Leigh Anne - Chapter 10

Printer-friendly version

Leigh Anne - Chapter 10
by Barbara Lynn Terry

As Leigh Sat in her first period class, she thought hard about the upcoming match. What made Leigh a good student is, she was able to multitask. She could be thinking like she was, about the upcoming match against Gaynor, and still be able to listen to the teacher, and get her class work done. The sign of a well rounded girl whether young or older, is that she has her feet firmly planted on planet Earth, and can multitask.

Leigh, was, in a nutshell, well rounded. The entire Varsity squad depended on her to carry the team, if the others fell. Leigh was concerned about this, because what would happen if she had an accident? What would happen if she was kept home on a tournament day because the doctor had ordered it? Well, this is something Leigh had a passing thought about, but just as quickly dismissed it. When they go against Gaynor, nobody is going to know that they Hampton Lady Tigers had been practicing all week at the Birn University campus in the next county. Tonight will be the first night the girls will practice on a clay court. Leigh had told her mother about the practice, and she should be back by dinner.

The morning passed quickly for Leigh. The bell for lunch rang. Leigh went to her locker and put her morning books away. After closing and locking her locker, Leigh headed for the cafeteria. WhenLeigh got to the cafeteria, she saw they were having stroganoff, again. This was not one of Leigh's favorite lunches, but she was going to need all the energy she could get. She took a full tray, a milk,and then went to sit by the squad, that had already domineered a whole table. As Leigh sat down, Patty Langston couldn't help but remark on Leigh's tray.

"Girl, you are going to get fat, eating that."

"Not really, Patty. When we practice tonight at the college, I will wear it all off. Besides, I need all the energy I can get."

"That you do, girlfriend. Listen, We should only practice certain plays on the those courts. If we become somewhat decent in their execution, then we can spring them on Gaynor. They won't be expecting us to be able to play well on their courts."

"I see what you're getting at. The clay courts are soft, and the balls don't bounce as well as they do on concrete. If we can practice our lobs and aces, then we will have a better chance of defeating Gaynor."

"Exactly, Leigh," Darlene added. "All we have to do now, is defeat Gaynor, and we are on our way to state. But remember, Leigh, that at the state semi finals and finals, we will be playing different schools from across the state. So we had better be better than the school we are playing against."

"I agree."

Leigh was not a glory seeker, but she has dreamed of being able to play in a competition. When the squad inducted her in to their ranks, that dream became closer to reality. Before becoming a Hampton Lady Tiger, Leigh had never thought about dressing, being, or wanting to be a girl. But all the ciscumstances led to her becoming her mother's daughter. Well, today is only Monday, and she sees the doctor again on Friday.

But, in the meantime, Leigh will be thinking about state and winning the local tournament to go to the state finals. That is the dream of every high school and college athlete. Maybe, she thought, she should have taken up golf, instead. Leigh giggled to herself when she thought that. The bell ending lunch, rang, and everybody put their trays away and left to get their afternoon books. They were still walking to their lockers when the public address system boomed with Mr. Thompson's voice.

"Will the varsity Lady Tigers tennis squad, please report to the girls gym. The varsity Lady Tigers to the girls gym, please."

The entire squad was abuzz with conversation as they entered the girls gym.

"Ladies, ladies, please settle down," Mrs. Madison, the girls gym coach instructed. "I have been given permission by Mr. Thompson to be able to practice at the college during school hours. This way, we will be on an official school hours field trip. I know that you all brought your tennis clothes and racquets. So, here it is.

"In a bit, we will go out to the bus , and leave for the college. Now, I want to emphasize that playing on a clay court is a lot different than playing on concrete." Leigh raised her hand. "Yes, Leigh."

"Mrs. Madison, we were talking at lunch, and we agreed that we need to practice our lobs and aces if we are going to defeat Gaynor. This way, if we can become a little good at playing on clay, then Gaynor will do like that did when they played here. They will underestimate us, and that will be to our advantage."

"Leigh, did I ever tell you that you are a samrt girl? You are right, that is what I was going to tell you. So, if we are ready, and we know what tactics we need to practice on, let's go."

They all went out of the school, in to a nice warm school bus. Since it was only the squad, the driver and Mrs. Madsion, nobody sat on the "hump". This made for a smooth ride to the college campus. The bus pulled up to the gate, leading in to the courts. Mrs. Madison, went in the office to tell them they were there. She was told that the coach would be right out. Mrs. Madison went back by the girls.

Mrs. Madison gave the girls the lineup, and they started practicing. Leigh against Darlene were first.

"Ladies, be careful of the uneven spots in the court. If the ball lands in one of them, your play could be dead before you even have a chance to return the ball to your opponent. All right, then, Darlene, you serve first."

Darlene hit the ball at an angle, and Leigh, even though she was fast, could not return the ball. Leigh thought, too, that Gaynor has had practice on these kinds of courts, so Leigh decided she needed to be just a tad quicker.

"That was a good effort, Leigh, but be just a little quicker, if you can."

With 15-Love, Darlene served again. This time, Leigh was ready, but the volley didn't last beyond a few returns apiece. The score was tied at 15. Darlene, eager to show Leigh the ups and downs of playing on a clay court, served an ace. it was now 30-15." Mrs. Madison told each girl, that was what they needed to be prepared for. Darlene had served the perfect ace, hitting just inside the serve line, before it bounced away. Darlene served again, this time, she served directly to Leigh, and the volley lasted a few minutes, but in the end, it was Darlene's point. Now, with the score at 40-15, Darlene served her triple advantage shot.

The ball was returned and Leigh on the third return from Darlene, missed it making the score 41-15.

"Good effort, ladies, ..." Mrs. Madison was interrupted by Gloria Edmonton, the women's varsity basketball coach.

"Good afternoon, ladies, I'm Miss Gloria Edmonton, I teach gymnastics and I am the women's basketball coach. I was watching this game, and you ladies play beautifully. I think a week's practice here, will get you in shape for the coming weekend. I want you all to know a little secret. I went to Hampton High. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TIGERS!!!! So, you have my support. When I heard about your request to practice here, I told the Dean that I would be delighted to supervise the Hampton Lady Tigers. By the way, I hear that you're playing Gaynor on Saturday. I will be there cheering you all on to victory." Miss Edmonton giggled, then said; "I should bring the cheer squad with me. Gaynor would be so distracted, you ladies would win hands down. But we can't have any noise on the courts while the players are playing. But, it was a thought." Everybody giggled.

"It would serve them right, for what they did to Leigh," Cheryl Master said, with annoyance.

"Yes, I heard about that. Which one is Leigh?" Leigh raised her hand. "Leigh, I hear you are very good on concrete. Let's see how good you are on clay by the time Saturday gets here. Remember what Mrs. Madison said. Be careful of the uneven spots on the courts. After a week of practicing here, you will all be ready to defeat the Lady Cougars. So, whose next?"

Mrs. Madison called Dorothy Winston and Mary Whithers out to the court.

"You both saw how Leigh and Darlene played. I want you two to be able to improve on that. Lobs and aces, ladies. It is the only way we can defeat Gaynor. Mary, you serve first."

The two girls took their side of the court, and Mary stood at the serve line, ready to serve. She served the ball to Dot, and Dot sent it back to her with a spin. The ball landed just inside the net, and bounced back once, hitting the bottom of the net on Mary's side. It was Love-15. This was the kind of return that Dorothy Winston was going to practice on, because their coming opponent would not expect her to be good at it. Mary served again for an ace, making the score 15-15.

What these girls needed to really practice on, were inside aces. That is a serve that lands the ball a little over the net on the opponent's side. Most of these aces cannot be returned, because the opponent was not ready for them, or was too far away from the play, that the opponent could not return it. Before Mary served again, Dorothy moved up to the net.

Mary served attempring an inside ace, but Dorothy returned it. The volley lasted only for a few minutes, before the ball dropped dead on Mary's side of the court. It was 15-30. At this point, Mrs. Madison spoke to the players.

"Girls, this is precisely what you have to be ready for. On clay, the ball may suddenly hit your side of the court and not even bounce, or may bounce low. Try to anticipate this, and be ready to return the ball, even if you have to move like the wind to make the return. Mary, you are doing good, but your serve technique needs a slight improvement."

"May I show her what you are talking about," Gloria Edmonton volunteered.

"Yes, Gloria, by all means."

Gloria took Mary's racquet and tossed the ball as if she were going to serve it. Mrs. Madison took another racquet and Gloria and her played a few volleys to show the girls just how the ball should be played on a clay court. Gloria gave Mary her racquet back, and Mrs. Madison and Mary played a few volleys, until Mary understood what her coach had said.

"All right, Mary, it is your serve."

The score was 15-30 and Mary served the ball again. The ball hit Mary's side of the net.

"Fault."

Mary served her second serve and this time Dorothy returned it a few times before it landed at Mary's right foot. The score was now 15-40. Mary served again, and this time it was an ace for 30-40. Then on a player error, Mary served the ball, and Dorothy hit it past Mary, but just inside the line. Dorothy won the game.

"All right, Leigh and Darlene. Darlene, take the court facing away from the sun. Leigh take the court facing the sun. Leigh it is your serve."

Leigh served the ball, and prepared for the volley, but the ball hit a "dent" in the clay and bounced low, making the score 15-Love. With leigh's next serve, they volleyed back and forth for about eight minutes. Leigh hit the ball out, and it was 15-15.

"Leigh, try to hit the ball away from the 'dents'. This way, the volley lasts longer, and you have a better chance at getting the next point."

"Thank you, Mrs. Madison."

This was the week that the Hampton Lady Tigers needed so they would be able to play on the Gaynor Lady Cougars clay courts. Leigh was a little rusty on these courts, but after this week, she should be as good as any Gaynor player. This wasn't a competition to see who was better than the other, or to lord itover the other team, but, it was a competition for the best school to be able to go to the state tournament in Lansing and maybe, just maybe, go to the nationals which was being held at Jacksonville, Florida.

Leigh served the ball, and Darlene wasn't fast enough, making the score 30-15. With Leigh's next serve, Darlene returned it for a point, making the score 30-30. On Leigh's next serve, she hit the ball just inside the right corner and the score was now 40-30. Leigh's next serve was an ace and Leigh won the game.

"Leigh, you did better, but remember, you must try to hit the ball away from the 'dents' in the clay. No clay court is perfect, no matter how much they try and smooth it out. The history of tennis is a disuptable subject with some saying it was first played as a handball game either aganst a wall, or over a rope. Some say it was first played by French monks who played jeu de paume, meaning game of the hand, and that the word tennis derives from the French tenez meaning 'take this' which the serving player would say to the other. Whoever started playing the game in its earliest forms, we know that the game we call tennis is played between two or four people, on a concrete, clay or grass surface, and that there is money to be made if you play professional tennis. Today, we know the game to be how we play it now.

"Ladies, you all did fine. Today, and tomorrow, Gloria said we can have the court for as long as we want it. Gloria, thank you for letting us practice here."

"You are more than welcome. Where is your next game?"

"At Gaynor. That is why we need the practice here, because they have clay courts."

"Well, I am a Lady Tiger, still, so I will be there to cheer on my alma mater. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TIGERS!"

As they all got on the bus, Gloria gave each of the girls a big hug and said she would see them tomorrow. She told the girls that she was the college supervising instructor for the time that the Hampton Lady Tigers would be practicing on the college courts.

When they got back to the school, Geraldine Smythe was waiting for Leigh.

"Well, how did practice go?"

"We had fun, and I tried a different way to do my lobs and aces, because the ball doesn't bounce on clay, like it does on concrete. But we have the rest of the week to become a little decent in playing on a clay court. The college gymnastics coach also went to Hampton, too, and said she will be there when we play Gaynor to 'cheer her alma mater on'. She is really nice."

