Somewhere Else Entirely -69-

Printer-friendly version

Garia discovers that she knows very little about the finances of her new world, the men make a mess in the Ptuvil's Claw and Sukhana makes an unexpected proposal. Then, the moment comes for Garia to face the townspeople and tell them what the future holds. Later, there is an earnest discussion about... tarpaulins?

Somewhere Else Entirely

by Penny Lane

69 - The Speech


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2011-2012 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



"What are you looking at, milady?"

"Oh, I'm just making sure the blade is clean, Jenet."

Garia held the thin blade of a sword next to the window to catch the early morning light. After using it yesterday when defeating Sethan she had, of course, cleaned the small slick of blood from the tip but she was just making sure she hadn't missed any in the confusion in the dormitory. It was unlikely, she knew, that the blade would suffer because there was too much nickel in it for it to rust. What she was more concerned about was making sure none had been smeared down the inside of the scabbard where it would be impossible to clean - but might start smelling much later on.

"But you clean them all the time, milady."

"That's true but yesterday I stuck one in a man's leg. I'm just making sure."

"Oh? Did you have an accident?"

Garia turned. "Oh, no, Jenet! It was very deliberate. Don't you remember, we described the fight yesterday up at the camp?"

"As you say, milady. I didn't realize that you actually wounded that fellow though."

"It wasn't that bad but it made him back away the way I wanted him to."

"Shall you wear your blades today, milady?"

"I think so, but like yesterday we'll wait until after breakfast to strap them on. Merry, how are you for time?"

"Nearly ready, Garia. In our colors two days together! I could become used to this."

"Only for so long. We don't have that many outfits in the colors, do we? Today is something special, though. After that we should be able to mix and match a little more."

"What about our riding outfits? Do you think we'll be able to ride much?"

"I'm hoping so. Remember, one of the reasons we convinced the King to let us ride at all is because we can only travel up Blackstone Vale by pack animal."

Jenet said, "Milady, I trust by then I'll be as comfortable riding a beast as you and Milady Merizel are. I have not managed much practice lately."

"Nor have any of us! We've been busy chasing criminals." Garia sighed. "We have to go through a trial yet, Jenet. I'm not looking forward to any of that."

"I'm guessing," Merizel said, "that the way you deal with criminals in Kansas is very different than the way we do in the Valley."

"I have no idea, Merry," Garia answered cheerfully. "I just know it usually involves a lot of arguing, is all."

"Milady," the fourth person in the room reminded them, "we'll have to cross to the Ptuvil's Claw as soon as we may. Once we are there I'm sure there will be many who can advise you on our ways of justice. It will take some time for the townspeople to gather. We are fortunate the day is yet fine and dry."

"You are right, Sookie. Ready, Merry? Then let's go."

There was the usual muted applause when they entered the common room to get breakfast. As they sat down Garia asked Merizel, "What are you going to do today, Merry?"

"I think I'll spend a bell or so in the Steward's Office, Garia. Just before I left yesterday I found a bundle of letters which Trogan seemed to want kept out of sight. Some of them appeared quite fresh, the quick glance I had of them yesterday. Don't worry, I'll be there to join you on the balcony later."

"Ah? That's good. Oh, thank you, Yanda. What everyone needs first thing is a good cup of pel."

"Mistress Yanda," Merizel asked the inn-keeper's wife, "where is His Highness? Have you seen him today?"

"Aye, milady. He broke his fast early and went across the street saying he had exercises to do. That's all I know, milady."

"Exercises? Of course! I'll wager he's with the men in the courtyard doing Tai Chi."

"Another morning missed," Garia said. "Mistress Yanda, we will all shortly be moving to the Ptuvil's Claw and using that as a kind of baronial base. That way we can have everybody together and out of the weather. We'll be able to do that as soon as the townspeople have found us something to sleep on. I'm sorry, this means we won't be here as your guests much longer. I know that you need the income, is there anything we can do?"

Yanda smiled. "Thank you for your concern, milady, but it is not necessary. Last night I had a word with Wagonmaster Jaxen and with Sukhana here about that very thing. It seems that once his company begins a regular service to Tranidor he will make the Bell Inn the stopping point for the caravans. It would become awkward for a commercial business to use the Ptuvil's Claw regularly, especially once you are in residence, and this way the Bell will receive a regular income."

"Why, that's great! I never thought of that. Sookie, you didn't say anything."

"We've all been busy, milady. I would have made sure that you knew eventually."

The four women were joined by the two guildsmen and the group settled down to the serious business of breakfast. When they were finished Jenet strapped Garia's swords to her back and the party went out onto the street. Even at this early hour there were people around, obviously waiting for the appointed time. Most gave a courteous bow as she appeared then stood back to allow them all to pass. Merizel separated to go to the Steward's Office while the rest went toward the carriage entrance of the Claw.

"Milady," Bezan said as they reached the sidewalk, "Would you excuse Master Yarling and myself? We have two bells before your appearance, we wish to walk about the town and gain some familiarity with the arrangements."

"Of course! I guess much of what I'll be doing inside will be of less interest to you than to the rest of us. You'll be back before the fourth bell? I want you on the balcony up there with us, to make you properly known to the locals so that they won't chase you off when you are doing your jobs later on."

"We will endeavor to be back before the appointed bell, milady."

Garia added, "Try not to be late. If the whole town turns up you might find it difficult to make your way through the crowd."

"As you say, milady."

In the courtyard two of Jaxen's men were cleaning a wagon with buckets of water. A wagoneer in Dekarran colors appeared from the rear entry with a huge heap of fodder which he carried into the stables. Near the back, Keren was talking to two of his guardsmen. He noticed them and waved them over.

"Did you come over here early to do Tai Chi?" Garia asked.

"Aye, Garia, and good morning to you, too."

"Highness." She gave him a quick bob. "I'd quite like to do the Tai Chi myself, you know. You might have asked."

"The men have duties now, Garia. I waited for a short while but you did not come to breakfast so I had to leave. When we all reside over here we may arrange matters as we wish, you were not forgotten."

"Oh. I'm sorry, Keren. I'm a little nervous about later. Was there anything to report?"

Keren shook his head. "A quiet night, apparently." He turned to Sukhana. "Sookie, I'm afraid some of the men made a mess with last night's meal. If you wouldn't mind..?"

Sukhana rolled her eyes. "Men! What have they done now?"

"I'm not saying a word." Keren gestured to the kitchen. "If you need help, or guilty bodies for scrubbing duty, let me know."

"What?" Sukhana curtseyed to Keren and Garia and made for the kitchen at speed.

Keren turned to Garia and Jenet. "Best we be elsewhere, ladies. Our mistress of the wagons has a sharp tongue."

In the common room they found most of the men not assigned to duties, some still finishing their breakfasts. Jaxen beckoned the three over. Garia saw that the room was now well supplied with simple benches and tables, most made by pegging planks of wood together without nails. She was surprised when two girls, obviously from the town, appeared as they sat to offer them cups of pel. They all declined, turning to Jaxen for an explanation.

"Highness, Milady, it seems the womenfolk of this town do not consider that men may look after themselves without their help. Begging your pardon, milady. None of them know that we may go weeks on the road without the help of a woman's hand, and without poisoning ourselves, either. We have had helpers pressed upon us to serve the food and to clean, women in the public areas and men where women may not go. I trust this meets with your approval?"

"We-ll, wait a moment," Garia said. "While I quite like the idea of someone else doing the hard work I am supposed to be in charge here. I'd rather I wasn't rushed into anything without the chance to have my say on the matter."

Keren added, "She is right, of course. However, I suggest, Garia, you let the present arrangement stand until you move over, then we can decide what extra help might be needed to run this place. It occurs to me that, after the extortions of Trogan, some of these people might have need of the extra income."

"Hmm. I'm rich by their standards, I guess, but I don't have a great deal of money to just give away."

"Yet," Keren qualified. He added, "Let us wait and see. The townspeople are presently eager to help, it would be wise to let them do so."

"As you say, Keren." She turned to Jaxen. "You and your men settled in okay?"

"Aye, thank you, milady. With the help of the Prince's men we soon had ourselves organized. Ah, milady, we have had requests from several of the townspeople to bring supplies from Tranidor. I trust you have no objection if I were to make the customary arrangements?"

"Sounds good to me, Jaxen. This is just your normal commercial business, I take it? Then carry on, so long as it doesn't interfere with what I've already asked you to do." Jaxen bowed assent. Garia thought, then eyed Jaxen speculatively. "I wonder, do I get some kind of fee out of this?"

Jaxen smiled back. "That depends entirely on you, milady. Some nobles demand a fee, some do not." He thought a moment. "I may trade any fee against my contract as a mail carrier, perhaps. That is how it is often done. Might we discuss this later, milady? When you have had time to consider the financial consequences. I know your morning is already accounted for."

"Uh, yes, Jaxen, that would probably be a good idea. Look, I know very little about financial affairs. At home - before I came to Anmar, that is - I earned a little spending money and I lived at home with my parents. I didn't really manage finances the way someone with a family or a business would. The way you handle money here is very different than we do in Kansas. Up until now the Queen has negotiated all my contracts and fees."

Jaxen nodded. "She is renowned for driving hard but fair bargains, milady. You are fortunate to have her experience as your guide."

"Thank you. But, my point is, I don't know how money really works in this society. Heck, I don't even know what the coins look like! I've seen you pay people but it's just a glint of metal as they pass from one hand to another or a pouch that rattles. I know you have cash buried away in one of the wagons but I don't know how much or what you use it for. Another thing. Do you have banks, money-lenders, anything like that? You can't go round carrying large bags of coins for everything, can you?"

Keren answered. "Mostly we do, Garia. There are money-lenders, otherwise that letter of credit you received from the Queen would be useless. As it is there are no money-lenders here, the nearest will be in Tranidor. I don't know what you mean by a bank."

"Whoa. So, you're saying I'm stuck out here with people wanting money and I have a piece of parchment which is essentially useless? Keren, this is going to cause big trouble unless we find an answer quick. These townspeople are depending on me now." She had an unsettling thought. "Keren, we've come all this way from Dekarran and I haven't paid for a single thing!"

"As it happens, milady, I also have coin hidden in one of our two wagons. Do not trouble yourself over that matter since, as this is a joint enterprise, the Crown is providing our travel expenses. You are right, though, we have to answer this riddle before the townspeople turn on us."

Jaxen said, "It seems there is much we must teach each other, milady. I suggest a meeting this evening where we may discover what each other has to offer."

"Done. Up until now all I've needed to do was to look after myself and maybe Merry - Lady Merizel - and two maids, and most of that time we lived in the palace anyway. Now I find I have men-at-arms and more to house, clothe, feed and pay and possibly a town to run financially. I need to know how it all works, Jaxen."

"As you say, milady. You will find most of what we shall tell you to be readily understandable, if different than your own knowledge."

"That's another point," Keren added. "While Garia needs to find out how the system here works, I'm also confident that what her world does can be of benefit to us." He turned at an interruption. "But here comes Mistress Sukhana, approaching in the manner of a storm."

The expression on Sukhana's face was so angry that Garia almost flinched. Jaxen did flinch. Sukhana stood at the end of their table, clenched fists on hips, glaring.

"I want them all sacked, Jaxen! No, I want them flogged, then driven from the town! How can it be that trained men can destroy so many cooking-pots in one evening? We are ruined."

Her composure momentarily broke, so that her eyes began to glisten. She rallied, her anger too large to be contained.

"They have destroyed almost every pot from the kitchen-wagon, brother. I do not know how or why but there are holes in the bottom of most of them. Only the largest two survive. If they wish feeding in the future they shall be content with bread and cold meats. I would prefer not to feed them at all, to teach them the consequences of their stupidity. What say you?"

Jaxen half-rose and then slumped back in disbelief. Keren looked at Garia, who responded with a single word.

"Coal."

All eyes switched to her.

"What mean you?" Jaxen asked. "Is there some obscure knack to this burning of rocks?"

Garia shrugged. "I don't know. Almost nobody uses coal for cooking these days in Kansas. But I'm guessing that it's the problem here. Let's see, usually you're cooking over a camp fire, with the pots hung from that iron frame, aren't you?"

Jaxen and Sukhana both nodded.

"Well, in that kitchen I saw a big range with ovens to the side. Probably unfamiliar to most of your men? The coal will get hotter than a wood fire would be and I don't think anyone knows how to set it up properly. Easy enough for someone unfamiliar with the setup to miss something."

Sukhana's stiff stance relaxed as she took in Garia's words.

"Milady, you do explain it. But how are we to feed the men? Who shall teach us the art of coal?"

"I'll ask Yanda over lunch, Sookie. I'm sure that she'll be ready to help, especially as she knows we are all unfamiliar with how to use coal."

"As you will, milady." Sukhana stood there, a resolute expression on her face, apparently wondering whether to add something. She evidently decided to plunge ahead because she said, "Milady, I beg your agreement. This house requires a knowledgeable person to ensure that it runs properly and I think I may be that person. With respect, Highness, you and your men - and Milady and her men - will have other demands on your and their time. Milady, permit me to run your house and I shall order all." She turned to Jaxen. "Brother, it seems we must part for a time. Both His Highness and Milady Garia have need of me in Blackstone for some while."

They were all taken aback by the force of Sukhana's offer.

"Let me get this right," Garia said slowly. "You want to set yourself up as my housekeeper, is that it? So, you'll manage the building, the meals, the bedding, stables, servants and everything else?"

"As you say, milady. It is what I know. Ask Jaxen, he can vouch for my past experience. I have spent time on the wagons, it is true, but as much has been spent remedying Master Tanon's inns and bunk-houses. I do not think he will begrudge you my services in the circumstances."

Garia turned. "Jaxen?"

He grinned. "Take her offer, milady, before she regrets the outburst and changes her mind."

Garia turned back to Sukhana. "Then I agree, Sookie. You're hired, or whatever they say around these parts."

Sukhana curtseyed low. "Thank you, milady. I shall begin immediately."

"Ah, one thing, Mistress Sukhana," Keren raised a finger. "We shall agree that the damage caused to your kitchen was caused by ignorance of the proper way to use coal, shall we not? I do not want you to chastize our men for something they could not have known about."

Sukhana curtseyed again. "As you command, Highness. With your permission?"

Sukhana turned and stalked out of the room, her bearing straight.

Jaxen groaned. "Maker, what have we unleashed?"

"Organization and method, I hope," Garia said. "I was wondering how we were going to keep everyone in line and I'm not ever going to be the world's best housekeeper. Everyone knows and trusts Sookie and I'm sure she's just what we need right now. It'll take a lot of the minor organizing off our hands."

"The art of delegation," Keren said with approval. "That's what you have to learn when you become a noble."

"Jaxen," Garia asked suspiciously, "did you know that the men had ruined the pots?"

"Uh, milady, I knew there had been some difficulty but not the extent of it." He reddened. "Milady, last night I was the one in charge of this establishment, it is my fault. There shall be no cost to Blackstone for replacing the pots and whatever else needs doing."

"Um, Garia," Keren said, "Some of those were my men. It seems the blame is shared among us."

Garia glowered. "This is ridiculous! We can't do anything today, there is no time, but first thing tomorrow morning, before we all start our Tai Chi," She wagged a finger, "I want a parade in the yard. We need to find out who did what and I want everyone to know that destroying equipment is not without its consequences. It's not just the cost, it's the fact that we'll have to beg or borrow to cook our meals until we can get replacements, and that won't be until Jaxen gets back! A little more thought, a little more care could have avoided this."

"Aye, Milady," Jaxen agreed meekly.

"As you command, Milady," Keren said with a straight face. Garia glared at him but kept her peace.

Sukhana appeared at the back door to the common room. She pointed a finger.

"You, you, you and you. Yes, you! Come with me."

Two of the men turned to Keren but he shook his head.

"Do as she asks, boys... you haven't considered the alternatives, have you?"

The four trooped out after Sukhana as three men came in the front door. One was Brydas. The three bowed to the table.

"Highness, Milady, may I present Master Jepp our town Scribe and Master Sinidar our Tanner."

"Please be seated, masters," Keren invited them. "How may we help you?"

The three took seats and Garia studied the two men.

"Master Jepp, you were one of those in the cells, right?"

"As you say, milady. I must thank you again, and His Highness, for our freedom."

"Are you beginning to recover? I know that man didn't treat you right."

Jepp gave a small smile. "I am much better, milady, for being properly fed, although it will take maybe a week before I come to full strength. I was more fortunate than the others, I was not imprisoned so long."

"Milady," Brydas explained, "Master Jepp records the meetings of the town assembly and writes for those who cannot write themselves."

"I also assisted our steward Master Mesulkin and Master Polbinar who is the Messenger Agent," Jepp added. "It was my misfortune that I was taken in by Trogan when he appeared. Highness, Milady, I must give you my apology that I did not realize that this man was a rogue for far too long. Perhaps something might have been done sooner."

"It is entirely possible that you had been killed if you had noticed earlier, master," Keren told him. "Do not reproach yourself for this business."

"It will be difficult, Highness. There was no-one to whom we could appeal to discover the rights or wrongs of our circumstance. Master Trogan made sure that none would leave the town, Highness. Eventually, when I became suspicious of Master Trogan's attitude towards us, I encouraged two to leave secretly, to try and gain Tranidor where someone could be petitioned to answer our plight. Since none came I assume they did not arrive there. Some time after that, Trogan accused me of treachery and made me prisoner with the others. Then you arrived, seeming just another caravan, to take the usurper by surprise, and thank the Maker you arrived when you did, Highness."

"Aye. Well, as I related before, our arrival here was pure chance. We met nobody along the way, saw no evidence except that the camp site had been burned down."

"Ah. Is that so? Then perhaps the two who were sent were ambushed there. I did not know the site had been burned, Highness. We have no knowledge that anything had occurred beyond the edge of the forest." He paused. "Highness, this is perhaps best discussed another time. I am here today to tell you that I am knowledgeable in the practice of the criminal law, as I served my journeyman years in the legal office in Teldor. You and Her Ladyship are both young, I do not think you will have much experience of such matters so I am offering my assistance in that which you must do here."

Garia asked, "You are a victim, Master Jepp. Will this not compromise your position?"

Jepp looked attentively at Garia. "Milady, you show an unexpected understanding of the law. Perhaps I am mistaken in my beliefs."

Garia smiled. "Master, where I was brought up, a long, long way from here, we are beset by laws and lawyers. Even a small child will know something of the law because we are exposed to it all the time. I don't know Palarand's laws, though. I'll be happy to take your advice, but I'm just noting that the defense may make something of the fact that you are an interested party, so to speak."

"The defense, milady? I do not recognize this term."

Garia was nonplussed. "Surely you allow the accused to speak in his own defense?"

"Why, yes, milady. Oh, I see what you mean." Jepp considered then shook his head. "I do not think that will be important, milady. After all, it is you who will judge these matters, unless His Highness exercises his prerogative. You may take into account or discard whatever you so wish."

"Oh. Well, I've learned something already." Garia smiled at Jepp. "In that case I think we'll be spending some time talking to you, Master Jepp. If you feel up to it, of course. What do you think, Keren?"

"I agree. Master Jepp, you are the right person to help us get directly to the truth here in the quickest time. We will make full use of your knowledge and experience. I do not think this trial will have any but one result, however. Trogan has been opening letters not addressed to him and that condemns him directly."

Jepp was cautious. "Highness, he may claim to have opened such letters in his capacity as the most senior official in Blackstone."

"But we believe him to be an imposter, with no authority at all," Keren countered. "I am not convinced there ever was a Tax Assessor named Trogan."

"I have seen his letter of appointment, Highness. Surely that makes him legitimate?"

"He may have taken it from the body of the real official, Master Scribe. Possession of a letter is no guarantee of the man."

Jepp was shaken. "I had not considered that possibility at all, Highness. I thought him someone duly appointed who had gone bad, not a bandit who had usurped the post of his victim."

"Allegedly," Garia said. "Remember, we have to prove he is guilty somehow." Her eyes narrowed. "Wait a moment. If there were letters addressed to those of you in the cells, would he have authority to open them himself? Or would he be legally obliged to pass them to you unopened?"

"We had not been convicted of any crime, milady. He has no right to open letters addressed to those not convicted. Letters to convicted criminals must also be passed to them unopened but may be examined afterward by their jailers if required. After all, it might be necessary to prevent any attempt at escape. Do you tell me he has opened letters addressed to those of us he put in the cells, milady?"

"Almost certainly. I have my secretary going through the papers in the Steward's Office now. If we can draw up a table of dates when things happened that may be enough. I'll ask Merry when she comes in. Uh, that's Milady Merizel, daughter of Baron Kamodar of South Reach who is my secretary. She's not a Scribe but she's doing the work of one."

Keren switched his attention to the other man. "Master Sinidar. How may we help you?"

"Highness, Milady. I am also of the town assembly and I wish to make known that I shall serve milady as loyally as I may. I am the Tanner for the town, and since, as Master Jepp relates, we have not been able to leave the town since before the rains, I am short of certain materials necessary for my craft. I would like your permission to travel to Tranidor with the caravan to obtain those materials I require."

"Master Brydas, will we have need for the town assembly in the near future? You obviously approve of Sinidar going to Tranidor."

"As you say, milady. I do not know your intent, Milady, nor yours, Highness, but I think that any assembly business can wait the four days until Master Sinidar returns."

Garia nodded. "Agreed. We'll be busy trying those men, I guess. Jaxen, have you room for Master Sinidar?"

"Aye, milady. Someone who knows this route will be most welcome. The presence of an assemblyman in Tranidor may be useful to your own purposes, milady, so I will be happy to take him with us."

"Great."

