Christmas Lights

Printer-friendly version
lights06.gif

 

Christmas Lights

My seasonal offering for this year. Suitably a little corny.

Merry Christmas, one and all!

~o~O~o~

I don't know why it can be so difficult to accept change. Neither do I understand why such a perfect relationship had to end over such a trivial thing as someone's appearance. But it did.

And so I found myself wondering the streets on a cold Christmas Eve night, alone and hopeless.
I don't know why I followed the lights, it just seemed like it was all I could do. It was as if they were lighting my way to pastures new.

I followed them all the way to where the city met the sea; a beautiful array of colors and characters illuminated and repeated across happy homes all over. And all I could do was look at them from the outside.

And then... call it a scientific anomaly, an exaggeration, a lie... but... there at the end of the lighten path, burning in the sky was a star. Corny? Perhaps. But beautiful none-the-less. A Christmas star some may have called it. To me though, it was a destination.

I followed that star to the ends of the city and back, never without sight, thanks to the continuing shine of the Christmas lights.

However, I soon became close to no longer being a believer and instead was on the verge of becoming a fool. Following a star on Christmas Eve... what good ever came from that?
But my wallowing was stopped when I diverted my attention away from the light and towards a darkened flat. The only part of the neighborhood under covers.

I looked up to the window and there she stood. Undeniably beautiful. In-fact, I was blinded so much by her beauty that she made the rest of the street seem like nothingness. She was all that mattered, she was... she is...


“So this is you.” I gasped.

“Yes... the real me.” She replied timidly.

I pulled her closer, so close that we almost became one. “And this is us.” I stated. “I could offer you a million words of apology, but that would never make up for what I have done. All that would even come close to doing so would be to give you my all — forever.”

A weak smile emerged upon her weary face, and soon it became a grin — the most dazzling grin you could possibly imagine.
“I was just about to put my Christmas lights up,” she whispered upon our embrace. “Would you like to help?”

“I would love to, but only under one condition...”

She sighed, “What?”

“That they become OUR Christmas Lights.”

up
101 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A nice story, but

what happened? Who was who?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

And here are the Christmas lights

I enjoyed this short story Alesha ^^ It had a certain quality of loneliness and lost love that grabbed at me.
Then, out of the blue, a picture happened! It is not the perfect match for the story because of the sexes,
but it had the mood. I just had to display it here for you :)


 

“So this is you.” I gasped.

“Yes... the real me.” She replied timidly.

I pulled her closer, so close that we almost became one.

“And this is us.” I stated.

“I could offer you a million words of apology, but that would never make up for what I have done. All that would even come close to doing so would be to give you my all – forever.”

A weak smile emerged upon her weary face, and soon it became a grin – the most dazzling grin you could possibly imagine.

“I was just about to put my Christmas lights up,” she whispered upon our embrace. “Would you like to help?”

“I would love to, but only under one condition...”

She sighed, “What?”

“That they become OUR Christmas Lights.”
 
 
Image Credit: Christmas Togetherness

 


 

Sephrena