You Were Mine

Printer-friendly version

Inspired by the song ‘You Were Mine’ by Emily Irwin and Martie Siedel and performed by ‘The Dixie Chicks.’

He always knew something was wrong; he got the “don’t be stupid” treatment when he was a child so resolved to put it out of his mind and try to be ‘normal’. His father worked as a farm labourer and his mother kept house for the family. He had an older brother who was destined for a career in the army. His father had been in the army so it was expected that one of the sons should follow. It was either that or back-breaking work on the land. The younger son was disinclined and physically unsuited for a military career or farm work and wanted only one thing out of life though time, and a desire to fit in with other’s expectations, quickly pushed his ambitions to the back of his mind.

They met at a school dance. They were both sixteen and he only went for a quiet life - to placate the parents, who’d been on at him for some time to make some friends. He eventually plucked up the courage to talk to her (read as took pity on her); she was seated alone, seemingly shunned by her schoolmates who all had partners. She was impressed by the softly spoken lad who seemed to want to spend most of the evening just listening to her.

Things developed; he felt so comfortable in her company that, after they’d been going out together for several years,he thought that his gender blip was just that.

He proposed and she accepted.

He sought advice about his feelings but was told that marriage and children would cure him forever, and so they proceeded to plan a wedding.

Eventually a little girl came along, followed two years later by a son but, even then, his feelings just intensified. He was jealous of his wife; he wanted to carry and give birth to the children. He said nothing, though, and quietly became more miserable.

Eventually he could take no more. He confessed everything to his wife, left home and moved into a small apartment. By this time some patents, on agricultural machinery that he’d designed, were producing a reasonable income, certainly enough to support the two of them, two homes and two children.

In quiet moments she’d take stock of what they’d had and what they’d lost. She had some horrible dreams, often reliving happier times or screaming in despair. She replayed “What if” so often that it occupied many of her daytime and nighttime thoughts.

She realised that what had drawn her to him in the first instance had been his quiet, gentle nature. Could she — would she — want him back, knowing that he wasn’t the man she married, yet it was the same person? And how would the children deal with the situation if they did try again? Could they throw away ten years of their lives, just like that?

There was only one answer. She rang him and suggested a trial reconciliation. She struggled to get used to her new name and knew it would take some time to stop saying ‘him’ and his old name but she vowed to try.

The former husband moved back into the marital home but kept a respectful distance from the woman and children.

In the end, it was the daughter who broke the ice. She simply hugged her former father and asked, “Daddy, could I please have my ears pierced?”

The ice continued to melt when the boy asked, ”Can you still throw a ball?”

Everyone smiled.

"YOU WERE MINE"
I Can't Find A Reason To Let Go
Even Though You've Found A New Love
And She's What Your Dreams Are Made Of
I Can Find A Reason To Hang On
What Went Wrong Can Be Forgiven
Without You, It Ain't Worth Livin' Alone

[Chorus]

Sometimes I Wake Up Crying At Night
And Sometimes I Scream Out Your Name
What Right Does She Have To Take Your heart Away
When For So Long, You Were Mine

[Verse 2]

I Took Out All The Pictures Of Our Wedding Day
It Was A Time Of Love And Laughter
Happy Ever After
But Even Those Old Pictures Have Begun To Fade
Please Tell Me She's Not Real
And That You're Really Coming Home To Stay

[Chorus]

Sometimes I Wake Up Crying At Night
And Sometimes I Scream Out Your Name
What Right Does She Have To Take Your Heart Away
When For So Long, You Were Mine

[Bridge]

I Can Give You Two Good Reasons
To Show You Love's Not Blind
He's Two And She's Four, And You Know They Adore You
So How Can I Tell Them You've Changed Your Mind

[Chorus]

up
96 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Emotional

terrynaut's picture

I really like this. It was very short but packed a lot of emotion.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

Well done...

I'm so glad I didn't have to move out, to get there... Perhaps it's the difference between ten years and almost twenty-seven years (when I came out) that made the difference.

Kids do seem to be able to still love - and realize we're the same person. Adults seem to have more issues.

Thank you for this story.

Annette

Like the song says...

Andrea Lena's picture

I hope they all find their reason to hang on! Oh...just so you know, the last line got me.

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

me too, 'Drea

simply beutiful.

DogSig.png

You Were Mine

Needs a sequel.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Thank you

Thank you to all who commented. The story was complete in itself and there will be no sequel (unless, of course, someone else is inclined to write it).

S.

Beautiful.

Whenever I read something like this I feel my comments are inadequate. I don't like to repeat myself but what can I say about such a heartwarming story.


I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair