The Jogger in the Mirror

Printer-friendly version

The Jogger in the Mirror

JoggerInMirror_3.jpg

By Karin Beyaert


It was a very beautiful day when John went jogging and got his new full dress mirror completely for free. But even so, he remembers the day with mixed feelings whenever he looks at the mirror and even more when he looks in it.

separator_01.png


Since John had noticed he was becoming a middle aged man and getting slightly overweight he had taken up the daily habit of going out jogging twice a week. So far he had not lost an ounce. But at least his conscience kept quiet and he felt happy.

Of course he went the more or less three kilometers from his house to the surrounding forests and fields outside his village by car. But once there he seriously jogged. No really, he did! And he even manged not to get an extra beer out of the fridge when he got back home tired and thirsty. Mostly.

It was a beautiful day and he was making his usual round of about five kilometers. He had been doing it for several weeks now and his condition had clearly improved. He could enjoy the landscape, breath the fresh morning air and hear the birds sing. He regretted he had not started this new activity much earlier.

As he jogged through the forest he suddenly heard a strange noise. At first he thought it was a bird. But the sound was to high for that, and somehow did not sound birdy at all.
He stopped. What was this? It came from the forest. And it sounded like a voice. But it did not sound human. It was too high, sounded somehow unreal. It reminded him of an adult who tries to mimic a child's voice. But it was a voice and is was calling for help.

Carefully he got off the road into the forest. There were lots of nettles and John was wearing shorts, so you can imagine.

The voice seemed to come from under some tree that had fallen over.

- Hello..? Is somebody there..?

- Yes, of course there is! Help me out will you?

John tried to lift and move the tree. With a little effort he managed. It was just a not too big pine and not a full grown oak tree.

A moment later he was looking at an elf. A real one! Not that he had ever seen one, but even so he was quite sure about it. It looked exactly like the description you will find on Google and the videos on YouTube.

Strangely enough he was not really surprised. He had seen many strange creatures, especially years ago when he was a student and frequented the wrong people who provided him with the right stuff. Carefully prepared by these simulations in his younger years he was now fully ready for a real encounter of the third kind.

- You are an elf! A real one!

The elf looked annoyed.

- You know, it is just to avoid this kind of stupid remarks we normally prefer not to draw any attention to us. How would you feel if every time you met an elf he or she would greet you with: Oh, he, you are a human. A real human! So please, cut it out, will you!

- Ok, ok, I did not want to annoy you.

- Well, it is all right, let's just forget about this. Thanks for liberating me.

- You are welcome. How did you manage to get there in the first place if I may ask?

- We were dancing here yesterday evening and then this half rotten dead tree fell over and I got stuck. My elf friends were unable to move it, so I guess I was lucky you passed by and helped me.

- Don't mention it. I am always glad to help. I did not know elves dance here in the evening.

- We do. Just like you go to a dancing, we dance here. But, I have already lost a lot of time lying under that tree. Perhaps we can do the small talk some other time and talk business right away?

- Business?

- Yes, you helped me escape. You did your good deed for the day and are entitled to three wishes.

- Oh, come on! This is not true is it? Just tell me where the candid camera is, will you?

- It is quite true, after all it is a fairy tale you are in.

- Well, I never gave this a thought. I have no idea what to wish...

The elf sighed.

Another one who has made no preparations at all, the elf thought to itself. They read these stories, they know it happens all the time, but nobody ever cares to carefully formulate and write down his three wishes to have them ready when needed.
I take any bet things will again go awry before you know it... Shall I help this friendly guy, or just let him try? I can see it from his face, it is a difficult task, he does not know what to ask.

These things the elf was pondering over while John was racking his poor brain what to ask. Money, fame, power, a cat perhaps...?

- You can just do anything, or are there certain limits?

- As long as you don't want to become e.g. God or have a sneaky way to eventually get more than three wishes pretty much everything is possible.

A great idea came to John's mind. He had always felt he would have liked much more to be a woman than a man. And had he had a little bit more guts he would long since have gone into some shop to buy some female clothes and a wig to become at least a cross dresser. But he never dared and thus robed himself from all the fun.
But with three wishes everything seemed to be possible.

- Could you turn me into a woman?

- Sure I can.

- Then please do so!

There was a flash, there was some smoke. And a moment later John found himself to be a female.

He touched his new body (or was it the same but only altered?). It felt very real, all seemed to be there and some parts seemed to have vanished. John was thrilled. This was simply too good to be true.

- Whow!! I really want to see how I look now!!

Another flash, more smoke and next to the small sand road where they were standing a full dress mirror had appeared.

John watched himself and discovered he was actually a quite attractive woman now. He should only have asked to be a 25 year old beautiful women he now realized. Should he ask that perhaps now? Realizing a moment later he had wasted one wish to only get a mirror. Even though it was a pretty one. There was only one wish left!

- Well lady, one more wish to go. What shall it be?

Joanna was deeply annoyed about her own stupidity. And at the same time admiring her looks in the mirror. And while she was busy like that she said half aloud, half to herself.

- Damned, what a stupid cow I am. I wished I could have my useless wish undone!

As a good understander only needs a half word, this was enough for the elf to promptly fulfill her wish. A flash, some smoke and John was looking at himself again in the looking glass and the elf was gone.

The full dress mirror turned out to be useful indeed for many years to come.
And every time when John uses it, in his imagination he still sees the beautiful women he had been once, for a moment, and deeply regrets he had not prepared his wishes in writing. He now has, just in case.
He often went to the place again, but never again met an elf, not in the morning not in the evening.

Still not daring to make any moves of his own. Dreaming his life, not living his dreams.

*********************************************************************************************************

I hope you liked it. I know, the theme is old, but I hope I have been able to present it in a funny and philosophical way at the same time so it was enjoyable after all.
As always, feel free to comment, feel free to contact me if you want.
And of course, feel free to award a kudo.

Karin Beyaert

up
123 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

:)

I liked it, Karin!

Good to see you writing.

JennySugarLogo.png

Work

Well, I cannot just lean back and let all the others do the work, can I?
Glad you liked it. Thanks.

Karin

Still not daring to make any moves ...

Andrea Lena's picture

Dreaming life, not living dreams. Sigh. What are we really left with but trying as much as we can to live our dreams. It's not the brightest, cheeriest message, but it's exactly what I need to remember, and that's a very good thing indeed. Thank you!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Back to reality

A interesting twist on an old story. He did gain a mirror from it.

DJ

That is the positive view. He

That is the positive view.
He gained a mirror. But also lost his dream come true. And what do you think? Will he ever change his inability to change?
I wonder how frustration it must be for elfs to witness these things every day.

We all have our dreams

We all have our dreams. But we must deal with reality. This often requires making difficult choices. Reality steps in and forces our hand. Our success in life, is the pursuit of life having made our choice.

I can read the end of this story two ways. John can accept that his dream is unattainable and continue to live as before. Or he can realize perfection is not possible, and pursue his dream to the greatest extent the real world allows.

The stories on this site address this conundrum in various ways. For me, while I am reading, they allow a brief time someplace in the middle. Then back to the real world. Others undoubtedly have different reactions.

But all of us need to thank the authors for their work.

DJ

Here is to all the great authors on this site

Yes, there are many great writers here. The quality of some works often astonishes me. And I am greatful to all of them for writing and sharing. And Iove to dream away on their imagination as well whenever I can...

The story has many possible interpretations. What unfortunately also confused several people.

There are the two options you mentioned. But there is at least a third. John's life will never again become as it was, and therefore he will not be able to continue his life as before. He does not realize perfection is eventually impossible and does not go for his own best real world solution. No, he keeps on hoping this most unlikely event will happen again. He becomes blind for any other option, a prisoner of his own... how shall I call it...? Perhaps you just fill in the word that fits best yourself...
But even so, all that is needed for a solution is at hand... He might see the light at the end of the tunnel. And the elf might even come back one day, who is to say?
If I made you think my little story did what it was intended to do. Even more so if you enjoyed the reading and the thinking about it.
Thanks for your comment.

Be Careful....

what you wish for... Good, imaginative story Karin.
I enjoyed it and it is good to see you writing again.

Joani

Thanks Joani. Do not despair,

Thanks Joani.
Do not despair, there is more to come. But I am quite slow at writing unfortunately,

Poor guy! John should have

quit while she was ahead. LOL! :)

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Don't know if the ladies

Don't know if the ladies really do a better job than the man. After all John only wasted one wish. It was Joanna who really messed things up.

Yes Karin....

It's an old theme, but it's still interesting how people react to it. At least the Elf only changed him back to what he once was, I thought he might whined up an old cow looking into the mirror! LOL! (Hugs) Taarpa

I did at first write

I did at first write something much worse. But then I may have my dark side but I am not that mean..;-)It is better like this I think. You may now wonder if things went wrong for John, or perhaps not?

The Jogger in the Mirror

Just what kind of luck I would have, I would say too much and end up with a mirror that would show what I almost had!

Richard

We all forge our own luck

We all forge our own luck Richard, at least to some degree. And very often we mess up. Then we loose our dreams, we loose good friends and we live and regret. But often do nothing to repair it. And in most cases we don't even get a nice mirror in it for free....

All our dreams can come true

Good job Karin, It's nice how you see life, all our dreams can come true, may be ephemeral, or for life, the important thing is how you take it and enjoy it regardless how brief the moment can be.
Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Hugs !!!

Perhaps I over use the term but this was bittersweet

She gets a taste of her dreams then has them snatched away and is no better off than before. Worse in a way as he knows she had it and screwed it up.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

On way to see it

Yes, that is one way to look at it. I think the sad thing is not that he lost his dream, the sad thing is that he did not learn the real lesson. He could forge his own dream. He knows what he wants, he could do so. But he keeps hoping for some miracle outside him. He seems bound by conventions, like most of us. Including myself in many cases as well.... Perhaps it is a lesson we should all take to hearth? We should all try to live our dreams. I think at least some people on this site at least try. That makes me happy :-) And I want at least to try to do so as well.

Karin welcome back

Nice to have Karin back writing again. I now were know where you want to go. Here's to hoping for more.

JessieC

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Wow, Beyaert....

Your last comment convinced me. I couldn't tell at all from the story, but after reading the comments so far; I see that i did something similar to your story in my life. I've sat around for a long time regretting how easily I was conned then messed with. What I never did was fix the problem or even partially fix it. I guess I'm just a little more cracked upstairs than I suspected.

I have no idea why I completely missed the right thing to do. I guess I go thru my life wearing blinders. I wonder what the hell else I've been missing? I think it is so much that I'm terrified to even think about finding the answer to that. I'll try settling down and then just try to look forward and perceive more.

Seriously, seriously.... thanks for the story and your explanation/commentary.

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Thanks for your comment

Thanks for your comment Renee,

I guess we are all of us more or less like John. It is very human to feel and act like this. So perhaps you are not that cracked upstairs as you feared after all?
And somehow it is funny to see it happen. Or you feel compassion for the one in question. You think how can one be so dumb? (I guess in both cases) And the next moment one is no better oneself. Perhaps even often without noticing...
If it made you think, and even better if it put you on the track of making more out of your life, I am very happy for that.

With a big hug,

Karin

a little sad

but a lot of truth.
thanks

Thanks

Glad you liked it. And seems you got the deeper message :-)
Karin