"Well, I'm glad you had fun. Want to stop and have a bite. It's kind of late to start dinner. By the way, your father said, that he will be at the college for the rest of the week, so this way he can bring you home, when practice is over."

"That would be nice, mom, But I still have to go back to the school to get my homework assignments and my books I am going to need."

"Well, alright, dear, but just so you know, he will be there. Maybe we will both come, and then we can go out for dinner, instead of making it at home."

"That would be nice, mother."

"Did you do good, though?"

"Well, kinda. Clay is a lot different though, because it isn't completely smoothed out like a concrete court is. Everytime the ball hits the clay, during play, it makes a 'dent' in the clay. Sometimes the ball hits the other side, and may stop dead in the 'dent'. So we have four more days of practice, then we play Gaynor on Saturday. This is going to be the game that decides who goes to state."

"Well, your father and I will be there. We want to cheer you on to victory." Leigh smiled, when her mother said that.

"Thanks, mom." Leigh laid her head on her mother's shoulder, and Geraldine Smythe held her daughter. She knew that Leigh was going to have a very tough week.

"Leigh, Buckle up, and we will go to Zebb's for something to eat. Your father called and said he would meet us there. So, what do you want when we get there?"

How about the twenty one shrimp basket? We can share it, while dad eats his steak dinner."

"Is that all you want? Don't you want a burger plate?"

"No, mom. I need to eat light because I don't need to have a heavy feeling when I am playing. The shrimp will be all right for tonight, because I will have a light lunch at school tomorrow. I will be all right, mom."

"Well, okay, if that's what you want. I just worry about the way you have been eating lately."

"Thanks, mom, I really appreciate that, but I have been cutting down on what I eat. I want to eat as healthy as I can."

Geraldine Smythe smiled to herself. She knew that Leigh would be okay because she was a strong girl.

"It's alright, sweetie. the twenty one shrimp basket it is."

Part II - At Zebb's.

Geraldine Smythe drove in to the parking lot and parked the car. They both got out of the car, and started for the door. As they walked in to the restaurant, Leigh saw her father sitting at one of the tables. Zebb's had tables, booths and a counter with stools. Leigh showed her mother where he was sitting, and they went over by him. Leigh gave her father a hug after her mother did the same.

"Hello, daddy. Did you like the games I played?"

"Yes, I did, punkin. You play as well as some of the professional women tennis players I have seen on television. Have you given any thought to continue playing when you get to college?"

"If I get to college, daddy, I will continue playing. The reason we are having our tournaments this late in the season, is because of the unusually warm temperatures. I mean, there is hardly any snow on the ground, and it is warm enough to wear tennis dresses or skirt outfits."

"I noticed, too, that when you sit down to take a break, you cover your lap with a towel. Why is that?"

"For modesty. Because our outfits are so short, we cover ourselves up to our knees, because that is what a lady does to protect her dignity. There are a lot of perverts in the stands that like looking under our skirts to see if they can see what they're not supposed to see." He laughed, while Leigh and her mom giggled.

"Well, that is a good way to keep your dignity, I must say. But, you play like a professional."

"That is because I have played every weekend at Burnham Park. Every time I play, I try something new. Tennis is not as simple as it looks, daddy. There are a lot of complicated plays that can be done. We just have to practice them."

"You watch tennis on television, and you see that sometimes a player will hit the ball and it will spin, making the other player miss it. There is a way to make the ball spin, by hitting it with your racquet on an angle. Sometimes, the ball will hit the net for a fault and the opponent's score. But, the game is fun, and it is good exercise."

"Yes, it certainly is. I have never seen an overweight tennis player."

Leigh giggled when she said, "I never have either, daddy."

I think tomorrow you, me and your mother, will be there to watch you practice. Then afterwards we can go out to eat."

"Daddy, I still have to go back to the school to pick up my homework assignments and the books I will need. Then we can go out to eat."

"That sounds wonderful, punkin."

"Leigh," her mother cut in. "I was thinking that this weekend we could go shopping. Mine and your father's anniversary is coming up, and I need to get a nice outfit for that day."

"I'd like to tag along, if it is all right with the majority."

"Well, dear," Geraldine Smythe added, "this is our fifteenth wedding anniversary, and it is the same rules as in the wedding. You cannot see the bride, until she is at the altar."

"Altar?"

"Yes, dear, altar. We are going to renew our wedding vows."

"Now that sounds like a plan. Leigh, would you like to give the bride away?"

"I would like that, daddy."

"Have you picked out the place where we are going to do this?"

"Yes, I was thinking St. Peter's on twenty third and Greenfield."

"That's where we got married. So, then where exactly did you plan on having the reception?"

"At the Outback, over by Southridge."

"Did you invite any of our friends?"

"Iinvited everybody I could get a hold of, including your mom and dad, my mom and dad, your brothers and sisters, my brother and sister, and everybody who wanted to attend. Everybody has chipped in for a wonderful day to have a wedding. Leigh, do you know what day your father and I got married?"

"No, mom, I don't think I was there." Her father laughed while Leigh and her mother giggled.

"Well, your father and I were married on St. Patrick's Day and you were born a year later. So, we all need to go and get decent outfits for the occasion. Then everybody is going over to the Outback by Southridge for the reception dinner and party. In fact, we had enough money to reserve the entire restaurant for that day."

"That is a costly renewal."

"Dear, we are going re-celebrate the first of the two best days in our lives. Yes, it was costly, but everybody that I could get a hold of that was there, and several of our new friends, chipped in tomake this day a wonderful and exciting day for us and everyone there. Don't worry, dear, I didn't rob Peter to pay Paul."

"Mom, what was the second best day in your lives?"

"The day you were born," her mother and father said in unison.

Leigh thought that now this was a family. She had heard that sometimes married people renew their vows, sometimes twice in the time they are married. She thought that this was the ultimate commitment of renewal, and she was proud to have these two people as her parents and her two closest, best friends.

They finished their meal, paid the cashier and went out to their cars. Leigh decided to ride home with her father.


Zebb's Family Restaurant is located at 2701 West Morgan Avenue (corner of South 27th Street & West Morgan Avenue), in
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53221. (414) 384-6400.

St. Peter's Evanglical Lutheran Church is located at 2235 W. Greenfield Avenue, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53204. (414)384-3447.

The Outback Steakhouse is located at 7401 West Barnard Avenue, Greenfield, Wisconsin (a suburb of Milwaukee). (414)817-1800

Burnham Park is located at 3300 West Burnham Street, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53215 (The park is 1 block wide and 2 blocks long. The tennis courts are directly across the street from the main park at South 35th and West Burnham Streets).

up
199 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

No overweight tennis players?

You forgot the Williams sisters.

I'm going to have to go back to the start and reread this to refresh myself on everything. Fortunately I'm one of the 47% so I have plenty of time!


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

no matter what...

Andrea Lena's picture

...there'll be one child born to carry on...to carry on...

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Practice

Renee_Heart2's picture

Makes perfect even though they don't have a lot of time to practice on clay courts what time they do have they are making the best of.

I'm glad that her dad has come around to accepting Leigh Anne as his daughter is a GOOD thing. It took him a while but he can see how happy his child is, and she is an amazingly good student as well as tennis player. So I have just one thing to say Goooooooooo Lady Tigers!

Love Samantha Renee Heart

Leigh Anne is

one sweet girl. Gld both of her parents accept and love her.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Surfaces

Jamie Lee's picture

Wonder if a weeks practice will be enough to give Hampton a decent chance against Gaynor? Sometimes it can take a lot of time to get used to something new.

It's neat Leigh's parents want to renew their wedding vows. After her dad saw her for who she is and came home, renewing their vows can be seen as recommitting to being a family.

Others have feelings too.