Leigh Anne - Chapter 5

Printer-friendly version

Leigh Anne - Chapter 5
by Barbara Lynn Terry

Geraldine Smythe pulled in to the drive way and everybody helped take the bags to Leigh's room. Leigh immediately opened her closet door, and was looking to see where she could hang her tennis outfits, without having to move a lot of clothes. She decided that the left side of the closet was for her tennis outfits, and the right side was for her dresses, skirts and blouses. Her jeans and tees she could put in her dresser.

After everything was hung up, Leigh had the dual, green colored tennis dress out in front, because she was going to wear that for Wednesday's game.

"Patty, what did Geri mean when she called me a 'hacker'?"

"It is a slang tennis term that many competitions and players don't use any more. It means you're a beginner."

"Oh, am I, now? Well, Miss Geri, we will just see about that."

"Remember Leigh, keep a cool head and don't let her intimidate you. She thinks she is the cat's meow on the court. Just play the game the way you always have, and everything will work out."

"Oh, I intend to. But, even though I can play good, doesn't mean I will win. It will take the effort of the entire squad to win the games. If we can win most of the games, we will go to state. But we are judged on behavior as well as game points, so don't worry. I will be a lady first, a tennis player second."

"Good girl. That is why we wanted you on the squad, Leigh. Don't worry about anybody else, including the rest of us. You just play the game the way you always have."

"Well, anyway, I am wearing this green dress for Wednesday's game."

"Oh, and that reminds me, sister Leigh. We, the squad that is, bought you something you can use."

"Like what?"

"Like this," Patty said, handing Leigh a package."

Leigh opened it and found five pair of small nylon/spandex undergarments.

"What are these? Panties?"

"They are called gaffes. They will help hide those embarrassing male parts that you don't want showing. This way when you prepare for the ball from your opponent, everybody, especially the guys, will see a cute female butt." Leigh blushed when Patty said that.

"I don't think I know how to hide them that well."

"Would you like a little help, Leigh? I looked at the site where we got them from, and it said you have to push the testicles in to the hollow just above them, and push the penis up and as far back as you can. When it is done correctly, nobody will be able to tell that you're actually a male. There is something else I saw online too, that maybe in the future, like for next season, you might want to try. But, you can just use these for this season."

"Let's try it and see."

For the few hours, Patty, her mother, and Leigh's mother, helped Leigh with the gaffes. The first few times, was not a good result, but as they continued to practice with the gaffes, they finally got Leigh's appearance to that of a girl in the groin area.

"Leigh, you are going to knock the boys dead with those looks," Maggie said, as she helped Leigh with her dress.

"Thank you, Mrs. Langston." Maggie just smiled.

Nobody was embarrassed by helping Leigh, because Patty had already told her mother about Leigh. Maggie had told Patty that as long as the tennis squad was okay with it, so was she.

Leigh had not known that Patty had told her mother about her, but she thought that maybe that was good, too, because then there would be no misconceptions later. Leigh thought that since Patty's mother now knew about her, then maybe, just maybe, the other girls on the other teams would not be so belligerent when they found out that Leigh had a lot of support.

Geri actually knew about Leigh, but accepted her as a girl. Of course if you ever saw Leigh, you would see right away that being a girl was really right for her.

"Patty, what outfit are you wearing for Wednesday's game?"

"I have a dark green tennis skirt, with a light green top. I figure since you want to wear your green dress for the game, I will wear my green outfit, as well."

"Good. Maybe the whole squad could coordinate so our outfits look similar in color."

"I will talk to them, Leigh, I don't see anybody objecting. By the way, how long have you known how to shop like a girl?"

"Patty, shopping isn't a mysterious male or female function. You just look around until you find what you're looking for."

"Most guys just go in the store," Patty added, "grab a pair of jeans and maybe a shirt, and off they go the pay for them. How do you know that you have found what you're looking for?"

"Simple, silly, that is what the looking around is for. Most girls I know don't have a clue what they are looking for until they have found it. It is nothing mysterious, but it is like the song says, you 'gotta shop around'. That is true for clothes as well as guys."

"So, when we asked you to join the squad, you were secretly thinking, 'it's about time someone accepted me as a girl'. Weren't you?"

"Yes, Patty."

"Girlfriend, is that why you always sat by yourself in the cafeteria?"

"Mainly," Leigh answered Patty, looking at the floor.

"Leigh, when we asked you to join the squad, we were serious about you being one of the girls. I mean, look at this way. How many boys spell their name L E I G H? None that I know of, except for one, and she isn't even a boy."

"Thank you, Patty. I really appreciate that," Leigh responded, starting to cry.

"Leigh, what's wrong? Why are you crying?"

"I'm just so happy that I don't have to live two lives any more. I loved shopping for my clothes, today. I had dreamt about doing that for a few years, now. Even though shopping isn't necessarily male or female, there are subtle differences as to how each sex does shop though. While guys rush at it, we like to take our time, and make sure we have found everything that we were 'looking' for."

"Leigh, did you just hear yourself? You included yourself in the girl shopping part."

"Yes," Leigh said, with a smile. "I guess I did. Didn't I?"

"Leigh, do you know what a minx is?"

"Not really, even though mother has called me that a few times."

"Well, it is a girl who enjoys being a girl and uses a coy way of getting what she wants. She sometimes accidentally, on purpose, will use what we call feminine wiles. You seem to use them without thinking. Leigh, you may have a male body, but you are definitely no boy."

"Thank you, Mrs. Langston."

The experience of being accepted as a girl, and trying hard to show a strong front, Leigh was actually caught in a maelstrom of emotions. From happy, to sad, to strong, to weak, to adjusting, to confused. But today, these all hit her at one time. Leigh was reeling because she now was a part of something, with everybody's approval, that she had wished for since starting high school. Well, maybe wished for, before starting high school. She couldn't help but think this was all too good to be true.

Leigh went out on the front porch, and sat in the porch swing.

"Girl, get your ass back in the house, you'll freeze out here."

"Huh? Oh! How did I get out here?"

"Leigh, are you all right? You seem to be in a daze."

"Patty, let's go to my room, I need to talk to you and Darlene."

"All right."

As they passed through the living room, Patty motioned for Darlene to follow.

"Mom, we are going up to my room, so we can talk."

"Are you all right, dear?"

"I'm not sure, mom. I feel like I got hit by a fast moving train." Geraldine Smythe moved to hug her daughter.

"Leigh, you just need to slow down a little, relax, and let things take their natural course. There was a reason I kept your name spelled the way it is, and I am looking at her. You are beautiful as a girl, Leigh. I am very proud of you."

"Thank you, mom. We will be in my room."When they got to Leigh's room, Patty and Darlene sat on the bed while Leigh sat on her vanity bench.

"Alright, girlfriend, spill. You look like something the cat dragged in but forget to take it back out."

"Well, you two have been in my corner with the rest of the squad. Tomorrow we play against Gaynor High. Geri, as I understand it, is their top player. But that isn't what is bothering me. It is her whole attitude. Are her parents rich?"

"Well, not in a millionaire or billionaire kind of way, but her father does own his own company. They make plastic clothes hangers.

"Look, Leigh, don't worry about Geri. She's just jealous that we couldn't find anybody that isn't so good at the game. She lives two and a half blocks from the school in that big white and brown house that looks like it was the model for a horror movie."

"Every time I go by that house," Darlene added, "I get the shivers down my spine. That house creeps me out. So Miss Watkins thinks she is going to win because she thinks she intimidated you. We will see what tomorrow brings. Just remember, this is only a game, so don't let her get the best of you. Is there something else bothering you, Leigh?"

"Yes, Patty. It's this whole thing. I mean, if you girls hadn't asked me to be on the tournaments, I don't think I would have gotten this far in the short time that I have. I was looking up transgender medical sites, and a lot of the doctors even said that it takes about two to three years from the first hormone pill to srs. I mean, that must have been Casey Jones in that train engine, it went by so fast."

"Settle down, Leigh. Take deep breaths in through the nose and out through the mouth. Do this several times. It helps me when I feel the world on my shoulders."

"Darlene, I have never been in a situation like this. It seems to be ripping me from two ends like in a tug of war. Well, I have the rest of my life to get used to it, I guess. So, anyway, want to listen to CDs?" Everybody agreed.

As they were doing their dance steps, Leigh's mother came up to the room.

"Girls, there is someone here and she says she if from the MHSAA and wants to talk to Leigh."

They all went downstairs, and instead of the feared old lady with grey hair, they saw a woman younger than Leigh's mother, sitting in the living room.

"Which one is Leigh?"

"I am, ma'am."

"I am Debbie Constantine from the MHSAA. When we were requested to allow a transgendered male to female person to play on a girls tennis team, we became concerned. I was expecting to see a boy in a dress looking nothing like a girl should. I am very happy that is not the case. Anyway, Leigh, you have been approved to play for the Hampton Lady Tigers on their tennis team. I understand that you have a game against Gaynor High tomorrow. Good luck."

"Miss Constantine, do we have to wear tennis outfits in the school colors?"

"Yes, It is required by the rules of the MHSAA. Even, if you go to State, or National, you are required to wear tennis clothes in the school colors, because you will be representing your school. When you play away games, you must wear a white tennis ensemble."

"Thank you, Miss Constantine.

"Good luck tomorrow, ladies." Debbie Constantine left.

"What just happened?" Leigh asked, looking dazed.

"I'm not sure. I think it was Santa Claus who came a little early. Welcome to the squad, Leigh."

"Thank you, Patty. I think this calls for chocolate cake and and a Sierra Mist."

"Not before dinner, young lady. Which reminds me, we should get it started. Are you girls staying over for dinner?"

"I have to call my mom and ask."

"Patty, your mother is still here, so, Darlene, why don't you call your mother and tell them they are invited to dinner also. I think we should all talk about what just happened."

Pretty soon, after Darlene called her mother, the phone Rang at the Smythe house. When Leigh's mother answered it, she was informed that the entire squad would be coming, and the mothers are bringing a dish to share. She went to tell everybody else.

"I have created a monster!" Patty declared, throwing up her arms in mock indignation. Everybody giggled.

"Well, this will be good, because then the whole squad can talk about our tactics for tomorrow. Hmmm, I wonder if we could sneak in to the Gaynor locker room and put tar on their shoes." Everybody was in stitches when Leigh said that.

What they didn't know, is the block was being filled with cars from the girls parents. The first two arrived, and were let in. After hugs, and greetings, they all went in the living room, and found a place to sit. Leigh and Carol were in the kitchen getting the dinner sorted.

"Mom, we are going to have a lot of people here tonight. How are we going to do this so there is enough for everyone?"

"We will just have to make two pans of meatloaf, instead of just one. That way we should have enough for everybody to have one slice. Dear, get out the over large salad bowl, and make the salad, please."

"Yes, mom."

Leigh got out their party salad bowl, and Leigh started rinsing the vegetables. Leigh then shredded the lettuce, cut three carrots, three celery lengths, three green peppers and then sprinkled some shredded cheddar cheese on the top. Leigh then took a picnic tongs and tossed the salad. She put it in the fridge, and went to help her mother make the meatloaf. While her mother did one pan, Leigh did the other.

____________________________________________________________________________
I am sorry this is a short chapter, but it set up the plot for the next one.

up
201 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Accepted as a girl

Renee_Heart2's picture

At long last the whole team accepts Leigh as a girl & the high school athletic association accepts her as well now for a team get together & a small house sounds interesting.

Love Samantha Renee Heart

Leigh Anne - Chapter 5

Now for her body to match up with who she is.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Welcome to the team

Jamie Lee's picture

All of that shopping shows Leigh is serious about playing on the girls tennis team.

And the food fest helps prove the other girls accept her as well.

Can she relax enough for her first match? Or will everything she's feeling cause her problems?

Others have feelings too.