Project Guardian: Book 2, Chapter 13.

Printer-friendly version

 

Chapter Thirteen of Fourteen

Previously...

    Alice and her parents were already back in the lab when Alexis got back there. She looked at Alice to make sure everything was alright and felt relieved when Alice gave her a little smile just before she launched into her for taking such a long lunch break.

     “So you do remember where the lab is then Brenda?” Alice snapped at Alexis.

     “Sorry Miss Farrey.” Alexis said putting some fear in her voice to make it sound like Alice scared her when she shouted like this. “I was just going over some apartment ideas with Sasha.” Alexis stuttered out.

     “Well I’m happy where I am for the time being, so it was a waste of time, or was it?” Alice asked casting a critical eye over the plump assistant stood before her.

     “I told Sasha that Miss Farrey, but she gave me the details anyway.”

     “We better not waste anymore time had we?” Alice said as she let out a sigh and then wrote down some things she wanted her assistant to look out for in some data sheets. What no one realised was that as well as the strings of code Alice had Alexis looking for, there were also some messages going back and forth.

    By the time Alice called it a day so they could go back to the hotel and get ready for the dinner date with their parents and Brad. Alice had let Alexis know that Brad had been fishing for information just like Sasha had been doing with her. Alexis had also let Alice know that she wanted to get this mission rapped up and their parents to safety as soon as they could, due to her not liking the way they were penned in on all sides.

    Alexis needed the final go ahead from Bob to extract their parents when the mission was over, not that Alexis planned to leave them behind to get killed by the bad guys. She may have issues with her parents over what they did, but they were still her parents and whether Bob gave them the green light or not, Alexis was going to get them to safety one way or another.

Now the story continues...

    Bob had given Alexis and Alice the green light to extract their parents as part of the mission, but he’d asked that they keep the fact that Alexis was still alive from them, if at all possible. Bob had said all this while they drove back to the hotel so they could get ready for the meal with the parents that evening.

    Lana informed them that a couple of goons belonging to Nash, had been in their rooms at the hotel and planted a couple of cameras and some bugs around the place while they had been at the lab. Bill and Ted had no trouble hacking into their signal though and then they told Alice and Alexis to go and lie down for a bit like they needed the rest, and then Bill and Ted would loop the feed, so they could get up again and work out a plan of attack.

    Alexis had slipped in an ear wig as they travelled up to their rooms in the elevator, so she knew when it was safe to get up again.

    “All clear Lexi.” Lana’s voice said in her ear. “Bill and Ted have the feed looped, so the bad guys are looking at the two of you sleeping like a couple of babies.” Lana explained.

     “Good! I’m getting a little sick of feeling like a goldfish in a bowl.” Alexis growled as she slipped out of bed and then used the door that joined her room to Alice’s to go and let her sister know it was safe to get up.

    Alice looked to be fast asleep, but she soon opened her eyes and smiled up at her sister, just before she threw her arms around her. “I’m sorry for the way I’m treating you at the lab sis.” Alice said as she tried to hug Alexis to death.

     “Don’t worry about it sis.” Alexis giggled. “I think you’re enjoying it just a little.” She added with a grin as they broke the hug and Alexis helped her sister to sit up. “Put this in your ear, I have Lana on coms.” Alexis said as she handed Alice an ear wig.

     “Hi baby!” Alice said sounding happy to be able to talk with Lana for a bit longer.

     “Hello lover. I wish I could have cuddled up to you just now, why you were pretending to be asleep.” Lana said with some pain in her voice. “I’m missing you like crazy.” She added with even more pain in her voice.

     “I wish you could have been here to cuddle up with.” Alice said with a pout.

     “I’m sorry to break this touching moment up, but we don’t have long to get a plan sorted out. Alice and I will need to get ready for this dinner thing, and I still need to replace this mask with a new one.” Alexis said as she touched a hand to her face. Alexis realised she’d also need to do the same with the hands when she saw the chubby things she now had covering her own hands. The plus side was having new fingerprints that matched the name she was using at the minute. Not that anyone would find out otherwise, due to her real finger prints being the same as Alice’s. Just another part of being her sister’s identical twin down to the last detail.

     “Sorry Lexi.” Lana said getting back to the business at hand. “I looked into what happened to Brad Jones former PA and you were right to question it. She was a victim of a mugging gone bad and was killed.” Lana explained.

     “What about Sasha? What’s her story?” Alexis asked with a frown. She hated being right all the time.

     “Before eight months ago there never was a Sasha Steen.” Lana warned. “Someone did a pretty good job of giving her a history, but Bill and Ted soon blew it way when they checked a couple of the facts out.” Lana added sounding smug with herself.

     “Well they can’t all have miracle workers like Alice and I do.” Alexis grinned. Alice and Alexis’s covers were so good, they could even convince a class mate from a school they never went to, that they were in some of their classes. It was made easier now days, thanks to the mask making machine, and now with the added feature of being able to make flesh gloves to give them different finger prints. A handy little feature they first used to set Mike McGarrett up.

     “You know we like to do our best to make sure you both come home to us safe at the end of each mission.” Lana said with a pout in her voice.

     “Did you get the shopping list we sent you?” Alexis asked.

     “Yes and the courier is in transit with it now. You should have the items by tomorrow.”

     “Good, the sooner we get this over with the better I’ll feel about it.” Alexis said with worry in her voice. “There are too many things that could go wrong the longer we let this play out.” Alexis added as she looked at Alice sat next to her on the bed.

     “Mum and Dad are getting edgy as well, and I’m worried about them saying something that could get us all in trouble, and then locked in the lab at Diablo until the chip designs are completed.” Alice warned.

     “I’ve been thinking the same thing sis, and I think we need to find some way of letting them know that you’re there to help, but don’t let on about me being part of it, the less they know about the plan, the less they can say if they get taken away and tortured.” Alexis said, not liking the thought of either parent being tortured, but it was a realistic part of the plan that could happen, and had in the past to Alice, but Alexis was always on the outside ready to jump in. This was a little different for them all.

    Alice had been doing this long enough to realise herself that Alexis was right, but it wouldn’t stop either of them from doing all they could to keep their parents safe. The hard part for Alice was going to be getting her parents to not say something that could get them all in trouble before Alexis had her plan in place. “I’ll see what I can do sis, but if mum or dad reacts the wrong way, this could get ugly, fast.” Alice warned.

     “I know sis.” Alexis said as she thought it out a bit more. “I think they will try to warn you off during dinner tonight, but Brad and Nash will be expecting that, and I bet the restaurant will be full of people working for them.” Alexis thought out loud.

     “What about that old code mum helped us make when we were kids?” Alice said all of a sudden looking excited about it. “I could write her a note warning her and then find a time to let her see it at the restaurant?” Alice asked.

     “Do you think mum would even remember that old code?” Alexis asked, not sure if this could be a waste of time, and one hell of a long shot for them to rely on.

     “Mum has a photographic memory just like you, so she will remember it.” Alice said sounding confident her plan would work.

     “How do you plan to get the note to her though?” Alexis asked.

     “Simple, I’ll just hand it to her and make it sound like something to do with the chip designs.” Alice shrugged. “I’ll have to warn her not to say anything to father though, just in case they get overheard.” Alice added when she saw her sister working out all the things that could go wrong with this plan.

     “Well I don’t have anything better, and I’ll work things out on the go, if they do go wrong.” Alexis shrugged back.

     “I know that this mission is a little more personal than other ones. But don’t go doing anything crazy... Well more crazy than you normally do.” Lana corrected herself when she remembered who she was talking to.

    Alice and Alexis both giggled when they heard the worry in Lana’s voice, but neither of them could make a promise on this mission. It was a little too personal for Alexis. She had her sister and her parents to protect and then get to safety while stopping the bad guys from getting away with the next generation guidance chip designs so they could then sell them to the enemy.

     “We’ll do our best baby, and I have Alexis to help keep me safe remember.” Alice said in a loving way as she took hold of her sister’s hand.

     “I better go and change my mask and hands before we need to end the loop so we can get up and get ready for this dinner date.” Alexis said as she looked at the time getting on.

     “Just let us know when you’re ready for us to end the loop Lexi.” Lana said.

    Alexis left Alice sat on the bed chatting with Lana, while she went back to her own room and then got out a fresh mask and skin gloves to replace the ones she was wearing at the minute, as they wouldn’t last to the end of the meal without starting to dissolve. Using the releasing spray, Alexis removed the old mask and then washed her face and felt how smooth it was before she sprayed the inside of the new mask and then applied it to her face, making her look like chubby little Brenda again. Even though she was the same height as Alice, the fat suit and smaller heels made her look much shorter than Alice did, and very harmless to go with it.

    Alice was still sat on the bed giggling at something Lana was saying when Alexis got back to her sister’s room.

     “I’m sorry to cut this conversation short sis.” Alexis said as she slipped the ear wig back in. “But we need to get you in bed again, and matching up with how you look on the camera.” Alexis said as she helped Alice get into bed again, just before she removed the ear wig in Alice’s ear.

    Lana spoke to Alexis and told her which parts Alice needed to move, so she matched up with the image on the camera. Alice was soon set and Alexis went back to her own room and let Lana talk her through getting in the right pose before coms went dead, and Alexis knew they were once again being watched.


*****

    Alexis had followed the directions Sasha had given her and found the restaurant without any trouble. Alexis helped Alice out of the car and then they walked into the place together. They saw the table with their parents and Brad sat at it, but Alice and Alexis were shocked to see Sasha sat with them as well. They made their way over to the table after speaking to a waiter and pointed out the party they were here to eat with.

     “I trust you had no trouble finding the place then Brenda?” Sasha asked as she got up and gave Alexis a hug to great her like they were close friends.

    Alexis knew that Sasha was just here to keep an eye on Brad, and the rest of them. Brad wouldn’t be able to follow them into the ladies room, but Sasha could. Alexis also noticed a couple of other couples paying a little too much attention to them as well, so she now knew that Nash had the place staked out with his people.

     “Yes the directions you gave me were very detailed Sasha.” Alexis smiled back as she returned the hug. She didn’t want to let Sasha or Brad realise she was onto them. “This looks like a very busy restaurant.” Alexis added as she looked around. This was more to let Alice know Brad had people staked out all around them by using a code phrase they had worked out earlier.

     “Could be a little too busy for my tastes.” Alice said as she looked around just before Alexis helped her off with her coat.

     “If you find it all too much Miss Farrey, I can take you back to the hotel.” Alexis said.

     “Thank you for the offer Brenda, but I should be alright, and please call me Alice this evening.” Alice said with a smile. This was to let Alexis know that Alice was ready to follow her lead if things got risky for them. “Hello again Mother, father.” Alice added as she gave each of her parents a polite hug in greeting before they all took their seats and waited for the waiter to pour Alice and Alexis a glass of Champagne out.

     “Can I just get a glass of water please?” Alexis asked as she put her hand over her glass to stop the waiter pouring any Champaign in it.

     “I can arrange a lift back to your hotel Brenda if you want to have a glass of Champagne.” Brad smiled.

     “Thank you for the offer Mr Jones, but I never drink alcohol.” Alexis smiled back.

     “I know you don’t want to talk shop tonight mother, but I just wanted to show you something I was thinking about earlier.” Alice said as she pulled out the slip of paper and handed it to her mother to read. Alice was glad her father was more interested in getting the waiters attention so he could get another double whatever he was drinking.

    Alexis remembered Alice telling her about their father hitting the bottle when he wasn’t working, but he was still a very intelligent man, even with a hangover. But looking at him knocking the drinks away at the minute, Alexis was beginning to wonder if their father wasn’t just permanently drunk.

    Alice sat holding her breath as she looked at her mother sat studying the code on the piece of paper for a couple of minutes.

     “Yes I can see this working, but I would just like to change a couple of bits on it.” Pamela said as she looked around for a pen. “Do you have a pen I can borrow Brad?” Pamela asked with a smile.

     “Sasha?” Brad said looking over at his assistant.

     “Yes I have a pen.” Sasha said as she went in her purse and pulled out a pen.

    Pamela was soon writing down a new string of code for Alice to look at. “I think this will work.” Pamela said as she handed the paper back to Alice via Brad.

    Alexis liked the fact their mother was letting Brad look at the code to make him think it was just an harmless piece of formula, but really it was their mother letting Alice know she understood and was going to remain quiet about the real reason for their daughter being at Diablo Tech.

     “Yes that would be a better way to do it.” Alice smiled as she folded up the paper again and slipped it back in her purse.

     “Now I don’t want any more talk about work.” Pamela said in a firm voice.

    They all ordered what they wanted to start with, and once they had eaten that, Alice got up to use the restroom and Sasha got up to go with her, just like Alexis expected. She also noticed a couple of other women from another table get up after looking over and seeing Alice and Sasha get up.

     “I think I could do with powdering my nose.” Alexis said, which was a warning to Alice that they had other interested parties heading for the restroom as well.

    Alexis kept an eye out for any trouble, but none came up as Alice used the toilet and then checked her makeup at the counter before returning to their table with Sasha and Alexis.

    Brad looked bored as the night went on and he had to sit and listen to Pamela talking to Alice about what she’d been doing over the past six years. Alexis got pulled into some of the conversations when it hit on what Alice had been doing in the past three years when she was working with her.

    Paul had just about drunk himself into a coma by the time Alice was ready to head back to her hotel. Pamela gave Alice a hug as she was getting ready to leave. She even gave Brenda a hug to thank her for filling them all in on what Alice had been doing at the government think tank she worked at when not going out to problem solve like she was doing now with Diablo Tech.

    Alice and Brenda never spoke until they had both placed their purses in the glove box where no one could listen to their conversation.

     “Are you doing okay?” Alice asked. Even though Alexis looked very different, Alice could still see that the hug from their mother had left her sister feeling upset.

     “I’ll be fine Alice; it was just a shock to be so close to them again in such a personal setting.” Alexis sighed. “The hug from mum felt really good as well. Something I never thought I’d feel again.” Alexis added with an even bigger sigh.

     “I’m sorry for agreeing to this meal now. I never gave much thought to how it would affect you sis.” Alice said as she hung her head in shame.

     “Don’t be Alice! I had a fun time listening to mum tell stories of what you did growing up.” Alexis giggled.

     “That’s fine because it wasn’t you she was talking about.” Alice whined. “Oh God Alexis, I’m so sorry.” Alice suddenly added when she realised what she’d just said.

     “Don’t worry about it sis, I know what you mean.” Alexis said with a smile as she reached over and took hold of Alice’s hand in hers.

     “Thanks Lexi.” Alice smiled back as she tightened her grip on Alexis’s hand. “I’m worried about the amount of alcohol dad was putting away tonight though.” Alice added looking worried.

     “I’m sorry Alice, but I just can’t bring myself to feel anything for that man.” Alexis said with anger in her voice, or Brenda’s voice. “After all these years, he still thinks Alex was guilty of the crime he went away for.” She added through gritted teeth as she gripped the steering wheel tighter, making it creek and groan under the pressure she was putting on it.

     “I can’t argue with you there Lexi, but I do believe mum wants to mend some bridges.” Alice said looking more promising about that turn of events. “Lana did prove that mum was telling the truth about trying to get Alex moved to a prison closer to where we were living at the time.” Alice pointed out.

     “I believe that too sis, but Lana could only find out that mum had been trying to get Alex moved. Dad wasn’t interested, just like he’s not interested even now.” Alexis reminded her sister.

     They were soon back at the hotel. They’d had no word from Lana to say that anyone else had been in either of their rooms, so they both got ready for bed and called it a night. They hadn’t been in bed long when there was the noise of a party going on a couple of doors down. Alexis called down to the front desk, but the hotel staff didn’t seem to be very helpful in wanting to try and sort the problem out. Alexis felt that an outside source had a hand in all this, and she planned to get Lana to look into it for her the next morning. She got out some ear plugs that had a little receiver inside so Lana and the guys could warn Alexis of any trouble that might come their way through the night, and Alexis and Alice were soon fast asleep again.


*****

    Lana got Bill and Ted to loop the bad guys video feed the next morning, so she could change her mask and gloves for a fresh set after she stripped and took a shower before putting her cat suit, armour and fat suit back on. Then she slipped back into bed ready for the fake getting up and getting ready. Alexis would be glad to see the back of this mission, just so she could get out of the fat suit she had to keep wearing.

    Sasha seemed to be lurking around by the entrance to the lab when Alice and Alexis got there. “You two look a little tired, did you not sleep to good?” Sasha asked the question like she already knew the answer.

     “Some of the guests down the hall decided to throw a party just after we went to bed last night.” Alexis explained to Sasha.

     “I’m sorry to hear that Brenda. Do you want me to sort out one of the apartments I told you about?” Sasha asked looking smug.

     “No! I’m sure it was just a one off thing.” Alice snapped just before she got her ID card out and placed it on the scanner, then she punched in her key code and gave Alexis a dirty looked because she had to do it herself. “Come Brenda, we have work to do.” Then Alice was gone.

     “I’m sorry about Alice, Sasha, but she’s even crankier when she doesn’t get all her beauty sleep.” Alexis whispered just before she ran off into the outer room, so they could leave their purses and all electronics before entering the lab.

    Alexis had a feeling that the hotel was going to see its second night of partying from some of its guests because of what Alice had just said, but Alexis had told her to say it for that reason. They had told Lana to look into the people partying, and any payoffs that might have taken place the day before to hotel staff. This would all help them trace where all the money was coming from, and help build a better case against Nash and Jones.

    Pamela was in the lab already working, but there was no sign of Paul in there, not that Alice and Alexis were surprised to see that, given how much he drank the night before.

     “Paul not joining us today?” Alice asked in a sarcastic tone.

     “I’m sure he’ll be in here later in the day.” Pamela said with a look that told Alice he wouldn’t have a choice in the matter, but Pamela had said as much in the coded message she’d given back to Alice the night before. “I’ve made some notes that I need you to look over.” Pamela added as she slid a pad over to Alice.

    It was less than a minute later that Brad entered the lab looking all happy with himself as he made his way over to talk with Alice and Pamela, and also take a look at the writing on the note pad Alice had just been passed by their mother.

     “Amateur.” Alexis thought to herself as she pretended to keep working on the data Alice had given her to check the day before. Alexis wasn’t worried about Brad seeing the code, as there were only three people that could read it, and one more that knew what it meant, but not even he knew what it said, and that was their father, and he was suffering from a hangover at the minute.

     “I was so sorry to hear about Paul not feeling well, but he was putting the whisky away last night.” Brad chuckled, but it sounded fake.

    Alexis thought that Brad was sorry for another reason that involved him explaining to Nash why he let Paul get that drunk in the first place. “Way to go dad.” Alexis thought to herself.

    Brad hung around for another couple of minutes trying to make small talk, but soon left again when he realised that they weren’t trying to communicate with each other, or he thought they weren’t, and Alice and Pamela didn’t seem to have any time for him, as they were both trying to solve a problem with a command code for the operations section of the chip, and being one person down was making more work for the two of them.

    Alice read through all the stuff her mother had wrote down and then got rid of the page before Paul turned up and blew everything. Alice would tell Alexis what their mother had said on the way to the hotel at the end of the day.

    Paul did arrive mid morning, but he still didn’t look fit to work, but Dillon Nash led him into the room with another couple of men in suits following just behind. Alexis could tell right away that the two other men were just a couple of goons trying to play officer workers, but their walk was all wrong for a normal person, it screamed ex military. The other thing that worried Alexis was the look Paul had in his eyes as he took his seat at the desk. It was the same look he used to get when he was angry with Alex for something. This was when Paul was prone to doing something stupid and rash. Two things Alexis and Alice didn’t need at the minute. They both knew that if their father said anything about them working on the computer program and chip for a criminal, then they would all be locked down until the work was done, which would be bad due to Alexis still needing to put a couple of things in place ready for the extraction of their parents and Alice.

    Pamela came to the rescue though and managed to calm her husband down. They all got back to work and Nash finally left when he realised he had no real idea what Alice and her mother was talking about. Paul just sat glaring at a computer screen while he waited for some painkillers to start working.

    Alexis ended up having lunch with Sasha again, as she tried to work on Alexis and get her to talk Alice into taking an apartment on the grounds. Alexis and Alice were going to do that in the end, but Alexis needed the items from command that she asked for first, or she needed to know they would be in place ready for her plan. Alexis was shocked to see Brad walk over and sit with her and Sasha, so he could also have a word about Brenda talking some sense into Alice.

     “Like I’ve said to Sasha, Mr Jones. Alice does what Alice wants to do, but I will try and make her see that it would be for the best.” Alexis explained.

    Alexis and Alice were glad to finish in the lab that day, as they were both sick of being around their father when he was getting over a hangover. He’d been snapping at them all ever since he arrived. The two girls were convinced most of his anger was aimed at Nash and Jones, but sadly neither of them was around through the day to put up with it, but Alice, Alexis and Pamela were.

     “Lana?” Alice asked in the car after placing the two bugged purses in the sound proof glove box. “Do you have an update for us?”

     “Other than your package has arrived, and it’s waiting for you at the hotel, nothing useful.” Lana’s voice said out the speakers.

    Alexis smiled at this bit of news, because the package was her mustang which was being driven by Sarah. Alexis needed Sarah to dress in her guardian gear and pretend to be her until Alexis could slip away and take her place. None of them wanted Alice and the guardian being tied together, so they were going to make it look like this woman dressed all in black just broke into the place and extracted Alice and her parents.

     “Well you just put a smile on Lexi’s face with that little bit of news.” Alice giggled.

     “It still doesn’t mean they can get up to anything though.” Lana pointed out with a warning tone to her voice. “You are being watched remember.” Lana reminded Alexis.

     “Not for much longer. I say we put the plan into play the day after tomorrow.” Alexis growled. “We’ll have one more bad night here at the hotel, and then I’ll have a word with Sasha in the morning, and get her to help me move our stuff over through the day, so Alice and I will be in the right place to grab our parents and get the hell out of there.” Alexis added, making it all sound very simple, but she more than anyone knew a lot could go wrong and probably would before they got to safety.

    Alexis couldn’t help but smile when she pulled into the parking area at the hotel and saw her beautiful black mustang parked at the other end of the lot. Alexi knew it was going to be hard seeing Sarah sat in the hotel and not be able to go to her, but Alexis had to remain undercover as Brenda until after the mission.

    The other item Sarah had brought with her was a new style helmet Bill and Ted had been working on for Alexis. This one remained soft until a charge is run through it to make it as hard as steel, or one of her normal helmets. With that being the case, it meant that Alexis would be able to hide the new helmet on her body until she needed it. It wasn’t like she had trouble finding hiding places with her new chubby look. She was already wearing a cat suit and body armour under the fat suit anyway.

    Alexis wanted to spend time with Sarah more than anything, but the last thing any of them needed was Nash’s men looking into Sarah’s identity and finding any link to Alice, as this would be very bad. So Sarah ended up sat in the hotel restaurant being hit on by every other guy that evening, while Alexis continually counted to a hundred to try and stop herself going over and breaking some necks. Sarah did okay though, and she went up to her room after her meal alone, much to Alexis’s relief.

    Alice and Alexis got an early night, and as no big surprise they had more trouble with some other guests throwing a party and arguing most the night. Luckily the ear plugs worked and blocked out all the sound, while Lana, Bill and Ted kept an eye on the hallways and rooms for them both. Lana woke them all the next morning, and then informed Alice and Alexis of just how noisy it was compared to the night before.

     “If the whole bad girl bit doesn’t work out for Sasha, she would make one hell of a party planner.” Lana pointed out after giving the girls all the highlights from the night.

     “I’ll have a word with her when we get to the lab. We’ll be in place then for tomorrow night when we break out and get our parents to safety.” Alexis said as she drove her and Alice back to Diablo Tech for another fun filled day of working with their parents. Alexis was glad neither of her parents realised who she really was, because Alice was being treated just like she was growing up, a fact that wasn’t going over well with Alice.

     “Sarah will have the car in place this evening, ready to crash through the main gate and draw most of the guards to that point, while you all make your escape.” Lana said, going over the details of the plan for Sarah.

     “Have you spoken with Sarah yet today Lana?” Alexis asked with some pleading in her voice to hear her girlfriend’s musical tones for just a little bit before they got to Diablo.

     “She’s speaking to me now on another com line, or she was.” Sarah giggled. “I told her not to bother you.” Sarah added sounding more serious.

     “Feel free to bother me anytime baby.” Alexis said with a sigh, happy to be able to chat with Sarah. “I wanted to kill every single man that came over to you last night while you were having dinner.” Alexis growled.

