Lipstick And Lead Part 11

Printer-friendly version

 © August 2012


Part Eleven of Eleven

Chapter Eleven: Truth or dare

    Nicole woke and knew right away that something was wrong because she felt weak and she ached all over, which told Nicole that she’d been in bed for some time. Nicole went to sit up, but was soon being stopped by Sara.

     “Don’t move Nikki, you’ve been very ill.” Sara said as she appeared at the side of the bed and stopped Nicole.

     “How long have I been asleep, and how did I get an IV in my arm?” Nicole asked when she saw the drip and the tube going into her arm. She looked around to make sure she was still at the cabin and not in a hospital.

     “I’m sorry Nikki, but I had to call for some help when I couldn’t get you to wake up a couple of days ago.” Sara started to explain just as April walked into the bedroom.

     “Who did you call?” Nicole asked with some anger in her voice.

     “Don’t get upset with Sara, Nikki, she saved your life.” April said cutting Nicole off before she could say any more to Sara.

     “April?” Nicole asked looking confused. “You called Ferret?” Nicole asked looking at Sara again.

     “I remembered the card you gave my mother, and went down the mountain on the quad bike and called him.” Sara explained looking worried. “I couldn’t lose you, as well as mum.” Sara added as she broke down and fell on the bed next to Nicole in a flood of tears.

     “I’m sorry I worried you Sara.” Nicole said as she rubbed Sara on the back as she tried to comfort her. “So will I live?” Nicole asked as she looked at April.

     “Yes, you’ll live, but only because Sara was able to give you some of her blood. It was a good job you’re both related by blood.” April said as she removed the IV from Nicole’s arm. “You need to take it easy for the next week or so though.” April warned.

     “How much has she told you about our relationship?” Nicole asked as she looked down at Sara still sobbing at her side.

     “Sara had to explain about you once being her father, but don’t look so worried Nikki, Dan and I won’t judge you for it. Sara wouldn’t tell us anything about you apart from what we needed to know so we could save your life.” April explained. “I would like to hear all about it, and what you plan to do now you have a daughter.” April added as she looked at Sara cuddled up to her.

     “I was never her father, just the person that spent a night with her mother.” Nicole said in a choked voice as she thought about Samantha now being dead. “I don’t have any right to be her guardian, never mind a parent.” Nicole added as she let her head fall back on to the pillow.

     “You made my mum a promise to look after me when she was gone.” Sara said with tear streaked eyes as she lifted her head to look at Nicole. “I don’t have anyone else.” She added as the tears started again.

     “You must be hungry, so I’ll go and make you some soup while Sara helps you to get up and come out into the kitchen area.” April said as she turned and walked out of the bedroom.

     “I will keep my promise to your mother, but for the time being it looks like you’ll be the one looking after me.” Nicole said as she looked at Sara with a weak smile. “Do you think you can do that for me?” Nicole asked.

     “We can look after each other then.” Sara said as she got up off the bed and then set to work helping Nicole to get up and slip on a dressing gown, so Sara could then lead her out to the kitchen where April, Dan and Maggie were.

     “Good to see you back with the land of the living again Ice.” Dan said with a smile as he pulled out a chair at the kitchen table.

    Nicole looked a little shocked to find Dan still treating her like a lady now he knew the truth about her. “Thank you Dan, but you don’t need to pretend to be a gentleman with me.” Nicole added as she looked down at the table in shame; to worried too look Dan or any of them in the eyes.

     “I don’t know what sort of a boy you were, but it was Nicole the woman that saved me, April and Maggie.” Dan said as he sat down next to Nicole and made her look up at him, so she could see how serious he was.

     “Do you really mean that?” Nicole asked as she looked up at Dan, and then over at April stirring some soup in a saucepan on the stove.

     “Yes I mean that, and I know that April isn’t bothered about your past either, right sis?” Dan asked.

     “Nicole already knows my feelings.” April grinned as she looked over her shoulder at Dan and Nicole.

    This news seemed to cheer Nicole up quite a bit and she was soon being pampered by Sara when April placed a bowl of soup down in front of her. With one arm in a sling trying to help Nicole keep from moving her bad shoulder too much, it was down to Sara to help feed her.

     “I can hold a spoon Sara.” Nicole pointed out just before Sara placed the spoon to Nicole’s mouth.

     “I’m sure you could Nikki, but then you wouldn’t be resting would you?” Sara said as she slapped Nicole’s hand away before making her accept the spoon full of soup. “I’ll let you feed yourself some bread.” Sara added as she placed a slice of bread in Nicole’s hand.

    Nicole was soon done and then Sara helped her go out onto the porch and take a seat out there so she could get some fresh air before going back to bed. Dan and April sat with Nicole, while Sara got talked into playing a bat and ball game with Maggie for a bit.

     “You used to be Nicolas Johnson, didn’t you?” Dan asked as they watched Sara and Maggie running around giggling.

     “I thought I asked you not to look into any of this?” Nicole said with an air of annoyance in her voice.

     “I know what you said Nikki, but I was worried about the way you were acting over all this, so I looked at Samantha’s past and then I found a picture of a boy that looked a little like you.” Dan started to explain. “At first I thought he was maybe a relative, but I was left feeling confused when I couldn’t find any other living relatives.”

     “Well now you know the truth, and understand why I didn’t want you finding anything out. Nicolas Johnson is dead, and so is Samantha now, for what good I did.” Nicole said with sorrow in her voice.

     “Sara’s still alive thanks to you, but you weren’t to know that Athena had managed to track you down and follow you back here.” Dan argued.

     “I got sloppy and made mistakes, that’s what got Samantha killed.” Nicole wasn’t ready to forgive herself for what happened to Samantha just yet.

     “And they both would have died if you hadn’t turned up in that motel room.” Dan pointed out.

     “Dan is right Nikki. You did all you could, and I’m sure that Samantha is glad you’re going to be looking after her little girl. I know I would if it was me in her place thinking about Maggie being kept safe.” April said as she watched Maggie playing with Sara.

     “Samantha’s not thinking anything though is she? She’s dead.” Nicole growled.

     “You loved her didn’t you?” April asked.

     “I loved her in a way, but not as two people love each other in the way you think. More like the way you and Dan love each other, or two sisters love each other.” Nicole tried to explain. “Sara was something I never expected to see.” Nicole added with some pride for the one good thing to come out of her time as a boy called Nicolas.

     “How do you feel about finding out you have a daughter?” April asked.

     “I think my actions speak for themselves.” Nicole smiled. “I just wish I’d been more careful and kept them both alive.” Nicole added with a sigh as she looked towards the side of the house where she knew Samantha was now buried.

     “What’s the story with Sara; is she seeing a doctor about her transition?” April asked.

     “No not yet. Samantha was sorting out a move for her and Sara before they found a doctor and then she was going to transition in a new area where no one knew about Nicolas.” Nicole explained. “I got her some blockers and some hormones though.” Nicole added.

     “She needs to be monitored; you can’t just start giving her all these drugs Nikki.” April warned. “I think you and Sara should come back to my place, so I can keep an eye on you, and also help Sara.” April added.

     “I think it’s a good idea Nikki. April has the clinic now, so she can help keep an eye on the two of you and it will not show up anywhere if someone starts looking around.” Dan said backing up his sister’s idea.

     “It’s a veterinarian clinic.” Nicole pointed out.

     “It’s out in the country, so other than people bringing their pets out to be looked at, we don’t have to many unwanted visitors.” April added.

     “I don’t want to put anyone else in danger.” Nicole tried to argue.

     “I can look after you better back at my place than I can here, and I think Sara could use some company as well.” April said as she saw how much happier Sara looked as she played with Maggie.

    Nicole sat in silence for a couple of minutes as she tried to work out an argument to what Dan and April were saying, but she didn’t have one, so she agreed with them both and then they all went back into the house to get some things packed away ready for the trip back down the mountain.

    Once they had all the food that wouldn’t keep packed in the back of April’s SUV, Dan got in Nicole’s 4x4, after helping the others all get in April’s car, and then they set off. Dan was driving Nicole’s 4x4 down the mountain so it would be there ready for when Nicole and Sara were ready to return.

    Dan had parked Nicole’s 4x4 in the old barn at the bottom of the mountain before getting behind the wheel of April’s SUV and then they set off for April’s.

    April owned a small farm that she’d converted into an animal clinic. Nicole had helped her become a vet as part of her new life, so this made Nicole part owner in the animal clinic, all be it a very silent partner. Dan helped out around the place, and also had all his computer gear set up in the basement of the main house.

    Maggie spent most of the trip back home telling Sara all about the animals and how Sara could help her feed them all.

     “I’ve never had any pets before, so you’ll have to show me what to do.” Sara said looking excited to get to the farm.

     “You’ve never had a pet?” Maggie asked looking shocked.

     “No, we always lived in apartments where they wouldn’t let us have pets.” Sara said as she suddenly found herself thinking about her mother, and how she’d never get to see her again. “I don’t even have a photo of my mum to remember her by.” Sara added in a whisper as tears rolled down her cheeks.

     “I’ll see if I can get some of your things from your apartment once I’m feeling better.” Nicole promised as she placed her good arm around Sara and hugged her.

    Sara was quiet for a short time after that, but she was soon asking Maggie questions and then they were talking like they had been friends all their lives.

    Nicole was in some pain and April gave her some painkillers, then Nicole slept for the rest of the trip to April’s home.

    Nicole was shocked to wake up and find herself in a bed at April’s. Nicole slipped out of bed and managed to use the toilet she found attached to the room. Nicole then slipped on the dressing gown she found back in the bedroom and then she made her way down stairs and followed the smell of food cooking and found the others in the kitchen.

     “Hey Nikki, how you feeling now? Still in some pain?” April asked as she stood stirring something in a pan.

     “Hi everyone. I feel better than I have in a couple of days, but how did I get up stairs in that bed?” Nicole asked as she took a seat at the table.

     “I carried you up there, but April and Sara got you undressed and in bed.” Dan said with his hands in the air like he was surrendering.

     “Thank you.” Nicole smiled, not looking bothered if Dan had seen her naked or not.

    April soon had the food cooked and they all sat down to eat. Sara claimed the feeding rights with Nicole, and she cut up all of Nicole’s food on her plate and then let Nicole feed herself using just a fork.

    Sara and Maggie helped Dan do the dishes after they finished eating and then Sara ran off with Maggie to look at the animals with April, while Nicole sat out on the porch with Dan.

     “Thanks for all the help you’ve given me over the years Dan.” Nicole said as she looked at Sara helping Maggie feed the animals along with a couple of other girls that helped out around the place.

     “Glad I could help you out ice.” Dan grinned.

     “Ice is dead Dan; just call me Nikki from now on.” Nicole smiled. “I’ve got to look after Sara from now on, so I’m not going to be running off getting in trouble.” She explained.

     “Does this mean you’ll be getting a real job?” Dan asked with a worried look.

     “I’ve got more than enough money to last me and Sara a lifetime, but I might look at investing some money in some companies to play it safe.” Nicole shrugged. “I’ve got plenty of time to work all that out in the future though.” Nicole added with a sigh as she just relaxed and focused on getting better.

     “So the ice princess is finally going to settle down?” Dan asked sarcastically.

     “Looks that way.” Nicole sighed.

     “Do you have any idea where you might be thinking of settling down?”

     “I’ve just found out I have a kid, been shot and caused the death of the one woman I loved before I became a girl myself, so please forgive me for not working that out yet.” Nicole said sarcastically.

     “I think you’re just making up excuses now, trying to avoid my question.” Dan said with a raised eyebrow and a smirk.

    Nicole couldn’t help giggling at Dan’s comment, and it felt good to just relax and have a good laugh, even if it did make her shoulder hurt.

     “Take a walk with me?” Nicole asked as she got to her feet and looked down at Dan.

     “Sure, but not too far.” Dan warned as he got up and then did the gentlemanly thing and helped Nicole down the steps.

     “Yes mummy.” Nicole pouted just before she started grinning again.

     “I’m being serious Nikki.” Dan warned. “You need to rest and get better.” He added with worry in his voice.

    Nicole let Dan show her around the farm, and they both stood and watched Sara and Maggie feeding the rabbits now they had them all rounded up. Nicole was soon looking like she was in some pain with her shoulder, so Dan walked her back to the house and then helped her to get comfy on the couch before he got her some painkillers and then left her to get some rest.

     Nicole spent the next several weeks recovering enough to be able to start using her arm again, and not need large doses of painkillers. April was happy with the way Nicole was healing, and also happy with the way Sara was taking to the hormones and blockers.

    Sara had become a big sister to Maggie in the short time they had been together, and the two of them had just finished setting the table and helped bring the food to the table when Nicole said she needed to have a word with Sara about something.

     “What’s wrong Nikki?” Sara asked as Nicole asked her to take a seat at the table so they could talk.

     “I need to have a word with you about what we’ll be doing now I’m well enough to look after the two of us.” Nicole started.

     “Does this mean we’ll be leaving soon?” Sara asked looking worried.

     “Yes it could Sara, but I wanted to ask you if you could see yourself settling down here?” Nicole asked with a smirk when she saw the look on Sara’s face change from one of worry to one of pure happiness.

     “Are you serious?!” Sara shouted as she jumped up and threw her arms around Nicole as she hugged her. “I love it here.” Sara added sounding excited.

    Sara and Maggie were soon talking excitedly about all the fun things they would be able to keep doing together, and all the fun things they wanted to try now that Nicole had made up her mind to lay down roots here with April, Dan and Maggie.

     “I’m glad you decided to stop here with us Nikki.” April said later in the night as they sat out on the porch watching the sun set while Sara and Maggie ran around giggling and screaming while Dan chased them around in the garden.

     “I know nothing about raising a girl, or any child for that matter, and I was hoping to get your help with Sara.” Nicole explained her worries.

     “All the things you’ve done, and the thought of raising a child scares you?” April asked looking amused.

     “I spent years training to become a good assassin April.” Nicole pointed out.

     “Raising a child is on the job training, and you can offer Sara more help than you give yourself credit for.” April smiled.

     “You mean because I used to be just like her?” Nicole asked. “I didn’t exactly do my transition by the book though.”

     “True, but you didn’t have Dan, Maggie and me to help you. Once Dan has your new ID’s sorted out, we can get Sara to a doctor and on the right dose of medication.” April explained her plan.

     “No, I don’t want anyone to know about Sara being anything but a girl.”

     “I don’t think that’s a good idea Nikki. Sara needs to be monitored and looked at by specialists.” April argued.

     “I can’t take a chance on someone finding out about Sara, or my past.” Nicole frowned. “I can look after myself, but I won’t go putting Sara in danger, so we keep her transition below the radar.” Nicole added in a tone that said her word was final on the subject.

    April wasn’t sure it was the best plan, but she could see that Nicole wasn’t going to budge on the subject, so she agreed to help all she could.

    Dan got the new identities sorted out and looking foolproof, Dan then helped Nicole and Sara sort out a headstone for Samantha’s grave. The headstone just said ‘Here lies Samantha, a mother and a friend’

    Nicole took a trip on her own back to Samantha and Sara’s old apartment and after slipping the super some money, she managed to get all of their personal things, so Sara now had some photos of her mother. Nicole also started training Sara in the art of self defence and how to shoot a gun and throw a knife, just in case they ever had to go on the run again. Nicole never knew if or when her past would come back to haunt her.

Epilogue

    Nicole and Sara started going up to the cabin once a month to place flowers on Samantha’s grave and let her know that everything was going fine. Sara would sit and talk to her mother’s grave for hours with Nicole sat at her side happy to listen and just hold Sara’s hand.

    Sara started to develop as a girl with budding breasts. Nicole took her to see a doctor and he did a little surgery to make her genitals look more like a girl’s until she was old enough to have the operation to make her look like a girl for real.

    Nicole found herself getting closer to Dan as time went on, and it wasn’t long before Dan asked her out on a date, Nicole accepted and she had a wonderful time. They finally slept together and Nicole thought it was the most wonderful night of her life. Dan finally asked Nicole to marry him, and she said yes. It was a small wedding, but Nicole thought it was wonderful, and Sara was a bridesmaid.

    Sara started school as a girl and also became a big sister to Maggie, they did everything together, even after Sara made new friends at School, she still found time to spend with Maggie. Nicole and Sara went out of the country on holiday when Sara was sixteen and when they came back, Sara was finally a girl and just like her mother, as that is how she saw Nicole by that point. They still went up to the cabin all the time, but Sara just saw it as she had two mothers.

    Nicole never thought she’d have much of a future to look forward to, but she now had everything to live for and she never again felt the need to take up her old career. No one ever came looking for her, and Dan kept an eye out to make sure they didn’t.

    Sara was happy to call Dan her dad and he played the protective father very well when Sara started dating guys. Sara smiled when she brought the first boy home to meet her parents and the boy looked more worried of Dan than Nicole, but Sara wondered what the boy would say if he knew that Nicole was the one to be afraid of.

    Sara found she loved animals, so she followed in April’s footsteps and trained to become a veterinarian so she could help out around the clinic.

    Nicole invested some of her money and made sure none of them would ever want for anything. She never did fully forgive herself for not saving Samantha’s life, but she did feel glad that Sara got to live hers, just like Samantha made her promise.

 

Story by SaraUK

 

Edited and Posted by SamanthaK

    AUTHORS NOTE: I’d like to thank you for taking the time to read this story and I hope you enjoyed it? Please leave me a comment, or click the good story button.

    EDITORS NOTE: Any comments on spelling, grammar or the layout of the story please PM me “Samanthak” not Sara. Thank you

up
284 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Happy endings

I've followed your story since the beginning. I enjoyed reading it and thank you for sharing it with us all :)

Jenny

JennySugarLogo.png

Thanks

For a wonderful story and a good ending

MICKIE

Quite different

Different from your usual story but an enjoyable read just the same.

A happy ending after all the turmoil and tension.

S.

Lipstick & LEAD

This has been an enjoyable read worth waiting for as it unfolded. Thanks Another Brian

What a nice story.

Despite the somewhat sad ending, it was great fun to read this.

Thank you

Gwendolyn

Good story!

janet_L.'s picture

I was on the alert for the next update from the moment I finished the first installment.

This was a wonderful story.

All the right tension of a drama, wonderful characterizations, and marvelous plotting.

I haven't read your other work, so I can't make any comparisons, but, if they are at all like this, they would undoubtedly be quite enjoyable to read as well.

Abigail Drew.

Lipstick and Lead - A very good story

This was a very good story and even with the death of Samantha I felt like all the ends were covered by the end of the story. Samantha's death was hard to take, but more than just about anything else in the story, it along with Nicole's carelessness just showed the harsh realities of life. Thank you for writing "Lipstick and Lead."

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

Lipstick And Lead Part 11

Glad that Nicole found the peace she deserved and Sara now has a mom and dad.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Two moms.

Sara has two moms and a dad. Just because Samantha's dead doesn't mean she can't still be around in Nicole and Sara's hearts. And that's if you don't believe in life after death or ghosts or anything... With my view on the eternal aspect of things, Samantha is still very much a strong part of their lives.

Abigail Drew.

Good ending

Though I had this real crazy image in my mind of:

'and the tuber going into her arm. She looked around to make sure she was still at the cabin and not in a hospital.'

.... Nikki having this potato sticking into her arm 8)

Kim

Great story Smanthak.

I liked the action!

Thank you.

Hugs

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Great Story

Hi,

I've held off my comments until the end.

This was a great story, filled with lots of action, plenty of drama, and character development. And, it had a melancholic but relatively happy ending. The epilogue tied everything up very nicely.

Thank you for a very nice story

Red MacDonald

Awww

Awww I was liking this story I was hoping there would be more like how there is with Prodject Guardian. But Good for them I am glad that things worked out for them. Thanks for sharing another wonderful series with us here. I do look forward to reading more stories from you and a tip to Sam for her editing that gets over looked the word except is used a lot when here in America I think Sara means to use accept. Just trying to be helpful and not mean about it.

Yours Turly

Arina

I loved the story

NoraAdrienne's picture

I have followed this story right from the start, watching for each new chapter... It was well written and for the most part the spelling and grammar were excellent. Although this last chapter had 1 teensy tiny error. LOL All be it... Albeit is the word you were looking for.

I'll be watching for your next story with baited breath.

okay

so when does the next book come out?

Sigh,

I hate it when a good story has to come to an end! Stories like this one should never have an ending if you ask me. I did not wish for this story to reach the end but again all good things must come to an end doggone it lol!

I hope your next story is as interesting and captivating!

Hugs

Vivien

Lipstick and Lead

enjoyed reading it. Thanks. Sure does seem like I've seen it before somewhere, a long time ago.

The innocent

This story had a lot of innocents who were wronged. Nicholas/Nicole; Samantha; and Sarah. All were transformed by bad things, but, except for Samantha the came out better. An interesting and intriguing read. Thanks for another wonderful story.

As always,

Dru

As always,

Dru

You are a very good story teller

Sara. Thanks so much.

***

A story like this always leaves me with more questions than answers. We all know that murder is wrong. But we also all love certain murders.

Killing is different from murdering. Most of us believe that we have a 'right' to kill in self defense, but not to commit murder. Much of the language in our laws about taking a life focuses on the distinction beween killing and murdering.

And yet we ALL still applaud a few selected murderers.

Isn't that odd?
T

story

thank you for a exelent story
erik je

Great Story!!!

I loved this story. Good tension and intrigue; interesting plot. Very satisfying to read.