Bikini Beach: Cheer Squad

Printer-friendly version


Bikini Beach: Cheer Squad
ElrodW

A young man enjoys being on the cheer squad, but it causes him a lot of social problems. A friend suggests that maybe, if he wants to continue as a cheerleader, Bikini Beach could help out.

This is a brand new, never-before-published Bikini Beach story. It's the first of several in my writing queue. I hope you enjoy.

My eternal gratitude to Ellie Dauber for helping me refine Grandmother's character. Sir Lee helped immensely with editing and story suggestions.

**********

Bikini Beach: Cheer Squad

This story is copyright by the author. It is protected by licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

Will Harding closed his eyes and took a deep breath, visibly steeling himself for something. Opening his eyes, he pushed on the door into the boys' locker room and stepped boldly inside, or at least as boldly as his average frame and wire-rim glasses would allow when entering the domain of muscle-bound football jocks.

The noise from the locker room was boisterous as the young men from the team changed into their practice uniforms. One of them, Chip Monroe, the captain of the defensive unit, noticed Will stepping to his locker.

"Oh, look, guys!" he yelled. "The cheerleader is here!"

"Did you come to see what real men look like, sissy boy?" another boy taunted.

Will felt his cheeks burning. He had known that the teasing was coming; after all, he'd already put up with the ridicule for over two months, ever since cheerleading practice had started this past summer — about the same time as football practice had begun.

As Will pulled on his running pants, another boy couldn't help adding to the taunting. "Don't forget to put on your makeup!"

Will closed his eyes for a moment, counting to ten. Not that losing his temper would do any good; in the first week, when he'd protested their teasing, he'd ended up stuffed in a locker, given a wedgie, and suffered several other indignities. Even the place kicker would have been able to beat Will to a pulp.

"Are you girls going shopping after practice?"

"Oh, shopping! I bet he finds some fabulous new pumps to match his dress!"

"You're wearing a cup? You're kidding! For cheerleading?"

"Maybe it's to look a little more manly downstairs!"

Will shook his head sadly as the team continued to have fun at his expense. They'd never been accidentally kicked in the groin by cheerleaders slipping during acrobatic maneuvers. The cup was _very_ necessary, just like it was to the football players. But they would never understand. Will pulled on a plain gray T-shirt and walked out of the locker room, letting the door shut behind him to silence the taunts.

As he neared the area where the cheerleaders were already practicing, Will sighed again. He was late — again, thanks to a teacher who insisted that _he_ stay after chemistry class to clean up some of the mess left by the jocks. After all, they had _real_ practice.

"You're late!" the cheerleader coach, Paula Young, yelled.

"I had to …." Will started to protest. He hated arguing with the coach, especially since his parents had taught him to show respect to authority figures.

The other reason was that Coach Young was in her late twenties, and very attractive. She wore her auburn hair in a ponytail that seemed to dance tantalizingly whenever she was demonstrating moves or working out. She wore a tight spandex top, which accentuated the fact that the only areas that looked like they weren't muscle were positioned very strategically on her chest. Her very shapely rear attracted stares like moths to a flame. She was also very strict with her cheerleaders. "I don't care why you're late. Get your ass in gear and get to it!"

Will Harding was the only boy on the cheer squad. He had no interest in playing football or basketball, but he really enjoyed cheerleading. Of course, that led to seemingly endless taunting and teasing. After all, the other boys thought, only a sissy would want to be a cheerleader.

Will worked harder than any of the girls; he had to. As the only guy, he was always doing lifts and catches, which required timing and strength on his part. He sighed to himself between routines; the football jocks would have been stunned at how much strength and coordination it really took to do the acrobatic routines. It took a lot of practice with the girls to get the routines down so they looked easy.

After a long practice session, with a couple of new routines, the coach dismissed the cheerleaders. The girls headed immediately for their locker room to change. Will, however, sat down to rest and to drink some water. It was obviously a stall tactic to avoid yet another confrontation with the jocks.

Coach Young noticed. She walked over and sat next to Will. "Good workout," she complimented him as she sat down. "You work pretty hard at this."

Will snorted. "Yeah. For all _that_ matters."

"More teasing?" Coach Young knew that Will had been teased mercilessly by some of the football team in the past. In fact, many of the non-athlete male students taunted and harassed Will as well over his cheerleading.

"Yeah." Will glanced up at the coach. "You aren't going to … report it, are you? You know what they'll do to me if you do." He sounded like he was pleading.

"No," Coach Young answered easily.

Will looked at the coach, his eyes full of gratitude.

Damn, he thought, she looks so good. Coach Paula was quite attractive in an athletic way. Fit, trim, she had moderate breasts that appeared to have not a millimeter of sag. Her abdomen was perfectly flat, as he'd seen occasionally when she demonstrated a move to the girls and her shirt had lifted. When she wasn't coaching, her hair was layered playfully. In short, she was very sexy. Will swallowed hard and thought about his math class so he wouldn't get hard looking at her.

"Thanks - for trying to understand." He sighed, tossed his water cup in the trash, and stood up. "I guess I can't put this off any longer."

"You aren't thinking about quitting, are you?" the coach asked bluntly. She had a habit of getting straight to the point.

Will gulped; somehow, she knew exactly what he was thinking. "I don't think so," he replied without enthusiasm. "I really like cheering. It's … fun. But ...." He didn't need to complete the sentence.

"Well," the coach said as she stood up, "just keep that in mind and try to ignore them." Her towel slipped off her shoulder, and she automatically bent over to pick it up.

Will felt himself getting aroused as he got a view down her blouse at her firm, creamy breasts. "Okay." He turned and walked slowly back to the boys' locker before he got even more embarrassed at being turned on by the coach.

**********

"Wait up!"

Will halted mid-stride and turned to see who was calling him. Sure enough, he _had_ recognized the voice as belonging to Lana Nguyen, his very good friend since they were in grade school. Lana wasn't on the cheer squad, but she was very supportive of Will's choice of extra-curricular activities. They'd been friends for nearly ten years.

"Practice was tough, wasn't it?" Lana said as she reached his side. Lana was a very attractive Vietnamese girl, with straight black hair hanging down to the small of her back, and almond-shaped eyes. She had not an ounce of extra fat on her. She somehow managed to make even plain clothes look glamorous.

Will resumed walking, now with Lana beside him. "Tougher than most people know," he said morosely.

Lana flinched at the tone of his voice. "They were bad again?"

"It was pretty bad." He sighed. "I don't know if I can keep doing this."

"Sure, you can," Lana said cheerfully.

Will sighed again. The one problem with Lana was that she was always so darned cheerful. He'd never seen her angry or down. If only he could learn the secret of her perpetual cheery mood. "I wish. It's so hard to listen to that, day after day. They have no idea how much work it is or how physical cheering is."

"Maybe they're jealous because you spend more time around the cheerleaders," Lana suggested. "Did you think of that?"

"Hmmph!" Will snorted. "All the girls are interested in is the jocks on the field. They don't pay much attention to me."

"Well, they don't know what they're missing, then."

Will wished that Lana wasn't going steady with Trevor Powell. They'd been friends for too long for him to realize that she was growing into a beauty, and by the time he _had_ noticed, it was too late. She and Trevor had been dating for over a year. Will, on the other hand, had no one. He'd been on only one date, and that had been a disaster. Will knew that his lack of social life was partly due to his being on the cheer squad. It actually hurt his social standing, because most guys thought it was gay, and girls acted as if he _was_ gay.

The walk home was short, so Will bade Lana good-bye with a wave as he walked toward his house. From the cars in the driveway, he knew that his parents were home early. "Great," Will thought to himself. "Another fun evening with super-jock little brother being babied." Will deeply resented the fact that his brother got away with practically everything because he was on the Freshman football team. Will was a Junior, and was merely a cheerleader, which wasn't as important in the eyes of his dad.

The trouble started the moment he walked in the door. He hadn't even dropped his backpack when his dad called to him. "Will? Your mom needs help with dinner."

"Aw, Dad!" Will complained, knowing it would do no good but needing to try. "I've got homework."

"You can do it later. Help your mom."

"Why can't Aiden help out?" Will complained.

"He's studying," his dad replied without looking up.

"Bullshit!" Will swore. "He's just playing his computer games again!"

Will's dad looked up from his computer. "Enough of that language, young man! Now go help your mother, or you'll find yourself grounded!"

Will sighed as he dropped his backpack. He trudged slowly to the kitchen, where his mom was busy trying to get something organized for dinner. With both parents working, and both boys in extra-curricular activities, dinner was always last-minute and hectic.

"Hi, mom," he said without enthusiasm as he trudged into the kitchen. "What can I do to help?"

Will's mom looked up from her task. "Hi, sweetie. How was your day?"

Will snorted derisively. He wished she wouldn't call him "sweetie." It sounded so ... feminine, so unmanly. "Same as usual. It sucked."

Mom flinched. She'd noticed that Will's enthusiasm was waning. "I take it practice didn't go well?"

Will walked to the freezer to get a package of vegetables. "Practice was fine. It's all the other crap that I could do without." He dropped the package of frozen peas on the counter and searched for a pan. "I think I'm going to quit."

"Oh?" Mom was surprised. "I didn't think it was that bad. Can't the coach do anything?"

"Mom," Will tried to explain as he put water in the pan, "last time she tried, I got the crap beat out of me! I asked her _not_ to do anything."

"But … you love cheer squad!"

Will nodded sadly. " I can't take much more of the harassment. I think I'm going to quit after Friday's game."

"Don't make any decisions in haste," Mom cautioned. "You might want to wait a bit."

"Why? It's not like it's going to get any better! No one has any respect for what I do. Not even Dad! He acts like it's some sissy thing, and he favors Aiden!" Will had tried to control his bitterness, but he failed.

Will didn't get along with his dad. Dad had been a star athlete in high school, and, after college, had become a sales manager in a hardware distributing company. While Will was a good student, his interests lay more in languages — he was taking two foreign language electives at Central. Dad seemed to hold those interests in contempt, and it often showed in his attitude toward Will, or so it seemed.

"Will, don't talk like that! You know your dad cares about you!" She didn't sound entirely convincing.

Will _did_ get along with his mother. She worked as a paralegal in a very good law firm, where her fluency in Spanish made her a valuable employee. She understood Will's interests, and thus was sympathetic to him.

"I doubt it. It's like he's reliving his past through Aiden!" Will sighed as he poured the frozen peas into the pan on the stove. "I can't measure up to what _he_ wants to relive, so I'm not important!"

"That's not true."

"That's what it feels like."

"I'll talk to your dad again tonight," she promised.

"I'm not going to hold my breath," Will retorted. "It's never gotten me more than a few days of relief in the past."

His mother smiled. "I can always resort to more … persuasive measures," she said with a wink.

Will felt his stomach churn at the implications of his mother's statement. He _knew_ what she was talking about, and it seemed … wrong.

**********

Will walked with Lana, as usual, on the way home from school. She stayed late for band practice, while he was in cheerleading practice. It was convenient that they could walk to and from school together. They'd been friends, and Lana's cheery mood always seemed to relieve Will's stress. Today, another of the cheerleaders was with them. Nichole Jackson was spending a couple of days staying with Lana because her parents had a family emergency out of town.

"You're really getting that new toss down," Nichole commented cheerfully to Will as they walked. She turned to Lana. "You should see it — it's going to be awesome. And Will is a great catcher!"

Lana laughed. "You're just saying that because he's saving your butt from hitting the turf."

"Well, that, too!" Nichole grinned. She glanced at Will and saw that he was silently staring at the ground ahead of them.

Lana had noticed Will's funk. "How about if we get some ice cream on the way home? I'm feeling a bit in need of chocolate."

Will tried to smile. "You're always in the mood for chocolate."

"Okay, it's settled. We'll stop by Marble Slab, then," Nichole announced.

"A coconut cream shake will cheer you up," Lana said in an effort to cheer up Will.

Fifteen minutes later, the three were sitting in a booth, enjoying their ice cream, or, in Will's case, at least as much as his depressed mood would allow.

"Hi, Nichole." The voice was too familiar to Will; Chip and a few of the jocks had the same idea about a quick stopover.

Nichole looked up, and she almost visibly melted a Chip's impressive physical appearance and the attention he was paying to her. "Hi, Chip," she cooed.

"Are you girls ready for the game Friday night?" he asked, pointedly glancing at Will when he said the word "girls".

Will felt his muscles tense and his jaw clench.

Nichole didn't notice; she was too busy staring dreamy-eyed at Chip. "We'll be cheering while you guys win," she practically purred. Chip had recently broken up with his girlfriend, and it was obvious that Nichole wanted to take her place.

Chip smiled. "Are you doing anything after the game? Some of the guys on the team were thinking the cheerleaders would like to help us celebrate after we win. We're planning a little get-together at Scott's house. Snacks, a movie, music — you know."

Nichole smiled, trying to look like she wasn't as eager as she really was. "I'd love to go," she answered.

Chip smiled again, and then turned to rejoin his buddies.

Will shook his head sadly. "See what I mean?" he asked Lana. "And that was mild."

Lana nodded. "They're pretty mean. What are you going to do? You love being part of the cheer squad."

Nichole had broken her reverie at Chip's attention. "We _need_ you on the squad. You're the only one who can do some of the lifts and catches!"

Will looked sullen. "I'm getting really tired of the abuse," he commented. "And you girls will come up with other routines if I'm not there." He rested his forehead on his interlocked hands, with his elbows resting on the table and his eyes closed. "I can't take any more of their crap." He sighed heavily. "I wish there was a way I could be on the squad and not feel like an outcast."

After they'd finished their various treats, Lana walked home with Will. When she was sure that there were no snooping ears, she asked Will, "Were you serious when you said you wished there was a way to be a cheerleader and fit in?"

Will frowned. "Yeah. Why?" The question seemed odd.

"What if I told you that there might be a way? Are you interested?" Lana continued.

"Well, yeah," Will retorted. "But …." He saw Lana's expression. "What?"

"You don't have practice Saturday, do you?" she asked.

"Of course not, but we've got some family activities. Sunday is free, though."

Lana smiled. "Good. I'll pick you up about ten Sunday morning. Bring your swim trunks."

"Huh? You're not making any sense." Will thought about the weekend. "Better make it noon." He seemed resigned to following Lana's direction, whether he knew what she needed or not.

Lana smiled. "You'll understand Sunday." She turned toward her house, but glanced over her shoulder. "I'll see you at school tomorrow, and then we'll see if we can't help you out this weekend.

**********

"Ready?" Lana's voice was eager and happy — as usual. She acted as if she didn't have some sort of mysterious ‘help' for Will.

Will opened the door of Lana's car and slid into the passenger seat. "I suppose." He started buckling his seat belt. "I'd be happier if I knew exactly _what_ you have in mind."

"Sometimes, you need a little surprise to … shake things up." She put the car in drive and guided the car out of the driveway.

As they pulled into the parking lot, Will's jaw dropped. "Okay, so you brought me to a water park. A water park named Bikini Beach, which, from the looks of it, is full of mostly women. So how is this going to help me?"

Lana smiled as if she knew something that she wasn't going to reveal. "You'll have to trust me on this." She parked the car and got out.

Will followed, and the two walked to the ticket booth. Lana smiled at the young lady working. "Hi."

The girl looked up from her magazine. This late in the day, in early autumn, there weren't many customers, and she looked a little bored. "How can I help you?"

"My friend needs a pass."

"Okay," the girl said. "One day? Since it's after lunch, we have a bit of a discount. "

Lana shook her head. "No, I think we need two weeks."

The girl shrugged. "No problem. And for you?"

Lana smiled. "I'm a lifetime member, thank you." She glanced at Will. "My mom gave it to me for my birthday last year."

The girl quoted a price. Will frowned, but Lana simply smiled and said, "Pay the girl."

Will gave Lana a questioning look, but he pulled out his wallet and paid. "Only because we're friends and I trust you," he commented.

The girl took Will's name, and then entered some data in her computer. In seconds, a plastic card was printed for him. "I hope you have fun. Remember to shower before you go into the park. Health department regulations, you know." She smiled. "And remember, the rides start closing at six thirty."

Will was puzzled by what was happening. Nonetheless, he followed Lana's instructions to change and shower. As he stepped into the shower, he wondered exactly what was going on. A visit to a water park might be a fun way to de-stress, but how was it going to help his social issues?

Will felt the warm, massaging spray, and felt the tension flowing from his body. It was soothing and invigorating at the same time. He barely noticed the mist from the shower — certainly not enough to notice that it had turned a faint pink.

**********

Lana smiled to herself as she heard the scream from the men's locker. The door opened, and a confused girl stepped out into the sunlight, her eyes wide with fright. She had her arm clutched across her chest to hide her breasts.

As Lana stepped toward the girl, she saw an older woman — the owner, from what she remembered - step briskly toward the semi-nude girl. She said a few words that Lana couldn't hear, and she produced a matching bikini top from seemingly nowhere. The girl stared at the top like it was a snake.

"I'll help," Lana volunteered as she neared the two. With the old woman's approving nod, Lana took the bikini top and tied it on the girl.

The old woman nodded approvingly. "That's much better. Now I bet you have a ton of questions."

The girl nodded, her eyes still wide with fear. "That's an understatement."

"Well, Billi, this park is magic. It's intended as a safe haven for women, so the magic changes men."

"Like me?" Billi asked. Her eyes widened at the sound of her own voice. "And why did you call me Billi?"

Lana smiled. "I'm guessing that, in the altered reality, your name _is_ Billi — spelled with an ‘i' like a girl's name." She glanced at the old woman. "Right?"

The old woman nodded. "Yes. Why don't you try it? What's your name?"

Billi frowned. "That's simple. I'm Billi Renee Harding." Her eyes widened as she spoke her name. "That's not right. I'm not Billi, I'm Billi!" She shook her head. "What's going on? Why can't I say my own name?"

"That _is_ your name, at least the way things have changed." She frowned at Lana. "You really should have warned Will of what was going to happen. In Will's case, it was rude." From her words, Lana and Billi both knew she disapproved of how Lana had surprised Billi with the change.

"So what happens now?" Billi asked. "Am I stuck like this?" She sounded frightened.

"You'll be a girl for the duration of your pass. In your case, that's the midnight Saturday, in two weeks."

"Fourteen days — as a girl?"

The old woman gave Lana a disapproving glance. "I have a park to run. Lana, you brought Billi into this, so obviously you know something about how the magic works." She turned back to Billi. "The magic gives you the skills to handle being a girl. A lot of the normal routine will seem second-nature. Slowly, you'll find yourself gaining memories from this current reality. I expect that Lana will be helping you as needed for the next two weeks." She said the last part while glaring at Lana, making it abundantly clear how she felt.

Lana gulped - she realized how _much_ the old woman disapproved of what she'd done. She also understood that it was her responsibility to look after the new girl. "I understand."

The old woman smiled pleasantly at Billi, and then turned to return to her duties.

Billi looked Lana, her eyes full of uncertainty. Billi was a cute girl, Lana observed. She had soft blue eyes accentuating her attractive face. Her brown hair was just past shoulder length, swept to one side and held behind her ear, and the ends curled under just a bit, with just a few ends trimmed to give a slight bit of layering. Billi was tanned, but not too much, and with her flat tummy, modest, perky breasts, and rounding hips, she had a figure that was sure to be a magnet for guys. Her body was well toned, like that of an athlete.

Lana gulped. She actually felt jealous of Billi's figure! Then she realized something else. She was remembering a different past. "She wasn't kidding about the memories. Do you remember when you were selected to be a cheerleader?"

Billi started to speak, but then her eyes widened. "It's … not real! I wasn't selected — it was automatic because I was the only guy, and Coach needed me. But I remember the tryouts, and beating Shelly and Deb for the final spot." She shook her head. "I remember that Shelly is still pissed at me, but Deb didn't take it personally, and she's a good friend." She shook her head. "This is too weird!"

"Yeah," Lana agreed.

"Why?" Billi asked. "Why did you do this?"

Lana sighed. "I wanted to help my best friend," she answered. "I knew how much you loved being on cheer squad, and I didn't like seeing you hurt. I thought that, maybe, if you were a girl, you'd fit in better and have more fun."

Billi nodded. "I appreciate that you tried. But this?" She shook her head. "This is a bit much, isn't it?"

Lana bit her lip. "Yeah, maybe." She perked up. "But since we're here, let's go have some fun."

**********

Billi was nervous as she stepped into the men's locker room. She'd experienced part of the changes — some memories of being a girl occasionally flitted into her mind as she and Lana had played in the water park, but she had no idea of what awaited her from there. How far did the changes go? What was she going to find at home? For that matter, what was she going to find in her locker?

The surprises began with her underwear. Will had plain boxers. Billi hoped for something similarly plain. She found, to her dismay, a lacy pink bikini-cut panty. With no other choice, Billi stepped into the underwear, and found herself almost delighted at how silky smooth the fabric felt against her body. As she pulled them up and automatically adjusted the waistband, she remembered when she'd bought them, and the ‘discussion' she'd had with her mother about growing up, and wanting to feel sexy and attractive. Billi felt a shiver run down her spine; it was another of those shadowy, phantom memories that wasn't real, but felt like it was.

Somehow, Billi knew that her bra came next, and, as she expected, it matched her panty. It was lacy and daring, and as she fastened it, she knew it was a push-up bra, making her bust look larger and more alluring than it already was. She marveled for a moment at how the bra pushed her breasts up and inward, yielding an inviting valley of cleavage. Without realizing she was doing it, she stepped to a mirror and posed, turning from side to side, eyeing her figure critically. As soon as she realized what she was doing, she recoiled in horror.

Billi retreated to her locker and pulled out her shirt. It was a simple knit shirt, in scarlet, that clung tightly to her trim figure, showing off her curves. Its low scoop neckline revealed the cleavage that her bra had enhanced. Finally, she pulled out her pants. To her surprise, they were tight, almost to the point of being uncomfortable. Billi was more surprised when she knew how to wiggle into them, how to breathe deeply so that she could fasten the waistband.

A pair of casual flats completed her ensemble, and then Billi retrieved her purse. Without thinking, she opened it and pulled out a hair brush. Before she knew what she was doing, she was back in front of the mirror untangling her hair. Once that was done, she paused, contemplating whether she should touch up her makeup, or worry about that later, since she and Lana were going straight home. She shuddered when she realized that she was even considering makeup, and she put it away.

She turned to leave, and again, caught a glance at her figure in the mirror. It was like her body was on autopilot. She smiled to herself. She was attractive. And even though Billi knew it was wrong, that she was really Will inside, she found herself pleased at how she looked.

Outside, Lana was waiting. "What took so long?" Lana asked as they began walking across the lot toward Lana's car.

Billi shrugged. "I guess I'm not used to getting dressed — as a girl, I mean."

Lana glanced again. "You … didn't just comb your hair out, did you?" she asked, astonished.

"Um, no," Billi replied hesitantly. "I felt like I was supposed to do it, and … it just happened."

"This is spooky," Lana said.

Billi laughed half-heartedly. "You're telling me? You're not on the receiving end of the magic! It's kind of freaky to think that you need to comb your hair, and then you find yourself blow drying and brushing it!"

**********

"How was the park, dear?" Billi's mom asked as she closed the door. "Did you and Lana have fun?"

Billi breathed a little sigh of relief. Her mom didn't seem to think anything was unusual. "Yeah, it was a blast! Lana wants to go again next weekend."

"Sounds like fun. Maybe I should skip out on my chores and come with you girls!" she said with a laugh. "I need a break every once in a while."

Billi about choked. It was weird enough being at the park and changing into a girl — temporarily. But if her mom went back, she'd change in the same locker with her mom- and see her mom … nude? That was a creepy thought. At the same time, another voice inside Billi said it was perfectly normal for women to change in the same locker room.

"By the way, Jeff called. He said he'd call back."

Billi's eyes widened. Why would Jeff Lowery call her? They didn't share many classes, and she wasn't in band like he was? For a minute, she had a memory that she was Jeff's girlfriend, and that made Billi flinch. She _couldn't be Jeff's girlfriend! "He could have called my cell," Billi replied quickly.

Mom smiled. "He did. You forgot your cell phone this morning - again."

"Oh, yeah. I … uh, forgot to plug it in last night, so I had to leave it on the charger."

Mom laughed. "Sometimes, you don't seem to be thinking — except about boys!"

"I do _not_ spend all my time thinking about boys!" Billi protested, crossing her arms under her breasts and pouting.

"If you say so." Mom decided not to continue the discussion. "I need you to help get dinner ready."

"Why is it always me? Why can't Aiden help tonight?" Some things hadn't changed.

"He spent most of the day over at Troy's house working on their Biology project, and now he's studying."

"No, he didn't," Billi countered. "You know very well that they spent the day playing computer games, and now he's playing more upstairs!" Billi read her mom's expression. "Okay, I'll help. But he's doing dishes, isn't he?"

It was after seven-thirty when Billi got to her room. Fortunately, Aiden had gotten stuck with cleanup — for once - leaving Billi free to do her own homework for Monday — and to call Jeff.

Billi knew there would be changes in her room; after all, reality itself had changed with her. It wasn't surprising that her room now had a feminine touch. It was neat! No messy piles of clothes, and her bed was neatly made. She closed the door and looked around slowly, almost reverently. The bed was covered by a pastel rose bedspread that matched the lacy curtains, and complemented the pink floral wallpaper. Rose and white throw pillows accented the bed.

As her eyes slowly took in the changes to her room, she saw a large dresser beside a matching vanity with its large, well-lit makeup mirror. Where the vanity stood used to be Will's stereo. Her stereo, by contrast, was a simple combination radio and CD player that sat on one bed table. There was a neat stack of CDs next to the player; Billi did _not_ want to look at the music for fear of what she'd find.

Her closet doors were closed; out of curiosity, she opened them and stared wide-eyed at the assortment of clothes. Casual dresses, blouses, a couple of skirts, a couple of more formal dresses — in a variety of colors and styles. Even as she scanned the hangers, she was recalling what she'd wear to what occasions. Billi flinched at how natural it all seemed.

Billi feared looking through the dresser. She'd already had enough surprises at the park when she saw the effects of the magic on her clothes and her purse. Her identity _had_ been changed on her license and school ID, just as the old woman had said. A wallet had become a well-stocked purse, complete with a couple of emergency sanitary napkins — to Billi's shock and dismay. But even without looking, she _knew_ that her dresser would have underwear — bras and panties, hose, socks — all clothing items that, until a few hours ago, had been totally alien. What was more, she knew which drawers contained what.

As she stood, transfixed at what all had changed, her cell phone rang. She picked it up from her nightstand, where it had been charging all day, and answered it.

"Hello?" She was nervous — she didn't know what else had changed in her life.

It was Jeff Lowery. "Hi, Billi."

For some reason, Billi's heart fluttered at the sound of his voice. "Mom said you called earlier." Billi flopped down on her bed, cell phone to her ear. "

"Yeah, but you weren't home. Your mom said something about a water park."

"Lana took me to the water park on the edge of town. We had a blast."

"I wish I'd have had a chance to go," Jeff said wistfully. "I was stuck at my grandmother's house all day, for my uncle's fiftieth birthday party. It was _so_ boring." Jeff wasn't a jock, like Chip. He played drums in the marching band.

Billi practically choked on Jeff's wish. "No," she thought to herself, "you really _don't_ want to go to that park." For some reason, the thought of Jeff turning into a girl made her sad. And as soon as that thought flitted through her brain, Billi rationalized that, as a former guy, she didn't think it fair for _any_ guy to be changed into a girl! At least, that's what she tried to convince herself was the reason behind her thinking. Billi was wondering how to proceed with the call. She was on unfamiliar territory with talking to Jeff.

"Anyway," he continued, "we missed you at the post-game party Friday."

Billi sorted through the ‘created' memories. "I missed it, too. But you know how family stuff can get in the way."

"You're telling me? You'll be at the party this next week, won't you?" Like the football team, the band usually had a post-game get-together to relax. The two crowds didn't mix very much. Jeff seemed eager to have her attend.

Billi felt strange. Jeff was interested in her? That seemed so … wrong. And yet, she felt a strange warmth within her. Why did she feel a thrill at the thought of being close to Jeff? Was it one of the effects of the magic? Did she _want_ to be with Jeff? She shook her head to clear the unwelcome thoughts. She couldn't be attracted to Jeff!

"I'll have to check with my folks."

Jeff sounded relieved that Billi hadn't said no. "Tell your mom that my parents will be there chaperoning, too. And my Mom will make sure that there won't be any alcohol."

Billi frowned. Was that a detail or memory that she was supposed to have, but somehow didn't? She realized that she was going to have to be cautious. "Of course," she explained quickly, "but I know Mom and Dad are going to ask."

"So I'll see you Friday night?"

"I'll see you at school tomorrow, silly," she said with a giggle. "Unless you were planning on skipping school!"

After she finally hung up, Billi lay on the bed wondering why she had felt so giddy when Jeff wanted to make sure she was at the party. She felt as if he'd asked her out on a date, and the thought made her nervous. But it wasn't a real date, she told herself over and over. It was just a post-game party. Billi knew that she shouldn't feel like she did. She sighed — this magic reality-changing stuff was confusing at times.

**********

Billi and Lana walked quickly down the hall; they only had a few minutes between classes, and had to hurry, since their chemistry class was on the opposite end of the school building. Billi was wearing a pair of light blue jeans, and a white, tight-fitting knit shirt with a deep V-neck. In the back of her mind, she knew that one of the older female teachers had warned her that it was too revealing. Billi laughed at the memory — the principal, afraid of a lawsuit, had backed down and allowed Billi to continue wearing the shirt, even if it was a bit risqué. This morning, she'd really _wanted_ to wear the shirt. To her horror, she found herself hoping that boys would notice.

"Hi, Billi," a familiar voice called out.

Billi turned, knowing it was Jeff even before she saw him. He quick-stepped to catch up to her. "Hi." She wasn't quite sure what else to say, and for some reason, her tongue seemed tied. Will had _never_ been at a loss for words.

"Are you going for ice cream after practice tonight?" Jeff asked, making small talk. He was trying hard to be subtle about looking at her cleavage, and failing.

Billi noticed where his attention was focused, and she smiled, delighted. Billi nodded, but inwardly, she felt nervous. She wasn't sure she could handle being a girl on the squad. "I don't know. Lana and I hadn't decided."

"I hope you can make it. Maybe I can give you a ride home, and you'll have an excuse to let me buy you a shake?" he asked hopefully.

"Uh, Lana and I always walk home together," Billi replied quickly. "Ever since we were little girls." Now she was remembering being a little girl? And calling herself a girl? "Besides, practice is going to be longer this week. We're trying to learn a couple of new routines. I'm a little nervous about not messing up, because the routines are complicated."

"You'll do fine," Jeff said reassuringly. "Just like you always do." His voice had a dreamy, admiring tone, as if he was certain that Billi was perfect, and that it was his job to keep reminding her.

"Well, I still get nervous," Billi said humbly. It was the truth, even if she was now female; Will had always worried about missing a catch or a toss, and injuring one of the girls.

"Hi, Jeff," a passing girl called.

Jeff stiffened a bit. "Hi, Shelly," he answered. "Going to Gorki's math class?"

"Yes," Shelly, one of the girls that Billi had beat out for a spot on the squad, answered. "I thought you were going there, too!"

Jeff smiled. "I am. I just had a couple of things to do before class."

"I see." Shelly frowned. "I don't see you around much, Billi. Except at games when you're cheerleading." Her eyes were shooting daggers at Billi.

Billi was startled by Shelly's reaction. "No," Billi admitted, suddenly feeling uneasy. "I try to keep busy."

Shelly flashed another smile at Jeff before turning for her class. "I'll see you in class, Jeff."

"What's with her?" Lana asked.

Jeff laughed. "I guess she wishes that she hadn't broken up with me." He put his arm around Billi's shoulder. "She's just jealous."

Billi felt a wonderful tingling inside as Jeff held her close, and at his words and actions that implied _strongly_ that Jeff was interested in her. She slowly realized that the memories and thoughts of being Jeff's girlfriend were _more_ than just random thoughts in this reality. She _was_ Jeff's girlfriend, at least as far as Jeff was concerned. She felt a cold shiver run down her spine, even as she felt a thrill in her heart.

"I've got to run to class."

Billi nodded. "Yeah, me, too."

Jeff smiled, and then he glanced up and down the halls. He bent forward and gave Billi a quick kiss on her lips. "I guess I'll see you at the malt shop."

Billi felt her knees wobble as her whole body tingled. She watched Jeff walk to class.

"Wow!" Lana commented dryly. "He's really into you."

"No, I don't think so," Billi said as if trying to convince herself.

Lana laughed. "Yeah, right."

The two girls resumed walking toward their class. "This is weird," Billi said. "Even though it never happened, I can remember when Jeff and Shelly broke up, and the next weekend, he asked me out."

"Yeah," Lana agreed. "And Shelly has hated you ever since." She laughed. "Good thing she's not on the team. I know she'd miss catching you on purpose just to get even!" She glanced at Billi, at the starry-eyed expression on her face. "You _really_ liked it when he kissed you, didn't you?"

"Uh," Billi stammered, "No. I didn't! I can't!" She was fighting her feelings that were alien and yet so familiar. The memories of her first date with Jeff, and the first time he kissed her, seemed so real.

Lana tried to laugh. "You've got girl hormones running through you now. It's no wonder that you're getting all goo-goo over Jeff." She grinned. "He's really cute!"

Billi sighed. She was so confused. "I don't get it," she said. "Today has been _so_ weird so far."

"How?" Lana asked. "Besides you getting all lovesick whenever he looked at you!" she teased.

Billi frowned. "That's not supposed to happen!" She saw Lana's smile, and knew that her friend was teasing. "When he kissed me, it felt weird, and at the same time, so wonderful." She shook her head. "Am I gay?"

Lana laughed. "I don't think so. I think your female hormones and memories are just getting the better of you."

"And some of the girls — they seem so ... catty!" Billi continued.

"Of course," Lana said with a grin. "You're on the cheer squad. You're more popular than a lot of them are. You've got a great boyfriend. Why _wouldn't_ they be envious?" She glanced up and down Billi's figure. "And you're one of the best looking girls in school, too."

"Was it just me, or was Shelly a bit bitchier than normal?" Billi asked as they walked.

Lana laughed. "You and Shelly have always been rivals. If you have something, she wants to have it. For some reason, she decided that she has to prove herself better than you."

"And her interest in Jeff?"

"That's only because he's _your_ boyfriend. If she got him pried away from you, she'd drop him within two weeks." Lana smiled at her. "If you think about it, you'll find those memories inside you, just like I do."

**********

Lana giggled when she saw Billi scanning the cars parked near ice cream shop. "Jeff is here, isn't he?"

Billi caught herself. "Uh, I'm not sure. I was just … seeing how many people were here."

"Right," Lana said sarcastically. "Face it, Billi, you've really got a thing for him."

"No, I don't!" Billi felt like crying. "I _can't_!" she complained. "I'm … so confused!"

Lana stopped and put her hand on Billi's shoulder. "You're okay. Just go with it."

"But … what if …?"

Lana gave her a quick hug for reassurance. "Don't try to over-analyze things. You're just a girl, on the East High cheer squad, going with your friend for a soda after practice. That's all. Just take it as it comes."

Billi hugged Lana. "Thanks."

Lana smiled. "And he _is_ here. In fact, he's looking out the window for you."

Billi spun toward the shop window, her eyes scanning for Jeff. "Are you sure?"

Lana laughed. "No. But I got your attention. Now let's go get a soda."

The two girls walked to the counter. "Two diet cokes," Billi ordered. "Medium."

After getting their sodas, the girls sat down at an empty table. "Are we going to the water park again next Saturday?" Billi asked hopefully. "It was fun."

Lana smiled. "I wasn't sure if you'd _ever_ want to go near that place again!"

Billi laughed. "What _more_ can they do to me?" Then she had a thought, and a frown crossed her features. "On second thought, I don't want to know what else they could do. But the park was a lot of fun."

"Maybe. It could be a fun …" Lana's eyes widened as she stopped talking suddenly. "He's coming over."

"Jeff?"

"Yeah."

Billi turned to see Jeff over her shoulder. "May I join you?" he asked politely.

Billi wanted to scream, "Of course!" but she kept her emotions in check. "Sure," she said as she slid toward the wall, giving him room beside her. She was trying to sound non-committal, but she feared that she was failing.

Jeff looked at Lana. "Trevor told me that he was taking you to a movie Saturday night."

Lana nodded. "Yeah. We're going out for pizza and then to a movie."

Jeff glanced at Billi. "I wish that _I_ had a date Saturday night," he said, giving Lana a wink.

"Maybe you would," Billi shot back playfully, "if you'd _ask_ somebody!" She smiled demurely.

Lana couldn't help laughing. Everybody knew that the two of them always joked around as if they were still flirting, even though they were going steady. It added a bit of playfulness to their relationship. "Why _haven't_ you asked, yet?" she teased Jeff. "Or is a big, strong man afraid of asking a pretty girl to on a date?"

"For your information," Jeff rebutted, "this big, strong man already talked to Trevor, and he thought it would be a great idea to double-date!" Satisfied that he'd won the verbal sparring match with Lana, he turned back toward Billi.

"Um," Billi cleared her throat, "don't you think you're forgetting something?" She couldn't believe what she was saying. She was practically begging Jeff to ask her on a date!

Jeff realized what Lana had done. He shot her a quick glare, and then turned back to Billi. "Um, I was wondering, if, you know, we could go on a double-date with Trevor and Lana on Saturday?"

"Uh," Billi stammered, "I'm not sure if I'm free, or if ...." She winced suddenly as Lana kicked her under the table. "Ow! On second thought, my social calendar is open on Saturday." She smiled and batted her eyes at Jeff. "I'd love to go with you to a movie!"

Jeff grinned, and then leaned over and kissed Billi on her lips. She felt like she was in heaven.

When the kiss ended, Billi lifted her lips toward Jeff. "Are you sure you don't need another one, just to make sure?"

"You don't want to make a scene, do you?" Jeff said light-heartedly.

Billi smiled. "Yes." She kissed him again, a little longer this time.

**********

"Why don't you just admit that you _really_ like Jeff?" Lana asked as they walked toward their homes.

"I … guess I do," Billi said hesitantly. "What's wrong with me?"

Lana smiled. "Nothing. You're a normal girl. Jeff is a very good looking guy. It's normal that you're attracted to him."

"But …." Billi started to protest. "I'm not a normal girl! Or at least, I don't think I am."

"In this reality," Lana countered, "you are."

"That's what feels so weird! It's like, looking at somebody else's memories. I remember the first time Jeff asked me out, after he broke up with Shelly. I remember when you and I used to have sleep-overs." She shook her head. "But none of that stuff happened!"

"I remember it, too, so it _must_ have happened. Oh, and speaking of sleep-overs, you are staying at my place Saturday, aren't you?"

Billi frowned. "But … when this ends, won't that be kind of … awkward?"

Lana laughed. "I talked to the park owner about it. She said that, when things change back, you'll remember staying at a friend's house, and I'll remember having one of my girlfriends stay with me. Neither of us will remember anything that could be, um, embarrassing."

**********

Billi was terrified. She'd been nervous at cheer practices and games before, but she was always the thrower or catcher, and practice wasn't in front of a large crowd. Now, _she_ was being lifted and tossed. All it would take would be a tiny slip, a small error in timing, and she'd be injured, and given the nature of the routines, possibly badly. She pushed those thoughts from her mind, so she could focus on the routine.

As soon as she quit thinking, she acted. It was all natural, as if she'd done it for years. She wasn't trying to move; she was letting her body, her muscle-memories, move for her. The routines were perfect. Billi was stunned by what she'd done; she hadn't thought it possible. After all, what Will used to do took strength, but not nearly as much balance and acrobatic skill as what she'd just done.

After the game, the cheer coach called the girls around. "That was good," she said, encouraging her girls. "I wasn't sure about a couple of the moves, but it came out okay."

Billi spoke before she knew what she was saying. "Nothing against you guys," she began, "but I'd feel a lot safer if we had a couple of boys on the squad doing the tosses and catches." She flinched inwardly as she realized exactly what she'd just said.

Nichole laughed. "Yeah, so would I. But where would we find guys?"

Tori nodded. "You know how it would go. Any guy who wanted to be on cheer squad would have to put up with lots of crap. You know, called a sissy boy, girly-man, or gay — all that kind of stuff."

Ashley agreed. "And how embarrassing would you feel if a guy was accidentally touching you in ... private areas?"

Billi was stunned. She hadn't considered _that_ angle before. She'd known — as Will — that being a male cheerleader led to taunting. "Maybe," she didn't back down on her opinion, "but I'd still feel safer."

The coach nodded. "We're doing okay. I wish we had some guys, too, but, well, we just can't get any interested." She stood up. "We've got a couple of rough spots to work on in practice next week, but overall, I think it went well. Have a good weekend." She turned and left the girls' locker room.

"So, are you going out with Jeff tomorrow night?" Nichole asked Billi as soon as the coach was out of sight.

Billi smiled as she pulled off her skirt. "Yeah. We're double-dating with Lana and Trevor."

"That'll cut down on the fun," Nichole commented sarcastically.

"Have you and Jeff, you know?" Suzie asked softly.

"Um," Billi hesitated to answer; the memories weren't always clear, and she wasn't _sure_ of the answer. "Isn't that kind of personal?"

Tori laughed. "If _I_ was his girlfriend, you bet your ass that _I'd_ do it with him! He's really … cute. And he's so ... well built!" Her voice had a lyrical tone, as if she was speaking from a daydream.

"Let's get showered and to the party," Nichole suggested, relieving Billi of the need to continue the embarrassing conversation.

At the party, Billi found herself desperately wanting to find an out-of-the-way place where she and Jeff could make out. Unfortunately, as expected, the parents chaperoning the party had anticipated teen-age hormones and kept a presence in those areas where teens might otherwise find privacy. Billi got home late, after getting a serious good-night kiss from Jeff when he dropped her off. She slept well, dreaming of fairy-tale princesses, herself as a damsel in distress, and Jeff as a knight on a white horse coming to rescue her and sweep her off her feet.

**********

Saturday, Lana picked up Billi and they headed to the Lynnwood Mall. Billi wasn't sure about shopping, but Lana insisted. After all, they'd been friends from grade school, and did practically _everything_ together. When they left the mall, Billi was stunned at how long they'd spent shopping, trying on clothes, talking, and generally making what she thought should have been a simple trip into a full-day fun outing with a friend.

Carrying the outfit she'd purchased, Billi, followed by Lana, walked into her house.

"Did you girls have fun?" Billi's mom asked cheerfully.

"Yeah," Billi answered.

"Hi, Mrs. Harding." Lana was her usual chipper, gregarious self.

"Hi, Lana. You didn't let Billi spend all our money, did you?" Mom liked Lana almost as much as her own daughter. Their banter was friendly and warm.

"Not too much," Lana said with a giggle. "You know how she hates to buy new outfits!"

Mom laughed. "Don't I know it! And it's sometimes so hard to get her to make up her mind!"

"Mom!" Billi protested with a pout. "I'm not _that_ bad!"

"Sometimes, honey, you are," Mom replied as she walked over and gave Billi a kiss on her forehead. "Sometimes." She glanced at Lana. "Are you two staying for dinner before your date, or are you eating at your place?"

"The boys are taking us out to dinner," Lana answered. "And then we'll go to a movie."

"As long as you're home before curfew," Mom reminded them.

"Don't worry, Mrs. Harding," Lana replied. "My mom and dad are even more strict about curfew than Billi gets away with, so we'll be home at a decent time."

"Well, then, I guess I'll see you tomorrow morning sometime," Mom said to Billi.

"Probably tomorrow afternoon late," Billi said. "We're going to Bikini Beach tomorrow."

Mom rolled her eyes in a way that Lana could see. "I swear, you're already trying to get your father and I used to you never being around, for when you go off to college!"

"I'm not _that_ bad, Mom!" Billi protested. She turned, and with Lana following her, marched through the kitchen, up the stairs, and to her room.

"Okay," Lana prompted as she sat on Billi's bed, "we've got to get your things and get to my place, because we'll have to get ready before the boys pick us up."

"How long can it take to get a few things together?" Billi asked. "I need a change of underwear, my swim suit for tomorrow, and a change of clothing."

Lana rolled her eyes. "As if!" She walked to Billi's closet and opened the sliding door. Quickly, she began to sort through the clothes, eyeing some outfits more critically than others. She pulled down a blouse. "This is pretty. You _have_ to bring this."

"Why?" Billi asked, confused.

"Because I want to see how it looks on me, silly," Lana replied. "That's part of a sleep-over — swapping clothes!"

Billi sighed. "That's _another_ thing that you didn't warn me about!"

"What are you going to wear tonight?" Lana asked as she continued sorting through Billi's clothes.

"I thought I'd wear something simple, like the long-sleeve pullover, with a pair of jeans."

Lana rolled her eyes again. "I don't think so," she said sarcastically. "Wear the dress you got today."

Billi opened the box and took out the dress. It was sleeveless, with a delicate purple floral print. The bodice looked like a modified halter top, with a deep V neckline and tying like a bikini behind the neck. "I don't know," she said hesitantly. "Isn't it kind of … bold?"

Lana grinned. "That's what makes it perfect! You'll be a knockout. You _do_ want to impress Jeff, don't you?"

"But … it'll get chilly, and the top is … kind of revealing."

Lana glanced at Billi's bedroom door, ensuring it was still shut. "When you get chilly, you'll have an excuse to have him wrap his arm around you."

Billi felt a tremble of excitement as she thought about Jeff's arm keeping her warm. It was a very pleasant feeling, a warmth radiating from her belly and making her nipples tingle.

"And, if you _want_, he can easily … touch and play — upstairs I mean," Lana continued. She saw Billi's eyes half-close, saw her breathing deepen. "And I'm willing to bet that thought has you kind of … excited?"

Billi's eyes snapped open. "No," she lied half-heartedly. In truth, she _was_ thinking about being close to Jeff, and the thoughts were leading to naughtier ideas. "I'm not supposed to think like that!"

Lana grinned. "But you _are_ going to wear it, aren't you?"

BIlli looked down, biting her lip. "Uh, huh," she muttered. She knew that, after Lana's suggestions, there was no way she _wouldn't_ wear the dress on the date.

"Let's finish gathering up some things so we can get going." With Lana's help, Billi selected some more outfits and piled them on her bed. As Billi sorted through her underwear, following Lana's suggested to get her naughtiest, sexiest undies for ‘show and tell' comparison, Lana looked at Billi's nighties.

Lana held up a lace nightie. "You have _got_ to bring this!" she squealed. "This is so darling! I bet you look like a million bucks in it!"

Billi had given up on convincing Lana that she should be practical and pack light. "I was just going to bring my old nightie."

"I want to see what I look like in it, too," Lana stated as she put the nightie on the bed. "And I bet Jeff would give his left arm to see you wearing it!"

Billi blushed; she'd been thinking the exact same thing as Lana held the nightie up. "You can bet that he _won't_ see me in it any time soon! I won't be a girl long enough to get to the point where he _could_ see it on me!"

Lana laughed. "We'll see."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Billi retorted sternly.

Lana shrugged innocently. "Nothing. It's just that, well, you're doing so well as a girl. It seems natural for you. I was just thinking that you might decide to stay as Billi."

"Not likely." Billi's response was quick, and her tone was harsh.

They finished packing, with few words. Lana had broached a subject that, obviously, was sensitive to Billi, and from Billi's reaction, she knew that she'd overdone it. Finally, after a few uncomfortably silent minutes, when the car was stopped at a traffic light, Lana turned to Billi. "I'm sorry," she said softly. "I shouldn't have said that."

Billi felt her heart soften. "I know. You didn't mean it. I'm sorry I over-reacted." She looked at Lana and smiled. "We _are_ still best friends, right?"

Lana nodded, smiling. "Yeah."

"And sometimes, friends do or say something that hurts, but it doesn't mean that they're not still friends, right?"

"And you're still my best friend, and I'm very sorry."

Billi felt herself getting a little choked up. She didn't know if it was due to her female hormones. "So, what are _you_ going to wear for Trevor? Something slinky and revealing? Or are you going to wear something plain?"

"You know that blouse with the rose trim? And the rose Capri pants? The ones I thought you should bring for us to try?"

"You've got something like that to wear?" Billi asked.

"No, silly," Lana replied. "That's what I ‘m going to wear! Why else do you think I insisted you bring that outfit?"

"But … you have a ton of pretty outfits to wear!" Billi wondered how she knew that Lana had stylish clothes.

"Do you know how long I've been envious of that outfit?" Lana asked with a giggle. "Now I get to try it!"

Billi laughed. "Okay. But I'm going to get even by borrowing one of your outfits! Maybe that nice lavender silk blouse of yours. I bet I'd look good in it."

Lana smiled. "Yeah, I bet you _would_ look good in it! Maybe even better than me - which is why I shouldn't let you borrow it!" She grinned. "But, since we're friends, I will," she added as she pulled her car into her driveway.

"Very generous."

Lana was already out of her car. "Let's get your stuff up in my bedroom."

"Then what?" Billi asked, perplexed. "We've got a couple of hours until the boys pick us up."

Lana smiled. "We'll find something to do, and then we'll have to start getting ready."

Lana's idea of "something to do" was modeling clothes, and more specifically, Billi's.

When Lana pulled off her knit shirt to change, Billi couldn't help flinching. Lana noticed, and giggled. "I bet you've wanted to see me like this for a long time!"

Billi gulped. "Uh, yeah, I suppose."

"But I bet it's not quite like you'd imagined it, is it?" Lana laughed.

Billi shook her head. "It just seems ... normal - like it's no big deal."

"Remember what I told you? You're reacting like a normal girl."

"But it seems ... weird!"

Lana got a huge grin. "Okay, let's take it up a notch." She turned to her dresser and pulled out a teddy. "Here. Let's see what you look like in this."

Billi held up the garment like it was a rattlesnake. "You're ... you're kidding, right?"

"No. Let's see how you look."

Feeling a bit self-conscious, Billi turned away from Lana to take off her shirt, which caused Lana to laugh. "Turn around. We're both girls here."

Billi, her shirt half-off, turned slowly toward Lana. "Okay, see?" she asked sarcastically as she finished removing the shirt. She dropped her shirt and spread her arms, displaying her torso and the lacy lavender demi-bra she was wearing.

Lana's eyes widened. "Wow! You're wearing a lot sexier bra than I would have guessed! Matching panties, too?"

Billi nodded, feeling suddenly no longer embarrassed. "I figured ...."

Lana grinned. "I bet you wanted to feel sexy for Jeff tonight, right?"

Billi blushed. "How'd you know?"

"Every girl wants to feel sexy sometimes." She held out the teddy. "So, go ahead."

Billi knew she couldn't get out of Lana's request. Besides, she knew that Lana was right — she was enjoying feeling feminine and attractive. She unbuttoned her shorts and slid them down her legs, stepping out of them, before she took the teddy. She saw Lana roll her eyes, and realized that the bra had to come off, too. Sighing, she reached behind herself and, managing to pull the strap down a bit, unclasped her bra. In short order, she had wriggled into the teddy, and was staring at herself in the mirror.

"You look _hot_, girl," Lana said simply. "Jeff would give anything to see you like that!"

Billi imagined herself modeling the sleepwear for Jeff. She started to feel warm and tingly again. After reveling in the feelings for a few seconds, she suddenly realized _what_ she was thinking, and took control of her emotions. "I don't think _any_ guy is going to see me wearing this," she said firmly, forcing herself to deny what she was really thinking.

"So then why are you acting like a model, showing off your body in that lacy thing?" Lana asked with a big grin. "I bet you're feeling kind of excited by how you look, though, and by thinking about Jeff."

Billi blushed, and she turned away from the mirror. Quickly, she took off the teddy and retrieved her underwear. "I was _not_!" she protested.

Lana shrugged her shoulders. She didn't want to push Billi too much. "Are you going to wear that new dress tonight?"

Billi was putting on her bra. "I was kind of thinking I would."

"You can't wear _that_ bra with it," Lana explained.

Billi thought for a moment, then she swore. "Damn! I forgot to get a strapless bra!" There was the magic again — helping her know what she _should_ have brought to wear with the dress. She sighed. "I guess I'll wear something else."

Lana reached inside Billi's suitcase. "Ta da!" she giggle as she pulled out a bra. "I didn't see you get one from your dresser when you were packing, so I took the liberty of slipping it into your suitcase — just in case you wanted to wear the dress."

"I don't know whether to thank your or yell at you," Billi laughed. "I bet you wanted me to wear the new dress from the moment we saw it, didn't you? You were planning this all along?"

"And you didn't protest, at least, not too much! I figured all this girl stuff was new, and I just wanted to be sure to be helpful." She tossed the bra back on the suitcase and turned to her closet. "I've got a silk dress you have _got_ to try on!" She pulled out a long blue dress with a pale blue print, and held it up for Billi to see.

Billi laughed. "I noticed that _you're_ not doing any modeling. Are you a bit nervous about whether the magic works like you were told?"

Lana stuck her tongue out at Billi. "I trust the lady who told me. She owns the place!"

Billi pulled out the pants and blouse that Lana had said she wanted to wear. "Okay, then prove it. Let's see how _you_ look in these!" she said with a playful grin.

**********

"I heard the doorbell," Lana said, as she pulled on her blouse.

"We'd better hurry, then," Billi seemed a bit panicked.

Lana laughed lightly. "No. Dad and Trevor will talk a bit, and Dad's probably got a football game on the TV, so we can take our time. Besides," she said impishly, "when have you _ever_ known a girl to be ready for a date on time?"

Lana finished buttoning her blouse, and then turned to her vanity. She brushed her hair lightly to straighten it, and then she fastened her long hair at the back of her head, using long strands of hair from the front to anchor the sides. A simple barrette held the whole thing in place.

Billi was having second thoughts about her dress. "I don't know," she said hesitantly. "It's kind of daring, isn't it?"

"It's adorable," Lana reassured her. "You'll have Jeff's attention all night long. That's what you want, isn't it?"

Billi blushed. "Yeah."

A few minutes later, after they'd finished their hair and touching up their makeup, the girls came down the stairs. As expected, Lana's dad and the two boys were watching a football game. The boys were sitting on a sofa, their backs to the stairs and their eyes glued to the television.

"Ahem," Lana cleared her throat.

Both boys' heads swiveled, and Billi noted, with an inner delight, that Jeff's eyes lit up as he gawked at her.

"Wow!" Jeff said softly "You look … great!"

Trevor was equally taken with how Lana looked in the borrowed outfit. "Yeah," he added, as if in a trance at her beauty. "What he said."

In the background, the announcer's voice rose in pitch. "He's going deep — into double coverage. It's .... How did he catch that? That was the most impossible TD reception I've seen in …."

"You missed the big play," Billi said with a smile.

"Huh?" Jeff's eyes were still riveted to her.

Lana laughed. "Big catch, touchdown, last second score to win! You missed it."

Trevor sighed. "I'm not missing _anything_!"

Billi glanced at Lana and giggled. "Shall we go?"

The boys stood, and still staring at the girls, stumbled around the sofa toward the staircase. "Yeah."

Since Jeff was driving, he opened the front passenger-side door for Billi, and held his hand in a gentlemanly fashion to help her in. Trevor and Lana climbed into the back seats.

"I hope you pay more attention to driving than you did to the football game," Billi giggled.

"Football game?"

"Yeah," Lana laughed. "Who won?"

Jeff smiled. "Doesn't matter."

"Good answer," Billi said with a smile. Inwardly, she was delighted by the effect she was having on Jeff — he obviously found her very attractive, enough so that he missed a great play in a football game. At the same time, she was shocked at how she felt. This _was_, after all, only temporary. "Where are you taking us for dinner?"

Jeff smiled. "We got reservations at Giordano's," he said proudly.

Billi's and Lana's eyes widened when he announced the location. "That's … pretty expensive, isn't it? I thought we were just going out for pizza!"

Trevor smiled, his gaze still fixed on Lana. "You're worth it."

Billi was so awestruck by the attention Jeff was paying her, and the ambiance of the restaurant, that she barely remembered what she ate. She hardly remembered the movie's plot as they sat close, her head resting on Jeff's shoulder, his arm around her, holding her, making her feel safe and secure. At one point, when the leading lady was passionately kissed by the leading man, Billi looked up toward Jeff at the same time he glanced at her, and the two met in their own kiss. They missed a few scenes of the film as they continued kissing. Billi felt like she was floating on clouds as they left the theater.

Unfortunately for her, or perhaps fortunately, given how Billi was feeling, they'd had to see a later showing of the movie after their dinner. By the time they got out of the theater, the boys had just enough time to drop off the girls and get themselves home before the midnight curfew.

Because it was a double-date, and because Lana was giving Trevor a good-night kiss in the back seat, Jeff and Billi got out and walked, hand in hand, toward the front of the car. It was just a tiny bit more private than kissing in the car with Trevor and Lana.

"I had fun," Billi said as she paused and turned toward Jeff, taking both his hands. The invitation was blatant.

Jeff didn't miss the implied request. He kissed Billi again, long and with feeling.

Billi dropped Jeff's hands and wrapped her arms around his neck, holding him close, as she felt herself pressing her breasts against him. She felt a very pleasant warmth within her, a tingling delight that was spreading from her breasts and crotch. She wanted Jeff to kiss her all night long — and more.

Alas, when the bells of St. Martha's church sounded, Billi dropped her hands. "I guess you've got to go, so you're not late."

"Yeah."

Lana and Trevor obviously had the same thought; they crawled out of the back of Jeff's car, pausing for another quick kiss, before Lana walked toward the house, while Trevor climbed into the passenger seat.

"Are you doing anything tomorrow?" Jeff asked as he tried to prolong the moment.

"Lana and I are probably going to the water park again," Billi said, equally reluctant to let Jeff out of her sight.

"Sounds like fun. Maybe you two would like some company, tomorrow? We can double-date again," he said hopefully.

"Uh, we're going to go shopping first, and I don't know when we'll get to the park." A few days ago, Billi wouldn't have cared if Jeff was turned into a girl. Now, she was horrified at the thought. "You know how long it takes girls to go shopping!"

Jeff smiled. "I know. Talk to you in school Monday?"

"If you don't call me tomorrow." Billi gave him a quick kiss, and then walked to the door, pausing to wave as Jeff pulled the car out of the driveway.

Lana's dad was sitting in his recliner, reading a novel, when they walked in the front door. He didn't take his focus from the book. "You're a few minutes early," he observed.

"Hi, Daddy," Lana said as she pranced over and gave him a kiss on his forehead.

"Must have been a good date," he commented dryly.

"They took us to Giordano's, and then a movie," Lana explained.

"So, was the food as good as they say? Or did your dates pay a lot for ambiance?"

"You're just too practical, Daddy," Lana teased. "It was … romantic."

"Romance doesn't fill the belly," her dad rebutted philosophically.

"Mom says that you were _very_ romantic when you were dating her."

Her dad chuckled. "That was three children and a mortgage ago. We're _both_ getting more practical."

"I bet the romance is still there," Billi suggested in jest. "I bet if you took your wife to Giordano's, she'd find it just as impractical and fun."

"Why? Her birthday is past. Our anniversary isn't for three months."

"Engineers!" Lana rolled her eyes. "Always trying to be practical."

"Who says you need a reason?" Billi continued.

"Good night, girls," Lana's dad ended the conversation as he focused his attention back on his book.

As they came up the stairs, Lana's mom peeked into the hall. "Did you girls have fun?"

Lana nodded. "Yeah, we did. We went to Giordano's for dinner, and then to the movie."

"Giordano's? That must have been nice." Lana's mom sounded wistful, as if she were remembering a time when _she_ had been the recipient of such attention. After a moment, she broke her reverie. "It's late, so you two need to get ready for bed. I'm not dumb enough to tell you to go to sleep, because I know you'll be up talking for a couple of hours."

"Good night, Mom," Lana said as she gave her mom a quick hug.

Lana and Billi went into Lana's room, closing the door behind them. Lana flopped down on her bed. "You're going to have to tell me _everything_ that happened!"

Billi feigned innocence. "Nothing happened! You were there — you saw!" She sat down on the end of Lana's bed, her back propped against the headboard and her legs crossed.

Lana laughed. "I saw you two kissing! That didn't look like ‘nothing'!"

Billi blushed. "So I let him kiss me … once."

"More than once, I think." She hopped off her bed and opened her dresser, tossing the pale blue teddy to Billi. "I think you should wear this tonight."

Billi frowned. "Why this?"

"Because you feel sexy and hot after making out with Jeff, that's why."

Billi shrugged, knowing that she was going to lose the battle with Lana. Lana _always_ managed to win. "Okay, I guess. But what are you going to wear? Flannel granny jammies?"

"Hardly," Lana giggled. She pulled out a lacy pink baby-doll nightie and held it up to herself for Billi to see. "What do you think of this?"

Billi wrinkled her nose. "Pink isn't your color."

Lana stuck out her tongue playfully. "You're just jealous! You saw how good I looked in your outfit tonight!"

Billi laughed. "Maybe." She wrinkled her nose. "This is weird," she added. "Talking about clothes, and what colors look best on you or me?" She shook her head.

Lana stripped and then pulled on the nightie. "So, how was it?"

"Nice restaurant. Good movie."

"No, silly," Lana chided. "How was the date? Holding hands, kissing, all of that? Did you enjoy _that_ part?"

"I … I didn't really think about it," Billi lied.

Lana wasn't buying her denial. "What did you have for dinner?"

Billi started to answer, but she caught herself short. "I … I don't exactly remember," she admitted, blushing. "Chicken something or other."

"You were too busy paying attention to Jeff, weren't you?" She saw Billi's cheeks turn even more crimson. "Admit it — you enjoyed your date, didn't you?"

Billi looked down, embarrassed. "Yeah."

"And you liked making out in the theater, too? Did you let him do any … exploring?"

Billi felt tears coming out of her eyes. "I'm not supposed to …" she started to protest.

Lana sat down and wrapped her arm around Billi. "I'm sorry," she apologized. "I wasn't trying …"

Billi shook her head. "It's just so confusing! I … let him …." She wiped her tears. "Second base," she admitted softly.

"And I bet you kind of wanted more, right?"

Billi nodded mutely.

Lana smiled. "There's nothing wrong with a girl being attracted to a boy, especially in a romantic situation like a date." She giggled. "I was doing the exact same thing you were." She stood up and kicked off her shoes. "Let's get ready for bed before Mom comes in and decides to join the conversation!"

**********

"Miss Harding?"

Billi's attention was caught by the sound of her name. She quickly refocused her attention. "Yes, Mr. Snitter?"

"Do you know the answer?" Mr. Snitter asked insistently.

"Uh," Billi knew she'd been caught. "I'm sorry, but I was distracted."

"If it was more important than history, perhaps you'd like to share it with the class?"

Billi blushed. She'd been daydreaming about being with Jeff, and kissing him again. "Not really," she mumbled.

"So, if you're going to spend class time daydreaming, perhaps a little study time after school is in order." Mr. Snitter turned to another student. "Mister Riley, do you know the answer?"

Billi felt her cheeks burning. She opened her mouth to protest, but decided against it. Daydreaming was not in character; she'd been a very good student, always having an answer when asked. And daydreaming about Jeff — about their date, about how good it felt when he was caressing her breasts? Billi silently chided herself for allowing those thoughts to interfere with her classes — for even _allowing_ those thoughts at all!.

A few class periods later, between classes, Billi bumped into Jeff by her locker. "Hi," he said warmly. He was obviously waiting for her.

Billi smiled. "Hi. How's your day?"

Jeff leaned against the lockers. "Not nearly as interesting as Saturday night."

"Yeah," Billi agreed. "I had fun, too."

"Shelly was telling some people that you got a detention this afternoon from Snitter."

Billi looked down at the floor, embarrassed. "Yeah. I wasn't paying attention."

"Was it someone I know?" Jeff asked playfully, knowing the answer.

Billi looked up. She saw the mischievous twinkle in his eyes. "I … was thinking about our date."

Jeff grinned. "Does that mean you had fun, and that maybe you'd like to go out Saturday? Just you and me? I heard there's a good band at Shell Game."

Billi felt her heart race. "That would be fun," she agreed quickly. "If I'm not doing anything else."

Jeff leaned forward and gave her a quick kiss, knowing that they could both get in trouble for a public display of affection. He didn't care, though. Neither, to her surprise, did Billi.

After her last class, English, Billi reported to study hall, where Mr. Snitter held detentions. She made sure that he saw her, and then sat down, away from the few other students. Dutifully, she opened her book to study.

A few minutes later, Coach Young burst through the door.

Billi looked up at the sudden intrusion, and felt further embarrassed when she saw Coach staring directly at her.

After the briefest moment, Coach walked to the front of the room. From where she sat, Billi couldn't hear the two teachers, but she could tell that Coach was very unhappy from the animated nature of her discussion. She already knew what Coach was saying, anyway. How could he possibly give one of her cheerleaders detention? Didn't he know that their cheer routines were very demanding, and her cheerleaders needed every bit as much practice as the football team? Why didn't he just give her an extra paper assignment, or something similar, that she could do _after_ practice?

As Assistant Principal, Mr. Snitter was used to his judgment about discipline carrying the day. However, in this case, his resolve weakened, and finally, he gave in to Coach Young's reasoning. Satisfied that she'd made her point, Coach Young left just as dramatically as she'd entered.

"Miss Harding?" Snitter called to Billi.

Billi quickly slipped from her desk and strode to the front of the room. "Yes, Mr. Snitter?"

If Mr. Snitter looked unhappy from the back of the room, he looked downright annoyed from nearby. "Coach Young made a very good point about your presence being required to safely practice the cheer routines. You are dismissed from detention, but talk to me after class tomorrow for an … alternate … assignment."

"Thank you," Billi said softly. She knew better than to sound pleased; if it appeared she was gloating in the least bit, the ‘alternate assignment' would be even more difficult. She quickly gathered her books and slipped out of the room.

**********

Billi wished desperately that Lana was with her, but the band always rode separately from the team and from the cheerleaders. The cheerleaders were all in a passenger van that Coach was driving.

"I'm a bit nervous," Billi confessed to Tori, who was seated beside her.

"It'll be just like practice," Tori reassured her. "We've got the routines down cold."

Billi couldn't help herself. "I always get a bit nervous before a game."

Tori laughed. "Especially when you're the one doing the aerial stunts, right?"

Billi tried to smile. "Yeah. I know we practiced over and over, but it's still …."

"Intimidating?"

"Yeah."

"So don't think about it," Tori suggested. "Think about something else — like your date with Jeff last weekend. How was it?"

"What?" Billi was blindsided by the abrupt change of topic.

"Your date — how was it?"

Billi sighed contentedly as she thought of Jeff. "It was … okay."

"That didn't sound like an okay purr, if you ask me," Tori giggled.

"Okay, so it was … a lot of fun."

"Lana said you guys went to Giordano's," Tori continued. "He must be nuts about you to spend that kind of money!"

"I think he had as much fun as I did," Billi commented, hoping she wasn't giving away too much.

"I heard he's a great kisser, too," Tori teased.

"Where … where did you get that idea?" Billi asked, as her cheeks reddened.

Tori laughed aloud. "You don't have much of a ‘poker face'," she commented. "So you _do_ think he's a good kisser!" She sighed. "You know, if you weren't going with him, I might be tempted to make a move for him myself."

"What?" Billi was shocked at Tori's revelation. "I thought you … and Sam Worthen …. I didn't think Jeff was your type!!" She sounded a tiny bit possessive.

"Well, football players aren't the best boyfriends in the world, if you ask me," Tori said softly. "Maybe they get hit on the heads too much."

"I thought … you and Sam …?"

Tori laughed. "We only went out twice. Maybe _he's_ bragging like we're going steady, but I'm not really interested."

"So who are you interested in?" Billi asked, curious. "Besides Jeff," she added quickly.

Tori leaned a little closer. "You know Paul Kensing?"

"Paul?" Billi was astonished. Paul was one of the quieter and more serious students. He wasn't a stereotypical nerd, but he was smart. He played the tenor sax, and he was involved in both drama and debate.

"Hush!" Tori hissed. "Don't announce it to everybody!"

"I don't know," Billi commented. "For some reason, I didn't think Paul would be your type."

"So just what is my type?" Tori asked caustically.

Billi realized that Tori was more sensitive about Paul than she'd let on. "I don't know," she said quickly. "I just got the impression that you liked the athletic type."

"Are you forgetting that Paul's on the cross-country team? Isn't that athletic?"

Billi knew that she needed to steer the conversation back to safe ground. "So, between playing sax and running cross country, does he have good breath control for kissing? Or haven't you gotten that far?" She saw Tori turn red, and realized that she'd stumbled into a hidden truth. Her jaw dropped. "When did you kiss him?"

Tori dropped her gaze, embarrassed. "Do you remember when I got drafted to help set up for the back-to-school mixer? Paul got drafted too. We started talking, and then, before I knew what was happening, we were kissing in the store-room."

"So have you two gone out yet?"

Tori shook her head. "I think he's afraid of asking me out. Everyone thinks Sam is my boyfriend, and Paul might be intimidated."

"So why don't _you_ ask him out?" Billi suggested. "If I was a guy," she almost choked on the words, because they were a bit too close to the truth, "I'd be flattered to have someone like you suggest we go out."

"Do you really think I should?" Tori was uncertain about Billi's advice.

Billi smiled. "Trust me. If he's as much fun to be around as you say, some other girl will ask him first if you don't." She felt the van roll to a stop, and the door opened. "I guess we're here." As they filed out of the van, Billi caught Tori's arm. "The band bus just pulled in. If you hurry, you can probably get a word with Paul before everyone gets busy."

Tori looked uneasy. "I'm not sure if I should …."

Billi tugged her toward the band. "Come on. This is not the time to chicken out. Go for it!"

Hesitantly, Tori walked over toward the assembling band.

As Billi watched, Lana came from the band area. "What's up with Tori?"

Billi smiled. "We were talking on the drive. She's got a thing for Paul."

"Paul? Paul Kensing?" Lana was a little surprised.

"Yeah. I kind of pushed her to go ask him out," Billi explained.

"You what? She's going to ask _him_ out?" Lana shook her head. "Why?"

Billi laughed. "Because she likes him, and he's a bit shy, and I remember that when I was a guy, I'd have been very flattered to have a girl like Tori ask _me_ out!"

Lana smiled. "I guess you would have a unique perspective on matchmaking." She gave Billi a quick hug. "I know you've got to get ready, and so do I. Are you going to the party after the game?"

"The band party," Billi answered. "I'm not that into the team get-together."

"With Jeff, obviously. Okay. See you there." Lana turned and walked back to the band area.

Lana passed Tori, who was returning to the cheer squad. Tori had a big smile on her face.

As she neared, Billi couldn't help asking, "Well?"

Tori's smile broadened even more. "We're going to Shell Game tomorrow night," she answered. "You were right — he was feeling a bit shy about asking me out, because he was afraid I'd say no. When I asked him, I thought he was going to faint."

"Good. I guess Jeff and I will see you there." Her voice faded. She and Jeff had a date, but that was in _this_ reality, which was due to end Saturday night — shortly after her date. Billi suddenly felt a pang of sadness at the coming end of the spell.

Coach didn't give her time to lament, however. The game was going to start, and the cheer squad needed to get busy as the team's fans assembled in the stands.

If anything, Billi was more nervous about this performance than she had been the previous week. Coach had added a few new stunts to their routine, and she really wasn't sure of herself. She knew how much could go wrong.

Late in the third quarter, when Central scored a touchdown to take the lead, Billi prepared for a routine. Tori and another girl would give her a high toss. Billi was supposed to make a big "Touchdown" signal at the apex of the toss, do a forward roll, and lay out in a prone position, just in time to be caught by the other cheerleaders. Tori slipped slightly, sending Billi skyward but off balance.

Billi knew things were going horribly wrong, even as she'd started to lift her arms. She felt her balance shift unexpectedly to the side, and she began to flail wildly in a futile attempt to regain control of her motion.

The next thing Billi knew, she was lying on the ground, with pain exploding from her shoulder and the back of her head. She tried to move, but the pain just increased, and her vision blurred and wobbled.

Above the confusion, Coach Young's voice could be heard. "Don't move her!" she yelled. "Don't move her!" She was afraid that Billi might have sustained a neck injury, and if so, moving her could worsen the situation. Fortunately, trained medical staff were on hand, albeit for the possibility of a player being injured. In mere moments, Billi felt her head being held firmly in place as the medics gently slid a backboard under her.

As her head was strapped to the padding, to prevent movement and further injury, Billi could see Lana, or at least, she thought it was Lana. Then she saw Jeff, trying to get near her, his face distraught. "Billi!" he called over and over, anguish in his voice.

As she was placed on a gurney, feeling clamped to the board and unable to move, Jeff was finally able to get near her. He was crying. "You're going to be okay," he said repeatedly. "You're going to be okay, Billi!"

**********

Her arm in a sling to lessen the strain on her shoulder, Billi was escorted gingerly up the stairs by her mom. Lana was with her.

"We'll get you right to bed," Billi's mom reassured her.

"I hurt, and I'm tired," Billi mumbled.

"It's the pain medications," her mom replied. "The doctors said you'll be sleepy."

Lana was holding one side of Billi to steady her. "The doctors said you're going to be okay," she reassured her friend.

"How bad?"

"You don't remember?" Lana asked.

"We'll know more when you get an MRI on Monday, but the emergency room doctor thought you didn't even dislocate your shoulder. It looks like just some major bruising," her mom reported. "There aren't any signs of a concussion, and no injuries to your neck or spine."

"Good."

The two got Billi to her room. She laid herself on her bed. She still wore her pleated skirt from her cheerleader uniform, but her top was covered with a plain white blanket. "Tired," she mumbled. The pain medication was making her groggy. She clutched the blanket tightly around herself as she curled up on the bed.

Billi's mom shook her head. "You need to get into something more comfortable."

"Just sleep," Billi insisted.

"Okay." Billi's mom gently tugged the bedspread from under Billi, and then covered the tired girl. "I'll be back to check on you in a few minutes." She left the room, glancing nervously over her shoulder at her daughter.

Lana sat on the bed, but even that motion caused enough motion that Billi winced in pain. "Sorry," Lana apologized quickly.

"Mom wants you to stay with me," Billi said softly.

"Yeah."

Lana leaned forward and wrapped her arms around Billi. "I'm sorry," she sobbed.

"Not your fault." Billi was struggling to stay awake.

"Yes, it is!" Lana cried. "If I hadn't tricked you, this wouldn't have happened."

Billi smiled faintly. "Yes, it would, to someone."

"It shouldn't have happened to you!" Lana protested weakly. She got no response, so she looked at Billi. Billi's eyes were closed; sleep had finally claimed her for the night.

**********

Billi woke when she rolled to her right side, and pain shot up from her shoulder. She winced and gasped at the sudden intense discomfort. Slowly, she rolled back to her left, taking the pressure off her sore shoulder.

From the light slipping around the drapes and illuminating the room, Billi guessed it was around seven in the morning. She swung her legs out of bed, scooted to the edge of the bed, and cautiously stood. Her head still hurt some, and her shoulder was definitely sore. Her right arm was trussed up in the sling to hold her abused shoulder immobile.

For a brief moment, Billi wondered what was wrong, and then she sighed with relief as her awareness recovered from sleep. It was only Saturday; she was supposed to change back to Will early Sunday morning. She considered why she was still half-wearing her cheerleading uniform, until she slowly remembered the fall, the trip to the hospital, the x-rays, and the doctor telling her how lucky she was. She saw her cheerleading top, and gently picked it up, and her heart sank as she saw the damage that had been done to it when the ER doctors had cut it from her so they could examine her shoulder.

Except for the pain and the sling, it seemed like it had been a bad dream. When she started her morning routine in the bathroom, however, Billi realized the extent of her injury. Any motion of her arm made her shoulder explode in agony.

"Honey?" It was her mom's voice, in her bedroom.

"I'm in here, Mom," Billi replied.

"I _thought_ I heard you a minute ago." Mom opened the bathroom door a crack. "Are you okay?"

Billi sighed. "Not really. It hurts a lot. And I can't move very much."

"Until the doctor can get an MRI, he doesn't want you to move your shoulder. You might have had a minor dislocation, or you might have damaged your rotator cuff."

"How long … will I have to wear this?" Billi had a sudden unpleasant thought. "Am I done with cheerleading for the season?" she asked, fear in her voice.

Mom sighed. "We'll find out from the doctor. But you might be done."

The warm shower felt good on her shoulder, but she had difficulty washing her hair and her body. Toweling dry was an adventure in frustration; out of habit, she tried to use both arms, and was rewarded with shooting pain in her shoulder, reminding her that she was injured.

When she got out of the shower, Mom was waiting. She handed Billi a pill and a glass of water. "This should help with the discomfort."

After Billi took the pill, Mom helped her with her clothing. Billi felt helpless, like a small child, because she couldn't even dress herself. Billi was afraid of Mom's reaction when she chose a bra and panty set, but Mom barely raised an eyebrow at Billi's choice of lacy, pink, daring underwear.

Halfway, through dressing, Billi suddenly cried out. "Damn!"

"What?" Mom was concerned that she'd hurt Billi.

"I won't be able to dance tonight! Jeff and I were going to Shell Game!"

Mom winced sympathetically. "Well, maybe you can still go, if you're careful."

When they got downstairs, there was a message on the answering machine, which was surprising because it was not yet eight in the morning. Mom pushed the ‘play' button.

"Hi, Billi. This is Anya from Bikini Beach. Grandmother said that it's very important that you stop by at ten this morning. That should give you time to get dressed, get some breakfast, and have Lana drive you over. See you in a couple of hours."

Mom looked at Billi, a puzzled expression on her face.

Billi shrugged, at least her left shoulder shrugged. "I have _no_ idea what that's about," she admitted honestly.

"Isn't Bikini Beach the park you went to with Lana?"

Billi winced, and then realized that her mother was watching her expression. "Uh, I just got some throbbing," she lied. "I guess I've already overdone it for the morning." She hoped the lie wouldn't be caught. "Yeah, that's the park we went to."

"Well, it sounds important, so you better call Lana after you get some breakfast."

"I bet that she got a call already, too," Billi said without thinking.

Lana had gotten a similar call. As Billi finished up her breakfast, a task made difficult by her injured, sling-bound arm, her cell phone rang. Billi pulled it from her sling, and smiled when her mother realized that Billi was using her sling like a purse. "Hi, Lana," she said cheerfully.

"How are you feeling?" Lana asked immediately.

"Not bad, once I had another pain pill," Billi said honestly. "But the sling is a major nuisance."

"I bet you're going to have problems finding an outfit to match the sling," Lana giggled.

Billi laughed. "Too bad it's not royal blue or something. It would go with my favorite blouse if it was!"

"I take it you got a phone call?" Lana asked, getting right to the point.

"Yeah. Can you drive me over? With my arm in a sling, I'm not going to be driving anywhere."

Lana laughed. "Best friend, and now, chauffeur, too!" she joked. "I'll be over in about twenty minutes."

Thirty-five minutes later, Lana parked in the lot at Bikini Beach. The lot was quickly filling, since the park had already opened. When they got to the ticket booth, the girl directed them to the office building.

Inside, Grandmother was waiting for them. "Please, have a seat, Billi." She glanced at the woman next to her, an attractive woman in a bright orange T-shirt. On one shoulder there was a patch with a red cross in a white circle. "Billi, I'd like you to meet Chastity Middleton, our staff doctor."

"Pleased to meet you," Billi said politely. "Sorry I can't shake your hand, but …."

Chastity smiled. "You injured your shoulder, right?"

Grandmother turned to Lana. "I hate to sound rude, but at this point, I think the doctor needs to look at Billi's shoulder, and then we have some private business to discuss. If you'd like, you can wait out in the plaza. It shouldn't take but a few minutes."

Lana glanced nervously at Billi, who simply shrugged — or tried to. She winced in pain, again, at the inadvertent motion of her shoulder. "I'll be okay," she reassured her friend.

Once Lana was gone, Dr. Chastity was all business. She began to examine Billi's shoulder.

Billi was visibly nervous, and Grandmother noticed. "Don't worry," the old woman said with a grin. "Dr. Chastity knows all about our secrets."

After a thorough exam, including some difficult movement and strength tests on her joint, Dr. Chastity sat on the edge of the old woman's desk. "It's not dislocated," she reported. "You have some muscle and tendon strain around the joint, and probably a small tear in your rotator cuff, but you should heal well with just some physical therapy. I really wish I had an MRI to be positive, though."

The old woman smiled. "Thanks, Doc. I guess I can take it from here."

Doctor Chastity didn't budge. "If you don't mind, I'd like to check again after you … you know." She touched and wiggled her nose, in a manner reminiscent of Samantha on the TV show "Bewitched."

The old woman stepped in front of Billi, facing her, and her face wrinkled in concentration. After a few moments, she began to chant as her fingers danced in intricate motions.

"What…?" Billi started to ask.

"Shh," Doctor Chastity silenced her. "Don't interrupt her."

A moment later, the old woman simply touched Billi's shoulder. A strange warmth spread through her joint, soothing and taking away Billi's pain in a way the pills hadn't.

"What … ?" Billi asked again, confused by the sudden lack of discomfort. "How …?"

The old woman stepped back, smiling. "Magic, of course. The same thing that made you who you are."

"But … why?"

"Today is your last day before your pass expires. It wouldn't be fair to you, or to your date, for you to be injured and not able to enjoy the evening."

Doctor Chastity repeated her exam, and Billi was amazed at how much more flexibility and strength she had, and how little pain was left. The doctor smiled. "I'd say you're in pretty good shape for an evening of dancing." She frowned slightly. "It's not perfectly healed. Don't do anything stupid, or you'll re-injure it." She shook Billi's hand. "Take care, and please don't see me again — at least not professionally," she said with a grin.

After the doctor left, Billi shook her head. "I don't get this place," she said softly. "You … scare me."

"Why?"

"Because — I'm afraid that you _want_ me to stay a girl, that you're doing all of this, being so helpful, healing my shoulder — to convince me to stay. Or that you're going to, you know," she tried to wiggle her nose, "to make _me_ want to stay."

The old woman laughed. "There was a time when I would have made the decision for you. But my grand-daughter, Anya, helped convince this stubborn old goat that I had to leave the choice to my customers."

"So … what do I do?" Billi asked, confused.

"Simple. Enjoy the evening. Have a fun date. And tomorrow, you'll wake as your old self."

"That sounds … too easy."

The old woman smiled broadly. "It isn't. You know the old saying, ‘Ignorance is bliss?' Now that you have new experiences, you may find that you see things differently, that life won't ever be quite the same."

Billi felt a shiver run down her spine at the old woman's words. "That scares me."

"It shouldn't. We all learn new things, and that helps us make better decisions as we go forward. Even an old woman like me keeps learning." She stood and walked toward the door, offering her hand to help Billi up from her chair. "I'd love to talk more, but I have a business to run, and you need to go enjoy your last day."

***********

"Are you _sure_ you don't need your sling, honey?" Billi's mom asked for the eight time. "You know what the doctor said!"

"I'm fine, Mom," Billi insisted — again. ""See?" She lifted her arm, rotating it about her shoulder. "Everything is fine!"

Mom blanched when Billi raised her arm. "But … the doctor said you'd need to keep it in the sling for a few _weeks_!"

"I'm just going on a date. I'm not going to do gymnastics, or lift weights!" Billi saw that her mom's concerns weren't being allayed. "Okay, I'll take the sling, and if it gets sore, I promise I'll put it back on, okay?"

Mom realized that she wasn't going to persuade her daughter. "I guess that's as good as I'm going to get."

"And I'll take a pain pill — in my purse, just in case."

"Thanks."

"Now, if Daddy is done interrogating Jeff, Lana and Tori are waiting!" The ‘date' was a group event — Lana and Trevor, Tori and Paul, and Jeff and Billi.

"Well, you better go rescue Jeff, then. You know how protective your dad sometimes gets," Mom advised.

Billi gave her Mom a quick kiss on the cheek, and then practically skipped into the living room.

From his relaxed posture, Jeff was used to the ‘third degree' routine from Billi's dad. "And the curfew is at midnight, so I'll have her home by eleven forty-five."

"Good."

"We're going to Shell Game for the concert, and then we might stop at the Chocolate Shop for a late snack on our way home."

Dad nodded. "You won't let her overdo things with her shoulder, right? She seems to think that everything is magically better, and that she'll be able to do anything she wants!"

Billi almost choked at her Dad's choice of words. If only he knew the real truth — that the old woman's healing spell _was_ magic! "Daddy!" she protested. "I know better than to overdo things!"

Jeff glanced up at Billi, and a broad smile crept over his features. "Wow!" he said softly. "You look great!"

Billi smiled, feeling a bit embarrassed. She had borrowed Lana's royal blue, silk blouse, and had Capri pants that matched the paler blue floral print of the blouse. Her hair was held back behind her ears with barrettes that matched the blouse — again, borrowed from Lana, and she'd spent time curling the ends of her hair.

Dad looked over the top of his reading glasses. "Maybe you look _too_ good!" he commented dryly. "You'll get too much attention from all the boys looking like that!"

"Oh, Daddy!"

Jeff stood and walked to Billi's side, taking her hand. "They'll have to fight their way past me," he said with a grin.

"And you _know_ that Jeff is a perfect gentleman," Mom said from the kitchen doorway.

"I know," Dad said reluctantly. "But I still worry about my little girl."

Billi stepped to his chair, bent over, and gave him a kiss on his cheek. "And I appreciate it, Daddy." She straightened and looked at Jeff. "Let's go. Lana and Trevor are waiting, and we'll meet Tori and Paul there."

The ride to Shell Game was short; Lana and Trevor didn't notice, since they were busy kissing in the back seat.

Lana was wearing one of Billi's blouses — a Kelly-green knit top. She wore white slacks, and her long black hair was done in a French braid. For the briefest moment, Billi was a bit envious of Lana's exotic beauty. But only for a moment, until Jeff gave her a quick kiss. She realized, to her delight, that she held Jeff's attention the same way that Lana held Trevor's.

As they danced, Billi was delighted that the old woman had healed her shoulder; if she'd been stuck in the sling, she wouldn't have enjoyed the evening nearly as much — especially during the slow dances, when Jeff held her tight against him, and she felt herself almost purring with contentment.

After more dancing, as they were sitting at the table drinking their sodas, Billi felt the call of nature. "Let's go to the Ladies' room," she whispered to Lana.

Lana nodded, and, as if linked by telepathy, Tori joined them. "We'll be right back," Lana said to Trevor with a smile.

Jeff nodded. "Hey, if you're going to be a while, maybe we can go play a game in the arcade!"

"Yeah," Trevor agreed enthusiastically.

Lana leaned over and gave Trevor a very passionate, engaging kiss. As their lips parted, she smiled. "If you _do_ go in there, your lips are going to be missing _that_ for at least a week! We didn't come here to watch you guys play video games!"

Trevor looked in Lana's eyes, and realized just how serious she was. "It was only a thought," he said quickly.

"And not a very good one," Tori added.

Once they were in the restroom Tori burst out laughing. "That was _so_ good!" she complimented Lana. "I was starting to wonder how we'd keep them away from the arcade!"

Lana just smiled. "You just have to use all the tools you've got."

Tori turned and gave Billi a big hug. "Thanks."

"For what?" Billi was confused.

"Without your encouragement, I wouldn't be here with Paul." She smiled. "He took me out to dinner before we came here. It was … fabulous."

Billi felt a lump in her throat. In four hours, she'd be gone, replaced by Will. She wondered if Will would find a girl, like Tori, who was interested in him. She wondered if Will would have many friends, like Tori and Lana and the others on the squad, instead of the few that he had. Will had felt a bit isolated from the girls, because their boyfriends were more than a bit jealous, and he was afraid of getting too close to the girls. He didn't want to be beaten or heartbroken. Will also felt isolated from the other guys, because of the joking about his cheerleading being gay or sissy. Except for a couple of close friends, few guys wanted to associate with someone who was so openly ridiculed. Billi, however, fit in.

Because of the strict curfew, Shell Game announced the time every fifteen minutes, starting at eleven. At the second announcement, Billi turned to Jeff. "How about if we leave a bit early?" she suggested. She felt too embarrassed to complete her thought.

Jeff didn't have trouble picking up her meaning. "That's an idea. We can go to Dixon Park for a bit, if you'd like."

"Yeah." Billi felt her knees weaken at the thought of making out with Jeff.

"I'll see what Trevor thinks," Jeff said with a smile. He already knew what Trevor and Lana would think — they'd be all for the idea of a bit more privacy.

And so, the two couples sat in Dixon park, eagerly and enthusiastically kissing. Billi felt a thrill as Jeff began to caress her breast, cautiously at first. She could have stopped him, but she didn't want to. Part of her, the part that knew she'd change in an hour or so, was getting very curious. This was a chance that very few boys would ever have — the chance to experience the full delight of feminine sex. Most of her, however, found those thoughts terrifying. She _knew_ she couldn't cross that line, no matter how much she wondered. She resolved to be content with just kissing Jeff. Eventually, the bells of St. Martha's sounded, letting the kids in the neighborhood know that they had fifteen minutes before the curfew slammed down, giving them time to get home and avoid being in trouble.

Billi paused on the front doorstep, turning once more to Jeff. Her arms went around his neck almost automatically, and she tilted her head upward to meet his lips. For several long seconds, she let herself enjoy the warm passion of his lingering good-night kiss, as if part of her knew that it would be her last, and that she was reluctant to let it end.

She was sliding under her covers when the bells rang midnight. For a while, she wondered what it would feel like when she changed back. Would it have the warm tingling of the original shower? How fast would it happen?

She was tired, though, from her dancing and from the residual effects of her healed injury and a restless previous night. Before the changes could start, Billi fell fast asleep.

**********

Will woke with a start. He sat up suddenly, surprised that he'd fallen asleep when he really wanted to experience the change back to masculinity. Slowly, the fog cleared from his brain. The previous two weeks seemed, at first, like it had been a very realistic dream, but slowly, he realized that it had been real.

Will probed at his shoulder, the one that Billi had injured. There was no pain, so he moved it experimentally. Slowly, and with growing confidence, he exercised its mobility, until he was confident that, somehow, the injury wasn't part of the current reality.

He glanced at the clock, and saw that it was after ten. He grabbed his phone and punched a few buttons.

"Hi, Lana," he began. "In case you didn't notice, I changed back."

"I was wondering," Lana said. "How … how do you feel?"

Will knew that she was referring to the injury. "I'm okay," he reported. "It didn't happen — not in this reality."

Lana thought a moment. "That's good. How are you feeling … about the two weeks?"

Will thought for a moment. "It's strange. I guess I got a new perspective . It's a little … awkward to talk about on the phone. How about if we meet at the mall to talk more?

Lana agreed. "Are you going to drive, or me?

"I'll be over in about twenty minutes, okay?"

"Okay, bye."

Will hung up the phone, and sighed. The morning was going to be different than he'd adjusted to over the past two weeks.

Twenty minutes later, he pulled his car into Lana's driveway. Before he could even shut off the motor, she was out the door and striding briskly toward his car.

"Let's go," she said with a smile as she pulled the door shut.

**********

"You've been pretty quiet today," Lana observed as they drove from the mall parking lot.

"Just thinking."

"That wasn't as much fun as last time we were there," Lana said, a note of sadness in her voice.

Will shrugged. "Last time, things were … different."

"Is it ever going to be the same?" Lana asked, wondering if she hadn't irreparably harmed their friendship.

"I don't know. Probably not," Will said, unenthusiastically.

Both of their phones rang simultaneously. As Will struggled to pull out his phone while simultaneously driving, Lana answered her call.

"Hello?" he answered his phone.

The voice call was a message. Will didn't get a chance to say anything else before the call cut off. He frowned, and then glanced at Lana. "That was weird."

"Yours, too?" she asked.

Will felt a chill run down his spine. "This is … eerie."

"Did yours say that we need to go to the water park to talk to the owner, again?" Lana asked hesitantly.

"Yeah. This is … weird."

Lana laughed. "Given what's happened these past two weeks, you think that us both getting the same call at the same time is so unusual?"

"I guess not."

"So are you going to the park?" Lana asked.

Will nodded. "Given what I've experience of her magic, do you think I'm going to _not_ go to the park?" They drove the short distance in silence, each wondering what the old woman might want.

As expected for a warm weekend, the parking lot was full. Will parked in the first spot he found, and he and Lana walked across the already-hot asphalt toward the ticket booth. There was no line, so they walked directly to the window.

"Uh, hi," Will began. "I, uh, that is we, got phone calls that he owner wanted to talk to us."

The pretty brunette smiled. "Yes, she's expecting you, Will."

Will glanced nervously at Lana, wondering how this young lady had known who he was.

"I'm Anya. My grandmother owns this park. She's in the office building, waiting for you." Anya gestured to a low gray building beside the park's perimeter wall.

Grandmother was indeed expecting them; she opened the door before Lana or Will could push the intercom or buzzer. "Come in, come in," she said pleasantly. As the door shut, she gestured to some stuffed chairs and sofas in a casual area of the office. "Can I get you something to drink? Lana, I believe you prefer diet Coke? And Will, you're a root beer man, right?" She smiled. "I always found it easy to like someone who likes good root beer."

Lana glanced at Will, and then they nodded. "If it's not too much trouble, ma'am," Will said. Behind them, Anya slipped into the building, gracefully and quietly taking a seat. Clearly, she was a part of Grandmother's expected conversation.

The old woman poured drinks, and handed the glasses to the two teenagers. She poured two glasses of iced tea for herself and Anya, and then sat in one of the chairs. "I bet you're wondering why I asked you to visit again?"

Lana nodded. "Yes, ma'am," she said.

"To begin with, you know I didn't approve of how you tricked Will into changing, don't you?"

Lana gulped. "Yes, ma'am." She sounded suitably chastised. "But I thought …"

Grandmother held up her hand to still Lana's comment. "You had good intentions." She turned to Will. "What did you think of your … experience?"

Will sighed heavily. "I … don't know," he began. "It was very different from what I'd expected."

Grandmother knew that Will had a lot of feelings to sort out. "Why don't you start with the good things you experienced?"

"Yeah," Will agreed. "I really liked not being made fun of by the guys. I enjoyed the camaraderie of the squad, that I never quite felt when I was … me." He took a sip of his soda. "I kind of liked having someone … close," he was obviously embarrassed about calling Jeff a ‘boyfriend', "because I wasn't lonely." He glanced at Lana. "Lana and I had more fun together than we've ever had. It was like having a sister, and I enjoyed it."

"But on the other hand?" the old woman prompted.

Will sighed again. "On the squad, I felt … vulnerable. I was afraid doing some of the routines. Some of the girls in school were pretty … mean."

"Catty," Lana interjected.

"Yeah."

"And you're afraid that you can't protect the girls on the squad, that someone is going to get hurt, worse than you did, because you're not there to help keep things safe?" Anya had been silent until that point.

Will nodded, looking down. "Yeah."

The old woman perked up, and cocked her head. "Anya," she said suddenly, "why don't you and Lana go …?"

"Grandmother," Anya replied softly, "I think Lana needs to hear it, too."

The old woman thought for a moment. "You're probably right." She turned to Will. "There's more, isn't there?"

Will sighed. "I hoped that, after I changed back, Lana and I could be more than friends." She saw the look on Lana's face. "But that won't ever happen, will it?"

Lana shook her head sadly. "I don't think so. I think of … thought of … you like a brother. That's how you always treated me — like a very special sister. I don't think I could ever think of you romantically."

Will nodded slowly as he digested the truth. "I guess part of me knew that, but a guy can always hope, can't he?"

"I'm sorry," Lana said softly.

"And what else?" Anya prompted.

Will gulped. He hadn't wanted to admit this part, but he knew that the two magic-users weren't going to let him _not_ admit it. "When I saw Shelly with Jeff at the mall this morning, I felt kind of …" He lowered his head, shaking it. "It seemed wrong."

"And your little brother always seemed to get out of chores, didn't he?" the old woman added.

"Yeah."

"In case you don't remember," Anya countered softly, "that was an issue _before_, wasn't it?" Anya stood suddenly. "Lana, why don't we go get some ice cream?" she asked.

With a puzzled look on her face, Lana followed Anya out into the park.

Once they had gone, the old woman turned back to Will. "You're very tempted to be a girl, aren't you?"

Will knew he had no secrets from this woman. "Some, I guess."

"You liked the way your family interacted. You enjoyed the way things were with your friends. You enjoyed your boyfriend. But?"

Will laughed a hollow laugh. "You want to tell me, because I'm not sure myself."

"You feel a strong need to protect the girls on the cheer squad, don't you? You think that, as long as you're a man, you can prevent injuries of the type you suffered, isn't that right?"

Will thought for a moment, then nodded slowly. "Yeah," he said, looking down as if embarrassed. "Every year, the routines get more extreme, more … daring." He shook his head. "Someone is going to get hurt, badly, if I'm not there to … help. If Tori or Melissa or Nichole or Ashley or any of the others got hurt because I wasn't there to help, how would I live with myself?" Will wiped at his tears.

The old woman rose and moved, sitting beside Will on the sofa, placing her hand gently on his arm. "Your masculine need to protect the _weaker_ female sex on the squad is noble ..."

"Thanks," Will acknowledged.

"... but it's bull. No matter what you do, or who you are, you can't prevent all injuries. Someday, one of the girls _is_ going to get hurt, and there's nothing that you can do to stop it. You're not Superman."

Will's eyes opened wide. "Oh?" He sounded disappointed at the truth he was having to confront.

The old woman nodded. "You have to live your life for yourself, not making decisions to try to protect others. Being selfless is one thing, but not if you sacrifice yourself in the process."

Will nodded glumly. "I know. I just wish I knew what to do."

The old woman smiled. "Maybe you need some time to think. You don't want to make a hasty decision about something that will affect the rest of your life, do you?"

Will looked at her, surprised. "I suppose not. But ….?"

The old woman laughed. "You figured that I'd try to sell you a lifetime pass, because it would be good for my business, right?"

Will nodded. "Yeah, kind of."

"That wouldn't be fair to you, though, would it? That would be me saving you from having to decide for yourself. Would that be right?"

Will shook his head. "No."

"You can always enjoy the park for a day or two while you think. I know you enjoyed ‘sister time' with Lana. You might even have time for a date with Jeff, if you want."

Lana was waiting by the ticket booth when Will finally emerged from the office. She couldn't read the expression on his face. "What's up?"

"We talked some more."

"And?" Lana was clearly curious.

"It's my decision. She helped me see how many things I need to consider."

"Oh." It was clear, from her voice, that Lana was disappointed.

"You sound unhappy," Will observed.

"No," Lana said quickly, but her lie was transparent. "Okay, I guess I am." She looked down at the ground, embarrassed by her feelings. "I … wanted you to stay, because … you're like a sister. We had fun together — more fun that we do now. I … guess I was being a bit selfish. I'm sorry."

**********

Will Harding quietly closed the door of his locker. The noise from the locker room was just as chaotic and exuberant as always, but Will had been mostly unobserved — until now. Chip noticed Will picking up a towel he used to keep his hands dry during practice.

"How are you doing, cheer boy?" he said tauntingly.

After a week and a half of taunting and abuse since he'd changed back, Will decided he'd had enough. "Look, Chip," he began firmly, "you should be _thanking_ me for cheering."

"What?" Chip was stunned into near silence by Will's rebuttal.

"In case you didn't know, the other day, while you were busy playing football, I kept your girlfriend from falling and getting hurt! Didn't she tell you?"

"No." Chip's eyes widened. "You …?"

Will took a deep breath and looked around the now-silent locker room. "And you, and you," he added, pointing to two other players. "If I wasn't catching, _your_ girlfriends might get hurt, too." He shook his head. "I've never tried to hit on your girlfriends, I've never been rude or lewd with them. And what do I get? All I get from you guys is a bunch of crap!" He angrily grabbed the towel and turned, walking briskly from the locker room.

As he neared the practice area, he saw the girls starting to warm up. His pulse was still racing, and his lips were tightly pursed together from the confrontation. He saw the girls, interacting playfully, warmly sharing secrets and gossip. He knew that the moment he got near, the fun conversations would stop, the playful banter would cease. He suddenly felt alone, even in the group.

