Dottie's Test - A Jaci and Dottie story

Printer-friendly version

Dottie’s Test - A Jaci and Dottie story

“I feel ... helpless!”

Dr. Adam Saintclair nodded, and gave the young girl sitting in front of him a reassuring pat on the hand.

Dorothy had come a long way in a very short time, and Dr. Saintclair was starting to get the impression that given half a chance, she could be someone quite exceptional. But recent events at the house she shared with “Tante ‘Drea” had stopped that progress in its tracks.

Her adopted sister Jaci had been expecting a visit from her birth parents, and had gotten the impression they wanted to take her home, that they could accept the girl she actually was, but instead they had ended up driving off without so much as a word to the little girl, and the whole house ached with the grief Jaci felt.

“Poor Jaci ... I should be able to .. .I should ... ” Dorothy sighed.

“What do you think you should be doing?”

“I .. I dont know, something to make her feel better. And I cant!” And like a dam bursting, the tears began to flow.

********

Much later, Dr. Saintclair looked over the notes he’d taken during his session with Dorothy. There was little doubt that Dorothy was more intelligent than they had thought, and a lot of her childish behavior was emotionally based, rather than because of her intellect. He made a phone call to Dorothy’s school, hoping to arrange a way to find out the truth ....

******

A couple of days later, Dottie came home from school in tears, and went to her room and wept on her bed. Suddenly, she started screaming, and throwing things around before collapsing on the floor like a puppet whose strings had been cut.

Andrea came into the room, and sighed. Jaci was still acting numb from her rejection by her parents, and now it seemed like it was Dottie’s turn to act up.

“What happened, Dorothy?”

“I ... I was given a test today. They said it was a special test. And ... and I couldnt finish it. I’m ... I’m a dummy!”

“Dorothy look at me. LOOK at me. You are NOT a dummy, no matter how you did on this test.”

“But they want you to come to the school, cause you’re acting for my mom. I must have done horrible!”

“Sweetie, I want you to try and calm down. I will go tomorrow and find out what’s going on."

The next morning, Drea managed to get in to see Dr. Saintclair before she was to go to the school.

“Maybe I’m the wrong person to take care of these girls. I have no idea what to do!” She cried.

“Andrea. Please listen. You are exactly the right person to look after these two girls. Can you imagine how Jaci would be treated in a group home? Or Dorothy, for that matter? You’ve been where these girls are. You know the journey they’re on. Who else would understand them as well as you?”

“That’s what my pastor says. He says God laid me in their lives, having been through what I’ve been through, so I could help them.”

“And do you think so?”

“....Yes. I love these girls. I couldnt love them more if they had come from my body.”

“Then love them. And have faith.”

******

Later that afternoon, ‘Drea went to Dottie’s school, and picking up both girls who had waited in the library for her, went to see Dottie’s teacher. She asked the two girls to wait while she talked to the teacher, then went into the classroom.

“Dorothy came home very upset the other day, over a test?” She asked.

“Ah. I’m sorry. Dorothy must have misunderstood how that test works. It gets progressively harder until the student cant answer the questions. Its a good way to judge where they are.”

“So what were the results?”

“That’s the interesting thing. Dorothy reading level is .... beyond exceptional. She reads and understands at a level equal to a fourth year University student.”

“I knew she was smart, but .... So what do we do about that? Do you want to advance her in grades?”

“No, because she isnt equally as good in other areas. Her handwriting is poor, and her spelling is below average at best. We were thinking that we should give Dorothy an adult library card. In her Reading class, she can read quietly instead of doing what the other students are doing, with the proviso that she do a report on whatever book she chooses.”

“Sounds good to me. Hey, Dottie. Got some good news for you!”

****

Later, with her brand new library card in her hand and some brand new clothes in a bag, Dottie skipped home swinging Jaci’s hand and singing. Jaci still seemed totally numb, and that worried ‘Drea a great deal, but at least her other charge seemed to be past her little crisis.

Until they got home, and Dottie saw a message waiting on the phone.

“Tante? I ... its my mom. She want to see me.”

“Oh boy.”

up
105 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

giggle

Whats in the bags?

This is Very Good, Dottie

I suspect you have described your intelligence very well. I was reading at a 11.5 grade level in 5th grade and my spelling was terrible. Maybe you can take some night school classes and get a job where you can use your intelligence.

I hope Dorothy's mom will not get her too stressed, but your RL mom sounds pretty accepting even tho' it's taken so long.

Drea's probably going to adopt her two girls and that will reassure and comfort them.

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

this was based on a test I took in the 6th grade

I could read at a university level, but couldnt spell or do much math, so no one really knew what the heck to do with me. I ended up being allowed to take out adult books and even helped the teacher grade the other students....

Thanks for the comment hon.

DogSig.png

I was kinda same in school.

I was pretty good at readin', but my writin' was all cramped and scrawly. I wasn't all that bad at spellin', 'cept when letters got swapped around. It took me a pretty long time 'fore I got the hang of writin' and spellin'.

Interesting...

RobertaME's picture

When I was 10, I had to go see a therapist because of some emotional problems after my step siblings were badly burned in an explosion. (the accident happened in my bedroom in my grandparents' basement) He made me take an IQ test and I scored at 128... above average, but nothing spectacular. Two years later I was retested after my mother found out that I was getting beaten up every day after school and flunking 7th grade, only to find that I scored 136. The test has a margin of error, so it wasn't noteworthy. When I turned 17 and got kicked out of school, I had to see another therapist, and she made me test again... but this time I scored a 154. I was officially a freak. IQ isn't supposed to ever change much over a person's life, because it's always measured against others the same age. By 22 I had a score of 167, 182 by age 28. Nowadays it's around the 200 mark and holding steady.

I brought it up because it's a pattern I have noticed among TGs... we are all especially gifted in intelligence. Each in our own ways of course, (I myself have the greatest intelligence in mathematics and physics... while others are more talented in words) but it's interesting that this thing which makes us all so troubled also seems to gift us with exceptional mental abilities. Perhaps there is a physiological tie between that which makes us be another gender than our genetics and our abilities to reason more clearly and completely than most of the population. Perhaps it's just that we are rejected by society, so many of us retreat into reading, which expands our minds more than average...

or maybe, just maybe, God has granted us these gifts to show everyone else just how special we are and that there is so much more to a person than whether they're male or female.

Just an observation...