     “I only have eyes for my Lexi, so all those men just wasted their time, and money.” Sarah said in a sweet soothing voice. “I had a very lonely night with a book, and a glass of wine.” Sarah added with a pout.

     “I’ll make it up to you when this mission is over baby. You pick the place, and I’ll get us there.” Alexis promised.

     “I’m sorry sis, but we need to end this now.” Alice said as she saw the main gates of Diablo Tech coming into view.

     “You know the plan Saz, so we’ll see you tonight at the meeting place. Bye, love you.” Alexis said just before she saw Alice hit the button to end the link. Alice then got their purses out the glove box and sat waiting for Alexis to pull up to the main gate and show the guard their ID’s.


*****

    Brad and Sasha were in the lab when Alice and Alexis got there, not that either of them was shocked at that. Alexis had been expecting Sasha to be close by ready to offer her help when Brenda told her about the wild party some of the guests were having the night before.

     “Sasha? Do you mind if I have a quick word with you?” Alexis asked in her Brenda voice.

     “Sure Brenda, but you will have to walk with me, as I need to get some paperwork to another department ASAP.” Sasha said as she looked at Alice to get the okay.

    Alice just nodded her head to say it was alright, and Alexis was soon following Sasha as she left the lab and then waited for Alexis to grab her cell phone, just in case Alice needed her while she was away.

     “What did you want to talk about then Brenda? Sasha asked as they walked down the hallway together.

     “Alice has finally had enough of the hotel. They had another wild party last night, and neither of us got much sleep, so she’s ready to move into an apartment here on Diablo grounds, so she can concentrate on the guidance chip and programming.” Alexis explained.

     “That’s not a problem at all Brenda. I can take you over to the apartment right now, and then we can pop over to the hotel and grab your stuff.” Sasha said sounding genuinely excited about it.

     “That’s great Sasha, but I don’t want to put anyone to any trouble. I was going to pop out at lunchtime and get our things if you said it was alright.” Alexis said trying to decline any help from Sasha, but really this was what Alexis wanted Sasha to do.

    Alexis had learned early on that letting the bad guys think they were the ones in control, made it easier to catch them out and then use their own ideas against them.

     “Brad should still be with Alice and her parents now, so I’ll give him a quick call and he can explain what’s going on and the fact you’ll be with me for most the morning while we get the two of you moved to one of the apartments.” Sasha said as she got her cell phone out and made the call before waiting for Brad to answer.

    Alexis knew from the start that Sasha was calling Brad for another reason, and she bet that Nash was also listening in on the conversation she was having.

    Sasha finished her call and then quickly dropped some paperwork off with a very confused woman in an office just down the hall from the lab where Alexis had been working with Alice and her parents. Alexis wondered if the paperwork was even meant for that department judging by the look on the poor woman’s face.

     Alexis was soon being shown around a really nice apartment, but Alexis could tell that it was filled with camera’s that Bill and Ted would need to hack into and trick later that night so they could all make their escape.

     “The apartment has three bedrooms, so I’m, not sure if Alice will want you to share the apartment with her?” Sasha asked as she let Alexis look around.

     “I’ll assume so for now, but I trust you have another one if she doesn’t?” Alexis asked.

     “Nothing as large and as grand as this, but yes we have some smaller apartments you’d like.” Sasha said. “Will it do then?” Sasha asked looking hopeful.

     “It’s perfect. When can we move in?” Alexis asked with a grin on her chubby little fake face.

     “Let’s go and get your things.” Sasha grinned as she grabbed her phone again and made a call to someone. Alexis was soon in the back of a limo heading to the hotel to collect hers and Alice’s things.


*****

     Alice looked relieved to see Alexis return when she saw her and Sasha enter the lab again a couple of hours later.

     “That was some word you needed to have with Sasha. I hope you have a good reason for being gone so long Brenda.” Alice snapped.

     “Sasha called and spoke to Brad earlier Miss Farrey. She told him that I’d be going with Sasha to fetch our things and deliver them to the apartment here on the Diablo grounds.” Alexis explained with a fake stutter to make herself sound scared of Alice being mad at her.

    Before Alice had time to say their well rehearsed speech she was cut off by her father jumping up and went for Brad with both hands balled into fists. “You promised that Alice would be left out of this if we did the designs for you!” Paul yelled as he took a swing at Brad, but missed.

    Alice and Alex’s father had never been much of a fighter, he’d been a computer geek in school, and that is what led him to the career he was now in. Brad on the other hand looked like he’d been a jock in school, and also knew how to fight, as he easily stepped out the way of Paul’s punch and then slammed his own fist into Paul’s stomach, dropping him to his knees gasping for breath.

    Pamela went to slap Brad across the face for what he’d just done to her husband, but before she could, Sasha laid a punch to the side of her face that dropped her to the ground right next to where Paul was lying with his hands wrapped around his belly groaning.

    Alice stepped forward, but soon stopped dead in her tracks when she found Brad pointing a gun in her face. “What’s going on?” Alice asked looking scared at the barrel of the gun in her face.

     “Sasha, you better call Nash and get him down here right now.” Brad said as he flicked the gun to the side and looked over at some computer chairs. “Take a seat and all will be explained to you Alice.” Brad added with a smug little smile on his face.

    Alexis had been left over the other side of the lab on her own, but she wasn’t about to make a move just yet. She wanted to see what Dillon Nash had to say first, and then she would work out the best way to disarm them all and get Alice and her parents to safety.

    Nash must have been watching the show from another room because he was entering the room while Sasha was still trying to get hold of him on her cell.

     “I did everything you asked of me Mr Nash.” Paul growled at the man just entering the room. “Grabbing my daughter wasn’t part of the deal.” He added with a groan as he gripped his stomach again in some pain still.

     “So you know my name then Paul. That’s a shame.” Nash said with a sigh. “As for our deal, well you dragging your feet and hopping for a miracle is what got your daughter dragged into all this. It will also get her killed if you don’t get the designs for the chip finished.” Nash added as he pulled a gun from inside his jacket and pointed it at the side of Alice’s head.

     “If you kill my daughter, you will never get your guidance chip.” Paul said defiantly.

     “Maybe I should kill your wife instead then?” Nash asked as he took the gun away from Alice’s head and stepped over to where Pamela was sat looking scared for her daughter’s life more than her own.

     “You’ll get the same result.” Paul growled. “Let my daughter go and I’ll finish the design for the chip.” Paul bargained with the mad man.

     “How about I start putting bullets in your daughter until you agree to finish the designs?” Nash asked as he put the gun barrel to Alice’s knee and started to pull back the trigger.

     “If you hurt one hair on either one of them, then you will never get your design.” Paul said as he got to his feet and looked Nash in the eyes to let him see just how serious he was about the safety of his wife and daughter.

     “If that’s the way it’s going to be then you’ve left me no other choice Paul.” Nash said as he took the barrel away from Alice’s knee and let out a sigh as he shook his head from side to side.

    Alexis was getting a bad feeling about something. She didn’t like the way Nash was speaking; she hated what he did next even more as he lifted the gun up and pointed it right at her.

     “I’m sorry Brenda, but I have to make a point, and it looks like you’re it.” Nash said as he pulled the trigger and shot Alexis right in the chest, blowing her backwards across the lab and over a desk where she banged her head, knocking herself out cold.

 

To Be Continued Next Sunday  

 

Story by SaraUK

 

Edited and Posted by SamanthaK

    EDITORS NOTE: Please Comment and/or leave Kudos and let Sara know you like her work please, Any comments on spelling, grammar or the layout of the story please PM me “Samanthak” not Sara. Thank you

up
162 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Kudos

revolution's picture

Wow! only word i can think to describe this chapter. Can't wait to read the next part on Sunday!

you've done it now

Good God Sara you've done it now!!! how on earth are we going to survive the next week not knowing what happened to Lexi?.

Hugs Ronnie:)

ROO

Onmigawd, I HATE cliffhangers!

Now I'm going to go break something-Aaargh!
Wren Smash!

LOL,
Wren

Hope that fat suit has fake blood to go with it

Well you know the old hackneyed phrase of plans and battles well this is gonna be fun. This is the best cliffhanger Sara has done to date

Stupid asshats think they have just red-shirted Brenda, but we shall see what we shall see.

*Two thumbs up!*

Kim

Brenda

Mr. Nash and friends are about to find out that Brenda is much more than she seems, and the she and Alice have much more support than just the two of them.

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm