Our Nutcracker Adventure, Chapter 1

Printer-friendly version

----------=BigCloset Retro Classic!=----------

Collin, now Colleen for certain, is still hiding from the world. While attending ballet for a performance,
others around her begin to see through the cracks in her day to day disguise as Collin.

How much longer can she stay hidden?

ballet_2.jpg
Our Nutcracker
Adventure

Chapter 1

by Torey

Copyright © 2012 Torey
All Rights Reserved.

 
Admin Note: Originally published on BigCloset TopShelf on Monday 12-31-2012 at 02:26:32 am, this retro classic was pulled out of the closet, and re-presented for our newer readers. ~Sephrena
 
Author's Note: This story is the sequel to My Summer with Meg. It was one Wren asked me to write at the end of the last chapter. I dedicate this story to her.

Image Credit: Image frame from the Dutch Documentary film Zonder Spitzen.


 
 
Chapter 1
 
"Are you nervous," Meg asked me as we stepped out of her mom's van.

"A little," I said.

I'd only been taking ballet for a couple of months. This was my first Nutcracker audition.

"You'll do great," Meg said as she handed me my dance bag.

"Hold on you two, I want to get a picture," my Aunt Amy said. "Our family dancers getting ready for Nutcracker auditions!"

Meg put her arm around me. We both flashed piece signs. We kinda sorta matched. We wore cutoff blue jeans over our tights. Meg had on your standard black leotard and pink tights. I had a white leo under black boys tights.

"I've packed water bottles and snacks in both of your bags," Aunt Amy said.

"I can't believe she's doting on us so much," I said to Meg. "Good thing Jack's not here."

"I know, right?," Meg replied. "We'd never here the end of it."

Aunt Amy was an experienced dance mom and studio volunteer. And since Mom got called into work, "you're as much her kid as I am today," Meg said with a laugh.

Aunt Amy was helping with registration.

Those of us auditioning, we were in the huddle masses sitting on the floor in the lobby, stretching and waiting for our classes to be called.

"Jack said I'll either be a party boy or a mouse," I told Meg as I pulled my hair out of my eyes and into a ponytail.

"Like he's an expert," Meg said. "Zach and Josh, I'm sure. And Mom will bribe Jack to be Fritz again. But you're in Ballet III, I'm pretty sure they will give you a dancing part."

They needed boys in the production, so brothers like Jack were drafted to be party boys and mice. Jack played the brat part pretty well, so he pretty much had a standing role to be Fritz as long as Aunt Amy bought him a video game. It was a role he first played a couple of years ago when Meg was Clara.

Zach and Josh danced like me. When I signed up for classes, I was in the same class with them, Ballet II, which is pretty much grouped more by age than ability. Their moms were pissed when Miss Jana, who taught both Ballet II and III, promoted me to Ballet III. They both had been dancing for a couple of years.

I'm still a little overwhelmed being in Ballet III. There were a couple of girls who were new like me who were also promoted to the class. And I'm the only boy in class.

I overheard the girls saying they hoped they were cast as Clara, or one of the dolls.

"We're all going to be toy soldiers if we don't get Clara, even if we're dolls," said Lucy, one of the girls in his group. "But I don't know about Collin. They've never had a boy toy soldier."

"Well I hope I get Chinese, Russian or Arabian in the Second Act," said another one of the girls. "Ballet IIIs always get some of those parts."

Meg was Ballet V and junior company. She is one of the youngest in her group.

"I think it runs in the family," I once heard Aunt Amy telling one of the other mothers after I was promoted. "My sister and I both danced, so they get it from us."

I peeked in on my former group, the Ballet IIs. They were struggling with a waltz and a couple of marches.

"Ballet III's, time for measurements," Madame Kathryn said.

"Good luck sis," Meg whispered.

I gave her a hug and walked over to the table where Aunt Amy was waiting.

She volunteered to do my measuring. She assigned me a number, 22.

"OK 22, let me get a picture," she said. She told me she was going to email it to Mom.

As soon as they were done measuring us, they marched us into the classroom.

Miss Jana would be teaching the class. Madame Kathryn and a couple of other teachers sat at a table.

It felt like American Idol.

"Collin, ponytails are unacceptable during Nutcracker rehearsals for Ballet III and up," Madame Kathryn said. "You either get your hair cut or I'll have Miss Jana teach you how to put it in a bun. Understood?"

My classmates giggled. I had no idea whether she was serious about the bun, or not.

She then scolded the girls for giggling. I think we all knew this was serious business.

We did barre like a normal class, but it was cut short.

Miss Jana then demonstrated several combinations. Some were pretty difficult. I felt a little wobbly at times.

Some of the steps were ballet. Some weren't. We did marches. We acted like dolls, or at least it seemed more like robots.

They then gave us toy guns to march around with, which was different.

I looked and saw Meg and a few older girls looking in on us.

It was fun. I seemed to forget we had a table of judges watching us.

We did our reverence. The girls curtsied. I bowed.

"Line them up, shortest to tallest," Madame Kathryn said. "Including Collin."

We were lined up. I was right dab in the middle.

"I will post a class list next week," Madame Kathryn said. "I wish everyone would get the part they want. Please know that won't happen. But remember, every part is important. You must be dedicated to your roles and be here for all rehearsals unless you have a good excuse."

"Yes Miss Kathryn," we all said almost at the same time.

Meg greeted me at the door.

"Oh my God, Collin, you really did great," she said.

"Yes he did, I'm proud of him," Miss Jana said. "You've really come a long way in a short time."

We were surprised she overheard.

Although our group was dismissed, those of us waiting on sisters were invited to stick around and watch the Ballet IVs, Vs and Vis, junior company and company audition.

I sat on a bench and watched the older girls dance. They were amazing.

I received a text and a photo from my BFF Mauve while I waited for Meg to dance.

It was a photo of Mauve in ballet gear. My friend the tomboy joined her sister Lindsey in taking dance this year.

"Can't believe you're taking ballet," I texted.

"I know, girlfriend, maybe we'll both be girlie girls by summer," she replied.

I tried not to giggle.

Suddenly, it was Meg's turn to dance. She was so beautiful.

I wanted to be so much like her.

Just before they finished, I noticed she had slipped a note in my dance bag.

"Don't let the teasing from Jack get to you. I think he's jealous of the bond we have, which he'll never understand. You will do great little sis! Love Meg."
 
 
ballet_2.jpg


 
 
To Be Continued...
 

up
267 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Great sequel, can't wait to

Great sequel, can't wait to see if my suspicions on Colin's part comes through.

You can get a hint if you

You can get a hint if you read through to the end of My Summer With Meg. :) I'm looking forward to finding out the details, though.

I reread it later and yes I

I reread it later and yes I caught the hint. I loved the summer with Meg series as well as the Switching fields stories.

Chapter One

Will wait expectantly for Chapter 2 and onward. Great story.

RAMI

RAMI

Dancing the Nutcracker

Torey gives us a good dance story to enjoy. Looking forward to the story continuing :) .

Hugs, JessieC

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Watched several on YouTube

Patricia Marie Allen's picture

I can't wait to see which version Collin dances in.

Hugs
Patricia

Happiness is being all dressed up and HAVING some place to go.
Semper in femineo gerunt

Collin, now Colleen will be

having fun it seems at ballet.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Really enjoying this story.

Really enjoying this story. Seems that Mauve already has the right idea regarding Colin/Colleen.