Started with a Prom Dress - 7 - The Princess?

Printer-friendly version


Started With a Prom Dress
7 — The Princess?



By JessieC


There would be three contests along the Jersey Shore to crown a Miss Jersey Shore (Beach) Teen Princess. There were other contests for college women. Many Miss Teen contestants would resurface in 3-4 years, refined, groomed, and competing for various Miss New Jersey contests. It was a hoot to be among such young women, competing with them.

Some in our group were beautiful as can be, I thought myself incapable of competing with them for the crown. I needed to go outside the norm to even compete, instead of more classic piano-accompanied solos, I'd be using remastered prerecorded music to which I would sing.

Contestants were asked to help to promote publicly the contest. Experienced contestants limited their efforts to media-related appearances; my coach encouraged us to work the boardwalk, beaches, and community gatherings and create enough attention to draw media coverage.

=^_^=

Sis and Dr. Deb had us in our bungalow by 3:00 pm. Sunday and we had things unloaded and were changed for the beach by 4:30 p.m. We bought season passes to the beaches and as three teen girls, plus Sis, we made a nice entrance to any beach. There happened to be three groups with guys of various ages around us. I watch Dawn and followed suit as we undid our shorts and shimmed out of them and then slowly pulled off our tops. You could almost tell who was watching which one of us, by the sounds of their breathing or lack thereof.

Dawn and Deb both gave me grief for putting on such a good performance. I was starting with putting on my lotion as I decided which of two guys I would like attention from. I caught one looking at me as I bowed down doing my legs and feet. I said, “Caught yah,” as his eyes widened. “Would you mind as punishment to put lotion on my back?”

He was frozen in place, so I casually walked over handed him my lotion and turned around, and knelt in front of him. It wasn’t long and he was putting lotion on his hands and rubbing it on my back. He first did my neck and shoulders and then below my top. He nicely scooted my straps to get under them with lotion; I was now waiting to see how he handled it near my bottom. "I am not inviting you to get fresh but I wouldn’t mind you get just a bit under the panty line a little to protect me if the swimsuit shifts.”

I asked, "How is the water today; is there any undertow?" He shared, it’s a little cool getting in you're better to jump or dive to get in than go slowly. I hold out my hand, “Would your girlfriend mind if I borrowed you for a while” I asked?

“I have a girlfriend but we are not going steady,” he replied.

“No, I just thought it is late enough that whoever I see, I might not see them tomorrow and you look like a nice guy to know. I haven’t been to this beach, but I know some have an undertow or if there’s a point where the footing drops off fast. How have you found it?”

“Well I am a pretty good swimmer but yes there is an undertow a little further out. But it is not usually very wide if you swim 25 feet in either direction you can swim fairly easily. I could go out with you if you would like.”

“I wouldn’t want to impose on you, but I would be happy if you did. My name is Danica, what’s yours?”

“Danica, that’s a pretty name, mine is simply Nate.” With that, we made our way through a maze of people and blankets to get to the water. “Are you game for running in and diving into a wave before it breaks?" I guess it wasn’t a question as he grabbed my hand, pulling me to follow. I glimpsed up and saw the wave he was thinking of.

I was a few feet over and about a step behind him as we respectively dove into the wave before it broke. When I came up it was different to have long wet hair. I tried to get the hair out of my eyes, as another wave broke over me. Now gasping for air, Nate grabbed me around the waist and I put an arm on his shoulders.

I got my composure and started to swim on my own. Sorry, I was out of his arm I splashed him in the face and started to swim away. If he was a good swimmer he should have no trouble catching me. His first lunge to catch me, found his hand going over my butt and catching on the bottom of my two-piece suit. He quickly let go but I stopped and when he caught me, we laughed.

Nate said, “I am sorry.”

“Sorry that you hit me on the butt, or that you let go of my bottom?” We both laughed as he said, “Both”.

Nate and I had a good time as we were swimming in the deep water for over an hour before Dawn came out and called me back into shore. Dawn explained to him we were in the Miss Teen Contest later in the week and we needed to go up on the boardwalk for a little while.

As Nate asked, "Would you like to get a little publicity for the contest", he was calling someone on his cell. "My mom’s a reporter for the area paper and she will meet us on the boardwalk in five minutes." With that Nate yelled to the guys around us, they were all invited up to the boardwalk for a photo with these two Miss Jersey Shore Princess candidates.

Nate’s Mom had called a few spots about photos and by the time we all gathered there were some 30 guys and the two of us. Mrs. Riggs called in one of the Ocean County contestants to add extra local interest. It was Dawn who announced we would be in “The Miss Jersey Shore Teen Princess Contest.

Mrs. Riggs took many photos saying she would send some out to our various counties and their newspapers covering our areas. Several people including Mrs. Riggs noticed I was the girlfriend photographed at the state baseball tournament. So Nate got the joy of lifting me and twirling me as we hugged and faked a kiss. It was fake until after the picture was taken.

“I hate this Nate, meeting you and hitting it off at the beginning of the week; there is no way I can be a one-boy girl this week.” He hugged me stating he understood and for the girl he was dating, he hoped it would just make her a little jealous, not angry.

I asked Miss Riggs if she knew some places we could go during the coming week like daycares, hospitals, and places people gathered a lot. “I am sorry but our paper cannot be seen as helping you get publicity.”

“We’re not asking for you to be following us around; we are interested in meeting the public and showing our caring side. Having made the front page of the second section did not seem like a big thing. Between the guys who huddled around the three of us and my picture with Nate mimicking the baseball photo we quickly were becoming known. Monday's a free day to relax and enjoy ourselves, Sis has us visiting the daycare and area hospital on Tuesday.

We read stories at the Daycare and were asked to share our talent. Dawn was able to play the piano and sing, but I stated I used a CD to accompany me and had not brought one with me. A speech therapist put me on the spot as I had CDs and a karaoke machine. She played and I sang to the song “Makes Me Feel Like a Woman”.

Before we left we were called to the Pediatric Section of the area hospital and some seven boys and girls wanted to meet and hear us. Dawn plays one jazzy piece on a keyboard and then played and sang another song. The kids didn’t know the song “He Ain’t Heavy, He’s My Brother” but they got into it as I hammed it up with some of the patients. Dawn and I teamed up for “I’m a Believer” from the Shrek movie. I was holding a four-year-old boy who was so happy he lost control and wet his pants and my outfit as he was sitting on my lap at the time.

It's a little embarrassing but well worth it as the staff shared he had not smiled in two days and sorely needed the BM. They stated he would probably regain his health but he was going through some painful procedures. I was given a scrub uniform used by surgical nurses and a new pair of panties to wear as I left the hospital.

We had been given sets of tickets to give away wherever we promoted the contest. Since we were not told not to, we have two sets of tickets for each place we visited.

Wednesday we visited a community at the south edge of the county visiting four places, two in the morning and two in the afternoon. But the evening was ours and there’s nothing like a good boardwalk in Jersey at night. The many lights, colors, and various activities in some ways are nothing special, but it brings joy to everyone: boys and girls, teens in groups or on a date, adults and older folks.

I like walking on the beach at the edge of the water. Nate caught up with me again tonight and we walked to the beach and away from the lights Nathan gave me a warm kiss and I felt him getting excited. I wished I could have done more but tonight was neither the time nor the place.

We ended up at a Karaoke nightspot and Dawn and I both had to wear wristbands showing we were under drinking age. We had been there for two hours sipping cokes and listening to others sing with varying degrees of success. I drew Carol King’s song “I Feel the Earth Move”; I am not sure of its exact title.

The song was proceeding quite well and almost done when I noticed a guy put something into Dawn’s and my drinks. I am enough of a Jersey kid girl or guy; I quickly reacted and charged the little S.O.B. I surprised him as I tripped him up and Nate helped me to hold him on the floor. I asked for no one to touch our drinks.

The guy trying to save his little butt; said I had been drinking and coming onto him during the night. His allegation, as well as the charge against him, made the police log of the county paper. I quickly heard from contest officials that I was where I shouldn’t have been and my position as a contestant was now being reviewed.

That hit the noon news as it wasn’t until my blood alcohol test showed not even a trace of alcohol. But our drinks did have the contents of a date rape drug in them as well as his fingerprints on the containers.

Presently it meant my suspension was not immediate but still under consideration. Witnesses from Willie’s Spot and people from various places we visited or met stepped up and I was soon exonerated. But I was not out of hot water for long.

The Ocean County contest did not require proof or demand its contestants to be women, and another contestant had made it known she was transgendered in the process of transitioning. Like a lightning rod, I was one of the first contestants who was asked their opinion on the revelation. I stated, “As I read the rules Samantha qualifies as she presents herself as a young woman and properly applied and was accepted into the contest.”

I asked if I would be willing to undergo testing to prove I was a woman, as some other contestants suggested they would. I quickly replied, “No, this is the 21st century, we don’t make up the rules after the fact to suit a few people. If the judges find a transgendered woman worthy of being crowned Miss Teen, it’s all to her credit.”

We, the contestants present Thursday morning, were brought into a briefing about the situation. However, it turned into a bit of a political backroom meeting.

I tried to stay quiet, but unsure of how things were proceeding I stood up and asked, “Since I am not endowed with great breasts, can I challenge those who have used cosmetic or surgical enhancements to be disqualified? There are some rules and prior rulings in this contest’s history that forbid some practices that are not presently tested for.’

‘If you are going to change the rules to cast out one or more contestants, then I will demand that present rules be tested for using currently accepted medical testing and medical evaluations.”

Dawn had asked around a bit and we knew at least seven other contestants would stand with us. Dawn suggested, “Since the Contest Board has not made a ruling, it is my suggestion that it be treated as not an issue and proceed as that largest teen contest on the shore. It will be us the contestants and contest leaders who accept or reject a stigma attached to our contest.”

Sandra spoke up and said, “If we do not stand together and move forward, we will lose on either decision. The person chosen as the Teen Princess may wish she hadn’t.”

The meeting was quickly becoming unified, not that we all thought the same, but agreed our contest this year would do well to live within the current rules and practices. Several contestants would not want to come under the enforcement of current rules and policies.

A well-known female singer in New Jersey, as well as Buckinghams, had volunteered to sing or perform at either night’s show. Their presence alone would add the interest of thousands alone and bring in added revenue. Come close of the meeting, we were presented with sashes that could be used while we were in public.

Janice, Dawn, and my consultant were now present and wanted us to come and try our clothes, practice-changing outfits, make-up, and hairstyles. Dawn saw it as a hassle as most of it came naturally to her as a girl and has been in various shows and performances in high school. But even she agreed practice would give us an advantage.

I found it like playing a princess in my dreams. I love the gowns and how they made me feel and look. I liked the swimsuits but was not at all comfortable about wearing them on display to thousands of others. Janice presented me with a new gaff that was so realistic and as comfortable as it could be.

Come Thursday night we were to stay in and get rested. Dawn and I got into a discussion and shared feelings as things were catching up to us. Both of us were getting hot earlier in the day as we were changing outfits and both of us were doing a little of this and that checking our shoes, practicing contest routines, organizing our make-up with outfits, practicing singing, and changing hairdos. Janice was being a fuss-budget as tomorrow and Saturday there were so many things we needed to do on our own or with minimal assistance.

A contestant could use wigs, fancy hairstyles, and vast changes in makeup and clothing, and while she could be helped at the start of the day or after a major break, once completion is going she needs to be able to be more than pretty. She has to work and take care of herself, handling wardrobe malfunctions, and quick changes and keeping her composure.

As we visited we were both getting hot again and Dawn reminded me of when I first began to stay at her house and sleep in her room. “Danica there has been something I have had a growing desire to do.” She paused and thought I wasn’t sure where she was going. I took her hands and gently kissed them. “I want to make love to you, woman to woman. I am not sure what that means or what to do, but I want you tonight.” Wow! Where did that come from?

With that Dawn helped me to take off the remainder of my clothes as I did the same with her. I unhooked her bra my hands slid around to her breasts. They were already warm and excited, but we were both responding to the touches and kisses of others.

I wanted to take off my gaff and shower, Dawn, however, stopped me saying, “It is you Danica that I love and want to make out with.” She guided me over to her bed and asked me to lie down. It was a very intimate time with many words of endearment spoken as well as body sighs. Dawn gently touched the insides of my legs and caressed my nipples with her lips and tongue.

I had originally sought to find her sweet spot but went to lightly move my fingers over the inside of her legs and the edge of her nearby lips. “Thanks for taking your time, Oouu… that feels so nice.” It would be close to a half-hour before we brought each other to an orgasm. I was learning the difference between having sex and being intimate.

We each experienced orgasms when we were intimate but not as a guy and a gal. It was unlike previous experiences as a few fireworks were set off where the whole program. Tonight we shared intense emotion-filled times with orgasms, but it was the tenderness and each seeking to please the other that made it special. Dawn picked on my earlobes and neck while fondling my legs and breasts to slowly bring on my first orgasm. She was inside my legs treating me like the girl I am helping me to hold the orgasm as long as possible. I do not remember falling asleep as I fell asleep still lying next to Dawn.

It was seven and our alarm was sounding off as Debbie came to see why we weren’t up and turned it off. We were still together as she knocked and looked in. She smirked, came to turn off the alarm, and joked, “Well I hope you two have not used all your energy on sex. You have two big days ahead of you. I suggest you take your showers separately.”

Sis had made a nice breakfast of eggs for protein, toast, fruit, and yogurt. “Janice suggested you wear just enough makeup to make yourselves presentable as you make your way to Maurice’s Winnebago. It’s just behind the auditorium of the contest. It had two extensions one in the rear which was now a dressing/make-up room. The usual queen-size bed had been removed for just these purposes.

Janice had our schedule and as expected each contestant was to wear a simple but elegant gown and be introduced and interviewed by the three regular judges. Then we would be practicing the various productions that the contestants did together during the contest. Late that afternoon we would have a second rehearsal and be ready at 6 pm. when the program would begin and go until 11 pm. the first night.

The Pageant would officially begin at 6:30 with the procession of the contestants in evening gowns processing down the runway, and each came back and visited with the Master of Ceremonies (MC) then took her spot until all had come through.

Luckily I was to be the 12th contestant to process out of the 23 participants; it gave me a chance to watch those in front of me. I would take a cue from the walk of one, the turn of another, and judge how to wave and make eye contact from those before me.

Within the first three, I had the walk, but they tried doing too much in the turn for my taste Bonnie was fifth and I liked her simple yet very nice turn. Dawn’s style of making contact and waving to the audience as contestant #10 completed my approach to the procession.

Even with air conditioning wearing a formal gown under the lights was very warm, especially as excited as each of us girls was. My gown was silver and pink satin with one shoulder strap. The skirt was slender with the side slit helped by three buttons left undone. A few male voices were encouraging me and I was flattered that they had come to the contest. Carl Giammarese, of the Buckinghams, was acting MC and greeted me warmly at the end of my walk.

Carl, “Danica, like all of the contestants you are a beautiful young woman, but you already have a reputation for living outside of what might be anticipated. You are more likely to speak up for others than yourself, and on your first walk already you seem to have a fan base with the general public. How well do you hope to fair in such a traditional beauty contest?”

“I am not an extraordinary beauty, but hopefully with beauty, wisdom, and talent that speaks well of a teenage girl in 2012. I would like a young girl of 8, 10, or 12 to be able to see in Miss Shore Teen of New Jersey to see someone they can realistically aspire to be,” I said.

The talk went a little longer, and I was very happy with how I had done. Janice was happy that we had brought the extra gown as she thought we opened the door a little bit more to a non-traditional beauty queen. I felt that it would be a great advantage to Dawn as she has a beautiful blend of the two.

We sang as we finished the segment with a musical number utilizing our voices, movement, and charm as individuals and as a group. I was hitting it off with all the other contestants save one. I wasn’t sure why Sonya skipped the contest in Atlantic City, where she was from, but I hoped her airs of superiority were as transparent to the judges and the public as they were backstage to other contestants including me. She's a real beauty and is an experienced competitor.

Next was the first of the two times modeling swimsuits. During the contest save for stated breaks, we shared two large rooms for contestants to change between segments. Samantha was on one side of me and Sherry from Mercer County, a friend of Dr. Deb’s mother was on the other. Samantha had in many ways the appearance of a natural and traditional woman, but there was a stigma being placed on her that I was asked to speak to.

“If you are asking for flaws in her you have come to the wrong place, I just don’t see or sense anything. She is as cordial and sweet as the other contestants I have encountered so far. My biggest worry is I hope I appear as beautiful and graceful as I walk around in a swimsuit and 4” heels.”

It was nice as we paraded ourselves out as a group and then down the runway as individuals as Carl sang a medley of hits by The Buckinghams, a group with whom he continues to sing. It was interesting as at least five other contestants had a walk that was in sync with the song being sung at the time. Would that be seen as a plus or negative by the judges? I for one expected it to be a slight plus to a musician/singer like Carl.

Walking out on the walkway was both frightening and such a rush; my breasts swelled and my nipples hardened. The aroused breasts of several contestants were quite visible as several were not only full but a bit too full, likely not to be that of a 15, 16, or 17 years old. Last for the evening would be the first talent portion of the contest.

I was quite nervous as I would be the seventh to perform, where a piano accompanist, was provided, and the orchestra did play for one woman with a more operatic voice, it was deemed inappropriate to ask the orchestra to play a rock n roll song to accompany me. Prerecorded music was also permitted for two twirlers, but there was no ruling on my use of such music. Its evaluation would be gathered from the judges’ scoring of my talent.

There were two special performances by special guests and one choreographed presentation by the contestants before the final ten contestants were to be selected and announced. The special singers were not only appreciated but called back for an extra number. Maybe it was prophetic as the judges had scored four contestants equal for the last two qualifiers of the Final Ten.

Carl announced that the final group for tomorrow’s competition would be 12, not ten contestants, was popular with the crowd but hard on those not selected. I suspected I was one of those on the bubble and others said I was now even more likely to continue with 12 being selected. While I did not expect to make it to the final 5, I was now hoping and praying to be one of those selected to continue.

It was 11:15 when we left the auditorium, with the contest make-up off; I changed into a simple sundress and sandals. Serena, Bonnie, Dawn, and I went walking on the boardwalk and then down along the beach. We had our public sashes identifying us as contestants.

A group of Nate’s friends found us and we were comfortable walking with them, knowing we wouldn’t be pawed or embarrassed. Children and parents would stop us from time to time. In several places, people took our pictures as we shot hoops, played skeet board, threw darts at balloons, or softballs at bottles. Serena and Dawn were athletic and had a bit more success. The guys were more than willing to show us how to do what.

By 11:30 it was mostly young couples, small groups of gals and guys, and a few lonely souls. We paired up and visited a lonely guy here and there. Meeting Tony moved me as I thought he easily could be me. He was handsome in a plain way, Serena warmed up to him as well and his face was glowing. Tony said, “I often dreamed to meet and talk to a girl with ‘princess-like beauty, now I meet two and I don’t know what to say?"

“I kind of know the feeling neither see ourselves as ‘princesses’, but now I see ‘Prince Charming’ appears to be kind of ordinary and doesn’t know who he is either.” Tony smiled as I asked him if he had a cell phone. He got it out and I clicked on the camera feature. Dawn took a few pictures of Serena and me kissing him from each side.

Then Dawn suggested I sit on his lap and put an arm around his neck. It not only made for a good picture but took enough time for Tony to become aroused. I shouldn’t have mentioned it, but I did, “I see you like me too.” He tried to apologize but I cut him off, “You’re not a dirty old man, just a healthy teenage boy. Your body probably knows I warmed up to you as well.” I gave him two complimentary tickets to tomorrow’s contest as we excused ourselves and made our way back to the bungalow.

=^_^=

We woke up early jumped into our swimsuits and ran to the beach for an early dip in the ocean. It was funny as Debbie came out with us and it was Debbie who drew the most attention, and rightfully so. Dawn and I agreed, where we were cute to very pretty teens, Sis was a beautiful woman. Seeing her in the ocean was very unlike her appearance at the clinic or hospital.

Serena had on a small two-piece suit that made her look extra hot after her short swim in the ocean. Beach security was watching us and seemed to be disappointed when we put on wraps as we headed to the boardwalk.

A guy named Scott complimented Debbie, “Your sister is a lot like you. I expect her to easily make the final ten.”

“Sorry pal, I like the compliment but she’s my adopted sister.”

“Scott knows that; it goes deeper than looks,” said a woman who walked up next to him.

“I am sorry, but I thought he was trying to hit on me.”

“I wouldn’t blame him but my brother came to see what Janice is up to, and then he recognized Danica’s last name and your first name. Scott said you turned down the Medical Center in NYC to stay and practice where you could be closer to your sister.”

Scott said, “Janice, the girls’ manager, is using a number of our gowns, two with your sister. I know she would like to get Maurice’s competitive in another market and so would we. My sister and parents are in the family business, I just do part of their business work. I also serve as the family rep on the Medical Center’s Board. Dr. Canfield spoke so highly of his desire for the Hospital to get you and you are not even in his specialty.”

“Between Janice and this sister of yours, Marissa and I decided to take time to be here. We thought the first gown and the dress she used in singing worked nicely. Danica represents our interests well.”

Debbie “So how is it that she’s like me?”

Marissa spoke up, “She’s picked up your character, and she’s naturally very attractive and made a very good showing as a singer. She’s a neat person in her own right, but her friend Dawn, says she has new chemistry with you and is growing as a woman.”

“I am sure she is growing as a woman, and I am pleased if I deserve any credit, but she has done it. Please excuse me, I must be going.”

“Just one more thought; my brother wasn’t seeking to hit on you, but if he would ask you to go out, I could understand that.”

Debbie shook her head and proceeded to come back to the bungalow, as the last of us were finishing our showers. Sis walked up to me, hugged me, and said “I love and am proud of you,” all in one motion. I found myself breaking into tears and holding onto her. I was not sure why I was crying or what I was feeling, but they were tears of joy.

Serena spoke up, “I wish my sister cared about me like that?” Bonnie said, “My sister and brothers are good but we never say or show it unless something bad has happened.”

The next thing we know is Denise and her boyfriend are at the door, but no one is exactly ready to answer the door. Dawn scoots on a pair of panties under her towel-wrapped body and tells Denise, they can’t come in but need to stay on the porch or go for a walk on the beach.

Denise turned to Jason asking him to take a walk as she needed to help us to get ready. We were all glad Denise stayed around to help.

“You know, I went on the web last night and several sites are surprised by the interest and hits, you gals are getting. You guys are now tabbed as the “Hot Five”. They’re not sure how Danica’s music went over with the judges but one site had 414 likes to 43 dislikes and 12 undecideds.

One reporter said “This Jersey Shore contest may be taking the beauty pageant into the 21st century… When red-blooded American guys come in from the street… they must be doing something right… Let’s hope the judges are listening and don’t kick it back to the 1900s.”

Like the day before we wore basics with light make-up to the Maurice vehicle and Janice gave us instructions, as our clothes were set out in the order we would be using them. First was a reception with the Contest’s Board of Directors and sponsors. It was not until we were  ¾ through that I realized the judges, as well as Carl, were milling around but never really into the conversations.

2:30 the reception ended and we all converged on the Maurice vehicle demanding why we weren’t told it was part of the competition. Janice was as bold as we were in stating, “I told you the contest begins at 1:00 pm. I intentionally did not repeat it hoping you would be yourselves.”

This was just like when you were on the beach informally meeting the public here and there. The judges were looking to see how you responded when the lights and cameras were not on. You presented yourselves well. Relax and go out onto the boardwalk and mingle with the public again.

=^_^=


Tonight’s program was set to being at six and we already came at 5:45 the program did not formally begin until 6:20 as they wanted the judges seated and ready when we began. I started with my third formal gown, a shimmering blue gown with a silk scarf hung around my neck. Walking down the runway, I pulled the scarf off as I reached the end and as I turned I wrapped it around my waist and changed the look. I was pleased as it went smoothly and was different even from the other four in our group.

The selection of the final 12 was made and the group of us except Bonnie cut the final dozen. I was nervous as I was the eleventh to be named. The program went into a group production featuring the eleven who did not make the cut. I thought they did great at one of the toughest parts of the evening.

Janice tried to console Bonnie saying, “They eliminated the only veteran of the ‘Hot Five’.” … “There is nothing we can do about it, but it does serve to notice each of you needs to do her very best at each segment of the contest and give as much attention to the crowd as you do the judges if not more.”

I kept on my gown as each contestant needed to answer three questions on various subjects. My questions were: “1) Name three women who were inspirational in your life; 2) What do you see as the role of faith and religion in the world today, and 3) the importance of adoption in life today?”

“When I was a little girl and I saw the first U.S. Women’s Soccer team that won the gold medal, I thought women could teach men some things about playing as a team. I celebrated the woman who won the winning goal, and how the goalkeeper handled the whole Olympic competition, but I celebrated the individuals playing as a team. “

“My Sister, Debbie, who is not only a neat sister and very important to me, but she is a women’s surgeon. Over time I think she will prove to be an inspiration to others. I have already gone to the hospital twice when she was called in. Her boss, Dr. Myrt called her in for an emergency, and I thought she would assist Dr. Myrt. But Dr. Myrt had my sister do it because she said “Dr. Deb was the better of the two in surgery. She is not only a very good surgeon but she is very good with her patients.”

“Close trusted friends; I am blessed with two Dawn Miller, who's in the contest, and Denise Robbins. I wish everyone could have some close trusted friends. They encourage me to try something like this, They’re there for me when things get rough. They have helped me to mature as a healthy 16 years old trying to become a woman.”

“Second, I am like many teenagers, most of us have faith but have trouble putting it into words. I believe faith should be something that is kind of visible in the way one lives their life. I wish we could go back to the 60s & 70s when I hear many of the religions were working together against poverty, and civil rights and kind of opened their doors to each other. Today religion is seen too often like our politics partisan to their way of doing things.”

“It would be great if faith could compel us to share our differences as gifts we bring a sense that unity is bigger than our differences in the world.”

“I like the question about the importance of adoption; too many times it is seen with a stigma. Good adoptive people are often busy, but their hearts are bigger and they work hard to work with you. It is nice to have someone who chooses to love you. There are many reasons why an adoption might be needed.”

=^_^=


“I hope I didn’t say too much or go too long; though I could have talked a lot longer.” There was applause as I walked back to my spot. Next was the second swimsuit. Little did I know, Debbie agreed to a change of my blue swimsuit, with an oval cut-out on each side. Dawn giggled saying, “You have come, a long way girl!”

We looked at each other and gave suggestions to one another about make-up or hair. Having given ourselves a second check we agreed the changes were good. Janice had us move up to 4” heels, which is enough to challenge a girl to look like a lady and not something less. We were a little more relaxed and comfortable as each of us walked the catwalk.

I was clear at the outer end of the walk as I spotted Debbie and her/my family and then just behind her, my Mom/Aunt, my sister Michele and Ms. Johnson. I remembered a remark by Debbie, “Whether you are surprised or shocked stay cool until that segment is done.” (Now, came to mind?) I twirled around an extra time, and the remainder of the walk was like a flashback of pictures from the first time I was trying on a prom dress and the metamorphosis to being Danica now.

Luckily being in the final 12 made the segment manageable. I no sooner walked behind the curtain and the tears broke like a floodgate as I ran to the dressing area. I was hyperventilating when Janice and Dawn caught up to me. “It’s a good cry, and you handled yourself well,” said Dawn. “Catch your breath,” Janice massaged me, “relax and channel your joy to what’s coming up.”

Next came the talent segment and then the selection of the five finalists, a place I had not dared hope for until now. Presently there was special entertainment and a fifteen-minute break.

I wanted to change to my last gown and be through, but Janice overruled me. “I want you in a sundress or the sequined short dress and ready to go out rocking. And I don’t mean out of the contest. I want you to rock yourself out of the final twelve and into the finals. Do you hear me? Do you hear me, young lady?” She paused wanting an answer.

Dawn and I had already agreed that if the spirit was right we would do a bit more for an encore during our talent segment. We had also visited with another contestant who had done twirling as her talent the night before and was tempted to do gymnastics today but worried that it would not be acceptable. Dawn approached her about daring to try. Each of us felt it was a possible ticket into the final five.

Deanna was the third person in the talent segment and she had decided to go with a floor routine with vaulting a flip over a horse apparatus and then finish with a cute tumble with a “beach” volleyball in her hands. She succeeded and had effectively raised the bar in the competition if the judges were open to the non-traditional route.

I was fifth and had just enough time to collect my composure in response to Deanna's program. I had taken one of Carole King’s up-tempo songs and added my own playing a rhythm guitar. My encore performance would be to repeat four notes on the guitar three times as I asked the audience to join in repeating the main verse and chorus.

My short shiny silvery dress was a big step for me but it went better with my red, silver, and pink guitar. I came in well with the pre-recorded music and my voice and volume seemed to vibrate well with the audience. I did well with King’s song, but noticeably was not mimicking her. The song ended well as the audience was revved up as I began repeating the four notes and onto the encore.

The general audience at the back started singing and it was working forward as the crowd came to its feet. Some sang and most joined in giving needed rhythm.

MC Carl G and the orchestra stayed neutral but were moved by the progressive mood of this contest. Dawn was the tenth contestant and she too did a very good performance and brought in the crowd. Four other contestants tried to adjust to the pressure to do more but most likely hurt their position.

Special entertainment took over as the twelve of us changed into our evening gowns. I changed into my third evening gown, easily as beautiful as the other two. That was as Janice had planned as she wanted me not to appear to be backing down, but ready and expecting to move on.

While I wanted to be in the final five, I was not expecting it to happen. As the gown came down over my head I knew it was special and more than what I had agreed to. “Janice, what did you do this is extravagant; it fits and feels like a million.”

“Now let yourself glow and enjoy come what may.” Janice had gathered the five of us, asking Bonnie to help us get ready. Bonnie helped with my makeup and I did my hair.

When Debbie came back to our dressing area and gave me a bracelet, necklace, and earring set. It had been something we had looked at. It was my dream in time to get it. “Little Sis, this is my gift to you as it is time for dreams to come true.”

“But I have not won anything, why now?”

“You are experiencing being a young woman at an accelerated pace. This is not about something you won or might win; it is my celebrating the journey with you. I do not want this gift to be part of a pity party or a sign of something you won. I don’t want you to wear the full set until after you are in the final five.

Janice said, “Enough, for now, Deb back to your seat, and Danica this is your night. You and Dawn are redefining ‘Princess’ for 2012.”

Using the earrings and bracelet I was walking out with the others, each taking a walk down the walkway. I could see Mom, Michele, and Steph without tears, glad they saw the girl that had been hidden for so long.

Dawn, Sherry, and I were standing next to each other and holding hands. When Deanna was called as the first finalist, we felt a little more excited. Dawn and Sherry were called, and next, the early favorite and home county girl Monica was called. Eight of us remained and only one of us would be chosen.

“Miss Danica Walters rounds out the five finalists as they have been chosen.” The other seven walked to their spots with the other contestants not selected. They went to a special dance and song number as we went to the back.

Each of us would go for a walk and then have one thought to respond to. Tonight’s gown, one question, one more walk down the walkway with poise under pressure. It might not be hard-hitting, the career-deciding play of the Super Bowl. But then again the beautiful women here aren’t relegated to the sidelines.

I change to 4” heels again and added the necklace and felt like a Princess already. With joy, I walked down the walkway, not only waving my hand and smiling but I was visiting with and reacting to the crowd. The crowd responded in appreciation, but not in a casually quiet mode as at many contests.

“Danica, people connected with this pageant this year better than in recent times. They would like you to either defend your position more strongly or give proof you and other contestants prove they are women if you were to be crowned Miss Teen New Jersey Shore tonight?”

“I will stand by my position as stated earlier and be selected into the final five as my proof of being worthy. I am blessed by family and friends supporting me to be the best person I can be. I thank everyone for the opportunity to compete this week and be part of the New Jersey Shore community and this contest. I would be proud to represent you.”

“Respectfully you have run a progressive contest that has drawn the enthusiastic attention and approval of many those who select this year’s Princess should know that is what I stand for and want to be part of.”

The five of us completed our walks and responded to our questions and now were standing to the side as Carol King herself, sang Tapestry and they showed scenes from the contest preparations to the present. Last year’s Princess was presented once again and made her final walk as the reigning Miss Jersey Shore Teen Princess.

Monica and Dawn were named fourth and third runner-up respectively. It was stated that second and first runner-ups were a virtual tie but Sherry was named 2nd runner-up. I could not believe that I was down to the final two. Deanna and I hugged and then held hands. I was very excited but was so sure she was going to be named the Princess that I couldn’t believe it when they announced her as the First Runner-Up.

The other contestants swarmed around me congratulating me as best they could as the new reigning Princess. Someone helped place the sash over my shoulder and around my neck and then the reigning Princess placed the crown on my head and pinned it in place. Dawn somehow took the bouquet of roses and presented them to me and I saw her through a veil of joyous tears.

I walked down the walkway acknowledging the crowd but on my way back took time to greet my family and receive their congratulations. In some ways seeing my Mom, Michele, and Steph made it a bittersweet moment, but that made it much more meaningful

Carl G formally greeted me as I came back, asked about my first impressions, and concluded the show. What was asked or said I do not remember, but I went to the back tired, exhausted, and thinking I was done for the evening. Janice led me to a chair and informed me the night was young. Now, at 11:00 pm. it would be 2 (AM) before I would retire for the evening.

She refreshed my make-up, fixed a hairstyle to go with the crown, and had me up to meet the press and go to the Princess’ Ball and Reception. A special joy was when I found a nine-year-old boy seemingly lost in the crowd. I took his hand and drew him to me.

Someone asked him why he was crying, “I was told I can’t be a princess.”

“Princess Danica, how would you comfort this young boy?”

“Everett, I am very proud that you would hold me as a role model. I think it speaks well for your breadth of character to be here tonight. I believe you have the character and inner beauty to become your special self.”

I know I danced with many people and enjoyed the best wishes and compliments of others before it was all over.

=^_^=


Back at the bungalow Debbie and Dawn helped me to undress and get ready for bed. I was too tired to do anything but was told later I pulled Dawn in with me. I fell asleep holding her. Five hours later I woke up the same way.

I brushed back my hair, put on an ordinary swimsuit, grabbed a beach towel, and made my way to the beach shortly after 7:00 am. Sis was with me as were Dawn, Denise, Sherry, Joani, and Bonnie and we had a refreshing swim in the ocean. Several photographers were delighted to get photos of me away from the formality of the Miss Teen Contest or official appearances in the future.

Debbie took me and said she needed to be getting to our house, and I would need to stay with Aunt Myrt.

To Be Continued

“Dawn what do I do now?… I suggest you get on with being a girl!”

“Danica Lea, I baptize you…”Moments later I was taken into surgery as I was bleeding inside and my life was threatened with an infection and uncertain problems.

Dr. Pamela White “Your body, mind, and spirit need you to be patient as you come to terms with being a young woman.”

Please take time to share comments, write to the author and respond as you deem helpful, it is very much appreciated.

up
145 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

In the midst of pageantry...

Andrea Lena's picture

...to read at the end about being baptized as Danica? Some traditions either consider it a christening or both when performed on infants. Getting the right name, aye? "Morning Star," which fits because she's lighting up her world, yes? Thank you, Jessica

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

What is beauty?

I am really glad that Danica was able to redefine this beauty contest in such a way that the inner beauty and strength/integrity of character became the defining characters, instead of just the external and temporary beauty and politically correct drivel normaly seen in beauty contest.

Jessica

Hoping it would be seen in that light

Thanks Jessica N

I was hoping readers would see what you did. I think the women around Danica have helped her to see the transformation in a deeper light than she would have on her own. It would me better if those born female could be better sisters to TG women.

Thanks with hugs,
JessieC

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Danica did is she is now the

Renee_Heart2's picture

Miss Teen New Jersy shore princess. She did it she made it! I am do happy for her. What I don't under stand is Dr. Deb having to go back home & leave Danica with her mother ...

Love Samantha Renee Heart

Easy Mistake

Renee,

Yes Danica's Mom is now referred to as an aunt, but Aunt Myrt is Dawn's True Aunt and Dr. Deb's boss and owner of the bungalow. I guess it could have been more clear. Debbie has been there for her Lit'l Sis and would be back in the evenings if needed.

Sam, you are a helpful reader and it is good to hear from you. I am a better writer for you being here.

Hugs, JessieC

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Wonderful, Jessica, Not just because of the results...

Ole Ulfson's picture

of the pageant but because of the way your writing and organization of your chapters/story has improved. You are really on a speedy learning curve girl! You were always a great story teller but it's a pleasure to see how much you've improved in the technical aspects of writing.

You know I've been a fan since the first chapter of your first story. All I can say is: Brava!!!

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!

My Learning curve

Ole,

Thanks to you Sam, Richard, Joani and more I have received helpful ideas on improving not just the pointing out of mistakes. I hope Readers remember that especially for new writers, we're first risking something more dear than our ability to spell or how well we write.

People such as Joani and Andrea I encouraged and helped me to express my thoughts and feelings as Jessie or the female character's perspective. Reading stories and poems from others.

Thank you,

Hugs to a friend,
JessieC

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors