Lily's Magic : Chapter 4 (Final)

Printer-friendly version
Lily's Magic

by:
Elsbeth


Braden learns that his grandmother's stories might be true.

pixie.png

Chapter 4

So far, the morning had been fairly productive. The Teague’s, Rynder’s and the Nyberg’s had descended upon Breyana’s home. Most of the downstairs had already been packed, leaving the upstairs for after lunch.

“I’m happy to see that Bree and Sofia are getting along.” Rebecca Rynders and Eshne Teague sat at the dining room table going through documents. “She is going to need a lot of support from friends and family in the upcoming months.”

“I agree, poor child.” Eshne slipped an envelope to Rebecca with a smile.

Rebecca turned her head and gave the Coven’s High Councilor a look. “Really?” Opening the envelope, she flipped through the documents shaking her head. It had been less than a week since Bree's encounter with Black Mary. “If you ever need a job at my firm...” Reaching for a pen, she signed several sheets. “This will make the State happy and Breyana can now start school again on Monday, if she wants. Actually I half expected to see Child Services at my door.”

“That wouldn’t have happened, Rebecca.” Eshne said.

“Well thank you Eshne, very much. Or should I say thank you to the ‘Good Old Sister Network.” She laughed. Somehow, with very little fuss, Braden was now officially Breyana Rynders. Rebecca smiled; she was looking forward to having two girls in the house again. She wished her oldest daughter would come back home but Nichole decided she preferred to live with her father in California.

‘How do you feel about this, Rebecca, it must have come as quite a shock?”

“Well no more than finding out your daughter is a Sidhe Princes.” Rebecca knew it was of her daughter’s toughest days when she explained to her the truth about her heritage. As Arbitrator, it was often necessary for her to be away for days at a time. There was too much going on for Rebecca not to know. She didn’t believe it until Mab had actually appeared in the center of her living room. She was very proud of her daughter but she was, of course, always worried about her well-being.

“Did she ever tell you the story about her first adoptive parents? Michelle and Lawrence were also Coimirceoirá­.” She says the word slowly. “Michelle, with her dying breath saved my daughter’s life. Morgan knows that she can never repay them for what they did but she will protect Breyana with her dying breath if it became necessary.”

“Sandra, is there a problem?”

“Do you think that Bree would like to help pack up her parent’s room? Ray thinks that either you or Morgan should talk to her about it.” Sandra walked into the dining room carrying a small box of important documents.

Rebecca nodded sadly. “We talked a little bit last night. Her mother’s clothes she would like to donate. Her father’s belongings we will place in storage. She and Sophia are going through her sister’s things right now. I imagine most of that is going wind up at our house.” Quite a number of things were also going to be sold; the funds going into Breyana’s trust fund, other household items were going into storage. The home itself was going to be rented out to another family.

“Speaking of, where are the men?” Eshne looked around. It seemed her husband and son had disappeared as soon as they walked in the door.

Sandra smiled. “They are in the garage with Ray. I believe they are currently drooling over some lawnmower.”

The sound of glass breaking coming from the kitchen and a very loud bang from the garage startled all three women.

“I’ll take the kitchen.” Rebecca said.

Eshne and Sandra said. “We’ll see what the men are up to.”

In the field behind the Magrath home, a small circle of Pixies held court. If anyone had looked outside the windows, they would see nothing but the tall grass. Even Morgan, who sat off to the side listening could not be seen. Bria, Clan Chief of the pixies, who lived in the woods, stood on a small stump looking down at a very unhappy Lily. To Bria’s right hovered Xera, Keeper of Names and to Bria’s left hovered Eglantine her second in command.

“So Lily, explain to us how this mortal boy Braden, became a girl.” Bria commanded. There had been some confusion in the past few days of what exactly happened. At first, it was thought that the child was a girl, as she was able to see Lily when she healed him. No one was aware that the family was of the Coimirceoirá­ at the time.

Lily stood there fidgeting on one foot. “You see she was being chased by the Cw’n Annwn.”

“He was being chased, Lily.” Eglantine corrected her.

Lily nodded. “He was going to be captured by Black Mary. I didn’t know what else to do. The stupid dogs wouldn’t go away.” Lily was beginning to tear up.

“Go on.” Xera said softly.

Lilly nodded wiping the tears from her eyes. “So I willed myself as much as I could and threw my strongest magic at Braden.”

Bria looked confused. “You didn’t choose to turn him into a girl?”

Lily looked shook her head. “Well no, not really. I just wanted her…I mean him to be able to get away from the Cw’n Annwn. Actually it was a bit of a surprise.”

Xera looked down at the young Pixie warmly. “Lily, you know that it was possible for you to undo yourself calling upon that much magic.”

Lily nodded. “I didn’t know what else to do.”

“Xera do you know what happened?” Bria had never heard anything like this before.

Xera looked thoughtful for a second. “I believe that Lily channeled the power of Guardian of the forest. Braden’s family is that of the Coimirceoirá­. To have a Cailleach Feasa here to help protect it was desirable.”

“I thought that the Guardian was dead.” Morgan said. She had watched the Green Man die herself.

“His physical form perhaps but the true power lies in the Sacred Grove.”

“So the Sacred Grove turned him into a girl?” Eglantine looked at the forest in awe.

“Essentially.”

“So if Breyana wishes to be turned back into a boy?” Bria asked.

Xera shook her head. “She is Cailleach Feasa, the forest has chosen her.” Dropping to the ground the Keeper of Names walked up to Lily. “Now what to do about you? Even if the Princess didn’t suggest it, I would take you in as my Apprentice.”

Lily squeaked. “Apprentice?”

“I believe it will be safer for all of us, don’t you agree?” She smiled kindly at the young white haired Pixie.

“What about Breyana?” Lily really didn’t want to leave her friend’s side.

Bria looked up at Morgan who nodded.

“Well for now you will remain with her.” Bria said. “Zinnia and Iris will also help you.”

Morgan smiled; Zinnia was a very cool-headed Pixie. She should be able to keep the other two out of any real trouble.

littlefairy.png

Breyana walked through the woods in a dreamlike state. The forest was so green, so alive with color. The young girl learned the name of the animals and the plants. She learned what was poisonous and what was safe to use. There was so much to learn. Her mentor, who taught her woodcraft in her dreams, took the form that looked a lot like her grandmother. Breyana knew that it was not her but the guardian still gave off the same warmth and love.

The time she had spent with the Rynders had so far been like a dream as well. She missed her family terribly but Morgan and her mother made sure they were always there for support.

“Bree time to wake up sleepy head.” Rebecca Rynders opened up the curtains revealing a cloudy day. “Smells like snow.”

Breyana rubbed her eyes and grinned. Snowfall had been lacking so far this year but everyone had been talking about the front that was supposed to roll in during lunch.

“Mom, do I really have to wear this?” Morgan entered the room holding up a short dark green dress trimmed with white fur.

“Everyone is dressing up for the party Morgan.” Rebecca said. She knew her daughter was still working on growing out of her tomboy phase. It was only in the last month that she was willing to wear a skirt and only because Abigail bought it for her.

“But I am going to look like an elf.” Morgan whined just a little.

Breyana began to giggle.

Morgan stuck out her tongue.

“Please Morgan, I helped pick them out.” Breyana then turned on her lost puppy dog look.

Morgan cried out in anguish, she had no defenses when Breyana did that. “Fine Bree, only because you picked it out. “ Putting her head down in defeat, she turned around. “I’m going to go take a shower.”

Rebecca smiled, between Abigail, herself and now Breyana, Morgan didn’t stand a chance.

Malcolm Kincaid greeted the Rynders as they came through the front door of the Kincaid’s Longhouse. “Welcome to our Winter Celebration.” He smiled at the three women as he passed their jackets to the coatroom attendant.

“Thank you, Malcolm.” Rebecca reached over and gave him a kiss on the cheek. “You look very handsome.” He was dressed in a light and dark grey-collared shirt and slacks.

“Mrs. Summers said when you arrived to meet them in the green room.”

Rebecca nodded pulling several bottles of some sort of red liquid out of a shopping bag. “Well off to spread some holiday cheer, you two be good.” She kissed both girls and went off to find the others.

Morgan gave her mom a strange look. “Mal, what exactly are they doing?”

“Making punch.” He smiled; looking at Morgan, he noticed for the first time what she was wearing. The green dress was short, stopping well above the knees. Black boots and a green and white Santa hat finished the outfit. “Wow, Morgan.”

“Oh you like it?” Morgan looked down at her outfit. The dress was way too short though the boots were really nice. She thought she really did look like an elf.

“Yea, it’s great.” The young man said trying to catch his breath.

“I helped picked it out.” Breyana smiled. She knew Morgan looked really pretty. She was dressed in a similar outfit but the dress went past her knees and it actually had sleeves. Like Morgan, she really liked her new boots.

Malcolm smiled at Bree; perhaps he could get her to pick out other clothes for Morgan. Shivering, he remembered the bathing suit Morgan wore the first time he met her. Perhaps Abigail will stay home tonight and his brother will fall in the pool or something. “Michael was asking for you?”

“Oh really.” Bree blushed.

Morgan smiled. “Charlie’s eldest right?”

Ignoring Morgan, Bree asked. “Is Sophia here yet?” They had arrived a little early so Rebecca could help with some of the preparations.

Malcolm shook his head. “Not yet but everyone else is downstairs in the game room.” The Kincaid’s had always invited members of the Coven to the Winter Celebration every year but it was rare for them to attend. He knew Morgan’s arrival to the town would bring other changes as well.

Waving, Breyana went off to wait for her friend. She had to laugh, Malcolm so wanted to be alone with Morgan. Too bad, she saw Abigail and her Aunt’s car driving into the parking lot.

“I like that Michael boy too.” Lily said riding comfortably on Bree’s shoulder. All three Pixies were dressed exactly like Morgan.

“What, I didn’t say I liked him.” Bree objected then blushed again. She admitted he was very cute. The idea of liking boys now didn’t really seem to bother her anymore.

“Whatever, Bree.” Iris giggled hovering nearby.

“I see that Abigail is here I need to speak to Xera.” One of Abigail’s watchers was the Clan’s Keeper of Names.

“Zinnia we’re supposed to have fun tonight.” Lily said. She was still a little afraid of being the Keeper’s apprentice. Zinnia just smiled, she knew exactly why Lily was objecting.

A shadow passing caused all three Pixies to stop talking even Breyana felt it. “Who was that?” She asked nervously.

“Sile Martin.” Lily was now hiding inside Bree’s hair. The Baobhan Sith had been given sanctuary by the Princess over the summer. “Why do you think she is here?”

“She is the town’s Historian.” Zinnia watched the Scottish Vampire glide towards Morgan.

Breyana thought that Sile had felt like Black Mary but she realized she was different. “We are going to the Historical Society house next month for a field trip.” The young girl decided it should be an interesting visit.

Late in the afternoon, Sofia and Breyana sat on the other side of a wide glass door watching the first snowflakes fall. Most of the others were playing games in the other room, while the parents and older children were mingling upstairs.

“Do they ever close the schools because of snow?” Breyana asked.

“Not really. Did they close in your last school?”

“When we lived in South Carolina, even at the hint of snow they closed the schools.” Bree giggled. She remembered rushing with her sister and mother to the store to buy milk and eggs.

“Breyana” The wind whispered. For a moment, she thought it sounded like her mother.

“Did you say something, Sofia?”

“Breyana sweetie, I need to speak to you.” The wind whispered again.

Bree reached for the lock on the door.

“Where are you going?” Both Sofia and Zinnia asked at the same time.

Breyana giggle. “I just want to stand in the snow for a moment.” Could her mother be here? She still remembered the dream with her grandmother.

“I think we should go back inside, Bree.” Lily felt something was wrong. The white haired Pixie could hear the voice on the wind as well. Turning to Iris, she commanded. “Get Xera and Bria now.” Iris was stunned at Lily’s change of demeanor. The Pixie nodded and flew away as fast as her little wings could take her.

“Zinnia, please keep an eye on Sofia.”

Zinnia smiled at the command and took to the air; she had already drawn a slender blade.

“What is that?” Sofia asked. Down the stairs in front of the pool, shadows were flying around in circles.

“I think they’re birds.” Both girls stopped at the top of the stairs.

The shadows began to slow down, take shape. “Breyana I have marked you.” The form was a shadowy outline of a familiar old woman.

“Bree.” Sofia said backing away nervously. Breyana simply stepped in front of her friend.

“I have marked you child and I will come to feast on your bones, and drink your blood. I will...”

Neither girl could hear the rest of what Black Mary’s shadow had to say because an empty glass bottle flew passed them, making a whirling noise. Arcing high above the pair, the bottle landed right where the shadow was standing and exploded. Like a bomb going off, it tore the shadow in shreds, sending bits of bird everywhere, which faded into nothing.

“Stupid birds.” Sile stepped forward taking a sip from another glass beer bottle. “You Coimirceoirá­ are always causing problems. Doesn’t worry about the mark, Hags make a big deal about it. “Looking down at the stunned girls, the Scottish Vampire grinned. “So she is coming for you, big deal. When she does, just remember not to be alone.”

"How long?" Sofia said her fists clinched.

"Pardon?"

"How long till she returns?"

Sile took a sip of her beer and thought for a moment. "Not that long, maybe twenty or thirty years."

Sofia stood agape, twenty or thirty years. "Don't worry then, she wont be alone."

"Sofia." Breyana smiled with tears in her eyes.

Turning to go back in the house Sile suddenly stopped and pointed at the young Cailleach Feasa. “And you, stay away from my kitchen.”

Throwing herself into Bree's hair, Lily squeaked. “Yes Miss Sile.”

Taking another sip from her bottle, the Baobhan Sith whispered. “Stupid Pixies.”

“Sofia, can you give us a second?” Both girls were surprised to find that Morgan was also standing behind them.

Wrapping her arms around the trembling young girl, Morgan said. “Little sister you can’t be going off where angels fear to tread...at least not without me. “

“I’m sorry.”

Kissing her on the forehead, Morgan reached for Bree’s hand. “Good, alright enough fun for one day, let’s go back in before we all catch cold.”

littlefairy.png

Breyana walked through the halls of her old school happily. She couldn’t believe that she actually spoke to her father through her dreams again last night. He was sitting in front of a small pond with an easel on his lap. Looking like he did before her mother’s accident, her father looked relaxed, almost happy. Still he wasn’t exactly better; the shadows had not lifted from his eyes. However, there was a promise that someday they would meet again but right now, they could visit in her dreams.

“Breyana Rynders you better hurry along, you’re going to be late for class.” Miss Shisaa, one of the school’s gym teachers, was herding a number of other students to class. As usual, several of the buses were late. Giving the teacher a friendly wave, she scurried off to her home room right before the first bell rang.

“Oh, I love those shoes.” Sofia greeted her as Breyana slipped into her desk.

“Thanks, I got them at Zoe’s over the weekend.” Bree was amazed how much her world had changed in a few short months. She wouldn’t have thought back before the holidays, she would be speaking to Sofia about shoes.

“You’re still coming to the workshop tomorrow night right?”

“Of course.”

Sofia leaned closer. “Abby said that Morgan might join you.”

“So far.”

Sofia leaned back and smiled. “Cool.”

Breyana giggled. Who would have known that Sofia’s family were Witches. “You ready to start the day, Lily?” Breyana whispered to her best friend.

“You bet.” The Pixie was sitting comfortably on her shoulder. Iris hovered nearby and Zinnia had already leaped over to Sofia to snuggle into her neck.

Lily had accidently introduced her into a new world. It might be scary at times, horrifying even but there was beauty and wonder too. Breyana was looking forward to learning as much as she could and it was all thanks to Lily’s Magic.


Authors Notes: So this concludes Lily's Magic. I hope that everyone has enjoyed this story. Originally it was written as a short story but I was talked into making it longer. I'm very glad I did. And before you ask, you will be seeing Breyana and Lily again. A special thanks to djkauf for a little elvish editing he has done with this and all my other stories. Thanks to all for reading!

Go raibh maith agaibh

- Elsbeth

up
233 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

And you, stay away from my kitchen

Lily's my hero :) would love to know what she did to Sile's kitchen...Great story!

++++++++++++
Cartman: A fine day of plundering we had boys. What about yourselves? Here you are lads, plenty of booty to go around. A round of grog for me boys. A round of grog for everyone!

I imagine...

Elsbeth will keep that as a Noodle Incident. It also suggests that what made Lily hide in Bree's hair wasn't so much fear of Sile per se, but fear of what punishment Sile would impose on Lily for whatever she did in the kitchen...


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

very nice wrap up

when that hag returns, she may have wished shedidn't.
great story, thanks

gave me a smile

Dear Elsbeth thank you for this sweet kind story I so enjoyed it and had a smile on my face thank you for that it was nice how you pulled the story arc and mixed it with people from other stories Lily rocks and who knew that Sile the scottish vampire was a softy at heart hehehe lol please do more if you can I love the pixie story arc happy 4th

christi

Lovely story

and great editing. I was a little confused in the beginning of chapter one when the story suddenly changed track but I soon caught on and became engrossed. I couldn't stop until the end. Thank you.

Lily's Magic : Chapter 4 (Final)

Love the story and the images you used. You have me wondering if a certain ageless boy and his blond pixie friend will show up.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

This really

Like all of your stories, but this one has a special place. :) Pixies and the Fae just being themselves with sweet cuteness and extraordinary bravery when trouble show its face.

I also enjoy how you mix the everyday events with the fantasy. The move worrying about the guys and yet talking about Bree's future. The Christmas party was even better really projecting that feel of holiday tumultuous feel with the grimness of winter and the Hag's mark.

Sile's guest appearance was nice too. I'm guess we won't ever learn what happened when Lily visited the kitchen but it's nice to imagine! :)

Big Hugs
Grover

PS: I loved the pictures and scene dividers too!

I like it!

But it does leave me wondering only one thing... Why in the world does Sile care the Pixies are raiding her kitchen? It's not like she's going to be using it for much of anything. :P

Peace be with you and Blessed be

THe answer to that question

We find out why Sile tells Lily to stay out of her kitchen in chapter 11 of Real Monsters. Lily blew up Sile's kitchen making tea.

Awesome

only Lily can blow up a kitchen making tea..and i thought i was bad in the kitchen..awesome..:D

++++++++++++
Cartman: A fine day of plundering we had boys. What about yourselves? Here you are lads, plenty of booty to go around. A round of grog for me boys. A round of grog for everyone!

I was wrong!

This might be better than not knowing what happened to Sile's kitchen. I've heard of folks who can't boil water, but blow up a kitchen making tea? That's take real talent! Now we'll wonder how that happened. :)
hugs.
Grover

More please....

This is a neat little story that seems like it could use some more length or a sequel. :-)

Blessed Be

Love the story, Thank you. part two would be nice with a little more on her friend on the school bus?
Blessed Be
Love and Hugs Hanna

Love And Hugs Hanna
((((((((♥)))))))((((((((♥)))))))((((((((♥)))))))((((((((♥)))))))((((((((♥)))))))
Blessed Be
2889.jpg

Blessed Be

Elsbeth's picture

I'm happy you liked the story and yes, I do have another story in the works with the girls. :)

Thanks for reading

hugs

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Way to short

Diesel Driver's picture

Really like this story. Glad to hear that it's only the beginning.

Chris

liketed it [how do you spell that anyway ?]

a lot of names kept me wondering who was who again
but overall it was fun stuf
i realy like she scottish vampire in all the story,s
i think i like her stile drinking beer strait from the bottle ,a bit grumpy and not crying and hugging all the time .
maby she ,no i would like a story where she and the motorcyclegirl sofie green form a couple .
after a big battle and her getting well again wit help from the coven shrink and some hot action with/from syle :)
oke i confes i have a dirty mind

Nice One!

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

I like pixie stories.

*does a loop de loop Leaving a trail of glittering pixie dust*
~Hypatia >i< ..:::

These little pixies do such a

These little pixies do such a great job of lifting
my spirit and helping to make the day a bit brighter.

alissa