Pandora's Trunk: 6

Printer-friendly version
Telling Carol

In ancient times, when the box owned by the beautiful Pandora, the first mortal woman,
was opened all the troubles of the world flew out and could never be put back.

So what will happen when a trunk with the name 'Pandora Wilkins'
is discovered in a house in North London in 2009?

Pandora’s Trunk
Chapter 6

by Louise Anne Smithson

Copyright © 2013 Louise Anne Smithson
All Rights Reserved.

 


Image Credit: Picture from PublicDomainPictures.net. Free for commercial and personal use with restriction. Girl in Red.


 
Chapter 6 Telling Carol
 

I might have known what was going to happen: as soon as I’d made the arrangements with Carol and Lucy, I started to have second thoughts about the wisdom of taking such a job. My sister would undoubtedly freak out when she knew and tell Mum. I doubted whether I would be able to stand up to a combined onslaught from the two of them. I would probably be ordered back to East Anglia and a future of gutting chickens, or else become the shameful secret in our family, unable to show my face at home ever again.

In any event, although I may have looked alright wearing that dress and wig, when I’d had Lucy’s help, I’d never be able to carry off working as a female impersonator on a regular basis. The owner of the club would be bound to want to get rid of me as soon as the trial was over. In fact, the whole idea was ridiculous. As yet, I’d made no commitment; I wouldn’t be letting anyone down if I pulled out. I’d just forget about the club and continue to look for a job for Nick. Yet, at the same time, I had to admit to myself that both Lucy and Randi had been encouraging (apart from her comment about me stomping around like a baby elephant) and it had felt so good to go out dressed as a woman on Sunday afternoon. I hated myself and my cowardice in not grasping the opportunity that I’d always dreamed about and realised that nothing like this would ever happen to me again. Thus, after a day and a sleepless night wrestling with my feelings, I decided to leave the matter in the lap of the gods.

On Tuesday and Wednesday I made a conscious effort to look for work, both in the local newspaper and at the Job Centre, feeling that if I found a job it would save me from the awkward tasks of having to tell my sister about the previous weekend and deciding whether or not to accept the trial that I’d been offered. However, the gods appeared to be on my side, for in spite of my best efforts, and several telephone calls, no other job opportunities were forthcoming. I suspect that I would have been disappointed if I had received another offer, and I knew that if I did turn down the one I had I would despise myself for the rest of my life. But on this occasion the matter did not arise. So when Lucy rang me on Wednesday afternoon, I confirmed our previous arrangements for her to come to dinner the following evening.

‘Did Carol ask you about last weekend.’

‘Not really, we’ve not had much opportunity to talk together since I got back.’

‘So will you be telling her about the trial when we meet tomorrow night?’

I sighed.

‘I’m not sure.’

‘Nick, I want to make it clear that if you don’t tell Carol about the job offer tomorrow evening, then I will, so are you sure that you still want me to come to dinner?’

I could tell from the tone of her voice that she was serious. I thought for a moment before responding.

‘Yes please.’

‘Well done, I’ll see you tomorrow evening.’

~o~O~o~

I usually cleaned the flat and prepared a nice meal on Thursday as this was the one evening in the week when Carol came home at a reasonable time, and we could spend some time together. However, on this occasion I wanted to make it special, so when Lucy arrived, a few minutes before my sister, she found the flat looking tidy, the dinner cooking and the table laid.

‘I see that you are all set for this evening, Nick.’ she said, as she took off her coat.

‘I think so.’

‘Good, I have spoken to Randi who knows what is happening, but they are anxious to know your decision. So I said that either you or I would ring later this evening, if you have decided to go ahead. I’m afraid they won’t be prepared to wait any longer.’

‘Alright then.’

Carol arrived at that point and was pleased with my efforts and also glad to see Lucy once again. We were soon chatting together quite happily; the meal I’d prepared seemed to go well, and the wine helped to lighten the atmosphere. So we were midway through the meal before either Lucy or I raised our intended topic of conversation. By this time we’d already discussed my sister’s work, Lucy’s University course, and the news from our two families in East Anglia. It was now my turn to be the subject of discussion.

‘Have you had any luck with the job hunting this week, Nick?’ Carol asked.

Lucy gave me a ‘significant look’ and I knew that I wouldn’t be able to put things off any longer. I took a metaphorical deep breath and began to answer.

‘Actually, I have been offered a six-week trial in a reasonably paid job, but I’m not sure whether or not to accept it.’

‘That’s great news, but why wouldn’t you accept it?’ asked my sister, clearly intrigued by my answer.

I hesitated looking for the right words, so she came in with another question.

‘Surely, it would be a trial for both parties and so you could always leave at the end of the six weeks if you didn’t like it?’

‘Yes I know, but it is an unusual job and there are certain conditions associated with it. I’m not sure whether you’ll approve.’

‘As long as it’s legal, not threatening to your life or health, and pays you real money, I’ll approve,’ she said, smiling. ‘You’d better tell me all about it.’

It was too late for me to back out now. Over the next twenty minutes or so I told my sister about the previous weekend, and the subsequent job offer. Lucy contributed from time to time to add detail or confirm the truth of what I was saying. Then, to finish off, Lucy handed over several photographs that she’d taken of me dressed me as ‘Nicole’ and/or ‘Marilyn’.

Carol didn’t ‘freak’, as I’d been sure she would. She was certainly surprised, then amused, gradually turning to amazement when she saw the photographs, which she carefully scrutinised to make sure they were not forgeries done using Photoshop.

‘So you’re proposing to work as a barmaid for the next six weeks, Nick?’ she said, with particular emphasis on the second syllable of the word barmaid.

Her tone was surprised, but not incredulous or derisive.

‘If you do not object,’ I replied. ‘The pay is quite good and there will also be a share of the tips. So far it’s the only job that has been offered to me since I came to London.

She began to study the pictures once more.

‘I must say, you do look nice in these pictures. Do you think you would be able to carry it off?’

‘I believe so, but that is why they are giving me a trial rather than offering me a job.’

‘Yes, I suppose so.’

‘But there is a catch,’ I said.

She looked up.

‘Go on!’

‘Apparently I looked pretty good last Saturday evening but lacked the necessary experience in how to walk, talk and present myself as a convincing woman. Therefore, one of the conditions of the job offer is that I’d have to need gain as much practice as possible in order to improve. They intend to provide me with false boobs, hair extensions and long finger nails for the duration of the trial. So no matter what I choose to wear when I’m not working during that period, I’m going to end up looking like a girl.’

‘I guess so. But whatever would Mum say if she were to see you dressed like that?’ asked Carol.

‘I don’t know.’

‘Me neither,’ she said sounding anxious. ‘She would be bound to blame me.’

‘But it would be my decision.’

‘Perhaps, but she still regards me as being responsible for your welfare.’

‘I don’t think it is likely that she will be planning to visit us in the next few weeks, especially if I tell her that I have found a job requiring me to work at weekends. I doubt if we’ll see her now until Christmas, by which time my trial will be over.’

‘I’m not pressing you for any rent on your room,’ said Carol.

‘I realise that, but I have been looking seriously for work over the last four weeks and this is the only job that I’ve been offered. I’d like to give it a try’

My sister turned towards my cousin

‘What do you think, Lucy?’

‘I think that Nick made a very attractive looking young woman over the weekend, both during the competition and afterwards on Sunday. However, they did have a point regarding his presentation; he does need more practice before he would be truly convincing. Yet, at the same time ‘Nicole’ and I went out together to Covent Garden on Sunday afternoon, and I don’t think anyone we met realised that she wasn’t a girl.’

‘Is that what you found, Nick?’ asked Carol.

‘Yes, and to be honest, I really enjoyed myself.’

‘So if Nick wants to take up the offer and become ‘Nicole’ for six weeks, I can’t see that there’s a problem,’ continued Lucy. ‘The only issue will be finding some suitable clothes for her to wear when she isn’t at work. To that end I’d be happy to loan her the dress and shoes that she wore last weekend.’

‘Is that what you want to do Nick?’ Carol asked, looking seriously at me.

There was no point my denying it; she now knew all the details.

‘Yes I think so,’ I answered, blushing, ‘at least to see how I get on for the duration of the trial.’

Carol hesitated for a moment before making up her mind.

‘Alright then, if you’re sure that is what you want to do.

‘Yes it is.’

‘I expect I’ll be able to find you some of my clothes for you to wear as well.’

‘Thank you, both of you. But what about Mum?’ I asked

‘I think you’re right; we are unlikely to see her for a few weeks so she needn’t know what is happening, for the time being at least. Lucy, I assume that you will not be mentioning any of this to your parents.’

‘No; of course not.’

‘Good. I’d prefer it that way.’

There followed a period of silence as we all attempted to take stock of what had just been agreed. To be honest, I was in a state of shock. Eventually my sister broke the silence.

‘By the way, Nick, what will I be expected to call you when you have long hair and boobs?

‘So far Lucy has been referring to me as Nicky or Nicole,’ I replied.

Carol sighed.

‘‘Nicky’ is too like ’Nick’, I think it might give me the creeps, and Nicole will be a bit of a mouthful all of the time. Also there is always a danger that I might forget myself when talking on the phone to Mum. If you are going to be a girl for the next six weeks, I think you should find yourself an entirely different name.’

I hadn’t been expecting this, but I suppose it wasn’t much to ask.

‘What do you suggest?’ I asked.

‘How about Rebecca?’ suggested Lucy.

‘As long as I can call you Becky,’ said my sister.

‘That would be ok by me,’ I replied.

‘In that case when do I get to meet ’Becky’?’ she asked.

‘I have to let them know whether I’m interested in the trial or not straight away. I think that they will probably expect me to start work on Monday evening,’ I replied.

‘In that case, Becky, why don’t you go for it?’

~o~O~o~

So that was it! That was how Becky came to life in October 2009. It all proved to be so much easier than I’d imagined. The building we were occupying didn’t come tumbling down and I wasn’t struck by a thunderbolt after I told my sister. The main thing was that she wouldn’t be telling Mum; indeed she seemed just as anxious as I was to prevent Mum from finding out too many details about my new job. After a minute or two during which I recovered from the shock of hearing my sister agree that I might take part in the trial, I excused myself to go to my bedroom and make that telephone call to Randi to confirm my acceptance of their offer. I realised that it would also provide Carol and Lucy the opportunity to discuss the matter in more detail when I wasn’t present.

‘Hi Randi, it is Nick, from last weekend. I’m ringing to confirm that I should like to take you up on your offer of a six weeks trial.’

‘I’m so pleased to hear it, I’m sure that with a little polish you’ll make a lovely young woman, Nicole.’

He or she (I wasn’t sure which over the phone) put particular stress on the final word.

‘Actually, my sister has requested that I should adopt another name when I’m working to avoid confusion with Nick. Lucy suggests that I should become ‘Becky’.’

‘Alright, Becky will be fine, in fact it quite suits you, my dear.’

‘So what will be the arrangements for me starting work next week?’

‘Can you come in to the club at 9.00 a.m. tomorrow?’

‘I suppose so,’ I replied, a little surprised that things would be moving quite so quickly.

‘The club has an arrangement with a nearby beauty salon to look after the needs of our employees, so the assistants there are quite used to transforming young men into glamorous female cabaret performers.’

‘Oh, I see.’

‘Jack has made a provisional booking for you to undergo your transformation. That way you’ll have the weekend to get used to your new ‘embellishments,’ before you start work on Monday.’

’They must have been fairly confident that I was going to accept the job,’ I thought.

‘Exactly what sort of ‘embellishments’ do you have in mind?’

‘Oh just the usual; some false boobs, hair and nail extensions and attention to one or two other minor details such as your eyebrows and lashes. There will be nothing too drastic or which requires surgery, I promise.’

‘What would you like me to wear tomorrow?’

‘That’s up to you Becky, whatever feels most comfortable. We’ll be providing you with the clothes and shoes you wear whilst you are working at the club, but the rest is up to you. Remember though, that one of the objects of the whole exercise is for you to get used to dressing and acting as a woman as quickly as possible.’

‘As it is such short notice I’ll probably have to wear jeans and a tee shirt tomorrow, but both Lucy and my sister have promised to loan me some of their things so I should be able to get in some practice over the weekend.

‘Good! In that case we’ll provide you with everything you will need to wear for work including some underclothes, so you’ll at least have something suitable when you go home from the salon tomorrow night. After that it will be up to you.’

‘Yes, I understand.’

‘See you tomorrow morning then.’

‘I’m looking forward to it.’

'Good, I think you will do well.'

Now that I’d at last told my sister, and spoken to Randi I was feeling really pleased with myself. It was the opportunity I’d been waiting for, for as long as I could remember. I waited for a few moments in my room, trying to calm my nerves before returning to my sister and my cousin.

‘So that’s confirmed, Carol, you’re going to be living with Becky rather than Nick for the next six weeks starting from tomorrow evening.’

‘Alright, as long as the news doesn’t reach East Anglia,’ she replied.

‘Agreed.’

‘I think we should have a toast to Becky, and her new career,’ said Lucy, raising her wine glass.

I noticed Carol flinch for a moment at the word ‘career,’ but then joined in.

‘To Becky and her new job.’

I drank the remainder of my glass wondering what I’d let myself in for, but feeling excited at the prospect all the same.

~o~O~o~

As I was seeing Lucy to the door, she asked me about the arrangements for the following day. I told her of my appointment at the salon.

‘I know that place; it isn’t too far from my University Library. Why don’t you send me a text message when you are nearly finished in there and we can perhaps meet up and have a coffee together in the Student’s Union.’

‘Alright, I should like that. Thank you for all you help and moral support over the last week.’

‘It’s been my pleasure, Becky,’ she said smiling.

‘No, it’s still Nick this evening, but it will be Becky when we next meet and for the next six weeks.’

‘I’m quite looking forward to meeting her,’ she said, kissing me on the cheek and leaving.

’Me too!’ I thought to myself.

Carol was busy clearing the table after our meal when I returned.

‘Well Nick, I trust you know what you are doing,’ she said.

‘It is only a six-week trial, after all,’ I replied.

‘So you say,’ she said.

I didn’t take her up on that comment, but went to bed.


 

Next time: My transformation

up
221 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

‘So you say,’

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

I think carol may have an inkling that there is a bit more to Nick's transformation then he is letting on.

Go Becky!

It's only a 6 week trial.

It was only a three hour tour, too and look how that turned out! LOL.

Nice job so far Louise. I'm looking forward to more of it.

Huggles and love,
Catherine Linda MIchel

As a T-woman, I do have a Y chromosome... it's just in cursive, pink script. Y_0.jpg

Exit Nick......

Enter Becky! Woo hoo! Well telling sister Carol wasn't so bad. Now comes the hard part, learning the nuances & mannerisms of being female. I hope Nicks dream come true doesn't turn into Becky's nightmare. Love the story so far Louise, more please? (Hugs) Taarpa

Nick might very well fade

away and Becky replace him, if she is what he wants to be. Nick can very easily choose to work as Becky and be Nick away from work.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

It looks as though

that it's always the same. Others see the "US" long before we do?

‘I think we should have a toast to Becky, and her new career,’ said Lucy, raising her wine glass.

Be strong and be yourself or life will be forever miserable!

Vivien

So Far, So Good

joannebarbarella's picture

She said as she passed the seventh storey window on the way down.

Fist pump YES !

That was painless, now down to business. You will live as Becky for six weeks straight through. Since I'm a betting
sort of guy, I'll bet it is for far longer.
As long as Becky is introduced as Cathy's cousin, any company will accept her as she is.
May even have mom scratching her head.

Cefin