Calendar Girls - Part 7

Printer-friendly version

Girls just wanna have fun!

Calendar Girls
Part 7

APRIL - April Fooled! April Showered!

by Tammy Fairbanks
Copyright  © 2003 Tammy Fairbanks
All Rights Reserved.

 


 
 
Part Seven
 
APRIL
April Fooled! April Showered!

 
"Ms. Grant?" a woman in a white jacket asked as she entered the room.

"Yes." replied April. She was seated on the exam table in a loose hospital gown.

"I'm Dr. Collins."

"How do you do, Dr. Collins? Thank you for agreeing to take me on as a patient. Lori Harper recommended you to me."

"Lori's a good patient. I'm glad to help. Now what brings you here on this beautiful spring day?"

"Well, I've been having some strange symptoms."

"Tell me about them and we'll see what we can do."

"Well, I've noticed a slight bloating in my abdomen, followed by cramps. I'm afraid of it being cancer."

Dr. Collins took a look at her and smiled. She examined April's limbs. "You're retaining water, too." She felt April's abdomen. "Have you noticed any nausea or vomiting?"

"Well, yes."

"Are you urinating more frequently."

"Yes."

"Sore or tingling breasts or nipples?"

"Yes, that, too."

"Have you been sexually active?"

April glanced over at the calendar on the wall. The date was the first. "Not lately. The last time was three months ago, exactly to the day."

"And when was your last period?"

April realized that she had only had a period twice since her change and the last one was several months ago. "Gosh, about the week before Christmas, I think. Do you think it's cancer?"

"No, I think you can relax about that. I want to run a test, of course, but I think you are pregnant."

"Pregnant!" April exclaimed. It had never occurred to her that she might be pregnant, but now that she thought about it and what little she knew about it, it all fit.
 

*   *   *

 
The G.I.R.L. Spring Fling was fully underway when May arrived. The group was a haven of support with life at home in such turmoil. Here she could talk to others; though not in her exact same situation, they at least had several things in common.

It didn't take long for June, still dressed in men's clothes, to approach her. A part of her began to feel flattered at his persistence.

It had been several weeks since Emma had grown reticent. Their relationship suffered as Emma became more and more withdrawn from May. May began to miss their intimate conversations, the warmth that they shared. She craved that close companionship that Emma withheld now. In June she began to see a glimmer of a possibility of sharing her life with someone close.

These feelings of hers were stronger for her now that she was a woman. As a sensitive man who crossdressed she had been in touch with them more than most men, but not with the intensity that she now felt them. So complete was her change that she ascribed this passion to her new feminine attitudes, body chemistry, and perspective.

She had spent more time with April lately, and that helped them both, especially with April trying to adjust to the sudden news of her pregnancy. When it was time to go home, however, all May felt was emptiness. Her small room seemed like an isolation cell in a prison rather than the warm cozy room in the happy home that she and Emma had raised their son in.
 

*   *   *

 
Derek and his friends walked into the dim, noisy room of The Night Scene dance bar. Josh, Brad, and Mike thought that bringing Derek here would help to get his mind off Chrissy. Derek was still "moping" about, as Josh put it, weeks after their breakup. Brad suspected there was more to it than that; Derek had confided in him that his parents were on the outs again.

"Didn't I tell you those fake IDs would work?" Josh bragged excitedly when no one else was within earshot. "The guy I got them from does a great job."

"Yeah," grumbled Mike, "but we spent so much on them, we don't have much left for drinks!"

"Well Mike," retorted Josh, "if you feel that way about it, there's a gay bar about two blocks down where I bet you would have guys lining up to buy you drinks!"

"Knock it off, guys!" Brad demanded. "We're here to have a little fun."

"And that's what we'll have..." complained Mike, "damn little fun."

Brad pierced Mike with a look. Mike gave it up and followed the guys to a table.
 

*   *   *

 
When Sunny came into the room she was a bit surprised to find June and May apart from the other partygoers and engaged in an animated conversation. A sudden rush of jealousy came over her, and she became furious with June for a moment. She had spent the entire afternoon at the salon getting prettied up for him. What was he doing with May over there in that corner? Wasn't she woman enough, feminine enough to hold his interest? Then she calmed herself and reasoned that they were just talking about gender issues, which is why June came to this group in the first place. Even so, there was still a part of her that was concerned that there was more to it than that.

As for June, he was having a great time. He was sure that tonight would be the night he would finally get to take May to bed. The conversation was going well, and he could almost smell May's vulnerability along with her heady perfume.

May, on the other hand, was feeling guilty talking to June, because she was starting to think about more than just talk. She began to feel like she was betraying Emma, even though Emma had been the one that turned her back on their relationship. Still, after years of marriage, May's fidelity to the woman she loved and married was a routine way of life. Thoughts of Emma gnawed at her conscience until she realized that it was time to end the conversation.

Sunny watched with relief as May got up, excused herself, and moved away from June. June's face showed nothing, letting Sunny believe that her worries were unfounded. The truth of the matter was that June was so stunned that May had left him that it didn't even register on his face. He couldn't quite bring himself yet to believe that his looks and charm had failed to bring sweet May to his bed.

Sunny approached him. June was attracted to her new look. June had missed one opportunity with May, but he saw Sunny as the consolation prize. He thought to himself, "Well, if you can't win the trip to Hawaii, settle for the case of macadamia nuts."

Soon they were out on the floor dancing amid the floral decorations. May looked over and watched them with emptiness in her heart and a feeling that she was missing an opportunity.
 

*   *   *

 
Derek entered the house slightly tipsy. They hadn't had much to drink because they didn't have that much money. Thoughts of Chrissy flooded back now that he was home alone. He went to the bathroom and gargled with mouthwash to hide the smell of alcohol on his breath. Then he made his way to May's room and knocked on the door.

"Come in!" he heard May respond.

"Hi," he said as he entered the room. "How was your party?"

"It was nice, but I wasn't quite in the mood for it," May replied. "How was your movie?"

"Okay, I guess," he lied. "I really wasn't in the mood for it either. The other guys had a good time though." He paused. "Well, g'night."

"Good night, sweetheart."

As Derek wandered toward his room he couldn't shake the strange feeling he had. Then he put his finger on it. May, the person he used to call Dad, had never called him "sweetheart" before. Even stranger yet, he kind of liked it.
 

*   *   *

 
April arrived at Renee's home and knocked on the door. Renee had called needing help with a project she was working on for the upcoming G.I.R.L. summer barbecue. Renee answered and invited her inside. They made their way into the den where a large group of G.I.R.L. members were assembled.

"SURPRISE!" they cried.

April was stunned. She had never expected a party. "What is this? What's going on?"

"May told us how down in the dumps you've been." replied Joan. "We decided to throw you a baby shower to cheer you up."

"For me?" April was still in shock.

"Of course for you dear," Renee responded. "Nobody else here is pregnant, at least I hope not." She patted her own tummy with a grin.

"Besides," said May, "you know how we always need to have an event around here to celebrate. This gave us a chance to get together and to go shopping."

With that, the party got underway. April soon found herself showered with nice gifts. Each person brought two; one for the baby and one for April. April wouldn't have to worry about maternity clothes now.
 

*   *   *

 
"Hi, Chrissy, this is Derek."

"Oh, hi Derek. How are you?"

"Been doin' okay, I guess. How 'bout you?"

"Fine. I've been thinking through some stuff."

"That's good." replied Derek. "Say, I miss working on that project with you. That sure was a blast, huh?"

"Yeah, it was really cool."

"Say, I know you wanted to break it off for a while, but I heard you didn't have a date for the prom and I don't have a date, so you want maybe to go together...as friends?"

"Well, that's kind of the same thing I've been thinking about." Chrissy paused.

"I guess we could give it one more try."
 
 


 
End Part 7

up
97 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Calendar Girls - Part 7

Where is Summer? She/he needs to know about their baby. And May will have insight that Derek needs.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine