The Changing Woman: A Wyld Universe Story- Part 4

Printer-friendly version

In the Wyld World, there are many religions, just as there is in this world. However, in the Wyld World, there is one thing that practically all religions have in common: They are the final word in terms of what is, and what isn't, acceptable.

Enter young Nate Redbone, Native American of the Navajo tribe. He has almost turned 20, and still hasn't gone Wyld. However, once Nate becomes Natalie, how will he be treated amongst his own people? And in return, can he accept them as well?

The Changing Woman
Natalie_0.jpg
A Wyld Universe Story
by AoifeM

I travelled along with my new companion as we reached a beautiful green forest. I didn’t know what to think about her. I was enamored and yet nervous by her presence. I knew I was dreaming, yet, could this be something more?

“Are you really Asdzą́ą́ Ná¡dleehé?” I asked. I began to turn to her only to receive a fruit as it impacted my face.

“What do you think?” she responded with a playful grin on her face.

“I don’t know,” I admitted. “From what I was taught I never knew you to be quite the prankster.”

“Those stories kinda are boring, aren’t they?” She quipped. “Can’t act all serious all the time, ya know? Makes life dull.”

“I guess I can agree with you there,” I concurred. “But if you’re Asdzą́ą́ Ná¡dleehé, then what does that make me?”

“Well, duh!” she said if it I was missing the obvious. “It’s not like everyone doesn’t share my bloodline or whatever! You have a piece of me just like everyone else!” She began to stare at my nude body intently, adding, “And I must say that part of me seems to really show in you. You look hawt!”

I instinctively used my hands to cover my naughty bits from her view, even though it was kind of hopeless considering there was no clothes in sight.

“Hehe,” she giggled, “Now you’re getting bashful?”

I lowered my defenses. There were more important things than to get worked up over this.

“Look, Nattie,” she began, “I can call you that, right? Listen, I know you aren’t thrilled about being a girl. And I know you didn’t sign up to be some trophy piece for some perverse rendition of our people’s religion. But there is one thing that they said that is very true. You are very special. You can lead our people, no, not just our people, but people of all races, genders, and creeds, both Wyld and human. That is possible. But not like this.”

“But how?” I asked. “I’m kind of defenseless against these guys, if you hadn’t noticed.”

“Huh, nope,” she teased, “but don’t you worry your sweet little head! You just leave your escape to me! In the meantime, try not to get on their bad side again. That bump on your head doesn’t really help matters. Plus it doesn’t go well with the rest of your succulent little body. Gotta keep that complexion in tip top shape, some girls aren’t so lucky, you know?”

I couldn’t help but roll my eyes after that comment. Still, she’s right. I couldn’t afford to lose consciousness like this again. I had to stay alert, and when there was a chance to escape, take it. Meanwhile I’ll just go with flow reluctantly…for now.

“If I make it through all of this, I don’t suppose we’ll meet again, will we?” I asked. I didn’t know why, but it felt good just being around her.

“Hey, like I said,” she began answering, “You are a part of me. I’m sure we’ll meet up again very soon!” We both embraced in a hug as we told our goodbyes.

With her head lying on my shoulders she whispered, “Now, little Nattie, it’s time you…GET UP!”


That shook me awake.

Getting up I didn’t realize I was under was under the covers and dressed in a frilly nightgown, surrounded by what looked like a trio of older looking ladies, all of whom seemed to be if I were to put my finger on it, my servants.

…Yep, should’ve probably not have passed out. Look where it’s got me.

“Oh, great lady!” One of my servants began. “Blessed that you have returned from your long slumber!”

Great, I thought to myself as I habitually followed with the roll of my eyes. Damn it if this wouldn't be a difficult habit to break.

To the left of me was the second of the three ladies, completing the finishing touches of what appeared to be a traditional Navajo Manta. It didn’t take me long to realize whose body that cloth would be wrapped around- mine.

The first servant turned my attention back to her. “We haven’t much time, my dear. Your man awaits your arrival. We mustn’t keep him waiting any longer.”

That man…ugh. I wish I never had to see that bastard’s face again. To believe I was almost… All I could do was shake my head, and be thankful he didn’t go through with it.

It still didn’t change my feelings for the man, however. I don’t know what great “plan” Asdzą́ą́ Ná¡dleehé had, but she better think of something quick. I had no plans of being this creep’s wife.

It’s so funny. Why am I putting faith into this? After all, wasn’t it just a dream? A rather convincing dream, to say the least, but it was a dream nonetheless. Being concussed probably could do those things to you. What made me believe that was the “true” Asdzą́ą́ Ná¡dleehé, and not just a figment of my imagination?

I was literally putting my life in the hands of something I couldn’t truly prove was real. Maybe I’m starting to become as crazy as the ones who were holding me captive. That was a pleasant thought…not!

Sadly that’s all I had left however; just me and my irrational thoughts, praying, hoping that they weren’t some cruel hoax I made up.

The first two ladies were in the process of fitting me into my unofficial “wedding dress”, the traditional Navajo Manta. I didn’t even understand what was so complicated about the damn thing- it was just a blanket! Yet they seemed so determined to tighten it around my torso to accentuate my curves and make it the most unbearable piece of clothing to be worn ever. With the sash tying the Manta in place they finally let me go. It was so suffocating I could almost imagine a corset being more comfortable!

Then entered the third of the old ladies, carrying my wedding naja- a squash blossom necklace made with silver and adorned in gems of turquoise. “Only the best for our princess,” she declared.

They proceeded to adorn my body in precious jewelry: the necklace, along with match sets of silver and turquoise bracelets and earrings were endowed on my person. I had my ears pierced back when I was still Nate, and I never could have thought that those ears would be wearing something so elegant, or girly for that matter.

“You are a stunning vision, my lady,” The first servant commended. “Já³honaaʼéá­ would no doubtingly agree.”

Please don’t remind me.

“We must make haste!” The final servant implored me. “Your husband awaits!”

Ugh? Why me?

Exiting from the log house made immediately made me realize I wasn’t in Durango anymore. I was somewhere else entirely, yet the surroundings were obvious I soon as I noticed the platform in the distance. This was the old Four Corners National Park. Once it was a very marketable part of the Navajo economy; seeing the White Man pay exorbitant prices just to stand on the corners of four states. However, since our recent statehood the novelty has worn off. It seemed like the Shaman had plans for the place, however. Now it became the altar of my wedding- the very wedding I wanted no part of.

And on that altar indeed were the Shaman, and “Já³honaaʼéá­,” each looking at me like an object, just some pawn towards a bigger goal. For the Shaman, that was transcendence into some “Fifth World,” or some garbage. The other one I hadn’t a clue, but I knew it wouldn’t be good, the evidence still lies on the edge of my forehead, although the knot had shrunk quite a bit since then.

Slowly I made my way to the altar, my legs shaking not only because of my tightly bound Manta dress inhibiting my movements, but also because of the fear that was quickly rising to the surface. Please, I thought to myself. Please, please be real, Asdzą́ą́ Ná¡dleehé. Please don’t be just a figment of my imagination. You’re my only hope now.

I browse the crowd who gathered for this auspicious occasion. They seemed lifeless, almost in a trance, and as pale as a Native American could get. I wanted to see my family. Anyone would do; Haylie, my dad. Hell, I wouldn’t mind if it was my mother for that matter, regardless of how annoying she could be. Just wanted someone, anyone, to come and take me away from this place.

I stepped up to the altar above me, and for some odd reason the Shaman came up to me and offered up two ears of corn. “I’m sure you’ve heard the saying, child,” He commented. “Do not eat twin ears of corn or you will have twins. Of course I don’t see the harm in that. In ages past your twin sons did accomplish so many great things. I can’t foresee anything less from the ones you’ll bear in the future.”

Reluctant I took the cobs from him. He saw me, obvious resistant on taking part of some inane ritual. With increasing impatience he directed me once again. “Eat!”

Honestly I didn’t believe in such superstition. It’s just the principle of it all, like I had no right to decide what I wanted to do with my body, even down to the very last detail. Still I suppose it could at least delay this faux-wedding, even if it was for just a little while longer. So I decided to just go with it and took a bite from both ears of corn. Hopefully I was right about the whole superstition thing and it wouldn’t come back to bite me in the ass later.

Ecstatic the Shaman turned to his captive audience and shouted, “The ceremony has begun!” The crowd responded with a coordinated cheer, and slowly I felt my hope begin to drain. I was running out of time.

I stood in front of my worst enemy. I hadn’t been a girl for a whole month yet and he quickly made it the most unpleasant experience. I swear if I ever get out of this he’ll get his. I never made a promise I didn’t keep, and I always get even with those who mess with me.

He could see the burning anger inside me, and he gave me a rather smug look like he was enjoying it. Bastard.

“You find this a little unnecessary don’t you?” He whispered. “Believe me, I truly agree. The whole “Sun God and Changing Woman nonsense, it’s all just some fairy tale. But, whatever. If this appeases your people I suppose I can play the part. Anything for my revenge.”

Finally he was beginning to talk some sense, even though it still didn't change the fact he was crazy. “I don’t know anything about your past, or what you’re planning revenge on,” I conceded, “but I refuse to be treated like a piece of meat. I’m not a pawn in your game!”

“Well, you don’t have to be,” he replied. “For a man turned woman you do have such unbelievable beauty. You could always rule with me willingly.”

“Get bent!” I yelled. After all that he’s done, there would be no turning sides. I’d rather die than just willingly “go with it.”

His grin just got bigger as he turned his attention to the Shaman, who was still basking in the audience’s glow. “We’re wasting time,” he stated grimly. “Let’s get on with it, Hatalii!”

“Ah yes,” The Shaman agreed and he walked over to begin reciting vows. Standing in front us, his voice boomed. “Joyous is the day of our people! The rebirth of our two great Gods, who stand right before us! This day will be remembered amongst the Diné people! This evening, we reunite Asdzą́ą́ Ná¡dleehé with her companion, Já³honaaʼéá­. With their infinite wisdom and guidance, together they shall lead us to the new world, a utopia unscarred and unblemished!”

I could see the in the imposter’s eyes his growing impatience. The Shaman also realized this, and got to the point.

“My Lord,” he began to speak to him, “I’m sure you already know the rites of marriage belongs to the lady. She is the deciding factor of her life. Her inheritance, her land, her royal title and the titles that she will pass on to her offspring as the generations move on, those are hers and hers alone. Thus is the ways of our people.”

I had one wild card and I didn’t even think about it! The Navajo traditionally were a matrilineal society. It was the women who traditionally owned the land, and all the possessions within it. And it was theirs to do with as they wish. Which meant I and only I could decide to go through with the marriage, not him. I’m surprised that the Shaman was that deep into tradition that he would actually give me the authority to ruin his grand plans.

Of course, that’s if “Já³honaaʼéá­” would let me. I know of his power, and it didn’t seem as if he cared whether or not he had to get my permission by force if need be.

I mulled it all over. I said I would rather die than marry him, but did I really? Even though I was a girl, I still loved life. I can grow to accept myself like this, if need be. But to die like this? I just didn’t know if I could do it. I’m not a martyr!

My continued silence caused “Já³honaaʼéá­’s” rage to boil over. “Say it,” he demanded. I could see the fire in his eyes. I stood steadfast however. I didn’t know if I was being brave or reckless, but I just couldn’t say yes. It went against everything I believed in.

He immediately grabbed my wrists tightly in a violent matter and raised his voice. “Say it!” he cried. “Say i-“

I saw smoke rise from below. It originated from my wrists where he was grabbing. His hands were beginning to blister! Then I realized, could it be my bracelets?”

“Aaaaarggh!” he growled as he released his grasp, yelping from the pain. There was my chance. I made my escape, as most of the audience was more concerned with the health of “Já³honaaʼéá­.”

I ran as hard as my little feet could take me. All of a sudden I could hear a familiar voice from up above.

“Up here!” She cried. It was Shawna. And with her talons she quickly grabbed a hold of my shoulders. With no hesitation she shouted, “Hold on!” and she began to lift me from the ground, flying me to safety.

I was free. Thank the Gods…or rather thank the Goddess.

up
112 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

You weave well.

Your story and way of weaving it does you credit. Thank You for a wonderful tale of redemption and empowerment.

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

I try

I've felt like I've gotten a lot better at it the past few months. Biggest thing is when I write I do my best to research a lot of things. Particularly this one, considering I have absolutely no Native American blood in me.

And while this story is far from over (We haven't seen the gist of Natalie's powers yet), I try my best to at least have my characters reach a positive outcome. Sometimes it's hard to notice sometimes as even I feel I may keep on piling on their problems. Of course, unlike my previous characters I think Natalie will be more accepting of her change, particularly since she has her friend, Shawna, and little sister Haylie helping her out.

Free!

That's good news, but I doubt this guy will give up easily

DogSig.png

Nope

Things are about to get much worse.

Interesting escape.

And no we still haven't seen Natalie's power(s) as of yet.

This could get ugly for awhile, couldn't it?

Maggie

Oh yeah.

And it all doesn't directly involve Natalie.

Helps to have friends in *high places* -- grin --

So the shaman is a fool or is being controlled... but the intended groom, talking about revenge and all?

Revenge on the white man or revenge on her people? As he is NOT a believer I suspect he is an outsider who simply LOOKS like one of her people. Os is he of her's but his family was *wronged* many years ago. Whoever he is he deserves a good knock down.

And this goddess told her she had potential to be a great leader and not just of her people?

BTW the crowd was acting odd. Just in awe/religious fervor or, drugged, mindcontrol?

Sure hope her dear friend doesn't get hurt.

About time the coytes and other animals offer her some real help.

This chapter opens several cans of worms.

MORE plot complictions. YUMMY!

Have fun.

This is going nicely.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa