Cavegirl

Printer-friendly version

My contribution to the Caveman trend - a tale of a high school cheerleader.
---

When I was a freshman, I had to sit and watch my sister Whitney the head cheerleader finish practice if I wanted a ride home. After a while the girls got used to seeing me there, and I got familiar enough with most of their routines that I could point out who had made mistakes, and they learned that I wasn’t just there to leer at them like most guys would; I was seriously interested in their craft. I’d always liked gymnastics, but I wasn’t big enough to be one of those guy cheerleaders because they need to be strong enough to catch and throw the girls around. So I was content to watch, although one time I got to help out showing the girls how to do a backflip.

I was kind of sad going into my sophomore year, because my sister had graduated, so I wouldn’t have an excuse to hang out with my cheering friends anymore. But then Lindsay, the new captain, pointed out that Wendy had also graduated, and I could take her place with the squad. She had worn a big costume and played the role of Zugg the Caveman, our school mascot, who performed along with the cheerleaders at all the Greenhill Mastodons’ games. Even though it meant wearing an uncomfortable giant head mask and a baggy tunic made of brown fake fur, I accepted the offer. Eventually I figured out how to do a flip without my head falling off.

Everything was going fine until the fourth basketball game of my junior year. At half-time we’d worked out this cute skit where Zugg would get excited and club one of the girls over the head with his big (Styrofoam) club and drag her off. It was great — the crowd loved it!

But the next day in the local paper there was this editorial by Mrs. Tremont, the busiest body who ever was, where she complained about the “simulated rape scene” in our halftime show, and said that the violent caveman mascot should be replaced with something less misogynist. So after a petition and a special meeting of the school board, the student body voted on a new mascot. It was probably just to get me to step down and Mrs. Tremont’s niece Debbie, who’d auditioned for the squad and didn’t make it, would take my job.

But I didn’t quit. So now I dance around at games wearing a padded leopard-print bikini, as Zula the Cavegirl. It’s not a very accurate costume; Zula has no body hair anywhere, has to wear pink nail polish on her fingers and toes, and her makeup is heavy so the people in the stands can see how cute she is. Still, it’s more comfortable than that sweaty head was and it is great to be able to see. The best part is when the squad does a pyramid, I now get to be at the top.

It’s even worth having to occasionally flirt with visiting players.

up
125 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

HOORAY FOR ZULA!

laika's picture

Great story. Short but sweet! Zula sounds adorable. (I woke up to read a caveman story and read one before turning in, read & wrote a lot of missives about them in between. Weird day...)

I kind of have to agree with old Mrs. Tremont. I know it's a classic routine about paleolithic "courtship" (ME LIKE CONCUSSION NOOKIE!), but it's just too evocative of something that shatters lives. I don't know if I would ban it, but I would wince, and seriously question its taste. I would bet the perpetually disgruntled Mrs. Tremont doesn't like the Zula mascot either. Lewd and all that...

bad Mrs. Tremont

The act as described can be considered a form of theatre play. Are we now going to forbid acting out crimes ? I guess that means it should also be forbidden in movies then. Hollywood can close down and we'll have another bunch of people looking for new jobs.

The situation described above is for me nothing more then power abuse. Someone using their influence trying to get something juicy out of it for themselves, their family or friends, while in the process inventing some shaky justification for their actions.

I'm not going to spell it out for you because I fear Erin would feel obliged to remove this post if I did, but I believe you'll have no trouble finding this same scenario happening in US politics. Most likely you can even find something like it happening in your neighbourhood, whereever you might live. Sadly, power abuse is a worldwide disease.

Hugs,

Kimby

Hugs,

Kimby

Go Zula, Go!

I do agree in so far as this is a case of attemped nepotism, that backfired. Mrs. Tremont saw the act of Zugg clubbing a cheerleader and dragging her off the field, as an excuse to try and get what she wanted, for her niece. But what is it they say about best laid plans? When the boy who played Zugg, didn't quit, and became Zula, Mrs. Tremont's plan worked, kinda, but not the way she had hoped. The boy, whose name was never mentioned, stood his ground, and actually became a female cheerleader/mascot, named Zula. Go Zula, Go!

Thank you for sharing Jennifer, I really loved reading this.

With super love & big as the sky hugs
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

Thanks

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I know my character didn't give his name, but I couldn't find a nice way to do it.
The challenge was 500 words, so I didn't have room for any dialogue, and opening with "Hello. My name is.." seemed too cliche. If I ever do another Zula story, I'll be sure to say his name somewhere.

So this is 'Cavegirl'

I guess I missed this challenge, huh.

I remember a comment about a possible continuation of this, or a rewrite or something? I hope you do decide to do it eventually, it would be fun to read.

Melanie E.

Cavegirl

This was the writing challenge that I was attempting to answer here.

A while back I'd been thinking of writing a serial, and had been considering doing "The Chronicle of Zula." But that was before a minor character in my Christmas story got her own spinoff, and I also decided to release the pieces of my unfinished novel as incentive to get me to write the rest. So I don't want to start another one until those two finish.

But I've also got some ideas for self-contained stories about Zula, like where someone nominates her for Homecoming Queen as a joke but it spirals out of control, or where she becomes a minor YouTube celebrity after someone films one of her half-time routines. I may do one of those if my plate ever becomes less full. There are a number of my old characters I want to revisit, and also some story ideas I'm itching to do.

Happy Anniversary!

Well Jennifer, you have 365 days before Cavegirl's next anniversary and we hound you again to revisit Zula. That's plenty of time, right Angharad? Also, this story is like Lainie Lee's How Could She Refuse Drabble Tale, it may be complete, but a lot was left unsaid.

Note: I like long stories.

I am a grain of sand on a near beach; a nova in the sky, distant and long.
In my footprints wash the sea; from my hands flow our universe.
Fact and fiction sing a legendary song.
Trickster/Creator are its divine verse.

--Old Man CoyotePuma

Cutie Zulie

Jennifer, have you ever thought about continuing this story? I could see Zula being an Auntie of Stephanie or uncle depending upon the story.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Adorable story, Jenny. A little treat to make a smile.

I know it's silly, but some of my favorite stories anywhere, are the ones that
I read and think, "God, I wish this were me." This is such a cute little story
Jenny. I'm sorry I was not around to read it when it came out.

Everyone should take a few minutes to read, or reread, this one.

Sarah

Just this...

Andrea Lena's picture

....GO GREENHILL...GOOOOOO...TEAM!

She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Possa Dio riccamente vi benedica, tutto il mio amore, Andrea

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena