Beyond Galactic Marshal - Chapter 6

Printer-friendly version

Beyond Galactic Marshal
by
Hilltopper

CHAPTER 6

I turned to see Marshal Slago standing about 5 meters down the alley holding a smoking gun. I looked at him a few seconds and then smiled.

“Well, hello marshal. Can I help you?”

He got a shocked then horrified look on his face.

“Who are you?”

I took a step toward him. He turned and ran down the alley. It was then I realized that it was two .45 slugs that had hit me dead center on my back. Like last time, I had hardly felt them. I was about to leave when I saw movement at the end of the alley. Figuring it was Slago, I walked toward it. When I got to the end, a woman stepped out of the shadows. It was the same one that screamed at me in the saloon.

“Hello again.”

She stared at me shaking her head.

“No, you’re not one of us. Who are you?”

“I seem to be getting that question a lot lately.”

She made a squeaking sound, turned, and ran away. I tried to follow her but it was just too dark. Since I was feeling my drinks some, I decided to go to the hotel and lie down. Once in bed, I reflected on my day.

The underwear had now saved my life twice. On the down side, there were at least three people who suspected I was not what I appeared to be. This could cause major problems. The marshal had the power to come after me but I didn’t think he would. I had definitely scared him but he had the look of a bully; that is a coward. The mystery woman was a different story. Oh she was afraid of me but for very different reasons it seemed. Could she be one of the people that came through the gate? I had to question her further. Then there was Rosco. I had a feeling he knew more than he was telling but I did not think he was one of the ancients. With my mind in turmoil and missing Mary terribly, sleep came hard.

Upon waking and dressing, I went in search of some breakfast. Down the street a ways, a café looked like the place. I sat down but no one came over to take my order. Finally, I went up to the person at the counter.

“I would like some breakfast.”

The man looked at me and then turned around without saying anything. Then it dawned on me. Slago must be behind this. I went to the only other restaurant with the same results. I decided enough was enough and went to the marshal’s office. It was locked up tight.

“Just great!”

I went back to the café and walked into the kitchen.

“Either some one here serves me some breakfast or I’ll get it my self.”

I was angry enough to spit nails and I guess it showed. The cook spooned up eggs, bacon, and fried potatoes onto a plate and handed it to me.

“Just don’t say where you got it.”

I walked back into the dining room and sat down to eat. The counter man, owner I guess, just glared at me while I ate. When I finished, I went up to pay and he turned his back on me again. With a shrug, I walked out. It looked like I was persona non grata. I went back to the hotel. As soon as I entered the lobby, the clerk went into a back room. I got my key out of the slot and climbed the stairs to my room. The only thing I could see to do now was find that girl. The problem was I did not know where she lived. Hell, I didn’t even know her name. The only thing I did know was she worked at The Golden Nugget. I just lounged around in the room until mid afternoon. I couldn’t stand it any longer so I got up. After leaving the hotel, I went to see if Slago’s office was open.

“Shit!”

Yep, still locked up tight. I walked over to The Golden Nugget saloon and entered. All eyes turned to me and it went deathly quiet. I strolled up to the bar and glared at the bartender. Without a word, he set a bottle of Kentucky whiskey and a glass on the counter. I sat down at the same table as last night and poured a drink. Most of the customers left. About two hours later, the girl came into the saloon via the back door. She looked at the bartender.

“This place is dead tonight.”

He pointed at me. She saw me for the first time and bolted for the door. I was faster.

“We need to talk.”

She sagged and I followed her out the door. We walked down a back street in silence. She turned into an alley and walked up to a small house. She opened the door and we entered. The place was plain but neat. She sat down at a table and I did too.

“You want something to drink?”

I shook my head.

“I want answers!”

She sighed.

“When I first saw you, I knew you were a woman in disguise. Therefore, I thought you were one of my people coming to take me back. But after watching you a while, I realized that was not the case. So, who are you?”

This startled me.

“What do you mean ‘woman in disguise’?”

She stared at me with a puzzled expression. I sighed.

“OK, let’s start over. Are you one of the people who built the gate in the observation center?”

She stood up quickly.

“You did come through the gate!”

She shook her head.

“This makes no sense.”

“I did use the gate to get here but it was an accident. I was helping aliens who found a gate on Prowhiness in some ruins. We all thought it was left by an ancient race. When I tried to send an object to the alien’s planet, I ended up in the observation room.”

She nodded.

“So you are a woman!”

I sighed.

“Well, I sort of was but, once through the gate, I was like this.”

“Hmm, only one of us can use the gate. As I said, this makes no sense.”

Suddenly, we heard a commotion outside. Looking out a window, I saw Slago and several deputies surrounding the house.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mary and I packed some clothes and toiletries into a case. After her baby sitter arrived, I bade Raylan a tearful good bye. Then we headed for the gate room. Tinker greeted us.

“We have placed all the supplies we thought you might need into a crate. It is awaiting you in the gate. I see no need for space suits this time.”

Karen spoke up.

“Here are our clothes and things.”

Tinker nodded and had them placed into the gate.

“I really don’t know what to say except find Jonnie as quickly as you can and get back here safe.”

I nodded.

“Don’t worry, that is our main goal.”

We entered the gate and it powered up. Karen held my hand while she operated the controls. There was a brief flash and we were looking at a very bright room. I was feeling real good until Karen shook her head.

“This is not the same place!”

“What!”

Just then two women walked into the room. One turned to us and spoke in an unfamiliar language. It kind of sounded like English but I could not make since of any of the words.

“I’m sorry but I don’t understand you.”

The other woman smiled and nodded to the first one. She faced us.

“Welcome! My name is Isham. Please come with us.”

I looked at Karen. She frowned and started pushing on the control center.

“I’m afraid it is quite dead. Please!”

She motioned us out of the gate. With nothing else to do, we complied. We followed them into an adjacent room. Several comfortable looking chairs sat about. She motioned us into them.

“I know you are surprised to be here. Please let me explain. We were alerted to the operation of a gate. After reviewing the data, we realized some one had used an old gate to go to an abandoned observation site. This seemed quite impossible so we arranged for the transportation to be sent here if it was used again.”

I was stunned. We had to be in the future.

“So these are your gates?”

“Yes and we are very interested in finding out how you have accomplished this. You see, only one of us can operate the gates.”

I gave them the story about the aliens, the ruins, and Jonnie helping them.

“When Jonnie disappeared, we went in search of her.”

The two talked to each other a minute.

“Karen, we would like to run some tests on you. This is very surprising. We need to get to the bottom of this.”

I stood up.

“What about Jonnie?”

“We will discuss that and answer all your questions after the tests.”

They stood and left the room. Karen turned to me.

“We are in big trouble.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My name is George Bret. I am a Galactic Marshal in district three. I have been summoned to headquarters on an urgent matter. As I approached my boss’s office, he called out to me.

“Come on in, George.”

“Hey Sam, what’s up?”

“That’s what I want to know. You’re aware that former marshal Harper is working on a project with the aliens.”

I nodded. This was an understatement. In fact, there really was no more John Harper. He had been turned into a female in order to help save the alien’s planet. Now, due to extreme prejudice on many levels, he or she is forced to work with the aliens. Since he was my best friend, I am a little bitter. Sam went on.

“A few days ago, I received a call from Mary Brown. She said that they were at some ruins on Prowhiness and that John was helping the aliens test a gate of some kind when he disappeared. She seemed to think that the aliens had tricked John somehow.”

“I can believe that. They are a sly bunch.”

“Yeah, anyway, she said she would get back to me but has not. The kicker came this morning. We got a call from a woman who stated that she worked for Karen Singleton and was baby sitting with Raylan, John’s son, while Mary and Karen went to rescue John using that gate with the aliens help. She said she has not heard from them and now, suddenly, all of the aliens have left the planet without a word. She is stuck at the ruins by herself with Raylan.”

“Shit, this gets worse all the time.”

Sam nodded.

“The Planetopolis leaders look at this as a golden opportunity to find out what the aliens are up to. You and Linda are both very familiar with the alien situation. I’d like you two to take the ship John used and go to Prowhiness.”

“Man, that place is well outside the Planetopolis.”

“I know. You will have no jurisdiction but we have got to know what is going on. Plus, on a personal level, I am very worried about John. Get there as fast as you can and report back. The Planetopolis will have a military detachment standing by to go in and occupy the site when you give the all clear. This is a priority one mission.”

I sat back stunned. Finally, I stood up.

“John is my best friend and saved my life. Of course I will go!”

up
119 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

It just gets

deeper and deeper. Why did the darned Aliens leave I wonder? Did they think something like, "oh crap, now every ones really going to be mad" and leave? LOL, doubtful as they seem to think too logically, well, most of the time anyway.

What gets me is that when someone would ask them for some type of explanation what ever explanation they would get from the aliens was usually way too short and not nearly enough.

Jonni now Johnny is apparently in a pickle having been surrounded at the woman's home. Being pretty much bullet proof other than his head and probably his hands and feet there should not be to much to worry about, we hope!?

So I wonder what is going to happen with his wife and sister now that they are obviously trapped on another planet or possibly hundred of years into the future? Will those people help them? Imprison them for scientific tests? Will the aliens rescue them? Doubtful I think on the rescue part.

Ok, sorry, I got quite long winded there lol!

Great story, I just wish the chapters were longer is all.

Hugs

Vivien

Alice and Jonnie

terrynaut's picture

This is turning into a sci-fi version of Alice in Wonderland. I love it.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

"Only one of us..."

"...can use the gate." Interesting: I think the assumption by Tinker's group was that most if not all of the builders could operate it, and it was sheer good fortune that they had discovered genetic precursors in Jonnie and Karen who could do it too.

But now we seem to find that the ability is even rarer at the other end of the timestring, so to speak.

Is that the literal truth: no one else has the genetics that allow gate operation, not even any (possible) siblings or (potential) children of the "one of us"? Or is there something less "clean" here -- the one with the ability has the power and authority to eliminate or neutralize anyone else with the potential to do it? If the latter, is she immortal, or perhaps uncaring about what will happen after her death? Does she have some sort of ability to restore herself from a clone or past copy?

All that could be looking at things from the wrong angle: it may be that Isham's group has the able "one of us" enslaved, and can replace her using her stored DNA when needed.

Will Isham and company welcome having one (or two) more gate users, or feel threatened that their monopoly could be broken? (And if the "one of us" and Jonnie/Karen represent two points on a line of genetically capable individuals, does that mean anyone in between with two X chromosomes could be picked up and drafted into service as well?)

An alternative reading: Isham could mean "only one of us" -- the folks that control the gates -- as opposed to any number of them, a competing group or the general human population. But if that were the case the woman in the saloon wouldn't be so confused; she'd simply assume that the people who didn't come back for her were no longer in power, and that Jonnie represented their successors.)

Plenty of ways this can go, just from that one thread alone. And we have two more to consider. Looking forward to more.

Eric

Beyond Galactic Marshal by Hilltopper CHAPTER 6

I am guessing that Karen and Mary just met humans from the future, or past who have the DNA needed to power up the gateway, much like the Atlantis technology can only be used by humans with that DNA coding.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine