Alex in Wonderland - 6

Printer-friendly version
Alex always wanted to be a girl.
He gets his wish when he wakes up on an alien world.
Alex in Wonderland
Chapter 6
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

By
Amethyst
~As tempting as that is... Oh damn is that tempting right now... I don't think we should until we know what caused this. I wouldn't want any of our heads to explode.~

 
Author's Note: Here's chapter 6 of Alex in Wonderland. This one has a few hints of what's to come. Thank you as always to all my readers for the comments, kudos, and thinking that my work is worth reading. Also thanks to the Big Closet team who work tirelessly to give us all a wonderfully supportive venue to read and post TG fiction ~Amethyst.
 


 
Chapter 6: Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

I quickly cut her off, opening my eyes to look into hers and squeezed her hands in my own shaking ones. ~Jezz, this is an order. Shut up and kiss me.~

She wasted no time in obeying that order, leaning forward until our lips met. The kiss felt incredible. It was like the more I could feel her enjoying it, the more I enjoyed it. And the more I enjoyed it, the more she did, and so on, until it was like there was an explosion of pleasure and passion in my mind and we broke apart, both of us panting heavily. Then I noticed that Chrissy was laying on my pillow with a similar look of bliss on her face as was pasted on Jezz's face, and probably my own as well. I could feel the bliss from both of them as well. Even Michelle felt like it. I took Jezz's hand in mine again and thought, ~What in the hell was that?~

Jezz couldn't seem to wipe the smile off her face, and she let out a happy sigh. ~Amazing is what it was. That was the best kiss ever.~

Michelle's voice popped in. ~Whatever it was, Grayle and I felt it too. She has this dopey grin on her face. I thought I told you two to keep it down.~ She wasn't as grouchy as she was trying to make us believe though, and I could feel it in her mind.

Grayle obviously didn't believe her either as she put in. ~Like you don't have the same look on your face. That felt really nice.~

~Okay, we all agree that it was the best kiss ever. I almost feel like I need a cigarette. Even Chrissy is in happy land over this.~ I thought at them all.

~You need a what?~ Jezz asked, confused. I guess they don't smoke in the Greylands.

~Don't you dare even joke about that!~ Michelle's voice made me almost leap off the bed. ~I lost you once because of smoking, and I'm not about to do it again!~

I tried to calm her down. ~Whoa! Cool down sis! I'm sorry, I shouldn't have joked about that. What I meant is, why did a simple kiss...~

~The best kiss ever,~ Jezz interjected with a giggle and another happy sigh.

I sighed ~Okay, why did “the best kiss ever” between me and Jezz make all four of us, and apparently Chrissy too, feel like we just had the best sex of our lives? And if that's just a kiss, even if it was the best kiss ever, what would happen if we tried something more?~

Jezz, her eyes half closed in contentment, just smiled at me. ~Want to try and find out?~

I looked at the Cinole, laying on her belly on the bed in front of me, and swallowed the sudden lump in my throat. I could just see the tops of her breasts peeking out from her camisole and her legs were bent at the knees waving her feet in the air causing her skirt to ride up ever so slightly. Between that, the very sultry smile on her face, and the post-kiss bliss, I was feeling just a little hot under the collar and could feel my nipples getting hard, all six of them. ~As tempting as that is... Oh damn is that tempting right now... I don't think we should until we know what caused this. I wouldn't want any of our heads to explode.~

Amongst the four of us we decided to wait to until I could talk to Patar about my Gifts before trying anything further, or risking a repeat of the best kiss ever, or something similar. So, as much as I didn't like it, Jezz went to her room for the night, while I took a warm bath before going to sleep. The warm and fuzzies of the kiss followed by the bath had me so relaxed that I fell asleep nearly instantly.

=^..^=

I was flying. More accurately, the massive Drakan with silvery scales and iridescent wings that I was riding was flying. Far below us was a seemingly endless expanse of sand. The feeling of flying didn't give me the same thrill it did before, I was too focused on the black line in the distance. As we got closer the line resolved itself into people wearing armor and walking in formation. Several carried a black flag with an eclipsed moon on it, a symbol which made me extremely uncomfortable.

I wondered how they could be comfortable in the desert wearing armor and black cloaks as I looked down the seemingly endless line. I kept expecting them to look up and point at us, but for some reason they didn't notice us. The people were all Human, and while many of them were walking, there were also formations of them riding Machuls and horses, and wagons of supplies being pulled along. In some of those wagons rode Human men and women in black robes, who I somehow knew were Gifted.

We flew to the end of the line, far too long for my liking, and then we turned about and flew back across the desert until sand gave way to rock, then soil and farmland. Soon we were back at the capital and circling around the palace. We landed in one of the larger courtyards and were greeted by Jezz. She looked older and was wearing a tiara much like my own. “How bad is it m' love?” she asked.

~ ~ ~

Suddenly I was flying once more, atop that great radiant Drakan, over large mountains this time. Ahead, there were shadows passing over the mountains, shadows not caused by Drakans or clouds. These shadows were born of the great ships which sailed through the skies over the mountains, ships bearing the black eclipse as their sails. We landed atop a plateau some distance away, where many Drakans of the various flying types waited, a grizzled looking Patar and Runne among them. I dismounted and walked toward the others and Patar asked, “What is your plan my Queen?”

~ ~ ~

We were flying once again, over the fields and farms of Azure. Dodging and weaving as Thaumaturges threw balls of fire, lightning, and great lances of stone at the Drakans around us. Stone and Earth Drakans fought them, and their black clad troops, on the ground alongside soldiers of all races. In the sky we rained terror upon them in the forms of fire, ice, lightning, water, and whatever large projectiles we could drop on them. I fired arrows into their midst whenever I could manage a clear shot. Fields once filled with food meant to give life were now littered with the bodies of the dead.

=^..^=

I awoke screaming in the dark, and sat in bed sobbing for several minutes, the dreams still fresh in my mind. I thought of Itari's words from the day before: We can no more see the future than you can Alexis. We see flashes here and there, various possible outcomes, but all we can do is follow our hearts and hope for the best. That is all the advice I can give you. I shivered and held Chrissy in my arms as I waited for the sun to rise. Her warmth, and presence in my arms, was appreciated and I could feel that she was almost as scared as I was. Perhaps my scream had frightened her.

We both were somewhat calmer when dawn began to paint the sky outside my windows in shades of red, orange, and gold. By this time both Chrissy and I were getting hungry, and I could feel Michelle stirring in the back of my mind. I picked out a nice emerald colored sundress with matching sandals, and proper underclothes to go with it, since the weather had been turning progressively warmer since I had arrived. I was thinking that it must be the end of spring, and summer was coming, as I began to get dressed and rang for Felice.

I had barely finished dressing before Felice arrived with my breakfast. “Oh, you look lovely this morning Your Highness. Shall we braid your hair today, or would you prefer it loose?”

I considered the options for a moment before replying, “I think we should go with a braid today. I have no idea what I'll be up to, and I don't want my hair getting in the way. Unless there's something planned today that I've forgotten. Is Patar back from border patrol yet? I need to speak with him about a few things today.”

She smiled at me, and it struck me that we Zenin are adorably cute when we smile. She replied, “No Your Highness there are no official functions today. Sir Patar returned late last night, and he has requested an audience with you and Lady Jezz to discuss your training schedules.”

“Good,” I responded, “there are some matters, and some training concerns, I need to speak with him about. Could you get something for Chrissy to eat while I have my breakfast Felice? She seems to be used to eating whenever I am.”

My maid chuckled as she took the domed silver lid off my breakfast, revealing my breakfast tray and a small silver bowl filled with shredded meat and berries. “I had expected that Your Highness, so I took the liberty of bringing Chrissy's breakfast up along with yours.” She took the bowl and placed it on the floor beside my breakfast table.

Chrissy leaped off the bed and affectionately nuzzled Felice's leg before digging in, humming happily as she ate. I just shook my head and smiled. “Felice, you know me too well. Thank you.” Then I too started to tuck into my breakfast of broiled fish, scrambled eggs, bread with sweet butter, and rillfruit juice. Once I was finished, Felice began to brush out and braid my hair, which gave me some time to mentally check on Michelle. ~Sis how are you feeling this morning?~

~Not as good as last night,~ she joked, ~but I'm eating and feeling pretty good, aside from a bit of itchiness. How are you this morning Alex? You feel like you're worried. Is it about what happened last night?~

I had to resist shaking my head in response. ~No. I had some disturbing dreams last night. Those, combined with something that Itari said to me yesterday, are bothering me. Thinking about it now, it was like She was dropping a really subtle hint the way that She said it.~

~What did she say?~ Michelle asked.

I sighed as I watched Felice begin to braid my hair in the mirror. ~I had asked Her why the other Gods hadn't tried to prevent Her brother Lharus from misusing His power. Her answer was that They can no more see the future than I can. She even used my name to stress the point. She said They get flashes of possible outcomes, but nothing definitive, and that all They, or we, can do is what feels right and hope for the best.~

~You think that you were seeing the future?~ Michelle asked, her thoughts a bit confused.

~I think that I was seeing possible futures,~ I clarified, barely keeping from shuddering. ~And they weren't good.~ The events from my dreams replayed through my mind as I thought about them. This time I did shudder.

~That's what you dreamed of?!~ Michelle practically screamed in my mind. ~If those really were possible futures Alex, that's really bad!~

“Are you alright your Highness?” Felice asked, concern on her face in the mirror.

I gave her a weak smile. “I'm fine, I just remembered a bad dream that I had last night. I'll be fine, once I can talk to Patar and Jezz.” Then I thought to Michelle, ~Bad doesn't begin to describe it. You seemed to be full grown, or close to it, in those dreams so we have some time I think, but I think that we need to start preparing now. Nothing obvious, but maybe start considering countermeasures.~

~What sort of countermeasures?~ Michelle inquired.

~Well for one thing,~ I mentally grumbled, ~we'll need to figure out a way to take down those airships, or whatever they are, in case that comes to pass. For another, I'll need a better long distance weapon than a bow and arrows if we ever need to fight from the air.~

At that point Felice had finished braiding my hair and placed my tiara atop my head. “Is there anything else that you require before I send for Sir Patar and Lady Jezz, Your Highness?”

With thoughts of needing a better long range weapon fresh in my mind, I nodded. “Please tell the royal Enchanter that I would like to speak with him as soon as he has the time.”

“Yes Your Highness,” she replied with a curtsy, before taking Chrissy's empty bowl and my breakfast tray and leaving the room.

=^..^=

When Patar and Jezz came in I raised my hand to keep Patar from speaking a word. “Felice, please see to it that we aren't interrupted. We may all need to take lunch in here today as well. We have a lot to discuss. Also, please come let me know when the royal Enchanter has time to join us.”

“Yes Your Highness,” my maid answered before leaving to ensure our privacy.

Patar raised an eyebrow as she left the room. “All business this morning are you?”

I merely shrugged as I told him, “We have a lot to discuss this morning.” Then I gave both he and Jezz a long look before adding, “And Gifts and training are just the tip of the iceberg.”

Then I began to describe my dreams from the night before, in as much detail as possible. They both listened carefully and Jezz blushed a bit at her appearance in the first dream. Finally, once I was finished, Patar gave me a searching look. “The symbol of the black eclipse on a black background is the symbol of the God Lharus and the Lharusian Empire. Have you seen it before in your studies with Jezz? They are just nightmares Princess. You are probably just nervous about becoming Queen someday.”

I shook my head. “I thought at first they were just nightmares, but I've never seen that symbol before those dreams. Yesterday I was speaking with Itari, and She said something that is making me wonder about those dreams.”

“The Gods don't interfere in the lives of mortals Princess.” Patar said, shaking his head.

“That's what She told me," I agreed, "but when I asked about Lharus, and why the Gods didn't prevent Him from interfering and abusing His powers, She told me something else. She said, and I quote, 'We can no more see the future than you can Alexis. We see flashes here and there, various possible outcomes, but all we can do is follow our hearts and hope for the best. That is all the advice I can give you.' The way She said it, and the timing of these dreams, seems just a little too convenient.”

Patar sighed. “That is concerning, and prophesy does rarely occur in Diviners. Do you really think that Itari was trying to warn you?”

I looked out the window toward the courtyard and shrugged. “The Gods don't interfere in the lives of mortals directly, but I think indirectly interfering is another matter entirely. Itari and Selune may regret not having stopped Lharus before, I certainly got that feeling while talking with Itari. This may be Their way of making amends.”

Patar let out a curse, “Drek! If the Gods are choosing to interfere in the mortal world, even indirectly, your dreams may not be far off the mark. There may be hard times ahead for all of us. Even more reason to get you girls properly trained in Healing, and the other things you'll need to learn. Have you had any Gifts besides prophesy showing up?”

I told him, as briefly as I could, about the empathy and telepathy that I had discovered the day before and then we awkwardly explained about the best kiss ever. Jezz and I were both blushing at that point, at least I had fur to hide mine. For the next few candlemarks he had me try various things at various distances or when touching. According to Patar, my Gift for telepathy and mind reading was only by touch. So it was not terribly powerful, but it would allow me to have quiet conversations with people I was touching, and anyone that they are telepathically linked to. We tried it with Runne, as well as with my mother while Patar opened a mind link with her, and it worked fine both times.

My empathy was another matter, and seemed to work equally well with animals and people. We discovered that I had a range of about fifty feet and that I was both a receptive and projective empath. What this meant was that, not only could I sense what other people were feeling, but I could also, when concentrating, make others feel what I wanted them to feel. It was easier with animals, but I could do it with people too if I tried hard enough. This also happens if I'm feeling really strong emotions and not thinking about keeping them from leaking out. That was the reason Chrissy was all blissed out after the the best kiss ever.

Patar figured that the reaction of the kiss itself was due to an emotional feedback loop. Basically, I was receiving Jezz' emotions and sending mine to her, but amplified by hers, then getting more back, sending it again, and so on until the pleasure centers of our brains overloaded, giving us a sort of mental orgasm. I still had a lot of practice to learn to control it all, but at least now I knew what I had to work with. Until then, keeping things to just kissing for now was likely to keep Jezz and I both satisfied until we were ready for more.

Once we were done figuring out my Gifts, we sat down again to discuss our training. Patar looked us both over thoughtfully as he began to speak. “I think we will start with your Healing studies first thing in the mornings, then we can move on to lessons in geography, history, and the things that Princess Alexis will need to know as Heir, and later as Queen.” He gave the two of us a wink as he added, “And it may be a good thing for you to be learning these things as well Jezz.” She blushed at that, but nodded in agreement. “You will be taking all your lessons together and Larane will be your Healing instructor, while I will instruct you in everything else.”

“Well that sounds easy enough,” I commented with a nod, “but I was thinking I should probably learn something that will keep me alive if a war does happen.”

“Hold on,” Patar said with a grin, “I was getting to that. After a break for lunch, I will teach you about survival in different areas of the Greylands, and after that you will both be learning everything I can teach you about combat. Princess, you will be learning the sword, and probably the bow. Jezz, your people aren't built for fighting so we may have to concentrate on long range for you, maybe bows and the like, but having a sword or dagger would be good too. If enemies get too close then Grayle can fight them if she has to, but I want you both to know this: Don't let enemies get close. Your Drakans will protect you, if it comes to that, but they are not invincible. Sadly, neither of your Drakans have offensive skills either, other than what comes with their teeth, claws, and tails. As their Chosen, it is your job to protect them, as much as it is theirs to protect you.”

We both gave a determined nod at that. Nobody was going to get close enough to hurt Michelle, if I could help it. “I may have an idea for a better weapon than a bow. I was wondering though, what exactly are Michelle's and Grayle's abilities?”

“Well,” Patar began thoughtfully, “both of them have size going for them. Radiants and Shadows are the largest of the Drakans, and Earth Drakans are not far behind them in size. So sheer size can count in a fight, longer reach with their tails and necks and such, and they should be strong too. Other than that, Grayle as an Earth Drakan can help plants grow and stay healthy. Her saliva can heal most wounds and poisons and can be used with other ingredients by Healers to make tonics and such. She should be useful to you both as Healers, but only her size and her hard scales make her useful in combat.”

Jezz's eyes lit up at the mention of Grayles usefulness to Healers. “I guess we were well matched af'terall. I dun need a flyin' Drakan but 'un that can help with Healin' is perfect fer me.”

I nodded as I agreed, “She'll be great to have around once we start making potions and stuff. She can keep our healing herbs and other plants healthy too. So what about Michelle, what does she have other than her size?”

Patar grinned at me. “Radiants and their Chosen are the best spies in the Greylands, though Shadows come a close second.”

I crossed my arms and glared at him for teasing me. “You just said they're the biggest of the Drakans, how could something so big and shiny possibly make a good spy?”

He just kept grinning as he said, “Simple, Radiants control light, or rather they bend light to suit their purposes. They can bend light around themselves to become invisible. They can make others invisible too, though it is easier if the person is wearing clothes made from their scales. With enough practice, imagination, and concentration they can create illusions as well.”

I blinked as I remembered something. “So we'd be perfect to do advanced scouting, like in my dream. They'd never see us coming.”

A knocking at the door interrupted our conversation at that point, and Felice stepped inside with two other palace servants carrying trays, “Your lunch Your Highness. Also Galan, the royal Enchanter, has said that he will meet with you after lunch if it is convenient.”

I nodded at my maid eagerly. “Thank you Felice. Please place the trays on the table and tell Galan that after lunch would be wonderful, we'll be waiting for him here.”

“Yes Your Highness,” she replied as she and the other servants placed the trays on my breakfast table and curtsied, before once again leaving us alone.

Once they had left, we all sat at the table and I gave Chrissy her lunch, while we settled in for ours. Patar looked at me from across the table and queried, “What do you need the royal Enchanter for?”

I finished a bite of my steak, swallowing it. I wasn't sure what animal it came from but it was delicious. “You mentioned us needing long range weapons and I was thinking the same. A bow just isn't practical though while flying, even with my vision, accuracy with it at higher altitudes would be near impossible. And Jezz won't be able to use the stronger bows; she's too small, and not strong enough. Besides, I think Jezz and I are going to need something with a little more stopping power.” I took another bite of the steak and some of the potatoes and gravy as I watched for his reaction.

He nodded as he finished a bite of his own meal. “You have valid points Princess. I take it that you have something else in mind?”

I took a sip of my sweet milk to wash down another bite of the steak before answering, “I do. There's long range weapons on my world that are pretty easy to use, and I'm hoping that Galan will be able to work with a blacksmith and create something similar, possibly with some modifications. There are different types for different purposes. I'm thinking of a smaller one handed model for Jezz and maybe for me as well, and a larger, long range model for when I'm flying. It could be something to give those of us who aren't Thaumaturges an edge in battle, and half a chance if we have to fight a Thaumaturge. I doubt that I'd be able to get close enough to stick a sword in one of them if they decided to use a distance spell on me first, so I'm hoping to even the odds.”

“So, you are thinking that if we have some of these weapons of yours that we will have a better chance of victory?” Patar asked.

I nodded, asking a question in return.“How does the Empire fight a war?”

Patar quickly repied, “Mostly they use ground troops armed with swords and spears. Each unit of fifty is commanded by one or more Thaumaturges, who will attack the more important or larger targets such as Drakans or other Thaumaturges. Sometimes they use shifters as spies to find a weakness, or prime targets, and Wind Walkers to turn the weather to their advantage.”

“So I figure if we have the ability to take out their heavy hitters, then that leaves our heavy hitters open to do their thing at least until they realize what we're doing and start taking measures to counter it. Then we only have to deal with their troops, while the rest of their Thaumaturges have their hands full with our own and our Drakans. They may outnumber us, but if we get organized right, send out Radiant's and Shadows as spies before battles, have our fliers attack from above, use the terrain to our advantage, and come up with decent strategies we could hold our own.”

“You make it sound so easy,” Patar said grimly, “I guarantee if war does come to us, it won't be. Should they manage to make it into Azure, they won't stop until we're all dead.”

“Or they are,” I added. “This is exactly why we’ll need every advantage we can get.”

Jezz looked up from her own meal and nodded. “Hopefully we'll have plenty of time t' prepare.”

Patar looked thoughtful. “Still, it cannot hurt to step up border patrols, and see about training a defense force now before it's too late. Maybe some long range scouting too. We will have to inform their Majesties about your dreams, and the possibility of war sometime in the future.”

The rest of lunch was a quiet affair, though the lunch itself was delicious. Soon though, Felice and the other servants came to take the trays and inform us of the arrival of the royal Enchanter. Galan was a short Human with shaggy brown hair and blue eyes, who had broad shoulders and was just a tiny bit overweight. He was a friendly and jovial sort though, and I liked him almost as soon as I met him. “You asked for my services your Highness? What can I do for you today?”

I quickly sketched out a few designs based on a hand gun, a shotgun, and a rifle. I never really cared much for guns, but on earth my father was a big gun enthusiast. He taught me all about them, and took me to the shooting range hoping to do some male bonding. I had hated every minute of it, but I still remembered what I learned. Once I was done sketching I explained to him the purpose of each type, how they worked, what each piece did, and the difference between bullets and shotgun shells. Sadly I didn't know how to make gunpowder.

Galan seemed intrigued by the designs and figured that he could probably create something similar using a number of enchantments on the different parts. The hard part would be making the parts and combining them, but he figured that our blacksmith would be able to make the individual pieces. Then he and the blacksmith could put the pieces together into a working whole and he could enchant what parts needed it. He also figured that he could use an extremely powerful blast of air to launch projectiles, rather than the explosive method of gunpowder. This could allow them to make the weapons out of much lighter weight materials, and avoid the use of shell casings altogether. Buckshot, and thus shotguns, were quickly discarded as impractical since it would require shell casings and an extra enchantment so we focused on the other two designs.

Once we had designs that Galan and Patar were both happy with, Patar dragged us down to the courtyard that served as a weapons practice yard and host to our blacksmith. The blacksmith, a massive grey Jiquar looked up at our approach. “Hello there Patar, ah I see that Her Highness is with you today, what can I do for you?”

Patar greeted him with a slap on the back. “Kardis, this is Princess Alexis of course, her companion Jezz, and you know Galan. First, I need the finest sword you can make for Princess Alexis; she needs a blade befitting her status. We'll need a good dagger for Jezz as well, since both these girls need to learn how to fight if they are to be proper Chosen. Second, Her Highness had some ideas for something a bit better than a bow, and Galan will need your help making all the pieces.”

Kardis nodded. “I have just the thing for our Princess.”He went into the back of the forge and came out with a long leather wrapped package. “I figured with Her Highness getting Chosen that she would be needing a proper blade. You will not find a finer blade in all of Azure, I assure you.” He unrolled the package revealing a sturdy looking black leather belt and a sheathed bastard sword and dagger. The sheaths were of the same black leather, with gold ornamentation and emeralds. The hilts of both blades were steel with gold inlay, and large emeralds in the pommels, while the guards and the blades were a polished silvery gray and looked very sharp.

I picked up the sword experimentally, my eyes widening in surprise. “It's so light. I expected it to be heavier.”

The blacksmith nodded. “I had Galan enchant it to make it lighter. Between that and the balance, you shouldn't have any problems with it. If you need either of them sharpened or repaired bring them to me, but I guarantee you that's the strongest blade I have ever forged. The dagger is fine quality too.”

I smiled at Kardis. “These are beautiful work Kardis, could you make a similar short sword for Jezz? If it's light enough, and made for her size, it may be better than a standard dagger for her.”

He smiled, bowing his head slightly. “I would be happy to Your Highness. I will make the blade as fine as your own.” At that point Patar brought out the designs for Kardis to look at and we discussed how he could go about making the parts. Without the requirement of a gunpowder reaction to propel the bullets, it was decided that rather than using iron for the barrel we would use a lighter weight alloy to make the guns easier to handle, but still sturdy enough in case they were dropped or otherwise bumped around.

Once we were finished talking with Kardis, Patar began to give me my first lessons with a sword. We used lightweight practice swords and he began by showing me various thrusts, blocks, parries, what stance I should be standing in, and how to take advantage of my superior agility and sense of balance. It was a long, hard workout and by the end I had worked up a really good sweat. I was a very tired Zenin by dinner time.

At dinner Patar and I brought up the subject of my new Gifts, and by extension my dreams, with my parents. They were not happy with that news at all, and began to make plans to quietly start forming a defense force and sending out regular spy missions to keep an eye on the empire. After dinner Jezz and I laid on my bed holding hands, as we and our Drakans talked about the day’s events and what we were going to have to do to prepare ourselves for the possible futures that I had seen. We were going to be very busy girls for some time it would seem.

=^..^=

Almost two weeks, or rather two sevensuns, had passed since my dreams and I had yet to experience another. Jezz and I had settled into the routine that Patar had decided on for us and spent our evenings together in my rooms studying, talking with our Drakans, or sometimes just kissing and cuddling. I was beginning to get some measure of control over my empathy and our kissing now only caused mental fireworks when we got really amorous. I was nowhere near fully controlling my Gifts yet, but I was making a good start.

I was also learning more and more about my new home each day. Patar was a good teacher, though he pushed us mercilessly when we were doing combat training. Occasionally though, he would give us an afternoon off and encourage us to go into the city and do some shopping or play with Michelle and Grayle in their courtyard. The shopping trips were a bit scary for me at first, and we needed guards since a lot of people wanted to talk to the Princess. Not that being in the palace with spare time was any better, as there I had hopeful nobles wanting to introduce me to their sons, and sometimes their daughters.

Our Drakans were growing steadily, both over twice their birth size now, and moving around more on their own. They were a long way from their full size, but seeing as they were only two and a half weeks old I thought that they were making good progress. We would soon have to think of preparing them a place to live other than the courtyard since, unlike Michelle, Grayle wouldn’t be able to fly in and out once they were full grown. There was a large area of bare land on the island behind the palace, but we would need to make it comfortable for them both.

They had both shed their scaly skins during that first growth spurt, and the castle seamstresses were working on making the thick scale covered hides into body suits, gloves, and boots for Jezz and me. I had also suggested a hooded cloak for me, to take full advantage of Michelle’s Radiant scales. If they didn’t have enough to work with, then they would make the rest of the clothes and spares when the Drakans shed again. I once joked with Michelle, ~We’re twins, so how come I’m getting your hand-me-downs?~

Jezz and I had just finished lunch one afternoon when Patar and Galan knocked on the door to my rooms. I was expecting our usual survival training and was a bit confused to see Galan there. “Hello Galan, it’s nice to see you again.”

“Good afternoon Your Highness. At Kardis’ request, I enchanted Jezz’s sword the same as I did yours and I thought that I would bring them by.”

I smiled at the Enchanter. “That was very sweet of you Galan, but you didn’t need to come here just for that, we could have picked them up.”

“I did have another reason for coming Your Highness,” Galan admitted with a smile. "The items that Kardis and I were working on for you are ready. Patar and I were thinking that you and Jezz would like to come down to the practice yard and test them.”

I quickly nodded. “I’m eager to see if you were able to make them work like I was hoping.” Jezz and I got to our feet and followed Patar and Galan down to the practice yard, where some large wood and straw practice targets had been set up on the far wall. Once we were there, Patar placed the large canvass package he was carrying on the ground and unrolled it. Inside was what looked like a long barreled rifle over three feet in length, with a metal tube mounted on top, and two smaller packages, which when unrolled revealed two hand guns of different sizes. The guns were all silver in color, and the rifle boasted a black wooden stock.

“How did you get them to look so much like the designs I sketched?” I asked. “I was expecting something more… primitive, no offense to you or Kardis.”

Galan chuckled at that. “Kardis is not just a fine blacksmith Your Highness, he is a Shifter and a right powerful one. Besides changing his own shape, he can also subtly change the shape of other people, or objects. Your designs were a challenge for him, but you could not have found a better smith to do it. Still, making these strained both of our Gifts. We do not think that we will be able to make a lot of these. The ammunition was a lot easier though.”

I nodded grimly as I muttered, “Hopefully we won’t need a lot of them.”

Galan handed the smaller handgun to Jezz and gave me the larger of the two. “Both these and the larger weapon use the same ammunition. We thought that it would be easier that way, and the bullets should not be hard to mass produce for your needs. Each clip can hold seven bullets.” He showed us the sharp pointed bullets and a clip as he explained. “The trigger is enchanted so that once you pull it, an extremely powerful wind will be summoned to fire the bullet and pull the next bullet in the clip into the firing chamber. They should work just as you wished them to, give them a try.”

I pointed the weapon in my hand at one of the targets and fired a shot. My shot went a bit low, since I was expecting a kick that never happened. The only sound the weapon made was a silent ppphhtt. I took another shot, and it hit much closer to the center of the target. I gave Jezz a quick lesson on how to use a gun and proper gun safety, then both Jezz and I emptied our clips into the targets. I turned to Galan with a grin. “These are perfect. We’ll need to work on our aim, but these should do nicely. What about the rifle?”

“The tube on the top will magnify your view as you wanted," he explained with a nod. "It has been enchanted to show you the magnified view directly in the path of the barrel of the weapon. So long as you do not twitch, and have your target marked clearly in the center, you should have no problem with accuracy. To increase or decrease the magnification you just need to think about it. There is another enchantment on the barrel of each of the weapons.”

I raised an eyebrow at this since I already had everything I wanted in these guns. “What kind of enchantment?”

The Enchanter grinned at me. “The clips you both just emptied are normal ammunition, but I have also included some special rounds. I will be color coding them according to their effect. The enchantment on the barrel will cause any enchantments on the bullets to be activated one heartbeat after they leave the barrel.” He handed me a clip and the rifle. “This clip contains one of those special rounds. Shall we all go to the top of the northwest tower? We have a wooden target floating on the north side of the lake, I would like you to try and hit it.”

Soon I was lying down on the top of the tower, scanning the lake through the scope of the rifle with Jezz, Patar, and Galan sitting nearby to watch me attempt to hit the target. To help my aim, I had the rifle resting on the retractable bipod that I had requested. Finally I saw it floating lazily in the water, halfway between the island and the far shore. It was pretty big, about the size of a rowboat, and I was pretty sure that it was going to be easy to hit. I carefully took aim, remembering to account for the lack of a kick, and fired. I was still looking through the scope when the target literally exploded. “Holy shit.”

(C)2013 Amethyst Gibbs

Image by Andree Wallin at http://andreewallin.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=24

up
210 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A cross between a sniper

A cross between a sniper rifle and a rocket launcher? I don't want to be the human empire when they attack. This way they'll put the airships down before they even got close to the mountains - excpet they have some anti-magic protection, which would block the rocket-launcher effect.

This mental feedback thing could be dangerous, I think. If they do it too long it might damage their brains.

Thank you for writing this captivating story,
Beyogi

Unfortunately

Amethyst's picture

they don't have the means to mass produce these guns and even these special bullets take a lot of the enchanters power to make so they will have to use the special rounds sparingly. They also don't want to make these new weapons public knowledge. They certainly don't want to be facing an army armed with these bad boys. But even just two or three of these guns used right could help Azure to even the odds in a war. We'll get into how the explosion worked and what other special rounds there are next chapter.

And yes the feedback could be dangerous if overdone, which was why Alex was worried about it in the first place.

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Guns / feedback loops

It's a nice touch that you made the guns difficult to craft, and the special rounds even more so. Essentially with any form of weapon that could potentially be a game braeker, by making it incredibly rare or incredibly difficult to craft, you can ensure that it should only get used sparingly and strategicially. The regular weapons and troops will still be responsible for 99% of battlefield action.

Meanwhile, the projective / receptive empath positive feedback loop :D

Learning control's useful - not only for positive emotions but also negative ones. Imagine if Alex hadn't got her emotions in check and it was possible for her and Jezz' respective species to get PMS... Ouch.

Still, even that kind of reaction could have its uses: if Alex and Jezz were ever ambushed, hold each other tight, then turn fear projection up to 11. With any luck, the attackers would flee in panic.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

You pretty much

Amethyst's picture

covered all my thoughts on both of those topics. I don't want this to turn into something akin to world war one as I would like to have this remain a fantasy world, but it made sense logically for Alex to reinvent the gun. Knowing what she knows and how hard they and ammunition are to bespell, especially with the modifications she asked for it also makes sense logically to heavily restrict their use and the knowledge of them to those she trusts absolutely. Alex has a bit of a paranoid streak about her influence in this world as will be shown when one of the modifications she requested comes to light.

I liked the idea of the feedback loop and I'm glad that I came up with it. it really shows just how useful her abilities could be. Fear can cause enemies to flee or at least quaver and cause animals to stampede. There are uses for even her small Gifts is she decides to employ them in that way

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Emotional Feedback Loop

terrynaut's picture

This chapter sent me for a loop. What fun!

I loved how Chrissy was affected by the kiss.

The guns disturbed me a bit but they seem necessary to fight the large forces that threatened to invade.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

I was unsure

Amethyst's picture

about bringing guns into this world but given what they face and that Alex, Michelle, Jezz and Grayle have no offensive abilities it was a logical progression on Alex's part to come up with a way that they could fight back. Alex was initially from earth and she still thinks in terms of earth when it comes to things like war. She herself was reluctant to bring anything like that to the Greylands and she would be extremely careful about anyone else knowing about these weapons and their use since she really doesn't want to cause wars like those on earth, people running rampant with magic is bad enough.

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Wondering if her dreams and

her and her sister's transfer to the planet was done by the gods for some purposee yet to be seen?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Simple cannon should be possible too then

The shape would be easy to make and a howitzer-like bombardment setup would make a good area bombardment weapon. Chemistry is there so there is no reason to not ask to research into traditional gunpowder also, removing the need for all things spell based. As noisy as cannon are, cannon sounds can have a psychological effect. Shield spells have not been spoken about much yet either. Shrapnel rounds would be useful against personnel.

Oh, and as much as she would like to avoid mass introduction of firearms it is unlikely the secret of this weapon will be kept very long.

Kim

special rounds

Amethyst's picture

Some of the special the rounds Galan created may eliminate the need for that kind of weapon. And silent, easy to hide weapons increases their chance of being kept hidden. Even the sniper rifle will be able to be cloaked by Michelle's abilities when she's older. Having people research gunpowder is just asking for trouble since we've seen on earth the destruction that leads to. To figure out how to recreate such a weapon the enemies would need either the designs or a working model in their hands. The fewer working models that are out there the less likely that is and Alex has taken precautions which we learn more about next chapter.

Also having an enchanter made weapon is really not much different than having a thaumaturge use a spell for the same effect. So long as they don't flaunt the weapons the enemies likely wouldn't know the difference from an actual spell and spelled ammunition since they would still sense it as magic. Enchanters and Thaumaturges are really only limited by their power levels and imagination.

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

I can see how...

Creating something like a complex, semi-automatic rifle or handgun could strain the abilities of a smith used to making traditional weapons of war like swords, daggers and arrowheads. That being said, having them operate in the same way as a compressed-air flechette gun was a stroke of brilliance. This could prove very useful for someone able to hide and take out a target without being seen, or heard for that matter. That being said, however, getting the projectials to achive the same velocities as they would from a standard (read: actual) rifle would be quite dificult for someone just enchanting it with wind magics, I would imagine. The wind magic also serves as a nice work-around as the smokeless powder used in today's guns is a very complex mixture of many different compounds. But that's enough tech-talk from me for a while. :P

Once again, well written and wonderful chapter. The threat of invasion, though still apparently quite far off, is a dire omen indeed. While the royal enchanter and the royal smithy might not be able to make many of them soon, I'd hope that they'd be able to make no small number of them over a few years... Say, around a few hundred or so. A semi-automatic gun in well trained hands becomes something called a "force mulitplier" against enemies armed with swords, spears and shields. Although... I wonder if the Emppire's spies are going to end up stealing that design...

Peace be with you and Blessed be

Louis and Clark

Have your ever heard of the Louis and Clark air rifle, said to fire 22 shots before loosing pressure using a 46 caliber ball that could kill a deer.

Can't say that I have...

Bit it sounds useful, aside from shooting lead balls. Those things are horridly inaccurate.

Peace be with you and Blessed be

A huge effort

Amethyst's picture

is required by both the smith and the enchanter to make each gun. They are both really pushing the limits of their Gifts. The trigger enchantment for each gun alone is incredible to get a powerful enough burst of wind to propel the bullets at the velocity of a normal rifle. Then there's the fact that its a permanent repetitive use enchantment which take way more power to create than a single use enchantment. Then you've got another permanent repetitive enchantment on the barrels to activate the special rounds. Then there's the other mysterious modification Alex asked for which makes a third enchantment on the guns. This is only single use but an incredibly powerful one. Then there was the permanent enchantments to make them lighter, and in the case of the rifle yet another permanent enchantment for the scope.

Essentially it's not something that they're going to be able to arm entire units with, especially if they want to have those special rounds available, but even if they only put one in the hands of each of the 3 Radiants they have, the possibilities for tactical uses would be amazing.

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

And what about Ballistas?

They could use balistas to shoot some of those arships down, while they work or real artillery, especially if they had incediary ammunition - that could make some nice fireworks when it hits, in particular if they used hydrogenium as floating medium.
On other side, I hope that Alex and Jezz will be really enjoying themselves and don´t end up like Rachel Mariana Morgan with Ivy Tamwood (look for Hollows by Kim Harrison) and when we are with Rachel and Ivy, let hope our pair doesn´t turn up so jinxy as them and certain characters here on big closet like let me think... Whisper comes to mind, then someone called Deidre, Dahlia or was it Garia? Perhaps it was Seren and Matilda the Munchkin? Lets call them trouble magnet honeys. XD

Tactics

Amethyst's picture

They probably have what they need to take down those ships if they use proper tactics, find weak spots and exploit them. Remember that while Grayle and Michelle may not have offensive abilities The smaller flying Drakans could essentially serve as fighter jets since they do have offensive abilities. Storm Drakans can fire lightning, Flame Drakans breathe fire, Water Drakans fire high pressure water blasts and Frost Drakans freeze things, making them very brittle. They are also quicker and more maneuverable than the larger Drakans and outnumber them by a lot. Imagine a hundred or more of these guys doing strafing runs and the like.

For things like the airships, they would likely be the work of an enchanter. Science takes a back seat to magic in this world so magic would likely be whats keeping them afloat, not helium, hydrogen or the like.

Regardless they have time to prepare and Alex and Michelle can also use that time to enjoy exploring their new world a bit, hopefully without too much bad luck. ;)

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Well I think it's ......

All been covered in the other comments offered here so I simply say thank you Amethyst for this wonderful story and ask humbly-more please? (Hugs) Taarpa

Ask and ye shall receive :)

Amethyst's picture

I'm posting chapter 7 now :)

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Ummm ...unfortunately ...

TheCropredyKid's picture

... the guns would NOT be silent - the "bang" is the sound of the gasses that drive the bullet breaking the sound barrier as they come out of the muzzle.

Also, recoil, unfortunately, is not really due to the gun using an explosive propellant, it's due to Newton's Third Law "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction."

The same total energy that is imparted to the projectile is imparted in the opposite direction to the gun [again, no matter what the propulsion method}. Since the gun has a lot more mass than the bullet, it moves a lot slower, but it still moves.

Hmmm. A .45 ACP bullet has a mass of about 15 grams. It travels at the relatively slow velocity of about 250 meters/second. The gun has a mass of about 1100 grams.

If you hung the gun from wires, so that it was free to move, and fired it somehow without touching it, the gun would kick backward at about 3-1/2 meters/second {about 11 feet/second} - and it would reach that velocity in the time it took the bullet to travel the length of the barrel. I promise that that's a pretty good kick - and it would be the same whether you were firing it with explosives or not.

{Well - not exactly the same the propellant gasses add some to the total energy going forward and thus to the recoil...}

However, i have shot fairly powerful air guns {in the same range as a .22 short round in a conventional rifle}, and i can you assure they go "BANG!" {not as loudly as a firearm, but still a definite report} and there is some minor recoil.

Shooting something like the round you describe? A lot more noise and a LOT more recoil.

 
 
 
x