Project Guardian: Book 2, Chapter 11.

Printer-friendly version

 

Chapter Eleven of Fourteen

Previously...

    Alice had just finished with her makeup when there was a knock on the door and they both saw Pamela poke her head around to see if she was okay.

    “I’m sorry about your father Alice, but he still hasn’t come to grips with what happened.” Pamela said as she stepped into the room and tried to give Alice a hug, but Alice backed away again.

     “We can’t do this Pamela.” Alice snapped looking angry. “I blame you just as much as I blame him for what happened.” Alice said as she forced her way past her mother to return to the lab.

    Alexis was left in the restroom with her mother while she put away the makeup Alice had left there with her purse that Alexis had grabbed from the draw in the small room they had to leave their things in as they entered and left the lab.

     “I’m sorry that my daughter gives you such a tough time Miss Cliff. She wasn’t always this way.” Pamela said as she watched the woman cleaning everything away again.

     “I don’t know all the details Mrs Farrey, but from what I do understand, Miss Farrey has every reason to be mad with both of you.” Alexis said using all her control to not scream at her mother for an answer as to why she just let their father do what he did.

     “Please call me Pamela.” She smiled at Alexis in hope of finding some more things out about her daughter from the one person who knew her better than anyone.

     “I’m sorry Mrs Farrey, but Miss Farrey wouldn’t be happy if I started doing that.” Alexis said as she finished putting everything away and then stepped around Pamela to get out the restroom. “Please excuse me Mrs Farrey.” Alexis added just before she left the room with the sound of her heels clicking loudly in her ears.

    Alexis was finding it hard to believe that she had just been in a restroom inches from her mother and her mother had no idea that she was stood talking to her dead son, who was now a woman and playing protector to their daughter who was a spy trying to track down whoever it was selling the designs for the next generation missile guidance system.

Now the story continues...

    Alice was stood waiting to get in the lab when Alexis got back to the doors. Alexis remembered that Alice had left the lab in a rush, leaving her ID card behind, so Alexis got a move on. Alice opened her mouth to speak, but stopped when she saw the door open. Alice expected to see her father step out the room, but it was a man in a suit, but neither of them had ever met this man before.

     “I should fire you for keeping me waiting here so long Miss Cliff!” Alice snapped once she’d recovered from the shock of seeing some stranger coming out of the lab.

     “I’m sorry Miss Farrey, please forgive me?” Alexis asked as she ran the last couple of feet and went to put the ID card on the scanner.

     “You don’t need to do that if the door is already open Miss.” The man said with a smile as he looked Alexis up and down with a grin. He then looked at Alice and lost the smile as he looked her up and down.

    Alexis was beginning to see that not all men liked their women skinny or fit looking. She thought it would make her going undercover with Alice much easier, and also mean she could wear body armour as well. If she could find some way to get her helmet worked into the disguise, it would be perfect.

     “Thank you Mr?” Alexis said in a questioning way.

     “Mr Blonde.” The man said with a grin.

    Alexis just frowned as she wondered if the man was playing with her and he was just a big fan of Reservoir Dogs, or if he was unlucky enough to have that as a last name.

     “Thank you Mr Blonde.” Alexis smiled. “I hope your favourite song isn’t Stuck in the middle with you?” Alexis giggled.

     “No.” He laughed. “But it is a good film though.” He added with a grin.

     “Come along Miss Cliff.” Alice said as she walked into the room so Alexis could place her purse back in the tray she’d taken it from when they left the lab to go to the restroom to begin with.

     “I’m sorry, but I seem to have gotten you in trouble with you colleague.” Mr Blonde said looking a little sad.

     “Don’t worry about it; I’m always doing something wrong.” Alexis whispered with a roll of her eyes.

     “I hope we get to meet again under different circumstances Miss Cliff.” Mr Blonde said as he lifted Alexis’s hand and then kissed the back of it before he turned and walked down the hallway and around a corner.

     “I see I will have to keep you on a much tighter leash in the future Miss Cliff.” Alice said in a stern voice, but when Alexis looked at her, Alice was grinning.

    Alexis just looked down at her own temporary plump body and shrugged as to why he would find her attractive to begin with. “I’m sorry if men find me more attractive than you Miss Farrey.” Alexis said just before sticking her tongue out at her.

    Alice just frowned as she waited for Alexis to put her purse away for her and then she watched as Alexis checked the tray that had her own purse in. Alexis had placed the purse in the tray a specific way so she’d know if anyone touched it why she wasn’t around, and she could tell right away that it was in the wrong pace, so someone had been looking in it.

     “Miss Farrey? Do you mind if we take an early lunch break today?” Alexis asked looking nervous, or Brenda looked nervous as it was.

    Alice knew that this meant they had a problem and they needed to get off the grounds and make a call to Lana to let her know and to find out what was going on. Alexis was getting a bad feeling about this place, and she didn’t think it was a case of one person stealing secrets anymore, but a much larger problem. She just wondered how involved their parents were in it all.

    They went back into the lab and found Paul busy on the computer finishing up the changes Alice had asked for. He looked over at Alice quickly and then just carried on doing his work in quiet. Alice and Alexis both thought the way Alice snapped at him must have hurt, so he was keeping quiet to stop anymore blow outs from happening.

    Pamela returned just after they got in the lab and they all carried on working in quiet while Alice would order Alexis around every now and then just to remind her parents she was in the room.

    Alice had Alexis looking over some printouts at a desk when she noticed Pamela looking at Alexis in a strange way. When Alice turned to look at Alexis in her Brenda disguise she realised what their mother was looking at oddly. Alexis was reading the data and rolling the pan in and out of her fingers just like Alex use to do when he was studying something. It was something Alexis and Alice had never thought about before now, and only their mother would remember something like that.

     “Miss Cliff!” Alice shouted, making them all jump apart from her. “Can you pass me that pen and paper for a second?” Alice ordered as she held out her hand for the pen Alexis had just been rolling through her fingers.

     “Yes Miss Farrey, right away.” Alexis said jumping up and taking the pad and pen to Alice.

     “I need you to look through all that data again, but look out for this piece of code.” Alice said as she wrote down something on the pad and then handed it back to Alexis.

    Alexis looked at the pad expecting to see just what Alice had said it would be, a piece of code, and it was a piece of code, but code of a different sort.

    Alice was warning Alexis to stop playing with the pen like she was; because mum was watching her and working things out they didn’t want her working out. Alexis gave Alice a worried look that then turned to a puzzled one when they both realised that Pamela was looking at them.

     “Are you sure this is the right piece of code Miss Farrey?” Alexis asked trying to cover the strange way they were looking at each other.

     “Are you questioning me?” Alice asked in an annoyed way as she snatched the pad back off Alexis and looked at the code she’d wrote. “I stand corrected Miss Cliff.” Alice said as she scribbled out the code she wrote and then wrote another one that was a line from the chip programming this time.

     “Sorry Miss Farrey.” Alexis said as she went back to the desk and carried on looking through the data printouts.

     “You could be nicer to Miss Cliff, Alice. Just because she’s not as smart as you, doesn’t make her any less of a person and it never hurts to be polite.” Pamela said in a scolding motherly way.

    Alexis gave Pamela a genuine warm smile when she heard her telling Alice off. It reminded Alexis of growing up and how their mother would always make them do the right thing and be nice to everyone. Alexis knew that watching Alice treat another human being like she was must be killing her inside.

     “Miss Cliff and I have an understanding and its worked well for us so far Pamela.” Alice said as she kept scrolling through the data and changing bits as she went.

     “Why do you call each other Miss Cliff and Miss Farrey all the time?” Pamela asked with anger in her voice. “What’s wrong with Alice and? What is your first name Miss Cliff?” Pamela asked when she realised she still didn’t know her daughters assistants first name.

     “It’s Brenda Mrs Farrey.” Alexis said as she looked up quickly and then returned to working on the data printouts again.

     “It’s nice to meet you Brenda. I’m Pamela and that’s Paul sat over there.” Pamela said as she looked at Alice daring her to say a word. “I insist that you call us both by our first names.” Pamela added with the same look in her eyes as she looked at Alice, still daring her to say something.

     “Fine! You may call them by their first names if you wish Miss Cliff, but if I hear you call me by my first name, you will be looking for a new job.” Alice said with warning in her voice as she said the last part.

     “Yes Miss Farrey, I understand fully Miss Farrey.” Alexis said as she made it sound like Alice really scared her for some reason.

    Alexis looked at Pamela and saw her wink at her with a smile on her face, like she’d just won a small victory over her daughter. Alexis smiled back, and had more memories of growing up and spending time with her mother, or Alex spending time with his mother. The trouble was every time Alexis had one of them pleasant memories, it was soon over shadowed by the memory of her parents walking back into the house as the police drove Alex away in a police cruiser, while Sarah stood and watched him being taken away.

    Pamela thought Brenda looked nice as she smiled back at her, but Pamela sat and watched the happy smile turn to sadness before settling on angry, and then Brenda shook her head like she was trying to get rid of a bad memory before she went back to doing her work.

    Alexis made a conscious effort to not play with the pen like she’d been doing earlier when Pamela noticed what she was doing. Alexis hoped that Pamela would just think it was something she’d picked up off Alice, after working together for so long. It had been something the two of them did, so Alexis never tried to stop herself from doing it before now, but then she’d never been on a mission where she had to make her parent think she was someone different while keeping her sister safe.

    It was soon lunchtime and Alice and Alexis got ready to leave, but not before being stopped my Pamela. “Alice? I was wondering if you and Brenda wanted to join your father and I for some lunch?” Pamela looked hopeful that Alice would say yes, but it faded when she saw the look Alice had when she turned to give her mother an answer.

     “I’m barely able to work with you and Paul.” Alice said with emphasis on the word ‘Paul’. “So how do you expect me to try and eat with the two of you sat across the table from me?” Alice asked before she turned and left the lab, waiting out in the hallway for Alexis to stop and get their purses on her way out.

    Alexis thought Alice had gone a little too far with the last comment, but then Alexis had no idea what sort of life Alice had had living with the two of them while she was in prison. Alexis also found herself feeling sorry for their mother, as she seemed to be hurting as much; if not more than Alice was right now being so close and yet so hated by her own daughter. Alexis was going to have words with Alice, and see if she could maybe get her to cut their mother some slack.

    Alice and Alexis was nearly to their car when they heard a man’s voice calling to them, well calling to Alice. So they both stopped and turned to see Brad Jones the Company director running over to them from the main building.

     “I hope you’ve not had enough already Alice?” Brad asked as he got his breath back.

     “No, not at all Brad. Miss Cliff and I just need to run a couple of errands during our lunch break.” Alice said as she looked at Alexis to unlock the car and open the door for her. “I’ll be back in an hour if you wish to talk to me about something.” Alice added as she got in the car and then waited for Brad to speak so Alexis could close the door.

     “I was hoping we could talk over lunch.” Brad said sounding disappointed.

     “Maybe tomorrow Brad. With just getting in town this morning, Miss Cliff and I need to go and sort out a couple of things before this evening.” Alice said as she looked at Alexis to close the car door to let Brad know the talk was now over.

    Alexis closed the car door and then smiled at Brad before walking around to the driver’s side and getting behind the wheel. Alexis was proud of how her sister had just handled Brad trying to get her to join them for lunch. Alexis got the impression that Brad was trying to stop Alice leaving Diablo for some reason.

     “I look forward to it!” Brad shouted through the closed door.

    Alice just smiled at him as she waited for Alexis to back up and then pull away, as she made her way back out onto the road and then headed for the freeway that led into the city.

    Once they were on the road, Alexis placed hers and Alice’s purses in the glove box and then pushed a button on the dash as she looked at a readout on the navigation screen. Alexis pushed a couple more buttons to make sure the car hadn’t been bugged while they were inside Diablo Tech, but the car was fitted with the same alarm system her Mustang had, so if anyone had tried to get into it, she’d have had a message on her phone, and Bill and Ted would have let her know as well.

     “Just as I thought.” Alexis said after an alarm started going off as a red warning sign started flashing on the navigation screen. “They’ve planted a bug in my purse.” Alexis said with a growl. The car seems clean though, but if they bug me then they know where the car is, as I’m the one driving you around.” Alexis thought out loud.

     “Is it safe to talk then?” Alice whispered.

     “Yes the signal is still transmitting, but the glove box is soundproofed, so if they did wire my purse for sound, they can’t hear anything right now, other than the noise of the car on the road.” Alexis grinned at her sister. “I bet they’ve done something with my phone as well.” Alexis said as she pushed a button on the dash and then waited for Bill, Ted or Lana to answer it.

    “You’re on the air with Lana, how may I help you?” Lana asked in a silly voice.

     “Hi Lana. Can you get Bill and Ted to do some scans of my purse and cell phone for me? Alice and I have been bugged, and I’d like to know why and by whom?” Alexis explained as she drove down the road.

     “You make friends fast don’t you?” Lana giggled. “How was the big meeting with the parents?” Lana asked sounding more serious this time.

     “I think Alice found it a good form of therapy. She had a good go at our father just before she burst into tears and I had to take her to the restroom.”

     “Are you okay again now baby?” Lana asked with worry in her voice.

     “I’m fine now, but I think I went a little too far with the bitch version of me.” Alice said as she thought about the way she spoke to her mother just before she left for lunch.

     “I thought you were a little hard on her as well sis.” Alexis pointed out.

     “Don’t tell me the two of you are going soft on me over all this?” Lana asked with shock in her voice this time. “Just remember what they both did to you seven years ago.” Lana reminded them, worried that either Alice or Alexis could spill the beans about what they do for a living, and the fact that Alex is still alive, and now a copy of his sister.

     “We’ve not forgotten anything Lana, but I just get the feeling that our mother had very little to do with what happened. Our father on the other hand seems to hate the very mention of the name Alex still.” Alexis pointed out.

     “All men are bastards if you ask me.” Lana said sounding angry.

     “Harsh words dudette.” Bill’s voice said over the car speakers.

     “Okay, not all men are bastards, just most of them. You and Ted don’t count.” Lana corrected herself with a sigh.

     “Do you have the scan result for my cell phone Bill?” Alexis asked trying to get back on topic again.

     “Yes we have it G, and they did try to clone the sim card, but they ended up downloading that virus Ted and I designed, so we will have access to all their data the minute they try to use the cloned sim.” Bill said with some pride in his voice for what he and Ted had managed to do.

     “Who are these people to be pushing so hard so fast?” Lana asked with worry in her voice.

     “I think they’re just pushing so hard to see if we push back, so I think it’s best to let them think they have the upper hand for the time being and just play along.” Alexis told them all. “Did you tap into their system okay this morning?” Alexis asked.

     “Yes, no problems at all G.” Ted’s voice said. “We can check on everything except what goes on in lab one, due to it being a standalone system with no outside network.” Ted Explained.

     “Did you see the person that planted the bug in your purse and then cloned your sim card in your cell Lexi?” Lana asked.

     “I got an image of the guy using these glasses that Bill designed; just give me a second to place them on the scanner, so you can take the data off them.” Alexis said as she removed the glasses she was wearing so Alice could place them on a section of the dash where Bill and Ted had built in a scanning device that can copy information from any electronic device placed on top of it.

     “You can scan them now Bill.” Alice said after she placed the glasses on the dash.

     “He called himself Mr Blonde, and he acted a little too cool for my liking.” Alexis pointed out her doubts about Mr Blonde. “And no he looked nothing like the guy who played him in the film Reservoir Dogs either, before you ask.” Alexis added, cutting off any talk of the film and what Mr Blonde did in that movie.

     “Acted cool? He was hitting on her like she was a super model.” Alice giggled.

     “He did what?” Came Sarah’s voice sounding angry and a little jealous.

     “Nothing happened Sarah, so don’t get all worked up over nothing.” Alexis said trying to calm Sarah back down again. “He was just flirting with me to get closer to Alice for some reason we still need to work out.” Alexis explained.

     “It’s a little funny when you think about it Sarah.” Alice said. “Why would any man be interested in Lexi looking like she does at the minute? Unless he’s after something.” Alice added as she looked over at Alexis in her chubby disguise.

     “Men still find me attractive.” Alexis argued.

     “Very true sis, bit not someone like Mr Blonde.” Alice pointed out the floor in Alexis’s argument.

     “You do have a point there sis, and he was acting a little too friendly as well.” Alexis agreed.

     “What do you mean by to friendly?” Sarah shouted.

     “Will you please calm down Saz! I’m on a mission, not looking for a date remember?” Alexis said trying to make Sarah understand that she wasn’t planning on spending any time with any men.

     “Sorry Lexi, but I’m just worried about you being so close to your parents.” Sarah said in a sad voice this time. “I do trust you baby.” She added sounding much happier.

     “I know you do Saz, but you need to remember that normally they fall in love, or just like the looks of the person I’m pretending to be.” Alexis tried to explain. “But this Mr Blonde or whoever he is, was just trying to flirt with me in case his plan to clone my sim and plant a bug failed.” Alexis added with a hint of anger in her voice.

     “Your Mr Blonde comes back clean, a little to clean looking at this.” Lana’s voice sounded puzzled.

     “What does that mean Lana?” Alexis asked as she drove around in the car, checking to see if they were being followed, but not seeing anything that stood out.

     “Well there were no hits on facial recognition, and up until three years ago, he never existed at all.” Lana said with a worried tone.

     “I knew there was something off with that guy.” Alexis growled. “Keep checking to see if you can find out who he use to be before he worked at Diablo.” Alexis asked.

     “What do you plan to do while we do that?” Lana asked.

     “Alice and I will just keep up the cover and see what else we can find out.”

     “You better sort out another place for us to stay while were here as well Lana.” Alice said. “Diablo arranged the suites we’re going to be stopping at, and if Lexi is right, then the rooms are bound to be bugged as well.” Alice warned.

     “I’ll get a list of other places for you to stop and then email it to the computer in the car for you. The last thing we need is them tracking the booking back to one of our shell companies.” Lana said as she started tapping away on the computer looking for another hotel for Alice and Alexis to book into.

     “Won’t Diablo think it a little odd you moving to another hotel though?” Sarah asked.

     “Alice has done well at selling herself as a bit of a diva, so it shouldn’t be too much trouble for her to whine about noise or some other little detail that made us move.” Alexis said with a grin as she looked over at a grinning Alice sat next to her.

     “We better let you go and get some lunch or do something to give you a reason to be out during your lunch break.” Lana said. “Just be careful in there, and at the first sign of trouble get out, or just keep your head down Alice.” Lana warned.

     “I always do baby.” Alice giggled. “We’ll talk to you all later. Bye Lana my love.”

     “You better come back to me in one piece as well Lexi.” Sarah warned Alexis in a stern voice.

     “That’s the plan Saz.” Alexis said with a grin in her voice. “I’ll chat later, bye babe.” Alexis said just before she hit the button to end the call.

    Alexis drove around for a little bit longer like she was looking for a particular place and then she parked up outside a Deli so she could get her and Alice something to eat.

     “I think we better remain in character while we’re out and about as well Alice.” Alexis said to a sad looking Alice.

     “But I hate being that way with you sis.” Alice whined. “Can’t I tone it down a little and act like we’re friends?” She asked with a pleading look.

     “Okay, but don’t say too much until we get back to Diablo though, just in case they don’t have ears on us. You can play it up for mum and dad to see at the same time.” Alexis smiled. “I’m sure it will make mum feel better if she sees you trying to be nice to the chubby little assistant.” Alexis added with a giggled as she pattered her porky little belly.

     “I don’t give a damn what they think Brenda.” Alice said as she got back into character again.

     “Didn’t you enjoy seeing them just a little Miss Farrey?” Alexis asked as she got her purse out the glove box and then got out the car and walked around to help Alice get out.

     “No, not really Miss Cliff.” Alice said in a huff. “I just want to get this project back on track and then get away from them both. I just hope to never see them again after this.” Alice added just before she stormed off in front of Alexis and entered the Deli, leaving Alexis to run after her.


*****

    Paul and Pamela were sat at the one computer working on something when Alice and Alexis entered the room again. Alexis had placed her purse in the centre of the tray and then measured off with her hand to make sure it hadn’t been moved when she came back for it later, she then did the same with Alice’s before gently closing the draw so as not to move it. If they had moved when she came to collect them later, then she would know someone had repeated the same process with Alice’s purse as Mr Blonde had done with hers. Neither cell phone Alice and Alexis was using were of any great importance to them, as they were just props to back up the roles they were playing, even if Alice was playing herself, the phone was still a prop and not her real one.

     “Hello dear, did you have a nice lunch?” Pamela asked with a smile, still trying to win Alice over with kindness and patents.

     “Yes thank you. Brenda and I found a nice little Deli in the city.” Alice said without any of the earlier bitchiness.

     “You and Brenda?” Pamela asked with a smile as she looked at Alice’s assistant smiling. “Does this mean you get to call Alice by her first name as well?” Pamela asked Alexis.

     “I’m not sure Mrs... Sorry, Pamela. This is the first time she’s ever used my first name.” Alexis said adding fake shock to her expression.

     “You may call me Alice when we’re alone Brenda, but when at work or in meetings, I think it best to stick with you calling me Miss Farrey.” Alice said as she turned to look at Alexis with a small smile on her face.

     “Thank you so much Miss Farrey.” Alexis said with a grin.

     “You may call me Alice while we’re in here as well Brenda.” Alice pointed out.

     “Thank you Alice.” Alexis said, trying out the name like she’d never done it before.

     “You’re welcome Brenda, now get to work before I have to fire you and find someone more suited for the job.” Alice said, but there was no real threat to her words.

     “Yes Alice, right away.” Alexis said with a bounce in her step she went over and got stuck into checking all the data printouts again.

     “Thank you for doing that Alice.” Pamela smiled at her daughter.

     “I didn’t do it for you Pamela.” Alice said looking a little angry again.

     “I know you didn’t honey, but I wanted to thank you anyway for making Brenda feel better about herself.” Pamela said as she looked at a smiling Assistant doing her work.

    Alice was puzzled as the afternoon went on; she started to notice silly little mistakes in the programming on the guidance chip. Mistakes her parents wouldn’t normally make. Alice was going to have a world with Alexis away from the lab and Diablo before she brought any of it up with her parents. Alice thought it was almost like they were trying to sabotage their own project for some reason. Alice was so lost in thought that she jumped when Pamela tapped her on the shoulder.

     “I’m sorry Alice; I didn’t mean to make you jump.” Pamela said as she stepped back with her hands up in a none offensive way.

     “It’s alright mother... I was lost in thought anyway, so it was more my fault than yours I was startled.” Alice said recovering from the slip of calling Pamela, mother.

    Pamela’s face lit up like a child on Christmas morning when she heard Alice say the word mother, even if it was just a slip. “I was wondering you you’d like to join me and your father for some dinner this evening?” Pamela tried again to sort out some time with her daughter, but expecting another rejection like she got just before lunch.

     “I’m sorry but I can’t tonight Pamela. It’s been a long day and I just want to spend some time alone.” Alice said looking at the sparkle drain from her mother’s eyes as she spoke to her. “But I’d like to do it tomorrow night when I won’t feel quite as tired as I do now.” Alice added wanting to see her mother smile again for some strange reason.

     “Really?” Pamela asked looking excited again at the thought of having a meal with her daughter.

     “Yes, really.” Alice smiled when she saw how happy it had just made her mother look to find out that she wanted to have dinner with them, just not tonight.

    Alexis almost dropped her pen when she heard Alice agree to have dinner with her parents. Part in shock and part in jealousy for the fact Alice was going to get a chance to sit and have a meal with their parents. It drove home to Alexis what had happened seven years ago, and how she was still the disowned child. Alexis could hear someone calling a name, but it wasn’t her name, so she took no notice of it until she felt someone give her a shove, which was when she realised it was Alice calling Brenda’s name.

     “Brenda! Stop daydreaming and tell me where we are on that data I asked you to look over.” Alice snapped. “I gather you must be done if you’ve got time to waste daydreaming.” Alice added sarcastically.

    Alexis looked at Alice with pure rage in her eyes as she snapped the pen in half she’d been holding, covering her hand in black ink. She got up from the table she’d been sat at and just left the room without saying a word to Alice.

    Alice knew something was wrong with Alexis, but she couldn’t go after her without blowing their cover story, so Alice was left in the room with her parents, worried about the reason for Alexis looking at her like she did, and why she’d just snapped a pen in half like she wished it was a person’s neck she was snapping.

     “I did warn you to be nicer to Brenda dear.” Pamela said as she stood next to Alice looking at the now closed door where Alexis had just stormed out the room. “Do you mind if I go and check on her Alice?” Pamela asked.

     “Please do mother.” Alice said looking hopeful that Alexis would be okay.


*****

    Alexis was in the same restroom down the hallway from the lab washing the ink off her hand when she heard a knock at the door just before she saw Pamela poke her head around the door and smile at her.

     “Is everything alright Brenda?” Pamela asked looking worried.

     “I’ll be fine in a couple of minutes Pamela.” Alexis snuffled as she realised she’d been crying while she tried to wash the ink off.

     “You don’t sound fine honey.” Pamela said as she walked over and grabbed some tissues on her way over so she could wipe Alexis’s eyes for her. She removed Alexis’s glasses and placed them on the counter top, and then she set to work drying her eyes for her. Alexis hadn’t put much makeup on, and what she had used around her eye was part of the mask so it hadn’t run as she cried.

     “I’m sorry; it wasn’t very professional of me was it?” Alexis said as she looked her mother in the eyes, as she fought the urge to throw her arms around the woman and hug her to death.

    No it’s not honey, but it is only human of you.” Pamela smiled. “Alice isn’t normally like this I bet, is she?” Pamela asked.

     “No she’s not.” Alexis said. “She’s normally much worse.” Alexis added with a little giggle.

     “Well if that’s the case, then what got you so upset this time?” Pamela asked as she led Alexis over to a long padded bench and made her take a seat while they spoke.

     “It was just looking at the way Alice spoke to you and your husband through the day. I’d love to spend time with my parents and have them want me around like you do Alice.” Alexis said as she told Pamela the truth.

     “I take it you don’t speak to your parent’s anymore then Brenda?” Pamela asked trying to get the woman to open up to her a bit.

     “No, they said I’m dead to them.” Alexis snuffled.

     “I’m sorry to hear that Brenda. Have you ever tried to get in contact with them?” Pamela asked looking hopeful. “It worked for Alice and us.”

     “I wish I could, but it’s not possible.” Alexis said with a sigh.

     “Oh I see. Sorry about that.” Pamela said jumping to the conclusion that both of Brenda’s parents were dead. Alexis just let her think that. “May I ask why you keep working with Alice if she makes you feel like this, and treats you like she does?”

     “I do wonder about that myself sometimes, but then she does something and needs my help.” Alexis smiled up at her mother. “She may be super smart, but she can be so dumb at times to go with it.” Alexis giggled. “Sorry, I shouldn’t talk about your daughter like that.”

     “I can’t argue with the truth can I?” Pamela giggled as she bumped Alexis in the shoulder with her own.

    Alexis found herself giggling like she use to as a child back when she was still a he and his mum would make him feel better when he was feeling down over some punishment his father had handed out. “Thank you for coming to talk to me Pamela.” Alexis smiled.

     “Glad I could help honey, now we better get back and make sure Alice and Paul haven’t tried to kill each other.” Pamela said with a grin as she stood up and then helped Alexis get to her feet. “I hope you don’t have any plans for tomorrow night Brenda? You’ll be joining us for dinner as well.” Pamela told Alexis with a look that she remembered only too well from growing up. The look meant that no amount of talking would do any good, and Alexis would be joining Alice and her parents for dinner.

     “Alice won’t want me there Pamela.” Alexis said trying to get out of the meal anyway, even if her mother had just given her that look that said it was going to be pointless.

     “Don’t be silly Brenda. You’re the closing thing to a friend I’ve seen Alice with since her...” Pamela trailed off before she said anymore.

     “Were you going to say since the thing with her brother Alex?” Alexis asked.

     “Yes, since her brother died.” Pamela said with a faraway look in her eyes.

     “Do you feel the same way about him as your husband does?” Alexis asked hoping to get some insight as to why she never tried to fight her husband’s decision to disown Alex and just walk away.

     “It’s complicated Brenda, but no I never did agree, but I had to go along with what Paul said to keep Alice safe. She was trying to prove to everyone that it was her in trouble and her brother was just covering for her.” Pamela said with a little smile as she thought about something. “I was talking to people trying to get her brother moved to a prison closer to where we were living at the time, but we got the news he’d been killed in prison before we could get anything finalised.” Pamela added as she wiped away a tear.

    Alexis let out a gasp as she felt her legs go weak and she had to grab the wall to steady herself. “I thought you’d just disowned him and forgotten all about him from what Alice said.” Alexis added the last bit when she saw Pamela looking at her funny, like she knew more about Alice and her brother than she’d first let on.

     “Alice never knew anything about it; we didn’t want to get her hopes up, just to have them dashed again if we couldn’t get him moved. Then he got killed and Alice left home and never spoke to us until today.” Pamela said with a smile, even if it did look like a forced one.


*****

    Alice had just finished cleaning up the mess Alexis had made with the pen she broke just before running from the room, when she heard the door open; she turned to see Alexis and Pamela enter the room looking much happier than they had when they left. Pamela had gone to see if Alexis was alright, or if Brenda was alright as Alexis was in disguise. Alice had been trying to work out what could have made Alexis act in such a way. The only thing that made any sense to her was the fact she’d agreed to have dinner with her parents, but Alice had planned to get Alexis invited from the minute she agreed to the dinner date. Alexis would be Brenda of cause.

     “Are you alright Brenda?” Alice asked with a little too much worry in her voice as she walked over to where Alexis was stood with their mother just inside the room.

     “Yes I’m fine Alice, and I’m sorry for walking out on you like I did.” Alexis said with a bow of her head.

     “No, I’m the one that’s sorry for snapping at you like I did Brenda. I’ve been in a foul mood all day, and I’ve been taking it out on you.” Alice said making a show of trying to be friendlier to her in front of their mother.

    Alexis’s mind was still spinning from the news her mother had just given her about her and her father working on getting Alex moved to a closer prison when he died. She wanted to tell Alice all about it, but couldn’t without their parents finding out about who she really was now, so she had to keep quiet and try to play the role of Alice’s chubby little assistant.

    Alice could see by the look in Alexis’s eyes, even if she was wearing glasses and had coloured contacts in to alter the way they looked. Alice still knew her sister well enough to see when something had happened while Alexis was out the lab with their mother. Alice’s worrying thoughts about what could have happened were broken when she heard her mother call her name.

     “Alice dear? I’ve invited Brenda to join us for dinner tomorrow evening. She has no friends in the area, and I would like to get a little more background on what you’ve been doing these past six years.” Pamela said to Alice in such a way as it was more her being told Brenda was coming, and don’t try to say otherwise.

     “I understand you wanting to spend some time with you parents Alice, so I will understand if you wish me not to come.” Alexis said giving Alice an opening to get her out of the dinner date.

    Alice took great pleasure in closing said opened door with her next words. “I think that would be a wonderful idea mother. No one knows me as well as Brenda does.”

    Alexis had to let go of Alice’s hand just in case she broke it like she had the pen earlier. She could see the playful smirk in her sister’s eyes, but couldn’t understand the reason behind Alice torturing her with spending more time than she needed to spend around her ex parents. Alexis was now working in the same lab as the parents that disowned her seven years ago, or who she thought had disowned her, and she had a dinner date to look forward to. A dinner date that would mean Alexis pretending to be Alice’s assistant and run off rehearsed stories of what Alice had done in the past three years since Brenda started working for her.

 

To Be Continued Next Sunday  

 

Story by SaraUK

 

Edited and Posted by SamanthaK

    EDITORS NOTE: Please Comment and/or leave Kudos and let Sara know you like her work please, Any comments on spelling, grammar or the layout of the story please PM me “Samanthak” not Sara. Thank you

up
177 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

What if....

They are working for the company to see what is going on there. If talk is what I think it is then it would be funny if that talk was about Alex and how they felt about what happened. If there father is mixed in all of this and the mother is not, I like to see the mother come and work with them. She can help with the mission from the base and teach the young ones.

Joshlyn Amanda

Definitely some wheels within wheels thing

I am definitely getting hints that their parents might be working under duress. I suspect it will be up to the children to save the parents this go round. I don't see any resolution will be straight forward one though as there is a lot of hard feelings to overcome. I see hope for the mother but not so much for dear old dad.

Even if all this resolves, Dad will probably still only grudgingly accept that he was wrong and I doubt it will be all rainbows and ponies for Alice and Lexi.

I love however how being like a 'complete stranger' is helping to bridge the communications issue.

Mr. Blonde? *rolls eyes*

Kim

Yeah!

Blonde. James Blonde.

Hee hee!

Wren

Wrong, but close

That's Blonde, Jane Blonde. http://www.meetjaneblonde.com/


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Project Guardian: Book 2, Chapter 11.

Maybe they can find the healing that is needed, but wonder if they will discover the truth about their son/daughter by observation. And what of Blonde?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Something's fishy...

What if all of their parent's conflict was work related? It almost feels like theyn are being somehow forced to work there, but they are subtly sabotaging the project. Could the issue with Alex and Alice have been a by-product of heavy stress from work? Are Paul and Pamela possibly agents for another organization?
I can't wait for the next chapter!

Wren