Healing a Princess...44 (Nivia)

Printer-friendly version



Healing a Princess...44

(Nivia)

by Anistasia Allread

The door to the inn banged open. Rikki’s head snapped towards the sound, his saber leaving its sheath. Sergeant Galyway was half way to his feet when three men in long dark green coats surrounded him. Five more green coated men with swords drawn entered the room as well.
Takar had his sword out and imposed his body like an armored wall between the intruders and the three Princesses.
“Hold!” a voice rang out. “Hold in the name of her Majesty, Queen Sakari!”
Rikki was dumbfounded. The serving maid was white as a ghost and nearly in tears of fright. With Takar blocking her view, Tonya looked up at her Captain for guidance. The bar keep was white, but her eyes flared with danger. Peering around Takar. Rikki could see Sergeant Galyway’s jaw clenched, If he were closer, Rikki bet he could hear him growling at the men surrounding him.
There was no way he could get Tonya up the stairs or out the back quick enough, even if Takar and he were fighting them off.

Tonya gathered the blanket around her shoulders and quietly slipped past sailors and guardsmen to the opening in the canvas. Most of the grass had been pounded by the hail, wind and driving rain of the storm, but everything smelled fresh. She half expected to see flowers dotting the rolling plains but was greeted with only a gray sky and the flattened grass.
The Wheel ruts were filled; in some places the water had spilled over the top of the ruts creating small lakes. The ruins towered over them from their perch a dark jagged outline against the rising sun.
“Good morning, your Highness.” A cook greeted from a cook fire. “I’m sorry, your Highness, but all we have is porridge this morning.”
“Porridge will be just fine.” Tonya smiled. She accepted a bowl of the stuff from the cook and limped out into the grass to survey what the storm had done. She hardly noticed Kama Takar’s large frame following her.
The land ships looking strange to her eyes looked even stranger with the canvas around the base of their hulls and draped over the bowsprit. She turned around and looked up into the tumbled stones of Vacana. The dark place gave her the shivers. She looked about and tried to figure out why someone would build a stronghold out in the middle of this wide open plain. The river was a few leagues to the north. There weren’t any hills to mine nearby.
A sound of movement in the grass caught her attention. So’ryn was slowly approaching and grazing at the same time.
::Good morning, So’ryn.:: She greeted.
::Good morning, Princess.::
::Do you know why they built this fortress out in the middle of nowhere?:: She inquired.
So’ryn lifted his head and studied Vacana for a moment. ::I believe when it was built, that the river’s course ran a good deal closer to its base.::
::River’s move?:: Tonya scoffed.
::Over time, they do, Princess.
::But that much?::
::It takes many lifetimes, but yes.::
Tonya pondered that for a while.

* * *

“Are you going to stand out here all day?” a voice startled her from her thoughts. She turned to see Rikki approaching. “Captain Bowen wants to get going soon.”
Tonya noticed that the canvas that had protected them throughout the night was all gone and people were boarding the land ships.
Tonya blushed. “I must have gotten lost in my thoughts.”
Rikki took her hand and darted a look at towards the land ships then bent down and kissed her on the cheek. “Good morning,”
The warmth of the porridge was nothing compared to his lips in firing up her blood. “Good morning.” She hoped her voice didn’t sound as stilted as it felt.
“So what were you thinking about out here?” Rikki asked.
“Something So’ryn was saying.”
“Mmm?”
“He was talking about how a river’s course will move over time. It just got me to thinking about how things change; rivers, bays, islands, even mountains.”
“What about the changing land?” Rikki asked.
“The concept; It is just so huge. What things I decide for my kingdom will hardly effect anything hundreds or thousands of years from now.”
“Or you can look at it the opposite way.” Rikki pointed out. He looked at her waiting for a response. She was too much in a fog with the lack of sleep and the new revelation. “That one of your smallest decisions can have ever lasting effects hundreds and thousands of years from now.” He explained.
Tonya smiled and wrapped her arm through his. He could think that it was because she needed assistance walking back to the land ship. But she just wanted to feel his strong arms and be close to him.
Captain Bowen lowered the hoist to lift her up to the land ship. Tonya smiled as Rikki stepped up behind her and cradled her as the hoist lifted the two of them. She leaned back against his chest enjoying the feeling of his strength against her back.
“Do you really think I can change things for thousands of years?” She asked.
Rikki leaned forward and kissed her cheek. “I think it is definitely possible.” He whispered in her ear.
Tonya smiled, again feeling the warmth spread through her body.
“Everyone is aboard!” Cast off!” Captain Bowen called out.
“Hang on, Tonya.” Rikki told her as he held her shoulders with his sure hands. He guided her to the stack of crates and bales. “Sit here.”
Tonya looked up into the rigging to see the sailors unfurling the sails filling the top two thirds of the land ship with white canvas. The canvas began to snap, then billow. The land ship jerked as it fought being moved. Then it shook as it lost its hold against the wind. Slowly it began picking up speed.
“Okay, you can move about; just be careful, Highness.” Rikki cautioned.
Tonya watched with relief as the ruins of Vacana began to roll to the side and then to behind the ship. She hoped she never saw those piles of rock again. She had heard several people last night having nightmares. After the stories that she had heard about the old fortress, she was surprised that she didn’t have night mares as well.
A large spray of water erupted from the flooded wheel ruts as the ship made its way through. Tonya noticed her servants and soldiers looking over the side of the land ship and laughing as the wheels forced the water up and out of the long skinny trench.
Looking aft, she noticed Monyka sitting next to the red headed man who appeared yesterday. Her half-sister looked ill. Her completion was pale and she was bundled up in blankets. The red haired man who had appeared yesterday sat next to her talking to her.
“I’ve got something for you.” Rikki caught her attention.
Tonya looked as he held something out for her. “Your field glass?” She asked.
Rikki nodded. He extended the cylindrical tool and held it up to his eye. “One can see close to half a league with this.” He pulled it from his eye and handed it to her.
Tonya smiled and held it up to her eye. The horizon jumped forward, showing details that she couldn’t see with just her eyes alone. “This is a nice field glass, Rikki.” She said as she looked back to the ruins of Vacana. “My father had a few. He let me look through them occasionally. It looks to be of good quality.”
“Thank you.” Rikki beamed. “I picked it up while we were in Narvo.”
Tonya moved the glass and spotted Ka’mya galloping through the grass, her strong muscles bunching and pushing her forward with each stride. Her white mane and tail fluttering about behind her as she gracefully moved. She looked so free as she moved. Tonya sighed. She was getting closer to her goal, closer to being freed from her limp and her pain. Closer to being free to run through the grass.

--o0o–

In her weakened condition, Monyka was in no shape to climb up onto the ship. Her reaction head ache was down to a dull roar, but she was still exhausted. Captain Bowen lowered a hoist for her to ride up as if she were her crippled half-sister. She felt foolish being hoisted up onto the ship. Grymm taking after Captain Kalhoun stood behind her wrapping his arms around hers to hold on to the rope as well as the hoist lifted the two of them up and gently on to the deck. Kaniel and Gemma were there waiting for her and guided her up to the quarter deck.
“I asked the Riponian servants if they had some camp chairs and a table for us. We’re going to be up here most of the day. Unless it rains.” Kaniel indicated to the chairs and small side table.
“I’ve got a couple of blankets from Rose to keep you warm.” Gemma added. “We’ve also made arrangements with the cooks to keep the food coming.”
“No one is supposed to know that I’m Tonya’s sister.” Monyka whispered.
“Dear, they all did this in repayment for you saving them from those blood mages. Not just the ones in the ravine but the one in the tornado.” Gemma explained.
“I thought no one was supposed to know about us having the gift or using it?” Monyka was confused. Even though she slept through most of the rest of the night, she felt like she had only had about three hours of sleep.
“You kind of blew that one when you began throwing fireballs and lightning bolts back in the ravine.” Gemma smiled. “You may have opened the door for some of us to start using the gift more openly.”
Monyka sat in one of the chairs and felt silly as Gemma tucked a blanket in around her legs. Then wrapped one around her shoulders.
“Everyone is staring.” Monyka whispered to the midwife.
“They want to make sure that you are feeling okay, dear. They know that you took a toll on your body yesterday.”
Grymm leaned against a railing nearby and studied the fortress ruins.
Kaniel knelt beside her. A bright green aura suddenly surrounded him. His aura was mostly green, but it had a lot of red, black and blue ribbons and threads. Monyka looked at Gemma then back at Kaniel. “Wow, he is bright.”
Gemma smiled.
“Am I this bright?” Monyka inquired.
“You are much brighter than I.” Kaniel stated. He took her hand in his. Monyka felt a slight electrifying jolt as he began pouring energy into her. Unexpectedly, without her thinking about it. her aura leaped into being and she watched in wonder as a small bridge shot out from her hand latched onto Kaniel’s aura and began pulling even more energy into her. It felt similar to scratching an itch that had been bothering her for a while.
“Whoa! Stop!” Kaniel demanded.
It took some effort but Monyka pulled back the bridge. At the same time, Kaniel withdrew his and looked at her with concern. “Where did you learn that?” he asked.
“I didn’t.” Monyka stated, feeling refreshed with the borrowed energy.
“Why did you start grabbing energy from me?” Kaniel’s voice was like ice.
“I didn’t mean to.” Monyka reached for her necklace. “I didn’t realize I was doing it until it was done.”
“Monyka.” Kaniel fixed her with a harsh stare. “Don’t ever take from someone energy without asking. Ever.”
“That is almost like raping someone, dear.” Gemma explained. “It’s violating and underhanded.”
“I didn’t mean to.” Monyka said honestly. “I really didn’t know or even try to. It just happened.”
Kaniel just nodded. “Well you have enough for a while, shall we see what you can do?” He changed the subject.
Monyka nodded.
“Ground and center.” He stated.
“What is that?” Monyka asked. “What does that mean?”
Kaniel looked to Gemma then to Monyka. “It’s the same as anchoring your core. Some people in lands call it by different things. Gemma calls it anchoring your core, I call it grounding your center. Other places call it other things. Just like what Gemma calls a bridge, I call a stream. Others call it a channel. Different terms all meaning the same thing.”
Monyka nodded.
Kaniel looked at Gemma. “Anchor your core.”
Monyka felt him probing her shield.
“Hold it up and resist me.” He stated.
Monyka did so then felt her shield shatter. She gasped as she felt him surrounding her core with his own shield, cutting her off from the gift.
“Well that needs work.” He released his shield. “Gemma says that you can throw fire balls and draw heat out of fires?”
“I guess so.” Monyka wasn’t so sure anymore especially with how easily he was able to shield her from her own powers.
Kaniel pointed to a bush off the North side of the ship. “Slowly add heat to that until it bursts into flames.”
Monyka built a bridge to the shrub and began pushing heat through it to it. It began to smolder. A thin trail of smoke wafted above it, then the branches suddenly burst into flame.
“Okay. Draw the heat out of it.” Kaniel instructed. He watched as the flames left the shrub and the heat returned to Monyka’s aura in the form of red ribbons of energy.
“Good.” He praised. “Good.” He pointed up at the sail as it billowed, collecting the wind. “Can you push the air to fill the sail?”
“The sail is full.” Monyka protested.
“If you add more wind we’ll go faster.” Kaniel pointed out.
“I don’t know how.” Monyka admitted.
“Think about it and try.” He stated. “I want to see how you’d go about doing it.”
Monyka nodded. She anchored her core checked her shield then pushed against the sail. She thought about blowing into the sail and tried pushing different colors of ribbon through her bridge at it. Air, push air she thought. Suddenly she felt resistance against the sail as she pushed yellow along the bridge.
“Good.” Kaniel encouraged. “Now add a bit of red, a touch of indigo and a little bit of white.”
Monyka could feel the ship start to speed up a little bit.
“Good,” Kaniel smiled. “Now do the same as you are doing but with less effort. Back off on the amounts.”
Monyka did as told. She began losing the power behind the sail. She could feel the ship slowing down It was taking a lot of effort to gather the wind and focus it against the sail. Finally she let go of the bridge and pulled the last bits of her aura back. “That is hard.” She commented.
Kaniel nodded. “Moving air is one of the hardest things to do. A lot of time it is easier to move a boulder than to move air.” He explained. “Watch as I do it.”
Monyka watched as Kaniel created a small bridge to the sail. He sent the energy through the bridge then began shaping the bridge. The energy began flowing in a circular pattern as it hit the sail, it moved up and around, doubling back to hit the sail again and again in a never ending flow. Instead of releasing the bridge he pushed his end to meet up with the other end. He then fused the two and anchored it in place. He then sat back and looked at Monyka.
She gaped as she realized that he wasn’t using or exerting any energy. She then looked back at the sail and saw that the bridge or, as Kaniel more appropriately called it, stream continued it circular motion and continued pushing the sail.
“That is one way of doing something and not expending as much energy.” He smirked. “Now you give it a try.”
Monyka worked with Kaniel for the rest of the morning as she worked on learning her new skills. Gemma kept plying her with food and drink while Kaniel showed her how to strengthen her shield by allowing it to flex. She also worked on quickly establishing a stream between her and whatever she was working on. Kaniel explained to her that sometimes the quickness of establishing that stream could make the difference between life and death. He had her heat her own tea and chill her honovi juice.
Captain Bowen was surprised and pleased at how fast his ship was moving but couldn’t figure out why or how the other ships weren’t able to keep up. The waves of grass seemed to fly by.
“We might be able to make Nivia by this evening at this rate.” Bowen told Rikki and Tonya.
Even the Horse Lords were having a hard time keeping up with the ship.
Around mid day. Kaniel severed the streams of circulating air.
“What did you do that for?” Monyka asked.
“We need to allow Princess Ka’mya and her Horse Lords to catch up and rest.” He smiled. “Besides, it will give you more chances to work on creating them again.”
“You should eat up. You’ve used a lot of energy this morning.” Gemma placed a basket of fruit, vegetables and cheese on the table beside her.

--o0o--

Concerned about leaving the other ships behind, Rikki stood at the rear of the ship with his spy glass and watched to see if they were in any danger. He felt a presence beside him. Rikki lowered his field glass and was surprised to see Sergeant Takoda standing patiently beside him. He was surprised because the Sergeant at Arms had made himself scarce over the past few days and argued with every decision that he had made.
“Captain.” Takoda stated somewhat coolly.
“Yes, Sergeant?” Rikki glanced from the old war veteran to the land ship behind them. “What can I do for you?”
“I . . . I have behaved poorly towards you over the past few days, Captain.” Sergeant Takoda was having trouble getting his words out. “I wish apologize and to present myself to you for disciplinary action and court martial.” The Sergeant let the last out in a hushed sigh.
“Sergeant, I accept your apology, but there is nothing to discipline or court martial you for.”
“I hit you.” Takoda stated. “I got drunk on duty, I accused you of murder, and I have argued direct orders as well as caused dissidence under your command.” Takoda finished.
“You hit me because you thought I murdered your friend and possibly lover.” Rikki stated. “Arguing with me is your job, and why I asked King Tobias to send you with us; to be my counsel. And any dissidence that you caused was minor and will be easily soothed.” Rikki continued looking behind them. “Sergeant, what do you think would happen if I were to court martial you?” Rikki asked. There was a long pause.
::He’s going to beat himself up over this if you don’t give him a punishment of some kind, Captain.:: So’ryn informed.
::I know, but what can I do without damaging my tenuous relationship with Tonya?::
::Have him pull extra guard duty?::
::Too easy.:: Rikki surmised. ::It has to be something that he will think is fair but that Tonya won’t notice.::
Rikki looked at Takoda. “Her Highness would cause me more problems that you ever even dreamed of. Once King Tobias found out, I’d be knocked back to cavalryman if not thrown in the stockade. There is no way that I could court martial you and not look the fool. As for the drinking on duty?” Rikki looked from the Sergeant at Arms back to the following ship. “I’ll think on a fitting punishment.”
Sergeant Takoda just stood there, not knowing what to do. He let out a long breath and took another. “I am sorry, Captain.” He apologized.
“I heard you.” Rikki stated. “let’s put it behind us. Getting these Princesses safely to Malden is my most pressing concern right now. We can deal with everything else after.”
Sergeant Takoda saluted him which Rikki returned, then stalked off. Rikki watched him go. What could he do? Takoda was protected by his King and was as much as an uncle to Tonya. If he did anything to punishment, no matter how much deserved, Tonya would have a fit.
The Land ship noticeably slowed down. Rikki could see So’ryn and Ka’mya start to catch up to them.
::It’s about time they stopped.:: So’ryn sighed.
::Stop what?:: Rikki asked.
::Monyka and that sorcerer Kaniel have been using their powers to push the ship along.::
::I was wondering why we were traveling so much faster than the ships behind us.::
::With their help, the land ship could sail through the night and be in Malden tomorrow but leave us all far behind.::
:It is a thought, though.:: Rikki pondered it for a moment. No. he had left too many people behind too many times on this trip.
“Captain.” Bowen greeted. “We are going to slow down up here and take a break to allow the Horse Lords and horses to catch up and get a break. I’m sure they could use some water.”
“I agree, Captain Bowen.” Rikki nodded. “Is there a water source nearby?”
“A small stream is just ahead.”
“I’ll inform her Highness.” Rikki closed up his field glass and put it away. Rikki looked forward and spotted Kama Takar standing before the quarterdeck. Tonya sat upon a crate and leaned back against a crate, eyes closed. Annyka sat nearby. Her eyes were beginning to close, her head nod forward. She snapped her eyes open and lifted her head. She looked to the Princess to make sure that she hadn’t seen. The poor girl. She probably hadn’t gotten a wink of sleep most of the night with that thunder storm raging. Rikki thought
He walked forward and found Monyka eating some carrots and radishes.
He looked from the Princess in hiding to Kaniel. “Can you not push this ship too far ahead of the others? I would like to keep them together for security reasons.” He explained.
“Sure Captain. No problem. I was just trying to teach Monyka.” Kaniel smiled.
