Computer Magic

Printer-friendly version

Computer_Magic.jpg


Computer Magic

Unrequited love is something we’ve all had to deal with at some point in our lives. Did you ever wish things could be different? Kelvin did. Can you say “oops!”?


By Karen J. Taylor
Copyright 2007

This story was inspired by John in Wauwatosa’s story “Happy Alternate New Years”. I thought under the circumstances the protagonist was much too forgiving. With John’s blessing I started out to write this alternative take on the situation. Other than the basic premise it doesn’t use much of anything from John’s story, and it is not necessary to read the first story to enjoy this one. John’s story can be found at: http://bigclosetr.us/topshelf/node/2576

Image from Animewallpapers.com

I was sitting at my computer trying out a new photo-editing program when it happened. Sara had given me a new editing program like Photoshop, “...only better,” she said. And it was free. So I figured I’d give it a try. I had a wallpaper I’d found on the web, Suigintou, one of the Rozen Maiden manga series. The only thing I didn’t like about it was her wings, black jagged-feather things. But none of the programs I had could remove them and still leave the picture looking right.

Sara came by about then. “Oh, she’s pretty. New girlfriend?”

“No. It’s a wallpaper I found online. I’m trying to remove the wings, make her look more normal, so to speak. But I can’t seem to get it right.”

“Hang on, I’ve got just the thing.” When she returned she handed me an unmarked CD. “Use this, it’s a lot like Photoshop, only better.”

“Thanks.”

“I’m going to run some errands. Don’t forget about the party.”

I guess I should explain. Sara Goode is my roommate; we’re both seniors in college. We’d been friends for a couple of years, and over the summer decided to get a place together as a means of saving money.

The problem was, I wanted more, and Sara didn’t. We’d had one fairly chaste kiss, then Sara had told me it wasn’t to be. “I like you, Kel, but not like that.” It was making me so uncomfortable I’d finally told her I’d be moving as soon as I could find a smaller place.

I said I wished I could be the one for her, I’d do anything to make it right, but I didn’t know how. She’d just smiled a strange little smile and said she understood.

Oh, I’m Kelvin, Kelvin Andrew Simpson. I was attending the university on a photojournalism scholarship. That and what my parents could afford (I’m the oldest of three) left me just short of living decently. I supplemented my finances with some part-time work, but being able to split rent with Sara had enabled both of us to live in a nicer place.

So, there I was, editing the picture. I removed the wings and the picture cleaned right up. It was like they’d never been there to begin with. Wow, this was a slick program. I decided to make a few more alterations before getting ready for the party. It was Halloween and Sara and I were going to a costume party one of her friends was throwing. I’d found an old double-breasted suit and fedora at the thrift shop. I printed out a card that said PRESS and stuck it in the band of the hat, and used some junk parts to make up a convincing-looking Speed Graphic camera. I looked like I’d just stepped out of the movie “Front Page”.

I used the program to round the image’s chin just a bit, added the right arm which didn’t show before, and changed her eyes to blue, which I felt fit the flaxen-haired beauty’s appearance better. Each change snapped into place and looked totally natural. This program was slick! Finished, I clicked on the drop-down menu to save the changes and then I’d set it as my wallpaper. The menu had an item that said “Implement Changes”, well that sounded like it might be the save function, so I clicked on it. I was suddenly dizzy and everything faded away.

When I woke up I was lying on the floor. It was when I brushed at something on the side of my head I realized I had long hair, long blonde hair. I quickly stood and everything was different. For one thing I now had tits! Small and shapely, but undeniably breasts! And everything looked different. I ran into Sara’s room where there was a full-length mirror and froze. Everything was different!

I hadn’t been a big guy, just your average joe, average height, average weight, brown hair I kept fairly short. I looked like most of the guys you’d see on any college campus. But now! I was short, maybe 5’4” and very slender. Blue eyes and long flaxen blonde hair down my back. I looked like . . . like the wallpaper I’d just saved! I ran back into the other room and stared at the computer monitor. Below the image a box was flashing, “Changes Implemented”. I frantically searched for an Undo command but there wasn’t one anywhere!

I was so intent on looking for a way to undo what had happened, I didn’t hear Sara come in. I didn’t realize she was there until she slipped her arms around me from behind and nuzzled my neck. Startled, I jumped out of the chair and turned to her. But before I could say anything she took me in her arms, tilted my head up and kissed me, a long sensuous kiss that blew out all my overloads.

When we separated, she kept her arms around me and smiled. “I guess you liked that.” At my stunned look she laughed. “Hey, I love the changes, you look even better than the picture. Come on, time to get ready for the party.”

“I . . . I’m, like, changed!”

“Yes you are, and you’re beautiful.” Sara tried to kiss me again and I pushed away.

“What happened? I used the program and I’m, like, different! You gave me that program! You like did this?”

“Yes, Kelli. Don’t you like it?”

“No, change me back!”

“But Kelli, you said you’d do anything for me, and I can love you this way. Come on, we still need to get ready for the party.”

“I can’t go out looking like this! And why do you keep calling me Kelli, my name is Kel . . .Ke . . . Kel . . .” But no matter how I tried, I couldn’t say Kelvin.

“Oh, you are so cute when you screw your face up like that. I called you Kelli because that’s your name. Kelvin doesn’t exist anymore, he never did.” She picked up a purse and pulled out a billfold and handed it to me.

Numbly I opened it and found a drivers license in the name of Kelli Andrea Simpson. There were pictures of Kelli (me!) standing with my parents and younger sister and brother in front of a house much nicer than the one I’d grown up in. I flipped back to the license and saw the address was in the country club area of my hometown. Looking through the rest of the contents I saw several hundred dollars in cash as well as a fistful of credit cards.

I looked back at Sara, who was standing there with a pleased smile on her face.

“Change me back!”

The smile slipped from her face. “But don’t you see, Kelli, this is perfect. I couldn’t love you before, you were a man. But now you’re a woman.”

“You’re, like, a lesbian?” ~~Why was I using “like” so much?~~

“Yes, dear. As nice as you were, I couldn’t ever love a man. But now, you’re my perfect mate. I know you love me, and I love you.”

“I hate you!” I stamped my foot the way a girl would, grabbed the purse and stormed out the door. In the driveway was a car I recognized as Sara’s, and next to it a little blue Mazda Miata. Digging in the purse I found keys that fit it.

I drove aimlessly for awhile, my mind in turmoil. I finally decided to get something to drink and drove to the bar I usually went to.

Grabbing a booth in the back, I plopped down and a moment later the waitress, Marsha, came over and placed a glass of orange juice in front of me.

“Here you go Kelli, the usual, I assume.”

Well, Kelvin’s “usual” was a draw beer, but this would do. I took a sip and choked, it was a vodka screwdriver, and a strong one.

“Oh, sorry, “ Marsha giggled. “I guess Paul put too much vodka in it. Hang on.” She scooped up the drink and went back to the bar.

She returned with my drink a few minutes later, set it down, then sat in the other side of the booth. “You okay? ‘Cause you look upset. Everything alright with you and Sara?”

“Don’t mention her name!”

“Uh-oh, big lover’s spat, huh? I wondered when it would finally happen, you two are always so lovey-dovey, it’s unnatural. You do make a good couple, your beauty and her brains.”

“Are you saying I’m, like, dumb?”

Marsha laughed. “Oh, come on honey, you’re an art appreciation major, for God’s sake! How many other girls do you know that take their checkbook home to their daddy every month so he can balance it?”

Oh, God, she was right! Just thinking about all those big numbers scared me. And I realized my checkbook had big numbers in it, unlike Kelvin’s, which usually teetered on the edge of overdrawn. I didn’t even realize at the time I’d thought of myself as Kelli, and Kelvin as another person.

She reached across the table and patted my hand. “Don’t worry about it hon, I’m sure it will be alright.”

She left me alone then with my thoughts. What had happened to me, what was happening to me? I felt my old life slipping away as Kelli’s memories took over. Scared, I downed my drink in a few gulps. When Marsha looked my way I waved the empty glass at her.

When she brought my drink she asked, “Are you sure you’re okay? You never drink more than one drink.”

“I’m, like, fine, okay? I’m just, like, so-o upset.”

“Are you fine or upset? You can tell me.”

“NO! Just, like, leave me alone, okay?”

“Okay, okay, I was just trying to help.”

I sat and played with the glass for a few minutes, and decided the only place I’d get any answers was back at the house. Throwing a couple of dollars on the table, I headed out.

Sara was waiting when I got back home. “You feel better now? We really need to hurry and get ready for the party.”

“I am so-o not going to any party! I, like, need to talk to you. Why did you do this to me? And why am I, like, so dumb?”

“It was your wish,” Sara countered. “You wished you could be the one for me.” Then she giggled, “As for being ‘dumb’, who was it always making the blonde jokes? Well, now you are.”

“I never wanted to be a girl! You should have asked me!”

“If I had, would you have agreed?”

“No!”

“Well then. Look, you wanted me to love you, and now I do. Accept it.”

“I won’t, change me back!”

“No.”

“Then I am, like, so outta here!”

I ran into my room, grabbed a suitcase (pink!) out of the closet and started packing things. I wasn’t sure what to grab, but I found if I didn’t think about it I seemed to know what was necessary.

Sara was still standing in the living room when I came back through dragging the suitcase and some extra stuff. “Where do you think you are going?”

“Dunno,” I replied. “Somewhere, anywhere, away from here.”

“You can’t!”

“Can too!”

“Where are you going to live? You can’t sleep in your car.”

“I can like get a hotel room, ya know. I seem to have the money, ya know.” I pushed past her and left.

Within a few days I was able to find a small apartment that I could move right into. My new looks enabled me to recruit a couple of strong guys to move my stuff from my old place to the new apartment, and their presence kept Sara from saying anything.

Just a few days after moving the calls started. All hours of the day and night, every time the phone would ring I’d see Sara’s name on the caller ID. I ignored them for awhile, then finally one night I snapped and picked it up.

“Leave me alone!”

“Kelli, we need to talk.”

“No!”

“It’s important.”

“For the last time, no! I hate you! I wish you were dead, I wish I was dead!”

“You don’t understand,” and I could tell she was crying.

“’Course I don’t, I’m a dumb blonde, remember?”

“Please, I need to see you,” she insisted.

“The need isn’t mu. . .mut. . .Oh Shit! I don’ wanna see you ever again!” and I hung up.

When the phone rang again a few minutes later I unplugged it. The next day I got a new unlisted phone number.

I muddled through the next couple of months mostly by letting my body run on autopilot. I found if I didn’t think too hard about things (not that I could, any attempt at serious thought gave me a headache), my new body would do whatever was necessary. Make-up, dressing, I mentally closed my eyes and let go of control.

The Christmas Holiday with my family was strange, to say the least. For one thing, this new, revised family of mine was familiar, yet strange. My family had always used love to make up for the lack of material wealth. Now that we had money I expected that had changed, but it hadn’t.

And it was obvious that I was loved as the slightly simple but lovely oldest child, to be cherished and protected; and to someday be married off to some nice young man. That was my future — the gorgeous wife and mother, a ditzy soccer mom, the butt of all the “dumb blonde” jokes.

Christmas morning the family gathered to open presents, and my mom handed me a small box with a frown on her face. Wondering at her reaction, I opened the box and found a simple gold necklace with a pentagram charm.

“What’s this? I asked, puzzled.

“You should know,” she replied with some heat. “It’s from that ‘girlfriend’ of yours.”

“Sara?” I asked and she nodded.

I flung the box as hard as possible across the room. “Get it away from me! I hate her!”

My family seemed shocked by my reaction, although I could see that it actually pleased my mother.

“What happened, honey?” my father asked me.

“I. . .she. . . .” I realized there was no way I could tell them what had happened, they would have me on a psychiatrist’s couch in no time. “We. . .we broke up. And she’s stalking me!”

“Not my baby girl! I’ll put a stop to this!” my father stormed.

By the time I returned for the spring semester, my father had gotten a restraining order against Sara, and even contacted the school to make sure I wasn’t bothered or harassed. The next six weeks passed in relative peace, and I begin to accept that my life was changed with no hope of restoration.

The end came, ironically enough, on Valentine’s Day. I got home from class to find a package and a dozen red roses leaning against my front door. A quick glance showed me Sara’s distinctive handwriting on the note, so I pulled out my cellphone and called the police.

When the officer arrived I showed him my copy of the restraining order I’d gotten. I could tell he wasn’t happy at dealing with what he perceived as a lesbian love affair gone bad, but he agreed to pay Sara a visit.

“Do you want her arrested for violating the VPO?” he asked.

“No, just make her understand she has to leave me alone. And take those with you,” I said and pointed to the roses and the package.

After the officer left I locked the door and threw the deadbolt, then sat down on the couch and cried. The whole incident brought back feelings I’d just as soon stayed buried, feelings of hatred for what Sara had done to me mixed with a feeling of longing and sorrow that surprised me.

