Touching the Moon part 32

Printer-friendly version


Touching the Moon part 32
By
Morpheus

Nearly every school has some release for the students, something beyond school work that they can get involved in or cheer on the participants. In most schools, this release comes in the form of sports teams such as football or basketball, but in the Academy, we had sorcerers duels.

A sorcerers duel is a throwback to the days when sorcerers would settle their differences in magical combat, fighting until one surrendered or only one remained standing. It was an ancient tradition that could be brutal and deadly, with rules that most sorcerers held as nearly sacred, though the modern version was far less dangerous than in times past. The modern sorcerers duel was not a life and death battle but was considered to be more like a boxing match, a safe way to release aggression with the competitors using the magical equivalent of gloves and safety pads.

I stood in the school gymnasium which had a large dueling circle permanently etched into the floor. There were two other such circles around campus, but this one was indoors, and on an island with that rained frequently, that made it the best choice. A crowd of several dozen students had already gathered to watch the duel and I saw a few teachers present as well.

Classes had ended for the day which meant that this was the usual time for duels such as the one I was about to fight with Teressa. I felt extremely nervous as I looked around at the crowd and the dueling circle. I’d never fought a duel before and my only consolation was that neither had Teressa.

My friends gathered close to me, giving me what encouragement they could. Sylvie and Eve were both excited while Todd looked just a little nervous. Neither of us had spoken about the kiss from yesterday, but I knew it was on his mind as much as mine. He’d been looking at me even more than before.

“You’ll do fine,” Gayle told me.

“Kick her ass,” Sylvie said with a grin while Eve nodded agreement.

Then I felt someone touch my shoulder. I quickly turned around and was surprised to see Kimberly standing there. She had an awkward look on her face that made her look uncomfortable.

“I…,” Kimberly started. “I just wanted to say good luck.”

“Thanks,” I responded cautiously.

Kimberly hesitated a moment before adding, “And I’m sorry. I’m a crappy friend.”

“It’s okay,” I told her. “I didn’t mean to freak you out.” Then I took a breath and asked, “Can we talk about it at dinner?”

Kimberly hesitated again before she smiled and nodded. “I’d like that.”

“I’d like to talk to you after this is over too,” Todd said, giving me a nervous smile of his own. Then before I realized it, he quickly leaned forward and caught me with a surprise kiss. “Good luck,” he told me as he blushed brightly. “And may the force be with you.”

“I…,” I started, not sure what to say or do.

“Come on,” Sylvie exclaimed with a laugh, slapping me on my back. “You have a duel to go win.”

“Remember what I told you and you’ll do fine,” Gayle said.

I nodded at that and made my way to the circle. I glanced to Amylia who stood near the front as a spectator. As a teacher, she had to remain neutral and couldn’t appear to favor either side, but she’d told me in private that she’d be cheering for me. Mrs. Khuto stood there as well, though she was the designated referee for the match.

Of course, I wasn’t the only one who’d brought friends. Teressa stood a short distance away, glaring at me with a smirk. Kaellie stood beside her as well as a few of her other friends and supporters. I wasn’t really sure how much of the crowd was on her side, how much was on mine, or how many of them were here just to watch a good fight.

Mrs. Khuto held two silver bracelets in hand and was carefully looking them over. When someone asked what she was doing, she calmly answered, “I am verifying that all safety measures are intact. School policy requires this before all duels to ensure there are no…accidents.” When she was finished, she gave one bracelet to me and one to Teressa, making sure that we each put ours on.

“These talismans and circle will ensure that neither of you are injured by magic during this contest,” Mrs. Khuto stated simply, looking to me and then Teressa. Her voice was loud enough so that most of the audience could hear as she added. “The circle will not allow any magic to pass through, preventing outside interference and protecting the audience from accidental harm.”

I nodded at that, having expected all of this. Gayle had explained the rules and traditions in great detail. Still, Mrs. Khuto was required to go over all of them as a reminder, and to inform those in the audience that they would be safe.

“You may win the match in three ways,” Mrs. Khuto continued the explanation. “If you force your opponent out of the circle, they automatically lose. You may force your opponent to submit. And if one of you is rendered incapacitated and unable to continue, I will declare the winner.”

I turned my attention to Teressa, glaring at her and looking forward to finally having a chance to cut loose. Of course, I wouldn’t be able to hurt her any more than she could hurt me. A spell that might otherwise be lethal would only be a distraction. There were types of duels where you’d be assigned points for how much damage a spell might do, and the duel would only end when one of the two reached the point limit that had been agreed upon. However, this was not that kind of a duel so it didn’t matter if a spell would normally cause harm or not.

I quickly glanced down at myself, taking one last opportunity to make sure I was ready. Of course, it was too late to do anything about it now even if I wasn’t. I had three small pouches on my belt which contained tokens, and I was in my enhanced form. In this form, I had extra size and strength, felt more confident, and best of all…I pissed Teressa off more. I was ready.

Teressa and I both stepped into the dueling circle and then Mrs. Khuto announced that the duel was officially started. We each grabbed our tokens but hesitated, waiting to see what the other would do. I had a rock in each hand, ready with two different spells depending on what she did. She seemed to be using a similar strategy.

“Come on,” one of the boys in the crowd yelled. “Someone attack…”

Then Teressa and I both decided to attack at the same time, with her calling out, “Invoke,” while I simultaneously exclaimed, “Engage.”

A ball of fire burst out of Teressa’s knotted beadwork token and came right at me. I might have frozen in terror if Gayle hadn’t warned me that this kind of attack was common in a duel. She’d told me that a lot of duelists loved throwing the most powerful and destructive spells at you, even though they wouldn’t do any harm. According to Gayle, this usually caused inexperienced duelists to freak out or worry about being injured. I braced myself and remained where I was, feeling the warmth pass me by though it didn’t actually seem to touch me.

At the same time, Teressa gasped in pain as her bra became painfully tight and then snapped open. Her shirt tore open as her breasts expanded to stripper sized dimensions. She frantically scrambled to cover her now naked breasts while I grinned evilly.

“Payback is a bitch,” I exclaimed. I hated wasting that spell on Teressa, but I figured that this would keep her distracted and off balance…in more ways than one.

“This isn’t fair,” Teressa cried out while half the crowd laughed and the other half just stared in stunned silence.

“This tactic is within the rules,” Mrs. Khuto said, watching us both with a calm expression. “However, I believe transformation magics are beyond Erin’s level so I must question if she cast the spell herself.”

“She did,” Master Tonkas said as he came up and joined Mrs. Khuto. “I watched her cast the spell myself.”

“Very good then,” Mrs. Khuto said with a nod. “Continue.”

“You bitch,” Teressa yelled at me, trying to cover her breasts while holding up her other token.

I just smirked. “You seemed to think it was pretty funny when you had Monica do that to me.”

Teressa snarled and activated her other token. A blast of something green came flying at me and this time I jumped out of the way. It hit the boundary of the circle and stopped as abruptly as if it had hit an invisible wall. Green slime dripped all over the floor where it had hit.

“Gross,” I muttered, then exclaimed, “Engage…”

A column of fire exploded from the ground right in front of Teressa, causing her to gasp and jump back. My goal was to try pushing her back to the edge of the circle and somehow force her across. I followed this up with another spell, the whirlwind spell that started hitting both of us with a heavy wind. I’d been expecting it though and braced myself.

Teressa lost her balance like I’d intended, but instead of falling backwards and staggering towards the circle, she fell forward instead and hit the ground chest first. I silently cursed the fact that my own spell had made her so top heavy that she’d fallen the opposite direction of what I’d wanted.

As soon as Teressa hit the ground, she reached into her own pouches for more tokens, activating two of them one after the other. There was an explosion in the air and I was knocked to the ground as well. And as I tried getting up, purple tendrils of light began to appear from the ground and wrap around me.

“Oh frak,” I muttered frantically grabbing for my own tokens. “Is this the best you’ve got smeg head?”

I activated one of my tokens and it released a burst of pressure that pushed away from my body in all directions at once. The tendrils vanished under the pressure and I quickly got back to my feet. I used another one of my tokens and a sent a blast of water at Teressa, knocking her back off her feet again.

I grinned, knowing that I had her now. Teressa was slowly getting back to her feet but was unbalanced. All I had to do was hit her and shove her outside the circle. It was going to feel good winning with my own hands.

Before I’d even finished the thought, I started running at Teressa. She activated a token and suddenly the ground started shaking. A moment later, she fell back to her knees while I staggered and stepped into a splatter of green slime. My foot slit out from beneath me and I went flying, hitting the ground hard.

Suddenly, the sound of a whistle filled the air and Mrs. Khuto called out, “The duel is over. Teressa wins.”

“WHAT?” I exclaimed in confusion, sitting up and suddenly realizing that when I hit the ground, my foot had gone outside the circle.

“Take that you monster bitch,” Teressa yelled at me with a gleeful laugh, trying to cover her breasts.

Kaellie rushed into the circle and gave Teressa her jacket so she could try covering her breasts. I just sat there, stunned that I’d been about to win and had lost in the blink of an eye.

“What happened?” I asked in confusion.

“You got cocky,” Gayle said as she came over and helped me to my feet. “You got overconfident and weren’t paying enough attention.” She put a hand on my shoulder and gave me a sympathetic look. “It happens. You just have to learn from it and do better next time.”

“Damn, you almost had that bitch,” Sylvie told me. “You’ll get her next time.”

“Yeah,” I said, looking in the direction Teressa had left in. I was pretty sure that with Teressa, there was definitely going to be a next time. And next time, I wasn’t going to lose.

up
257 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

losing the duel

okay I didnt expect her to lose. You just know Teressa will be back for more ..

DogSig.png

Technically, it was a loss.

It looks like Teressa took a bit more of a hit, though.

Technically, she won the duel...

Yes, technically, Teressa won the duel... But since her goal was to embarass/humiliate Erin so she'll leave the Academy and make it a Were-free zone again, it was sort of a low-key pyrrhic victory, since Erin humiliated her far more. I think for pompous twits like Teressa who are from proud old Touched families, they put more stock in the sorcerers duels than they deserve, like they settle everything of importance. But with all the safety spells and stuff now, it's more like a harmless boxing match to let the students blow off steam. Erin didn't expect or want to lose, but I doubt it was as big a deal to her as it would have been for Teressa to lose (and Teressa thought it hurt/humiliated Erin more than it actually did). To Erin, it's more like "Oh well, Teressa got lucky, I got sloppy, let's have dinner, I'll get her next time." Whereas her, umm, EXPOSURE of Teressa's enhanced chest humiliated Teressa more, even if she beat Erin according to the rules of the duel. (Although still not as much embarassment as Monica's initial use of her talent caused to Erin.)

Because of that, if I were Erin, I'd play it low-key and smile graciously (well, with condescending courteousness) at Teressa for the next while (until she tries something again, anyway) and act as if I'd won the duel, even though she actually did according to the rules.

As a bonus, THAT would piss Teressa off even more.

Lisa

I'm glad

I'm glad she lost, she needed a good smack down back to earth. She's not invincible nor the greatest in the land, she needed to not be so cocky.

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

Oops

Well at least the duel was controlled. I do have a feeling that next time, and I'm sure there will be a next time, the results will be different.

At least Erin's other friend Kimberly has come back.

Maggie

frak, smeg

Sadarsa's picture

Frak, Smeg, Bastich... am i the only one that gets ripped out of a story when i read cursing substitutes? Don't get me wrong, i can certainly understand *why* one would use them, but every time i run across one my mind stops reading the story.. translates the word to it's appropriate equivalent, scoff thinking 'yeah right i know what was *really* said' before trying to get back into the story.

It's just a temporary break in my suspension of belief, ya know? There are some stories that actually provide an explanation why the words are used, when that happens it's an amusing quirk of the story. Typically though there's no way in hell a kid will censor themselves in the middle of a fight and say "oh Frak or Smeg head"

my sugestion: don't curse at all if you don't want profanity in your story and use a creative insult instead. Like "That the best you got you crazy stalker?"

~Your only Limitation is your Imagination~

Sorry it breaks your suspension of disbelief, but...

The character REALLY IS saying the "substitute words" and the story DOES explain why (she's a sci-fi geek, as we see when she and Todd, another geek, get into geeking out together). Morpheus doesn't mind using actual profanity in his stories on occasion, without "substitute words". But THIS character of his prefers using THESE particular "substitute words" from her favorite sci-fi shows or movies or books.

Helpful Lisa

almost sorry

Sadarsa's picture

from all the feedback i've gotten from this comment im almost sorry i brought it up. I've gone back and re-read this, and no it doesn't directly link these strange words to Erin's geekdom. I think it's assumed that the reader knows what the words are and were they came from.

after having it explained it's sorta like "ahhh now i get it" but really, i never watched Red Dwarf, or battlestar galactica, farscape... so taking that in hand you can see why i was clueless as to where these weird words came from.

It's like writting gamer slang and expecting your readers to know what an AoE a HoT or a DoT is. "Tank hold hate, AoE's DPS the trash hard, DoT up the boss, and keep the HoT's comming!"...the non gamer- "Huh?"

ok well it's not that extreme but you get the idea...

~Your only Limitation is your Imagination~

almost sorry i brought it up...

I do get the idea. I'm a gamer as well as a geek, but not THAT kind of gamer (more single-player computer games and tabletop RPGs than MMORPGs or whatever your example's from). Most groups have their own jargon and slang and abbreviations and "sound bite" moments recognized by all or most of them. And though I do like a lot of the same shows as Erin and Todd, I don't care for some, or haven't been exposed to others, so I don't understand ALL the references. And some people won't ANY of them, which I get. But I still thought it was clear enough from context, even for those people, that she was making reference to them.

Especially if they know Morpheus's other work. His other characters (mostly) don't talk like this. He does try to make most of his main characters unique, give them a quirk or unusual trait or favorite phrase, something that sets them apart, etc. A lot of fellow geeks reading this story are jazzed about seeing some of these references from Erin. :P

I also get what you mean about being sorry you mentioned it. *grin* Happens to us all...

Lisa

Curse substitutes

They are from various universes that are familiar to most of geekdom. I don't find at all surprising that she uses them. After all, it's a habit that keeps her from getting her mouth washed out with soap while simultaneously giving her some geek cred. I find her use of the words to be a delightful part of the story.

But, you know, tanj it all, you just can't please everyone. ;-)

I didn't

expect for her to lose either, but it was a nice touch. We all know this isn't over yet. Either they're going to end up dueling again or more threats when the teachers aren't looking.

Good stuff!
Grover

PS: The cursing in this case is not substituting non-standard curses, but because like the "Force be with you" from Todd was because she is a SF fan of all of those TV shows and series. Ie... It's in character.

This is the "satisfaction?"

So, what exactly did this resolve? Is Terresa going to go back to trying to murder her classmates?

What did it resolve?

Right. It's not like losing the match so shamed Erin that she is leaving the Academy in mortal humiliation, like Teressa hoped. Mostly the duels are just a way to let angry teens work off anger or petty slights, while also giving them experience in magic combat (in a safe way). But it's not going to make more deep-seated resentments, jealousies or bigotries go away.

Lisa

She may have lost the duel...

But she won the prize!

Would engaging in a little PDA to rub it in be too bitchy?

AWWW shucks

my team lost