Leigh Anne - Chapter 6

Printer-friendly version

Leigh Anne - Chapter 6
by Barbara Lynn Terry

It was still dark outside when Leigh's alarm went off. She got up an hour early so she could get ready for the tournament. She ran her bath and put in a capful of jojoba bubble bath. She brushed her teeth, and turned off the water in the tub. She sat down, and cascaded the water all over her. She took the Prell ® shampoo and washed her hair. Then she washed and rinsed off with the shower head. After she was dry, Leigh wrapped the towel around her head turban style, and got in to her underthings, starting with the gaffe. She had a little problem at first, but soon over came it. Then she put on her panties, Then her under shorts (you need somwhere to place the extra ball), then the green and white tennis dress. She was going to wear her dual green one, but when Debbie Constantine had said they must wear school colors, she opted for her green and white tennis dress. The school colors for Hampton Senior High was green and white.

She went down to breakfast.

"Dear, is that what you're wearing to school?"

"Yes, mother. It is no different than the cheerleaders wearing their short outfits all day when they have practice before their game."

"Yes, I suppose. Did you have any problems with the gaffe?"

"At first, but I got it sorted."

"You know, Leigh, I was waiting for you to call me to help you."

"Mother, I had thought about it, but then decided I need to do this at sometime by myself, so why not start now."

"Good girl. Honey, what time is the game?"

"Immediately right after school on the tennis courts across the street from the school. The school has already reserved four courts for us."

"How many courts are there?"

"At that park, there are eight. This way we can have our tournament, and the others can be used for free playing."

"All right, then, I will be there. I want to see my little girl kick some serious butt." They both giggled, and Leigh thought that is exactly what she intended to do. Especially to a Gaynor high student named Geri Watkins. Leigh also got another thought, too. Her mother had never seen her play tennis. This would be a first for the both of them; Leigh with her mother watching, and her mother being there to watch Leigh play a varsity high school sport.

They heard a car horn outside, and Leigh got her book bag, hugged her mother and headed for the front door.

"Bye mom, see you at the game. I love you." Leigh went to get in the car.

"Girl, you're going to seriously cause a few poor guys some really embarrassing moments with that outfit."

"Thank you, Patty. Good morning, Darlene. Good morning, Mrs. Langston, thanks for the ride."

"Good morning, Leigh, and you are quite welcome."

"Leigh, do you remember what we talked about, last night?"

"Yes, and don't worry. I will be the epitome of femininity and my conduct will be very lady like. Geri is going to pee right on the court when she sees she can't get the best of me."

High school sports aren't like professional sports where manners are enforced. In high school sports, there is much rivalry, and backstabbing.

"I can't wait until Geri sees you in that outfit. She is going to go ballistic."

"Well, we will see. The game isn't until four o'clock, so she has all day to get steamed, thinking about how she can humiliate me."

"I forgot to tell you something else, too, Leigh. Geri has a bad habit of trying to distract her opponent. She will do something, then she will hit the ball when she knows you are unprepared for it. Don't let her do that. You keep your eye on the ball, and your mind on the game. Miss Geraldine Watkins is not going to know what hit her." The girls giggled, while Patty's mom just smiled.

They arrived at the school, and when they saw Patty, Darlene and Leigh together, the boys almost had an embarrassing moment right in front of the school. There were whistles, and one boy shouted out.

"It's about time you showed us you're a girl, Leigh, instead of wearing those boy clothes and acting like a tomboy."

Leigh smiled coyly at the the boy, and then she said.

"There comes a time when a girl must show everyone that she can be a lady."

"I like your tennis outfit, Leigh."

"Thank you, Roger Dobkins."

Roger Dobkins was one of the receivers on the Hampton high varsity football squad, and forward on the basketball squad. He was very popular as were all the jocks, but Roger never let it go to his head. That is, he never thought he was God's gift to anybody or anything. Roger had helped win games and helped lose a few, too. But, all in all, he always had fun. His California blond hair and sparkling white teeth helped him to make friends easily, even with the less popular students in the school. He would be in the girls corner tonight at the game.

As the girls went in to homeroom, the principal was there, and made an announcement about the game.

"Tonight, we have a tennis game against Gaynor high. I want you all on the tennis squad to know that we are all there for you. Go out there and beat some sense in to the Gaynor High Lady Cougars. I wish you all a lot of luck, so, GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TIGERS!"

After he was done, attendance was taken, then the first bell rang telling the students to go to their first class.

All Leigh could think about all day, was Geri and what she was told about her tactics. Leigh swore to herself that she would do like she always did, and that is, play the game. Nobody was going to get the better of her on the court.

At lunch time, the squad all got together to plot their course of action against the Gaynor High Lady Cougars. When they were discussing this, they went outside and stood looking at the courts across the street that had been roped off for the tournament. These were the same type of courts that Leigh had played on, on the weekends, with his friends.

"I know how to play on these kinds of courts. I'm going to have to really play when we meet Gaynor on their home ground, because they have clay courts. If we win tonight, the next game is at their courts."

"Don't worry, Leigh, we will get you through this. If we lose tonight, then we play Madison High.

"I hear Madison hasn't won a tournament in three years."

"That's right, Leigh. They don't seem to have the type of team now that they have had in the past."

"Darlene, what do you think?"

"I think you just need to be yourself. Don't let anything or anybody get under your skin."

"Thank you, Dar. I really appreciate what you have all done for me."

"What did we do? All we did was ask if you wanted to play on our squad. It was you who did everything else."

"I know, Patty, but still, if you hadn't asked me, I'd still be sitting alone with my yogurt and milk."

"That is why you have a natural figure, Leigh. You eat like a bird. You're body somehow knows that your are a female, and is trying to compensate for the male body, trying to force it out. It will be interesting to see what the doctor says about this."

"I will ask mom to call her and see when I am supposed to go. With this game on my mind, I kinda forgot."

"Don't worry about that now. Just concentrate on the game tonight, and you will be fifty per cent ready."

"Only fifty per cent, Patty?"

"Well, fifty five per cent, then." All three girls giggled. "But, you know what I mean. We have three more classes before we have to go to the courts. We can practice for a bit, because it will take the Gaynor High bus about a half an hour to get here. They will be in trouble, because they won't have time to practice a game or two. I think, though, that will just practice a few lobs, and see if you get a few aces, too."

"Alright, Patty."

"The first bell rang ending the luch period, and they went back in to get their books for the second half of their school day. Leigh, Patty and Darlene had the same classes, so they all went to home ec. They were making prom dresses, gowns, and semi formal dresses. These were to be worn to school functions, and since Leigh, Patty and Darlene were fresman, they could only go to a prom if the were invited. But the school held dances throughout the whole school year. These were social functions, and was for the purpose of showing the students how to interact with others.

Leigh knew how to sew pretty good, but she still needed instruction, somewhat, for a project this big. Leigh had selected a knee length, semi formal dress pattern, that included lace and silk. The cost for each student for this project was forty five dollars and that was for the patterns and material. as well as a sewing machine to use at the school. The first day of classes, each girl was assigned a sewing machine. The only desk in the whole classroom was for the teacher. Leigh already had the bodice of the dress sewn together, now, she just needed to sew the skirt together, then attach the two halves.

This dress that Leigh was making, also had an under slip made of satin, but, Leigh would still need a proper slip when she wore the dress. Leigh was able to sew one side of the skirt before the bell rang ending the class. Leigh folded her dress and put it in the locker assigned by the teacher.

"Class, I was watching, and you all are doing wonderful. Leigh, how far did you get with the skirt?"

"I got one side sewn together. I will do the other side on Friday, and stitch the body and the skirt together."

"Alright, well, class dismissed."

"Attention, attention please. Will the girls varsity tennis team plase report to the girls gym. Thank you."

Leigh looked at Darlene and Patty and all three shrugged. When they got to the girls gym, the girls varsity coach began.

"Girls, in a bit, we are going out to the courts to practice. This will give us an edge over Gaynor. Leigh, I want you to practice your lobs and aces. If we can enough of each to get our points, we will win the game. Remember though, if we win today, we play Gaynor on their clay courts and they will have home court advantage. Leigh, have you ever played on a clay court, before?"

"Yes, Mrs. Madison."

"Good. Now girls, if we are ready, let's go and practice a little before the games start."

They went out to the courts, and since this was a school event, this was considered a field trip, because it was off of school grounds. Mrs. Madison then told the girls the lineup.

"First, we will have doubles of four players each. I am going to try you all in different positons, to see where you are best at. So, Leigh and Cheryl Masters play at the base line, facing the sun, Patricia Langston will serve, and Collen Sanders will play just inside the serve line.

"Donna Sanchez and Dorothy Winston will play the base line, and Susan Winters and Mary Whithers, will play just inside the serve line. You four will be the opponents for Leigh and company. Please take your places, girls."

All eight girls took their places. Patty served the first ball, but it was called out. She served the seconf ball and it was hit back just inside the net. Leigh lobbed it over the net and it was 15-Love. Patty served again, but the return was called out. It was now 30-Love. Patty served again, and this time both teams volleyed the ball back and forth for a few minutes, before Leigh hit it out on the right side. It was now 30-15. Patty served again, trying very hard to keep the other side as low as possible. Patty hit the ball and it was volleyed back and forth for about five minutes.

"Good volley, girls, keep it up as long as you can," Mrs. Madison said, cheering her girls on.

The volley lasted seven minutes before Susan Winters hit it out. It was 40-15. Patty's team had the advantage now, and needed one more point to win this practice game. Patty hit the ball to Dorothy Wisnton, whose return hit their side of the net. It was now 41-15 and game.

"All right ladies, that was good. Now switch sides, and let us see how good both teams can do. Donna and Dorothy will play the serve line, with Donna serving, Susan and Mary will play the base line. Leigh and Colleen will play the serve line, while Cheryl and Patty play the base line. Are we ready, girls? Alright then, start."

Donna served the ball, and it was volleyed back and forth before Patty lobbed it out. It was now 15-Love. Donna served again, and the ball ended up on the side line and was called out. Donna challenged it, and when the saw where the ball had hit, it was called in. It was now 30-Love. The game continued with the next serve, and Donna lobbed it for an ace. It was now 40-Love. The next serve would determine the game. Donna served the ball and this volley last several minutes. Then Susan hit it in to the net, on their side. It was 40-15. Donna tried to lob the next serve for an ace, but ended up having it hit back. This volley also lasted several minutes, before Leigh hit it out. That was game with a score of 41-15.

"Alright, girls, that was good. Now, I want to see just two girls on each side, so I can determine the line up before the game with Gaynor starts. Mary and Cheryl on one team, facing the sun, and Patty and Darlene on the other team. Darlene, it is your serve.Darlene lobbe three aces, making the score 40-Love. It was the next serve that would decide the game, or earn the other team points. The game ended up 41-Love.

"Good. Girls, you are doing great. Now I want to see just singles. Patty against Darlene. Patty, you serve."

Patty served but Darlene hit it back and the volley lasted more than ten minutes. Finally, Darlene hit her ball in to the net, making it 15-Love. The next two serves were aces, making the score 40-Love. All the time Leigh was watching, she noted the strengths and weaknesses, and told them to coach Madison.

"Leigh that is very commendable that you are able to see that. I guess what I wa told about you, is true. You do know this game inside and out."

"Thank you, coach."

Patty served the next ball, and she hit her return to Darlene in to her side of the net. It was 40-15. Then the next serve was an ace, ending the game at 41-15.

"Alright girls, gather 'round. You all did just great. We don't have any super girls, but we have professional grade tennis players. That is a good thing. We are going to give the Gaynor Lady Cougars a run for their money."

The bleachers outside of the tennis courts, were beginning to fill up. Leigh saw her mother come with Patty's mom, and they both sat on the bottom center of the bleachers. This way they could get a good view of the game. It was while the bleachers were being filled up, that the Gaynor Lady Cougars arrived.

"Now girls, remember what I said. You have done great today in practice. Just keep up the good work, but now you have a reason to be just a bit better. You win these next two games, then we play Madison high anyway, and if they lose the first two sets, then we play the Hamilton Lady Cardinals. If we win most of our games, we are a shoe in for State. So, are we ready girls?"

Mrs. Madison placed her hand palm down, and the rest of the placed theirs on top and they all said: GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TIGERS. They split in a dramatic placing their hands downward then breaking the solidarity hands on.

"Watch the board, ladies, and you will see who you are playing against. Our line up will be Patty, Leigh, Darlene, Mary, Susan, Donna, Cheryl, Colleen and Dorothy. The lineup will change for the next set anyway.

The referee for the game was Mrs. Ogla Svenson from Sweden, originally, and a right decent tennis player in her own right. She has even played in a few Opens including the French Open, the Australia Open and the U.S. Open. She was selected from a list of names provided by MHSAA. There were also six line judges from another list provided by the Association. When the officials took their places, the referee sitting in the highest chair over looking the courts. Then the Hampton Lady Tigers got a real surprise.

"Will Leigh Anne Smythe take the court, facing the sun? You will play the first set against Geraldine Watkins of the Gaynor Lady Cougars."

"So much for our lineup. Alright, Leigh, take your side of the court."

"I requested you Leigh so I can get you out quickly."

"Good luck, Geri, you will definitely need it."

Leigh was told that when a player in any sport allows their emotions to show, they play a very poor game.

"Miss Watkins, it is your serve."

Geri hit the ball hoping to get an ace, but Leigh hit the ball back and got the first points. It was Love-15. The reason that Leigh won the first points in the game, was because Geri Watkins was not ready for Leigh's quick action in getting the ball returned.

"That was just luck, Leigh."

As Geri was talking she served the next ball. Leigh returned it so it bounced at Geri's left foot, and bounced back toward the net. It was now Love-30. There was an eerie silence in the crowd of spectators. The next served was hit right toward the inside of the base line, but Leigh returned it. They volleyed back and forth for about three minutes, when Geri thought she was being cute

"Look, up there. A blimp."

Thinking Leigh was distracted, Geri served the ball. Leigh returned it, and the volley lasted another three minutes. Leigh was quick during this game, because she wanted her team to go to State. Leigh also didn't know that Dr. Sam was also watching the games.

Geri was starting to show her anger towards Leigh, and served the ball. It was called out, so Geri served again. This time it was in, and the volley last about six minutes. Geri, getting angrier and angrier, went to return the ball, but hit it in to the net. it was now Love-40 and it was Leigh's advantage. Geri served the ball again, this time with 'kill' in her eyes, but she hit it in such a way as it dropped just over the net. Leigh was quick enough to return it, and hit it to the far left side of the court on Geri's side, making the game Love-41.

"Game, Smythe," Olga called out. Geraldine Watkins threw her racquet it down.

Leigh remembered what her mother had said about their not being any female John McEnroe's in tennis. Well, she thought, Geri Watkins sure could be a candidate for the part. Then Leigh giggled to herself.

As they cooled off and drank a sip of Gator Ade, Leigh saw Dr. Sam in the bleachers. Leigh smiled, knowing she had the best cheering section there is. Leigh and Geri switched sides, and it was Leigh's serve. Leigh was very good at playing tennis. She lobbed the first ball for an ace, making the score 15-Love. Leigh thought, 'stay angry, Geri, please stay angry'.

Lee served the second ball, but Geri though she was going to be cute, and hit the ball to the far right corner of Leigh's side. Leigh returned the ball, much to Geri Watkins chagrin, making Geri hit the ball in to the net. It was now 30-Love, and Leigh served again. 'the angrier you get, Geri, the worse you will be able to play'.

"You're a ringer, Smythe, you know this game more than just a little."

"Yes, Geri, I do. I play tennis as often as I can." Leigh wasn't bragging but stating a fact. Leigh did know the game from every angle, and she loved playing this game, not only for the exercise, but to actually do something that counts. She thought to herself, 'maybe I will play professional tennis'.

Leigh served the next ball, and it went right by Geri Watkins' right foot, making the sore 40-Love. Leigh had one ace to her credit. Leigh was going to try and serve the next ball to the left of Geri's side, hoping for another ace. It worked, as the ball was called in, making the score 41-Love.

"Game, Smythe," Olga said, with a wide grin.

They switched sides after taking a sip of Gator Ade, and it was Geri's serve. Roger Dobkins was also in the stands and clapping everytime Leigh won a game. When Leigh saw him in the stands, she miled and waved a little without being obvious. Roger waved back. The girls took their respective sides of the court, and Geri served, this time calmly.

But, it didn't work, because angry or calm, Gerladine Watkins was no match for Leigh Anne Smythe.

Leigh returned the ball, and the volley was going good after several returns from both girls, until Geri hit it in to the net.

"Love-15," Olga called out.

It was then Geri Watkins got an idea.

"Time, please."

"A time out has been called by Gaynor," Olga stated. "Five minutes, Gaynor."

"I want everybody here to know that Leigh Anne Smythe is a guy and not a girl, and has no place in this competition."

"Are you finished, Miss Watkins?" Olga asked, looking peeved. Geri nodded her head. "Very well, then. It is listed here by the Michigan High School Athletic Association, that Leigh Anne is what they called intersexed, with female being the dominant sex. Leigh Anne Smythe is permitted to play in this tournament." There was applause from Hampton High and boos from the Gaynor side.

Leigh giggled, because Geri couldn't get her thrown out of the game. Now Geri was boiling mad and served the ball with as much hatred as she could muster. The ball was called out as was the next one.

"Love-30. Gaynor, control your player or she will be disqualified."

"Time," the Gaynor coach called. Olga said five minutes, and they only had one time out left.

The Gaynor coach talked to Geraldine Watkins, but Leigh couldn't hear what was being said. But, she kind of gathered that the Gaynor coach was not too happy with Geri's performance.

When Geri returned, it was still her serve. She served it as calmly as she could, and it hit the net. Served again and it hit the net.

"Love-40"

Geri Watkins was shuddering to think that Leigh was better than she had thought. So, Geri tried getting into the the spirit of the game, but it was too late. One more point and Leigh would have won the first set for the Lady Tigers.

In men's tennis there are three games they play to a set, even though there are six games to a set and six sets to a match. But, being as time was of the essence, only two games per set was allowed in girls tennis, unless there was a tie, then there would be an extra game. So far in the two games played, there were no deuces.

Geri served again, hitting the ball out. It didn't bounce inside the base line. Geri served her second ball, and the volley last nine minutes.

"Love-41. Game, Smythe. First set to Hampton High." Olga now had a real smile on her face. "Good job, ladies." Geri and Leigh went to the net to shake hands.

"I'll get you when you play at our school. We have clay courts."

"I am looking forward to playing on your courts, Geri. Take care."

"Yeah, uhm, you too."

The next set was between Patty and Gaynors five foot, eight girl, whose name is Debbie Adams

"The next game is between Patricia Langston of Hampton High and Debbie Adams from Gaynor. Ladies, please take your sides of the court."

Leigh was going to watch this game very closely. She wanted to see just how clumsy Debbie Adams really was. It was Patty's serve.

The first ball was in and they volleyed back and forth for ten minutes, and finally, Debbie kind of tripped on her own foot, losing her balance, briefly. Leigh couldn't help but giggle softly.

"15-Love."

When Patty served the next ball, Debbie couldn't even see where it went. Another ace for the Lady Tigers. Patty refrained from laughing, but she was silently thinking, 'yep about as clumsy as the Jolly Green Giant'. Patty served again, and this time Debbie returned the ball and the volley was starting out very good, but then Debbie hit the ball into the net.

"30-Love."

The next serve got a volley of eight minutes, but Patty hit her return in to the net.

"30-15"

The next serve was called out, so Patty served her second ball, and the volley lasted for only three minutes, when Patty hit the ball so hard, it was called out.

"30-30."

Patty was beginning to worry a little, that she might not be able to win over Debbie. She served the next ball and Debbie rushed to meet it at the net, tripping on the pavement.

"40-30. Are you all right, Miss Adams?" Olga inquired.

"Yes, ma'am," Debbie Adams said, getting up. There was applause from everyone.

Patty served the next ball, and it went wide and was called out. She served again, and this time, Debbie hit right at Patty's right foot.

"Deuce."

Now the game can only be won by one of the players getting two points more than the other.

Patty served and Debbie hit it back, and it hit the top of the net and started to roll over on to Patty's side. Patty scrambled to return it, and caught Debbie of guard, by tipping the ball right back over the net. Debbie tried to get to it before it bounced twice, but she wasn't fast enough.

"Advantage, Hampton."

With the next serve, Debbie returned to hit just inside the serve line on Patty's side.

"Deuce two."

This time, Patty hit the ball high, so it would bounce right in front of Debbie, but she saw it coming and backed up to return it. Patty returned it with a spin, and won the advantage.

"Advantage, Hampton."

Patty's next serve was an ace.

"Game, Langston." There was applause from her side and boos from Gaynor.

Four of the girls from each school got a chance to play, but it was getting dark, so the Gaynor Lady Cougars would have to come back tomorrow and finish the tournament. There was one more set that needed to be played. The Gaynor team got on their bus for the ride back to their school.

Leigh and the rest went in the school, to get their books for homework. There was a note taped to each girl's locker telling them what homework was required and it was from the afternoon teacher whose class they had missed, because of practice.

up
204 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Leigh Anne - Chapter 6

What a downer to get a homework assignment like that!

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Homework

Renee_Heart2's picture

Thats highschool for ya.

Love Samantha Renee Heart

Well Geri tried every trick in the book

Renee_Heart2's picture

And even a few that wern't in the book, but she still lost to Leigh. The girls did a good job telling her what Geri would try to do but & the prep worked. One thing that the other school didn't know it that Leigh knows the game as well as the pros do maybe better.

Love Samantha Renee Heart

I see, in the future...

Geri will fall in love and there will be a happy ever after!! G xx

Oops, surprise

Jamie Lee's picture

Geri found out her mouth was in better shape than her tennis. She may not want to agree but her anger helped her lose the match. Should she get that under control, she'd be a very good player.

The shocking thing about that match is Geri's reaction to Leigh's attitude after the match. She simply offered a competitive salutation, without any gloating.

Others have feelings too.