Hope

Printer-friendly version

Hope
By Samantha Jay
 © December 2012

I first met him nearly five years ago when he turned up at the support group I attended. He was shy and awkward and looked very lost. Even then I saw a kindred spirit, but I didn’t realise just how alike we were.
I was just completing my transition and was going to continue at the group, giving back what I had received; help and advice.
Anyway, he turned up one evening and I saw someone who needed a lot of help. I approached and went into overdrive.
“Hi, I’m Faith. I haven’t seen you before. You new?” Hey I didn’t say I was good.
He looked at me and I noticed the indecision.
“Sorry, as an opening line I know that sucks, but I really am called Faith.”
I could still see the fight or flight reaction and tried a new tack. I gently reached for his arm and said, “Are you a tea or coffee drinker. I like tea taken white without sugar.”
“Tea sounds fine,” he finally answered as I gently led him to a table.

From that awkward start a friendship grew. I learnt of his abuse at the hands of his family and so called friends. His desire to become female and that he was saving every penny he could from his three minimum rate jobs to pay for the operation to fulfil his longing. He spoke little of his family and experiences, but I pieced together some of what he had endured.
I helped as much as I could as he became the family that I had lost just as I became the family he had lost. I got him to move in with me so that he could save more. Until the day that he declared that he almost had enough.

The operation, although successful, threw up a problem. I knew he’d been abused, but he had never told me just how bad it had been. His heart had stopped twice on the operating table. Once back in the High Dependency Unit the process of healing began. But she, and the staff, were blindsided by the internal bleeding that the abuse had set up and the operation started. They knew she couldn’t cope with another operation so they pumped in drugs to promote clotting and units of whole blood.
I was listed as primary contact and I was called in by the Unit. When I arrived by her bedside I saw tubes and sensors on different parts of her body. She was unconscious, asleep I assumed, and I noticed the figures on the monitor screen. They were all low.
A nurse removed the nasal cannula that was supplying oxygen and I saw a glimmer of hope. I looked at the screen and saw the respiration figure slowly decrease. It got to five, dropped to four, then three, followed by two, one and finally zero. I then saw that the heart rate was also zero. The nurse switched off the monitor and in that instant Hope was extinguished.

up
64 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Hope

Apologies, I think I lost my original comment so I'll try again.

Sorry for the length of this story, but I needed to write it as part of closure. Now I'm not asking for sympathy, but my sole surviving parent died today and the final scene, except for the abuse, is effectively what happened. I realise that the staff had been preparing me for her death with their updates, but I still hoped my mother would recover. I wrote this story because I need to get the image of that monitor screen, the one with the zeros, out of my head and I hope that by doing this I can let the image go knowing that I can get it back by reading this story.

Sorry again

Sam

Images...

Andrea Lena's picture

...can linger long after. I still struggle with the last time I saw my sister alive, and it's been nearly nine years since she passed. How much more painful and sad for you. I am so sorry for your loss and for the heartache you are feeling. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Hope...

After seeing so much death in my own life and losing people so very close to me, I wonder that it never gets easier to bear. I only hope and pray that your memories remaining are as sweet as those I have. I am so very sorry for your troubles.

May You Have Peace This Day...

Kelly

PKB_003b.jpg

Hope is a

very sad reminder of the hurt some go through

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Hope R I P

I too was with my mother when see died unlike you we did not have monitors hooked up we just waited 18 days for the end to come and it was very peaceful as her breathing just slowwed down till there was no more.
Smamatha my heart goes out to you and remember the good times
HUGS & KISSES RICHIE2

If you have never been disowned, abandoned, abused from every

direction, then you do not know how long those images stay in the mind. There are triggers that will bring up one of the abuses, or maybe the several in a day. These can be abuses that cover the gamut of abuses. It is too sad that your mother passed away. I know it is hard to lose a family member. I buried my mother on Groundhog Day 1997. She had died of lung cancer at the age of 68. I will keep you in my prayers.

Even though my mom and I argued about the path I was taking in living my life, and even though she abandoned and disowned me at 12 years old, I still want her here. I still would love to hug her and be able to show her what a beautiful daughter she really has. That was almost 16 years ago.

This story was written from the heart and reminded me so much of that day in 1997. Even though they are sad ones, thanks for the memories. Thank you.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

Wow

this short story packed a whollop! I feel so sorry for her. She at least got to be herself if even for a brief instant. This one really makes you think about it and it lingers within you...

Sephrena