Will sat heavily on the bench, resting his forehead on his interlaced hands and sighing heavily. Nothing had changed, except him. Everything was the same — how the girls treated him, how the guys acted toward him, the innuendo around school that he must be gay to be a cheerleader. Will suddenly felt overwhelmed.

"Hey, Will," Coach Young called to him. "Get with it."

Will looked up slowly at her. He looked … beaten. She recoiled from the hollow, defeated look on his face. Slowly, he let his head back down, staring at the ground.

Will felt a hand on his shoulder, and he looked up. Tori had sat down beside him, and she put her hand out to try to reassure him. "Come on," she encouraged Will. "Let's get going."

Will shook his head sadly. "It doesn't matter," he said softly.

Tori frowned. "What do you mean, it doesn't matter?"

Will sighed again. "It doesn't matter. Someday, someone's going to get hurt, whether I'm here or not."

"Of course it matters," Tori rebutted quickly. "The other day, you saved Nichole from a bad fall."

Will shook his head sadly. "I can't stop them all," he said.

Tori was stunned into silence. Will sounded very depressed.

Will looked up at her. "Tell me, did you or any of the girls ever think about going out with me? If I would have asked?"

Tori's eyes widened, and she involuntarily glanced around at the other girls. "Uh," she stammered, not quite sure how to answer, "I guess I never thought of it."

"Because you all think of me as just another of the girls, right?"

Tori bit her lip, suddenly ashamed. Will's words contained more than a grain of truth.

"And none of you ever thought of sticking up for me when others were making jokes or off-color comments either, I bet."

Tori dropped her gaze, ashamed. "It never occurred to me. I'm sorry," she tried to apologize.

Will stood suddenly. "So am I." His voice was heavy. He turned and walked slowly back toward the locker room.

As Will walked past, Coach Young looked at him and opened her mouth to say something. Will looked up, and she understood everything from the look in his eyes.

**********

Billi seemed unhappy, even though she was happily cheering. Because of her fall two weeks before, Coach wouldn't let her do any acrobatic moves. Instead, she just cheered and rallied the fans. And she was happily interacting with the other cheerleaders, even though there was something … sad … in Billi's eyes.

Right after school, Will had slipped to Bikini Beach, and had gotten a pass. He _had_ to know some answers. So he changed, and was now at the game, doing what Billi — and Will — loved, which was cheerleading. Even Lana didn't know, because she wasn't part of the change. Will — Billi — was the only one who knew of the temporary change.

Despite the camaraderie, Billi felt alone. She knew it was only temporary, not real. To Jeff's chagrin, Billi skipped the post-game band party. She wouldn't go with Lana, either. Instead, she drove away by herself. She drove aimlessly, but found herself approaching the parking lot of the water park that had started all of Billi and Will's troubles.

Billi sat in her car, staring forlornly at the gate. She wished that the place had never existed, that the old woman had never let her learn, had never given her a choice.

A knock on the glass shattered Billi's self-pitying mood. She looked up sharply, startled. It took a moment, in the dim light of the lamps and moonlight, for her to recognize Anya, the girl from the old woman's office. Billi rolled down her window. "You scared me," she said.

Anya smiled. "Sorry. I just felt … that you needed to talk to someone."

Billi stared at her for a moment, and then a tear dribbled down her cheek. "Yeah," she said softly.

Anya walked around and climbed into the passenger seat of Billi's car. "You've had a pretty tough couple of weeks, haven't you?"

Billi nodded. "Yeah, I guess you could say that."

"Why did you quit? As Will, I mean."

Billi sighed. "I realized that I'd never fit in. I wasn't respected by the guys, or by the other girls even." She closed her eyes and took a couple of slow breaths. When her eyes opened again, it seemed like an effort on her part. "I just couldn't take it anymore."

"So why did you come back here? Why'd you change back to Billi?" Anya asked as if she knew the answer already.

Billi realized that Anya probably _did_ know, just like the old woman probably knew. "I needed to know … how I fit in as Billi."

"So now what?"

Billi shook her head. "I don't know." She laughed, but it was an empty, hollow sound. "I lose either way, don't I?"

Anya knew, but she asked anyway. "How?"

"As Will, I can't go back to cheerleading. Not knowing how I didn't fit in. Not knowing how the girls thought of me, or the players. I can't take more of the taunting or teasing or harassment." She sighed. "My best friend — the girl I could fall in love with — admitted that she couldn't ever think of me romantically. The girls on the team — they don't see me as a guy, but as a cheerleader. My dad will never get over me not being a football player like Aiden."

"Did you ever ask your dad why?"

"I tried," Billi answered. "He wouldn't answer."

"Your dad is haunted by his own demons. He was a star tight end in high school — until he had a career ending injury midway through his senior year."

Even in the dim light, Anya knew that Billi's eyes were wide with surprise, and her mouth hung agape.

"He was setting school records, and then it all ended. He had scouts from Notre Dame, and Oklahoma, and Michigan interested in him, with full-ride scholarships. He was living every little boy's dream — being a star football player and getting a shot at making it big."

"What happened?"

"He shattered his knee pretty badly. Both ligaments, tendons, his cartilage — just about everything. It ended his dream."

"I … never knew."

Anya shook her head. "Your _mom_ doesn't even know. Your dad never told anyone, because he was ashamed of what he thought was his failure."

"So that's why he identifies so much with Aiden — because …."

Anya nodded. "He plays tight end. Just like your dad." She paused a moment. "There's no way that you'll ever live up to your dad's hopes and dreams unless you play football, and more specifically, unless you're a star tight end. Even Aiden will be a disappointment to your dad unless he accomplishes what your dad missed."

"But as Billi…?"

"Your dad didn't have near-impossible expectations of a daughter. That's why it seemed so much better."

"But … if I change, I lose who I was!" Billi complained. "I lose everything I knew, everything I've grown to expect. I feel like I'd be running away from my problems!" She wiped at a tear.

"Or running _toward_ something better," Anya interjected.

Billi considered her words. "So what do I do?"

Anya laughed, but it was a sad, sympathetic sound. "I can't tell you. _You_ have to decide what's right for you."

"I want to be Will," Billi said weakly. "But I want to be Billi." She shook her head. "I don't know _what_ to do!" She wiped at her tears again.

"You have to figure it out yourself," Anya said. She glanced at her watch. "It's late. Your curfew starts in about fifteen minutes, so you better get home — especially since you'll be changing back a little after midnight!"

**********

Lana smiled warmly as she crawled into Will's car. "Hi."

"Morning," Will said in a monotone.

"You weren't at the game last night," Lana observed.

Will shook his head. "There didn't seem to be any point."

"It was kind of strange to not see you on the sidelines."

"Yeah, it was strange not being there. Still, I … couldn't." Will didn't tell her that Billi had been cheering the night before. Lana didn't know, and didn't need to know.

"Is this because of what happened — when …?"

Will shook his head sadly. "I don't think so. I guess it's been building for some time now."

"You said you had some errands to run, and then we'd do something fun?" In truth, Lana was getting very concerned about Will. He'd been withdrawn, and seemed depressed, since just before he'd quit the cheer squad.

"I've got to pick up something Mom left at the store to be altered. You know the place — in the mall?"

Lana thought for a second. "Oh, yeah. The place that specializes in alterations and tailoring. Isn't that right across from Jean Queen?"

"Yeah. I figured that you could go look at some jeans or stuff while I get Mom's clothes."

"If you can stand to wait! You know how girls shop!" Lana joked.

**********

"Are you sure about this?" Lana sounded as nervous as she was. "This is what started all the problems." Will's car was parked in the lot at Bikini Beach.

Will shook his head. "No, they started before. I'm sure. I've been kind of down, and I guess I need a fun day with my best friend. But I don't want to make Trevor jealous."

"He knows you're not romantically interested," Lana countered. "But, still …."

"Well, since we're already here, and don't have any other plans, how about if we just go enjoy the park?"

"Okay. I'll change and wait for you."

As Lana turned toward the women's locker, she noticed that Will was discussing something at the ticket booth. The discussion seemed to be a bit animated on Will's part. Curious, Lana stood and watched, until eventually, Will took out his wallet and, after paying, received a pass.

Lana was changed first, and was waiting as Billi came out of the men's locker. "What was the delay about?" she asked, her curiosity too strong to contain.

"We were arguing about the price of a pass."

Lana frowned. "But … the prices are pretty fixed, aren't they?"

Billi smiled. "I got a coupon this morning."

"This morning? Where?"

"At that little curio shop in the mall." Billi recalled the morning. "While you were shopping in Jean Queen. There was a little curio shop, and I stopped in to see what was up. Spell something-or-other. It had a little bit of everything, but the owner also had some discount coupons for Bikini Beach." She ran back into the locker room, emerging moments later with a piece of paper. "Here," Billi said as she extended it to Lana.

Lana scanned the paper. "Forty percent off?" She glanced at Billi. "That's a pretty good deal."

"Read the rest."

"Forty percent off …" Lana's eyes widened, "of a lifetime membership?" She looked up at Billi, uncertain of what Billi was implying.

Billi grinned. "Lifetime membership. As in, I'm not going back!"

Lana squealed, and enthusiastically hugged Billi. "That's … great! I'm so happy — for you, and for us! You're like my sister!"

"So are you."

"Now we can do everything together," Lana giggled.

Billi thought about Jeff. She felt warm thinking about kissing him. "Well," she said, blushing, "maybe not _everything_!"

FIN

up
167 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Another great story

One thing that stands out to me about this story is that is shows us that there is not always a completely right or a completely wrong answer. Just one that makes us a little more happy.

I wonder if Billi won't miss Will's life, even as Will's memories fade away to become dreams.

I love the unexpected outcomes

I enjoy Bikini Beach stories, they do have a hidden message about how people can be and how one can overcome them. the physical change is only part of the resolve, the mental change of how they perceive things is the real cure.
I enjoy reading the Bikini beach stories, they give me a look at some of my life and how things were. I didn't go into a shower and change, I learned through adversity and pain how by being my true self I could have close friends and enjoy life to its fullest.
I am a female in a world where people only see male or female. I no longer get those derogatory remarks, or have to face some one telling me I can't be me.
I thank you for your insightful writings. To me they give me a chance to live and dream in a different world.

Jill Micayla
Be kinder than necessary,Because everyone you meet
Is fighting some kind of battle.

Too bad the jocks never did

try to see how tough being on the cheer squad is. If they did, they would not have bullied Bill. I seriously doubt that they could handle what the cheerleaders do in their workout!

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Beautiful

I love the growth of the grandmother in this one, and how much she realizes the mistakes she made in the past. I love how it was entirely Will's choice one way or the other. I wont spoil what happened, but this is DEFINITELY worth the read.

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

Will was a very depressed young man

Renee_Heart2's picture

As Billi though she gets to have fun & be part of the group. As far as the stunts go the school could come down on the coach & after Billi's injurie she should have toned down the stunts. Thank god for.Grand mother & her powers, and by the looks of things Billion found out who.she really is & where she belongs, as a girl on the cheer squad where she has friends a best friend in band & adopted sister.

Looks like the SRU wizzard is up to his old tricks again.

Love Samantha Renee Heart

Personally, I liked this

Personally, I liked this story quite a bit. Not least because of how the character is fleshed out in my mind and how he (or she as the case is) comes to her own decision. She isn't forced into anything, yet her wish to be able to truly be a part of something causes her to take the step of a lifetime pass. And Grandmother comes across quite well in this story. Though I also thought well of Grandmother in most of the stories anyways.

Samirah M. Johnstone

*Cheers*

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

I luv all the BB stories.
Although I don't always comment.
I find some of them a bit unsettling tho, but I still luv them.

And I am still tryin to find the directions on how to get there.
*grins*

Doing well

You know, I enjoyed this story for two reasons. First: This is an imperfect world and that is well reflected in this story. Yes or no, A or B, up or down, what is the correct answer? What is the best answer? Who knows? This is the real world, there are no perfect choices. How can there be? Will/Billi had to weight the choices, then make a gut decision. Did Will make the "right" decision? Neither Will nor Billi will ever know what the right decision is, perhaps there never was a "right" decision.

Second: This marks another step towards a kinder, less-judgemental grandmother. Got a ways to go, still, but getting there. As for the SRU wizard, his actions lie outside the boundaries of grandmother and her people. He has a better grasp of the various futures, but what was his motive for becoming involved? Help or hinder, nobody knows his intentions but him and he ain't talking!

Thanks, Elrod!


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Good story, but ...

... something bothers me about it: in the end, it looks as if the jocks win this round.

Why? Well, because their world view is confirmed by the outcome. A guy can't be a cheerleader - Will has to change into a girl to keep cheering.
The traditional order of things is reinstated; society (even this little part of society that is a high school) doesn't have to change.

But then, that's how reality works sometimes. Changes to society come slowly at best, and sometimes we have to change ourselves - even give up part of ourselves - to fit in.

At least the cloud has a silver lining: Billi isn't dating one of the jocks ... :-)

--- Martin

I can sympathize with

I can sympathize with Billie/Will. He really had a crap time as a guy. He did everything wrong to be seen as a great guy, the other guys thought him a wimp, the girls thought him a sister/brother thingy. If I had had a "become a girl and everything will be better" ticket as a teenager I'd probably used it. Nah, I'd used it for sure. This actually is the cruel side of Biki-Beach. If you life as a guy sucked, your life as a girl will be certainly better. Except grandma hates you, of course.
I'd call it the curse of Bikini Beach. Why would you want to go back to the old sucky you when the new one is better? Body, social status and family. This is the one thing that really irked me about the stories. Bikini Beach can make everything better, but only for a girl. I guess it's a bit like real life. Girls get help, guys have to help themselves. If they can't than they can die.

Um... sorry about the dark thoughts. I really liked this story actually. Lana really wanted to help her friend and was successful, I think. Who knows what Billie had done if he had to continue as the bullied, lone cheerleader guy? The girls thought him gay, the guys thought him a sissy... So deja vu :(

Thank you for writing this captivating story,
Beyogi

Interesting Story...

I really wasn't sure how it was going to end. I wondered if Will was going to stay with the back-and-forth routine for, say, the rest of the year.

You seemed to be having the experience improve his male prospects, calming down the jocks. And acting as more of a brother to the girl cheerleaders ought to make some of them try to match him up with girls they know, now that it's clear to them that he's not gay.

Good one, Elrod. (And yes, I like the "new" grandmother a lot better than the older version.)

Eric

Regrets? No..I think that

Regrets? No..I think that Billi finally worked out where
her life's destiny lay..Though not really suffer from dysporia the examples shown of both lives that Billi was the obvious happier and satisfying lifestyle.

alissa