Somewhere Else Entirely -65-

Printer-friendly version

The caravan leaves Tranidor on the last stage of the company's journey to Blackstone. All goes well until Garia spots something that has to be investigated... which leaves her literally in a mess. A chance find and a mellow evening around the campfire help to restore calm to the travelers.

Somewhere Else Entirely

by Penny Lane

65 - The Road Less Traveled


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2011-2012 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



It was for the best, as it happened. Garia needed extra time in the morning to prepare herself for the day's ride, two wagons needed to be brought and loaded with the chests of eight people and their frayen had to be fed, watered and harnessed ready for the day. This meant that it was well after the usual time when the wagons left the inn, which in turn meant that the streets were not as crowded.

Along the way they met up with the men who had been lodged some distance from the warehouse. Finally, the other two wagons rolled out of the warehouse complex - after hasty but careful fitting of the rebuilt wheel - and the caravan began the final leg of the journey to Blackstone.

Yarling reined in beside Jaxen. "An uncommon number of men in your guard, wagonmaster. Do you plan a war?"

Jaxen smiled. "Fortunately for us, Master Yarling, our men seek only to guard the wagons and those traveling with them, else we would have trouble with His Majesty's men. Some of our riders, as you must have realized, ride with us because of the women who travel with us. The others... well, let us just say we are being careful because of where we go and what those who hire us wish us to do."

Yarling frowned. "As you say, wagonmaster."

"Call me Jaxen, if you please. We shall enjoy each other's company for a month at least, we should not have time to be so formal in the company. You will discover that the others in the company forget titles when we are on the road."

"As you wish... Jaxen. Two of the women ride, I notice. I did not think such a thing is customary in Palarand. The young one, the one called Buffy. She seems to have a foreign air about her. Is that the reason?"

"She comes, I understand, from a distant land called Kansas, but she now resides within Palarand. It seems that some of the customs of her homeland have been adopted by those she knows and it may be they will become popular in time. Do you object to a woman astride a frayen like a man?"

"It seemed to me an odd thing to see a woman riding at first but she appears so natural I wonder why more do not attempt it. Do your older women ride?"

"Now you touch on a sore topic, Yarling. My own sister has seen what is possible and demands a frayen of her own! I have been forced to commission a saddle but where I shall find coin to buy her a beast I do not know. Perhaps the profit from this venture may suffice but I cannot yet say."

"It is ever said that a woman is a costly thing to have," Yarling agreed. "Your words remind me of something else I have noticed, Jaxen. Some of the riders seem to use a different kind of saddle than yours or mine. In fact, now I think on it," Yarling twisted around in his saddle to observe the other riders, "they ride a saddle like Buffy does. Did she bring that new design with her as well?"

"You force me to admit, Yarling, that she did describe a new design of saddle."

"It seems, then, that Mistress Buffy is not simply a young girl along on an adventure."

"As you say. If you will excuse me, we must needs turn right ahead, I should go to the front of the train."

The caravan made its way back through the streets retracing the route that they had used when they had originally entered Tranidor. Crossing over the last bridge, the one over the Bray, instead of turning right to go back along the road south they instead turned left to follow the valley of the Bray northwards. Keren rode beside Garia.

"How do you feel this morning, now that we are on the road?"

"A mixture, I think. Part of me is glad to be back on the open road again. I like this, Keren, I think if I did not have so many other demands on my time I would quite like to ride the caravans, visit strange new places as Sookie does." She grimaced. "Part of me right now is wishing I wasn't quite so female at the moment. The feelings inside are quite indescribable. Parts of me are rather more tender than I would ever wish them to be."

"Do you feel ill, or have a headache?" he asked with concern. "I know Malann had some quite unpleasant Calls. It is fortunate we have such good healers at home who help the women through the worst of times."

"Not this time. So far, when I've had these, every single one has been different. I wonder if it is my body trying to work out what is the worst possible combination of symptoms to inflict on me."

"You have my sympathy. Are you happy to ride?"

"Oh, yes. As I said last night, I don't think it makes much difference what I do, it just happens. I think Snep knows somehow. He's being very careful not to jolt me."

"I think these frayen have more brains than we believe, Garia. With you to show us the way, we now realize that these animals have more to give and are willing to give it if we treat them properly."

"I think you underestimate the dranakhs as well," she said. "There's something strange going on there but I can't work out what. It's almost as if they can read minds."

"They have been draft animals for so long that perhaps they have grown to understand our ways," he replied. "I'm certainly glad they take our part in a quarrel than otherwise." He looked along the line of wagons and riders. "Tell me, what do you think of our two guildsmen now?"

"Bezan knows, I'm sure of it, but he's quite content with that and I think he'll keep his mouth shut. I don't think he'll cause trouble on the road. Yarling, on the other hand, is asking questions. Lots of questions."

"Looking around we're not exactly like a normal-looking caravan, Garia. I'm not surprised he's asking questions. What is he likely to do when those questions start giving him answers?"

"With any luck we'll have gone too far for him to back out. Although... I'm wondering quite why the Guild decided we needed these two along with us in the first place."

"No idea. Perhaps they will explain once we return to Palarand."

The valley of the Bray was wide and gently sloping here, near the confluence with the Palar and the Sufen. It was heavily farmed, with only small stands of trees dotting the arrays of fields, most now plowed ready for winter crops. The sun shone, there was a light breeze and the view was calm and ordered. Despite her internal twinges Garia had never felt so happy just riding along with her friends beside her.

"What are those?"

"Avians, Garia. Did you not..? Ah, I remember, there was some confusion when we talked of such things before. You said, I remember, you did not have avians on Earth."

"Apart from insects our flying creatures are called birds and bats. The fact that neither of those seem to translate in my head to avians worries me."

"Perhaps we may snare one for you to examine. That way you can tell us what difference there is between avians and the flying animals of Earth."

"If you wish, but I wouldn't make a special project of it. We've plenty of time and I'm sure we'll come across one sometime. Besides, there are other things flying here that aren't avians, aren't there?"

"Oh?"

"I can think of grakh and ptuvils. Perhaps there are others."

"You are right. I had overlooked those." He frowned. "Perhaps you were right when you said Anmar is a collection of creatures from other worlds, brought here for some unknown purpose."

"It's getting so that I'm no longer sure what I think any more. Every time I turn round there's something new and strange." She winced. "Uh, this is so not pleasant."

"Should you be riding?"

"It makes no difference, Keren. It's not like taking a piss or anything like that. What happens, happens, we have no control over it. I have heard it said that it uses the same muscles as when a woman gives birth and you know how controllable that is."

"Milady, I wish to learn no more. Perhaps Jenet has something that may help?"

"Duh! I should have thought of that. I'll go ask her."

Garia reined in to the side and let two wagons pass her then pulled alongside the last, where Jenet was sitting beside Helen.

"I don't suppose you have anything in that pouch of yours which can help me at the moment? I remember Margra pounding up potions and strange green mixtures."

"I do, milady. Not in my pouch, it is true, but near at hand. I wondered when you didn't say anything at breakfast. You are in need?"

"It's beginning to be noticeable, Jenet. Oh, there's no need to stop, I'm not feeling bad enough for that, but when we next stop will be fine."

"As you wish, milady."

The mood was catching. All up and down the train the disguises were slowly falling away like dust washed off by fresh rain. The guardsmen all sat up straight and became more alert, observant and protective. Their aliases also faded away causing amusement among Jaxen's men but only confusion with the two guildsmen. Jaxens' men in their turn also took the mood of their fellows and sharpened their behavior, easy because besides D'Janik both Samir and Bildo had previously served as men-at-arms. It seemed all knew that their destination was not far and they wanted to prepare themselves for any eventuality.

"Did you hear that?" Yarling growled to Bezan. "I swear that man addressed Master Kethen as Highness. What transpires here? Do you know?"

"Me? I have been told just as much as you, brother. Are you sure you heard right? The wagons are noisy on the road."

"I know what I heard. And the men seem different, somehow. What is going on?"

"All I know is that we have been contracted to travel with these people for some purpose which requires our abilities. Calm yourself, brother. Whatever the real names of these people may be, we still have a contract with them."

"As you say." But Yarling wasn't happy. "Another thing. Last night the inn-keeper spoke of... Blackstone." He said the name as though he was swearing. "We were told that this was merely a device to divert others. Yet this is the road to Blackstone, is it not?"

"It is also the road which leads over the mountains to the eastern coast, brother. Naturally Jaxen would choose some town along our present route since any could see which way we left Tranidor. He merely keeps up the pretense until we are out of sight."

"Hmph. There is much about this enterprise which troubles me."

"I agree, it is unusual, but any new venture might seem unusual. Shall you not wait until we are properly told?"

"Since I must, then so I must do. You find nothing strange in this? You are not troubled?"

Bezan shrugged. "If I do, there is little I may do, and in any event the truth will soon be told. Why bother worrying?"

Yarling snarled and rode forward to find someone else to bother. Keren chose that moment to join Bezan.

"He is unhappy with what he finds here?" Keren asked.

"He is, like many, a person who does not like being led around by the nose, Master Kethen. He would rather have his facts presented to him beforehand." He looked at Keren out of the corner of his eye. "Or should I call you Highness, as I have just heard one of the men name you?"

Keren grinned. "I have been called many things in my years, guildsman. As to what I may be called presently you will have to draw your own conclusions. Some of the men, I grant you, may have an exaggerated respect for the son of the person who is said to be their employer."

Bezan considered these statements carefully for a moment, then grinned back. "I believe I understand... master. You travel this way to keep the lady safe, is that it?"

"I knew you would understand, guildsman. If you would stay your tongue until we halt for lunch then I think the time for concealment will have passed."

"As you command... Highness."

Keren relaxed. "Tell me, I have not visited this region before. Can you tell me anything of it?"

"Very little, Highness. This end of the Bray valley, through which we travel, is as you see rich farmland. On the eastern side of the Palar this far up there are few minerals, as I understand it. I am no miner. Further up the ground changes completely and becomes a virtual wasteland. Of Blackstone itself I know only by reputation and hearsay. There are farms there, but mostly pakh farmers and just enough crops to provide for themselves and their beasts through the year."

"What of the town?"

Bezan shook his head. "Again, I know very little, Highness. By all accounts it is little better than a large village. It is known as a poor area, with strange people." He shrugged. "That is often said about remote areas, Highness. The truth maybe somewhat different."

"As you say."

The caravan pulled into one of the rest areas for a break. Jenet and Garia immediately went for the comfort block, in this case basic but adequate. When they returned to the circled wagons Garia found that Sukhana had brewed up some of the necessary herbs for her.

"Oh, thank you, Sookie. You didn't have to do that for me."

"It saves us time, milady. Besides, I am often the lone woman with the train and have to make my own potions. I am well practised in the art."

"I think, in view of the fact that I will doubtless need such potions in the future, that I might benefit from that knowledge, Sookie."

"But, milady!" Jenet protested.

"Yes, I know that you can do it, Jenet, but it never hurts to learn new things."

"If you put it like that, milady."

Onward they went. The valley began to climb towards distant hills and the road climbed with it. The farms became sparse and then ceased altogether, the land becoming covered by broad-leafed forest instead. The sun was beginning to get warm and the shade from the trees which now lined the road was welcome. Soon they reached a well-appointed camping area with a large roadhouse set back from the road with separate toilet and bathing blocks. There were no other stalls or booths here, reflecting the reduced traffic along this quieter route.

Jaxen and Keren stood eyeing the establishment while the others of the company used the facilities.

"Do you not trust them, Jaxen?"

"I don't know, Highness. I have only traveled this way once and I do not remember what happened last time. Such places on the edges of Palarand sometimes have an unsavory reputation."

"But we are not on the edge of Palarand, are we? The whole of the Bray valley lies within the borders. My father's rule - or rather the Duke Gilbanar's rule - extends here, surely."

"You are right, of course, Highness. I just have a feeling..."

"Are your feelings reliable?"

"More often than not. Very well, Highness, we shall try the food. We are a large party in any case, there should not be trouble, but we must keep our wits about us."

"As you say, Jaxen."

In the event there was no trouble, but as Jaxen was paying the tab on his way out, after everyone else had left, the proprietor asked him, "Where bound, wagonmaster? Chaarn? It will be a long pull over the passes."

"As it happens no, my friend. We head for Blackstone, I have a special commission there."

"Ah? In that case, are you licensed to carry mails? I have some for there, you might take them."

"I am, Master Tanon has long held a mail license both in Palarand and in many surrounding countries. Do you wish to see my letter of authority?"

"That won't be necessary, Master Tanon's name is well-known throughout Palarand. I have bags, I shall have them brought down for you."

"As you wish. I thought Blackstone was served by the Messenger Service, as are all parts of Palarand."

"There are so few letters and packets for the upper end of the valley that they are usually left here by Messengers who are going over the pass. Normally someone from the valley collects them from here. You see, the valley folk don't often come down to go to Tranidor and there are few who wish to go the other way so we are often used as a transfer point for goods and produce for Blackstone and the valley. Someone comes down every week or so to collect goods and mail and leave produce to go to Tranidor."

"Ah? I suppose that is reasonable, if the valley is so remote."

"As you say. If I may ask, what business does your principal have in Blackstone?"

Jaxen shrugged. "That I do not know, friend. I am merely providing transport for them."

Keren came back into the common room. "Some problem, wagonmaster?"

"Not at all, master. If you would help me with these bags?"

Outside Jaxen said, "Have you yet spoken to them, Highness?"

"Not yet, I was waiting for you. Why?"

"I think my feelings were right, Highness, but I cannot yet say why. These, as you can see, are Messenger bags with mail for Blackstone. It seems that the service no longer goes there."

"Oh? That's unusual, isn't it?"

"Well... it is a remote, rural area, Highness. Nevertheless, I would like to suggest that, whatever you may tell them, we should keep to our disguise until we know what is happening in the town."

"You mean, go in as we are, rather than all in uniforms and with banners flying?"

"Aye, Highness. As before we can find out what the local sentiment might be before we declare their new Baroness to them."

"Are you sure that will be necessary?"

"I don't think it will hurt, Highness." He smiled. "It will save their uniforms some wear and tear, if nothing else."

"Very well."

The mail bags were secured in a locked compartment underneath the chuck wagon before Keren called everyone into a circle again. This time he stood alone in the center.

"Most of you know who we really are. For the benefit of our two guildsmen friends I will tell them now that I am Prince Keren, son of King Robanar. Having recently come of age I am traveling our great country to know its lands and peoples. The journey we are presently on has a particular purpose and that is to travel to Blackstone to investigate certain... resources said to be there."

"Blackstone?" Yarling swore. "I knew it was so! Highness," he bent a knee to Keren. "I mean no disrespect to you or your father but this is a wasted errand. There is nothing in Blackstone that could interest anyone."

"Nothing, guildsman? Can you say that when you do not even know what we seek?"

Yarling looked uncertain. "Uh, that is true, Highness. But what..?"

"You shall find out in due course, guildsman. Unless, of course, you do not wish to continue with us? I would release you with no penalty here and now if you feel so strongly about the matter."

Yarling flushed. "I cannot... it would mean disgrace, Highness, should I withdraw. I consider myself to be honorable, therefore I will stay with the company."

Keren resumed. "Very well. Joining me on this journey is my adopted sister Garia who the King has given the title Baroness Blackstone. You know her as Buffy." Yarling started. "She is traveling with me to inspect the lands the King granted her. With her is her maid Jenet and her secretary Merizel, who is the daughter of a baron and also a lady of the court.

"Now, I notice that some of you have slipped into giving us our true titles, and on the road that is of little consequence. However, until we say so, I ask that you still call us by our alternative names and titles when in other company and when we reach Blackstone. We do not know what the situation is there and milady wishes to see how the population lives before she reveals herself." It was Garia's turn to give a start, since this had not been discussed with Keren before he spoke. "This also means that we should keep our various colors concealed. It does not mean," he grinned, "that you can all go back to being indolent wagon guards. We will shortly be leaving the caravan route over the pass and may be on unfriendly ground. Keep your eyes open and your weapons to hand at all times."

"Unfriendly ground, Highness?"

"A suggestion only, Varno. But this is normal operational procedure when out in the field, is it not? You must assume that the land is unfriendly even when it is familiar. Where we are going is familiar to none of us."

"Of course, Highness. I wasn't thinking."

"I don't blame you, Varno. Until now this journey has been just like a casual ride out to meet friends. I can tell you that I do not know if there will be friends waiting for us in Blackstone. We must prepare ourselves in case there are not. Am I understood?"

There was a chorus of, "Aye, Highness."

"Very well. Dismissed. Jaxen, you may place the men as you desire."

"Thank you, Highness."

Jaxen sent out an advance party and also a rearguard which proved that he was taking Keren seriously. The wagons pulled out and almost immediately the road began to rise, angling right up the face of the hill they were passing. The slope was not steep enough to cause the dranakhs problems but their pace slowed noticeably. On their left the ground sloped away beneath the trees to the river which could be heard occasionally but not seen.

They came across a part of the road where there had been a landslide in times past. The road had been swept away and Garia could see that many, many wagonloads of rock had been tipped into the breach to repair the gap. Beside her, Bezan surveyed the patched pavement.

"I would not wish to be the person who had to repair this road, milady."

"No. I bet it took them a long time and lots of effort. Still, it had to be repaired, didn't it, else the entire route would be closed."

They passed over the patched area and Garia stopped, sliding from Snep's back. She stood at the edge of the road, her eyes shaded, looking down.

"Milady? Do you see something?"

"Yes, look here." She pointed to the side of the breach.

"A marker, milady." His tone said, 'so what?'

"Yes, but if you look closely not a Chivan marker. That stone is next to it, broken off I guess by a stray boulder from the landslide."

"I do not follow."

"I wondered if the rest of the original stone was visible, down the slope somewhere. Yes! That looks like it."

Garia immediately began scrambling down the slope, heedless of the small rocks and stones she sent tumbling. Above, the wagons came to a halt and Keren reined in beside Bezan.

"What's happened? Did she fall?"

"She's looking for a stone, Highness. I know not what for."

"A stone?"

Bezan pointed to the marker and the stump next to it. Keren dismounted.

"Come on! She may need our help to climb back up again."

"Of course, Highness."

The two scrambled down after Garia while a number of the men looked on until Jaxen told them to resume their positions. Garia waited for the others beside a flat stone about twenty strides down the slope from the road.

"Is it any good?" Keren asked when he reached her. She merely pointed at the surface of the slab. It read:

DECIMUS ME FECIT

"I think that answers that question," she said.

"That looks like English," he said, brushing the loose dirt from the stone.

"It isn't, but it is from a language that uses the same letters as English called Latin. That's the language the Romans spoke all those thousands of years ago. Will you two help me turn it over? There should be more on the other side."

The two men manhandled the slab over, carefully lowering it so that it would not shatter. The slope was steep, the job was difficult but they succeeded. The other side answered all Garia's questions.

<- CXLIV DECARINIUM

<- XXIX TRIFLUVIUM

CASTELLUM SEPTENT. VC ->

SAXUM NIGER XXXIX ->

"I've seen markings like those before," Bezan said. "There are some old stones in the Masons' Guildhall that have writing like this on them. Nobody has any idea what they mean but we assume that it is the writing the Chivans used. Is that so, milady?"

"Indeed it is, Bezan. And I can read it. Sort of. The top line says, 'Decarinium one hundred forty-four marks', the next line 'Trifluvium twenty-nine marks', the third line 'Castellum Septent ninety-five marks' and the bottom line 'Saxum Niger thirty-nine marks'. Hmm. I guess the top line is what you now call Dekarran, isn't it? The name sounds so similar it must have lasted over the years."

"How far did you say?" Keren asked.

"One hundred forty-four marks."

He nodded. "That sounds about right. Good work, Garia! What about the other lines? Do they mean anything?"

"My knowledge of Latin is rather sketchy, I'm afraid. After all it's a language that's been mostly dead for a thousand years. However, my own language uses ideas and words from it so there's a kind of resemblance. Let's see: Trifluvium is... three rivers, I think. Of course! That's Tranidor, isn't it? As for the rest, I'm not so sure. I guess Castellum is a castle or maybe a fort, Romans did forts everywhere... Sept is to do with seven so maybe it's the seventh fort? Niger has to mean black, but I don't see... of course! The bottom line must be Blackstone. Thirty nine marks away that direction, that would be about right, wouldn't it? I don't know what Saxum is but I'll bet it means stone of some kind."

Bezan stared at her. "Do you tell me you understand the Chivans' writing, milady? How is this possible?"

She smiled at him, knowing that a long talk was forecast. "Because the Chivans and I came from the same place, Bezan. Those people were ancestors of the people I belong to."

There was a hail from up above. "What's happened? Did someone fall?"

Keren replied. "We're okay, Jaxen. We'll be up immediately." He turned to Garia. "Do you need assistance?"

She looked at the steep slope, covered in loose boulders. "Maybe. Let's get back, we're holding everyone up."

Each assisting the other they managed to get so far up the slope by themselves. By that time Jaxen had a rope unshipped and the end thrown down so that they could haul themselves up using it. When they regained the road again Garia discovered that Jaxen was unhappy.

"What happened, milady? Did you drop something, perhaps?"

"No, Jaxen. I saw that that marker stone had broken off and I wondered if I could read it if I found it."

"But milady, the stone has been replaced, it is there."

"Not what the stone says now, Jaxen," Keren elaborated, "She means what was written originally on the stone... by the Chivans."

"And did you have answer, milady?"

"Oh, yes, Jaxen. The top half of the old stone had the original markings still visible and it has answered a lot of questions."

"Perhaps, milady. But did you think, you departed the road into an area we could not give you aid? Below there may be lawless men or a band of brigands or even wild animals. If you had been attacked we would not have had time to descend to your side." Jaxen turned. "And you, Highness! If it was unwise of Milady Garia to descend without preparation then for you to follow her was complete folly. You place the throne itself in jeopardy."

Keren reddened. "Jaxen, you have my humblest apologies. I was a fool to put myself at risk like that."

Garia was upset. "I'm sorry, Jaxen! That was stupid of me. I saw the broken-off marker and went down without thinking."

Jaxen nodded. "You are both still young and you have not the experience of travel in regions such as these. I trust you shall both take more care in future?"

"As you desire, wagonmaster," Keren said.

"Certainly, Jaxen," Garia said. "It was stupid of me to do that, for a number of reasons." She grimaced. "Do you know how far our next stopping place is? I am in urgent need of a bath."

"Milady? Are you hurt, or merely dirty?"

She shook her head. "Nothing so simple, Jaxen. I moved around too much while scrambling down and up and things have come adrift..."

Jaxen cocked his head, so she explained with a single word. "Kalikan."

All the men nearby went pale and took a step back.

Garia gave a small forced smile. "It isn't catching, you know. Just... messy. Jaxen?"

"Milady? Um, it's not that simple. I have a note from the team that brought that original consignment back, milady. It seems the facilities along the Blackstone road are neglected and they were forced to camp elsewhere." He brightened. "Beside the river, as it happens. That may serve your purposes, milady, but we will not arrive there until late this afternoon."

They all turned to look out over the forest, sweeping away from them towards the valley floor.

"That seems a long way down, Jaxen," Keren observed.

"The road that leads to Blackstone turns away within the next mark, Highness. I trust this means that our way will descend, unlike the main road which creeps ever higher. Milady, can you manage?"

"I must, Jaxen. Let's get going."

Idiot! I allowed myself to get distracted, and now this... Eww. Thank the stars I'm wearing these breeches or it would be running down my legs.

What was I thinking? Jaxen is dead right. Anyone or anything could have been down there under the trees! Stupid, stupid, stupid!

"Milady?" It was Jenet.

"Ah, lets move away from these men."

The men were, in fact dispersing, getting ready to move on. Two stayed near Garia and Jenet, crossbows at the ready. Garia gave them a sign and walked, awkwardly, a few paces.

"Something's shifted and I'm leaking," she explained. "I'll need to bathe as soon as I can and I'm sure these breeches will be ruined."

"Milady, you should not have -" Jenet caught sight of Garia's expression. "I see you already know this. Which may be better for you? Snep's back or a wagon seat?"

Garia sighed, then wrinkled her face in disgust.

"Are we sure that the breeches are secure enough? Yes? Then I'll stick with Snep, I think." She shuddered. "Perhaps stick isn't the word I should be using."

Snep caught his owner's distress as she mounted and did his best to make sure that she stayed put in the saddle with as little movement as possible. The caravan moved off and almost immediately came to a fork in the road. The trade route continued to edge higher up the mountainside while the side road immediately began to angle back under the trees into the valley.

In this way the afternoon passed. There was a brief stop for a drink but nobody said anything when Garia stayed in the saddle. She grew more uncomfortable and more miserable with every mark that passed. They moved on, deeper under the trees, on what was a smaller, narrower road but still bearing the signature of Chivan construction. Jaxen had been counting the markers and soon brought the procession to a stop, a scrap of parchment in his hand. Keren and Garia rode forward to join him.

"Highness, remember I said that the camp site was no good? The other train turned off the road somewhere along here to make camp well away from the road to avoid surprises. They marked the place for future use by sawing a branch from a tree."

He gestured to a tree on the right side of the road which had a lower branch cleanly removed. Turning, he examined the ground between the trees.

"I think it should be possible to take our wagons through there with care. First, though, I want to send the advance party forward to find out if there is another tree with a cut branch ahead of us."

"You suspect a trap?" Keren asked, searching the vicinity between the tree trunks.

"It is possible, Highness. A few moments pause here will ease our concerns."

He gave orders to three men and they moved off up the road. Others he asked to fan out on the left and try and discover any wagon tracks under the leaf litter. Keren turned to Garia.

"You don't look all that good, Garia."

"I don't feel all that good, Keren. I did something stupid and I'm paying for it."

Keren frowned but decided it was better to keep quiet than possibly make things worse. They waited, tense, in front of the front wagon until the men came riding back.

"This is the only cut branch, sir. We went almost a mark and found nothing similar. We did reach the camp site and found it as you described. The area hasn't been used for some time. There's a latrine block and a bath house with a boiler to the side for heating water, but the roofs of both have been burnt away, probably some years ago."

Jaxen nodded. "Very well. We need to turn through these trees, head for the river. It seems the way can be made out if we look hard enough."

The wagons jolted off the road and between the trees. Fortunately the forest was mostly clear of ground cover which meant that it was reasonably easy for the wagons to pick their way between the trunks. Jaxen made sure that any disturbance made by their passage was concealed by their rear guard.

They had traveled almost a mark when the trees suddenly ended. They were faced with a low, broken wall and a strip of blue sky which was obviously above the river. The space between the wall and the trees had been cleared for about a bowshot but the state of the visible stumps showed that this was not recent. The river made itself apparent by the loud roar which made it necessary to speak in raised tones.

"What's this, Jaxen?"

"I think it's the remains of an old Chivan fort, Highness. The river lies beyond. If we can get inside, it may provide enough defense for our overnight stay."

"As you say. I think there's a gap that way. The river is loud, isn't it?"

Once through the gap in the wall an overgrown but treeless area was revealed. Wagon ruts and firepits showed where it had been used by previous travelers. D'Jenik rode through a narrow opening on the far side and then returned, beckoning to Garia and Keren. They followed him to discover they were on a strip of land between the river and the fort - and the river disappeared abruptly to their left over a jumble of rocks.

"Will this suffice for bathing, Garia?" Keren shouted over the din.

"Maybe," she shouted back. "I'll let Jaxen get camp set up and guards posted before I do anything."

The wagons were drawn up in a square in the middle of the fort. The dranakhs, once released, headed immediately for the forest to find forage. A picket line was set up for the frayen and then the men were assigned watches and duties. The chuck wagon was opened and cooking equipment brought out ready for the evening meal. Sukhana approached Garia, sympathy in her eyes.

"I sorry this had to happen to you, kid. It's the part I least like about being a woman. I'm amazed you wanted to ride at all today."

"It wasn't the riding, Sookie. Snep was a lot smoother than a wagon seat would have been. It was the climbing down and up that slope did me in. I should have stayed put, instead I've made myself all -" Garia made an ick face. "I didn't have to do that then, it could have been looked at on the way back. I didn't even have to go down there myself."

"What was down there anyhow that was so important?"

"One of the original marker stones with the original Chivan writing still visible on it. Which I can read."

"Oh, I see! So... does that mean you're a Chivan, then?"

"No, not unless I'm more than fifteen hundred years old, Sookie. But the Chivans came from my world, that's now certain."

"As you say. Well, there's food to prepare, now, for all these fine men." She held up a hand as Garia opened her mouth. "There's no chance you can do anything while you're in that state, kid. Get yourself washed up and maybe you can help later. Milady Merizel says she will help and a couple of the boys will do the hard work."

Garia contented herself by helping to dole out fodder for the frayen while she waited for the camp routine to settle. Watching them eat the hay which she pulled from compressed blocks seemed to calm her down, although she was still feeling fragile.

I need animals in my future. Whatever I end up doing or being, working with these seems to be good for me.

She idly examined the enclosure as the animals chomped their hay.

No, not a fort, it's nowhere near big enough. A good Roman fort would have been four times the size of a football field and filled with enough buildings to house a legion. This is more like... a compound like those you see in the middle east or Afghanistan. It'll do for -

One of her armsmen interrupted her musings.

"Soomit. What can I do for you?"

"If you would join us, milady. We have discovered something." As he led Garia through the camp he explained, "We were asked to investigate the area downstream, milady. The river goes over rocks and then falls, which is why it is so loud." He was having to shout now, as they reached the river bank. Jenet was waiting. "This way, milady."

He led them to the left, downstream, to the point at which the river disappeared with a deafening roar. Below there was a jumble of hard rock which the river poured over. It was more a cascade than a true waterfall, the water tumbling thirty feet or so over and between the boulders.

Soomit led them part way down the slope beside the falls onto the rocks which caused the obstruction. D'Janik was waiting there to mark the place.

"If you follow me, milady," Soomit said, "and mind where you place your feet, I will show you what we discovered."

He led them down into the falls, stepping onto large boulders round which water poured. They were about a third of the way down the cascade. Suddenly it became quieter.

"That's better. Round here, milady."

The boulders had fallen into such a formation that a space had been left in the middle of the falls. A clear pool lay before them, water entering from between two of the boulders which formed the rear wall of the recess and exiting over another which formed part of the lip.

"We wondered if this would be suitable for your bath, milady. See, you cannot be seen from above, below or from either bank. There is even a dry space for your clothes behind, here." He gestured. "If a guard is placed at the entrance you will be entirely private."

Garia looked around. "It's perfect, Soomit. Thank you for finding this for me. Us, I mean, because I know the other ladies will want to use it as well." She looked around. "I guess we might be seen, I suppose, if anyone were to climb those trees down there..." She smiled, the first time since she had climbed down to the marker stone. "I'm sure we'd notice if they did that! Jenet, Let's get bathing."

"Milady, I shall fetch soap and fresh underwear," Jenet said. "Shall you stand at the bank until I return?"

"I will, Jenet."

Jenet, after telling Sukhana and Merizel what had been found, returned with essentials and joined Garia at the side of the pool where they both stripped. Garia baulked at the smell that came from her breeches.

"I don't care what anyone says, Jenet, I'll never get used to that smell."

"As you say, milady. After we have cleaned ourselves I will wash your things in the pool." She examined the breeches at arm's length. "The cloth would dry out tonight but I am concerned about the leather parts. Perhaps this design may need some adjustment in future."

That's telling me, tactfully, Garia thought. It seemed a good idea at the time, but however was such a garment going to be cleaned? Especially after accidents like today's?

"As you say, Jenet." Garia stripped the rest of her garb off and stepped into the pool. "It's cold! Not too bad, actually, but I'd hate to have to wash in here in winter." She thought back. "I think this is the first time I've washed in cold water since I arrived on Anmar. What do you think?"

"Milady, you may be right."

With the water constantly flowing round them it didn't take long to clean Garia up. The coldness of the water meant that there was no temptation to stay in the pool so both climbed out and toweled each other off before dressing again. Garia dressed in everything she had been wearing before but with fresh underwear and no breeches. As they were checking each other's tapes and knots Merizel came round the boulder to join them.

"My! This is a wonderful place, isn't it?"

"Yes, it's exactly what I needed, Merry. Will you bathe like us?"

"I'm busy with dinner, Garia. I came over to fetch water and I thought I'd see what all the fuss was about."

"It's brilliant, isn't it? Will you wash tonight? It may be too dark by the time we've eaten."

"We'll all come first thing tomorrow morning, Garia. You are all cleaned up now?"

"I am, and I hope I never end up like that ever again! It wasn't funny. All done, Jenet? Let's all go back together."

"Milady, I have some washing to do. If you would return with Milady Merizel?"

"Of course, Jenet. I'll come find you when the meal is ready."

Garia and Merizel joined the others round the main fire, where a carcase the size of a wild boar roasted on a spit - except this carcase had six legs. Another fire had a cauldron of simmering vegetables which Sukhana was stirring. Garia looked at the amount of food and did a double-take, then glanced round the camp counting up their numbers.

No wonder Yarling thought we were an army, there are twenty-seven of us! And there's another six or so away with Captain Bleskin... we're certainly strong enough to deal with any trouble.

Sukhana saw Garia and smiled. "Feel better now, milady? I won't ask you to help with the food tonight, I have enough willing hands. Just rest until we are ready to eat."

"As you wish, Sookie."

Garia found a creeper-covered stone block and sat down to watch.

Just how did this happen? I was all happy this morning and now this. By making a serious error of judgement I've put the whole project at risk. I was crazy to agree to do any of this.

Merizel loomed out of the fading light. "Shift up, Garia."

"I'm an idiot," Garia muttered as her friend joined her on the stone. "I put myself at risk, I put the whole Kingdom at risk, just to satisfy my curiosity over something that didn't even matter that much. This whole journey is just crazy, I should never have come. I'm just a stupid little girl who should have stayed safely in the palace. I've no business out here where I know next to nothing about the dangers we face."

"I know you by now," Merizel replied. "How Kalikan affects you. You were in good spirits this morning, and then you have one little setback and start thinking you are inadequate. It's not so, Garia. You are certainly not stupid and you were never a little girl. You might be young and you are small, it is true, but you are a woman and a noble with responsibilities. You fight better than almost all the men here, you can ride a frayen as though born on one and you are smart enough to be able to handle most dangers we might face. Those we cannot, then the men will protect us as they are sworn to do. Just four or five days every month, Garia, that is all we have to bear and in time you will adjust to what you may do and what you should not."

The tears trickled down Garia's cheeks as she grasped Merizel's hand.

"You are right, Merry. It's these damned hormones, isn't it? It all kinda sucked me in without me realizing it." Garia pulled out a cloth from her pouch and wiped her face. "You're right, I'll adapt in time, I'm sure." She smiled weakly. "Aren't you supposed to be stirring something or poking that carcase?"

"The men seem to think they can do that better so I'm not going to object. Come on, we'd better get the plates out, it will soon be ready."

After a delicious meal of roast vikhan with vegetables and gravy the food plates and utensils were cleaned up and put away. Everyone settled down round the two fires with mugs and goblets to rest for a while before turning in. Merizel went off to rummage in the back of a wagon and returned with her dajan.

"I thought I'd favor you with a tune or two before we settle down," she said brightly. The men perked up at the mention of entertainment.

"Milady," one of them asked, "is it only courtly music you know, or have you some of the common songs as well?"

"I know some of each," she replied. "I won't do any dance music or the more formal ballads I might have done in my father's court, those wouldn't be right for this gathering. Let me start with some of the popular tunes."

As she began plucking Keren came and sat down beside Garia.

"I didn't know she had brought her dajan with her," he said. "It will be just right for this company tonight, I think. How are you feeling now?"

"Much better now I'm clean and with food in my stomach," she replied. She added more quietly, "Much better now you are here."

He slid an arm round her waist. "I don't like seeing you upset, Garia. I don't think any of the men do. I don't have to ask that you be more careful tomorrow."

"No," she replied dryly. "I've learned that lesson somewhat well, thank you. Hush! Let's listen to Merry."

She leaned into his side and they joined the company listening as Merizel played one tune after another. Some they just let her play by herself, others, obviously common songs, they joined in with gusto and sometimes laughter. By degrees Garia relaxed and regained her equilibrium.

"Milady," Jaxen asked during a brief break, "shall you favor us with a song? I have heard it said that at one time you sang at court."

"Ah, no, Jaxen," she replied. "Not tonight, not after today's unfortunate episode. You are right, though, I did sing, and perhaps one day soon I'll sing you some songs from Earth. No promises, though."

"As you wish, milady. Milady Merizel? A last song, if you please, then we should get ready for the night. We have only some thirty marks to travel tomorrow to reach the end of our journey but there are some... signs... we ought not ignore. I wish to arrive while there is still plenty of light."

up
391 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I love the progress your making

It can be frustrating at times, waiting for chapters to come out, so any wait is tough, but you have done us all so well recently with regular updates that even grouchy old folks can be happy with the progress your making. The story is also doing well, and thank you for writing it, and all it's twists and turns keeping us on the edge of our seats.

Draflow

Yeah....what Draflow said.

Yeah....what Draflow said. Smile

Dance the dream you're in

Posting frequency

If I had made these half the size I could have posted twice as often, which looking back might have been a better idea. On the other hand each of these is an elapsed day which works out quite nicely.

If I had made these even smaller we'd be up to about chapter 200 by now and well on the way to Bike proportions, which I'm desperately trying to avoid. Ah, well, the intentions were good, right at the start...

It can be frustrating writing this at times, too. It's not that I have writer's block or anything like that, the story just pours out naturally. (There have been one or two occasions where I've had to stop and say: "Hang on a minute! Better plan this out.." but not many.)

The big problem is (i) finding time and having enough health to actually sit down and write the thing and (ii) having my computer equipment up to scratch to allow me to do so. Just recently I have retired, which means a lump sum, so I have upgraded practically every bit of equipment we own. That meant building eleven computers from scratch and I'm not quite finished yet.

Fun times. At least I can now sit down and rattle away. Projected posting rate is once a week. Ish.

Penny

11 computers?!

I assume some of those were for friends and family - even building in redundancy and some home servers wouldn't amount to that much!

Anyway, enjoy your retirement - although knowing a few retirees they often tend to find themselves busier than in their official working life...

As for story length, given it's only been a couple of months of timeline so far, I expect it will end up somewhere in the 150-200 chapter range - so quite a lot, but nowhere near Bike proportions (approaching 2,000 in the next year!)

Meanwhile, it's definitely been confirmed that a couple of Roman road engineers have visited Anmar in the past (maybe not quite as long ago as 1,600+ years); and given the ubiquity of Marks, they may have taught some locals, but as with Earth they knowledge eventually got lost over time.

As for the residents of Blackstone, I imagine that being an isolated community, they're probably very insular and will initially resent the invasion. However, given they've already discovered that the local rock happens to make a pretty good fuel, some may be enticed by the prospect of increasing their income / furthering the development of their backwater; while others will undoubtedly remain stick-in-the-muds, harking back to "the good old days" when everyone left them alone.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Story length

Actually the timeline has been nearer five months (the rainy season was two!). I really, really hope I won't end up writing quite so many chapters as you suggest. Strangely, I wouldn't mind doing that as this is the kind of saga that can run and run...

Except that there is a definite plan in place and I'm trying desperately to stick to it. Much though I like losing myself in this world there are other things I must write and other things I must do in my life.

I'll be sad when this ends, but that's what happens to every author when they complete a story. Never mind! Other fun things may follow!

Blackstone: hmm, you (and others) have a fair idea what that community is going to be like. However, there is one factor nobody has expected... {evil grin}

Penny

True Garia won't live forever of course

But there is no reason why say a descendant in some future time or another visitor from somewhere else entirely (from another universe?) gets sent on a mission to Anmar to bump development even further, say warp travel? Anmar as a star faring civilization? Anmar The Next Generation anybody? Anyway, it does not have to be a continuation of Garia's story. Alternatively, it could be a tale of Garia's life a couple of decades later. Why not have a transgender tale of Anmar? Other social issues can be explored in some perspective in light of a time of heavy development when Garia's warnings and predictions finally come true and somebody has to carry the torch to work on solutions.

Kim

Still on the hook....willingly

Tanya Allan's picture

I can't wait for the next instalment ...this is really great! I love the little clues... More please!

Tanya

There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes!

Number From The Left

joannebarbarella's picture

I...II...III...IV....V....VI

So the Romans were here. So who's pulling the strings and why?

Joanne

Romans

Don't hold your breath. It will only take one person to give them paper, forks, steam engines, etc. So, probably just a very small number of Romans came this way.

As to who is pulling the strings... it's not quite that simple, and not entirely a question of pulling strings.

To get all the answers [that you are ever going to get] you'll have to wait till I've finished. Heck I'll have to wait till I've finished... :)

Thank you for reading.

Penny

However, considering this was

However, considering this was probably the _first_ Roman empire (which predates Christianity. That was primarily the Second Roman Empire), it's likely that the number of men was a factor of 10. 10, 20, up to 100, but unlikely more than 111. (One centurion, ten decurions, plus the base men). The Romans used the army as road and fort builders. That allowed them to have men trained in teamwork to do building, and that same teamwork made them just about invincible against bandits and even small uprisings.

Mind you, these aren't the same as the ones from a thousand years later (the Greek Romans, centered in Byzantine/Constantinople). That means that they would have been rough and ready, not very cosmopolitan, and wouldn't really 'advance' anything beyond the general building and drainage. If they rode, it wasn't very well - that was mostly a barbarian thing.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Road Less Traveled to

Road Less Traveled to Blackstone has revealed a mystery. Wondering what all Garia will need repaired there and on the road? It seems she has at least one ld fort and rest area to repair and maintain. What will she find at Casa Blackstone, let alone the village?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

More clues, more questions, more...

story. (grin) Every time we learn something at least another two questions come up. There does seem to be some cause for caution at this stage especially with the state of the way station/camping area. Burned? Given the infrequency of trade and it's importance to such and isolated community you'd think someone would have at least tidied things up there. After all someone went to a great deal of trouble to repair the road...

Hmmm.

And as suspected, the Chivans were Romans, or at least a few of them had to have been at the start of things for that ancient empire.

Interesting stuff.

Maggie

Road Repair

The repair area was on the trade route. They turned on the road to Blackstone shortly after the repaired area.

As you say, there is uncertainty regarding what they will find in Blackstone. Seems like even a remote area would have a government presence of some sort (under-lord, sheriff).

Still transfixed by this story.

The Roman connection is intriguing and the story gets ever mor intersting. Brilliant tale Jenny and I certainly don't mind the wait between chapters. Better to take one's time get the chapter right than rush it and spoil it. Thanks again for the pleasure this story brings.

Oh, and congrats on reaching retirement. I hope it wasn't health related cos you touched on that briefly in one of your responses.

Otherwise congratulations, especially on the Lumper thing. It sure helps and no mistake though why Eleven computers leaves my baffled.

Still, it tek's allusorts to spin a world.

Thanks again.

XX Bev.

bev_1.jpg

Health related

Regrettably, yes. I'm not yet old enough for the state pittance although I am old enough for a bus pass.

I worked in aerospace for five years then did 30+ in IT until I got dot-commed in 2002. After that as I needed cash I had a van and liked travelling so became a courier.

Cue four insane hectic years which basically accelerated what had been quietly going on with my body all my life: Fibromyalgia, they called it, although I consider it probably nearer Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - they have the same symptoms.

I had to stop because falling asleep on the blue roads isn't really viewed well by 'elf and safety :( It has also meant that I have stopped cycling. I still have the bikes and all the gear so may resume at some point in the future - but I'm not holding my breath, unfortunately.

Eleven computers? Yeah, well, it's complicated... I had to do an upgrade so actually thought through what we needed for a change, rather than bodging together the old boxes I accumulated over the years. Now we have all new kit, hopefully lasting a good few years into the future, each designed to do one specific task.

Of course, since I stopped work I've also upgraded myself from allegedly male to "some of each please, plenty of the pink stuff"!

Thanks for your comment,

Penny

Edit: the new computer kit also takes a great deal less power than the old stuff did. Important for power bills.

Not a pleasant experience for

Not a pleasant experience for Garia, sadly I doubt she will be able to bring Tampons to Polarand much as she might wish she could.

The news of a possible problem at Blackstone is worrisome, can't wait for the next update to see whether their fears are justified.

Big hugs

Lizzie :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

Problems

I just hope a troop from Yod had not tunneled through the mountains.
Also, you would be surprised at how self reliable isolated communities tend to become. So, they keep the road OK, but not the way stations.

Ladies be thankful for modern sanitary products

Perhaps she should spur on development of super absorbent paper pads for sanitary napkins and stuff. Check out the man who invented his own low cost sanitary pads:

http://www.themarysue.com/tampon-king/

and stuff in India. I suspect it is within the technological abilities of Palarand.

As as for traveling, fun and games are over, this is now more of a true military mission.

Garia will get use to her periods, most women do.

Kim

Creepier

It is getting more scary all the time. Will they be attacked out in the open?

G

Another Quickie Before Work

terrynaut's picture

I read this last night and finished just when the maintenance period kicked in so I couldn't leave a comment then. I'll sneak one in now.

I'm still loving this story. The latest thing to catch my eye was the idea of some of the critters being telepathic. How cool is that?!

Snep is still my favorite critter though. Good boy, Snep! Good boy!

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

Well if they are then than it would really bring up an issue

So how sentient are they? If they are, does it change what 'rights' they might have? What happens to old dranaghs anyway? The are of animal husbandry of work animals (eg frayen and dranaghs) is not clear? Do they get sent to a glue factory? Do they just go to pasture? The animals have already been shown to have an uncanny sense of timing and don't need to be rounded up to get back to work. If they are so high up in these abilities and intelligence why do they want to be draft animals? Clearly the humans already have a good relationship with them but what happens if they are abused? There is always some less than nice people.

So how long can they live? More intelligent animals on the whole live longer though that may be limited to warm blooded animals and tortoises live a long time but they are reptilian I believe.

Kim

Dranakhs

It's been hinted at very early in the story, but you might get some more definite information in chapters yet to come.

Basically, let me just say, you do not ever want to mess with a dranakh. They are animals but the relationship with humans is definitely one of co-operation (unlike your average frayen which just does what it is told). Let's just say that anyone wishing to abuse a dranakh is unlikely to survive the experience.

If they have their own reasons for teaming with humans, they aren't saying. If, indeed, they are capable of reasoning at all.

Just one more of the many mysteries that exist on Anmar.

Penny

Personally, if they were

Personally, if they were evolved from Hippo or Rhino stock, I could see where screwing them would be a BAD idea. As for the arm in the mouth? Seems sensible to me. Combination pheremone and 'taste' imprinting.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Just love Snep and the way story is going!

The last chapters have been fun with Snep and different people on the road! I don't mind if the story goes on for many more chapters as long as the writing is as great as it has been!

Hugs,
Sissy Baby Paula and Snowball (my toy puppy)

Chivans

The word "Chivan" seems to come from the word "civis". That should be "citizen" in Latin. And there seems to be a mistake in a Latin name. Blackstone should be called SAXUM NIGRUM. Latin adjectives have agreement in gender.
epain

depends on which Latin.

depends on which Latin. Remember that there was a several hundred year period of the first, Latin Roman empire. By the later stages, it was Greek, where the only true Latin speakers were the Isaurians. Latin didn't crystallise until it stopped being a living language, and was predominantly used by the Church, scholars, and lawyers.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Romans, huh?

hmm ...

DogSig.png

Romans

So maybe their society didn’t collapse just moved there

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Romans or whoever

Jamie Lee's picture

While they were cautious, they've been safe up to this chapter. The only attack was Garia's monthly, which she is still getting used to.

The broken marker shows someone who knew Latin wrote on them. Exactly who is just a guess on Garia's part, but it was done by a knowledgable person.

Others have feelings too.

Given the roads

It seems that there were enough (or was at least one with influence society wide) Roman influence to make roads similar to what were made in Europe. So... How many? We don't know. We know that the Empire was called the Chivan empire, So part of a legion with their Ligionier arrived and set up an empire with the Leader of the Legion giving name to an empire?

If I may direct you

...to Julia's excellent tale of what might have happened, um, perhaps two millennia previously.

Alibi Omnino, which means, appropriately, "Somewhere Else Entirely" in Latin.

Thank you for reading and commenting.

Penny