Later that night as I sat watching TV I suddenly felt nauseous, then a pain in my stomach spread rapidly over my entire body. I was barely able to grab the phone and punch 911 when a sudden shock of pain or power surged through my body and I passed out.

When I awoke, it was in a hospital room. A nurse came in response to my summons and checked my vitals, shaking her head as she wrote down the information.

“Your parents are waiting outside, but there are a couple of detectives who need to talk to you first,” the nurse told me.

“Why?”

“You’ll have to ask them,” she replied.

The detectives came in and introduced themselves, then got right to the point.

“Miss Simpson, you know a Sara Goode, is that correct?”

“Yes, why?”

“Have you received anything from her in the last couple of days?”

“Yes, I did. When I saw who it was from I called you, the police that is.”

“Did you by any chance eat anything that was in the package, or drink anything from it?”

“No, I didn’t even open it. I gave it to the officer to take back to her. Why?”

“Well, last night Miss Goode commited suicide?”

“What! How?”

“She took some poison, it must have been fairly painful. She left a note saying she’d messed up her life and hurt you; and she couldn’t go on without you.”

“Poison? You mean, me getting sick. . .?”

“Yes, your symptoms match the normal reaction for that poison. We think it might have been a botched murder-suicide attempt by her.”

A doctor had come in sometime during this, and now he spoke up. “Not likely.”

“Why not, doctor?”

“We got back the results of her lab work, and there is no trace of any poison, or indeed any foreign substance in her body.”

“Then what happened to her?”

“Frankly, I don’t have a clue.”

Lacking any good reason to hold me, I was discharged from the hospital that afternoon. A couple of days later Sara’s obituary appeared in the paper and I made note of the funeral home and sent some flowers, which were refused.

Sara’s family let me know I wasn’t welcome at the funeral, but I went to the cemetery and watched from a distance. After the coffin was lowered into the ground and the people left, I walked over to the gravesite and sat on a nearby bench. I started crying, for the loss, for the pain, for everything that had happened. ~~“Why, God, why?”~~

“We need to talk.”

I looked up in surprise at the dark-haired woman; I had been so absorbed in my grief I hadn’t even heard her approach. The resemblance to Sara was strong.

“You don’ wanna talk to me. You wouldn’t even understand.”

“Yes, I would, Kelvin,” she replied.

“Bu. . .bu. . .” She called me KELVIN!

“Come, we’ll sit in my car.” She held her hand out to me and I took it and followed her over to a massive black limousine. Opening the door was a huge man in a tailored chauffeur’s uniform, but somehow I knew he was more than just a driver.

“That’s right, he is,” the woman answered my unspoken thought as the driver handed us into the rear compartment facing each other.

“How did you . . .?”

“Before I start, please drink this,” as she handed me a small bottle containing an amber liquid. “Don’t worry, it won’t hurt you.”

For some reason I trusted her so I drank the contents down in one gulp. The liquid had a mild, spicy taste. What was amazing was the way my head started to feel. It was like I’d been given a shot of the best pharmaceutical speed; suddenly after months of walking around in a haze my mind was clear and functioning properly again.

“Wow!”

“You could say that,” she responded. “Doing that to you was reprehensible. Sara was punished for it. She was told to make it right, but by then you wouldn’t talk to her.”

“You know?”

“Yes, I know. Sara was a witch. I’m her aunt, Tamara, and the leader of the coven she was a member of. In a way we are responsible for what happened to you.”

“Why? Why did you do this to me?”

“Sara misled us, she told us you wanted this, that you would be happier as a woman and her lesbian lover. She said it was your wish.”

“I made a wish, but nothing like this!”

“Yes, we know. Sara was under a penalty handed down by the coven once we found out what she’d done. She was required to contact you about restoration of your life.”

“Oh, I didn’t know that.”

“No,” she replied, “Right up to the end Sara was trying to have her cake and eat it too. We found her last attempt to contact you, the one you sent back via the police, was still duplicitous. She offered to assist you if you’d take her back. That’s not what she was told to do.”

“I’ve got to know, can you make me a man again?”

“Before I answer that, there’s more you need to know,” she said.

“Like what?”

“The night Sara killed herself, you were stricken as well.”

“Yea, the police thought she might have tried to poison me at the same time, a murder-suicide. But they couldn’t find any poison in my system, and the doctors have no idea what happened to me.”

“I can answer that. Part of the spell cast on you was a bonding spell, tying the two of you together. She always knew what you were feeling.”

“Yet she persisted in pursuing me! How could she if she knew my feelings?”

“She deluded herself, is all I can say. How many men and women do that anyway?”

“Good point. But what was that surge I felt?” My resentment was fading in light of what I was learning.

“That’s what I need to talk to you about. As she was dying, the bond between the two of you enabled her to send her magical abilities to you.”

“You mean I’m a witch now?”

“Yes. A latent one, but very powerful none the less. Call it her last gift to you.”

“What does that mean?”

"If you remain a woman, and choose to submit to the Coven, you can be educated in the use of your abilities. With the proper training you could easily be one of the top two or three in the Coven. In time you could become my successor. The personal rewards would be great.”

“Wait a minute! You said ‘if I remain a woman'. Does that mean this can be reversed, I can be a man again?”

“Yes. If you wish, we can reverse the spell this coming All Hallows Eve. But I want you to think about it. As a woman, you can use your abilities for many things. You actually have more power than Sara, as well as a more ethical outlook. You can be a powerful force for good if you so choose. The Goddess has blessed you with great powers and abilities.”

“And if I change back what happens?”

“We would have to strip you of any ability you have to perform magic. You had a fair share all by yourself, that’s part of what attracted Sara to you. But we can not risk you being male and having the knowledge you have now.”

“So I lose either way. My manhood or my power.”

“It need not be a loss. As a Wiccan, you would be a very formidable woman. If there had been somebody with your ability in the coven, Sara would not have gotten away with what she did.”

“I . . . .”

“Please, don’t decide now. I want you to think about it carefully. You have months before we can do anything about changing you back. Take the time to be sure you know what you really want to do.” She handed me a card, “Feel free to call me at any time if you have any questions. We’ll meet again on All Hallows Eve and you can tell us your decision then.”

I found myself in a daze, getting out of the limousine which had stopped next to my car. I watched the limo disappear down the road before getting into my car and driving slowly home.

When I got home there was a package on the table in my living room. Opening it I found I was now restored to my previous academic position as an honors student. No more Art Appreciation!

As to the rest, I had a lot of thinking to do.

* * * * * * * * * *

Well, it's October 31st - All Hallows Eve.   In a little while I have to give the coven my decision.   I've learned a lot in this last year.   If I go back to being a man, what will my life be like?   What happened to me this last year?   What have I done, what did I do as a man?  

But, if I stay a woman, what of the life that could have been had I not rejected Sara?   Why couldn’t she have been honest with me? If she hadn't tried to manipulate me, made me the "dumb blonde", could I in time  have accepted this new life?   And what about her powers, do I want those?

It's time now, I have to go.

The End

Thanks to Janet Nolan for her copyediting efforts, any mistakes left are my own.

up
105 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Food for thought

Thank you for this wonderful story. Its an interesting question left at the end for Kelli. Was a male spirit left intact from the previous incarnation as Kelvin? Could becoming a wiccan enable Kelli to make right what once went wrong? And if it is Kelvin who emerges what further wrongs will occur from Kelvin being stripped of his abilities thru the coven's action? Really some wonderful writing.

All my hopes,
Sasha

All my hopes
Sasha Zarya Nexus

I like it too

Karen sent me the opening part not long after The Day the Earth Stood Still: or
Happy Alternaive New Years was posted.

She felt that the likelyhood of the happy ending I posted -- mind you the lovers come close to being separated for eternity by a near suicide -- was unlikely and that a tragic or at best a semi tragic ending was far more realistic. Hey, I plead Disney-fication; I saw Bambi at age 4 and it warped my brain.

I liked the idea and encouraged her which promptly put her muse into a coma. I think RL interfered, I doubt I have the power to do that to someone but one never knows. Her muse has come back nicely as of late and this is the result.

As to Kelli having sufficient power to restore what went wrong, I would like to believe it but I think not. The coven could change Kelvin and his past becaus he was alive. Changing her in the past might have saved Sara -- ie Sara is found in time to neutralize the poison -- but then would Kelli have received Sara's powers -- her last bequest -- and thus the means to alter the past? I doubt it unless the link between them was so powerful Kelli's life force could have sustained Sara until assistance arrived.

Then this is magic so who knows? The lession I got was Sara died needlessly but logically given the circumstances. Had she explained to Kelvin, and she made the change voluntary and reversal guranteed, he might have accepted out of his love. But Sara, like so many people, was selfish and perhaps unsure of how strong Kelvin's attraction to her was. A forcibly changed *blondified* Kelli seemed the best compromise in Sara's mistaken reasoning. Make Kelli dependent on her and she'd come around is what Sara assumed. Sara was blinded by her obsession and unwilling to be honest with her. Her desire to have her friend as her perfect lesbian lover made her believe the ends justifed the means.

I may revist my story but as a sequal tied into two other magic transformation stories I'm working on for the How Novel is it part of the still running Strangefellows Day contest here. Karen was right, Tamara and Jules got damned lucky in forcably transmuting Charlie. But in my story love conquered all. In Karen's, love could have trumphed but a fatal flaw in Sara -- her need to be in comtrol -- doomed their love.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

John got it

Her desire to have her friend as her perfect lesbian lover made her believe the ends justifed the means. That's it in a nutshell. I'm all in favor of Disney endings, but some things seem unforgivable to me, at least not without a lot of groveling. And that's something Sara wouldn't do. Up to the very end she was unwilling to admit she was wrong, she killed herself rather than admit it to Kelli.

The only possible alteration to the timeline would be the restoration of Kelli's male life. Sara would still be dead. But if Kelli decided to remain female and allow the Coven to train and guide her, then some good could be salvaged. (No pun intended.)

In a perfect world Kelli would have accepted her change and they would have lived happily ever after. But in a perfect world Sara would not have deceived Kelvin in the first place. Even out of love the end does not justify the means, deceit is still deceit.

But there is no need to revist your story, John. We have different takes on the world, and yours is valid for you, just as mine is valid for me.

Karen J.

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way."

College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Very good

Karen this is good. The graphic was great and the story that followed it very thought provoking. I believe Kelli did a good job dealing with the forced change. She did after all made it very clear this wasn't what she wanted and needed to be returned to her old form. Relationships have been destroyed by far less betrayals than something like this. The only time she was honest at all was when she told Kelvin that their relationship wasn't meant to be even if she failed to say why. Just simply wonderful. There wasn't even a partial Identity death with parts of her past and intelligence being changed.
kudos Karen!!!
Hugs!
grover

Just Saying Well Done...

...seems insufficient somehow. Your stories are always thought provoking as well as entertaining. I am proud to say I'm a fan of your writing, as well as feeling priveleged to be able to call you my friend.

Now, how about letting me in on some of your writing secrets????

Never let it be said that I don't enjoy the occasional delusion of grandeur

Never let it be said that I don't enjoy the occasional delusion of grandeur

Great Story

Karen,
I usually don’t go for the "witch" stories. To much of the 'into the pot of bubbling goo, now I make a girl of you.'
Your story has a great mixture (pun intended) of craft balanced with heart.
Deceit is deceit whether is be done with the greatest intentions or not. That’s why the way to hell is paved with them.

Great story, thank you very much for it

Jamie

Is life really a dream or is the dream reality?

Is life really a dream or is the dream reality?

Nice?

kristina l s's picture

Well... no. But it is believable given the people and personalities. Butting heads against what neither is... exactly. IF... they had talked, honestly...well, who knows. But they didn't...and here we are. Choices for the future... you can never go back really, no matter how much you might want to.
Kristina

Computer magic

A fine story, with a tantalising cliff-hanger at the end. I don't usually go for stories involving magic but this author is in my 'must read' list and I very much admire her writing.

Thank you for a good read.

Susie

This is the kind of story I always ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... say I want, but yet I feel sad for Sara and Kelli/Kelvin; in the words of the Everly Brothers, "So sad to watch good love go bad." (OK, it's debatable whether there ever was "good" love) Too bad Kelli hadn't read Aardie's "The Warrior from BNatuk" and learned a lesson about never forgiving. She might then have at least talked to Sara and perhaps something could have been worked out. Damn, I'm Disneyfied, too!

I, of course, would choose to remain an intellect restored Kelli, but then I wouldn't have objected to the change to a woman in the first place, only to the loss of intellect.

I think Kelli will use the months to All Hallows Eve to contact Harry Potter and ask his help in locating the Deathly Hallow of FtoM Transformation that, as everyone knows, is in the form of a bronze statue of Arnold Schwarzenegger hidden somewhere in the magical realm "Kaliefawnyah" (The form of the MtoF version is in the form of a Playboy bunny - Gloria Steinem, in fact - and located, it is believed, either somewhere beneath the playboy mansion in Chicago or the NOW offices.) Kelvin will use it to transform back into a man but retaining all Kelli's witchly powers. Then he will form The Brotherhood and go after the Sisterhood leading eventually to Tigger's "Change of Direction" universe. :-)

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

Good one L'il Sis,

Angharad's picture

Good one L'il Sis,

I had the benefit of seeing this before posting, family privilege, and I thought it excellent then, sad but excellent. I still think the same.

Well done L'il Sis.

hugs,

A.

Angharad

Nice Touch.

Girl, you have a nice touch and a great imagination. The story just "feels" like a summary to me however. I think you could flesh your work out a little more, but that is just me.

Gwenellen

Very good

I just re-read this. It is very well written and draws the reader in so well that you hope for a happier outcome for the main characters, even though the events that unfold ring true.

I really liked the question posed at the end.

Thanks for posting.

Best wishes,

Alys

I noticed another thing

Either way Kelvin/Kelli loses something of hers.

“And if I change back what happens?”

“We would have to strip you of any ability you have to perform magic. You had a fair share all by yourself, that’s part of what attracted Sara to you. But we can not risk you being male and having the knowledge you have now.”

To put it in other words, it means that the choice is:
1 - restore what was taken away by Sara, take Sara's dying gift away, AND take the original power from Kelvin.
2 - submit to Coven that allowed the entire situation in the first place (thus taking freedom of choice away, in magic tutors), do NOT restore manhood, and receive training from a ready source.

Basically, the choice presented was not to right the wrong, but to
1 - put a hefty price tag on rectifying one's own mistake (instead of paying additional price for harm made), or to
2 - put a hefty but different price tag on admitting a powerful addition to the Coven that suffered a loss in its ranks (instead of giving a bonus prize for choosing the Coven in question)

And let's face it, they need Kelli badly enough if:

“It need not be a loss. As a Wiccan, you would be a very formidable woman. If there had been somebody with your ability in the coven, Sara would not have gotten away with what she did.”

Regardless of all that, it seems that Kelvin/Kelli was not truly repelled by the specifics of the physical transformation, it was circumstances in which it happened. And somehow I think that in fact had the circumstances been different Sara may have been praised by her aunt instead (and probably was, before truth came out). I can see where Sara got her controlling/manipulating streak from. And somehow, if Kelvin/Kelli truly learned from experience, the honors student in question may choose to demand more in his part of bargain.

Hmmm, I wonder, if he decides to go with Option One (lose magic to restore manhood) will his powers be:
---sealed - to stay within him, unaccessible
---denounced - to go into the world and disperse without going to anyone in particular
---surrendered - to be transferred to another member of the Coven?
Because I somehow think there will be an attempt to manipulate it into surrendering his powers.

Faraway

P.S. And if you can't tell I liked the story very much, well I did!

On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Thanks, Faraway

Yes, this was intended as a "no clear winner" situation. In some ways the past can be undone, but in other ways it is immutable. Prices have been paid to reach this point, and will be paid going forward. Some may be more palatable than others, but who is to say? Magic has extracted a price from Kelvin already, and now he/she has to decide what kind of future is desirable or less undesirable.

The Coven is extracting a price, but has also paid a price. So has Sara's family, some of whom are likely not magical users and won't see any benefit, only loss. So how do you make a choice when there are no clear benefits? What scale of values? The "greater good"? Is joining the Coven a "good" thing or a "bad" thing? And is being female a price to be paid, or a reward?

There are no "right" answers here.

Karen J.

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way." College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Computer Magic

Karen, I just re-read it, and still think it is one of the best, if tragic, stories around.

I love this story! The 4

I love this story! The 4 years back button rocks :D

This could have been a forced femme story, a bimbofied guy who is under the control of the all powerful witch. But Kelli wouldn't have any of this.
I can't really feel sorry for Sara, she brought this all about herself. Turning Kelvin into a girl is bad enough in itself, but transforming him into a bimbo is even worse.

No happy end here, but it shouldn't be. It wouldn't have been believable.

Thank you for writing this awesome story,

Beyogi

Thanks, Beyogi

I apologize for the delayed response, sometimes I forget to check!

I prefer a realistic style in my stories, I really don't do fantasy/magic very well. For me this was pushing the envelope. I just do reality-ish stories better, even if I play fast and loose with "reality" at times.

Be sure and read John's story that inspired this!

* * *

There are plenty of people in this world who think they are wits. They are half right.

Karen J.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin