Virginia in Bloom, Chapter 5

Printer-friendly version

Author's Note: Sorry it's been a while between chapters. This tale takes place during the American Civil War at a time when things have begun to go badly for the South, which started drafting boys as young as 13 to fight in the war effort. ~Torey.

Chapter 5

Arrogant, cocky.

That's how Emma described the two young Confederate officers who were staying for a few days at Ms. Bedell's boarding house to Maggie.

"You'd think those two could whip the entire Yankee army," Emma confided in Maggie.

The two officers pursued both Rebecca and Emma, much to Rebecca's amusement.

"I really find that fascinating," Rebecca giggled.

"It makes me nauseus," Emma said, knowing that her secret could fully endanger the family. If Emma were suddenly revealed to be Emmitt, the whole family might be out on the streets.

And Emmitt, as scrawny as the boy turned Southern girl really was, could find himself in the infantry not even 14, which would be his mother's worst nighmare, especially considering the butchering of infantry men during Pickett's charge at Gettsyburg.

"Why really, Wyatt, Momma refuses to let me marry so young," Emma said, trying to play as hard to get as possibly could be.

It actually had the opposite effect on the suitor from Georgia, who told Beau, his companion and suitor of Rebecca, that it made him want to pursue.

Emma was just thankful days at Mrs. Ballew's school, although she grew a little uncomfortable when Ms. Ballew suggested again that she, Rebecca, Maggie and a few others join the nursing corps, that spring fighting season would soon be approaching.

Oh, the soldiers fought at other times. Emma remembered as Emmitt of tales of the Battle of Fredericksburg near Christmas time a couple of years earlier. But the two massive armies near Richmond that had been slugging it out year after year seemed to do their fiercest fighting in the spring and summer.

And 1864 looked to be no different than in previous years.

"Ol' Wyatt can't wait to whup their new commander, Genr'l Grant," Emma said while rolling her eyes about her newest suitor.

"Pappa says he might be the best commander they've had," said Maggie, acting like she knew something about the war.

Emma picked up a rock and skipped it across a pond next to the school.

"I hope it means Wyatt and Beau will be leaving soon," Emma said. "Oh, I don't wish them any harm, mind you. I'm just tired of having them hanging around the boarding house."

"Why Emma, don't you like them courting you and Rebecca?" Maggie asked, trying not to laugh too hard.

"Emma Walker, don't you be skipping rocks across that pond," Ms. Ballew said. "You'll scare the ducks. And it's too un-lady-like."

*****

Andy admitted to Lucien he wasn't too impressed he first saw General Grant for the first time. The new Union commander wasn't as dashing as members of Lee's high command were described to be.

Lucian kidded Andy that it was the first time Andy showed the female-side to which his buddy had been born.

"Nah, I don't wish him to be hansome," Andy laughed. "Just be successful in battle. Hooker, Burnside, McClellan, even Meade, I've gotten tired of the whole lot of them. I just want a commander who gets results."

"From what I understand, I'll be busy," said Corinne, the nurse who had kept Andy's secret ever the two met.

Andy told Lucian he had heard from their new company commander, Capt. Phillips, that they would be marching in a few days.

"Overheard a conversation at General Meade's headquarters," Andy said. "Grant told him we were going to fight General Lee and not let up."

Those weren't words Lucien had been hoping to hear. He told Andy he would rather head back to the Midwest and find some nice peaceful farm.

"But I'm no coward," he said. "Whichever direction they tell me to go and fight, I'll go and fight."

It bothered Corinne to hear her soldier friends talk about battle. As a battlefield nurse, she and the doctors she traveled with had followed the Army of the Potomac from Sharpsburg, Fredericksburg to nearby Chancellorsville and Gettysburg.

And now she heard the army was moving back toward Chancerllorsville and Fredericksburg, and a thick forest called the "Wilderness" by the locals.

"You could probably build a horror cabin with the limbs I cut off the last time we were in this part of Virginia," Corinne said.

"At least they no longer have Ol' Stonewall Jackson to spook our commanders like they did the last time we were at Chancellorsville," Andy said.

"From what I understand, your new commander doesn't spook for anything," Corinne said. "And that's what scares me."

*****

Rebecca and Maggie were a little surprised by Emma's behavior. She put on her best dress, and put a bow in her head, just like her older sister. She went outside and picked a bouquet of flowers.

"Don't get me wrong, I still do not have feelings for Wyatt," Emma told her friend and sister. "But he and Beau are leaving today to return to the battlefield. I do feel it's our duty to give them a good send off."

There was a party at the boarding house. Fiddle players were there. There was dancing in the yard. A big feast had been prepared. It seemed like a happy celebration, one that reminded Emma's mother of the ones they had for their father and brothers before they went off to war.

"That was before anyone knew the horrors and the death to come," their mother told Mrs. Ballew. "But we must play along and do our parts for these two young men."

Much to Rebecca's and Maggie's surprise, Emma danced most of the entire day with Wyatt. Rebecca did the same with Beau.

"I will cherish this day forever," Wyatt told Emma.

"Just don't go out and get yourself killed," Emma said.

Emma pulled the ribbon from her hair and gave it to Wyatt to help him remember the day. Rebecca did the same for Beau.

To their surprise, the two soldiers both stole kisses before mounting their horses to leave.

"Oh hush," Emma told Rebecca. "He's far away from family. Who knows if they'll return."

Rebecca hugged her sister.

"You may be really be a boy," she whispered. "But deep down, you have a heart as tender as a woman's."

The night ended with Mrs. Ballew talking their mother into letting them travel as nurses.

"I don't know if they are ready for that kind of horror," their mother said. "But each family must do its part."

"We will do our best to keep them safe," Mrs. Ballew said.

up
114 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Virginia in Bloom5

Emma's growing, but its a strength that other men don't usually have or understand.

Torey, hope it is not long before another chapter, its a good story
Hugs, JessieC

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

The heart of a woman?

Andrea Lena's picture

"I will cherish this day forever," Wyatt told Emma.

No matter how this turns out and no matter if Emma or Emmitt emerge after the war, the heart of a woman allowed Emma to help give the young men a sendoff that let them know they mattered. If Wyatt survives the horror, perhaps he'll revel in the moment as he tells his children and grandchildren of the sweet girl who gave him a goodbye kiss. Or maybe even more. Still, it would have been easy for Emma to pull back just a bit out of nervousness or even embarrassment. Instead she gave the boy a precious gift that he will indeed cherish forever. Now you've got me crying. Thank you!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

‹ Virginia in Bloom,

Interesting story....looking forward to the next chapter

++++++++++++
Cartman: A fine day of plundering we had boys. What about yourselves? Here you are lads, plenty of booty to go around. A round of grog for me boys. A round of grog for everyone!