Garia looked up to see Merizel approaching. She glanced at Jenet who said, "Milady, it is but a quarter before the fourth bell."

Merizel came to their table, curtseyed and sat facing Garia, placing a bundle of letters on the table.

"Garia, I found these. Some of them are addressed to you. Rather, to Baroness Blackstone the title-holder instead of you as a person. From the dates I would estimate they came in the most recent bag of mail which Trogan's men picked up before we arrived."

Jepp said, "There can be no doubt of his guilt, milady, not with this evidence. He should never have opened anything addressed to you."

Garia agreed, "As you say, Master Jepp. Merizel, this is Master Jepp, the town scribe. I imagine you and he will be working together for a while sorting out that office. Master Jepp, this is Lady Merizel, my secretary."

"Milady Merizel."

"Master Jepp. I'm pleased to meet you."

Jepp regarded Garia and Merizel. Two young ladies, one a baroness and the other her secretary? Well, anyone could be a baroness, he supposed, if their parents suddenly died and she was the only surviving child. From what rumors he had picked up in the town that didn't seem to be the case here, though. To have her own secretary might be appropriate for one so young but then the secretary couldn't be that much older. And what of her relationship with the Prince? They spoke to each other as brother and sister, not Prince and minor noble. These young people seemed to ignore the conventions of rank and status completely. Had he spent too much time out here in Blackstone, could society have changed so much since he came here? He thought not, so what was going on?

"Milady," Jenet said as she stood, "I must inspect your attire before you stand on the balcony. If you please?"

"Oh. Yes, of course, Jenet."

"Highness," Brydas said, also standing, "if you would permit, I would inspect your own attire."

"Master Brydas," Keren said as he got to his feet, "you are too kind."

With everybody standing and checked over, Keren led the way out of the rear door and along to the stairway to the men's quarters. He turned at the foot.

"I'll just make sure the way is clear," he said with a smile. "I doubt there is anyone left upstairs in a state not fit for ladies to see but one can never be sure."

He skipped up the stairs and checked several doors before beckoning the party.

"You're safe. Come on up."

They ascended the stair and turned into the large dormitory which occupied the bulk of the upper floor over the common room. There were blankets laid out in rows along the floor, neatly folded, against the walls where beds would have been. On top of most of the blankets were satchels or duffels containing what few belongings each man owned.

At the front of the room were two pairs of double doors opening onto the balcony which ran the whole width of each building. Brydas walked forward and out of the nearest, the rest following. On the balcony already were Brazan and Denard, standing at one end near the pole which had been erected over the street. Garia walked forward to view the street and received a shock. Below them was a huge crowd, filling the street from side to side and a long way in each direction. When the party appeared on the balcony applause erupted and grew until the whole mass of townsfolk was clapping and cheering.

Wow. I didn't think this many people lived in Blackstone. Where have they all come from? I have no idea how many are down there but it has to be many hundreds.

Keren stood forward, placing his hands on the balustrade, and the noise gradually tapered off.

"People of Blackstone. I am Keren, son of King Robanar of Palarand. Recently come of age, I am traveling my father's kingdom to become familar with our lands and people. It was chance brought me here, a chance that has freed you from an oppressor no-one beyond the forest knew existed. That man, who sought to leech you of your honestly-earned coin, now awaits the judgement of the laws of Palarand, as do those who sought to aid him in his enterprise."

There was a distinct buzz in the crowd as Keren made this pronouncement. He raised a hand to quieten them and smiled.

"You were not assembled here this morning for me to tell you that, although I know you will all feel the safer for the hearing of it. Instead I must speak of another matter entirely. Some months past, in the heat of summer, a young woman was discovered in the mountains to the south of Palarand by a caravan led by the same wagonmaster who brought us here, Wagonmaster Jaxen."

Keren indicated Jaxen to the crowd. He bowed to acknowledge his name.

"That woman," he continued, "comes from a far distant land called Kansas and she has no idea where it is, how she arrived among us or how she might return home. All we know is that Kansas is not in Alaesia but somewhere else entirely. That being so, my father gave her shelter and she now resides with the royal family in the palace. It seems that knowledge and custom in Kansas are very different than they are in The Valley and so this woman has sought to repay my father's kindness by sharing her knowledge with us. She has spoken of wonders so strange we struggle to grasp their meaning and of ideas so simple that we cannot understand why we have not discovered them ourselves.

"Such is my father's gratitude for this knowledge that he has made her a baroness, since she is alone and will need income and the protection of men-at-arms to support her life in our lands. In return she has pledged herself utterly to my father and to the Kingdom of Palarand. She is here with me today, and I present her formally to you: your new liege, Baroness Garia of Blackstone."

Garia stepped forward to join Keren, her lips suddenly dry. There was a certain amount of applause from the crowd but not as much as she had expected. She looked down at the sea of faces, wondering what she was going to say to them.

There are so many! Women and children too. Well, I had a sort of rough speech lined up, let's see if I can remember any of it. I never was any good at public speaking before and these people aren't like the Questors but there are any number of ways this can go wrong...

"People of Blackstone," she began. There was much shuffling of feet but the noise died away quite rapidly.

I'm going to have to raise my voice so's those in back can hear me. And try and lower the pitch. Someone told me a long time ago, I forget who, that lower-pitched voices sound more authoritative.

"People of Blackstone," she repeated, attempting to project her voice. "I'm not noble born, unlike anyone else you might have come across in the past. In Kansas, where I come from, we don't have nobles at all and we run our affairs very differently than you do here. I have told the King I will try and follow your customs where I can but you should expect me to make some mistakes here and there. You should also expect me to try out some new ideas from time to time. I will rely upon your assistance and forebearance to make my position here function the way you expect it to."

She had the crowd's attention now. Press on.

"I'm not going to run Blackstone like some other nobles might have done. That's partly because I live down south in the palace with the King and Queen and Prince Keren and I am extremely busy most of the time. I have many dealings with all the Guilds and the Society of Questors as well and unfortunately that means I have to spend a lot of my time in the capitol. I figure Blackstone is quite capable of looking after its own affairs much as it has done these past years. I am quite content for your Town Assembly to resume meeting as it did before that man appeared.

"I will make you one pledge, though. I will visit Blackstone at least twice each year in future, each visit to be no less than four weeks in length. These visits will be in the Spring and Autumn, since I have been told it is too hot to travel midsummer and very difficult in Winter. As a formal link with myself when I am not here I will find someone to become my steward, since I believe the steward previously appointed is no longer well enough to do that job."

Okay. Now let's cut to the chase. Money is important to these people and Trogan screwed most of it out of them.

"As far as the matter of Taxes is concerned, I do not need your money. I shall not take a single crown from Blackstone. Any taxes you need to raise will be spent solely for the benefit of the town and the people in it. As for the money already taken from you by that man, I am told we are not sure who paid what, so the money will be given to the Assembly to pay out to those who need it most."

Behind her, Brydas and Jepp could not restrain their astonishment.

"Milady!"

Without turning round Garia held up a hand to one side to stop them.

"As I said, I don't need your money. I am placing my trust in all of you to ensure that the money we found goes where it is needed most. I don't know if that is all he stole, or if there is more he has spent or hidden away. If any more is ever found, it shall be returned to you. Now, I'm about to give you some news that some of you are probably not going to like. I would ask you to let me finish before you begin complaining."

She stepped forward and placed her own hands on the balustrade.

"Did you know what they call you, people of Blackstone, in the town of Tranidor? They think you simple foolish country folk who keep themselves warm in winter by burning rocks."

There was a chuckle from several quarters of the crowd but there were also those who showed sour expressions. Garia continued.

"You know the secret of the black rock and unfortunately for you so do I. I know another secret of that rock, and that is, if it is suitably treated it can be used instead of charcoal to make large quantities of high-quality steel."

That got their attention. Some of them had already figured out what was coming next.

"I have given this secret to the Guildsmen and they are anxious to begin large-scale experiments in steel-making. You can all guess what that might mean. There are going to be incomers to the town, miners and all the others who are needed to support the mining effort, and this town will become busier and richer than any of you will ever have known. Some of you are already thinking of the fortunes that you are going to make in the coming years. All I can say is, good for you.

"However, there will be others who will not like what is going to happen to this town. Inevitably, it is going to grow and the small community you now are is going to change forever. Blackstone may, in fact, become a sizeable city. You will have to stop thinking of Blackstone as a small town out in the back of nowhere which is known for its wool, leather and meat - and rustic locals who burn rocks. It is unlikely that you will be able to graze herds of Pakh around here, or up Blackstone Vale, for very much longer. Blackstone will become a mining town and the land will be taken up with dwellings, spoil tips and processing areas.

"Because of this I will make you two promises here and now. Firstly, I will not permit the miners and others to pillage the land around here as I have seen them do elsewhere. All shall be planned and controlled so that everyone has the benefit and the workings are clean and safe. Any developments within the town itself are for the Assembly to decide, not me.

"Secondly, if any of you finds what is to come to be too much to bear, I will fund you to leave Blackstone and settle somewhere else that you might find more comfortable. This offer is only open to those of you who live at the present time in the town of Blackstone or in the surrounding area as far south as the edge of the forest. For that reason I'm going to ask the Assembly to provide me with a complete survey of every man, woman, child and beast who lives in my lands and what their properties consist of. I have been told that this is something a noble does anyway on acquiring new lands."

And thank you, Kendar! I can play this 'according to custom' but I can make it serve my own purposes as well.

Garia waved her hand at the two guildsmen who came forward.

"These are two guildsmen that the Guild Hall in Palarand suggested I bring with me to Blackstone. Master Yarling is a Master Miner and he specializes, so I am told, with laying out mines and the associated works. Master Bezan, despite his young looks, I am told is expert in the planning of towns, roads and the works that accompany them such as fresh water and drains. You will be seeing them in future days walk the town and the countryside discovering what is available and the best way of using it - or protecting it.

"Finally, I must thank you all for coming. I'm going to be very busy for a day or two, because I have to write letters to the King and Queen and Duke Gilbanar explaining what happened here, and then tomorrow we'll begin putting those men on trial. Once we get that business over and done with the Prince and I will be available if you wish to speak with either of us." Garia smiled down at the crowd. "Don't think that because we are nobles you can't speak to us. You are my people and I want to find out all about this town and the people in it. It is my duty to look after you all and I intend to take that seriously. I'm sure the Prince feels the same way."

Garia stepped back slightly, indicating that she had finished, but Brydas coughed.

"Milady, perhaps you had best explain those pins on your back."

"Oh. Right." She stepped forward again. "I wear swords upon my back because, in the land where I grew up, women can do most of the things that any man can. I can use these swords, in fact I used them yesterday to capture the man called Sethan. I can also fight without using any weapons at all. In the palace I train with the guard and have taught some of them to fight the way I do. In fact, this has been so successful that they are experimenting with the idea of allowing women into the guard itself.

"I can ride like a man and some of you will notice that the saddles we use are different, another design from Kansas, where I was brought up. The men say it makes the frayen more comfortable and easier to control. There is much of a practical nature which I have told the King and his advisors and it is partly for these ideas that I have been made a baroness. I have no doubt at all you will be seeing many more of these ideas in the future."

"Milady." That was Brazan calling from the end of the balcony.

"Oh, of course. While His Highness and I reside in the town we will use this building since it was empty and we are quite a large party. Mistress Sukhana, who happens to be the sister of Wagonmaster Jaxen, has volunteered to be our housekeeper during our stay here. I have not decided what will happen to the building when we leave, that may depend on what goes on while we are here. My man at the end there is about to show you my colors. Many of the more attractive combinations have already been taken but I quite like this one. I hope you do too."

Brazan hauled on a rope and the standard dropped free from the pole and hung over the crowd. The applause started again and grew until it was at least as loud as at the beginning. Garia heaved a sigh of relief.

"Well done, Garia," Keren murmured. "A good beginning, in front of your people."

"Aye, milady," Brydas added. "You have raised many questions but answered more. Now no-one can say they do not know what you intend."

Garia waved at the crowd, who showed no signs of dispersing. On an impulse Keren took her hand and the two stood forward to receive the response. Eventually Keren had to raise his free hand to quieten the crowd.

"People of Blackstone! Thank you for your support for your new liege. I trust you will excuse us now, since I fear Milady Garia requires some small morsel of lunch to sustain her after such an effort. We will not keep you any longer since I know some of you have traveled some distance to be here this morning and you must needs return to your homes. As Milady Garia has said, we shall both reside in the town for at least four weeks so there will be time should any wish to petition us. Thank you."

He turned and led Garia back into the building, whereupon she immediately sagged at the knees.

"What ails you, milady?" Brydas asked as Keren supported her with an arm.

"Uh, just energy, Master Smith. I used up a lot of nervous energy out there, though I tried my hardest to hide it."

Brydas nodded. "As you say, milady. You are very young to have such a task set upon you. As you suggested in your speech, all in the town will support you in your duties as Baroness. I doubt many will object to the changes you have foretold. Do you need help with the stairs?"

"Thank you, no, Master Brydas. Once I get across the road to the Bell and get some pel inside me I'll recover quickly." She smiled at him. "As you say, I am quite young and we're supposed to be full of energy."

The group pushed their way through the crowds who remained in the street, receiving applause and encouraging words from many. Inside the busy common-room of the Bell they found that a table had been reserved and Yanda was waiting.

"Pel, bread and meats for us all," Keren instructed. "Maker, I could eat a frayen!"

~o~O~o~

"Ow. My fingers hurt."

Garia flexed her fingers and rotated her hand to try and restore some circulation. Her eyes hurt as well from her attempts to see adequately in the late afternoon light. There were lamps on the table but they were not enough for someone more used to electric lighting.

"I know what you mean," Merizel said. "I've been writing all afternoon and my own fingers are sore. How many letters have you written so far?"

Garia counted the folded parchments on the table. "This is my fifth," she said. "The King and Queen were quite easy and even my note to Master Gerdas didn't need too much effort. Writing to Uncle Gil was a different matter and now I am trying to say something sensible to Master Parrel. It's your language, I'm afraid. I can speak it quite easily but attempting to put the words down on parchment is a whole other matter. I like the script but forming the letters with these reed pens is quite difficult. I guess you've been doing it so long you find it easier?"

"Well, yes, Garia. It is what I was taught as a child, after all. I can quite believe that if you are used to making another kind of shape you would find ours hard. Keren?"

Keren carefully replaced his own reed in the ink-pot and leaned back.

