Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1940

Printer-friendly version
Battle of Britain commemoration..
(aka Bike)
Part 1940
by Angharad

Copyright © 2013 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
800px-Hurricane_mk1_r4118_fairford_arp_0.jpg

(Photo of Hawker Hurricane courtesy of wikipedia.)

The children all have accounts with the bank, mostly savings accounts but also a current account. To make sure they can’t abuse this or lose the money to fraud, there is only ever a couple of hundred kept in these accounts–so they can buy presents or the odd thing for themselves without needing to ask permission. They would usually withdraw money from the bank or hole in the wall ATMs, and to keep it safe they can’t withdraw more than fifty pounds at any one transaction or in any one period of twenty four hours. That’s the theory, the practice has never been tested–perhaps I should add–so far.

I sent Si a text asking if Danny’s account has had any unusual activity in recent days. I got a phone call back. “What’s he spent a hundred and seventy five pounds on?”

“What d’you mean?”

“A fortnight ago he had two hundred, he’s now down to twenty five pounds–what’s he spent it on?”

“I have no idea–we need to talk about this when you get home.”

“Okay, I’ll get a statement printed off.”

“Thanks, darling, I’ll see you later.”

I was interrupted by Trish, “Have you seen this?” she called.

“Seen what, sweetheart?”

“Your friend Cav could win the Tour of Qatar.”

“Oh, could he?” I hadn’t looked at a cycling website for a couple of weeks, which won’t be the case when the TdF starts. She called me to come and look and sure enough, he was in with a shout, a good shout, at winning the whole race. While sprinters don’t usually win stage races, which this is, Tom Boonen has won this race before and would probably have won it again had he been racing. So his loss is possibly Cav’s gain.

I took them to school and avoided the headmistress who I fear is always trying to inveigle me into some scheme or other to help the school. Recently, I’ve managed to avoid anything. I did try to divert attention for the governor’s post to Tom, but he was ill and declined it. So far she hasn’t come back after me–perhaps I should have taken the UN job, not the conservation advisor but the Secretary General’s one, it would easier dealing with the middle east crisis than Sister Maria.

Back home, I turned policewoman and searched Danny’s room for any new items which could have cost nearly two hundred pounds–there were none that I could see. So where had the money gone?

I tried to think what would a youngster spend it on–I didn’t think it was booze or fags, or even drugs–I’m sure I’d have noticed any of those–but seriously, would I? I began to doubt myself and worry–were we failing him?

What else–football kit or gadgets–he does like his gadgets. Then he’s got himself a girlfriend. I know this is a reality because he’s begun buying himself deodorant spray and using far too much. Trish commented that she was glad he didn’t come to school with her because she’d die from the fumes of his antiperspirant spray before they got to school. To Danny, Lynx is the height of sophistication like Old Spice and Brut used to be to earlier generations of young men. I suppose I could buy him some decent stuff for his birthday, I did suggest he used less of it; trying to explain that the object was to reduce sweating and subsequent odour not fumigate his armpits. It didn’t seem to make much difference, he still smelt overpoweringly unnatural.

While I don’t like body odour on me or anyone else, I do enjoy smelling some of Simon’s body scent and you may recall I used to enjoy smelling his shirt in the days before we lived to together. It made me feel good and was a combination of his toiletries and a bit of his body smell–but in combinations which complemented each other. I’ve heard stories of men sniffing women’s panties and getting turned on, the thought of sniffing Si’s underpants would do anything but excite me as i usually don a biological protection suit to collect them from the bedroom floor or shove them in the washing machine.

Not having the mk1 version of female genitalia, I doubt my panties would interest Si in any case, although the kitten got tangled up in a pair while I was doing the washing last week–she ran round the house wearing them over her head with me in hot, giggling pursuit. Eventually they went in the machine–the knickers only, not the kitten.

