Sarah Carerra - 3.23 - The Death of Insanity

Printer-friendly version
After marking down attendance for the day Mr. Benson turned my life upside down. He did the one thing that he agreed he wouldn't do in this class.

Sarah Carerra 3: Concerto in A-
Chapter 3.23 - The Death of Insanity
by Megan Campbell
Copyright  ©2012 Megan Campbell
Released: August 27, 2012

Editor Note: The images used for this story were purchased and used under royalty-free license* from iStockphoto.com . ~Sephrena
Author Note: Please email me at AngelJediGirl (at) gmail (dot) com before posting this story to any other site. Posting to a pay site is prohibited.

Comments and suggestions are also welcome at the above email address.

*  *  *

Sarah Carerra Book 3: Concerto in A-

Chapter 3.23 - The Death of Insanity

Walking around the school's halls on Tuesday was a much better experience. Most of the students left me alone because they knew that the backstage passes had been handed out. The few who kept pestering me for a pass were annoying, but easily ignored. Eventually they realized that I wasn't handing out any more passes, and finally they began to leave me alone.

In fact, school was actually fairly calm despite the fact that I would be performing a concert here in two days’ time. There were posters of Sarah all over the walls, and there was a buzz among the students, but for the most part it was a normal day.

At least, until my last class of the afternoon. Chorus had been the one class that I hated to attend. Every single day I worried about someone finding out my secret. Every day I worried that I would have to do something I didn't want to do.

Mr. Benson was excited again as I entered the room, which put me on edge immediately. When he was buzzing like this it usually meant bad things for me. I wished that I could just drop the class from my schedule. It would make my life much easier if I did.

After marking down attendance for the day Mr. Benson turned my life upside down. He did the one thing that he agreed he wouldn't do in this class.

"I'm adding another song to our Halloween performance," Mr. Benson announced. Dread filled me immediately. "If we are going to be performing with Sarah for Christmas it would be beneficial for us to learn some of her songs."

I was stunned! I shot daggers at Mr. Benson with my eyes as I felt my breathing deepen, my face heated up, and I did my best to hold back my anger. Sarah's songs were off limits for this class as long as I was a chorus member! We had agreed on that fact. But now he was changing that agreement, and I was NOT okay with what he was doing! He purposely avoided my gaze as he described the addition to our performance. He wanted the chorus to sing 'You Can't Hurt Me' for the school, and while I agreed it could be adapted easily, I wanted nothing to do with the performance!

"Can I talk to you in private for a moment?" I asked Mr. Benson when he paused his explanation.

"Not right now, Megan," he said, stirring the embers of my ire. "We have a lot to do today if we are going to be ready for the performance next week."

He then started to continue his explanation of what he was hoping for from the song. I stood up, which caused him to stop talking.

"Now!" I said as forcefully as I could and pointed at the small office connected to the chorus room. In effect, I had given Mr. Benson an order. He sighed, but started walking toward the door. I followed behind him and once I was inside the office I closed the door behind me and then lowered the blinds on the window that looked out on the chorus room. I knew from experience that the students in the class would not be able to hear us while we were in here.

"Megan--" Mr. Benson started, but I didn't let him continue.

"We had a deal!" I nearly yelled at him. "Nothing that would expose my secret! Do you remember that?"

"This won't expose your secret!" He shot back. "We're singing the song as a chorus. This isn't a solo piece for you. The class won't make the connection!"

"No!" I exclaimed. "We are NOT singing that song while I am in this class! Did you even get permission to use it for the performance?"

"Of course I did," he told me, and I suspected that he was telling me the truth. Somebody in my office had likely given the okay because they knew that Sarah was performing with his chorus group later this year. It wouldn't have been a problem if I was willing to sing the song with the class.

But I wasn't.

"Look," he continued. "I understand your concern. I do. But if we are going to be singing with Sarah then we need to learn some of her songs to help prepare us."

"Why?" I shot back. "We aren't going to be singing any of them at the Christmas concert. Why would we need to sing them?"

"Because..." he said before he stopped. He thought for a moment. "Because it will help us to perform with you better. It will bring the class closer to you so that they will be able to complement your voice better."

That was bogus, and I didn’t buy it. I could see how he would want to use Sarah to help elevate the class, but I didn't believe it was necessary.

"I'm not singing any of my songs in this class, Mr. Benson," I declared. "Especially two days before my concert! If you insist on including them or any other song that could expose Sarah's true identity, then I am leaving this class."

I was worried immediately about how he would take that threat, but I didn't let it show. Mr. Benson hadn't signed a non-disclosure agreement, and angering him could be very bad for my career. If he leaked my real identity to the press it could ruin Sarah Carerra. I did not know how my fans would react to the deception, even if it was to allow me a better quality of life. But it was a risk I was going to have to take right now, because he was trying to get me to do things that were totally off limits. I had to assert my dominance in this relationship or he was going to believe that he had the right to control aspects of our performance together. And that was not the case.

Mr. Benson sighed. Then he took away the one advantage I thought he had over me.

"Megan, your lawyer required me to sign the non-disclosure agreement when I asked for permission to use the song," he told me, taking away the one position of advantage he had over me. "I would never intentionally disclose your secret to anyone. Singing a few of Sarah's songs as part of a group is not going to expose you."

"Mr. Benson," I said coldly. My worry had evaporated, and I knew I had the upper ground now. "This is not a negotiation. I am telling you what your chorus is going to do if you want me to stay in this class. Do you understand?"

"No, Megan, I don't," he replied. "This is MY class. You are MY student. You cannot tell me what I can and cannot do."

"Yes, Mr. Benson, I can," I shot back. "Sarah does not need to perform with your chorus. There are plenty of other schools around here that would love the chance to perform with her. I'm sure I could find someone else to join me on stage for the Christmas concert if I need to."

"You can't do that!" he yelled. "We had an agreement! This chorus gets to perform with Sarah! What you are doing is coercion and I won't be a part of it!"

"Fine!" I yelled back. "Those are my terms! Take it or leave it!"

Mr. Benson stood there, staring at me. I could see the anger in his eyes. I could hear the soft grinding of his teeth. He was not happy with me, and I was not happy with him. This whole chorus thing had been a bad idea from the start. I never wanted to be in his class. I didn't want to do this anymore! It was too stressful! It was too likely to expose my secret!

"Megan," Mr. Benson finally said in a softer voice. "The class needs this. They want to sing Sarah's songs. They want to feel like they are a part of her world. I'm doing this for them. I'm not trying to expose Sarah's identity. I promise."

It was my turn to be silent as I considered his words. He was right. I knew that. He wasn't trying to ruin my life. But that didn't mean that his actions wouldn't lead to the secret being revealed.

"I know," I replied a moment later. "It would be best for the class. But I told you the truth. I cannot sing one of my own songs in this classroom. I just can't. I think that it is time that I dropped out of the class. It would be the best solution. You get the chance to bring Sarah into the class and I get to be free of all the stress this stupid class gives me. Okay?"

"No," he said immediately. "I want you in this class, Megan. You can do a lot to help those students. I need you."

"No," I replied. "You don't need me, Mr. Benson. You are a good teacher. You have a good group of students out there. You will do just fine without me."

"Please, Megan," he pleaded.

"No," I reiterated. "I want Sarah to sing with this chorus. I want your class to perform with me. But I think this is the only way that is going to happen. I can't stay any longer."

We stood in silence for a moment before he finally nodded.

Without another word I turned and opened the door back into the classroom and walked over to where my bag was, between my friends.

"I'm sorry," I told them before I picked up my bag and left the classroom.

* * *

"And so you just quit?!" Ethan nearly yelled at me.

"I had to, Ethan," I replied, but that didn't make him feel any better. I knew that the only reason he was in Chorus was because of me, and now I had abandoned him. Paul and Jane were also cornering me as I waited for Emily and Austin to arrive at my car so we could go home. They too were not happy with me. I pointed at Jane. "I thought you'd be happy!"

"That's beside the point!" she retorted. "Being made the top girl in the class isn't the same without you!"

"I'm sorry," I said, admonished. "But it was something I had to do," I repeated. "I can't be in that class anymore. It's too dangerous."

"Why?" Jane shot back immediately. "What could have possibly changed to make you feel that way? Are you too good to sing Sarah's songs?"

I sighed, holding back the words that I knew I wanted to, but couldn't, say. Ethan and Paul knew my secret, but Jane didn't. And this was not a good time to tell her about Sarah. She was too upset to handle the news properly.

"Are you sure this was the only way?" Ethan asked. "I mean, there had to be something that you and Mr. Benson could have worked out."

"I'm sure," I told him truthfully. "This is the best way to prepare the class for the concert with Sarah. I would just hinder that progress if I stayed in the class."

"How?" Jane asked, frustration evident in her voice. "Why?"

She wanted answers, and I couldn't give them to her.

"It just is, Jane," I said. "Trust me."

"Trust you?!" she screamed back. "You're the one who told me to sing! You told me to go for it! How can you give up like this?!"

"I'm not giving up!" I yelled back. "This is completely different!"

"How?!" she asked again. "How is it different?!"

"It just is!" I screamed.

"Okay," Ethan said while stepping between us. "Jane, she's telling the truth. This is different. And Megan, quit yelling. I understand why you left. I'm not happy about it, but that doesn't give you the right to yell at us, okay?"

I stood there, smoldering. I could feel the tears sliding down my cheeks and I just wanted to go home. This was the worst thing that could have happened today! I had been so excited about getting to perform another concert, and then Mr. Benson had to go and ruin everything! He had promised me that he wouldn't, but he had done it anyway.

I didn't say anything else. I just opened the door to my car, got in, and then locked the doors. They could all wait outside until it was time to go home. I didn't want to talk to them anymore.

* * *

I still felt like crap when I pulled my car into my parking space outside my new office. I wanted to go home, lock myself in my room, and forget about the world. But I was supposed to meet the band to finish Austin's song this afternoon, and I knew that I couldn't cancel on them.

Lucy smiled at me as I stepped into the lobby. I smiled back, even if I didn't feel it. There were a couple of girls standing at her desk, waiting for someone. They screamed when they saw me, but I just waved and entered my offices. I wasn't in the mood to deal with fans.

I greeted all the people who were working as I walked through the large open office area inside the door and as I walked down the hall. The door to the sound studio was closed, but I could hear the band warming up on the other side. I left them alone and continued down to another office first.

The door was open, and I found my attorney, Josh Carlson, inside his office, working. He looked up at me immediately.

"Hi, Sarah," he said with a smile. "Can I help you with something?"

I stepped inside, placed my guitar down on the floor, and then closed his door behind me.

"Thank you for getting Mr. Benson to sign a non-disclosure agreement," I told him.

He nodded, but he grimaced at the same time.

"Has he done something?" Josh asked. As Sarah's lawyer, Josh was one of the few individuals in this building who knew the truth about me. I had never met him without the wig on, but he knew that I was really Don's daughter. He knew I was Megan. He also knew what my relationship with Mr. Benson was.

"He broke a verbal agreement we had," I told him while taking a seat across from him. "But nothing we need to worry about. I was worried about arguing with him until he told me he had signed an agreement."

"What happened?" Josh asked, worried that there might be legal concerns despite my assurances otherwise.

"He wants to sing Sarah Carerra songs in the Chorus. I did not," I replied. "I dropped Chorus today, and he wasn't very happy about it."

"Do we need to worry?" Josh asked.

"I don't think so," I told him. "He wasn't happy, but I think we both agreed that this was the best course of action for the future. I just wanted to tell you and thank you. I was really scared about what would happen if I angered him. I'm glad you were able to get him to sign."

"It's what I'm here for," he said, smiling.

I laughed, feeling better for the first time since Chorus.

* * *

My day improved after the meeting with Josh. I spent most of the evening with my band working on finishing 'Your Time Will Come'. Spending time with friends who weren't mad at me was exactly what I needed. We were working on a song that talked all about persevering and looking forward to the good that was just around the corner. I had written the song for Austin, but as I sang through the song while we added the different instruments and vocals to what I had written earlier, it touched me in the same way I had hoped to touch him.

I knew that trying to live a double life wasn't going to be easy. This wasn't the first time that it had come between my friends and me. This probably wouldn't be the last.

I still believed that leaving Chorus was the right thing to do. Jane deserved to be featured in that class. She was an amazing singer, and I did not need the extra attention. Mr. Benson would be able to use my songs to help teach them and prepare them for our concert together.

Yes, they would be singing without me, and I knew that each of them were mad that I had left.

But leaving was the best thing that I could do for them.

* * *

Chapter 24 - Show and Tell
Coming Soon...

* * *

Want more Sarah Carerra?
Book 1: I Am A Rock Star is now available for the Kindle! Click here for more information. Become a fan of Sarah Carerra by joining her on Facebook or Twitter by clicking the buttons below.
Follow SarahCarerra on Twitter   The Official Sarah Carerra Facebook Page

If you've read book 1 I'd love it if you shared your opinions with others. Review the Kindle version at http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006IZG49M. :)

up
272 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Something like this was inevitable.

Mr. Benson never really could be held to his verbal agreement with Megan, and, it's true, if they are to perform with Sarah, the best way for them to learn how to would be to learn about her music. But Megan is also correct that she can NOT perform a Sarah song as Megan, if with a different arrangement... The risk of a goof-up and exposure is just toooooo high.

I'm looking forward to more of this wonderful story, as always. ^^

Abigail Drew.

Sarah Carerra

Another great chapter, looking forward to next one!

Richard

Sarah Carerra - 3.23 - The Death of Insanity

My main concern is that the chorus being close to Megan might see the Sarah/Megan connection.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

"I dropped Chorus today..."

Didn't think it would be that easy for Megan to do it. Sure simplifies things for her, though. Only problem is that as Jane noted, there doesn't seem to be any logic behind it that Megan or the teacher can tell anyone.

Not sure what it says that in these days of instant communication, the lawyer wouldn't have at least texted Megan about Benson rather than letting her get blindsided like that.

Anyway, it's good to see Megan hold her own in an exchange like the one with Benson. But I think we're rapidly reaching the point where even Megan can see that maintaining the secret is becoming more trouble than it's worth. Megan tells us, "and this was not a good time to tell [Jane] about Sarah. She was too upset to handle the news properly." -- as if the only thing wrong with the idea of letting the information out to a rival was her present state of mind.

Eric

Texting

In most middle and high schools in the United States, students are not allowed to use their mobile devices while in or between classes. Lunchtime and before/after school is the rule. A teacher sees it, it's confiscated until the end of the day and Megan is a rule-follower not a rule-breaker. Some of her friends may have their phones in pockets on vibrate and sneak looks when they get a text, but Megan wouldn't. During classes, her phone is likely in her locker or her purse, and turned off. Josh would also know that about her, and known that he couldn't get word to her before Benson blindsided her.

Chorus and Sarah

I agree that dropping out of chorus was the best thing to do. I also think that with all the turmoil Sarah is going thru about her dual identity that it won't be long before she is either outed by someone, or tells the truth about herself.
Perhaps at the upcoming school concert?
It is going to happen sooner or later though. I just hope when it does happen it will be right thing at the right time.

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

Taking the long view.

While it did at first seem to be a good idea for Sarah to live a double life, I'm wondering if she should just abandon the idea now? It does seem problematic.

It's like in the church when they want you to keep a secret. Sooner or later, it all just falls apart.

Khadijah

Out of Chorus

I'd been wondering how long it'd take before Mr. Benson overstepped. He's skirted aroung the edge too often, and he kept pushing the envelope. I felt that, sooner or later, he was going to step over the line. And, he did.

Too bad Jane's caught in the middle. And, it probably wouldn't be a good time to tell her. Perhaps after the concert?

Red MacDonald

Death of Insanity

Wow, action packed chapter.

I'm glad she stood up to Benson finally. I knew joining Chorus was a mistake from the first time her dad and the principal sprang it on her, and again when we found out Benson knew who she was. Even if she could have picked up a few pointers on how to be a better singer in that class...

Mind you, she should already have a personal singing instructor (who doesn't know Megan at all) who can work with her and help her stretch her vocal talents, just like how she's worked with dance instructors to teach her how to move during concerts. While she clearly didn't need additional voice training to get the contract and become a successful singer, it could allow her to have better range and more options in future songs, whether her own or cover songs.

But it's about time she started to stand up to some of the adults pushing her around and trying to mold her to their will, especially when they have their own agenda like Benson does, and especially when Megan herself knows it's a bad idea. And being constantly stressed out over that class exposing her secret can't be good for the girl, or her performing abilities.

Her dad has given her more control of her own career, and is comfortable she's matured enough to handle it. Will she make mistakes? Probably. Her dad is a professional and look at the goofups he made regarding her career. She's bound to make a few as she feels her way. But on the other hand, she'll gain in skill and confidence and learn to rely on those, and trust her instincts, by doing it herself. And he seems to have left her with capable people like Josh Carlson and the rest of her staff. (Although I agree he should have at least sent her a text or a memo or something saying that he got Benson to sign a non-disclosure agreement. Even if he didn't know how worried she was about Benson outing her.)

Anyway, keep up the good work. I love this story. :)

Lisa

Leaving

Renee_Heart2's picture

I think Megan did the right thing to save her self & Sarha too. Mr. Benson did not ask the person who wrote those songs as they are hers only SHE has the right to say ok to sing her songs & under copy right laws the school would have to pay Sarha to use her song. But Megan did give her ok in the end but the fact remains that singing one of her songs is EXTREAMLY dangerous for her & her secreat.

Love Samantha Renee Heart

Sarah has dodged one pitfall but another looms even bigger

The concert.

Even having left the chorus there is still the problem of the concert and any practice for it at school.

There is only ONE Megan/Sarah.

I find it hard to believe, even given the excitement Sarah causes among her fans, that someone won't notice Megan is not in school or at the concert when Sarah is there. What possible rock solid *excuse* could Megan have for not being at school the next few days or at the concert? In hospital with meningitis? Visiting a dying aunt? Abducted by space aliens?

-- grin --

Simply slipping away for a few minutes every so often to take the wig on and off is a recipie for disaster. See the Hannah Montana Movie for proof of that.

Plus I have to believe that talented male jerk in the chorus will go ape shi* with glee at her leaving and spread with vigor his personal *spin * on things. With Megan out of chorus might he feel it is safe now for him to beat up the *little fruit*?

He clearly hates Megan and disbelieves that she is not and never truly was Brett. He has shoved her into lockers before. What's to say he won't wait until she is alone somewhere and assault her or trip her on a stairs? And any injury Megan suffers, well ...

Thank Ghod Jaden seems to have finally realized assaulting Megan is wrong. I wonder if the coach finally hammered it into his thick skull that Megan really is and always was a female, simply no one knew until recently. She needs protectors sad to say.

Megan needs to bring Jane in on the truth ASAP. Either on the day of the concert somehow in private or before. And she needs to stay close to her friends at all times for safety.

BTW for the concert and any other appearances Sarah makes in school will her bodyguards be with her? And she needs a female one as the two guys can't enter a ladies room and we do have Amber and her phobic reaction to Megan.

As to the Hannah Montana double life lasting much past the concert I have serious doubts. If Paul her former lab partner could see under the blond wig, who else might twig as to Sarah's real identity at the after concert get together?

She is slowly getting painted into a corner here.

Love to see how you work this out, Megan, um the authoress Megan that is.

Maybe take a page out of the Hannah Montana Movie and the ending show of the series, she should expose who she is publically at a time of her choosing.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

As Sarah's Personal Assistant...

...her "gofer", as it were, Megan's absences during rehearsals shouldn't require major excuses such as the ones you gave. She just needed to pick up something for Sarah that wasn't on the premises. (I was going to suggest her allegedly taking Sarah's car in for servicing, but I'm not sure who knows that Megan and Sarah have the same car.)

As for the concert (and especially the Star Party, for which Megan handled the invitations), that'll take more work to explain, but if an elaborate plot is needed (something dire happening to a close friend or relative, perhaps), it won't be that difficult to come up with.

(And of course, if Sarah does abandon the masquerade during or at the end of the concert, it eliminates that particular problem.)

As far as the quick-change business is concerned, they might get around it by establishing a "rehearsal uniform" of sorts, say, slacks and a sweatshirt with Sarah's logo, and having the whole entourage including Sarah wear it. That way Sarah and Megan could be seen in the same outfit without tipping anyone off.

That still leaves the makeup disparity; it pretty much has to, since without it and the clothes, the only difference between Sarah and Megan would be the wig. Her stylist might be able to work something out on that. The old sunglasses dodge wouldn't work unless Megan (or Sarah, I suppose) could convince everyone that her eyes had just been dilated for an ophthalmology exam or something. (Assuming they're rehearsing indoors, doing it as a fashion statement doesn't work: it would imply remoteness or feeling superior, and Sarah can't behave that way and maintain her well-deserved reputation as unusually accessible and lacking a superstar's ego.)

Eric

I've said for a long time now

that anyplace but BC, the secret would have long ago been discovered. Theymightas well have hired one of those planes that fly banners around football stadiums and other such places.

One challenge over...

...plenty more to come. Not least of which will be the concert and (more particularly) the associated Star Party, which of course will involve Sarah talking to Megan's friends at close range, unamplified (i.e. the same volume / pitch / intonation that Megan would use when talking to her friends). Then in particular, one or more of the invitees might twig - hopefully if they do, they'll have the tact to remain discreet.

I'd be very surprised if the list of people who know about Sarah's dual identity has not increased by the time of the Christmas concert, even if (somehow) she manages to avoid it becoming public knowledge by then.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

In the best of all worlds the Hannah Montana trick would ...

last for as long as Megan wants/needs it.

In a more realistic but *friendly* world it will last up through Christmas. That would give her the opportunity to tell her extended family at thanksgiving then break it to the public at the Christmas concert.

Like others here, though few were as physically close to Megan as Paul was as her lab partner I have to believe the after concert Star party is a HUGE risk. Somebody is likely to realize who she is, maybe several.

And we still have the ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM fact that Megan and Sarah can never be in the same room at the same time.

The hoopla and near hysterical excitement of a Sarah Carerra event can only distract those who know Megan for so long.

Mind you the fan excitement can be very powerful and might still preserve Megans secret.

For proof of that listen to any Beatles live concert recording. It's hard to hear a thing over the near constant shreaking of the crowd.

Love to see where this is going.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Tension!

I thought I stopped chewing my fingernails when I was thirteen, but this one has me nibbling again. I feel like I'm tiptoeing to the kitchen to steal cookies fearing being caught!

Can Sarah keep this duality going without discovery? Is Megan's voice really so different? What's her back-up plan if she is outed? Where's Don? Oh, sure, Sarah's in charge, right? My dad would be looking over my shoulder chewing the ends of my pigtails watching every 'independent' move I made!

Lotsa money riding on this shooting star but what happens if her ascendancy is suddenly blocked by a single disastrous news release? What about her entire production group? People to pay, plans to fulfill, Pop Fly guys to keep employed... Oh my!

Can I repair my fingernails?

Jeannie

jmacaulay

Just around the corner

Aljan Darkmoon's picture

We were working on a song that talked all about persevering and looking forward to the good that was just around the corner.

Didn’t Hebert Hoover tell us that prosperity was also just around the corner? The difference between personal depression and a national one is only a matter of scale. Where the hell is a Franklin Roosevelt when ya need one?

What took her so long

Angharad's picture

She should have done that from the beginning.

Angharad

In the long view

Sarai's true identity will have to come out, she is only delaying the inevitable.