Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1976

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1976
by Angharad

Copyright © 2013 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

Tom wasn’t around at breakfast and then being a Saturday I got bogged down in dealing with domestic issues like two squabbling schoolgirls. I sent them both upstairs until they could act like two civilised creatures–I know, they’re humans so that puts them at a disadvantage. When I went up to check on them ten minutes later they were sat back to back reading. Obviously in the face of a common enemy the original squabble was forgotten. It’s good to know I provide something for my kids even if it’s only a common enemy. I know, I’m not common, I’m an aristo’s wife.

I checked my mobile and there was text from Danny, sent the previous night. He was having a great time and had found the money I packed for him. He actually thanked me. I showed it to Si, who showed me his one. He’d given him some money too. Little bugger didn’t tell us that–wait till he gets home, I’ll shoot him.

Simon was all flustered wanting to watch the rugby–three bloody games of it, that’s like about six hours. He could have seen the Lord of the Rings twice in that time or one of Wagner’s Ring cycle operas.

Tom mysteriously appeared just in time to see the first game–Ireland and Italy, and the Italians won. That’s unusual apparently, especially as Ireland had beaten Wales in the first match of the competition.

I was doing the ironing while Italy were winning and afterwards, Si asked me to go and watch the Wales England match, as it would decide the championship. I suppose as an occasional supporter of the blokes in red shirts, coming from just over the border, I agreed. Jacquie agreed to watch the kids. Tom tried to shrink into the chair he was sitting in, even though I spoke to him, he wriggled uncomfortably. I really didn’t know what was going on.

We settled down to the game, Simon sitting with his arm round me until he became so excited he had to wave both arms about. I don’t really understand rugby, but some of the tackles had me hiding my eyes they were so ferocious and after an initial England attack the red shirts began to exert control, especially in the scrum. Simon was chuckling, as the referee kept giving Wales penalties at the scrum as the Welsh pushed the English pack all over the place. Even Tom chuckled a few times.

I made us all drinks while some bloke called Jiffy summed up the finer points–basically England were rubbish. Then we settled down to watch the second half and Wales were rampant, running in two tries and a drop goal as well as penalties.

The nice young man who stands at the back, Threeha’pence or something had a bad leg after being tackled, so he didn’t take any more kicks. He looks so angelic I almost wanted to go and hug him and Simon said he was a shoo in for the Lions tour of Australia.

Wales won by twenty seven points, I assume that was good I’d heard somewhere that if they won by more than so many points they’d retain the championship. It was enough with twenty to spare apparently. Si and Tom were delighted and it seemed to me that the better team won, even Brian Moore seemed to agree with the referee’s decisions and he supposedly knows what’s what in the scrum. He was a hooker–honestly, he didn’t look as if he’d earn very much on the street corners round here.

When I said that, Simon, once he’d finished laughing, told me Mr Moore was a respected lawyer and that a hooker was the middle man in the front row of the scrum who’s supposed to hook the ball when the scrum half puts it in. I hope I didn’t look as blank as I felt. I said, “I see,” and disappeared to make more tea.

David had been watching the rugby as well although he prefers soccer, and when he came in to check on his casserole he was shaking his head. He’d wanted England to win. I didn’t tell him we were all rooting for Wales.

“But they beat the All Blacks,” he said adding some thickening to the sauce.

“Who were tired and suffering from food poisoning,” interrupted Simon bringing the tea cups back.

“So, when did Scotland last do it?”

“I have no idea, but Wales have done it.”

“Have they?”

“Yeah, about a hundred years ago.” They both ended up laughing.

“D’you want dinner now or after the Scotland match?” asked David and Simon decided after the rugby. I wasn’t so sure, all the girls were hungry now. So we compromised, Tom and Simon ate theirs on trays while the rest of us ate at the table and David went back to watch the last match with Ingrid.

Scotland lost–there’s a surprise, but Simon was still elated that Wales had stolen the championship from the all conquering England by ‘stuffing them.’ Apparently it’s a technical term which all you rugby sorts should know.

We went to bed and Simon seemed to have more energy than I did, but I let him celebrate a famous victory in suitable style, even though at the end of it I was awake and feeling a bit sore and he was fast asleep and a dirty pair of underpants lay on the floor. I picked them up at arm’s length and dumped them in the linen basket. I put a clean pair by the side of him in case the girls come into the bed tomorrow morning, although they haven’t done it for a while.

I’d just gone to sleep when the bedroom door was knocked and I woke with a start. “Hen, ye’d best come doon, there’s thae polis at thon door.”

“The police?” I asked sleepily.

“Aye,” he said and I dragged myself out of bed.

“Wassup?” asked Simon even sleepier than I did.

“The police are downstairs.”

“What for?”

“How do I know, I’ve been in bed, remember?”

“Oh yesss,” he smiled.

“C’mon get your bum in gear, I might need support for whatever they want.”

“Right,” he grabbed his undies and pulled them on then his jeans and a sweatshirt. I pulled on a dressing gown over my jammies. Then with some trepidation we went downstairs. Tom had the kettle on and he and a male and female officer were sitting at the table.

“Mrs Cameron?” asked the man.

“Yes, what’s happened?

“Are you Danny Maiden’s mother?”

“His adopted mother, yes and Simon his adopted dad.”

“Sir,” he nodded at Simon who nodded back. “I’ve got some bad news regarding Danny.”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
205 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

not another cliffhanger!

and it being Danny. What has he gotten himself into?

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

calling about Danny: has he

calling about Danny: has he been hurt, or hurt another?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Bad News...

...from polite police is usually very bad news. The worst.

If it was a kidnapping, the parents usually find out from the kidnappers before the police find out from the parents. If it was an injury, the news usually arrives by phone from the medical establishment in charge of treatment.

No. This foreshadows something quite depressing. I'm not sure I even want to read the next chapter...

Cliffs.

You hang them.

(And we keep faithfully reading. Thanks for continuing the series.)

Not again

One wonders if Danny is feeling his hormones and is getting into trouble left and right.

Oh and 1976, celebrating 200 years of kicking the Brits out ;)

Kim

Hmmm...

If it's as bad as Pippa has implied, I'd guess Danny found some previously unexploded ordenance from WW1 or more likely WW2. :(

PB

Oh, S**T!

I'm thinking more along the lines of an auto accident, or at this time of night perhaps a fire at the lodging. Knowing first hand how painful serious burns (2nd and 3rd degree) can be, I'd say death is preferable to extensive burns. That would be 50% or more, or involving the head or the genital area. We'll have to wait and see.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Oh no!

I hope the boy is OK!

Battery.jpg

Hmm...

On the one hand, two police officers calling with "bad news" about a child is rather ominous (in a medical sense).

On the other hand, Cathy usually instinctively knows when one of the children is in medical trouble. Added onto which, being a school party and Danny having a close friend and a possible girlfriend with him, it's unlikely he would have gone wandering off or done something stupid. But still, two police officers with "bad news"...


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Interesting choice of ...

Words from the police, Bad news could mean a lot of things ranging from the unthinkable through to being arrested, Although you would have to say a late night vist and the officers demeanour does not bode well for Danny ..... Time for some serious nail-biting i think..

Kirri

Dammit Guu-uurl!!!

I was all set to make some gloating victorious comment about stuffing the f-----g English, the bloody Pommes, the dammned Limeys!

You name it and almost every country on earth has their own private hate name for the English We call them Saes, the Scots call em Sasenachs, the french word is almost un-utterable in polite company; ...

And yet, we often have some sort of soft spot for them, especially when they are the anticipated underdogs. However, we in Wales have been fighting them longest and hardest since Roman times no less, after 405 AD when the Romans left and the bloody Gauls, Engles, Saxons, Danes, Vikings, Franks, Freisians, and finally the Normans in 1066.

The last time we beat the f-----g English was 1487 at Bosworth when Henry the 7th (A Welsh man born in Pembroke castle, South Wales,)finally beat the crap out of Richard the 3rd's superior forces and set the country on the path to law, order and some rudimentary semblence of justice. (Not to mention the first feeble glimmerings of representative goverment.)
However, to listen to the English, you'd think they were the superior race but last saturday we once again set them right about who's the superior British race!

However enough of English baiting.

I'm dreading the news from France. Hoping against hope that Danny's okay. Blue light pleease and lots of it.

XX

Bevs

bev_1.jpg

:-(

*Stern eyebrows raised*

You've not gone and hurt Danny, have you? After having Cathy worry so much about letting him get out/away from home, Danny getting hurt would not go over well with Cathy... Add in the others getting hurt when away from Cathy (one a ship, once, for example) and they'll never get away again!

That said, has he gotten in trouble for having too much cash - and been accused of stealing it? (Caused by both parents "slipping" him a bit extra and someone claiming his money was gone.)

Wonder what's up with Tom... Is he, perhaps, having second thoughts over the original site survey? Does he know something he's not sharing? (Oh, probably... But is it important?)

But, you do need to lay off with these cliffs! I'm glad I didn't have a chance to read it last night! Might have disturbed my sleep.

Thanks.
Annette