I remember seeing a picture on the internet of a vending machine in Japan which apparently sold hermetically sealed, soiled, women’s panties. I always knew eating whale meat was bad for you–seems I was right. Over here we are having a problem with manufacturers seemingly unwittingly adding horse meat or products derived from equines to processed meat products, the latest is beef lasagne. I’m not sure what the fuss is all about, I’ve been taking Premarin for years–or am I just taking the piss?

As I emerged from Danny’s room, I bumped into Stella. “You seemed to be in there a long time,” she observed.

“Just giving it a quick tidy, you know what boys are like?”

“Yeah, noisy and smelly.”

“No, I meant how casual they can be. I have to check to make sure he hasn’t hung up his dirty stuff and put the clean in the laundry basket.”

“If he puts anything in the laundry basket he’s better than Si, as I recall from the days in the cottage. When we moved from there, they found a pair of underpants and some socks under his bed which I reckon had been there for at least a couple of years.”

“Well he hasn’t done that here so far–to my knowledge.”

“No, because he’s got you to do it for him, although I know you complain about it every so often, so I don’t suppose he’s got the message yet. I reckon it would be easier to train Kiki than Simon.”

“I don’t want Kiki putting his pants in the laundry basket–yuck–they’re occasionally a bit dam...”

“Too much information, Cathy, far too much,” she rushed off down the stairs with Fiona.

I had an image of Kiki picking up Simon’s pants and popping them in the laundry basket–or of him training her to do it. I also had one of her refusing to go near them on the grounds of health and safety. That one was funnier especially when it included his socks as well.

Poor Simon, we do lead him a song and dance on occasion–though sometimes he richly deserves it. Then I remembered the day Stella put his pants in the freezer–he was not amused, especially when he went commando and we teased him. I chuckled out loud and Stella called up the stairs that I sounded like I was crazy, laughing to myself. I couldn’t tell her why, she might do it again and then the girls or Danny might copycat it–that would lead to World War 3 and life is difficult enough already.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Britain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTs9m3qiP4w

up
214 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sincerely hope Danny

hasn't gotten into something dangerous or illegal (or unethical).

You have to wonder what's going on in Angharad's life to inspire so much discussion of underwear.

keep up Ang

Maddy Bell's picture

Cav won his fourth stage Friday securing the Qatar title! 95 career wins as a pro since 2008, not bad for a trackie eh? Its his second stage race win - not something sprinters make a habit of doing.

As for Danny, its obvious that theres some mmmphhh!


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

Thanks ...

... for the picture of a Hurricane - makes a change from the usual Spitfire and I like them rather more. A friend of mine is building a quarter scale one. Not sure just why it's there, though. The BoB was fought from July to October when I was a very small person in 1940. I don't remember it very well.

I wonder what Danny has been spending his money on. Almost certainly something to do with his love life. Having attended a single-sex secondary school, members of the opposite gender were as familiar to me as Martians were - and my knowledge of Martians was limited to reading E R Burroughs SF :)

Robi

On reflection, I just noticed the episode number! As it's my birth year I should have noticed. It shows that the older I get the more stupid I become. I just hope I fail to achieve 100, though I probably won't notice it if I do.

Hopefully, Danny's spending

is innocent. Could it be that taken it via electronic fraud? Did he lose his bank card? Maybe he is actually buying some Battle of Britain memento for Tom.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Gwen, Who wrote those books?

Gwen,

Who wrote those books? Might they have not been Americans, or any other nationality?

Please remember the context of American opinion at the time; all too many Americans remembered the Brits suckering us into your meaningless, to us, war. Please read Tanya Allan's newest book "A Chance Would Be a Fine Thing", in it she has a very concise timeline of how WWI started, and why.

I would call to your attention that "Colonials" have more than enough pluck and determination. Ask "Monty", all he wanted to do was waste American lives as your General Staff did in the trenches. Individuals on all sides were as brave as they could be given the circumstances. You bled, we bled. Enough of who bled more.

Unlike you chaps, we didn't, and still don't, put SAM sites on civilian buildings. All a Phalanx or Avenger would have been able to do is spray downtown Manhattan with burning fuel and high velocity shrapnel. Imagine exploding an airliner over Trafalgar Square at the height of rush hour. And with the ROE in place at the time, it would have taken an order from either CinC NORAD or the President to fire any weapons that morning. Neither would have occurred in time to have any effect on the outcome.

George Bush isn't Winston Churchill. We didn't need to kill all those people to "badger" Saddam. There are still people here in the US that think the Lusitania was carrying munitions. The Apollo missions were fake. And Elvis is still alive.

TGNear-Avatar_0.png

Bear

Kim, Just "expensive".

Kim,

Just "expensive". Impressing them is still hit or miss regardless of the cash flow.

TGNear-Avatar_0.png

Bear

Well Chosen

I am glad you selected a Hurricane for the BoB. Though not as sexy as the Spit, it was what won the battle, which is why I expect Derk Robinson selected it for his novel, 'A Piece of Cake.'

Nancy Cole


~ ~ ~

"You may be what you resolve to be."

T.J. Jackson

Quite.

The Spitfire was more technologically advanced but the Hurri, being largely fabric covered, was a lot easier to repair and get back into the fight. Anyway, they were both powered by RR Merlin engines designed and manufactured (largely) in Derby. Sadly, I still think the FW 190 is the sexiest WW2 fighter aeroplane; it wasn't called 'the Butcher Bird' for nothing.

Robi

Nah, the prettiest aircraft ever made

Angharad's picture

was the de Haviland Mosquito, it's like a racehorse compared to the Spitfire's greyhound.

300px-De_Havilland_DH-98_Mosquito_ExCC.jpg

Angharad

Seriously?

Enough of all this Anglo-centric drivel!

The WINNER of the most Beautiful Single Seat Fighter is:

00_GrimReaper_045.jpg

Mustangs RULE!

TGNear-Avatar_0.png

Bear

Sorry, I tend to...

Sorry, I tend to agree with Angharad that the Mosquito was one of the more attractive aircraft of the war. The only American model (prop driven) that came close had gull wings or the P-38 lightning with it's twin fuselage.

The wooden wonder was also used for oh-so many jobs.

Annette

Ever see the F-82 Twin

Ever see the F-82 Twin Mustang?

Proves that twice the plane isn't twice as good. The Mosquito was a very attractive aircraft.

Then again I like the P-61 Black Widow, the A-26, and old reliable, the Jug. One of my classmates in grade school Father flew a P-47 almost 300 miles back to base in England with two cylinders shot out.

TGNear-Avatar_0.png

Bear

Check out

the ultimate FW-190, the TA-152.

TGNear-Avatar_0.png

Bear

Danny's got a ...

girlfriend! And, he's doing his best to impress her. How can Cathy and Simon miss the obvious?

Or, it this some clever plot twist, conceived in the mind of the plot mistress, Angharad. Tune in tomorrow, same time, same station for our next episode!

Oh, and thanks for the picture of the Hurricane. Had it not been for Hawker's firm belief in his aircraft, manufacturing it in spite of the lack of interest by His Majesty's government, the Blitz would have had a very different outcome. As it was, that sturdy, reliable, and versatile airframe, downed the Axis over the Channel, in North Africa, and in the CBI Theater. Surely, this is one of history's great airplanes.

Red MacDonald

Ho boy...

I recall the one time I pulled a pile of money out of my savings... (For an engagement ring.) Luckily I had a good story, at least for my mom... (I needed to buy airplane tickets home from school, etc...)

While, Danny's a tad young for an engagement ring, I wouldn't put it past him to be using the money for something for a lady (from what I've heard, gents don't give other gents that kind of gift to often). But, one does have to wonder. Perhaps it's something that he needs to replace (lost football shoes?) There COULD be a good reason for the sudden drop in funds. Makes me wonder though.

Wonder - when did the drop in money in his account happen, in relation to Pete's visit... Perhaps Pete told his sister how Rich Danny's family was, and he's trying to make it look like he has lots of cash? *sighs*

Thanks,
Annette