"It is as you say, Merry. Normally, of course, people like us would have a Speed Scribe at hand to jot down our words and then make a work of art from them afterwards. I do not remember when last I wrote so many pages at one time." He smiled at the girls. "Fortunately, once we are done the need for so many missives should slacken somewhat. Perhaps we can find help for future writing sessions."

"Says you," Garia said with a snort. "We'll have to write up the coming trial and then Jaxen will bring back all kinds of letters from every official in Tranidor, Dekarran and Palarand who thinks they have some kind of authority. Not to mention all the letters from guildsmen and the howls of rage from miners and every other trade who will want a piece of the action here."

"That's perfectly normal, Garia," Keren said complacently. "We get those all the time and there are people employed in the palace just to deal with all that nonsense. Father, Mother and I only see the most important documents. I'm sure you'll find people around Blackstone who you can use for the same function."

"I probably will, although I'll feel guilty dumping all that on them. After all, it will be the townspeople who are going to have to manage the changes which are to come. It will take a letter a week to get from the palace to Blackstone, after all."

"Perhaps not. In my letter to Uncle Gil I've asked him to consider making a semaphore link to Blackstone a priority."

"How will you get a semaphore through the forest?" Merizel asked. "Once you enter the trees you can't see a thing."

"That's easy," Keren replied with a grin. "That's the beauty of semaphores, that they don't have to follow the roads. We can put a station or two high up the side of the mountain where they can be easily seen from both ends. We don't need to go through the forests at all."

"A semaphore link will make all the difference," Garia mused, still massaging her fingers. "I can ask them something and probably get a reply the following day."

"And then there's this other idea you told us about," Keren said. "What was it? Telegraph. I wonder, we're going to need such quantities of copper my mind refuses to accept the idea."

"You'll be surprised," Garia said. "Besides, the wires don't have to be copper all the way. In fact, copper will be too soft and too easy to corrode for outside use. We'll probably use steel or some alloy instead."

"This is intended to help? So, we'll need thousands of tons of steel instead of thousands of tons of copper." Keren shrugged. "I just hope you are right about what is to be found inside the ground."

Garia smiled. "Trust me, Keren. It will be hundreds of years before you ever get to a position where the minerals in the ground start to become exhausted. This planet is big. If we are careful and reclaim everything useful out of any old and broken equipment we'll be able to carry on for centuries. Still, this is a subject for the council. How about some pel while our fingers return to normal?"

With one of Yanda's serving girls and a tray of pel came Jaxen.

"Highness, Milady, Mistress, I am not interrupting anything?"

"No," Keren replied, "come in, we are glad of any excuse to save our fingers from injury this afternoon. Seat yourself, and I believe there is a spare mug on that tray."

"Thank you, Highness. I see you are busy writing letters."

"Or not writing them, as you can also see," said Garia. "I am not used to writing like this, especially in a script I only learned just recently."

"There are so many letters," Merizel added. "We could fill an entire room with scribes."

Jaxen smiled. "That is why you are nobles and I just make wagons go from town to town. Milady, you have my sympathy. While I can write letters, I find it painful after a short while. I believe that should I do enough of it the pain would lessen. The effect, I think, may be similar to that experienced when riding a new saddle."

"You're right, Jaxen! I never thought of it like that. Now, while you're here, I had an idea."

Jaxen and Keren rolled their eyes.

Garia ignored them and continued, "Do you by chance have any spare tarpaulins? If you do, I might like to borrow two while you are away."

"Tarpaulins, milady? You have a use for such items?"

"I do. I've been wondering how we - that is, Keren and myself and all the men-at-arms - are going to do our usual training while we're here."

Keren stopped reaching for a mug and looked attentively at Garia. "You have some idea, then to replace our felt mats?"

"That's right. I saw one of our men this morning going into the stables of the Claw with a huge heap of fodder. Now, if we were to spread a tarpaulin out in the courtyard, then lay an even thickness of fodder over it and put the other tarpaulin over the top..?"

Keren nodded, excited. "Aye, that would be just right. The lower tarpaulin would keep the courtyard clean and the upper one would stop us getting fodder all over our clothing."

"That's right! And afterwards the fodder would still be good enough to feed to the frayen."

Jaxen considered. "I'm not sure our tarpaulins would be suitable, milady. They - I hate to admit this - they are somewhat the worse for wear." He brightened. "It is possible the tarpaulins carried by your two wagons may be of better quality and those wagons are staying here, aren't they?"

"Will they be big enough?" Keren asked.

"We'll find out this evening," Garia said. "It won't take long."

"These felt mats you spoke of," Jaxen said.

"Ah. Aye, they are what the palace guard use for certain kinds of training," Keren said, explaining what size they were and how they were made.

"I might be able to commission a mat for you while I am in Tranidor," Jaxen offered.

"There's no real point," Garia said. "We're not going to be here long enough for it to matter and it will be quite bulky to take away with us when we leave. I just hoped to find some substitute for the short while we are here."

"As you say, milady. Still, I will make enquiries while I am there. After all, it is not just the palace guard who practice, is it? I may be able to find one to borrow for a month and bring back with me, returning it on our way back to the south."

"As you will, Jaxen."

Jaxen inspected the contents of the table.

"Highness, Milady, do you think you will have finished your letters by tonight? If so, I will make plans to leave in the morning for Tranidor."

Garia shook her head. "Sorry, Jaxen. I think we're going to need another day."

"That's fine with me, milady," Jaxen said, reaching for his mug.

~o~O~o~

"Do you think we got away with it today, Jenet?"

"I don't know, milady. I do not recall ever being in a similar situation. I believe that most of the crowd are friendly, or at least not against you. It is difficult to tell with crowds, since all may appear to be of one mind in front of their fellows and may say something different when elsewhere."

"As you say. Perhaps we'll learn more as the days go by. The trial tomorrow should make people happy, do you not think?"

"Of course, milady. Who would not cheer when such as Trogan receives his just reward?"

"I hope so. It's just... I'm finding this whole situation difficult to get my head round."

"Milady?"

"As I told them, we don't have nobles or liege lords or that stuff back in Kansas. In fact, I don't think this situation exists anywhere on Earth any more. It's hard for me to figure out my relationship to these people. They're not slaves, they're not serfs, but they are still my people and that is a situation I find hard to understand. Oh, I know the King and the Dukes and the other nobles have the same situation but that's all they have ever known, and the people are just the same. It's me I'm having trouble with."

"I'm sure you will have little difficulty, milady. Everything you have done since you arrived at the palace shows that you can command any circumstance. I think you will do well for your people, as you have done well by myself and the others who now belong to your house."

"That's another thing. I'm head of a House... this whole business is just crazy!"

"Milady, this is but a beginning. There is a distance to travel yet, and I have no doubt that you will overcome all obstacles."

"I wish I had your optimism, Jenet. I just wish I did."

up
390 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Chapter 69

Finding this offering, today, is a great surprise! I would be stalking my house by tomorrow if we had to await Sunday.

Thanks!

DJ

Stalking your house?

Good heavens, what should you use to subdue it when it is captured?

G

Once you have it, you sit

Once you have it, you sit around it!


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

SEE...

Thanks once again Penny!! It's always nice to see a new episode of SEE waiting! Now on to the read! lol

Garia has certainly

given the residents of Blackstone back their dignity after rousting out those cads. But worried that Trogan might have a few friends around to try and cause trouble.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Good catch, Stan.

You remember the two that got away with three frayen?

We haven't seen the last of them.

Penny

Good story

I always enjoy 'time-traveller dumped in a backward location' stories - James Schmitz; Sprague de Camp; Leo Frankowski; Harry Harrison and others.

The balance between interference and too-clever is tricky. I like the way this is going. Not sure about the Romans who are a side-issue so far. The possibility of a royal love-affair; industrial overgrowth; the BtG transformation (which is almost irrelevant now) make at least three major plot-lines.

I do wonder how far ahead SEE is plotted and who helps with the overview. I do dislike paper books which are moving along then have several plot-lines all dealt with in a sudden flurry as the word-count target approaches - but I really dislike Potter-type books which grow by the volume with no evidence of editorial control. Oh well, in fantasy everything can be perfect!?
Alys

Plot lines

I know exactly where we are going and how those who survive are going to get there :P

Unfortunately, I can't tell you exactly how many more chapters that will be. You'll just have to enjoy whatever I end up writing :)

Penny

A Satisfying answer

as far as I'm concerned. thanks! Enjoying the tale.

Good chapter, looks like any

Good chapter, looks like any dissenters are in the minority, here's hoping for smooth sailing from here. I wonder though, what was in the the letters to Baroness Blackstone that Trogan had?

Big hugs

Lizzie :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

Letters

You might find out next chapter. I wouldn't hold your breath, though. There are perfectly mundane reasons for letters to be sent to any noble.

Penny

Dissent

Of course, although there are big changes on the horizon, (a) they're still in the planning stages (I expect any mining will be relatively small scale for the first couple of years, while the logistics and infrastructure are sorted out) and (b) Garia's just starting her "honeymoon period" with the locals. At the moment they're just glad they've been rescued from the authoritarian rule they were previously under.

Meanwhile, the conspirators will no doubt meet their just desserts and what's left of the money redistributed. Courtesy of the new saddles making beasts (of all sorts) more responsive (as evidenced by Snep's little gallop en-route), it's possible mail deliveries could be shortened by a few hours - possibly even more when the roads are improved. In the longer term, if there happens to be a tributory of the main river running through Blackstone, it may be possible to canalise it, which would save a certain degree of wear and tear on the roads (as full loads would head downstream).

Of course, aside from establishing a new industry in the area, Garia's got to get some form of banking system set up (a credit note from The Crown will only go so far!) - it's possible the credit notes could be used as inspiration for banknotes (which in the UK at least, are still promissary notes - carrying a message from the current Governor of the Bank of England: "I promise to pay the bearer on demand the sum of [face value]" - which would save on transporting coinage.) Meals for the next few days may not be such a problem - given the number of locals willing to help out in the Ptuvil's Claw, they'd probably be more than willing to show Sookie the ropes with cooking on coal and share their own cooking pots until the merchants have done their restocking round-trip.

As for length, based on what's happened so far and what's already been signposted, I'd be surprised if we're over half way through yet... possibly somewhere in the low hundreds (considerably more than 100, considerably less than 500). Of course, while Penny's no doubt plotted out the main 'milestones' in the story, the route between them may be fairly direct or a more leisurely stroll, depending on what her muse directs her to do when she sits down to write... :)


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Whimper

I'm already surprised by quite how long this story has lasted.

I'm not sure how much more there will be, as I'm always finding unintended consequences whenever I get my crew somewhere, but I can assure the fatigued readership that we are beyond the halfway point now - at least in plot terms.

The transport issues and banking will be addressed once we get past the trial, or maybe some of that will have to wait until Bezan gets back from Tranidor.

My muse? She's been suspiciously compliant of late. A few months ago my head was filled with all kinds of other plot ideas, only one of which I succumbed to writing down and publishing.

I dread what will happen when I finish this one. Will my head be empty, my body a dried husk from exhaustion? Will my brain explode from all the suppressed ideas? Will there be a mob outside my door wanting to string me up for what I did to my story, or will they all clamour for a sequel? Only time will tell.

Penny

Hml..

Maybe you'll do more State...

Also, aluminium is actually pretty easy to get out of the bauxite, if you have the power available; it's just not likely that she'd know the entire process.

Prior to that process, aluminium was worth more than gold.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Over halfway ?

We're over halfway ? But there are so many unresolved issues. The dragons, the romans, the looming war, possible other people from Earth, the aliens, the Keren-Garia relationship, ...

Or is that for book 2, book 3, ... :)

Edit: oops, you already organised the chapters in "books", so I guess I'll need to find another word.

Hugs,

Kimby

Ah so much to do so little time.

Garia is learning just how complex a society is ... any society, that is. The more industrialised it becomes, the more complex the governance..

Lots of nanswered questions to dwell upon Penny so thanks for the story.

Bev.

XX

bev_1.jpg

I wondered about that too

There are at least the two bad guys out there.

Though were some of them men who THOUGHT the tax man was the real one and therefore authorized to do as he did?

That he or some of his men burnt the campsite/travelers inn and presumably killed the people there is most disturbing. A thief is one thing. A murder is something else.

The straw filled tarpaulin mats sound good. Or they could supplement them with sawdust filled ones, underneath. Perhaps on a thick bed of sand? Just need to replenish both frequently as the straw and sawdust will compress rapidly and lose its springiness.

Hum, can they make steel springs? Can you say trampoline? Or more practically a better suspension for wagons and the soon to be needed railroad. Even if they are at first animal and gravity powered ones for the mines. That's how railroads started on Earth if memory serves.

I agree a semaphore system is vital. To be followed up by a telegraph as soon as the guilds people have a workable model developed. Heck, with Garia's saddle an interim Pony Express type system could be se up until the semaphore is up. And remember it was under 40 years from a practical electric telegraph to the telephone. And the fact Garia knows the basics should shorten that a great deal. Just a matter of improving wire making. the improvements to glass making will provide the insulators for poles.

Now if only they can improve the quality of the copper. In the interim steel/iron wire can suffice. Not as conductive so you need a bigger wire and more current but that is fairly easy, discounting the effects of capacitance and inductance. But that is more a problem with long undersea cables. Not the tens or hundreds of miles I am assuming are needed for Parland and it's allies.

Save the high quality copper or silver or gold wire for the coils of the telegraph and repeater telegraphs. And for generators be they wind, water or steam driven. The transmission wires need not be so refined so long as they work. And some telegraph used ground plates buried in damp soil for part of the circuit. Then you can get by with on wire on the pole. Or use the multiple hanging wires for separate circuits using a common earth ground until they figure our multiplexing.

I suspect once they have an extensive semaphore and telegraph system they will wonder how they ever lived without it.

BTW with the rapid gains in glass making, lens making and all she could describe the basic of a Fresnel lens and of a carbon arc lamp. Both would be very useful for extending the range of the semaphore, navigation and even the military.

And the miners' guide needs to know about safety lamps given the dangers of underground coal mines. Unless the seams re near the surface and they can strip mine but that has its hazards too. And really isn't practical until you have steam shovels and draglines at a minimum. Seems an incandescent electric light -- carbon filament or maybe platinum alloy -- is a top priority for the mines. Sealed inside a secondary gas sealed gals enclosure to prevent breakage and explosion risk Thus the need for safety lamp at a minimum.

As to a telegraph, could even be the prototype system, IE Blackstone gets the new models for testing. It's remoteness made it vulnerable to the thief. It seems logical as the first leg in the system or the second after one between the King and his brother.

Plus, what about those who cooperated with the fake taxman and his gang. If under duress it's one thing. But if some profited by collaboration?

Garia had better always travel in a group. And with several of her men at arms.

Hum, mundane letters? Sure but could contain a few bombshells. Something like... "what is this about you and Keren being lovers?" But will the next line be, "you were warned this can never be," or " I assume this is a foolish rumor but please take care. Appearance are important," or "About time you two followed your hearts. It will break with tradition but with you dear child, that is to be expected, and nurtured."

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

If they can find chromium,

If they can find chromium, they could create braided stainless steel cable. Steel will conduct just fine, the problem is that the iron oxide that forms on the surface creates an insulation effect. Copper oxide isn't quiet as bad.

the key is in the _braided_ part. Electrical transmission happens on the surface, not in the core. What that means is that a braided cable of small wires will actually pass more current than a solid wire of the same diameter. (however, a tube will conduct on the outside and inside surface)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Or a twisted wire rope should do nicely

And a muti stranded cable has the advantage that it is more forgiving of uneven quality control. If made well far more than a few individual strands have to break before the whole cable would fail.

My concern is until eletrolytic refining copper tended to be too britle or inconsistent to use for telephone/telegraph/power transmission cable. Something to do with contamination with arsenic?

Plus once you are that point then making alumium becomes practical along withh silcon carbide, high purity graphite, atomic reactors ... Oops!

For now I think the telegraph will do nicely.

And gas light from the coak plants perhaps made far more efficent with Welsbach mantles -- IE what a Coleman lantern uses. Great tech, competed for a while with electrcity until tungsten filament bulbs and the far lesser risk of fire electic lighting provides. Mind you used under the proper care that type of gas light is very useful. For street lighting alone it would be well worth it or in important factories or libraries, used with extream care ... DUH!

BTW Chrome steel is great but.... wait for it.... don't chain up King Kong with it.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Good points of interest.

Really great points by you both. It will make for interesting reading anyway Penny goes with it.

One point to clarify though. Current passes through the wire in DC and low frequency AC. The greater the frequency, the closer to the surface it travels, making twisted wire the best for AC. DC requires a larger diameter wire to reduce resistance and heat. Although AC also benefits from it.

Chrome would be great, but there seems to be plenty of nickle available to make stainless steel, which is rust resistant also. Just another option. :)

I definitely look forward to more chapters, as Penny does a great job on all of her stories.

Mark <3

Chrome or Nickel?

Actually, I believe Stainless Steel is 2% Chromium and 2% Nickel (the other 96% being Iron, of course).

I've been thinking about Stainless Steel, actually, but I think it will be a few years yet before they develop that. After all, they have yet to identify either Chromium or Nickel yet, let alone find out how to extract them and what from.

Perhaps the spectograph Garia outlined to Parrel and Hurdin may help with that. Anyhows, this story will be done long before that happens.

Penny

Based on some judicious googling

Nickel alone provides a bit of protection for a fairly alkaline PH. Chromium of 10% and greater is what is considered stainless steel and provides protection over a wider range of ph. Based on the wiki, the Chinese was already using chromium oxide to protect weaponry at 2000 BC so it is not impossible for chromium to be already around without people realizing what it is.

Kim

Hands down it has to be AC

... so transformers and high tension wires has to be the order of the day. HVDC requires technologies not yet available yet to convert ac to dc and back again, the latter being the most difficult. We do not want them to get into that Edison vs Westinghouse brouhaha. That poor elephant! :(. So yes, a low skin effect wire is essential. Now to get purity, I suspect in a pinch, copper plated steel wires might help for higher current situations. High tension wires, given how high the voltage is does not need to be copper of course. Edit: At least initially but commercial grade systems will need copper or aluminum cores and special insulation due to the voltage level.

Kim

A wonderful story

This wonderful story just keeps getting better and better. The people are real and so are the situations. You keep us in suspence and carry us along. Thanks for posting the chapters frequently. Stretching chapters out by weeks or months makes it difficult to maintain interest. I'll go back and read it many times once it's finished but in the mean time I read each chapter as it appears.

Thank you for your efforts.

Much Love,

Valerie R

Humble

terrynaut's picture

Garia does make a good humble and caring leader. I think Blackstone will thrive under her leadership. I look forward to reading about it happening.

I just hope Snep isn't too unhappy. He must be missing Garia a lot! Poor Snep.

Thanks and kudos!

- Terry, the frayen-happy girl

"Another fine mess you've

"Another fine mess you've gotten me into, Ollie." - Stan Laurel

Another great chapter, Penny. This is one of those stories that I just can't seem to put down. I've already read it entirely five times. I really enjoy the different plots/subplots and resolutions. However you decide to take the story details, I'm sure we'll all like it.

Sometimes I wish I could leave my cares and worries behind, and be transported into a world of wonder and make believe... like this story. In Garia's place I would make some different choices because I have different experiences and knowledge. But I really love your story. Thanks so much for the joy you've brought to me and others with it.

Mark <3

Nobles on earth

Well there are monarchies still in Africa: Lesotho,Morocco,Swaziland and sub-national ones also so yes there are still nobles on earth I suspect.

Kim

Europe ?

Perhaps you forgot about the many remaining royal houses in Europe ? Granted, a lot of former monarchies are now republics, but there are still plenty left.

Hugs,

Kimby

Of course

But in the context of this story, we are talking about old fashioned true feudal monarchy here where the nobles exercise true power over their subjects. Realistically, law or no, it would be suicide for one of her subjects to take Garia on even if she did do something 'wrong'. They really have little recourse as the social contract here is full force. Modern noble houses in Europe are more or less now just symbolic and are constitutional type systems. They could never wield as much control over the people around them like what Garia could do if Garia truly wanted to.

Kim

Feudal systems

Actually, of course, as we are about to find out, Garia has to exercise power and control whether she wants to or not.

This is something that us modern types forget. If you are born as a noble, you get stuck with the powers - and the obligations - whether you wanted them or not. That's why, in earlier ages, some nobles deliberately went out of their way to be decadent and dissipated, not because they could but because it was the only way they had of rebelling against the system.

And of course your original point is valid: the townspeople had no choice but to believe Trogan was really a tax assessor and obey his demands. The alternative would literally be suicide, even without the additional threats Trogan used to screw more money out of the people.

Penny

Penny's writing keeps jumping over the bar

"Milady, this is but a beginning. There is a distance to travel yet, and I have no doubt that you will overcome all obstacles."

"I wish I had your optimism, Jenet. I just wish I did."
.
.

Like every other reader, I am of the same mind as Jenet. I have no doubt that Garia is the right person in the right place at the right time :-)

Another calm before another storm?

Jamie Lee's picture

A certain calm has been restored to Blackstone with the put down of a baggard who was taking advantage of a situation that could not be verified, because they kept the townspeople from verifying anything.

Their trial is likely going to be a circus, with claims and counter claims being made. Merizel has found evidance which is going to make it hard to refute any wrong doing. Opening mail destined for others is enough to hang 'em high.

Might there be some in Blackstone who were profiting from the illegal taxing and jailing? Might they be very upset the money has been cut off. Might they learn a hard lesson should they go after Garia or Keren?

Others have feelings too.

Blaggards

Probably all aren't caught yet. Trial? She could issue summary judgements, really she could given the society and their expectations... But she seems set to change the legal system as well, so she will not, evidently issue summary judgement.