“The Horse Lords are having a hard time keeping up as well.”
“Sorry, Captain. We’ll work on something else.” Kaniel agreed.
“We’ll be stopping up here to let them catch up and get some water. If her Highness wakes up, could you inform her?”
“Sure, Captain.” Gemma held out a slice of honovi for him.
“Thank you.” Rikki bit off a piece of the sweet fruit. He went down to where the poor young Annyka was trying to stay awake. She became alert as he approached.
“Come here.” He whispered.
Annyka looked to Tonya and then stepped off with him.
“Didn’t sleep well last night?” he asked.
Annyka sighed. “No” she relented.
“It’s okay. Not many people did. “If you are that tired, go take a nap.”
“But her Highness might need me.” Annyka protested.
“She’s sleeping.” Rikki pointed out. “If she needs you, I’m sure someone can find you.” He looked down at the young woman who looked back skeptically. “How about you curl up on a bale of something soft near enough to her so that you can be there for you.” He suggested. “I’ll see if I can find you a blanket.”
“She won’t mind?” Annyka asked.
“If she has an issue with it, you just tell her that I ordered you to.” Rikki smiled.
Annyka relaxed. She nodded, “Okay.”
When he turned around. Tonya was waking up. He saw Annyka sigh.
“You feeling better?” Rikki asked.
“Yes.”
“We’re stopping to water the Horse Lords and allow them a rest. Also to allow the other land ships to catch up.”
“I’m getting hungry.” Tonya admitted.
“I’ll see if I can find you something, Highness.” Annyka dipped a curtsy and disappeared.
“She needs a nap.” Rikki looked the direction where Annyka went. “She was trying not to fall asleep while you slept. I told her that I ordered her to take a nap. She was probably up most of the night with that storm.”
“You’re probably right.” Tonya nodded. “I think I want to ride Ka’mya this afternoon. Would that be alright?”
“I’ll have to find some Horse Lords willing to allow a body guard to ride them. Kama Takar can stay on the ship. Maybe I can get him to catch some sleep too.”
“Hang on down there!” Captain Bowen called.
Tonya grabbed a hold of the crate she was holding on to. Rikki braced himself, lowering his center of gravity.
The Suri became a flurry of motion as the sails were furled. There wasn’t much of a jolt, just a loss of momentum as the ship slowed. Rikki was just getting ready to relax when the ship did stop suddenly sending him forward and tumbling into his Princess.
“I’m. . . I’m sorry.” He stammered.
Tonya giggled. “You should have seen your face.”
Rikki felt his face turn red as he stood back up.
When he looked over the side of the Suri, So’ryn and Princess Ka’mya were down by the clear creek, their sides heaved as they sucked up cool water.
::Don’t overdo it.:: Rikki warned.
::I know, Captain.:: the black and white horse scoffed.
::Sorry. Just habit.:: Rikki apologized.
A sailor ran by Rikki and began scrambling up the rigging like a squirrel up a tree. He didn’t stop until he was near the top. He pulled out a field glass and began scanning the horizon.
“Expecting trouble, Captain?” Rikki asked of Bowen.
“Sometimes highway men think they can score a big horde by attacking land ships.” Bowen explained. Sometimes they lay in wait. Other times they come racing over the top of a hill on horses.”
“Do I need to post a guard?”
“I don’t think it will be needed.” Bowen answered while watching the sailor up the mast.
“Grymm.” Rikki motioned to the Corporal.
“Yes, sir?”
“Have ten men with bows and cross bows stand guard around the ship.”
“On board or on the ground, sir?”
“On board.”
Grymm went in search.
::Princess Tonya wants to ride with Ka’mya. I’m sure Princess Adiah would like to as well. Do you have any volunteers that would be willing to allow some of my guards to ride on them as an escort?”::
::I’m sure I can come up with a few.:: So’ryn sounded confident.
::Thanks.::
“Captain?” Rikki asked.
“Yes?” Bowen lowered his gaze to meet Rikki's.
“How far do your ships go? Do you go all the way to Malden?”
“Wrong time of the year to take Suri to Malden. The wind isn’t right. I’m surprised that it was as good as it was today. We did more leagues today than I’ve done in a long time through that stretch.”
“So you are off loading in Nivia?”
Captain Bowen scratched at his beard and nodded. “Then turning Suri around, loading her up and taking advantage of the winds behind that storm that blew through. I should make good time back to Spruce Springs.”
“When I’m done with my mission, perhaps I can catch a ride from Malden or Nivia to Spruce Springs with you.”
“I’d like that, Captain Kalhoun. It’s kind of nice having soldiers along for extra protection.”

--o0o--

Captain Bowen stopped the land ships just outside of the town of Nivia. The sun was still up when they called the halt.
The Riponian soldiers and retinue were excited. Another day’s travel and they would be entering Malden. Servants and soldiers alike were quick in setting up their camp around the land ship. Many were happy to sleep in a tent versus under the hull of the land ships.
Once the camp had been set up. Rikki asked Sergeant Takoda to choose some men and to stay and help guard the camp and Captain Bowen’s ships. The rest he allowed into Nivia.
Rikki along with Kama Takar and Sergeant Galyway led Monyka, Adiah, and Tonya into Nivia’s best inn the Ozara’s Oasis.
Nivia was similar to Crossroads in the fact that it had several roads and a river connecting it to Malden and to the North West Passage. Several docks along the river allowed boats going up or down to stop. The Land ship captain’s such as Bowen could sell or buy their goods here or continue on to Malden by way of road or river.
A tall skinny bar keep looked twice at Takar before her gaze settled upon Rikki in his Riponian blue coat.
“How can I help you my Lord?” She inquired.
“We’ll need three rooms with three tubs and hot water.” Rikki stated.
The bar keep looked from him to the three young women. “Of course, my Lord.” She dipped her head. Ozara’s Oasis is the best and cleanest in town.”
“That is what I have heard.”
“Excuse me for one moment.” She smiled and disappeared behind a door.
“I need hot water for three baths now!” he heard her yell at the help in the back. “Get three tubs up stairs into the three finest rooms on the double.” There was a pause and the bar keep with closely cropped dark hair came out and greeted them with a gentle smile again. “I’m having the rooms prepared for you right now. In the meanwhile would you like to enjoy our fire? I could have some wine and perhaps some fish brought to you?”
Rikki looked to Tonya who dipped her head slightly.
“That would be fine.” Rikki smiled.
“Come this way, please.” The bar keep nearly sang as she scooted past them. “Move over Olif. Make room for these Ladies.” She growled at an old man enjoying his ale.
Olif growled back, looked up at the three Princesses with yellow, blood shot eyes and shuffled off to another table. The bar keep pulled out a stained rag and quickly wiped down the table and smiled at them.
Sergeant Galyway excused himself and sat at a table near the door. Takar stood off to one side of the fire place his hard stare scanning over the few other patrons.
“Some wine and perhaps some fresh baked bread to tide you over?”
“Yes, thank you.” Rikki nodded. He spotted two young maids struggling with a carrying a large copper tub up the stairs. “Do you have honovi juice?” He asked as she was turning away.
“Yes. Would you like some?”
“One honovi juice for me, and one for that large man by the door.” Rikki ordered.
“I’d like some tea.” Monyka smiled.
The bar keep, smile plastered to her face, nodded and disappeared in the back.
“Strange inn.” Adiah looked around.
“I think it is just a strange bar keep.” Monyka leaned her cheek on her hand.
“What’s wrong?” Tonya inquired.
“It has been a long day.” Monyka rubbed at her eyes.
“How long were you pushing the ship?” Rikki asked.
Monyka raised her head. “All day. Kaniel had me anchor a stream of wind to circulate against the sails, then he worked on my shields and other things.” She groaned.
“I wasn’t able to sleep last night.” Adiah yawned. “After my bath and some food, I’m going straight to bed.”
“We are sleeping here tonight, aren’t we?” Monyka inquired.
“If that is your wish.” Rikki nodded.
The strange skinny bar keep came out and produced a fresh loaf of bread and a small crock of butter as well as some jam. A serving maid was right behind her with their drinks.
“Thank you.” Rikki paid her and gave the serving maid a few coppers.
“Would you like your dinner before or after your baths?” the bar keep asked.
“After.” Tonya looked to the other two.
“Definitely after.” Monyka agreed.
“What are our plans from here, Rikki?” Tonya inquired.
“We can hire a couple of boats and float down to Malden or we can ride on the road.”
“Which will be faster?”
“They are about the same.”
::Which would you prefer, So’ryn? Going to Malden by boat or by road?::
::By road.::
“Ka’mya says that she wants to go by road.” Tonya echoed what Rikki was about to say.
“So’ryn agrees.” He nodded. He smothered a piece of bread with jam “So we want to stay with the Horse Lords?”
“I do.” Tonya stated.
“Please.” Adiah begged. “I love the Horse Lords. I just wish that I could talk with them like you three can.”
“With Ka’mya being Princess of Adwahna I think we should enter Malden together.” Tonya said from around a mouthful of bread and jam.
“We’ll have to say goodbye to Captain Bowen.” Rikki informed them. “He’s turning his ships around and heading back to Spruce Springs as soon as he can sell and buy his cargo.”
“It was a great ride.” Adiah pouted. “Almost as great as riding a Horse Lord.” She added after a pause.
One of the serving maids approached the table. “Your rooms and baths are ready M’Ladies.” She curtsied.
“Thank you.” Tonya gave her a quick warm smile.
The bar keeper appeared behind the young maid. “Get to the kitchen now.” She hissed through smiling teeth. The smile on the serving maid disappeared, replaced by fear. “I’m sorry if she bothered you, My Ladies.” She smiled at them. “Shall I take you to your rooms?”
“I’m sure you are far too busy to show us to our rooms.” Tonya slowly got to her feet. Rikki stood up to assist her “Your maid there should do nicely.”
“Oh, It's not bother at all.” The bar keep’s smile never wavered, but her eyes sparked with anger.
“I think the Lady is requesting that this young lady show us to our rooms.” Rikki’s voice grated with impatience.
The door to the inn banged open. Rikki’s head snapped towards the sound, his saber leaving its sheath. Sergeant Galyway was half way to his feet when three men in long dark green coats surrounded him. Five more green coated men with swords drawn entered the room as well.
Takar had his sword out and imposed his body like an armored wall between the intruders and the three Princesses.
“Hold!” a voice rang out. “Hold in the name of her Majesty, Queen Sakari!”
Rikki was dumbfounded. The serving maid was white as a ghost and nearly in tears of fright. With Takar blocking her view, Tonya looked up at her Captain for guidance. The bar keep was white, but her eyes flared with danger. Peering around Takar. Rikki could see Sergeant Galyway’s jaw clenched, If he were closer, Rikki bet he could hear him growling at the men surrounding him.
There was no way he could get Tonya up the stairs or out the back quick enough, even if Takar and he were fighting them off. There were three Princesses standing behind him. All three looking up to him for protection. He had to get to the bottom of this and he had to do so quickly. Tonya sucked in a pain filled breath as she shifted.
“Who are you?” Rikki called stepping up beside Takar, his hand still gripping his saber hilt.
“I am Lieutenant Taibor of Queen Sakari’s Dragoons.” The young man looked down his nose at Rikki. “Who might you and these. . . " He looked to Takar and motioned behind him at Markys, "thugs be?”
“I am Rikki Kalhoun; Captain of His Majesty Tobias of Riponia's Cavalry and the Captain of Her Royal Highness Tonya's personal body guard.” The edge in Rikki’s voice made the Dragoon lieutenant’s sound like a nasal courtesan.
Rikki heard the bar keep gasp and the sound of a body hitting the floor. He could only surmise that it was the serving maid. The Barkeep seemed too icy for fainting.
“You, Lieutenant," Captain Kalhoun continued, "have men holding my Sergeant. You will release him and then you will find your commanding officer and have him come here.”
The Lieutenant didn’t know how to respond. His eyes dodged from Rikki to Takar, then to one of his soldiers and back to Rikki. “Release the Sergeant.” His voice squeaked. He cleared his throat and pointed his sword at one of the soldiers. “You, go fetch the Captain.”
“Hold soldier.” Rikki was ready for this. The soldier froze and looked uncertainly from the Lieutenant to Rikki and back. Rikki stepped in front of Takar and looked the Lieutenant in the eye. “I told you to fetch your commanding officer, not one of your men.”
The Lieutenant swallowed a lump in his throat. “Keep them here.” He told the soldiers. He then turned as smoothly as he could and walked calmly out of the room.
The common room of the inn was silent except for the crackling of the fire in the fireplace.
“Takar, stand down.” Rikki ordered. “Relax Markys.” Rikki made eye contact with Sergeant Galyway. “Your Highness?” he called over his shoulder.
“Yes, Captain.” Tonya added steel to her voice.
Rikki wanted to smirk. She was so good at gathering her courage and verbally facing down threats. She had to do so in her father’s palace almost every day. “Are you alright, your Highness?” he kept stressing her title.
“Yes, Captain.”
“Please have a seat, your Highness.”
“I’m going to see to the maid.” Monyka explained as she dodged around the table and knelt down next to the young woman.
Rikki surveyed the seven soldiers in the room. “Who has sonority?” he asked.
One of the men relaxed a moment. “I do, Captain.” the green coated Dragoon lowered his sword and faced Rikki. “I’m Corporal Macanee.”
“Corporal would you and your men have a seat? I’m sure the Lieutenant won’t be too long.”
The Corporal smiled. “At ease, men.”
The soldiers in their long dark green coats and black pants all relaxed.
“I take it your Lieutenant hasn’t been with you very long? Or held his rank long?” Rikki asked.
One of the soldiers snorted.
“Quiet.” The Corporal snapped at the soldier. He turned back to Rikki. "Not long sir."
“Are we being taken prisoner?” Tonya gave the Corporal an icy stare.
“No, your Highness.” Corporal Macanee shook his head. “We are under orders to find you and assist in your arriving safely in Malden.”
Rikki turned back towards the Princesses and bar keep for the first time since the door banged in. “Barkeep, a round of ale for my friends here.” Rikki didn't expect them to drink while on duty, but it was his experience that it was a way to put soldiers at ease.
“Of course, Captain.” The dark haired barkeep nearly tripped over herself getting back behind he bar.
“You alright?” Monyka helped the serving maid to a seated position.
“Yes.” The young girl looked with frightened eyes from Monyka to Tonya and then back to Monyka. “Thank you. She started to hurry to her feet.
“Slow down.” Monyka told her. “You just fainted. It’s going to take you a few minutes to get your feet under you. Here, have a seat here.” She motioned to a chair.
“No, I couldn’t. Not in the Princess’s presence.”
Monyka looked up to Tonya. “Your Highness?”
Tonya smiled and locked eyes on the serving maid. “I command you to sit there and drink some water or wine for a few minutes to gather your strength.”
The serving maid nearly over turned the bar trying to scramble to the chair.
The barkeep gave the bar maid a furious look which was quickly replaced by a smile as she hurried mugs of ale out to all of the soldiers. Rikki lifted his mug to the Corporal and took a sip. The Corporal did the same. None of the other soldiers touched theirs.
“What for the love of the gods is going on in here!” a rough voice bellowed as it entered the inn.
The Blaire soldiers shot to their feet to stand at attention.
“I invited them to have a drink with me.” Rikki stated. He stood took another draw of the ale and stepped forward. “I’m Captain Kalhoun, Captain in charge of her Highness Tonya’s bodyguard.” Rikki greeted.
“I’m Captain Phelana of her Majesties Dragoons.” The short haired woman held her ground. She looked Rikki up and down, “Aren’t you a bit young to be a Captain?”
“Riponians believe that Captains should be used in the field, not wasted bouncing grandkids on their knees telling war stories.” Rikki came back.
The two officers stood staring at one another for a long moment. Captain Phelana’s lips twitched into a smile. “Where is her Highness, Captain Kalhoun?”
Rikki stepped aside and presented Tonya. "Captain. I’d like to introduce you to Tonya, Crown Princess of Riponia.”
The Captain of the Dragoons went down to her knee and bowed her head followed by all of the other soldiers “Your Highness.”
“And this is the Adiah, Princess of Truno.” Rikki continued. The Captain's head snapped up to Rikki’s to see if this was a jest. Seeing that it wasn’t she lowered her head again. “Your Highness.” she greeted.
Rikki knew that he shouldn’t, but the Lieutenant’s bravado rubbed him raw. “And this is Monyka, Princess of Riponia.”
The Captain again looked at Rikki. Rikki nodded his head. “We recently found out ourselves.”
The sound of a body hit the floor. Rikki looked up expecting to see the maid sprawled out again, but instead it was the barkeep. Monyka was glaring at him so hard he half expected her to throw a fireball at him. She really didn't want to be known as a Princess, but she'd have to get used to it. Tobias was going to have his head, but he was going to follow proto call until told otherwise.
Captain Phelana bowed her head to Monyka. “Your Highness.”
“You may rise.” Tonya’s voice rang out.
Rikki held his arm out and helped the Captain to her feet.
“We are honored to have you in Blaire, your Highness.” Captain Phelana greeted. “We were sent by Queen Sakari to honor you and protect you as you enter Malden.” Phelana looked at her young Lieutenant. “I must apologize for the. . . the issue that transpired earlier. I assure you that the Lieutenant will be dealt with accordingly.”
“I’m sorry, your Highness." The Lieutenant began, "I didn’t . . . I didn’t think -“
“No you didn’t.” Phelana cut him off and gave the Lieutenant an icy stare.
“Monyka, would you see to the barkeep?” Tonya asked ignoring the Lieutenant. "I'd like to get into a hot bath."
Monyka picked up Rikki’s mug of honovi juice and threw it into the barkeeps face.

--o0o--

up
96 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Wow!

I didn't expect seeing this new chapter today.
It really was worth the wait.

Unfortunately now I have to wait for the next one ;)

Martina

Healing a Princess...44 (Nivia)

Glad to see the Land Ship journey end well and love the bit of humor at the meeting at the inn. Easy to see that there will be a fellowship of soldiers from different cultures at this meeting.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

So...

...they're only a day away from their goal, and to all appearances they'll have protection for the final segment. It doesn't sound as though Phelana and her company could be impostors, and if that lieutenant has his own agenda -- which doesn't seem all that likely -- it ought to be tough for him to do anything about it without any support.

And I can't think of any reason that Queen Sakari would want to prevent them from completing their task, though I suppose she could try to drive a hard bargain. But with the abilities of Monyka, Kaniel and the others, I don't think Sakari could keep the princesses locked up for long if she were so inclined. (Besides, I'd expect our mysterious recurring threesome to come and help them out if it came to that.)

There's the annoying barkeep, of course. If she's in complete charge of the place as seems to be the case, I suppose there's some chance of her seeking revenge somehow. But I don't think she'd want to burn down her business just to prove a point, and between the Riponian and Malden troops, I doubt that anything less would work.

Would the elves regroup for one last try? I can't really see it, after the last failure. Surely we'll hear from them again before everyone makes it back home, but I doubt that they're in a position to do anything right now.

Great to see another chapter.

Eric

Epic Story

This has been a long journey, full of trials and turmoil along the way. Wow.

Gwendolyn

More

I was pleased and surprised when this was posted. This is a great story, and I wonder what is going to happen in the next 56 chapters. There are soooo many loose ends to clear up that it will take at least that long.

Zip

Continuing?

It has been 6 months since the last posting. When will the story continue?

unfortunately due to RL,

unfortunately due to RL, depression and writers block I haven't written anything in over a year. I know where I want it to go, I just need to figure out how to get it there.

I really do want to finish it. some of my beta readers are telling me that it is boring and slow in places. That I'm trying to turn a simple story into an epic. It is an epic, I'm just foreshadowing what is to come later.

anyway. I really hope that I will be able to write on this soon. I really, really want to finish and share this with everyone

Thanks for reading and commenting

A.A.

Good story.

This is my second time reading this tale, I'm enjoying it as much as I did the first time.

I loved the last line of this chapter, I had a good chuckle over it, perfect reaction for the barkeep's odd behaviour.