I don’t understand this uncertainty that you have about having more than one partner. It’s done in Azure all the time, and I don’t mind sharing him with you. Some people wed in groups of three or four. A lot of female couples take on a male partner for a while when they want to have children if they wish to remain just a pair.~

~Well my Mom and Dad are only a pair, so I guess I’m just used to that.~ It was the truth so I didn’t feel bad telling her that.

She gave a mental shrug at that and didn’t pry, but she did offer advice. ~Past Queens have had more than one Consort. They just choose one to be their official one so that people know who’s in charge in the absence of the Queen or heir. Don’t let the idea of being attracted to someone else bother you so much, especially if it is just your instincts taking over. Ask Jezz if she has a problem with it. You’ll need to think about it someday regardless, if you are going to produce an heir.~

I knew she was right and I sighed as I responded, ~I’ll talk to her. Thanks Lannah, you’re not just a good guard, you’re becoming a good friend too. And if I might offer some advice of my own, if Jonth is feeling anything like I am right now then it might be a very good time for you to have that toss in bed you’d like to have with him once we’re done here.~

I could practically feel her grinning at me. ~I’ll get right on that Your Highness.~

=^..^=

Mom and Dad liked the idea of sending one of our Shadow pairs into the empire and it was decided that Nisa and Toran would be the pair to go, since they had the most experience of any of our Shadows. They would leave the next afternoon so that they could make the empire by nightfall. They also approved Patar’s request for additional security and started to quietly send out notices to all the towns and villages that we would be training anyone willing to be soldiers for a possible invasion. Finally, they sent out word to Stone Drakan pairs that their tunneling abilities would soon be required to construct a mountain base. We spent a good portion of the evening after dinner poring over maps to look for a good site for such a base.

I was nervous through all this planning. We were actually preparing for war, and the thought bothered me. I also had a nagging feeling of dread hovering about the back of my mind. Why would the empire care about me when it was my mother who would lead us? They were planning something and I resolved to have a weapon close at hand while I was sleeping for a time. Finally though, we broke off our planning session and I returned to my rooms where Chrissy, Pounce, Jezz, and I all participated in a group snuggle. After practice I had been tempted to ravish Jezz, but the serious nature of our post dinner planning had killed any desire I had.

So we satisfied ourselves with kissing and cuddling, and stroking the fur of our animal companions. Finally I managed to bring up the topic we needed to talk about, and that was making me fairly nervous. ~Jezz sweetie, I’m nowhere near ready to have children yet, but Lannah convinced me that this is something we should talk about.~

~This Tahrin is really bothering you isn’t it?~ she asked. ~What’s so wrong about having children? You know you’ll need to produce an heir someday.~

I sighed as I looked into her eyes. She really didn’t see what my problem was. ~It’s not having children that bothers me. I love you, and where I come from it’s not normal for people to have relationships that are more than two people. Even relationships with two people of the same sex are often frowned upon. Lannah said people have committed relationships of more than two people in Azure all the time, but I don’t want you to ever think I don’t love you, just because I have a baby with someone else someday.~

~That’s what’s bothering you?!~ She started to giggle and it got so bad that she was wiping tears from her eyes. ~I’m sorry my love but it’s funny. Love is a gift that we give to those who are special to us, and it’s silly to think a person can only love or be attracted to just one person. I know you’ll be attracted to others, just like I will be. Speaking of Lannah, I find her almost as attractive as I find you.~

I groaned at that. ~Well that explains why Lannah said I should talk to you, and why she said she wouldn’t mind sharing Jonth with me.~

She giggled again as she kissed me. ~I think she might be attracted to us too my love. What I’m saying is that I know you love me and I love you, but if you wanted to bring a third or even a fourth person into our relationship, I have no problems with that so long as we both like them. It wouldn’t change the fact that we love one another. You really need to get over your Earth bred inhibitions. In case you have not noticed it, the Greylands are nothing like your home world, especially Azure.~

~This is a very strange place, but I think I like it,~ I said as I kissed her back, ~but I would like any place so long as you and our Drakans were there with me.~ She smiled at that and laid her head on my breast and we fell asleep like that in one another’s arms.

=^..^=

The next two days were even harder to get through than the first day of my Tahrin, as it seemed to get stronger each day that I didn’t try to conceive. Practice time was the worst, and neither Jonth nor I could seem to focus on what we were doing. The others seemed very amused by this, particularly Jezz and Lannah. Finally at the end of practice on the third day we finished up and everyone stopped what they were doing to hand Jezz two copper coins. Even Patar handed some coins over to her. In fact the only ones who didn’t were Jonth and I. I frowned and crossed my arms as I watched the exchange. “Okay spill it. What’s going on?”

Lannah grumbled, “Jezz won, and I was sure you wouldn’t be able to last until the end of practice.”

“Jezz won what?” Jonth asked. I tried not to look at him, since smelling him was bad enough.

“She won the bet,” Rozia said with a shrug. “I only gave you two half a candlemark before you found some excuse to go off on your own somewhere, I’m so disappointed.”

I blinked several times at that. “You had a betting pool going on how long we could focus on our practice?”

Patar waved that off. “No Your Highness, that would have been a fools bet. Neither of you was focusing at all.”

Rozia nodded in agreement before adding, “We were betting on how long it would take you both to make excuses and find a quiet place to… get to know one another better. Jezz was the only one who thought that you’d both make it all the way until the end of practice today.”

“An’ t’ the vict’r go the spoils.” Jezz grinned.

I knew that I was probably blushing under my fur at this point. “I can’t believe that you were all betting on how long it would take us to have sex.”

~To be fair,~ Michelle spoke in my mind, ~I would have totally been in on that action if I had known about it or had the coin to bet.~

~Et tu Michelle?~ I shot back with a groan. Then aloud I added, “Why in hell would you even hold a bet on something like that?”

“Becaussse we care of courssse,” Irric put in. “You’re our friendsss and you were both obviousssly needing to do sssomething about the sssexual frussstration. It almossst makesss me glad I’m not a Zenin right now.”

I shook my head. “I appreciate your concern, but really our sex lives are none of your business and I am not ready to be producing any heirs yet. Patar, I can’t believe you were in on this.”

Patar shrugged, I still think that looks weird on a guy with four arms. “Your mother wasn’t heir very long before you were conceived. The way you’ve been looking at one another the past few suns I figured it was going to happen sooner or later. I should have listened to Runne though. He said you would last almost to the end of practice.”

I groaned as I facepalmed. “Even Runne was in on this?”

~They’re teasing you Your Highness,~ Lannah’s voice spoke in my mind. ~Sure we made the bet in fun, but if we didn’t want you knowing about it we would have paid Jezz privately. We did so in front of you as a way to congratulate both you and Jonth for not giving in to your baser instincts. Only Irric really knows what it’s like for a Zenin male, and none of us know how hard it must have been for you, but this is our way of saying that we’re proud of you. You’re a very strong woman and if you show the strength of will in the future that you’ve shown for the past few suns you’ll be a great Queen for us someday.~

~Thanks Lannah, you’re all great. I guess I really have to get over some of my hang ups. Are you going to get to know Jonth better again?~ I teased back, feeling better now that I knew it hadn’t been meant to be offensive.

~Oh to be sure I am,~ she replied. ~You and Jezz are always welcome to join us if you like.~

~Maybe another time, I think I still need time to adjust to the idea of more than one partner. Once I do you’ll be the first to know,~ I sent back. ~Enjoy yourselves, and I’ll see you both tomorrow.~

~We will Your Highness.~ This was accompanied by a mental wink before she added, ~I’ll see you tomorrow.~

I nodded as I spoke aloud. “Okay everyone, Patar set us free so go back to your Drakans and we’ll see you tomorrow.” Then to Lannah I added, ~Oh and one more thing Lannah, call me Alex.~

=^..^=

After practice I had a talk with Alizia and my mother. Alizia told us that the Gate would take five tenths to complete, since she would have to have her Thaumaturges travel to obtain some of the materials necessary and creating the stones in the proper shapes would take a large degree of fine control. She was hoping it would be prepared in plenty of time for us to find allies for the upcoming war with the empire. I thought that would be good timing, since Michelle would be roughly seven months, or six tenths, old by that time and would be able to accompany me through the Gate on our searches for allies.

After dinner we had another planning session, and it was decided that the empire would most likely fly their ships in through Lannik Pass. The pass was treacherous on foot, but it was the only place with a gap in the mountains wide enough for a large amount of their ships to fly. The Brey Mountains were simply too high to easily fly over, since the air would be too thin to breathe properly at that altitude. We decided that we should build our base there to keep watch on the pass, and to have troops ready in case they did choose that path. It was also decided that we would have Drakans patrolling the coast and the edge of the Great Sands as well, just to be cautious. Finally, Nisa and Toran had reported in and they had found nothing yet to indicate any construction of ships or any military movement on the part of the empire.

When I finally got to bed that night I was exhausted and quite content to cuddle with Jezz as Chrissy happily hummed on the pillow beside me. We talked with Michelle and Grayle for a time and both of them teased me a bit about the bet. Jezz merely grinned and said that she knew I wouldn’t let my instincts get the best of me. Maybe it was something Jezz or Lannah had said, combined with my sexual frustration over the past three suns, but I had some very erotic dreams that night, and Jezz wasn’t the only person playing a part in them.

 © 2013 Amethyst Gibbs

Image by Andree Wallin at http://andreewallin.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=24

up
199 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I think what makes it different

... is that Zenins do not have a all or none situation with regard to having a 'mate' or have desire to be with somebody they love. She has Jezz and I believe she feels sexually attracted to her even if she is of a different species. A bit weird if you really think about it.

Animals who have estrous typically do not have sexual desire at other times. I suspect for Zenins it is merely a failsafe?

Kim

Zenin Estrous

Amethyst's picture

It's mostly a fail safe and a throwback to their evolutionary roots. Zenin are sexually active at other times and mostly see it as a built in form of family planning. They can plan having children at the right times and be careful at that time if they don't want kids. It's something they just get used to growing up Zenin. It only really hit Alex so hard because she's not used to it. The boys didn't jump on her in passion so they obviously had some control over themselves. Although being young it was probably hard for them too. Sure it gets hard to deal with when you're with someone for long periods of time but it can be controlled. The big difference between Zenin and cats is self awareness and free will, they don't have to be slaves to their instincts if that will is strong enough.

Typically Zenin have large families because once they decide to have a family, estrous doesn't matter much to them when they are with their spouses. There's a reason that Alex's family isn't, which is explored in the next chapter along with some questions Alex will want answered now that she can think clearly again. Also estrous is at it's most intense during their teens as their hormones settle. Think about how horny most teens are then factor in estrous as well. It loses some of it's intensity once they are out of their teens and their hormones have settled.

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Not Alex in Wonderland but

Not Alex in Wonderland but Alex in heat :) I'm quite curious how earth will take the magic or if something will throw a spanner into the gods' plans. It would be too sad if they didn't suddenly become their followers. Praying to one god for years... and the number of atheists might do something about earth resistance against magic. It'S quite interesting so far. I can't wait for the next chapter.

Thank you for writing this captivating story,
Beyogi

Gates ?

So, there is another author that correctly recognizes humans as the scourge of creation. Well, not all of them, but a lot.

Really enjoying this.

Gwendolyn

Alex in Wonderland - 10

Good chapter

++++++++++++
Cartman: A fine day of plundering we had boys. What about yourselves? Here you are lads, plenty of booty to go around. A round of grog for me boys. A round of grog for everyone!

Poor Alex

Elsbeth's picture

Funny, although not surprising that she went into heat. Michelle might not be laughing when it happens to her :) Nice chapter.

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Oh my...

Alex finding out that rather than a menstrual cycle, she has a hybrid estrous / menstrual cycle: she's only sexually active during estrus (ovulation) but a fortnight later sheds her uterine lining (menstruates) rather than reabsorbing it.

Still, as the betting pool noticed, she exhibited what apparently is remarkable restrain.

Then if all that wasn't enough to get her embarrassed, there's the moral dissonance regarding relationships: on Earth monogamy is the rule, whereas the Greylands tend to be more into polyamory (although technically speaking, it's both monogamy - single spouse AND polyamory - multiple lovers; although obviously each new amorous addition requires the mutual consent of all parties).

Anyway, hot air aside, we've more detail on the flying vessels: essentially magically propelled boats; and they've worked out a handy bottleneck an invading military would have to pass through, which of course means that with a forward base to report sightings, removes most strategic advantages the invaders could potentially have (since unless the forward base or communications get interrupted, they'll be able to communicate the size and strength of the fleet, as well as whether they're coming en masse or in waves.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Woo hoo!

Feline wet dreams! Hmmm.....ookkkk, time for a ccccold shhhhhower! (I giggles profusely). Nice Amethyst! (Hugs) Taarpa

I 've Been Trying...

...to think through the consequences of this new reproductive development. (No pun intended.)

Alex's Zenin parents don't seem to have been very prolific, and there's been no indication so far that Zenin in general tend to have large families. (Not that we've seen many Zenin families yet.) That strongly suggests that there must be some countermeasure, natural or otherwise, to forestall a population explosion. (Rishathra? Probably not; the arousal seems too species-specific.)

A whole bunch of ideas came to my mind:

- Remarkably easy magical/herbal morning-after contraception (since nobody suggested using anything beforehand);

- Some natural contraceptive in their food that one has to stop in order to procreate (but you'd think someone would let her know, at least afterward, that her fears of pregnancy were groundless);

- Tahrinpause, so to speak, coming after only a few years (or tahrin doesn't take place in most of one's cycles);

- Pregnancy being a lot harder to come by than one might expect;

- A preponderance of stillbirths or spontaneous abortions;

- Eugenic culling of newborns;

- Abandonment of unwanted young after birth;

- Cannibalism.

(The last group of ideas would be inconsistent with our own culture's ethics, but as Jezz said, rules and customs are different here.)

- Or just a prevailing attitude, like that taken by some people with pet female cats here, that they deserve to breed once or twice before they're neutered?

Or am I just making too much out of nothing here?

Eric

Could any human

technology be used to operate the Gates? Are there any Magic Users on Earth who can operate them or magical devices?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Not any current human

Amethyst's picture

Not any current human technology. They are connected by magic and precise placement of the stones designed to create an opening in the space between parallel universes. It could be done far into the future perhaps if Earth's magic didn't return.

Magic is just starting to seep back into Earth from the veil. anyone who has magical talent likely doesn't realize it yet and there wouldn't be enough ambient magical energy around to allow Gate travel yet even if the Gates were in good repair.A few of the fey may have reappeared and they would have the knowledge of the Gates but they would have other concerns at the moment.

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Modern Humans

I dont think modern humans would side with the empire.

Its not the 1600's anymore, and the only real problems today in our world are religion/clash-of-culture based due to misguided political policies, not specifically race related.

If Alex and her Draken travelled to Earth, i think she'd be able to get at least some considerable support which would be a great help, especially as Earth technology could really do a number on the Empires non-magical forces.

The only problem i forsee is if the fae to arrive first are of the malevolent type (vampires, undead, various mischievous beings etc etc) which may give the Earthers a negative idea of the non-humans.

If that doesnt happen, i'd see many countries wanting to help in some way.

On a nother note, watching Alex's conflict of emotions is hilarious. I wonder when she is going to give in and get jiggy with a handsome Zenin male.

Also: whens the next chapter?

PS: And i'm really interested to see who the 'good' gods contact with the knowledge of the gates. Especially as there seems to be a cross over religion wise with the Evil God Lharus (i think thats his name?) calling himself the 'One true god' and Earth having three religions that believe in a 'one true god'....

Yes

Amethyst's picture

Alex is funny to watch sometimes with her reactions and she may just decide to get jiggy soon as next chapter she makes a very big decision after getting answers to some questions. The next chapter is ready to go and I will post on Wednesday. The past week has been pretty rough and I haven't been as productive as i would like but I guarantee that the new chapter of this story is indeed finsihed and will definitely be posted Wednesday.

The Gods only contact those they know can be trusted with the knowledge of the gate and only Gods who rule magic on their worlds hav that knowledge to give.

Also with the Fey there would be mostly good though it's sure that a few evil creatures will escape as well.

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3